Among the symbols of this marker are the three chain links possibly associating
it with the I.O.O.F. where the three links stand for Friendship, Love,
Truth. Other symbols here are a Crown, a Rose, a Cross, a Shepherd's Crook,
and a Sword.
The Following is from a site guest.
Subj: Mystery Marker July 4,2000
Date: 07/04/2000 1:34:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time
My husband is a long time Odd Fellow ... , the three links obviously
show a connection to that organization. I.O.O.F has three Orders
of which "Encampment" has a tent as part of the symbolism. The highest
Order in Odd Fellowship is referred to as "Canton" and he feels this
person was a member of that Order. The shepherd's crook and sword
being among their symbolism.
Subj: Re: Previous mystery plaque.
Date: 07/05/2000 8:28:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: email@example.com (John)
E-mailed the I.O.O.F. concerning that mystery plaque.
Below is their answer. No more mystery. This is fun!
Yes, The LAPM stands for Ladies Auxiliary Patriarch
Militant. The Crown, sword, crook and 3 links are also our symbols. The
Patriarch Militant is a men branch of Odd Fellows, and the Ladies Auxiliary
of course is a womens group. We have 6 branches of Odd Fellows.
1) Odd Fellows (with 4 degrees)
2) Rebekahs, women's part equivalent to Odd Fellows
3) Encampment (3 more degrees, need to be an Odd Fellow to join)
4) Ladies Encampment Auxiliary (Women's part of the Encampment)
5) Patriarch Militant (Military branch of Odd Fellows, for men only,
need to be an Encampment Member)
6) Ladies Auxiliary Patriarch Militant ( Women's part of PM)