Lane Family is of English origin and their history has been traced to the time of William the Conqueror in 1066. The Lanes were early in America, first settling at Dorchester, Mass. Alexander Lane located in Westchester county, N.Y. One of his sons was Alexander who came to Bradford county.
Alexander Lane, born 1761 at North Castle, N.Y., joined the American army under Colonel Livingston and was in the Montgomery expedition and at the surrender of Burgoyne. After the war he settled in Ulster county and with his brother, John, cleared up a farm. He married Abigail Mills of Poughkeepsie and in 1797-'98 removed to Pennsylvania. In making the trip to Old Sheshequin, Mrs. Lane rode a horse while her brother, Daniel Mills, drove a team with the household goods. Mr. Lane at first settled and built his house on Smith's Island in the Susquehanna. The second year he was drowned out by high water and had to move to the mainland. In 1801 he went to Burlington, settling at Luther's Mills, where he had purchased an 1800-acre tract of land. He paid for his land twice then lost it, holding only a small part of the original tract by a third purchase. On this he lived and labored until the close of his life. For his faithful services to his country he was given a pension. Of the old hero many stories are related as to his great strength and power of endurance. He was 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed about 200 pounds. His son-in-law, James Wilcox, who used to hunt with him, says: "We had killed a buck weighing nearly 200 pounds, six or eight miles from home. The snow being deep, I wanted to leave part of the deer. The old gentleman said, 'You carry my gun,' and shouldering the deer he carried it home, only putting it down once on the way." One time Mr. Lane coming from Ulster overtook his neighbors, Mr. Clark and Mr. Knapp, who were trying to get two barrels of salt into their wagon, which had fallen to the ground by the end-board coming out as they were ascending the dugway hill. Messrs. Clark and Knapp were not equal to the task and called on Mr. Lane for assistance. He told them to stand aside and taking the barrels by the chimes, lifted them into the wagon without much trouble." Mr. Lane died in 1844, aged 83, and his wife, April 9, 1857, aged 85 years. Their children were:
William married Fannie Horton, died in early life in Burlington, leaving a son, William.
Zephaniah married 1st Polly Clark, 2nd Cynthia Swain; died in Burlington, leaving sons, Isaac, Josiah, William P. and Willard, all of whom were soldiers in the Civil War.
Alexander married Catharine Shoemaker and was long in the ministry of the Methodist church; he died upon the homestead, leaving sons: Asa S., John W., Dr. William A., Noel W., Stephen A., Dr. C. Henri and Gustavus G.
Daniel married Lydia Morton and had sons, Alexander, Webster, Robert M. and Wayland L.; died in Burlington.
Sally married Jeremiah Travis of Burlington.
Hannah married William Watkins.
Ruth married James Wilcox of Burlington.
Betsy married John Ballard of West Burlington.
Maria married James Taylor.
Emily married John Gorham.
Charlotte married David Smales.
Elvira married Nathaniel Sheldon.
Anna died unmarried, aged 18 years.
William Arnold in company with two other young men in the Spring of 1797, left his home in Rhode Island to find the Brown and Ives tract in Northern Pennsylvania and take advantage of the inducements offered in forming a settlement. He and each of his companions carried a leather saddle-bag containing a few articles of clothing, tinder-box, flint, powder, bullets and moulds with plenty of fish-hooks and lines, and a good new axe; also, a single flint-lock, all that was deemed necessary for the common defense and protection. After a long journey the lands were found in what is now Warren township. Log houses were constructed, fallows chopped and burned, all working early and late until November when they returned East. Thus was made the first break by white men in the great wilderness of Warren where before only Indians and wild beasts had roamed. The following Spring (1798) Mr. Arnold left Providence with his family, coming by the way of the Susquehanna which they passed down on a raft to Nichols Corners, thence proceeded 12 miles through the forest to their new home. His hardships were many but they were met most heroically. He struggled and toiled until 1816 when death ended his career at the age of 62 years. William Arnold married first Elizabeth Buffington by whom he had at least six children, Patience, James, Andrew, Eunice, William and Benedict. Mrs. Arnold died in 1801, aged 50 years. Mr. Arnold afterwards married Mercy Mapes. Of his children:
Patience, born May 26, 1781, married for her last husband Samuel Wilson, died in Warren.
James, born April 19, 1783, married, 1806, Sarah Butler of Sheshequin and after her death, 1844, Mrs. Grace Buffington, widow of Wm. Buffington. He was a soldier, War of 1812, fifty years a faithful member of the M. E. church and the father of ten children, two of whom were James and Walter. He died July 24, 1863 in Warren.
Andrew married and settled at Nichols, where he died.
William, born August 6, 1792, married, September 12, 1813, Deborah Pendleton and had children, George Pendleton, Celestia Elvira (Mrs. Wm. Robertson), Betsy Irene (Mrs. Chas. Darling), John Dennison, Jarvis Lyman, Charles Lee, Horace Leonard, Caroline Harriet (Mrs. Oliver Bostwick), Adeline Lucina (Mrs. Samuel Stevens), Seneca Lavater and three others dying in infancy. Deborah Arnold, born October 23, 1793, died March 28, 1840, and Mr. Arnold afterwards married Hannah E. Wooster and had two children, Aner Smith and Robert Wooster. He died May 9, 1872 in Warren.
Benedict, born August 27, 1800 and William Bowen, born a few hours earlier on the same day, were the first children to see the light in Warren. He married Lucy Billings and died September 10, 1872 in Warren. Their children, who married as follows, were: Rev. Calvin V. to first, Content Buffington, second to Mrs. Tingley; Chauncey W. to Caroline Tallmadge; William P. to Jane Carey; Lucy Maria first to Austin Herrick, second to Mr. Borden; Rev. Andrew Jackson to Josephine Whitaker; Abel I. first to Mary Elizabeth Pendleton, second to Mary McCumber, third to Julia Bushnell; Corrington T. to Sarah Ellsworth; Eliza J. first to Wm. Rogers, second to Geo. L. Pendleton; Malantha A. to John B. Dickinson.
