Children and Marriages
(Continued on Page 283)
Jehial Ferris, a shoemaker from Delaware county, N.Y., joined the West Burlington settlement, 1795, securing land afterwards known as the Lydia Patrick property. Mr. Ferris had been married but losing his wife, 1791, placed his children among friends and came to the new country to re-establish a home. In 1799 he married Mrs. Timothy Beach of Unadilla, N.Y., two of her sons, Jesse and Timothy Beach, accompanying her to Burlington. She was a brave Christian woman who had passed through many trying experiences. Her death occurred, 1813, and the next year, Mr. Ferris married Mrs. Elizabeth Prouty. He died June 9, 1833 in his 90th year, and his last wife in 1850.
Ebenezer Kendall, a single young man, with a knapsack containing all his worldly possessions upon his back, came on foot and alone from Connecticut to Sugar Creek, 1795. He located on the
Thomas Blackwell farm. He was stirring and enterprising and before the year 1812 opened a house of public entertainment, being the only inn on Sugar Creek above Rutty's. "Kendall's Hotel" became a noted stopping place and rallying point of the settlers. Mr. Kendall was prominent in the affairs of the community and acquired a large amount of real estate. He finally sold and moved to the shores of Lake Erie and later to Illinois, where he died. He had married Jane, daughter of William Dobbins. Of their children remembered were Elam, Lorenzo, Dyer, Hazard, James, Sally and Ebenezer.
Elam married Deborah, daughter of Wm. Knapp and remained in Burlington;
Sally married Platt Smith of Ulster.
Ozias Bingham in the spring of 1777 raised a company of teamsters for the Continental army and was assigned to the brigade commanded by Major-General Alexander McDougal. He joined Washington's army at White Marsh and two days later participated in the battle of Germantown. Following, he was at Valley Forge where he remained until May, 1778, when he was sent into New England to forward to headquarters the artillery which had been taken from General Burgoyne. After this duty was performed, he was taken sick, in consequence of which, March, 1779, he was discharged and returned to his family in Connecticut. In 1795-'96 Mr. Bingham, having lost his wife and provided homes for his children, left Connecticut to find and share the prosperity of his brother, Chester, settled at Ulster. Soon after reaching the county he met and married Martha, daughter of Ezra Rutty. Locating in North Towanda, he plied his trade of skin-dresser and in the improvement of a piece of land. In his closing years he enjoyed the benefits of a pension, granted by the government for his faithful services. Mr. Bingham died February 9, 1845 in his 95th year and his wife, November 16, 1826, aged 62 years. Both are buried in Riverside cemetery. They had two sons:
John W. married Electa Foster and died, 1830, upon the homestead.
George W. married Hannah Mills; was drowned, 1831, in running a raft over Shamokin dam.
Stalford Family--Samuel Stalford, a veterinary surgeon, born March 1, 1718 in Scotland, came to Philadelphia, 1739, and there about 1750 married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Bevans) Richardson. Her grandfather, Samuel Richardson, a Quaker, emigrated from England to Philadelphia, 1688. Samuel Stalford after his marriage settled in Montgomery county. He had three children: James (died young), Joseph, a Wyalusing pioneer, and Mary, who married
Edward Dougherty. Mrs. Stalford, born Sept. 17, 1717, died, 1790, at Baumstown, Pa. Mr. Stalford accompanied his son to Wyalusing, where he died March 17, 1802, aged 84 years.
Joseph Stalford, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Richardson) Stalford, was born January 27, 1754 in Montgomery county, Pa. He married, 1780, Catherine, daughter of Henry Pawling of Providence, same county. She was reared near Valley Forge, and when Washington's army was encamped there, she assisted her parents in making blankets and furnishing supplies for the destitute soldiers. Her father contributed liberally of his means and stores toward the success of the American cause. Upon his death he bequeathed to his daughter, Catherine, the land of the old Moravian mission village which he had purchased of Job Chillaway in 1755. In 1792 Mr. Stalford moved to Wyalusing and occupied the historic site which has ever since been in the Stalford name. He lived in a log house until 1796, when he erected a two-story framed dwelling with garret and porch, enclosed with clapboards and covered with feather-edged shingles. The lumber for this house was floated down the river from Shepard's Creek above Tioga Point. It stood until July 26, 1851 when it was destroyed by a fire in which four persons lost their lives. Mr. Stalford was a successful and prosperous farmer, in 1796 having the highest valuation of any man in Wyalusing township. He died July 29, 1801; his wife, born December 29, 1745, died February 23, 1821. Both are buried in the Wyalusing cemetery. They had four children, all born in Montgomery county as follows:
Benjamin, born June 13, 1781, married Mrs. Urania (Turrell) Peck, died December 26, 1841 in Wyalusing; she, born September 21, 1786 at Kent, Conn., died June 14, 1868 at Wyalusing. They had six children: Levi P., born April 11, 1811, married Sept. 8, 1842, at Aurora, N.Y. (to) Mary Rebecca O'Callaghan, born Oct. 16, 1818, died March 3, 1909; occupied the homestead, was a man of prominence, being associate judge of the county and filling many other local offices; died Nov. 13, 1881. Austin, born December 15, 1812, married September 1, 1840, Orice, daughter of John Horton of Terrytown; moved, 1852, to Rochelle, Ill., where both died. Henry, born November 11, 1814, died unmarried April 26, 1876. Joel, born December 2, 1816, married Minerva Picket, died March 30, 1866 at Wyalusing. Nathan, born January 10, 1819, died unmarried November 12, 1866. Harmon, born May 18, 1823, was killed February 24, 1855 by the accidental discharge of his gun when returning from hunting.
