My name is Jerry Scott and I am a member of "The Society of The Descendants of Henry Wolcott [and Elizabeth Saunders]." I have done a lot of surfing looking for information on some of my relatives that lived in Big Flats, Otselic NY etc.
I have attached (I hope) a file that I made up - it is sort of a skeleton ancestral file, with just the basic information included in it. I have gotten a lot of information from the Society as well as Rootsweb, Family Search etc., on the internet. There just doesn't seem to be enough information that I can find on some individuals.
I was wondering if you can help me out in some of the areas that I need help - or at least direct me to some helpful sites on the internet, such as census, birth, death or marriage records. Histories of some of the towns would also be helpful - I know that a lot of the boundries, State, County and maybe even City have changed and I can't seem to figure out where these people really lived.
Below are some of the questions I have:
From George Wolcott Sr. b.1618 to Josiah Jr. b. 1772 - are all shown to have lived in Weathersfield CT.
Josiah Jr. was raised by his father's cousin George Wolcott, in Newington, NY (CT?) - however Josiah Jr., and Ichabod's family are shown on the Otselic NY. census in 1850.
When and why did they go to Otselic?
Who was Ichabod's mother?
Who did Josiah Jr. marry?
Who were Ichabod's brothers and sisters?
Where was Ichabod born?
Where were Ichabod and Fanny married?
Did they live in Otselic all of the time?
What happened to Nelson's brothers and sisters?
Any more information that you may be able to furnish on "our" Nelson b. 1832, Ichabod b. 1797, Josiah Jr. b. 1771/2, Josiah Sr. b. 1746 or Joshua b. 1708 would certainly be appreciated.
Of course if I can't get the other file attached, this isn't going to mean much to you - If I can't, I'll have to mail it to you, if that's OK.
Thank You so much for any help you can give me.
Jerry Dean Scott
3725 S.W. Marshall Pl.
Pendleton, Oregon 97801
Elizabeth SAUNDERS and Henry WOLCOTT OF WINDSOR, CONNECTICUT
The first Wolcott family in the American colonies was that of Henry Wolcott of Tolland, Somerset, and his wife, Elizabeth Saunders, who emigrated to America in 1630. Henry was the son of John Wolcott, Jr. of Tolland, Somerset, son of JohnWolcott of Tolland, son of Thomas Wolcott <somerset.html> who was living atTolland in 1525.
Henry, b. 1578 Tolland, Somerset, d. 1655 Windsor CT. Henry, his wife, and three of their sons sailed from Plymouth on the Mary and John . They arrived in Dorchester MA 31 May 1630. Their two daughters and youngest son arrived a few years later. Henry settled at Windsor CT in 1636. He was a member of the CT House of Delegates in 1637 and years following, and was a member of the House of Magistrates from 1643 until his death. Henry and his wife, Elizabeth Saunders Wolcott, both died in 1665, and are buried in the churchyard oftheFirstCongregational Church at Windsor CT.
George Wolcott of Windsor CT, 1618-1662, 3rd son of Henry Wolcott <henrysr.html>, of Windsor CT.
(2) George, b.c. 1618, d. 1662, freeman of Wethersfield CT and Constable there 1657; m. Elizabeth Treat. Rev. Fred W. Chapman known as "the Wethersfield Genealogist" began a genealogy of the Wolcott family which was left in unpublished manuscript form at the time of his death. Its location is unknown
(3) George Wolcott, b. 1652/3 Weathersfield CT, d. 1726 Weathersfield CT. He inherited his father’s homestead at Weathersfield, was a farmer, owned land at Hebron CT, his estate valued at about 840L; m. Elizebeth Curtis, 1691 at Weathersfield CT.
(4) Joshua Wolcott, b. 1708 Weathersfield CT, d. 1753, Weathersfield CT; m. Esther Belding 1728.
(5) Josiah Wolcott Sr. b. 1746, Weathersfield CT, d. 1793 in NY. He was a justice of the peace at Big Flats NY; m. Prudence Warner 1772, Weathersfield CT; Josiah also had an illegitimate son, Josiah Jr., by Jerusha Hurlbut, that same year 1772 (although some records indicate that he was born in 1771.)
(6) Josiah Wolcott Jr., b 1771/2 Weathersfield CT. Josiah was raised by his father’s cousin George Wolcott, at Newington, NY (CT.?) There is a Josiah Wolcott listed in the 1850 census for Otselic NY.,It shows:
1. Josiah Wolcott 79 farmer b. NY, Patty 49 b. NY. (daughter?)
(7) Ichabod Wolcott, b. 1797, d. 1848 – m. Fanny Chase 1818. Not much information to be found on Ichabod – but my grandmother Leona Mae Penninger always referred to her G. Grandfather as Ichabod Wolcott. There is an entry about his family in the 1850 census for Otselic NY. He was dead in 1850, but family was still there – headed by eldest son William. It shows:
2. Nelson Wolcott 42 farmer b. NY -------------------(Uncle to our Nelson)
3. William Wolcott 33 farmer b. NY, Fanny 51, (Ichabod’s wife), Charles 27 farmer, Lorinda 30, Nelson 18, (Our Nelson b. 1832) George 16, Horatio 22.
(8) Nelson Wolcott b. 1832, d. 1904 m. Emily Marie Allen 1860 – also m. Amelia Ludolph Schlemer 1880. (Well documented family history from here on)
(9) Martha Blanche Wolcott Schlemer, b. 1868, d. 1935 – m. George Washington Schlemer abt. 1888.
(10) Leona mae Schlemer Penninger, b. 1890, d. 1978 – m. Irvin Le Roy Penninger 1909.
(11) Bernice Ilene Penninger Scott (Saling), b. 1911, d. 1973 – m. Charles Francis Scott 1929 – Also m. Elvin C. Saling 1962.
(12) Jerry Dean Scott b. 1935 d. m. Norma Jane Doud 1961.
(13) Christopher Charles Scott Sr. b. 1962, d. m. Kerri Colleen Pace 1980 – also m. Sylviana Marie Grigsby 1990
(14) Rachel Lyn Scott Perry, b. 1981, d. m. Patrick Neal Perry 1998.
(15) Kiara Lyn Perry, b. 2000, d. m.