Ephraim Blakesley came to the county in 1798, locating in West Burlington. He seems to have been a man of considerable enterprise, but his career was cut short by an unfortunate accident. He built a saw-mill and in 1808, as he was trying to put the first saw-log on the carriage of his mill, he slipped and fell, his head being caught between the log and carriage, killing him instantly. His widow afterwards married a Mr. Prouty and for her third husband, Jehial Ferris. In her will, Mrs. Ferris names as her children, Lydia Patrick, Nathaniel Blakesley, Ephraim Blakesley, Joseph Prouty and Sarah. Obadiah and Amaziah J. Blakesley, later prominent citizens, evidently belonged to the Ephraim Blakesley family.
James Satterlee, who enlisted at the age of 13 years to fight for American independence, was a native of Stonington, Conn. In April 1777, he enlisted in the company of Capt. James Eldridge in the regiment commanded by Col. Jedediah Huntingdon of the Connecticut line and continued in the service until peace was declared. After the war he settled in Otsego county, N.Y., whence he removed to Smithfield, Bradford county in 1799. He and his family and effects were in the first wagon that passed from Athens to Smithfield and were two days in making the journey, having to camp out one night, the distance being about ten miles. He settled at East Smithfield. Two of the Satterlee children, a boy and girl, were in the woods some months after their arrival, picking berries, accompanied by a pet shoat, which was also engaged in the same agreeable business of berry picking. Hearing an outcry from the pig, the children looked around and saw their pet in the arms of a bear, which was leisurely walking off on his hind legs with the squealing shoat. Mr. Satterlee was once arrested on suspicion of
shooting one of the surveyors of the Pennsylvania title but, proving an alibi, was discharged by the jury without leaving the box, but his defense cost him all of his property. In his declining years the government gave him a pension for his faithful services. He died about 1830, aged 66 years, and lies beside his wife in the Asa Allen burying ground. He had three children: William died in 1811 unmarried; Polly married Dr. Darius Bullock, died April 29, 1863 in her 71st year without issue; Sarah married, January 8, 1809, Abiram Pierce and spent her days in Smithfield; she was the mother of Christopher E., William S., Stephen, Mary (Mrs. John Spalding), Jane L. (Mrs. John J. Johnson), Amos, Emma (Mrs. Horace Pomeroy).
James Shores, said to be a cousin of Samuel Shores (page 266), came to Hornbrook about 1799. He was a blacksmith and is remembered going about the neighborhood with his kit of tools, as it was called in those days, "whipping the cat." He died March 5, 1837, aged 67 years. His wife, Elizabeth Hamilton, died October 18, 1853 in her 74th year. They had eight children:
Stephen, born February 14, 1801, married Diana, daughter of Richard Horton, died August 31, 1877 in Sheshequin.
Jonathan married Sarah Merithew and removed to Michigan where he died.
Silas H., born February 9, 1815, married Eve Ann, daughter of Jeremiah Kilmer, died June 1, 1883 in Sheshequin.
Elmer died September 25, 1847 in his 30th year unmarried.
Eliza, born December 31, 1807, married 1st Richard Horton, 2nd Abram Barner, died May 7, 1898.
Sally married William, son of Joshua Horton.
Nancy married William Ferguson and removed to Illinois.
Diantha married in Illinois 1st James Smith, 2nd a Mr. Bennefield.
(Transcriber's note--Illinois records show Diantha Shores married William W. Smith in Coles County, March 25, 1842; married George W. Bennefield there, February 7, 1868.)
John Dyer, a native of Connecticut, when fourteen years old came to Wysox in 1799. He generally gave his services to other people, but was a very respectable gentleman in the community. He married Elizabeth Holley of Standing Stone, died July 30, 1851, aged 66 years; his wife died February 19, 1853. Their children were:
William, while helping cut a road through the Standing Stone narrows, was struck by a stone and died from his injuries. He was about 22 years of age and unmarried.
Eliza married Philip Sickler of Wysox.
Levi married Elizabeth Romaine of Wisconsin and died in Kansas.
Hiram married Nancy Dickens of Rome.
Benjamin married Amanda Brown of Monroe, N.Y., lived in Wysox.
Sarah married 1st Robert Ridgway, 2nd E. S. Rolls.
John W. married Fannie Roberts of Wisconsin, served with Sherman's army in the Civil War.
William Finch, a native of Connecticut and a Revolutionary soldier, was the first settler on what is known as the Towanda Hills. While fighting for Independence he was captured and taken a prisoner to Montreal. With the aid of his jack-knife, he dug his way out of the prison and, finding a canoe nearby, he succeeded in making his escape to the American shore. He kept secreted during the day and traveled by night without provisions. Finally he could not endure the pangs of hunger longer and, coming to a house where he saw no men around, he ventured in. His hostess proved to be a French woman who, discerning his wants, gave him a loaf of rye bread. Upon this and the leeks which he found in the woods, he subsisted several days. His guides through the wilderness were the sun and moss on the trees. After much suffering, he finally reached the American army, resumed his place and served until the war closed.
He married and settled for a short time at Danbury, thence removed to Unadilla, N.Y. whence he found his way to Towanda. Digging a canoe out of a large pine log, he took his family with such effects as he possessed on board and floated down the Susquehanna. He landed at Bowman's eddy (about 1798), built a cabin on Welles' flats and raised a crop of corn. On account of the annual overflows and thinking that the heavy timbers on the hills would become very valuable, he decided to pick out a farm on the higher ground. Accordingly he built a log cabin on what is known as the William Welch place, moved in and began his battle with the wild woods. His home was of usual pioneer architecture, there not being a nail in the whole structure. It was floored with slabs of split pine, dressed down as nearly even as possible and covered with a cob-roof. The two doors were opposite, so that a horse could be employed to draw in logs for the huge fire place. A greased cloth was stretched across an opening left in the logs for a window. This novel dwelling was supplied with furniture of Mr. Finch's own manufacture. He hollowed out a white pine stump and, with the aid of a spring-pole and pestle, cracked his corn for bread. He planted apple and other seeds and started a nursery; some of the trees of his original orchard are yet standing and bearing fruit.
