The Hortons are of English origin, their ancestry dating back to Robert de Horton in the 13th century. Barnabus Horton, the first of the family to come to America, landed in Massachusetts about 1633. He removed to New Haven, Conn. and afterwards formed one of the company that crossed to the eastern end of Long Island and settled in the town of Southold, being one of the patentees of that place. Joseph, son of Barnabus, removed to Rye, Westchester county, N.Y. From him descended in successive generations, David, John and Richard. The last named was the father of Elijah, our subject.
Elijah Horton, son of Richard and Jemima (Wright) Horton, was born August 7, 1739 at Peekskill, N.Y. About 1762 he married Jemima Currie. Being desirous of giving his aid in the struggle for Independence, February 22, 1778, he enlisted as a private in Captain Fox's company of Henley's regiment, Continental troops, for a term of three years. He served until November 24, 1779, when he was "invalided." About 1780 he removed from Peekskill to Stroudsburg, Pa. and later to Middle Smithfield, Northampton county. From the latter place, 1791, he came to Sheshequin and settled near the river at Hornbrook. Here he continued to reside till the close of his life. In 1816 when he was 77 years of age, the following notice appeared in the Bradford Gazette: "There is now living in the township of Ulster, this county, Mr. Elijah Horton and Jemima, his wife, who have now living 12 children, 74 grandchildren, 23 great-grandchildren, amounting in all to 109. Mr. Horton and his wife are in good health. He takes care of his stock of horses, cattle, etc., breaks his own colts and cuts his wood. His wife performs the household business without necessity of assistance from younger persons; they, therefore, have no person in their family but themselves. The eldest of their children has living 9 children and 12 grandchildren; the other eleven of their children have all been married and had children." Both Mr. and Mrs. Horton were faithful members of the Baptist church. He died August 14, 1821; his wife, born July 6, 1744, died March 11, 1825. Their children were: Elizabeth, Richard, Elijah M., Jemima, Fanny, Isaac, Joshua, Esther, Phoebe, Gilbert, Stephen and William.
Elizabeth, born July 29, 1764, married Benjamin Brink, died January 31, 1830 in Sheshequin.
Richard, born 1766 at Peekskill, married Tabitha, daughter of Isaac and Anna (Latimer) Jayne. He removed with his family from Middle Smithfield, Pa. to Sheshequin, 1792, settling on the Towner place,
which he purchased of Arnold Franklin. Here, as early as 1808, he opened a house of public entertainment, the first in Lower Sheshequin, and continued as an innkeeper for a number of years. He died, 1834. His children, who married as follows, were: David, a man of much enterprise and member of Capt. E. Mason's company, War of 1812, to Hannah Newell; Isaac Jayne to Ruth N. Ferguson; Anna to Caleb Shores; Jemima to John Lyons; Tabitha to Nathaniel Shores; Betsy to George Vibbert; Diana to Stephen Shores; Richard to Eliza Shores; Josephine to Daniel Culver; Jane to Aaron Shores; Lorinda to Orrin Smith.
Elijah M., born June 9, 1768 at Peekskill, married, 1791, Pamela Ogden and the following year settled at Hornbrook. Their children, who married as follows, were: Isaac S., noted hunter, to Hannah Elliott; Charles, to Sally Brink; John to Margaret Rote; Lydia to Rev. David Blackman; Mary 1st to Smith Horton, 2nd to Rufus Cooley; Betsy to King Shores; Elijah to Elizabeth Ferguson; Jane Jemima to Joseph Elliott. Mrs. Horton died February 11, 1804, aged 40 years. Mr. Horton subsequently married Abigail Bullard. He died August 9, 1835 and his wife, Abigail, March 3, 1845, aged 65 years. Their children were: William B., who married 1st Melinda Blackman, 2nd Saloma J. Kilmer; Lucinda married John B. Smith.
Jemima, born April 22, 1770 at Peekskill, married, May, 1787, Eliphalet Gustin at Stroudsburg, Pa., was the mother of 12 children and died May 14, 1822 in Burlington township.
Fanny married Seeley Hayes, a school teacher, and removed to Illinois.
Isaac, born April 19, 1772 at Peekskill, came to Sheshequin with his father. He married 1st Sally, daughter of Jonas Smith, 2nd Laura Stephens of Athens. He died September 6, 1861, without issue, at Hornbrook.
Joshua, born October 7, 1774 at Peekskill, came to Sheshequin with his father. He married Lucy Thompson. Their children, who married as follows, were: Elsie to Abraham Dunham; Lucy to Lemuel Landrus; Sally to Francis Forbes; Joshua to Betsy Brink; William to Sally Shores; Richard T. to Rhoda Horton. Mrs. Horton died May 19, 1814 in her 34th year, and Mr. Horton subsequently married Lucinda Ellis. Their children were: Ithiel married Polly Brink; Lucinda to Ethan Tuttle; Esther to Jackson Blackman; Ulysses to Sally Elliott; Fanny to Elijah H. Blackman; Eleazer to Harriet Chaffee; Lewis to Sally M. Chaffee; Luman P. to Phoebe Horton; Nelson to Hannah Bullis. Mr. Horton died February 19, 1863 at Hornbrook.
