Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1800-1825
Vol. II - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 44-63
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.

Photo by Joyce M. Tice 23 OCT 2002
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
Pages 1-20 PP 21-43 PP 44-63 PP 63-82 PP 83-105 PP 106-130 PP 131-153 PP 153-170 PP 171-189

(Page 44)

Jeptha Brainard, a native of Chatham, Conn. removed with his family to Windham in 1801. He had been a sailor and served seven years in the struggle for Independence, ending by being captured by the British and confined in a prison-ship. He was induced to this section of country from the reports of cheapness of the lands, fertility of soil and advantages of water-power for the construction of mills. He first purchased under Connecticut title, which proved worthless, and lost all after having made improvements and constructed mills upon the property. Afterwards he purchased 640 acres of State's land and made an opening on the right bank of the Wappasening where he built his log house. Mr. Brainard is remembered "not only as a kindly and social neighbor, a capital story-teller over his mug of cider, but a prominent man in the pioneer settlement, being often chosen to adjudicate disputes." He had married, 1779, Abigail Mack of East Haddam, Conn., died July 3, 1825, aged 71 years; she died, 1837, aged 79. Their children were:

Darius, born October, 1780, married Tamar Williamson of Owego, lived in Windham where he died April 12, 1824, leaving a widow, one daughter and five sons.

Levi, born November 29, 1781, died September 25, 1817 in Windham, unmarried.

Drusilla, born August, 1783, married, 1808, John Dunham and had two daughters and a son, John L.; died August 12, 1825.

Jeptha, born July 23, 1787, married, 1810, Betsy Smith; "he was an inveterate joker, and yet was appointed a justice of the peace and was licensed a Methodist preacher"; he removed to Illinois in 1837.

Henry, born October 11, 1799, died April, 1824 in Windham, unmarried.

Theron Darling came from Litchfield, Connecticut to Orwell, 1801. His father, Abel Darling, accompanied him. The former was prominent in the affairs of the pioneer settlement. He filled various positions in the state militia and was popularly known as "Colonel" Darling. In speaking of the "Great Hunt of 1818," one who remembers it well, says: "Among Colonel Stevens' hunters was Maj. Theron Darling. He was a man over six feet tall. In the chase of one of the deer on the knoll, a big doe, Major Darling stood still, waiting for the deer to be driven his way. He stood with his long legs wide apart. Suddenly the doe started toward him, ducked her head and rushed between the major's legs, that being the most available opening she saw for escape. The contact threw the major forward on the doe's body. He mechanically clasped his arms about her horns. Away the

(Page 45)

perplexed deer flew through the forest, bearing Major Darling, feet first, along with her. He held on and after the deer had run with him half a mile or more, he managed to catch her by one hind leg and trip her up. She fell heavily to the ground and before she could regain her feet the major cut her throat." Major or Colonel Darling married July 25, 1801, Sarah ("Sally"), daughter of John and Mary (Woodruff) Russell. He was born May 26, 1779 at Litchfield, Conn. and died July 24, 1850 in Orwell; his wife died Feby. 16, 1870, aged 87 years. Their children, who married as follows, were: Abel P. to Laura Allis; William R. to Elizabeth Lovett; Dennis R. to Ruby Goodwin; Polly Ann never married; Adaline H. to John Beardslee; Major B. first to Mary Jane Beckwith, 2nd to Susan Wheaton; Lyman H. died unmarried; Elizabeth to Wm. N. Morgan; Cullen R. to Juliette Beebe; Nancy E. never married.

John Russell, a patriot of the Revolution, was born, January 3, 1754, at Wethersfield, Conn. He was the fourth son of Stephen Russell, a lineal descendant of John Russell, who sheltered Whalley and Goffe, two of the judges who sentenced Charles I of England to be beheaded. He was among the first to offer his services in the struggle for Independence, enlisting May 6, 1775 as a drummer in the 9th company, under Capt. John Clark of the Second regiment, Connecticut Volunteers, commanded by Col. Joseph Spencer. He participated in the battle of Bunker Hill; was discharged September 6, 1775; afterwards re-enlisted and fought at the battles of Long Island and White Plains, being wounded in the latter engagement. He married Mary Woodruff, sister of Capt. Samuel Woodruff and Mrs. Josiah (Lysena) Grant (I-300) and removed from Connecticut, 1800, settling near the present Loundsbery station in the town of Owego, N.Y. Here he remained four years, then because of continued sickness in the family returned to Connecticut. His occupation was that of shoemaker, tanner and currier. In 1814 the family came to Bradford county, settling in Orwell township, where they remained for a short time. Here Mr. Russell's wife having died, he went to Windham and spent the balance of his days with his son, Henry, where he died September 1, 1820. His remains repose in the cemetery near Windham Center. The children of John and Mary Russell were Edmund, Brazilla, Sarah, Samuel W., Mary W., Henry, John, William, Julius, George W. and Elizabeth.

Edmund, born 1779, married Clarissa, daughter of Josiah and Lysena (Woodruff) Grant (I-300); died February 21, 1840 in Windham. "The intrepid Lieut. Edmund Russell, whose untimely death, 1853, at the hands of the Indians in Colusa county, California and so generally lamented, was a son of the above. He graduated at West Point, 1846, with high honors. In many

(Page 46)

of the severest engagements of the Mexican war, between Vera Cruz and the Capitol under General Scott, he was the bravest of the brave; at Churubusco, Chapultepec and Molina Del Ray few reaped brighter laurels. For the skill in which he discharged his duty while in charge of a heavy battery at the storming of Chapultepec, he was flatteringly noticed by General Scott in his official report. At Molina Del Ray he was in the thickest of the fight, his company being almost entirely cut to pieces. For his gallantry he was promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant. He was afterwards in the command of the fort at Sault St. Marie and subsequently was ordered to California, where he fell victim to the blind vengeance of the natives. A more gallant soldier never belonged to our country's 'banded chivalry'." He was 32 years of age. The other children of Edmund and Clarissa Russell were Charles, Mary, Clarissa, Eliza and John Grant.

