The Turrell Family is an old and prominent one in America, and of at least two branches, there are numerous descendants in Bradford county. Roger Turrell of Nasing, Essex county, England, came over in the ship Lion landing at Boston in May, 1632. In 1635 he was at Wethersfield and participated in the Pequod war. He went with the Eaton-Davenport company to New Haven, 1638, and was one of the founders of Milford, 1639. He married, 1639, Abigail, daughter of Thomas and Isabel (Camp) Ufford. He died, 1782, aged 72 at Milford, leaving sons, Daniel and John. Daniel (1st), born May 16, 1652, married Mary, daughter of Deputy Governor Thomas and Ruth (Clark) Fitch of Norwalk. Their son, Daniel (2nd), born December 3, 1688, married Zeruah, daughter of Jeremiah and Mrs. Alice (Hine) Canfield. They had sons, James and Daniel (3rd).
Capt. James Turrell, born May 10, 1716, served on a committee of Inspection and Correspondence, also on a committee to procure supplies for the soldiers of the Continental army during the Revolution.
He married June 22, 1741, Abigail Buck of New Milford, Conn. They had children:
Ebenezer, born April 3, 1742, married Lois Hall of Shoreham, Vermont.
James, Jr., born December 31, 1744, married Sarah Bradshaw of New Milford, died May 2, 1812. Their children were: Urania, born April 2, 1769, married February 7, 1789, Wareham Kingsley (pg. 102), died June 23, 1837; children: Lydia (Mrs. Jabez Brown), Roswell, Nathan, Chester B., Abigail, Rocalina, Orrin; Mary married Ephraim Lyon; Abigail married May 21, 1795, David Walter; Leman, born July 5, 1776, married March 5, 1797, Lucy Turrell; Rachel, born January 11, 1779, married March 2, 1800, David Noble, died April 21, 1836; William, born February 28, 1781, married Sylvia Benedict; James Beebe, born June 20, 1785, married Phebe Turrell; Sarah, born August 15, 1791, married Riley Peet, died August 6, 1862.
Mary, born November 10, 1746, married Thomas Lewis (pg. 149) and spent her closing days in Bradford county.
Zeruah, born April 25, 1752, married Ebenezer Pickett, an early settler of Rush, Susquehanna county, died, 1808.
Anna, born April 8, 1754, married Samuel Hill.
Phebe, born June 20, 1756, married a Mr. Pepper.
Rachel, born May 1, 1758, married a Mr. Ball of Massachusetts.
Job, born April 27, 1760, married December 9, 1781, Keziah York (pg. 99), and was a prominent pioneer of Wyalusing.
Abigail, born June 30, 1762, married, 1787, Reuben Wells (pg. 103), and spent her last days in Susquehanna county.
Beebe and one other son evidently died young.
Daniel Turrell (3rd), born December 12, 1620, at New Milford, married Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Northrup) Baldwin. Their children were:
Abel, born October 16, 1752, married March 24, 1774, Jerusha Peet. Their children were: Abel, Jr., born November 18, 1774, married Silena Owens; Lucy, born June 1, 1776, married Leman Turrell of Forest Lake, Susquehanna county; children: Britannia (Mrs. Adolphus Olmstead), Stanley married Ruth A. Thatcher, Joel married 1st Patty Griffis, 2nd Mrs. Mary (Woodruff) Gilbert, Leman M. married Lovina Griffis, Lucy Ann (Mrs. Abner Griffis), Abel married Adelia Catlin; James married Hannah Guernsey; Joel, born July 16, 1778, married Betsy Wood; Lyman, born June 4, 1780, married Katy Knapp, died January 28, 1855; Amy, born July 26, 1784, married November, 1815, Alpheus Fuller; Urania, born September 21, 1786, married 1st Cyril Peck, 2nd Benjamin Stalford, died
June 14, 1868; Daniel, born April 4, 1789, married Charlotte Maloney; Polly, born December 17, 1795, married Judson Stone; Phebe, born June 29, 1798, married Samuel Hawes.
Daniel married January 28, 1789, Temperance York (pg. 99) and was an early and prominent settler of Wyalusing.
Joel was a soldier of the Revolution; had children, Phebe and Esther.
Mary married Capt. Joab Pickett, an early settler of Rush.
Sarah and Jane were other children.
