The Camps are of English origin and their lineage has been traced back to 1591 when the family was living in Essex county. Nicholas Camp, his wife, Sarah, and their family came from England, 1631, in the ship Lion with Rev. John Elliott. In 1638 they moved from New Haven to Milford, Conn. Nicholas Camp was one of the founders and freeholders of Milford, 1639. His son, Nicholas, Jr. was a deputy to the general court, 1670-'1-'2 at Hartford. He had a son, Sergt. Samuel Camp, who married his cousin, Mary Camp; second wife, Rebecca, widow of Thomas Canfield. They had a son, John, who had a son, Israel. Israel married Anna Hine and was on the committee for the inspection of provisions during the Revolutionary war. He had a son, Job, who became one of the pioneers of Bradford county.
Job Camp was born November 16, 1749 at New Milford, Conn. During the Revolutionary war he served as captain of a company, bearing his name, in Lieut.-Colonel Thomas Seymour's regiment of Light Dragoons, Connecticut Militia. In 1792, he came to what is now Camptown, Bradford county, selected lands, planted a piece of corn, and after it was harvested, returned to Connecticut for his family, which the next year he brought into the unbroken wilderness. "He started from Connecticut with a yoke of oxen, which were used to transport his family and goods. Taking the usual course of the emigrants--
across the country from the Hudson to Stroudsburg and through the great swamp--they reached the Susquehanna at Pittston. The route was a slow and toilsome one, but thus far there was a road along which they could drive a team, but up the river there was nothing but the narrow Indian path. They were therefore compelled to unyoke their oxen and drive them along singly. The cart, young members of the family, and household goods were then placed on a keel-boat, and two men were hired to push it up the river to Wyalusing. The progress was slow and the labor severe, and several days were necessary for the trip. It took all of Mr. Camp's crop of corn, raised the preceding year, to pay the boatmen, and the family were obliged to get along as best they could until another crop was harvested." Mr. Camp was a carpenter by trade and erected most of the first buildings on Wyalusing creek. The village of Camptown, where he settled, is so called in his memory. He married Anna, daughter of Samuel Oviatt of New Milford, Conn. Mr. Camp died January 17, 1822. His wife, born January 27, 1749, died November 25, 1825. Both are buried at Merryall. Their children were: Albert, Polly, Isaac, William, Clark, Elijah, Garry and Israel, all born in Connecticut but Israel.
Albert married and in 1800, settled in Middletown, Susquehanna county. He had sons, Isaac, Levi, Jonathan and Nelson; and one daughter.
Polly married Joseph Ross of Pike.
Isaac, born January 25, 1782, married, February 10, 1803, Mary Lacey. He learned the trade of millwright and was the inventor of the mould-board of the cast-iron plough. In 1825 he settled in Herrick and devoted his last years to farming. He died January 3, 1862, his being the first death of the children above named, whose aggregate ages at this time were over 620 years. His wife died in February, 1876, in her 92nd year. Their children were: Clark C., Isaac, Joseph, Lydia (Mrs. M. Weldon), Albert G., Marietta (Mrs. Chas. Overpeck), George S., Clarissa (Mrs. J. S. Crawford) and Thaddeus S.
William married Jedida Lacey, Laceyville.
Elijah married Sally, daughter of Amasa Wells.
Israel married Mercy, daughter of Guy Wells.
Nathan Northrup, a native of Connecticut, removed to Sussex county, N.J., thence to the Wyoming Valley, where he was residing at the time of the memorable battle, July 3, 1778. He fled from Forty Fort and made his escape. For a time he settled at Nanticoke, and in 1792 came up the river in a canoe, bringing such effects as the family possessed. He settled on the flats, east side of the Susquehanna, about a mile below Athens village.
(Portrait of William Northrup)
He established (1794) a ferry which he operated several years in connection with farming. Mr. Northrup had married about 1754 Sarah Crawford and had sons, Richard, John, Nehemiah, Bijah and James, and a daughter, Anna. He died in Monroe, December 17, 1804, in his 77th year. Mrs. Northrup afterwards espoused to Alexander Howden, died March 5, 1837, aged 105 years. "When past 90 years, she would spin eighty knots of yarn in a day, and when a century old she would take the floor and dance an old-fashioned step with the agility of a girl in her teens. After becoming a centenarian,
she would walk from her son's residence at Athens to the home of her children in Monroe, a distance of 22 miles."
Richard settled in the Genesee country.
Nehemiah ("Myer") married Sally Parks and occupied the homestead in Athens, where he died September 30, 1842, aged 81 years.
