The Reverend Mr. David Craft
Troy Borough and Township
MAJOR EZRA LONG
The most prominent of the early settlers of' Troy township was Major Ezra Long. He came into the county in 1809, residing previous to that time in Vermont. He was born at Wilmington, Vt., Sept. 24, 1782. He married Lydia Alvord, April 3, 1805. Tile children of that marriage were: Alonzo, born at Hubberton, Vt., March 4, 1806; Philander A., born at Hubberton, Vt., Oct. 1, 1807; Volney M., born at Brandon, Vt., June 4, 1809; Horace F., born at Old Sheshequin, Bradford County, Nov. 1, 1811; Ezra, Jr., born at Troy, Bradford County, Dec. 4, 1813; Lydia M., born at Troy, Bradford County, Dee. 5, 1815; Clarissa E., born at Troy, Bradford County, Jan. 9, 1818; Martha M., born Nov. 15, 1819; Ezra O., born July 28, 1821.
Of these children but three are living,--Hon. V. M. Long, for a long time an associate judge of the county court of Bradford; Horace F. Long, at present proprietor of Long's Chalybeate Springs, and the old and well-known hamlet, "Long's Mills ;" and Martha M. Long, residing at Troy.
Major Ezra Long resided at Hubberton, Vt., owning the Hubberton mills in 1806 and 1807. Leaving there, he resided at Brandon, Rutland Co., Vt., until 1809; then leaving Vermont, he came into Old Sheshequin or present Ulster, Bradford County, occupying the famous hostelry known as the Thomas Overton stand.
In February, 1812, he came into the wilderness of Sugar Creek, settled in Troy township, and purchased the old Elisha Rich mills, since known as Long's mills. Here, at the age of thirty, he commenced improving and enlarging his estate. The old homestead was built near the mills in the year 1812, and is still standing; at the same time he established a public-house, and, as its genial landlord, won the respect and lasting remembrance of many a weary traveler. The sign that formerly stood in front of this hotel is still in existence, and hangs in the office of the Troy House. Major Long was one of the first Freemasons in northern Pennsylvania, and occupied a prominent position in the order. In politics he was a stanch Democrat up to the time of Jackson's administration, when the removal of the United States bank deposits gave, in his well-balanced opinion, ample cause for a change to the opposition.
Major Long's private character was such as to secure the admiration and respect of the entire population of Troy and surrounding townships.
The hardships and privations of the early settlers were mitigated not only by his advice, but also by his unlimited generosity. He died in 1848.
SILAS E. SHEPARD, D.D
since the chapter giving an account of the history of the "Disciples" in Bradford County was written, has departed this life, his position in that branch of the church which he represented, as well as his prominence as a citizen in the western part of the county, has entitled him to especial mention in the history of the county. He was born in Utica, N. Y., Feb. 2, 1801; received his academic training at North Norwich, N. Y. At the age of eighteen he was licensed to preach the gospel, and in 1825 came to Canton, in Bradford County. Mr. Shepard was a hard student, and made himself familiar with the original languages in which the Bible was written. In 1834 he became editor of The Primitive Christian, which he managed with much credit to himself and the denomination it represented. In 1839 he returned to Troy, and in 1850 he was called to the pastorate of the Church of the Disciples, in Seventeenth Street, New York, and filled the position for eight years. While pastor of this church he became connected with the American Bible Union, for translating the Scriptures, and in the various capacities of vice-president of the board of managers, one of the translators, secretary of the board of revision, and finally a member of the board of final revision in the society until 1858, when he was able to carry out a long-cherished plan of visiting thc east. He visited the most important cities of Europe, Egypt, and the Holy Land, returning home after all absence of fourteen months. For two years he was again connected with the Bible Union, spending his summers at Troy and his winters in New York, or lecturing on the Holy Land. On one of these lecturing tours he became connected with the Central Christian church of Cincinnati, where he remained about two years. At this time secession had culminated in rebellion, and Dr. Shepard published a pamphlet giving utterance to vigorous Union sentiments, which awoke great excitement among the members of his denomination on both sides of the river, and led to his return east. Until 1868 his time was variously employed, some of the time lecturing for soldiers' aid societies, some preaching, and also continuing his work on the Bible Union. In 1868 he was induced to become a candidate for the State senate on the People's party against George Landon, and was defeated. At the close of the great war lie went to Indianapolis, in 1865, and was for some time pastor of a church in that city, or connected with the Western University. At this time efforts were made to organize the Institute at Hiram, Ohio into a college; the organization being perfected, in 1867 lie took charge of it as the first president. The labors connected with this position were too severe for his strength, and he exchanged the presidency for the pastorate of the Disciples' church, in Hiram, then to the Christian church, in Cleveland, in 1870, and returned to Troy in 1872, where he remained until his death, in October, 1877. Even his latter days were not days of rest. His pen, as was his wont, was constantly busy, making contributions to the Christia, Standard, of Cincinnati, and the Christian Quarterly, of which he was one of the founders, and for many years one of its editors. His articles were always well written, and characterized by a clear and forcible style.