Lodowick Carner (name is of Holland origin and was originally spelled "Karner"), a native of Sheffield, Mass., came to Sheshequin in or before 1798. "He was a very ingenious man and miller for General Spalding." Of his family, two sons, Calvin and Luther, and two daughters are remembered. One of the daughters, Mary, married George Kinney. Luther married Wealthy, daughter of Col. John Spalding. Their children were: Edgar, Mary, John, Charles, Henry, Sarah, George and Stephen. About 1820 Mr. Carner removed to other parts; Luther, also, after the death of his wife in 1833 left the town, settling in Ohio.
Silas Carner, a brother of Lodowick, followed his brother to Sheshequin where he continued to reside a number of years. He finally removed to Athens and died there. He was the father of Orson, Amanda, Horace, Sylvia, Jay and Silas.
Soldiers 1798 -- In 1797 there was a prospect of war with
France. On June 2, 1798, Governor Thomas Mifflin issued a circular addressed
to the militia officers of the state, requesting that the militia be enrolled,
organized, equipped and put in condition for active service, if they should
be required. Accordingly, a general meeting of the militia officers of
Luzerne county was held at Wilkes-Barre, July 3, 1798, for the purpose
of taking proper action upon the subject mentioned in the circular. At
that meeting Gen. Simon Spalding of Sheshequin was elected president and
resolutions passed with great enthusiasm in which it was declared: "No
sensations of gratitude, no relics of enthusiasm remain to distract us
from our duty as American citizens to our country and here proceed to offer
our services to the state, whenever the emergency arises in which she needs
them." A call was made for volunteers as matters began to assume a more
threatening aspect, and a company under command of Capt. Samuel Bowman
was attached to the 11th regiment of the United States, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel
Aaron Ogden. John Hollenback who enlisted in this company as 2nd sergeant,
was appointed a recruiting officer for the upper townships of Luzerne.
Mr. Hollenback says: "I enlisted 14 men at Wyalusing by Kingsley's spring.
I got them to play ball and sent to Justus Gaylord's for two gallons of
whiskey and after they got well 'yorked' I paid them eight silver dollars
apiece. When the women got hold of it they were going to kill me. I slept
in a little old barn south of Peter Stevens' house to keep out of their
way. I appointed James Lewis sergeant to take them to Wilkes-Barre, and
I went to Wysox where I enlisted more and then to Tioga Point where I enlisted
others." These and probably a few others enlisted from Bradford county:
William Allen, Jonathan Conkling, David Curtis, John Dalton, Jonah Davis,
William Decker, John Ellis, Isaac Ford, Asa Harris, James Harris, Samuel
Harris, Benoni Hulett, Wareham Kingsley, James Lake, David Landon, James
Lewis, William Loughery, William Parker, Thomas Quick, John Stark, Hugh
Summerland, George Tucks, Elias Thompson, William Tuttle, Samuel Wigton,
Ephraim Wright, Thomas Wright. Mr. Hollenback adds: "We were disbanded
by General Hamilton in the Spring after Jefferson was elected."
William Harding accompanied William Arnold from Rhode Island to Warren in 1797. He selected lands, made a clearing and built a log house. The next year he brought in his wife. His trials in the wilderness, however, soon came to a dreadful close. In the Winter of 1802-'03 he and William Arnold made a trip to Sheshequin for provisions. These secured, each with a pack of fifty pounds thrown over his back, started for home.
A heavy snow fell and closed their track. Near where Potterville now
is, Mr. Harding gave out and could proceed no further. Mr. Arnold went
for help but when he returned found his companion a stiffened corpse. The
remains were taken to Warren Heights for burial and there in the old grave
yard a maple tree over his grave stands as his monument.
The Pratts were a somewhat numerous and prominent family from Massachusetts, settling in West Burlington. The first to come were Ephraim and William Pratt in 1798. A little later Beriah Pratt arrived and still later John Pratt. In 1812 the assessable Pratts in Burlington were Beriah, Calvin, Ephraim, Elias, Gilbert, Jedediah and William. William and wife, Anna, in 1829 sold their land to Gilbert Pratt and removed from the place. Beriah was provided a home by his friend, John Gamage, and lived next to him until his death. Calvin had sons, Beriah, Leonard, Jehial, Gilbert and Jedediah. Jedediah had two sons and two daughters, Luman, Perry B., Mary Ann (Mrs. Chester Campbell) and Angeline J. (Mrs. William P. Davis).
Ephraim Pratt was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He served three years as a private under Captain Fox, Col. Henry Jackson's regiment of the Massachusetts line. In the 1830's, he sold to Isaac Swain and removed with his family to Ohio. One of his daughters was Lucretia.
John Pratt, brother of Ephraim, did not come to Burlington until 1816. He married Elizabeth ("Betsy") Hagar, a noted heroine, who was born in Boston. "At the age of nine years she was left alone in the world to shift for herself. She grew upon a farm, was of strong muscular frame and learned to do all rough farm work as well as being an expert at the loom. When the Revolution broke out she was at work for a man named Leverett in his blacksmith shop; he was very ingenious and he and Betsy were secretly busy fixing the old match-lock guns for the patriots. She would file, grind and scour the work and fit it as fast as Leverett would turn it out. Both, it should be remembered, were working gratuitously--solely for the cause of freedom. At the battle of Concord the British fled and left six fine brass cannon, but all spiked. The guns were taken to Leverett's shop, where he and Betsy drilled holes opposite the spikes when they punch the irons out and stop up the holes with screws. Betsy worked hard at these cannon for six weeks. She also made cartridges and when her supply of flannel for this purpose gave out, she took off her underclothing and used them. At night after the battle, she helped cared for and nurse the wounded. Throughout the war she continued to aid the patriot cause in many ways.
