The Reverend Mr. David Craft
HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIPS
Geographically, the township of Barclay is situated between the townships of Franklin on the north, Le Roy on the west, and the Schrader branch of Towanda Creek, which separates it from Overton on the south, and whatever of eastern boundary it has is Monroe.
Topographically, the township is mountainous; The Shrader branch of the Towanda creek being its only stream of water.
Geologically, it is coal bearing, being essentially and specifically a mining town.
Historically, it is a recent organization, being formed from Franklin in 1867. It's entire area is owned by the coal mining and Barclay railroad companies, and it is said that it has not within it's limits a solitary resident freeholder. It's chief interest lies in it it's coal mines and their development, which are fully described in the general history of the county.
The first settlement, or movement therefor, in the township was made in the fall of 1856 by the Towanda Coal Company. There are at the present time five settlements in the town, the most northern one called Graydon, next South Dublin, Barclay post office, still further south, Fall Creek a little way east of the post office, and a settlement at the foot of the incline of the railroad.
In 1870 the town contained a population of 2009 souls, 1104 of whom were foreign born. In 1876 there were 284 votes polled.
There are three school districts in the township, and six schools were taught in them during the year ending June 1, 1877, averaging ten months each. Three male and three female teachers were employed, the former receiving $50 and the latter $30 per month as salaries. Four hundred and forty one children attended the schools, of whom 233 were boys and 208 were girls; the average attendance for the whole period of the schools being 400. One percent of the evaluation of the property in the township was levied for school purposes, the revenue arising therefrom being $2143.05; $607.20 were received from the State; the total receipts being $4050.15. Of this amount $1828.76 were paid for teacher's wages; the total expenditures for the year being $3394.71, including $266.45 for new buildings, etc.
At Graydon there are a school house and store; at Barclay there are a post office, a Presbyterian Church, a school house, stores, the works of the Barclay railroad company. At Fall Creek there a school house and store, and in the settlement at the foot of the incline there is a school house.
The history of the children are