|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
Dr. Darius Bullock, the most noted man of pioneer days in Smithfield, was born July 20, 1791 at Halifax, Vt. His father, Darius Bullock, was for many years a member of the Vermont legislature and
one of the most prominent men in Halifax, highly respected and honored by various public offices, covering a period of half a century.
Darius Bullock came to Smithfield as a practicing physician in October, 1812. He came all the way from Vermont on horseback and his whole estate on arriving in the new country consisted of a horse, saddle-bag, a pill-bag, four or five dollars worth of medicine and $2.50 in cash. Not really his whole estate, indeed, it was an insignificant part of it, for he was then rich in the treasures of a well-balanced mind, a tenacious memory, a good moral character and untiring habits of industry and economy. At the time of Dr. Bullock's advent into Smithfield, a wilderness of huge beech, pine, maple and hemlock trees covered the hills and valleys, except here and there an open patch of ground with a log hut among the big stumps as residences of the pioneer settlers. As the inhabitants were few, the profession of medicine was not a lucrative one; and to eke a scanty income, he kept school for several seasons, visiting his patients before and after school hours--school then being kept 5 1/2 days in the week. His field of practice extended from Columbia to Athens, a distance of 20 miles, and, indeed, ten or twelve miles in any direction from his home with an occasional call from greater distances. From the lack of roads, it was often necessary to make his visits on foot. Frequently, he was called to visit his patients in the darkness of night and would go miles on foot through an almost pathless woods infested with bears and hungry, howling wolves; neither were the panther and catamount then unknown.
It is related of Dr. Bullock when he came to Smithfield, one of the poormasters, a quaint character, noticing the doctor's scanty belongings and thinking he was liable to become a town charge, ordered him to leave. The doctor, however, remained, was the architect of a fine fortune, and lived to see the man, who was anxious to drive him from the town, laid in a pauper's grave.
During the first years of his residence in Smithfield, he boarded with Mr. Mitchell and then with James Satterlee, till thinking it time to prepare a habitation of his own, he married Miss Polly Satterlee, purchased a parcel of ground at East Smithfield and erected a house, mostly with his own hands. In those days, very little money was in circulation; business was done mostly by barter and doctor's bills were generally paid in that way.
The doctor was a man of great energy and enterprise. With a view of starting a town, he opened a store and hotel on the "turnpike." But the enterprise not meeting his expectations, he gave it up and returned to East Smithfield. He was never idle and withal was a diligent student. He decided to add the practice of law to that of medicine and engaged himself in reading Blackstone whenever opportunity afforded. Although practically his own teacher with few books, by diligently improving his time, he acquired a good knowledge of the law and May 12, 1819 was admitted to practice in the several courts of Bradford county. We now find the doctor with a severer task on his hands than ever before. He must attend to the sick on the hills and in the woods and be at the courts in Towanda--a distance of 12 miles by the nearest course. His horse was needed on his farm and besides it was not an easy matter in those times to pay for keeping a person and a horse at a hotel during the week of court. Accordingly, he often went on foot to Towanda and not infrequently during the week returned to Smithfield, visited his sick patients, going back to Towanda in the morning. Leather was not then made here and, being brought from a distance, was very expensive. Hence, men and women, as well as children, were often to be seen at their work barefooted; and frequently when going from home, they carried their shoes in their hands to save so much of the wear of them, and put them on when they
(Illustration of Dr. Darius Bullock)
arrived at the place to which they were going. Tradition says that the doctor was wont in this manner to save his shoes in traveling back and forth to attend the sessions of court.
It is even said that sometimes he did not own shoes fit to wear in the courtroom and was thus compelled to borrow of some of his neighbors. In 1822 he was elected County Commissioner for a term of three years.
He was deputy attorney-general for the county during the years 1824, '25, '26, '27 and '28. He held the office of Prothonotary by appointment of Governor Wolf from 1830 to '31.
In 1835 he was chosen State Representative. In 1857, Judge Wilmot, having accepted the Republican nomination for Governor, resigned as president judge of the district, whereupon Governor Pollock, August 8th, appointed Darius Bullock to fill the vacancy, his commission to expire on the first Monday of December following.
For nearly half a century, Dr. Bullock was a sort of factotum in Smithfield. Mortgages, deeds, notes, wills and other legal instruments had to be either written by him or pass under his inspection. He possessed an uncommon versatility of genius. Very few men are competent to know so many things and do them so well as he did. His information was extensive on a great variety of subjects; and his knowledge of the history and other affairs of the county was scarcely equaled by that of any other man. He contributed many articles to the Mental Luminary and Literary Leaves and also wrote much for the county papers. The articles from his pen were always instructive and entertaining, frequently amusing. He would have been no mean poet had he given his attention in early life to the muse. He always took a deep interest in the literary societies of the place and all things that tended to advance his people mentally and morally. In the days of the old military trainings, he was one of the most active and was commissioned general. From this fact, he was known as "General Bullock."
Doctor Bullock was a man of exalted character, who earned his way to fame and fortune by indomitable industry, frugality and honesty in his dealings with all men. He continued in the practice of medicine and law and also conducted a mercantile business, almost to the close of his life. His mind remained bright and active to the last.
His beloved wife, Polly, with whom he had lived in sweetest harmony for almost half a century, died April 29, 1863 in her 71st year. He survived her 14 years, his death occurring at East Smithfield, November 15, 1877. Darius and Polly Bullock had no children and there is no heritage to claim their good name, but their memory will be cherished and handed down the generations.