Among her other gifts she possessed considerable knowledge of medicine--the herbs, roots and flowers of the country, and she often ministered to the sick and was as much respected and looked up to as any person in the settlement." The patriot mother and her husband spent their last days in Granville township. Mrs. Pratt died July 12, 1843, aged 88 years, 1 month and 4 days, and her husband, April 16, 1851, aged 90 years, 7 months and 11 days. Their children were:
Mercy married Robert Little.
Ephraim removed West.
Thomas married Lucinda Levert.
Joseph married Phoebe Swain.
Sophia married Isaac Swain.
Nancy married John Henry.
John married Eunice Dudley.
Lewis married Polly Vroman.
Reuben Case -- What are now Troy borough and township were settled by emigrants from New York and the Eastern states. The first settler of Troy borough was Reuben Case who came thereto by virtue of the promise of Connecticut claimants, agreeing to give each settler 150 acres of land and his oldest son 100 acres. Accordingly, in the month of February, 1798, Mr. Case loaded his effects upon a sled with his family and began his journey with an ox-team from Hebron, Washington county, N.Y. to the wilderness of Western Bradford. He came by the way of Ithaca, Spencer, Tioga Point, Ulster and Sugar Creek. He followed along the streams, cutting his way through the woods much of the way. The first night after arriving, the family slept in a cabin constructed of brush by the side of a fallen tree.
In a few days with the assistance of parties living on Sugar Creek, a log house 16 feet square was erected. It was covered with bark, a hole being left for a chimney. A stone was laid on which to build a fire, when the weather had moderated so a chimney could be built. In the meantime, comfort was had by the burning of a log-heap outside. Having no furniture, holes were bored in the side of the house, pegs inserted and split plank laid on them for a table. Split basswood logs were used for a floor and door. For chairs, blocks were sawed the right length from logs. After awhile these were supplemented by shorter blocks with legs like stools. Game being plentiful, the family did not suffer for meat and fish. They had no flour; corn was brought from Tioga Point on horseback and pounded with a stone pestle in a hole made in the top of a stump. Deer hides were tanned and made into breeches and jackets.
A little clearing was made near the house the first year and enclosed with a brush fence; quite a fallow was also cut and burned but not cleared off. Corn was planted between the logs by the aid of an old ax. The bit was struck into the ground, making a hole into which the corn was dropped, then covered over by stepping on the hill. In the same manner potatoes were planted the first two or three years. Experience Nichols, wife of Reuben Case, was a doctress, having a regular diploma. In attending her patients she made her trips on horseback, sometimes going a distance of fifty miles, often being called to Tioga Point, Spencer, Fellow's Fields and the Block House settlement. Mr. and Mrs. Case spent the last years of their life at Spencer, N.Y. Their children were: Elihu, Silvica, Timothy, Esther, Reuben, Philip and Ephraim.
Elihu, born September 22, 1790 at Hebron, N.Y., occupied the homestead farm in Troy. He was long prominent in public and military affairs, being popularly known as "General Case." He served as State Senator, 1837-'41, and was a surveyor and justice of the peace 40 years. He married Charlotte, daughter of Jareb Palmer; died, 1865, at Troy. Their children were: Edmund, Hiram A., Nathan P., Adrial H., Jareb and Irene (Mrs. Charles N. Strait).
Silvica married Russell Palmer of Troy.
Timothy lived in Troy; died, 1844 leaving a wife, Delia, and children, Rhoda, Betsy N. (Mrs. David Newell), Harriet M., Florence M., Ephraim and Alonzo R.
Esther, born January 30, 1800, was the first child to see the light in Troy borough; she married Milton Hugg.
Reuben, born May 30, 1802, was the first male child born in Troy
borough and spent his life in that village.
The Wilcoxes were natives of Rhode Island and emigrated from that state to Cooperstown on Otsego lake, where they remained a short time, then came down the river and found their way into Monroe township in 1798. The family consisted of Sheffield Wilcox, Sr., his wife and children, Lois, Thomas, Rowland, Freeman, Sheffield, Jr., Amy, Desire, Eunice and Jemima. Mr. Wilcox lived on the west side of Towanda creek, about three-quarters of a mile below the Monroeton bridge. While residing here, he and his sons went up into Albany and picked out locations. Between April, 1800 and the Spring of 1801, they began the erection of a log house on their tract and in the Autumn of 1803, Sheffield, Jr. moved to their forest home (which had neither doors nor windows) on an ox-sled.
His father came the following Spring. When the Wilcoxes went to Albany, they were compelled to cross the creek 11 times in reaching their new home. At this time there was only one house between the Fowlers in Monroe and the spot where they had settled, being John D. Saunders who lived on the Ridgway place. Mr. Ladd lived a couple of miles further up the creek, but the country was a wild and dreary prospect, inhabited only by savage animals. The woods were full of deer and brook trout were found in myriads in the streams. The senior Wilcox built his cabin on a little plateau on the Rhodes place. His house had all the novelties of pioneer style. It was one story, floored with split plank--one end being occupied by the huge fire place. Fuel, to the size of small saw logs, was used and frequently drawn into the house by a horse. Mr. Wilcox spent his time diligently in making improvements until after the death of his wife, when he transferred his property to his son, Rowland, with whom he afterwards lived. Mr. Wilcox is described as a "very strong man, medium height and well-proportioned with the reputation of being a great worker." He was born April 2, 1746; married December 11, 1771 to Eunice Ross; died February 27, 1826. Mrs. Wilcox, born November 14, 1750, died suddenly October 29, 1813. She is remembered as "an excellent lady with a very kind heart." Of the daughters: Lois, born February 5, 1773, married Timothy Alden of Monroe, died January 10, 1851; Amy, born August 7, 1785, married Eleazer Sweet of Monroe, died January 8, 1867; Desire, born December 1, 1787, married John B. Hinman of Monroe, died April 7, 1844; Eunice, born October 22, 1790, married Humphrey Goff and died in Monroe; Jemima, born March 8, 1793, married Cornelius Coolbaugh of Wysox, died January 13, 1822. Of the sons:
Thomas Wilcox, born March 23, 1775, settled at Milltown. He was a blacksmith by occupation but engaged in other enterprises and became a man of affluence. He was popularly known as "Captain Wilcox." He died in 1855, leaving children: Gordon, Maria (Mrs. Robert Sutton), Olive (Mrs. Shelding Guernsey), Adaline (Mrs. John B. Kiterell), Elisha, Thomas, Rowland and Frances (Mrs. Alden).