Joshua Wythe was an officer in the war for American Independence and served faithfully seven years. As a resident of Boston he was burned out in the great fire of that city about 1791, and soon after removed to the lake region of central New York to find a home and retrieve his fortunes. Here the family was sorely afflicted by the ills incident to that region, and Mr. Wythe left, coming to Towanda in pursuit of a more favorable locality for a home. He purchased of John Heath on Towanda creek (pg. 135) and moved here with his family, 1794. Mrs. Wythe, who was formerly Miss Elizabeth Brewer of Cambridge, died in 1805. Mr. Wythe afterwards returned to Boston, married a second wife and emigrated to Ohio. He died at Cincinnati. The children of Joshua and Elizabeth Wythe were: Susanna, Elisha, Joshua, George, Harriet, Mary, Prentice, Francis, Nancy, Elizabeth, Henry and Fanny.
Susanna married a Mr. Leonard and moved West.
Elisha married Nancy Salisbury and removed to Delaware county, Ohio.
Joshua married Hannah Pond and went West with his brother.
George learned the printer's trade and finally settled in Kentucky.
Harriet married John Bates and lived at Covington, Ky.
Mary married 1st Daniel Gilbert, 2nd Major Oliver Dodge of Franklin.
Isaiah Grover, a soldier of the Revolution, who had served as a private in the company of John Hastings under Col. Henry Jackson of the Massachusetts line from March, 1781, until December, 1783, found his way into what is now Smithfield, Bradford county, 1792. He held a Connecticut claim and came with his family. He built a cabin and began improvements, the first in the township. His location was in the wilderness several miles from his nearest neighbor. It is related that when the surveyors cane to run out the lands, "the Grover children alarmed at their strange faces, scattered like a brood of young partridges when disturbed." Grover sold his claim to Reuben Mitchell
and in 1798 moved to Canton township, where he remained until about 1821 when he moved to Ohio. He had married, 1776, Elizabeth Grover, his cousin, at Hartford, Conn. He died June 12, 1829, aged 73 years in Scioto county, Ohio. He drew a pension, which was continued to his widow after his death.
Reuben Mitchell, born November 10, 1752 at Gloucester, R.I., married January 10, 1776, Elizabeth Smith, also of Gloucester. In 1794, he came with his family as a settler, Connecticut title, to Smithfield. After having purchased the improvement of Mr. Grover, he and his family were alone in the wilderness about four years before other settlers arrived. His privations and hardships were many and severe, but he struggled on, cleared and improved a fine farm. He erected the first framed house in the town. His boys were great trappers. They caught many bears and frequently a panther. It is related, that on a certain run they set their traps for Bruin and caught a bear each night, seven in succession. Mrs. Mitchell, born June 17, 1757, died June 3, 1827. After her death, Mr. Mitchell went West to live with a daughter, with whom he died at an advanced age. They had twelve children, as follows:
Urania, married March 20, 1798, William Buck of Ulster, being Smithfield's first bride; removed West.
Reuben, Jr. died June 17, 1862 in Smithfield, unmarried.
Hannah died in childhood, November 12, 1800.
Welcome was a deaf mute and finally became totally blind. He was a study for the remarkable things he performed. He died March 16, 1856, aged 76 years.
Edward married Betsy Kelly of Smithfield.
Anson married Diana Kelly of Smithfield.
Elizabeth married a Mr. Hadlock.
Samantha married Ezra Califf of Smithfield.
Erastus died in childhood, November 4, 1799, being the first death in Smithfield.
Jonathan died September 1, 1868 in Smithfield, unmarried.
Asenath died January 2, 1856, unmarried.
George Washington, born February 3, 1799, was the first white child to see the light in Smithfield; married Mary Ames of Smithfield.
Thus in this family we have the first marriage, the first birth and the first death in the town.
Rev. John Smith of Dighton, Mass., who had purchased lands, Connecticut title, in what is now Wells township, Bradford county, came thereto with his family, 1792, being the first settler in that town.
He had stopped at Canandaigua for a time and there organized the first Congregational church in western New York. Mr. Smith was a man of learning and the first Christian minister in western Bradford. "The word of the Lord was precious in those days," and the newcomers would journey long distances by marked trees to hear him preach. After a few years he moved to Kentucky.
