|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
Lewis Moffit from Massachusetts, located on the Ross farm in Granville, 1800, being the second settler in the township. He removed before 1812.
Benjamin Saxton, a native of Massachusetts, who had married Susie Coburn, born in Connecticut, came to Burlington in 1804. Here he pursued his trade of blacksmithing until 1807 when he settled in Granville township. He was known as the "pioneer blacksmith," following his trade in conjunction with the improvement of land until his death in 1842, aged 68 years. His wife survived him many years, dying at 93. The family has always been prominent in the affairs of Granville. The children of Benjamin and Susie Saxton were:
Lucy married Chauncy Hill and died at 94.
Susan married Elam Parkhurst.
Benjamin married Delight, daughter of Truman Holcomb of Ulster; followed farming and died in Granville, 1861, aged 61 years; children and marriages follow: Valentine to Polly Manley; Lucy to Hiram Kittle; Oscar to Perces Morse; Solon J. to Hattie Martin; Edward to Clara ____ of Owego; Mahlon died young; Samantha never married; Susanna to Charles R. Kenyon; Benjamin to Anna Gilliam; Charles H. to Emma Merritt.
Charles married and settled in New York state.
Mary married Henry Putnam.
Henry married Julia, daughter of Ezra Bailey; followed farming and died in Granville, 1852, aged 44; children and marriages: Matilda to Alfred Putnam; Adolphus to Jennette Catlin; Sophia to Loren M. Leonard; Burton to Mary Bailey; Myra died at 16; Solomon died in Andersonville, Civil War; Franklin to Ella Rockwell.
Sarah A. married Albert Watkins.
Lewis D. married Abigail Doty and had a daughter Mary Adeline;
married 2nd Sarah Ann _____; he died January 30, 1886 in Granville.
Oliver Nelson was one of the first settlers of Granville coming thereto in 1807.
He continued improvements until 1847 when he sold to James Gee.
Uriah Baxter came from Connecticut to Granville, 1808. He settled and improved the Wm. Baldwin farm where he died, 1852. He married Keturah, daughter of Oliver Bailey (p. 33) and had children, Chauncey, Ezra, Betsey (Mrs. Simeon West), Keturah (Mrs. Elam Parkhurst), Roxie (Mrs. John Vroman), Hannah (Mrs. Benjamin West) and Oliver.
Oliver married Ruth Ross, lived and died in Granville; their children were
Uriah D., Jane (Mrs. N. W. Clark), Amanda (Mrs. John Mott) and Sarah
(Mrs. N. W. Clark).
Kilburn Morley, from Vermont, joined the Wilson settlement
at Alba in 1803. After eight years he removed to other parts.
William Cole and Oliver Woodward came to
the Canton neighborhood in or before 1804. The former died, 1814, survived
by his wife Elizabeth. Woodward remained in the locality some years.
Thomas Miles came to Canton township, settling permanently
in or before 1806. His descendants still reside in the town.
Rev. Simeon Powers, a preacher of the Baptist denomination
from Vermont, settled near Alba, 1807. He preached Sundays and worked on
his farm the balance of the week. The first religious meetings (1808) in
the neighborhood were conducted by him. The following is related: "During
one of his meetings at the home of Jeremiah Smith, a large buck was discovered
near the house. The preacher stopped in his 'fifthly' and Mr. Smith took
down his rifle, stepped to the door, shot the deer and then cutting his
throat, returned to the house and the discourse was continued and completed
without the curtailment of a single paragraph or the loss of a word of
its application. When the services were over, the worshipers dressed the
venison and divided it among the families." Mr. Powers became pastor of
the Columbia Baptist church, remaining until 1816 then accepted a call
to Harmony, N.Y., where he died, 1842, aged 73.
Joel Stevens, a farmer and mechanic, came from Connecticut
to East Troy in 1808. He purchased a farm where he died, 1814, survived
by his wife, Lydia, and eleven children. His son, Joel, who married Celestia,
daughter of Nathaniel Ballard, was a prominent citizen of Columbia. He
died in 1881, aged 80 and was the father of Philander G. Stevens.
Alpheus Gillett served in the Revolutionary war, three
years (1776-'79), as a private under Captain Thomas Seymour in the regiment
commanded by Colonel Sheldon of the Massachusetts line. In or before the
year 1808, Mr. Gillett removed with his family and son-in-law, Aaron Marcellus,
to the Athens district, locating in Ridgebury township. Here, he followed
farming and died. He enjoyed the benefits of a pension in his closing years.
He left three or four sons, descendants of whom still live in the town.
Ebenezer Pease, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Smithfield from Milford, N.Y., 1809-'10, locating at the foot of Mitchell hill. He was a tanner and harness-maker by occupation. "The old hero was
wont to relate his thrilling war stories, hair-breadth escapes, trials and sufferings. Once, he was captured by the Indians and was made to run the gauntlet. As he ran with Indians on either side of him, he was severely beaten. Sometimes he was knocked down or fell from exhaustion when the drubbing would cease until he arose to his feet again. The Indians were going to scalp him, but fortunately he had a 'double crown,' which the savages discovered and, in superstitious fear of being haunted by the white man's spirit, desisted. Mr. Pease is said to have understood the Indian language and at one time acted as interpreter for the government. He was one of the first supervisors of Smithfield and so well did he guard the interests of the town, that when Dr. Bullock came in to locate with nothing but his pill-bags and a law book, Mr. Pease ordered him to leave, fearing he would become a town charge. This circumstance was related with much satisfaction by Dr. Bullock himself years afterwards. In his last years, Mr. Pease became very lame and walked with two canes. Finally, he got so infirm that when he went to the village, he pushed a chair ahead of him and as he wearied, would sit down in it and rest." The old patriot was given a pension for his services in the war. He died in the early 40's, aged over 80 years. His children were Jesse, Stephen, Laura and Rhoda. Only Jesse remained in the town, the others going back to the state of New York.
Jesse married Celinda Scott and had children, Horace and Mary.
Mrs. Pease died in 1820 and he married Abigail Forrest, who bore him no
children. He died May 16, 1862, aged 77 years.
Col. Edmund Lockwood, a native of Watertown, Conn., removed to Baltimore, Maryland in 1810 where he entered the employ of Charles Carroll. He was soon-after appointed by him agent for the sale of Carroll lands in Bradford and adjoining counties. He came on and established headquarters at Smithfield in 1811. Subsequently, he removed to Ulster and settled permanently upon a large tract of land which he had purchased (1816). This, he continued to improve and at the same time acted as land agent until his death.
Mr. Lockwood served in the Connecticut militia from 1797 to 1810 and was commissioned successively captain, major and colonel. In Connecticut, he had married Nancy Judson by whom he had two children; Caroline, who married Samuel Simons, and Charles died unmarried. His wife having died before coming to Bradford county, in 1816 Colonel Lockwood married Mrs. Mary Ann Russell, widow of Dr. Robert Russell.
