|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
John Grant, a Revolutionary soldier and brother of Capt.
Josiah Grant (I-300), came from Vermont to Orwell, 1805, locating on the
Carlos Chubbuck farm, where he died Nov. 23, 1813 in his 79th year. His
daughter, Ruth, married Joel Barnes (p. 9).
Daniel Loomis came from Connecticut to the Sugar Creek Valley, 1803, settling permanently on the J. R. Vannoy farm at East Troy, which he cleared and improved.
He married Mary, daughter of Ezra Goddard, Jr. of Burlington. She died, 1836, and
Mr. Loomis, 1846. Both rest in the Hilton cemetery. Their children who
married as follows were: Marilla to P. C. Williams; Alvin to
Minerva Berry of Springfield; Eley to Lydia Rich of Sullivan; Orrin
never married; Lucy to George Fritcher of Athens; Harriet to
Edward Gough of Clearfield; Caroline to Leonard Upham of Springfield;
to Harriet Pratt of Canton; Luther to Lucretia Farmer of Troy.
Tilly Leonard from Massachusetts located in West Burlington
about 1805. Here he engaged in farming until his death. His children were:
married Asa Pratt of Canton; Noah married Lucinda Hosley of East
Troy; Harriet married Joseph Hilton of West Burlington;
Eleazer Sweet, a native of Rhode Island, born July 9, 1778, followed the Wilcoxes to Monroe about 1802. He was noted for his muscular powers, being a match for the best men in the country. He married Amy, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox (b. Aug. 7, 1785;
d. Jany. 8, 1867); died April 1, 1866 in Monroe. Their children were:
Miama married Roswell Phillips; died at Dushore, Pa.
Rosina married Dr. Daniel Cole; died in Ohio.
Jemima married Price Streeter; died in the West.
Freeman, born Oct. 19, 1810, married Nancy J. Ridgway, engaged in lumbering and farming, died Dec. 8, 1891 in Monroe.
Lovina married Ezra C. Kellogg of Monroe.
Hiram married Mary Terwilliger, died in Monroe.
Ransom married Mary Jacobs; died in New Jersey.
Jane married George Irvine of Monroe.
Elizabeth married Lyman Hollon of Monroe.
James Moore, who was a native of the north of Ireland, came to this country and lived for a time on the Hudson, where he married Eunice Van Buren, whose father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and had his house burned by the British. Mr. Moore came early to Bradford county, first settling on the Scott place in Towanda township. From here about 1808, he removed to Towner Hill, where he
continued to reside until his death, May 9, 1841, aged 76 years, 3 mos. and 3 days.
His wife died Aug. 4, 1857, aged 88 years and 31 days.
Their children were:
Martin V. married Mary McGill; died on Towner Hill.
Elizabeth married Enoch Towner and died on Towner Hill, 1881 in her 90th year.
She was the mother of 14 children, 7 sons and 7 daughters.
James married Miss Cole; died in Potter Co., Pa.
Margaret married Hezekiah Russell of Rome.
Maria married Chester Tuttle of Sheshequin.
Nehemiah Wilson, a native of Newtown, Mass., born, 1760,
served in the Revolutionary war as follows: 1779 enlisted under Capt. S.
Fowers in the regiment of Col. John Crayton, served 9 months; 1782 enlisted
under Captain Watson of Colonel Ogden's regiment, served 6 months. Mr.
Wilson was a weaver by occupation. He married Polly Grover of Mansfield,
Conn., and removed to Cobleskill, N.Y., where seven of his children were
born. In 1807 he removed with his family to Springfield township and there
closed his days. He was given a pension by the government. His children
who married as follows were: Burdet to Rachel Smith of Ulster; Elizabeth
never married; Polly to Mr. McDougal of Lawrenceville; Charlotte
to James Voorhis of New York city; Sally to Eber Leonard of Springfield;
(2nd wife) to Col. Joseph Watrous of Montrose; Lucinda (1st wife)
to Col. Joseph Watrous; Hiram never married; Charles to Julia
Hammond of Centerville, Pa.
Cogswell is of English origin, the first of the family to settle in America being John Cogswell, who came to New England with his wife, four sons and five daughters in 1635. Of those descendant from him in the seventh generation were Edward, Joel and Daniel (brothers), all of whom came early to Bradford county. Daniel remained only a short time, going to parts unknown.
Edward Cogswell, born March 24, 1767 at New Milford, Conn., married Feby. 10, 1790, Bertha Beeman and in 1799 came to Bradford county to pursue his vocation of miller.
He first went to Frenchtown and afterwards worked in the mills along the Susquehanna at Wysox, Wyalusing, Sugar Run and down as far as the mouth of the Lackawanna. About 1809 he purchased a farm in Tuscarora near the present village of Silvara where he lived until his death. His children were:
Julius married and settled in Auburn, Susquehanna county.
Elisha, born April 4, 1792, married Jany. 7, 1816, Hannah, daughter
of Bela Ford of Pike, died June 4, 1873 on his farm in Tuscarora. He was a soldier, War of 1812. "He was an ardent lover of the chase and his faithful rifle furnished provender for his family during the period when food was so scarce that they otherwise would have suffered. It is a historical fact that he purchased a yoke of oxen in payment for which he was to give a ton of venison, which was killed with his old flintlock rifle by the time agreed upon." During his life he was a faithful member of the M. E. church. His children and marriages were: Bela, teacher, farmer and preacher over 50 years, 1st to Eunice Prentice, 2nd to Mrs. Lydia Fuller; Niram Jackson to Caroline Burch; Jarvis B. to Caroline James; Caroline M. to John Taylor of Springville; Emeline F. to Elijah Taylor (brother of John).
Aurilla married John Morley and removed to Michigan.
Cynthia married Wm. Drake of Wysox.
Amanda married Justus Gaylord and removed to Illinois.
Eunice married Levi Meracle. Their children and marriages: Melinda to Wm. Ross; Melissa to Capt. I. A. Park; Myron to Adaliza Buttles; Mervin to Lovina Blend; Sidana to Daniel Pepper; Albert to N.Y. state woman; Matilda to Wm. Place; Lyman C. to Lovica English; Amy to Jonas W. Lear; Cecelia to Chas. Jacoby; Maria to Daniel Montgomery; Alice to Henry Walker; two other children died young.
Amos and Sally both died unmarried.
Julius Cogswell settled near LeRaysville where he died.
He reared a large family and was the father of the elder Dr. Cogswell.
