Vol. I - Clement F. Heverly -
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Page 190 (continued)
William Curry, who had served his country for American independence under Capt. Peter Bartholf in the regiment commanded by Col. John Hawthorn, New York state troops, removed in 1790 from Dutchess county, N. Y. and settled on "Queen Esther's Flats," the whole country then being a dense forest with a few remote, isolated families. Here he lived for a few years, then purchased from the state of Pennsylvania 240 acres of land farther south in Ulster township, known as the "Welles farm," and by unremitting industry and economy made a desirable home for himself and family. During the War of 1812, Mr. Curry and his eldest son, William, enlisted and both served with credit to themselves and country. In 1769, Mr. Curry had married Charity Lockwood, with whom he lived in perfect harmony for over 63 years. Unto them were born six sons and three daughters. Some of the sons settled in Tompkins county, N. Y., and two went to the far West to seek their fortunes. Mrs. Curry died October 12, 1832, aged 82 years, 9 months and 6 days, and her patriot husband died, 1844, aged 96 years. Their remains repose in the Milan cemetery. Of their sons:
John for some years occupied a farm of 116 acres in Smithfield, deeded him by his father.
Ezekiel settled just above the creek in Athens township. He married Clarissa Lamphere, who bore him three daughters: Fanny, who married Jabez Havens and lived in Binghamton; Harriet married Rev. H. M. Chase, a Christian minister, and lived on the farm occupied by her father, who was also a minister of the same denomination; Polly married William Smith and died on the homestead. Rev. Ezekiel Curry died October 26, 1867, aged 76 years, 4 months and 20 days, and his wife, April 29, 1835, aged 40 years, 8 months and 17 days.
Lockwood, another son, met a tragic death in 1801, which saddened
the hearts of the family and cast a pall of gloom and sadness upon the
little community. While hunting he was shot by a companion in mistake for
Henry Tuttle came to Wysox in or before 1790. He owned several lots in Claverack under Connecticut title, where the village of Wysox now stands. In 1792 he married Mary, daughter of Sebastian Strope. About 1809 he deserted his wife and family, going to Michigan. Mrs. Tuttle died November 16, 1851, in Wysox, aged 78 years. Their children, who married as follows, were:
Henry removed to Kingston, married Anna Shoemaker, died in Michigan, 1846.
Margaret married Joshua Lamphere and died in Wysox.
Hannah married Isaac W. Green and removed West.
Sally married Hezekiah Newell, Sheshequin.
Abigail died November 23, 1861 in Wysox, unmarried, aged 56 years.
John married Mrs. Ellen Brown, Wysox.
Ebenezer Tuttle, probably a brother of Henry, came to
Wysox soon after the latter. Whether he was a son of Ebenezer or had a
son Ebenezer, we are not informed. However, there were two Ebenezer Tuttles
in Wysox. In 1812 Ebenezer Tuttle conveyed his title to a property in Myersburg
to William Keeler. In 1818 Ebenezer Tuttle and wife, Lucy, deeded a portion
of the Moger tract along the Susquehanna river, including a ferry, for
a consideration of $1,350, to John Wragg. On one of the tombstones in the
Wysox cemetery may be read this inscription: "Elizabeth, wife of Ebenezer
Tuttle, died April 24, 1813, aged 42 years." November 10, 1820, letters
of administration were granted to Ebenezer Tuttle and William Keeler on
the estate of Ebenezer Tuttle, late of Wysox.
Cherick and Leonard Westbrook, brothers, were settlers under the Susquehanna Company in or before 1790, first in Standing Stone and next in Ulster. They were sons of Abraham and Blondens Westbrook, whose other children were: Derrick, James, Jennie, Sarah, Peggy, Keziah and Phoebe. The brothers were noted for their size and strength. During the Revolutionary war Cherick and Leonard served in Capt. John Franklin's Wyoming Company (1782), Fifth regiment, Connecticut Militia. After living in Ulster some years, Leonard removed to other parts. In 1813 Cherick returned to Standing Stone, where he continued to reside until the time of his death, 1819, being killed by the fall of a tree while chopping. He had children: Martin, Henry, William, Isaac, Peggy and Azubah.
Martin removed West.
Henry married Ruth Allen, lived and died on the homestead, Standing Stone.
William married Mahala Dunn and occupied a portion of the homestead.
Isaac married Deborah Smith, died in Durrell.
Peggy married Henry Hibbard and lived in Albany township.
Azubah married John Allen of Wysox.
Rachel, widow of Cherick Westbrook, was subsequently three times married.
Her second husband being Mr. Lyons, third Mr. Richards and fourth Mr. Parks.
She died at the age of 90 years, having outlived all her husbands.