Brazilla, b. Oct. 2, 1781, married Esther Spencer of Hartford, Conn., died May 18, 1818.

Sarah, b. February 15, 1783, married Theron Darling of Orwell, died February 16, 1870.

Samuel W., b. August 20, 1784, married Lucy Dickinson of Wethersfield, Conn., died August 21, 1852 in Windham.

Mary W., b. 1786, married 1st Samuel Anthony of Litchfield, Conn., 2nd James Bush of Nichols, N.Y., died 1868 at Nichols.

Henry ("Harry"), b. January 16, 1788, married Lydia Smith of Owego, N.Y., died September 21, 1871 in Windham.

John, married 1st Martha Wadsworth of Hartford, Conn., 2nd Lydia Wadsworth (sister of his first wife), died January 1858 in North Janesville, Wis.

William, born 1794, married Eliza Kremer of Middletown, Conn., died March 15, 1854.

Julius, born October 16, 1796, married, July 23, 1823, Eliza Seymour of Hartford, Conn., died February 9, 1868 in Windham. In 1842 he was elected, and served one term as Register and Recorder. He was father of the late Hon. Chauncey S. Russell of Towanda.

George W. married Susan Baer of Waterloo, N.Y., died in Wisconsin.

Elizabeth, b. March 31, 1803, married Ivers Baker, died December 25, 1884 in Warren.

Adrian Post, whose ancestors were from Holland, came to Sheshequin with his family about 1801. He sold his property in what is now Paterson, N.J. with a view of locating in the Lake country. In the course of his journey he drifted into Sheshequin. Here, he and his wife both died, the former about 1806 and the latter about 1835. Their children were:

Peter lived and died on the homestead, unmarried.

(Page 47)

John married Betsey, daughter of Samuel Shores, and occupied a portion of the homestead. Their children were Anna (Mrs. Elisha Newell), Lorena (Mrs. Wm. Morris), Matilda (Mrs. David Kilmer), Ellen (Mrs. Leander Burlingame) and Dennis.

Elias married Lucretia, daughter of John Elliott and occupied a portion of the homestead. Their children were William, Joseph, Lottie, Anna (Mrs. Chester Childs), Jane (Mrs. Pratt Mosier), Lesulph (Mrs. James Schultz), James and Victor E.

Aaron also occupied a part of the homestead. He was a noted old-time pedagogue; was self-taught and began teaching at the age of 17 years, continuing for 40 terms. As a mathematician he possessed unusual talents. He married Cynthia Landrus and they had the following children: Lucretia (Mrs. Stephen Vosburg), Lorenzo D., Lemuel L., Martha (Mrs. Andrew Smith), John R., Margaret (Mrs. Chas. H. Preston), Laura (Mrs. Horton Shores) and Esmeralda (Mrs. Llewellyn Harris).

Margaret married Joshua, son of Samuel Shores.

Anna married William, son of Samuel Shores.

Sarah ("Sally") married 1st Nathaniel Fuller, 2nd David Kenyon.

Reuben Shumway, a patriot of the Revolution came from Steuben county, N.Y. to Bradford county, 1801, first stopping at Wyalusing and settling permanently in Tuscarora, 1805. He was one of the trusted soldiers who stood guard over Maj. Andre. On another occasion when it was deemed necessary that he should perform picket duty at a place where several soldiers preceding him had been shot, he said to the officer in charge, "you will hear my gun before morning." That night an Indian covered with a hog skin, cautiously approached the sentry, a gun cracked and a dead Indian was found the next morning. The old hero was a thorough pioneer and spent his closing days in the township on lands which are still owned and occupied by his descendants. He married Miss Mariam Town, who died, 1819, being the first person buried in the old cemetery on Spring Hill. Their children were:

Esther married and never came to Tuscarora.

Silvenus married Esther, daughter of Benj. Hurlbut and removed to Ohio.

Darius married Catherine, daughter of Benj. Hurlbut, lived in Tuscarora where he was killed by the running away of a team in 1845.

Luther died in childhood.

Cyrus married Bridget Clark, lived and died in Tuscarora; was father of William, still a prominent resident of the town.

Alva married Rhoda Quick and removed to Illinois.

(Page 48)

Reuben married Mary Ann Foster.

Sally died young.

James Anderson, a native of County Monaghan, Ireland, settled in Wilmot, 1802, living first on Sugar Hill and afterwards on the Wilson place in Quick's Bend. "On Sabbath mornings he would take his family in his canoe, push it up the river to near Browntown and then walk three miles to Wyalusing, the place of meeting; and though the way was long and the journey difficult, they were seldom absent from divine service." Mr. Anderson was noted for his great physical powers. His eldest daughter, Elizabeth, married Abial, son of Richard Keeney and lived in Wyoming county. Another daughter, Ellen, married William Lake and resided near Laceyville. In 1818 Mr. Anderson sold to Captain Wilson and moved to Ohio where he was killed, 1829 by the fall of a limb from a tree.

John D. Saunders came from Maryland to Monroe about 1802, settling the Ridgway place on the South Branch. He moved into his log cabin before it had either door or windows. A blanket was supplemented for a door and at night wolves would scratch against it in the hope of admittance. He made a considerable improvement, put up a mill and engaged in lumbering. Subsequently his mill was swept away by a heavy spring flood. Mr. Saunders married Joannah, daughter of Stephen and Joannah Latimer of Franklin. In 1822 he sold to Burr Ridgway and removed West.

