|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
Ridgway--David Ridgway, who was a member of the Society of Friends, an extensive land owner and a man of prominence and influence in Burlington county, N.J., married Jane Burr. He had a large family, removed to Philadelphia in 1791 and soon after was accidentally killed. Three of his sons, Burr, Robert and David, came to Bradford county.
Burr Ridgway, son of David and Jane (Burr) Ridgway, was born April 17, 1780 at Springfield, N.J. In 1803 he came to Wysox to take charge of Judge Hollenbeck's store and house of entertainment. The following year he was appointed postmaster for Wysox, which was the only post-office between Wyalusing and Sheshequin. He purchased what is known as the Piollet farm but sold it in 1808 and purchased on Wysox creek in Rome township, where in company with his brother, David, built a saw and grist mill, which they subsequently sold to Sylvester Barns. In 1812 he removed to Towanda, clerked for Wm. Means, built and occupied a house where the Patton block now stands. He was elected county commissioner in 1813 and had also been appointed a justice of the peace and deputy prothonotary for the county. In 1814 he was proprietor by purchase of the Bradford Gazette, the pioneer newspaper of Bradford county. At this time there was not a mail route on the west side of the river in the county and only one on the east side--from Wilkes-Barre to Athens--once a week and back again. When Mr. Ridgway began publishing the Gazette there had been no improvement in mail facilities, but the people were very obliging and one seemed to vie with another in distributing the papers. Petitions were forwarded to the Postmaster General to have a certain mail route established, whereupon he issued proposals for two routes, which were to pass through several of the townships of the county for two years and the mail to be carried on horseback. Mr. Ridgway became the contractor upon both lines. He continued the publication of the Gazette for over three years when he sold to Lemuel Streator and Edwin Benjamin. In 1821 he was appointed prothonotary and clerk of the orphans' court, serving three years when he moved upon a farm he had purchased in Monroe township. After being here long enough to get his children "started" he returned to Towanda, continued to act as a justice of the peace and for a short time engaged in the mercantile
business. In 1846 he removed to Franklin township and for many years was town clerk and justice of the peace. It is thus seen that there were few men in the county who filled so many offices of honor and trust as he, and that his capacity and integrity were appreciated by his fellow citizens. He was an active Mason and member of Union Lodge 62 years. In 1838 he united with the Methodist church and was a faithful member until his death, August 19, 1876 in his 97th year. Mr. Ridgway married, October 10, 1804, Mrs. Alice Moger, widow of Nathaniel Moger and daughter of Moses Coolbaugh (I-164). She was born February 7, 1780; died June 8, 1858.
Their children were:
Hannah M., born July 22, 1805, married George Tracy; was killed February 9, 1893 by the cars near her home in Monroeton.
David, born November 1, 1806, married Wealthy M. Salisbury and occupied the homestead in Monroe, where he died September 2, 1864.
James C., born August 28, 1808, married Samantha Fowler and died upon his farm in Franklin, September 21, 1878.
Lydia A., born July 6, 1810, married Thomas T. Smiley and died at Monroeton.
Mary E., born July 26, 1814, married Joseph Johnson of Monroe, died February 15, 1857.
Nancy J., born April 25, 1816, married Freeman Sweet of Monroe, died July 6, 1875.
Robert Ridgway, born, 1777 at Springfield, N.J. followed his brother, Burr, to Wysox.
He purchased what is known as the Bishop place. On the stream flowing through it he built a saw mill and also put up a tannery, afterwards known as Bishop's tannery. He died September 9, 1817 at the age of 40. After coming to Wysox he married Eleanor, daughter of Capt. Ralph Martin. She died May 30, 1846, aged 56 years, 2 mos. and 9 days.
Their children were:
Martin R. married Martha Sickler, died in Wysox, September 12, 1837, aged 30 years,
1 month and 16 days.
Joseph B., b. June 16, 1809, married Celinda Miner Hinman, d. Feby. 6, 1895 in Wysox.
Debir, born Jany. 10, 1812, married Olive A., daughter of Benj. Ball, d. October 14, 1877 in Wysox.
Sarah Ann married a Mr. Bruce, removed south where she died.
Achsah married George Granger, removed West and died in Colorado.
David Ridgway, born 1770 at Springfield, N.J., also came to Wysox after his brother, Burr. In 1808 they purchased a property on Wysox creek and built a saw and grist mill. The original grist mill
contained two run of stone and stood about 20 rods farther up the creek than the present mill. Sylvester Barns purchased the property in 1819, improved it and finally rebuilt the grist mill with a larger capacity. David also owned a property on Bullard creek--the first after leaving the main Rome road. Here he put up a shop and manufactured furniture. Power was had to run his factory from a small creek, coming from a swamp above. Later, Mr. Ridgway built a shop on the main creek from which he derived his power. In May 1815, he advertised his product in the Bradford Gazette as follows:
"FANCY WINDSOR CHAIRS, also common chairs, great and small, spinning wheels, bureaus, tables, etc., of the best materials and workmanship. Manufactured at the shop of David Ridgway." Some of the furniture manufactured by Mr. Ridgway is still in use.
Mr. Ridgway, who was a Quaker by birth, clung to many of the habits of that sect.
He was well-educated for the times and is remembered as a remarkably athletic man.
He was the pioneer dentist of Rome and pulled troublesome teeth for the afflicted.
His wife, Rachel, was always clad in Quaker garb and adhered to the habits of her sect. Mr. Ridgway died about 1847 and his wife not far from the same time.
They had three children as follows:
Elizabeth, born December 16, 1791, married Peter Allen, died October 16, 1882 in Rome.
Jane M. married Hiram Woodburn and died October 19, 1890 in Rome, aged 81 years and 29 days.
Edwin A. married Harriet, daughter of Nathan Maynard; occupied
the homestead some years and then sold out and went West where he died.
