The following is a highly speculative genealogy of the Burleys of the Mansfield-Charleston area based on readings of Wills, the Death Index, Munsell's 1883 History of Tioga County and other sources. It's purpose is to provide a starting point for further research on the Burley family. I would be greatly interested in ANY information anyone might have for Burleys (not Burleighs) in this geographical area. Thanks in advance...Thomas P. Dewey firstname.lastname@example.org
Descendants of Ebenezer Burley, Sr.
Generation No. 1
1. EBENEZER1 BURLEY, SR. was born September 14, 1762 in Dover, Dutchess Co., NY1, and died March 12, 1835 in Mansfield, Richmond Twp.1. He married EUNICE.
Notes for EBENEZER BURLEY, SR.: "Ebenezer Burely Sr., born September 14, 1762 at Dover, Dutches Co., New York. He is buried in Prospect Cemetery, Mansfield. He died March 12, 1835, aged 74 years, 3 mo. and 28 da. He enlised at Dover, N. Y., and joined the Brigade commanded by General Scott; Colonel Graham in Company commanded, U. M. Pissca Capt. He joined the army served as a Private and marched through Bedford down to White Plains. He served through the Valley Forge Campaign in the Revolution and was wounded. He was discharged by Colonel Morehouse September 1, 1780; again drafted into the Conn. State Troops in New Fairfield, Fairfield Co. Discharged at Stratford, Conn. by Capt. Bradley Tulys. He settled in Richmond Township in 1808." [Ebenezer Burley Obituary].
Notes for EUNICE: Buried in Prospect Cemetery, Mansfield, PA.
More About EUNICE: Buried in: Prospect Cemetery, Mansfield, PA
Child of EBENEZER BURLEY and EUNICE is: 2. i. Ebenezer2 Burley, b. Abt. 1801; d. July 22, 1862, Philadelphia, PA.
Generation No. 2
2. EBENEZER2 BURLEY (EBENEZER1)2 was born Abt. 1801, and died July 22, 1862 in Philadelphia, PA.
Notes for EBENEZER BURLEY: "Ebenezer Burley came about the year 1808, and brought his father with him. His sons were David, Robert and Ebenezer, Jr - the last the father of Wells Burley, who yet lives in this vicinity...David Burley, who married Rhoda Shaw, first lived on the place now owned by Thomas Jerald, up Corey Creek, and made the first clearing there." ["History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania," W. W. Munsell & Co., New York (1883), page 290] "BURLEY, Ebenezer - Private, Co. B Enlisted at age 60, a Farmer from Richmond, PA. Mustered in 12 Nov '61. Died 22 July '62 at Philadelphia, PA.[Roster of the 101st PA Volunteers by Edward Boots]
Children of EBENEZER BURLEY are: i. David3 Burley3, m. Rhoda Shaw4.
Notes for David Burley: David Burley taxed as a "freeman" (unmarried) in 1812. [History of Tioga County, R. C. Brown & Co., page 68].
3. ii. Robert Burley, d. September 19, 1854, Charleston, Tioga Co., PA. 4. iii. Ebenezer Burley, Jr. Generation No. 3
3. ROBERT3 BURLEY (EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1) died September 19, 1854 in Charleston, Tioga Co., PA5. He married MARY6.
Notes for ROBERT BURLEY: "I, Robert Burley of Charleston, being of sound mind..." Witnesses were Henry Bailey and Betsey Bailey (listed on the 1850 Charleston Census). [Wills Administration, Tioga County, PA: estate of Robert Burley; executor, James Kelly, will, no. 310; date, 1854; book B; page 125]. The Charleston Baptist Church was "formally organized April 30, 1844 with the following named members...and Robert Burley" ["History of Tioga County, R. C. Brown & Co. (1897), page 364].
Children of ROBERT BURLEY and MARY are: 5. i. Jane4 Burley, b. Abt. 1821. 6. ii. Henry Burley, b. Abt. 1822; d. February 19, 1873, Richmond Twp.. iii. Phebe Burley7, b. May 19, 1823; d. June 20, 1887; m. William Dewey, October 6, 1844. 7. iv. Ebenezer R. Burley, b. Abt. 1832, Livingston Co., NY; d. April 28, 1903, Chatham Twp..
4. EBENEZER3 BURLEY, JR (EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1).
Child of EBENEZER BURLEY, JR is: 8. i. Wells R.4 Burley, d. 1908. Generation No. 4
5. JANE4 BURLEY (ROBERT3, EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1) was born Abt. 18218. She married ANDREW WETMORE July 03, 1842 in Charleston, Tioga Co., PA by A. E. Niles, Esq.9.