Mason--The history of this family has been traced to the time of Cromwell in whose army a Mason served as a drummer and was killed in battle. He left three sons, John, Robert and Nathaniel, all of whom came to America. John settled at Hartford and gained distinction in the Pequod war as "Capt. John Mason." Robert located at Boston. His grandson, Robert, settled at Ashford, Conn. where he purchased land at a penny an acre. The last named was the great-grandfather of the Masons, settling in Bradford county.

Eliphalet Mason, son of Deacon Ebenezer and Mary Hastings Mason was born June 23, 1780 in Ashford, Windham county, Conn. His early life was spent upon a farm and in his father's cooper-shop. He obtained a good rudimentary education and with a view of preparing for the ministry he was advanced in his studies under direction of Rev. Enoch Pond. Circumstances turned against him and he abandoned the thought of a college education. He worked at coopering and gave attention to the composition of music, resulting in the production of a song-book, which became quite popular. In May, 1802, he started for Pennsylvania on horseback to find the object of his early affections.

(Page 49)

After a journey of ten days he reached the home of Parley Coburn in Warren, whose daughter, Zilpah, he married, June 22nd following. During his stay in Warren he constructed an old-fashioned spring pole foot lathe by using old chain links for gudgeons and with a sap-tree gauge and framing chisel for his tools, manufactured six kitchen chairs and two spinning wheels, the first known in that part of the county.

In a fortnight he returned to Connecticut, coming to Warren again in October. He says: "My all as regards property was a horse, saddle and bridle, portmanteau and 31 cents in money. The hors I sold for $60." During the winter of 1802-'3 he taught a school of three months in Wysox and instructed in music at Towanda, Wysox and Sugar Creek. So well pleased were his patrons at Wysox, they hired him to continue the school for a year. In the midst of his prosperity his wife was stricken of fever and died June 15, 1803. Money was scarce and he received his pay for teaching in wheat. In the winter of 1803-'4 he taught a school of four months in the district of Wm. Means and gave instruction in singing at Monroeton. He purchased (1804) of Reed Brockaway his property in Monroeton, consisting of 12 acres of improved land with a log house thereon. "Here," he says, "I concluded to make my future home." Continuing from Mr. Mason's autobiography:

On October 22, 1804 he married Roxy, daughter of Gordon Fowler (I-336). Worked at coopering, winter of 1804-'5 in Lancaster county, and the following spring in company with Abner C. Rockwell made up a raft of lumber and took it down the river. Afterwards went to Northumberland county and engaged in teaching school until September, when he says: "After tarrying home about two weeks, in company with Rogers Fowler, Russell Fowler, Abner C. Rockwell, Daniel Miller and Warner Ladd, we went to explore the country through the wilderness in a direct line to Northumberland. We went up the South Branch of the Towanda Creek, leaving it at the old French saw-mill, which was the last trace of settlement on this side of the mountain." Upon reaching Northumberland, all the party save Mr. Mason started back, he remaining in the county during the winter teaching singing and day school. In the fall of 1806 Mr. Mason says: "In company with my father-in-law and brother-in-law, Jonathan Fowler, we manufactured 250 barrels and floated them down the river to Wilkes Barre and sold them, but did not much more than realize expenses."

Winter of 1806-'7 he taught again at Monroeton and in the spring of 1807 at Towanda, continuing six months. October 24, 1807 he was commissioned a justice of the peace and held that office continually until it was made elective by the State Constitution. Turning his attention to farming, he purchased a possession of 120 acres a mile from Monroeton, erected a house and moved in with his family. In the fall of 1809 became interested with other parties in the erection of a saw-mill at Masontown. In October, 1810 was a judge for Towanda at the general election and carried the returns to Wilkes-Barre thence to Bethlehem with the vote for congress. Fall of 1811, Mr. Mason says: "I had concluded to commence the mercantile business, there being no store kept on the Towanda side of the river. Wm. Means having suspended business, at least for a time, left the country

(Page 50)

without goods for the consumption of the settlers. He continued business two years, then being unable to collect his bills and creditors taking advantage of his embarrassment, he was compelled to abandon the enterprise. In 1812 he erected the first steam distillery ever known in Bradford county.

Mr. Mason says: "Winter of 1813-'14 I taught school in the schoolhouse standing where the village of Monroeton now is. During my teaching Wm. Weston with his brother, John, then a young man of about 20 years, came to the place to instruct in the art of writing. They taught in my school and I took lessons of them.

Spring of 1814 I entered into an agreement with the young man, John, since Dr. Weston, to take a tour with him in the southern part of the state to instruct in this art. I returned the first of September without having earned more than enough to pay expenses." Fall of 1814 Mr. Mason was commissioned a Lieutenant of militia and with others was drafted in the War of 1812. A company of 110 men was raised and placed under his command and sent to Danville awaiting orders, but returned home after a month's absence. In 1814 he was elected county auditor for a term of three years and served as deputy sheriff under A. C. Rockwell the last year of his term. He moved to Towanda with his family, 1816. That year he was elected county commissioner over his brother-in-law, A. C. Rockwell, the Federal candidate.

Mr. Mason says: "In the spring of 1817 grain was very scarce. Corn had been ruined by the frosts of the fall before and every kind of food was scarce. It became evident that some one must undertake to supply the village with meat, and as I could best afford the time the task fell upon me. Indeed, so great was the dependence upon me that the villagers could not boil the pot without my providing. Summer of 1818 burned a kiln of brick which I mostly struck or molded with my own hands, having become somewhat acquainted with that kind of business while living in Hartford." He was commissioned Register of Wills and Recorder of Deeds, 1818 and served three years. In 1821 he moved back to Monroe and that year built a half mile of the Susquehanna and Tioga turnpike between Towanda and Sugar Creek. He was appointed, 1824 with Edward Eldred and William Brindle to lay out a state road from Muncy to Towanda. While thus employed he also received the appointment of Deputy Surveyor of Bradford county. In 1829 he was again elected county commissioner.