John Peter Gernert, a German, who had married Ann, daughter of Andrew Budd (I-120), evidently came with or soon after his father-in-law to Tioga Point. He lived in that neighborhood until the settlement of Columbia township when he moved there, being one of the first pioneers. After having established a home and become seemingly prosperous, he made a trip West which was the last ever known of him. His nine children became prosperous and useful men and women; they were Polly, Kate, William, Andrew, Barbara, Armenda, Casper, Sally and Solomon Clay.
William married Deborah, daughter of Nathaniel Clapp, Sr. of Athens, cleared several farms in Columbia township where he died, 1868, aged 84 years.
His children were Esther Ann, William Henry, Nathaniel A., John P. and Stephen G.
Andrew married Harriet ______, died in Columbia, 1859.
Casper married Mary Ann ______, died in Columbia, 1866.
Solomon C. married Harriet _______ and lived in Columbia.
John McClelland, a native of Ireland and patriot of the Revolution, came from Orange county, N.Y. to Columbia township with his family, 1807-'8. Here he engaged in clearing and improving a farm until his death, Nov. 16, 1821 at the age of 62. He had married in Orange county, Anna Maria Weller, their children being Hieronymus, Martha, John W., Frederick, Margaret, Andrew, Mary Ann, Peter, William G. and Eleanor Jane.
Hieronymus enlisted in the War of 1812 and was killed in battle; was unmarried and 31 years old.
Martha married James Harkness of Springfield.
John W. married Polly, daughter of Wm. Harkness of Springfield, died in Columbia, 1851; their children were John, James, Levi, Miles, Newton, Elsie Ann, Eliza and Ann Maria.
Frederick married Dorcas Carr, died in Canton, 1859; their children were Hieronymus, Edward, Polly (Mrs. Smith), Martha (Mrs. Webster), Sally, Reuben W., George and
C. C. McClelland.
Margaret married James Morgan of Columbia.
Andrew married Eliza Sawyer, died 1836 in Columbia, survived by his wife, sons and daughters.
Mary Ann married Samuel Frisby of Canton.
Peter married Barbara, daughter of John Peter Gernert, died in Columbia, 1873.
Their children were Casper G., Sally Jane (Mrs. Furman), Ann Eliza (Mrs. Berry), Margaret M. (Mrs. Freace) and Aminta B. (Mrs. Watkins).
William G. married Maria, daughter of Elnathan Goodrich and lived in Columbia.
Eleanor Jane married Ebin Pierce.
Oliver Besley, a French Huguenot, emigrated with his family from New York to Columbia township, settling near Austinville, 1812. He cleared and improved a farm where he died, 1844. He had married Rhoda Westbrook, their children being John W., Isaac, Elias, Susan (Mrs. Bateman Monroe), Sophia (Mrs. James Fries), Althea (Mrs. Peter S. Furman), Mary Ann (Mrs. Wm. Strait) and Catherine (Mrs. Jacob Fries).
John W. married Hettie M., daughter of Obadiah Swayze, lived and died in Columbia; their children were Oliver B., John and Gabe C.
Isaac married Rebecca, daughter of David Watkins, lived and died in Columbia; their children were Oliver O., Philo W., George N., Clayton O., Polly (Mrs. Elnathan McClelland), Ada (Mrs. Albert Campbell) and Esther A. (Mrs. Wm. H. McClelland).
John Benson, a native of Vermont, in December, 1776 enlisted under Capt. Amasa Soper in the regiment of Colonel Marshall of the Massachusetts line and served until during the year 1780 when he was honorably discharged. He was a turner by occupation. In or before the year 1812 he emigrated with his family to Columbia township and there spent the remainder of his days, enjoying the benefits of a pension. He died in 1826, aged 67 years and is buried at Rutland, Tioga county. His wife was Sibyl Briggs and their children, Isaac, John, Eunice (Mrs. Hathaway), David, Sylvenus and Silvester. Isaac and John were soldiers in the War of 1812.
David R. Haswell came from Vermont to Columbia, settling in the northern part of the town, 1807-'8. He was one of the founders of the Columbia-Wells Baptist church and long a deacon and clerk.
Sheldon Gibbs, a basket maker, settled in Columbia, 1809. In 1815 he built the first distillery in the town on the Lilley place. He sold to John Humphrey, 1819 and removed to other parts.
Alphonsus C. Stewart came to Towanda, 1812 to practice law. He built a house on the corner of Lombard and Main streets, which he sold, 1816 to Charles F. Welles and removed to Illinois. He married the widow of John Miller of Athens. At Belleville in 1819 he was decoyed into a sham duel by one Timothy Bennett. Blank cartridges were to be fired, but Bennett secretly put a ball into his pistol and with it killed Stewart. The coward left the country, but was arrested after a couple years, tried, convicted and hung for murder.
Ezekiel Griffis was one of the five sons of Abner Griffis, a patriot of the Revolution and early settler of Jessup, Susquehanna county. He came to Towanda in 1812 as a school teacher and taught several terms in the neighborhood. In 1814 he married Keturah, a young lady who never knew her name, brought up in the family of Wm. Means.
He removed to Rummerfield Creek, Standing Stone, 1829, where he died, May 1, 1861, aged 78 years. His wife, Keturah, b. March 22, 1794, died Sept. 1887. They had two children, William and Celinda E.
William, b. February 10, 1815 in the "old Red tavern," considering his limited education of only six weeks in the public schools, was a very remarkable man. He says, "I learned to cipher and liked it,"
and sure enough, he became an expert in knotty political problems and for many years was one of the greatest factors of the Republican party in Bradford county. He was the trusted friend of the Camerons, who never forgot his favors. Mr. Griffis filled the offices of county treasurer and sheriff and for many years held a position in Washington. He died in Towanda, February 26, 1908, aged 93. His wife, Elizabeth Stone, b. Dec. 11, 1813, died Dec. 26, 1900.
