Messrs. E. Covell & Co., dealers in dry goods and groceries, at No. 106 Water street, are the proprietors of a business established in 1807 by Tuthill & Covell, who continued it until 1830, when Mr. T. retired from the firm and the junior member, Mr. Robert Covell, Senior, continued the business. In 1834, Mr. Robert Covell, Junior, became a partner in the house, and in 1839 Mr. Edward Covell took the interest of R. Covell, Senior, and since that time, with the exception of three years, the business has been conducted by the Messrs. E. & R. Covell. They have a store 25 by 66, at all times filled with a complete stock of goods for the accommodation of their large trade. See card, page 114.
Tuthill, Brooks & Co., dealers in dry goods, &c., at No. 132 (old No. 34) Water street. This house was established in 1831, by the senior member of the present firm, Mr. David H. Tuthill, who has ever since that time been connected with the business, except during an interval of two years. They have a store 25 by 90, four stories high, and unite with their large experience in the dry goods trade, well known ability, which with their manner of dealing, gives them a large trade. See card, page 68.
The Dry Goods House of Messrs. Rice, Durland & Pratt, at No. 122 Water street, was established in 1840, by S.S. & J. Hamlim, and in 1861 the present firm was formed, Mr. Rice, the senior member, having been connected with the house since 1846. They have a store 20 by 106, well filled with staple and fancy dry goods and carpets, and for the advantage of their large list of patrons, combine experience and ability in the conduct of their trade. See card, page 78.
William E. Hart, dealer in dry goods, groceries &c., at No. 110 Water street, commenced his business here in 1842, and has been in trade uninterruptedly since that time. He has a store 22 by 85, and always has a complete assortment of goods in his line. During his twenty years experience here, Mr. Hart has gained a large business and many friends as a reward for his attention to the wants of his patrons. See card, page 94.
A very popular dry goods house is to be found at No. 107 Water street, (6 Union Block,) and an equally popular proprietor in the person of Mr. M. Richardson, who commenced trade in Elmira in 1859. He has a store 22 by 80, the full capacity of which is taxed to accommodate his patrons, who here find everything in the line of Dry Goods, and are always pleased. See card, page 92.
William H. Haskell, at No. 7 Baldwin street, commenced the dry goods trade here in the Fall of 1862, and has already fully convinced the people of his ability to supply their wants at fair prices. At his store can be found a full assortment, and the best comment on his manner of dealing is the extent of his trade and the universal satisfaction which he gives his patrons. See card, page 126.
An immense house is that of Stuart & Ufford, merchant tailors, &c., at No. 20 and 22 Lake street. In 1854 Mr. Charles B. Stuart commenced trade here. In 1857 the firm of William Beach & Co. was formed, of which Mr. Daniel E. Ufford was a member, and in 1859 the houses of C.B. Stuart and William Beach & Co. were united, and the firm became Beach, Stuart & Co. In 1860 Mr. B. retired from the house and the proprietorship passed into the hands of Stuart & Ufford. They occupy two stores, each 20 by 100, ground floor and basement, filled with an almost endless variety of clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, furs, military goods, trunks, &c., &c., and their extensive trade demands all their facilities, requiring them to keep a large force constantly employed manufacturing all kinds of goods for the sales-room, and to the manufacturing all kinds of goods to order, they give very particular attention. See card, page 138.
Baldwin & Reynolds, merchant tailors, &c., at No. 149 Water street commenced trade here in 1858, and have, by giving their patrons the benefit of long experience and close attention to business gained a large and valuable trade. Their store is 24 by 70, well filled with clothing, furnishing goods, &c. To the merchant tailoring department of their business, is given particular attention, and in this branch they excel. See car, page 116.
The Merchant Tailoring and Clothing House of E. Lehman & Co., at No. 151 Water street was opened in the Spring of 1861, and since that time has become a popular resort for buyers who wish to get the full value of their investment. The merchant tailoring department is under the personal supervision of Mr. Lehman, the senior member of the firm, a gentleman of much skill and experience as exhibited daily in his business. Their store is 20 by 60, and is all needed for their extensive trade. See card, page 66.