Thomas Overton, a native of England, who arrived in this country in 1798, remained at Philadelphia until 1807 when, as a land agent and dealer in real estate, he came to Ulster and the same year was licensed to keep a house of public entertainment. He was a man of sagacity and decided enterprise. He made many individual purchases of real estate and in addition to keeping a public house, soon brought in goods and opened a store. His place became a center of interest and trade, and he next built a combination grist and saw-mill on the river. During the days of the old militia, Overton's was a favorite meeting place for holding trainings. When Bradford county was formed, Mr. Overton took a deep interest in the establishment of the county-seat. He laid out the village of Towanda, was one of its original proprietors and gave the land for the public square upon which the court house is erected. In 1835 he was commissioned a justice of the peace. Before coming to this country he had married Mary Bleasdale of a prominent English family, remembered as a lady of culture and refinement. She did not come to America at the time of her husband's
emigration but later with her sons. She died April 18, 1813, at Ulster during a fever epidemic, aged 50 years. Mr. Overton afterwards married Mary Tracy of Towanda from whom he was divorced in 1826. He subsequently married Mrs. Charlotte Hale of Ulster. Mr. Overton died suddenly Nov. 11, 1835 at Ulster, aged 70 years, 1 month and 24 days. He is buried beside his wife, Mary, at Ulster. They left four sons as follows:
Thomas Bleasdale, born May 21, 1791 in Manchester, England, upon coming to America located at Wilkes-Barre where he was admitted to the Luzerne county bar, 1813. About 1820 he went to Mobile, Alabama to practice his profession. Soon after locating there he was taken sick of yellow fever and died. He had married at Wilkes-Barre, Anna Marie Hodkinson, a native of Honduras. They had two daughters: Mary Bleasdale (never married), who died in 1886 at the home of her niece, Mrs. C. B. Porter in Towanda, aged 72 years, and Ann Heartly who became the wife of M. H. Lanning of Wysox, died, 1871 aged 55 years.
Edward, born Dec. 30, 1795 at Clithers, Lancashire, England, received his education and legal preparation before leaving England. After reaching America in 1818 he went to Wilkes-Barre where he was admitted to the Bar and the same year came to Bradford county, where he continued to reside until his death, Oct. 17, 1878. He became eminent in the legal profession and was associated with a number of large enterprises. During his long and varied career he was signally successful in maintaining a high reputation for honor and honesty. Mr. Overton married, 1818, Miss Eliza Clymer, a grand-daughter of Hon. Geo. Clymer, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. They came to Towanda to reside in 1821. Their children were Mary (Mrs. James Macfarlane), Giles Bleasdale, Henry Clymer, Louisa (Mrs. James Ward), Francis Clymer, Col. Edward and Eliza (Mrs. E. P. Hammond).
William H. was for a time associated with his father at Ulster and afterwards lived in Athens and Milltown. He married Eliza Saltmarsh of Athens and had eight children, three of whom died in youth. The others were Mary (Mrs. Orlando O. Shipman), D'Alanson, Celestia (Mrs. Wm. B. Darlington), Emily (Mrs. Rinaldo Dorman) and William.
John married Julia Ann, daughter of Capt. Benj. Clark and settled
at Ulster. He died early in 1828 leaving four children, Mary, Elizabeth,
Thomas and Kezia.
Elisha Carpenter settled the farm next Ozias Bingham in North
Towanda about 1805. Here he died about 1812 and was buried upon the
farm. His widow, Cynthia, afterwards married Amasa Withey. The Carpenter
children were sons Garner and Elisha, and daughters, who
married as follows: Tamer to Urial Holbert; Eleanor to Nathaniel
Bailey; Hannah to Elisha Foster; Mahala to Iddo Ames; Jane
to John Packard; Rebecca to Samuel Green; Cynthia to Benjamin
Nathan Coon, a native of Petersburg, N.Y., born July 3, 1770, married Bridget Tifft, widow of Robert Tifft, a soldier of the Revolution. She was born June 22, 1768 Bridget Bailey at Richmond, R.I. Both her father and grandfather Bailey served in the patriot army, the latter being a major. When about 16 years of age she married Mr. Tifft and moved to Stephenstown, N.Y., and there remained until his death. About 1800 she married Nathan Coon and came to Sugar Creek with her family. She died August, 1847 at Canton, Pa. The children by her former marriage were Abby (Mrs. John Simpkins), Reuben, Judith and Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Bennett). Nathan Coon came from Unadilla, N.Y. to North Towanda in the fall of 1806 or spring of 1807. He purchased a possession of one Seely and settled thereon, the farm still being occupied by his grandsons. He was a noted hunter and popularly known as "Captain Coon" from his rank in the old militia.
He followed farming and lumbering till 1836 when he went to Illinois where he died
Dec. 6, 1859. His children were:
Nathan, born Feby. 26, 1803, married Anna Rutty, occupied the homestead, died 1847.
Mary Ann, born April 14, 1810, married Asa Miller, died in Illinois, 1859.
Anaziah, born Sept. 28, 1812, died unmarried, 1843.
Amos B., born Feby. 12, 1815, was the youngest and his mother's
21st child. He went to Illinois, 1835, followed surveying, then read law
and was chosen to a number of important public positions.
Dr. Joseph Westcoat, who had served four years in the
Revolutionary war, Connecticut line, came to Burlington in or before 1802
where he practiced medicine until 1811 then removed to Ulster and pursued
his profession until 1825 when he removed to Danby, N.Y. where he died
May 6, 1838, aged 78 years.
Benjamin Reynolds (Rennolls), a soldier of the Revolution, who had served under Capt. Amos Walbridge in Col. Charles Webb's regiment, Connecticut troops, came to the Sugar Creek settlement at Burlington as a shoemaker in or before 1804. Here and at LeRoy and Canton he pursued his trade until infirmities gathered upon him
when he was given the benefits of a pension. He had a wife, Lydia, and
children. Mr. Reynolds was born in 1761, died after the year 1840 and was
buried in the old cemetery, Canton village. Addendum: Benjamin Runnells
(Rennells, Reynolds), a native of Connecticut, enlisted from Stafford county
in 1776. In his several enlistments as a private he served over three years,
participating in the battles of Flat Bush, L. I., East Chester, N.Y., White
Plains, Trenton, Germantown, Monmouth and Stony Point. He was twice married.
Dutee Rice came, evidently, from the same locality as the Gerould family in Connecticut and soon after (about 1802) them to Smithfield. He was by trade a shoemaker which vocation he plied in the surrounding community. He was born Sept. 22, 1779 and married February 12, 1804, Susannah, daughter of Jabez Gerould (p. 7). Their children were:
Jerusha Ann, born April 18, 1806, married Grandison Watkins and lived at Columbia X Roads.
Susan Mariah, born March 2, 1808, married Lyman Mattoon.
Hiram, born March 13, 1810, married April 9, 1839, Mrs. Amanda (Guernsey) Nichols, died Feby. 23, 1876 in Rome. He learned the printer's trade and for a time edited and published The Northern Banner at Towanda. He afterwards graduated in medicine and was a successful practitioner at Rome for nearly forty years. Mrs. Rice died January 28, 1888, aged 80 years. Their children were Dr. William, Amanda, Charles, Elizabeth (Mrs. Delos Powers.)
Mehitable B., born Aug. 9, 1812, married Montilion Seely; resided at Charlestown, Pa.
Jabez Gerould, born January 18, 1815.
John J., born Aug. 18, 1817.
James P., born Oct. 21, 1819.
Caleb B., born May 8, 1822.
Betsy, born Dec. 24, 1825.
Orrin B., born Jany. 1, 1830.