Elizabeth, born November 29, 1783, married Robert Robison of Lewistown, Pa., died February 2, 1819. Children: Martha Ann, who married Edmund Horton of Terrytown, and Benjamin F. married Margaret Deihl of Philadelphia.
Joseph, born March 4, 1785, married Rachel, daughter of John Birney, followed farming in Wyalusing, died June 15, 1829; she, born September 26, 1803, died April 26, 1851. Their children were: Catherine P. married June 6, 1843, Joseph Baker of Wyalusing; Samuel married Jane Smith of Rochelle, Ill.; Mehetable married August 14, 1847, Daniel K. Brown of Wyalusing.
John, born December 20, 1788, married November 12, 1815, Lydia,
daughter of Major John Horton of Terrytown, pursued farming at Wyalusing,
was a soldier, War of 1812, died January 27, 1863; she, born March 14,
1791, died July 22, 1880. Their children were: Eleanor J., born
December 18, 1817, married September 14, 1841, Dr. D. C. Scoville of Wyalusing.
Elizabeth, born August 20, 1819, married May 31, 1847, Cornelius Cronin
of Dushore. Joseph H., born July 14, 1821, married December 25,
1855, Mary Deihl of Philadelphia. Benjamin, born July 25, 1823,
never married, was killed by the cars, March 8, 1887, at Wyalusing. Jesse
T., born December 8, 1825, married March 24, 1853, Jane Manley of Canton,
died May 25, 1904. Deborah, born October 15, 1828, married May 8,
1861, John Hollenback. John B., born April 6, 1830, married October
17, 1867, Emma Martin of Sugar Run, died May 28, 1907. George H.,
born May 23, 1833, married December 11, 1864, Jane Hollenback of Wyalusing.
Reese Stevens, a shoemaker by occupation, located on lower Towanda creek, 1795. He married the widow of John Neeley; for some years lived upon the George Bowman place, where he died and was buried on the flats near the railroad.
Seelye Crofut, a native of Connecticut, born March 13, 1768, with his wife and two children in 1796, emigrated to Towanda creek, settling upon a large tract of land in LeRoy. He was the first man of a family to settle in the town, although his brothers-in-law, Hugh and Sterling Holcomb, had preceded him a year and kept bachelors' hall until their sister arrived, when they made their home with her. Mr. Crofut was a typical pioneer. He was one of the founders of the Towanda Creek Baptist church, a deacon, and for many years the meetings of that denomination were held at his house. He also organized, 1801, the first Sunday school in the town and opened the first store. Taking an active part in all public affairs he was appointed a justice of the peace, 1812, and filled various other positions with credit and honor. The long and useful life of Deacon Crofut came to a close in 1849.
He had married April 12, 1790, Hannah, daughter of Eli Holcomb (page 229); she was born April 3, 1771, died June 29, 1850. Their four children were:
James S., born March 11, 1791, married June 25, 1812, Phebe Wooster, died February 10, 1823. Children: Minerva (Mrs. John H. Webber), Isaac S., Sarah (Mrs. Josiah F. Stone), Lovica (Mrs. Trout), James.
Sarah, born February 12, 1793, died unmarried in LeRoy, November 3, 1809.
Lura, born June 25, 1797, was the first child to see the light in LeRoy (page 51). She married first G. Enos Wooster, by whom she had children: Lucy (Mrs. John Rickey), Lemuel, Malvin; married second Isaac Chaapel, children being Hannah C. (Mrs. Addison Brigham), John R., Frank, Harriet (Mrs. Anson B. Carney), Charles F.
Ira, born November 2, 1803, married Maria Merry of Troy, died August 12, 1845. Children: Calpherina, Charles and Alonzo D.
Francis Watts was of Scotch-Irish parentage and a son of Sergeant James Watts, who was tomahawked and put to death by the Indians in their attack upon Fort Freeland, July 28, 1779. Francis was also a soldier of the Revolution. He served as a private in the 4th regiment of Dragoons commanded by Col. Stephen Moylan, Continental line, and also as 2nd lieutenant in the battalion of Col. Arthur Buchanan, Cumberland county Militia, 1777. He was captured by the Indians, but made his escape the same day. Mr. Watts married Jane, sister of William Means, and followed his brother-in-law to Towanda, 1796. He occupied a 400-acre tract of land extending from the Arcade block to the Blackman place, and from the river a mile westward. He built and operated a distillery some years. In 1808 Mr. Watts died suddenly while away from home, leaving a large family. His widow, who was one of the original and faithful members of the Wysox church, lived on the homestead until her death. The children of Francis and Jane Watts were:
John married Polly, daughter of Christopher Cowell of Wysox and settled in Canton township.
Squire married Margaret, daughter of Andrew Gregg and settled in Canton; was killed May, 1863, aged 63, while assisting in taking down a building.
Means married Susan Bowman, lived and died in Towanda township.
James married Rebecca Bowman and occupied the homestead, where he died August 1, 1834, in his 40th year.
Mary married Henry Mercur, was the mother of a noted family, died December 14, 1839 in Towanda, aged 49 years.
Jane married Oliver Newell, died in Canton township.
Eleanor married William P. Spalding of Canton.
Betsy married Davis Vandyke and moved to LeRoy township.
Thomas died when a young man, unmarried.