Dr. Stephen Hopkins, the first resident physician at Tioga Point, a son of William Hopkins (a soldier of the Revolution), was born September 3, 1766 at Roxbury, Morris county, N.J. He studied medicine with Dr. Stephen White and had practiced some years before coming to Athens, 1790. His practice speedily became extensive, and he was frequently called as far as Wilkes-Barre to the south and Palmyra to the north. His journal records him as present at 2,500 births. For a quarter of a century he was the only dependent physician at the Point. He willingly traveled night and day on horseback over rough paths to minister to his patients, and was wonderfully successful. "Dr. Hopkins was short and stout, with blue eyes and a ready smile and pleasant word for all. His hospitality was far-famed and unsurpassed. In his younger years he wore a ruffled shirt, wig and knee buckles." He was also a merchant and inn-keeper. He was the first Senior Warden of Rural Amity Lodge, associated with the Academy, the Presbyterian church and filled various public offices. He died without previous illness, March 29, 1841. Dr. Hopkins married, April 3, 1788, Jemima, daughter of Colonel Ebenezer Lindsley of Morris county, N.J. She was born June 28, 1772, died August 16, 1830. Their children were:
Minerva, born June 15, 1789, married, November 30, 1805, Walter Herrick; died November 21, 1861 at Flemingville, N. Y.
Celestia, born March 26, 1792, married, November 5, 1810, Edward Herrick; died August 28, 1830 in Athens.
Eliza, born October 7, 1794, married, June 25, 1812, Dr. Thomas T. Huston; died July 17, 1856 in Athens.
Charles Lindsley, born November 18, 1796, married, December 31, 1817, Amanda, daughter of John Shepard; died March 31, 1873.
Phoebe Maria, born January 27, 1798, married, October 18, 1825,
Rev. James Williamson; died December 6, 1844 at Milton, Pa.
Uzziel (Usual) Carter, a warm friend and former neighbor of Samuel Cranmer in New Jersey, followed the latter to Monroe, 1790. For seven years they labored together in common in their struggle for a livelihood in the wilderness. "Mr. Carter, a thick-set, heavy man, a regular pioneer, hardy and healthy, had a large family of sons and daughters that were all full of frontier enterprise and fun." In 1817 he sold his property and removed West. The children of Uzziel Carter were Aaron, Moses, David, Enoch and Susannah (Mrs. Thomas Cox).
Moses remained in Monroe. He married Mrs. Irene (Alger) Brown, who after Mr. Carter's
death (1834), married Peter Johnson of Rome. Moses left two sons, Chester
Theophilus Moger came from Massachusetts to Wysox, 1790 and purchased the Jesse Allen farm above York's narrows, including the lands east of Wysox creek in the valley, and up the creek as far as Ralph Martin's. Soon after coming he built a large 1 1/2 story frame house in which he lived until the time of his death, 1811. He had the following children:
Joshua, who married Jemima Hinman, built a hewed-log house and distillery near the river. Some years after his father's death he sold his interest and removed West.
Nathaniel married Alice Coolbaugh; died in Wysox about 1803, leaving besides his widow, children, Nathaniel and William.
William married Abigail Russell; died, 1825, in Wysox, leaving a daughter, Elsie Maria.
Elizabeth married Nicholas Brink.
Polly married Cyp Grant, Orwell.
Sally married Peter Johnson, Wysox.
Adam Mann came to Wysox, 1790. He owned the farm now occupied
by John C. Piollet. He died on the place, and his daughter, Nancy Mann,
sold to Nathaniel Moger and removed to Arkport, N. Y.
Daniel Holley (Holly, Hawley) came to Standing Stone about 1790, settling on the Achatias Stevens place. Here he died between 1799 and 1804, his widow surviving him and occupying the place many years. Mrs. Holly was originally Sarah Westbrook, sister of Cherrick. She was at Wyoming at the time of the battle, and on Jacob's plains at the time of the ice flood, 1784. She died, 1838 at an advanced age. The children of Daniel and Sarah Holley were:
Daniel married Rachel Dutcher and had a considerable family. He froze to death while returning home in the night.
Richard married a Miss Coats and had a couple of children. He became blind and died at the home of Asa Stevens.
James married Anna Vought and died on the homestead, 1840. In his will he provided for his sons, Alonzo, James, Leonard, Lester, and daughters, Jane Cole, Sally Hickok, Catharine, Nancy and Adeline Holley. His widow married Shepard Patrick and removed West with her family.
John married a Miss Freeman and died in Standing Stone, leaving a couple of children.
Elizabeth married John Dyer, Wysox.
Diana died unmarried on the homestead.
James Quick, who was of Dutch extraction and had served in the Northampton County Rangers (Militia) against the Indians and Tories during the Revolutionary war, came from near Milford in the Minisink country to Wilmot, 1790, settling in Quick's Bend. He was the first permanent settler there, although Philip Painter had been on the ground and made some improvements before the Revolutionary war. Mr. Quick held a large tract, made many improvements and died thereon, June 22, 1847, aged 94 years and 22 days. He was born January 5, 1753 at Milford, Pa. He married Hannah Pelton, who was born May, 1756, died December 26, 1831. Their children and marriages were:
Hannah married Isaac Sutton.
John M., who was a soldier in the War of 1812, married Sally Preston.
Paul married, June 3, 1799, Mary C., daughter of Daniel Miller of Albany.