Celinda E. married Elijah D. Montanye of Towanda.
George Pendleton, a native of Westerly, R.I., was a seaman and followed the business of fitting up sailing vessels. Not desiring his sons to engage in the same calling and being impressed with the opportunities in the new country, he purchased a tract of land in Warren township and removed thereto with his family from Norwich, Conn. in 1812.
He did not long enjoy his new surroundings. During an epidemic of fever, he was stricken and died early in 1814, aged 46 years. Mr. Pendleton had married, 1792, Deborah Babcock who reared a notable family of nine sons and daughters; they were Deborah, George, John, William, Betsy B., Nathan, Charles, Andrew and Eunice Ann.
Deborah married William Arnold (I--304) and was the mother of 14 children.
George, b. 1795, married, 1824, Eliza Pitcher, died, 1879 in Warren; children and marriages follow: G. Lafayette to Phebe Russell; Eliza C. to Seth Cook; F. Sabrina to Joseph Rutherford; Daniel E. to Hannah Lord; M. Amelia died at 23 unmarried;
M. Winslow died at 23 unmarried; E. Frazier to Esther Chaffee; Betsy E. to Wm. H. Boyle.
John died of fever, 1814, aged 20 years.
William, b. 1798, married, 1823, Caroline Pitcher, died, 1877; their children and marriages: B. Lucretia to Samuel B. Chaffee; C. Harriet to Stephen G. Chaffee;
M. Loretta died at 16 years; J. Monroe to Nancy Abell; C. Franklin to Martha Bowen; Abel M. to Adaline E. Newman; W. Loren to Emma J. Pitcher; Gurdon E. to Frances A. Brown; H. Wolcott to Nettie Dimon.
Betsy B., b. 1800, married, 1819, Seneca Allyn; their children and marriages: Seneca L.; Jonathan W.; Charles H.; Jacob S. to Sarah Abell; Edwin E. to Mary L. Lyons; Samuel Nelson; Joanna C. to Amaziah Abell; Caroline E.
Nathan, b. 1802, married, 1829, Cynthia, daughter of Preserved Buffington, died 1878; their children and marriages: N. Newell to Eliza Walson; L. Jenks to Sarah M. Hakes; George L. to Eliza J. Arnold; Cynthia A. died at 22 unmarried; Benjamin B. to Elpha L. Newman; Sarah M. to Thomas B. Allyn.
Charles, b. 1804, married, 1831, Aurelia Buffington, died, 1887; their children and marriages: J. Luther to Anna L. Weed; Alice C.; H. Harrison to Charlotte Baldwin; Catalena to Rev. Sherman Chubbuck; C. Edwin.
Andrew, b. 1807, married, 1834, Charlotte, daughter of Luther Buffington, died, 1861; their children and marriages: Angeline M. to L. Porter Root; Mary E. to Abel Arnold; Evaline A. to Nathaniel Wheaton; Joseph A. to Cora Frisbie; Nathan W. to Margaret Pendleton.
Eunice Ann, born 1810, married Edwin E. Allyn, died 1885; their children and marriages: Harriet M. to Geo. W. DePew; B. Lucinda to James M. DePew; Eunice Ann to Henry J. Bowen.
Dolton Family -- John Dolton came to Wysox with his family in or before 1811, settling on the Little Wysox above the Schultz place, his location being known as "Dolton Hollow." In the family there were Henry, John Jr., Charles, Simon, Elizabeth, Anna, Harriet, Peggy and Jemima. Three of the sisters, Elizabeth, Harriet and Jemima married respectively John, Hiram and Moses, sons of Isaac Vargason; Peggy married Stephen Merithew. Henry Dolton was drowned during a freshet in the spring of 1833, while crossing the creek near his home. The family removed West in 1835.
Thomas B. and Richard Beebe, tradesmen, came to Wysox in 1811. November 29, 1813, Thomas advertises in the Bradford Gazette: "For Sale--Saddles, harnesses, portmanteaus, bridles, lines, and shoes warranted; the above articles will be sold cheap and terms of payment made easy; the subscriber will warrant the articles to be of the first quality of leather and well made." One of the Beebes manufactured chairs and large spinning wheels. His shop stood on the brink of the hill, south of the Myersburg church. Thomas was one of the original members of the Wysox Baptist church; he became a deacon and licentiate, and afterwards actively engaged in the ministry. He died, 1840, at South Livonia, N.Y. in his 58th year.
Benjamin Dresser, a distiller, came to Wysox in 1812. He married Mary, daughter of Jesse Allen and had children, Charles, William, Elizabeth and Mary (Mrs. Henry S. Allis). He had an improvement on the State Road which passed into the hands of Mr. Myer. Mrs. Dresser died on the place and he spent his last days with his daughter, Mrs. Allis.
John Brown, who had married Jane Miller, sister of Mrs. Samuel Cranmer and Daniel Miller (p. 19), between 1795 and '98, left New Jersey with his wife and two sons, Aaron and Samuel to find their relatives
in the new country of the West. Mr. Brown was taken sick and died on the road, the widow coming on to Monroe with the children. She afterwards married Peter Edsall and had children, John, Mary (Mrs. Libeus Marcy) and Jane (Mrs. Jeremiah Blackman). Edsall having deserted her, she moved into Albany with her sons.