In 1830 he was appointed agent for the Asylum Company's lands and in 1834 to take charge of the C. S. Miller lands. In conjunction with a Mr. Jones the Miller lands were explored and valuable beds of bituminous coal found north of the Schrader. In 1837 Mr. Mason and his son, Gordon F., purchased of the Asylum Company several thousand acres of land within Bradford county. They realized a handsome fortune from the investment. Mr. Mason continued in active and varied business till 1844 when he threw off most of his cares to enjoy his closing days. He found great comfort in making verse, reading his papers and frequently contributing an article to the press.

Mr. Mason was a man of genius, indomitable energy and undaunted courage. His integrity was unquestioned and of littleness he was never accused. His death occurred March 11, 1853. The children of Eliphalet and Roxy Mason were:

Zilpha, born January 26, 1806, married Isaac Rogers of Monroe.

Roxy, born December 10, 1807, married Charles Birch of Monroe.

Gordon F., born January 19, 1810, married Mary A. Mason, died

(Page 51)

October 26, 1882 in Towanda. He was for many years extensively engaged in the sale of real estate; in 1846 was elected state senator; was several years engaged in the banking business and other enterprises; during the war was one of the most urgent in calling men to duty in the preservation of the Union; completed Blackstone and was admitted to the Bar at the age of 65 years; was familiarly known as "Colonel Mason" from his connection with the state militia. His children were Julius, Addison, Maria (Mrs. G. H. Watkins), Almira (Mrs. Charles Wells), Irene (Mrs. Daniel Searle), Newton E. and Edward.

Rufus, born January 31, 1812, married Elizabeth Foster of Towanda.

Eliphalet Hastings, born April 28, 1815, married, June 6, 1838, Philinda Woodruff of Monroe; studied medicine and practiced at Towanda where he died February 3, 1871.

William A., born September 29, 1819, married Mary A. Cheney of Windham; resided at Laporte, Pa. and was a civil engineer and associate judge of Sullivan county.

Lemuel A., born March 22, 1821, died in young manhood.

Sarah, born February 4, 1826, married Jacob Veiley of Troy.

Ebenezer Mason, born October 2, 1782, came to Monroe, fall of 1820, through the influence of his brother, Eliphalet. He moved his family from Connecticut the next year. He was an all-around genius, being cooper, carpenter, wagon-maker and gunsmith. His son, William J., afterward occupied the place where he lived, labored and died May 10, 1873. He had married Martha Harwood, who was born November 28, 1780 and died February 27, 1868. Their children were:

Mehitable, born October 8, 1804, married Moses Kellogg, died May 19, 1881.

Henrietta, born June 10, 1806, married John Needham and moved West.

William J., born May 4, 1809, married Sarah Lantz and occupied the homestead.

Rufus, born October 1, 1810, went to Ohio, read and practiced medicine.

Mary A., born February 26, 1813, married Gordon F. Mason, died July 4, 1895.

Martha, born April 29, 1815, married Daniel F. Miller.

Elizabeth, born February 15, 1817, married Daniel F. Miller.

Margaret, born November 16, 1819, married Charles Boyles.

David, born May 2, 1822, married Mary Steel, died July 22, 1894.

Harriet, born December 24, 1824, married Anthony Mullen.

(Page 52)

Alanson, born August 13, 1813, married Elizabeth Simpson.

Chester Mason, born June 10, 1793, brother of Eliphalet and Ebenezer, came to Monroe in 1821. He was a cooper by trade but gave attention to lumbering and farming. He occupied the Park's place and died there. He was an honest, sober, industrious, thorough-going Yankee. His death occurred November 25, 1843. He married Clarissa, sister of Libeus Marcy. Their children were:

Amelia married Samuel R. Mason of Philadelphia.

Laura married Isaac Foster of Monroe.

John married Elizabeth Ingham and lived at Canton.

Alva went to the gold regions when a young man.

David Blanchard came to the Towanda Creek valley as early as 1800. For some years he lived on the road between Monroeton and Towanda. About 1817 he moved to other parts with his family. Mrs. Blanchard is remembered as an ardent Methodist.

Perley ("Parley") White located on the Daniel Bowman place, Towanda township in or before, 1801. As was the custom a hundred years ago he wore "buckskin trousers," and it is related of him, that he sold his leather pants to buy his wife a looking glass. In 1819 White sold out and went West.

Nathaniel Talcott came to what is now Towanda village soon after the year 1800 and kept a little store. He removed to other parts in 1809.

Lorenzo Hovey ("Hobley", "Harvey") was a lumberman and began the operation of mills on Towanda Creek about 1800, first the old Hale mill and afterwards other mills up the creek. He appears to have left this section, 1810.

Jacob Wagner of Northumberland, Pa. settled the Weston place in Monroe township before 1804. He was one of the contractors in building the old turnpike. He left, 1815.

William McGill, a native of Ireland and stone-mason by trade, "to better his fortunes," about the year 1795 bade farewell to Hibernia forever and set sail for "the land of the free." For awhile he labored near Reading. In 1804 he came to Bradford county and found employment with Jacob Bowman whose daughter, Mary, he afterwards married. In 1823 he moved from the Creek to the Towanda hills where he ever afterward resided. He was a man highly esteemed and was familiarly known as "Uncle Billy." His death occurred Sept. 15, 1855, aged 77 years, 4 mos. and 5 ds. Mrs. McGill died June 29, 1849, aged 59 years, 1 mo. and 25 ds. Their children were:

Mary married Martin V. Moore of Rome.

(Page 53)

Eliza married Benjamin Smith of Sheshequin.

Dennis married Susan Santee and occupied part of the homestead.

William married 1st Rachel Santee, 2nd Miss DuBois, moved to Illinois where he died.

Jacob married Eliza Thomas and followed shoemaking at Monroeton.

Marinda married 1st Edward Patterson, 2nd John Gorham of LeRaysville.