Joseph Preston came to Southern Bradford, 1795-'96, locating finally on the Andrews place in Wilmot, where he continued to reside until his death, 1827, aged 65 years. His wife lived many years after. Their ten children were: John married Abigail Dodge; Joseph married A. Z. Winslow and lived at Forkston; George H. married Hulda Wilson and lived in Wilmot; Edrick married Annar Winslow and moved West; Polly married John Sharts of Wilmot; Belinda married Nathan Terry and moved to Michigan; Samantha married Lyman Dodge of Franklin; Angeline married Oliver W. Dodge of Franklin; Elizabeth married Daniel Dodge of Franklin (a rather unusual circumstance, three sisters marrying three brothers, besides a brother marrying a sister of their husbands); Sally married John M. Quick of Wilmot.
Peter Stevens first came to Tioga Point, 1795-'96, then went to Wyalusing where he conducted a hotel, 1797, '98 and '99, on the Welles farm. He was appointed Wyalusing's first postmaster, 1801. From here he moved to Pike, and after losing his wife went West. In 1802 Daniel Sterling purchased of Stevens at Wyalusing. He kept a little store and early removed to Black Walnut.
Ebenezer B. Gregory in 1796 "came in to be rich with Yankee titles in wild land, but only procured a squatter's claim, where the village of Towanda now is." He occupied a double-log house near the river, south of Mix run. This he opened as an inn, 1802, and later as a store. Mr. Gregory was one of the original proprietors of Towanda, and donated from his portion two lots for an academy. He was a man of learning, an active member of the old Wysox church and some time its clerk. He was enterprising but unsuccessful. His wife was an accomplished lady and in 1810-'11 established a boarding school at her own house for young ladies and girls. "She was a strict Presbyterian, efficient, but an exacting teacher." Her maiden name was Celinda Bingham, sister of Ozias. About 1817, Mr. Gregory moved to Owego, where his wife organized another school, and he died on charity.
Henry Salisbury was born near Boston, Mass. He married Catharine, daughter of George Head of Nine Partners, N.Y., and settled at Kinderhook. While residing here his children attended the same school with Martin Van Buren. At a public rejoicing over the
capture of General Cornwallis, Mr. Salisbury, while assisting in loading a cannon, by a premature discharge, had his right hand shot off--a misfortune that proved a great affliction. He was afterwards chosen sheriff of Columbia county. In company with his brothers-in-law, Alexander and Benjamin Head, he made a trip to the new country of the West (now Monroe, Bradford county), purchased 1,000 acres of land, put up a double log house 2 1/2 stories high, then returned and sold his property at Kinderhook and in 1797 started West with his family, as he expressed it, "to better the condition of his children." His purchase included the land known as the Cole farm, and his house, the largest in the neighborhood, stood near the Cole watering trough. Mr. Salisbury is described as a "handsome old gentleman of a sunny disposition with a fondness for little folks and a faithful and consistent Methodist." He died in June, 1821, aged over 80 years. He lies beside his wife at Cole's. The children of Henry and Catharine Salisbury were:
George died in Columbia county, N.Y.
Abigail married John Brown of Kinderhook.
Rhoda married Enos Marshall of Columbia county, N.Y.
Elizabeth married Job Irish, died in Smithfield.
Catharine married Luther Hinman and died in the West.
Amy married Rev. Elisha Cole of Monroe.
Nancy married Elisha Wythe of Towanda.
Henry married Mrs. Catharine (Swartwout) Head (page 237), and died in Monroe, December 27, 1845, aged 66 years.
David Ross of Irish extraction came from Southern Pennsylvania to Ulster, 1792. About 1798 he located in East Burlington, where he cleared and improved a large farm. Selling, he moved to Granville, where the last twenty years of his life were spent. He died July 5, 1841, aged 69 years, 4 months and 10 days, "highly respected as a Christian gentleman, a kind and benevolent neighbor." Mr. Ross married Phoebe Hamilton, their children being John, Benjamin, James H., Dunham, Rachel, Ruth, Henry, William, David, Harrison and Sarah.
John married Hannah, daughter of George Head, and followed blacksmithing at Burlington many years. Their children were: David A., William F., Benjamin, Findlay, Jackson, Madison, John, James, Charles, Thomas, Amanda and Martha.
Stephen Latimer came as a settler to Franklin township, 1796. He did not long survive in his new home, dying November 30, 1800, aged 51 years. His widow, Joannah, afterwards occupied the estate, where she died June 5, 1814, aged 55 years.
They had children: Joannah married John D. Saunders of Monroe and removed West; Sally married Nathan Wilcox; Jane died July, 1803, aged 19, unmarried; Peter moved to Ohio; Elizabeth married David Smiley and settled in Ohio; Hannah.
Negro Slaves--A number of the wealthier families, settling in Bradford county, brought with them negro slaves as servants. In course of time, these slaves were either voluntarily given their freedom by their masters or liberated by laws of the state. According to the census of 1790, Dr. Stephen Hopkins and Guy Maxwell of Athens each held one slave, Adam Mann of Wysox, one, and William Huyck of Standing Stone, two. Jacob Primer, an interesting character, evidently belonged to the colored family, serving Mr. Huyck. He was an old-time fiddler and favorite with the young people in supplying music at their dancing parties. Otho came to Burlington with his former owner, Ezra Goddard. He was a turner by trade and proved a valuable acquisition to the colony, providing the settlers with dishes, including platters, trenchers, bowls and mortars, which were made from butternut wood. Bulah and her son, Cesar, slaves and novel characters, came with Ezra Spalding to Canton and lived with him many years. Black Tom, a witty but very uncertain colored man, was long a servant in the Pawling and Stalford families. He was both a source of amusement and annoyance to Wyalusing people. In 1820, John Overton of Ulster was assessed with one male slave, $25. Assessors returned slaves in Bradford county, 1821, as follows: Athens 1, Columbia 1, Monroe 1, Warren 1.