Nathaniel Allen, who was of English descent, was born on Long Island, 1761. During the Revolution he enlisted in the 1st regiment of Minute Men, Suffolk county militia. He fell into the hands of the British and was held a prisoner two years, or until the close of the war. Having learned surveying, he became land-agent and surveyor for the Connecticut Company and made the original survey of the greater portion of the wilderness of western Bradford. Under the original title, he became himself the owner of three townships, but finally was obliged to relinquish his claim, the proprietaries of Pennsylvania having been given the right of title. Subsequently, he purchased 1,000 acres of good title, an abundant field for his activity and enterprise. Mr. Allen located on Sugar Creek, 1793, at first on the Pratt place, West Burlington, and a couple of years later on his purchase at East Troy. On his property he erected a saw and grist-mill, which was a great convenience to the settlers for many miles around. He was a man of decided enterprise. His superior ability was recognized and in 1800 he was commissioned a justice of the peace, an office he filled with credit and honor many years. Upon the organization of Burlington township, he was made its first supervisor and successively re-elected a number of times. Soon after the setting off of Burlington, the event was celebrated at the home of Mr. Allen by a barbecue and dance. In 1815 he was elected county commissioner and served a term of three years. He filled other positions of honor and trust, and was one of our most noted men of early times. Mr. Allen married Lydia, daughter of Ebenezer Stevens, a soldier of the Revolution. He died, 1839, and is buried beside his wife in the East Troy cemetery. Their children were:
Adolphus became a physician and removed to Illinois.
Laura married 1st Dr. Horace LeBarron, 2nd Benjamin McKean of Columbia.
Samuel married Miranda, daughter of James Sheffield, Madison county, N.Y., and occupied the homestead. Children: Darwin N., Lydia M. (Mrs. Monroe Jones), and Adolphus G.
Alma married Ezra Canfield.
Lucy married Howard Spalding of Troy.
Moses Calkins, son of John, was a direct descendant of Hugh Calkins, who settled at New London, Conn. in 1638. As a mere boy, Moses served his country in the struggle for Independence. He spent his early life at Duanesburg, Schenectady county, N.Y., where he married, about 1784, Thankful Stevens. In 1793 he came to Sugar Creek, selected lands about a half mile west of present West Burlington, made some improvements and prepared a home for his family, which he brought in the next year. He was a blacksmith by occupation and pursued that business in connection with farming. For a period he was the recognized medical authority on the "Creek" and did the vaccinating for smallpox with the "real thing" (kine-pox virus then unknown) and "taking through," as it was called, a whole neighborhood at a time. With hand-made turn-keys, he pulled the aching teeth for old and young, a branch of dentistry which was afterwards taken up by his sons.
Mr. Calkins was an ardent Baptist and the first to locate on Sugar Creek. He was a deacon for many years and was widely known as "Deacon Calkins." Being in prosperous circumstances he was often called upon for help. One morning a rather shiftless character called and said, "Deacon Calkins, is it not a part of your religion to help the poor?" "Oh yes," said the Deacon. "But, Morehouse, there are three kinds of poor: The Lord's poor, the Devil's poor and the poor devils, which are you?" Morehouse quickly departed without an explanation. Deacon Calkins died 1835-'36, aged 73 years, and his wife some years later. Both are buried in Hilton cemetery. They had six sons and four daughters, as follows:
Zera died in young manhood, unmarried.
Joel married Laura, daughter of Ezekiel Leonard of Springfield, and had a family of eight children. He died August 18, 1867, aged 82 years, in West Burlington.
James married Huldah Dewey of Sullivan, Tioga county; died in middle life in Wells township; had two sons and four daughters.
John married Jane, daughter of James McKean, settled in Columbia, 1817, where he died, 1879, in his 90th year; had two sons. His grandson, J.H. Calkins, occupies the farm.
Moses married Eveline Braffit, moved to Ohio where he died, being the last survivor of the sons; had four sons and one daughter.
Oliver married Julia, daughter of Truman Merry, and occupied the homestead; had one son and two daughters.
Lucy married Benjamin McKean, died September 4, 1828, aged 35 years, in Towanda, while her husband was sheriff; had two sons and one daughter.
Abby married Lyman Leonard of Springfield, and with him espoused the Mormon faith, following the fortunes of that sect to Nauvoo and Salt Lake; had one son and a daughter.
Thankful ("Sophie") married Myron Ballard, reared a large family and died in Columbia (pg. 224).
Amanda married Orrin P. Ballard of Troy; had one son.
Martin Stratton, a millwright and carpenter, who was born near Hartford, Conn., in 1794 with a small kit of tools upon his back, set out to make his fortune in the West. Fate brought him into Bradford county. He took up quarters with Ezra Rutty on Sugar Creek, remained about a year, then married Mr. Rutty's daughter, Rebecca. Going to West Burlington, he entered the employ of the Goddards and built them a grist-mill. Returning to North Towanda, he purchased land at the Pail Factory, on which he settled permanently. On the creek near his home, in company with Cephas Stratton and Jonathan Holcomb, he erected a grist-mill with a single run of stone, which was successfully operated several years. A little later, a saw-mill was built and supplied with power from the same dam. Mr. Stratton, however, gave most attention to clearing and improving his farm, in the labors of which his wife and eldest daughters gave faithful assistance, picking and burning brush, often until late at night. "Captain" Stratton, as he was familiarly called, was a very kind-hearted gentleman, much respected by his neighbors. He died November 3, 1821, aged 63 years, and his wife December 20, 1837, aged 60 and 1/2 years. Both rest in Riverside cemetery. Their children were:
Hannah married Anson Simons of Ulster, removed to Indiana.