Gilbert, born 1784 at Stroudsburg, came to Sheshequin with his father's family. He married Amy Beardsley. Their children were: Freeman, who died at 18; Clarissa married Leonard Shaw; Reuben married Polly Pierce; David went West. Mr. Horton removed West about 1850 and died there.
Stephen, born 1786 at Stroudsburg, came to Sheshequin with his father's family. He married Susan Mayhew and had children: Elijah H. married Mary Foster; Hiram to Hannah Hovey; Shepard to Harriet Acla; Mayhew to Elizabeth Lyons; Elizabeth to George Williams; Mary to Benjamin Lyons; Catharine to Hiram Goff; Anna to Rosin Fox. Both Mr. and Mrs. Horton died at North Towanda, the former November 23, 1863 and the latter, February 28, 1873, aged 85 years.
William, born May 14, 1789 at Stroudsburg, married, 1809, Esther Cowell of Wysox. Their children, who married as follows, were: Eliza to Joseph Tuttle; Delight to Albert Tuttle; Richard C. to Elizabeth Smith; Lucinda to Guy Smith; William to Polly M. Rundell; Esther J. to John Vought; Rachel A. to George Chaffee; Isaac J. to Jane Rogers; Lucy A. to Joseph F. Blackman. Mr. Horton died November 23, 1858; his wife, born January 19, 1789, died March 24, 1880.
Phoebe married 1st John Smith, 2nd Lemuel Landrus, with whom she moved West about 1825.
Esther married Timothy Stratton of North Towanda and removed to Ohio.
William Dobbins, an Irishman by birth, who had lived on the Juniata, came from Chemung to West Burlington, 1791, with the McKeans and DeWitts. He had married Mary A. McLean, a very devout woman, who with Mrs. McKean, "on the very evening of the arrival of the pioneers from Chemung on Sugar Creek, proposed and held a prayer-meeting and thanksgiving for the safety of the colony, and these two then and there covenanted together to erect the family altar at their own firesides, and at it worshiped daily, and they faithfully kept their covenants through life." Both Mr. and Mrs. McKean spent their remaining days on Sugar Creek. Their children were: Robert, Daniel, John, William, Eleanor, Jane, Susanna, Sally, Betsy and Polly.
Robert became a Methodist preacher and settled in Ohio.
Daniel went to Erie, and for many years was in command of an American revenue cutter. He commanded a vessel on the lake at the time of Perry's victory.
John married Rebecca, daughter of James McKean, and settled in Troy township. He was a man of prominence and for many years a justice of the peace. His children, who married as follows, were:
Jane to Elihu Newberry; Mary A. to Johnson Williams; Samantha to Churchill Barnes; William S., the 13th sheriff of Bradford county, 1st to Nancy Bothwell, 2nd to Sarah Widle; Andrew M.; Elizabeth to Joseph Hunt; Julia to Samuel McNitt; Daniel; Rebecca to Marvin Rockwell; Sarah to Norman Palmer.
William G. married Betsy Ballard.
Eleanor married Johnson Miller and moved West.
Jane married Ebenezer Kendall of Burlington.
Susanna married Nathaniel Ballard of Burlington.
Sally married Hon. Reuben Wilbur of Troy.
Betsy married Nathan Ballard of Burlington.
Mary (Polly) married 1st John Ballard, 2nd Jesse Woodruff, Towanda.
James Ward came as a Connecticut settler to Burlington, 1791, locating on Upper Sugar Creek. He was a man of much activity and enterprise. Upon the organization of the county, he was selected as foreman of the first grand jury. In 1816 he sold his interests and removed to other parts.
Derrick Miller came from Connecticut to East Burlington, 1791. In 1804, Derrick, David and Jacob Miller were on the Burlington assessment rolls; in 1813, Daniel, Derrick and Isaac Miller. There were several intermarriages between the Millers and Campbells.
Tomjack, a Mingo or Christian Indian, with his family occupied a cabin on the south side of Sugar Creek at Burlington, when the first white settlers arrived in that valley. He welcomed the pioneers to his home, shared his provisions and in every way proved their friend. Tomjack was born at Logan's Gap near the Juniata. When the white people began to settle there, he emigrated to the Susquehanna, just above Forty Fort. There he married Betty Montour, a three-quarter blood squaw. He was emphatically a "peace-man." When it was proposed by the Indians and Tories to massacre the white settlers in the Wyoming Valley, Tomjack refused to join in the war, and moved up the river, finally locating on Sugar Creek. Here he remained until 1794, when he removed to the Allegheny river, where he died, 1809. He was the last red man to inhabit Bradford county. His memory has been perpetuated by the name Tomjack Creek, near whose mouth he lived. There is no record extant of his children except of White Fawn, a girl, and Sun Down, a boy, whose tragic death is a matter of history. White Fawn was educated and became a teacher and missionary, and was instrumental in doing much good to her race in the Allegheny region, and in bringing about a reciprocity of good feeling between the Indians of that section and the whites.