Mr. Finch was a very powerful man. Once a large grey wolf attacked one of his yearlings; he hastened to the spot, seized the wolf by
the hind-legs and soon thrashed the life out of him. It is said of Mr. Finch, when 70 years old, that he could take a barrel of cider by the chimes and put it in his cart. Necessity demanded the utmost economy--Mr. Finch made his own liquids and tanned both the leather which he manufactured into shoes for the family and buckskin trousers for himself. He was also a tailor and made into garments the cloth which his wife spun and wove. Their diligence was rewarded by plenty and their closing days were spent in "honest comfort." Mr. Finch had married Mary Huxley. Both were devout Methodists. He died May 3, 1836 in his 83rd year, having enjoyed the benefits of a pension under the Act of 1832. His wife died when past 80 years of age. They are buried at Cole's. Their children were:
Martha (Patty) married Thomas Green.
William and Benjamin both died in young manhood, unmarried.
Thankful married Richard Davidson of Towanda.
Benoni inherited the homestead and died in Ohio while on a visit. When about 19 years of age, he met with a serious misfortune. On "Cold Friday," January 19, 1810 he had started to Fowler's mill with his ox-cart. When going down the dug-way road, the cart tipped over on him and being unable to free himself, his feet were so frozen that the amputation of both was necessary.
Jeremiah Taylor, a native of Berkshire county, Mass., in the winter of 1798-'99 came with his family to Sugar Creek, remaining the first year in West Burlington where crops were planted and harvested. In the meantime he had selected lands in the central part of Granville on the North branch of Towanda creek, made a clearing and put up a log cabin. He cut a road through the forest and in the month of March, 1800 moved to his new home on an ox-sled. "Night was falling when the oxen were unyoked and turned loose with the cow; the few household effects were brought into the cabin, a blanket was hung up at the door and another at the window, a fire was kindled in the fire-place (on the ground) and then their first repast in their forest home was prepared and eaten." Such were the beginning and the environment of the first permanent settler in Granville township. Mr. Taylor struggled faithfully, clearing and improving land until the time of his death, 1827, at the age of 55 years. In 1815 he built the first framed barn in the township. Jeremiah Taylor married Martha, daughter of Oliver Bailey, a hero of the old French war and war for Independence. Both were early and devout Baptists. They had four children, Jeremiah, Levi, Sylvester and Abigail.
Jeremiah, the eldest son, was a child when his parents came from Massachusetts.
He occupied a part of the homestead on which in 1819 he erected the first framed house in Granville; in 1820 he built the original grist-mill (ground corn only) and a few years later the first saw-mill; he also established a chair and rake factory. Mr. Taylor married Mary, daughter of David and Mary (Ferris) White of Troy. Their children were Benjamin F., Luman D., Lemira (Mrs. Dennis Perry) and Malvina (Mrs. Heman Bush). Mr. Taylor came to his death in 1849 from injuries by a horse.
Levi was born September 19, 1797 at Stockbridge, Mass. Practically his whole life was spent in Granville where he died April 27, 1890 in his 93rd year. He was an early school teacher but devoted most of his time to farming and lumbering. In 1849 he opened the first public-house for the entertainment of travelers in Granville. He married 1st Louisa, daughter of Sterling and Betsy (Stone) Holcomb by whom he had children, Alvira (Mrs. S. Denton Perry), Sterling, Betsy (Mrs. Hiram Reynolds) and Volney; married 2nd Mary Landon, no children; married 3rd Sarah Campbell and had children, Milan, Hollis H. and Fred.
Sylvester, born October 9, 1803, was the first white child to see the light in Granville. He was a man of considerable literary ability, contributed much to the press on religious and secular matters and gathered a large amount of data for a history of Bradford county; in 1840 he took the census of Western Bradford and was for 24 years postmaster at Granville Center. His death occurred in January, 1881. He married Susannah, daughter of Paul DeWitt of West Burlington. They had one child, Orlando, born April 13, 1832, married April 17, 1853, Esther M. Fowler, died December 4, 1895.
Abigail married Isaac Putnam and spent her days in Granville. Their children were Alfred, Sylvester, Orville T. and Milton.
The Woosters, David and Isaac, brothers, came from Connecticut as settlers on Towanda creek in LeRoy. The former arrived in 1797, remained only a few years then moved to the state of New York where he reared a large family.
Isaac Wooster came as a holder of Connecticut title about 1799, locating on the A. G. Kelley farm. He was a man of considerable prominence in the early days of LeRoy, where he died January 1, 1815. He had married, March 30, 1791, Mary Ann Perry, who died February 24, 1820 at LeRoy. They had three children:
Philo married for (his) 1st wife, Sibyl Morse.
Enos, a twin brother of Philo, married Lura Crofut.
Phebe married James S. Crofut.
Benjamin Stone, a native of Massachusetts, born November 6, 1761, who had married Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel Wilcox, followed the latter to West Franklin in 1799. He soon moved into LeRoy, locating permanently and became quite an extensive land owner. His children were Daniel, Horace, Benjamin, Betsy, Hannah and Susanna.
Horace married Cynthia Lindsley of LeRoy.
Benjamin, Jr. married Betsy, daughter of John Knapp.
Betsy married Sterling Holcomb of LeRoy.
Hannah married Gurdon Griswold of LeRoy.
Susanna married 1st John Smiley, 2nd Nehemiah Allen.
