Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1800-1825
Vol. II - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 1-20
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
Pages 1-20 PP 21-43 PP 44-63 PP 63-82 PP 83-105 PP 106-130 PP 131-153 PP 153-170 PP 171-189


OUR presentation of THE PIONEERS OF BRADFORD COUNTY is completed with the issuance of this volume. The period covered, 1615 to 1840, includes sketches of 2000 families between 1770 and 1825 and 600 soldiers of the Revolution and War of 1812. The work in fact is a genealogical history of the county, giving as it does, the direct and collateral lines of the pioneer families. No important event is left unnoticed and will be found either in connection with the family sketches or the chronological outline. Subordinate subjects are classified under general heads and indexed accordingly. All subjects and the heads of families are given in the index. Let it be your guide.

The purposes of this work are set forth in Volume I and if they shall have been attained we are proud of the duty performed. To all who have furnished information, we wish to express our appreciation, and thank most sincerely the following for their valuable assistance in supplying details: J. Washington Ingham, Albert T. Lilley, Mrs. Addie W. Crawford, Miss Nellie M. Black, Mrs. Thomas Colony, Mrs. Lelia Bartlett, Mrs. Mildred Smith, Mrs. Cora M. Doane, Rev. Anson Titus, Diton Phelps, John H. Black, Rev. S. A. Califf, Mrs. L. L. Moody, Mrs. Wm. A. Peck, Miss Susan R. Peck, Mrs. Emily V. Rice, Miss Mollie Rice, Geo. W. Blackman, Melville E. Chubbuck, John C. Ingham, Geo. L. Pendleton, Miss Jeannette S. Landon, Mrs. Susan P. Wilber, Mrs. F. H. Hagerman, A. Lloyd Rockwell, Geo. W. Robinson, Mrs. Catherine E. B. Brumbaugh, Mrs. Sarah Blair, Mrs. Loville Rockwell, Addison Grace, John A. Biles, Mrs. Frances E. Cowles, Mrs. Thomas Mitchell, Adelbert C. Fanning, Noah P. Chaffee, Mrs. Harriet N. Brink, Mrs. Helen McFadden, Mrs. E. A. Vaughan, Mrs. Alice E. Vincent, Mrs. Nellie Dorn, R. G. Bolles, Miss Linnie Nichols, M. Elliott, Jr., John W. Mix, John W. Codding, Mrs. Mary L. Sturdevant, Mrs. John A. Parsons, Roy and S. R. Sleeper.

Most Sincerely, C. F. Heverly

Towanda, Pa.,

February 12, 1915

Pioneer & Patriot Families 1800 - 1812 Children & Marriages

The first series having given the Pioneer and Patriot Families of Bradford County from 1770 to 1800, the sketches and history of this volume begin where the former left off and are carried forward in chronological order. Thus, contemporaneous families and events are presented, at a glance, to the reader and to the advantage of the historical gleaner.

Foxes -- The first improvement in Windham township was made by the Foxes from Connecticut in the spring of 1800. Thomas came with his family from Glastonbury and was afterwards joined by his father, Jonah, and brother, Russell.

Thomas Fox enlisted in the Revolutionary war at Glastonbury, Conn., and served under Captain Buel and Colonel Wyllys, Connecticut troops. He was given a pension in his closing days for his faithful services. He settled and improved the Dee Wickham farm where he died in 1837, aged 73 years. His wife Chloe ____ died in 1854. Their children were: Harry, Silas, George married Laura Vibbert, Chloe married Fred Cargel of New York, Dolly married Chester Hill of Orwell, Annie married Daniel Hill, Roxey married a Mr. Buck of New York.

Daniel Doane, the second settler in Windham, was born, 1769, in Brookfield, Mass. He was a son of Nathan and Eunice (Snow) Doane, the latter a direct descendant from Stephen Hopkins of Mayflower celebrity and the former a lineal descendant of John Doane who came from England and settled at Plymouth, Massachusetts about 1624. In 1798 Mr. Doane sold his interest in the homestead at Brookfield and started West with his family. He spent a year near Ithaca then removed to Owego where he remained until the fall of 1800 when he came down the river and settled at Windham Center. Here he cleared away the forests, erected his log house, endured the privations of pioneer days, lived and labored until the close of his life. He married first Sally Cole (died March 15, 1821, aged 54) by whom he had children, Seth, Daniel, Joseph, Sally, Nathan, Reuben and Charles. His second wife

(Page 2)

was Rebecca Merrill. Mr. Doane died October 6, 1849, aged 80 years. Of his children:

Seth, born 1788, married Lydia Bardwell, died March 25, 1875 in Windham. Their children who married as follows were: Price, January 1, 1850 to Prudence Bradford;

Lorena to Stephen Carner; Seth, Jr. to Ellen Jane Grimley; Mary Ann to Charles Wait;

William, June 26, 1864, 1st to Matilda Treadwell, 2nd to Sarah Reel; C. Wallace to Loretta Walker.

Daniel, Jr., born September 5, 1791, married Sylvia Bostwick, removed to Tioga county, Pa., where he died February 24, 1868. Their children who married as follows were: William; Samuel to Lettie Ball; Isaac C.; Job to Almira Rogers; Francis; Sarah to Albert Dale; Eunice to Daniel Morley.

Joseph, born April 8, 1793, married 1st Polly Robinson of Windham and occupied a portion of the homestead. Their children and marriages were: Nathaniel to Mary A. Knapp; Phebe, December 28, 1831 to Samuel Crandall; Lucy C. 1st, November 8, 1840, to Wm. Tyrrell, 2nd to Wm. Ross; George to Hannah Gardner; Gimaliel to Rebecca Holmes; Frances L. to Benjamin Angell; David to Jane Ellis; Joseph to Eliza Case. Married 2nd, Miss Catherine McCarty and had Elizabeth who married Clark Sexton. Married 3rd, Phoebe Goul.

Sally, born October 1794, married Benjamin Burgess of Windham, died October 13, 1840. Children: Sarah (Mrs. Joseph Elsbree), Amanda (Mrs. Milton Johnson). Emily (married September 22, 1836, William Sibley), and sons.

Nathan, born March 8, 1799, married Achsah Webster, died November 25, 1873. They had one son, Nathan B., who married Adelia Hand.