Joshua Eames located in Smithfield soon after 1804. He
purchased a tract of 124 acres of the Bingham estate and began clearing
and improving the same. In the summer of 1814 he enlisted with Samuel Satterlee,
Phineas Pierce, Jr. and others in Colonel Dobbins' regiment of New York
volunteers and went to the Niagara frontier where he died of sickness in
October following. He left a wife and twelve children, Rufus, Esther, Warren,
Electa, Lucy, Abigail, Lois, Lyman, Luther, Orrin, Lydia and Robert Rose,
the eight last named being under the age of sixteen years.
Ridgebury's First Permanent Settlers were Isaac Fuller and Joel Campbell with their families from Orange county, N.Y. in 1805. They came with ox-teams, also bringing several cows, locating on Bentley Creek about a mile from the State line. "The inconveniences and privations of the wilderness were experienced in full measure by these
families. Their dwellings were made of logs and roofed with bark or shakes. They ate their samp and johnny-cake made from pounded corn, rendered palatable for daintier tastes by the addition of maple-sugar of their own making. They roasted their potatoes in the ashes and boiled their beans in a kettle suspended over the fire from a forked stick; but venison and bear steaks and roasts, wild turkeys, pigeons and grouse, and delicious trout graced their tables at all seasons of the year. They chopped and burned their fallows, and with a sharpened stick made holes in the ground among the logs and stumps, into which they dropped their corn and covered it over by their feet. They formed logging bees to clear their wheat patches and harrowed in their grain by drags with wooden teeth. Their plows were wooden ones, called 'bull' plows; the back-logs for their fire-places were drawn into the house by a horse."
Isaac Fuller, the Ridgebury pioneer, came with his wife and eight children as follows:
Beulah, born Sept. 19, 1774, married Nathaniel Campbell.
Betsy, born Sept. 23, 1776, died in her youth.
Charity, born March 12, 1779, never married.
Isaac, born August, 1781, married Rachel Van Kuren. He was a volunteer in the War of 1812. Died in Ridgebury.
William, born May 20, 1784, married Miss Campbell and died on Post creek.
Abial, born Feby. 8, 1787, married Miss Campbell. He was drafted in the War of 1812, but peace was declared before he reached the front.
Lemuel, born May 24, 1790, lived and died in Ridgebury.
Peter, born Oct. 11, 1796, removed to Michigan and died there.
Joel Campbell's family at the time of his settlement in
Ridgebury consisted of his second wife, brother, Benjamin, and these children:
Joshua, Ezekiel, Joel, Jonathan, Nathaniel, Benoni and William. Nathaniel
Beulah Fuller and came to Ridgebury with his wife and three children. He
and his wife died on the original location. Both Mr. and Mrs. Joel Campbell
lived to very advanced ages. Most of the family joined the Mormons and
Samuel Dunham came from the state of New York to Windham township, 1806. He had fought for the freedom of America from the tyranny of King George and his record of service is contained in his affidavit of Sept. 13, 1820, asking for a pension as follows: "That he, the said Samuel Dunham, aged 69 years, doth on his oath declare that after serving two enlistments of 9 months each and being regularly
discharged, the first time at Crown Point and again at Stillwater, he again enlisted in the month of April, 1778 at Stillwater for the term of 9 months in the company commanded by Capt. Levi Stockwell of Colonel Van Shaick's regiment of the New York line; that he immediately entered the service of the United States and continued to serve in the said corps until the month of January following when he was discharged at Ft. Edward; that he again enlisted in the spring of 1779 in the company commanded by Capt. Daniel Sherwood of Colonel Van Shaick's regiment and served until November following when he was taken prisoner by the British at Fort Ann and continued a prisoner until the end of the war." The old hero was given a pension. He died in Windham, July 4, 1822, aged 72 years, 3 months and 17 days. His remains repose in the Windham cemetery. Samuel and Martha Dunham had sons, Abraham, Samuel, Henry and Hezekiah.
Henry married Sibyl Wait, was a local preacher, mechanic and farmer. Both he and his wife died at advanced ages in Windham. Their children and marriages follow: Charlotte to Wm. White; Martha to Otis Russell; Anna to George Moore; William H. to Elizabeth Hand; Frances to Charles Hand; Elizabeth to Perry Sibley; John to Mary Bostwick; James to Martha Northrup; Samuel to Laura Manley; Wright to Sarah Bowen.
Abraham died in Windham, 1867 leaving wife, Elsie and children, Mary (Mrs. Dickerson), George, Samuel, Sylvenus and Abraham, Jr.
Hezekiah, who was a prominent citizen of the county, many years,
sold and removed to Southport, N.Y.
Henry Verbeck came from the Mohawk Valley, N.Y. to Windham township, 1808.
Amos and Jacob Verbeck were also pioneer settlers of the
same town. The former after forty years sold and removed to Wisconsin.
Henry remained in Windham and died on the farm which he had cleared and
improved. He married a Miss Dunham, their children being William, Philip,
Henry, Sylvanus, Abigail, Lydia, Sarah, Elizabeth and Matilda.
Grangers--In 1804 Elijah Granger, a resident of Suffield, Conn., was induced to come to Ulster with his family by his son, Alfred, who had previously located there. He occupied the Alanson Smith farm a few years then removed to Athens, where he died, 1814, aged 70 years. In 1816 Alfred was assessed as a merchant in Ulster, which is the last record we have of him.
Roderick Granger, another son of Elijah, came with his family from Connecticut to Ulster in 1809. Here he remained sixteen years then settled permanently in North Towanda, where he cleared
and improved a large farm. He took an active part in public affairs.
His wife was Almeda Dunlap, who died Dec. 7, 1868, aged 83 yrs., 5 mos.
and 12 days. Mr. Granger died suddenly, Nov. 7, 1848, while returning from
an election after voting for General Taylor for President, aged 69 years.
Their children and marriages were: Sophia to Artemas King; Harriet
to Joseph Menardi; Arabel to John Smith; Horace to Matilda
Vandyke; Adelia died unmarried; Roderick to Lois Rutty; Lucinda
to Washington Landrus; Elijah to Laura Luther; John to Elizabeth
William French, a native of Sheffield, England, born October 8, 1752, came to America, 1773 and settled in Litchfield county, Conn. In 1775 he enlisted in the American army and served seven years and three months, being with Washington's army at Valley Forge and in many engagements. In 1785 he married Lucy Hatch of New Fairfield, Conn., who was born, 1759 in Scotland. He removed with his family from Connecticut in 1803 to Franklin township where his eldest son had located the year previous. Here he died May 8, 1814 and his remains repose in the old cemetery at Franklindale. The seven children of William and Lucy French were:
William B., born May 16, 1786 at New Fairfield, in 1802 made a trip West on foot through the wilderness, arriving at Towanda. Going back on the hills near the line between Franklin and Monroe he purchased a possession right of Isaac Allen for $25. Returning East, he worked out until he had earned enough money to purchase a pair of oxen. Hitching these to a sled with an ax and auger he proceeded to his new home in Franklin. After making some improvements and putting in his first crops, he exchanged his oxen for a horse team, then went to Connecticut for the remainder of the family, moving them here, 1803. Mr. French gained considerable distinction as a hunter and trapper. About 1805, while in quest of his cows he found three young animals playing about a windfall and not knowing what they were, picked up two of the kittens when the mother, an animal the like of which he had never seen, pounced down upon him.