John for some years was a waterman on the Susquehanna; in 1816 he settled in Monroe and engaged in cutting mill-stones, keeping hotel, lumbering and farming. He married Polly Tallady of Wysox; died April 12, 1848 in his 79th year. Their children were: Henry, born June 17, 1801, attained remarkable old age; Nathan, born January 23, 1803, was a noted hunter; died April 14, 1890; Polly, born November 14, 1805, married Moratt Merithew; Stephen, born September 1, 1806; John, born March 19, 1810, died October 16, 1889; Weltha, born January 1, 1813, married John Cox.
James was a waterman, millwright and carpenter. He settled in Monroe, where he died, 1824, aged 53 years. He married first Easter Hollis and had children: Sally (Mrs. Gates Van Ross), Easter (Mrs. Jacob Ringer); Ira settled in the West. He married 2nd Althea Tallady of Wysox, children: Nancy (Mrs. Samuel Cranmer); William, born December 14, 1809, was one of the most noted, daring and the last of the old-time hunters in the county. Some of his feats were very remarkable. He entered a bruin's cavern and shot him by the glare of his own eyes. He began actively hunting at 16 and continued for 45 years until game became scarcer. However, he kept up his annual hunts with the boys until past 80 years. His best record was 24 deer in a week and 1,500 in all. He killed scores of bears, a large number of elk, catamounts, wild cats and other animals. One of his most notable shots was in killing two deer and wounding a third. He was a man of average stature, great nerve and an unerring marksman. He was lithe and erect in form even as an octogenarian. He was noted for his enduring powers, generous hospitality and true kindness of heart. His death occurred August 26, 1896. Benjamin was a prominent citizen of Monroe and Towanda; Lucinda married George Stage; Samantha, b. April 30, 1824, married Wm. Rockwell of Franklin; Nathan died in young manhood.
Bijah ("Bij") for a time lived on an island in the river above the mouth of Towanda creek. He was employed by Wm. Means for many years and was one of the most noted pilots on the Susquehanna. His last days were spent in Northrup Hollow. He married Sylvia Parks by whom he had a large family of children. A daughter, known as "Betsy Bij," was one of the most powerful females in northern Pennsylvania.
She drove her own ox-team, plowed, chopped and took the shingles of her own manufacture to market. She could rive and shave 1,000 shingles in a day, the work of an expert shingle-maker. She even took large jobs of cutting logs, and swung her axe with the skill of a woodsman. She knew no fear and most men let her have her own way.
Anna married David Ross.
Eli Holcomb, a native of Granby, Conn., emigrated with his family from Simsbury, Conn., to Ulster, 1793, settling on Cash creek. He was enterprising and early erected a saw-mill on Cash creek, which supplied the lumber for the first plank houses in a large section of country. His saw-mill and corn-mill were in operation in or before 1795. Mr. Holcomb had married Hannah Crofut of Danbury, Conn. Both died in Ulster, the former, May 10, 1823, aged 82 years, and the latter, June 1, 1825, aged 84 years. They had six sons and two daughters as follows:
Selah, who married Sarah Wilcox in Connecticut, settled and died in Herkimer county, N.Y.
Hannah, the first pioneer woman of LeRoy, married Seeley Crofut and spent her days with her family in LeRoy.
Alpheus married Hannah Kingsbury and settled in LeRoy. He was for many years a deacon in the Baptist church there. His children were: Phineas W., Myron, Hobart, Martha (Mrs. John McKee), Celestia (Mrs. Ledyard Chaapel), Hannah (Mrs. Robert McKee), and Phoebe Ann (Mrs. David Smiley).
Truman, born August 10, 1769, first settled in LeRoy, but in 1814 purchases 121 acres of the farm occupied by his father and located in Ulster permanently. He married first Seba Bannen, their children being Eli, Samuel B., Alfred, Seba (first Mrs. James Burk, second Mrs. Wm. Scott), Lucy B. (Mrs. Perley Morse), Minerva (Mrs. Weldon Galop), Delight (Mrs. Benj. Saxton), Lydia (Mrs. Thos. Kitchen). For his second wife, Mr. Holcomb married Lydia Ladd of Albany. Their children were: Jared, J. Milton, Truman H., Charles W., Roxey (Mrs. John Cole), Julia Ann (Mrs. Daniel Cole), Lucinda (Mrs. Gurden H. Eaton), Nancy, Mary Ellen (Mrs. Ansel Olmstead). The father died December 25, 1848.
Hugh, born October 14, 1774, with his brother made the first settlement in LeRoy, where he died July, 1843. He married first a Miss Oakley, by whom he had one son, Marlon. He married second Prudence Bailey of Granville, their children being: Alonzo, Orator, Harvey, Judson, Emeline (Mrs. Tyrus Himes), Ezra.