Reuben, born 1802 in Windham, married Matilda Dunham. Their children were Amanda (Mrs. Newell Morse), John Murray, Maria (Mrs. Olmstead), Marion L., Daniel Mason.

Charles, born 1805 in Windham, married Ellen Shaw, died March 5, 1881.

Rockwells -- Ephraim Rockwell, fifth in descent from Deacon William Rockwell, who came to America with his family in 1630, was born September 15, 1730 at Windsor, Conn. He married 1st, July 1, 1773, Sarah Moore by whom he had two children: Sarah, born Sept. 19, 1774 and Allen, born June 10, 1776; married 2nd Hannah Coon and had children Hannah, Ephraim, Abner C., Eleazer, Zerah, Sally and Bernard. Sally, Allen and Abner C. settled in Bradford county and the other children in Crawford county, Pa. Ephraim Rockwell was a soldier

(Page 3)

under General Washington in the Revolutionary war. He and his wife joined their children in Crawford county where Mr. Rockwell died August 1, 1826.

Allen Rockwell, the eldest son of Ephraim, b. June 10, 1776, married, Jany. 15, 1799, Phebe Davis of Berkshire county, Mass. In 1814 they came to Bradford county, settling in Franklin township where Mr. Rockwell died, Jany. 25, 1851. Their children were Allen, Polly, Nancy, Levi, Oliver, Betsey, Hiram, John and William A.

Abner C. Rockwell, son of Ephraim and Hannah (Coon) Rockwell, was born May 4, 1783, at East Windsor, Conn. In the year 1800 he made a trip West, coming to Monroe, where he settled permanently. He occupied a log house at the east end of the Monroeton bridge and for some years gave attention to the improvement of his land. He took an active interest in public matters and upon the organization of Bradford county, 1812, was elected the first sheriff. He built a log addition to his house, which during his term of office was used as a prison for criminals and long known as the "old log jail." After the expiration of his term of office he resumed farming and gave attention to public improvements. He built the original bridge, spanning the South Branch at Monroeton. He erected a framed house and opened it as a hotel, and being the largest and best in the town was dedicated the "Beauty of Monroe." On one side of the sign was painted a picture of General Lafayette, the other being ornamented with Masonic emblems. He had a distillery and manufactured his own liquors. Mr. Rockwell was a man of genial presence and public spirited. He donated the ground at Monroeton for school and church purposes. He possessed superior ability and was noted for his sterling integrity and generosity. Mr. Rockwell married, December 20, 1808, Betsy, daughter of Gordon Fowler. He died July 29, 1836. Mrs. Rockwell, born April 14, 1792, died July 27, 1866. Both are buried at Cole's. Their children were:

Maria married Joseph D. Montanye of Towanda; died August 31, 1881 aged 72 years.

Zerah married Mary Ann Hart and engaged in farming in Monroe; died, 1860.

James Lawrence, born February 15, 1814, married Miss Cordelia Lyon and left no issue by her; married 2nd Isabella, daughter of John Wilson and had sons, Abner Lloyd and John L.; was for many years associated with Wm. H. H. Brown in the mercantile business, afterwards owning and operating Rockwell Bridge mills; died November 21, 1875.

William A. married Miss Mary Nichols and engaged in merchandising in Towanda; died, 1878.

Rolland R., the surviving member of the family, is living at Cincinnati, Ohio.

Sally Rockwell, sister of Abner C., married Jacob Bowman, Jr. of Towanda; died August 16, 1874, aged 83 years.

Timothy Alden was a direct descendant of John Alden and Priscilla Mullens of Mayflower celebrity. He was a son of Israel and Lucy

(Page 4)

(Markham) Alden and was born February 22, 1770 at Tyringham, Mass. In 1799 he made a prospecting trip to Bradford county and being well pleased with the country, sold his property in the East and bought 800 acres in Monroe of Reed Brockaway under Connecticut title, paying for it in hard cash. In the month of December, 1800, he brought his family to their new home with horses and sleighs. He had built a little log house which the family occupied. "The wolves and bears were thick all around, and Mr. Alden kept everything, which the wild beasts could carry off at night, in pens. One night a bear came and took a pig, which had six little ones, out of a pen six feet high. The wolves would howl all night, and the family, which had left a pleasant home, were horribly lonesome and homesick enough." Mr. Alden was a blacksmith by occupation and worked at his trade some time after settling in Monroe. In 1827 he built the stone house yet standing on the place where he lived. He was required to pay for his land the second time and to do so as he expressed it, "hauled logs through the mud during the day and sawed them at night."

Mr. Alden is described as a man six feet two inches in height, well proportioned, commanding and of noble bearing. He was firm, benevolent and possessed of good judgment. Though not given to frivolous things, he was fond of humor. For some time he was captain of militia and hence was generally addressed as "Captain Alden." He was one of the first and most liberal supporters of the Baptist church in Monroe and remained a faithful and consistent member until the time of his death. He had married Lois, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox, one of the pioneers of Albany. Mr. Alden died September 29, 1859 and his wife, born February 5, 1773, January 10, 1851. Their children were:

Adonijah, born about 1791, married Vesta, daughter of Rev. M. M. York of Wysox. They had children, Adaline, Adrian Minor, Timothy Wells, Elizabeth, Mahala, Charles Edward, Cora Caroline, Percival York, Sylvester Jerome and Marinda Arloa. Mr. Alden removed to Illinois where he died August 6, 1839, and his wife May 17, 1839.

Sophronia, born May 9, 1793, married Jared Woodruff of Monroe, died April 8, 1876.

Philinda, born February 10, 1795, married 1818, Charles Warner Ladd of Albany.

Louisa, born January 5, 1797, married Benjamin Coolbaugh of Monroe, died July 14, 1846.

Parmelia, born December 18, 1801, married 1st Jacob Arnout, 2nd Charles Homet, died June 4, 1876.

(Page 5)

Sylvester William (twin of Sevellon W.), born March 19, 1810, married Frances, daughter of Thomas Wilcox of Milltown, occupied the homestead until 1855 when he removed to Wisconsin. They had two sons, Dr. Alanson T. and Charles J., both of whom served in the Wisconsin Volunteers during the Civil War. Mrs. Alden died in Monroe, August 29, 1847, aged 32 years. Mr. Alden afterwards married Harriet Bishop. He died July 13, 1881 at Green Bay, Wis.

