Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1770-1800
Vol. I - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 150-169
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.
This abundant rain has made it a great year for fungi - Wildflower of NY &. PA by Joyce M. Tice 18 AUG 2003 at Fallbrook
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
Page 150 (continued)

Gideon Baldwin, who had been an early settler in Hanover, Luzerne county, and entrusted with several important offices, came to Wyalusing and occupied his Connecticut claim, 1787. In 1794 he sold to Humphrey Brown and removed to Wysox, where he died. He had a son, Gideon, who lived at Browntown, and his wife spent her last days with this son. Justus Lewis recites the following: "The mother of Gideon Baldwin was a pious old lady, a Methodist, and her house the home of the minister. She had the habit of falling asleep as soon as the meeting began. When she roused up at the close of the exercise, the question would generally be asked her by some wag, 'Well, Mother Baldwin, how did you like the sermon?' Her invariable answer would be, 'I never heard such an awakening sermon in my life'."

Stephen Strickland was born, 1763, in Connecticut, his ancestors being among the first settlers of Glastonbury. About 1787 he came to Monroe, settling on the Cole place. Here he married Nancy, daughter of Elisha Wilcox (page 111), and continued to reside until about 1798, removing to Wysox, having purchased a part of the "Franklin plains." While on a visit, 1800, to his native town, he received an injury on his head, and taking cold, inflammation of the brain supervened and he died before reaching home. Owing to some trouble about the title, Mr. Strickland's brother, Jacob, came to the farm and occupied it, his widow and family removing to Canton township. When Stephen, Jr. attained his majority, he purchased the interest of the other heirs and instituted suit for the recovery of the property, in which he was finally successful. Mrs. Strickland, who was a very successful business woman, went to Ohio with one of her daughters and died, 1841, in Franklin county, aged 73 years.

Page 151

The children of Stephen and Nancy Strickland were: Stephen, Amos, Johanna, Nancy, Rhoda and Polly.

Amos married Emily ______ and removed to Iowa.

Johanna married Mr. Bagley of Canton.

Nancy married Thomas B. Miles of Canton.

Rhoda married Dr. Sylvester Streeter of Canton.

Polly married Snow Reynolds of Canton and removed to Ohio.

Stephen, born January 1, 1791, married, March 16, 1818, Mary DeWitt of Burlington; died April 12, 1874. She, born December 16, 1793, died February 27, 1860. Their children, who married as follows, were:

(1) Celestia I., January 29, 1839 to Edwin B. Coolbaugh;

(2) Stephen, February 16, 1859 to Caroline Holmes;

(3) Morgan D., August 23, 1849 to Lucinda J. Watts;

(4) Mary Ann, May 11, 1852 to Job P. Kirby;

(5) Lucinda, October 21, 1856 to John Holmes.

John Shepard was born April 17, 1765 at Plainfield, Connecticut, and educated in the academy at that place, which was under the direction of Nathan Daboll, the celebrated arithmetician and astronomer. In 1784, Mr. Shepard accompanied his uncle, Gen. Simon Spalding to Sheshequin, and soon after engaged as clerk for Weiss and Hollenback in the Indian country at Newtown. After some experimental trading on his own account in the lake country, he returned to Tioga Point and clerked in Hollenback's store, 1787. He twice saved Matthias Hollenback's life, when threatened by a wily redskin. In 1788 he purchased the mills of Prince Bryant on Cayuta Creek, subsequently known as Shepard's Mills. He soon became prosperous, as these were the only mills of any capacity in the valley, and also made large land purchases and improvements. He kept a public house, and had a store and distillery. For many years he was a Justice of the Peace, and will be remembered as one of the most prominent and active pioneers of the county.

Mr. Shepard married, June 3, 1790, Anna, daughter of Judge Obadiah Gore of Sheshequin. Their children were:

Prentice died young;

Isaac lived and died near his birthplace;

Miami married Jesse Floyd of Long Island;

Amanda married Charles Hopkins, Athens;

Julia Ann, the author of "Early Times on the Susquehanna," married George A. Perkins, Athens;

Job married Abigail Ellsworth and lived at Milltown;

Phoebe married John Hepburn, Athens.

Mrs. Shepard died, 1805, and May 18, 1811, Mr. Shepard married his second wife, Miss Deborah Hawkins of Long Island. Their children were:

Ruth married Dr. A. H. Woodworth;

Letty died unmarried;

Page 152

John and Joseph both removed to California;

Mary married Silas Fordham, Athens.

Mr. Shepard, after a life of great activity, enterprise and usefulness, died May 15, 1837, aged 73 years.

John Neeley of Northumberland county purchased a tract of land at Greenwood (Powell), and in 1787 came on and made the necessary preparations for the removal of his family. Undertaking to swim a horse across the river at the mouth of Towanda Creek, he was drowned in Bowman's Eddy. His widow, who afterwards married Reese Stevens, came up and occupied the farm. A daughter, Rebecca Neeley, married Harmon Schrader of Monroe.

Thomas Park, the first permanent settler of Litchfield, was born, 1749, in Connecticut, a son of Josiah Park of English descent. The family were early settlers at Wyoming. Thomas was an active patriot. He joined Captain Spalding's company, and was in Sullivan's campaign against the Indians. In the spring of 1781, he was severely wounded in an encounter with the Indians, who were making a raid upon the settlers.