Sterling, born October 10, 1776, and his brother were the first permanent settlers in LeRoy, where he died March 22, 1850. He married Betsy Stone and had the following children: Louisa (Mrs. Levi Taylor), Sylvia (Mrs. Orison Royce), Hiram, Harry, Benjamin S., Sarah (Mrs. Elon A. Bailey), Seeley, Cynthia (Mrs. Andrew Spalding), Horace S., Betsy Matilda (Mrs. Luman D. Taylor), Chester, Hannah (Mrs. Chas. Bliss).
Jared married Hannah ______ and occupied a portion of the homestead in Ulster. He was for many years the Justice of the Peace. He died April 26, 1850 in his 70th year, and his wife, August 1, 1838 in her 66th year. They had no children.
Cynthia, born March 17, 1783, married Ebenezer Shaw of Sheshequin; was the mother of a large family; died April 10, 1868.
Vaughan Family--Family tradition has it that John Vaughan, who was a gardener to an English nobleman, became enamored with his daughter, Nancy Day. The affection being returned, they were secretly married and, to escape the anger of the young lady's aristocratic parents, fled to America about 1750 and settled in Litchfield county, Conn. John and Nancy (Day) Vaughan had sons John, Richard and Edward, and one daughter. John settled in Luzerne county, Pa., and was the father of a large family. Edward settled in New York state and died suddenly at Athens, Pa., while there on business.
Richard Vaughan, born August 16, 1755 at Ogleton, Conn., on September 1, 1777 enlisted in Capt. Peter Grant's company of Col. William Grayson's regiment, Foot Continental troops, and served until the close of the Revolutionary war. After the war he purchased a farm, Connecticut title, near the present village of Laceyville, where he moved his family. While residing here he was involved in the Yankee and Pennamite troubles. He was appointed and served as a lieutenant of militia of Luzerne county. He had married Ellen Race and had children: John, William, Phoebe, Robert, Rhoda, Anna, Polly, Justus, Richard and Elias. Mr. Vaughan died August 26, 1791, and his remains repose in the Wyalusing cemetery. Owing to difficulty over the land title, Mrs. Vaughan and her sons moved, about 1792, to the mouth of Rummerfield creek, where they purchased other lands and began improvements. Here the mother and her eldest son, John, died. Of the other children:
William went to Sackett's Harbor, N.Y., and was a captain in the War of 1812.
Phoebe married William Eddy and located in Canada.
Robert settled at Rochester, N.Y.
Rhoda married Daniel Martin of Wysox.
Anna married Daniel Coolbaugh of Wysox.
Polly married Walter Seaman and settled in New York state.
Justus settled in Michigan.
Richard went to Canada.
Elias, born June 10, 1785, married Sarah Abbott of Baltimore, died November 1, 1865. In 1807 he was commissioned a lieutenant in the Luzerne militia and subsequently promoted to a captaincy. In 1812 he was appointed postmaster for "Asylum, Luzerne county." He moved to Vaughan Hill in 1814, where he cleared a large farm and lived until the time of his death. He was a worthful citizen and a man of much importance in the neighborhood. The children of Elias and Sara Vaughan were: Eleanor (1st Mrs. Samuel Lake, 2nd Mrs. Joshua Corbin), John, Elias, Harriet (Mrs. John M. Gamble), James, Edward W., Evander R., Alonzo, George, Rhoda, Mary S. (Mrs. John G. Keeler) and Orilla (Mrs. George B. Day).
Abraham Taylor, son of Daniel and Abigail Taylor, was born May 17, 1765 at New Milford, Conn. On June 1, 1780, he enlisted as a private under Capt. Daniel Camp in the regiment (Connecticut troops) commanded by Colonel Canfield and served six months. He married, March 30, 1786, Mary, daughter of Ethiel Stone of New Milford, and in 1792-'93 emigrated to Bradford county, settling in Pike township. Here the patriot father endured the hardships of pioneer life and died June 9, 1839. He is buried in the Stevensville cemetery. His wife, born December 28, 1767, died November 8, 1836. Their children were:
Polly married William Bradshaw, Pike.
Daniel married Olive Wells, Pike.
Alanson died in young manhood, unmarried.
Nathan married Anna B., daughter of Joseph Ross.
Millicent married Roswell Kingsley, Wyalusing.
Abraham married Eunice Gregory.
Eunice married Harry Fessenden, Susquehanna county.
Ethiel married Immira Stevens of Stevensville.
Charles died in boyhood.
Eleazer Russell, a native of Bridgeport, Conn., emigrated to Bradford county, 1792, from Ballston, N.Y., where he had lived for a time. He came with a yoke of oxen and a pair of 3-year-old steers on sleds in the month of March. At Tioga Point he was compelled to wait a week for the river to get clear of ice, before he could venture upon it with his goods loaded in a canoe. He floated down to Wyalusing,
then poled the canoe up Wyalusing creek, driving the cattle along the bank singly. He located upon lands selected in Pike township and labored early and late making improvements. Here, after a few years, he was killed by the fall of a tree which he was chopping. He had married Ruth, sister of Ephraim Fairchild. They had two sons and four daughters. Mrs. Russell afterwards married William Frink and removed to New Milford, Susquehanna county.