Samuel, b. March 14, 1795, married Martha, daughter of Matthias Vanloon, died in Albany, 1870; their children were Thomas, Jane (Mrs. E. E. Estell), Ellen (Mrs. Fred Schrader), Aaron, John, Elizabeth (Mrs. J. H. Lewis), Lorinda (Mrs. Joseph Campbell), Lou (Mrs. S. S. Ormsby) and William.
Aaron settled in Sullivan county and died there.
Nathan Fellows, one of the original members of the Smithfield Congregational church, came with Samuel Kellogg and others to Smithfield in 1801. He remained here only a couple of years, then removed to Sugar Creek, leaving the county before 1812.
Alvin Stocking located in Smithfield in or before 1803. He made the first improvements and built a house on the Fred Williams place. Here he died in the fall of 1817. For the want of proper facilities, a bier was constructed and the remains carried a distance of four miles and buried in Union cemetery at Smithfield Center. He left children, Alvin, Sally J., Lorry A. and John. In 1820, letters were granted to Alvin Stocking and Alvin Joslyn upon the estate. The family soon after moved away.
Constant Williams from Williamstown, Mass., located in Smithfield, 1804. He sold his improvements, 1817, to Jabez L. Gerould and removed West.
Noah Ford and Elias Needham came from Cooperstown, N. Y. to Smithfield, 1807. Ford and wife, Nabby, conveyed their improvements to Cyril Fairman, 1815, and Needham and wife, Betsey, theirs to William Wilkerson, 1816. Both families moved away about the same time.
David Titus from Becket, Mass., located in Smithfield about 1809. He was an active member and Clerk of the Smithfield Baptist church. His death occurred, 1812 at the age of 38 years. He left children, Ebenezer, Isaac, Lucy, Polly, Jesse, Joseph and Rowena. His wife, Miranda, afterward married a Mr. Randall.
Asa Hackett, a native of Colerain, Mass., removed to Smithfield with his family, 1811-'12. He was twice married, 1st to Eliza Hammond, 2nd to Keziah Thomas, both of Colerain. He was a gentleman of splendid character and long a deacon in both the Baptist and Disciple church.
He died, 1847, aged 75 and his wife, Keziah, May 5, 1843, aged 76 years and 19 days. Their children, all of whom married and died in Smithfield: Peleg to 1st Lucy ______, to 2nd Maria Pratt of Canton; Elisha to Polly Phelps; Eliza to Jared Phelps, Jr.; Lucy to Ezra Wood; Abigail to Augustus Phelps; Sally to 1st Nathan Wood, to 2nd Jonathan Wood.
Zephaniah Eames came from Becket, Mass. to Smithfield, 1807. He was an active member and deacon in the Congregational church. He and his wife, Diantha, conveyed their title to Hezekiah Peck, 1818 and removed from the town.
Abner W. Ormsby was another Smithfield settler who came from Becket, Mass. in 1807. He cleared and improved a farm upon which both he and his wife died at advanced ages. He was a noted hunter, as was his son, Levi D. Ormsby, after him.
George Hadlock (Headlock) from Vermont joined the pioneer settlement in Litchfield, 1808. He improved and owned a large amount of land. He died, 1848, survived by his wife, Lydia, and children, Jonathan, Elias, Sally (Mrs. Merithew), Cynthia (Mrs. Washburn), Charlotte (Mrs. Drake), Elizabeth (Mrs. Washburn), Lucy, John, Charles and Russell.
Levi Preston, a native of Vermont, who served five years in the Revolutionary war, settled in Troy township, 1812. He was born July 7, 1760 and died Jany. 1, 1849, his remains resting in the Hunt cemetery. He married Martha ______ in Vermont and had children, Colburn, Eben, Levi and Sylvelus. Colburn, who married Sallie Webber, was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Jesse Morse, a native of Connecticut, born Jany. 8, 1770, emigrated to Towanda Creek, settling in LeRoy township, 1805. Here he engaged in farming until the time of his death, Sept. 8, 1847. His wife, Perris Stone, b. Feby. 16, 1772, died June 29, 1848. She was a sister of Benjamin Stone, Sr. (I-327) and their brother Reuben was the father of Josiah F., Sepha, Henry B. and Mahala Stone. Susanna Stone of Sturbridge, Mass. died, 1815 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jesse Morse, in LeRoy, aged 86 years. The children of Jesse and Perris Morse, who married as follows, were Perley to Lucy Holcomb; Sallie to Alpha Stone; Sibyl to Philo Wooster; Ziba to 1st Ruth A. Beardslee, 1827, to 2nd Mary Minard, March 11, 1839; Julian to Philo Wooster, being 2nd wife; Susan to David Morse; Sullivan to Phebe Bailey.
Eason Bagley came to Burlington in or before 1812 where he remained a few years then
removed to East Canton. Here he died and afterwards his wife Esther in 1862. Of their children: Amy married William Pepper; James married Joanna Strickland (I-151) and had a son Warren and a daughter, Maryetta (Mrs. Vroman); William was evidently another son.
John Chandler came to the Athens district before 1812. He located finally at North Ghent in Sheshequin where he died. His children were Andrew, Charles, John, Nathaniel, Robert, Stephen V., Polly (Mrs. John Moore), Betsy (Mrs. Ira Tompkins) and Mrs. George Hicks.
Isaac I. Low, a blacksmith and nailer by trade, came to Sheshequin about 1812 and pursued the former occupation. In 1836 he removed to Athens village where he died.