Hiram W. married Mrs. Emily (Sweet) Bowman, lived and died in Towanda.

Adelia married Byron Griffis of Susquehanna county, Pa.

Rebecca married Mallory Wolfe of Luzerne county, Pa.

Jacob Roals, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, came to Towanda 1804-'5 from Sunbury, Pa. He occupied a log house on Welles' flats a few years and from there moved to Canton, thence to the state of New York. His children were Mary, Elizabeth (1st Mrs. David S. Dimmock, 2nd Mrs. Elias Thompson), James, John, William, Margaret (Mrs. John Bowman) and Jonathan.

Wanton Rice located at Ulster, 1802 and opened a hostelry which he conducted a few years. In 1815 he sold his property to Charles Chapman and removed to Athens. An old tombstone in the Ulster cemetery bears this inscription: "Mrs. Mercy, consort of Wanton Rice and daughter of O. Gardner, died April 12, 1813, in her 42nd yr."

Merrill--The family of this name, settling in Bradford county, were originally from Hartford county, Conn. Eleazer, son of Abraham Merrill, married Rebecca Woodruff and had children, Solomon, Eleazer, Abijah, Joshua, Rebecca (Mrs. Daniel Doane), Theda and Ruth. After two of the sons of Mr. and Mrs. Merrill had settled in Litchfield, they came also, 1806 and lived with them until their death.

Eleazer Merrill, Jr. and his brother, Solomon, came from Farmingham, Conn. to Litchfield in the spring of 1803 and began improvements on the land which they had purchased under Connecticut title. After having erected log houses, chopped and burned fallows and sown grain, they returned East for their families with whom they arrived at their uninviting homes in November. They were God-fearing and heroic pioneers, enduring uncomplainingly the privations and hardships incident to life in a great wilderness. Eleazer Merrill, Jr. married Nancy Booth. He died April 4, 1855, aged 83 years and his wife in 1842, aged 74 years. Their children were:

Hiram, born March 3, 1798, married 1st Susanna Wolcott by whom he had nine children; married 2nd Nellie West; 3rd Mary M. (Wolcott) Wood--no children by last marriages; he died, 1879.

(Page 54)

Nancy married Chauncy Park of Rome; died, 1862, aged 80, leaving a daughter (Mrs. Cyrus Van Winkle).

Elisha B. married 1st Celestia Arlington and had four sons and four daughters; married 2nd Rachel J. Halsey; died 1888, aged 87 years.

Milo married Catherine, daughter of Samuel Hulett and had seven sons and two daughters; died, 1871, aged 68 years.

Thomas B. married Eliva Rose and had eleven children; died, 1879, aged 74 years.

Ira married Maria Wolcott and occupied the homestead; they had seven children; he died 1878, aged 70 years and his wife, 1900, aged 86.

Solomon Merrill settled near his brother in Litchfield and died there, 1844, aged 74 years. He had married Abigail Stoddard who died, 1833, aged 55 years. Their children were:

Alma married James Burns and had five children; died 1839, aged 41 years.

Betsy married Benjamin Wolcott and had 12 children; died 1878, aged 79 years.

Cyrus married Nancy Matilda Hicks and had four children; died 1886, aged 84 years.

George married 1st Jerusha Boyington, 2nd Catherine Boyce; was the father of four children; died 1891, aged 82 years.

Anna married Elijah Munn and had seven children; died 1889, aged 81 years.

Abigail married Joseph P. Munn and had six children; died 1876, aged 64 years.

Theodosia married Robert J. Mastin and had six children.

The Wolcotts of Bradford county, descendant from Silas Wolcott, trace their ancestry in direct line from the Wolcotts of Tolland, England in Somerset where official records show the family settled as early as 1525. Henry Wolcott, the founder of the family in America, was the second son of John. He married Elizabeth Saunders, came to America in 1628 and two years later returned to bring his family. They landed at Nantucket, May 30, 1630. Wolcott remained in Massachusetts six years then joined a party moving to Connecticut. He settled at Windsor, where he died May 30, 1655. His third son was George (who married Elizabeth Curtis) who was the father of Josiah. Josiah married, April 25, 1740, Mrs. Lucy White French, widow of Joseph French and daughter of Capt. Daniel White. They lived at Saybrook and in New Hampshire and New Jersey. They had a son, Silas.

Silas Wolcott, son of Josiah and Lucy (White) Wolcott, was

(Page 55)

born August 4, 1755 in New Hampshire. He grew up in New Jersey and drifted into eastern Pennsylvania. In April, 1776, he enlisted in the 13th regiment Pennsylvania line and served as a private under Captains Weitzel and Robb with Colonels Samuel Miles and Walter Stewart as regimental commanders until January 1, 1778 when he was mustered out at Valley Forge. While the American army was encamped at the latter place he had the distinction of being one of Washington's body-guard. Leaving the army he went to Lancaster, Pa., where he married Margaret Rowen the same year. Later he went up the West Branch of the Susquehanna and in 1788 settled in the wilderness, clearing a farm and erecting a saw and grist mill on a site now covered by the village of Havana, N.Y., being the first white settler in that section. Later he moved to Ithaca and finally to Litchfield in 1806. "He was a great hunter, the chase being a passion with him and it was the abundance of deer in this section that induced him to come to the county." He enjoyed the benefits of a pension in his old age. His death occurred June 4, 1834 in Litchfield. Mrs. Wolcott died December 20, 1844, aged 88 years. Both rest in the Park cemetery. Their children were:

Elijah, born March 29, 1781, married, 1802, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Park (I-152), settled in Litchfield where he died January 30, 1840; his wife died January 26, 1873, aged 85 years. Their children, who married as follows were: Susannah to Hiram Merrill; Thomas to Eliza Gillett; Silas to Maria McCauley; Samuel to Lydia Bidlack; Maria to Ira Merrill; Elijah to Harriet Rose; Polly 1st to Henry Wood, 2nd to Hiram Merrill; William to Asenath Hotchkiss; Hannah; Amos Prentice to Esther J. Munn; Louisa to Elias M. Hadlock; Marion to Walter K. Green.