Ephraim Fairchild, a native of Litchfield county, Conn., who had served in the Revolutionary war, followed his brother-in-law, Eleazer Russell, to Pike, 1792-'93. He settled the Aden Stevens place, which he improved and where he died in March, 1822. He married Mary Platt, also a native of Litchfield county. She died, 1847, aged 91 years. Both are buried in the Stevensville cemetery. Their children were:
Edmund married Mehetable Beardsley and became a Methodist exhorter.
David married Lucinda Bostwick.
Abel married 1st Miss King, 2nd Matilda Brister. He practiced medicine, removing to California about 1851.
Mary married Lockwood King and removed to western N.Y.
Huldah, one of the earliest school teachers, married Samuel Dyer.
Hannah and Ruth were other daughters.
Nathan Abbott came to Pike about 1792, settling near Seth P. Rockwell. He died, 1804. He is said to have been the father of Benjamin, John and Nathan. Benjamin Abbott was at Wyalusing at the time of the massacre, and in his old age was fond of reciting thrilling incidents connected with the Valley. He spent most of his life in Rush, but died in Pike, 1858, aged 93 years.
Bostwick Family -- The Bostwicks are of English origin, their history in this country dating to about 1659, when three brothers, John, Arthur and Zachariah Bostwick, came from Cheshire and located at Stratford, Conn. John, (one of the brothers, or son of Arthur), removed, 1707, to New Milford, Conn., being the second person to settle in that town. He had a son, John, who married Hannah Fisk. Their eldest child was David, who married Hannah Hill. They had four sons and two daughters, the eldest being Dimon and Benajah.
Dimon Bostwick, born October 7, 1770, was reared and educated at New Milford. "He was an admirable surveyor and draughtsman, and was versed in mathematics, general literature, history and theology." In 1792 he left his home to seek his fortune amid the wilds of Pennsylvania.
Coming into Bradford county, he went up Wyalusing creek and selected his future home in Pike township. Soon after staking his claim he joined a party of surveyors and engaged in surveying most of his time until 1796, when he returned to New Milford and married Lois, daughter of David Olmstead. With an ox-team he brought his young wife into the wilderness to commence housekeeping in the log house which he had constructed. Dimon and his brother, Benajah, purchased large tracts of land, Connecticut title, and worked together some years before dividing. "Both were men of great strength of character, and were remarkable for principles of justice, integrity and honesty, and were liberal supporters of the Episcopal church, of which they were zealous members." They were heroic and enterprising pioneers. Dimon died December 3, 1856, aged 86 years. His wife, "possessed of much beauty of person and energy of character," died in her 81st year. Their children were: Almira (Mrs. William Ross), Eliza (Mrs. Samuel Marks), Julia, Randolph, Penett Marshall, Valvasa, Esther, Hannah and Sarah (Mrs. George P. Hopkins).
Benajah Bostwick, born February 17, 1776, came to Pike some years after his brother. He married Mary Olmstead, sister of his brother Dimon's wife. Their children were: Hannah, Lucinda (Mrs. David Fairchild), Silas Jackson and Harriet (Mrs. Joshua Burrows). Mr. Bostwick died, 1864, aged 88 years.
John Keeler, born, 1722, at Milton, Conn., was a tailor by occupation. During the Revolutionary war, July 1, 1776, he enlisted and served as an ensign in the company of Capt. Noble Benedict of Fairfield county. He assisted in the defense of Fort Washington and upon its fall was made prisoner. He also served, 1779, in Col. Nehemiah Bardsley's regiment as an ensign. He married Abigail Copley of New Milford, Conn., who was born April 26, 1723, and died February 5, 1789. They had children: Elisha, Ruth and Abigail. In 1793 Mr. Keeler accompanied his children to Pike, where he died September 17, 1795. His remains rest in the Stevensville cemetery.
Elisha Keeler, born 1764 at Milton, Conn., enlisted March 13, 1782, and served in the 2nd Connecticut regiment during the balance of the Revolution. Having purchased 330 acres, Connecticut title, in Bradford county, in the Spring of 1793 he set out from New Milford with an ox-team and horse to reach and occupy his acquisition. He was accompanied by his wife, three children, aged father, John Keeler, sister Ruth, a tailoress (never married), also sister, Abigail, and her husband, John Bradshaw. They came up the river, thence Wyalusing creek, which they crossed nine times, to Stevensville.