Notes for JANE BURLEY: The 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp. lists the following children for Jane and Andrew: Mary J., age 7, f, PA; Emily, age 5, f, PA; Warren, age 3, m, PA.
Children of JANE BURLEY and ANDREW WETMORE are: i. Mary J.5 Wetmore, b. 1843. ii. Emily Wetmore, b. 1845. iii. Warren Wetmore, b. 1847.
6. HENRY4 BURLEY (ROBERT3, EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1) was born Abt. 182210, and died February 19, 1873 in Richmond Twp.11. He married FEBEE SWEET February 23, 1842 in Richmond Twp., by Rev. N. H. Ripley12.
Notes for HENRY BURLEY: "Henry Burley, late of Richmond Township..." Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp. Tombstone includes a "GAR" marker. Henry's will makes Asa A. Bullock the Executor of his estate.
More About HENRY BURLEY: Buried in: Bullock Cemetery
Notes for FEBEE SWEET: Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp as Phebe from NY. the Bullock Cemetery also includes tombstones for V. H. Sweet (died July 21, 1868, aged 62yr, 8da) and Silviad Sweet (died June 18, 1867, aged 54 yr 10mo, 7da).
Children of HENRY BURLEY and FEBEE SWEET are: i. Homer H.5 Burley, b. 1843; d. June 06, 1864.
Notes for Homer H. Burley: Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp. Tombstone: aged 21 yr, 3 mo.
More About Homer H. Burley: Buried in: Bullock Cemetery
ii. William Burley, b. 1844.
Notes for William Burley: Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp.
iii. Morgan Burley, b. 1846.
Notes for Morgan Burley: Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp.
iv. Huldah Burley, b. 1848; d. September 01, 1854.
Notes for Huldah Burley: Listed on the 1850 Federal Census for Charleston Twp. Tombstone: Age 6 yr.
More About Huldah Burley: Buried in: Bullock Cemetery
v. Ellen M. Burley, b. 1857. vi. Edgar A. Burley, b. 1858. vii. Mary J. Burley, b. 1860. viii. Francis E. Burley, b. 1878.
7. EBENEZER R.4 BURLEY (ROBERT3, EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1) was born Abt. 1832 in Livingston Co., NY13, and died April 28, 1903 in Chatham Twp.14. He married MARTHA15.
Notes for EBENEZER R. BURLEY: "son of Robert and Mary" [Deaths Index, Tioga County Courthouse, Wellsboro, PA: Ebenezer R. Burley/1/106/5/Apr 19, 1903/aged 71/s/o Robert & Mary]. Member of Keeneyville Lodge No. 2160, Knights of Honor, org. 1880. Was Chaplain in 1883. [["History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania," W. W. Munsell & Co., New York, 1883]
More About EBENEZER R. BURLEY: Buried in: Keeneyville
Children of EBENEZER BURLEY and MARTHA are: i. Ida B.5 Burley16, m. Tremain. ii. Helen A. Burley17, m. Nathan T. French. iii. Lora Carl Mary Burley18, m. Erway. iv. E. R. Burley, Jr19, b. 1875; d. October 08, 1921, Chatham Twp.; m. (1) May E.; m. (2) Hattie.
Notes for E. R. Burley, Jr: Next of Kin - Lena Bartle, aged 27, residing at Pine City, NY.
More About E. R. Burley, Jr: Buried in: Riverside Cemetery, Deerfield Twp
Notes for May E.: Wife of E. R. Burleigh jr.