(Portrait of Col. Franklin Blackman)
She never married, giving as a reason that the Great Spirit made her a mother of a nation rather than a mother of a family. She died in 1823, much lamented, and in 1836 a monument was erected to her memory by the Moravian Missionary Society, of which church she was a member as were her parents.
Ichabod Blackman, son of Elisha Blackman, was born, 1762, in Lebanon, Conn. In 1772, he removed with his father's family to Wilkes-Barre, and was in the skirmish at Exeter, July 1, 1778, together with his father and brother, Elisha. Following the battle of Wyoming, he with the other members of the family, fled through the wilderness to Stroudsburg, thence to Connecticut.
At the close of the war, he returned to Wilkes-Barre, and in 1786 married Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan Franklin. In 1791, he came to Sheshequin, settling the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson, George W. Blackman. He was a shoemaker by occupation, and frequently made a pair of shoes at night after a hard day's labor in the forest. In the month of April, 1798, Mr. Blackman was drowned near the mouth of Sugar Creek, while crossing the river in a canoe on a very dark night. The children of Ichabod and Elizabeth Blackman were: Franklin, Elisha and David S.
Franklin, born September 28, 1787, continued the improvements begun by his father, and occupied the farm till the close of his long and useful life. Blackman's ferry, so widely known and useful, was established by him in 1805. He took an active interest in military affairs, being commissioned from color-bearer to colonel, by which latter title he was generally known. He was an ardent Whig, and filled various local positions of honor and trust, among them being justice of the peace 15 years. Colonel Blackman enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all his neighbors and had a wide circle of admiring friends. He married Sibyl, daughter of David and Louisa Beardsley. Their children, who married as follows, were: Melinda C. to William B. Horton; Elizabeth F. to Arnold F. Ferguson; Celinda D. to Richard H. Fuller; Hiram L. to Caroline Ayer; Welthy Ann, born February 9, 1821, still (1912) a very bright and remarkable woman, to Russell S. Ayer; David J. to Esther Horton; Joseph F. to Lucy Ann Horton; Mary E. to William H. Shaw; George W., born February 19, 1831, the county's oldest Odd Fellow, distinguished and esteemed citizen, 1st to Ada M. Kinney, 2nd to Margaret E. Hillis. Colonel Franklin died August 14, 1880, aged nearly 93 years. His wife, born October 6, 1788, died December 12, 1864.
Elisha settled at Pittston, Pa., where he died at the age of 93 years.
David S. became a Methodist preacher of much power. He married Lydia, daughter of Elijah M. Horton. Their children were: Sterling, Bibbins, Franklin, Charles Ichabod, Elijah and David. Sterling, Bibbins, Elijah and Franklin settled at Rochelle, Ill.; Charles died in California; David went to the Mexican war, which was the last ever known of him. Mr. Blackman died September 5, 1838, aged 34 years. His widow subsequently married George Billings and removed to Illinois.
Mrs. Ichabod Blackman married for her second husband, Timothy
Winship, a Hartford merchant, who had purchased the Connecticut title of all the lands embraced in the present township of Herrick. She died June 9, 1809, aged 42 years.
William Ferguson, a brother-in-law of Ichabod Blackman, who had married Patience, daughter of Jonathan Franklin, came to Sheshequin, 1791, settling on the Theodore Smith place. He cleared a considerable part of the farm and died thereon, February 10, 1826, aged 64 years. His children were: William, a shoemaker, married Nancy Shores and removed West; Benjamin married and removed from the county; Stephen married a Miss Atwood of Wysox and went West; Arnold F. married Elizabeth Blackman and removed to Streator, Ill.; Curtis married Ethelinda Shores and lived at Ghent; Jemima married Jesse R. Drake of Wysox; Elizabeth married Elijah Horton; Ruth N. married Isaac Jayne Horton. Some years after the death of Mr. Ferguson, the property was sold to Hezekiah Smith, and Mrs. Ferguson went West with her sons.
Eliphalet Gustin, a "journeying shoemaker," born February 2, 1766, in Vermont, who had married Jemima, daughter of Elijah Horton, came from Stroudsburg, Pa. to Sheshequin, 1791. He made the journey up the river in a canoe with his wife, two children and a few household effects. In 1800, Mr. Gustin sold his improvements at Hornbrook and moved across the river to the mouth of Hemlock Run, where he remained three years, then pushed up Sugar Creek, locating permanently in Burlington township. The children of Eliphalet and Jemima Gustin were: Timothy H., Freelove, Joshua, Simeon, John, Sally, Polly, Phebe, Rosanna, Rosilla, Eliphalet, Mary A.
Timothy Horton died in the War of 1812.
John married 1st Mrs. Fannie Lane, 2nd Miss Betsy Mead and lived in Burlington.
Rosilla married Samuel Wright.
Eliphalet, Jr. married, March 31, 1833, Cynthia Clark and lived in Burlington.