Sevellon Wells, twin of Sylvester W., November 16, 1831, married Mathena, daughter of Dr. Benoni Manderville. When a young man he entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church and became one of the most widely known preachers on the circuit and at one time was presiding elder. He was a man of more than ordinary ability, a great reader and had a most retentive memory. He was a frequent contributor to both the local and foreign press; his communications were full of interest and were a valuable contribution to our local history for they supplied many forgotten facts and incidents of the early times in Central Bradford. In the field of local research he was an industrious gleaner and it is due to his exertions that much in early history has been preserved. His demise occurred March 22, 1883. Mrs. Alden survived her husband some years. They had two sons, Philo E. and DeWitt Clinton, now all deceased.

Chaapel -- George Chaapel at the age of 20 years with his wife, Margaret, came from London, England in the ship Christian, 1635, and settled at New London, Conn. They were the parents of three children, Mary, Rachel and John. Some of the Chaapels removed about 1760 to Berkshire county, Mass.

Isaac Chaapel was born February 28, 1761 at Standisfield in Berkshire county. He entered the American army at the age of 15 and served seven years. From the battle of Bunker Hill, where he was in the ranks, till the close of the war, it was his good fortune never to have been wounded, although he endured many privations from exposure and hunger. He married Tamasin Wilcox, with whom and their four children, he removed in March, 1800 to Towanda, where he built a log house on the bank of the run near the site of the present Episcopal church. Here he remained two years then located in LeRoy on what is known as the Chauncey Chaapel farm, where he died May 1, 1817. In 1804 Mr. Chaapel was commissioned a justice of the peace for Burlington and was a member of the first grand jury (1813) in the county. He also filled various other local offices. His wife, born April 2, 1764, died May 22, 1833. Both together with many of their descendants are buried in the cemetery at LeRoy. Their children were:

(Page 6)

Buckley, born February 10, 1784, married Betsey Bowman of Towanda, died September 1, 1837.

Laura married a Mr. Rockerfeller.

Parma married Emer Harris, a Mormon.

Tacy married Alvah Kellogg.

Harriet married Horace Spalding of Canton.

Chauncey married Lura (Crofut) Wooster and had children who married as follows:

Hannah C. to Addison Brigham; John R. to Ann Holcomb; Frank B. to Mahala Wheeland; Harriet to Anson B. Carney; Charles P. to Susie Claflin.

Ledyard married Celestia Holcomb and was the father of Laura, Jay, Hoyt, Helen and Burr.

John went to sea and was never afterwards heard of.

Isaac died unmarried in Wisconsin.

Fanny married Robert Claflin.

Mary married Harvey Kellogg.

Delight married Benjamin Holcomb.

Reed Brockaway, a gentleman of some literary attainment, who was interested in Connecticut lands, located within the present limits of Monroeton village in 1800. The Luzerne Federalist of July, 1801, says: "The Fourth of July was celebrated at Wysox (Towanda) by a numerous and respectable company. Wm. Means provided an entertainment, the style and elegance of which reflected great credit on his taste and industry. An oration was delivered by Reed Brockaway. After dinner a number of appropriate toasts were drank." In 1805 Mr. Brockaway was commissioned a justice of the peace for the Wysox district. He sold to Eliphalet Mason and left the county about 1807.

Samuel Bartlett, a native of Vermont, who was reared near the Green Mountains and served as a captain of one of the companies in Gen. Ethan Allen's brigade during the Revolutionary war, came to Sheshequin about 1800, locating on the Judson Macafee farm. He purchased a large tract of land, which he occupied until the time of his death, July 1, 1810, at the age of 64 years. In Vermont he had married a Miss Meigs who died before his removal to Sheshequin. Their children were:

Timothy came to Sheshequin with his father. He married Huldah, daughter of Zephon Flower (I-189) and occupied a portion of the homestead farm, where he died February 1, 1821, aged 31 years. He had one son and a daughter. The son, at about the age of 14 years, was crossing the river on the ice with a horse and cutter, when the ice

(Page 7)

gave way and both he and the horse were drowned. The daughter, Mary, married Lathrop Smith of Horseheads, N.Y.

Hannah married Cornelius Younglove and settled at Hammondsport, N.Y.

Satira married a Mr. Clapp and settled in Washington county, N.Y.

Mary married Samuel Hoyt, came to Sheshequin with her husband and died there August 9, 1849 in her 71st year.

Samuel lived on the farm with his father. He married Phoebe, daughter of Captain Jeremiah Shaw. He took an active part in the early political struggles of the county and was chosen county auditor, 1819. About 1834 he sold his interests to Colonel Kingsbury and removed to Michigan.

Gerould (originally Jerauld) -- Dr. James Jerauld (Gerould) a Huguenot, emigrated from France about 1680, married Martha Dutee of Boston and settled in Medfield, Mass., where he practiced medicine many years, retaining largely the habits and customs of a French gentleman. His children were James, Martha, Gamaliel, Stephen, Dutee, Mary, Joanna and Susannah. Gamaliel was thrice married, his first wife being Rebecca Lawrence by whom his children were Gamaliel, Kate, Rebecca and Jabez.

Jabez Gerould, son of Gamaliel and Rebecca (Lawrence) Gerould, b. Nov. 1, 1748 in Wrentham, Mass.; was a private soldier from Princeton, Mass., Capt. Joseph Sargent's company, Col. Sparkhawk's regiment, marched April 20, 1775, to Cambridge, service 7 days; also a member of Capt. John Jone's company, Col. Ephraim Doolittle's regiment, July 1, 1775; drummer in same company and regiment; was in Camp Winter Hill, Oct. 6, 1775 (Mass. Rev. Solds.). In the year 1800, he removed with his family from Connecticut; reaching the Susquehanna near its head-waters he floated down the river on a slab-raft to Queen Esther's flats where he resided a short time. Going to Smithfield he selected lands, erected a log house and the next year, (1801) moved his family in. His trials in the wilderness were short. He was taken suddenly ill and died June 12, 1802 at East Smithfield before medical aid could reach him, at the age of 53 years. He left eight children, the eldest of whom was 16 years of age. The mother for a time supported the family largely through her own efforts by spinning flax and receiving pay therefore in meal. The family occupied the log house until 1812 when they moved into their commodious framed dwelling. Mr. Gerould had married Demaris Bennett of Newtown, Conn. She lived to a good old age, her demise occurring March 20, 1829. Their children were Jerusha, James, Susannah, Ephraim Bennett, George, Ziba, Jabez Lawrence, Abel Judson and Theodore.