Reuben Rowley enlisted March, 1777, state of Vermont, in Capt. Thomas Lee's company in the regiment commanded by Col. Seth Warner, serving until March, 1778 when he was discharged at Danby, Vt. He was also a sergeant in the detachment of Capt. Eben Allen, 1778 and in the company of Capt. Stephen Calkins, 1780. As a young man he acquired knowledge of medicine and practiced that profession. In or before the year 1802 he removed with his family from Vermont, settling in Troy township on the farm of the late W. Alonzo Thomas. Here he made improvements and practiced his profession until age forbade. He died, 1834, aged 84 years. He had married Susannah Campbell; she died, 1840. Their children were Reuben, Susannah (Mrs. Jacob Thomas), Betsy (Mrs. Jesse Orvis), Seth and Samuel.
Elisha Luther came from Vermont with Noah Wilson to Alba in 1803. He settled on Connecticut lands which he had purchased of Mr.
Wilson. About 1812 he removed to Ohio thence to St. Joseph county, Indiana where he died. During the residence of the family at Alba, Patty Luther, aged 2 years and her mother, Cynthia Luther, in 1804, died; these were the first graves in the Alba cemetery. March 8, 1807, Elisha Luther and Eve Ryngor were married by Justice Samuel Gore at Ulster. Polly, daughter of Elisha Luther, married, 1807, David Soper of Burlington.
Enoch, son of Elisha, came to the county with his parents and
removed with them to the West but returned about 1816. He settled at Luther's
Mills and engaged in clearing land and milling. He was a soldier, War of
1812. His death occurred at the age of 63. He married Polly, daughter of
Amos Bennett of North Towanda and had children, Roswell, Enos B., David
S., Myron, Hiram, Laura (Mrs. Elijah Granger), Amanda (Mrs. Benj. M. Clark),
Elliott, Samantha (Mrs. Erastus L. Price), Mary (Mrs. David Strope), Ransom
W., Angeline (Mrs. Stephen M. Clark), Adelaide (Mrs. L. F. Langford) and
James Sellard was a son of Jacob, who came to this country about 1750. He was born, 1758 at Norwich, Conn. and served in different commands, Connecticut troops, during the Revolutionary war. He married Lydia DeWolf of Norwich. Their son, Stephen, having settled in Canton, Bradford county, they came also about 1812. Here they continued to reside until their death, the former Sept. 5, 1824 and his wife,
October, 1832, aged 76 years. Both are buried in the old cemetery, Canton village.
Stephen D. Sellard, born 1781 at Norwich, came from Connecticut with his family, 1804, stopping for a short time at the Block-house, then locating permanently in Canton. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He died May, 1852 on the homestead which remains in the family. Mr. Sellard married Polly Spencer (b. 1782, d. 1869). Their children were:
Calvin S., born Feby. 28, 1803, married Jan. 10, 1828, Rosina, daughter of Augustus and Liberty (Gillett) Loomis; died 1886. He was appointed captain of militia and was popularly known as Captain Sellard.
Enoch married Clarissa King.
Oliver married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Polly (Cowell) Watts.
Maria married Seth Porter.
James married Judith, daughter of John and Abigail (Tiff) Simpkins.
Lydia married John Turner.
Lucy married Horace Jones.
Ichabod, born March 24, 1821, married Harriet A., daughter of
John King of Tioga county, died Oct. 21, 1877.
Thomas Bull followed his brother, John, from Orange county, N.Y. to Wysox, 1804. He settled on the farm now of Abel Lent, having purchased the improvements begun by his brother. He lived here a few years then sold his interest and removed to Macedonia.
At the latter place he sold his farm to Joseph Sill and removed to Luzerne
county where he died. His wife, Hannah Potter, by whom he had at least
one daughter (Phoebe), died Feby. 18, 1819, aged 37 years and is buried
in the Wysox cemetery. For his second wife he married Perthena Manville.
Wilber Bennett assisted his country in the struggle for Independence in the closing part of the war. About 1804, he and his brother, Robert, exchanged land which they owned at Wilkes-Barre for a tract of land known as "Plum Vale," extending from Myersburg to Gillett's bridge. They moved to their new acquisition and began improvements. Robert finally sold his interest and went West. Wilber remained and cleared a large farm. He was much esteemed by his neighbors for his good sense, and for several years filled the office of justice of the peace. He married Margaret Wickizer; died upon the homestead, April 7, 1841, aged 75 years; his wife died February 26, 1847, aged 70 years. Their children were:
Asa married Amy, daughter of Naphtali Woodburn.
Benjamin lived and died a bachelor.
Sarah married Samuel Reynolds.
George Scott, born November 17, 1784 in Berkshire county, Mass., having attained his majority, in company with an older brother, David, started for the "Sunny South" to begin life in earnest and make his fortune. The young men were both well-educated for those days and had decided to engage in school teaching, when an opportunity presented itself, until something more congenial and paying should be found. Accordingly, some time in 1805 they set out with a single horse and drifted into Wysox, Bradford county. They made their business known whereupon the citizens called a meeting at the house of Burr Ridgway and George was hired to teach the school of the district. David found employment west of the river and taught school in the Means neighborhood. He also clerked for Wm. Means, read law in the mean-time and finally went to Wilkes-Barre where he was admitted to the bar. He became a man of note--was a prothonotary, elected to congress
and for several years president judge of the Luzerne district. George continued teaching in Wysox and having been appointed a justice of the peace, purchased a lot next beyond the Brick Church and built a house thereon. Finally Miss Lydia, daughter of Henry Strope, "possessed the necessary charms" and he became a permanent resident of the county. Upon the organization of the county, 1812, he was appointed an associate judge and held that office until 1818. He was county commissioners' clerk from 1815 to 1820 and was appointed prothonotary, 1818 and clerk of the orphans' court, 1824, which offices he held till 1830. In 1816 he was appointed a commissioner to superintend the distribution of funds appropriated for the building of the State road, "extending eastward and westward through the county" and passing through Towanda. In the autumn of 1819 Mr. Scott moved to Towanda with his family. He edited and published The Settler from 1821 to '23. He was county treasurer in 1823 and for many years was prominent in the politics of the county, being a Democratic-Republican. He was a man of excellent judgment, unquestioned integrity and a patriotic and influential citizen. His death occurred March 2, 1834. Mrs. Scott, born February 29, 1788, died February 25, 1881, aged 93 years. Mr. and Mrs. Scott reared a large and prominent family:
Rowena, b. April 23, 1807, married Burton Kingsbury of Towanda, died June 24, 1893.