Mary married Thomas Munn and was the mother of one daughter and 13 sons.

Dorcas married Joseph Pew of Ithaca, N.Y.

Minerva married Wm. Reed and removed to Michigan.

Silas married Effa Pixley and went West.

Benjamin married Elizabeth Merrill.

Margaret married 1st Samuel Park, 2nd Thomas Park (brother of first husband).

Loviah married 1st John Perrigo of Ithaca, N.Y., 2nd Asa Caufman.


Parkers--Jeremiah, Joseph and Reuben Parker were in the Sheshequin neighborhood as early as 1794 and all quite liberal patrons of

(Page 56)

Judge Gore. In 1799 Hezekiah, Jeremiah and Samuel Parker were petitioners with others for a road from Sheshequin to Rome. Their names and also that of Joseph appear on the assessment rolls of Ulster as late as 1804; the name of Reuben is not found after 1796. Whether these Parkers were of the same family who afterwards settled in Rome we are unable to state. Of the name, Samuel and Ephraim were the first to come to Rome.

Samuel Parker, who had formerly resided at Rensselaerville on the Hudson, removed to Canton township where he married Elizabeth, daughter of Isaiah Grover (I-244). He remained at Canton until after 1813 when he joined the Bumpus settlement in Rome. He purchased first a tract of 106 acres (known as Townsend farm) which he afterwards sold and purchased a larger tract, embracing the J. B. Wheaton and Alvin Vanduzer farms. Here he toiled the balance of his years and died May 17, 1847, aged 74 years, 11 mos. and 28 days. His wife died January 28, 1854, aged 70 years, 3 mos. and 4 days. Their children, all of whom lived and died in the neighborhood were:

Julia Ann married Ephraim H. Parker; died December 5, 1882, aged 79 years and 1 month.

Judith P. died unmarried, April 18, 1855, aged 47 years, 3 months and 5 days.

Roxie married Harlow Richards; children, Amanda (Mrs. Wallace Johnson), William, Julia (Mrs. Lewis Edwards).

William O. died unmarried on the homestead, October 24, 1861, aged 55 years, 8 mos. and 28 days.

Sally married Lucius Eastman; children, Sarah (1st Mrs. Irvin Richards, 2nd Mrs. F. A. Bradley) and Joseph; died January 3, 1881, aged 65 years, 9 mos. and 23 days.

James L. married Catherine Randolph; children, Florence R. (1st Mrs. Victor Lent, 2nd Mrs. Kuhnley), and Lydia J. (Mrs. Alvin Vanduzer), died February 11, 1890, aged 71 years, 4 months and 7 days.

Olive Amanda died December 3, 1837, aged 15 years.

Isaac Parker, a cousin of Samuel, came to Rome a number of years after his son, Ephraim, had settled there. He married first Elizabeth Holbrook by whom he had Ephraim H., Isaac, James, Catherine, Esther and Betsy. By a second wife he had 12 children, none of whom settled in Rome. He died at Bumpville, February 1, 1853, aged 84 years, 1 mos. and 27 days. Of his children:

Ephraim H. when yet a young man in his teens came from the Hudson with an axe upon his back and took up 25 acres, purchased at $3 per acre at Bumpville. He put up a log cabin, made improvements

(Page 57)

and additional purchases from time to time until he owned 300 acres--fully 100 of which he cleared with his own hands. He was not only an industrious and good citizen, but a liberal contributor to the church. He donated the land for the Bumpville church and contributed money for its erection. He married Julia Ann, daughter of Samuel Parker. Their children who married as follows were: Isaac S. to Hannah Randolph; Sanford E. 1st to Betsy Jane _____, 2nd to Hannah Jane Hayward; Sarah E. to Nehemiah N. Merrill; Mary J. died in early childhood. Mr. Parker died July 21, 1872, aged 71 years and 10 months.

Isaac came to Rome and remained a few years. After the death of his wife, Margery in 1863 he returned to the Hudson.

Catherine married Cornelius Smith and settled in Sheshequin township; children, Esther Jane (Mrs. James Sibley), Louisa (Mrs. Stephen McKinney), Caroline (Mrs. Daniel M. Bidlack), Hannah (Mrs. Milo Merrill), James and Mary (Mrs. Wm. Vann). She died January 6, 1867, aged 60 years, 10 mos. and 21 days.

Esther married John Wolf and came to Rome; children, Hannah (Mrs. Erastus Wagner), Catherine (Mrs. ___ Wagner), Peter, Jane (Mrs. Marcus VanCise), Ephraim and William. She died September 16, 1865, aged 77 years.

James married and lived on the Hudson; children, Ephraim and Ann (Mrs. Colvin).

Betsy died unmarried in the East; never came to Rome.

Achatias Vought who married Jane Oakley, a German girl, followed his brother, Godfrey (I-298) to Rome township in 1805. He settled in the wilderness on Park's creek about two miles north of Rome village. He was a man of industry and performed his part faithfully and with the true courage of a pioneer. He died May 19, 1845, aged 72 years, and his wife August 15, 1865, aged 93 years. Their eight children were:

Joseph married Hannah Ditrich and lived in Rome; died September 1, 1870, aged 77 years. His wife died November 3, 1863, aged 61 years, 5 mos. and 13 days.

Peter, born October 22, 1799, married 1st Lydia Ditrich (sister of Mrs. Joseph Vought), 2nd Betsy Morris; died June 9, 1884 in Rome.

Thomas married 1st Lucy Gardner, 2nd Mary Allen; lived and died in Rome.

Isaac married Sally Russell; d. in Rome, March 7, 1838, aged 33 yrs., 4 mos., 21 days.