Cornelius, 1st married Urania Beeman, 2nd married _____ Haxes, 3rd to Eunice Purden;
Eunice married Erastus Catlin.
Polly married ______ Carney.
Jane married John Bates.
Christopher Schoonover, also a "Dutchman" and from the
same neighborhood as James Quick, came to Wilmot, 1790, settling in the
Bend along the river. He had two sons, Joseph and Solomon, and two daughters.
After a few years he sold his possession to Cornelius Quick and moved to
Litchfield, being one of the first settlers there. Again selling, he removed
to Ohio, where he died.
Anthony Vanderpool, who led a rather romantic life, was a member of the family of New York Vanderpools, who had come from Holland and settled in the Mohawk Valley, west of Albany. He was born at Kinderhook in 1748. During the Revolutionary war he served a year in the regiment commanded by Colonel Wynkoop of the New York troops. Mr. Vanderpool had married Elizabeth Johnson, a woman with Oneida blood. This move was decidedly distasteful to the haughty and somewhat aristocratic Dutch family, and Anthony was accordingly cast off. He became a wanderer and finally drifted into Bradford county about 1790. He located on Durrell creek, thence moved into French settlement and engaged in the employ of that colony.
After this he lived at different places in Monroe and Asylum and died,
1839. He was buried in the old Ellis Hill cemetery. Mr. Vanderpool is described
as a man well-built, about six feet tall with all the characteristics of
a Dutchman and some of the Indian, resulting from association. He was known
as "King Pool" and was a man of no particular faults. His children were
William, Anthony, Richard, Mary, Peter, Samuel, Lovina, Abraham, Henry
and Eleanor. William lived to be a centenarian and all the others to advanced
years. The illustration is of Richard ("Derrick") Vanderpool, the picture
being taken when he was 103 years old. He was a son of William and Polly
(Johnson) Vanderpool, and was born April 11, 1799, at Frenchtown. He was
a small, wiry man; at his best, being under five feet and weighing less
than 140 pounds. His features were strongly of the Indian. When a hundred
years old, he made trips on foot from Burlington to Towanda, a distance
of 12 miles. He was twice married and the father of 21 children. His death
occurred April 12, 1904, one day after he had celebrated his 105th birthday.
Isaac Wheeler, a brother-in-law of Anthony Vanderpool, came with him from Kinderhook to Asylum, 1790. During the Revolutionary war he had served 4 1/2 years as a drummer in the regiment, commanded by Col. Goose Van Schaick. He was an intelligent, hard-working mechanic, but was unfortunately addicted to strong drink and never accumulated property. In his little shop he manufactured spinning wheels, chairs and other furniture. He was given a pension for his services in the American army. In 1822, Mr. Wheeler moved with his family to Indiana, where he died. His wife was Eleanor Johnson, sister of Mrs. Anthony Vanderpool. Their children were Mary (Mrs. Abraham Vanderpool), Kate, Peggy, Margaret, Nicholas, Samuel, Betsy and Richard.
Silas Bardwell, who had served three years in the struggle
for Independence, came to Wysox about 1790, settling on a strip of land
adjoining that of John Hinman and extending to the river. He was a son
of Lieutenant Perez Bardwell (also lived in Wysox a few years) and was
born, 1764, at Hatfield, Mass. Soon after the war he removed with his father's
family to Ontario county, N.Y., where he remained until coming to Wysox.
He had married Lavina Abbott. In 1811 during an epidemic of smallpox he
was stricken and died, and three days later his wife passed away of the
same disease. They left eight children, six sons and two daughters. The
eldest son, Solomon, enlisted in the War of 1812, served under Commodore
Perry and was on his flagship at the time of his notable victory on Lake
Erie. The next younger brother also served under Perry. Daniel Abbott,
born October 17, 1799, settled in Tunkhannock, where he died August 24,
1883. Lydia, born May 26, 1801, married, March 12, 1823, Seth Doane
of Windham. Silas, born 1807, removed to other parts. Samuel,
born 1809, married Betsy, daughter of William Elliott of Rome. The other
children settled in the West. Upon the death of their parents the house
and whatever it contained, including the children's clothing, were destroyed
as a safe-guard against contagion. The patriot father and wife were buried
on the place a few rods from their home.
Charles and Richard Townley came to Asylum
in or before 1790. They sold their improvements to the French, 1794, and
removed to Tompkins county, N.Y. Richard became a man of prominence, was
elected a judge of the county courts and served several terms in the state
Matthias Fencelor, a German, came from Philadelphia to Cold Creek before 1789 and removed to Wysox about 1790. He was known as "the hermit," and subsisted chiefly by hunting and trapping. He made no clearing, living alone in a little log house at Myersburg on the George Conklin farm. Flax hatchels, which he wrought, were packed upon his back and peddled throughout the settlement. His dress was as peculiar, as were his manners, and consisted of buckskin breeches, coming half way between his knees and ankles, buckskin jacket, coarse cap and moccasins. He was found dead in his cabin, winter of 1806, and was buried nearby, an apple tree since having grown over his grave. This strange man had passed 70 summers and of him many enticing tales are recounted. In a very interesting romance, the "Hermit of Wysauking," written by Mrs. Loud, she gives his name as "Wilhelm Hernzlaer."