David L., born Sept. 1, 1809, was a physician and practiced at Towanda; he entered the service of the Union and died Aug. 8, 1865 at Albany, N.Y. He married 1st Julia H. Kinney, the Sheshequin poetess, 2nd Elizabeth Whitney of Wysox.
Lawrence died Sept. 26, 1826 in his 15th year.
George located in Columbia county, was several terms in the State legislature, was canal commissioner and prominent in business affairs.
Wilson, born March 7, 1816, entered the legal profession as an associate of David Wilmot; died suddenly June 15, 1843.
Luther, born Oct. 6, 1818, married Oct. 8, 1839, Marietta L. Brown; spent most of his life in Towanda and was a tipstaff in the courts of the county 60 years; died January 28, 1904.
William, born Dec. 19, 1820, married May 19, 1846, Anna Spalding; read law and was admitted to the bar but followed other business pursuits in Towanda; died Feby. 11, 1911.
Walter followed contracting a number of years; located in Baltimore, where he died.
H. Lawrence, born June 11, 1824, engaged in farming and business enterprises. He served as Register and Recorder, 1851-'54 and Collector
of U.S. Internal Revenues, 1862-'69. He married 1st Lydia Helen Stevens, 2nd Catharine (Hart) Warford; died Sept. 11, 1891.
Lydia Ellen married Gen. H. J. Madill; died March 23, 1898 in Towanda, aged 72 years.
Clinton practiced dentistry and became a man of prominence in Eureka, Cal., where he died.
Pierce Family--Timothy Pierce of Plainfield, Conn., was a descendant in the fifth generation from Thomas Pierce, the emigrant ancestor who came from England with his wife, Elizabeth, 1633-'34 and settled at Charleston, Mass. Josiah, son of Timothy, married Lydia Shepard. They had children, Job, Azel, Polly, Josiah, Shepard, Lydia, Chester, Dolly and Augustus. Of these; Shepard, Augustus and Dolly came to Wysox.
Shepard Pierce, born April 29, 1780, when a lad removed with his parents to what is now Waverly, N.Y., settling near his uncle, John Shepard. Here his father, it is said, opened the first public inn in that section of country. He later removed to the Genesee Valley and died at Caledonia, N.Y. Shepard came to Wysox in 1806 and purchased the property still known as the "Shepard place," which he improved and occupied until the time of his death, March 7, 1866. He was greatly attached to the beautiful valley of Wysox and was an honored and respected citizen. He married, 1810, Sarah, daughter of Moses Coolbaugh (I-164). Their children were:
Eveline B., born Nov. 19, 1811, married Alonzo A. Bishop of Wysox.
Sophia L., born May 18, 1813, married Joseph Conklin, died Dec. 24, 1891.
Chester, born March 22, 1815, married 1st Harriet S. Lilley, 2nd Charlotte I. Brown.
Dolly N., born January 10, 1817, married Daniel Drummond.
Eliza, born July 21, 1818, married Joseph Johnson of Franklin.
Amanda, b. June 9, 1820, married Aug. 31, 1843, J. Mason Wattles, died Dec. 13, 1866.
William A., born May 9, 1822, married 1st Anna M. Nagle, 2nd Anna A. Newell.
Sarah J., born June 18, 1826, died unmarried, Oct. 22, 1901.
Shepard S., born March 2, 1828, married Sarah A. Lilley, died March 5, 1908 in Towanda, being the last surviving member of the family.
Mary A., born December 20, 1829; died unmarried.
Charlotte A., born September 11, 1831; died unmarried.
Hannah M., born Oct. 2, 1834, married William H. Morgan.
Augustus Pierce probably came to Wysox about the same time as his brother. He opened a store and under date of March 25, 1814 advertised merchandise "for sale" in the Bradford Gazette as follows: "A quantity of factory cloth shirting, 40 cents per yard; also gingham at 50 cents per yard; silk twist and hair combs of all descriptions may be had by calling at the house of Shepard Pierce in Wysox--Augustus Pierce." He married Lois, daughter of Ephraim Ladd (p. 12), removed West and died in California.
Dolly Pierce resided with her brother, Shepard, in Wysox
where she died June 18, 1842, unmarried, aged 54 years.
Harry Morgan, son of James and Sarah (Dodge) Morgan, was born February 22, 1790 at Wilkes-Barre, Pa. When in his seventh year, he was left an orphan; but a home was kindly provided by his aunt, Mrs. Mary Gilbert of Asylum and John Horton, Sr. of Terrytown. He was given a good education and early entered the employ of Judge Matthias Hollenback. After learning the Indian trade he was placed in charge of Judge Hollenback's store in Wysox. In the course of time he purchased several pieces of real estate and became a permanent resident of the town. He took an active interest in public affairs and being a man of fine sense, honorable and thoroughly equipped for public duties was soon called by his fellow citizens to honorable and responsible stations. In 1820 he was elected county auditor and in 1827 again chosen to the same office. He was elected county commissioner for a term of three years, 1835. In 1814 he was commissioned a justice of the peace, an office he continued to occupy by appointment and election for a period of 40 years. "Always compromising differences he was a well-known peacemaker." February 10, 1845 he was commissioned an associate judge of Bradford county and performed the duties of that office for five years with ability and entire satisfaction to the public. Judge Morgan was a careful, methodical business man, a worthful citizen, a consistent Christian and supporter of the church. He was not only esteemed by his neighbors but was beloved by his Masonic brethren, among whom he held a high place. He married Harriet, daughter of Elihu Bishop; died March 21, 1872 in Wysox. His wife, born Oct. 12, 1794, died April 4, 1868. Their children were:
Edwin Wright became a man of national celebrity. He was educated at West Point from which institution he graduated with high honors. He served as a Lieutenant in the Seminole war and was an important factor in the councils which settled the trouble with the Florida Indians.