Mary A. married Richard Rundell. Mr. Gustin married, 1822, for his second wife, Sally Mills. He died July 1, 1860 upon his farm at Luthers Mills.
John Schrader came to Towanda in 1791, removing to Powell, 1801, settling where the tannery now is. He was a Hessian soldier and was captured with others at the battle of Trenton. Soon afterwards, he espoused the American cause and joined Washington's army. He served 2 1/2 years in Count Pulaski's dragoons. He fought at the battle of Brandywine and came near to being captured.
"Three times the Count and his legions of horsemen charged the British center before it gave way. Schrader and some thirty others broke through, but the line was immediately closed, thus cutting off the brave men from the rest of their troop. Schrader must get out of that or be hung for deserting the British cause. The thirty wheeled upon the back of the newly formed line, with hacks and hewings from saber and cutlass. Pulaski, determined to save his men, charged and recharged and finally rescued Schrader and fifteen of his comrades. However, before the rescue, a redcoat stepped up to Schrader and thrust his bayonet into his hip, and in a few minutes the blood was running over the top of his boot. Schrader, once being asked what he then did, reiterated: 'O, mine gut, sir, you eats no more breat in Englant. Mine saber sphlitt him to his shoulters. I mate two men of him, but dey vere both deat men'."
After the war, it appears that Schrader settled at Hagerstown, Md., where he married, thence found his way into Northumberland county, coming from there to Bradford. From the fact of his having settled near the creek, which joins the main stream at Powell, it was called the "Schrader" in his memory. He died in Monroe after 1826, at an advanced age and was buried at Coles. The children of John and Catherine Schrader were: John, Harmon, Katie, Betsy, Polly, Frederick and Samuel.
James Rockwell, a native of East Windsor, Conn., came to Wyalusing Creek below Stevensville, it is claimed, in 1790, being the first permanent settler within Pike township. He early grew tobacco, established a brick-yard on his farm and supplied the settlers with brick when required. James Rockwell had sons, William and Nathan and several daughters. William had children, Alonzo and Mary. Nathan was twice married, wives being sisters and daughters of Nathan White.
Seth P. Rockwell, a brother of James, born in 1770, came from Connecticut, 1791, locating on what is known as Rockwell Creek in Pike township. He came empty-handed and alone, chopping a road up to his settlement which he called Newtown. For seven years his nearest neighbor was Nathan Abbott on Wyalusing Creek. In 1796 Mr. Rockwell married, and the following summer brought his wife to his home in the wilderness. As winter came on he returned East with his wife and continued this practice each year until he had cleared sufficient land to produce their living. He had a crude process of turning hides into leather, from which he made shoes for himself and family. He also had a pioneer mill mortar and spring-pole pestle--in which corn was cracked for use. This was the only mill in the neighborhood for a long time and was free to all, provided they did their own pounding. Located as he was in a great wilderness,
Mr. Rockwell had many exciting experiences with wild animals. His son, S. Joab, who never married, afterwards occupied the improvements made by him. Other children of Seth P. Rockwell were: David married Widow Orshall, lived in Orwell. Annis married Mr. Crawford and moved to Susquehanna county; Dorcas, Huldah, Ruth and Julia died unmarried upon the homestead; Eleazer married Agnes, an adopted daughter of Willis Bronson of Towanda. "Parson Rockwell's family were all industrious, good citizens, but being of old Connecticut stock, were as firm believers in witches as ever was Cotton Mather, but in later years this idea became almost if not quite a dead letter with them."
Benjamin Ackley, a native of New Milford, Conn., born, 1769, came to Wyalusing in 1791. He was a blacksmith by occupation and the first regular one to locate in the township. He was a man of considerable ability and for a number of years was justice of the peace. He married first, Nancy Maxfield, by whom he had children: Lloyd, Harry, Niram, Olive (Mrs. Harris Scofield), Mary Ann (Mrs. Aholiab Taylor), and Hannah (Mrs. John Black).
Lloyd married 1st Clarry Gordon, 2nd Polly Coolbaugh;
Niram married Sophia Wells.
Harry, born April 5, 1795, was one of the Tuscarora pioneers. He was a man of excellent mind and sterling worth, and performed many public duties. He was captain of a company of sharp-shooters in old militia days, and in 1851 was elected an associate judge of Bradford county, serving a term of five years. He married, 1814, Miss Abigail Bennett of Connecticut. Their children were: Angeline (Mrs. Milton Lewis), Ferris, Alfred, Lucretia (Mrs. John Lum), Nancy (Mrs. Washington Taylor), Demmon, Lorenzo, Harry S., Helen (Mrs. Stephen Bowen), Sophia (Mrs. Stuart Biswork) and Henry. Judge Ackley died January 11, 1864, aged 69 years.
For his second wife, Mr. Ackley married Amy, daughter of Thomas Lewis. Their children were: Sally, Cordelia (Mrs. Moses Tyler), Caroline (Mrs. Alphonso Lloyd), Sterling, Justus and Benjamin. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ackley died, 1855.
