The first white man (1615) to visit what is now Bradford county was Stephen Brule`, a Frenchman, who was an explorer and interpreter for Samuel Champlain. Champlain had secured the friendship of the Hurons who occupied the territory adjoining lakes Huron and Erie. The Carantouannais were the allies of the Hurons. The country of this people was the upper waters of the Susquehanna. Their principal town, Carantouan, was located at what is known as Spanish Hill, just above the present village of Sayre. It was palisaded and contained 800 warriors. In 1615 Brule` was sent with twelve Hurons to arrange with the Carantouannais for a force of 500 warriors to co-operate with Champlain and the Hurons in an attack upon the Onondaga stronghold. They reached Carantouan the latter part of September, where they were "welcomed with great joy, being entertained by banquets and dances for some days." After the expedition Brule` returned to Carantouan and explored the surrounding country. The next year (1616) he went down the Susquehanna to the sea, being the first white man ever to perform this journey, and is believed, was the first white man to set foot upon the soil of Pennsylvania. Brule`’s life for twenty-four years among the Indians was full of thrilling interest. Finally, he was treacherously murdered by the Hurons who feasted upon his remains.
1723--Emigration--From the time of Brule`, so far as we have any record, it was more than a hundred years before the next white man passed down the Susquehanna Valley. The sufferings of the German Palatinates having been related to Governor Keith, his interest and sympathy were at once aroused. He offered them a home in Pennsylvania where their titles could be clear and their land free from Indian claims. Accordingly in the spring of 1723, thirty-three families prepared to make the trip from the Schoharie Valley. With their meager household goods packed on horses and on their own backs, over mountains, valleys and through forests, they reached the headwaters of the Susquehanna. Here they constructed rafts upon which they placed their women and children and under the most thrilling and adventurous experiences, floated down the river about 200 miles to the mouth of Swarta Creek below Harrisburg. Here they met the men who drove the cattle and horses along the river bank, then proceeded to the Tulpehocken Valley in Berks county, where they formed a settlement. During the six years following a large number of other Palatinates from Schoharie came down the Susquehanna and joined their friends at Tulpehocken. While these people did not locate in Bradford county, the route opened by them brought into the county its first settlers.
1737--Mission Among Indians--Governor Gooch of Virginia desired the province of Pennsylvania to mediate between the Six Nations and Southern Indians. Conrad Weiser was selected to perform this mission. He started on his journey with a German companion, Stoffel Stump, and an Indian guide, reaching the county by the way of the Loyalsock. Crossing the divide they came down Sugar Creek, arriving at the Indian village in North Towanda, March 29, 1737. Here and at Tioga Point they found the Indians on the verge of starvation. Their own provisions were exhausted, but a small supply was secured and they proceeded on their mission. The journey was one of severest hardships through a dense wilderness of 500 miles. It should be stated, however, that this was not Weiser’s first visit among the Indians in this section, as he himself says, "I was here twelve years before" (1725).
1743--Visit By Men of Science--In July, 1743, Conrad Weiser was sent again to Onondaga with a message from the Governor of Virginia to arrange a place of meeting with the Six Nations to form a treaty in regard to disputed lands. He was accompanied on this expedition by John Bartram, a celebrated English traveler and botanist, Lewis Evans, geographer for the proprietaries of Pennsylvania, and Indian guides. The trip was made on horseback from Philadelphia. The party entered the county by the Lycoming route, encountering many difficulties in their passage through the wilderness. A stop was made at the Indian village at Tioga Point. Here, as at other points, observations and examinations were made by Bartram and Evans, who were the first men of science to visit this section, and the journey, the first one, made across the county on horseback.
1745--On Indian Mission--In June, 1745, Spangenburg and Zeisberger passed through the county and the Indian villages at North Towanda and Tioga Point on their journey to the capital of the Iroquois confederacy, a journey for both political and religious purposes. They were accompanied by Weiser, Shikellimy, a Cayuga sachem, and the Iroquois viceroy at Shamokin, one of his sons and Andrew Montour. Their object was to induce the Six Nations to conclude a peace with the Catawbas, to make satisfaction for murders perpetrated by the Shawanese and to obtain permission for the Christian Indians to begin a settlement at Wyoming. At this time but few Indians were observed at Oscalui (North Towanda); but they found many pictured trees about the place, it being on the great war-path. War parties were, in this way, accustomed to record the results of their campaigns. The bark was peeled off one side of the tree and on this were painted certain characters by which they understood from what tribe and of how many the war-party consisted, against what tribe they had fought how many scalps and prisoners they had taken and how many men they had lost.