DANIEL F. POMEROY
A truthful representation of a worthy life is a legacy to humanity. As such we present an outline of the life and character of Daniel F. Pomeroy.
He was the eldest son of Col., I. N. Pomeroy, and was born Feb. 27, 1816, at Genoa, N. Y, whither his parents had migrated from Connecticut. The following year his father removed with his family to Troy, and it was here that he spent the most of his life, and became identified with its growth and prosperity, and left the impress of his character. As a boy he was remarkable for his truthfulness, integrity, and aptitude for business. At tile age of fifteen he entered the employ of H. W. Camp, of Oswego, N. Y., and began the first round of the ladder as clerk and boy of all work. He remained in the service of Mr. Camp about four years, his brother Samuel being employed in another store in the same town, and his brother Horace going to Owego about the time he returned to Troy, where he began as clerk for Gillett & Corre, with whom he remained about five years. He then formed a co-partnership with G. F. Redington, and began business for himself. Some time after S. W. Pomeroy joined the firm, and Horace was employed as clerk. Thc firm of Redington & Pomeroy did a large business until 1844, when Mr. Redington Withdrew, and Horace Pomeroy became associated with his brothers. The firm now took the name of S. W. & D. F. Pomeroy & Co., and did an extensive business in general merchandise and produce until 1860, when they sold to the firm of Gooderich, Newbury & Peck. The firm had for many years kept large deposits in New York, and had sold drafts on the New York banks. This business had increased to such an extent that in 1860 they opened a banking-house under the name of the Pomeroy Brothers. For twenty-eight years he was associated in business with his two brothers, and such was the entire harmony and confidence that existed between them that not a single stipulation or contract was ever made in relation to their individual interests. His whole life was characterized by untiring energy, strict integrity, and honorable dealing. In all business transactions he was never known to oppress a debtor. Himself just and upright, he influenced others to like action. The entire community gave him their confidence, and his assured progress was observed without envy. He labored from a love of activity, and not alone for the acquisition of wealth. He had in view no ultimate elegant leisure. With unselfish motive He devoted himself to business, and gave of well-won means to the benefit of the public and the needy.
Daniel F. Pomeroy was more than a businessman. All enterprises having for their object the advancement of the people, the borough, and the welfare of the county obtained his hearty commendation and support. He was, to an eminent degree, a public-spirited and benevolent man. In 1852, when the railroad was proposed through Troy, no one was more ardent, or with more untiring zeal went over the country to awaken co-operation for its success. During tile war he was a firm supporter of the government, and, though not in the field, many a soldier and many a widow and suffering family can testify to his timely aid. Kind and sympathetic, His heart responded to the appeals of the poor, and his efficient aid to those in sickness and distress was proverbial. An ardent friend of education, he actively co-operated in securing the present beautiful and commodious school building, and counseled for and helped forward its best interests. His habits were temperate and abstemious. Socially, he was genial and courteous, winning and retaining the regard of those with whom he came in contact. In 1841, Mr. Pomeroy was married to Miss Jane, daughter of Francis Tyler, Esq., of Athens. She died, leaving one child, Mrs. Fanny Richardson. In 1868 he was again married to Miss Brunette, daughter of the Hon. Dummer Lilley, of Sylvania. On the 8th of April 1872, he was called to a higher existence. He had suffered with an affection of the lungs for twenty years, and it is Presumable that his sudden death was occasioned by the rupture of a blood vessel. His funeral was attended by a large concourse of people who came to mourn for a friend lost, and
The subject of this sketch was born in Coventry, Tolland Co., Conn., March 28, 1791. He was a son of Ebenezer Pomeroy, who was one of the most prominent merchants and citizens in Coventry, and represented his county in the Connecticut legislature. He gave his son an excellent education, which laid the foundation of his future successful business career. He went to Genoa, Cayuga Co., N. Y., where he remained till 1818, when he came to Troy, Bradford Co., Pa., and at once became engaged in the manufacture of cloth with his brother, Ebenezer, which he followed very successfully for ten years. He then purchased a farm near Troy, upon which he lived ten years, when he bought the Eagle hotel at Troy, which was situated where the store of Pomeroy and Jewell now stands, of which he was proprietor nearly twenty years. About this time he built his residence adjoining the bank, in company with his son, Horace. He invested largely in village property, imparting, by means of his excellent business talents and liberality, a stimulus to Troy that will long be gratefully remembered. He was extensively connected for many years with staging and bridge building, being considered one of the most courteous and genial of employers. He took a very active interest in military affairs, and was appointed colonel of a militia regiment. His affability and fine military bearing made him one of the most popular officers in his regiment.