He stood his ground well but was required to let one of the kittens go. Upon reaching Absalom Carr's, he found that his kitten was a young panther. After a while, he made an exhibiting tour across the country, carrying the animal upon his back. In the East he traded his menagerie for bear traps and other hunting paraphernalia. He afterwards had an adventure with a panther which did not result as profitably to him as the first one did.
He struck the track of the animal just before dark and followed it until darkness had fully set in when the game took refuge
in a tree. It was too dark to aim with certainty, so he took the lock from his gun to strike a fire with the flint and by accident built the fire over it; the heat took the temper out of the lock and his design was defeated. He resolved to wait till morning and then make a new attempt on the game. But Morpheus soon engaged his attention and he fell asleep, the panther still over his head in the tree. When French awoke the next morning, the panther was not to be seen, having decamped during the hunter's sleep. Instead of returning home after his mishap, French took across the mountains to Wilkes-Barre to get his gun repaired. The family became alarmed and the neighbors turned out to make a search before his return. Mr. French was a soldier, War of 1812. He married, August 9, 1818, Nancy D. Avery of Granville, died August 13, 1865; Mrs. French died June 13, 1890 at a very advanced age. Their children were Eliza (Mrs. Ezra Carter), Juliette (Mrs. Thomas Dowd), Nancy (Mrs. D. W. Harvey), Harriet (Mrs. Timothy Dugan), Lucy (Mrs. David S. Miller), Melissa R. (died young), William W. and George W.
James served in the War of 1812, afterwards went to New York where he lived and married, following the printer's trade.
Clarinda married W. B. Whitney of Whitney's Point, N.Y.
Francis F. married Polly Smith.
Sophia married Ondius Carter.
Lucy married a Mr. Gough.
Erastus enlisted in the War of 1812 and was killed in an engagement with the enemy.
The Carrs, Absalom and Edsall, came from New Jersey to Monroe about 1803. They were related to the Edsalls. Absalom,who was a noted hunter, lived on the hills back of Monroe. While on one of his hunting expeditions, 1812, he discovered coal on Barclay Mountain. He spent his last days in Albany township. Edsall lived in Monroe and on Towanda hills until 1821 when he went West. He generally accompanied the hunting expeditions. He had children, Asenath (Mrs. Francis French), Cynthia and John.
The Chilsons, who were among the early settlers of Asylum, came from Florida, N.Y.
Samuel and Albert were the heads of the family, the latter, however, after about three years removed West. Samuel continued to reside in the town until his death, 1846, at the age of 85 years. Asa Chilson came in 1809 and Samuel 2nd, Jehiel and Joel, nephews of the elder Samuel, came about 1811. Asa, after some years, removed to Florida where he died. Samuel 2nd died at Frenchtown. Robert, George, Anson and William Chilson were also brothers. William
came in 1813, subsequently removed to Smithfield where he died. Benjamin
arrived, 1818 and died on the farm afterwards owned by his son, Benjamin.
Anson, who was a soldier in the War of 1812, came to the town soon after
the close of the war, but subsequently removed to Horseheads, N.Y.
Aaron Case, an enterprising Yankee from Vermont, served as a private in Capt. David Olmstead's company, Col. Roger A. Enos's regiment, Connecticut State troops; arrived in camp, June 3, 1778, discharged Sept. 1, 1778. He located within the present limits of Troy borough in or before 1801. He early erected a grist-mill on the site of Bowen's tannery in which he was killed about 1828. He was one of the first Baptists on Sugar Creek. His family consisted of his wife, Abigail and children, Moses, Philip, Martha (Mrs. Simeon F. Utter), Abigail (Mrs. Joseph Wills), Betsy (Mrs. Ansel Williams), Eunice (Mrs. Wm. Gifford), Aaron, Jr., Abraham, Lucinda (Mrs. Elon Cowles) and Miriam (Mrs. James Voorhis).
Moses married Rachel ______ who after his death married Joseph Wills.
Aaron married Nancy ______; died in 1877 leaving wife and children, Aaron, Emma A., Erastus L., Orrilla Rose and Lucy Dorinda.
Abraham married Sarah, daughter of Caleb Williams and had children,
Olive (Mrs. Roswell Dunbar), Jabez, Andrew, Aaron, Caleb, Simeon, Nancy
M. (Mrs. Miller Moore), Abigail (Mrs. O. H. Randall) and Warren.
Robert Claflin came to Sugar Creek, locating at East Troy
in or before 1801. He was an industrious and money-making citizen. He died,
1869. His family consisted of his wife, Anna, and children, Buckman, Carrington,
Robert, Jr., Jane, Ledyard, Ellen (Mrs. Taylor), Abner, Susan and Clarissa
Adrial Hebard located at Troy about 1805. He was a clothier
by occupation and was associated with Samuel Conant who established a fulling-mill
below Long's mills about 1808. Mr. Hebard was one of the first and long
a deacon in the Sugar Creek Baptist church. In 1850 he and his wife, Lois,
sold their property in Troy to John McKean.
Abel and William Eaton, single young men, in the spring of 1804, left their homes in Springfield, Mass., on foot, with their knapsacks strapped upon their backs, hoping to find their former neighbors, the Leonards. They reached the Susquehanna at Oneonta where they purchased a canoe and paddled down the river to Ulster. Arriving at Ulster they sold their canoe and resumed their journey on foot, coming in by the way of Sugar Creek. On arriving at the Leonards' location
at Leona in April, they worked with them until June, then selected lands of their own. Abel after some years removed to Canton township. William located on the Wm. Westbrook farm. He was born, October, 1787, married Asenath (b. Aug. 20, 1786), daughter of Wright Loomis of Athens and had children, L. Emily, Louisa C. and Theodorus. Theodorus died, 1894 in Springfield, leaving wife, Isabel and children, Almond H., Florence, Dell (Mrs. Frank Russell), Delos, Eleazer, Allen and Jane
(Mrs. D. W. C. Campman).
Ichabod Smith, also from Springfield, Mass., with his
wife, Anna, came to Springfield township in 1804. They had a daughter,
Harriet, born Nov. 19, 1809. Mr. Smith removed to other parts before 1812.
Josephus Wing and wife, Sarah, natives of Dartmouth, Mass.
and both advanced in years, in 1805, came to the wilderness of Springfield
township to reside.
Joseph Grover, born Oct. 16, 1748 at Norwich, Conn., came
to Bradford county, settling at Springfield Center in 1806. During the
Revolutionary war, from July, 1775 to March, 1777, he served three enlistments
in Connecticut regiments, mostly under Col. Charles Webb. He was given
a pension in his declining years. His death occurred, 1828 and his remains
repose in the Grover cemetery. Mr. Grover's family consisted of his wife,
Elizabeth (b. Sept. 19, 1751) and children, Ebenezer, Gurdon, Betsy (Mrs.
Fuller), Almira, Gamaliel, Harry and Joseph, Jr.