Betsy married John Bloom of Burlington.
Mary married George W. Simons, removed to Indiana.
Hiram married Olive Stewart, removed to Ohio, thence Missouri where he died.
Samuel married Euphrania Foster and occupied the homestead.
Esther married Loren Kingsbury of Ulster.
Caroline married John Muncy, removed to Indiana.
Martha married Thomas Hawkins of North Towanda.
Cephas, Surager and Timothy Stratton, brothers of Martin, soon followed him to Sugar Creek. Cephas and Timothy remained in the county a few years, then removed to Ohio. Surager followed coopering, also went West.
The Chintz Family were colored people and the first to locate in Sheshequin. They settled near Judge Gore in or before 1792. Of the family, Jacob, Peter and Phebe are remembered.
Joseph Salisbury, who was a shoemaker by occupation, came to the Hornbrook settlement, 1794. He purchased the John Newell property and was somewhat prominent in public affairs. In 1803 he sold out and removed to the state of New York.
Christopher Avery, a native of Connecticut, who served as a private in the Revolutionary war under Captain Williams in Colonel Webb's regiment of the Connecticut line from 1781 till the close of the war, came to Sheshequin about 1792 and lived with his brother-in-law, Judge Gore. He enjoyed the benefits of a pension. He never married and was familiarly known as "Uncle Kit." He died May 3, 1830, in his 71st year, and is buried in the Gore cemetery.
Barnabas Clark, said to have been a native of Ireland, after coming to this country lived for a time at Long Island. He had married Polly Manley, also born in Ireland. Soon after 1790 he came to Standing Stone, settling in the Fitzgerald neighborhood. Here he died previous to 1804, and was probably buried in the Huyck cemetery. His wife survived him some years and died with her son in Rome. They had children:
Mehitable married John Birney and lived at Wyalusing.
Henry, when a young man, drifted into the Lake country and was never afterwards heard from.
Eliphalet married Lois, daughter of John Parks, and settled in Rome. He was a soldier, War of 1812. He died December 10, 1858, in his 85th year, and his wife March 26, 1846, aged 66 years. Their children, who married as follows, were: Eliza to Henry Lent; Nancy died unmarried; Harry to Ellen Brown; Esther 1st to Hiram Miller, 2nd to Eliphalet Marsh; Barney to Rachel Cahill.
Samuel Gordon of Scotch descent was born, 1740, near Balibay, County Monaghan, Ireland. Leaving his native land, he came to America in company with two brothers and a Mr. Gillespie. For a time he followed the sea, then settled at Elizabeth, N.J. In 1775 he was appointed official surveyor for Westmoreland by the Connecticut Assembly, and during 1776-'77 he spent some time in the neighborhood of Wyalusing making surveys under direction of the Susquehanna Company. In 1778 he "became interested in an expedition to discover the situation and number of Tories and hostile Indians at or near Tioga and signed a memorial to that effect, which was sent to the General Assembly of Connecticut. He was not in active duty as a soldier but in the commissary department." During the Sullivan campaign, 1779, he served in the company of Capt. Moody Dustin, 1st New Hampshire regiment. In 1792 he came to Wyalusing, and in 1793-'94 built a grist-mill on Wyalusing Creek at or near the present West's Mill at Black's Bridge. Large tracts of land were assigned to him, but owing to the invalidity of Connecticut titles, he lost everything. He was for many years the efficient clerk of the township.
Mr. Gordon had married Mrs. Jane Gillespie (originally Jane Marsh), who was born, 1751, in Ireland. He died, 1810, and she, 1842. Both are buried in the Wyalusing cemetery. Their children, who married as follows, were: Jane married Amos Hulbert, died November 6, 1806, aged 26 years, left a son, Amos, who married Betsy Coolbaugh; Clarry married Lloyd Ackley, died June 26, 1825, aged 37 years; Nancy married Ebenezer Lamb, died 1866, aged 82 years; Mary, born June 25, 1789, married Solomon Keeney, died June 30, 1877 at Erie, Mich.; Catherine died young.
The Smileys are of Scotch origin. One branch of the family came from Ireland early in the 18th century, settling first on Arrow Creek, Lancaster county, and afterwards in Hanover, Dauphin county, Pa. John Smiley, who served in the French and Indian war, married Ann (Houten) Stuart and had children: Thomas, John, James, Samuel, William, Robert, Janet, Ann, Catharine and Mary.