He married for his first wife Anna O. Kingsbury, who died in the month of December, 1831. The fruits of this union were seven children, viz., Sibyl K., Daniel F., Eleazer, Horace, Samuel N., Laura A., and Charlotte E., of whom the daughters and Daniel .F. are deceased. For his second wife he married Maria Ann Merrick, who died Feb. 27, 1839. For his third and last wife he married Lucinda Merrick, of Springfield. The success of his sons in business is mainly attributable to the excellent business maxims which he taught them, one of them being that unity was necessary to success, and which his sons practically carried out, Horace, Samuel, and Daniel F. doing business together twenty eight years without any stipulation in regard to their individual interests. He gave them the example of a spotless daily life, together with a practical illustration of those principles to be observed which lead to success. He was very sociable and fond of good jokes. The old settlers speak of his stories and anecdotes as being racy, and spiced with wit and humor. Few men have left the impress of their lives and characters upon the places in which they resided more indelibly then Col. Pomeroy, or have been more just in their business transactions. The people of Troy regard him as a public benefactor, and showed their appreciation of his loss by their large concourse at his funeral.
ELI B. PARSONS
was born in the town of Columbia, Bradford County, Pa., Nov. 3, 1824. His grandfather, Eli Parsons, who fought gallantly in the Revolutionary war, settled near Columbia Cross-Roads in the year 1800, and at once began to build a house and prepare the earth for cultivation. In the lapse of time Providence blessed his toil with material prosperity and surrounded him with a fine family of dutiful children, of whom James, the father of the subject of this sketch, stayed on the old homestead and married Louisa Strait, a daughter of Capt. Burton Strait, a prominent soldier of the War of 1812. Our subject's boyhood days were spent pleasantly in alternately attending school and working on his father's farm.
As he approached his majority he evinced a strong desire for learning, which could not be quenched except by drinking at the sparkling fountain of knowledge. He accordingly bent the energies of his soul towards disciplining his mind, and thus prepared himself to cope with the ablest champions of the bar in the legal arena of Bradford County. He studied law under Stephen Pierce, a celebrated lawyer, and also was graduated from the Cherry Valley law school of New York. In 1850 he passed a successful examination in the supreme court of the State of New York, and was accordingly admitted to practice in all the courts of the State. After establishing himself at Troy, Pennsylvania, he began to manifest that legal acumen which distinguishes him as a lawyer and financier. He did not, however, eon-fine himself exclusively to the practice of his profession; but, having a speculative turn of mind, he made many bold ventures, which proved surprisingly successful. In 1868 he purchased the celebrated Minnequa springs, which, by his tact, he brought to notice~ so that it has now become one of the most fashionable summer resorts in Pennsylvania. After selling this property to Peter Herdic, he bought, in 1869, the noted Watkins Glen property, then but little known; and, by his shrewdness, tact, and patience made it such a pleasant and attractive place of resort., that the property has become immensely valuable. In 1871 he leased it to the present proprietors, and in 1872 sold it to them. In 1875 he purchased the mineral spring in Cawker City, Kansas. The mineral sediment deposited from this spring (called the Wytouga or the Great Spirit spring) has formed a mound fifty feet high, about six hundred feet at the base, and wide enough at the top for two teams to drive abreast. The spring is in the centre of the mound, and has wonderful medicinal properties. In 1875 he also bought the property, near Olean, New York, called Rock City, from the fact that it so closely resembles a city in its alleys, streets, and blocks. This he intends to make an attractive place of resort.
In all his speculations he has been remarkably successful; and this has not been the result of chance, but of an almost intuitive knowledge of human nature and a rare faculty of knowing just what will "take" with the public. There are few keener businessmen, or many who have a wider range of experience with the public mind, than Mr. Parsons.
End of Chapter
|Back to Troy Township Chapter|