Nehemiah married Beckie Morris and died on the homestead.

Anna married 1st James Holly of Standing Stone, 2nd Shepard Patrick of Wysox.

(Page 58)

Phoebe married Asa Stevens of Standing Stone.

Esther married Abraham Towner of Rome.

William Elliott--The family from which William Elliott descended came from the north of Ireland during the early colonial period and settled at Albany, N.Y. Upon the breaking out of the Revolution, William and others of the family joined the patriot cause and served in the ranks. In May, 1777, he enlisted in the company of Hendrick Pulver under Col. Henry Livingston and served seven months, during which time he participated in the battle of Saratoga. After the war he and his brother, John, living near the Connecticut line, heard much of the Susquehanna country in its praise. Accordingly in the spring of 1803 John and William's eldest son, Joseph, came on to explore the country. In due time, they arrived at Wysox, where John rented a farm and both remained until late in the fall. "They then returned East where preparations for the removal of their families to the new country were at once commenced. Three spans of horses and as many sleighs were loaded with household goods, supplies and the two families, numbering in all 20 persons, young and old, among them an aged grandmother. They crossed the Hudson at Catskill on the ice as well as many other streams in their way and drove down on the ice from Old Sheshequin to the cabin of William Means at Towanda, where they were furnished entertainment for the night." William rented Mr. Means' farm in Wysox, where he remained till 1805, then removed to Rome township, settling on Bullard Creek on the farm now of Preceptor Forbes. Here he lived the life of a pioneer and died March 31, 1847, aged 94 years, 7 mos. and 17 days (he was born August 14, 1752). In his last years he was given a pension by the government. He was buried on the farm where he settled. He was thrice married and the father of twelve children. He married 1st Lucretia Lowery, a Scotch girl by whom he had children, Joseph, John, Gitty, James, Thomas, Catharine, Larman H., Daniel, Samuel and Lucretia; married 2nd Maria Scutt and had children, Betsy and Hiram; married 3rd Mrs. Hepzibah (Wright) Mastin. It is related that "Joseph Elliott, father of William, came with his family to Livingston Manor, N.Y., with the Livingstons, where he was employed in the foundries. When the war broke out, Joseph was made captain and William for a time continued to work in the foundry, making guns but later entered the service as a private."

Maj. Joseph married 1st Barbara Lent, 2nd Eliza Johnson.

Thomas married Olive, daughter of John Fox and was for many years a prominent merchant in Towanda, where he died.

Samuel married Sarah C., daughter of Lawrence Rose.

John, Hiram and Daniel died on the homestead unmarried.

Larmon H., celebrated as one of the old-time pedagogues, married Polly Wright of Sheshequin; died in Tioga county, Pa.

James was famous as a "deacon" in the Baptist church for half a century, married Catherine, daughter of John Lent; died in Towanda, Dec. 17, 1883, aged 95 years, 2 mos. and 7 days.

Betsy married Samuel Bardwell.

Lucretia married Fred Morley.

(Page 59)

Gitty married Abraham Lent.

Catharine married Silas Gore; died February 18, 1879, aged 86 years and 18 days.

Williams--Robert Williams, who had married Elizabeth Stratton, came from England, 1638 and settled at Roxbury, Mass. He married 2nd Margaret, widow of John Fearing, married 3rd Martha Strong. Isaac, son of Robert and Elizabeth (Stratton) Williams, born September 1, 1638 at Roxbury, Mass., married 1st Martha Peck, 2nd Judith Cooper, died February 11, 1707. John, son of Isaac and Martha (Peck) Williams, born August 3, 1667 in Mass. married Martha Wheeler, died November 15, 1702 at Stonington, Conn. Benajah, son of John and Martha (Wheeler) Williams, was born August 28, 1700 at Stonington, Conn. Caleb, son of Benajah, born, 1730, was a private in Capt. John Russell's company in sea coast defense, September 30, 1776 to November 22, 1776, stationed at Martha's Vineyard.

Caleb Williams, son of Caleb, born April 12, 1767, enlisted from Glastonbury, Conn., May, 1781 in Captain Bissell Phillips' company and served seven months; re-enlisted April, 1782 in Capt. Chapman's company, serving eight months; married 1st Nabby (Abigail) Andrus; married 2nd Eunice (Benson) Hathaway. Mr. Williams removed from the East, settling in the wilderness at Troy in or before 1802. He was both a blacksmith and farmer, a sturdy and useful man in the community. He died December 20, 1854 and is buried in Glenwood cemetery, Troy. Caleb and Abigail Williams had six children as follows:

Ansel, married Betsey, daughter of Aaron Case; lived in Troy; had daughter, Julia Anne (Mrs. Edwin C. Williams).

Chester, born August 16, 1791 in New Hampshire, married Polly Brown of Caldeen, Mass. and had nine children. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.

Sally married Abraham, son of Aaron Case.

Johnson married Mary Anne, daughter of John Dobbins (I-211).

Warren married Betsey, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Mosher) Porter.

Laura married Stephen Dewall or Devolt.

Elisha Rich, a Revolutionary war soldier from Vermont, settled near Troy village about 1804. "Early in 1808, Elder Elisha Rich and son, Elisha with others from Vermont and several who had been long sighing for religious company, met for worship and consultation, desiring that a church might be constituted. The visit of missionary Hartwell was improved and on Wednesday, November 16, 1808 a church (Baptist)

(Page 60)

was recognized, containing as many members as the world had people at the close of the deluge. The eight were Elisha Rich, Sr., Elisha Rich, Jr., Russell Rose, Moses Calkins, James Mattison, Phoebe Rich, Peggy Rich and Lydia Rich." Mr. Rich was enthusiastic in the work and preached to the people round about. He was known as Elder Rich. His wife was Peggy, sister of Churchill Barnes. He died March 16, 1812, aged 71 years, his being the first grave in Glenwood cemetery. The junior Elisha Rich was also a Baptist preacher. He died October 11, 1845., aged 65 years, 10 months and one day.