After serving in the Mexican war, ranking as Major, he resigned from the U.S. service and established the Kentucky Military Institute between Frankfort and Lexington. The school was very popular and a great success, but was broken up by the coming of the Civil War, his cadets all joining the opposing armies. He was urged and offered the rank of general by two of his old commanders, Gen. Winfield Scott and Gen. Robert E. Lee, if he would join the army of either. He was a thorough Unionist but his health having given way, he returned to his old home in Wysox for recuperation. Later he accepted the professorship of mathematics at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa., where he was teaching at the time of his death, April 16, 1869. Colonel Morgan, as he was known, was a man of rare attainments; he spoke many languages and could read in sixteen; he was one of the most practical and learned botanists in the country; his private library was valued at $100,000. His remains repose in the Wysox cemetery.
Amanda married Dr. John E. Ingham (I-170), lived to a very advanced age and was the last surviving member of the family.
Almeda married Rogers Fowler of Monroe; died in Chicago, Ill.
James Lyman occupied a part of the Hinman property and followed farming. He married 1st Hannah, daughter of Samuel Coolbaugh, 2nd Sally, daughter of Dr. Elisha Whitney; died July 29, 1898, aged 77 years.
Sarah Ellen died at the age of 19, unmarried.
Mary married Andrew Menardi; died May 15, 1881 in Towanda, aged 50 years.
Homan Beecher was a contractor and farmer, succeeding to the homestead. He married Mary Mowrey; died April 24, 1883, aged 54 years.
William H. was a civil engineer and dealer in real estate. He married Hannah, daughter of Shepard Pierce; died Sept. 13, 1876 in Towanda.
George H. graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and practiced medicine at Rome and Monroeton. He married Amelia, daughter of Cornelius Coolbaugh; died January 19, 1861 in Wysox, aged 25 years.
Eugene D. F. joined his brother in Kentucky, married and died in that state.
Bird, when about 19 years of age, started for Key West, hoping
to improve his health. He died on his way in one of the Southern states.
Stone--William Stone, the founder of the family in America from whom the Stones of Eastern Bradford are descendant, came from England and settled at Guilford, Connecticut, 1639. He was the ancestor of Ithiel Stone of New Milford, a zealous patriot, who served in various capacities during the Revolutionary war. Ithiel (Ethiel) married Martha, daughter of Capt. Theophilus Baldwin of New Milford by
whom he had four sons and three daughters. One of the sons, Edmund, and a daughter, Mary, wife of Abraham Taylor (I-231) came to Bradford county.
Edmund Stone, born at New Milford, Conn., married Susan Hotchkiss and removed, 1794 to New York state where he remained until 1803, then in March removed from the Butternut settlement to Pike township, settling on a possession he had purchased of Peter Stevens. The trip was made on sleighs, there being good sleighing all the way. "The change from the school, church and social privileges of New York to the privations of the wilderness was anything but pleasing, but the same endurance that characterized the pioneers before them was shown by this family, also." The children of Edmund and Susan Stone were Rathael, Marinda, Philemon, Calvin, Martin Luther, Anna, William, Edmund, Almon and Harriet. The mother having died, Mr. Stone married for his second wife Miss Fink (or Frink) and in 1809 removed to Bridgewater, Susquehanna county, where he died in 1814, aged 50 years. By his later marriage he had a son, Hiram.
His family was a prominent one, most of his children living in Bradford county.
Rathael settled at Camptown and was a worthful and influential citizen of the county.
He married Sarah, daughter of Jonas Ingham (I-169) and had the following children:
Ingham, born March 18, 1810, married Ann Eliza Smith and had four children, married 3rd Mrs. Eliza Stone; Elizabeth, born Dec. 11, 1813, married William Griffis and had two daughters, died Dec. 26, 1900; George, born Oct. 11, 1815, died unmarried; Ulysses Philemon, born March, 1818, married Oct. 4, 1848, Theresa Homet, died Aug. 24, 1902; Alexander Hamilton, born Oct. 8, 1820, married Hannah Courtright; Sarah Ingham, born January 5, 1823, married Augustus Lewis and had 7 children, died March 15, 1897; Andrew Jackson, born March 8, 1826, married Deborah L. Ingham and had 3 children; Edward, born January 21, 1828, married Emily C. Churchill and had 2 children;
Mary married Elmore Horton and had 3 children.
Marinda, born April 11, 1789, married July 9, 1809, John Ingham of Camptown and had one son and six daughters.
Philemon married Fanny Noyes of Franklin county, N.Y. and settled in New York state.
Calvin, born Nov. 30, 1796, married Betsy Haywood, located in Herrick, where he died March 27, 1869; son Allison H. (typer's note--yes, this is what Heverly wrote).
Martin Luther married, May 19, 1817, Rebecca, daughter of Jonas Ingham.
Anna, born Aug. 15, 1801, married 1st Joseph Ingham and had children, Ellicott A.
(b. Dec. 3, 1829, d. April, 1910), John Q., Mary (1st Mrs. Chubbuck, 2nd Mrs. Ash), Lois (Mrs. Ira J. Sturdevant, b. Aug. 11, 1825, d. February 28, 1913); married 2nd James Brown who was the father of Asa R. Brown; died April 1, 1883.
