||Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Ayres Sr. Mt. Zoar St., announce the
marriage of their daughter, Helen Ayres to James R. Greatsinger of Pine
City R.D.1. the marriage took place Sunday ?(can’t read) 26, 1948)
||The marriage of Miss Martha A. Bailey of 411 DeWitt Avenue
and Kenneth I. Canis of 409 Pleasant Street was solemnized Monday evening
at 8 o’clock at the parsonage of the First M. E. Church. The Rev. John
Richards, pastor of the church performed the ceremony, using the ring service.
They were attended by Miss Helen Hemenway and Leo Fioravanti. After a brief
wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. Canis will reside at 411 DeWitt Avenue.
||A very pretty wedding took place at the home of Mr. and
Mrs. H. D. Baker, of Pine City, at 8:30 o’clock, when their only daughter,
Miss Estella Maud, was married to Kismith J. Balcome of this city. The
groom is a popular employee on the Lackawanna railroad, and the bride is
a highly respected young woman. The bride was gowned in white silk trimmed
with Irish point lace. The bridesmaid, Miss Nina Eastman of this city,
wore pink and white. The best man was Harry Baker of this city. The ceremony
was performed by a cousin of the bride, the Rev. Frederic H. Baker, pastor
of the First Baptist church of Canisteo, the ring service being used. After
the wedding dinner Mr. and Mrs. Balcome left for a short trip. They will
be “at home after September 10 at 366 East Thurston street, this city.
(handwritten on article – Aug 30, 1911)
||On the evening of August 25 a very pleasant surprise and
kitchen shower was given to Miss Estella Barber by her friends at her home
near Pine City. She received many useful articles. The evening was spent
in games after which ice cream and cake was served. Those present were:
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Young and family, Mrs. R. P. Longwell and son, Charles,
Mr. and Mrs. Brown and family, Mr. and Mrs. John Van Wert, Mr. and Mrs.
Edwin Vail and son, Howard, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Andrus and daughter, Gladys,
Mrs. J. N.Sherman, son Erir and daughter Rosemond, Allen Ayers, Mr. and
Mrs. Horace Baker, son Jess and daughter, Estella.
||The marriage of Miss Theda Barr,daughter of Mr.and Mrs.
F. Barr of College avenue to Mason Oldroyd of Elmira, took place last night
at Horseheads, the Rev. Merritt A. Soper performing the ceremony at his
residence on Orchard Street. The bridesmaids were Miss Ethel Oldroyd and
Miss Hazel Loughead. John Barr, a brother of the bride, and Fred Lynderbury,
were best men. The bride was prettily gowned in white, wore a bridal veil
and carried a shower bouquet of bride’s roses. The bridesmaids were gowned
in pink and blue voile and carried pink roses. A wedding supper was served
at the home of the bride’s parents on the return of the bridal party from
Horseheads, to which only the immediate relatives and a few friends were
invited. Mr. and Mrs. Oldroyd left last night for a two weeks’ bridal tour
through the northern part of the state. The bride was the recipient of
many wedding gifts, and has the best wishes of many friends. The bridegroom
is an employee of the Willys-Morrow plant,and an esteemed young man. (handwr
||Miss Frances I. Besley of Gillett, Pa. And Glenn F. Balmer
of Pine City were married Friday afternoon by the Rev. George G. Burroughs
at Pine City. They were attended by Comforte C. Starr of Pine City and
Miss Florence Besley, sister of the bride. (handwritten on article – 1934)
||BESLEY - STROPE
||RUTH BESLEY BRIDE OF HAROLD STROPE - Announcement is made
of the marriage of Miss Ruth A. Besley to Harold LeRoy Strope, both of
Pine City, Friday, July 4, 1947. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Stephen B. Besley of Pine City. Mr. Strope is the son of Clive Strope and
the late Mrs. Strope, also of Pine City. The ceremony took place at 11
a.m. at the Pine City Baptist Church with the Rev. L. M. Blackmer officiating.
Traditional wedding music was played by Mrs. Henry M. Weigle. Mrs. Strope
was given in marriage by her father. She chose an aqua linen street length
dress with white accessories and carried a corsage of white roses on a
white prayer book. Miss Joan Lain of Horseheads was the bride's only attendant.Her
dress was of pink linen, street length, with which she wore white accessories.