Other Early Comers to LeRoy who remained for longer or shorter periods were:
1796--Dennison Kingsbury, Elihu Knight, George Brown, Joel Bodwell;
1797--Peter Gordon, Nathan Gordon, Nicholas Gordon and Tim Culver, a noted hunter;
1798--Luther Hinman, David Andrews;
1799--Miles Oakley, George Head and Aaron Cook, a chair manufacturer.
Nathaniel Morgan in 1799 emigrated from Connecticut and located at what is now Austinville. He had previously bought the Connecticut title to 17,000 acres of land, comprising the present township of Columbia, a part of Springfield and a portion of Eastern Tioga, for which it is said he paid $7,000 in half-dollar silver pieces. Mr. Morgan made a clearing, built a cabin, raised a crop of potatoes, which he buried, sowed a piece of wheat and went back for his family with whom he returned the following Spring. He was also accompanied by David Watkins, Oliver Canfield, Joseph Batterson, Jeremiah Chapman, Aaron Bennett and Samuel Lamphere, whom he induced to come with him by giving them each a deed of 50 acres. The prospects were, indeed, dreary enough when these bold pioneers settled in Columbia. It was a dense wilderness with not even a foot-path in which to walk and nothing but blazed trees to guide them. They were men poor in property but rich in energy and perseverance. They immediately set to work and in a few days each had a cabin with a bark-roof and ground floor.
Mr. Morgan came from Reading, Conn. His Connecticut title proved worthless and after years of litigation, the Pennsylvania title of the Binghams was established, and he re-purchased 500 acres of his vast tract at a bushel of wheat per acre, or its equivalent in currency. Mr. Morgan and his sons were great hunters and it is related that their peltry soon brought them enough to clear the debt. He died in the Summer of 1813, being survived by his wife, Sarah, and three children:
James, who occupied a part of the homestead, married Margaret,
daughter of John McClelland and had 11 children, three of the sons being John, Phineas C. and Nathaniel; died August 20, 1867, aged 78. His wife to whom he had been married 54 years, died September 8, 1863.
Phineas Chapman was a noted hunter. He married Hannah ------ and occupied a portion of the original purchase; was the last survivor of the little band that came to Columbia in 1800.
Nancy married Amos Satterlee and moved to Ohio where she died.
Eli Parsons, who served his country in the struggle for Independence, was born January 23, 1756 at Enfield, Conn. In 1799 he and his son, Eli, came on and took up 400 acres, Connecticut title, in Columbia township. They began improvements and built a log cabin near Columbia X Roads. In the Fall, Mr. Parsons returned East, Eli remaining and chopping a fallow during the winter. The next year the father arrived with the family. Mr. Parsons was a tanner and currier by occupation and carried on that business as soon as he could make the necessary arrangements. In the meantime he went to clearing his land, which he purchased a second time, paying at the rate of one dollar, or a bushel of corn, per acre. He continued to reside in Columbia until his death, November 11, 1834. He was given a pension under the Act of 1832 for his faithful services in the Revolution. His biographer says of him: "He had long been distinguished for his benevolence and piety. His death will be deeply deplored by the church to which he belonged, as well as a numerous circle of relatives and friends."
Mr. Parsons had married Rebecca Allen of Enfield, their children being Rebecca, Eli, Henry and Lydia. After her death he married Huldah Kellogg of Westfield, Mass. Their children were Daniel K., James, John, Huldah, Cynthia and Achsah. Of the daughters, Rebecca married John King and moved to Ohio; Cynthia married Reuben Merritt and settled in Ohio; Achsah married Elisha S. Goodrich and died in Towanda.
Eli, Jr. married Hannah, daughter of Samuel Rockwell and occupied the homestead until his death in 1829. Their children were Allen S., Almira (Mrs. Lorenzo Jones), Olive (Mrs. William H. Pierce), Minerva (Mrs. Thomas J. Strait) and Cynthia (Mrs. William Sherman).
James married Louisa, daughter of Burton Strait and occupied a portion of the homestead. He was the father of Eli B. Parsons, Esq.
Daniel K. followed farming in Columbia. He was the father of the late Elijah A. Parsons of Towanda.
Francis Snechenberger, a German, came from Philadelphia to Milltown, 1799. "He was a deer-skin leather dresser. Loads of skins were taken to him and there dressed and manufactured into mittens, moccasins and breeches, until a load was made out, which he peddled about the country, bringing home money and necessaries for his family. The day he was 70 years old he was drowned by falling into his spring." His wife was an Irish woman who, as a maiden, had worked for her passage across the ocean. She nursed in Philadelphia, was studious and, having access to some medical works, acquired a good knowledge of medicine." After settling in Athens, she conceived the idea of becoming a female physician and nurse. She soon attained celebrity and had an extensive practice." Her only daughter married William, son of Phillip Crans.
Samuel Lenox, a native of Canada, came with his family to Ulster in 1799. He had not long been a resident of the town when his wife died and the family was broken up. He went to the Mohawk Valley where he afterwards married and lived until the time of his death. His son, Daniel, born August 7, 1794, was given a home by Esquire Holcomb until he was old enough to care for himself. In 1818 he married Betsy Head of Burlington and in 1822 purchased a tract of land on Oak Hill. Here he began hewing himself out a home in the wilderness and abode there, until his death, February 24, 1874. His improvement was the first on the hill, a large farm having been cleared by the assistance of his sons. Mrs. Lenox, born April 22, 1799, died April 18, 1881. They had 13 children, 10 of whom grew up as follows: George, John, Daniel, James, David S., Edward P., Jane (Mrs. Henry Kitchen), Sarah (Mrs. Huston McKinney), Mary (Mrs. George M. Ross) and Amy (Mrs. Edward Thompson).