He died January 16, 1834 in his 65th year. Mrs. Lockwood, b. March 8, 1793, d. July 5, 1865. During the more than thirty years of her widowhood, besides rearing her own children, she was more than a mother to perhaps a
score of others, who at various times and for longer or shorter periods, found a home beneath her roof. Her hospitable mansion was always open to the poor, the needy and unfortunate, and was often filled for days at a time by those who had no claim to her hospitality other than her invitation to share it with her. She had a tenacious memory and good conversational powers. Having been born and reared on the spot which for more than 70 years was her home, she had a very wide acquaintance and in her later years, many people resorted to her for information of the early history of the county, which she was fond of recounting. The children of Colonel and Mrs. Lockwood were:
Edmund, who occupied a portion of the homestead.
Abigail C. married John Jones and lived in Ulster.
Richard Caton lived at Wellsburg, N.Y.
Samuel Simons lived in Athens.
Mary Ann married Daniel B. Walker and lived in Ulster.
Phebe Maria married Henry Segar and lived in Ulster.
Francis and Charles died in childhood.
Moses Warford, a native of Kingwood, Hunterdon county, N.J., came to Macedonia about 1810 where he purchased a large tract of land, since known as the Col. E. J. Ayres farm. He was an industrious and worthful citizen and continued to improve his property until his death. He had married Catharine Powers of Frenchtown, N.J., who died April 18, 1831 in her 50th year. Mr. Warford died Dec. 26, 1848, aged nearly 71 years. Their children were John Jewell, James, Nelson, Cyrus, Anna and Embly Drake (drowned in boyhood).
John J. married Phidelia Arnout and kept hotel at Monroeton; died in 1853, aged 46 yrs.
James married Susannah Merry of Troy; was for a number of years engaged in wagon-making at Towanda; died at Waverly in 1880, aged 71 years.
Nelson married Catharine Hart and was a merchant at Monroeton where he died.
Cyrus married Abby Pettit and kept hotel at Waverly and died there.
Anna married Abiel B. Mills and lived in New York city. She was
the mother of General A. L. Mills of the U.S. army.
Jared Woodruff, born August 14, 1789 at Barrington, Massachusetts, made a trip to the West on foot and alone in 1812. With no particular point in view, he drifted into Monroe and after having lived there a short time, a brother, Urial, came in. They purchased the improvements which had been made by John Northrup. They erected a double log
house and Urial, who was married, occupied one part and Jared keeping bachelor's hall in the other. He had a cow and made his own butter by stirring it with a spoon in a crock. March 2, 1814, he married Sophronia, daughter of Timothy Alden. The young couple, full of hope and ambition, began life under the most trying circumstances. The first year after their marriage, they packed the butter, made from their cow, in a barrel and took it to Ithaca and exchanged it for a cake of white sugar, a pound of tea and some other groceries. The sugar and tea were all they had for a whole year. One year Mr. Woodruff had but few products to turn off, his best crop being pumpkins. Drying a lot of these, he took them to Syracuse and exchanged for salt. "Pumpkin molasses" was used to save the butter and thorn-apples were gathered and dried for sauce. Fruit was a luxury and when in season, Mr. and Mrs. Woodruff would spend an evening with Mr. and Mrs. Rutty on Sugar Creek, eat apples and enjoy themselves in the good old way of long ago. Their trips were usually made on horseback, Mrs. Woodruff occupying the rear seat with him. Frequently, they were required "to go to the neighbors to borrow fire." Through their frugality, after a few years, Mr. Woodruff was able to buy out the interest of his brother, who moved to Spencer, N.Y. After years of diligence and toil, the closing days of this worthy couple, were spent in peace and plenty. Mr. Woodruff was long a member of the Presbyterian church. "His life was an exemplification in religion, an ornament to society and a benefit to the community." His demise occurred June 9, 1875. Mrs. Woodruff, a woman of beautiful religious life, b. May 9, 1793, d. April 8, 1876. Their children were:
Corydon, b. Dec. 26, 1814, was drowned June 5, 1837.
Philyndia, b. Nov. 6, 1817, married Dr. E. H. Mason, d. March 26, 1907 in Towanda.
Phidelia, b. February 23, 1820, married Jonas P. Smith, d. March 23, 1856.
Jared F., b. January 12, 1823, married Jane Howie, occupied the homestead and died March 18, 1904.
Bernice, b. March 29, 1832, married George D. Jackson of Dushore, Pa.
Oscar H., b. February 13, 1836, married Emily L. Jackson of Dushore,
practiced dentistry in Towanda, died Oct. 29, 1865.
George Alger, for fourteen years a sea captain, "learning that a fortune could soon be had by investing in the rich lands found in the Susquehanna Valley in northern Pennsylvania, sold his mill property at Chatham, Columbia county, N.Y. and set out to find the new
Eldorado." He arrived at Towanda in 1800 and purchased of Job Irish
the farm known as the Patton place. Soon after locating upon the farm he
erected a framed barn, set out fruit trees and in a few years had his farm
well improved and stocked. He was also a skillful cooper and supplied the
neighborhood with barrels, churns and other cooperage. With a pair of moulds,
he manufactured pewter spoons which he sold to the settlers. Mr. Alger
died between 1809 and 1812 and was buried in his garden. His wife, Sarah,
survived him some years. She was buried beside him. Two of their daughters
came to Towanda with them: Lois married Edsell Carr and removed
to Ohio; Irene married 1st Joseph Brown, 2nd Moses Carter, 3rd Peter
Johnson of Rome.
Thomas Ballard, a native of Massachusetts, moved with his family from Greene county, N.Y., joining the settlement of his cousins, the Ballards, in West Burlington, 1800-1.
He was a noted hunter. The trials and privations of the family were many and severe but were met with true pioneer courage, and years of unremitting toil were rewarded by peace and plenty. Mr. Ballard died in Troy at the age of 95 years and his wife at 80.
Mr. Ballard's wife was Catharine Provin and their children, Orrin P., Ira P., Polly,
John V., Samantha, James A. P. and Eliza.
Orrin P., (b. Feb. 22, 1798, d. Aug. 8, 1872) began his successful career at the age of 17 as a clerk for Clement Paine of Athens. In 1822 he established the first store in Troy and for 30 years was the most prominent business man in Western Bradford. In connection with his mercantile business, he carried on various other enterprises. He ran a stage route from Troy to Elmira and also kept a hotel several years. He established the first paper in Troy, being the Anti-Masonic Gazette, which was edited by Thos. E. Paine. He was also an extensive landholder. "As a business man, he was very methodical and his success was attributed largely to his foresight, remarkable energy and strict integrity."
In 1823, Mr. Ballard married Amanda, daughter of Moses Calkins (I-247) and after her death (1826) he married Eliza Ann, daughter of Howard and Lucy (Allen) Spalding.
