Page 258 (continued)
The French--During the French Revolution, "Reign of Terror," many citizens of France, in fear of their lives, fled to other parts of Europe and America. A number of these refugees formed a colony and established a settlement in Bradford county.
They called their home in the wilderness "Asylum." It was a place of importance, full of historic interest and existed from 1793 to 1801. The town was laid out with care and consisted of about 50 log houses, the surrounding country being divided into farms. Along the river bank, houses were built for the slaves, which had been brought from San Domingo. The place afforded two stores, two inns, two shops, a horse-power grist-mill, a physician and a nursery; also a chapel in which religious services of the Roman Catholic faith, the first in the county, were held, the priest being M. Carles, assisted by Father Fromente. Of the colonists, some were of noble birth, several had been connected with the king's household, a few belonged to the clergy, some were soldiers, while only very few, if any, were of the laboring class. The Duke de la Rochefoucault Liancourt and Talleyrand, the celebrated French statesman, visited Asylum, 1795, and in 1796, Louis Philippe, afterwards king of France, accompanied by his brothers, the Duke of Montpensier and the Count Beaujolais, tarried a week there while on their way from Niagara to Philadelphia.
Among the more important who lived at Asylum were the following:
|George Aubry||John Keating|
|Lucretius de Blacons||Augustine LaRoue|
|Charles Boulogne||Casinere LaRoue|
|John Brecdelliere||Francis LaRoue|
|Laurence Buzard||Joseph LaRoue|
|Peter Brunert||Anthony Lefevre|
|Louis Beaulieu||Louis Lefevre|
|John Brevost||Bartholomew Laporte|
|M. Carles||James Montulle|
|Mancy Colin||Guy de Noailles|
|Alexander d'Autremont||Louis M. Noailles|
|Widow d'Autremont||Peter Regnier|
|Elijah Fromente||John Rosset|
|Francis Demene||Madame DeSibert|
|Henry Dandelot||Omer Talon|
|Charles Homet||Dupetit Thouars|
Buzard was a physician; Aubry, blacksmith; Blacons, Brecdelliere, A. and F. LaRoue, merchants; Lefevre, Heraud, Brecdelliere, Beaulieu and Regnier, inn-keepers; Keating, assistant and counselor of Talon; Montulle, superintendent of clearings. Sketches of the most noted personages and families that remained in the county, follow:
Louis M. de Noailles was a native of Paris. Very early in life he entered into the military service of his native country and rapidly rose to a position of distinction in the army. When the French government espoused the cause of American independence, the young viscount sought and obtained permission to come to America. Here his great military ability, his ardent zeal for the cause of the colonies, and his unflinching courage won the esteem of both French and American officers, so that a number of times he was complimented for his bravery by Washington in general orders. At the battle of Yorktown he was appointed by Washington to receive on the part of the French, the surrender of Cornwallis, and negotiate the terms of the capitulation. On the conclusion of peace he returned to France. "At the epoch of the Revolution he accepted its principles and was counted among the most zealous defenders of the popular cause." He was a deputy of the nobility to the States General, 1789, and subsequently a member of the National Assembly, where he proposed those celebrated acts by which the whole feudal system, with its long train of abuses and privileges, was abolished. At length, in common with all true republicans, he fell under the displeasure of Robespierre, by whom he was condemned to death and his property confiscated. He, however, escaped to England, thence came to the United States and took up his residence in Philadelphia, where his former active service in the American Revolution brought him into intimate relation with the leading men of the country. In company with Mr. Talon, he succeeded in establishing the Asylum colony and was a prominent shareholder in the Asylum company. On the accession of Napoleon, his estates were restored to him and he returned to France, and again entered the military service and was killed in a naval battle with an English corvette before Havana. His soldiers, by whom he was greatly beloved, enclosed his heart in a silver box, which they attached to their flag.
Antoine Omer Talon was also a native of Paris. At the age of 16 he was accepted as an advocate and rose through various grades to the position of civil lieutenant in 1789. In 1790 he became a member of the National Assembly. He was distinguished for his unflinching defense of the royal prerogative. Compromised by the flight of Louise XVI, he was arrested and imprisoned a month. He then became one of the faithful advisers of the king, with whom he had frequent meetings at the Tuileries, always at night. His name was found in the "Iron Chest," which led to the decree for his arrest. He managed to keep himself secreted for several months, until his friends, finding an American ship about to sail for the United States; he was put into a large cask,
carried on board and secreted in the hold of the vessel, where he was kept until the vessel sailed, when he was released from confinement. In Philadelphia he kept open house for his distressed countrymen, and when the settlement at Asylum had been determined on, he became one of its active promoters, and the general manager of the business at Asylum. He returned to France under the Directory, but was transported for political offenses to the isle of St. Marguerite, 1804, and did not obtain his liberty until 1807. His mind gave way and he died, 1811, at Goetz in his 52nd year.
Aristide Aubert Du-petit Thouars was educated in the military school of Paris. Of a frank, generous disposition and fond of adventure, he was very popular with his companions at school and in arms. He was in the French naval service during a war with England, and after the peace was engaged in cruises to England and elsewhere. Later his interest became aroused in the fate of the missing navigator, La Perouse, and, at great personal sacrifice, he fitted out an expedition to go in search. A fatal malady having carried off one-third his crew, he put into harbor at the island of Ferdinand de Noronha, where the Portuguese seized his vessel, arrested and sent him a prisoner to Lisbon. Immediately on his release he came to America, where being acquainted with Mr. de Noailles, he was induced to come to Asylum. His fine spirit, genial temper and benevolent disposition made him beloved and respected by all who knew him. No one of the French people is so well-remembered as he, and of none are so many anecdotes repeated as of the "Admiral," the name by which he was familiarly known. He obtained a grant of 400 acres of land in the neighborhood of Dushore, and single-handed and alone went four miles beyond any other clearing and commenced an opening in the forest. (Dushore where he began is so called in his memory). On the revocation of the decree of expatriation he returned to France, and was recommended by the most noted naval captains for a place in the French navy. In the expedition to Egypt he was placed in command of Le Tonnant, an old vessel of 80 guns. Having reached its destination, the fleet was on the point of returning, but was detained by the imprudent orders of the general-in-chief. Du-petit Thouars declared they were lost if they awaited Nelson in this unfavorable position, and urged they should sail without delay; but declared, "I do not know what counsels may prevail, but one thing is certain, as soon as I am on deck my colors shall be nailed to the mast." He fought with great bravery against the already victorious enemy, and was slain just at the close of the engagement, August 1, 1798.