Timothy Beeman in the month of March, 1799, moved with his family from Litchfield county, Conn. to Wilmot, being twenty days on the road. He came with two teams, a yoke of oxen and sled and a span of horses and sleigh. He located on Sugar Hill, then an unbroken wilderness. Being a carpenter by trade, in 1801 he built and occupied a framed house. Mr. Beeman had purchased his land under Connecticut title. His son, Seymour, afterwards bought the Pennsylvania title to the farm. Timothy Beeman married ----- Grace and had three sons, Seymour, Judson and Alfred and three daughters. Both he and his wife died upon the place, the former in August 1830, aged 76 years.
Seymour, the eldest son, who never married, occupied the farm many years after his parents' death.
"He was an honest, good-hearted man, celebrated for making sensational speeches." He sold to James Holland and moved to North Mehoopany where he died.
Alfred married Rachel, daughter of Garrett Smith, and moved to New York state.
Judson located in other parts.
Simeon Marsh served his country, War of the Revolution, as a lieutenant in the company of Capt. James Broderick, 4th New Jersey regiment, commanded by Colonel Spencer, from November, 1776 until June, 1778 when he was discharged. He and two of his sons, Ephraim and Eliphalet, all of whom were noted hunters and marksmen, early came to Wilmot. Later he moved to Vaughan Hill, made the first improvement there which he sold to Stephen Charlotte. He moved to Rummerfield and afterwards to Ohio. In 1820 he was 70 years old and his wife, "Jenny," a cripple, 62.
Ephraim located in Wilmot about 1799. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married for his second wife Esther (Clark) Miller and died in Rome township, 1854, in his 78th year. He had a son, Sidney.
Eliphalet was a shoemaker. He married Susanna Mowrey and is said to have moved to the Allegheny. Others of the Marsh family who lived in Wilmot were Benjamin and widow, Elizabeth Marsh.
Samuel Griffin served as a fifer in Captain Clark's company, 1st Connecticut regiment, 1776, until the surrender at Yorktown. In 1799 he moved from Middlefield, Conn. to Canton, Bradford county, settling the Goff farm. His privations were many. Once he was compelled to carry a bag of grain upon his back to Ulster to get it ground, though he commonly used his samp-mortar. Mr. Griffin, who was of Welsh descent, died soon after his arrival in the new country and his death is said to have been that of the first adult in Canton township. His wife survived him some years. Three sons and a daughter settled in the county. The daughter married Nathan Roberts, who accompanied Mr. Griffin to Canton. The sons were:
Samuel occupied the homestead and was the father of six sons and five daughters. He was a man of considerable prominence in the community, taking an active part in military affairs and holding the office of captain. His death occurred in 1821, his wife, Anna, surviving. Three of his sons were John W., Samuel and George W.
Reuben, born November 3, 1781, followed shoemaking and farming; settled in Sheshequin where he died, March 22, 1862. He married Sarah, daughter of Jared Norton, and had children: Minerva married
Isaac Lyons; Arlette married Dr. Amos Park; John M. never married; Angenora never married; Samuel married Susan M. Wells of Orwell; Sarissa never married; Sarah married William H. Bishop; Miles.
John, born March 5, 1783, married July 5, 1810, Betsy, daughter of Ezra Spalding of Canton; settled in Athens, kept a public house and was an extensive farmer; died March 1, 1843. Children: Eliza (Mrs. McKnett), Lucy, Hannah, John, Jane, Sarissa and Mary (Mrs. Abram Morley). John, Jr. married Nancy, daughter of Isaac Morley, and was a man of prominence. He served as captain of Company H, 57th P. V. in the Civil War. His only son was the late Sheriff Job Griffin.
Jeremiah White came from Wyoming to Wysox about 1798, remained a short time and married Jane, daughter of Sebastian Strope, who as a girl had been carried into captivity by the Indians. Mr. White settled near Owego, where he died, 1805, from injuries received in a mill.
John Felton came as a settler on Towanda creek, 1799, locating in the Scovell neighborhood. He was the first constable of Towanda township, 1808. After some years he removed to other parts.
James Davidson came as a settler under Connecticut title to Towanda about 1799. He located near the old nail works, sold his tract about 1809 to William Means and removed with his family to Bainbridge, N.Y. His first wife, by whom he had children, Richard, George, James and Lydia (Mrs. Patchen), died while he was living in Towanda. He afterwards married "Widow Loomis" and had two children, Henry and Lydia (Mrs. James Long).
Richard married 1st Thankful, daughter of William Finch and had a son, Benjamin, a life-long resident of Towanda Hills; married 2nd Polly Frisbie of Monroe and emigrated to Ohio where he died.
Henry settled in Ulster where he was a prominent citizen.
The Barbers were the first to advance near the headwaters of Sugar Creek, going thereto as early as 1798. They are said to have possessed Indian blood. Thomas located on a property afterwards owned by G. F. Viele. He was a noted woodsman and built a small grist-mill in the glen on his place. Other members of the family--Joseph, John, Solomon, Reuben and Thomas, Jr.--were settlers in the same neighborhood. Reuben was known as "Dr. Barber" as he frequently treated cases by the application of native herbs.
Smithfield Comers of 1799 were Oliver Hays, David Couch, Elias Needham and perhaps others. John Bassett came into the county in 1799 and moved to Smithfield in 1806, died there, the family afterwards selling and moving to Illinois.
Hays went West in 1820, and Couch and Needham, after a number of years in an unsuccessful effort to establish a home, moved to other parts.