Christopher Cowell, who had married Rachel, sister of Moses Coolbaugh of Wysox, joined the settlement of the latter, 1791. In 1818 he and his son, Conrad, purchased a farm in Macedonia, opposite the Moger narrows, to which they moved. Rachel Cowell was one of the first members of the original church organization at Wysox. Mr. Cowell lost his life, February 14, 1825, by being drowned in the river, then in his 66th year. His wife died September 22, 1841, in her 77th year. Their children were: Betsy, Esther, Conrad, Polly, William, John and Susan.
Betsy married Benjamin Martin, lived in Standing Stone.
Esther married William Horton, lived in Sheshequin.
Conrad married Phoebe ______; died in early manhood.
Polly married John Watts, lived in Canton.
William married Achsah Robinson and lived in Macedonia. Children: Jesse R., Christopher, Christiana (Mrs. George Coolbaugh), Chauncy R., Seldon S., Abiah (Mrs. H. S. Hollon), Charles G., Philip W. and George E.
John married and lived in Ohio.
Philip married and lived in Ohio.
Susan married James Kelly, lived in Ohio.
Benjamin Brink was born August 29, 1763 of Dutch parentage at Kingwood, Morris county, N.J. He removed to Lower Smithfield, Northampton county, Pa., where he was living at the breaking out of the Revolutionary war. In the Spring of 1780 he enlisted as a private in the company commanded by Capt. Henry Shoemaker, Col. John Cambers' regiment, for the term during the war. The nature of his services and the duties performed by him were confined to the line of fortifications upon the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware river to protect the settlers from the Indians and Tories. He was employed in garrison duty, building and repairing forts; taking his regular turn in mounting guard on sentry, spies and scouts; received his honorable discharge the latter part of 1783. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Elijah Horton, and came with his father-in-law to Sheshequin, 1791. His wife died, 1830, and he, December 31, 1845. Their children were: Daniel, Jemima, Rachel, Benjamin, Elijah, John, Elizabeth, James and Hester.
Daniel, born June 5, 1787, was for many years extensively engaged in the mercantile business at Hornbrook; was elected county commissioner in 1842; sold his Sheshequin interests, 1854, moving to Rochelle, Ill., where he died, 1885, aged 98 years. He married Rachel, daughter of Jesse Smith. Their children were: Daniel, Benjamin, Polly (Mrs. Ithiel Horton), Jane (Mrs. James M. Peck), Matilda (Mrs. Thomas Minier), Betsy (Mrs. Joshua Horton), Sally (Mrs. Charles Horton).
Jemima, born February 1, 1789, married Jonas Smith; died December 23, 1825 in Sheshequin.
Rachel, born March 3, 1791, married John M. Smith; reared a large family; died March 7, 1872 in Sheshequin.
Benjamin, Jr., born May 12, 1793, married for his first wife a Miss Rogers. Their children were: Amanda and T. Worthy. He married, second, Polly, daughter of John C. Forbes. Children: Delilah (Mrs. Crans) and John. Mr. Brink died December 28, 1830.
Elijah, born May 3, 1795, followed shoemaking; died July 14, 1817, unmarried.
John, born February 8, 1798, married Amanda, daughter of Ebenezer Segar. Children: Orace (Mrs. Percival Powell), Elizabeth (never married), Charles, Julia (died in girlhood), and John R.; Mr. Brink died November 23, 1874.
Elizabeth, born December 8, 1799, married Henry Bensley of Barton, N.Y., and had three children: John, Archibald and Mary.
James, born November 28, 1801, married Mary Ann Bensley, sister of
Henry, the husband of Elizabeth Brink. Children: William, Benjamin, Isaac, Seeley, Victoria (Mrs. A. J. Layton), James. Mr. Brink died May 11, 1881.
Hester, born July 24, 1806, married Archibald Forbes; was the mother of a large family; died March 13, 1901, aged nearly 95 years.
Joshua Bailey, a native of Orange county, N.Y., in 1791, having attained his majority, set out "to seek his fortune in the new country." Upon reaching Wyalusing, he found the family of Amos Bennett, former neighbors. He remained with the Bennetts until the following Spring (1792), when he married Mr. Bennett's daughter, Susan, and moved to the place which he had selected on Sugar Creek in North Towanda. Here about an acre had been cleared by the Indians by burning down the trees. Corn stalks were yet standing in their hills, left by the red men. Mr. Bailey constructed a cabin out of poles and covered it with bark. When the cold weather set in, the cracks between the poles were mudded to make the cabin more comfortable. For a floor, slabs, four feet long, were split out of a pine tree. His home in the wilderness was most dismal, ferocious wild beasts prowling around by day and by night. Amos Bennett, his brother-in-law, living a mile down the creek, was his nearest neighbor. The first year Mr. Bailey cleared about four acres and planted the same to corn and potatoes. He had a good crop, but there was no mill for many miles where he could get his corn ground. So he resorted to the Indian's invention and made a "samp-mortar" for cracking corn, a very slow and laborious process. The next year Mr. Bailey went back to Orange county and brought on his return a horse, cow, heifer and yoke of oxen. His sheep and hogs were confined in strong pens at night to be kept from destruction by the wolves, panthers and bears. Mr. Bailey was a typical pioneer and continued his hard and faithful labors until he had cleared and improved his farm, where he died February 14, 1861, aged nearly 92 years. The children of Joshua and Susan Bailey were:
Pruda, born May 30, 1795, married Stephen Avery, moved to Ohio.