Joshua Spear, born June 13, 1764 at Suffield, Conn., enlisted
in March, 1781 in the company of Captain Persons, Col. Samuel B. Webb's
3rd Connecticut regiment and was discharged in April, 1783. By reason of
sickness, his brother, Elihu, took his place in the ranks and was accidentally
killed by a rock falling on him. Joshua was given a pension under the Act
of 1818. He married Miriam _____ and removed to Springfield township, Bradford
county, with his family in 1806. Here he took up and improved lands, bravely
sharing the hardships with his few remote neighbors in a great wilderness.
He died in 1838 and is buried in the Spear cemetery on the farm settled
by him. The children of Joshua and Miriam (b. Feby. 13, 1770) Spear were
Miriam, Harriet, Juliet, Hiram and Sophia (Mrs. Adin Calkins).
James Mattocks, a native of Litchfield, Conn., born July 27, 1770, moved to Springfield township, 1806 from Washington county, N.Y. where he exchanged his property for 1000 acres of land, Connecticut title. He located at Springfield Corners, building the first log house in that locality. Losing his title he repurchased 150 acres of the
Bingham estate. He was a stirring and influential man in the community, being farmer, mechanic, captain of militia and a justice of the peace for 30 years. He also served his country in the War of 1812. His death occurred July 12, 1858. He had married Abigail ______ (b. Oct. 21, 1768). Their children were: Sally R., born Jany. 23, 1793; James, born Dec. 17, 1796, married Isabella Harkness, died April 7, 1887, being the last surviving member of the family; Samuel P., born May 9, 1799, kept the first store in Springfield, died 1848; Charles, born May 15, 1802, lived in Springfield; Walter, born March 29, 1806, lived and died, 1874, in Springfield, leaving children, Elizabeth,
Walter P. and Wallace P.; John W., born June 17, 1808; Abigail
married Asahel Parmeter.
Oliver Gates, a native of Preston, Conn., born Sept. 18, 1757, who was one of the Springfield pioneers in 1806, early gave his assistance in throwing off the yoke of King George. His record of service follows: "Enlisted as a private February, 1776 in the company of Capt. Edward Mott afterwards commanded by Capt. Oliver Coit and was attached to General Sullivan's division of the Continental line, served 9 months and was in the battle of White Plains; after his discharge joined the crew of the Oliver Cromwell,
which went on a cruise, engaged the enemy, capturing three prizes which
were brought into Boston harbor, served six months or more." Upon settling
in Springfield, Mr. Gates suffered many privations and hardships in his
struggle to provide the wants of his family and carve out a home in the
wilderness. On one occasion while he was at Tioga Point earning bread for
his family, the provisions gave out and all that Mrs. Gates and the children
had to live upon for a period of two weeks were blackberries and milk,
and to procure the berries Mrs. Gates had to go a mile, making the trips
every morning before the little ones had awakened. Mr. Gates was given
a pension in his old age. His death occurred April 4, 1834 and he is buried
at Springfield Center. He had married Jemima _____ (b. Oct. 14, 1761).
Their children were: William, born July 10, 1789; Denison,
born Sept. 18, 1794; Oliver, born May 10, 1798; Samuel, born
March 14, 1801; Almira, born Feby. 10, 1804; Marcy and Betsy.
Luke Pitts, born Nov. 21, 1776 at Westfield, Mass., came
to Springfield with his family from Queensburg, N.Y. in 1806. In 1813 he
built a grist-mill, the first in town, at Springfield Center. Mr. Pitts'
family consisted of his wife, Sally (born March 12, 1784) and children,
Almira, Valaria, Wright and Luke.
Stephen Bliss joined the Springfield settlement in 1806, where he
continued to reside until his death, 1850. He left a son, Noah and daughter,
William Brace, born Jany. 25, 1785 at Cambridge, N.Y. located in Springfield, 1806.
He was an enterprising, hard-working man and accumulated a fine property, which he occupied until his death, 1872. He married Polly, daughter of Wm. Furman (p. 201).
She was b. March 20, 1787. Their children were Stephen A., Alfred, William
F., _____ (Mrs. Blakesley), Diton, Samuel, John H., Nancy (Mrs. Jas. McKean),
Martha (Mrs. Jas. Bullock) and Eliza (Mrs. Taylor).
Henry Stever and Amaziah Thayer, the former
from Worcester, N.Y. and the latter from Churlmont, Mass., came to Springfield
township with their families, 1806. Stever sold and moved away, 1810, Thayer
remaining a few years longer.
Joseph M. Piollet, born Aug. 15, 1773 at Bonneville, France, was a soldier under Napoleon and having been severely wounded at Austerlitz was made postmaster of the Army of the Alps. Upon retiring from the army he entered the banking house of the celebrated financier, Talleyrand of Paris, on whose recommendation he was appointed by Count LeRay du Chaumont, agent for the sale of his lands in Northern Pennsylvania. Coming to Philadelphia in 1806, he remained there one year to learn the English language. In 1807 he located at Rummerfield and the following year came to Wysox, where for a number of years he was associated with Wm. Keeler in the mercantile business. He was one of the first postmasters for Wysox and also kept a public house. Taking a considerable interest in political matters he was elected county auditor, 1821. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Elisha Whitney (b. Dec. 18, 1786, d. Sept. 23, 1840), died Nov. 29, 1850 in Wysox. Their five children were:
Victor Emile, born June 24, 1812, was for many years prominent in the politics of Bradford county and the state. In 1839 he was appointed by Governor Porter superintendent of the North Branch canal, which position he filled three years. Subsequently, he was commissioned a colonel in the state militia. In 1845 he was elected to the lower house of the State Legislature and re-elected, 1846. While in the Legislature he was appointed by President Polk paymaster of U.S. volunteers in the Mexican war. He was at different times a candidate for congress and was also the Democratic candidate for state treasurer in 1875. He was for some years engaged in railroad building and was superintendent of construction of the Pennsylvania & New York railroad between Lackawanna Junction and Waverly from 1866 to '69.
He was also largely interested in agricultural pursuits with his brother, Joseph.
He married Jane S. (b. May 17, 1825, d. March 3, 1879), daughter of Hon. Jesse Miller
of Harrisburg, died Aug. 27, 1890 in Wysox.
Joseph E., born Aug. 30, 1819, was associated with his brother during their lifetime in railroad construction and farming. He married Esther A. (b. June 10, 1824, d. Aug. 12, 1894), daughter of John Cox of Harrisburg, died July 19, 1891 in Wysox.
Frances Theresa married Alexander Dewing of Warren, died May 22, 1892, aged 77 years.
Emily Victorine married Thos. T. Wierman of Harrisburg.
Elizabeth Josephine married D. C. Salisbury of Monroe, died March
19, 1845, aged 22 years.