Rowland Wilcox, born November 25, 1776, married June 6, 1814, Elizabeth Van Etten of Spencer, N.Y., died April 17, 1844. She was born March 15, 1791, died April 30, 1837. In 1814 Mr. Wilcox built the first framed house in Albany. He was a heavy land-owner, possessing at one time 1,000 acres. His children were: Benjamin S., James, Minor R., Eunice M. (Mrs. J. H. Lewis) and Mary L. (Mrs. William Blake).
Freeman Wilcox, born January 6, 1779, married July 4, 1800, Clarinda Southworth of Chautauqua county, N.Y., died August 14, 1864. She was born December 8, 1782, died December 31, 1863. Mr. Wilcox located in Albany in 1805. For many years he was the local lawyer or pettifogger. His house was the home of the Methodist preachers. He was a man of excellent physique and stood about five feet and eight inches. On a lift he was without an equal and it is said of him "that he was never put upon his back at square-hold." He was fearless and would brain a panther or bear with an ax. His children were: Charlotte (Mrs. Dyer Ormsby), Hiram S., Philetus S. and Harvey.
Sheffield Wilcox, Jr., born October 29, 1782, moved into
Albany in 1803. He was a noted hunter and killed more panthers and bears
than any other man in the county. In 1822 he opened a hostelry which for
many years was a noted rallying point. He married, June 12, 1803, Charlotte
Hinman of Wysox; she was born June 25, 1784, died October 4, 1858. Mr.
Wilcox died November 12, 1869. Their children, who married as follows,
were: Wells to Harriet H. Fairchild; Harriet C. to Jacob
Miller; Rowland to Louise Menardi; Sophrona Delight to Charles
The Brinks were one of the most numerous families, settling in Pike township. Nicholas Brink (relative of Benjamin Brink of Sheshequin, page 218) of Wallpack, Sussex county, N.J., removed to the Wyoming Valley at an early day, but his losses through the Pennamite troubles and the great ice-flood of 1784 caused him to seek a more favorable location and he emigrated to Southern New York. Three of his sons, Thomas, James and Benjamin, all of whom served in the Revolutionary war, settled in Bradford county. Thomas came to Wyalusing in 1797, remained a few years then moved to Pike township, where he died about 1813, leaving a widow, Mary, and children. James followed his brother to Wyalusing in 1798 and in 1805 purchased the Bela Ford possession in Pike and moved thereto. He had five sons. His name last appears upon the assessment rolls, 1816, when his real estate was transferred to Stephen Brink. Benjamin, either a brother or son of Thomas or James, located in Pike at about the same time as the former. This or another Benjamin Brink died in Pike in 1857, leaving a widow, Elizabeth, and three children, Lydia Ann Brister, Mary Ellsworth and Chandler Whitfield Brink.
The Brinks in Pike of the next generation were: Cornelius, Ephraim, James, James 2nd (Jr.), Jonathan, Nicholas, Ruel W. (died 1833),
Simeon, Stephen, Thomas, Thomas 2nd, William and William 2nd.
Ephraim married twice, one wife being Laura Cogswell. By his first marriage had children, Sterling, Austin, "Phila" (Philena) who gained considerable notoriety in war days, Ann, Elvira (Mrs. Thomas Ransom), Eliza (Mrs. William Mintz), Rosanna and Clarissa; by 2nd marriage children were Cypron, Elizabeth, Ephraim, Simeon, Ezekiel, Lucy and Wealthy. He sold out and went to Iowa with his family.
Jonathan married 1st Polly Brister and 2nd Emily ------. He died July 5, 1852 in Pike, leaving a wife and nine children: William, Daniel, Jonathan, Jenette (Mrs. Chester Goodell), Therzy (Mrs. Enoch P. Coburn), Martha (Mrs. Henry Stevens), Betsy, Phebe and Mary. Jonathan, who married Abigail Stevens and died October 26, 1902, aged 87, was the last surviving member of the family.
Nicholas died, 1851, in Pike, leaving a widow, Lucy, and two sons, Chandler and Thomas R.
Simeon married Lydia Buck. Their daughter, Adaline, married Thomas Stone.
Stephen, commonly known as "Captain Brink," married Dimah Bosworth. He was the father of the late George W. Brink, for many years a justice of the peace and a prominent citizen.
Thomas married 1st a Miss Brister and 2nd Phebe Bowman. He died November 21, 1858, aged 66 years, leaving five children, all by his first wife: Ransford, Calvin, Ira, Ann Eliza (Mrs. Samuel J. Bosworth) and Harriet (Mrs. Duncan Magee). Ransford, born September 14, 1816, married 1st Sally Bosworth, 2nd Adaline -----, died May 15, 1896. Children: Adelia (Mrs. Wilson E. Canfield), Leonard M., Charles H., Edward S. and Emma. Ira married 1st a Miss Hagar of Herrick, 2nd a Miss Warner of Iowa.