More About May E.: Buried in: Riverside Cemetery, Deerfield Twp
More About Hattie: Buried in: Riverside Cemetery, Deerfield Twp
8. WELLS R.4 BURLEY (EBENEZER3, EBENEZER2, EBENEZER1) died 1908.
Children of WELLS R. BURLEY are: i. Ida May5 Burley, m. Soper. Notes for Ida May Burley: Ida May Soper (daughter and Executor) inherited the farm. ii. George W. Burley, b. Abt. 1868; d. December 26, 1893. Notes for George W. Burley: Teacher
1. unidentified newspaper (probably Mansfield), "Ebenezer Burley Obituary," Sullivan-Rutland Genealogical Project, by Joyce Tice. 2. Edward Boots, 101st Pa Historian for the Civil War Plymouth Pilgrims Descendants Soc., "Roster of the 101st PA Vol. Infantry." 3. ["History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania," W. W. Munsell & Co., New York (1883), 290, "...his sons were...David..." 4. ["History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania," W. W. Munsell & Co., New York (1883), 290, "....David Burley, who married Rhoda Shaw,..." 5. Robert Burley, Last Will and Testament of Robert Burley, (Wills Admin., Tioga Co. Wellsboro, PA), 125, "I, Robert Burley of Charleston..." 6. Tioga County Death Index, Book 1, page 106, No. 5. 7. Thomas P. Dewey, The Descendants of William Dewey. 8. Author's Estimate of Age. 9. Tioga Eagle Newspaper Abstracts (1842 - 1844), page 2, "m on the 3rd inst in Charleston, Tioga Co., PA by A. E. Niles, Esq. Mr. Andrew Wetmore to Miss Jane Burley, all of Charleston." 10. Author's Estimate of Age. 11. Henry Burley, Last Will and Testament of Henry Burley, (Wills Admin., Tioga County, Wellsboro, PA: 1060/1873/B/228), 228, "Henry Burley, late of Richmond..." 12. Tioga Eagle Newspaper Abstracts (1842 - 1844), 2, "m in Richmond on the 23rd ult., by the Rev. N. H. Ripley, Mr. Henry Burley to Miss Febee Seet, both of Richm,ond." 13. Tioga County Death Index, Book 1, page 106, No. 5, "born in Livingston Co., N. Y." 14. Ebenezer R. Burley, Last Will and Testament of Ebenezer R. Burley, (Wills Admin., Tioga County, Wellsboro, PA:4200/1903/I/452), "Ebenezer R. Burley, late of Chatham township..." 15. Ebenezer R. Burley, Last Will and Testament of Ebenezer R. Burley, (Wills Admin., Tioga County, Wellsboro, PA:4200/1903/I/452), "wife Martha Burley & son in law Nathan T. French, executors." 16. Ebenezer R. Burley, Last Will and Testament of Ebenezer R. Burley, (Wills Admin., Tioga County, Wellsboro, PA:4200/1903/I/452), "to my children...Ida B. Tremain, Helen A. French, Lora Carl Mary Erway, Ebenezer Burley, Jr."
-- Tom Dewey 814-274-1159
I have identified some more information relating to the Burley's in Tioga County to be added to the site to expand on the original info from Thomas Dewey. (his email and phone number are out of date).
Children of Eunice and Ebenezer Burley Jr
i. Robert Burley. Robert was born on Jul 26, 1796 in NY. He died on Sep 11, 1854 in PA.
ii. Ebenezer Burley Jr. Ebenezer was born about 1801. He died on Jul 22, 1862 in Philadelphia, PA.
iii. David Burley. David was born between 1784 and 1790. He died about 1832.
iv. Abigail Burley. Abigail was born about 1783. She died after 1843.
v. Sally Burley. Sally was born after 1784. She died before 1843.
vi. Henry Burley. He died before 1843.
vii. Diadama Burley. She died before 1843.
Sources include Eunice Burley pension filing "Revolutionary War
Pension and Bounty - Land Warrant application", Microfilm -
Ancestry.com, (Ebenezer Burley pension file)
Children of Mary Butler and Robert Burley
i. Ebenezer R Burley. m Martha J Churchill, Ebenezer R was born on Sep 2, 1832 in Livingston County, NY. He died on Apr 28, 1903 in Chatham Township, Tioga Co, Pa.
ii. Dexter Paul Burley. m Charlotte Odessa Bailey, Dexter Paul was born on Sep 10, 1827 in NY. He died on Jan 25, 1889.
iii. Isabella Jane Burley. m Calvin B Kelly, Isabella Jane was born in 1837. She died in 1904.
iv. Henry L Burley. m Phoebe Sweet, Henry L was born about 1817 in PA. He died on Feb 19, 1873 in Richmond Twsp, Tioga Co, Pa.
v. Robert Hollister Burley. m Ellen Strange, Robert Hollister was born on Feb 16, 1840 in PA. He died on Dec 17, 1915.
vi. Jane Mary Burley. m Andrew Wetmore, Jane Mary was born on Feb 17, 1821 in NY. She died on May 16, 1898.
vii. Pheobe H Burley. m William Dewey, Pheobe H was born on Mar 19, 1823. She died on Jun 20, 1887.
viii. Matilda Burley. m William Morse, Matilda was born on Nov 19, 1824 in PA. She died on Jun 1, 1898 in Westfield, Tioga Co, PA.
Information based on Tom Dewey information, US Federal Census,
Civil war pension files, and newspaper clippings.
The 1840 US Federal Census, there are 2 unaccounted for girls and one male (Henry was too old to be in the 1840 count and the
1850 Henry in the house I think is a grandson). The 1840 census reported 4 males: 1<5, 2 5-9, 1 10-14 and 6 females: 1<5, 1 5-9,
1 10-14 and 3 15-19 .
I have additional information on Robert & Mary's family, especially Matilda who is my ggg-grandmother.
geofuz at hal dash pc dot org