James, born May 5, 1784, married Lois Wood, died October 30, 1859; children: James Allen, Emeline, Emma Ann, Marcus B., Florilla C., Anna, Christianna, Samuel Wood, James Orville, Malvina and Lois Eveline.

Susannah, born January 1, 1786, married, February 12, 1804,

(Page 8)

Dutee Rice and had children: Jerusha A., Maria S., Hiram, Mehitable B., Jabez Gerould, John J., James P., Caleb B., Betsey A. and Orrin B.

Ephraim B., born June, 1788, married 1st Betsy Foster and had one child, Theodore; married 2nd Christiana Putnam and had children, Maria and Otis; died April 22, 1845.

George, born November 25, 1789, married, December 13, 1813, Bathsheba Beals, died May 6, 1853; children: Owen, James L., Harriet, Sarah, John and Ephraim B.

Ziba, born January 11, 1792, married, November 16, 1817, Eliza Bird, died February 7, 1871; children: Sophia, Louisa, Betsey, Louis B., Phebe, Henry, Clayton and Jane Eliza.

Jabez L., born December 13, 1795, married, May 25, 1820, Margaret Beebe of Geneva, N.Y., died June 6, 1852; children: Amelia B., Jabez, Abijah, A. Beebe, Henry, Clarissa P., Ruth A., John Edward and Cordelia.

Abel J., born April 8, 1799, married, January 30, 1822, Nancy Foster; children: Betsy, Charles M., Abial F., Mary, Clinton, Clotilda and Mayland.

Theodore, born May 11, 1801, married, October 2, 1827, Amanda F. Ferguson, died February 18, 1874; children: Maria, Theresa, James and Sarah.

Phineas Pierce was a descendant in the fifth generation from Thomas Pierce who came from England, 1633-'34 and settled at Charlestown, Mass. In the year 1800 Mr. Pierce removed with his family from Poultney, Vermont to Smithfield township, where he died, 1808. The first sawmill in the town was built by him in or before 1806. He was twice married, 1st to Ruth Gaines by whom he had 11 children, 2nd to Ruth Beebe and had three children. After his death, his 2nd wife, Ruth, married Samuel Kellogg (p. 26).

Abiram, the eighth child of Phineas and Ruth (Gaines) Pierce, was born May 20, 1786. He cleared and improved a farm in Smithfield where he died October 17, 1860. He was a man of local prominence and was for several years a justice of the peace. He married, January 8, 1809, Sarah, daughter of James Satterlee and had children, Christopher E., William S., Stephen, Mary (Mrs. John Spalding), Jane L. (Mrs. John J. Johnson), Amos and Emma (Mrs. Horace Pomeroy). Stephen, born August 29, 1813 was one of the earlier members of the Bradford county Bar; practiced in Bradford and Tioga counties; was elected State Representative, 1840; died February 12, 1868 at Troy, Pa.

Phineas Pierce, Jr., married Anna, daughter of Samuel Kellogg (page 26). He enlisted in the War of 1812 and went to the Niagara frontier where he was killed in a skirmish with the enemy in September, 1814. He left behind two children, Fanny Maria and Ransom.

(Page 9)

Joel Barnes, son of Jeremiah Barnes and a native of Grandville, Mass., came to Orwell in 1800. He married Ruth, daughter of Capt. John Grant; died in Orwell, 1847, aged 68 years. His wife died at the age of 60. Their children were Horace W., Joel, Jr., William G., Cyprion, Harriet (Mrs. Ithiel Allis), Emily (Mrs. Hezekiah N. West) and Sally Eliza (Mrs. Enos R. Woodruff).

Levi Frisbie, who had rendered service to his country in the Revolutionary war, was born January 31, 1758 at Bristol, Conn. He married December 20, 1786, Phebe Gaylord, daughter of Aaron Gaylord who was slain at the battle of Wyoming. In February 1800, Mr. Frisbie with his wife and four children emigrated from Connecticut to Orwell, settling the place afterwards occupied by Hon. Zebulon Frisbie during his lifetime. He was a courageous and industrious pioneer, having performed well his part in the new country. Mr. Frisbie died October 5, 1842; his wife, born November 19, 1767, died October 5, 1852. Both are buried in the Orwell Hill cemetery. Their children were Chauncey, Laura, Catharine, Levi and Zebulon.

Chauncey, born November 16, 1787 at Burlington, Conn., married 1st, March 17, 1812, Chloe Howard; 2nd Eliza, widow of Dr. Dudley Humphrey; died May 4, 1864. He was noted for his integrity of purpose and his scrupulously honest dealings. He was active in politics as a Democrat, filled important local offices and served as county treasurer 1833-'34. By his former marriage he had children, Hanson Z. and Phebe Maria; by his second marriage he had one son, George Chauncey. Mrs. Eliza Frisbie died September 9, 1865, aged 80 years. George C., born March 1, 1831, married October 17, 1855, Huldah Jane, daughter of Peter and Deborah Kuykendall; died July 2, 1908.

Laura, born January 1, 1790, married Ira Bronson of Burlington, Connecticut.

Catherine, born April 1, 1792, married October, 1815, Abel Eastabrooks of Orwell; died August 27, 1822, leaving children, Charles, Laura (Mrs. James D. Humphrey), Aaron G. and Levi F.

Levi, born November 19, 1798, married March 3, 1825, Chloe Chubbuck, died November 23, 1889; his wife, born December 8, 1803, died August 20, 1869. Their children were Addison G., Catherine (Mrs. Stewart Line), Eaton N., Wilbur E., Laura P. (Mrs. Frank Bachman) and Joseph A. Aaron G., born March 4, 1826, married, December 5, 1850, Ordelia, daughter of Abel and Laura (Allis) Darling, died February 19, 1896.

Zebulon, born July 4, 1801, married, December 4, 1828, Polly, daughter of Warren Goodwin of Connecticut, died August 29, 1881 in

(Page 10)

Orwell; was a justice of the peace many years and an associate judge of the county, 1868-'73. Their children were Addison C., Warren R., William L., Chauncey M., Ruby M. (Mrs. Edward Boardman) and Olin G. Addison C., born October 20, 1829, married, October 17, 1855, Miss N. N. Newell; served as Register and Recorder, 1879-'82; died February 24, 1910.

