||The names of the Earlier Settlers who have held important positions
in the counties of Tioga and Chemung, may be interesting to their descendants.
It is difficult to separate the two counties and do justice to all.
The Members of Assembly from Tioga and Chemung from the organization of each, are as follows:
TIOGA COUNTY (New York)
|1837 Jacob Westlake||1838 Hiram White|
|1839 J. P. Couch||1840 Guy Hulett|
|1841 Jefferson B. Clark||1842, 1843 S. G. Hathaway, Jr.|
|1844 S. Hazen||1845 Peter McKey|
|1846 Abm. Primmer||1847 William Maxwell|
|1848 G. W. Buck||1849 Alva Nash|
|1850 Philo Jones||1851 Samuel Minier|
|1852 Jas. B. Van Etten||1853 H. W. Jackson|
|1854 John M. Randall||1855 Orrin Robinson|
|1856 J. Burr Clark||1857 Wm. T. Hastings|
|1858 John Haggerty||1859 Lucius Robinson|
|1860 Lucius Robinson||1861 Tracy Beadle|
|1862 Charles Hulett|
DISTRICT ATTORNEYS-TIOGA COUNTY
|1818 to June 1822,||John L. Tillinghast|
|1822 to 1823||William Maxwell|
|1823 to 1826||Eleazer Dana|
|1826 to 1835||A. Konkle|
|1835 to July 1836||A. K. Gregg|
FIRST JUDGES-TIOGA COUNTY
|1791 to 1798||Abraham Miller|
|1798 to 1807||John Patterson|
|1807 to 1810||John Miller|
|1810 to 1818||Emanuel Coryell|
|1818 to 1828||G. H. Barstow|
|1828 to 1833||Grant B. Baldwin|
|1833 to 1838||John R. Drake|
CHEMUNG COUNTY-FIRST JUDGES
|1836 to 1844||Jos. L. Darling|
|1844 to 1846||James Dunn|
|1846 to 1847||Jos. L. Darling|
|1847 to Nov. 1850||J. W. Wisner|
|Nov. 1850 to Jan. 1851||A. Konkle|
|1857 to ----||A. S. Thurston|
|Present Incumbent||E. P. Brooks|
DISTRICT ATTORNEYS-CHEMUNG COUNTY
|1836 to 1841||A. K. Gregg|
|1841 to 1844||D.C. Woodcock|
|1844 to 1845||W. North|
|1845 to 1847||E. P. Brooks|
|1847 to 1850||E. P. Hart|
|1850 to 1855||E. Quin|
|1855 to 1856||A. Robertson|
|1856 to 1859||S. B. Tomlinson|
|1861, April to July||H. Gray|
COUNTY CLERKS – TIOGA COUNTY
|Feb. 1791 to Jan. 13, 1792||Thos. Nicholson|
|Jan. 1792 to 27th March 1819||Matthew Carpenter|
|March 1819 to Jan. 1, 1829||Thos. Maxell|
|Jan. 1829 to Jan. 1835||Green M. Tuthill|
|Jan. 1835 to Jan. 1843||D. Wallis|
|Nov. 1843 to Jan. 1853||M. Stevens|
|Jan. 1, 1853||L. W. Kingman|
COUNTY CLERKS-CHEMUNG COUNTY
|Nov. 1837 to Nov. 1840||Isaac Baldwin|
|Nov. 1840 to Nov. 1846||S. L. Rood|
|Nov. 1846 to Nov. 1849||G. M. Tuthill|
|Nov. 1849 to Nov. 1855||A. R. Babcock|
|Nov. 1855 to Nov. 1858||Richard Baker|
|Nov. 1858 to Nov. 1861||U. S. Lowe|
|Jan. 1862||S. B. Tomlinson|
|Feb. 17, 1791 to 18th Feb. 1795 Jas. McMasters||Feb. 18 1795 to 1799 Jos. Hinchman|
|1799 to 1800 Edward Edwards||Feb. 1800 to Jan. 1804 Guy Maxwell|
|Jan. 1804 to Jan. 1805 John Cantine||Jan. 1805 to Apr. 5 1806 Wm Woodruff|
|April 1806 to Feb. 1810 Wm Jenkins||Feb. 1810 to Feb. 1811 Jon’a Platt|
|Feb. 1811 to March 1813 Miles Forman||March 1813 to April 1815 Jon’a Platt|
|April 1815 to March 1819 Miles Forman||March 1819 to July 1819 E. S. Hinman|
|July 1819 to Feb. 1821 Henry Wells||Feb. 1821 to Nov. 1822 Miles Forman|
|Nov. 1822 to Nov. 1825 Wm. Jenkins||Nov. 1825 to Nov. 1828 E. Shoemaker|
|Nov. 1828 to Nov. 1831 H. McCormick||Nov. 1831 to Nov. 1834 Lyman Covell|
|Nov. 1834 to Nov. 1837 John Jackson|
|Nov. 1837 to Nov. 1840||A. A. Beckwith|
|Nov. 1840 to Nov. 1843||Samuel Minier|
|Nov. 1843 to Nov. 1846||William R. Judson|
|Nov. 1846 to Nov. 1849||William Skellinger|
|Nov. 1849 to Nov. 1852||William T. Reeder|
|Nov. 1852 to Nov. 1855||Daniel F. Pickering|
|Nov. 1858 to Nov. 1861||William M. Gregg|
|Nov. 1861||William Halliday|
The first Senator from the Southern Tier in the Western District was
Vincent Mathews, 20th Session 1796 and 1797. 22nd
Session ’98, ’99 and 1800. 24th do. 1801 and 1802.