Johnson Family was one of the earliest in Wysox but of whom we have very little information. Being related to the Franklins and Hinmans, they probably came with or soon after them. In an old family Bible we find this record: John Johnson, born March 28, 1719, married, June 24, 1741, Mary Judd, born December 20, 1723; children: Solomon, born February 21, 1743; Esther, born January 14, 1746; Jerusha, born August 31, 1748, married Serwignon Lewis; Emma, born December 31, 1750, married Jehial Franklin; Mary, born December 19, 1753, married Eleaz Finney; Jehu, born November 17, 1757, married Love Down.
John Johnson, born December 6, 1755, married Anna Hinman, died June 6, 1819. Their children were:
Hannah, born June 26, 1780, married William Coolbaugh, died September 29, 1859 in Macedonia.
Mary Ann, born December 30, 1785, married Joseph Lent, died August 5, 1855 in Sheshequin.
Polly Ann, born November 2, 1789, married Nathaniel Hickok, Jr., died May 13, 1830.
Both John Johnson and his wife died in Wysox and are believed to have been buried in the old grounds on Franklin plains.
Tallady (Tallidy) Family--Henry Tallady was one of the
early comers to Wysox. He settled above Myersburg on the west side of the
creek. In 1790 his family consisted of three males and five females. John
Tallady lived in the same neighborhood. The names of both appear on the
assessment rolls, 1796. In the assessment, 1799, the name of Solomon Tallady
only is given; in 1804, Abraham and Solomon, and in 1812 the name of Henry
Tallady again appears. Polly and Althea, daughters of Henry Tallady, married
respectively, John and James Northrup of Monroe. Solomon Tallady, who was
noted for his athletic powers, settled in Monroe township.
William Daugherty, an Irishman, came from Northumberland county in or before 1790, locating near the mouth of Towanda creek. He built a saw mill, which he operated for a time, on the Hale place. About 1800 he established himself at Greenwood and opened a house of entertainment. His inn was a log building and was widely known as "Dorety's Tavern." He also built a saw mill on the Schrader and did a prosperous business. Of his children remembered were: Samuel, Margaret, James, Susanna, Mattie and William. After some years Mr. Daugherty sold his property and removed West with his family.
James M. Daugherty, a brother of William, some years later, followed him to Towanda. He lived on the run above the mansion on the Jennings farm, and both he and his wife died there in 1822.
He had been twice married before coming to Bradford county. The children
by the former marriage were George, Sarah (Mrs. Daniel Bowman) and Susan
(Mrs. William Vandyke). The children from the second marriage were Eliza
(Mrs. Haxton) and Anna (never married).
Casper Singer of Philadelphia, who owned several tracts
of land on Towanda creek in Claverack, came thereto in 1790. He built a
house and made numerous improvements, returning after a few years to Philadelphia,
where he died about 1800.
James Lewis, who was reared near Sunbury, when 12 years old was captured by the Indians, taken to Canada and held three years before being released. After returning home he became a millwright and in 1790 found his way into Bradford county. He first located in Wysox where in company with John Hinman he built (1792) a grist-mill on the Little Wysox, afterwards widely known as Hinman's mills. In 1793 he sold his interest to Mr. Hinman and moved to Towanda. He constructed a double saw-mill at Hale's on Towanda creek, and "May 9, 1798 for a consideration of 125 pounds Pennsylvania currency sells a one-fourth interest in a saw-mill and 300 acres of land, 'between Jacob Grantier's and Jacob Bowman's' to Stephen Strickland, his wife, Mary, joining with him in executing the deed." Mr. Lewis afterwards located near the mouth of the Schrader where he died, August 15, 1822, aged 52 years and was buried at Cole's. James Lewis married, June 3, 1794 at Wysox, Miss Polly Jones. Their children were William, Timothy, Harrison, Benjamin, Samuel, Cynthia and Celinda. Only two of his children, Timothy H. and Benjamin, remained in the county.
Timothy H. lived at Greenwood the greater part of his life and
kept a hotel, which was swept away by the great flood of 1850. He also
engaged in farming, lumbering and merchandising. He married Lucy ____ and
had three sons, James W., Dr. William S. and Benjamin L. and four daughters.
William Ovenshire and his wife, Nancy Speed, natives of
England, came from Philadelphia to Sheshequin about 1788. In 1790 the family
consisted of four males and four females. Mr. Ovenshire died between 1792
and '96. One of the daughters was Polly and one of the sons, Samuel.
The latter was born April 27, 1791 in Sheshequin. In 1817 he married Sarah,
daughter of Stephen Bidlack, and settled in Athens next to Col. John Franklin,
where he died, 1869. They had a family of six children, three of the sons
being Edwin R., John F. and Samuel, Jr.