Samuel Woodruff, born August 9, 1750 at Litchfield, Conn., had the distinction of serving ten enlistments during the Revolutionary war, from July, 1775 to October, 1781. His brother-in-law, Capt. Josiah Grant, having settled in Orwell, he came also, about 1800. Here he continued to reside a number of years, then sold his property and went to Wysox to live with his daughter, Mrs. Barstow, where he died February 6, 1838. His wife, Mary, died April 24, 1838, aged 85 years. Their children were:

Nathaniel who never came to Orwell.

Benjamin settled in the West.

Clarissa married Dr. Seth T. Barstow; died March 14, 1853 in Wysox, aged 67 years.

Almira married Adrian Manville; hers it is claimed was the first death in Orwell.

Adrian Manville evidently came from Connecticut with or about the same time as his father-in-law, Samuel Woodruff. He remained in Orwell a few years then removed to the Fencelor place at Myersburg, which he subsequently sold to his brother-in-law, Dr. Barstow. From Wysox he went to Nichols, N.Y. and later to Western Virginia where he died. He was the father of the late Capt. Chas. M. Manville of Towanda and Nathaniel Manville, who in the 1830's conducted a somewhat extensive manufacturing enterprise at the Pail factory on Sugar Creek.

Samuel Wells came from Burlington, Vermont to Orwell about 1800. He purchased and improved a large farm upon which he died, March 26, 1827, leaving a widow, Jemima, and eight children, Theron, Shubael, Correll, George W., Relzeman, Hiram, Pantha (Mrs. Stephen M. Warner) and Cynthia D. (Mrs. Wm. T. Brown). The homestead was divided in 1830, most of it afterwards being acquired by Theron. Relzeman died May, 1843 in Orwell, being survived by his wife, Temperance, and two children, Adaline Louisa and Robert Lee. Correll and wife, Edna, 1848, deed to Samuel C. Wells and others. George W. and wife Adeline, 1858, deed to John Mingle. He had settled in Clearfield county, Pa.

(Page 11)

David Watkins, born January 21, 1779, emigrated from Connecticut in the spring of 1800. When he arrived in Columbia, where he settled permanently, his worldly possessions consisted of his wife, an axe, scythe and $7.50 in cash. On his way Mr. Watkins had his arithmetic book stolen which became a great privation in after years. In those days such books were written on parchment and were highly prized. Like the other Columbia pioneers he was required to make trips to Tioga Point to mill, for trading and even to have his axe ground. His daughter, Laura, born in August, 1800, was the first child to see light in Columbia. Her birthplace was under the roots of a huge pine tree, partly turned up, which Mr. Watkins had formed into a sort of house. Her cradle was a sap trough. Mr. Watkins cleared and improved a fine farm near Austinville, where he died in 1863. He had married Polly Seeley of Connecticut. Their children were Laura (Mrs. Miles Philip Slade), Charry (Mrs. John Wolfe), David Seeley, William B., Rebecca (Mrs. Isaac Besley), Eliada, Mial, Hannah (Mrs. Isaiah Montanye) and Mary (Mrs. John Perry).

Oliver Canfield, a Columbia pioneer, emigrated from Redding, Fairfield county, Conn., settling at Austinville in 1800. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary war and is said to have served seven years, many times marching over frozen ground barefooted. He died upon the farm where he settled and is buried at Austinville. He married Sally Bradley and had two sons, Moses B. and Daniel.

Moses B. married Betsey Crippen, occupied the homestead, died in 1868, aged 74 years. Their children were Sally (Mrs. Carlonus Spencer), Hiram, Polly (Mrs. Eben J. Bosworth), Daniel C., Lucy (Mrs. Silas Holly), Ann (Mrs. Henry Van Nocken), Melinda (Mrs. Wright W. Clark), Oliver (died in his country's service, Civil War) and Louisa (Mrs. Leonard Bailey).

Samuel Lamphere, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, came from Connecticut to Columbia with Nathaniel Morgan in 1800. In 1817 he exchanged his place with John Calkins for a property in West Burlington, where he died March 18, 1834, aged 82 years. His wife, Mary, survived him and a daughter who had married Ephraim Cleveland.

Joseph Batterson came from Connecticut with Nathaniel Morgan and others in 1800. He early removed from Columbia to Ridgebury, being one of the first settlers in that township. Mr. Batterson had served his country six years in the struggle for independence and his record is thus given in his application for the benefits of a pension in his affidavit of September 11, 1820: "That he the said Joseph Batterson, resident of Ridgebury township, doth on his oath declare that

(Page 12)

he served in the Revolutionary war as follows: That he enlisted as a private soldier at Fairfield, Conn., April 7, 1777, under Captain Albert Chapman, Col. Heman Swift's regiment, continental establishment and served until June 7, 1783, when he was discharged; that he was in the battles of Germantown, Monmouth and the taking of Cornwallis; by occupation he is a farmer, subject to rheumatism; family a wife 57 years old, son, weak-minded, aged 21 and a daughter, weak-minded, aged 18." In his old age Mr. Batterson removed from the town, but to what locality and where and when he died we are not informed.

Andrew Gregg, born May 16, 1763 in Ireland, came to America with his father's family about the time of the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, settling at Sunbury, Pa. Though only a boy, stirred by patriotic impulses, he joined the Sullivan expedition of 1779 and accompanied it on its mission. After the war, he married Nancy Santee of Luzerne county and removed to Ulster, 1800. Here he remained a short time only, going to North Towanda where he lived until 1807, when he took up lands on the Towanda Hills and settled thereon. Here he struggled and labored with the grit of a true pioneer in clearing away the heavy timber and preparing the land for the plow. He died April 25, 1846, and his wife, May 17, 1838, aged 74 years. Their children were:

Esther who married, 1st, a Mr. Fanning, 2nd, Thomas Brown.

Margaret married Squire Watts; died November 1, 1886 in Canton township in her 90th year; was the mother of four sons and two daughters.

Polly married Joshua Bailey of North Towanda.

Nancy married William Campbell of Burlington.

Katie died in young womanhood.

Susan married Delanson, brother of Wm. Campbell.

William married Mary Ballard and lived in Towanda township.