Here Mr. Keeler began improvements and in 1804 added merchandising in a small way. After three or four years he closed out his goods and engaged in wool-carding in company with Guy Wells. Their machine was one of the first brought in the country. Mr. Keeler married about 1786, Lucina, daughter of Capt. John and Hannah (Westover) Warner of New Milford. He died November 12, 1814, and his wife, born 1767, died March 6, 1834. Both lie in the Stevensville cemetery. Their children were:
Orabella, born July 30, 1787, married Loomis Wells.
Charles, born May 12, 1789, married Lucy Nichols.
Marietta, born June 21, 1791, married John Elliott.
Mary (Polly), born November 25, 1793, married Justus Lewis.
Elisha, Jr., born December 15, 1796, married Mary Lovett.
Lucy, born March 16, 1798, married Roswell Coburn.
John, born December 17, 1800, married Elizabeth Gregory.
Zina Dunbar, a native of Connecticut, born March 24, 1770, who was a carpenter by occupation, came with others to the Sugar Creek valley, 1791. He finally located at what is known as Long's Mills, Troy township, and there resided until his death, March 28, 1852. He had married Bethiah Ward, who died September 1, 1844, aged 81 years. Their eight children were:
Roswell married Asenath Ayers, Troy.
Dana married Cynthia Case, Troy.
Alanson married Martha Burk, Granville.
Linus married Elvira Packard, Granville.
Huldah married Truman Merry, Burlington.
Asenath married Thomas M. Scott, Troy.
Betsy married Ralph Wheeler, Troy.
Sally married Andrew Ayres, Troy.
Samuel Gilbert, a native of Connecticut, born March 1742, removed from Colchester to the Wyoming Valley, thence about 1792 came to Asylum, locating permanently at Frenchtown. In his case the usual hardships of the pioneer were considerably mitigated by the appliances of comfort of the neighboring French. He married, June 12, 1769, Mary, sister of Major Oliver Dodge. Mr. Gilbert died October 12, 1813, and his wife, born September 20, 1749, died January 7, 1833. Their children were: Lydia (Mrs. John Miller), Irene (Mrs. Jabez Chamberlain), Hannah, Eunice (Mrs. Hamilton), Anne, Fanny (Mrs. Charles Brown), Nancy (Mrs. Peck), Daniel, Samuel and Oliver.
Daniel married Mary Wythe and lived in Towanda and Monroe townships.
He died April 13, 1835, aged 52 years. He was the father of Nelson, John and Samuel.
Oliver married Lucretia Ely and occupied the homestead; died October 4, 1861, aged 72 yrs., 10 mos. and 16 days. His wife died May 11, 1889, aged 88 yrs. and 1 month. Children: Mary (Mrs. Francis Homet); Hiram married Mary Ann Woodruff, died, October 26, 1857, aged 37 yrs., 2 mos. and 26 days; his wife died, 1901, aged 70 yrs.; Richard E. married Harriet Hannon, died September 10, 1885, aged 61 yrs., 6 mos. and 4 days.
Samuel occupied a part of the homestead; died unmarried.
The Tuttles -- Arad, Joel, Josiah and William Tuttle from Connecticut came to Ulster about 1792. They were evidently all of the same family, and it is known that Arad, Joel and Josiah were brothers.
Joel Tuttle removed to Standing Stone, 1812, settling at the lower end of the narrows. Here he continued to reside until the time of his death; and both he and his wife were buried on the farm. He had married Rebecca Pierce of Chemung, N.Y. Their children were:
Alfred married Hannah Mingle.
Harvey married Margaret, sister of Hannah Mingle; removed West and died in Wisconsin.
Alby married Emily Humphrey, lived in Orwell.
Minerva married Anson Goff, Standing Stone.
Harriet married John Bennett, Asylum.
Jane married Heman Clark and removed to Illinois.
Rebecca married George Hopkins and lived in Illinois.
Rachel married Chester Kingsley and removed West.
Celestia married Wesley Vannest and removed West.
The father (probably William) of Joel Tuttle is said to have died in Standing Stone.
Josiah Tuttle, born October 28, 1774 in Connecticut, removed from Ulster to Sheshequin, 1799, settling at Hornbrook on the J. F. Blackman place. He married Jerusha, daughter of Chester Bingham. Both were faithful Universalists and original members of the first class of that denomination in the county. Mr. Tuttle was a sincere Mason and noted for his benevolence. He died June 21, 1830. His wife, born December 17, 1774, died November 28, 1857. They reared a family of seven stalwart sons (all six feet or over tall) and three daughters:
Chester, born June 18, 1795, married Maria, daughter of James Moore, died January 5, 1848.
Dorinda, born March 10, 1799, married a Mr. Lemon, died October 25, 1862 in Minnesota.
Edwin, born January 17, 1803, married Keziah Kinner, died in Rome township.