Mrs. Elizabeth Wolcott, a daughter, says: "In the early summer, 1781, during the convalescence of father, he married Abigail, daughter of Abraham Nesbit, an early settler of Wyoming. In the contest for land titles, father was most unfortunate, being a settler under Connecticut title. He even suffered imprisonment for no other crime. While thus confined, his family suffered most inhuman treatment at the hands of the Pennamites. Neighbors, who had been on most friendly terms came, and with taunts and jeers told my mother she must leave or they would burn the house over her head. 'That if they wished her to leave they must send someone clothed with authority to enforce their threats; she could not stand in awe of neighbors, with whom she had always been friendly.' But her words were unheeded. She was stripped of everything they could appropriate for their own use. Even a yoke of cattle father had paid for with money received for services during the war, were butchered and distributed among the Pennamites, for which he never received a farthing recompense. Mother has often asserted, 'That she suffered more, was more distressed during the Pennamite excitement, than in all those previous years of the Revolution.' These persecutions were in fact some of the moving causes of my parents leaving Wyoming and moving into the wilderness. Even if they suffered privations, they would have freedom, which would compensate for all the privations and hardships they would be called upon to endure. When importuned to apply for a pension as other soldiers of the Revolution were doing, father would invariably reply, 'We are in the enjoyment of all I ever fought for--the priceless boon of liberty--our country is free.'

Page 153

"In 1788 my parents, with their young children and my aged Grandfather Park, moved up the North branch of the Susquehanna and settled upon its eastern banks in what is now the township of Litchfield. At first, he had to procure his supplies at or near Wilkes-Barre, first earning the means wherewith to purchase them, either by the manufacture and sale of canoes, or perhaps a few weeks' labor in the settlements of Wyoming and Wilkes-Barre, would give him sufficient means to make his purchases, which had to be carried in a canoe up the river a distance of over 100 miles. When he had provided a sufficient amount in advance of our wants, he would make improvements upon the homestead in clearing and tilling the soil. Having cleared a piece of ground, he would prepare the same with spade and hoe, plant it with corn and potatoes, and as the season advanced, would plant and sow in like manner any seed adapted to the season. He finally secured the use of a team, in exchange for his labor, until his prosperity admitted of his having a team of his own.

"The first few years were a bitter struggle--we were often obliged to go without bread, dependent at times almost wholly upon fish, and wild greens that could be gathered from the forests for sustenance--my mother frequently going five or six miles to gather cowslips and similar growths of vegetation for greens, to help supply and sustain the family. One summer, in consequence of a scarcity of provisions everywhere, we were obliged to live on green buckwheat, boiled with wild game, for a number of days. In his old age, father was persuaded to apply for a pension, which was granted him and after his death continued to mother. Thomas Park died in 1819, aged 70 years, and was buried in the cemetery that his aged father had cleared at the state line." He was an uncle of Judge Gore of Sheshequin. Mrs. Park died, 1843. The children of Thomas and Abigail Park were: Daniel, Mary, Elizabeth, Susannah, Samuel, James, Thomas, Joseph and Amos.

Daniel married, 1806, Miss Martha Saunders, by whom he had eleven children; his second wife was Nancy Ellis, who bore him three children; he died September 21, 1842, in Litchfield, aged 60 years.

Mary, "the heroine of Litchfield," married, 1805, John Moore (page 134), and had two sons and a daughter; died February, 1843, in Litchfield, aged 59 years.

Elizabeth married, 1802, Elijah Wolcott; children, six sons and six daughters; died January 26, 1873, in Litchfield, aged 85 years.

Page 154

Susannah married, 1807, John R. Wolcott, brother of Elijah, and had one son; died, 1808, at Ithaca, N.Y., aged 20 years.

Samuel married Margaret Wolcott, sister of Elijah and John, and had four sons and one daughter; died, 1823, in Litchfield, aged 32 years.

James, the first white child born in Litchfield, married first Miss Margaret McKinney and had one son; married second, Sibyl Franklin, and had three children; married third, Anna Bronson, and had two sons and a daughter; died, 1857, in Litchfield, aged 64 years.

Thomas married his brother Samuel's widow, and had three daughters and one son; died, 1861, in Litchfield, aged 66 years.

Joseph married Miss Mary Stewart, and had four sons; died, 1862, in Litchfield, aged 65 years.

Dr. Amos P. married Miss Arlette Griffin, and had two daughters; died August 28, 1837, in Sheshequin, in his 33rd year.

Satterlee Family--Benedict Satterlee, originally of Groton, Connecticut, was one of the forty original settlers at Kingston, and is supposed to have been killed in some of the Yankee-Pennamite contests prior to the massacre, leaving a wife, one daughter and five sons. The mother fleeing with her children (Elizabeth, Elisha, Benedict, Elias, Nathaniel and Samuel) after the battle of Wyoming, perished in the wilderness of fatigue. Elizabeth married Elisha Matthewson and died at Athens. Benedict was long a school teacher at Athens, commencing as early as 1791; he was also the first constable for Tioga (1789) and served as such several years; he married Welthy, daughter of Joseph Spalding, moved to Mt. Morris, N.Y., and died there, January 8, 1813. Elias studied medicine and practiced his profession with great success at Elmira, N.Y., until his death, November 11, 1815, by an accidental discharge of a gun. Nathaniel and Samuel settled in Smithfield. The latter was an officer in the War of 1812, and a member of the Legislature from Lycoming county.

Elisha Satterlee, born May 12, 1760, served his country seven years in the struggle for Independence. September 17, 1776, he enlisted as a private in Capt. Samuel Ransom's company, attached to Col. John Durkee's regiment of the Connecticut line, and served until June 6, 1783. He was with Washington at Valley Forge in the memorable winter of 1777-78, and in Sullivan's expedition against the Indians, 1779. In the Connecticut controversy, he was next in prominence to Colonel Franklin. Elisha Satterlee was a very large man, "so stout, indeed, that he had a special chair." January 11, 1787, he married Cynthia, sister of Ira Stephens, and in 1788 settled at Athens.

Page 155

He died August 25, 1826, and his wife, May 9, 1848, aged 79 years. They had three children:

Lemira married first Harry S. Spalding; second, William Myer, Wysox.

Aurelia married Robert Spalding.

John Franklin, a prominent and influential citizen, was long actively engaged in the material progress of the county and Athens, where he died February 11, 1856, aged 68 years. He married first, Julia, daughter of Dr. Amos Prentice, and had children: Orrin D., Elisha, Anna P. (Mrs. Horace Kinney), Cynthia L. (Mrs. Edward Ovenshire), and Julia P. (Mrs. George Stevens);

He married second, Elizabeth, daughter of Josiah Marshall, Sheshequin, by whom children were: Sarah (Mrs. James Lemon), John F., Elizabeth (Mrs. John A. Thomson), Lucy (died unmarried), Marion B. (Mrs. William R. Schuyler).