William married Eliza DeWolf, moved West and died in Iowa.
Edmund, Jr. lived at Camptown, died unmarried.
Almon married and lived at Merryall; his children were Alma, Winnie and Perry E.
Harriet married Jabez Elliott of Merryall; daughter, Mary (Mrs. Elisha S. Keeler).
Hiram married a Miss Terry and had a son, Eugene.
Samuel Dyer came from Connecticut to Pike township in company with Joseph Bosworth and Simeon Taylor, 1806. He cleared and improved a large and valuable farm, and was a man much respected by his neighbors. He married Huldah, daughter of Ephraim Fairchild (I-232). He died October, 1852, aged 67 years; his wife survived him 11 years. Their children were:
Harriet married Lyman White and was the last surviving member of the family.
Martha married Lyman Mattison.
William married Harriet Stevens.
Ephraim married Melinda Taylor.
Alvira married Henry Sherman.
Maria married James Baxter.
Charles married Susan Sherman.
Benjamin Hurlbut, a miller by occupation, came from Elizabeth City, N.J. to Wyalusing Creek, 1802-'3, where he was employed in the Gordon mill. In 1806 he removed to Tuscarora and took up a farm where he died about 1817. He had married a Miss Smith in New Jersey. Their children who married as follows were: Esther to Sylvenus Shumway; Catharine to Cyrus Shumway; Eliza to Mr. Brace; Charles; John; Rebecca to William Clink; Joanna to Mr. Cook.
Amos Hurlbut, a brother of Benjamin, came to Wyalusing Creek with him. He married, Jane, daughter of Samuel Gordon and had a son, Amos. In June, 1803, Mr. Hurlbut had some words with John Dalton, who struck him across the head with a sharp instrument, causing his death. Dalton was tried for his life at Wilkes-Barre and through the obstinacy of one man, was brought in guilty of murder in the second degree; he was sentenced to 18 years' confinement in the penitentiary at Philadelphia; was pardoned, 1808 and died soon after in a
hospital. This was the first capital offense within what is now Bradford
Stevens Family is of English origin. Three brothers, Simon, Cyprian and Stephen Stevens, came from England and settled at Lancaster, Mass. Cyprian had two sons, Simon and Joseph. Jonathan, the third son of Simon, settled in Plainfield. His third son, Asa was born May, 1734 and emigrated to Wyoming in 1772, where he held various offices. Upon the formation of the Wilkes-Barre Company to protect the settlers against the Indians and Tories, Mr. Stevens was made a lieutenant and was active in the service of the American cause until the battle of Wyoming. December 10, 1777 he took command of 11 men and marched up as far as Meshoppen after Tories and disaffected people. Ten days later he was one of a larger company that went to Sheshequin on the same business. In the Wyoming battle, July 3, 1778, he was numbered with the slain. The family with other fugitives fled to Connecticut where they remained until the close of the war when they returned to Wyoming.
Jonathan Stevens, the second son of Asa, was born July 16, 1764 at Canterbury, Conn. On April 23, 1781, he enlisted at Brooklyn, Windham county, Conn., as a private in Capt. Samuel Williams' company, Col. Samuel B. Webb's 3rd Connecticut regiment and served until June 3, 1783 when he was transferred to the Connecticut line and discharged December 31, 1783. On October 20, 1785, he was united in marriage with Miss Eleanor Adams of Brooklyn. He seems to have moved about considerably, the unsettled state of the country making all kinds of business very uncertain. In 1794, he removed from Wilkes-Barre to Braintrim, Wyoming county. Here, he remained working a small farm and plying his trade of tailor until 1805 when he moved to Wyalusing, where he engaged in keeping a store and house of public entertainment. He removed to Standing Stone, 1812 where he spent the balance of his days. He was a man of superior abilities and fitted for important duties. In 1793 he was appointed a deputy surveyor for Luzerne county and in 1800 commissioned a justice of the peace. He was elected to the State Legislature, 1811, and May 11, 1812, commissioned a deputy surveyor for the counties of Luzerne, Bradford and Susquehanna. The office at this time when the title to the greater part of the land in these counties was in the Commonwealth, was a very important and responsible one. In this capacity as surveyor of the state and for private parties, he surveyed the greater part of Bradford, Wyoming and parts of Susquehanna and Luzerne. On May 22, 1818, he was
appointed an associate judge of Bradford county and held that office 23 years. Judge Stevens possessed a very accurate and retentive memory. He was noted for his splendid judgment and strict integrity. Politically, he was a Democrat and most of the Stevenses have been steadfast in the faith of their distinguished ancestor. His death occurred June 13, 1850; his wife, born February 1, 1764, died October 11, 1834; both rest in the Stevens cemetery, Standing Stone. Their children were:
Albegence, born June 16, 1786 at Salisbury, Conn., came with his father to Standing Stone where he resided many years then removed to McHenry county, Ill., and died there in 1840. He married 1st Lavina Lake of Wyalusing by whom he had a daughter, Angeline, who was reared in the family of her grandfather Stevens and never married. His second wife was Thankful, daughter of Samuel D. Goff, whose children were Lavina (Mrs. Sebrian Baldwin), Aristides and Edwin. After the death of his 2nd wife, Mr. Stevens married Laura Goff, sister of his former wife. They had Elizabeth (Mrs. Edward Kingsley) and two or three other children.