Peter Johnson, a native of Great Barrington, Mass., came to Wysox, 1796. He purchased land and settled in the southern part of Rome township on Johnson Creek, a part of the original farm being owned and occupied at this date by William S. Barnes. Mr. Johnson erected a saw-mill on the creek (named for him) flowing through his farm, and for a number of years carried on both farming and lumbering successfully. He was noted for his industry, and cleared up and improved a fine farm. Withal he was a successful huntsman and could recite some rather remarkable feats in woodcraft. He married Sarah, daughter of Theophilus Moger of Wysox. She died July 19, 1843, aged 64 years and 3 months, leaving seven children. Mr. Johnson married for his second wife Mrs. Irene (Alger) Brown-Carter. They had no children. He died April 24, 1851, aged 78 years. The children of Peter and Sarah Johnson were:
Hiram married Calista, daughter of Naphtali Woodburn.
Miner died unmarried at the age of 34.
John married Betsy Robinson of Orwell.
Polly married Joseph Allen of Rome.
Eliza married Major Joseph Elliott of Rome.
Amanda married Amos Eddy of Wysox.
Herbert died a young man, unmarried.
Ananias Conkling, a patriot of the Revolution, was a descendant by Joseph, Ananias, and Jeremiah from Ananias, the emigrant ancestor who came from Nottingham, England, to Salem, Mass., and with his brother John established in 1637, the first glass works in New England. He was from Sag Harbor, Long Island, and was baptized July 24, 1737; married, 1763, Alice, daughter of Daniel Leck; evidently came to Athens about the same time (1794) as his son-in-law, Julius Tozer (married Hannah Conkling, see pg. 254). He purchased land in East Athens on Satterlee creek; this he afterwards transferred to his son, Jonathan. Ananias Conkling died in Athens, 1811, his wife having died, 1798. He was one of the signers of the Association Test of Suffolk county in 1775.
Jonathan, b. 1754, served in the Revolutionary war, his name being given in the muster rolls of Lieut. Joshua Young's company (8th), Col. Smith's regiment; he died in Athens.
John Bull, a native of Orange county, N.Y., born May 21, 1774, came to Wysox, 1797. He worked at blacksmithing at Hollenback's till 1802, when he moved to Pond Hill. He built a house and shop at the lower end of the lake, where he lived one year, then sold to his brother, Thomas, and moved to the east side where he located permanently. The farm which he cleared and improved is now owned and occupied by his grandson, E. T. Bull. Mr. Bull had married, February 12, 1797, Mary, daughter of Henry Lent. When he came into the wilderness, his young wife found her home a dreary one, surrounded as she was by ferocious wild beasts--panthers, wolves and bears. She greatly longed to go back to her old home, but she remained to render her husband such assistance as she could while he cleared away the forests and made a comfortable abode. Both lived to a ripe old age, and died upon the farm where they settled, he, May 13, 1852, and she, born October 4, 1777, May 20, 1858. Their children were:
Ebenezer, born July 20, 1797, married Wealthy Wheeler, settled in the West and died there.
Elizabeth, born February 9, 1799, married Nathaniel Manville.
Eleanor, born February 4, 1801, never married, died May 28, 1887 upon the homestead.
Catharine, born January 11, 1803, married 1st Absalom Coolbaugh, 2nd Stephen DuBois of Monroe.
Hannah, born July 10, 1808, married Nathaniel Manville, being his second wife.
Charity Elmina, born July 6, 1811, married 1st Russell Woodruff, 2nd William Casey.
William Elliott, born October 2, 1813, married Fannie W. Gore, died December 2, 1897 upon the homestead.
Balina, born October 23, 1816, married Emerson Taylor and removed to Canada.
Mary Jane, born December 22, 1818, married E. Cicero Spencer, died January 26, 1907.
(Ed. Note--For additional Lent family info, see Vol. 2, pg. 433)
John Lent was born March 4, 1763 at Peekskill, N.Y. He was a son of Tobias Lent (originally Van Lent), a native of Holland, who came from Amsterdam and settled at Peekskill. When the British went up the Hudson to storm Fort Montgomery, Tobias Lent and his son, John, were taken prisoners. The latter, being deemed "too young a rebel to do any harm, was given a kick and told to go home." The father was carried to New York and confined in a prison ship, where he died. In due time, however, the lad grew strong enough to bear arms against British tyranny, and he enlisted in the regiment of Colonel Hughes at Stony Point, where he did ferry duty two years or until the close of the war. In 1782 he married Barbara, daughter of John Croft, who was a coachman for the Duke of Baden. Mary Bomaine (Bowman), the Duke's daughter, having fallen in love with John, they eloped, coming to America, were married and settled on the Hudson. For several years after his marriage John Lent lived in Orange county. Learning of the fertile valley of the Susquehanna, he decided to move hither with his family. Accordingly in the winter of 1797-'98 he loaded his wife, four children and a few household goods in a sleigh and with a team of horses started for the new country. He crossed the Delaware at Carpenter's Point, and from Binghamton came down the Susquehanna to Sheshequin, where he remained two years and worked for Peter Snyder. In the meantime he had purchased the improvements of Jesse Allen at Pond Hill, and on the 25th of March, 1800, moved into the little log house near the lake. He improved the farm and continued to reside there until the time of his death, November 6, 1838. Mr. Lent is described as a man nearly six feet tall and well proportioned. He enjoyed the good will of his neighbors and was never known to be at variance with them. He did his own thinking, was fearless and a faithful member of the M. E. church. His wife, born December 24, 1765, died November 14, 1838. Their remains repose in the cemetery on the farm where they spent the active years of their life. The farm is still in the family, the present owner and occupant being Albert Lent, a grandson. The children of John and Barbara Lent were:
Mary, born June 4, 1786, married Daniel Lamoreaux of Seneca county, N.Y.