William, son of Thomas 1st, married Loraine Brister and lived in Pike where he died, 1858. He had a daughter, Mehitable, who married Benjamin Pierce.
William 2nd died in Pike, 1883, leaving two daughters, Mary Emily, Susan Amanda and one son, George M.
Other Brinks of this generation were: Thomas 2nd married Lois Corson;
Lucy Brink married Noble Canfield; Philena Brink married John A. Ellsworth.
In 1825 the taxable Brinks in Pike were: Benjamin, Cornelius, Ephraim,
Jonathan, Nicholas, Simeon, Stephen, Thomas, Thomas 2nd, William and William
Andrew Canfield, with his wife and six children, moved from Litchfield county, Conn. to Wyalusing Creek in 1797. He lived two years with his brother-in-law, Thomas Tillotson, in Pike, then moved into Susquehanna county. One of his sons, Wilson, born December 28, 1790, purchased land at LeRaysville, 1815, and lived thereon until his death, March 15, 1880.
He married Julia, daughter of Gould Seymour. They had three children:
Chandler, Aurelia (Mrs. Ellsworth) and Elizabeth (Mrs. Dawes).
The Fords -- John, Bela, Isaac and Richard Ford, brothers and natives of Schoharie county, N.Y., came to Bradford county, 1798, first stopping at Wyalusing and in 1800 commenced their settlement in Pike, the place since being known as "Ford Street."
John Ford was the first of the brothers to locate in Pike where he ever afterwards lived. He had married Sarah Curtis and had children: Isaac, John, Ira, Harriet and Alfierce.
Bela Ford sold his first improvement, 1805, to James Brink, then began on the adjoining farm. He had married a Lasdell. "Her father was a physician and the knowledge of medicine she had acquired was almost invaluable to her neighbors, as the services of a physician were difficult to obtain." Mr. Ford's fourth wife was Mrs. Elizabeth Ingalls. His daughter, Prudence, married John Abbott and another daughter, Hannah, married Elisha Cogswell.
Isaac Ford fought for Independence at the age of 16 years.
He served three years as a private in the company commanded by Capt. Andrew
McMoody in Col. John Lamb's regiment of New York Artillery. After settling
in Pike he occupied a log house of the most primitive style east of LeRaysville.
He spent much of his time with his gun and was wont to relate his experiences
in the woods to the boys of the neighborhood, who were amused by his manner
and sometimes at the size of his yarns. It appears that Mr. Ford was never
married, his sister keeping house for him. He was given a pension, which
provided the comforts of his closing years. He died in the early 1840's,
aged about 76 years. His sister, Mary, who lost her mind, wandered into
the woods and, becoming bewildered, was frozen to death.
Myer Family -- Prof. Jacob Myer of Heidelberg, Germany, was engaged to teach the German language in an educational institution in New York and sailed with his family of five children in 1767, fell ill on the voyage, died and was buried at sea. He was possessed of considerable money and property on leaving Germany, but after his death, the captain, taking advantage of the laws and customs then in vogue and the ignorance of the widow and the children concerning the laws and language of the country to which they were going, claimed that they had not paid for their passage (although it had been paid before they sailed for America) and sold the children to pay their passage money. Soon after they landed, the widow died of grief, because of the cruel robbing of her children.
The wife of Professor Myer was a daughter of the celebrated Dr. Dilemater. They were married in 1754 and had five children, three sons and two daughters. One son, John, was taken into what was then Western New York and another son, James, to the South.
Jacob Myer, the eldest son of Prof. Jacob Myer, was sold to a miller by the name of Capt. Garret Winagar of Dutchess county, N.Y., by whom he was educated and whose trade he learned. He married Elizabeth Winagar, daughter of Ulrich Winagar, who was a son of Captain Winagar. By this marriage he had four children, William, Sarah, Elizabeth and Sophronia. He removed from New York to Connecticut, where he remained only a few years then moved to Great Barrington, Mass., where he owned a mill. While living here his wife died and he afterwards married Miss Susanna Taylor of Lee, Mass. By this marriage he had five sons, Jacob, Isaac, Alvin T., Stephen and James, and one daughter, Mary. While living in Massachusetts, Mr. Myer exchanged his mill property for Connecticut title lands in Bradford county and emigrated hither with his family in 1798. Arriving at Milltown, he soon learned that his title was worthless. He then took charge of Shepard's mill for two years, removing in 1800 to Sugar Creek, conducting and improving the Foster mill until 1801 when he removed to Wysox. Here with his son, William, mills were erected and the village of Myersburg established. He died June 7, 1821, aged 66 years. His wife, Elizabeth, died February 21, 1812, aged 78 years. Of his children:
Sarah married Elijah Reed of Dutchess county, N.Y., died with her son, Myer Reed, in Wysox, December 18, 1862, aged 80 years.
Elizabeth married William Foster of North Towanda, died in Canton township.
Sophronia married a Mr. Cline of Dutchess county, N.Y.
Jacob married Miss Clara Wilson, was for a number of years associated with the Manvilles in manufacturing enterprises, finally removed to Tunkhannock where he and his wife died.
Isaac married Sarah, daughter of Amos Mix; was a member of the Pennsylvania legislature, session 1835-'36; died in Towanda, May 17, 1873, aged 79 years, 2 months and 25 days.
Alvin T. married Miss Adelia Parsons, removed to and died at Pittston, Pa.
Stephen married Miss Marilla --------, removed to Illinois, settling on the Fox river where he died.
James never married, went to the Southwest where he was associated
with Henry L. Kinney in his bold enterprises, died on shipboard while enroute to France for his health.
Mary married William Richardson of Newark, N.Y., died in Illinois.