He married Catharine, daughter of John C. Forbes and had children, Martha (Mrs. Spencer Elson), Polly, John Christian Forbes, Isaac, Luther, Sarah (Mrs. James Wilson) and Olive (Mrs. Henry Hewett). John C. F., known as "Forbes Low," was a noted huntsman and waterman.
Nathan Payson, a native of Windham county, Conn., came to Orwell, 1809, selected a piece of woodland and at once commenced clearing same. In the fall he returned to Connecticut and Feby. 1, 1810 married Miss Betsey Sharp of Pomfret. The following spring, they commenced their life-struggles together in their new home in the wilderness. Their part in the community was performed faithfully and well and their closing days spent in peace and plenty. Mr. Payson, b. Dec. 20, 1780, died July 22, 1868; his wife,
b. Sept. 22, 1784, died May 5, 1873. Their children and marriages follow:
Lucy Ann, b. Nov. 3, 1810, married Eliphalet Warfield and moved to Michigan.
Alice Lucetta, b. Nov. 3, 1812, married Horace Lounsbury of Nichols, N.Y., died
April 19, 1876.
Sabra Emeline, b. June 30, 1814, married Horace Lounsbury of Nichols, N.Y.
John Wilkes, b. April 19, 1816, married 1st Perintha Bronson, 2nd Elizabeth Alger,
had 5 children; died July 20, 1882.
Loana Frances, b. Dec. 25, 1818, died Aug. 27, 1853.
Asa Bishop, b. April 13, 1821, married Fanny Beardslee of LeRaysville, had 5 children.
William Pitt, b. April 7, 1825, married Achsah Webster of Windham, had 13 children, occupied the homestead.
Nathan Bostwick, a patriot of the Revolution, enlisted Dec. 20, 1775 in Captain Brown's company in the regiment commanded by Col.
John Durkee and served in same until Dec. 31, 1776; January 1, 1777 was commissioned an ensign in Capt. Eleazer Warner's company in the regiment commanded by Col. Herman Swift of the Connecticut line and served until Nov. 15, 1777 when he was discharged at White Marsh, Pa. on account of the state of his health. Mr. Bostwick early joined the Pike settlement, locating on the farm afterwards owned by David Becker. Here he died in the autumn of 1829, aged 82 years. He enjoyed the benefits of a pension in his last years. He had a considerable family who moved away soon after his death. One of his sons was John Bostwick.
Frederick Kissell, a stone cutter by trade, went with Daniel Heverly from Monroe to Overton, 1810. He selected a piece of land, erected a cabin and after clearing about five acres, enlisted in the War of 1812 and served until its close. After his return he married Miss "Lockey" Clark and had a son, John, born 1818. Kissell died in the spring of 1823 and was buried on a little ridge near his house, his being the first grave of the pioneer cemetery in Overton.
The Gambles settling in Bradford county were natives of County Monaghan, Ireland and descendants of the celebrated Ralph Gamel. James Anderson (p. 48), who came early to the Susquehanna valley, in 1799 returned to Ireland for his parents and on coming back to America, 1801, persuaded John Gamble, Jr. to come over with him. They settled in Wilmot, 1802. Gamble, being pleased with the new country, wrote to his friends in Ireland. In 1811 his father, mother and other members of the family, sailed from Belfast and landed at Amboy on April 15th. They came on to Bradford county and settled permanently. The Gambles were a people of splendid character, worthful and prominent in the Anti-Slavery movement in Bradford county.
John Gamble, born 1748 in Ireland, married, 1773, Elizabeth Kennedy, came to America, 1811, settling in Wilmot township where he engaged in clearing and improving land until his death, Sept. 15, 1830. His wife, b. 1751, died May 1, 1822; both rest in the Laceyville cemetery. Their children were Nancy, John, James, William, Joseph and George.
Nancy, b. 1775, married John Morrow, Sr., died April, 1860 in Wilmot.
John, b. Sept. 12, 1777, came to America, 1801. February 8, 1815 he was admitted and sworn a citizen, being the first person naturalized in the courts of Bradford county. He married Lucina Whitney of Whitney's Flats and settled in Missouri. While East on a visit, he died, Jany. 3, 1828 at the home of his brother Joseph in Wilmot.
He left children, Elizabeth (Mrs. Magee), Joseph, Justus, John K. and Archibald M.
James, b. Nov. 2, 1781, married Isabel Nesbit, engaged in farming in Wilmot where he died October 10, 1865; children and marriages follow: Margaret to Robert Morrow, Wilmot; John died unmarried; William to Irene Beeman, Laceyville; Nesbit to Mary Mitten, Herrick; Betsey died unmarried; Jane to David Currier; Joseph to Mandana Currier; Abigail died unmarried; Deborah and George died unmarried; James went to Michigan and never after heard from.
William, b. 1789, married Rocelana, daughter of Joseph Elliott (I-123), lived at Balibay some years then removed from the county.
Joseph, b. Sept. 8, 1791, married, 1819, Sarah Spalding of Cavendish, Vt., engaged in farming in Wilmot, died Aug. 13, 1885, aged 94; his wife, b. March 27, 1798, died July 10, 1859. Their children and marriages follow: John M. to Harriet Vaughan of Vaughan Hill; Elizabeth A. to James C. Vaughan, Vaughan Hill; Emily to Wm. Boyd, Sugar Run; Fanny W. died at 3 years; Joseph D. to Fannie L. Welles of Elk Horn Grove, Ill.; Hamilton R., b. June 9, 1832, died in Cal.; Amanda E. to Alexander Boyd, Philadelphia; Lucy L. to Orlando Picket, Rush, Pa.
George, b. 1795, married Anna Keeney of Laceyville, Pa.