John Cass, merchant tailor and clothier, on the corner of Water and Baldwin streets, has been in trade in Elmira during eh last fourteen years, and in the Fall of 1861 commenced his present business, having been in the dry goods trade previous to that time. He has a store 24 by 90, and immense trade which he enjoys fully attests his popularity as a dealer. See card, page 160.
N.W. Gardiner, dealer in Hats, Caps, Furs, &c., at No. 117 Water street, opened his trade here in 1837, in a store occupying the same lot where he now is, and has from time to time, as the increase of his business demanded, enlarged his facilities. His store is 20 by 50 and well filled with good goods and he enjoys an extensive business. See card, page 72.
In the Spring of 1865, S.G. Comstock commenced his trade in hats, caps, furs, &c., at No. 150 Water street, and now enjoys as a just result of his liberality of dealing and universal custom of pleasing his patrons, a lucrative first class trade. His store is 22 by 50, and its utmost capacity is taxed for the conducting of his business, which is continually increasing. See card, page 80.
The oldest hardware dealer in Elmira is R. Watrous at No. 112 Water Street. Mr. W. commenced trade in this village in 1838, as a member of the firm of North & Watrous, and in 1843 became the sole proprietor. Since the latter date he has had several partners, and the firm has been R. Watrous & Co., and later Watrous & Cook. In the Summer of 1862, he commenced his trade where he now is, and enjoys as a just reward for his close attention to business during twenty-four years experience here, a valuable list of friends and patrons who can always supply their wants from his store. See card, page 106.
Gridley & Davenport, dealers in hardware, &c., at No. 109 Water street, have been engaged in their trade here since 1842. They have a store 20 by 72; three stories and cellar, all occupied with their business, and as an instance of what attention to business combined with extensive ability and experience will accomplish, may be cited their lucrative trade and wide-spread popularity. See card, page 150.
Cook & Covell, successors to Watrous & Cook, dealers in hardware, &c., at Nos. 101 and 103 Water Street, corner Lake. Mr. E.H. Cook the senior member of this firm began the hardware trade in this village in 1853, as a member of the firm of R. Watrous & Co., the house having been established ten years previous to that time. In 1858, a change was made, and the firm became Watrous & Cook, and in the Summer of 1862, Mr. H.C. Covell purchased the interest of Mr. Watrous, and the present firm was formed. They occupy two stores, each 22 by 70, four stories and cellar, and the extent of their trade together with their popularity as dealers is unmistakable evidence of the fact that their patrons find their assortment complete and their prices reasonable. See card, page 60.
Few Towns in Western New York have as large a Hardware House as that of William Brown, at Nos. 14 and 16 Lake street. He commenced his present business here in 1857, as successor to H.F. Wells and by giving his undivided attention to the interests of his trade and the wants of his patrons, has gradually increased, since his beginning, until now he occupies two stores, each 22 by 100, three stories and basement, with one of the most varied stocks of goods in his line to be found in Western New York, consisting in part of hardware, stores, agricultural implements, tin, sheet iron and copper ware, nails, iron, cutlery, &c., &c., and his enterprise and go-ahead-a-tiveness, are rewarded by a well deserved popularity and a large trade. He is at all times prepared to supply Country Merchants at city prices. See card on outside, front cover.
In 1844, T.C. Cowen commenced trade in Elmira, and in 1858 established his auction and commission business at No. 12 Lake street, which he has conducted with marked ability and pecuniary success. In January of the present year he took as a partner, his son, Thaddeus A. Cowen, who has a good knowledge of the business, and the firm became T.C. Cowen & Son. They devote their entire attention to the purchase of good goods, at low prices and selling them proportionately low. Country Merchants and Peddlers can here find a varied assortment, from which to select. See card, page 168.
Among other branches of business conducted on a large scale in Elmira, is the grocery trade. The Wholesale House of J.H. Loring, & Co., at Nos. 166 and 168, Water street, has been doing a successful trade since its establishment in 1855, by J.H. Loring. In 1856 Mr. E.W. Hersey became a partner in the concern, and both these gentlemen have the advantage of large experience in their business, which their numerous patrons fully appreciate. Their stock is large and always well selected.