Charles Felix Bue Boulogne was one of the conspicuous characters at Asylum. He was a native of Paris, and during our struggle for Independence became one of our enthusiastic admirers, and was one of that large number of young Frenchmen, who came to this country with Lafayette and offered to us his services in the contest. After the war, having become proficient in our language and acquainted with the country and its great advantages, he determined to remain in it. In the early days of Asylum he conducted a large part of the correspondence with the Americans, and seemed to be the general manager of the business. He bought on his own account the Gen. Simon Spalding farm in Standing Stone. He is said to have been drowned about 1796, while trying to ford the Loyalsock creek, and was buried in the little consecrated lot at Asylum.
Louis de Beaulieu, who had formerly been a captain of infantry in the French army and served the Americans with distinction as a lieutenant in Pulaski's Cavalry Legion, remained in this country. He married an English lady, and in 1795 was keeping an inn at Asylum.
John Keating was a native of Ireland. He had distinguished himself in the French service, coming to America, 1792. He was one of the refugees from San Domingo and early became identified with the Asylum enterprise. His admirable business qualities and skill as an interpreter proved invaluable both at the settlement, and in Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia. After the abandonment of the colony he returned to Philadelphia and became interested in other large land transactions. He died at the age of 96, being for some time the last survivor of the officers of the French service during the French revolutionary period.
Bartholomew Laporte was born, 1758, in Tulle, France. He had been a prosperous wine merchant at Cadiz, Spain, and having been banished with all French subjects by a decree of the Spanish government, he sought an opportunity of finding his way to America. In 1793, in company with Omer Talon, he succeeded and came with him to Asylum. He was a man of affairs in the colony, being merchant, manager and land steward for Talon. Later he purchased a tract of 400 acres, kept hotel and improved his farm. Upon the organization of the county he took an active interest in public affairs, and was elected county commissioner in 1818. He continued to occupy his fine estate until the close of his life. In 1797 he married Elizabeth, daughter of John Franklin of Asylum. They had one son, John. Mr. Laporte died February 11, 1836, aged 78 years, and his wife, May 5, 1852, aged 71 years.
Both are buried in the family plot on the homestead.
John was born Nov. 4, 1798 at Asylum. His early life was spent upon the farm. Politics had a great fascination for him, and as soon as he was old enough he took an active hand on the Democratic side of the house as an ally of Gen. Samuel McKean. He was elected county auditor, 1820, and represented the county in the State Legislature, 1829 to '32, being Speaker of the House the year last named. In 1832 he was chosen to the 23rd Congress and re-elected to the 24th. In 1840 he was appointed an Associate Judge of this county, serving five years. He was appointed Surveyor-General of the State, 1845, by Governor Shunk and held that office six years. Judge Laporte remained with the Democratic party until 1855, when he assisted in the formation of the Republican party. About the year 1850 he removed to Towanda to engage in the banking business. Here he died August 22, 1862. Mr. Laporte married 1st Matilda, daughter of Dr. Jabez Chamberlain, and had children: Bartholomew married Emily Terry; Elizabeth married Charles F. Welles; Samuel McKean married Sarah Wright Corey. For his second wife, Mr. Laporte married Eliza Caldwell, widow of William Brindle. They had a daughter, Matilda, who married John R. Glover.
Anthony Bartholomew Lefevre was a native of Paris. By trade, he was an architect, but during the early days of the French Revolution was the keeper of a fashionable cafe, the favorite resort of those of royalist sentiments. He, therefore, soon fell under suspicion and thought it wise to leave France. He had married Marie Genevieve d'Ohet. In company with Madame d'Autremont (his wife's sister), John Brevost and others in 1792 sailed from Havre. Upon reaching America, they were induced to purchase land and settle at "the Butternuts" on the Chenango river. But their surroundings were not pleasant, far from supplies with Indians very near. To fill the measure of their troubles, the title by which they held their land proved worthless. They determined to join their countrymen at Asylum and removed thither, 1794. "About the time of their arrival at Asylum, Mrs. Lefevre and the remaining son came to join her husband and other (2) children, and so the family which had been separated on the banks of the Seine, after two years of great anxiety and solicitude, was reunited on the banks of the Susquehanna." Mr. Lefevre opened an inn at Asylum, and after the abandonment of the colony went to Lime Hill, on the line of the State road, and conducted a hostelry, which became widely known for its delicious table.
"Those who were frequently called to travel his highway, always planned to have at least one meal with Madame Lefevre." Mr. and Mrs. Lefevre both died on Lime Hill, he February 1, 1830, aged 80 years, and she August 23, 1834, aged 82. They rest in the Wyalusing cemetery. Their children were:
Alexander, who enlisted in the War of 1812; died, 1814, at Carlisle, Pa.
Cecelia, married John A. Prevost and died on Russell Hill, Wyoming county, aged 91 years. Their daughter, Angelique M., married William Mix and lived in Towanda.
Augustine married John Huff of Wyalusing; died, 1879, aged 92 years.
Charles Homet, born August 15, 1769, in or near Paris, emigrated to America in 1793. In Paris he had been a steward in the household of Louis XVI, and fled (1792) from that city with others about the time the King made his unfortunate attempt to escape from France. On the same vessel with Mr. Homet came Marie Theresa Schillinger (who was related to Marie Antoinette and maid of honor in the royal household), and to whom he was married soon after their arrival in America. For a year they lived at Bordentown, N.J., then (1794) came to Asylum, and shortly afterwards removed to the settlement in the western part of Terry, where arrangements were making for the reception of the King and Queen of France. In 1796 Mr. Homet returned to Asylum, purchased several lots and became a prosperous and successful farmer. He was a man of prudence and industry, and accumulated a fine fortune. His last years were spent in Wysox, where he died December 29, 1838. Marie Theresa Homet, born 1760, died January 3, 1823. Their children were: Charles F., Francis X., Harriet T. and Joseph. For his second wife, Mr. Homet married Cynthia Sickler, by whom he had a daughter, Lydia.