Reuben Hale, a native of Glastonbury, Conn., born February 6, 1773, caught the Yankee ardor of making a trip to the beautiful Susquehanna valley, hoping to make his fortune and find a desirable home. Accordingly in 1799 in the course of his travels, he visited the family of Isaac Tracy at Tioga Point, former acquaintances in Connecticut, and while there, was induced to buy a tract of land lying on Towanda creek. He subsequently made several additional purchases of lands adjoining and became the owner of the old saw-mill on Towanda creek. (On) February 27, 1803 he married Wealthy, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (Rogers) Tracy of Tioga Point and moved into a log house which had been occupied by the Doughertys. Here he lived until 1810 when he erected and occupied the spacious mansion, known as the Hale residence and still the home of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Mr. Hale was a man of splendid judgment and performed many public duties. In 1810 he was appointed Towanda's first postmaster and was for several years a justice of the peace. He accumulated a fine property and was one of the county's most prominent and esteemed citizens. His death occurred January 30, 1825. His wife, a lady of refinement, was one of the first school teachers in Towanda. She was born January 15, 1777, died April 12, 1854. Their children were:
Eliza, born November 27, 1804, married Gen. William Patton of Towanda, died July 9, 1841.
Nancy, born March 14, 1808, married Benjamin Spees of Towanda, died February 6, 1832.
James Tracy, born October 14, 1810, read law and became eminent in the legal profession; located at Bellefonte and was appointed president judge of the 25th district to fill a vacancy in 1851; was elected to Congress from the 18th district in 1858 and re-elected in 1860 and '62; died April 6, 1865 at Bellefonte.
Elias Wellington, born December 13, 1816, occupied the homestead and for a number of years followed lumbering and milling in connection with farming. He took an active interest in public and military affairs, held the office of major and was popularly known as "Major Hale." In 1850 he was appointed deputy U.S. Marshal and as such made the census enumeration of Towanda. He was chosen a presidential elector in 1864. In his various business affairs he was highly successful. He was a royal entertainer and a gentleman of the old school.
Major Hale married Miss Mary J. Taylor of Glastonbury, Conn., who survives. He died April 21, 1905.
Russell Gibbs, born November 26, 1767, came from Vermont to Sheshequin in 1799 and began improvements on the Bidlack place. In 1806 he and his brother-in-law, Reuben Bumpus, removed to Bumpville where they each had purchased 50 acres of land of Joseph Kingsbury. They at first built a log house and lived together on the present Richards farm. Later, Bumpus built on the west side of the road on the Drake place. Mr. Gibbs continued improvements and died November 19, 1839 on the farm where he commenced. He married Rachel Pierce, who was born August 25, 1782, died February 5, 1852. Their children were:
Phebe, born February 17, 1800, married Hiram Drake.
Elizabeth, born August 22, 1801, married Hosea Billings.
Huldah, born November 15, 1803, married Richard Struble.
Permilla, born March 24, 1805, married James L. Coe who died in the West, aged 109 years.
Hiram, born May 25, 1806, died unmarried, March 21, 1829.
Lucy, born June 12, 1809, married Richard Struble, being his 2nd wife.
Russell, born October 13, 1810, married Nancy Shores.
Daniel P., born May 9, 1812, married Samantha Bristol, died April 15, 1889.
Matilda, born August 29, 1819, married John Bishop.
Alexander and Vincent (twins) were born August 26, 1821. The former married Sally Ann Clapper and the latter Betsy Buffum.
David Olmstead of New Milford, Connecticut, who had three daughters married and living in Pike, also, came with the balance of the family about 1799. He settled on the opposite side of Wyalusing creek from the Bostwick farm. Among other things, he always clung to the colonial style of dress, wearing the old-fashioned shoe-buckles until the close of his life. Of his known children: Asa; Lois married Dimon Bostwick; Mary married Benajah Bostwick; Sally married Salmon Bosworth; Adolphus married Mary, daughter of William Johnson; Ansel married Rhoda, daughter of Ezekiel Brown.
The Omans, John and George, came to Upper Sheshequin in or before 1799. They remained only a few years. John married Polly Wallace, sister of Mrs. George Murphy. Their last years were spent at Geneseo, N.Y.
Henry Ellsworth, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Wyalusing in or before 1796. He moved to Pike thence into Susquehanna county. He had sons, Henry, James, Joseph and Jonathan.
James married a daughter of Mrs. Catharine Bartges and lived for a time in Wilmot where he engaged in lumbering and shingle-making. He had a Durham boat, used in running the river.
Joseph married a Miss Chilson of Asylum and settled near his father in Susquehanna county.
Jonathan who married Deborah Canfield, "was a great hunter. One day when in the woods, he found a long hollow tree on the ground, which, from the appearance of one end, he judged to be the home of some wild animal. He prepared to make a discovery, by a Putnam-like feat, and entered the hollow with his knife before him, drawing after him his loaded gun, muzzle hindmost, to serve in case he should be attacked in the rear. He emerged unharmed, however, with three young panthers which he bore home without being disturbed." He was the father of John A. Ellsworth who died October 2, 1901 in Pike in his 78th year.
John Hicks came to the Sheshequin neighborhood in 1799. About 1808 he settled at North Rome where he undoubtedly died. His wife, Nancy, died November 18, 1840, aged 75 years and is buried at Towner Hill. He had two sons, John M. and George.
John M. married Eunice, daughter of John C. Forbes, and settled on the Joseph Allen place. He built a factory and manufactured furniture. He died June 6, 1875, aged 86 years, and his wife, April 8, 1877 aged 84 years. Their children were Albert, Alfred, Jackson, Nancy (Mrs. Cyrus Merrill), Julia (Mrs. Daniel B. Cotton), Alma (Mrs. Elijah W. Towner), Eunice and Artemissa.
George married Sarah Post and after some years located in other parts.