In 1856 Richard Morris commenced the grocery trade at No. 5 Lake street, and his energy and perseverance, united with his determination to please his patrons, have been well rewarded by a large and valuable trade. His store is 20 by 70, where may always be found every thing in the line of Groceries and Provisions. See card, page 108.
Thomas Burns has sold groceries and provisions at No. 95 Water street since the Fall of 1860, and is justly popular as a dealer. He has a store 22 by 65, at all times supplied with a complete stock of goods in his line of trade. See card, page 108.
W.J. Lormore, grocer, at No. 25 Lake street, has conducted a successful business since his beginning in 1861. He has recently found it necessary to enlarge his store, affording him more room and better facilities for the accommodation of his constantly increasing trade, so that now he has a store 22 by 90, well stocked with groceries, provision, wooden, willow and stone ware, &c. See card, page 64.
Harvey Smith, Grocer, at No. 131 Water street, opened his trade here in December 1861, and having a thorough knowledge of his business in all its branches, has gained and well sustains a large and profitable trade. His store is 22 by 65, and his stock complete and well selected. See card, page 95.
E. Williams, Grocer &c., at No. 19 Lake street, commenced his trade here in the Spring of 1862, as a member of the firm of Williams & Carpenter, and in January, 1863, became the sole proprietor of the business. He has a store 20by 60, and by his attention to the wants of his patrons, fully sustains the former reputation of this justly popular establishment. He combines experience and skill with a determination to please. See card, page 76.
William P. Yates, watchmaker and jeweler, at No. 147 Water street, commenced his trade in Elmira in 1841, and during his business experience here of more than twenty years, has gained not only a large trade by his business ability, but also, by his manner of dealing, the confidence of all his patrons. His store is 26 by 65, and his stock comprises a variety to please the most fastidious. See card, page 86.
S. Ayres, watchmaker and jeweler, and insurance agent, commenced trade here in 1844, and by managing his business with that attention to its interests, and ability, which characterize all his dealings, he has gained pecuniary success, coupled with enviable popularity as a dealer. He is the agent for Wheeler & Wilson’s celebrated sewing machines, and also represents several well-known first-class fire and life insurance companies, that need no recommendation from us. See card, page 156.
At an early day in the history of this valley, about the year 1817, when Elmira was in its infancy, Mr. Francis Collingwood commenced the business of watchmaker and jeweler here, which he conducted successfully during the following thirty years, and to the universal satisfaction of all his patrons. This fact may have much to do with the very flattering success which has attended his two sons, Robert and Francis, in their business here as watchmakers and jewelers, and civil engineers and surveyors, at No. 13 Lake street, which they began in 1859, as Collingwood Brothers, (having been engaged in the same trade during the eight years previous.) They have a store 18 by 70, and at all times keep a complete stock of goods, and their attention to business is rewarded by enviable success. They are the agents for Singer’s very popular sewing machines. See card, page 16.
The house of Hall Brothers, booksellers, etc., at No. 128 Water street, was established in 1842, by Francis Hall, and in September 1858, passed into the hands of the present firm, who fully sustain the former enviable reputation of the house. They occupy a store 18 by 90, three stories and cellar, and reap a rich reward for their attention to business, in the way of a valuable trade. See card, page 8.
Preswick & Dudley, bookseller, etc., at No. 114 Water street. This house was established in 1845, by A.Z. Sickles, and in 1847 Mr. Preswick became his partner, and the sole proprietor in 1854. In February, 1860, Mr. Dudley became a partner of Mr. P., and the present firm was formed. They have a store 22 by 90, and by keeping up with the times in their stock, and always having a full assortment, they enjoy a liberal patronage. See card, page VI.
Perby & Scott, insurance agents, at No. 103 Water street. This firm was formed in January of the present year, Mr. Perry having been a member of the firm of Lawrence & Perry, during the last two-and-a-half years, (their office having been established fifteen years,) and Mr. Scott a member of the firm of Palmer & Scott, who were the proprietors of a business established fifteen to twenty years ago. They represent fifteen first-class New York and Hartford companies, and by their prompt manner of doing business enjoy the public confidence. See card, page 154.