Joseph B., born May 5, 1805, married Eliza Horton, died in Illinois.
Albert, born July 23, 1807, married Delight Horton, removed to New Ulm, Minn., and became a man of prominence, serving several terms as a member of the State Legislature. During the Sioux outbreak, 1863, his son, William, a son-in-law and a nephew were slain in the massacre near New Ulm.
Calvin W., born August 8, 1810, married Julia, daughter of Peter Barnard, removed to Minnesota where he practiced law and died.
William C., born March 20, 1813, married Permilla Horton, widow of Isaac Smith, died May 20, 1889, in Litchfield.
Eliza E., born March 31, 1814, married Albert Hebard, died August 22, 1871 in Minnesota.
Ethan B., born March 26, 1817, married Lucinda Horton, died October 15, 1869, in Ulster.
Sarah A., born December 6, 1819, married Francis S. Ayer, died September 30, 1868 in Sheshequin.
Timothy Culver, a patriot of the Revolution, was born December 29, 1741 at Woodbury, Conn.; came to Sheshequin about 1792-'93. On May 21, 1761 he enlisted for the Colonial campaign in the company of Captain Platt of Suffolk county, N.Y. In 1775 he enlisted under Captain Trowbridge in Colonel Wooster's regiment and served seven months. He soon re-entered the service, joining the regiment of Colonel Elmore under Captain Parmele, in which command he served one year. In 1778 he finally enlisted in the regiment of Colonel Welles, under Captain Judd, and served until the close of the war. He had entered the service as a private, but earned the rank of sergeant before his discharge. In one of the engagements with the enemy he was captured, and while a prisoner with others was compelled to unload a cargo of salt. The sacks in which the salt was packed were very heavy. These he was required to carry upon his back from the ship. So persistently was he kept at work that the flesh was fairly ground off his back, making great sores which were long in healing. The scars he carried to his grave, but he never forgave nor forgot the British for their cruelty. After the close of the war, Sergeant Culver married Rebecca Clark and settled on the Calneska in New York. Here he reared a family of children, who married as follows:
Ruby married Isaac Rosen;
Timothy, Jr. married Lovina Boyce;
Rebecca, born 1774, died October 17, 1866, married Enos Slosson;
Amasa, born October 1, 1775, died July 11, 1842, married Hannah Coats and had children, Sally (Mrs. Ephraim Fuller), Hiram Leander (m. Dolly Bottom), Lovina (Mrs. Joseph Gee), Content (Mrs. Walter C. Bottom), Charles Frederick (m. 1st Charlotte Slosson, 2nd Marie Marsh), Amasa, Jr. (m. Annette Blackman);
Fanny married William Allington;
Luanna married Amasa Cook.
His wife having died, Sergeant Culver removed to Buckville; subsequently became acquainted with and married Mary Brink, sister of Benjamin Brink, a Revolutionary soldier, residing in Sheshequin. He was a carpenter by occupation and did the building in the new settlement. He is remembered as a kindly, genial old gentleman, highly esteemed by all his neighbors. In his closing years he was given a pension by the government, which he had served so faithfully and well. He died September, 1829, aged 88 years, and is buried in the Hornbrook cemetery beside his wife.
The children of Timothy and Mary (Brink) Culver were:
James married Margaret French, died in Tuscarora. Children: Daniel, Harriet, Mary, Aaron B., Timothy, Adolphus, Josephine, Jarvis J. and Margaret.
Charity married 1st David Thindy, 2nd Anthony Middaugh, by whom she had four sons and five daughters.
Daniel Bunnell, born April 19, 1807, married Josephine Horton,
died August 5, 1856. Children: Lafayette J., Hiram L., James P., Orrin
D., Emily (Mrs. L. H. Kilmer) and Mahlon.
Elijah Head about the year 1792-'93 moved in on pack-horses from Dutchess county, N.Y., settling what was afterwards known as the Daniel Bowman place, Towanda township. Becoming tired of the privations in the new country, he determined to look for a more favorable location. For this purpose he went into the state of New York where he was accidentally killed. He had married Catharine, daughter of Major James Swartwout, and had two children. His widow afterwards married Henry Salisbury, Jr. of Monroe.
George Head, also from Dutchess county, with a large family, came to Monroe, 1793-'94. Of his children were Alexander, Benjamin, George, John, Samuel and Catharine, the wife of Henry Salisbury, Sr. Mr. Head died about 1800. John and Benjamin lived at Greenwood some years, where the latter was killed by lightning.
George, Jr. married Jane, daughter of James Campbell and lived on Sugar creek several years. They had two sons and ten daughters: Betsy married Daniel Lenox of Ulster; Hannah married John Ross, Burlington; Polly married Hoyt Ballard, Burlington; Jane married Mr. Dodge, Columbia; Sally married Mr. Comfort, Springfield; Catharine married Samuel Carr, Alfred, N.Y.; Amy lived in New York state; Rachel married a Mr. Ward, lived in New York state. James and George both went West.
