Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1770-1800
Vol. I - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 322-342
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.
Antique Postcard form Pat NEWELL Smith Collection
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
Heverly's Pioneers and Patriot Families of Bradford County, Vol. 1, Pages 349-364

County's Patriots Who Fought For Independence

AFTER peace had been declared, most of the patriot families returned to the wilds of Bradford county, bringing others with them. Men of Sullivan's army, who had been charmed with the bright prospects in this valley also came and selected homes. The Susquehanna Company made renewed efforts and offered extraordinary inducements to settlers, which brought scores of New England families to this territory. From 1783 to 1812 the county became essentially settled by a liberty-loving people. In short, Bradford county was favorite soil, and the asylum of men who had fought for Independence. Indeed, they were almost an army of patriots, who had been in every branch of the service, fought on both land and sea and in nearly every engagement from Lexington to the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. The spirit of liberty implanted by these men will never die. In 1861, when their grandsons were called upon to preserve what their blood and hardships had wrought, the response was quick and generous, 5,000 souls marching forth from Bradford county and demonstrating in a bloody struggle of four years that they were "worthy sons" of "Fathers of the Republic."

(Transcriber's note: Heverly went on to list all the "soldiers who went from, or made Bradford County their home after the Revolutionary War" and where they were buried. Heverly updated this list in Volume 2 and it is presented in that superior form. Heverly also provided some comments on a few of these patriots. These comments are presented in their entirety as follows.)


Ephraim Ladd responded to the first Lexington alarm, while Robert Potter enlisted in one of the first Connecticut companies and served a year. In 1801, Mr. Ladd and his family made the first settlement in Albany.


Sartile Holden, a hero of Bunker Hill and Stillwater, died in 1850 at Macedonia, aged 100 years.

Samuel Gilbert (page 234) served as a private from April 15, 1776 to January 14, 1777 in the company of Capt. William Satterlee in Colonel Elmore's battalion, Connecticut troops, also as a private from July 1, 1780 to December 9, 1780 in the 5th Connecticut regiment, commanded by Col. Philip B. Bradley.

Isaac Wheeler served as a drummer five years, also enlisted as a drummer in the War of 1812.

Samuel Seeley served six years, died in 1841, aged 91 years.


Zephon Flower entered the American army in 1779 under the age of 14 years and served until the close of the war. He was personally rewarded by General Washington for his fidelity.

Alexander Howden served five years and was in the engagements at Long Island, White Plains, Red Bank, Trenton, Princeton, Monmouth and Newport.

Of three brothers who fought for Independence, Elisha Matthewsonwas the only one who escaped with his life. He served 6 1/2 years in the company of Capt. Simon Spalding.

Elisha Satterlee served seven years. He was with Washington at Valley Forge in the memorable winter of 1777-'78 and in Sullivan's expedition against the Indians in 1779.

Ira Stephens, who served six years, was with his command at Valley Forge, through the Sullivan expedition in the battle of Germantown and other important engagements.

Julius Tozer served in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812; in the latter with two of his sons, Guy and Samuel.


James Campbell and three of his sons, David, James and John, fought for Independence.

Paul DeWitt served four years and was in numerous skirmishes with the Indians on the West Branch.

Alexander Lane was in General Montgomery's expedition in Canada and witnessed the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga.

Jacob Scouten served in both the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. He died at Mountain Lake in 1842, aged 87 years.


Samuel Griffin served in the war for Independence, and his son, Samuel, in the War of 1812.

Jacob Grantier was a native of Germany, who served with Morgan's famous riflemen.

Ezra Spalding, the first permanent settler of Canton, and Simon Spalding, the first permanent settler of Sheshequin, were distant cousins. Both were zealous patriots in the war for Independence.

Noah Wilson served his country six years on land and sea. He participated in the battle of Bennington and numerous skirmishes in the vicinity of Saratoga and Stillwater. He witnessed the execution of Major Andre.