S.S. Hutchinson, manufacturer of, and dealer in boots and shoes, at No. 126 Water street, is the proprietor of a business established in 1839 by N.H. Robinson, which Mr. H. bought in February 1860, and has since that time, managed in a manner well worthy the reputation which he gained during his connection of a dozen years with the business previous to becoming the proprietor. See card, page 72.
O.B. Northrup, manufacturer of, and dealer in boots and shoes, at No. 152 Water street, commenced his trade in 1859, and has met with the just reward for his prudent management and devotion to the interests of his trade. His store is 22 by 55, and his stock always composed of a complete assortment of first-class goods. To the manufacturing of work to order, he devotes much attention, using the best material and employing only the best workmen. See card, page 122.
A.L. Derby, manufacturer of, and dealer in boots and shoes, at No. 154 Water street, commenced his present business in the spring of 1860. He has a store 22x55, and is always supplied with a good assortment of goods in his line of trade. He has, in buying eastern work, the advantage of a long personal acquaintance with the manufacturers in Massachusetts, which enables him to buy at the lowest margin of them, thereby saving a jobber’s profit. See card, page 88.
The business of John K. Perry, druggist, etc., at No. 118 Water street, was established in 1835 by Tracy Beadle, and passed into the hands of the present proprietor in 1850, by whom it is conducted with success, and to the satisfaction of his patrons, he having had eighteen years experience in the drug trade. He has a store 22 by 50, and warehouse 22 by 70. Mr. P. deals largely in kerosene oils and alcohol at wholesale. See card, page 160.
John D. Covell, M.D. Druggist, etc., at No. 102 Water street, commenced his trade here in the Spring of 1858, and since that time has, by uniting determination with an intimate knowledge of each department of his business, gained a good trade. He has a store 24 by 75 well arranged for the accommodation of his business. See card, page 118.
Dexter & Elmore, dealers in crockery, glass ware, kerosene goods, paints and oils, looking-glasses, gas fixtures, etc., at No. 158 Water street. This house was started about the year 1850 by J.N. Elmore, and in 1858 passed into the hands of the present proprietors, who fully sustain its former well-earned reputation. They have a store 25 by 75, where may be found an almost endless variety of everything in their line of trade, and their extensive patronage is the best recommendation of the quality and prices of their goods. See cards, page 84.
J.I. Nicks, tobacconist, at No. 1 Union Block (160 Water street,) commenced his business here in 1846, and by managing it with superior ability has increased it yearly, until now his trade extends throughout Southern New York and Northern Pennsylvania, requiring him to employ twenty-five men, with as many boys and girls, in all departments, to supply his patrons. See card, page 90.
U. Bartholomew, tobacconist, at No. 9 Baldwin street, began his trade here in the Spring of 1862, and has already gained a large list of patrons by his untiring energy and perseverance in his business, in which he is much assisted by Mr. W.W. Albro, a gentleman of extensive experience in the business. See card, page 96.
S.B. Hubbell, manufacturer of, and dealer in furniture, etc., and undertaker, at No. 174 Water street, has conducted a successful business in Elmira since 1841. He has a store 22 by 75 four stories high and manufactory in the rear 18 by 23, all conveniently arranged for his business; and in its management he combines an extensive knowledge with a disposition to give his patrons the full value of their outlay. See card, page 70.
Eliason, Greener & Co., manufacturers of pianos, and dealers in sheet music and musical merchandise generally. Warerooms at No. 147 Water street, manufactory at No. 160 Church street. This business was begun in 1854 by the present proprietors, Mr. Eliason the senior member of the firm having been in the music trade here during the four years previous. Their manufactory is complete in all its fixtures, and these gentlemen have an intimate knowledge of their business. That they make superior instruments is attested by numerous letters from eminent artists, among whom are M. Gottschalk, M. Strakosch, S.B. Mills, Edward Hoffman, Madame Anna Bishop, and many others. See card, page 86.
Elmira Mills, Samuel Hotchkin proprietor, in Water street, near College avenue, were built in 1828, 40 front by 60 feet deep. In 1860 two additions were made, one on the eastern side 60 feet front by 30 deep, and one on the western side, 20 feet front by 40 deep, making the whole building now 120 feet front and three stories high. They have four runs of stone and are capable of manufacturing 300 barrels of flour per day, of a superior quality. In May 1861, the present proprietor, Mr. Hotchkin leased these Mills, and the ability and energy which he displays in the conducting of his business has gained for him the well merited confidence of the entire community. See card, page 158.