The Kingsburys are supposed to have been of Scotch-Irish origin, having fled from the oppressions of the Old World to New England in the latter part of the 16th century.
Joseph Kingsbury, son of Lemuel Kingsbury, a farmer, was born May 19, 1774 at Enfield, Conn. He received a good education and familiarized himself with the rules of surveying. At the age of 19, he bade adieu to his friends in the East, and with a horse, a small sum of money and a compass, turned his face towards the Susquehanna to find a home and employment. He arrived at Sheshequin in the Spring of 1793, and at once engaged with General Spalding as a surveyor.
This service ultimately led to his appointment as an agent for the vast landed estate of Vincent LeRay de Chaumont. In 1797, Mr. Kingsbury was united in marriage with Anna, daughter of General Spalding. Upon the death of the latter, he became the owner of the old homestead containing the original mansion, and resided there until the close of his life. He filled many local positions of trust and responsibility, and for a number of years was colonel of Militia of his district and postmaster at Sheshequin. He was the first commissioners' clerk of the county.
Colonel Kingsbury's biographer says: "He was a man of marked characteristics. Possessed of more than ordinary ability by nature, he had brought to the storehouse of his information large additions by thought and reflection, gained from extensive reading and observation. In the field of political discussion he was an adversary of acknowledged force. He was bold, terse and argumentative as a writer; modest, timid and reserved as a speaker. In disputes among the early settlers, he exercised an extensive influence, and by individual appeal as agent, he was instrumental in getting the interests abated from their land contracts by the foreign owners. He became connected at an early day with the Masonic fraternity and held a leading position in the order. From an early period to his death, he was a member and generous contributor to the religious denomination of Universalists. Exercising charity to all and including principles of morality and integrity in all around him, he strove to lay the foundation of good principles in the community and among those, who, with him had opened up the forests to the sunlight and let in the genial rays upon the hearts and homes of the pioneer settlers. He was of fine presence, tall and strongly built. His wife was a most amiable lady and bore well her part in the scenes of his active and useful life. Their home was the seat of a most generous and refined hospitality." Colonel Kingsbury died January 22, 1849, and his wife, September 18, 1864. Their children were:
Mary, born August 17, 1799, married Allen Smith and spent her last days in Towanda, died December 25, 1887.
Almira, born February 13, 1801, married Charles Comstock, died April 4, 1882 in Athens.
Byron, born March 20, 1803, married Wealthy Ann, daughter of Avery Gore, died September 3, 1859 in Towanda. He was the father of Hon. W. Wallace Kingsbury and Adolphus H. Kingsbury.
Burton, born March 30, 1805, married Rowena, daughter of Hon. George Scott, successfully engaged in business, Towanda, where he died June 15, 1871.
(Portrait of Col. Joseph Kingsbury)
Ann Eliza, born August 20, 1807, married Ira H. Stephens, died November 11, 1866, in Towanda.
Henry, born February 3, 1810, married Matilda Clisby, died June 28, 1887 in Towanda.
Joseph, born July 2, 1813, married Matilda, daughter of Col. Hiram Mix, was merchant, Deputy Collector of U.S. Internal Revenue, and treasurer and secretary of Towanda borough over 25 years, died May 1, 1895 in Towanda.
Marion, born September 30, 1815, married Hon. George Sanderson, died June 23, 1886, in Scranton, Pa.
Helen Mar, born July 11, 1819, married M. C. Mercur, died April 8, 1841 in Towanda.
Lemuel S., born September 14, 1823, married Sarah Osborne, died May 9, 1902 on the homestead.
James Braffit and Gamaliel Jaqua, single young men, came from Connecticut to Burlington, 1792. Braffit began improvements on the J. F. Morley farm and erected thereon (about 1804) the first framed house in the township. He married Rebecca Gore, whose mother was the second wife of Benjamin Clark of Ulster. Mr. Braffit died and his widow married Joseph Bloom and occupied the farm. Jaqua married Eleanor, daughter of James Campbell, but did not remain many years in the town.
John Bradshaw, who had married Abigail, daughter of John Keeler, came in company with his brother-in-law, Elisha Keeler, from Connecticut to Pike, 1793. He settled next to Abraham Taylor and died, 1814. His widow, who survived him many years, and her sons, Salmon and William, afterwards occupied the place.
William married Polly, daughter of Abraham Taylor, and had children: William Miner, Polly, John, Daniel, Betsy (Mrs. Whitaker) and Clarinda (Mrs. Whitaker).