Laban Landon, a native of New Jersey, born January 13, 1759, was one of Washington's body-guard and served throughout the war for Independence. He married Elizabeth Gillis, a native of Newbury, N.Y. and in 1799 settled in Canton township, Bradford county, on the O. B. Grantier farm. He was both a physician and farmer. In 1822 the family removed to Troy where Mr. Landon died in June, 1828, but returned to Canton in 1830. Mrs. Landon died in June, 1848 in her 84th year. Their children were Laban X., Mahala, Benjamin, Ezra, Levi D., Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Grantier), Sarah, Mercy, Hannah (Mrs. Irvine Rogers), Joshua G., David S., Catharine (Mrs. William Wilsey), Nancy (Mrs. Alpheus Peters) and Eldaah.
Levi D. died in Canton, 1862, leaving a wife, Lucinda and children, Benjamin, David, Elisha, John W., Levi F., Lucy (Mrs. Lyon) and Mary E. (Mrs. Smith).
Joshua G., born February 27, 1800, was the first white child to see the light in Canton.
Eldaah, born April 15, 1808, married 1st Lucy Loveridge and had children, Warren, Newton, Lucinda (Mrs. Parkhurst) and Charles; married 2nd Hannah (Heverly) Annable; died August 10, 1895, being the last survivor of the family.
Other Canton Settlers before 1800 were:
1797--Moses Emerson who was both a physician and farmer, located on the farm afterwards owned by Ichabod Sellard; he died before 1813 when the property was assessed to his widow, "Joanna" Emerson. Benjamin Babcock settled the Reuben Loomis farm and Nathaniel Babcock on the Jacob Beardsley place; both remained in the town many years. John Crandall from Connecticut located in the Grover neighborhood, tarried a few years then sold to Stephen Sellard and moved down on Lycoming creek. Ebenezer Bixby came in and occupied a cabin for three years on the G. W. Griffin place.
1799--Nathan Roberts came as a settler with his father-in-law, Samuel Griffin. Joseph Van Sick, a German doctor, located in the town for the practice of his profession. Daniel Bailey began improvements on the Enoch Sellard farm. Daniel Ingraham and Eleazer Allis joined the Canton settlers.
The Fowlers, settling in Bradford county, are descendent from William Fowler who arrived at Boston, June 26, 1637 from London, England in company with Rev. John Davenport, Theophilus Eaton, Peter Pruden and "others of good character and fortunes." In 1638, in company with Mr. Davenport, he sailed from Quinnipiac, or New Haven, where he resided a year or more. He was present at the famous meeting in Mr. Newman's barn, June 4, 1639, when the peculiar constitution and policy of Mr. Davenport was agreed upon and subscribed to that agreement. In the spring of 1639 the settlement of Milford had been arranged and Mr. Fowler was the first-named of the trustees. At the first meeting of the Milford Company he was chosen one of the Judges. The church was organized in 1639 and he was elected one of the "Seven Pillars." He held various offices in church and state and was deeply engaged in public improvements until his death in 1660. His son, Capt. William Fowler, remained at New Haven, married, took the oath of "fidelity" and was admitted to the General Court. His second son, Jonathan, removed from New Haven to Norwich, thence to Windham where he died.
Jonathan's youngest son, Jonathan, "the Sergeant," was celebrated for his great size and strength, of which wonderful stories are told. He is reputed to have been seven feet in height and weighed over 400 pounds. His muscular powers were enormous. He could lift a barrel of cider by the chimes and drink from the bung-hole. He once attacked and killed a bear with a club, from which feat his fame spread abroad, so that George III, then King of England, had a painting made, the margin bearing the inscription, "Jonathan Fowler, the giant of America, in the act of killing a bear." He had ten children of whom Gordon, the Monroe pioneer, was the eighth.
Gordon Fowler -- Some of the early settlers of Monroe came to the township under Connecticut title. Fifty acres were offered as a gratuity to the first settlers. Gordon Fowler and his sons, Jonathan and Rogers, bought 1,100 acres at a dollar per acre under this title of Reed Brockaway and accordingly came in and occupied their purchase. In September, 1800 Mr. Fowler started from his home in Tolland, Conn. with two yoke of oxen and a horse in one team and two horses in another. He crossed the Hudson at Catskill, taking the horses and wagons at several trips. From Catskill the party came by way of Unadilla, finding no bridges over the streams and in many places very bad roads. Reaching Milltown, Mr. Fowler left his family with his son, Rogers, who had preceded (1798) him in the county, and came on and built a log house on the W. W. Decker place. However, before moving his family from the East, Mr. Fowler and his son, Daniel, had been in "viewing lands" and made a purchase. Upon settling in Monroe, the Fowlers were required to cut their own road up the creek from where the covered bridge now is. They found a family by the name of Wheeler in a little log house about forty rods farther up the creek. The Fowlers had paid for the lands and after having erected a grist-mill, saw-mill and made other improvements, their titles proved worthless. However, not being daunted by such adverse fortune, they repurchased on long credit of the Holland Land Company and this time were more fortunate; but it required the most stubborn energy and perseverance to bring forth the fruits of husbandry from a wild and densely wooded region. After nine years of struggle and privation, the father was called to his eternal rest, freed from hardship and toil. Gordon Fowler was born April 16, 1739, married February 15, 1758, Sarah Rogers, died November 19, 1809. By this marriage his children were Jonathan, Daniel, Elijah, Rogers, Asa, Gordon and Sarah. He married 2nd, December 28, 1775, Mary Chapman, who was born July 21, 1750, died July 26, 1832.
Their children were Mary, Hannah, Russell, Roxy, Austin and Betsy.