Thomas Smiley, born May 17, 1759 at Hanover, Dauphin county, served in the Lancaster county Militia, war of the Revolution, during the years 1778-'82. He became a Baptist preacher, and in 1794 came to Bradford county, locating at Wyalusing. He traveled over a large section of country preaching and ministering to the little flocks in the wilderness. In 1799 he moved up Towanda Creek, locating at West Franklin, where he was pastor of the Baptist church eight years.
In 1801 Col. Abraham Horn was appointed agent for the Pennsylvania landholders to put the "Intrusion Law" in force. In June he came into Bradford county, but apprehending danger from the violent opposition of the people, stopped at Asylum. Rev. Thomas Smiley had been appointed a deputy agent and furnished with the necessary papers. By July 7th he had obtained the signatures of nearly forty settlers to their relinquishments (Connecticut title) and submissions, and started for Asylum. A meeting was held and the "Wild Yankees" determined that the business must be stopped. About twenty men from Sugar Creek, Ulster and Sheshequin, armed and disguised, started in pursuit. Mr. Smiley, hearing the arrangements of the conspirators, went down to Joshua Wythe's near Monroeton, where he remained until dark, and then stopped for the night at Jacob Grantier's, near the mouth of Towanda Creek. The party, learning of his lodging place, followed him, broke into his room, compelled him to burn his papers, took him near the creek, poured a bottle of tar over his head and beard, then adding feathers, after giving him a kick told him he might go, but must leave the country. Several were arrested for participation in this ignominious affair, but the proof being insufficient, "not a true bill" was returned by the grand jury. It was asserted, also, that the man who carried the bottle of tar was one of the jurors who acted in the case. In 1819 the legislature granted Mr. Smiley $250 in compensation for his sufferings.
About 1808, Mr. Smiley removed to White Deer Valley, Lycoming county, where he was the beloved pastor of the Baptist church until his death, 1832. He had married Nancy, daughter of John Tucker, who was born January 22, 1762 near Trenton, N.J. Their children were:
John, born February 5, 1783 at Hanover, Pa., married Susanna, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Wilcox) Stone of Franklin, died in Canton, June 5, 1822. Their children, who married as follows, were: John Milton to Jane Watts and had children, Joseph M., David, Nancy, John, George and Mary; Stuart married Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Fairbanks, and had children: Susan Ann (Mrs. Jonathan Black), Malvina (1st Mrs. Judson Stone, 2nd Mrs. Hurd), Thomas J., Adelia (Mrs. Miller), Dette, Leslie, Charles, Adelbert E., George D., Frank B., Fred and William; Elizabeth married David Allen of Franklin; Thomas T. married 1st Lydia Allen, 2nd Lydia A. Ridgway and died at Monroeton; Benjamin S. married 1st Eliza Pickard, 2nd Lorinda Putnam, died at East Troy; Nancy married 1st DeWitt Burnham, 2nd Robert McKee of Franklin; Joseph M. married Clarissa Wright, died at Canton; David married Phebe Ann Holcomb, lived at West Franklin.
Mrs. John Smiley married for her second husband Nehemiah Allen of West Franklin.
Anna, born December 31, 1784, married Elijah Tracy, died in Wysox.
David, born September 29, 1786, married Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen and Joanna Latimer of Franklin, and had children: Nancy, Stephen L., Jackson, Eliza, David and Washington; removed to Ohio.
William, born February 15, 1790, settled in Crawford county, Pa.
Harriet, at the age of 4 years, November 4, 1797, was drowned in the river at Wyalusing.
Thomas, Jr., born November 15, 1795, became a physician and practiced in Philadelphia.
Harriet, born July 14, 1798, married 1st James Geddes and had children, Jane and James; married 2nd John C. Laird and had children, Thomas L., James H., Matthew M., Ann S., David, Mary R. and Harriet.
Eliza Eunice, born November 24, 1800, died March 4, 1839, unmarried.
John Gordon was a son of James Gordon, who was a brother of Samuel, a Wyalusing pioneer. James came to the county soon after his brother, settling at Frenchtown where he remained and kept a ferry until after the arrival of the French. John married Mary, daughter of Henry Birney, and located near his father-in-law in Standing Stone.
Here he spent his days clearing and improving his land and conducting a distillery, and died August 31, 1841, aged 65 years. His wife died August 29, 1819, aged 35 years. Their children were:
James never married, occupied a portion of the homestead and had a distillery.
George married Rebecca Terry and lived at Frenchtown.