Isaac Bronson (Brownson), born July 27, 1758, in Connecticut, enlisted, 1775, at New Milford in the American army, and served with the rank of adjutant as "Sea Coast Guard" during the greater part of the war. He was in the battle at Trenton. In 1793, in company with Elisha Keeler, he brought his family into the wilds of Pennsylvania. From Pike he pushed up Wyalusing creek to the Forks, where he located, being the first settler in what is now Rush, Susquehanna county. Here he lived for nearly forty years amidst the perils and battling with the wild woods. He was prominent in the affairs of the new country, and was for several years a justice of the peace. In his declining years he removed with his wife to Bradford county and lived with his daughter, Mrs. Benjamin Babcock, in Windham. Here he died August 23, 1853, in his 96th year. "In all his civil and social relations he was an honorable and useful citizen." Mr. Bronson had married Joanna Beardslee, who was born February 28, 1764, died October 24, 1842. Both are buried in Babcock Hill cemetery. Their children were:
Dr. Myron located at Joliet, Ill.
Elisha settled in Windham, Bradford county.
Isaac and John lived in Rush.
Theron died in Texas.
Laura married Mr. Goodsell, Appalachin, N.Y.
Anna married Benjamin Babcock of Windham.
Betsy married George Claggett, the first tailor of Montrose. She was the mother of the late Dr. William L. Claggett of Standing Stone.
Samuel Luckey of Sussex county, N.J., who had assisted in the survey of the State line westward from Athens, came to Pike, 1793. He built a house, cleared a piece of land, planted some corn and the next year moved in with his family. He was twice married and had two daughters by each wife. The daughters of Samuel Luckey married as follows: Temperance to Joseph Pierce; Sally to Alba Bosworth; Jane to Samuel Brown; Emeline to Nelson P. Bosworth.
Elijah Towner was born, 1759, at Danbury, Conn. He was a son of Abraham Towner, who died on Lake Champlain during the old French war. Elijah joined the American army and served under Arnold. He was taken prisoner on Lake Champlain, but was paroled and returned home. He, however, again joined the patriot army and continued in the service as a teamster until the close of the Revolution. He subsequently was given a pension by the government. While residing at Danbury he married Mary Knapp. From here he removed to New Lebanon, Columbia county, N.Y., where he lived a number of years. In 1793, in company with his second son, Enoch, he came to Sheshequin and stopped at General Spalding's, where he left Enoch and returned for his family, which the year following he brought to the Susquehanna. He came over the Catskills, reaching the river at Wattle's ferry, where he built a boat on which he loaded his family and household goods, and floated down with the current. In the journey the boat was nearly capsized on a snag, and many of the goods lost, but the family arrived safely. Enoch had sowed 13 acres of grain for General Spalding, his share of which was sufficient to support the family the first year of their settlement. Mr. Towner purchased 400 acres of Thayer, paying 400 Spanish milled dollars for the land and located it in the center of the Connecticut town of "Watertown," which was a little east of Towner Hill, on what was afterwards known as the Upham farm. His title proving worthless, he abandoned it and commenced clearing up a farm on Oak Hill. He improved 100 acres and put up a distillery, which he operated several years. The land coming into the hands of LeRay, he traded, 1806, his improvements for 300 acres, on what is now known as Towner Hill. Here he settled permanently and died October 7, 1840, in his 82nd year. His wife died February 21, 1841, aged 80 years, 6 months and 18 days. They rest in Towner cemetery. Their children were:
Ezra married Jane, daughter of Leonard Westbrook (page 191), died in 1804, leaving two sons and a daughter.
Enoch, born October 1, 1781, married Elizabeth, daughter of James Moore, died May 19, 1874 on Towner Hill. They had six sons and seven daughters.
Abraham married Lovina, daughter of Thaddeus Hemenway, removed to Ohio, where he died, 1857, aged 76 years.
John married a New London lady, died October 17, 1863, on Towner Hill, aged 78 years. He had four sons and two daughters.
Gersham married Sarah, daughter of Thaddeus Hemenway. He was a soldier, War of 1812; worked at blacksmithing many years at Center Valley, where he died. He had seven children.
Elijah, Jr. married Alma, daughter of John M. Hicks. He is remembered as a "splendid singer." He removed to Indiana, where he died. He had four sons and four daughters.
Anna died unmarried past 80 years.
Joseph married Amelia Pratt, was a celebrated Methodist preacher, died April 12, 1854, aged 57 years. He had four sons and four daughters. This family is noted in the music world as composers and singers.
Olive married Russell Pratt. She was the mother of four sons, all physicians, and four daughters.
Elizabeth married George Billings, and was the mother of five sons and three daughters.
Benjamin married Deborah Rose; he was a preacher and fine singer--"could sing for 24 hours without repeating a song"; he had three sons and four daughters, died, 1866, at Mansfield, Pa.