His children were Orrin P., Catharine E. (Mrs. Wm. B. Orwan), Mary C., Lucy H. (Mrs. Webler Nichols), Julia J. (Mrs. Robert A. Crawford), Amanda E. (Mrs. Ed Spalding), Edward F., Francis L., Eliza A. (Mrs. Thomas Maxwell) and Frederick E.
Ira P. was a successful and prosperous farmer in Troy township; was a remarkable and interesting old gentleman; died April 25, 1893, aged 93, married 1st Roxanna Beach, 2nd Fanny Beach and had children: George F., Gordon M., Louisa (Mrs. Ed. E. Loomis),
Walter E., Robert A., Susan P. (Mrs. Lewis Wilber) and Fanny A. (Mrs. D. A. Lament).
Polly, born Aug. 24, 1806, married, 1828 Dr. Armenius Fellows and settled at Mainesburg, Tioga county, Pa. She was a very remarkable woman of beautiful life.
Her death occurred at nearly 100 years.
John V. followed farming successfully in Troy township; died Aug. 8, 1899, aged 90.
He married Maria, daughter of Enos Smith of Smithfield. Their children were Shepard H., Sevellon A., Guy S., Lert J. and Job. Mr. Ballard married for his second wife Louisa Swain.
Samantha married Luther Goddard of West Burlington.
James A. P. settled in Troy township; married 1st Margaret King, 2nd Lucy Jane Bowen; died 1860, leaving a daughter, Louisa Jane.
Eliza married Jehiel McKean of West Burlington.
David Palmer came to Burlington where he remained for
a time then in 1804, removed to Columbia, he and his family being among
the first and prominent pioneers.
Charles Keyes, a hatter by occupation, first stopped in Burlington and in 1807 located permanently in Columbia where he gave more attention to the improvement of a farm.
He died in 1856 leaving children, Stephen, Edmund, Hannah, Stillman
Calvin Tinkham, from Hampshire county, Mass., located
in the wilderness of Columbia, 1807, cutting the first tree upon the farm
which he cleared and improved. Here he died and was succeeded by his son,
S. P. Tinkham, who occupied the farm during his lifetime.
Nathaniel Merritt, from Vermont, was another settler in
Columbia, 1807. He had five sons, one of whom was Curtis Merritt, many
years a resident of Sylvania.
John Bixby settled in Columbia, 1808. He cleared and improved
a farm, upon which he died, October, 1866, aged nearly 90 years. He left
children, Sylvanus, Hiram, D. Nancy (Mrs. Willard), Ezra, Mary, John, Eliza
(Mrs. Cowan), Mariam (Mrs. Wood), Daniel, Gilbert H., Warren and Lorinda
Asa Howe, a resident of Norfolk, Conn., in April, 1776, enlisted in the company of Captain Pettibone, Colonel Porter's regiment of the Connecticut troops and served 1 1/2 months; subsequently served three other enlistments with the Connecticut troops as a private. In September, 1777, he enlisted in the company of Captain Lawrence, served
1 1/2 months; in 1778 served 6 months in the company of Captain Beebe under Colonel Eno; in 1780 served 6 months under Captain Wright in
Colonel Bradley's regiment. In 1808, he removed from the East to Columbia,
Bradford county, where he settled permanently. He was one of the original
members of the Columbia Baptist church and a number of years one of its
ruling elders. He was twice married. By his former marriage, he had a son,
Asa, and perhaps other children. He was given a pension under the Act of
1832, and on Dec. 22, 1833 was married to Priscilla Gray. He died July
6, 1844, aged 84 years and Priscilla was pensioned as his widow.
Joseph Beaman, (b. January 27, 1785, d. Aug. 12, 1872), a native of Bennington, Vt., and son of Joseph Beaman, a faithful soldier of the Revolution, came to Columbia,
1807-8 and took up a farm which he cleared and improved. He was for
many years a local Baptist preacher. He married Almira Burrell of Tioga
county. Their children were Mary (Mrs. D. B. Knapp), Martha M. (Mrs. L.
E. Haven), Joseph, Sarah (Mrs. Austin Edsall), David, Ruth, William, Lydia,
John W. and Lucy (Mrs. C. E. Colony).
Elnathan Goodrich removed with his family from Delaware county, N.Y. to Columbia in 1810. He engaged in the improvement of land until his death Feb. 28, 1846, aged 70 years. His youngest son, Elisha Sheldon, became a man of note. St. John, Stephen D. and George, were other sons.
Elisha Sheldon Goodrich, son of Elnathan, born Aug. 15, 1810, grew to manhood in Columbia. He began his career as a school teacher. In 1831, at the age of 21, he was appointed by Governor Wolf, Register and Recorder of the county, an office he filled five years and served as a justice of the peace for Towanda at the same time. He was chosen transcribing clerk of the State Senate in 1844 and chief clerk in 1845 and '46. In 1852 he was appointed deputy secretary of the Commonwealth and held that office three years. In most of his private enterprises he was a prominent man before the public. In 1835 he purchased the Northern Banner, which he published two years, then engaged in the mercantile business. In 1840, he established the Porter, subsequently Re-Porter, with which he remained connected several years. In 1859 he purchased the Luzerne Federalist and continued the paper until failing health compelled him to relinquish his labors.
He returned to Towanda in 1860 to enjoy his closing years. "In all his varied positions before the public, Mr. Goodrich proved himself worthy of the confidence and secured the esteem of his fellow citizens. But few men have filled offices of public trust so long and retired, finally, with a deeper or more general respect and esteem of all parties than he.
In all his relations he was the same upright, generous, high-minded gentleman."
Mr. Goodrich married 1st Achsah, daughter of Eli Parsons (I-328) and had children, Elnathan O'Meara, Hiram P. and Cordelia (Mrs. S. V. Shipman); married 2nd Rose W. ______ and had a son, Alexander; died in Towanda, June, 1862.
Elnathan O'Meara (b. June 23, 1824, d. January 28, 1881) was long prominent in political life and editor and publisher of the Bradford Reporter for 35 years; served as prothonotary of the county, 1860 to '66; was surveyor of the port of Philadelphia, 1869 to 1881; married Susanna O'Hara whom with two daughters he left at his death.
Hiram P. was an engineer upon the North Branch Canal and assistant surveyor of the port of Philadelphia under his brother.
St. John Goodrich, son of Elnathan, spent his early life
in Columbia; read law with Wm. Elwell at Athens and was admitted to the
Bradford county bar, 1841; was appointed Collector of Tolls at Harrisburg,
a position he held several years; removed to Warren, Pa. and engaged in
journalism; finally settled in Omaha, Nebraska where he died.
Kellogg -- In 1660 three Kellogg brothers came from Scotland to America. Early in the history of Bradford county, it was found upon investigation that a descendant of each of these brothers had settled here. They were Daniel, Amasa and Luman.
Daniel Kellogg came from Balsam Springs, N.Y. to Ulster about 1811; finally settled at Towanda where he died March 2, 1823, aged 60 years and was buried in Riverside cemetery. His widow afterwards married Capt. Ralph Martin of Wysox. The children of Daniel Kellogg were Electa, Eliza, Huldah, Hiram, Stern, Harvey, Harley and Alvah.