Elisha Matthewson was a son of Winchester Matthewson, a native of Rhode Island, who exchanged valuable property in that state for Connecticut rights, and emigrated to the Wyoming Valley, where he died, 1778, before the battle, leaving three sons, Elisha, Constant and Nero, all then in the service of their country. Nero perished in the massacre at Wyoming. Constant was killed in the battle at Mud Fort. Elisha served through the war in Captain Spalding's company, receiving in 1783 an honorable discharge for 6 1/2 years' service over the hand of Washington. He was one of the original proprietors of Athens, drew several lots, and in 1788 settled there permanently. Soon after coming to Athens, he was elected major of Militia, and in 1789 appointed an overseer of the poor for Tioga township. In 1795 he was licensed a taverner and kept a public house until the time of his death. He married, 1791, Elizabeth, daughter of Benedict Satterlee. "Major Matthewson," as he was known, died April 11, 1805, aged 48 years, and his wife, one of the last survivors of the "Wyoming Massacre," December 14, 1851, aged 91 years. Their children were: Constant, Elias S., Cynthia, Fanny, Clarissa, Lydia and Elizabeth.

Constant married, 1821, Cynthia, daughter of Moses Park; member of the Legislature, 1827-28; died July 19, 1863, aged 71 years; son, Park.

Elias S. married Harriet, daughter of Ira Stephens; lived and died in Athens. Children: William H., George S., Constant, Elizabeth (Mrs. Washburn), Harriet (Mrs. Delano), Emily (Mrs. Tozer), Lydia (Mrs. Buck).

Cynthia married Lebbeus Hammond.

Fanny married a Mr. White.

Clarissa married John McDuffee, Athens.

Lydia married William Means, Towanda.

Elizabeth married Benjamin McKean, Columbia.

Page 156

Ira Stephens, son of Jedediah Stephens, was born July 24, 1760, at Stonington, Conn. He early removed with his father to Wyoming. In 1776 he enlisted in Captain Durkee's (afterwards Spalding's) company, and served until the close of the war. He was in the Sullivan expedition, at Valley Forge, the battle of Germantown and other notable engagements of the Revolution. His discharge, signed by General Washington, is carefully preserved by his descendants. In 1788, Mr. Stephens removed to Athens, being one of the original proprietors of the town and having had several lots assigned him. His father accompanied him to Athens and died, 1790, aged 87, being one of the first persons buried in the old graveyard. Ira Stephens was one of the proprietors of the Old Academy, an original member and first Junior Warden (1798) of Rural Amity Lodge, F. & A. M., supervisor, 1793, constable, 1796, and overseer of the poor, 1798. While at Angelica, N.Y., September 19, 1803, looking after his investments, he was killed by a desperado. He was buried at Angelica, with Masonic honors. Mr. Stephens had married, 1784, Sibyl, daughter of Capt. Samuel Ransom, slain at the battle of Wyoming. She was born February 1, 1764 at Canterbury, Conn.; died April 30, 1826 at Athens. Mrs. Stephens was a very remarkable woman. When her youngest child, Cynthia, was only 4 months old, the last payment on the New York lands became due. The brave widow went on horseback with the baby in her arms to Angelica, driving with the help of a boy, a herd of young cattle to complete the purchase. With wonderful tact, she managed affairs and reared her large family. Their children were: Chester, Polly, Esther, Lydia, Samuel Ransom, Laura, George P., Harriet, Ira H. and Cynthia.

Chester, born March 12, 1785, married Lucinda Grant; died, 1874. He was prominent in business and social affairs of Athens, and an authority on the men and events of early times. He had two daughters, Clara and Caroline, and a son, W. G. Stephens.

Polly, born November 3, 1786, married Reuben Swift, and died at an advanced age at Palmyra, N.Y.

Harriet, born September 10, 1799, married Elias S. Matthewson; died in Athens at an advanced age.

Ira H., who married Anna Eliza, daughter of Joseph Kingsbury, Sheshequin, was the 10th sheriff of Bradford county. For a number of years he kept hotels at North Rome and Towanda, serving as burgess of the latter place, 1843. He died February 1, 1862, at North Towanda, aged 59 years, 2 months and 29 days. Children: Burton and George (both died in California), Ira E., Frank, Mahlon C. and Anna (died in childhood).

Page 157

Dodge Family--The Dodges are of English descent and came very early to Massachusetts and Connecticut. Jonathan Dodge, son of David Britain and Rebecca Yeomans Dodge, was born August 3, 1721; married, November 7, 1744, Marcy Williams of New London, Conn. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, having enlisted August 20, 1777, in the company commanded by Captain Asa Prince in the regiment of Col. Danforth Keyes and served until January 3, 1778. The children of Jonathan and Marcy Williams Dodge were: Oliver, Jonathan, Mary, Marcy, Daniel, Abigail, Anna and Sarah.

Jonathan, born September 20, 1747, married Mary Warner; died September 29, 1794.

Mary, born September 20, 1749, married, June 12, 1769, Samuel Gilbert, and died January 7, 1833, in Asylum.

Daniel, born July 19, 1757, married Lucy Latimer, died September 14, 1807.

Abigail, born August 18, 1759, married Benjamin Green.

Anna, born September 14, 1761, married Nathan Latimer; died June 10, 1798.

Sarah, born June 3, 1764, married James Morgan and was the mother of Judge Harry Morgan of Wysox.