Charles Frederick, born May 7, 1794, married September 24, 1817, Lucy, daughter of Jonathan Stevens, died August 20, 1864, in Asylum. Children: Francis, Theresa (Mrs. U. Philemon Stone), Jonathan, Edward, Milton, Charles S., Volney, Seth, Joseph A.
Francis Xavier, born April 5, 1798, married June 24, 1828, Lucy Jane, daughter of Oliver W. Dodge; died July 27, 1890 in Asylum; had no children.
Harriet Theresa, born March 2, 1801, married October 17, 1822, Simon Stevens, died October 8, 1847 in Standing Stone.
Joseph married Orris, daughter of Charles Brown, died February 26, 1880, at Monroeton. Children: Jewett G., Marion, Lydia.
Lydia married Eleazer T. Fox of Towanda, died April 19, 1886,
aged nearly 57 years.
Joseph C. Town, a carpenter, evidently came from Wyoming to Asylum in the Fall, 1793, where he had charge of construction of houses for the French people. This work completed, he built a saw-mill on Wyalusing Creek, which contributed largely to the welfare of the settlement. Previous to this boards were split out of pine logs from four to six feet long. In 1798 Mr. Town also erected, at the same place, a grist-mill, containing a bolt for making flour. This was swept away by a Spring flood three years later. Mr. Town's wife was a sister of Frances Slocum, who was carried away by the Indians. After some years he removed from Wyalusing.
John Franklin, a native of Essex county, England, came to America with his family, 1793-'94. It is related that "during the voyage of nine weeks the entire family had the smallpox, and that upon reaching America, Mr. Franklin was indentured by one Lambert of Lambertville, N.J., until the cost of transportation had been met. Mr. Franklin went to Philadelphia to earn money to redeem himself, and Lambert, becoming fearful lest he would run away before the redemption money was paid, had him placed in jail. John King, an Englishman, living at Asylum, hearing of this, went security for Mr. Franklin and brought (1795-'96) him and his family to Asylum, where the debt was soon liquidated. Mr. King afterwards settled at Olean, N.Y., where several of the Dodge family joined him." Mr. Franklin continued to reside in Asylum and Wyalusing until his death, August 11, 1835, aged 89 years. "His life was marked by piety, humility and industry." He had married, in England, Susanna Brown, who died February 22, 1818, aged 58 years. Both rest in the Dodgetown cemetery at Terrytown. Their children were:
Elizabeth, born, 1780, in England, married December 11, 1797, Bartholomew Laporte of Asylum; died May 5, 1852.
Rebecca, born December 27, 1783, in England, married March 7, 1810, Edmund Dodge (page 158) and died at Terrytown.
Sally, born December 20, 1787, in England, married January 26, 1807, Nathaniel Terry. Their children, who married as follows, were: Betsy, June 24, 1830, to Daniel Miller; Rebecca to George Gordon; Miner, September 12, 1833, to Sally Lacey; Lucretia, 1st to Daniel Hallock, 2nd to Hiram Crandall; Mary Ann to Ulysses Moody; Maria to John Moore; Matilda to D. Hallock.
Mary, born April 23, 1795 in America, married Walter Seaman of Sugar Run, Warren county, Pa. Their children were: Susanna (Mrs.
Jerry P. Smith), Polly (Mrs. William Hoop), Rebecca (Mrs. Wooster), Laura (Mrs. Charles K. Whitehead), John F., Sally Ann (Mrs. Benjamin Palmer), Phebe (Mrs. Henry English), Dennis W., Charles D., Lurinda (Mrs. Harvey Newton), Malinda.
Samuel Shores, a native of New Jersey, who had served in the Revolutionary war, removed with his family from Sussex county to Wysox, 1795. He at first located on the Piollet flats, where he lived two years, then removed to the hills, settling the farm now owned by J. F. Patterson. He was a noted hunter and the abundance of game back in the wilderness was the incentive that led him to take up lands on the hills. He erected a log house and moved in with his family, being the first settler in all the Shores Hill region. He then commenced the battle with the wild woods and big game. Panthers, bears and wolves he killed many of, and deer without number. He generally kept his larder supplied with venison by his morning hunts before breakfast. Only a portion of his time was devoted to hunting, for he and his sons cleared nearly the whole of a large farm. Mr. Shores married Polly Stephens, also a native of New Jersey. He died on his farm about 1825, aged about 70 years, and his wife, 1835, aged 78 years. Both are buried in the Post cemetery. They had eight children, as follows:
William, a blacksmith, married Anna Post, lived and died on Shores Hill. His descendants removed to Illinois.
Joshua married Margaret Post. He lived on Shores Hill, where he died at the age of 100 years, 3 months and 15 days. They had ten children.
Betsy married John Post and lived in Sheshequin.
Sarah married Isaac Vargason (page 208) and had a large family.
Caleb married Anna, daughter of Richard Horton, and had children: Dorcas (Mrs. James Lent), Ethelinda (Mrs. Curtis D. Ferguson), Jemima (Mrs. Lewis B. Gillett), David,
Abram, Richard, Lorinda (Mrs. Joseph R. Horton), Josephine (Mrs. William Post), Urban C. and Mary (Mrs. Richard M. Shores).
Nathaniel married Tabitha Horton of Sheshequin and removed to Illinois.
Anthony King married Betsy Horton and lived in Sheshequin.
Polly married William Rippeth and lived in Wysox.
Ezra Goddard, born December 14, 1733 in Connecticut, in 1796 with his family emigrated to Sugar Creek, finding a favorable location in West Burlington. He had a handsome sum of ready cash and
brought with him a quantity of goods as were needed in a new country. He and his sons cleared off a heavy forest acreage, and soon erected a grist and saw-mill near the site since known as Rockwell's mills. While the mill was only a partial success, it added much to the comfort of the settlement. Mr. Goddard was a man of decided enterprise. His death occurred May 13, 1813, as the result of a fall in his mill. His children were: Theodore ("Zarda"), Abigail, Ezra and Luther, all of whom died in West Burlington.
Luther, who was a joint owner with his brother, Ezra, in the mill property, in 1814, was crushed to death by the fall of the chimney of the grist-mill. He had a son, Luther.