Joshua, Jr., born December 4, 1796, married Polly Gregg, occupied part of the homestead.
Nehemiah, born January 2, 1799, married Lydia Brague, moved West.
Nathaniel, born February 5, 1801, married Eleanor Carpenter, lived in North Towanda.
Anna, born August 20, 1802, married Andrew C. Gregg of Towanda.
Phoebe, born April 1, 1804, married Austin Rundell of Burlington.
Susan, born February 20, 1806, married William McNeal of North Towanda.
Polly, born September 16, 1807, married Harry Coolbaugh of Asylum.
Mehitable, born May 7, 1809, married Gordon Goff, lived in Tioga county, Pa.
John, born February 26, 1812, married Abigail Slater, died in the Civil war.
Clara (twin of John), married Alfred Strope of Rome.
Enos, born December 26, 1814, married 1st Sabra Wilcox, 2nd Amy Strope.
Jeremiah, born November 19, 1817, married Electa, daughter of Thomas Baldwin of Troy, always lived on the homestead, where he died, aged 74 years. Children: Thomas J., Newton J., Susan, Joseph, Dora (Mrs. S. Slater), Lucy (Mrs. Perry Hess) and Jeremiah.
John Taylor, born January 7, 1770 in Dauphin county, Pa. of Scotch-Irish parentage, came to Wyalusing, 1792, purchasing a property formerly occupied by Amos Bennett. "He was a model of energy, punctuality, uprightness, fortitude and Christian integrity." He was one of the fathers of the Wyalusing Presbyterian church, for forty years its clerk and served as deacon and ruling elder until his death. He occupied a prominent position in the old militia and was familiarly known as "Major Taylor." After coming to Wyalusing, May 16, 1794, he married Deborah, daughter of Capt. Aholiab and Lucretia (York) Buck. He died October 17, 1855. His wife, born March 25, 1778, "was for more than sixty years his faithful partner, and united with him in dispensing a generous hospitality to all who loved the name of Christ." She died September 26, 1855. They were the parents of seventeen children, ten of whom grew up, as follows:
Aholiab, born July 16, 1796, married Mary A. Ackley.
George, born November 16, 1797, married Abigail Baldwin.
John, born September 7, 1799, married Betsy Stevens.
Justus, born March 6, 1801, married Hebsibett Jenkins.
Miner, born January 31, 1806, married Ellen Grant.
Lucretia, born July 25, 1807, married Josiah Jewett.
Martha, born April 29, 1809, married Henry Gaylord.
Deborah, born December 10, 1810, married Burton Edwards.
Washington, born December 28, 1811, married Nancy Ackley.
Bascom, born August 3, 1814, married Lydia, daughter of James and Margaret (Cool) Fries of Troy, died 1872. Children: Samuel F., Justus V., John B., Francis and Alton S.
John Horton, son of Lieut. Israel and Sarah (Lee) Horton, was born July 30, 1763, at Goshen, N.Y. He was a descendant in the 6th generation from Barnabus Horton and a distant cousin of Elijah Horton, an early settler of Sheshequin. During the latter part of the Revolutionary war he served in Colonel Hawthorn's regiment of New York state troops, being stationed first at Mamakating Hollow and afterwards on Neversink Creek. In 1787 he removed to the Wyoming Valley, where he remained till 1792 when he moved into the wilderness at Terrytown, Bradford county. He was decidedly enterprising and the leading spirit in the community. He filled many local offices, was popularly known as "Major Horton." In 1805 he built the first framed barn in Terry township, and in 1806 the first framed dwelling house. Major Horton had married, April 9, 1785 at Little Britain, N.Y., Deborah, daughter of Parshall and Deborah (Clark) Terry. She was one of the inmates of Forty Fort the night after the battle and massacre at Wyoming, and the recollections of those terrible scenes were strongly impressed upon her memory till the day of her death, and she never could relate them without tears. She was a woman of marked character, great energy and deep piety. Major Horton died April 28, 1848, and at his funeral "a larger concourse of people were gathered than had ever before been witnessed in that part of the county on a funeral occasion." His wife, born May 25, 1766, died May 25, 1844. Their children were: Ebenezer, Anna, Lydia, John, Eunice, Sally, Betsy, Francis, George F., Edmund and Harry M.
Ebenezer, born January 9, 1786, married Mary, daughter of Jonathan Terry, lived at Sugar Run, died, 1826. Children: Nathaniel T., Hiram, Jason P., Julia, Eunice, Ebenezer, Addia Jane, Lydia Ann.
Anna, born October 21, 1788, died unmarried, August, 1813.