Tobias, born June 15, 1789, married 1st Polly Drake, 2nd Lucy Thatcher; resided in Rome township and died, aged 94 years.
Hannah, born June 17, 1792, married Amasa Streator of Orwell; died at Erie, Pa.
Catherine, born July 27, 1797, married Deacon James Elliott of Towanda, died June 9, 1876.
Elizabeth, born December 27, 1799, married Timothy S. Kinner of Rome.
Matthias married Susan Minier and died January 28, 1876, aged 76 years, at Ulster.
Sallie, born August 13, 1803, married Roderick B. Morley of Rome township.
Albert, born August 13, 1803, married 1st Susan Bull, 2nd Mrs. Elizabeth (Moody) Reel; occupied the homestead until his death, January 24, 1899.
Dr. Adonijah Warner, a native of Massachusetts and son of Stephen Warner, a zealous patriot who was one of the celebrated "Boston tea party," after having been graduated in the study of medicine, came to Athens for the practice of his profession. In 1797 he formed a partnership with Dr. Hopkins and removed to Sheshequin, where "he engaged to teach school with the privilege of visiting his patients when called upon." He married, 1798, Nancy Means, who was residing with her brother, William, in Towanda. Immediately after his marriage, Dr. Warner located in Wysox and continued in active practice 37 years. His field was a broad one, extending for miles through a great wilderness on both sides of the river and south to the present township of Overton. At this time there was no physician in Towanda and none north that could be depended upon nearer than Athens. He was a successful practitioner and his patients required his constant attention. The house in which he lived is still standing and occupied, a little west of the Lanning residence. He died April 14, 1845, aged 76 years. The children of Dr. Adonijah and Nancy Warner were:
Marvin married Wealthy, daughter of Col. Harry Spalding, and removed to Rockford, Ill.
A. Milton married Mary E. Piper of Wysox and was for a number of years engaged in the jewelry business at Towanda where he died.
Stephen M. died unmarried, October 7, 1829, aged 25 years, in Wysox.
Myron S. married Harriet, daughter of Ebenezer Smith. He was State weigh-master from 1844 to '48, later removed to Milan and engaged extensively in farming till the time of his death.
Eliza C., born September 20, 1804, married Nathaniel N. Betts, died April 18, 1897 in Towanda.
Ethelinda married Harry N. Spalding of Towanda and removed to Rockford, Ill.
Ellen married in the West, where she lived and died.
Henry McKinney, born in Ireland, 1769, smarting from the injustice of oppressive laws, fled monarchal domain for "the land of the free." He located in Cecil county, Maryland, where he married Rebecca Hynman. In 1792 they took their all--three horses and a young babe--and on horseback journeyed up the Susquehanna with the intention of settling in the lake country of New York. Upon reaching Athens, a high river preventing their crossing, they unpacked their goods and waited for a recession of the waters. Becoming impressed with the favorable opportunities here, Mr. McKinney abandoned his original design and remained permanently. He was an expert weaver and wrought upon his loom figured bed-quilts and other articles of household use, plain and in colors, delineating birds, animals, flowers and other objects. He plied his trade in Athens, Sheshequin and Athens village. In April, 1806, he was accidentally drowned in the Susquehanna by the upsetting of his canoe. His wife, born October 20, 1776, kept her seven children together, "teaching them by her example habits of industry, economy, sociability and honesty, of whom she never had cause to complain, as they filled all the qualifications taught and became prosperous and respected." She died March 23, 1855 with her son, Joseph. Of the children:
Samuel, born January, 1792, married and settled in Litchfield, died 1853.
John, born December, 1793, moved to Maryland, died there May, 1870.
Margaret, born 1795, married James Park, died January, 1820 in Litchfield.
Henry, born October 10, 1797, married Anna Russell and settled in Litchfield, where he died September, 1879. His wife died May, 1879, aged 79. Their children were: Huston, Ruth (Mrs. Holcomb), Russell, Chester E., John H., Robert, Mary, Sarah A. and Frances H. The five sons were soldiers in the Civil War.
David, born August 1, 1800, married Jane, daughter of Daniel Bush and settled in Litchfield. He not only cleared and improved a fine farm, but for more than forty years was a noted raftsman and pilot on the Susquehanna. He died October 21, 1878, and his wife September 29, 1865.
Their children were: Rebecca, Joseph H., Hannah Jane (Mrs. Richard Sinsebaugh), Cynthia and Mary.
Joseph, born September 17, 1802, married Mary, daughter of James Bidlack (page 187), lived in Athens township where he died June 17, 1879. He was long an expert pilot, a prosperous and successful farmer and business man, noted for his honor and integrity. His wife, born January 20, 1806, died May 10, 1891. Their children were: Eliza (Mrs. C. S. Wheaton), Horace, Clarissa (Mrs. T. W. Brink), Joseph and Anna.
Cynthia, born October 11, 1804, married Amos Franklin, died March 6, 1871 in Michigan.