Ezra, born July 25, 1762, married Mary ____, and was associated with his father and brother in their various enterprises. He was killed July 16, 1813, by the fall of a tree. His wife, born February 21, 1766, died May 9, 1841. Their children were: Mary married Daniel Loomis; Ezra occupied the homestead; Allen W. died March 24, 1884 in West Burlington, aged nearly 91; Eli C. died in Susquehanna county. Elam Wesley died in Troy; Anna M. married William C. Ripley of Tioga county; Hiram married Roxanna Fuller.
Isaac Swain was one of the Connecticut emigrants, who came to Sugar Creek and settled at West Burlington, 1792. A little later Bethuel Swain settled in East Burlington, next to James Braffit; he and his wife, Patty, in 1815 sold their land to John McKean and removed to other parts. Jacob Swain, evidently a son of Isaac, lived in West Burlington. Isaac cleared and improved a farm, where he died March 29, 1853; his wife, Dorothy, died April 22, 1852. Other children of Isaac were: Isaac, Jr. married Sophia Pratt; Dorothy married Mr. Pratt; Orphelia married Mr. Parkhurst; Phoebe married Joseph Pratt; Cynthia married Zepheniah Lane; Susanna married Alanson Bailey; Eber married Susan Murphy; Andrew M. married Mary Ann Brigham.
Daniel Wilcox, the first settler in Franklin township, came thereto with his family from Massachusetts, 1794. He was a man of splendid information, and had a considerable library for the times. His children were: Daniel, Samuel, Nathan, Elizabeth (Mrs. Benjamin Stone) and "Genny" (Jenny). Mr. Wilcox died in December, 1815, aged 75 years, and his wife, Elizabeth, May, 1817, aged 73 years. Both were buried in the old Franklindale cemetery. The sons soon moved into LeRoy and were prominent citizens in the early history of that town; Nathan and Daniel became somewhat noted as itinerant Methodist preachers, and the place of their settlement is still known as "Preacher brook."
Stephen Wilcox, also one of the earliest settlers of Franklin, was not of the Daniel Wilcox family. He was a son of Elisha Wilcox and came to Monroe with his mother, Mrs. Platner (page 111), 1779. He was a prominent citizen of the Valley, remaining in Franklin until the 30's, when he removed West. Of his children, one daughter married Harry Campbell of Burlington; another daughter married Isaac Todd, his son, James, lived in Franklin, and other son, Stephen, who married Rachel Campbell of Burlington, in North Towanda, subsequently going West.
Joseph Wallace, noted as a violinist of rare excellence, came to Towanda Creek, settling above Grantier's in or before 1794. He afterwards moved to LeRoy and lived there some years.
Russell Family--The first permanent settler in Orwell (1796) was Dan Russell, a native of Tolland county, Conn. A few years later his father, Hezekiah Russell, and other members of the family came on from Connecticut and joined this settlement.
Hezekiah Russell, upon the outbreak of the Revolutionary war, joined the patriot army, was at the battle of Bunker Hill and served throughout the struggle for Independence. He had lost his wife before coming to Orwell, but there, in his old age, married Mrs. Eleanor Osborn. He died suddenly, January 3, 1823, aged 79 years, and is buried in the Ransom Corners cemetery, Orwell township. His children, all of whom were born in Connecticut, were:
Michael ("Mike"), who is said to have been a teamster in the Revolutionary war, married Polly Green, and lived in Rome and Orwell. The sons of Michael Russell were Michael, Jr., Reuben and Hezekiah; a daughter, Abigail, married William Strope; Michael, Jr., married Deborah Strope (pg. 95); Hezekiah married 1st Rosina Wickizer, 2nd Margaret ______.
Hezekiah married 1st Polly Ellis, 2nd Eunice Lovett and died in Orwell. His children, who married as follows, were: Christiana to Sylvester Minier; Jerusha Emeline to Benjamin Gleason; Sophronia 1st to Sheldon Hamilton, 2nd to William Jackson; Horace Augustus to Polly Waite; Otis Lyman to Martha Dunham.
Roswell married Polly Webster and died in Orwell. Their children were Mary, Eliza, Mercia, Amanda and Austin (born November 5, 1809, died 1852); Amanda married Solomon Sibley and had children, William, Polly Ann, John Perry, Ralph Russell, Catherine, Elmer, Delmer, Jane and Isabella.
Roxanna married Anson Collins of Orwell.
Polly married a Mr. Colton, Hannah a Mr. Merriman and Sally a Mr. Ebons; these daughters remained East.
Dan Russell, the Orwell pioneer, was born September 26, 1770, and married Polly Chubbuck, November 21, 1791. He left Connecticut in the Spring of 1794, coming to Shepard's Creek, thence Sheshequin, where he lived a year, before moving to Orwell. In the meantime he had begun clearing a farm. His plan was to go by marked trees through the forests with a sack of provisions on his back, sufficient for five days or a week.
In this way he worked the first season, and the next year he drove in a pair of cattle and a sled with his family. Here Mr. Russell toiled and struggled against the obstacles necessarily contingent upon the settlement of a wild country, and so well did he apply himself to the almost herculean task, that his farm was the best on the stage-route from Towanda to Montrose. His children, with two exceptions, who died single, were all married and settled within five miles of his homestead. By his wife, Polly, who died, 1820, aged 50 years, he had ten children; Mr. Russell married 2nd Ruth Clark, by whom he had a daughter. Mr. Russell died, 1851, aged 81 years. His children were:
Polly, born January 29, 1794 in Connecticut, married Joel Cook of Orwell, and was the mother of Rev. Darwin, Mary, Cyrus, Seth, Ralph and Dr. Philip B.
Eunice, born June 23, 1796, in Sheshequin, married James Smith of Orwell, and was the mother of Burton, James, Alzara (Mrs. Herbert Parks) and Mary.
Lydia, born February 4, 1798, in Orwell, being the first birth in the town, married William Alger of Orwell.
Roswell, born July 17, 1800, married Roxanna Bandall; died, 1852. Their children were Phoebe, Roxanna, Ruth and Charlotte.
Candace, born March 21, 1802; died unmarried at the age of 22.