She carried a colonial bouquet of roses and sweet peas. Best man was Rexford
Balmer of Pine City. Robert Manchester and Merle Taylor ushered. A lawn
reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents for about 8
||A pleasant surprise birthday party was given yesterday for
Alonzo Brown on his 82nd anniversary. Guests were present from Alba, Elmira,
and Toledo, besides the many from here. Mr. Brown is a veteran of the Civil
War and the birthday cake was decorated with 82 small silk flags. Another
cake bore the numerals 82 and a multitude of candles. The affair was unusually
pleasant. Those present were : Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Brown, the Rev. and
Mrs. A. J. Osborn, Mr. and Mrs. L. D. Longwell, Mr. and Mrs. John Curren,
Mr. and Mrs. Inman, Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher, Mr. and Mrs. William Barrett,
Mrs. Ophelia Pitt, Mrs. Sarah Pettingill, Mrs. Wilmot Gordon, Mrs. Mary
Inman, Miss Martha Forrest, Leroy Brown, Alonzo and Louis Curren, Joe and
Arthur Inman, Bert Barrett, Anna Craig, LaVelle, Ida, Rhena, Evelyn Curren
of Gillett: Mr. and Mrs. James MacNeal, Mrs. Asa Wilcox and daughter, Geraldine
of Elmira; Mrs. J. E. Andrus and son, Kenneth of Alba; Mrs. S. R. Argyle
and son Leroy of Toledo, O. (handwritten on article Sat. April 25,
||CANIS - BUTTERS
||Announcement of the betrothal of Miss Beverly Ann Canis
to Gerald E. Butters is made by her parents Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Canis,
Chester St. Miss Canis is employed in the office of the Gierston Tool Co.,
Inc. She is a 1948 graduate of Southside High School. Mr. Butters, son
of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Butter of Milan, Pa., is serving in the Navy aboard
the USS Nespelen.
||Beatrice E. Conklin and Lyle J. Van Bencoten, both of this
city, were married by the Rev. W. H.Wheatley at the home of Mr. and Mrs.
Charles Whitfield, in Penn Yan, Saturday afternoon, July 21st. They were
attended by William H. Allen and Miss Martha Meyer. They will reside in
Elmira. (handwritten on article – 1920)
||AVERY-CONNOLY & PLATE-CONNOLLY
||DUAL WEDDING HELD IN ELMIRA Blossburg – A double wedding
took place in the Pennsylvania Ave. Methodist Church parsonage, Elmira,
at 2 p.m. Feb. 17, the ceremonies being performed by the Rev. Bruce Pierce.
Miss Jeanette L. Avery, daughter of Mrs. Ben Connolly,678 Herrick St.,Elmira,
and Earl Avery of Covington, Pa., became the bride of Stanley W. Long,
son of Mrs. L. B. Long of 572 Monroe Ave, Rochester. Miss Mary Ellen Plate,
daughter of Fred Plate of Wellsburg, became the bride of Ben Connolly Jr.,
son of Mrs. Laura Alexander of Breesport, and Ben Connolly Sr., of Elmira.
Miss Avery is a stepsister of Mrs. Connolly. Following the ceremony a reception
was held at the home of the bride. Mrs. Long is a graduate of the Covington
High School and served 20 months in the Wac Air Corps.Mr. Long served five
years in the Pacific. Miss Plate served 16 months in the Wacs and Mr. Connolly
served six years in the Navy and recently re-enlisted for four more years
and will leave Mar. 1 for duty. The couple left for New York
||Cortright & VanAtta
||CHURCH FETE COMPLIMENTS TWO COUPLES Two couples celebrating
wedding anniversaries were honored Monday night at a Ladies Night dinner
of the Westside Methodist Church men’s club at the church. Celebrating
their golden wedding anniversary this year are Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Cortright
of 411 ½ W. Gray St. Mr. and Mrs. Albert H. VanAtta of 811 Gray
St. are celebrating their 47th anniversary. Gifts were presented to the
couples and congratulatory messages were given by Orlie Jayne and Elon
G. Pratt. A gift was also presented to R. B. Vermilya, director of the
choir at the church. Entertainment for the event was provided by the “Twain
Tones,” an Elmira College choral group of 23 voices, under the direction
of Marcia Hooper who also accompanied the group in a selection of popular
and sacred music.