Oliver Dodge was born September 2, 1745, at Colchester, Conn. He was a Revolutionary soldier and of a family of patriots, being one of five of that name who fought at the battle of Bunker Hill. He enlisted Aug. 20, 1777, in the company of Capt. Asa Price, Col. Danforth Keyes's regiment of Danvers, Mass.; discharged June 3, 1778. In 1785 he removed from New London, Conn., to Wyalusing, where he remained until 1788, when he moved to Terrytown, settling on a 600-acre tract, known for more than a century as the "Dodge farm." He moved into a dilapidated log house (probably built by the Budds, 1774), which before winter was supplanted by a comfortable log dwelling in which he lived until his death. He was a man of prominence and activity in the early history of the county. From his rank in the old militia, he was generally known as "Major Dodge." He died January 31, 1802, and is buried in the Dodgetown cemetery on the farm he settled. Mr. Dodge married first, Sarah Williams of New London, Conn., March 19, 1767; she died May 1, 1773, leaving two children: Hannah, born October 31, 1769; Sarah, born December 8, 1772.

For a second wife, Mr. Dodge married, November 1, 1773, Abigail, daughter of Jonathan and Rachel Otis Harris of Colchester, Conn. Abigail Harris, born December 22, 1748, "was an energetic, thorough-going woman of unusual business capabilities. Her husband was the owner of a number of rights under Connecticut title, and his death having occurred just prior to the 17 townships being confirmed, left the task of securing the land title upon her. In the management of the estate, she exhibited great prudence and foresight, the business of which frequently compelled her to go to Wilkes-Barre, a distance of 65 miles, always on horse-back and frequently alone.

Page 158

In 1806, while making one of these trips, it became very dark. In passing a school house, she found the teacher and children crying, thinking the world was coming to an end. She pacified them by explaining that the darkness was only an eclipse of the sun and would soon pass away." She died July 16, 1837, at Terrytown. The children of Oliver and Abigail Dodge were: Hannah, Oliver Williams, Alpheus, Edmund, Sarah, Abigail, Lynds, Jonathan, Daniel and Alfred.

Hannah, born July 25, 1774, married, 1791, Humphrey Brown, Wyalusing.

Oliver Williams, born October 3, 1775, married first, Elizabeth Latimer, and had children:

(1) Lyman married Samantha Preston;

(2) Abigail married first, John T. Preston, second, Aaron Ely;

(3) Lina married William Deemer;

(4) Lucy married Francis X. Homet;

(5) Oliver W. married Angeline Preston;

(6) Daniel married Elizabeth Preston;

(7) Nathan married Margaret Shiner.

For his second wife, Mr. Dodge married Mary Wythe, widow of Daniel Gilbert.

In 1826 he moved to Franklin township, where he died February 1, 1845.

Alpheus, born October 2, 1776, grew to manhood and left Terrytown.

Edmund, born December 22, 1777, married first, Abigail Terry, by whom he had children, Oliver and Nancy. He married second, March 7, 1810, Rebecca, daughter of John and Susanna Franklin, and had children as follows:

(1) Alpheus, born June 4, 1811, died September 3, 1821.

(2) Abigail, born April 18, 1813, died, unmarried, September 13, 1890.

(3) John Franklin, born December 24, 1814, married January 4, 1842, Melissa, daughter of John Elliott, died October 14, 1871.

(4) Susannah, born October 16, 1816, married, March 7, 1835, Elias Vaughan, Jr., died May 12, 1880.

(5) Sally, born January 16, 1819, married, April 6, 1848, Francis Viall, died April, 1896.

(6) Mary, born November 9, 1820, married, February 25, 1840, Enos Chapman, died November 18, 1871.

(7) Lynds B., born December 24, 1822, died February 22, 1825.

(8) Betsy, born June 5, 1825, married, June 8, 1847, E. Nelson Keeler, died November 30, 1887.

Edmund Dodge died November 11, 1861, at Terrytown.

Sarah, born January 10, 1779, married a Mr. Pinkerton.

Abigail, born October 30, 1781, married Alexander d'Autremont.

Lynds, born March 12, 1783, grew to manhood and left Terrytown.

Jonathan, born October 13, 1785, married October 8, 1808, Margaret Atherton.

Daniel, born May 13, 1787, married, February 5, 1809, Mehitable Bennett.

Page 159

Alfred, born November 12, 1790, grew to manhood and left Terrytown.

Richard and Joshua Keeney, brothers and single young men, came from Connecticut in the Spring of 1788, settling in Wilmot. A few months after arriving, Richard married Marcy, daughter of Thomas Keeney (page 145). Joshua returned to Connecticut, married, 1790, Miss Phebe Sturdevant, and brought back to the settlement with him his aged father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Mark Keeney, and brother, Thomas. His parents both died on the Gamble place, the mother, July 7, 1804, and the father, October following. Joshua located in Wyoming county, Richard and Thomas remaining in Wilmot some years.

Scovell (Scoville) Brothers, James, Silas and Orr, sons of Elisha Scovell (a native of Connecticut, settled at Exeter, Luzerne county, Pa.), in quest of homes, arrived at Towanda, 1788, and purchased lots in Claverack under Connecticut title. James and Silas secured a possession from a man named Smith, who "farmed a little and preached a little," as necessity required or occasion afforded. Silas built and occupied probably the first framed house in Towanda township. James returned to Luzerne county, and Silas kept "bachelor's hall" until 1796, when he married. Orr purchased and settled on the Scott farm. He married Mary, daughter of Ezra Rutty, early removed to Canton and finally to Indiana, where he died.

Silas Scovell, born March 18, 1763, married, June 4, 1796, Abigail Harris of Luzerne county. He employed his time most diligently in the improvement of his farm and in earning a few dollars as opportunity would permit. He generally drove three ox-teams, making trips with them to the Lake country, taking mill-stones and bringing back salt, which then sold for $13 per barrel. There was very little money in circulation and this was, indeed, hard to get. A cow was worth $8 and a horse $50. Mr. Scovell's house was ever the home of the Connecticut emigrants, sometimes for weeks together, while exploring the country to settle. At his death, June 28, 1824, Mr. Scovell left a valuable estate. His wife, born March 1, 1774, died February 28, 1855. Their children were: Phoebe, Peter H., Harry, Calista, Caroline, Silas, Joseph J. and Abigail.