Harriet, born February 6, 1804, married Merrick B. Prince of Orwell, and was the mother of Polly (Mrs. Merritt Cole), Martha (Mrs. Kirby Smith), David and Lyman D.
John, born November 26, 1806, married, August 18, 1825, Sibyl Thatcher of Orwell; died July 22, 1876; she was born, May 28, 1808, died April 16, 1895. Their children: Laura Delina, born September 8, 1827, died October 5, 1833; Hiram Washington, born April 18, 1829, married October 28, 1852, Mahala Tompkins, died February 19, 1908; Amanda Licena, born July 8, 1831, married, January 17, 1848, William A. Blair, died December 23, 1900; Cyrus Ozias, born October 16, 1834, married, August 24, 1856, Charlotte Vought, died, 1899; Betsy Almina, born September 8, 1836, married, January 18, 1856, John Strope, died August 17, 1909; Polly V., born April 11, 1839, died March 12, 1866; Nancy Malvina, born May 22, 1841, married October, 1865, Henry Vought, died May 28, 1911; Sibyl Cerinda, born October 22, 1844, married, August 28, 1860, James L. Prince; John Thatcher, born July 17, 1848, married, September 7, 1866, Catherine Whaling; Emma Crinthia, born August 3, 1851, married Epherson B. Rought; four other children died in infancy.
Burton, born September 8, 1808, married Sally Ellsworth of Orwell. Children: Mary A. (Mrs. William Harrington), Helen M. (Mrs. Amos Jillson), Dan E., Mercur J., Ralph L., Samuel C., Asa.
Dan, Jr., born November 2, 1810, married Deborah Ann Forbes of Rome; died December 4, 1882. Their children: Emeline Ellen married Harvey Johnston of Litchfield; Hester died, 1855, unmarried; Ernest married Melvina O. Russell of Rome; Simon married Eunice E. Moore of Rome; Morgan married Esther Towner of Rome; Cynthia married Pitman Demorest of Windham; Loyal F. married Eunice Towner of Rome; Rosina married Silas H. Cole of Rome; Phoebe married Jacob Struble of Litchfield.
Nathaniel, born May 19, 1812, married Juliette Morey and occupied the homestead; had two sons, Stephen and Perry N., and four daughters.
Tamasin, born September 2, 1821; died, aged 3 years.
Ezra Spalding was born November 5, 1754, at Plainfield, Conn. He was a son of Andrew and Delight (Dean) Spalding, and was a descendant in the fifth generation from Edward Spalding, the first of the family to settle in America. Ezra received a good common school education, and had also studied navigation and surveying until he became well-versed in these subjects, but never had much practice in either. He was reared upon a farm, an occupation which he followed, and was esteemed one of the most successful farmers in his native county.
In 1776 he joined the American army and served three months. In a short time his country again called for his services and he promptly responded, serving nine months in the militia and after his discharge returned to his father's farm. March 11, 1781, he was united in marriage with Hannah Eaton. In 1791 he removed to Tolland, Conn., and in 1793 to Springfield, Otsego county, N.Y. Here he purchased a farm and worked it three years, when on account of continued sickness in his family he found it necessary to sell his farm and leave that part of the country. In the Fall of 1795 he moved to Sheshequin. Leaving his family there during the following winter, he and his son, Horace, went up the Towanda Creek into what is now Canton township and located a farm under Connecticut title. Having chopped a fallow of about four acres and built a log cabin, he returned to Sheshequin for his family, and in the month of February (1796) moved them to his new home. His goods were loaded on an ox-sled, and Col. John Spalding took the family in a sleigh with horses. They made the trip in about four days, picking their way through the woods and frequently being compelled to stop to clear out a way for the team.
Mr. Spalding suffered all the inconveniences of living in a new country and endured many privations. He could raise no more grain than was needed for the sustenance of the family, while maple sugar was the only product with which to buy groceries, clothing and other articles, and Tioga Point and Williamsport the nearest points at which they could do their trading. When Mr. Spalding purchased his Connecticut right, he supposed he had a good title to his farm, but when the question of title began to be raised, he was, at the suggestion of a neighbor who had been an inmate of his house, sued for a small debt, the summons being returnable to Williamsport. While there he was arrested under the "intrusion law," but gave bail for his appearance at court. After several days the cause was brought on. Mr. Spalding was convicted and sentenced to pay a fine of $200, costs of court and be imprisoned for a time in the county jail. He gave security for the payment of his fine, served out his period of imprisonment and returned to his family. The Pennamite party, who had instituted the prosecution, enraged at Mr. Spalding's return and his persistency in holding to his Connecticut title, determined to drive him from the country. The payment of his fine was demanded and in default, the sheriff of Lycoming county
levied on all his property, which was sold, and then set fire to his house and burned it to the ground, leaving his family in the beginning of winter homeless and shelterless.
A friend bought in his property and left it at his disposal, and as the season was too late to build, he accepted the offer of a small log house, owned by Eleazer Allis. After about a year he built a larger house, which was a place of entertainment for many years, Mr. Spalding having been licensed a taverner. The house stood on the public road from Williamsport to Elmira, and both the house and its owner became well-known to the traveling public. In 1801 Mr. Spalding obtained a lease of the Asylum Company for his farm, which was resurveyed in 1804 and conveyed to him in legal form. Mr. Spalding was one of the most prominent citizens in the Towanda Creek settlement and filled numerous local offices. He died January 1, 1828, and is buried in the family plot on the farm now owned by John H. Brown. The children of Ezra and Hannah Spalding were:
Lucy, born March 9, 1782, married David Bailey, died February 14, 1814 in Canton without issue.
Horace, born July 25, 1783, married Harriet Chaapel of LeRoy, died April, 1879, at Canton. Children: Lucy (Mrs. John W. Griffin), Horace F., Laura (Mrs. Sylvanus Kendall), George C., Lois B. (Mrs. Edwin Newman).
Betsey, born February 26, 1785, married John Griffin, died October 11, 1863, in Athens.
William Pierce, born January 17, 1787, married Eleanor Watts, died February 22, 1867. Children: Andrew E., John M., Betsy W. (Mrs. Loren Morse), Jane (Mrs. Richard Hughes), Elizabeth (Mrs. Lorenzo Morse), Ezra F., James W.