William, born February 8, 1780, was the eldest son of Jacob Myer. In 1800 he went to Wysox, purchased a mill site and secured the right to control the flow of water from Lake Wysauking. He put up a hewed log house into which his father and family moved the next year. Working together, they built a grist-mill, which was supplied by water power from Wysox creek and Lake Wysauking. They soon after built a saw-mill that was run entirely by water from Wysox creek. He early took an active part in public affairs, being commissioned a justice of the peace, 1807. Upon the formation of Bradford county, he was elected one of the first county commissioners, 1812, and again elected to the same office, 1819. He was chosen a member of the Pennsylvania assembly in 1822 and also served his townsmen in many civil capacities. He married Joanna, daughter of Nathaniel Hickok, died May 15, 1842. She was born, 1783, died April 15, 1825. Their children were: Harriet, Elizabeth, Sarah, Emeline Esther, Mary Ellen, Susan, Elijah Reed and Helen Maria. Mr. Myer married for his second wife, Mrs. Lemira (Satterlee) Spalding, widow of Col. Harry Spalding. They had a son, William Laird. Children of William Myer married as follows: Harriet to Rev. Matthew Laird of Lewisburg, Pa.; Elizabeth to Dr. Thomas Sweet of Canaan, Pa.; Sarah died unmarried, aged 32; Emeline Esther died in childhood; Mary Ellen to James Y. Brown of Windsor, Broome county, N.Y.; Susan died in childhood; Helen Maria to James Corydon Woodburn and died in Michigan; William Laird to Mrs. Elizabeth Rube Lambert of Iowa. Elijah Reed, born July 25, 1818, married June 9, 1847, Mary Frances Cochrane of Columbia, Pa. Upon attaining his majority he took a deep interest in political matters and in 1840 made speeches for General Harrison. As chairman of the Whig county committee in 1855, he made the proposition and asked the members of the party to take into consideration the propriety of abandoning the old party and uniting with the "Freesoil" and "Anti-Slavery" Democrats in forming the Republican party. The Whig convention by its members, approved the suggestion by a decisive majority and on the following day took part in the mass-meeting, organizing the Republican party in Bradford county. Mr. Myer was a delegate to the National Republican convention, 1860, and the same year was a presidential elector and cast the vote of the district for Lincoln and Hamlin.
(Illustration of William Myer)
In 1856 he was elected State Senator from the Bradford-Susquehanna-Wyoming district, serving three years. He was appointed in 1861 by President Lincoln, Surveyor of Customs at Philadelphia and served six years. In 1868 he was a delegate to the Republican National convention and cast his vote for
Grant and Colfax, who were nominated and elected that year. He was elected
State Representative in 1872 and '73 and again in 1876, serving as Speaker
of the House, sessions of 1877-'78. He was the "Grand Old Man" in his last
years, dying May 18, 1911, aged nearly 93.
The Bosworths were among the early colonial families of America. Benjamin Bosworth, the ancestor of the Bosworths of Eastern Bradford, came from England, 1634, and settled at Hingham, Mass. Joseph Bosworth and his sons, who formed the most important settlement in Pike, were typical and enterprising Connecticut "Yankees." At one time, they owned, with the exception of one farm, the land extending seven miles from Salmon Bosworth's on Wyalusing Creek to LeRaysville. Sons of Mr. Bosworth preceded him from Litchfield county, their Connecticut home, to Pike, picking out locations and had made many improvements when he came on with the balance of the family in 1806. Joseph Bosworth was born February 28, 1753, married April 17, 1775 to Medima Mallory, died September 7, 1840 in Pike. She was born December 17, 1758 and died April 1, 1831. Both rest in the Stevensville cemetery. They had twelve children: Salmon, Josiah, Orange, Reed, Alba, Hannah, Amarilla, Sarah, John, Medima, Ambrose and Joseph (died aged 3 years). Mr. Bosworth was a faithful pioneer and employed his time diligently in clearing and improving land until the close of his life. Of his children:
Salmon Bosworth, born September 15, 1776 was the first of the family to come to Pike, where he arrived, 1796. "He made a beginning in the forest near the Wyalusing above what is now Stevensville, chopping and clearing off a small piece of land, building a log house and a blacksmith shop. He then went to work at his trade of blacksmith. After two years he returned to Connecticut and married Sally, daughter of David Olmstead. The young couple packed their worldly goods into a one-horse wagon and, bidding farewell to the home of their childhood, turned their faces toward their future home in the wilderness, where they arrived after a journey of twenty-one days. Mr. Bosworth cleared a large farm and made scythes and axes in his shop for the settlers." He took an active part in public affairs and was elected County Commissioner in 1815. His death occurred November 4, 1831. The children were: Mills (died at 25 years), Arabella (Mrs. Edward W. Jones), Mary Electa (Mrs. Edward Crandall).
Josiah Bosworth, born November 26, 1778, followed his brother, Salmon, to Pike about 1797. He settled three miles south of LeRaysville and soon made a break in the wilderness.
His location being on the road between Towanda and Montrose, he opened his log house as a hostelry, which became a noted stopping place and was known as the "Half-Way House." He cleared and improved a large farm, took an active part in military affairs and offered his services in the War of 1812. In 1799 he married Mary Traver, by whom he had thirteen children: Harry M., Traver, Joseph P., John F., Reed M., Jackson K., George W. (died aged 10), Betsy, Electa, Sally, Catharine, Angeline (died in infancy) and Clara. Mr. Bosworth died upon his farm, September 22, 1858; his wife died October 30, 1862, aged 83 years, 9 months and 5 days. Of their children:
Harry M. married Nancy Benham and died October 22, 1824 in Pike, in his 25th year.
Traver married Mary Brush of Pike and had children: George W., Julia, Helen and Jefferson. Mr. Bosworth enlisted in the Civil War when almost 60 years of age, but his patriotism exceeded his strength and in a few months he was sent home.