Electa married Loren Shaw and died in Towanda.
Eliza married Nathaniel Eaton of Towanda.
Huldah married Noah Spalding of Towanda.
Hiram settled in the West.
Stern married Samantha Dobbins of Troy, removed to and died in New Orleans, La.
Harvey married Mary Chaapel of LeRoy; he had previously married three sisters, Sylvira, Sally and Celinda Cole; he died in LeRoy.
Harley settled and died in the West.
Alvah followed blacksmithing in Towanda until 1827 when he removed to Franklin township where he died, 1833. He married 1st Mary Morse of Franklin and had children, Alonzo, Harvey, John, Angeline (Mrs. Geo. J. Goff) and Matilda (Mrs. Richard Dearmond); married 2nd Tacy Chaapel of LeRoy and had children, Mary (Mrs. Eli Rockwell) and Emma (Mrs. Edward Montgomery).
Amasa Kellogg (b. April 18, 1776, d. Nov. 30, 1851), was a son of Moses Kellogg.
The latter was a farmer who served as a corporal in Captain Wilcox's company, Colonel Ashley's regiment from July 8 to Oct. 19, 1777; during a portion of this time, he was with the Northern army. Amasa Kellogg, a native of Hillsdale, Columbia county, N.Y., came to Monroe in 1813. His wife was Eunice Chadwick (b. May 9, 1777, d. April 12, 1844). Their children were Almira, Moses, Ezra C., Oliver W., Anna M. and Daniel.
Almira, b. Aug. 21, 1799, married John Heverly of Overton, d. May 18, 1880.
Moses, b. March 23, 1801, married Mehitable Mason, d. May 4, 1864.
Ezra Chadwick, b. Oct. 8, 1804, married Lovina Sweet, served as county treasurer and county commissioner, d. March 12, 1885.
Oliver W., b. July 27, 1808, settled in Texas, married Judith Scratch, died 1884.
Anna M., b. Aug. 28, 1810, married Hiram Baker.
Daniel, b. February 14, 1813, married Eliza McMicken and died in Albany.
Luman Kellogg was an early and prominent settler of Smithfield.
His wife was Hannah _______. Chauncey, Austin, Capt. Harvey, Winsel F.
and Helmont were of this family.
Ethan Baldwin, physician and lawyer, came from Washington county, Pa. to Burlington about 1811 where he practiced medicine. Upon the organization of the county he removed to Towanda and occupied the Powell farm where he erected the stone house, a landmark for many years. In January, 1813 when the first court was convened in the county, he was admitted and sworn as a practicing attorney, being the first resident attorney of Towanda. It is said that he was not a complete success as a physician; but "as an advocate of the bar he was famed for metaphorical comparisons and illustrations, and his imagery was often sublime." He had an extraordinary memory, prolific imagination and was moreover an inventive genius and writer. In making one of his experiments he was badly disfigured by an explosion of steam. In 1822 he was a volunteer candidate for congress and received 350 votes in the county. He was county auditor, 1816 to '19 and in 1841 was appointed postmaster for Towanda. He was the first resident deputy attorney-general or district attorney of the county, serving during the years 1821, '22 and '23.
Mr. Baldwin removed to Harrisburg in 1828 but returned to Towanda in 1839, where he remained until 1845, when he moved to Philadelphia. He was a prominent and active Free Mason and took a deep interest in the welfare of the local organization. He was also the author of several pamphlets. Dr. Baldwin was married but we have no record of any children.
(Illustration of Ethan Baldwin)
David Rundell, a native of France came to Ulster in 1801 where he married Polly Ensign. He settled in Burlington and was for many years a pioneer Protestant Methodist preacher, making long circuits on horseback. His death occurred in 1831 at the age of 60 years. He had a family of nine children, seven of whom were Austin, Harrison Perry, Ensign Dickerson, Lorenzo Mentor, Polly, Minerva Ann and William Stilwell.
William Knapp, a native of Orange county, N.Y. and son of a patriot of the Revolution, came to Ulster in or before 1801 and there labored faithfully and endured the privations of pioneer life until 1827 when he moved to Burlington township. Here he cleared and improved a farm and operated a grist and saw-mill on Sugar Creek. He had married Nancy, daughter of Lockwood Smith of Ulster (I-139); died August 15, 1862, aged 84 years, 3 months and 6 days. The children of William and Nancy Knapp were as follows:
Deborah, b. May 22, 1804, married Elam Kendall, was the mother of seven sons and two daughters, d. July 19, 1892; Harriet, b. May 18, 1811, married Oct. 29, 1830, Jacob Morley, d. March 18, 1886; Charles, b. Feb. 14, 1813, married Diadema Soper;
William H., b. Dec. 18, 1814, married Miss Vosburg; Mortimer,
b. Sept. 24, 1820, married 1st Melissa Clark, 2nd Phebe Wilcox; Nancy
A., b. June 4, 1822, married John Arthur; Robert M., b. Aug.
4, 1824, married Adelaide Nichols; Charlotte, Sarah C. and Politus
Samuel Case was a prominent pioneer of Troy township coming thereto in or before 1801. He had sons Zina, Philander, Thomas, Samuel, Benjamin and John.
Philander married Betsy E., daughter of John Grantier of Canton, died May 7, 1881; their children were Delight (Mrs. Geo. Wing), Elizabeth P. (Mrs. Courtland Clark), Delilah (Mrs. John Haflet), Helen (Mrs. Geo. Haflet), Margaret (Mrs. Moses Farman), Delphene (Mrs. Benj. Putnam), Harriet (Mrs. Hyman Bates), Philander, Herbert H. and Franklin.
Zina died February 1, 1880 in Troy township, survived by his wife Amelia and children, David M., Burt, Charlotte (Mrs. Harrison W. Greeno), Mary J. (Mrs. Jabez Case), Hester (Mrs. Mial Watkins) and Margaret (Mrs. Alex. Kennedy).
Thomas died, 1872 in Canton, survived by his wife Isabel.
John married Julia A., daughter of Eldrich Ward, died in Granville;
their children, Minerva A. (Mrs. Chas. Dickinson), Emeline, Fidelia (Mrs.
Lyman Daley), John H. and Samuel R.
Thomas Merritt, born February 13, 1758, served as a private
in the 8th regiment Albany county (N.Y.) Militia, commanded by Col. Robert
Van Rensselaer in the Revolutionary war. He came to Sugar Creek, settling
in Troy before 1812 and there continued to reside until his death, Nov.
23, 1834. His wife was Anna _______. Both rest in Glenwood cemetery, Troy.
They left a son, James, who married Mary Buckout.
Isaac Rundell located in Canton township about 1806. He
died in 1818 and his wife, Margaret, and Samuel Griffin were appointed
administrators of his estate.