Samuel was a saddler by occupation, and for a time had a shop in Towanda; died unmarried.
Hiram died on the homestead, unmarried.
Hart married Sarah, daughter of George Vanness; died on the farm now occupied by his son, Lawrence.
John married Sarah Smith of Ulster; died in Standing Stone.
Sally married John Taylor of Wyalusing.
Ellen married Harris Murray of Athens.
Jane married George Hollenback and died in Owego.
Hettie died on the homestead, unmarried.
Weltha married Charles Rockwell of Ulster.
Beckie married Albert Newell and died at Owego.
Rachel married Harry Hollenback (brother of George) and died at Barton, N.Y.
Polly died in young womanhood, unmarried.
Silas F. Andrews (Andrus) was a native of Connecticut and son of Ebenezer Andrews, one of the original proprietors of certified Springfield, whose claim was on the Sugar Run in Wilmot. After the death of his father, he came to Wilmot about 1793, and built a grist mill with a single run of stones and a saw mill with an up-and-down saw. Both, though small concerns, were very serviceable to the early settlers. Mr. Andrews was an active and enterprising business man. He married Patty, daughter of Jesse Hancock of Wyalusing. About 1800 he sold to William Brindle and moved away.
Samuel Seeley, a patriot of the Revolution, in his declaration for a pension, stated that "about June 1, 1775, he enlisted at Big Island, Northumberland county, Pa., for the term of one year in the rifle company commanded by John Loudon in the regiment of Col. William Thompson of the Pennsylvania line; that he continued in the said corps until the month of June, 1776, when he was discharged from the service on York island in the state of New York; that about August 1, 1778, he again enlisted in the regiment commanded by Col. William Cook of the Pennsylvania line for three years, but by some mistake was returned for during the war and held until the summer of 1783, when he was returned and discharged at Philadelphia." After the war he married
(Portrait of Col. Julius Tozer)
Deborah, sister of Richard Benjamin of Orange county, N.Y. Benjamin settled in Asylum, 1793. Seeley soon joined him and lived there with considerable moving about until his death, which occurred, 1841, aged 91 years, at Durrell.
Col. Julius Tozer, a devoted friend of the cause of Liberty, who had the distinction of having served his country faithfully in both the Revolutionary war and War of 1812, was born June 16, 1764 at Montville, Conn.
He was the second son of Samuel and Dorothy (Newton) Tozer, whose other children were: Richard, James (both soldiers of the Revolution), Lodemia (Mrs. Jonathan Harris), Susan (Mrs. Joel Murray), Mary (Mrs. Nathaniel Harris). Julius at the age of 16 years enlisted in the artillery branch of the Continental army and served until the close of the war. In 1786 he married Hannah, daughter of Ananias and Alce (Leck) Conkling. In 1791 he removed to Exeter, Luzerne county, and in 1794 to Athens, settling on the Chemung river. He originally purchased 150 acres, cleared a spot for his house, then began the battle with the wild woods. He afterwards purchased an additional 240 acres, and ultimately put up a modern framed dwelling.
Mr. Tozer took an active interest in military affairs and was chosen colonel of the State Militia. During the War of 1812 he raised a company of volunteers, two of his sons, Samuel and Guy, enlisting under him, was made captain and marched to the front. At the battle of Fort Erie he was severely wounded in the hip by a shell. Thus being unfitted for further military service, he returned home. Colonel Tozer was a man of commanding presence; he stood over six feet, and at his best weighed 250 pounds. He was an ardent Free Mason, and an early member of Rural Amity Lodge, in which three succeeding generations of his family have been initiated. Some years prior to his death, cataracts formed in his eyes and he became totally blind. He passed from earth December 7, 1852. His wife, born October 7, 1764, died March 5, 1832. The mother of Colonel Tozer spent her last years with him and died in 1797. The children of Julius and Hannah Tozer were:
Hannah married Hugh Alexander and removed to Illinois.
Alce married Daniel Pierce of Rome.
Samuel removed to Illinois, where he married and died.
Julius, born March 14, 1794, married Meribah, daughter of Richard Tozer, died March 9, 1874 in Athens; had one child, Mary A. (Mrs. John L. Corbin).
Lucy S. married Heathcock Floyd, died in Illinois.
Guy, born March 7, 1799, married Welthia, daughter of Joseph Kinney, was the ninth sheriff of Bradford county, died September, 1877. Children: Helen, Ralph, Lucy (Mrs. David Walker), Guy M., George K., and Charles C.
Albert, born May 30, 1802, married Hiley Bovier, died January 4, 1888; had one child, Samuel.