Delight, born March 17, 1790, married William B. Spalding, died May 11, 1844. Children: Sarah (Mrs. Francis S. Rice), Ezra, Hannah (Mrs. John Beidleman), Joseph E. and Anna (Mrs. William Scott).
Moody Family is of English origin, their history having been traced to Reginald Moody of County Norfolk in the reign of Edward I, A.D. 1272. The first of the name to come to America was William Moody, who with his wife, Sarah Sewall, left Ipswich and sailed from Southampton on the ship, "Mary and John," April 10, 1634. He landed at Boston, the last of May, and settled first at Ipswich then (1635) at Newbury, where he was a saddler and furrier and smith, being the inventor of the ox-shoe and a first shoer of oxen. The sons of William and Sarah (Sewall) Moody from whom most of the Moodys in this country are descendent, were: Caleb, Samuel and Joshua. Joshua was a celebrated divine, and unlike many other civil and religious leaders, tried to stay the popular tide of witchcraft. Samuel's
descendants are living in Newburyport, Arthur Moody on the original farm, occupied by William Moody, this farm never having been out of the family name. William H. Moody, former Justice of the Supreme Court and Secretary of the Navy, was of this branch. Caleb, from whom the Moodys in Northern Pennsylvania are descendent, was also the ancestor of Rev. Samuel Moody of York, Maine. He was known as "Father Moody" and preached in the York parish nearly fifty years. He was chaplain in the Cape Breton expedition. His daughter, Mary, was the ancestress of Ralph Waldo Emerson. The Moody family in New England show characteristics of literary, oratorical and religious order. In the early days their names were prominent on the Harvard and Yale rolls. The Moody coat-of-arms indicates their being early warriors and the religious symbols their belief in the Trinity. Caleb and Judith (Bradbury) Moody had a son, Benjamin, who married Anne Bradstreet. Their son, Humphrey, married Abigail Peasley and had children: Nathaniel Peasley, Benjamin, Abiah, Moses, Martha, Jacob, Bradstreet, William, and Abigail.
Nathaniel Peasley Moody, son of Humphrey and Abigail (Peasley) Moody, was born September 15, 1760, at Haverhill, Mass. At the commencement of the Revolutionary war he was a member of the senior class at Yale College, but he promptly laid aside his books and enlisted on an American privateer. His vessel had scarcely passed outside the port of Boston, when it was picked up by a British man-of-war. He was pressed into the Dutch service and held nearly two years before he was exchanged. He immediately rejoined the American army, served until the close of the war and rose to the rank of major. He participated in the battles of Monmouth and Stony Point, and was at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He was one of the picked men under General Wayne in his memorable and successful night attack on Stony Point, July 15, 1779. Three of Nathaniel's brothers and his father, also served through the war. While they were in the army, their home was visited by the British and burned. One of the brothers, Benjamin, was six feet and four inches tall. He was a giant in strength, lived to be 94 years old and was long remembered for his physical feats.
In 1790 Nathaniel was united in marriage with Susan Griffin of Great Barrington, Mass. Here he resided until March, 1795, when with his oxen and sled, wife and three children, Enos, Moses and Mezentius, he started for the "far West." They crossed the Hudson on the ice at the city of Hudson and arrived, after many weary days of travel, at Tioga Point, where he heard of a place a few miles below called Sheshequin,
whither they went, and, weary and worn with their long journey, resolved to go no farther. Levi Thayer at this time claimed under the Connecticut title not only all the lands now included in Rome, but a large tract of the surrounding country. His surveyor ran out the lands into tracts, and also a township which Thayer called "Watertown." Moody helped Thayer cut a road from the valley of Sheshequin to the Wysox creek, and purchased a piece of land of him near the confluence of Bullard creek with the Wysox. In the Autumn of 1796 he erected a log cabin and in May, 1797, went with his family to his
forest home. Another son, Simon Spalding, had been added in the meantime, who was ten months old when the family took up their abode in the wilds of Rome.
Mr. Moody's hardships and privations were many. He is remembered as a "model pioneer farmer, strong and tough, about six feet tall, naturally good-natured but rough when molested; was fond of Homer, Virgil and Milton, which he often quoted by the page, and sung war songs of the English navy for the entertainment of his friends." His wife died in 1816, and he spent his last days at Osceola, Tioga county, Pa., where he died, 1832, and is buried. Their children were:
Enos settled at Owego and died, 1830.
Moses, born October 5, 1790, married Phoebe Allen (page 120), died March 26, 1874 in Rome.
Mezentius died in boyhood in Rome.
Simon Spalding removed to Illinois and died there, 1885.
Benjamin, born in 1798, was the first white child born in Rome, married Jane, daughter of Dr. Jabez Chamberlain, died December 16, 1839, in Asylum.
Nathaniel married Sally, daughter of William Snyder, died January 29, 1853, aged 53 years, in Sheshequin.
Polly died unmarried, 1820, aged 20 years, in Indiana.
Abigail married Oliver D. Chamberlain, died January 10, 1864, aged 56 years, in Asylum.
Ulysses, born May 9, 1811, married Mary A., daughter of Nathaniel Terry, died April 13, 1899 in Asylum, having been in the mercantile business over 60 years; had Nathaniel P. and Mary (Mrs. Tiliston D. Spring).
Arnold Colt, a native of Lyme, Conn., who had settled in the Wyoming Valley, removed to Tioga Point, 1795. He took an active part in public affairs, and in 1798 was elected sheriff of Luzerne county, his predecessors in office, being from the same locality, Col. John Franklin, 1792, and
William Slocum, 1795. Soon after his election, Mr. Colt returned to Wilkes-Barre and was prominent in public life many years.
Joseph Pierce, a carpenter by occupation, who had married Temperance, daughter of Samuel Luckey, came to Pike, 1796. His wife, with a babe in her arms, rode on horseback all the way from Kingston. After a few years Mr. Pierce removed to Ithaca, N.Y., where he died, 1804. His son, Benjamin, born March 11, 1796, afterwards returned to Pike and took up blacksmithing with Dimon Bostwick. He married Mehitable Brink and subsequently followed farming near LeRaysville; died February 5, 1881. He was the father of Col. Lewis B. Pierce.