Zachariah Price came to the Merryall settlement, 1790, remaining till 1796, when he sold and removed to Wysox. He owned and occupied the Owen's place where he had a distillery. In 1819 he removed to Bridgewater, Susquehanna county, where he exchanged properties with Stephen Wilson.
Mr. Price was one of the leading members of the old Wysox church, being
ruling elder and moderator. He had two sons, Elizer and Demmon, and four
Other Settlers, for longer or shorter periods, who were
in Bradford county, 1790, and enumerated in the first census, follow:
|Jonathan Croswell||Sheshequin ?||----||----||6|
|James Culbertson||Sheshequin ?||1||1||2|
|Peter Grubb||Sheshequin ?||3||----||3|
|Elisha Hubbard||Wysox ?||4||4||8|
|Isaac Parker||Ulster ?||2||1||3|
|Robert Patterson||Athens ?||4||3||7|
|Ephraim Sanford||Sheshequin ?||7||4||11|
|David Smith||Sheshequin ?||5||4||9|
Notes on Foregoing and Others
Judah Benjamin was for many years the pioneer shoemaker of Wyalusing.
Nathan Kingsley, November 20, 1789, conveys to Thomas Grant of Springfield, a lot of land in Springfield.
Hugh McCully of Tioga, March 3, 1790, conveys land to Gideon Salsbury of Tioga.
Ephraim Garrison was a physician, being the first to locate in Sheshequin, where he practiced for a time.
Garrett Shoemaker owned and occupied a strip of land in Wysox, running to the river, adjoining Silas Bardwell on the north.
Wareham Kingsley, January 12, 1789, conveys land in Springfield to Thomas Lewis, William Sherman Buck and Jared Turrell.
John Hutchinson was the original brick-maker for the Ulster-Sheshequin locality, where he had a brick-yard.
William Lochry settled above the Ulster narrows. In 1798 he sold a portion of his land to Joseph Lochry. The Lochrys sold, 1801, to Stephen Powell and soon after removed to other parts.
Benjamin and Stephen Skiff, August 30, 1787, convey to Isaac Benjamin a lot of land lying on both sides of Wyalusing creek. September 14, 1789, Isaac and Abigail Benjamin convey to Jonas Ingham.
Thomas Gibson lived some years in the Myersburg neighborhood. He was afterwards one of the pioneers of Warren. He had a son, Stephen. His wife, Sarah, was one of the first members of the original Wysox church.
Elijah Townsend was evidently the father or brother of Hezekiah Townsend, who married Hannah, daughter of Jeremiah Shaw, and had a son, Elijah, who settled in Rome township. The first Elijah sold to John Hinman, 1793, and removed to other parts.
Asa Flint came from Exter, Pa., and settled at Merryall, 1790. He sold
to Elijah Camp and moved to Central New York about 1807. He was a brother-in-law
of Jeremiah Lewis, both of whom had married sisters of Thomas Gardner,
Thomas and Francis Gardner, brothers, lived at Merryall for a time, afterwards
removing to New York state.
Richard Goff, a native of New England, came to Towanda creek, settling on the south side on the line between Towanda and Monroe, 1791. He improved a considerable farm and died thereon, May 19, 1829, aged 84 years. He had married Phoebe Hubbell, sister of Mrs. Samuel Cranmer. She died December 29, 1836, aged 72 years. Their children were: William, Humphrey, James, Amos, Sarah and David.
William married Delia, daughter of Rudolph Fox. He died December 12, 1877 in Canton township, aged about 88 years. Their children were: Christiana (Mrs. Samuel Dimmock), William, Harry, ------ (Mrs. Eli Grantier), Hiram, Wellington W. and George.
Humphrey married Eunice, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox of Albany and spent his last days in Monroe township. The children of Humphrey Goff, who married as follows, were: Gordon lived at Bloomsburg, Pa.; Desire to John Braund, Asylum; Harriet to George Stein, Monroe; Phoebe never married; Wells, 1st to Mary Ann Shiner, 2nd Margaret Heverly.
Amos married Margaret, daughter of Rudolph Fox, and moved to Ohio.
Sarah married a Mr. Reed and went to Illinois with her husband.
William, Humphrey and Amos Goff were drafted at the close of the War
of 1812, returning home after a month's absence.
Joseph Smith, a brother of Lockwood, located in Ulster,
1791. He was also a soldier of the Revolutionary war and one of the original
Baptists in the county. He settled on what is known as the Anthony farm,
now owned by Hon. R. S. Edmiston. At the house of Joseph Smith was formed
the present Smithfield Baptist church in 1810, and also what is now the
Waverly church in 1824. He died, 1834, aged 87 years, and is buried in
the Milan cemetery. But little is known of his family. A son, Horace, was
accidentally shot while watching a deer lick. Another son, Joseph, resided
in Ulster and Sheshequin until the time of his death.
Abraham Parmeter, a native of Boston, who had served in
the Revolutionary war, participating in the battles of Stillwater and Saratoga,
came to Ulster, 1791. Here he married Patience Mills and continued to reside
until 1813, when he removed with his family to Ohio.