Andrew C. married Anna Bailey of North Towanda and occupied the homestead, where he died, 1865, aged 65 years. He was succeeded by his son, Francis, whose son now occupies the property.

Ephraim Ladd, a native of Tolland, Connecticut, born May 22, 1749, responded to the first Lexington alarm, 1775, and served three months at the opening of the Revolution. In February, 1800, Mr. Ladd left Connecticut with his family, making the trip West on sleighs with a span of horses and an ox-team. Reaching Monroe, he tarried the first year with his brother-in-law, Gordon Fowler (wives being sisters). In the meantime, he had selected lands on the present site of New Albany, made some improvements and erected a log house with a cob-roof and

(Page 13)

puncheon floor. Early the next spring, he moved in with his family, being the first settler in Albany township. It required two days to make the trip from Monroe. Alone in the wilderness lived Mr. Ladd and his family, with the panther and bear. Wolves swarmed around their cabin and broke the midnight stillness by music that was anything but pleasant to their ears. It was, indeed, a wild and dreary country and the first few years were years of struggle and hardship to clear up the heavily timbered lands and fit them for cultivation. But Mr. Ladd was equal to the test, being full of hard days' work and possessing a spirit that would not be daunted by hardships or the loneliness of the wilds. He was not only an industrious but a very useful citizen. By occupation he was a shoemaker and after other families came in he supplied their wants in footwear. He was a Christian gentleman, strong in the Presbyterian faith. Before any of the pioneer preachers had found their way into Albany, he would convene the people at his house on Sundays and read sermons from "The Palladium," an early publication. He also organized a Sabbath school at his house for the benefit of both young and old, and taught the boys and girls their first lessons in the spelling book. Mr. Ladd was a man quiet in deportment and fine proportions, weighing over 200 pounds. He married, July 14, 1774, Miss Lois Chapman, who was born January 28, 1756. She bore her part nobly and well with the man of her choice in the new country. Mrs. Ladd is described "a large lady, humorous, with a fondness for company, devout in religious matters, possessed of superior womanly qualities and a very rapid knitter." In 1829 Mr. and Mrs. Ladd moved to Northumberland county with their son, Ephraim, where the former died May 4, 1836 and the latter, May 2, 1836. The children of Ephraim and Lois Ladd were Nancy, Roxanna, Horatio, Charles Warner, Almana, John C., Lydia, Milton, Willis, Electa, Lois and Ephraim.

Nancy married and never came to Pennsylvania.

Roxanna died in young womanhood before the removal of the family to Pennsylvania.

Horatio, born January 21, 1780, married, January 30, 1800, Miss Asenath Ives, and came to Bradford county in company with his father. He worked a farm in Towanda township until April, 1805 when he moved to Albany. He was an industrious, hard-working man, careful in the management of his affairs. He despised a lazy man and declared, "he would not help him who could help himself." He had an excellent voice and was known as "the singer" of early days. He led the singing in church and instructed his friends in this

(Page 14)

accomplishment. It is said, when a young man at parties, "he could sing all night without singing the same tune twice." Mr. Ladd was a tanner and currier by occupation but did not follow that trade after coming to Pennsylvania. For a number of years he kept a public house at New Albany and carried on farming. He was a good citizen, a member of the Presbyterian church and a man whose honesty and integrity were never questioned. His death occurred January 12, 1850. Mrs. Ladd, born October 18, 1775, died August 28, 1854. She was brave, ambitious and capable of remarkable endurance. In 1814 she made a trip on horseback, unaccompanied to Connecticut, a distance of 300 miles. The water was high and in many places she was required to wade the streams. Of wonderful physique, it is said she could shoulder three bushels of wheat and carry the load up a ladder. "She spun her three run (60 knots) of tow in a day and cared for five children. She was a great worker and never tired." The children of Horatio and Asenath Ladd were: Clarissa, born October 4, 1800, married 1st Elisha Harris, 2nd Joseph Marshall; Moses A., born July 23, 1802, married 1st Susanna Lawrence, 2nd Margaret J. Strong, died June 20, 1886; Eliza, born June 20, 1805, the first child to see the light in Albany, married William Lawrence, died April 28, 1847; Olivia, born May 25, 1810, married Jason Horton, died September 12, 1849; Lucinda, born November 12, 1814, married James Martin, died October 26, 1840; Asenath, born April 13, 1817, married Dr. David S. Codding of Pike; Arunah, born March 14, 1820, served three years as a member of Company G, 57th P.V., Civil War, died May 4, 1909.

Charles Warner, born September 5, 1781, settled adjoining his father in Albany. In 1819 he erected the stone house yet standing. He was Albany's first postmaster, being appointed in 1818. He is described as a "quiet man, never at variance with his neighbors and having the esteem of all." He married Philinda Alden of Monroe and was the father of the late Dr. Charles Kingsbury Ladd of Towanda. Their other children were Amelia Lois, Sophronia and Urion Alden. Mr. Ladd's death occurred September 15, 1832.

Almana, or "Almira," born February 22, 1784, married a Dr. Smith of Chautauqua county, N.Y.

John C., born November 16, 1785, died unmarried, May 16, 1804, his being the first death in Albany township.

Lydia, born October 31, 1787, married Truman Holcomb of LeRoy, died October 8, 1865.

Electa, born June 5, 1793, married Daniel Stone of Canton, died September 22, 1832.

Lois, born October 29, 1795, married Augustus Pierce of Wysox and died August 24, 1872 in California.

(Page 15)

Ephraim, Jr., born September 7, 1797, married Susan Irish, moved to Northumberland county, 1829, and afterwards to Kentucky, where he died November 3, 1867.

The Coburns were among the brave spirits who left comfortable homes in the East to face the dangers of life in the wilderness of northeastern Bradford. They were originally from Worcester county, Mass. "In the spring of 1800, Capt. Ebenezer Coburn and Jonathan Coburn, brothers, came with their sons from Woodstock, Connecticut and bought 23,040 acres of land, Connecticut title, and made a clearing on the farm where they afterwards lived and died in north Warren. Very soon they learned that their title was worthless, but they were men of courage and energy, who could grapple with and overcome obstacles. The following spring they moved their families from Connecticut to the new settlement." Moses Coburn and family also came.