Dr. Amos Prentice, a patriot of the Revolution, was born April 24, 1748, the son of Samuel Prentice. He practiced his profession many years at New London, Conn. and was one of the sufferers of that city, when it was burned, 1781, by Arnold, the traitor. Through the persuasion of his nephew, John Shepard, he removed from New London to Athens in 1797. His location was at Milltown where he had a drug store (the first in the county) at his house. He also taught school some time in connection with his practice. Dr. Prentice died suddenly July 19, 1805, much beloved and lamented. Mrs. Prentice, a very accomplished woman, was the daughter of Rev. Mr. Owen of Groton, a friend and contemporary of President Edwards. She died December 7, 1815, aged 77 years. Of their children, the eldest son practiced medicine at Sag Harbor;
John O. was an early tanner at Milltown, subsequently moved West.
William was a well-educated, talented man. He had been admitted to the bar in New London and practiced there previous to his coming to Athens (1798). In 1799 he was admitted to the bar in Luzerne county and after the dismemberment of the county, practiced in Lycoming. He enjoyed the distinction of being the first resident attorney in Bradford county. He was also the first postmaster of Athens, being appointed, 1801. He wore his hair braided, hanging upon his shoulders, according to the custom of the times; was a young man of excellent character and fine personal appearance. To the great sorrow of the family and many friends, he died October 6, 1806, after a short illness of fever, aged 41 years.
Nancy married Dan Elwell and was the mother of Hon. William Elwell.
Elizabeth married John Spalding of Athens.
Julia married John F. Satterlee of Athens.
Nathaniel and Peter Edsall came from New Jersey, 1795, locating on Towanda creek in Monroe, being the first settlers above Samuel Cranmer. Nathaniel remained a score of years, then removed to other parts. Peter, who had married Jane Miller, sister of Mrs. Samuel Cranmer, finally deserted his family and went to Canada. Mrs. Jane Edsall, born November 25, 1770, died in Monroe, January 1, 1839. She left a son, John, and daughters, Mary, who married Libeus Marcy, and Jane married Jeremiah Blackman.
William Thompson came as a settler to lower Towanda creek, 1797. His wife, Elsie, died September 14, 1814, aged 63 years and was buried at Cole's. Elias and Daniel Thompson, later on the assessment rolls of Towanda township, were evidently of this family. Elias is remembered as an expert shoemaker.
Joseph Hitchcock opened the first house of public entertainment in Ulster. He was licensed as a taverner in 1797 and was succeeded by Isaac Cash in the same business in 1799. After a few years' residence in the town, Hitchcock moved to other parts.
James Drake, son of William, born October 1, 1755 at Chester, Orange county, N.Y., came to Wysox in or before 1798. About the year 1812 he settled at Pond Hill on the Dayton Allen farm. After some years he sold to John Allen 2nd and returned to the state of New York. He subsequently came back to Wysox, where he spent the remainder of his days. During the Revolutionary War, enlisting March 1, 1776, he served ten months as a private under Capt. Daniel Denton in the regiment commanded by Colonel Ritzemas, New York troops. In his closing years he was given a pension. Mr. Drake married during the war Mary _____, and by her had six sons and five daughters. He died August 16, 1849 and is buried at Pond Hill beside his wife. Their children were:
Elizabeth, born July 20, 1779;
Daniel, born July 2, 1781;
William, born February 3, 1783, married Cynthia Cogswell and had sons, David and Edward, and daughters, Lucy, Harriet, Amelia and Mary; he died on Pond Hill.
James, born July 17, 1786, married Charity Mapes;
Ebenezer, born December 29, 1789, married Sally, daughter of Richard Benjamin of Asylum.
Mary, born November 11, 1791, married Tobias Lent;
Hannah, born July 25, 1794;
Samuel, born July 23, 1796;
Joseph, born October 7, 1798, died young.
Abigail, born July 31, 1801.
Fanny, born February 23, 1804, married John St. John.
Henry (or Hendrick) Lent, a Revolutionary soldier and cousin of John Lent, came with his family from Catskill, N.Y., 1798, settling on the northern border of the present village of Rome. At this time there were only foot-paths through the wilderness from one settlement to another. In February, 1801, Mr. Lent made a trip to Athens and on his return through a blinding snow storm, following a foot-path from Sheshequin, when reaching what is now Towner Hill, he became bewildered and exhausted by the darkness and intensity of the cold and was frozen to death. He was found a few days afterwards near a tree, around which he had run in the vain attempt to prevent freezing, finally falling exhausted in the snow in a stupor which ended his life. So many times had he gone around the tree that a crease was cut in the bark by the rim of his hat. He was 56 years old. His wife, Catharine, who bore him a large family of children, survived him nearly half a century, dying November 20, 1848, aged 91 years. Their children were:
Polly married John Bull (page 291);
James, born April 14, 1782, married Chloe Parks (page 7), died May 25, 1881 in Rome. Children: Sally (Mrs. Nathaniel Beeman), Ellen (Mrs. C. C. Wage), Louise (Mrs. M. M. York), Almedia (Mrs. Hiram Vought), Matilda (Mrs. Sanford Prince), Henry, John and Charles. Mrs. Lent died May 23, 1863, aged 78 years.
Joseph, born May 22, 1786, married Mary Ann Johnson of Wysox, died in Sheshequin, March 3, 1869. Children: Harry, Barbara (Mrs. William H. Hummel), Anna (Mrs. Jesse Smith), Hiram C., Polly Ann (Mrs. O'Kane), Catharine (Mrs. Freeman Shores), Julianna (Mrs. Collins Jennings) and William J.