Joseph P., born November 1803, died June 1884, married Bertha Barnes and had children: Alphonso, born April 2, 1830, married Ruth Russell, died February 1, 1900; Mills, Dwight, Angeline (Mrs. Wirt Johnson) and Catherine (twins), Ruth and Electa. Mr. Bosworth removed West where he died.
John F., born November 24, 1810, died December 9, 1889, married Ruth Perkins and lived at LeRaysville. Their children were: Jasper P., Albert, George, Amy (Mrs. Rufus S. Harnden), Lucelia (Mrs. Stephen Carpenter), Sarah V. (Mrs. Frank Chaffee), Delphene (Mrs. Dr. McCready).
Reed M. married Mary Baldwin and had children, Adelia and Mary Jane. He removed West and died October 3, 1854 at Rising Sun, Ind., aged 48 years and 10 months.
Jackson K., born February 15, 1814, married Mary A., daughter of David Codding, died March 10, 1897 in Pike; she, born October 24, 1813, died October 30, 1895. They had children: Josiah A., born November 13, 1836, a distinguished member of Company B, 141st P. V. in the Civil War; Mary I., born August 2, 1838, married George W. Bosworth; Susan, born April 21, 1840, married Samuel Huber; Clarissa A., born February 20, 1842, married George H. Humphrey, died December 17, 1876; James died in infancy; Sophia M., born March 15, 1845, married Orrin Brown, died October 11, 1904 at Lanark, Ill.; John C., born March 7, 1847, went to Iowa, the last known of him; Percilla L., born February 25, 1849, married 1st Stephen Lewis, 2nd Ezra P.
Keeler; George L., born March 22, 1851, is a wealthy citizen of Manley Junction, Iowa; Alice, born August 1, 1853, married Hollis Atwood; Jay E. died in his 10th year.
Elizabeth Beulah, born January 22, 1812, died January 5, 1900 in Illinois, married October 3, 1832 Dr. Rhesus Barnes and had children, Irvine, Mary and Chloe.
Electa married Daniel Robinson and had a daughter, Helen M.
Sally married Ransford Brink and had children, Leonard M., Adelia and Emma.
Catharine married Fred Robbins and had children, Lillburn J., Emma and Clara; she died August 24, 1851, aged 37.
Clara married Richard Durbin and had a daughter, Mary; she died May 12, 1849, aged 31.
Orange Bosworth, born May 10, 1781, came to Pike about 1801 where he ever afterwards lived. He was a diligent and successful farmer. He married 1st Susanna Terril, 2nd a Mrs. Tupper. He died January 8, 1860. His children were:
Polly married a Mr. Buffington.
Treat married Ann Camp of Camptown.
Louisa married Alfred Weed of LeRaysville.
Maryette married Louis Goodwin of LeRaysville.
Julia married William Lindsley of Waverly, N.Y.
Adella married Newell Briggs of Stevensville.
Lorin married Kate Price of Missouri.
Nelson T. never married.
Helen married Frank Canfield of LeRaysville.
By the second marriage, children were:
Caroline and Emeline, (twins); the former married Mr. Searle of Montrose.
Reed Bosworth, born June 27, 1784, came to Pike after his brothers and father. He was a mechanic of superior skill and followed blacksmithing in conjunction with farming, being the owner of 600 acres of land. He married Amarilla Peck of Woodbridge, Conn., a descendant of Henry Peck, who came from England, 1637, and was one of the signers of the original compact of the Connecticut colony. She was born July 3, 1783 and died March 24, 1864. Mr. Bosworth died August 8, 1863. Both buried in Stevens cemetery. Their children were:
Nelson P. married Emeline Luckey of LeRaysville.
Henry C. married, May 30, 1843, Maria Bossard of Osceola, Pa.
Harriet married Daniel Camp.
Susan married December 5, 1827, Myron Stevens of Stevensville.
Elizabeth P. married Alfred Bossard of Osceola, Pa.
James W. married Laura Bird of Smithfield.
Alba Bosworth, born September 26, 1786, came to Pike with his father. He built a saw-mill and for many years engaged extensively in lumbering, manufacturing large quantities of pine lumber of the finest quality and shipping to Southern markets. After years of hard labor, he sold his mills and land property, moving to the farm improved by his father. The closing days of his peaceful, quiet life were spent at LeRaysville, where he died August 29, 1881, aged 95 years. He married 1st Sally Luckey and had two children. She was born August 7, 1790, died June 2, 1817. Mr. Bosworth's second wife was Sally Pierce. His children were:
Lewis Luckey married Sarah A. Hancock and engaged in farming and merchandising. Their children were: Lewis Alba, a gallant member of Company E, 12th P. V. Cavalry, Civil War, married 1st Ellen Coburn of Warren, 2nd Elbertine L. Sumner of Smithfield; Sarah Catharine married Egbert T. E. Becker of Mt. Carroll, Ill.; Martha Arabella married Martin E. Bailey of LeRaysville.
Eliza Wilson married Nelson Ross of Pike and had two children: Henry Alba married Sarah V. Stevens of Pike; Fannie married Jesse Carl of LeRaysville.
Hannah Bosworth, born January 14, 1789, married Ebenezer Evitts of Connecticut and came to Pike at about the same time or with her parents. She died March 1, 1860. Her husband, born December 11, 1781, died September 7, 1856. Their children were:
Harriet married Albert T. Smith of Pike.
Oliver B., born July 14, 1811, married Betsy Seymour, drowned April 7, 1844 at Towanda, while assisting in running rafts over the dam.
Juliette married O. G. Canfield of Pike.
Sarah married David Blackman of Pike.
Susan married George Johnson of Pike.