James Campbell, a native of Blandford, Mass., who had been a soldier in the Revolutionary war, removed from Massachusetts with his family, 1791, and settled in the wilderness on Sugar Creek in Burlington.
He had married Jane Knox, their children being John, James, David, Cephas, William, Eleanor, Rachel, Cynthia, Jane, Betsy and Sally. John, James and David were soldiers in the struggle for Independence. Mr. Campbell died upon his farm, December 28, 1813, in his 75th year. Notice of his death says, "He was the father of 5 sons, 6 daughters, 6 sons-in-law, 93 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren, making in all 137. He was a member of the Methodist society and was much respected for his virtues." He was of Scotch descent. The farm he settled is still owned and occupied by his descendants. His wife, born February 3, 1744, died October 16, 1840. Both are buried in the family plot upon the homestead. Of the children:
John and James removed early to Indiana and died there.
David, born at Blandford, Mass., enlisted January 1, 1782, and served until December, 1783, as a private under Captain Pearsey and Col. Marinus Willet. He obtained a pension upon the ground that in the expedition to Oswego one of his feet was frozen, causing permanent lameness. He died in Burlington, December 15, 1848, aged 83 years, leaving children: Harry, James, David, Hannah (1st Mrs. Isaac Ayers, 2nd Mrs. Jesse Beals), Almira (Mrs. Isaac Marcellus), Almenia (Mrs. Clark).
Cephas, born March 29, 1777, married first Sarah, daughter of Chester Bingham of Ulster; she died, 1821, in her 35th year; married second Ellen Miller, born January 28, 1788, died January 29, 1875. Mr. Campbell died March 5, 1857 in Burlington.
Children: Josephus, who married Asenath Miller; James married Anna Robbins; Chester married Mary Ann Pratt; Owen married 1st Celinda Foster, 2nd Almira York. Letitia married Orry Burns.
William, born August 10, 1779, married Polly Miller, settled on Tom Jack Creek, West Burlington, where he died, 1854. His wife, born March 14, 1788, died March 16, 1847. Children: Alanson, George Washington, William, Lucy, Derrick, Leticia, Lenora.
Eleanor married Gamaliel Jaqua, Burlington.
Rachel married Stephen Wilcox, North Towanda.
Cynthia married John T. Clark, Burlington.
Jane married George Head, Burlington.
Betsy married 1st Oliver Sherman, 2nd Stephen Smith.
Sally married Jeremiah Miller, Burlington.
DeWitts--In May, 1790, Abraham DeWitt, Isaac DeWitt and James McKean (aged 20) came from "Johnny-Cake-Hollow," Chemung county, N.Y., to the upper Sugar Creek valley on an exploring expedition.
Each selected a claim in the present West Burlington. A log cabin was erected, a clearing made and a patch of corn planted. After harvesting the crop, all returned to Chemung. The following Spring, five families, including these three pioneers, came from the Chemung and established the first settlement in the Burlingtons. Isaac DeWitt left the neighborhood after five years. Abraham was still a resident of Burlington in 1813. William DeWitt also came to Sugar Creek in 1793 and remained until after 1804. Jacob DeWitt and Paul DeWitt followed in 1795, the former departing after a year and the latter remaining permanently. The DeWitts were of Dutch extraction and evidently of the same family.
Paul DeWitt was born, 1763, near the mouth of the Juniata river in Pennsylvania. He was a soldier of the Revolution and made the following declaration: "That he joined the army as a volunteer at Fort Horn, on the West Branch of the Susquehanna river in Northumberland county, in the Spring of 1778; that he first belonged to a company commanded by Captain Long, afterwards being transferred to another fort further down the river, serving in a company commanded by Captain Hamilton; that after remaining about a month at the last mentioned fort, he, with his company, was forced to retreat to Northumberland, at the junction of the North and West Branches of the Susquehanna, where the company to which he belonged was attached to a regiment commanded by Colonel Hartley; that he remained at or about Northumberland until the close of the war, repelling the attacks of Indians and guarding the town, fort, etc.; that he was in no general battle, but was in frequent skirmishes with the Indians at Fort Horn and other places in the valley of the West Branch; that he was constantly in the service of the United States for more than four years, and that Hartley's regiment belonged to that corps of the army commanded by General Sullivan." Mr. DeWitt married, December, 1792, Elizabeth Sly, settled, 1795, in West Burlington, where he died, 1840.
Their children were:
Polly (Mary) married Stephen Strickland, Wysox.
George married and lived in Burlington.
James married and lived in Burlington.
Isaac married and lived in Burlington.
Betsy married Ezra Goddard, Burlington.
Hannah married Mark C. Arnout, Towanda.
Susannah married Sylvester Taylor, Granville.
Julia Ann married Horatio Gamage, Burlington.
Minerva married William Evans, Burlington.
Morgan married and lived in Burlington.
Lyman married and lived in Burlington.
Lutilda died, 1849, unmarried.