Arnot Mills, located at the east end of Water street, C.F. West proprietor, were erected in 1836, by Stephen Tuttle, and in 1850 or thereabouts, became the property of Mrs. John Arnot. They were leased by Mr. West in the Fall of 1857. They are 40 by 60, three stories high and have four runs of stone, capable of manufacturing 120 barrels of Flour per day, besides a large quantity of Corn Meal, Feed, &c. The Manner in which Mr. West manages all his transactions, and the quality of his work has gained for him a large patronage which he well sustains. See card, page 167.
Elmira Steam Mills, W. Halliday & Co., proprietors. These mills were erected in 1850 by A.C. Ely, on the corner of Baldwin and Carroll streets, removed to their present location on Basin street in 1857, and purchased by the present proprietors in the Summer of 1861. They have four runs of stone and can manufacture fifty barrels of flour per day, besides other grains. The ready sale which the flour from these mills meets within the market is its best recommendation. See card, page 62.
S.R. Van Campen, banker and exchange broker, on the corner of Water and Baldwin streets, (Brainard Block,) commenced his business here in 1859, and by the manner in which he displays in all his dealings has gained the confidence of the entire business community. His Banking House is the depository for the United States Internal Revenue Stamps.
Rathbun’s Brainard House, C. Slater, proprietor, situated on the corner of Water and Baldwin streets. This house was erected in 1850, is 100 feet on Water and 200 feet on Baldwin, six stories high including the basement, has eighty rooms, besides commodious office, reading-room, parlors, &c., and a model dining hall, capable of seating 300 persons. The present proprietor, Mr. Slater, who has done the catering for this popular house during the last three years, leased it in May, 1862 and became "Mine Host," and with his well deserved and widely known reputation, his name gave "The Brainard" additional popularity, which is well sustained and daily increasing. See card on outside of back cover.
E.B. Smith, baker and confectioner and dealer in variety goods, at No. 1 Brainard Block, commenced his trade here in 1858, since which time he has gained a wide spread popularity. His store is 20 by 50, and he has a manufactory on Basin street 36 by 45, and the enviable reputation which he enjoys as a dealer taxes his facilities to their utmost capacity for the supplying of his trade. See card, page 118.
Levi Coke, baker and confectioner, No. 31 Lake street, commenced his business in 1858. He has a store 25 by 80 and has a very extensive experience in his business which enables him to please all his patrons. See card, page 166.
W. Merwin, manufacturer of and dealer in harness, saddles, trunks, &c., at No. 141, Water street, has been engaged in his business here during the last twenty-five years, and by employing in his manufacturing only the most competent workmen and using first class stock, he has gained a reputation which gives him a valuable list of customers. See card, page 88.
J.M. Tillman, harness maker, &c., at No. 41 Lake street, commenced his trade here in 1859. He has a store 25 by 100, and his long experience in the business gives him a large share of the public patronage. See card, page 110.
H.W. McIntire, manufacturer of Johnson’s Patent Shingle machine, at No. 12 Wisner street. This machine was first introduced to public notice in 1850, since which time over one thousand have been sold in the United States and Canadas. Mr. M. is a practical machinist and superintends the construction of each machine. See card, page 110.
The Union Coffee Mills, G.H. Post, proprietor, were established in 1859 by Fielding & Ferguson, and in January, 1862, Mr. Post became a partner of Mr. Fielding, and in January, 1863, the sole proprietor. He has two stores, each 22 by 80, three stories and cellar, except one office on the second floor, all occupied with his business. He deals extensively at wholesale and retail in coffees, teas and spices of all kinds, and the extent of his trade well attests that he fully sustains the former enviable reputation of this house. See card, page 82.
G.W. Waters, portrait and landscape painter, at No. 135 Water street, commenced his profession in Elmira in the Spring of 1861, since which time he has given much evidence of his skill as an artist. An examination of the pictures in his studio, works of his own, will convince that his taste in design, and skill in execution, cannot be surpassed in the Empire State, and the publisher with pleasure refer to his card on page 142.