1750--Missionaries on Journey--In the spring of 1750, Cammerhoff, a bishop in the Moravian church, in company with Zeisberger, passed up the Susquehanna from Wyoming to Tioga en route for Onondaga in order to negotiate with the Great Council for the establishment of a mission among the Iroquois. They were accompanied by a Cayuga chief and his family. When the party reached the vicinity of Wyalusing, the remains of an old town were still visible, which the Cayuga said was called "Go-hon-to-to," inhabited by Andastes upon whom the Five Nations made war and wholly exterminated them--the greater part being slain, a few only being taken captive and adopted by some of the families of the Cayugas.
1752--March 11, Northampton county (which included Bradford) constituted by Act of the Provincial Council.
1752--Indian Town Re-established--In 1752, Papunhank, a Monsey chief of some note from the Minisink country, with a number of families, came to Wyalusing and built a new town a little below the site of the old Gohontoto.
1754--All that part of Bradford county from a line 10 miles east of the Susquehanna river was contained in the Susquehanna Company’s Indian purchase at Albany in 1754; the balance of the county’s territory was within the Delaware Company’s Indian purchase also of 1754.
1756--Treaty with Indians--Diahoga (Athens) like Easton was favorite treaty ground, and many important councils and treaties were held there with the Indians. In 1756 Governor Morris sent Captain Newcastle (an Indian adopted by Morris) with a message and to treat with a number of Indian chiefs at Athens. The meeting was an important one and a treaty effected. The next year and frequently thereafter representatives of the proprietary government met the Indians at Athens on various missions.
1756--First Military Expedition--The French expedition of 1756 against Fort Augusta (Sunbury) "returned to Canada by way of the Indian trail up Lycoming creek." This evidently was the first military force ever to pass through Bradford county, as the old Indian trail from the headwaters of Lycoming creek passed down Towanda creek, thence northward to Tioga Point on the line of the great trail to Canada.
1756--The first known white person to have died within Bradford county was Susanna Nitchsman, a Moravian girl of Mahoning, who after being captured by the Indians, was carried captive to Tioga Point. Here she died in May 1756.
1760--On May 20, Christian Frederick Post, one of the most zealous missionaries, on his way to attend a council of the Western Indians, spent a night in the Indian town at Wyalusing and preached to the Indians in their own language. This is regarded as the first gospel sermon ever heard in the Susquehanna valley above Wyoming.
1763--May 23-27, Zeisberger preaches and labors among the Wyalusing Indians; in June, Zeisberger and John Woolman (a Quaker evangelist) preach to them; council select Zeisberger as teacher; June 20th, Papunhank, the Indian chief, was baptized by Zeisberger and named John. This was the first time this holy ordinance was ever administered in the county.
1765--Moravian Mission Established--After the interruption caused by Pontiac’s war, the Christian Indians returned to Wyalusing in May, 1765. They were accompanied by Zeisberger and Schmick (another missionary) and Schmick’s wife, who were to remain with them and be their resident religious instructors. Log cabins, bark-covered huts, a commodious meeting house and mission-house of unhewn logs were erected. At the close of the year there were connected with the mission 146 souls of whom 33 were communicants. In 1767 the town was rebuilt on higher ground under the supervision of the Moravian missionaries and the name changed to Friedenshutten, signifying "huts of peace." It consisted of 29 log houses, 13 huts and 7 stables for horses, besides a new church, 24 X 32 feet, constructed of squared white pine timber, with shingled roof and glazed windows, surmounted by a cupola containing a bell. The mission Indians had several hundred acres cleared on which they raised corn, oats, other grains, hay and vegetables; also had started a peach and apple orchard and owned horses, cattle, sheep, hogs and fowls. They were industrious, rich, contented and happy, except for the fear they might be obliged to leave their homes at the command of the Six nations, the Connecticut people or the Governor of Pennsylvania. During the continuance of the mission 139 had been baptized and 7 couples married, the first of whom were two converts, named Thomas and Rachel, Dec. 23, 1766, the first Christian marriage celebrated within the county; in June, 1772 all (211 including those from Sheshequin) removed to the Tuscaroras Valley in Ohio.
1765--The first trading post in Bradford county was established at Ulster by John Anderson and the Ogdens as early as May, 1765. For the next four or five years he and the Ogdens from Wyoming, made two trips each year, visiting the villages on the Susquehanna, buying peltry of the Indians, or exchanging for rifles, ammunition, trinkets and rum.