Eleanor married Joshua Lamoreaux and lived in New York state.
Abraham married Gertrude, daughter of William Elliott, died in Rome, January 25, 1835, aged 50 years; he was the father of ten children, the last of whom, William Nelson Lent, died May 8, 1912, aged 99 years, 9 months and 9 days.
Barbara married Major Joseph Elliott and died in Rome, January 22, 1833 in her 41st year.
Richard married 1st a Miss Moore, 2nd Lucinda Elliott of Sheshequin, removed, 1849, to Illinois where he died, 1872.
Katie married Simeon Rockwell and died in Rome.
Margaret married Silas Allis of Allis Hollow, was the last surviving member of the family, dying at the age of over 90.
Vought Family--About the year 1745, Joseph Christian Vought arrived from Holland and settled at Peekskill, N.Y. He had married a Miss Rinehart and was the father of six sons, Peter, Joseph, Henry, Godfrey, Achatias and John, and three daughters, Hester, Margaret and Catherine. Upon the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he encouraged the patriot cause and sent four of his sons, Peter, Joseph, Henry and Godfrey to fight for the Independence of the Colonies.
Godfrey Vought, the fourth son of Joseph Christian Vought, was born, 1761, at Peekskill. In April, 1780 he enlisted in the regiment of Colonel Hughes and served one year. He re-enlisted under Colonel Dubois and served an additional period of nine months. He was in many skirmishes and was personally acquainted with General Washington, "Mad Anthony" and other distinguished soldiers. During that long struggle he suffered with his compatriots, and Mrs. Stephens, a granddaughter, says: "I have many times heard him recite his experiences and as he told of the hardships of the soldiers a momentary sadness came over his face." After the war he married Polly Croft, sister of Mrs. John Lent, whose mother was a daughter of the Duke of Baden. In 1798 he emigrated to the wilds of Pennsylvania, coming to Rome township and cutting his own road a part of the way from Sheshequin. He took up lands and erected his log-house on the northern border of the present village of Rome. Here, surrounded by savage beasts, he began the battle with the wild woods. He suffered many privations, being far removed from stores, mills, churches, schools and physicians. These things were yet to follow. A mail route had not been established in the county and it was rare that news was received from the outside world. But his courage never faltered, and the ring of his ax could have been heard early and late as he felled the monarchs of the forests. His little wife bravely shared the dangers and hardships with him. One night they heard their pig squeal. Mr. Vought ran out with his gun and found a large bear trying to carry the porker from its log pen. Mrs. Vought followed with a torch, when a well-aimed bullet saved the pig and supplied their larder with an abundance of bear's meat. Although laboring under the disadvantages of the times, Mr. Vought was a man of much enterprise. In 1804 he built the first framed house in Rome and soon after the first framed barn. He also, in company with Andrus Eiklor and a Mr. Wells, put up the first saw-mill in Rome. In 1814 he opened his doors to the public, keeping Rome's first house of public entertainment. Here the weary traveler found rest and refreshment on his long journey. Upon coming to Rome, Mr. Vought brought with him seeds of different kinds,
which he planted and in a few years bore an abundance of fruit. Thus was started the first orchards in Rome. Mr. Vought died April 15, 1849, aged 88 years and 8 months. He is described by a granddaughter as a "tall, fine looking old gentleman with blue eyes, light hair and fair complexion; figure erect even in his old age." His wife was a "small woman of dark hair, eyes and complexion," or in other words, as a young woman was a handsome brunette. "Her manner was dignified and aristocratic. When attending church she was always clad in a silk dress, never changing the fashion of her peculiar notion." Her demise occurred February 10, 1860, aged 93 years. Both are buried in the Rome cemetery, which land was cleared and donated by Mr. Vought for burial purposes. Their six children were:
David married Ellen, daughter of William Huyck, died in Standing Stone, October 7, 1865, aged 83. Children: Margaret (Mrs. William Coolbaugh), Polly (Mrs. Orrin Galpin), William, Daniel, Richard, Ellen (Mrs. George A. Stephens), Teresa (Mrs. Charles Norton), Godfrey, John and Hiram; Mr. Vought married 2nd Elizabeth Cowell, widow of Benjamin Martin.
Catherine ("Katie"), who was the second bride in Rome, married Andrew Eiklor; died June 23, 1879, aged 96 years, 6 months and 4 days.
Daniel married Mary Mattison, died in Rome, August 22, 1833, aged 44 years and 6 months. His wife died November 23, 1886, aged 91 years and 2 months.
Polly C., born July 13, 1793, married Deacon Stephen Cranmer, died March 27, 1868.
Joshua married Polly E. Thatcher, died in Rome, January 20, 1880, aged 86 years and 21 days. His wife died April 27, 1875, aged 73 years and 5 months.
John, born March 15, 1805, married 1st Mervil Cannan, 2nd Mrs. Elizabeth Heath, died in Rome, April 22, 1890.
The Colemans were from Litchfield county, Conn. It is claimed that as early as 1791, Elijah Coleman, who had served as sheriff of Litchfield county, was living at or near Browntown. He was the pioneer chimney-builder and died in Pike about 1812. He had at least four children: Darius, Elijah, Sarah and Reuben.
Darius, who was a noted hunter, settled in Susquehanna county. He had three sons and nine daughters.
Elijah married Millie Shippy and survived until after 1840.
Sarah married a Mr. Browning.
Reuben married Jane Scott and settled in Pike township.