Oliver Sisson, the first permanent settler on Tuscarora creek in Tuscarora township, came thereto about 1805, locating on the farm known as the Cogswell homestead. Here he died in 1809 and in his will left all property to his wife.
Joseph Black, a native of Colchester, Conn., born June 24, 1762; on January 30, 1793 was united in marriage with Miss Alice, daughter of Lieut. James Wells (I--102) who was slain at the battle of Wyoming. In 1804 Mr. Black purchased of John and Daniel Porter of New Jersey 600 acres of land on Wyalusing Creek at 6 1/4 cents per acre. His purchase included the Gordon grist-mill. In 1807 he moved from Exter, Luzerne county to his purchase and for many years was busily engaged in operating the grist-mill, a saw-mill and clearing and improving land. His grist-mill was widely patronized, the settlers coming from Montrose and equally long distances in other directions. Mr. Black died on his farm, Nov. 20, 1834; his wife, born Nov. 21, 1772, died July 8, 1842; both rest in the Merryall cemetery; their children and marriages follow:
Hannah, b. Nov. 6, 1793, married Nathan Scovell of Wyalusing. Their children were Harris, Harriet, Lydia, Otis, Aranthus, Rachel, Betsey, Nathan, Joseph, Laura and Mary.
James, b. Feb. 6, 1795, married Mahala Carpenter, formerly of Vermont. Their children were Ursula, Nelson, Henry Addison, Alice Emeline, Mary Bathia, Joseph, Chester Wells, Davis George, William Parker, Jonathan Marsh, Ann Elizabeth and Edmund E.
John Henry, b. Dec. 28, 1796, married Hannah Ackley of Wyalusing. Their children were Harrison, George Mortimer, Benjamin Ackley, Niram Ackley, John Henry, Nancy Priscilla (Mrs. John Q. Ingham).
Elizabeth, b. Oct. 19, 1798, married Bissell Chubbuck of Orwell. Their children were Harrison, Fidelia (Mrs. Rufus D. Cleveland), Orlando, George Caldwalder, Alanson, Henry Clay, Lucinda (Mrs. Chas. Mudge) and Sarah (Mrs. Amos Hart).
Alice, b. Dec. 4, 1800, married Jonathan Marsh of Wyalusing. Their children were Eleanor, Joseph, Jeptha and John.
Samuel, b. July 31, 1802, married Phoebe, a daughter of Humphrey Goff of Monroe. Their children were Alonzo and others.
Nancy, b. June 29, 1804, married Ferris Bennett of Pike. Their children were Samuel, Levi, Mahala (Mrs. Wm. Whitney), Charles, Miles, Olive, Sarah Olive (1st Mrs. Anson Pickett, 2nd Mrs. Avery Pickett), Jane Elizabeth (Mrs. George Peet), Rhoda, Cecelia (Mrs. Asa Carlin), Davis Dimock and Lydia (Mrs. Wm. Bradshaw).
Olive, b. March 18, 1806, married Jonathan Demmon Benson of Hector, N.Y.--no children.
Davis Dimock, b. March 22, 1808, married 1st Betsy E. Hines, 2nd Lois Marsh of Pike.
Children from the first marriage were Charles Wesley, Marquis, and Betsey Minerva (1st Mrs. C. W. Warner, 2nd Mrs. Wilmot Coburn). Children of the second marriage were William Marsh, Melville, and John Henry.
Joseph, Jr., b. Feb. 18, 1810, never married.
Mary, b. Nov. 1, 1811, married Davis Dimock Gray of Tuscarora. Their children were Alonzo William, Irene Elizabeth, Mary Jane, Sarah Fidelia, Amy, Helen, Elizabeth, Emily Alice, Davis D., Agnes and John Henry.
Harrison, b. March 25, 1813, died in childhood.
Irene, b. March 28, 1816, married Jesse Benedict Sturdevant of Tuscarora. Their children were Davis Gray, Lois Elizabeth (Mrs. Wm. Briggs), Judson Wade, Polly Ann (Mrs. John Harsh) and Leander.
John Miller, who had married Lydia, daughter of Samuel Gilbert (I--234), evidently came soon after his father-in-law to Asylum where he purchased of the Asylum Land Company and engaged in farming until his death, 1830. His children by his wife Lydia Gilbert were Orris, Nancy, Gilbert, Diodate, Lydia, Daniel, Samuel and Hiram.
He married for his second wife, Joanna _____ and had children, Alice and Eliza.
Orris married George Bowman of Towanda township; died Dec. 8, 1876, aged 86 years and 5 months.
Nancy married July 16, 1816 Major John Horton, Jr. of Terrytown, being his 1st wife.
Lydia married Dec. 26, 1822 Benjamin Ingham of Sugar Run.
Diodate married April 26, 1826 Mahala Smith.
Samuel married Nov. 21, 1833 Julia, daughter of Ebenezer Horton
Stephen Charlot of Trenton, N.J. previous to 1807 came
to Wyalusing and purchased the improvement of Simeon Marsh on Vaughan Hill.
He cleared a considerable part of the farm which in 1814 he exchanged with
Elias Vaughan for property at Rummerfield. He sold in 1817 to Nathaniel
Richardson and removed West. The late Rev. Calvin Gable Charlot of Newton,
Illinois, a son, was born on Vaughan Hill, 1807.
John Wood, a native of Elizabethtown, N.J., born July 3, 1753, in July, 1776 enlisted in Colonel Spencer's regiment of the New Jersey state troops and served 9 months. He subsequently served various other short enlistments in the struggle for Independence.