1766--Ulster Mission--Soon after the close of Pontiac’s war, Echgohund with a few Monsey families, settled at the mouth of Cash creek in the present village of Ulster. This being but a day’s journey by water from Wyalusing, the inhabitants of one town were frequent visitors at the other. From the first Echgohund, the chief, manifested deep interest in the success of the mission. On his return from Cayuga town, Zeisberger tarried here over night, May 4, 1766, and at the request of the Indians preached to quite a company of them, who gathered at the lodge where he stopped; John Ettwein, Zeisberger and Sensemann visit them and hold religious services May 10-12, 1768. John Roth was appointed to the Sheshequin (Ulster) mission, arrived February 4, 1769 and preached his first discourse the following day. From this time religious services were maintained with great regularity, morning and evening of each day. For the first year the congregation repaired to Friedenshutten for the sacraments and festivals of the church. Ulster being regarded as only an outlying station of the Wyalusing mission. February 16, 1769, missionary’s house erected of squared pine logs. This served also for a church until July of the next year (1770), when a chapel was erected, surmounted by a cupola containing a bell. The mission continued to increase in numbers and usefulness until the migration (1772 with those at Wyalusing) at which time it numbered 60 souls.
1768--Treaty at Fort Stanwix, November 5, 1768, at which time the proprietaries of Pennsylvania effected a purchase from the Six Nations of a tract of land, beginning at Owego, thence following the left bank of the Susquehanna as far as the mouth of Towanda creek, thence up the Towanda, along the Burnett hills, down Pine creek to the West Branch and across to the Ohio. (It included a large part of Bradford county). "This was called the new purchase and opened a wide field of adventure to the hardy pioneers of Pennsylvania. It was a vast school, too; in which some of the bravest soldiers of the subsequent wars were reared."
1769--Replying to the petition of John Papunhank and Joshua, the Mohican, in behalf of themselves and their friends at Wyalusing, John Penn, acting governor, under date of June 21, 1769, says: "One thing I must tell you, that I expect you will not give encouragement to the New England people who have taken possession of the proprietaries’ land at Wiawamack (Wyoming). If you expect to be protected by this government, you must not encourage the New England people, who are endeavoring to take the land from the Proprietaries."
1770--In May, Rudolph Fox, the first permanent settler within Bradford county, pitched his cabin near the mouth of Towanda creek. His daughter, Elizabeth, born September 1, 1770, was the first white child to see the light in the county.
1771--On May 28, the Susquehanna rose to an unprecedented height, inundating both the towns at Sheshequin and Wyalusing. At the latter place great damage was done by the water sweeping off fences and stock. At Sheshequin (Ulster) the inhabitants were compelled to take to their canoes and retire to the wooded heights back of the town.
1772--March 21, Northumberland county (which included Bradford) constituted by Act of the Provincial Council.
1772--Missions abandoned at Wyalusing and Ulster; two white families in the county, Rudolph Fox at Towanda and Peter Shufeldt in Asylum.
1773--Stropes and VanValkenburgs locate first (May, 1773) at Indian Meadows in Wyalusing, and permanently, 1776, in Wysox.
1774--This year, Connecticut formally assumed jurisdiction over the disputed territory (which included Bradford county), by organizing the town of Westmoreland and attaching it to the county of Litchfield.
1774--Connecticut surveys begun by Samuel Gordon, surveying the first of the Susquehanna Company’s townships in Bradford county, being the Long Township, extending south from Standing Stone 30 miles down the river.
1774--James Wells and Amos York, the first settlers to locate in Wyalusing, under Connecticut title.
1774--Benjamin Budd locates and makes the first improvement in Terry.
1774--Lemuel Fitch and Anthony Rummerfield, the first settlers in Standing Stone.
1775--Joseph Wharton, the first settler of Tuscarora, under Pennsylvania title.
1775--Samuel Cole and sons make the first permanent settlement in Asylum.
1775--During this year and the next, a considerable number of Connecticut people, Loyalists and Squatters locate along the river.
1776--War retards settlement; a number of inhabitants join the American army.
1777--March, Rudolph Fox of Towanda carried into captivity by the Indians.
1777--December 6, Indians and refugees plunder the house of Robert Fitzgerald in Standing Stone and drive off his stock.
1777--December, Colonel Dorrance’s expedition into the county after Tories.