|1804, 5, 6, 7, and 8||Caleb Hyde|
|1811 to 1814||Henry A. Townsend|
|1815 to 1816||Farrand Stranahan|
|1819 to 1822||G. H. Barstow|
|1823||S. G. Hathaway, F. Stranahan|
|1824 to 1827||L. A. Burrows|
|1828 to 1831||G. H. Wheeler|
|1832 to 1835||J. G. McDowell|
|1836 to 1838||Eben Mack|
|1837 to 1840||D. S. Dickinson|
|1840 to 1844||A. B. Dickinson|
|1841 to 1844||Nehemiah Platt|
|1848||Wm. M. Hawley|
|1852||R. R. Cornell|
|1850||G. B. Guinnup|
|1851||W. J. Gilbert|
|1854||A. B. Dickinson|
Of the members of Congress, none appear from this section until the
11th Congress, 1809 to 1811.
|Vincent Mathews||Uri Tracy, 1812 to 1813|
|O. C. Comstock, 1813 to 1815||Daniel Avery, 1813 to 1815|
|E. T. Throop, 1815 to 1817||Daniel Avery, 1815 to 1817|
|John R. Drake, 1817 to 1819||O. C. Comstock|
|Caleb Baker, 1819 to 1821||D. Woodcock, 1821 to 1823|
|Samuel Lawrence, 1823 to 1825||Chas. Humphrey, 1825 to 1827|
|D. Woodcock, 1827 to 1829||Thomas Maxwell, 1829 to 1831|
|G. H. Barstow, 1831 to 1833||S. G. Hathaway, N. Halsey, 1832 to 1835|
|S. B. Leonard, 1835 to 1837||A. D. W. Bruyn, 1837 to 1839|
|Hiram Gray, 1837 to 1839||S. B. Leonard, 1839 to 1841|
|Samuel Partridge, 1841 to 1845||Smith M. Purdy, 1843 to 1845|
|Stephen Strong, 1845 to 1847||Wm. T. Lawrence, 1847 to 1849|
|S. S. Ellsworth, 1845 to 1847||Wm. T. Jackson, 1849 to 1851|
|H. S. Walbridge, 1851 to 1853||Andrew Oliver, 1853 to 1855|
|Andrew Oliver, 1855 to 1857|
Trinity Church, Elmira, is located on the corner of Main and Church streets. This edifice was commenced in 1855 and completed in 1858. Seats six hundred persons. A brick building; cost $20,000. The organization was in 1833. The first Rector was Rev. Thomas Clark; present Rector, Rev. Andrew Hull. Communicants, one hundred and sixty. Sunday School one hundred and thirty scholars, twelve female and five male teachers. Francis Collingwood, Superintendent.
Wardens-Harvey Luce, B. P. Beardsley
Vestry-William P. Yates, Dorns Hatch, John Arnot, Jr., E. H. Benn, V. B. Read, J. R. Lawrence, G. L. Smith, Francis Collingwood.
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church-Located on Corner of Cross and High Streets; number of members, 3,000; edifice built in 1854, 130 by 60, of brick; cost $35,000. First Pastor, Rev. Patrick Brady; present, Rev. M. Kavanaugh.
Sunday School-John Byrne, Superintendent; 10 male teachers, 20 female teachers; male scholars, 175, female scholars, 225.