John Budd participated in the battle of White Plains and the taking of Fort Montgomery.

Oliver Canfield served seven years and experienced many hardships.

Asa Howe was a zealous patriot and served four enlistments.


David S. Allen was one of three brothers who served in the American army. All were present at the Wyoming battle but escaped.

William French served seven years, was with Washington's army at Valley Forge and in many engagements. Three of his sons, Erastus, James and William B., were soldiers in the War of 1812.


Oliver Bailey served through the old French war, was one of the first to enlist and served throughout the Revolutionary struggle, being in a number of the most important battles.

John Putnam enlisted in 1780 at the age of 13 years and served until the close of the war.


Isaac Chaapel fought at the battle of Bunker Hill and served until the close of the war.


Thomas Park, the first settler of Litchfield, was a zealous patriot of the Revolution and a heavy loser in the Yankee and Pennamite troubles.

Silas Wolcott had the distinction of being one of Washington's bodyguard during the memorable winter when the American army lay encamped at Valley Forge.

Monroe & Towanda

Henry Cornelius was one of the unfortunates. He was captured at Fort Stanwix and held a prisoner in Canada until the close of the war.

James Dickey entered the American army in 1775 and served three enlistments. He died at Towanda, 1844 in his 89th year.

Dr. Caleb Miles, the first resident physician of Towanda, served three years. While fighting desperately at Monmouth, he was overcome by the heat and carried from the field.

John Schrader was one of the Hessian soldiers captured at Trenton. He espoused the American cause, joined Pulaski's cavalry and distinguished himself at the battle of Brandywine.


Josiah Grant served with the "Green Mountain Boys." He held a captain's commission in the Continental army in the brigade of his cousin, General Ethan Allen.

John Kneeland served his country both on land and sea. He was captured while a seaman, taken to England and held two years.

Hezekiah Russell fought at the battle of Bunker Hill and served throughout the struggle for Independence.


Stephen Gregory served in the command of David Wooster and saw that general shot from his horse in the engagement near Danbury, Connecticut.

Consider Wood served three years and participated in the series of engagements, resulting in the capture of Burgoyne.


Joseph Batterson served six years and was in the battles of Germantown, Monmouth and at the capture of Cornwallis. He was one of the first settlers of Ridgebury but left the town in his old age.

Job Stiles served in the American army six years.


Reuben Bumpus, noted as a hunter, served five enlistments in the American army and participated in the battles of Bennington and Stillwater.

Thaddeus Hemenway served five years and was in the battles of Stillwater, Newport and Lake George.

William Elliott, who fought at the battle of Saratoga, died in Rome in 1847, aged nearly 95 years.

Nathaniel P. Moody, the first settler of Rome, served five years. He participated in the battles of White Plains, Trenton, Germantown, Monmouth, Stony Point and Yorktown. He spent his last years at Osceola, Pa., where he died in 1832 and is buried. A cenotaph has been erected to his memory in the Rome cemetery.

Elijah Towner served in the American army under Arnold. His son, Gersham Towner, was a soldier in the War of 1812.

Godfrey Vought was one of four brothers who fought in many battles for Independence. He died at Rome in 1849, aged 88 years.


Samuel Bartlett was one of the "Green Mountain Boys" and served under Gen. Ethan Allen.

Sergeant Timothy Culver served seven years and suffered prison hardships. He died in 1829, aged 88 years.

Jabez Fish was a member of Captain Bidlack's company and one of its eight survivors at the battle of Wyoming.

Capt. Stephen Fuller, himself an ardent patriot, was the father-in-law of Capt. James Bidlack (killed at Wyoming) and Col. John Franklin.

Obadiah and Samuel Gore had a long and exciting career in the struggle for Independence. They were sons of Obadiah Gore, a self-sacrificing patriot, who sent six sons and two sons-in-law to fight for liberty. Of these, three sons and both sons-in-law fell at the battle of Wyoming.