Phoebe, born March 9, 1799, married Nathan Stevens of Pike.

Peter Harris, born February 26, 1801, married Olive Ackley, Tuscarora, and occupied a portion of the homestead.

Harry, born February 13, 1803, married first, Sarah Courtwright, Exeter, Pa., and after her death, Elizabeth Titus, Smithfield; succeeded to the homestead, where he died September 19, 1894.

Page 160

Calista, born November 24, 1804, died, unmarried, May 28, 1825.

Caroline, born September 27, 1806, married H. S. Frazier, Wyalusing.

Silas, born October 14, 1808, married Maria Dill, occupied a portion of the homestead and died thereon, October 18, 1852.

Joseph Jenkins, born November 4, 1810, married Harriet Taylor, occupied a part of the homestead, where he died, June 15, 1889.

Abigail, born February 14, 1817, married E. Reuben DeLong, North Towanda, died December 23, 1894.

Daniel McDuffee, born February 18, 1752 of Scotch parentage, in County Antrim, Ireland, after his marriage to Dorothy Ladley came to America, locating at first in Bucks county, Pa. He was the intimate and entrusted friend of Col. Arthur Erwin, and came, 1788, to Athens as tenant and agent for that gentleman, who held many Pennsylvania warrants. Colonel Erwin, who was a distinguished officer of the Revolution, while sitting in the house of Mr. McDuffee, June 9, 1791, was shot and killed by a dastardly villain, supposed to be an ejected squatter. Mr. McDuffee became an extensive owner of Erwin lands, which he improved and still in part owned and occupied by his descendants. He is described as "a tall and sprightly man, who played well on the flute and was also an expert weaver." He died July 6, 1831, and his wife, January 28, 1845, aged 88 years. The children of Daniel and Dorothy McDuffee were: Anna (Mrs. Francis Tyler), Daniel, Hugh, Samuel, Joseph, Ferdinand, Neil, Rebecca (Mrs. Horatio McGeorge), John, Mary (Mrs. Jeremiah Decker) and Charles.

Guy Maxwell, born in Ireland, 1770, came to Athens, 1788, as clerk and manager of Judge Hollenback's store, continuing some years. In 1791, when only 21 years of age, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace for Tioga, probably being the youngest man ever filling that office in the county. He was granted a license as a taverner, 1791, and in 1792 a license was granted him and Samuel Hepburn jointly. He won the friendship and admiration of the Indians, acted as clerk and interpreter at some of their Councils and was finally adopted together with others of his family as members of the Senecas and Tuscaroras. While residing at Athens, he married, 1789, Nellie, daughter of William Wynkoop of Chemung. A son, Thomas, born 1790, became a noted citizen of Elmira and was elected to congress. In 1796, Mr. Maxwell removed to Newtown, where he engaged in business on his own account.

Page 161

Samuel Hepburn, in or before 1788, came to Athens from Milton, Pa., with a small stock of goods and kept a trading establishment. In 1790, he was also licensed a taverner. He married, after locating in Athens, a daughter of William Miller. In 1796, Mr. Hepburn removed to Elmira but finally returned to Milton, where he died. His widow married Samuel Erwin, son of Col. Arthur Erwin.

David Alexander, who had served as a Frontier Ranger during the Revolutionary war, came to Athens in or before 1788 and for many years was one of the active and enterprising men of the town. He was merchant, distiller, inn keeper and the owner of several village lots. He married Margaret, daughter of William Miller, and had children: Hugh, Edith, William, Margaret, Matthew, Samuel, John, David, Cyrus and Arospo, all born at Athens. About 1810, Mr. Alexander went West with his family, settling at Shiloh, Illinois. He was killed by lightning in 1822, at the age of 62 years.

William Witter Spalding was born Nov. 18, 1767 at Plainfield, Conn. He was a son of Oliver and Mary (Witter) Spalding, and a descendant in the sixth generation from Edward Spalding. His father was a soldier in the old French war and also the war of the Revolution. In 1788, Mr. Spalding joined the Sheshequin settlement, and the following year married Rebecca, daughter of General Spalding. He took an active part in the affairs incident to the new settlement. In 1792, he was appointed the first constable for Sheshequin, an office he held for several years. He was the crowning athlete of the neighborhood, as the following will illustrate: "In 1790, the Six Nations went on a treaty mission to Philadelphia. On their return they stopped at General Spalding's and challenged the Whites for a foot-race. The challenge was accepted and William Witter Spalding selected as the champion of the settlers and won the race. This gave umbrage to the Indians, and then Spalding challenged them to run a mile, but it was refused and peace was maintained with much difficulty, the Indians drawing their knives for fighting." Mr. Spalding spent his last days with his son, Col. Robert Spalding in Wysox, where he died October 16, 1845. The children of William Witter and Rebecca Spalding were: Robert, Morris, Anna, Maria, John Adams, Erastus, Harriet B., Ruth Ann, Alexander Hamilton and Jane Rebecca.

Colonel Robert, born July 1, 1790, married Aurelia, daughter of Elisha Satterlee (page 154), died October 6, 1853, in Wysox. He became widely known as one of the most prominent business men of the county. He was a colonel in the State Militia, active in religious work and a philanthropist. His wife, born August 9, 1793, died September 17, 1869.

Page 162

Their children, who married as follows, were:

(1) Cynthia S., born March 22, 1815, married Francis A. Tyler, died 1886;

(2) Alexander Hanson, born August 27, 1816, married Clara F. Ovenshire, was the 17th sheriff of the county, died March 19, 1882;

(3) Chester Pierce, born October 12, 1818, married Mary Smith, died March 26, 1896;

(4) Rebecca, born September 27, 1820, married Silas P. Gore, died December 11, 1895;

(5) Lemira K., born September 13, 1822, married Morris J. Coolbaugh, died in Kansas;

(6) Major Israel P., born June 22, 1825, married Ruth E. Cooley, died July 28, 1863, from the effects of wounds received at Gettysburg;

(7) Aurelia, born February 11, 1827, married Jerre M. Collins, died August 23, 1892;

(8) Mary P., born Dec. 17, 1834, married Hon. Chauncey S. Russell, died Nov. 15, 1903;

(9) Helen M., born Dec. 17, 1834, married William Elwell, Jr., died April 17, 1887.