John Wilber, an ardent patriot of the Revolution, was born October 18, 1760 in Washington county, Rhode Island. He married Abigail Johnson of the same state and had three sons and three daughters. His son, Reuben, having settled in Troy, Bradford county about 1809 he joined him and pursued the usual duties of a pioneer. In his old age he was given a pension for his faithful services in the struggle for Independence. He died November 9, 1846, aged 86 years and is buried in Glenwood cemetery, Troy. The children of John and Abigail Wilber were:

Samuel, born November 4, 1780

Sally, born August 2, 1790, married Eber Leonard of Springfield.

John, born July 27, 1797

Abigail, born May 5, 1801, married Jacob Kenyon of Troy.

Betsy, born August 10, 1805

Reuben was born May 21, 1785 at Charleston, R.I.

He received an excellent education for the times, and gave early promises of those abilities and morals which were so highly recognized and rewarded in after years. In 1807 he came to what is now Troy township and purchased 300 acres of land under Connecticut title. Unfortunately, his title proving worthless, he was compelled to repurchase at $4 per acre. At the outbreak of the War of 1812, his patriotism induced him to enter the American army, wherein he did gallant service and was rewarded with the position of paymaster and first lieutenant. At the close of the war, he returned to the quiet life of farming. In 1824 he was elected sheriff of Bradford county and in 1830 state senator for the district comprising the counties of Bradford, Susquehanna and Tioga, serving a term of four years. As a lawmaker, he was cautious, prudent and honest, and favored all legislation which tended to develop the resources of the state and advance the general welfare of its citizens. In March, 1845 he was commissioned an associate judge of the county by Governor Shunk, a position he filled till December, 1849. He was a presidential elector on the Democratic ticket in 1856 and cast the vote of the district for Buchanan and Breckenridge. He filled the office of state inspector of prisons by appointment of Governor Wolf and was also a member of the state board of equalization, discharging the duties of that office with such impartiality and justness

(Page 61)

(Illustration of Hon. Reuben Wilber)

as to give general satisfaction to the people. "The most salient feature of his character was his indomitable energy and he never failed in anything he undertook." Judge Wilber married Sally, daughter of John Dobbins. Their children were Jane (Mrs. Alfred Parsons), Polly (Mrs. Thos. B. Baldwin), Lydia, Stephen F., Mary (Mrs. Nelson Adams) and Sarah (Mrs. Albion Budd). Judge Wilber died November 4, 1881 at his home in Troy in his 97th year.

Lemuel Gaylord, who came to the Tioga district in or before 1795, located near the state line in Wells township, 1800. He was a son of Lieut. Aaron Gaylord who was killed at the battle of Wyoming. He married Sylvia, daughter of Noah Murray (I-188). His sister Phebe married Levi Frisbie (pg. 9). He was a pioneer of considerable importance. "His wife, Sylvia, taught the children of her neighborhood gratis at her own house--this being the first school

(Page 62)

in the town." Mr. Gaylord sold part of his land, 1813 to Aaron Gaylord and the balance, 1814 to Solomon L. Smith.

Solomon Judson, a soldier of the Revolution, and his son, Ithamar, with their families in 1803 removed from Greenville, N.Y. to Wells township, then a great wilderness. They were determined and successful pioneers. Solomon Judson and his wife, Naomi, were the parents of 11 children--Ithamar, Altha, Betsy, Abigail, Irene, Sally, William, Samuel, Isaac, Mary and Jane. Mrs. Judson died, 1824, and the patriot father, December 12, 1836, aged 86 years.

Ithamar sold to Humphrey Mosier and removed to Ohio.

Isaac and Samuel also removed to Ohio. The late Capt. Albert Judson of Wells was a son of Samuel.

William settled in Illinois.

Altha married Josiah Hotchkiss of Steuben county, N.Y.

Sally married William Seeley of Wells.

Mary married Joseph Capron of Wells.

Jane married James A. Osgood of Wells.

Mary married a Mr. Calhoun.

Abigail married a Mr. Warren.

Irene married a Mr. Root.

John Osgood came with his family from Tully, N.Y. to Wells township, 1804. Here he lived and struggled as an earnest pioneer until his death, 1844 in his 83rd year. His children were John, Sarah, William, Elizabeth, Levi, Mary, Thomas, Caroline, Shubael, Merrill and Esther. William was a soldier in the War of 1812.

Samuel Edsall emigrated, 1805 from Sussex county, N.J. to Wells, settling in the southern part of the town. He cleared and improved a large farm and was a prominent and useful citizen in the community. Many other families soon followed him from Sussex county to Wells. Mr. Edsall died, 1845, his wife, Sarah, surviving. Their children were Parmelia (Mrs. Benj. Seely), Jesse, Barton, Richard, Seely, Charles, Hila (Mrs. Nathan Alvord, Jr.), Elmira (Mrs. Solomon Bovier), James M. and Andrew J.

Jesse and Richard were soldiers in the War of 1812.

Jesse was a prosperous and enterprising farmer, living across the line in Columbia.

He died, 1861, survived by his wife, Clarissa, and children, Jonas, Austin, Sally (Mrs. Gustin), Emily (Mrs. Dalrymple), Hilah (Mrs. Havens) and Amanda (Mrs. Dunning).

Shubael Rowlee, who had served in the Revolutionary war, removed with his family from New Jersey to Wells, 1807. Here he continued

(Page 63)

to reside until his death, July 1, 1839. Besides his wife, Elizabeth, he left children--Shubael, James W., Peter, George, Jonathan, Ananias, Elizabeth (Mrs. McLane) and Patty (Mrs. Kelly).

Shubael, Jr., soldier in the War of 1812, served 22 years as a justice of the peace.