||CURREN - FULLER
||Alonzo B. Curren and Ivah R. Fuller both of Gillett, Feb.
||Plans for a wedding in the near future have been made by
Miss Naomi Jane DeGraw and Kelley H. Deery Their engagement has been announced
by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest DeGraw of Pine City, Mr. Deery is the
son of Mr. and Mrs. Deery of Gillett, Pa.
||Miss Helen Edsall, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Austin Edsall,
of Pine City, and William Douglass Powell, of Meadville, Pa., were united
in marriage Tuesday afternoon at 1 o’clock, at the home of the bride’s
parents, the Rev. George H. Brainard, pastor of the Pine City Baptist church,
officiating. Only the members of the family and a few intimate friends
were present. A delightful course dinner followed the ceremony. The bride
was formerly a teacher in Meadville, Pa., where Mr. Powell was also engaged
as an instructor of music. Mr. and Mrs. Powell left for a trip to Chicago,
and will make their home in Nashville, Tenn. (handwritten on article –
||FOSTER - STORCH
||Miss Mina Foster, of Horseheads, and Mr. Carl W. Storch,
of Elmira, were united in marriage Wednesday, May 10, by the Rev. L. S.
Green, at the home of Mrs. Deering in Van Etten. (handwritten on article
||Miss Elizabeth Frost and Zalman L. Atwater were married
last evening. Mr. Atwater is a conductor on the E. C. & W. electric
car line. Mr. and Mrs. Atwater left on an extended trip to Rochester, Buffalo
and Detroit. They will reside in this city.
||Mr. and Mrs. William H. Palmer entertained recently, honoring
the 30th wedding anniversary of the latter’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. E.
Goodyear, of Pine City. Music and games were enjoyed during the evening.
Refreshments were served after.The table was centered with tulips. Mrs.
Percy A. Chapman of Elmira Heights, a niece, presented the couple an attractively
decorated anniversary cake. Mr. and Mrs. Goodyear received many felicitations
as well as numerous gifts. Mr. Goodyear’s gift to the latter was a string
of pearls. Present were: Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Goodyear and children, Mildred,
Frank and Earl, Miss Charlotte Walters, Pine City; Mr. and Mrs. Percy A.
Chapman, Elmira Heights; Mr. and Mrs. Clair Goodyear, Corning; Mr. and
Mrs. A. Rosekrans, Henry Rosekrans, Mr. and Mrs. E. Gillette Leavenworth,
Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Davis and daughter, Marjorie , Lawrence Van
Vliet, Erin; Mrs. Leonard Mahan, Mrs. Adelia Lounsberry, Montour Falls.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred A. Rosekrans and family, the Rev. and Mrs. Clyde A. Ros
||BRIDE-TO-BE ENTERTAINED AT VARIETY SHOWER Miss Joyce Ham
of Oneonta, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Ham of Pine City, was entertained
at a variety shower given by Miss Sharon Ham and Mrs. Gordon Burroughs
at the latter’s home, 558 Maple Ave., recently.
||HUDSON - WELCH
||ELSIE HUDSON WEDS MR. WELCH - Marriage of Miss Elsie Pauline
Hudson, daughter of Mrs. Jessie L. Hudson of Pine City and the late Harry
Hudson, to Chester W. Welch of New York City took place Saturday, June
20, 1942, in New York City. The bridegroom’s parents are Mr. and Mrs. Charles
A. Welch of Pine City. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Thomas were the couple’s attendants
and other Elmirans present at the service were Miss Jane Wittkas and Roy
Welch. The couple will live at 258 W. 73rd St. in New York. She is a Cortland
Normal School graduate and has been a teacher at the Pennsylvania Ave.
School. The bridegroom is a graduate of Wooster (Ohio) College and of Syracuse
University Law School.
||JESSUP-CONNELLY & BAUER - JESSUP
||DOUBLE WEDDING At 8:30 o’clock last evening, the Rev. Charles
M. Kreidler, pastor of the First Church of Christ (Disciples) officiated
at a double wedding at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Bailey, 807 Holdridge
Street. The couples married were Miss Laura Jessup and Benjamin M. Connelly,
both of this city and Miss Minnie Bauer and Francis Jessup, also of this
city. Mrs. Bailey is a sister of Mr. Connelly. Mr. Connelly wore orange
organdie with a large hat to match. She carried pink roses and sweet peas.