McKean Family--The name McKean is of Scotch origin and was originally Mackian. The Mackians were the chiefs of the Macdonalds of Glencoe for more than 400 years. John McKean emigrated to America in 1740 and settled in Cecil county, Maryland.
James McKean, son of John McKean, was born, 1745, in Cecil county, Md. He married Jane Scott, a native of Scotland, and about 1772 removed to Huntingdon, Pa. During the Revolutionary war he served as a member of the 8th Battalion, Cumberland county Militia. In 1789 he came to Chemung, N.Y., and two years later (1791) moved with his family into the wilderness, in what is now the township of West Burlington. Here he died in 1797. His wife, who was a very devout Christian and the "Mother of Methodism in the Sugar Creek Valley" followed him to the grave, 1813. Unto James and Jane McKean were born: Allen, William, James, Rebecca, Andrew, John, Robert, Samuel, Benjamin and Jane.
Allen was a young man of brilliant parts. He went to the Lake country and never returned.
William settled in Center county, Pa., and married there. He had children: Lewis, John, Thomas, Samuel, William, Dobbins, Rebecca, Jane, Sarah and Mary.
James settled on a farm in West Burlington, and was killed, 1822, by the fall of a tree while helping at a chopping bee. He married Esther Beach. Their children, who married as follows, were: Jehial, 1st to Betsy Ballard, 2nd to Maryette Norman, 3rd to Widow Williams; William, to Rowena Titus; James married and lived in the West; Timothy went to Texas when a young man; John married Electa Moore, lived in Troy; Jesse married Mary Vandyke of Canton; Rebecca married 1st a Mr. Rumsey, 2nd a Mr. Green; Amanda married William Boise, Troy; Esther married in the West and died there. The widow of James McKean married Elisha Fanning of Springfield, by whom she had two children, Amos and Luther.
Rebecca married John Dobbins of Troy and was the mother of a large family.
Andrew was a Methodist preacher for 40 years. He married and both he and his wife died at their home near Saratoga, N.Y., the former at the age of 90 years. His children were: James, Samuel, Ruth and Julia. James settled in the West, was a colonel in the Union army, member of congress and judge; died in Utah. Samuel became a Methodist preacher; Ruth married a clergyman; Julia died unmarried.
(Portrait of Gen. Samuel McKean)
John was an Associate Judge of Bradford county for 28 years and a local Methodist preacher. He died at Burlington, 1855, in his 75th year. He married Polly Minier of Ulster and had 10 children: Andrew, Elias, Scott, Daniel, Sally and Jane removed to Stillwater, Minn.; Madison also settled in the West; Hiram and Samuel located at Painted Post, N.Y., and Harrison lived at Lawrenceville, Pa. Only Elias and Harrison ever married.
Robert married Martha, daughter of Noah Wilson, lived and died in Burlington. Their children, who married as follows, were: Col. Allen, long a political host and 12 years prothonotary of the county, to Eliza A. Merry; Thomas to Sarah Gray; Noah W. to Margaret McCloskey; Lemira to John Lilley; Andrew J., first to Abiah Day, 2nd to Phoebe Bailey; James S. to Sarah Blackwell; Robert died unmarried; Jane to Edward Kemp.
Samuel, born April 7, 1787, was the most noted man in the early political history of Bradford county. He was early a merchant at Burlington; county commissioner, 1814; State Representative, 1815, '16, '17 and '18; elected to congress, 1822, '24 and '26; State Senator, 1829; Secretary of Commonwealth under Governor Wolf; chosen United States Senator, 1833, for a term of six years; major-general of Militia; died December 14, 1841, at Burlington, where he is buried. His biographer says: "General McKean was the most distinguished and extraordinary man that Northern Pennsylvania has produced. We may add, that for sagacity, boldness of enterprise, untiring industry, fidelity to friends, quick and correct judgment of men and of the operations of the human mind, and for all those mental characteristics, which pre-eminently distinguish some men above their fellow men--some ages will probably pass before Northern Pennsylvania will produce his equal." General McKean married Julia McDowell, who survived him many years. Their children were: Addison, Findlay, Samuel, Ruth, Jane and Julia Ann. Addison for many years engaged in the mercantile and hotel business at Burlington. He was elected prothonotary, 1845, and State Representative, 1851. Findlay occupied the homestead and followed farming and stock raising. Samuel was a justice of the peace some years; chief of police of Williamsport; died in Granville Center. Ruth married Holden Taylor, died in Williamsport. Jane married Thomas Blackwell and died near her old home. Julia Ann married Lorenzo Dow Taylor, brother of Holden, died in Wellsboro, Pa.
Benjamin settled in Columbia township, and was elected the 6th sheriff of Bradford county. He married first Lucy Calkins and had children: James C., Lauraet and Charles S. His second wife was Elizabeth Matthewson, who bore him Henry B. and Helen E. For his third wife he married Laura LeBarron, widow of Dr. LeBarron, who was a daughter of Nathaniel Allen, Troy. They had one child, Alma. The children married as follows: James C. to Nancy Brace, Springfield; Charles S. to Hannah Budd, Columbia; Col. Henry B., 1st to Mary E. Cox, 2nd to a Washington widow; Helen E. to Dudley Long, Troy; Alma to Hezekiah Lament.