Morris, born March 24, 1792, married Clarissa Cash, was county commissioner from 1834 to '36, removed West and died May 5, 1865, at Tiskilwa, Ill.

Anna, born June 3, 1794, married Henry Smith of Avoca, N.Y.

Maria, born October 4, 1796, married William Briggs of Athens.

John Adams, born September 7, 1799, died in Maryland, April 7, 1847.

Erastus, born October 17, 1802, removed to Tiskilwa, Ill.

Harriet B., born May 20, 1804, married Cyrus M. Johnson and lived in Chicago, Ill.

Ruth Ann, born May 8, 1806, married Henry Marcy.

Alexander H., born Dec. 5, 1809, married Jane Gardner, died 1839 in Athens.

Jane Rebecca was born March 3, 1813.

Obadiah Brown, a native of New Jersey, who had served in the Revolutionary War and a tanner by occupation, located in Upper Sheshequin in or before 1789, where he remained a number of years. In 1790, his family consisted of four males and three females. His daughter, Rebecca, married John Minier of Ulster; one of the sons was Obadiah, Jr., who had a son, Obadiah. Mr. Brown spent his last days in Columbia township, where he died in 1836.

Ralph Martin, who had served in the Northampton county Militia during the Revolutionary War, came to Wysox, 1789. He settled the present Conklin farm, which he cleared up. He was a man of considerable prominence, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors. He was one of the leaders of the Federal party, a captain in the State Militia and one of the first members of the original Wysox church.

Page 163

Captain Martin, as he was known, married Anna Shoemaker, and had children: Eleanor, Peggy, Elizabeth, Susannah, Daniel, John and Benjamin. For his second wife, Captain Martin married the widow of Daniel Kellogg. He died February 1, 1836, in Wysox, at an advanced age. Of his children:

Eleanor married Robert Ridgway, Wysox.

Peggy (Margaret) married Josiah W. Grant, Orwell.

Elizabeth married Hiram Mix, Wysox.

Susannah married Mr. Cross of Wysox.

Daniel married Rhoda, daughter of Richard Vaughn, Wyalusing.

John married Harriet J. _____.

Benjamin married Elizabeth, daughter of Christopher Cowell; died December 4, 1815, aged 34 years. Their children, who married as follows, were:

(1) Ralph, to Hannah, daughter of John Birney;

(2) Nelson, to Hannah Townsend;

(3) William, to Annis Orr;

(4) Minerva, to James Ennis.

Peter Snyder, who was of German descent, came from Lafayette, Sussex county, N.J., to Sheshequin, 1789. He purchased several hundred acres of land, settling in the upper part of the valley. Here, in conjunction with farming, he operated a tanyard, made saddles and harnesses and conducted a shoe shop at the same time. He accumulated a considerable fortune. Mr. Snyder married first a Miss Larrison, by whom he had three children, Jacob, Mary and Maria. For his second wife, he married Mrs. Mary Young, who had two children by her former marriage--Thomas and Mary. The children of Peter and Mary Snyder were: William, Peter, Elizabeth, Katherine, Nancy, John and Benjamin Pitney. Mr. Snyder died January 14, 1822, aged nearly 78 years, and his wife, June 7, 1847, aged almost 94 years.

Jacob removed to Wayne county, N.Y., where he died unmarried.

Mary married and removed West, where she died.

William learned his father's trade and subsequently bought out his business. He also opened a hotel, and "Snyder's" became a place of note, a considerable village springing up around him. He married Hannah, daughter of John Parks, Rome. He died October 12, 1860, in his 78th year, and his wife, June 19, 1881, aged nearly 90 years. Their children, who married as follows, were: Polly, to Harry Shaw; Sally, to Nathaniel Moody; Julia, to Charles Forbes; Wright, to Delilah Catlin; Mianda, to George Northrup; Emeline, to Loren D. Tyrrell; Eliza, to Frank Van Norstran; William, to Laura M. Elsbree; John P., to Sarah Prentiss.

Elizabeth married a Mr. Wheeler, removed to Wayne county, N.Y., reared a large family and died there.

Page 164

Katherine married first Abraham Wandall, second John Chandler, Sheshequin.

Nancy died unmarried, 1868, aged 76 years.

John married Eve Royce; died in Litchfield. His son, Orrin D., was killed at the battle of Chancellorsville.

Benjamin Pitney married for his first wife, Polly M. Harris. He died in Athens township, where he was an extensive farmer.

Maria and Peter died young.

Coolbaugh Family--William Coolbaugh (of German descent and originally Coolbrook), said to have been a sea captain, with his wife, Sarah Johnson, settled in Hunterdon county, N. J. He served as a private during the Revolutionary War in Capt. Samuel Growendyck's company of New Jersey State Troops. From Hunterdon he removed to Monroe county, Pa., and later to Bucks county. He was the father of ten children: Moses, Cornelius, John, William, Peter, Hannah, Benjamin, Sarah, Rachel and Nancy.

Moses Coolbaugh, who was born in Monroe county and served different enlistments in the Northampton county Militia during the Revolutionary War, came to Wysox, 1789, with his family, which he brought up the river in a Durham boat. He at first occupied the Roswell Franklin house, opposite Towanda, then, 1791, purchased the improvement of Asahel Roberts (now the Jesse Coolbaugh farm) and moved thereto where he continued to reside until the time of his death. Mr. Coolbaugh was one of the most prominent men of his time in Upper Luzerne county. In 1793 he was commissioned a Justice of the Peace and in 1806 elected to the State Legislature. He subsequently served as a magistrate, was one of the charter members of the first church organization in Wysox and filled the offices of deacon and scribe. His death occurred February 22, 1814, aged 62 years. His wife was Hannah Shoemaker, who died November 13, 1828, in her 73rd year. Their children were: William, Samuel, Cornelius, Daniel, Alice, Sarah and Eleanor.