Susan married 1st William Rice, 2nd James Weed; died in Wisconsin.
Joel Murray, born August 14, 1806, married Elizabeth Gross, died July 3, 1879; had children: Alce (Mrs. Townsend Knowles), Julius, Job R., Sarah F. (Mrs. William H. Matthewson), Ira, Guy M. and Lizzie M.
Cynthia married James Griswold of Southport, N.Y.
Dorothy and Mary Ann both died young.
Stevens Brothers -- Nathan and Aden Stevens came from Connecticut to Pike township, locating at Stevensville in the Spring of 1794. They were sons of Peter Stevens of New Milford, a soldier of the Revolution, who died from the effects of wounds received at the capture of Danbury. He left a large family. Nathan and Aden purchased the possession of Isaac Bronson, lying on both sides of the Wyalusing Creek. Nathan returned to Connecticut and Aden remained, chopped a fallow and put in a piece of grain. In the following Fall, Nathan returned with his family, consisting of his wife, Hannah Warner, and three children. He moved in with two horses and a yoke of oxen. One of the horses was sold for a 20-gallon kettle, and the other fell down an embankment and broke its neck. Three months passed without flour in the house, corn-meal made in the mortar being the only article for bread. Bears, wild-cats and wolves were numerous, and the latter made havoc among the sheep of the settlers. Aden was unmarried when he came to Pike, and for two winters he returned to Connecticut and taught school. The brothers worked together at first, after a few years dividing their land, which they paid for a second time, securing a valid title.
Nathan Stevens was a man of stirring habits and remarkable vigor. He died upon the farm he had cleared and improved, April 6, 1854, aged 86 years. His wife died September 25, 1847, aged 71 years. Their children, who married as follows, were: Myron to Susan Bosworth; Charles to Eunice Hunt; Warner to Nancy Seymour; Nelson and Homer married sisters; Eunice to Isaac Lines; Lucy to Asa Warner.
Aden Stevens, born April 20, 1770, married November 14, 1796, Anise Warner, sister of Mrs. Nathan Stevens. Their children were: Oliver W., Hiram, Cyrus, Anne, Sally. Mrs. Stevens, born November, 1766, died February 6, 1814. Mr. Stevens, February 16, 1815, married Rebecca Purda Somers. Their children were Philena and Peter. "Col. Aden Stevens," as he was popularly known, was an energetic and substantial citizen, commanding the esteem and respect of his fellow townsmen.
He was justice of the peace, colonel of militia, county commissioner and for more than fifty years a member of the Presbyterian church. He died July 28, 1858.
Oliver W. went first to Ohio and afterwards to California, where he engaged in the banking business and amassed a large fortune.
Hiram was a successful farmer, lived and died at Stevensville.
Cyrus married Lydia Ann, daughter of Ebenezer and Zeruah (Northrup) Lacey; occupied the homestead; was a man of fine talents and a worthful citizen. Children: Oliver W., Lydia P. (1st Mrs. Charles Ingham, 2nd Mrs. Ellicott A. Ingham), E. Lacey, Zeruah (Mrs. James Avery), Louisa (Mrs. Frank Taylor) and Dr. Cyrus L.
Anne married Abel Bolles.
Sally married Elkanah Bolles.
Philena married Elisha Lewis of Wyalusing.
Peter went West and died in Kansas.
Samuel Stevens, a brother of Aden and Nathan, subsequently joined them in Pike. He was a shoemaker, tanner and currier. He built a tannery and was the first to carry on the leather manufacture on the Wyalusing. He died September 30, 1844, aged 80 years, leaving a widow, Abia (Brush) and ten children: Irad, John C. (married Maria Bolles), Maria (Mrs. Lyman Turrell), Nathan (married Phebe Scovell), Samuel, Eliza (Mrs. John J. Hyde), Sally, Aden 2nd, Henry L. and Immira (Mrs. Ethiel Taylor).
Jonathan Stevens, a half brother of Samuel, came to Pike with him, remaining until his death, April 1, 1847, aged 75 years. He married Charity Bennett. Their children, who married as follows, were: Orellana to Maria Phelps; Almond to Miss Hancock; Harry to Marion Allis; Charles never married; Harriet to William Dyer; Caroline to Alexander Montgomery; Eliza to Joseph H. Marsh; Emer to John Champion; Orlando.
Paine Brothers --- David, Clement and Enoch Paine were natives of Eastham, Cape Cod, and sons of Thomas and Phebe (Freeman) Paine. They were from the same family as Robert Treat Paine, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and John Howard Payne, the author of "Home, Sweet Home."