Capt. Jabez Fish, born July 25, 1741 at Groton, Conn., was one of the first settlers of Wilkes-Barre. He joined Captain Bidlack's company and was in the battle of Wyoming. Of the 32 men in the company engaged, he was one of the eight who escaped. He secreted himself in the long grass and so close were the savages, he feared his own heart-
beats would reveal his hiding place. While in this awful position, he listened to the screams and cries of women and children as the terrible butchery went on. "Mrs. Fish supposed her husband to have fallen and hastened with her children through the wilderness. Overcome with fatigue and want, her infant died. Sitting down a moment on a stone to see it draw its last breath, she gazed in its face with unutterable anguish. There was no way to dig a grave, and to leave the body to be devoured by wolves seemed worse than death, so she took the dead babe in her arms and carried it 20 miles, when she came to a German settlement. Though poor, they gave her food, made a box for the child, attended her to the graveyard and decently buried it, kindly bidding her welcome till she should be rested." In 1809, Captain Fish exchanged his property in Wilkes-Barre for 350 acres of land in Sheshequin. He came on and occupied his land, next above the Universalist church, until his death, April 16, 1814. He married for his first wife, Sarah Avery, sister of Mrs. Judge Gore. Of their children: Jemima married Zebulon Butler; a son, Thomas remained at Wilkes-Barre. In 1797, Captain Fish married for his second wife Susanna Dana (b. Jany. 11, 1782, d. April 4, 1844). Their children were:
Maria, born April 4, 1798, married Jesse Brown, died July 16, 1847 in Sheshequin; children, Ethlyn (Mrs. Elijah A. Parsons) and Mary (Mrs. Levi Wells).
Jabez, born Aug. 3, 1799, married Amanda, daughter of Moses Park, died March 15, 1876 on the homestead; children, Elvira (Mrs. Oscar Smith), Susan died unmarried, George W., Jabez and Lloyd.
Diantha, born June 15, 1801, married Alvin Dana, died in the West.
Lemira, born July 25, 1803, married Chester Park of Athens.
William Harkness, born April 17, 1762 at Pelham, Mass., enlisted in the American army at Colrain, Mass., in 1780 and served 5 months and 17 days. He came with his family from Granville, N.Y. to Springfield township in the fall of 1804, locating on the S. D. Harkness farm. Here he carved out a home in the wilderness and died, 1825. His wife was Esther ____, born Nov. 4, 1764 at Spencertown, Mass. Their children were Ebenezer, James, Amos, Polly, William, Isabel, John, Millicent, Stephen and Eliza.
Ebenezer, born Nov. 11, 1784, married Sally _____, sold out, 1816 and removed from the town.
James, born Feby. 3, 1789, married Martha McClellan and with his brother, William, occupied the homestead, died 1852.
William, born April 27, 1796, left at his death, 1871 in Springfield, wife, Clarissa and children, Lyman E., William H., Esther (Mrs. Orrin Wilcox), Jane (Mrs. Wm. Leonard), Lydia M. (Mrs. Alfred Havens) and Carrie.
James Harkness, born June 15, 1759 at Pelham, Mass., moved
from Salem, N.Y. to Springfield, settling in the east part of the township,
1806. His family consisted of his wife, Betsy (b. Feby. 6, 1764) and children,
Rosanna, Abner, Anna, James R., David, Betsy, Edson, Daniel, Isaac and
Abel Fuller, born July 7, 1773 at Rehoboth, Mass., joined
the Springfield settlement, 1807. He had a wife, Elizabeth, born Dec. 13,
1777 at Norwich, Conn. and children, Jacob, Althea, Gurdon, John, Alanson
Cowles -- John Cowles, from whom the family in America is descendant, came from England and was the founder of Farmington, Massachusetts about 1634; he was also one of the founders of Hatfield, where he died. From him descended in successive generations Timothy, Joseph, Joseph and John, the last named being the father of John Cowles, an Orwell pioneer, who was also a descendant of Capt. Joseph Wadsworth, who put out the lights and hid the Connecticut charter in the old oak at Hartford when Governor Andros by the King's order was trying to revoke it.
John Cowles, born 1772 in Connecticut, came to Bradford county
about 1805, settling in East Orwell. It is stated that when he arrived in Orwell his money, all in silver dollars, filled a half bushel measure. He purchased land which he cleared and improved until his death, July 11, 1825. Among other things, Mr. Cowles is remembered for his characteristic by-word, "totteration," used when a little vexed. He married 1st Mary Abigail (b. 1771 in Conn., d. Sept. 13, 1810 in Orwell) daughter of Artemus Johnson of Burlington, Conn.; married 2nd Lucy Coburn. His children were:
Johnson married 1st Lucy _____ (died July 5, 1825 in her 22nd year), 2nd Pluma Merrill of Warren.
Charles married Lois Ann Browning of Orwell.
Addison died Feby. 16, 1829, aged 21 years.
William married Polly Russell of Windham. Their children were
Amanda M. (Mrs. J. J. Newell), John H., Chester G. and Mary E. (Mrs. Chas.
The Tracy Family, prominent in the history of Bradford county, claim descent from a long line of English kings and royalty of Scotland, France and Russia, running back to the year 965. Hugh Tracy, sheriff of Gloucestershire, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth and King James I, was created a baronet by the latter, 1611. He had children, Nathaniel, Samuel, Nehemiah and three daughters. Thomas, son of Nehemiah, emigrated to New England, 1636, first settling at Salem, Mass. but before 1639 removed to Saybrook Inlet. In 1659 he was one of the witnesses to the deed by which Uncas, sachem of the Mohegans, conveyed the town of Norwich, Conn. to its settlers. In 1660 he settled at Norwich and became a man of influence. For 28 times he was deputy of the town in general courts and was also associate judge of the county. He was engaged in the military affairs of the colony and when a Dutch invasion was apprehended, 1673, he was appointed second in command of the dragoons raised in New London county, with rank of lieutenant. He was also commissary and quartermaster in King Philip's war. His children were John, Jonathan, Thomas, Solomon, Daniel, Samuel and Miriam.
John Tracy, son of Thomas, married Mary Winslow, daughter of Mary Chilton, the first of the Pilgrims who stepped upon Plymouth Rock and became the wife of the brother of the first governor of Plymouth Colony. Winslow, son of John Tracy, married Rachel Ripley, whose mother was a grand-daughter of Gov. William Bradford. Their son, Nehemiah, born March 22, 1722, married Susanna Smith, died Sept. 9, 1776.
Nehemiah Tracy, son of Nehemiah and Susanna (Smith) Tracy, was born Nov. 8, 1753 at East Haddam, Conn. During the Revolutionary war, he served in a troop of Light Horse cavalry. He married,
Oct. 14, 1789 Lucy Olmstead, who was born Jany. 3, 1766 at Colchester, Conn. and died Sept. 23, 1847 in Smithfield. In 1805 Mr. Tracy removed with his family from East Haddam to Smithfield, arriving at his new home July 20. "The last few miles of the journey were through the woods and leaving the father and older boys to cut a way through the log-blocked road. Mrs. Tracy went on foot with the two youngest children, her husband not joining her until after dark. She found her home most forbidding. The house had neither boards, nails, nor glass in its composition. It was about 16 by 18 feet, made of logs laid up cob-house fashion, the roof being covered with sheets of basswood bark. The chimney was very capacious at the bottom and would hold logs of almost any size. The cabin had neither floor nor windows. The whole country with few exceptions was a dense forest of heavy timber. Every necessity of life had to be brought quite a distance over bad roads and it was absolutely necessary to prepare some other dwelling for the ensuing winter. Within a few months a framed house (yet standing), the first in Smithfield, was erected."