Comfort Peters, who enlisted in the Revolutionary war at Douglass, Mass., came to Columbia township in 1808. He was a noted basket-maker and supplied a wide section of the country with his handiwork. In 1831 he sold to Daniel Gregory and returned East; died April 9, 1833 at
Swansey, N.H., aged 78. Comfort S., Genebeth and Wilmot Peters were
evidently his sons.
Isaac Cooley, born Nov. 4, 1784 at Springfield, Mass.,
was the eldest child of Isaac and Abigail (Gottier) Cooley. He located
permanently in Springfield township, 1808. He was a worthful citizen and
long prominent in public and civil affairs. He served as county auditor,
county commissioner and as a member of the State legislature. He took an
active interest in military affairs, was promoted to the rank of major
and generally was known as "Major Cooley." He married, May 14, 1808, Betsey
Norman, a daughter of John Norman, a Revolutionary soldier of Agawam, Mass.,
before his emigration to Bradford county. Their children were John N.,
Caleb W. (died at 11), Mary P. (Mrs. B. K. Adams), Jane E. (Mrs. Caleb
S. Burt) and Isaac A. For his second wife, he married Margaret, daughter
of Bela Kent, a Revolutionary soldier (p. 206), and had children, Rodney
H. and Maria M. (Mrs. James Allen). Major Cooley died Nov. 13, 1867.
George Hyde joined the settlers of Wells, 1808. He took
an active interest in public affairs, was some years a justice of the peace,
elected county auditor, 1818 and county commissioner, 1820. He subsequently
sold and removed from the county.
Zephaniah Knapp (b. Dec. 6, 1781, d. March 4, 1859) came from Orange county, N.Y. to Wells township about 1810. He passed through many and severe hardships in his struggle to establish a home in the wilderness. Often he was pursued by wolves when returning home after nightfall with a grist from Southport. He was noted for his industry, honesty and upright life. His wife, Amy, born Sept. 6, 1781, died April 15, 1857. Their children were Charles, Peter R., David G., Annanias W., Sheldon Z., Clarissa (Mrs.
M. M. Clark), Abner and James W.
Capt. Stephen Smith, who had served his country faithfully
in the Revolutionary war, came from Chenango county, N.Y. to Windham township,
1805. His grandson, Jared Smith, came to Windham the same year.
The latter built two saw-mills on the Wappusening, the first in the town.
The Smiths continued improvements until 1816 when they sold to Joseph Webster,
Captain Smith returning to New York state and Jared emigrating to Illinois.
Henry Hiney, a German, came from Canada to Sheshequin,
locating on the Bidlack place in or before 1808. He made and peddled brooms
and became blind. His wife is remembered as an ardent Baptist. Their children
were Timothy, Henry, William, George, Matthew, Christopher, Mrs. Cyrus
Wheeler and Mrs. Earl Wright.
Peter Barnard came to Sheshequin in or before 1809. He married
Roba, daughter of Abel Newell, and settled the Bird and Burton Gillett
place. He was a hard-working man and cleared a considerable part of his
farm. After the death of his wife he disposed of his property and removed
to Illinois where he died. His children were George, Julia, Sally, Polly,
Lucy and Martha. George went to Illinois; Julia married Calvin
Tuttle and Sally a Collins.
Thaddeus Hemenway, who had served with the Massachusetts troops five years in the Revolutionary war and took part in the battles of Stillwater, Newport, and Lake George, came to Sheshequin in or before 1812. He spent his last years in the Ghent neighborhood and Rome. The old patriot was fond of repeating the following:
"Hicks and Gibbs marched along from Watertown to glory;
Hemenway composed a song and Bump told hunting stories."
Mr. Hemenway died at Bumpville. His wife Lavina survived him some years.
Their children and marriages follow: Sarah to Gersham Towner; John
Deborah Gray; Joseph to Pamelia Shipman; Levi to Elizabeth
Brague; Lavina to Abraham Towner; William to Rachel _______.
Josiah White, a native of New Hampshire, while yet in
his teens, came to Litchfield in 1808. He cleared and improved a farm upon
which he died, 1878, aged 88 years. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.
He married Lutheda Watkins and had children, Charlotte W. (Mrs. Hayward),
Clarissa (Mrs. Vanduzer), Pamelia A. (Mrs. H. F. Maynard) and Lucretia
(Mrs. Martin Rogers).
David Williams, a native of Wales and blacksmith by occupation, located at Troy in or before 1812. He died at Alba, February 10, 1849. His wife was Rachel Hayden who died March 29, 1865. Their children were Harrison, Catherine, Edwin C., Lewis, Samuel and Olive.
Harrison married Sara Everett, had seven children, lived in Granville.
Catherine married Andrew Fitch of Granville and had six children.
Edwin C. (b. 1814, d. Oct. 1875) married Julia Ann (b. July 30, 1815), daughter of Ansel and Betsey (Case) Williams, had one child, Ansel D.
Lewis (b. Aug. 7, 1816, d. 1885) married Caroline McIntosh and had seven children.
Samuel (d. Dec. 25, 1865) married Eliza, daughter of John and Betsey (Cole) Clifton and had four children.
Olive married Jacob Linderman of Troy and had six children.
Walter S. Minthorn, a mechanic, located on Sugar Creek in 1812. He enlisted in the War of 1812 and lost a leg in the service. After his return he lived in Towanda for a time, during which, Nov. 25, 1815, his wife and two of their children were drowned by the sinking of a ferry-boat on which they were crossing the river. Minthorn spent his last days at North Rome where he manufactured bureaus and other household furniture.
He married for his second wife, Dorcas, daughter of Silas Cole. He died
Dec. 18, 1848, aged 64 years.
Jesse Woodruff, Towanda's first tailor, was born Nov. 26, 1790 in Bridgeton, N.J., being the youngest of ten children of Jesse Woodruff. He learned the tailor's trade in Philadelphia, then came to Wilkes-Barre where he worked a short time, thence took the stage for Towanda where he arrived on the 25th of November, 1812. He says: "I found a miserable looking place and wished myself back to Wilkes-Barre." The inhabitants of the village then were Wm. Means, Harry Spalding, Burr Ridgway, Adam Conley, Abijah Northrup, E. B. Gregory, Oliver Newell and the Watts family. He rented a log-house west of Mr. Gregory's for a tailor-shop and having received a liberal patronage says: "Before my quarter was up, I had got pretty well contented and purchased the lot and logs with it for $175." Mr. Woodruff continued business here several years and it is evident that he kept apace with the times from the following appearing in the Bradford Gazette under date of Aug. 9, 1813:
"Jesse Woodruff, tailor, respectfully informs the citizens of Towanda and vicinity, that he has commenced business opposite Mr. Gregory's and intends carrying on the tailoring business on an extensive scale and hopes by his workmanship and punctuality to merit a share of the public patronage."