Capt. Ebenezer Coburn married Nov. 10, 1768, Dorcas, daughter of Amos Shumway, a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. The town records of Oxford, Mass., show births of their children as follows:

Ruth, June 17, 1769

Lucy, April 22, 1771

Parley, April 13, 1774

Alexander, May 13, 1776

Ebenezer, baptized Oct. 18, 1778

Amos, baptized Nov. 12, 1780

Other children were Nehemiah, Zilpah and Annis (Mrs. Benj. T. Case). Ebenezer Coburn's service as a soldier of the Revolution is given in the Mass. Records as follows: "Enlisted from Oxford as sergeant in Capt. Jeremiah Kingsbury's company, Col. Jonathan Holman's regiment; engaged Sept. 27, 1777; served 30 days; marched to the northward to reinforce army under General Gates; also 1st lieutenant in Capt. Ebenezer Humphrey's company, Col. Jonathan Holman's 5th Worcester county regt.; also 1st lieutenant in Col. Nathan Tyler's regiment, commissioned Aug. 4, 1779; ordered to be detached to serve at Long Island; discharged Dec. 29, 1779." He died during the fever epidemic on March 2, 1814, in Warren township, aged 68 years; was buried in the Presbyterian cemetery at Coburn Heights.

Parley returned to Connecticut and in the autumn, 1800, married Betsey ______, taught school during the winter and the next spring settled in Warren. He was a man of decided force of character and many years a justice of the peace. He was one of the original members and a deacon of the Warren Congregational church. His death occurred in 1860 at the age of 85 years. His children were Algernon Sidney, Enoch P. and Charles R. Algernon Sidney, born August 10, 1801, was the 3rd child born in Warren, married Lois Mericle, died, 1844. He was the father of Caroline H. and James Parley, the latter, a successful teacher, member of the 141st P. V., long a merchant and member of the state legislature. Charles R., noted educator, county superintendent and state superintendent, died March 8, 1869, aged 60 years, leaving wife, Eliza and children, Sarah C. Hillier, Francis G. and Charles Sidney.

Amos built the first framed house in Warren, at which he had a house-warming, and "all the good people in Martell (original name of the settlement), some on foot and some on ox-sleds, and how they tripped the light fantastic toe! And, possibly, what was infrequent, some of them went in store-troughs, drawn by their oxen, in lieu of sleds." Mr. Coburn and his wife both died during an epidemic of fever, winter of 1824-'25. They had a daughter, Charlotte, who married Charles Barstow; their daughter became the wife of U.S. Senator Thos. C. Platt.

(Page 16)

CHARLES RITTENHOUSE COBURN, son of Parley Coburn, was born, 1809, in Warren. In his father's log cabin was opened the first school in the township. Here and in the other schools in the neighborhood our subject received his education. In 1827 he began teaching at Owego at $8 per month. Disposed to make teaching a business for life, he commenced about this time, without assistance, a course of study in the higher mathematics and in other branches. He soon became Principal of the Owego Academy, a position he occupied eighteen years. He was present at the New York State Teachers' Association in 1845 and was elected its President in 1848. In 1852 he became one of the editors of the New York Teacher and at the same time acted as associate Principal of the Binghamton Academy. He was called to be professor of mathematics and Principal of the Normal department of the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute in 1854. He continued in that capacity until 1857, when he was elected
(Page 17)

County Superintendent. After serving two terms as County Superintendent, he was appointed by Governor Curtin, State Superintendent, the duties of which office he assumed the first Monday of June, 1863. Owing to poor health, he resigned this position in 1866, which was accepted on condition of his remaining in the office as deputy. Being thus freed from the most arduous duties of the office, he continued until a few months of his death to devote his energies to the school interests of Pennsylvania. He was the author of a work on intellectual philosophy. "His articles were clear, pointed and practical. They evinced energy, soundness and generous impulses. As a teacher, he insisted upon order and attention, and to all yielding these, he exercised indefatigable patience and rare skill in commanding knowledge. Though rather stern and severe in appearance, he was impelled by as kind a heart as ever beat and by an ambition to do others good." Superintendent Coburn died March 8, 1869 at Nichols, N.Y. in his 60th year.

Andrew C. died in Warren, 1839, leaving a widow, Maria W. D. Coburn, and children, Mary T., Ebenezer, Benjamin C. and Andrew.

Nehemiah died in Warren, 1839, being survived by his widow, Sarah.

Ruth, whose husband, Michael Dewing, had died, with her four sons, Jeremiah, Andrew, Alexander and Edward, and two daughters, accompanied her father to Warren. She afterwards married Joseph Armstrong.

Zilpah married, June 22, 1802, Eliphalet Mason, being undoubtedly the first wedding in Warren. She died of fever, June 15, 1803.

Jonathan Coburn who came with his brother, Ebenezer, and son, Moses, to Warren, died, 1813, of fever as did another of his sons, George. John and Nathan Coburn, early settlers of Warren, were evidently either sons of his or Moses.

John died in Warren, 1826, leaving widow, Charlotte, brothers, Noah Mason Coburn and Alexander Coburn and sisters, Polly and Susannah Coburn.

Moses Coburn, son of Jonathan, evidently came to Warren at about the same time as Ebenezer and Jonathan. He had married in Connecticut, Maria Horton. Both died in Warren, the latter in 1849 and the former, 1850. Their nine children who married as follows were: Daniel H. to Harriet Dewing; Roswell L. to Lucy Keeler; Frances to James Olmstead; Phoebe to Nathan Young; Mary; Augustus to Sophia Manning; George to Caroline Barton; Harriet to Harmon Knapp; Betsy to Mr. Landers.

Powell -- Among the Moravian missionaries who took up the work of that faith in America were Joseph and Samuel Powell, brothers, who came from Shropshire on the border of Wales in 1742. They first preached in New Haven, but finally joined the mission at Bethlehem -- the chief Moravian settlement. Joseph was active and prominent as a

(Page 18)

missionary for years. He labored in the holy cause among the Indians and negroes of Jamaica, and at various missions, being sent finally to the Indian station, Wechquandnach, Connecticut on the confines of the state of New York and died at Sharon. He was the father of Stephen.