"Mr. Tracy is remembered for his energetic manner and perseverance in all his undertakings. He was a man of high sense of honor and integrity, and honest in the fullest sense of the term by nature and practice. A more kind, obliging neighbor never lived. Attending a meeting, held by a traveling missionary at the house of a neighbor, Mr. Tracy was converted and May 20, 1810 with his wife united with the Congregational church, at which time his seven children were baptized. He became an active member of the church and was a large contributor toward the erection of its meeting house, assuming one-third of the expense and afterwards sold his only cow to help finish meeting the arrears."
His death occurred Dec. 10, 1815. Both he and his wife lie in the Congregational cemetery, East Smithfield. Their children were:
James Olmstead who married Anna Watkins, followed farming, lived and died in Smithfield; children, Euphemia, Sarah (Mrs. Orrin Scott), Nehemiah, William, Collins, Euphrastus, Lucy (Mrs. Levi Dickinson), Lois Burchard and Gamaliel.
Orramel married Cynthia Kellogg, followed farming and died in Smithfield; children: Caroline (Mrs. A. S. Mott), Dr. Elijah G. (long a practitioner at Troy and member of the Legislature), Alonzo, Anna E. (Mrs. Emer F. Wood), Clarissa Elvira, Alanson,
Rev. Charles Chapin, D.D. (for 47 years a successful missionary in Turkey and long president of Anatolia college at Marsovan) and Edward G. (member of New York legislature).
Arobel married Elvira Kellogg, followed farming and died in Smithfield; children: Emeline Lucy (Mrs. Brainard Bowen), Selden, Mary Ellen, Laura (Mrs. L. B. Gerould), John Dorrance and Jerusha Elvira (Mrs. Levi Burchard).
Buckley married Bathsheba Scott, followed farming and died in Smithfield; children: Albert O., Dr. Polly S., Fanny Newberry (Mrs. Chas. Kitchen), Harlon Page, Susanna Bingham (Mrs. Henry Wittig), Emily (Mrs. Woodworth, M.D.), Harriet Newell, Jane and Edward Payson.
James Gorham married Louisa Child, followed farming and died in Smithfield; children:
Harriet (Mrs. W. H. Carpenter), Edwin Perry, James Eugene, and Eloise Child (Mrs. Stephen Goodhue).
Benjamin Collins died in childhood.
Elijah Selden married Susan A. Martin and was long a prosperous merchant at East Smithfield; children: Jane L. (Mrs. Wm. A. Peck), Susan Martin (Mrs. Malie Tracy) and Mary Eliza.
Sally Lord died unmarried.
Grace -- Joseph Grace of West Springfield, Mass. was a hero of the Revolution and fought from the battle of Bunker Hill till the close of the war. He married a heroine:
Mara Sargeant, born in Boston of French parentage, Oct. 9, 1762, the daughter of a sea captain who was lost at sea a short time before her birth. She witnessed the battle of Bunker Hill, helped care for the wounded, and when other bandages were exhausted, took off her own petticoat and tore it into strips to save the lives of unfortunate soldiers. During the same battle, with buckets, she carried water from a spring to allay the thirst of the wounded and fighting patriots, and in after years often stated that "bullets fell around her like hailstones." For a time Washington made his headquarters near her home.
She used to wash and iron for Mrs. Washington and was the proud possessor of a silver dollar given her by General Washington for knitting him a pair of stockings. After the death of her husband, she came to Springfield township and resided with her son, William, where she died Aug. 30, 1844, from the effects of burns received by falling into a fireplace. For many years she had been a member of the Methodist church. Her remains lie in the Leona cemetery. The children of Joseph and Mara Grace were Joseph, George, Polly, Betsy and William.
Joseph, Jr., born Nov. 26, 1782 at West Springfield, married Deborah, daughter of Austin Leonard. In 1807 he removed to Springfield township, settling near Leona. He came with an ox-team, also bringing a cow, whose milk provided food for the children on the way.
When in the vicinity of Springfield Center, the train got stuck in the mud and the assistance of the neighbors had to be called for its relief. Like all the other settlers, Mr. Grace was required to build the primitive log house and battle with the wild woods for his sustenance. He died Feby. 9, 1825. His wife, born July 2, 1784, died ____.
Their children and marriages: Ambrose to Adelia Griswold; James Upham to Charlotte A. Morley; Maria to David M. Brooks; Betsy to Chauncey Brooks; Jane to Lewis Beach; Joseph Leonard.
George came to Springfield a few years after his brother, Joseph. He engaged in farming but spent his last years in Elmira where he died, 1852, aged 66 years. His wife was Clarissa Williams. Their children and marriages: Josephine to Dr. Whitman; Mary Ann to Prentice Norman.
William, born 1788 at West Springfield, Mass., followed his brothers to Springfield township, 1816. He was an industrious and successful pioneer. He delighted his neighbors by singing old-time songs, "The Age of Man," being his favorite. His death occurred May 25, 1849. He married Hannah, daughter of William Salisbury, a patriot of the Revolution. She was born, July 4, 1789, died Feby. 7, 1866. Their children and marriages: Harriet L. to Charles Guthrie; Hannah to John Salisbury; Minerva to Freeman Mills; Olive to Eli Brooks; William S. to Jane Decker; Mara to Jackson Ross; Arutine S. to Ulysses Moody; Addison 1st to Dimmis Knapp, 2nd to Flora D. Cheney; Ruby died, aged 9 years.
Polly married Samuel Sargeant and died in Springfield.
Betsy married Elisha Fanning and died in Springfield.
Isaac Morley, son of Isaac, who was a soldier in the French war of Colonial times, was a patriot of the Revolution. He witnessed the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. In 1807 he sold his property at West Springfield, Mass., and moved with his family to Athens township, settling at Morley's Mills. He arrived in October, having been 16 days in making the journey. He became the owner of a valuable property and lived to an advanced age, died 1855. Mr. Morley married Beulah Harmon of Suffield, Mass. They had nine children: the sons being Isaac, Gad Harmon, Alvin, Jacob and Justin; daughters, Fanny, Dorcas, Merab and Beulah.
Isaac married Celestia, daughter of Joseph Spalding and occupied the homestead; was a successful school teacher in his early manhood; died in 1882, aged 94 years; children: Isaac, Annie, Abraham, Simon,
Nancy, Huldah, Reuben, Seth, Celestia (Mrs. John Ovenshire) and Job.
Alvin married Eliza Parmenter of Owego and occupied a part of the homestead; children: George, Jane, Cornelia, Adaline and Frank S.
Gad Harmon married Experience Greene and occupied a part of the homestead; children: Beulah, John G., Justin, Hester, Harriet, Gad H. and Welthia.