Capt. Simon Spalding served 6 1/2 years. He was at Valley Forge, participated in the battles of Germantown and Brandywine and had command of Mud Fort on the Delaware during the long continued and severe cannonading of that point by the British. He performed an important part in the Hartley and Sullivan expeditions.

John C. Vancise, who served seven years, fought at Bunker Hill, Trenton, Princeton, Monmouth, crossed the Delaware with Washington and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He was wounded at Monmouth. He died in 1849, aged 93 years. His son, Abraham, furnished nine sons who fought for the Union in the Civil War.

Moses Woodburn served on both land and sea, was in a number of engagements and one of the guards that conducted Major Andre to be executed.


David Forrest, a pioneer of Smithfield, served three years. He was the father of twelve children. He died in 1835, aged 81 years. One of his grandsons, Dana Forrest, furnished seven sons who fought for the preservation of the Union.

Samuel Kellogg during his service had a personal acquaintance with Washington, whose inauguration he attended at New York in 1789.

Ebenezer Pease, while in the service, was captured by the Indians and made to run the gauntlet.

Jared Phelps was a Fife Major and served under the immediate command of General Washington from 1777 until the close of the war.

Samuel Wood, who served three enlistments, had the distinction of being personal guard over Major Andre after his capture in conducting him to the headquarters of Colonel Jameson. Mr. Wood was also the father of 21 children.

Arnold Franklin (page 129), in addition to his experiences in Indian captivity, served, 1780 in Capt. John Franklin's Independent Wyoming company.


Oliver Gates, who participated in the battle of White Plains, had the distinction of serving his country on both land and sea.

Joseph Grover entered the service in July, 1775, and served three enlistments.

Bela Kent served six years. He crossed the Delaware with Washington, was in the battle of Brandywine and spent the memorable winter of 1777-'78 at Valley Forge.

Simeon King served four years and was in the battles of Stillwater and Monmouth. He died in 1844 at Springfield in his 87th year.

Ezekiel Leonard, one of the first pioneers of Springfield was with Gen. Ethan Allen when he surprised the British at Fort Ticonderoga.

Noah Murray, who fought for Independence, was wounded in battle, subsequently became a noted Universalist minister.

William Salisbury was one of the party who assisted in destroying the tea on British vessels in Boston harbor in 1773. He early joined the patriot army and was in Montgomery's expedition against Canada. He participated in the assault on Quebec, where Montgomery was killed. For many years after the war, Mr. Salisbury was a Baptist preacher. He died in 1844, aged 86 years.

Bradford county had her "Molly Pitcher," and of an earlier period than the heroine of Monmouth. Our heroine is Mara Sergeant, a native of Boston. She witnessed the battle of Bunker Hill, helped care for the wounded and, when other bandages were exhausted, took off her own petticoat and tore it into strips to save the lives of unfortunate soldiers. During the same battle with buckets she carried water from a spring to allay the thirst of the wounded and fighting patriots, and in after years often stated that "bullets fell around her like hailstones." She died at Springfield in 1844, aged 82 years.

Standing Stone

Henry Birney, a native of Ireland, was one of the first settlers of Standing Stone. He served nearly throughout the Revolutionary war, returned to Standing Stone and sold out in 1812, going to Ohio, where he died at an advanced age.

Robert Fitzgerald and William Huyck were at the battle of Wyoming and the next year in the Sullivan expedition against the Indians--in a measure squaring accounts with the savages for their loss of property in 1777.

Jonathan Stevens, for half a century surveyor and associate judge, served 3 1/2 years in the American army. His father, Asa Stevens, an ardent patriot, was killed at the battle of Wyoming.

John Wood served different enlistments with the New Jersey troops and was in a number of engagements.


Oliver Dodge was an ardent patriot, and one of five of the name, who fought at the battle of Bunker Hill.

John Horton, the leading spirit in the Terrytown settlement, when but a boy, served as a teamster in the Revolutionary war.


John Preston served five years. He died at Troy in 1849 in his 89th year.