John Knapp, who served his country in the struggle for Independence, removed from Orange county, N.Y., to what is now LeRoy township, settling near West Franklin, 1796. He manufactured and supplied the pioneers with wooden mould-board plows having but one handle. He was for a number of years postmaster of the only post office on Towanda creek between Monroeton and Canton. He was granted a pension under the Act of 1832. In his closing years he removed to Springfield township, where he died, 1836. He had married Eunice Wilcox, by whom he had the following children: Samuel, Aaron, Mary (Mrs. Jesse Robart), Eunice (Mrs. Rinearson), Amos, John, Prudy (Mrs. A. Teeter), Betsy (Mrs. Stone), William, Janet (Mrs. B. Elliott) and Mahala (Mrs. T. Beardsley).
Daniel Allen was too old to enter the service himself, but furnished three sons to the cause, resulting in the establishment of the Independence of the American colonies. He was of English descent and was born April 25, 1718 near Providence, R.I. He married September 8, 1745, Sarah Sprague of Smithfield, R.I. He removed with his family first to Dutchess county, N.Y., thence to the Wyoming Valley before the Revolutionary war. Here he was residing at the time of the massacre and was included in the capitulation. Three of his sons, Isaac, David and Stephen, were at the battle and "escaped from the Tories and Indians through the assistance of a friendly Indian, while the savages were having a pow-wow." Men, women and children went on foot through the wilderness to Dutchess county, the Allens returning to Wyoming after the war. In 1796 the three brothers who had served in the war removed to Towanda creek and built a grist-mill at Franklindale. Their younger brother, Daniel, joined them the following year. Mr. and Mrs. Allen accompanied their sons to Franklin, where the former died in 1802 and the latter in 1812, aged 84 years.
Both are buried at West Franklin. Their four sons were:
Isaac, born December 18, 1753, married Betsy Miller, died January 16, 1825 in Champaign county, Ohio.
David Sprague, born April 25, 1756, married Mary Smith, by whom he had children, Nehemiah and Polly. He died about 1837 and is buried beside his wife at West Franklin. Polly married Daniel Webber. Nehemiah had children: David, John, William, Solomon, Eleanor (Mrs. Nathan Wilcox), Polly (Mrs. Samuel Webber), Lydia (Mrs. Thomas T.
Smiley), Huldah (Mrs. Stephen Latimer) and Sally. He married for his second wife, Susanna, widow of John Smiley (page 251). They had no children; he died November 16, 1838, aged 50 years.
Stephen Oney, born September 17, 1758, during the years 1779-'80 served in Van Woert's regiment of New York militia. He married Jemima Dodd; removed from Franklin to Wysox and spent his last years with his son, John; died April 17, 1831, and is buried beside his wife in the Pond Hill cemetery. Their children were: John, born February 17, 1792, married Azubah Westbrook (page 191), died September 30, 1870; she died April 8, 1862, in her 72nd year. Children: Anna (Mrs. E. T. Dutcher), Celestia (Mrs. Stephen Harlow), Celinda (Mrs. Dayton Allen). Joseph married 1st Polly Johnson by whom he had two sons, Dayton and Julius B.; married 2nd Clarissa White and had children: Seymour W., Stephen O., Joseph H., Clarissa (died unmarried), Jemima (Mrs. J. C. Forbes) and John A. Oney, born October 27, 1807, married Polly Dutcher, died November 15, 1886; she, born February 19, 1810, died March 24, 1884. Children: Charles S., Junia W., John H., Mary E. (Mrs. R. R. Dimon), Matilda (Mrs. Silas Hiney) and Franklin T. Sally married George Davidson. Ruth married Henry Westbrook. Jemima married Jacob Emery.
Daniel, born October 28, 1764, married Anna Dodd. In 1824 he removed to Champaign county, Ohio, thence to Tazewell county, Ill., where he died February 14, 1847.
John Parks, born January 12, 1753 in Connecticut, served his country in the struggle for Independence. He married January 12, 1775, Sarah Wallen. In 1795 he removed with his family from Connecticut, locating in Standing Stone, thence to Rome in 1801. Here he continued to reside until his death, September 27, 1820. At his house occurred the first wedding and the first religious preaching in Rome.
His wife, born August 25, 1761, died March 22, 1843. Both are buried in the Woodburn cemetery, Wysox. Their children were:
Sarah married Nehemiah Northrup (page 228).
Lois married Eliphalet Clark, Rome.
Chloe married June 14, 1801, James Lent. This was the first marriage consummated in Rome (page 7).
Joseph, unmarried, was killed by lightning, September 15, 1804.
John married Margaret Strope (page 95).
Hannah married William Snyder, Sheshequin.
Calvin married a Miss Green of Litchfield.
Chauncey married Nancy Merrill, Litchfield.
Harry L. married Electa Allis of Orwell.
Robert McDowell (McDole) joined the West Burlington settlement on Sugar Creek, 1792. He was evidently from Chemung. In 1795 he died, his being the first grave in the old cemetery. His widow, Susanna, afterwards occupied his estate. James McDowell, a later resident, may have been a son.
James Irwin established himself at Tioga Point about 1792, first as a merchant, then as an inn keeper. He was also quite an extensive dealer in real estate. He married Lucy, daughter of Noah Murray, who died in Athens, December 10, 1800, aged 29 years. A few years thereafter, Irwin removed to Elmira and later to Painted Post.
Peter Miller, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Standing Stone as a settler in 1796. He married a Miss Abbott, whose father was a sea captain and lived in Baltimore, Md. They had no children. Mr. Miller, who was a pensioner, died in the Rummerfield neighborhood in the Winter of 1823. His wife died a few years later at the home of Daniel Coolbaugh in Wysox.
Dr. Jabez Chamberlain was a native of Dutchess county, N.Y. He was a son of Dr. John Chamberlain, who was of a family that took an active part in the Revolutionary war. Jabez studied medicine with Dr. Fowler, a celebrated physician of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He married Jane Wilson and began practice. A son, William, was born unto them, Mrs. Chamberlain soon after dying. He then went to the Wyoming Valley and practiced, where he became acquainted with the family of Samuel Gilbert. The latter, having moved to Asylum, he came also and July 9, 1795, married Mr. Gilbert's daughter, Irene. He went to the state of New York, practiced a few years, then returned to Asylum, where he remained until the time of his death, September 30, 1848, aged 81 years and 5 months.