Asa, born Sept. 24, 1790 in Wilkes-Barre, settled in Standing Stone where he followed farming and continued to reside till the time of his death, February 20, 1879. He married, 1814, Phoebe, daughter of Achatias and Jane (Oakley) Vought of Rome. She was born July 1, 1795 at Peekskill, N.Y., died March 23, 1876. Their children were:
Achatias, born January 10, 1822, married Sarah, daughter of Jabez and Lucy (Thurston) Sumner, died March 31, 1903 in Standing Stone; Jonathan J., born April 24, 1824, married Elizabeth Roof of Standing Stone, died Dec. 3, 1901; Joel, born Feby. 7, 1828, married Sarah, daughter of George and Rebecca (Terry) Gordon, died Feby. 21, 1901 in Asylum; Byron married Eliza Vannest of Standing Stone; Nelson married Ann S. Stephens of Bridgewater, Susquehanna county; Eleanor married Alexander Ennis of Standing Stone; Anna married William Kingsley of Standing Stone; Lydia married
James B. Bush of Standing Stone.
Seth, born Oct. 7, 1792 in Wilkes-Barre, remained in Standing Stone until 1824, when he removed to Albany township, settling at Laddsburg. Here he continued to reside for half a century, then went to Missouri where he died Nov. 12, 1876. He married Polly, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Lindsley) Lee of Albany. Their children who married as follows were: Emma 1st to Jacob Place, 2nd to John Irvine; Solon to Charlotte Smith; Seth to Jane Earl; Ralph to Lucinda Burdick; Polly to Peter McKernan; Rebecca died unmarried, 1885; Olive
to Adam Young; David died unmarried, 1867; Edward, Eleanor, Ellen and John all died in early childhood.
Simon, born April 22, 1797 in Black Walnut, spent his life in Standing Stone. He married Harriet, daughter of Charles and Marie Theresa (Schillinger) Homet (I-264). She died October 8, 1847, aged 46 years, 7 months and 6 days; married 2nd Mary _____. He died November 16, 1880; children all by former marriage were: Charles married Martha, daughter of Madison Decker of Asylum; George, for many years a prominent merchant in Towanda, married Mary Ayer; Ellen married Wm. R. Storrs of Asylum; Harriet married (1st wife) M. J. Long of Towanda; Mary married (3rd wife) M. J. Long.
Lucy, born August 20, 1799, married Charles F. Homet of Wyalusing and had children, Francis, Theresa (Mrs. U. Philemon Stone), Jonathan, Edward, Milton, Charles S., Volney, Seth and Joseph A.
Jonathan, born July 6, 1801, married June 24, 1824, Sally, daughter of William and Hannah Coolbaugh of Macedonia. He spent the greater part of his life in Macedonia, where he died Dec. 23, 1879. His wife, born Jany. 6, 1806, died June 2, 1865. Their children were: Lucy, born March 30, 1825, married Robt. C. Smalley of Towanda, died May 11, 1900; Sarah, born March 2, 1826, died unmarried April 5, 1906; Hiram, born March 20, 1828, married Elizabeth Irvine, died June 14, 1884 at Liberty Corners; Sophia, born Dec. 16, 1829, married Daniel Howell of Scranton, died April 1, 1886; Henry T., born June 5, 1831, married Mary Goodman of Owego, N.Y., died Oct. 2, 1899 in Towanda; Frances Ann, born July 21, 1836, married Edwin M. Bishop, died April 25, 1908; Smith, born May 19, 1838, died unmarried Dec. 30, 1907; John M., born Sept. 9, 1841, married Urania Stalford of Wyalusing, occupied the homestead where he died Feby. 6, 1905.
Sarah, born March 26, 1803, married Richard Huyck of Standing Stone. They had one child, John, who removed West.
Eleanor, born October 12, 1808, died unmarried in Standing Stone.
Jesse and Samuel Edsell, brothers, located in Pike township
in or before 1802. Both were man of considerable importance in the early
history of the town. Samuel was a school teacher and Jesse followed farming.
Jesse by his wife Polly had three children: Jackson who became a
physician and made a European trip; Grant a school teacher; and
died in Pike unmarried.
Preserved Buffington, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, followed his brother-in-law, William Arnold (I-303) from Rhode Island to Warren twp. about 1805. He was a man of high standing in the community and reared a large family. In his old age he was given
the benefits of a pension. He died July 23, 1843 in Warren, aged 83 years. His children were Lydia (Mrs. Wm. Gray), Phoebe (Mrs. Samuel Lewis), William, Content (Mrs. Jesse Brockaway), Benjamin, Sally (Mrs. Livingston Jenks), Luther, Calvin and Cynthia (Mrs. Nathan Pendleton).
William died in 1843 leaving children, Nathan H. and Mary Ann. His widow married James Arnold.
Benjamin married 1st Experience Coburn, 2nd Rebecca Coburn, 3rd
Charlotte Gridley. He died Sept. 16, 1851, survived by his last wife and
six children: Emeline (Mrs. Giles N. DeWolf), Content (Mrs. Calvin V. Arnold),
Rufus C. (married Dec. 24, 1843 Catherine Wheaton), Charlotte R., Sarah
E. and Chester P.
Shoemaker--Benjamin Shoemaker married Elizabeth Depuy and was living in the Wyoming Valley during the severe trials of the Revolution. Two of his sons, Lieut. Elijah and Daniel, entered the American army and were brave soldiers. The former at the battle of Wyoming after having surrendered was cruelly put to death by the brutal Windecker. Daniel married Ann, daughter of John McDowell, the noted generous-hearted Scotch patriot of Stroudsburg, whose wife was Hannah, daughter of Nicholas and Wyntie (Roosa) Depuy. In 1801, he removed from Monroe county, Pa. to Nichols, N.Y., where he lived until his death. One of his sons was Benjamin.
Benjamin Shoemaker, son of Daniel and Ann (McDowell) Shoemaker,
evidently came to this section at the same time as his father. In 1813
he purchased the Brainerd grist-mill and a tract of land on the Wappusening
and moved to Windham. He also opened a public-house which was a popular
and far-famed stopping-place. He was a thrifty and enterprising pioneer.