1778--January, Lemuel Fitch of Standing Stone taken to Canada by the Indians.
1778--February 14, Indians and Tories plunder the home of Amos York at Wyalusing, drive off his stock and take him into captivity.
1778--March, Nathan Kingsley of Wyalusing taken to Canada by the Indians.
1778--May 20, Indians surprise the Stropes and VanValkenburgs of Wysox, burn their house, drive off stock and take both families into captivity.
1778--September, Col. Thomas Hartley with a force of 200 men fights Indians and destroys their towns in Bradford county.
1779--August, General Sullivan crosses the county in his notable campaign against the Six Nations.
1779--The first English sermons preached in Bradford county were at Tioga Point by Rev. Wm. Rogers, a Baptist chaplain in Sullivan’s army. Seven soldiers had been killed in the engagement at "Hogback Hill." Their bodies were brought back to camp and buried (August 14) with military honors together with "a funeral oration and prayer" by Parson Rogers. While waiting at Tioga Point, Dr. Rogers also delivered (August 18) a discourse in Masonic form on the death of Captain Davis and Lieutenant Jones. Freemasons, who had been killed near Wilkes-Barre. "General Sullivan and family, General Maxwell and family, the 11th Penna. regiment artillery, members of Lodge No. 19 and many other gentlemen of the army were present.
1779--County became depopulated. Owing to the various hostile movements from 1779 to 1783 there was left neither Whig, Tory nor Indian within the bounds of the county.
1780--April 3, Moses VanCampen and companions at Wysox turn upon their Indian captors, slay them and escape.
1781--March, James Thompson of Buffalo Valley makes thrilling escape at Towanda from Indians.
1782--April 14, desperate engagement at Lime Hill between the Franklin rescuing party and Indians; Mrs. Roswell Franklin killed.
1782--The Trenton Decree--In 1779 the Assembly of Pennsylvania passed an Act, assuming to itself the jurisdiction over the entire country granted to Penn, the Commonwealth thus becoming a party to the controversy with Connecticut. The Supreme Executive Council petitioned Congress in November, 1781, stating the matter in dispute between the two states and praying for a court to be constituted to hear and issue the case. In August, 1782, it was announced that commissioners had been mutually agreed upon by the delegates of the respective states. Each party having been duly notified, the Court commences its sessions at Trenton, N.J. Nov. 12, 1782. The proofs having been offered and the various points agreed, the court after passing a resolution to give no reasons for their decision and that the minority should agree to make the judgment unanimous, published December 30, 1782, the following decision: "We are unanimously of the opinion that Connecticut has no right to the lands in controversy. We are unanimously of the opinion that the jurisdiction and pre-emption of all territory lying within the charter of Pennsylvania, and now claimed by Connecticut, do and of right belong to the state of Pennsylvania." This decision became historic as the Trenton Decree. Prior to the decree four townships, Springfield, Standing Stone, Claverack and Ulster, in Bradford county, had been granted by the Susquehanna Company.
1783--May 30, Gen Simon Spalding and little band of patriots make the first settlement in Sheshequin.
1783-- The first store in the county opened at Tioga Point by Matthias Hollenback.
1783--Benjamin Patterson, the first settler in Athens, the first permanent settler being Jacob Snell in 1784
1773--April, Stoke township (which included Bradford county) of Northumberland county formed.
1774--In the spring of 1784 occurred the notable Ice Flood. The damage was particularly severe in the Wyoming Valley. "The breaking up of the Susquehanna river on the 15th of March, greatly distressed the inhabitants who had build their houses on the lowlands near the banks of the river. The uncommon rain and large quantities of snow on the mountains together with the amazing quantity of ice in the river, occasioned by the uncommon inclemency of the winter season, swelled the streams to an unusual height--ten and in many places twenty feet higher than it had ever been known since the settlement of the country. Horses, cattle and other effects of the settlers were swept down with the torrent and forever lost."
1784--All that part of Bradford county, north of Towanda creek and west of the Susquehanna river was included in the purchase made October 23, 1784 of the Six Nations at Fort Stanwix by Pennsylvania.
1785--Ezra Rutty, Abial Foster, Rufus Foster, Jonas Smith and Nathan Smith, the first permanent settlers on Sugar Creek in North Towanda.
1785--Benjamin Clark and Adrial Simons, the first permanent settlers in Ulster.
1786--Thomas Keeney, the first permanent settler in Wilmot.