After quitting the tailoring business, Mr. Woodruff built a hotel on the ground now occupied by the Chamberlain block. His place was known as the Tiger Hotel and was afterwards kept by Daniel Bartlett to whom he sold. He built a second hotel, the Bradford House, on the site of the old Reporter building and the Council rooms. This he sold to Ira H. Stephens then purchased a farm in North Towanda where he remained until 1863 when he went to Battle Creek, Michigan to live with a daughter. His death occurred September 29, 1880. "Uncle Jesse," as he was familiarly known was a man whose company was enjoyed by the youth and aged alike. He was genial, always ready to crack or enjoy a joke and especially apt in repartee. Among other pastimes, he enjoyed a game of checkers and became such an expert that his equal could hardly be found. He married, July 23, 1814, Mrs. Polly (Dobbins) Ballard of Burlington and had the following children: Celinda (Mrs.
Edward Young); Mary (Mrs. Isaac Kellum); Thomas P. died in California; Leroy died in Towanda; Ruth died in young womanhood.
Shepard Patrick, a native of Connecticut, married Catharine Goodwin of Kingston, Pa.
In 1812 he removed from the latter place to Wysox, purchasing the property opposite the brick church. Here he lived many years, finally sold and went to Illinois where he died. His children were:
Shepard G. educated at Jefferson college, read law with David Wilmot and admitted to the Bradford county bar, 1841; was a young man of fine natural abilities and an eloquent speaker; in the early 40's he went to Dixon, Ill., forming a partnership with Silas Noble, formerly of Towanda; during their association in business both were nominated for state senator, Patrick as a Democrat and Noble as a Whig, the latter was elected; Patrick accumulated considerable property, he married Phoebe Shaw and had five children.
Sophronia married Col. D. M. Bull of Towanda and had 5 children.
Mary Flower married Samuel Owen of Wysox and was the mother of 7 children.
William died unmarried, 1854 at Dixon, Ill.
Emily married John Thiers of Troy.
Samuel Hoyt, a native of Guilford, Conn., who had married Mary, daughter of Samuel Bartlett of Vermont; after the removal of the latter to Sheshequin, also came with his family in 1812. He was a cabinet maker and carpenter by occupation, being especially noted for his skill as a builder. He was the first mechanic in that section of the country to use the square in laying out his frame work; and when he put up his first building, the Snyder house, people came for miles around to see the frame. A large number of the houses and barns in the valley were constructed by him. Mrs. Hoyt was a celebrated tailoress and made fine suits for men. She was patronized from all the surrounding neighborhoods and so busy was she kept by plying the needle that she frequently had the aid of half a dozen assistants. Mr. Hoyt died Dec. 21, 1842, aged 73 years and 6 months. His wife died Aug. 9, 1849, aged 70 years and 5 months. Their children were:
Chlotilda married Obadiah Spalding.
Hannah M. married Samuel Marshall.
Statira, b. March 19, 1807, married Amos P. Spalding, d. July 28, 1855.
Samuel B. married 1st Flora Ames, 2nd Mrs. Matilda Angle, died in Athens.
Giles M., b. March 20, 1820, married Almira Green, died May 29,
1903 at Greens Landing.
Isaac Custer (Caster, Custard), a New Jersey Dutchman,
enlisted in April, 1777 from Sussex county as a private in the company
of Capt. William Holmes, Colonel Shreve's 2nd regiment of New Jersey troops
and served until December, 1778 when he was discharged at White Marsh,
Pa. Mr. Custer found his way into Bradford county about 1809, first settling
at Wyalusing. After some years he removed to Wysox where he died January
20, 1843, aged 90 years. By his wife Hannah he had children, General, William,
Darius, Isaac, Simeon and Temperance (Mrs. John Hall). Both Mr. and Mrs.
Custer rest in the Wysox cemetery.
George Bowen emigrated from Seekonk, Rhode Island to Warren
township, 1811. He cut the first tree on the farm which he cleared and
improved. For a number of years, he also operated a grist-mill and a saw-mill,
being one of the most prosperous pioneers. Four of his brothers, William,
Noah, Brown and Caleb followed him to Warren. He married Sarah Allen, who
died in 1858; he died, 1844. Their children were George W., Noah C., Allen,
Martha (Mrs. Henry T. Newman), Maria (Mrs. Josephus Sleeper), Nancy (Mrs.
Nathan Young), Lucinda (Mrs. Nelson Pratt), Jacob, Romanda (Mrs. Jesse
Newman), Joanna (Mrs. David Brainard), Mary (Mrs. Josephus Sleeper).
Scott -- "About the year 1750 Thomas Scott was kidnapped from his home in England and brought to America to prevent him inheriting a fortune. He was bound out for a term of years by the master of the ship to remunerate him for the expense of bringing young Scott over. It is learned from the records of the town clerk of Ashford, Windham county, Conn. that Thomas Scott, born 1744 and Sarah Hale, born 1748, were joined in marriage, February 16, 1769 and at the same time, Thomas Scott received a deed for six acres of land from one John Hale, supposed to be his father-in-law. In 1781 they removed to Halifax where they reared a family of ten children. Here, Thomas Scott died June 3, 1802 and his wife, February 27, 1805."
Asahel Scott, the fifth child of Thomas and Sarah Scott, was born July 2, 1768 at Ashford, Conn. He moved to Halifax with his parents and afterwards married Elizabeth Peck of New Hampshire. In 1810 they removed to Smithfield, then an almost unbroken wilderness
and took up land about three miles northeast of the village of Smithfield. This land was cleared and converted into one of the finest farms in the township. After the death of
Mr. Scott, the farm passed to his son Asahel and is still owned by members of the Scott family. Mr. Scott died Dec. 29, 1823 and his wife, born Aug. 29, 1772, died May 10, 1847. They reared a family of eight children who were among the most honored and respected residents of Smithfield. They were Asahel, Ansel, Aaron C., Benjamin P., Linda, Elmina, Celia and Eliza.
Asahel married Malinda Sherman of Springfield; died Feb. 9, 1867 at Turner Junction, Ill.; his wife died Aug. 6, 1882 in Springfield.
Ansel married Hope Pierce of Smithfield; died Nov. 13, 1870; she died July, 1870.
Aaron C. married Jane Parcel of Ithaca, N.Y.; lived in Smithfield.
Benjamin Peck married Mrs. Laura Brown; died Feb. 28, 1884 in Smithfield.
Linda married William I. Williams of Springfield: died Nov. 17, 1850.
Elmina married Davis Pierce of Smithfield; died Jan. 25, 1825.
Celia married Joseph Perkins of Smithfield; died March 1, 1876.
Eliza married Daniel Harkness of Springfield.
William Scott (not related to Asahel) was a native of Dutchess county, N.Y.
In April, 1778 he enlisted and served a term of nine months in Colonel Courtlandt's regiment of the New York line. He married Mary Stancliff of Kinderhook. In 1810 he and his son John, with their families, came from Milford, floating down the Susquehanna on a raft to Ulster, thence proceeded into the wilderness, settling two miles east of East Smithfield on the farm of now E. L. Scott. Since the settlement, the farm has remained in the Scott family, the original members of which "were strong Baptists, an honored and respected people, most of whom lived to a good old age." Mr. Scott died April 8, 1838, aged 89 and his wife, Aug. 26, 1839, aged 88. Both rest in the East Smithfield cemetery. They had ten children of whom the following are remembered: James, William, John, Thomas, Sally (Mrs. Eli Bose) and Celinda (Mrs. Jesse Pease).