His wife was Eunice Shaw of Cherry Creek, Northampton county. Mr. Shoemaker
died, 1825 and his affairs and hotel were afterwards successfully conducted
by his widow. She died in 1857, aged 77 years. They reared a family of
five sons, Richard S., Samuel B., Elijah 2nd, Daniel and John, and two
daughters, Anna (Mrs. Sylvenus Dunham) and Mary M. (Mrs. Hiram Lathrop).
The family was a prominent one, all the sons becoming prosperous and successful
business men and farmers.
Nathaniel Fuller, who had married Sally, daughter of Adrian Post, came from New Jersey to Sheshequin with his father-in-law's family, 1801. He enlisted in the War of 1812 and was killed in an engagement with the enemy. He left one son; the widow afterwards married David Kenyon. The son,
Richard H., born Aug. 16, 1811, was reared in the family of his
uncle, Elias Post. He married Celinda, daughter of Col. Franklin Blackman. For many years, he was a contractor and builder in masonry. He died June 7, 1880 at East Waverly, N.Y. His wife died Dec. 17, 1898 in her 83rd year. Their children were Charles R.,
Lois (Mrs. I. N. Andre), George L., Eunice E. (Mrs. Edward Rose), Harriet
E. (Mrs. Chas. Cunamon), Frank A. and Miner P.
John Elliott, brother of William (pg. 58), came from Connecticut to Wysox, 1803.
In 1814 he removed to Sheshequin and pursued his occupation of shoemaker. His wife was Elizabeth Snyder, a German woman. She died April 14, 1818 in her 47th year; he died July 4, 1857 in his 88th year. Their children were:
Joseph married Jemima, daughter of Elijah M. Horton; removed to Kansas, where he died, 1873; children, Isaac, William H., Joseph M., Urbain, Sally (Mrs. Ulysses Horton) and Jemima (Mrs. Thomas McMahon).
Hannah married Isaac S. Horton of Ghent.
Polly married William Russell of Rome.
Rachel married Daniel Hill of Sheshequin.
Lucretia married Elias Post.
John Christian Forbes was born Oct. 25, 1759 at Brunswick, Germany, where his father was a large stock raiser. When he was 16 years old he was sent by his father to deliver to the coast a drove of cattle which he had sold to the British government. Officers of the British vessel persuaded him to go aboard on the promise that the ship would land near his home and much sooner than he could travel overland. After the vessel was out of sight of land, it dawned upon the young drover that he had been tricked and was being carried to some other part of the world. When he was finally landed it was in America, being informed at the same time that he would be compelled to serve in the British army. He continued with the King's troops until a good opportunity presented itself, then deserted and espoused the American cause, giving his aid in the struggle for Independence till the close of the war. He settled on the Delaware in Delaware county, N.Y., where, July 3, 1783, he married Deborah Williams. In 1806 he removed to Sheshequin with his family and there resided until his death, April 19, 1853 aged 93 1/2 years. He is remembered as a "kindly, Christian old gentleman." His wife, born Aug. 30, 1764, died Sept. 26, 1837. Their children were:
Ernest, born April 6, 1784, married Polly Smith, died April 30, 1860 in Rome.
Hannah, born Sept. 17, 1786, married Lawrence Rose, died June 3, 1839 in Sheshequin.
Catharine, born April 23, 1789, married Isaac I. Lowe, died Sept., 1873 in Athens.
Polly, born April 21, 1791, married Benjamin Brink, died June 10, 1877 in Athens.
Eunice, born April 16, 1793, married John M. Hicks, died April 8, 1877 in Rome.
Elisha, born March 13, 1795, married 1st Lucy Newell, 2nd Sally Eastman, died September 27, 1834 in Sheshequin.
William, born Nov. 20, 1798, married Hettie Kendall, died, 1881 in Indiana.
Francis, born Oct. 10, 1801, married Sally Horton, died, 1882 in Indiana.
Archibald, born June 22, 1805, married Hester Brink, died Dec. 18, 1883 at Reniff, N.Y.
Charles, born April 13, 1810, married Julia Snyder, died May
3, 1852 in Rome.
Wattles Family--The first of the name to settle in America was John Wattles who came from Scotland to Connecticut. He had two sons, Dan and John. Dan, born, 1761 at Lebanon, Conn., married Cynthia Williams, a niece of Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island. They had children, Arunah, Caroline, John, Polly, Adoshes and Catherine.
Caroline married Capt. John Allen of Wysox; John married Miss Eliza Cash of Towanda; Adoshes married Richard Pemberton and died in Michigan. Mr. Wattles removed to Delaware county, N.Y., thence about 1804 to Wysox creek in Orwell township. He later was a resident of Wysox, and died May 4, 1839 in Tioga county, Pa., aged 78 years.
His wife died Dec. 23, 1848, aged 82 years and is buried at Wysox.
Arunah Wattles, the eldest son of Dan and Cynthia Wattles, came to Bradford county with his parents. He at first located on Pond Hill, then settled in Rome township where he engaged in farming and lumbering till the time of his death, Sept. 16, 1853 in his 59th year. He took an active interest in public affairs, was for many years a justice of the peace and served one term as county auditor and two terms as State Representative. He was a worthful citizen and gentleman, highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Jesse Allen. She died Jany. 21, 1863 in her 72nd year.
Their children were:
William A. died unmarried February 12, 1837, aged 22 years.
John M. married Amanda Pierce, lived and died in Wysox.
David M. married Louise Cranmer of Rome.
Arunah M. married Charlotte Ransom of Orwell.
Albina died unmarried April 6, 1856, aged 34.
Caroline, born Nov. 18, 1825, married Lewis T. Lent and is the last surviving member of the family.
DeWitt C. married Olive Carter and lived at Rome.
Elizabeth married Edwin Woodburn and died in Iowa.
Adaline died at 13 and two others died in childhood.