1786--September 25, Luzerne county (which included Bradford) created by Act of Assembly.
1786--The oldest town in the county is Athens. A survey and plan of the town was made by surveyors of the Susquehanna Company in 1786--the one after which the village was built.
1786--Early in October, when the crops of corn and pumpkins were still on the ground, continuous rains produced a freshet which had seldom been equaled. Crops were swept away and the bosom of the river was covered with floating pumpkins. The loss was severely felt and many cattle died the succeeding winter for want of sustenance. For years this freshet was designated by the old inhabitants as the Pumpkin Flood.
1786-’87--The first grist-mill in the county was put up on Cayuta creek in Athens township in 1786-’87 by Prince Bryant. It was known long afterwards as Shepard’s mill.
1786-’87--The parallel of 42 degrees north latitude marks the Northern Boundary of Bradford county and the State. The survey establishing this line was made in 1786 and 1787.
1787--Jonathan Terry, the first permanent settler in Terry township.
1787--March 28, the Pennsylvania Assembly passed what was called the Confirming Law, in which it was provided, "that all rights or lots lying within the county of Luzerne, which were occupied or acquired by Connecticut claimants who were actual settlers there at or before the termination of the claim of the state of Connecticut by the Trenton Decree, and which rights or lots were particularly assigned to the said settlers prior to the said decree, agreeably to the regulations then in force among them, be and they are hereby confirmed to them, their heirs and assigns." provision was also made for compensating the Pennsylvania claimants out of the unappropriated lands of the commonwealth. The Confirming Law was suspended March 29, 1788 and finally repealed April 1, 1790 by the legislature.
1788--Thomas Park, the first permanent settler in Litchfield.
1788--The first houses of public entertainment in the county were kept by Isaac Hancock, who was licensed a "taverner" for Springfield (Wyalusing) and Thomas McClure for Tioga (Athens) in 1788.
1789--Samuel Cranmer, the first permanent settler of Monroe.
1789--Public Roads - As early as 1788 the settlers sent petitions to the court of Luzerne county, setting forth that public roads were necessary in various districts and asked that action be taken in relation to the same. The first petition on which action was taken by the court was for a "Road from Wysox to Tioga," presented at June sessions, 1789. Commissioners appointed, report at March sessions, 1790 that "they have viewed and laid out said road." This road had the general course of the Sullivan road (1779).
1790--James Rockwell, the first permanent settler in Pike.
1790--March, Wyalusing township and Tioga township formed from Stoke.
1790--The most celebrated Indian treaty within Bradford county was that held at Tioga Point, November 16-23, 1790. The nations present, either collectively or by representation, were the Senecas, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, Chippewas, and Stockbridge Indians. The chiefs who took the most active part in the council were Red Jacket, Farmer’s Brother, Little Billy, Captain Hendricks, Aupaumut, Fish Carrier, Good Peter and Big Tree. The United States government was represented by Col. Timothy Pickering, as Commissioner. He was a distinguished soldier of the Revolution and afterwards Postmaster General, Secretary of War, Secretary of State and U.S. Senator. Thomas Morris, son of Robert Morris, "the financier of the Revolution," was present on the occasion and adopted into the Seneca nation as sachem Otetiani.
1790--200 families living in Bradford county; population, 1100.
1790--First improvements made in Burlington and settled, 1791 by Abraham DeWitt, Isaac DeWitt, James McKean and William Dobbins.
1791--June 9, Col. Arthur Erwin shot and killed, while sitting in the house of Daniel McDuffee at Athens, by a dastardly villain, supposed to be an ejected squatter.
1791--The first church organization in Bradford county was the "Church of Christ at Wysox on the Susquehanna river in the State of Pennsylvania." It was organized October 3, 1791 at the house of Jehial Franklin in Wysox. The original members were Isaac Foster, Jonas Smith, Wm. Coolbaugh, Daniel Guthrey, Huldah Hickok and Rufus Foster, all of whom "entered into a solemn covenant with God and with one another by signing their names to a solemn covenant, as in the presence and fear of God." Rev. Jabez Culver was present and officiated. At the same meeting, Jehial Franklin, E.M. Franklin, John Newell, Jonathan Arnold Franklin, Abigail Franklin, Nathan Smith and James Lewis were "received by vote into full communion with the church."
1792--Rev. John Smith, the first settler in Wells township.
1792--First improvement made in Smithfield by Isaiah Grover, the first permanent settler being Reuben Mitchell in 1794.