Jane married John Calkins and died in Columbia township; children,
Benjamin and Newberry.
John Hinman, born February 5, 1748 at Stratford, Conn., in 1791 emigrated from Woodbury to Wysox, bringing with him his wife and two sons. He made the journey with a yoke of oxen, which the little boys rode. He purchased a large tract of land on the Little Wysox, where in company with James Lewis he built (1792) one of the first grist-mills in Northern Pennsylvania. To this was added a saw-mill, and for some years, "Hinman's Mills" were widely patronized. Mr. Hinman continued the improvement of his property till 1833, when he made a trip on horseback to visit his daughter at Mt. Morris, N.Y., where he died very suddenly, May 27, and is buried. He had married Hannah Mallory, who was born May 15, 1751 and died March 16, 1806. Their children were: Lorena (Mrs. Curtis), Sally (Mrs. Hart), Eunice (Mrs. Tallmadge, subsequently Mrs. Salmon King), Martha (Mrs. Luman Stanley), Jemima (Mrs. Joshua Moger), James H., Walker M., John B., Charlotte (Mrs. Sheffield Wilcox), Harriet (Mrs. Amos York) and Abner C.
John Burrows, born November 7, 1780, came to the new country with his parents. July 4, 1804 he married Miss Desire, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox, and joined the Wilcoxes in making the settlement of Albany. After a few years he located permanently in Monroe, where he died, April 7, 1844. Their children were: Minerva M., born July 21, 1805, married Eldad C. Camp and died in the West; Abner Curtis, born April 11, 1807, settled in Indiana; Eunice E., born April 24, 1809, married Edward F. Young and died January 11, 1886 at Monroeton; Stanley Sheffield, born June 18, 1811, married Weltha Langdon, was a successful and enterprising man of Monroeton, died May 22, 1881; Celestia R., born September 26, 1813, married John Hanson and died at Monroeton; John Burrows Mallory, born February 21, 1816, married Frances M. Dudley, was a prominent business man of Monroeton and a justice of the peace 30 years, died July 22, 1885; Harriet J., born June 29, 1818, married Dr. Emerson Shattuck of Hornellsville, N.Y.; Lorena C., born March 13, 1823, married Joseph B. Smith of Monroe, died July 9, 1883; Catharine M., born October 16, 1825, married James H. Phinney, Towanda; Mary D., born September 14, 1828, married Dr. D. N. Newton, Towanda.
Abner C. occupied the homestead in Wysox. He became widely noted as the "uncompromising Abolitionist." He was the original and for some time the only Abolitionist in the township.
Strange to note, however, his seven sons all allied themselves with the Democratic party. Mr. Hinman married Augusta, daughter of Rev. M. M. York. He died April 13, 1860, aged 73 years, 3 months and 18 days, and his wife, February 9, 1881, in her 85th year. They had a bright and interesting family of ten children: Washington early joined the Western movement; Celinda married Joseph B. Ridgway, Wysox; William married and settled at Haverstraw, N.Y.; Malvina died unmarried in Wysox; Augusta married Evander R. Vaughan of Lime Hill and moved to Nebraska; Capt. Miner H. went to Nebraska after the Civil war; Abner C. followed blacksmithing, went West, enlisted in the Union army, was wounded and died on the Mississippi; James Y. married Helen Payne of Waverly and died in Wysox; John was a successful teacher and went West; Beach located in the West and became a successful lawyer.
James H. settled in New York state.
Walker M. married and lived at Mt. Morris, N.Y., being over 90
years old at his death.
Ezekiel Vargason (Vergeson, Verguson), said to have been from Connecticut, first stopped at Sheshequin, 1791, afterwards removing to Standing Stone, locating upon and making the first improvements on the farm of now Henderson Roof. He had married Sarah Jones of Welsh descent and had twelve children, all sons. Both he and his wife, Andrew and Jabez died upon the Roof farm and were buried there. The other sons, who grew up, were:
Daniel, who was a soldier of the Revolution, married and removed to Pine Creek, where he died.
Ezekiel settled in Terry township.
Amos went to the Lake country.
Isaac married Sarah, daughter of Samuel Shores, lived on Pond Hill, removing to Michigan. Their children were: John, Moses, Hiram, Albert, Israel, Hannah, Harriet, Nelson and Delos.
Rufus married Elsie Shoemaker of Kingston. He spent his days in Wysox, where he died at the age of 78 and his wife at 95 years. Their children were: Elijah, William, Benjamin, Joseph, Gilbert, James, Obadiah (died young), Robert, Claracy and Seth T., the last named, born August 4, 1816, who before dying January 14, 1913 in his 97th year, was the oldest surviving veteran of the Civil war from Bradford county.
David married and died in Standing Stone.
Solomon, noted as the man who never had any teeth, removed to Owego where he died.
Jesse lived in Southern Bradford.