John married Sally Beals of Milford, N.Y.; came to Smithfield,
1810 and died there, August 8, 1871; children and marriages follow: Bathsheba
Buckley Tracy, Smithfield; Thomas to Angeline Barber, Ledyard, N.Y.;
Caleb Adams, Smithfield; Levi B. to Sally Ann Miller, Ulster;
Ann to Mason Beals, Milford, N.Y.
William Watkins, b. February 29, 1752, a distinguished soldier of the Revolution, who fought at the battle of Bunker Hill, came from
Ashford, Conn. to Athens township about 1810. He soon after purchased in Smithfield where he lived a few years then returned to Athens and died Nov. 17, 1828 at Green's Landing. Major Watkins, as he was popularly known, married Lois Jennings, who died July 30, 1851, aged 91 years. Their children were John, Oliver, William, Amasa and Anna.
John, b. January 6, 1789, came to Bradford county with his father; was a merchant, hotel keeper and farmer at Green's Landing where he died March 23, 1869; married 1st, April 11, 1813, Betsey Green, 2nd, Dec. 22, 1840, Mrs. Mary Green; children and marriages: Lymnia to Anthony Snell; Matilda to Lorenzo Watkins; John to Mary Proudfoot; Betsey 1st to Israel Stone, 2nd to Charles Westbrook; Amasa 1st to Rachel Huff, 2nd to Rhoda Welton, 3rd to Elizabeth Welton; Roxanna to John Huff; Miner to Helen Roberts; Seth to Christine London; Horace to Ruby Keeney; Francis 1st to Annette Cortright, 2nd to Mrs. Anna C. English.
Oliver married Roxanna Kelly of Smithfield.
William married Elizabeth Mitchell of Smithfield.
Amasa died at the age of 16 years.
Anna married J. Olmstead Tracy of Smithfield.
Phelps -- William Phelps, the progenitor of the family
in America, a native of Tewksbury, England, came over in the ship Mary
and John of Winthrop's fleet "to begin in good earnest the peopling
of Boston and vicinity." The ship left Plymouth, March 20, 1630 with 140
passengers and arrived on the New England coast, May 30th following. They
were landed at Nantucket, but soon made their way to a good location and
founded a town which they named Dorchester, now South Boston. In October,
1635, William Phelps started with his family to unite with those who under
the leadership of Thomas Hooker were about to lay the foundations of the
State of Connecticut. He had already been one of the first explorers to
prospect for the new settlement and was one with seven others to whom the
General Court of Massachusetts committed the sole administration of the
affairs of the new plantation for one year. From this time on his time
and energies seem to have been devoted almost entirely to the public interests
of the colony. After living at Windsor 36 years, he died there, July 14,
1672 in his 73rd year. John Phelps, of the fourth generation from William,
removed from Windsor to Hebron, Conn.
Maj. Jared Phelps of the sixth generation from William was born October 15, 1760 at Windsor, Conn. He served in the Revolutionary war, enlisting in the company of Captain William Judd, 3rd
regiment Connecticut line, 25th March, 1777, for three years; appointed fife major, April 19, 1779; mustered out March 25, 1780; re-enlisted July 25, 1781 as a fife major. He served under the immediate command of General Washington and participated in the various campaigns and battles with him. A descendant says: "Even now I can recall the mixed feeling of wonder and awe that came over me, though a mere boy, when father told me how he had often heard his grandfather (Major Phelps) say, "that he had seen Washington, frequently, when retired from camp, praying for God's blessing on his country.'"
Major Phelps married, Sept. 23, 1784, Rowena Fuller. In 1804, he removed to Becket, Mass. and there resided until 1811 when he came with his family to Smithfield, Bradford county. "They traveled with two yoke of oxen and a common cart, arriving late in the fall of 1811. Soon after, his daughter Mary died and was buried under the trees of the forest." The next year the Phelps family, with others of the same faith, began to look around for a church location. After viewing a number of hilltops (which then were considered the most proper location for a church), an offer was made by Major Phelps of two acres for a Congregational church and burying ground, provided the settlers would help build the church. They agreed to it and within a year, a neat little framed house was erected and paid for, but for 20 years it remained without regular seats. Around this house and lot grew up the present village of East Smithfield. Major Phelps was not only a steadfast member of the Congregational church but a prominent and honored personage in all the military gatherings held in Smithfield and adjoining towns in early days. His death occurred Aug. 13, 1827 and that of his wife, May 14, 1842. Their children were John, Rowena, Jared, Ralph, Mary, Sarah, Augustus, Wealthy, William and Henry.
John came to Smithfield with his father; married Phebe Smith and about 1830 removed to Liberty, N.Y. Their children were Jared, Polly, Alma, J. Milton, Rachel, Sarah, Collins, Perly, Jane, Maria and Wealthy Ann. Several of the daughters were married and settled in Smithfield; other children located at Liberty, Tioga county.
Jared, who served in the army of occupation on the northern border of New York, upon returning to Becket and finding that his father had removed, shouldered his knapsack again and followed them on foot and alone to Smithfield. This way of traveling suited him so well that he kept up his pedestrian tramps back and forth till very late in life.
He married Eliza Hackett and had children, Darius B., Asa H., Harmon A., Eliza, Rowena, Dudley G., Jared, Jacob E. and Mary.
Mr. Phelps died Aug. 27, 1869 in Smithfield. His son, Jacob E., served 3 years as a member of Co. F, 6th Pa. Reserves, Civil War.
Rowena married at Becket, George Thomas and was the mother of 10 children; died September 18, 1862.
Ralph (b. Dec. 20, 1790, d. Feb. 28, 1876) came to Smithfield with his father, selected a farm, then returned East and earned money to pay for it; married Esther Rudd of Becket and came to Smithfield where he lived till the end of his life. They had four children:
Fanny L. married Thomas B. Howland, died Dec. 16, 1898 in Smithfield; Cyrus, b. December 8, 1822, d. June 16, 1843, unmarried; Mary married James Doty of Smithfield; Charles Henry entered the Union army as a member Co. K, 141st P. V. and served three years; actively engaged in the ministry 13 years; is unmarried and lives in retirement in Smithfield.
Mary, b. Oct. 4, 1792, died Dec. 3, 1811 in Smithfield.
Sarah, b. Feb. 19, 1795, d. Jan. 7, 1802.