William married Hannah, daughter of John and Anna (Hinman) Johnson of Wysox and settled in Macedonia, where he died May 30, 1856, aged 79 years, 4 months and 27 days. His wife died September 29, 1859, aged 79 years and 3 months. Their children, who married as follows, were: Moses, to Sally Hickok; Harry, to Polly Bailey; John, to Elizabeth Sherman; Betsy, to Amos Hulbert; Sally, to Jonathan Stevens; Polly, to Lloyd Ackley; Ellen, to Joseph Sill.

Samuel, born December 25, 1790, married, December 24, 1815, Nancy Ogden of Wyalusing, born January 25, 1798.

Page 165

He was a man of much energy and enterprise, operating two saw mills on Wysox Creek, a grist mill, merchandising, farming and rafting at the same time. He accumulated a fine fortune and died November 19, 1874; his wife died May 9, 1884. Their children were:

(1) Edwin B., born March 24, 1813, married Celestia Strickland; died March 31, 1877.

(2) Eustis A., born Nov. 5, 1819, married first Harriet York, second Sophronia York, occupied the homestead, where he died June 8, 1904.

(3) Cynthia M., born Nov. 15, 1821, married Jesse Allen.

(4) Maurice J., born Sept. 24, 1823, married Lemira K. Spalding, was county commissioner from 1876 to '79, removed to Kansas, where he died.

(5) Hannah R., born Sept. 30, 1825, married Lyman Morgan; died March 3, 1854.

(6) Anna, born Dec. 26, 1830, married William Lewis, Wysox.

(7) Charles B., born Jan. 7, 1840, married Sarah Bartlett; died Jan. 29, 1863 in the service of his country.

(8) Alice died at the age of 16 years, and two others in early childhood.

Cornelius, born September 25, 1792, occupied a portion of the homestead. He married first Jemima Wilcox of Albany. Children:

(1) Daniel M., born April 25, 1815, married Ellen, daughter of Dr. Elisha Whitney, removed to Illinois, 1844, thence to Minnesota, and died July 16, 1876 at Minneapolis.

(2) Ransom W., born September 27, 1819, married Anna, daughter of Daniel Martin, settled and died in Pike township.

(3) Eunice died in childhood.

For his second wife, Mr. Coolbaugh married Anna Larrison of Tioga county. Children:

(1) Jemima, born July 8, 1823, married Job P. Kirby, died July 15, 1850;

(2) Herman C., born June 25, 1825, married Elizabeth Lewis of Pike, died April 27, 1911 at Hamburg, Iowa.

(3) Theodore died in childhood.

(4) Elizabeth died, 1853, unmarried, aged 23.

(5) Amelia, born Jan. 11, 1833, married first Dr. George Morgan, second Benjamin Irving Ridgway, died August 14, 1909.

Mr. Coolbaugh married for his third wife, Mrs. Hannah Bingham, Towanda. He died Aug. 20, 1860.

Daniel occupied the homestead. He built, 1828-'29, the brick residence occupied by his son, Jesse R. Here for a time he kept hotel and was postmaster. He also operated a distillery. In the 1840's, he became a strong advocate of temperance. Going to the still house, he knocked in the heads of the casks containing liquor, which he spilled upon the ground. Ever after he was a faithful champion of the temperance cause. On his farm bricks were made for his residence and the Wysox brick church. He married first Anna, daughter of Richard Vaughn, no children resulting. His second wife was Lucy Keep Rogers of Whitney's Point, N.Y. Children: Lyman R. of Elmira, N.Y., and Jesse R., Wysox.

Page 166

Mr. Coolbaugh died March, 1860, aged 73 years, and his wife, Lucy, January 17, 1892, aged 78 years.

Alice ("Elsie") married first Nathaniel Moger and second Burr Ridgway.

Sarah, born December 25, 1790, married Shepard Pierce, was the mother of 13 children and died in Wysox, September, 1850.

Eleanor married William Allen of Wysox.

William Coolbaugh, who had married Susanna Shoemaker, came to Wysox at about the same time as his brother, Moses. He subsequently moved to Yates county, N.Y. His daughters, Sally and Elizabeth, married, respectively, David Allen and Norman Wells.

Benjamin Coolbaugh, born December 10, 1767, married Jerusha, daughter of Absalom Runyan, who was a wagon-master in the New Jersey Militia during the Revolutionary War. He came to the county some years after his brothers, Moses and William, settling in Macedonia, where he died Feb. 13, 1815. His wife, born March 16, 1777, died Oct. 27, 1855. Their children were: William, Absalom, Moses, Johnson R., Lovina, Sally Ann and Rachel.

William, born Feb. 10, 1799, married Margaret, daughter of David Vought. Their children, who married as follows, were: Ellen, to Harry G. Goff; Jerusha, to J. M. Bowman; Benjamin F., to Caroline Miller; Absalom Runyan, to Emily DeLong, killed at the battle of Gettysburg; Johnson R., to Susan H. Dana; Mary M., to Capt. Daniel W. Gore; Alice B., to John Dunfee; William O., to Sarah McAlpin.

Absalom married Catherine, daughter of John Bull of Wysox. Children: Jefferson Large, Adelbert M., George W., Moses M. and Mary L. (Mrs. M. E. Rosenfield).

Moses married Nancy Brewster, had a large family and removed to Byron, Ill. about 1847.

Johnson R. married Malita Maynard of Rome.

Lovina married a Mr. McAlpin.

Sally Ann married David Owen, Wysox.

Rachel married Richard Bennett, Wysox.

Peter Coolbaugh followed his brothers to Wysox, where he lived for a few years, then returned to Luzerne county. He had children: Benjamin, William, Aaron, Eli, Mary and Lovina.