It is said that he built the second house on Rockwell creek and that he and his sons cleared more land than any other family in Pike. His children, who married as follows, were: Betsy to a Mr. Camp; Sheeler to Catharine Coats; Dima to a Mr. Camp; Archibald to Marinda Walker; Reuben 1st to Ursula Coats, 2nd to Mrs. Ann Esseltine; Rhoda to Caleb Heath; Nathan to Parmela Brewster; Russell 1st to Harriet Goodell, 2nd to Frances Rogers; Roswell to Rowena Walker; Joseph to Irene Buttles; Clara to William Cline; Orrin to Susan Palmer; Homer to Jemima Palmer. Russell was the last survivor of the family.
Capt. Josiah Grant served with the "Green Mountain Boys" during the Revolutionary war. He held a captain's commission in the Continental army in the brigade of his cousin, Gen. Ethan Allen. In 1796 he made a trip west, coming to what is now Orwell. Having selected lands, he made some improvements and returned for his family which he brought in 1798. He located on lands about 100 rods west the Orwell Presbyterian church. Here he continued to reside until the time of his death, April 27, 1808, aged 57 years. His funeral was the first Masonic one in Orwell. Captain Grant was twice married, his first wife being a sister of Capt. Samuel Woodruff, also a pioneer of Orwell. His children by this marriage were Cyprian, Rhoda and Ruth. By his second marriage the children were Chauncey and Josiah W.
Cyprian ("Cyp") married Polly, daughter of Theophilus Moger, located in Wysox where he lost his life, June 17, 1815 as the result of a kick by a horse. He had two children: Josiah Nelson who removed to Illinois and Aurelia married Jeremiah Barnes of Herrick.
Rhoda married Chauncey Gridley of Orwell, died December 13, 1843, aged 63 years.
Ruth married a Mr. Pierce and removed from the county.
Chauncey settled in Illinois where he died.
Josiah W. married Margaret, daughter of Capt. Ralph Martin of
Wysox. He died August 3, 1841, aged 54, in Orwell, and his wife, July 7,
1859, aged 71 years and 3 months.
Zepheniah Rogers, a native of New England, born March 7, 1747 at Mendon, Mass.; married March 7, 1770, Elizabeth Rood (b. April 16, 1753, d. March 21, 1838), in Litchfield, Litchfield county, Conn.; served in the Revolutionary war, enlisting as a private, May, 1776, in Capt. William Satterlee's company under Col. Elmore of the Connecticut line and served until April, 1777; re-enlisted April, 1777, and served as a private, Capt. Daniel Davis' company under Col. Elmore for five or six months. In 1796 he emigrated with his family to Towanda creek, settling in Canton township on what is known as the Hubbel Manley farm. He occupied a floorless log cabin, 14x18, in which he set up a one-legged bedstead--simply a forked stick driven into the ground on which were poles running to a crack between the wall logs and these poles threaded with bark for bed-cord--the magnificent furnishing of many an old-time first cabin.
He also built a little tub-mill on his place, having a capacity for cracking from a bushel and a half to three bushels of corn in twenty-four hours. In his old age, Mr. Rogers enjoyed the benefits of a pension granted by the government. In 1822, he moved to Franklin county, Ohio, where he died Oct. 7, 1823, and is buried. The children of Zepheniah and Elizabeth Rogers were:
Isaac, b. Feb. 11, 1771;
Zepheniah, Jr., b. Sept. 12, 1773, married Anna Soul, 1795; for a number of years occupied the Lindley place, subsequently removed from the county.
Rachael, b. July 14, 1778, married Nathaniel Babcock;
Elizabeth, b. April 8, 1783;
Roswell R., b. July 5, 1787, occupied the homestead. He married Minena _____ and had the following children: Roswell R., Lucinda (Mrs. George Manley), Amanda (Mrs. William Miles), Claracy (Mrs. Abner Walters), Eliza (Mrs. Elliott Manley), Deborah (Mrs. Martin Coon), William W. and James A.
Rosemanty, b. Sept. 24, 1789;
Reuben, b. Oct. 26, 1791;
Roine (Irvine), b. January 4, 1794, married Hannah, daughter of Laban Landon and remained in Canton.
Gersham Gillett from the state of New York was one of the first settlers of Canton, coming thereto in 1796. He left before 1806. His son, Wilkes, remained some years then also removed from the town.
George Bloom, a native of Prussia, who as a young man was compelled to serve in the Hessian army, was brought to America during the Revolutionary war. After being captured by the Americans, he espoused their cause and never returned to the mother country. He married Mary ("Molly") Ater of Maryland and in 1798 found his way to Burlington where he purchased land and settled permanently. Here both he and his wife died. They had children:
George settled in Illinois and became very prosperous;
Elisha married Bersheba Blakesley and settled in Canton township. They had children: George, John A., Ann (Mrs. Oakley Lewis), Dolly (Mrs. Charles Hoagland), Dameras (Mrs. George Merchant) and Betsy (Mrs. Isaac Hoagland).
Joseph married widow Rebecca Braffit (who was left with three children), removed to Ohio where he accumulated a handsome property.
David went to California during the gold excitement, "struck it rich" and afterwards settled at Kankakee, Ill.
John, the youngest of the family, inherited the homestead. He married Betsy, daughter of Martin Stratton; children: Charles F., Olive, Bursha, Lucinda, H. Melissa, Lucy E. and Sarah E.
Polly married Ezra Rutty, Jr. of North Towanda.
Lanie married William Ellis and removed to Arcola, Ill.
Catharine married Amos Abbott of Canton.
Margaret married Mr. Blakesley of Burlington.