Mrs. Jessup was gowned in yellow organdie with a matching hat. Her bouquet
also was composed of pink roses and sweet peas. Mrs. John Walsh, pianist
and her son,Robert Walsh, violinist, played the wedding music and during
the evening played a pleasing program of music. (handwritten on article
||JUNDSON - COLGROVE
||(the first part of this article is gone) wedding in front
of the grand stand at 1:30 o’clock this afternoon. Long before the time
for the event had arrived the grand stand was packed and every available
inch of space about the spot was filled with a struggling, surging mass
of humanity, eager to see the happy couple united for life. The young people,
who joined hands and were pronounced man and wife were Miss Lena Judson,
a well known young lady residing on Dewitt street and Lee Colegrove, a
member of the firm of W. Colegrove & Co., grocers at No. 551 East Second
street. After the knot had been tied the band played the “Honeymoon March”
and Mr. and Mrs. Colegrove received the congratulations of their many friends.(handwritten
on article – Wednesday, Sept. 2, 1896)
||This marriage of Eleanor Mildred Ketchum of Elmira, R. D.
2, to Arthur C. Pratt of Wellsburg, took place last evening at 8 o’clock.
The Rev. Delos E. Abrams, pastor of the Southside Baptist church, performed
the ceremony at his home, 703 Broadway. The couple was unattended. The
groom is a farmer in Wellsburg and the bride was formerly a stenographer
at the American Sales Book Company. Their many friends are extending best
||LEPLEY - LOUGHEAD
||Lewisburg- A pretty wedding took place at the home of the
Rev. and Mrs. H. C. Loughhead, 25 S. Fourth St., Lewisburg, Sunday, Mar.5,
1944, at 1 o’clock, when their daughter, Lois Mae, was united in marriage
to Staff Sgt. William R. Boswell, son of Mrs. Maria Boswell of Jersey Shore.
The COUPLE WED AT LEWISBURG -ceremony was performed by the bride’s father,
assisted by the Rev. James B. Ostergren, using the double ring service.
Miss Fae Marie Lepley of Williamsport, a Bucknell classmate of the bridesmaid,
and Pvt. H. O. Loughhead, brother of the bride, was best man. The wedding
march was played by Miss Norma Mencer of Jersey Shore. The bride was attired
in a street length light blue crepe dress with navy blue accessories and
wore a corsage of pink roses. The bridesmaid wore a street length dark
blue crepe dress and corsage of flowers. The bride is a graduate of the
Jersey Shore High School and Bucknell University. The bridegroom is a graduate
of Jersey Shore High School and is stationed at Hensley Field, Dalla
||A very pretty wedding took place at high noon on New Year’s
Day at the home of Charles Lyon, of Coleman Avenue, when Miss Millicent
Lyon and Allen Sherman, of Pine City, were married. The Rev. F. W. Huff,
of Seneca Falls performed the ceremony. Only the immediate families were
present. They left for New York, where they are spending a week. On their
return they will be at their new home in Pine City.
||Miss Eda M. Mason and William M. Alexander both of Elmira,
were married Saturday evening by the Rev. James A. Miller at his residence,
883 Pennsylvania Avenue. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander will reside, after June
2, at the Plate homestead, Pine City. (handwritten on article 1912)
||MONKS – JASPER
||A very pretty home wedding took place Saturday morning at
10 o’clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Monks of Pine City when their
daughter Charlotte A. was married to Arthur J. Jasper of Elizabeth. The
Rev. I. Wilson Ripley officiated, using the ring service. The dining room
was prettily decorated with white carnations and similax. After the wedding
breakfast Mr. and Mrs. Jasper left on a wedding tour to New York and eastern
points. On return they will reside at Pine City.(handwritten on the article
– March 16, 1912.
||OLCOTT - BAKER
||The marriage of Hettie Olcott of 1018 Hoffman street and
J. M. Baker of Pine City took place March 30 in Pine City in the Baptist
parsonage. The Rev. Stanley performed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Baker
will reside in Pine City. (handwritten on article 1921)
||PARK - GUSTIN
||Corning, June 26 – Miss Lizzie Edith Park of Horseheads
and Merreld Tracey Gustin of Elmira were married Friday by the Rev. H.