First Presbyterian Church-Organized 1793; first Pastor, Rev. Daniel Thatcher; present Pastor, Rev. George C. Curtis, D. D.; members, 278; brick building now erecting, corner of Baldwin and Church streets; entire length, including Lecture Room, 132 feet; width of Church edifice, 62 feet; Lecture Room, 35 by 78 feet.
Sunday School, Superintendent, J. Redfield; 10 male, 23 female teachers; number of scholars, 60 males, 115 females.
Second Presbyterian Church –Organized 1860; location, corner of Church and Lake streets; edifice built in 1862, of brick, 70 by 90; cost $20,000; first Pastor, Rev. David Murdoch; members, 148.
Sunday School, Superintendent, D. Thompson Dunn; 8 male, 20 female teachers; scholars, 85 male, 118 females.
First Methodist Episcopal Church-Location on Baldwin street, between Second and Church; Pastor, James E. Latimer; organized, -------; present edifice was built in 1851, of brick, 54 by 76; cost $10,000.
Sunday School, Superintendent, Elias S. Huntley; teachers, 10 male, 13 females; scholars, 60 male, 100 females.
Second Methodist-Hedding Church-Church street, between College Avenue and Columbia; members present, 200; built in 1852, brick; cost $20,000; first Pastor, Wm. H. Goodwin, D.D.; present Pastor, Rev. Edwin J. Hermans.
Sunday School, Superintendent, David Decker; teachers, 8 males, 8 females; scholars, 40 male, 60 females.
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church-Built in 1852, 30 by 40, wood; cost $1,000; first Pastor, John Tappen; present, James H. Smith.
Independent Congregational Church-Organized in 1845; first Pastor, F. W. Graves; present, T. K. Beecher, D.D.; edifice built in 1858, 90 by 65; cost $9,000; members, 240.
Sunday School, Superintendent, Charles T. Farrar; teachers, 8 males 21 females; scholars, 70 males, 90 female.
First Baptist Church-Location, Church street, between Wisner and Main; organized in May, 1829; first Pastor, Philander D. Gillett; numbers of members, 221; edifice built in 1848; wood, stuccoed; cost $8,000; present Pastor, Rev. T. O. Lincoln, D.D.
Sunday School, Superintendent, N.P. Fassett; teachers, 8 males, 21 females; scholars, 82 male, 127 female.
Central Baptist Church-Church street, corner of Church and Conongue; organized in 1859; edifice built in 1860, of brick 54 by 80; cost $10,000; first Pastor, Rev. J.R. Wilson; present, (supply) S.M. Broakman.
Sunday School, Superintendent, B.P. Fenner; teachers, 5 male, 17 females; scholars, 45 male, 75 females.
Young Men’s Christian Association-Organized in 1858; number of members
at organization, 45; present number, 202; Reading Room in Ely’s Hall; 30
newspapers, 12 magazines.
|Vice President||W.J. Moulton|
|Recording Secretary||T.W. Elmore|
|Corresponding Secretary||C.C. Hall|
|Treasurer||S.R. Van Campen|
|M. S. Converse||W. J. Moulton|
|T. W. Elmore||C. C. Hall|
|S. R. Van Campen||S. Rose, Jr.|
|I. F. Hart||William Dundas|
|E. N. Frisbie||A. S. Clarke|
Reading Room open daily, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Free to all. Strangers especially invited to avail themselves of the privileges of the reading room.
The Fire Department of Elmira is well and efficiently organized, and
reflects much credit on the enterprise and public spirit of the citizens.