David Paine, born March 19, 1768, was in his youth a clerk and school teacher. He was for some time engaged in the land-office of Captain Blodgett at Bennington, and in 1791 was a partner in a store at Canaan, Conn. In 1792 he and his brother, Clement, erected a store and potash factory at Rensselaerville, N.Y., but the enterprise did not prove a success. David came to Tioga Point, 1794, and opened a land-office "with very flattering prospects."
In 1799 he was appointed a justice of the peace. He was postmaster of Athens, 1808-'24. In 1803 he married Phebe Lindsley, sister of Mrs. Ebenezer Backus and Mrs. Stephen Hopkins. After her death, he married, 1823, Anne W. Harding of Portland, Me., an amiable and accomplished lady. He had no children by either marriage. Few homes presented in those days more of refined social enjoyment. He was the first burgess of Athens borough, and with him originated the planting of the beautiful shade trees which adorn the streets. He died September 7, 1851, aged 83 years. "His warm heart and social disposition ever won the esteem and love of those who knew him."
Clement Paine, born August 11, 1769, learned the printing business. In 1791-'92 he was engaged in the office of Claypoole's Daily Advertiser in Philadelphia. He joined his brother, David, at Athens in December, 1794, where they were connected in trade and land operations for ten years. During the earliest years of his business, Clement purchased his stocks of goods principally at Catskill, whence, as for more than twenty years afterwards from New York and Philadelphia, he had them transported in wagons to Athens. Sometimes, however, they came up the river on "Durham boats," which were propelled with poles. In 1812 Mr. Paine was a presidential elector and cast the vote of the district for James Madison and Elbridge Gerry. During the War of 1812 he was active in procuring volunteers for the army, together with arms and supplies for their use. He became the owner of a large amount of real estate, including mills and dwellings in different parts of the county. "He was remarkable among the many who knew him personally for the sound and practical character of his views, the promptness of his dealings and the plainness of his speech and manners."
In 1806 Mr. Paine married Anne Woodbridge, a daughter of Major Theodore Woodbridge of Glastonbury, Conn., an officer of the Revolutionary war. "Mrs. Paine was one of the original members of the Athens Presbyterian church, and remained through life steadfast and active in the cause of religion and humanity. Both in her correspondence and published productions of prose and verse, she cultivated a strong native literary taste, and the recollections of her benevolence and Christian virtues still shed luster upon her memory." She died October, 1834, aged 50 years. Mr. Paine died March, 1849, in his 81st year. They had four sons: Rev. Thomas E. died in Mississippi; James A. died in Iowa; Seth W. and Charles C. lived in Troy.
Enoch Paine followed his brothers to Athens, 1803. When he was about 18 years of age, he was twice taken prisoner on board a privateer by the British during the Revolution.
He subsequently made voyages to South America, Europe and the East Indies, and resided for a time at Cape Francois, West Indies. His friends were often for years without tidings from him. He died, 1815, at Athens, unmarried, aged 51 years.
Matthew Rogers, a native of Ireland, who was a soldier in the British army, came to America during the Revolutionary war. Having been captured, he espoused the American cause and never returned to his native country. He came to Sheshequin, 1794-'95 and settled the farm now known as the Newman place, where he died June 2, 1832, aged 87 years. His wife, Lydia, died July 29, 1857, aged 85 years. They had two daughters and two sons, John S. and Hiram. One of the daughters married Benjamin Brink, Jr. and the other, Orson Carner. John S., born October 17, 1795, married Maria Campbell; occupied the homestead till 1840, when he sold and removed to Litchfield; died January 7, 1879.
Jonas Yoras was a half-blood Indian, who came from the Chemung with the first Sugar Creek colony, 1791. He remained in Burlington some years, but of his further history we are not informed.
Francis Mesusan, a Vermonter, came to the county, 1792-'93, and at first seems to have lived in the vicinity of Sheshequin, where he was employed from time to time by Judge Gore. In 1796 he and Dan Russell were the first to make a break in the great wilderness of what is now Orwell township, moving in with their families. Mesusan settled and made the first improvements on what is known as the Gridley place. After some years he moved to other parts.
John Gamage, a young man of pluck and industry from Massachusetts, reached the Sugar Creek settlement, 1795. He contracted for a piece of land in West Burlington, which by unremitting toil, he cleared, improved and paid for. He was a worthful Christian gentleman. He had married Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen Ballard. They had three children, Wilson, Horatio and Martha. The sons afterwards occupied the place.
Horatio married Julia Ann, daughter of Paul DeWitt, and left one son, W. D. Gamage.
Martha married William Hosmer, for many years editor of the Northern Christian Advocate; died in Susquehanna county.