He took part in the engagements of Four Mile Farm, Elizabethtown and Springfield.
In or before 1812, he removed from New Jersey to Frenchtown, Bradford county, then lived for a time at Browntown, returned to Asylum and lived with his son, John about ten years. In 1842 he removed to Standing Stone where he died with his son in January, 1844. He was given a pension under the Act of 1832. His remains repose in the Standing Stone cemetery. The children of John Wood were John, Jeremiah, Charlotte, Polly and a daughter who married a Mr. Bouse; John married Margaret Middaugh, Charlotte a Mr. Thompson and Polly a Mr. Parmeter.
Eastabrook (Easterbrooks) -- "The pioneer Eastabrooks in this country were Puritans and came over from England in 1660. The family must have been of some consequence for the two, Joseph and Thomas, who came over at that time, had received a preparatory education for college. Thomas Easterbrooks was one of those who freely signed the agreement made between Mr. Willett and the church in Swansey, Feb. 12, 1669 on admission as an inhabitant. He died April 11, 1713 at Warren, R.I. aged 84 years."
John, son of Thomas, had a son William who married Patience _____ and had children, John, Aaron, Patience, William, Levi, Moses, Peleg, Mary, Elizabeth and Ann.
Peleg Easterbrooks, son of William and Patience, was born circa 1750 at Pomfret, Conn.
He was a ship carpenter by occupation and married March 6, 1770 Rebecca Saulsbury of Pomfret. Members of his family having settled in Orwell, 1812, he and his wife soon after joined them. Here the former died in the fall of 1828 and his wife in February, 1838. Their children were Reuben, Abigail, Levi, Jesse, William S., Sarah, Marcus, Patience (died young) and Diana.
Levi, born July 17, 1778, was a miller by occupation; he had two daughters, one of whom died July 14, 1879 in Orwell, aged 72 years.
Jesse, born Jan. 22, 1787 at Warren, R.I., married, March 31, 1812, Lovina Ferry of Springfield, Mass. He removed to Bradford county, 1812; died Dec. 9, 1871 at Stevensville; his wife died Nov. 16, 1873. Their children and marriages follow:
Marcus; Reuben B. to Sarah J. Chaffee; Edward Jesse to Emeline Potter; Rebecca Saulsbury to Wm. Carl; Mary N. to Wm. Maynard; Eliza A. to Avery Picket.
William S. married Wealthy Shurtliff of Woodstock, Conn., and emigrated to Orwell, 1812. He afterwards removed to Wysox where he died Sept. 27, 1825 in his 37th year; his wife died 30 years later in Towanda. Their children, who married as follows, were Judson to
Lydia Eliza Robinson, being the parents of Charles J., Elvira (Mrs. Leonard Ross), Mary (Mrs. J. M. Davis), Alice (Mrs. Sands Dunham), Emma and Edwin; Andrew Jackson to Mary Pratt; William W. to Ann Gorham and had children, Amelia (Mrs. Wm. Elsbree), Avery (killed in the Civil War), William Ward, Frances (Mrs. Willard Loveland), Charlotte (died at 15), Wilfred, Axcy (Mrs. Joseph Dettrie), Arthur, and Belle (married 1st Fillmore Ross, 2nd John Patterson); Sylvanus to Lucy J. Newbury and had a son William N.; Nancy Maria to William F. Corbin; Charlotte to Sweet Gardner.
Sarah, b. July 8, 1773, died unmarried.
Marcus, b. Jan. 27, 1793, came to Orwell about 1820; married, July 27, 1827, Althea Gray of Susquehanna county; died April 2, 1874. His wife, born July 30, 1800, died
July 7, 1877. Their children were Nancy (Mrs. Chauncey Tingley), Hannah and Lucy.
Diana married Eleazer Allis, Jr. (I--340).
Abel, John and Stephen Easterbrooks, cousins of William S., came with him to Orwell, 1812. They afterwards emigrated to Illinois.
Barnard Easterbrooks, brother of Abel, John and Stephen, came to Orwell about 1825. He was born Dec. 6, 1769 at Woodstock, Conn., and died 1837 or '38 at South Hill.
He married Nov. 25, 1798 Cynthia Green who died April 11, 1848. They had a son,
John G., who married Cynthia E., daughter of Nehemiah Northrup of Athens.
Dr. Benoni Mandeville, a native of Granby, Mass., came to Orwell in or before 1812, where he practiced his profession and preached for a time. In 1822 he located at Monroeton where he practiced thirty years, then removed to Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
He was the father of Mrs. S. W. Alden and Rev. Sumner Mandeville.
Augustus Loomis, youngest son of Noah and Mary (Graves) Loomis, was born April 14, 1765 at Harwinter, Conn. He came from the Genessee Valley, N.Y. to Canton township in or before 1804, locating at Grover. Here he engaged in clearing land and farming until his death, April 1831. He married Liberty, daughter of Gersham Gillett (I--301); she died March 1, 1857. Their children were Ezekiel, John, Seth, Almira, George, Rosina, Minerva (Mrs. Ezra Wright Rutty), and Elizabeth (Mrs. Asahel Wright).
John married Adeline Haxton, succeeded to the homestead and died, 1866 in Granville in his 65th year. His children were Lydia (Mrs. Warren Bagley), Hannah (Mrs. Milo Webster), Seth, Noah, Sherman, John and Angeline (Mrs. Alpha Stone).
Rosina, b. June 15, 1808, m. Calvin S. Sellard, d. May 17, 1881. Their children were Steve, Emeline (Mrs. Walter Leavitt), Lewis, Harriet, Augusta (Mrs. Henry C. Palmer) and James M.