Jacob settled in Burlington. He married Harriet Knapp; children: Joseph F., Lucy (Mrs. Philander P. Burns), Annie (Mrs. O. F. Ayer), Ida M. (Mrs. Isaac M. Campbell), Frances (Mrs. J. B. Felton).
Justin married Maria Minier and lived in Burlington; only child, Marian (Mrs. Clarence H. Pierce).
Fanny married Theodorus Loomis of Green's Landing.
Dorcas married Erastus Loomis of Green's Landing.
Merab married and lived in the East.
Beulah married Isaac Miller of Burlington and moved West.
Reuben Bumpus was born March 22, 1760 at Sharon, Conn. When a child, he moved with his father, Edward Bumpus to Vermont. At the age of 16 years in April, 1776, he enlisted at Hoosic, N.Y. in the company of Capt. Samuel Shaw, Col. Henry Van Rensselaer's regiment of the New York line and served 5 1/2 months; he re-enlisted and served as follows: April 20, 1777 for 6 months in Caleb Bentley's company of the former regiment; spring of 1778 for 4 months in Colonel Vroman's regiment of New York troops; summer of 1779 for 20 days in Sgt. David Huston's company in the regiment of Colonel Van Rensselaer; also in the of 1779 served an additional enlistment of 2 months. He was a private during all his enlistments and participated in the battles of Bennington and Saratoga. His brother-in-law, Russell Gibbs, having settled in Sheshequin, in 1800, he came also. The journey through the wilderness was made with a single horse, his wife riding and he on foot, carrying their goods as best they could between them. He remained in Sheshequin six years then removed to Bumpville. In the fall of 1806 he and Mr. Gibbs went hunting. Coming to a spot shielded from the frosts in which the foliage and vegetation gave a bright verdure, when all around was dead, they decided to make the place their abode. They accordingly each purchased 50 acres at $3 per acre of Joseph Kingsbury, Mr. Gibbs turning in his Sheshequin possession on his and Mr. Bumpus working his payments out. They at first built a log house and lived together on the present
Richards farm. Later Mr. Bumpus built on the west side of the road on the Drake place. They cut a road through the windfall, running north and south, which has always remained as now traveled.
Mr. Bumpus was a great hunter and proverbially drew a long bow in reciting
his exploits, as it always seemed to the settlers, which narrations received
the appellation of "Bumpus stories" and as such were remembered long afterwards.
His gun, "old Saxon," carried an ounce ball and six buckshot. The following
is a sample of his narrations: "One day while hunting near the present
Richards' barn he saw a panther and raising his gun to shoot, he heard
a noise behind him; looking around he saw six, an old one and her young.
Knowing it would be death to him to kill one, he made a child's bargain
-- if they would let him alone, he would do the same by them. He walked
slowly till out of sight then let no grass grow under his feet till safe
at home." Mr. Bumpus was a great conversationalist, a favorite with the
children and enjoyed reciting to them the adventures of his life. He was
granted a pension of $96 per year. His wife, Phoebe Gibbs, by whom he had
no children, died, 1836. He spent his last days with the family of Hiram
Drake, where he died Nov. 8, 1849 in his 90th year. Both he and his wife
are buried in the Bumpville cemetery.
Dr. Reuben Baker from Washington, Litchfield county, Conn.,
located in Pike township about 1806. He had a very extensive practice extending
over the western half of Susquehanna county and eastern Bradford. He was
very kind and kept no accounts with the families he visited, taking whatever
his patients could pay and in whatever material it was offered. His small
farm and the spoils of the chase and streams, supplied his wants. His ride
was through the forests, guided by blazed trees and on his calls he was
frequently followed by wild beasts. He married Rebecca, daughter of Isaac
Hancock. They had no children. After the death of his wife, he sold his
place and in 1849 returned to Connecticut.
Dr. Ebenezer Beeman, a native of Connecticut, born Jany. 7, 1761, served his country in the struggle for Independence. He enlisted, Dec. 1, 1775 and served as a corporal in the company of Capt. Eleazer Curtis, regiment commanded by Col. Goose Van Schaick of the New York state line and served until Dec. 5, 1776 when he was discharged at Saratoga, N.Y. In the engagement at Cumberland Head, N.Y., he was wounded in the leg. To pursue his profession he came to Black Walnut before the year 1799. A few years later, relatives having settled in Wilmot and Tuscarora, he removed to Wyalusing and practiced successfully many years. "He was noted for eradicating or
rendering innocuous the venom of poisonous reptiles." He enjoyed the benefits of a pension in his closing years. Dr. Beeman married, 1797, Hannah Lum. She died January 1823, aged 46 years. He died February 9, 1840. "As a citizen, neighbor, friend and father he possessed an unsullied reputation." Both rest in the Merryall cemetery. Their children and marriages follow: Matilda, b. May 23, 1798 to ____ Benson; Harriet, b. Oct. 26, 1799; Almeda, b. Aug. 8, 1801 to Cornelius Brink; Palmyra, b. Aug. 8, 1801 to Stephen C. Smith; Cynthia, b. July 1, 1803 to ____ Cobb; Joseph H., b. July 1, 1805 to Betsy Buck; Diana, b. May 10, 1807 to Luther Kellam; Euphema, b. April 15, 1809 to Harry Elliott; Rhodolphia, b. Oct. 27, 1810 to Charles Camp; Emily, b. May 27, 1812 to Horatius Brewster; Celestia, b. Nov. 21, 1816 to Wm. McDuoy; Ebenezer Nelson,
b. April 29, 1819 to _____ Titus; Nancy, b. January 20, 1821 to Marvin Buck.
Stephen Beeman, a brother of Dr. Ebenezer Beeman and Mrs.
Edward Cogswell, settled in Tuscarora soon after 1809. His mother came
from Connecticut with him. He cleared and improved a farm on which he died,
1860, survived by his second wife, Jane, and several children. Another
brother, Aaron Beeman, lived in Pike.
Jacob Hoff, a native of Germany, emigrated to America about the time hostilities commenced between the mother country and the colonies. He joined the American army and participated in the battles of Long Island, White Plains and Brandywine. In his application for a pension, 1821, he says: "That he the said Jacob Hoff in March, 1776, in Cumberland county, Pa., enlisted in a company commanded by Capt. Wm. Peebles, afterwards by Capt. Matthew Scott of the regiment commanded by Colonel Miles, but afterwards by Colonel Stewart of the Pennsylvania line; that he served until the close of 1777 when he was discharged at Valley Forge; family -- himself, a farmer, unable to labor and wife, Catherine Hoff, aged about 65 years." Soon after 1800, Mr. Hoff came to southern Bradford. He settled on Spring Hill, being one of the pioneers in that section. Here he died, 1832, aged 81 years. Of his children there were an Abraham, Jacob and daughter (Mrs. James Brink).
Henry Van Kuren came from Orange county, N.Y. to Standing Stone about 1808, settling the Fisher place. Here his wife died in 1814 and he subsequently removed from the neighborhood. He had sons, James and John. James in 1823 removed to South Creek township where he died at the age of 87 years. John remained in Standing Stone. He was the father of Prudence, Schuyler, Mary, Cooper, Sylvester, Norissa and Louisa.