Jonathan Fowler, born March 2, 1759, came to Monroe with his father. He was a soldier of the Revolution, having served as a private under Captain Savage in the Connecticut regiment commanded by Col. Henry Sherburn, from April 20, 1777 to April 20, 1780. He was captured by the enemy and suffered a period of imprisonment in the notorious "Sugar House" at New York. He settled the Hiram Sweet place and built one of the very first framed houses in Monroe. "Mr. Fowler being sick, his wife, Sarah, went out of the house one night to procure some herbs for his use, having a pine torch in her hand. Hearing a noise behind her, she turned and saw a bear standing up on his hind legs as tall as herself. She ran into the house and the bear made his supper on fresh pork, killing it himself. The bruin, however, was killed in turn the next day." Mr. Fowler followed farming though much broken in health in consequence of his army hardships for which he was given a pension. He died December 7, 1834, and his wife, July 11, 1832, aged 69 years and 9 months. Their children were:
Jonathan, a cripple, never married.
Ira C. was of slender constitution, never married.
Nancy married Abraham Fox, lived in Monroe.
Electa married Josiah Cranmer of Monroe.
Sally married Solomon Cole of Asylum.
Daniel Fowler when a boy enlisted in the Revolutionary war, was taken prisoner and kept some months in the "Sugar House" from he came out scarcely alive. He rose to the rank of Major at the age of twenty. He settled at Hudson, N.Y. where he inaugurated the first school of note, the "City Academy of Hudson." One of his pupils was Martin Van Buren, afterwards President of the United States.
Elijah Fowler studied medicine and settled in Tyringham, Mass.
Rogers Fowler, born July 8, 1766, came first to Milltown in 1798 and in 1800 moved to Monroe. He located on the place now owned and occupied by Elias T. Park. He was a carpenter and millwright, building soon after his arrival, the grist-mill and saw-mill at Fowlertown. He was a noted Freemason, Colonel of militia and in other respects a man of prominence. His death occurred May 12, 1812. He left no family.
Mary Fowler, born March 31, 1777, who taught the first school in Monroe, married Deacon John Fox of Towanda and was the mother
of Olive (Mrs. Thomas Elliott), Miller, Mary (Mrs. William W. Goodrich), John Marvin, Priscilla Brunette (Mrs. Julius Foster) and Hiram Chapman, died January 17, 1858.
Hannah Fowler, born April 7, 1780, married Daniel Miller and moved with her husband into the wilds of Albany, reared a large family and died March 20, 1850.
Russell Fowler, born September 15, 1782, married Sophia Lawrence. He opened and conducted a hostelry many years on the Park place; engaged extensively in lumbering and operated a distillery; took great interest in public improvements, church and school matters. He died August 22, 1851. Children were:
Sevellon L. married Mary DuBois and died in Missouri.
Rogers married Almeda, daughter of Harry Morgan of Wysox, went West, engaged in lumbering and at the breaking out of the Civil War was appointed Commissary General of the State of Illinois by Governor Yates; was afterwards commissioned Colonel and sent West; after the war he engaged in railroading in Texas.
Samantha married James C. Ridgway and moved to Minnesota.
Ellen M. married Judge Edward Elwell and settled in Wisconsin.
Hiram married 1st Catharine Fields, 2nd Maria Young, died at Green Bay, Wis.
Russell settled in Illinois.
Adeline married Lewis G. Kellogg and moved to Missouri.
Roxy Fowler, born July 16, 1786, married Eliphalet Mason and was the mother of Zilpha (Mrs. Isaac Rogers), Roxy (Mrs. Charles Birch), Gordon F., Rufus, Dr. E. Hastings, William A., Lemuel A. and Sarah (Mrs. Jacob Veiley), died February 15, 1851.
Austin Fowler, born May 31, 1787, married Betsy Lawrence and was associated with his brother, Russell, in the milling and lumbering business; had also worked at carpentering with his brother, Rogers. "He was a faithful and intelligent citizen, a kind neighbor and exemplary Christian." His wife, born May 31, 1789, died May 19, 1846. Their children were Franklin D., Eliza E., Adelia E., Gordon M., William W., Cyrus E. and Amanda M. Mr. Fowler married 2nd Mrs. Eliza Wenck and had one son, Clarence Austin; died May 3, 1875.
Franklin D., born December 20, 1814, married Maria Day, died February 8, 1899.
Eliza E., born November 25, 1816, died at an advanced age unmarried.
Adelia E., born February 1, 1819, married Sanford Plummer, died August 12, 1877.
Gordon M., born August 14, 1821, married Mary Varney and removed West.
William W., born June 13, 1824, married Eliza A. Miller, died January 1, 1895.
Cyrus E., born October 10, 1828, died unmarried May 17, 1850.
Amanda M., born April 6, 1831, married Samuel McKittrick and removed to Canada.
Clarence A., born July 22, 1847, occupies the homestead.
Betsy Fowler, born April 14, 1792, married Abner C. Rockwell, the first sheriff of Bradford county and was the mother of Maria (Mrs. Joseph Montanye), Zera, James Lawrence, William A. and Rolland R.
William Buck, a native of Killingly, Conn., when 14 years of age, went to live with President Wheelock of Dartmouth college (Hanover, N.H.) Upon attaining his majority, Mr. Wheelock gave him a deed to a tract of land (Connecticut title) in Pennsylvania on condition that he settle and improve the property. Accordingly in the spring of 1798, Mr. Buck came to Sheshequin and for three years made his home with Joseph Kinney. In 1801 he located at LeRaysville in Pike, repurchasing his land of LeRay at five dollars per acre. Here he lived and toiled until the close of his life, 1848, at the age of 71 years. He married, 1802, Charlotte Seymour, formerly of Norwalk, Conn. Their children were Matilda (Mrs. George Seymour), Lyman, Lydia (Mrs. Simeon Brink), Mehitable (Mrs. Eliakim W. Todd), William, Martha Fidelia, Frances Paulina, Samuel and Perley H.
Lyman married Mary Waterman and was the father of the late S. Wilson Buck.
Samuel married Martha Makinson, died January 16, 1899, aged 78 at LeRaysville; left no children.