Elisha Rich, a pioneer of Troy, who fought for Independence, was one of the first Baptist preachers in this section of the country.

John Wilber was a soldier in the war for Independence and his son, Hon. Reuben Wilber, in the War of 1812. The former died at the age of 86 years and the latter in his 97th year.


Jacob Huff was a German who fought for Independence. He participated in the battles of Long Island, White Plains and Brandywine. He died at Spring Hill in 1832, aged 81 years.

Reuben Shumway was one of the trusted soldiers who stood guard over Major Andre. On another occasion, when it was deemed necessary that he should perform picket duty at a place where several soldiers preceding him had been shot, he said to the officer in charge, "You will hear my gun before morning." That night an Indian covered with a hog skin cautiously approached the sentry, a gun cracked and a dead Indian was found the next morning.


Abram Parmeter as a boy fought at the battles of Stillwater and Saratoga. He married in Ulster and removed to Ohio in 1813.

Solomon Tracy served in the American army three years. He settled at Ulster in 1787, remaining until 1809 when he moved to New York state and died at Canandaigua.

Benjamin Clark served seven years, taking an active part in the Sullivan campaign against the Indians in 1779. He died at Ulster in 1834, aged 87 years.

William Curry, one of the earliest settlers of Ulster, served in both the War for Independence and the War of 1812, in the latter with his son, William. He died at Milan in 1844, aged nearly 96 years.

Stephen Powell served in the American army six years and lost a leg at the battle of Cowpens.

Adrial Simons served three years, was captured and confined the prison ships on Long Island Sound, where he suffered untold hardships from confinement, hunger, cold and filth.

Joseph and Lockwood Smith, brothers, both of whom fought for Independence and were among the first settlers of Ulster, lie in unknown and unmarked graves in the Milan cemetery.


Reuben Rowlee served with the "Green Mountain Boys" under Col. Seth Warner.


Jeptha Brainard served seven years.

Isaac Bronson, who crossed the Delaware with Washington, was in the battle of Trenton and served nearly throughout the war, died at Windham in 1853 in his 96th year.

Samuel Dunham served five enlistments, was taken prisoner by the British at Fort Ann and held until the close of the war.

Stratton Sherwood served throughout the Revolutionary war. He died at Windham in 1848 in his 97th year.

John Russell entered the service as a drummer. He fought at the battles of Bunker Hill, White Plains and Long Island, being wounded in the last-named engagement.


James B. Decker, who was a Revolutionary pensioner and lived in Wyalusing until after 1840, died, 1851 at Taghkanick, N.Y. in his 101st year.

Henry Elliott (page 122) though an old man, served, 1780, in Capt. John Franklin's Independent Wyoming Company. He was the father of Jabez and Joseph, the former killed by the Indians at Queen Esther's flats during the Sullivan expedition, and the latter, known as the "Indian fighter," distinguished for his bravery and as one of the two that escaped from the fatal ring at Bloody Rock after being captured at Wyoming.

Thomas Lewis participated in the battle of Ticonderoga, was in the Canadian expedition under Montgomery and later at the engagement near Danbury, caught General Wooster as he was falling, shot from his horse.


Jesse Allen was in the expedition under Montgomery and stood within a few feet of that officer when he fell at Quebec. He subsequently served in the army of General Clinton and was in a number of engagements and skirmishes with the Indians. He witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis.

Amos Mix served throughout the Revolutionary war and was one of the patriots who crossed the Delaware with Washington on Christmas night, 1776. He died in 1847 in his 94th year.

Asahel ("Sale") Roberts (page 138) was a member of Capt. John Franklin's Independent Wyoming Company, 1780. He died in the Breakneck neighborhood but the place of his burial is not known.

Samuel Woodruff was early in the field and, as the exigency demanded, served ten enlistments before the close of the war.

Elisha Whitney was one of Capt. Ebenezer Mason's "minute men" and marched at the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775.