Woodburn Family--John Woodburn, a native of Ireland, when a young man, so the story goes, "went to England and engaged in business at Liverpool with an English nobleman by the name of Carr. He married Carr's daughter and soon after sailed for America, landing at Boston, 1718." Three years later he settled at Londonderry, N.H. He had a son, George, who married Mary Putnam and removed from New England with his family to Cherry Valley, N.Y. after the Revolutionary war. Of their children, John, Moses and Naphtali came to Bradford county, 1808.
John Woodburn, born April 25, 1762, settled in what is now the southern part of Rome borough. He took up lands, which he improved and occupied till the time of his death, July 6, 1823. He married Nancy Whitman (b. Sept. 30, 1775, d. Oct. 6, 1844). Their children were:
Hiram married Jane Ridgway of Rome.
John W. married Sally Maria Barns of Rome.
Allen married Mary Whitney of Wysox.
Warner W. married 1st Caroline Case, 2nd Ellen Vought of Rome.
Corydon married Helen M. Myer of Wysox.
Mary (Polly) married Alvin Whitney of Wysox.
Betsy married Ebenezer Whitney of Wysox.
Nancy married Alvin Whitney, being his second wife.
Moses Woodburn was born October 2, 1764 at Stonington, Conn. In September, 1779 he enlisted at Stonington as a private in the company of Captain Rathborn and served 8 months; June, 1780, as a private in the company of Captain Douglass, Colonel Starr's regiment, served 6 months; June, 1781, as a mariner on U. S. brig Marquis Lafayette, served 8 months; June, 1782, as a mariner on U. S. brig Randolph and served 2 months. He assisted in capturing several prizes at sea and was one of the guards that conducted Major Andre to be executed. One of Mr. Woodburn's granddaughters says: "When a child I remember hearing my grandfather tell how Major Andre knelt in
tears to General Washington and begged to be shot, and how Washington offered Andre his life if he would reveal the whole plot, but the brave, young Englishman proudly answered, 'No,' saying, 'I was born a gentleman though I die a scandalous death'; General Washington wept as did all the soldiers." In 1808 Moses in company with his two brothers came to Wysox, purchased land and with his brother, Naphtali, built a saw mill on Wysox creek. Twice the mill was burned and having labored hard he became discouraged, sold out his interest and in 1818 removed to Sheshequin, settling on the Macafee farm. Here after he had got comfortably situated he met with another misfortune. While all were away from home but his aged mother, the house caught fire and burned with all their clothing, furniture and store of provisions. After suffering many hardships, another, a double-hewed log house was erected in which Mr. Woodburn continued to reside until his death, Dec. 30, 1836. He had married before removing to Bradford county, Sena, daughter of Edward and Chloe (Pomeroy) Wright. Mr. Woodburn is remembered as "an industrious, kindly old gentleman." He was given a pension for his faithful services to his country. He is buried on the farm where he spent his closing days. Mr. and Mrs. Woodburn had children: Sally married Renselaer J. Jenks; Asenath married Theodore R. Davies of Athens; Nancy Maria married Ezra Pelton of Athens.
Naphtali Woodburn, born Dec. 30, 1768 at Stonington, Connecticut, who had kept an inn and been engaged in the mercantile business at Cherry Valley, upon coming to Wysox (1808) brought a small stock of goods which he sold to the settlers. He purchased a farm and with his brother, Moses, put up a saw-mill and for several years manufactured lumber. Here he died January 15, 1839. He married Rebecca Lewis of Petersburg, N.Y. She was born Aug. 21, 1775, died Dec. 28, 1849. Both are buried in the Woodburn cemetery, Wysox. They had 14 children as follows:
Amy married Asa Bennett of Wysox.
Moses married Esther Whitney of Wysox.
Whitman married Lydia Brainard, died rafting down the river.
Lewis married Frances Young of Albany, N.Y., resided in New York city.
William D. married and died in Charleston, S.C.
Harriet B. married Asa Eastman of Rome.
Calista married Hiram Johnson of Rome.
Justus H. married Emily Dorman, settled in Kingsville, Ohio.
Daniel P. married Sibyl Woodburn of Cherry Valley, resided at Tioga Center, N.Y.
George W. married Martha Lewis and settled at Laporte, Indiana.
Naphtali married Elizabeth Hanne, died in Iowa.
Mary Clotilda married Herman W. Browning of Rome.
Rebecca F. married Random Woodburn of Cherry Valley and was the last surviving member of the family. One other child died in infancy.
John Pierce and Alpheus Choat came from Vermont to Orwell, 1801. Pierce remained only a few years then removed to Owego, N.Y. His wife was a Woodruff, sister of Mrs. Josiah Grant. Choat married a daughter of Mr. Pierce. He removed from this section before 1812.
The Ranneys, William and John, located in Orwell, 1802. William seems to have removed to other parts prior to 1812. John died in Orwell, 1826 and George Ranney was appointed guardian of Abigail L. and William Ranney, minor children of the late John and Polly Ranney.
Libbeus Roberts, a native of Vermont, who served in the Revolutionary war and suffered many hardships (probably being in Montgomery's expedition), joined the pioneer settlement of Orwell in or before 1803. He located at what is known as Woodruff's Corners, where he continued to reside until his death, 1831. He was buried near where he spent his last days and lies in an unknown and unmarked grave. His wife was Esther Thompson by whom he had the following children:
Czar married Lucy A. Brownson and had children; Alford B., Amanda M. and Mary E.
Marintha married James Hays and had children John and Robert.
Alma married a Mr. Rich of Steuben county, N.Y. and had one son, Alford.
Elim married and had a daughter, Sally.
Almon married Betsy P. Townsend and removed to Clark county, Indiana. They had six daughters and one son, Charles, who died in the service during the rebellion.
Sally married John Sellon of Steuben county, N.Y. and had four children, Miranda, Philemon, Rosetta and Melissa.
Belinda married Chas. W. Sellon of Steuben county, N.Y. and had a family of several children.
The family is now widely scattered, none of the name being found in the county.