Perley H. married Elizabeth, daughter of Amos Northrup; was active and influential in public affairs, serving two terms as County Commissioner and two terms as State Representative; died October 22, 1907, aged 84 years; children, Charlotte E. (Mrs. Martin S. Prentice), George W., Mary Frances (Mrs. William J. Davies), Samuel W., Walter P. and Carrie L. (Mrs. Leslie A. Codding).
Eleazer Allis, son of Eleazer, was a descendant in the fifth generation from William Allis who came from England and settled at Braintree, Mass. about 1640. He was born, 1765 at Hatfield and married, December 16, 1784, Mary, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Boltwood) Ingraham of Amherst, Mass. They had children, Lucinda, Lucretia, Eleazer, Silas, Ithiel and Mary. After the death of his wife, Mr. Allis removed to Vermont, settling on the Lamoill river, married
Mariam Pudmont and had two children. In 1799 he emigrated to Canton, Bradford county, evidently coming with or through the inducements of Daniel Ingraham (probably a brother-in-law). He remained a year or two at Canton, then came to Sugar Creek where in 1801 he married his 3rd wife, Esther, daughter of Ezra Rutty. In 1804 he located on Johnson creek in Orwell township, the place of his settlement still being known as Allis Hollow. He was required to cut his own road up the creek from Peter Johnson's and his log cabin and improvement were the first in South Orwell. Henceforth until the close of his life, Mr. Allis devoted his time diligently in clearing land, hunting and trapping and was rewarded with abundance. He died November 28, 1837 and his wife, September 23, 1831. Their children were Orrilla, Laura, Electa, Orinda, Mary Ellen, Ezra R., Eliza, Clarissa, William W. and Esther. Altogether, Mr. Allis was the father of 21 children.
Lucinda, born February 7, 1787, married Joshua Horton of Sheshequin, was mother of nine children, died April 20, 1846.
Lucretia married William Warfield of Orwell.
Eleazer, born September 2, 1789, married, May 25, 1820, Diana Eastabrook, died May 21, 1877; children, Edwin I., Hiram, Mariam (Mrs. Harry Stevens), Ordensa (Mrs. Thomas R. Pickering), Arletta.
Silas, born March 14, 1794, married, April 27, 1825, Margaret, daughter of Henry Lent, died November 1, 1870; children, Henry S., Henderson K., Harrison C., Henrietta A. (Mrs. Harry Parks), Hala C. and Hester R. (Mrs. Corydon E. Thayer).
Ithiel married Harriet, daughter of Joel Barnes, died 1865, aged 70 years; children, Harriet Eliza, Ithiel Judson, Oscar F., Joel M.
Mary died at the age of 17, unmarried.
Orrilla, born August 7, 1802, married Rufus Foster of North Towanda, was the mother of 12 children, died March 2, 1868.
Laura, born April 29, 1804, married, January 12, 1826, Abel Darling of Orwell, was the mother of nine children, died March 6, 1882.
Electa, born August 6, 1806, married, March 5, 1826, Harry L. Parks, was the mother of 10 children, died October 21, 1887.
Orinda, born July 11, 1809, married James Cleveland, was the mother of three children, died February 15, 1846.
Ezra R., born October 16, 1810, married Margaret, daughter of Jacob Wickizer, died February 14, 1885; children, William W., Jacob H., Mariam (Mrs. Joseph Allen), George R., Helen (Mrs. George Forbes).
Mary Ellen, born June 25, 1811, married Silas Mills of North Towanda, was the mother of four children, died September 17, 1890.
Eliza married Lewis Thayer and had three children.
Clarissa, born December 1, 1818, married, February 23, 1848, Henry D. Rockwell, mother of four children, died April 26, 1891.
William Wilson, born June 20, 1821, married, April 13, 1848, Martha Young, had one son, died August 28, 1892.
Esther, born October 1, 1825, married February 24, 1848, Nathaniel N. Parks, mother of six children, died April 17, 1888.
Other Names 1799, found on the assessment rolls and not included in preceding sketches:
Thos. M. Perry
Ebenezer Lee, Jr.
Aaron Gillett, 1797, living near the mouth of Towanda creek.
Silas Leonard, 1797, living in the Wythe neighborhood, Towanda.
Henry Lawrence, 1797, located on Sugar Creek, Burlington.
John Phillips, 1797, living in lower settlement, Towanda creek.
Rev. Daniel Thatcher, pastor of the Wysox Presbyterian church, died suddenly, 1797 at the home of Henry Strope.
David White, 1798, located on Sugar Creek in Burlington.
Robert Lattimore during the 1790's lived at Wyalusing. He sold and removed to Wayne county, N.Y.
John Ogden, given in the list of 1796, was a blacksmith at Wyalusing. He married for his second wife a daughter of Catharine Bartges.
Summary -- Bradford county was long in being settled. It was 150 years from the time of the visit of the first white man (Brule) until the first settlement (the Moravians) was made. It was half a century from the time that Rudolph Fox erected his cabin on Towanda
Creek until the mountain township of Armenia had its first permanent inhabitant. Thirty years after the arrival of Rudolph Fox, nine townships, Albany, Armenia, Barclay, Herrick, Overton, Ridgebury, South Creek, Springfield and Windham, had yet to receive their first settler, while in eleven other townships, Canton, Columbia, Granville, Litchfield, Orwell, Rome, Smithfield, Troy, Tuscarora, Warren and Wells, there was only a recent and meager beginning. The district settled, not more than a fourth of the county, was along the Susquehanna and the lower valleys of the Wyalusing, Wysox, Towanda and Sugar creeks. The population, about 3,500, was principally German, Dutch, New England, Scotch-Irish and French. With these people began the amalgamation of blood of which the majority of our inhabitants is possessed. The first settlers were pre-eminently sturdy and patriotic, and the impress of their character has prevailed for more than a hundred years.