A.P. Hart, photographer, at No. 22 Lake street, commenced the picture business in Elmira in 1837, conducted it successfully until 1840, when he removed from the village. In 1842 he again opened rooms here, which he operated until 1855, when he sold the, and in 1861 again established himself at his present location, where with his former reputation he at once commanded a large patronage which is well deserved. See card, outside front cover.
W.J. Moulton, photographer and stock dealer, at Nos. 116 and 118 Water street, established his present business here in 1855, and has pleased his patrons so well by his success in making good pictures, a result of the employment of an intimate knowledge of the business, united with a determination to succeed, that he now has an extensive and profitable business and a justly deserved reputation for excelling in his line. In his room he has numerous portraits of distinguished persons, from all parts of the world, and an examination of these well repays the visitor.
G.W. Scardefield & Co., gilders, and manufacturers of looking-glass and picture frames, at No. 11 Baldwin street. This concern was established about five years ago by Mr. Scardefield, and in the Fall of 1861 Mr. A.P. Roosa became connected with the business. They manufacture all kinds of looking-glass and picture frames of a superior style of workmanship, and at prices to please their patrons. See card, page 74.
T.S. Pattinson, butcher, and oyster dealer, at No. 123 Water street, has been in business in Elmira during the last twenty-five years, and now enjoys, as a result of his many years of application to business, coupled with liberality and fair dealing, a large patronage, and has the satisfaction of knowing that his is a popular dealer. See card, page 64.
A reliable painter, and one who attends to his business and pleases his patrons, is the well-known Wash. March, at Nos. 5 and 6 Union Block. Mr. Marsh commenced his business here seven years ago, and long since gained a reputation that needs no recommendation from us. His knowledge of his business is thorough and complete, in all it branches, and he adds good execution to tasty designing. See card, page 98.
Dr. T.S. UpDeGraff, oculist and aorist, at No. 151 Water street, located himself here for the practice of his profession, in the Fall of 1862, and his success, together with the constant increase of his practice, sufficiently evidences his superior skill. All person afflicted with any disease of the eye or ear, cannot do better than to call at Dr. U’s office. See card, page 102.
Arbour Hotel, saloon, restaurant, billiard-rooms, at Nos. 7, 9, and 11 Lake street, Joshua Jones, proprietor. This popular establishment was opened in 1849 by G. M. & H.B. Jones, in a wooden building occupying the site of their present location. In 1852, the building which it now occupies was erected, and a portion of it fitted up under their supervision, expressly for their trade. In 1858 the present proprietor purchased the business of the Arbour, and by his attention to his patrons, has become exceedingly popular. See card, page 74.
Own McGreevy’s livery, corner of Lake and Cross streets, has become one of the popular institutions of Elmira, since its establishment in 1849. Mr. McGreevy keeps from 20 to 30 horses, with a full assortment of carriages, and careful drivers; and the facilities of this first-class establishment are taxed to the utmost. See card, page 124.
Crans. T. Potter, livery-man, on Carroll street, between Baldwin and Lake, commenced his business in Elmira in 1858, and during his five years experience here, has gained many friends among those who are fond of driving good horses. He keeps from 12 to 15 horses, with a full complement of carriages, and all the appurtenances of a first-class establishment. See card, page 4.
The advertiser sustains cordially the Administration of President Lincoln, in all its measures for the suppression of the slaveholders’ rebellion and the preservation of the Union. It holds that armed rebellion against the Government must be put down by the strong hand of power, and that the Administration has a right to use, for this purpose, every recognized weapon of warfare; to command the zealous support of all loyal citizens and to summarily suppress all disloyal manifestations. It holds, also, that Justice is Policy, and the progress of humanity the legitimate object of philanthropic effort, and therefore claims the right to rejoice if the wicked attempt to destroy the Union in behalf of Slavery shall result in the destruction of the Barbarism itself, and the more permanent and universal guaranty of the right of all to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
The Advertiser is now in its tenth year, and has an established circulation superior to that of any other paper in Chemung County, which renders it one of the best mediums for Advertising in the "Southern Tier."