Dr. Chamberlain for many years rode over an extensive field in Southern Bradford. His wife, Irene, born April 14, 1772, died January 6, 1867, aged nearly 95 years. She is remembered as a very bright and interesting old lady. Their children were: Matilda, Adah C., Gilbert, Jane, Maria, Oliver D., John F. and Joseph M.
William, born July 25, 1793, married, October 6, 1819, Susan, daughter of Gilbert Merritt and resided in Wyalusing township. He died January 7, 1876. She was born November 8, 1795, died September 17, 1867. Their children: Matilda Jane, born July 21, 1820, married Capt. Daniel L. States, living (1913); Adah, born August 15, 1821, married Francis Homet; Lyman Dodge, born April 20, 1823, twice married, died February 20, 1907; Emeline, born September 16, 1824, married Daniel Jagger; William, born January 7, 1826, married 1st, August 4, 1858, Jane V. Baldwin; married 2nd, May 1, 1861, P. Jennie Frazier, died March 27, 1901; Asa W., born September 26, 1827, married Mary Jane Chamberlain, died January 5, 1913; Amanda, born February 18, 1829, married 1st Rev. Brooks, 2nd Benjamin Ackley; Gilbert M., born September 14, 1830, married Amanda M. Bunnell; John F., born October 10, 1832, died in the West; Rebecca and Rachel (twins), born September 12, 1834, former died January 11, 1835 and the latter, November 7, 1857, unmarried; Jabez E., born November 7, 1836, died, 1911, unmarried; Theresa, born April 6, 1840, married 1st, J.V.M. Biles, 2nd, Mr. Prescott.
Matilda married John Laporte; died August 5, 1838, aged 42 years, 5 months and 10 days. Children: Bartholomew, Elizabeth, Samuel McKean.
Adah C., born July 17, 1799, married Joseph M. Bishop, died December 3, 1859, in Macedonia. Children: Helen (Mrs. Thomas Keene), Edwin M., Irene (Mrs. Charles Kellum).
Gilbert married Deborah Terry; died November 27, 1841, without issue, at Frenchtown, aged 40 years.
Jane married Benjamin Moody; died December 15, 1843, in Asylum, aged 37 years. Children: Adelpha (Mrs. Jesse Spalding), Ada Jane (Mrs. Nelson Hanson), Dr. Horace, Josephine (Mrs. Charles Stevens), Marcus (went to sea and never returned), Perry.
Maria married Frank Brown and lived in Wysox. Children: Julius, Ada Ellen, Charlotte, Eugene and Joseph M.
Oliver D., born February 24, 1812, married 1st Huldah Donley and had children: Myron, Mary Jane (Mrs. Asa Chamberlain), Margaret (Mrs. Burton Camp); married 2nd Abigail Moody (born November 25, 1817, died January 10, 1864), their children being Joseph G., Maria (Mrs. C. D. Passage), Matilda (Mrs. S. B. Eilenberger), Edwin, Amanda (Mrs. Gilbert Lathrop), Emma (Mrs. Norman Hausauer), Ada; married 3rd Mrs. Rebecca Deerduff, and had a daughter, Mary. Mr. Chamberlain died May 28, 1883 in Wyalusing.
John F., born September 14, 1814, married Susan Terry, died March 11, 1881, in Wyalusing; followed merchandising and farming; was State Representative, 1868, '69 and '70. Children: Nancy Irene (Mrs. James A. Bunnell), Gilbert, George F., Jennie E. and Dr. John W.
Joseph M. died December 9, 1836, in his 20th year.
Johnson Brothers, who were prominent pioneers in Eastern Bradford, were from Burlington, Litchfield county, Conn. Their parents were Artemas and Mary Johnson, whose children were: Edmund, Asahel, William, Truman, Mary (Mrs. John Cowles), and Elizabeth.
The father died in Connecticut and the mother in Orwell, October 23, 1820, in her 74th year.
Asahel Johnson, born February 28, 1768, in company with Zenas Cook, winter of 1795-'96, came to Sheshequin, which they made their headquarters, while they explored the surrounding country. Orwell was selected as a desirable territory for a settlement. A company of Mr. Johnson's neighbors was formed, who purchased an entire town (Minden) of 36 square miles, he taking 3,000 acres. In 1797 Mr. Johnson moved into the wilderness with his family, settling the Conklin place. His first years were a severe struggle, and he was compelled to work much at Sheshequin to procure grain for family supplies, during which time Mrs. Johnson remained alone with her small children, caring for them and the cow, their only stock. His wife was Beulah Hitchcock, born February 19, 1770, died September 13, 1851. Mr. Johnson died in Orwell, November 25, 1857. Their children were:
Lydia died at the age of 14 years.
Artemas settled and died in Clearfield county.
Simeon married Lydia Benham, died in Illinois.
Amanda married Amasa Bowen, died in Illinois.
Charlotte married Chauncey Grant, died in Illinois.
Joel, born May 18, 1799, was the first male child to see the light in Orwell, married Sophronia Benham, died November 6, 1880 in Orwell.
Wealthy married Loren Brown, removed to Canada.
Julia married Henry Johnson, removed to Cincinnati, Ohio.
Clarissa married Roswell Wilson, died in Iowa.
Lydia married Harry Wilson, lived in Warren.
Nelson married Olive Fletcher and died at LeRaysville.
Mary died in Clearfield county.
Truman Johnson, born October 9, 1775, came to Orwell, 1796, settling the Darling place. He had married Huldah, daughter of Joel Cook, Sr. Mr. Johnson subsequently moved to Pike, where he died March 14, 1831.
William Johnson, born April 14, 1772, located in Pike, 1798. For two years, while making his first improvements, he carried his provisions in upon his back from Sheshequin. Mr. Johnson was also a shoemaker and tanned the leather which he used. He had married Abigail Hart, and had three children: Denison, who occupied the homestead
and also followed shoemaking; Mary married Adolphus Olmstead; Emily married John Baker. Mr. Johnson died September 6, 1853, and his wife, 1858, aged 81 years.