Lydia, born March 14, 1791, married John P. Stalford of Wyalusing.
John, born March 23, 1793, was for many years engaged in mercantile pursuits at Terrytown and was a highly successful business man. He was one of the leading Democrats of the county, served many years as constable and justice of the peace and as county treasurer, 1849-'51. He was captain and then major in the Militia, and from 1828 to 1835 brigade inspector. He married 1st Nancy G. Miller; 2nd Lydia (Kimball) Molther, their son, Col. Joseph H. Horton, was a distinguished soldier in the Civil war; 3rd Amanda Cross. Mr. Horton died February 21, 1867.
Eunice, born January 14, 1796, married Thomas Ingham of Sugar Run, died March 2, 1844.
She was the mother of J. Washington Ingham and Judge Thomas J. Ingham.
Sally, born May 29, 1798, married John Morrow of Wilmot, was the mother of Judge Paul D. Morrow.
Betsy, born December 27, 1800, married Francis Baillett.
Francis, born June 7, 1803, died unmarried.
George F., born January 2, 1806, married Abigail, daughter of William Terry; was for many years a practicing physician at Terrytown; was a member of the Constitutional convention, 1873, and the author of "Chronicles of the Horton Family"; died December 20, 1886.
Edmund, born August 9, 1808, Martha A. Robinson, lived at Terrytown; died April 12, 1883.
Harry Morgan, born September 24, 1811, read medicine and died
soon after his graduation from Jefferson College, unmarried.
Job Irish came from Columbia county, N.Y., to Wysox, 1792, afterwards removing to Towanda township, locating on the Patton place, which he sold to Capt. George Alger. He then moved to Monroe township. Irish was a man of considerable talent and became somewhat noted as a pettifogger and Methodist exhorter. In local matters he took an active part. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Salisbury of Monroe. Mr. Irish died April 5, 1825, aged 52 years, and his wife, May 1, 1836, aged 63 years. Their children were: Henry, who married Polly, daughter of John Schrader, and moved West; Jedediah married Mahala, daughter of Selah Arnout of Monroe, moved to Mauch Chunk and became a man of considerable prominence; Betsy married Ebenezer Titus of Smithfield; Susan married Ephraim Ladd, Jr. of Albany; Catharine married Isaac Ellsworth and moved West; Polly; Job; George; Ferdinand (Frederick). The sons all left the county.
Stephen Ballard came from Framingham, Mass., to Sugar Creek, 1792, and selected a home, now the J. D. Blackwell farm in West Burlington. After making necessary preparations he returned East and the next year brought his family. Upon locating in the wilderness he supplied himself from Judge Gore's store, the following being among the articles: "Conk-shell, buckshot, 18 flints, 5 pounds shot, leather, cloth and thread, quire paper, penknife, 2 pounds lead, snuff, tea, quantity whiskey, woolen-wheel and sundries. Later he was credited by reaping, mowing and raking, flax, corn, ax-handles, cash, yoke and bows, hay and mare." Mrs. Ballard was one of the original "band of praying mothers on Sugar Creek." Mr. Ballard made valuable improvements, selling prior to 1812 and removed to Green county, Ohio,
where with others of the family he established an important settlement and numerous descendants still reside. He had a large family, one of the daughters, Elizabeth, married John Gamage and remained in West Burlington.
In 1793 when Mr. Ballard moved his family to Sugar Creek, his cousins, John and Nathaniel Ballard, twins, then in their 17th year, came with him. They selected homes and the next year, 1794, brought in their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ballard, and the rest of the family.
Joseph Ballard located half a mile above the old church in West Burlington. He had married Betsey Cloise. She died May 2, 1804, and he in 1806. Their children were: John and Nathaniel (twins), Nathan, Lyman, Joseph, Josiah, Anna, Mehitable, Betsy and Polly.
Nathan, Lyman, Joseph and Josiah settled in Ohio.
Anna married William Pratt.
Mehitable married David Miller.
Betsy married William G. Dobbins.
Polly died unmarried, 1806.
John Ballard, born December 27, 1778, in Vermont, came to Sugar Creek, 1793, and occupied with his father the homestead. He married 1st Mary Dobbins and had children: Joseph, Harriet and Wealthy. Mr. and Mrs. Ballard having separated, he afterwards married Betsy, daughter of Alexander Lane. Their children were: William, Myron and Lamira (twins), John and Alexander. Mr. Ballard was a courageous and enterprising pioneer. He died, 1859.
Harriet married John M. Means, Towanda.
Wealthy married John Vroman, Granville.
William married Miss Swartwood of Burlington, removed to Michigan.
Myron married a daughter of Jabez Smith, Burlington, removed to Michigan. Eugenia, their eldest child, married Lorentus Ward and remained in West Burlington.
Lamira married George A. Johnson and lived in Granville. Children: Elvira (Mrs. Horace Spencer) and William E.
John married Caroline Litzleman, moved to Colorado.
Alexander married and went to Missouri.