Augustus (b. Nov. 19, 1796, d. May 14, 1876) came to Smithfield with his parents; inherited the homestead; was a worthful and highly esteemed citizen, being a justice of the peace 25 years. He married Oct. 19, 1820, Abigail Hackett and had children who married as follows: Lucelia to Rev. C. C. Corss; William H. to Mary D. Bacon; Abigail M. to A. E. Child; John W. to Lizzie Child; Clarissa O. to Horace Niles; Martha J. to John Bird; Susan never married; Laura never married; Augustus twice married.
Wealthy (b. Oct. 10, 1801, d. 1884), married Gordon Wilcox of Smithfield and had three sons, Orion, Sevellon H. and Gordon Taylor, the last named being killed, battle of Chancellorsville, Civil War.
William came to Smithfield with his parents and married, Jany. 1, 1832, Harriet E. Tuttle. They had 15 children; six sons, Marcus D., Albert O., Elmer, Birdsey T., Victor E. and Delaun, served in the Union army, all but the last two losing their lives.
Henry, b. Aug. 7, 1806, married, May 27, 1837, Phebe Wheeler
of Smithfield and had children: Victoria married Dorrance Tracy;
with distinction in Co. 4, 6th Pa. Reserves, Civil War, many years a justice
of the peace, twice married; Edith M. married George Webb.
William Webber, soldier of the Revolutionary war, enlisted, 1775 in the company of Capt. Joseph Thompson in the regiment commanded by Col. John Nixon, served one year and was discharged at Morristown, N.J.; again enlisted under Captain Williams in Colonel Grayton's regiment and served nine months. As early as 1796 he was living on upper Sugar Creek and subsequently became one of the
pioneers of Columbia where he evidently died. He was one of the original
members of the Columbia Baptist church. In 1822, he was 64 years old and
besides a son, William, of age, his family consisted of his wife, aged
54 years, three daughters under age and a son 13 years old.
William Pepper was a descendant of Henry Pfeffer (Pepper) who emigrated from Rotterdam to Philadelphia in 1769. His son, George, who was a celebrated financier, was succeeded by three generations of noted physicians, the Drs. William Pepper.
William Pepper came to North Towanda in or before 1804, settling the Keene place.
In 1820, he sold to Elisha Carpenter and afterwards removed to Franklin township where he died in January, 1858 at an advanced age. His wife was Amy, daughter of Eason Bagley who died a short time before her husband. Their children and marriages follow:
Eason to Widow Andress; Decatur to Emily E. Landon; Terry
to Betsy Brague; William to Sally Parks; Stephen to Deborah
Loomis; James went West and died in Michigan; Amos settled
in McKean county, Pa.; Rachel to Payne Shoemaker; Nancy to
Jesse Wilcox; Marinda to Hosea Haxton.
Jedediah Atwood in March, 1778 enlisted in the company
of Captain Coon, attached to Colonel Buell's regiment of New York troops
and served until February, 1779 when he was discharged at Ticonderoga.
In or before the year 1804, he came to Wysox and apparently spent his last
years there. In 1825 he was 77 years old, wife dead, and he living with
a son-in-law. John, Joseph and Lemuel Atwood were of this family.
Isaac Howe was one of the "Green Mountain" patriots who
supplied the American army in the vicinity of Bennington and Ticonderoga
with lead which he drew to camp in an ox-cart. He was born Dec. 16, 1743
and married Nov. 22, 1764 to Mary Cande. In February, 1808, he removed
with his family from West Haven, Rutland county, Vermont to Orwell, where
he died Aug. 21, 1825 in his 82nd year. His wife, b. June 10, 1744, died
Oct. 14, 1812 in her 69th year. Both are buried in the East Orwell cemetery.
Their children were Uriah, b. Oct. 10, 1766, twice married and had
children Sally (Mrs. John S. Beers), Pearly (Mrs. Uriah Brown), Lucy (Mrs.
Daniel Robinson) and Earl (married Julia Ann Dennison), died in Orwell;
April 6, 1769, went West; Mary, b. March 26, 1771.
John Hill, a native of Massachusetts and mechanic by occupation, removed to Owego with his family in 1794 and in 1812 settled in Orwell where he and his wife Rhoda both died at advanced ages in the 1830's. Their children, all of whom grew up were
Samuel H., Hannah, Sullivan, Harvey, John H., Lucy, Parny, Chester and Chauncey (twins), Tryphena and Daniel.
Samuel H. died in Orwell, 1853, survived by his wife, Eliza, and children Sabrian, Samantha, Sarah and Samuel W.
John H. had a family, died 1864 in Orwell.
Daniel was a soldier, War of 1812.
Chester was a soldier, War of 1812; he married Dolly Fox (p.
1) and had children, Eliza (Mrs. James Higgins), Cornelia (Mrs. David Nichols),
George S., Chloe (Mrs. J. O. Frost), Lavina (Mrs. Edwin Allis), Chauncy,
Almira (Mrs. Ebenezer Snell), Susan A. (Mrs. Harlow Buttles), Orrin and
Emeline (Mrs. Nehemiah Neal); Mr. Hill died Feb. 23, 1879, aged 87 and
his wife, May 19, 1891, aged 95 years and 8 mos., there being at her death,
88 great-grandchildren and 5 great-great-grandchildren.
Benham -- Jehial Benham, a Revolutionary soldier of New Hartford, Conn., married Lydia Cadwell and had children, Josiah, Amanda, Phebe, Jehial, Lydia, Deborah, Allen, Diantha, Trumbull and Sophronia. Amanda married a Mr. Moore of Conn.; Phebe married Abijah Moore of Conn.; Jehial married Laura Spencer of Conn.; Lydia married Simeon Johnson of Orwell, Pa.; Deborah married 1st a Mr. Goodwin, 2nd Gideon Henderson of Conn.; Allen married Miss Kellogg of New Hartford; Diantha married Norman Spencer of Conn.; Sophronia married Joel Johnson of Orwell, Pa.
Josiah Benham, eldest son of Jehial and Lydia (Cadwell) Benham, came from New Hartford, Conn., locating at LeRaysville in or before 1812. He purchased and improved a farm and also engaged in merchandising for a time. Mr. Benham married 1st Elizabeth Johnson and had children, Correll, Polly and Fanny; married 2nd Polly Kellogg of New Hartford and had children Charlotte, Caroline and James; children married as follows:
Correll to Parmelia Dickerson, Windham; Polly to Mr. Thompson, LeRaysville; Fanny to David Becker, LeRaysville; Charlotte to Lyman Whittemore, Union, N.Y.; Caroline to Andrew Beardsley, LeRaysville; James to Eliza Smith, LeRaysville; Mr. Benham died Jan. 25, 1870, aged 90 years and 4 1/2 months, and his wife, Polly, Dec. 25, 1858, aged 71.
Trumbull Benham, youngest brother of Josiah, who was a
blacksmith by occupation, established the first shop in LeRaysville. He
was born, Aug. 10, 1802 and married Sophronia Stone, born Feby. 17, 1803
of Burlington, Hartford county, Conn. They had three children of whom only
Harriet N. (Mrs. G. W. Brink), a bright and interesting lady in her 84th
year, is living.