1793--June 30, the first Presbyterian church in the county, organized in a log school house at Wyalusing by Rev. Ira Condit. The organization consisted of the following thirteen members: Uriah Terry, Lucretia York, Justus Gaylord, Jr., his wife, Lucretia, Zachariah Price, his wife, Ruth, Mary Lewis, Abigail Wells, Sarah Rockwell, Anna Camp, James Lake, Thomas Oviatt and Hannah Beckwith. Uriah Terry was at the same time ordained and installed Ruling Elder.
1794--French refugees arrive at their new home in Asylum.
1794--Daniel Wilcox and sons, the first settlers in Franklin.
1794--In March, a terrific windstorm, or hurricane, swept through the southwestern part of the county and in the path of a mile in width, left scarcely a tree standing.
1795--February 18, a large and enthusiastic meeting of the Susquehanna proprietors (reported at more than 1200) was held at Athens, at which, it was resolved to take vigorous measures to prosecute the claims of the company; "to prevent any ill-disposed person, without due authority, unlawfully intruding upon, surveying or attempting to seize and settle any of the aforesaid lands; afford a just protection to the property of the real owners and such settlers as enter on the same land peaceably, in due course of law and under real proprietors thereof, being fully determined , in a constitutional and legal manner only, to maintain and defend the title and claim which the aforesaid company have to the aforesaid lands; and also to recover such parts thereof as are possessed in opposition thereto."
1795--April, Wysox township formed from Tioga.
1795--Nathaniel Allen, the first permanent settler of Troy township.
1795--The first improvements made in Canton by Jonas Gere and Jonathan Prosser, the first permanent settler being Ezra Spalding in 1796.
1795--Hugh and Sterling Holcomb, the first permanent settlers in Leroy.
1795--Duke Liancourt, a celebrated French traveller, and Talleyrand, the famous French diplomatist, visit the colony at Asylum.
1795--April 11, the Intrusion Law passed by the legislature, inflicting heavy fines and imprisonment upon any convicted of taking possession of, entering, intruding or settling "on any lands within the limits of the counties of Northampton, Northumberland or Luzerne, by virtue or under color of any conveyance of half-share right, or any other pretended title not derived from the authority of this commonwealth, or the late proprietaries of Pennsylvania before the Revolution," making it a crime to combine or conspire to convey, possess or settle any such lands under any half-share right, but excepting the land within the seventeen townships.
1796--Dan Russell and Francis Mesusan, the first settlers in Orwell, the former, permanent.
1796--Louis Philippe, afterwards King of France, spends a week at Asylum.
1796--By the close of this year, nearly every foot of land in Bradford county was held by both Susquehanna Company rights and Pennsylvania warrants.
1796--The oldest secret society in the county is Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, Free and Accepted Masons; chartered July 6, 1796 and instituted May 21, 1798 at the house of George Welles at Tioga Point (Athens).
1796--First public road built up Towanda creek, from Silas Scovell’s to Daniel Wilcox’s in Franklin; extended to Canton, 1798.
1797--Nathaniel P. Moody, the first settler in Rome township.
1797--William Arnold, James Bowen and William Harding, the first settlers in Warren.
1797--January, Athens township and Ulster township formed by the division of Tioga.
1798-’99--The first public road up Sugar creek, from the river to Thomas Barber’s, built 1798-’99.
1799--Jeremiah Taylor, the first settler in Granville.
1799--Nathaniel Morgan, Eli Parsons and Eli Parsons, Jr., the first permanent settlers of Columbia.
1799--By Act of April 4, commonly called the compensation Law, commissioners were appointed to ascertain the quality, quantity and situation of lands in the seventeen townships held by Pennsylvania claimants before the Trenton decree, to divide the land into four classes and affix the value of each class. To lands of the first class a sum not exceeding $5 per acre; the second class $3, the third class $1.50; the fourth class 25 cents per acre, for which certificates were given on the release of the title to the State, receivable as specie at the land-office; no certificates were to issue until 40,000 acres were thus released and till Connecticut claimants to that amount under their hands and seals agreed to abide by the decision of the Commissioners. all disputes between Pennsylvania claimants were to be decided in the usual way, by the boards of property, from which an appeal could be taken to the courts.
1800--First post-offices established in the county at Wyalusing and Athens. The mail was brought in by carriers on foot from Wilkes-Barre, once in two weeks.
1800--Population of Bradford county, 3,500.
SUBMITTED BY PAT RAYMOND