|Treasurer||W. P. Yates|
|No. 1 Hook & Ladder||Washington Marsh and B. F. Hancock|
|No. 1 Engine||F. Collingwood and G. A. Gerow|
|No. 2 Engine||J. T. Dudley and Burr L. Hendrick|
|No. 3 Engine||Ambrose Wise and B. Coleman|
|No. 5 Engine||F. C. Stele and O. A. Drury|
|Chief Engineer||Washington Marsh|
|1st Assistant||Burr L. Hendrick|
|2d. Assistant||O. A. Drury|
|Protection Hook & Ladder Company No. 1, is located on Cross street; has 72 members|
|1st Assistant||Edward Bartholomew|
|2d Assistant||Theodore A. Allen|
|Secretary||E. B. Pickering|
|Treasurer||F. A. Stowell|
|Torrent Engine Company No. 1, is located on Water street; has 70 members|
|Foreman||G. A. Gerow|
|1st Assistant||B. Gibbs|
|2d Assistant||J. Hall|
|Treasurer||W. P. Yates|
|Neptune Engine Company No. 2, is located on Water street; has 58 members|
|1st Assistant||Daniel White|
|2d Assistant||C. B. Stuart|
|Treasurer||Burr L. Hendrick|
|Red Rover Engine Company No. 3, is located on Water street; has 80 members|
|1st Assistant||W. C. Russell|
|2d Assistant||P. Clancy|
|Citizen’s Engine Company No. 5, is located on South Lake street; has 65 members|
|1st Assistant||F. C. Steele|
|2d Assistant||Philip Farley|
|Secretary||S. G. Stryker|
|Treasurer||Wm. R. Loomis|
SKETCH OF THE PRESS
A very important auxiliary in promoting the substantial growth and permanence of our industrial, scientific, moral and religious institutions, is the Country Press; without the assistance of which no enterprise can succeed. Although that Press has done and is doing a great work for society in a sphere where no metropolitan journals can compete with it, it is too often left to languish unsupported, owing to the fact that men do not appreciate its great importance until the very moment when they have "an axe to grind: on the editorial grindstone. It is the local journal that gives character and importance to the town or district wherein it is published. We claim for it in this respect, a precedence over all other influences. Its usefulness might be vastly increased, and the interests of community correspondingly promoted, if its efforts to subserve the common welfare were responded to by a generous confidence and patronage, instead of a distrust, at present much too common, of its faithfulness and reliability, indicated by a parsimonious support, grudgingly bestowed.
For many of the facts in this sketch of Elmira Newspapers we are indebted to the Gazeteer of the State of New York, published by R. Pearsall Smith in 1860.
The first paper published in Chemung County, (then Tioga) was called The Telegraph, published by Brindle & Murphy, at an early day. (We have not the date of its first issue at hand.) In 1816 its name was changed to The Vidette, Brindle & Murphy publishers, subsequently published by William Murphy.
The Investigator was commenced at Elmira in 1820, by Job Smith. In 1822 its name was changed to the The Tioga Register, and in 1828 to The Elmira Gazette, and its publication continued by Mr. Smith until 1831. It was successively issued by Brinton Paine, Cyrus Pratt, Pratt & Beardsley, Mason & Rhodes, George W. Mason, William C. Rhodes, until 1857, when it passed into the hands of S. C. Taber, by whom it was published until September 1858, when F. A. DeVoe purchased the office, and has published the paper uninterruptedly since that time.
In August 1856, The Daily Gazette was started and continued until June 1857, when it was suspended, and again started in April 1860 by its present proprietor, with Horton Tidd as Editor, who still continues to occupy that position, he having been the Editor of the Weekly Gazette since its purchase by Mr. DeVoe.
The Elmira Republican was commenced in 1820 and in 1828 it was changed to The Elmira Whig, and published by James Durham. In 1829 it was again changed to The Elmira Republican and Canal Advertiser. In 1831 it passed into the hands of John Duffy and its name was changed back to The Elmira Republican. It was afterwards issued by Birdsall & Huntley, Ransom & Birdsall, Polleys & Carter, Polleys & Cook, Polleys & Huntley, S. B. & C. G. Fairman, C. G. Fairman, Fairman & Baldwin, Baldwin & Dumars, and Mr. Calhoun, until 1857, when it was discontinued. The Elmira Daily Republican was issued a short time in 1846. The Daily Republican was issued from the Republican office from the fall of 1851 to 1855.
The Elmira Advertiser, Daily and Weekly, was commenced in 1853 by Fairman Brothers. In 1856 F. A. DeVoe became pecuniarily interested in it and Fairman & DeVoe continued its publication until January 1st, 1863, when Mr. DeVoe sold his interest, and S. B. Fairman became the sole proprietor. He continues the publication of the Daily and Weekly with S. B. & C. G. Fairman as Editors.
The Elmira Daily Democrat was issued a short time in 1851 by J. Taylor and S. C. Taber.
The Young American-a journal designed more especially for young people-was published in 1855, by James H. Paine. And was continued nearly a year.
The Daily Press was established in May, 1859, by Messrs. Dumars, Van Gelder and Paine; subsequently published by Dumars & Van Gelder, R. R. R. Dumars, Dumars, & Paine, and was purchased by its present proprietors-Messrs. Thayer & Whitley-in October, 1862.
The Temperance Gem, a monthly publication was issued in Elmira in 1856.