Nathaniel Ballard, twin brother of John, born December 27, 1778, in Vermont, lived upon his farm, selected, 1793, in West Burlington, until 1833, when he moved to Columbia township, where he died November 1, 1861. He married Susannah, daughter of William and Mary (McLean) Dobbins. Their children were:
Myron was a man of prominence, and served as commissioner and associate judge of Bradford county. He married Thankful, daughter of Moses Calkins. Their children were: Charles H., Mary A., Horace A., Benjamin M., Jane E. (Mrs. Hezekiah Peck), Addison M., Susannah C. (Mrs. John H. Watkins). Mr. Ballard died January 16, 1878 in Columbia.
Celestia married Joel Stevens, Columbia.
Betsy married Addison McDowell.
Hugh Rippeth, a native of Ireland, who had married Huldah, daughter of John Franklin and cousin of Arnold Franklin, came to Lower Sheshequin about 1792, settling on the Johnson place. Here he died about 1805. He had two sons and two daughters. One of the daughters, Jane, married Salmon Beardsley and lived near Rochester, N.Y. The elder son, William, married Polly, daughter of Samuel Shores and lived on Shores Hill.
Josiah Marshall, who had married Sibyl Brown, came from the Wyoming Valley to Sheshequin, 1792. He was a man of considerable activity in the new settlement, and filled the offices of supervisor of highways and constable. He died March 11, 1804, in his 42nd year. His children were: Samuel, Thomas, Edward, Josiah B., Elizabeth and Sarah.
Samuel married Hannah, daughter of Samuel Hoyt, occupied a part of the homestead, where he died January 9, 1840, in his 49th year. He had a family of several children, all of whom removed from the town.
Thomas married Lucy, daughter of George Kinney, occupied a portion of the homestead, where he died March 16, 1850, in his 58th year. He had no children.
Josiah B. married Charlotte, daughter of John Goodwin of Kingston, Pa. He was a man of considerable prominence, but shamefully deserted his family, going to the Sandwich Islands, thence to California, where it is claimed, he was the Marshall who discovered gold on the American river in 1848. He left the following children: Jane (Mrs. Abraham Gore), Caroline, Sibyl, Emily (Mrs. Albert Botsford), Thomas, Wallace, Lemuel and Samuel (twins).
Elizabeth married John F. Satterlee of Athens, died December 5, 1871, aged 77 years.
Sarah married Edmund Hill of Sheshequin.
Sibyl Marshall, after the death of her husband, married Ebenezer Segar and reared a second family.
Morris Wilcox, a rider of race horses, came to Ulster about 1792. He married Millie, daughter of Chester Bingham, and died about 1806 while out of the county attending races. He left the following children: Martha, who had married William Clark, Burlington; Mary married George E. Arnout, Monroe; Jerusha married Stephen Powell, North Towanda; James married Ruth Lane, lived at Luthers Mills, reaching remarkable old age; Sally married Cephas Clark, Burlington; Sabra married Enos Bailey, North Towanda. Mrs. Wilcox died with her daughter, Mrs. Arnout, in Monroe.
Loomis Family--The history of the Loomis family in America, dates from 1638, when Joseph Loomis, with his wife, Mary White, and eight children sailed from London, England, and after a voyage of three months landed at Boston. The next year (1639) he settled at Windsor, Conn., where the original homestead has ever since been in the Loomis name.
Wright Loomis was a descendant in the sixth generation from Joseph. He was a son of Seth and Esther (Kelsey) Loomis and was born February 13, 1756 at Windsor, Conn. He married Louisa Barnes and in 1792 removed to Athens with his wife and three children, Theodorus, Asenath and Erastus. "He came in true Yankee style with a yoke of oxen and a horse ahead, drawing the wagon packed with household goods, the children walking all the way." Mr. Loomis purchased of Samuel Swift, who had occupied the place a year, he having bought of Uriah Stephens and Solomon Bennett, who made the original settlement, 1784, remaining six years. Loomis's became the rallying point of the settlers, and for many years elections for the upper part of the county were held there. After the death of Mr. Loomis in 1817, his sons, Erastus and Theodorus, occupied the place. Both Mr. Loomis and his wife are buried at Green's Landing.
Theodorus married Fanny, daughter of Isaac Morley and had children, who married as follows: Philander to 1st Harriet Beidleman, 2nd Mrs. Emily Lenox; John Wright to Evelyn Snell; Erastus to Mima Jane Macafee; Theodorus died in young manhood unmarried; Eliza to Daniel Walker; Lucina to Nelson Keeler; Amanda died in young womanhood unmarried; Charles to Sarah Knickerbocker; Sidney to 1st Anna Pierce, 2nd Chloe Nichols; Francis to Mary Malloy; Justin to Delphine Smith.
Asenath married William Eaton of Springfield township.
Erastus married Dorcas, sister of Fanny and daughter of Isaac Morley. They had two daughters: Merab, who married Ira Woodworth of Springfield and Celestia married Laertes Langford of Rock Island, Ill. About 1828 Mr. Loomis and his wife separated. He went to Buffalo, N.Y., where he is supposed to have been robbed and killed.