Benjamin removed to Monroeton and engaged in the mercantile business. He married first Louisa Alden, second Jennett Ridgway. Marvin, Monroe and Edwin B. were children by his former marriage.

Page 167

Rachel Coolbaugh, sister of Moses, William, Benjamin and Peter, married Christopher Cowell, and with her husband early joined the Macedonia settlement, where she reared a family and died September 20, 1841 in her 77th year.

None of the other children of William and Sarah (Johnson) Coolbaugh lived in Bradford county. Cornelius married Sarah Everett of New Hope, Bucks county; John married Susanna Van Campen, was an associate judge of Wayne county 22 years, and one of the leading men of his section; Hannah married first a Mr. Tanner, second Silas Barton, died at New Britain, Bucks county; Sarah married Aaron Morris and died in Philadelphia; Nancy married a Mr. Barton of Monmouth, N.J.

The Cranmer Family in this country are supposed to be descendants of the martyr Cranmer, who was burned alive for his religious belief in the reign of Queen Mary of England, and to have come to America at about the time of the Pilgrim Fathers, 1620.

Noadiah Cranmer, born August 26, 1736, was a patriot, and as a soldier participated in nearly all the battles fought in New Jersey during the Revolutionary War. In 1791, he followed his son, Samuel, to Monroe, Bradford county, where he died Feb. 14, 1829, in his 93rd year. He married Catherine _____, who died Nov. 2, 1793, aged 57 years. They had sons: John, Stephen and Samuel.

John Cranmer was a wagon-master in the Revolutionary War. In 1791 he joined the settlement of his brother, Samuel, in Monroe, where he died May 10, 1810, aged 51 years. He married Katura ______, who died May 23, 1853, aged 93 years. Their children were:

Sally, who married John E. Kent of Smithfield;


Calvin, who married Miss Almira, daughter of Conrad Hartman, and settled in Smithfield;

Luther went West;

Beckie married a Mr. Dalton of Wysox;

Catharine married Harvey Havens of Springfield;

Neoma married first Mark Lyon, second Frederick Schrader.

Stephen Cranmer, born October 6, 1756, came from New Jersey to Monroe with his brother, John, 1791. He was a cripple and weaver by occupation. He died Jan. 29, 1792. His wife, Nancy, died Jan. 24, 1792, aged 26 years. They left three sons: Abraham, Dyer and Stephen.

Stephen, born August 25, 1791, became one of the heroic pioneers of Rome. He is remembered as a man of great integrity of purpose, a strong mind to do whatever he conceived to be right, a liberal supporter of any enterprise looking to the upbuilding of the good of society and the establishment of the same upon a religious basis.

Page 168

Mr. Cranmer married Miss Polly, daughter of Godfrey Vought of Rome. He died April 10, 1845, and his wife, March 27, 1868, aged 74 years and 8 months. Their children, who married as follows, were: Nancy E., to William Maynard; Amanda E., to Lemuel Maynard; Louisa M., first to David M. Wattles, second to Bela K. Adams; John M. was a soldier in both the Mexican and Civil War; Festus C., to Henrietta Spalding; Martha R., to M. Wells Warner.

Samuel Cranmer, born July 14, 1766 in New Jersey, started from his native state on horseback, unaccompanied, in the Spring of 1789, "to seek a home in the rich and unsettled country of the West." He was required to follow the foot-paths across the mountains, reaching the county by the way of Wilkes-Barre. Drifting into what is now Monroe, he found a family by the name of Platner. Proceeding up the creek, he examined the broad and fruitful flats between Masontown and Monroe village and concluded to settle thereon. Accordingly, he returned to Platner's, made arrangements for his board and at once began clearing away the thorn trees and other timbers that grew along the creek. Having put his fallow out to corn, he returned to New Jersey. In the Fall he returned and harvested his corn, and the following Spring moved in his family. He built a log house with a puncheon floor and cob-roof. Here alone in the wilds lived Mr. Cranmer and his family, with only the Platners for their neighbors. At the mouth of the creek were the Foxes, Bowmans and Meanses, who made up the entire circle of acquaintances in the wilderness. And though his surroundings were most gloomy, and hardships and inconveniences many, he was equal to the test of pioneer times. In 1791, his father and two brothers, with their families, joined his settlement. Mr. Cranmer was a man of great industry, endowed with a big heart and a devoted member of the Presbyterian church. He married first Hannah Miller; she, born June 6, 1768, died March 26, 1807. Their children were: Josiah, Elizabeth, Jedediah, John, Mary, Noadiah and Samuel.

Josiah, born April 2, 1788, married Electa, daughter of Jonathan Fowler, and settled in Asylum.

Elizabeth, born Aug. 3, 1790, married John Brown, died in Cortland county, N.Y.

Jedediah, born Sept. 9, 1795, worked at blacksmithing, died in Franklin township.

John, born Jan. 21, 1798, married Sally Steel, settled in Towanda township and had a large family.

Mary, born April 14, 1800, died, unmarried, with her half-brother, Ashbel.

Page 169

Noadiah, born Aug. 22, 1802, married Claracy Gould and lived in Monroe township.

Samuel, born Oct. 5, 1804, married Nancy Northrup and followed farming in Monroe.

Mr. Cranmer married for his second wife Miss Sarah Hubbell. He died May 17, 1845, and his wife, Sarah, born Feb. 15, 1769, died Aug. 22, 1854. They had two sons, Ashbel L. and Enoch H.

Ashbel L., born Jan. 6, 1809, married Miss Mary Griggs, engaged extensively in lumbering, farming and merchandising, and was very successful in business affairs; served a number of years as Justice of the Peace, and was County Commissioner from 1845-'48. He died April 8, 1896. Children: Albert G., Bernard A., Elma (Mrs. Elias T. Park), Wayland S. and Julia (Mrs. Hiram Sweet).

Enoch H., born Jan. 22, 1813, married Miss Pamelia Griggs, sister of Mrs. A. L. Cranmer, entered the M. E. Conference, 1838, and was for some years presiding elder of the Troy district; died October 7, 1880.