Amarilla Bosworth, born December 14, 1790, came to Pike with her parents. She married Fairchild Canfield of Middletown, Susquehanna county; lived in Pike where she died September 10, 1867. Her husband, born February 18, 1786, lost his life, July 22, 1869, by being thrown from a wagon while going to the funeral of a neighbor. Their children, who married as follows, were: Stephen B. to Clarissa Drinkwater; Salmon B. to Angenett Nichols; Alba; Lucretia to John H. Weed; Mary Ann.
Sarah Bosworth, born December 14, 1792, came to Pike with her parents and was married, 1811, to Irad Stevens; died September 4, 1856 and was buried in the Stevens cemetery on the farm where the first grave was that of her daughter, Eliza. Her husband, born May 14, 1792, came to Stevensville with his parents, Samuel and Abiah Stevens, 1802; he was Pike's first postmaster and for many years kept a general store; was a justice of the peace and in 1837 elected county commissioner; died April 3, 1851. Their children who married as follows, were: Valvasa B. to G. W. Ross; William B. to Esther W. Bailey of Brooklyn, Pa.; Abigail to Jonathan Brink; Eliza died October 19, 1843, aged 9 years and 11 months; Edwin P. Boughton, an adopted son, died March 13, 1845, aged 20 years.
John Bosworth, born August 18, 1795, came to Pike with the family. He married Agatha Beecher and went West which was the last known of him.
Medima Bosworth, born October 29, 1797 at Kent, Litchfield county, Conn., came to Pike with her parents, where she was married December 16, 1819 to Stephen Brink. She died May 5, 1879. Her husband, born January 13, 1795 at Owego, N.Y., died March 27, 1877 at LeRaysville. Their only child, George W., born August 31, 1820, married Harriet N. Benham, died December 19, 1898.
Ambrose Bosworth, born March 13, 1801, married Fannie
Rogers and spent most of his life at LeRaysville where he died April 9,
1878. He had no children.
James Bowen came with William Arnold and William Harding
from Rhode Island to Warren in 1797. During the summer he made improvements
on the lands selected and built a log house for the occupancy of his family
which he brought in the next year. Mr. Bowen settled at Warren Center,
long known as "Bowen Hollow." Here on the middle branch of the Wappusening
he built a log grist-mill, the first in the town. The first orchard in
Warren was also started by Mr. Bowen from apple seeds which he brought
from Rhode Island. Some trees from the original planting are still bearing
fruit. His son, Harry or William, born August 27, 1800, was the first white
child to see the light in Warren. Another son was Abner, who was the father
of Robert S. Bowen. Mrs. Bowen and several others died in 1814 during an
epidemic of fever.
The Cooks are of Scotch origin, and the prominent family settling in Orwell, descendant from Henry Cook, who came from Kent county, England, and joined the Plymouth colony previous to 1640.
Zenas Cook, the first of the family to locate in Bradford county, came from Connecticut, winter of 1795-'96, in company with Asahel Johnson to explore the country. They were so favorably impressed that a company was formed and the entire town of Minden, covering most of Orwell, purchased. Mr. Cook took lands and settled at Potterville. After learning that his Connecticut claim was worthless, he abandoned his improvements and evidently returned East. Later his father, Joel Cook, and brothers, Joel and Uri, became permanent settlers of Orwell.
Joel Cook, a native of Connecticut, was a true patriot of the Revolution, enlisting in 1776 and serving three years. His father took his place in the army for a short time, at his own request, was taken sick and died; and, notwithstanding this event, the son returned to the army and claimed his place and again answered to the name of Joel Cook, served his time out and got an honorable discharge. Among other engagements he participated in the siege of Mud Island and the battle of Germantown. The following circumstance during his service is related: "While the division of the army to which he belonged lay at Valley Forge, he was taken sick, being cared for by an Indian. The doctor gave up his case as hopeless and left him for the night. His Indian nurse went up to his chamber and went to sleep. In the night his thirst became almost unendurable and he was unable to awaken the Indian. He remembered he had a four-ounce bottle of liquid camphor, which, with much difficulty, he managed to get from his knapsack, only intending to wet his lips, but soon found he had taken it all, and very soon was in the highest state of perspiration, which, instead of proving the means of his death, saved his life. The doctor said in the morning that the fever was entirely gone but wondered that the dose of camphor had not killed him." Mr. Cook married Dinah Dunbar of Wallingford, Conn. They had four sons and six daughters. Huldah married Truman Johnson, an Orwell pioneer. In 1814 Mr. Cook came to Orwell with his son, Uri, and lived until his death, September 6, 1836 at the age of 90 years and 32 days. His remains rest in the Darling cemetery.
Joel Cook, Jr. was born December 29, 1791 at Plymouth, Litchfield county, Conn. In 1810 he came to Orwell and purchased a large tract of land at Potterville where he settled permanently. He spent his life in agricultural pursuits, clearing his land and fitting it for the plow; was prominent in all the movements of his day having a tendency to better the condition of his neighbors; was the first to organize a Sunday school in Orwell township and was largely interested in the temperance movement of 1829; he was a great reader and familiarized himself with
the best literature of his time, besides spending many of his leisure hours studying his Bible; his life was pure from his childhood to his death, which occurred May 12, 1886. Mr. Cook married May 22, 1814, Polly, daughter of Dan and Polly (Chubbuck) Russell. She was born January 29, 1794, died August 15, 1861. They had children as follows: Rev. Darwin married Adelia Lewis; Mary; Cyrus married Caroline Ellsworth; Seth married Miss E. C. Pendleton; Ralph died, aged 20; Dr. Philip B. married 1st Emma Langworthy, 2nd Mary Haigh.
Uri Cook came to Orwell with his father in 1814. He occupied lands adjoining his brother Joel and devoted his life to farming. His wife, Phebe, died at the age of 54 years, and he in 1860, aged 80. He left one son, Zeri, and four daughters, Sally (Matthews), Elizabeth (Blook), Fanny (Potter) and Laura.