S. Stewart,pastor of the First Baptist Church of Corning, at the parsonage,
146 East Third Street. (handwritten on article 1917)
||PELLOR - DEVINE
||Miss Beverly Jean Pellor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth
Pellor of 507 Bonaview Ave., will be the Oct 23 bride of Lawrence E. Devine
of Pine City. The ceremony will be performed at 7 in the Southside Baptist
Church. The prospective bride graduated from the Southside High School
and is employed as a nurse’s aide at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Her fiance
attended the Southside High School and is employed by the Schweizer Aircraft
||Miss Edna Henrietta Porter, formerly of Utica and Herbert
Charles Lee, Elmira, were married at the home of the Rev. C. M. Dodge,
pastor of Bethany Presbyterian Church, Utica, Jan. 17, 1930. They were
attended by the brother-in-law and sister of the bridegroom, Mr. and Mrs.
H. E. Sprague of Rochester. The bride wore a delft blue velvet gown, a
silver picture hat and carried white roses. Her bridesmaid wore a velvet
dress of harmonizing color with hat to match and carried ea (this is what
was in the article) roses. Following the ceremony a wedding luncheon was
served to the immediate families at Hotel Martin, Utica. After a trip to
Washington, Mr. and Mrs. Lee will reside at Rochester. The bride has been
a resident of Yonkers for the past four years.
||The First Church of Christ was the scene of an attractive
wedding Easter Sunday at high noon when Miss Wilma Rockwell, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Robert R. Rockwell of Franklin Street, became the bride of
Theodore Woermbke of this city, formerly of Indiana. The Rev. A. M. Laird,
pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. The bride, who was given
in marriage by her father, was gowned in white crepe over duchess lace;
her tulle veil was caught with orange blossoms. She married a shower bouquet
of roses and lilies-of-the-valley. Mrs. E. E. Rosenthal of Binghamton,
sister of the bride, as matron of honor, wore white satin with picture
hat. Her bouquet was of roses and sweet peas. Miss Julia Woermbke was bridesmaid
and wore a gown of pink.
||ROGERS - WELLS
||The following marriage license has been issued by City Clerk
Harry Moseson: George Arba Rogers, 305 College avenue, to Ruth Wells Frutchy,
220 West Second street
||(Pierson) - SICKLES
||WED IN PINE CITY Mrs. Minnie Pierson of 500 Perry street
and Fred Sickles of Pine City were married at Pine City September 19 by
D. G. Beckwith, Justice of the Peace.(handwritten on article – 1910)
||The marriage of Miss Cleo A. Sitzer daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Harvey Sitzer of Pine City and Merton r. Sheive, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Gerd Sheive of Millerton, Pa., was solemnized Saturday in the parsonage
of the Pennsylvania Avenue Methodist Church. The Rev. H. S. Bacon, pastor
of the church, performed the ceremony. (handwritten on article Jan 15,1927)
||LOIS R. SPRAGUE MARRIED TO SGT. SWANSON The Rev. C. E. Eichner
performed the single ring service, July 2, 1951, in Holy Trinity Lutheran
Church, which united in marriage Miss Lois Rae Sprague and Sgt. Allen Edgar
Swanson. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Sprague of 269 W.
Hudson St., and her husband’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wilard Swanson, live
at 2681/2 W. Hudson St. Attending the couple were Mr. and Mrs. Donald William
of Sayre. Mrs. Williams is a sister of the bride. Mrs. Swanson graduated
from the Southside High School and the St. Joseph’s Hospital School of
Nursing. She is employed on the staff of the hospital. Her husband who
attended the Southside High School, returned in June from Korea, and is
now stationed in Boston.
||Miss Bessie Sterling,daughter of Mrs. John O. Sterling of
Wells, Pa., and Vernett E. McWhorter of Webbs Mills were married Sunday
afternoon by the Rev. C. E. Ferguson at the Enworth M.E. Parsonage. After
a short trip they will reside in Webbs Mills. (handwritten on article May
||The marriage of Alice Emily Walborn and Lawrence Edward
Austin, both of Canton, Pa., took place at noon today in the manse of the
Lake Street, Presbyterian Church. Dr. R. Lew Williams performed the ceremony.
The couple was unattended. They will make their home in Canton.