Stephen Powell enlisted in the American army, January 1, 1777 from Westchester county, N.Y. in Capt. Samuel T. Pell's company, 2nd New York regiment, commanded by Col. Philip Van Cortlandt. He is said to have lost a leg at the battle of the Cowpens but remained in the service till May 21, 1783, when he was discharged. In 1801 he removed with his family from Dutchess county to Ulster, settling the first farm above the narrows. Here he continued to reside until the time of his death, September 18, 1806, aged 52 years. Mr. Powell had married, May 24, 1777, Mary Burdge. She survived her husband many years and died at the home of her son in Penn Yan, N.Y. Their children were:

Margaret, born October 29, 1781, married Benjamin Shaw and lived at Penn Yan, N.Y.

Elizabeth, born February 19, 1783, married David Winans of Penn Yan, N.Y.

Joseph Cash, born June 10, 1786 at Stratford, N.Y., spent his early life upon his father's farm. In 1810 he married Miss Mary Smith of Ulster, and a few years subsequent sold out his interests and removed to Troy, where he engaged in the mercantile business. He took an active part in the organization of the county and was several times called to fill important public positions, being county commissioner, sheriff, prothonotary and representative. Upon being elected to sheriff in 1821, he removed to Towanda and finally, to his farm in North Towanda, where he died September 2, 1854. For several years he engaged in lumbering and for a time kept a store at Towanda and another at Burlington. By his first marriage his children were Smith Herrick, Percival, Benjamin Franklin and George. For his second wife, Mr. Powell married Mrs. Vespasian Ellis (Selina Phillips), their children being Vespasian, Joseph (late prominent merchant and banker of Towanda, member of congress, sheriff, etc.), Lucretia (Mrs. John K. Baker) and Mary Selina (Mrs. W. B. Webb).

Hannah, born March 16, 1790, never married, spent most of her life in Troy, died June 19, 1841 and is buried in Riverside cemetery, Towanda.

Lewis, born March 31, 1792, married and settled on a farm near Troy, finally sold out and removed to Michigan, where he died.

John, born March 9, 1794, married Almira Legg and lived at Penn

(Page 19)

Yan, N.Y., where he became a man of affluence, and was a noted Methodist.

James, born July 4, 1796, died unmarried November 19, 1816.

Stephen, born March 13, 1798, married Jerusha Amelia Wilcox, lived at North Towanda, subsequently removed West. His wife, born November 3, 1800, died August 16, 1860 and is buried in Riverside cemetery.

Richard, born October 18, 1801, removed to Warren county, Pa. and reared a family of considerable note.

Richard Wheeler, a brother of Isaac Wheeler (I-195), came from Kinderhook, N.Y. to Asylum about 1800. He died in the town.

Nicholas Johnson, a brother of Mrs. Isaac Wheeler, came from Kinderhook before the year 1800, first stopping at Towanda, then settling in Asylum. He removed to Ohio about 1833. Richard Johnson, a brother of Nicholas, followed him into the county. Both he and his wife died at Frenchtown.

Ambrose Vincent, who had also married a sister of Mrs. Isaac Wheeler, about the year 1805, joined his relatives in Asylum. In 1822 or '23 he was killed at Wysox by the caving in of a well. He had a son, William, who married Mary Cornelius.

Henry Cornelius came from Kinderhook to Bradford county about the year 1800. He joined the settlement of the Johnsons, Vincents, Vanderpools and Wheelers, having married Mary Johnson, sister of Nicholas. During the Revolutionary war, in 1778, he joined the regiment commanded by Colonel Shaick and served until he was captured by the enemy at Fort Stanwix and carried to Canada, where he was held a prisoner until the close of the struggle. He was given a pension by the government. Mr. Cornelius died on the mountain below Towanda on a little farm which he owned. He had a daughter, Mary, who married William Vincent.

The Millers, settling in Monroe and Albany, were from New Jersey and relatives of Mrs. Samuel Cranmer. They began coming to the county about 1800. Jedediah Miller died in Monroe, February 17, 1817, aged 76 years and his wife, Elizabeth, November 25, 1814, aged 63 years. Both are buried at Cole's.

Daniel Miller, born January 6, 1779, remained in Monroe until 1805, when he moved into Albany and settled at Laddsburg where he had begun improvements. He at first saw sore times, indeed. He was required to go to Fowler's to mill, a distance of 11 miles and had to cross the South Branch 16 times. One grist he put on his horse's back and carried a second one himself. Wolves were numerous

(Page 20)

and their wild howls at night, added horror to the gloom. Deer were plentiful, but "venison all the while," became an unsavory article on the bill of fare. He manufactured maple sugar and carried it to Monroe and exchanged it for pork, until he could raise hogs for his own use. After getting a little start, with some old gearing which the French had left, he constructed a saw-mill and later a grist-mill. These were gradually improved and enlarged and became an important enterprise. He not only kept his mills in operation but cleared and improved a large farm. He was known as "the honest miller," was kind and obliging and a consistent Christian. His useful life came to a close, October 8, 1856. Mr. Miller had married, February 19, 1802, Hannah, daughter of Gordon Fowler of Monroe. She bore her part nobly and lent her willing hand in assisting her husband. She was a great weaver and not only spun and wove for her own family, but for her neighbors. Her demise occurred March 20, 1850, aged 70 years. The children of Daniel and Hannah Miller were:

Roxanna, born October 14, 1803, married Abraham Waltman, died October 25, 1868.

Elizabeth, born March 7, 1806, married Everett Vanloon.

Hannah, born July 4, 1808, married Joshua Vanloon.

Mary, born December 6, 1810, married Paul Quick.

Lovina, born May 20, 1813, married John Bolitheo, died September 3, 1881.

Daniel F., born December 26, 1815, died December 13, 1863.

Sally J., born August 6, 1821, married E. R. Jones.

Russell, born June 15, 1824, married Margaret O., daughter of Moses A. Ladd, died December 4, 1905.

Shadrach Miller, a cousin of Daniel, went from Monroe to Albany in the winter of 1814-'15 and took up a farm about a half mile south of Laddsburg. He kept bachelor's hall. He lived in the township many years then removed to Sullivan county where he died.

Jacob Miller, a brother of Daniel, located in Albany in 1818. He married Miss Susan Waltman, and after some years sold out and moved to Ohio.

William Miller, a brother of Jacob, also settled in Albany at about the same time as the latter. He subsequently moved to Sullivan county.

Moses Miller, another brother of Daniel and Jacob, settled on Hatch Hill in Albany. He was a successful hunter, and was noted for his honesty. He married Mrs. Nelly Carr of Monroe.