David Lindley, a native of Vermont who had married Annis Brown, settled near East Canton, 1812. He cleared and improved the farm afterwards occupied by his sons Joseph and Solomon. "He opened the road from Canton to Ralston and drove the first wagon over it." His death occurred May 16, 1833 in his 60th year. The children of
David and Annis Lindley were Cynthia (Mrs. Horace Stone), Joseph, Solomon, Hiram, John P. and Celinda (Mrs. Simeon Powers).
Joseph married Lovina B., daughter of Thomas and Betsy (Wright) Manley and occupied part of the homestead. Their children were Charlotte (Mrs. James Ingham), Sheldon H., Hiram, Helen (Mrs. Chas. Spalding), Lorena (Mrs. Chester Thomas, Jr.), Ann (Mrs. Burton Montgomery), Marion (Mrs. D. J. Manley), Eliza (Mrs. Addison Wilson) and Isadore (Mrs. Theron Sweet).
Solomon married Lavina, daughter of Jonas and Abigail (Knapp)
Weed of Danby, N.Y. and also occupied a part of the homestead. They had
five children of whom the youngest, Denton G. was a distinguished soldier
in the Civil War.
Lilley--"Lilleys are said to be of Norman descent and sprung from Sir Robert and John DeLille, who came over from Normandy to England in the army of William the Conqueror in 1066." Their descendants spread throughout England, Scotland and Ireland, thence westward throughout the United States.
John Lilley was born June 4, 1781 in Ireland of English parentage. His parents having died when he was a child he was cared for by an uncle. He learned the trade of weaver. At the age of 14 he was pressed into the British service and aided in suppressing the Irish rebellion. From Ireland he was transferred to Canada where he served some time. Tiring of serving the king, he with four others sought Independence by leaving the British flag and escaping across the line into New York thence going to Vermont, where he worked among the farmers and boated on Otter Creek. In 1806 he married Nancy, daughter of Ebenezer and Polly (Patty) Smith; and in the winter of 1811-'12 with his wife and three children together with his household goods and the pork from a 400-pound hog, he started from his home in Middlebury, Vt. with horses and sleigh. In three weeks, he reached his journey's end at what is Oak Hill near Long's Mills. Here he remained until 1815 when he purchased a piece of land in Columbia and settled thereon. He became a good farmer, took great interest in the militia trainings and was a faithful member of the Disciple church. His death occurred Oct. 26, 1842; his wife b. March 20, 1791, died Dec. 1, 1841. Their children were John, Polly, Robert, Dummer, Ebenezer, George Andrew, Harriet Sophia, Nancy Jane, Sally Ann and Thomas McDonough.
John, b. July 9, 1807, d. Feb. 24, 1885; followed teaching and farming; married 1st Lucinda Jackson and had children, Helen M.
(Mrs. Ward Warren), Robert B. and Eben W.; married 2nd Lemira McKean and had children, Daniel M., James T., John M. C. and Eliza A. (Mrs. Geo. Williams).
Polly, b. Feb. 6, 1808, died Jan. 18, 1890; school teacher many years; married James Bothwell of Alba; no children.
Robert, b. Aug. 28, 1811, d. Dec. 16, 1886; engaged in farming near Alba; married Lucy Powers; their children and marriages follow: Albert T. to Samantha M. Fellows; Eben F. to Elizabeth Laughhead; Lydia A. to John P. Bates; Cordelia A. to Archibald McNaught; Fidelia A. to Jehial Gould; Charles F. to Hattie Dann.
Dummer, b. Aug. 31, 1813, d. Feb. 18, 1882; engaged in the printing business a number of years in Towanda and Troy; was appointed Register & Recorder, 1838; elected County Commissioner, 1856 and Representative, 1862-'63; married 1st Lydia S. Parsons and had children, Amelia Sophia (Mrs. W. J. Young) and Harriet Brunette (Mrs. Daniel F. Pomeroy); married 2nd Lucy M. Thomas, children being Alice M. and Leafy Florence; married 3rd Nancy Smith and had children, Dummer Smith, Laura La Franc, Nancy Ella (Mrs. Richmond A. Sweet); married 4th Frances M. Smith.
Ebenezer, b. Jan. 8, 1816, d. Oct. 6, 1890; followed farming in LeRoy; was elected county treasurer, 1881; married Emeline Slade and had children, Nancy G. (Mrs. Wm. G. Andress), John E., Ruby M. (Mrs. Judson W. Stone), Mial E. and Charles S.; married 2nd Elizabeth Fawcett.
George A., b. March 12, 1818, d. 1887 in Williamsport, Pa.; was a carpenter by occupation; married Katharine Green and had children, Frances (Mrs. Chas. Metz),
Ellen S. (Mrs. John W. Hall), George W., Emma L. (Mrs. Nathan G. Moulder),
Francis B., Hattie S., Thomas M., Mary A. and Clarence L.
Harriet S., b. June 23, 1821, d. Oct. 9, 1854; was a teacher many years;
married Chester A. Pierce of Wysox and was mother of 3 sons and 2 daughters.
Nancy J., b. Jan. 22, 1824, d. Jan. 18, 1872; was a teacher and poetess;
married William A. Thomas and was the mother of one son and two daughters.
Sally A., b. Nov. 3, 1826, d. March 20, 1904; was a teacher; married Shepard S. Pierce
of Wysox and had two sons and a daughter.
Thomas M., b. Feb. 12, 1829, d. March 20, 1876 in California where he went during the gold excitement, 1848-'49; married there Ann O'Mullen and had a son George Andrew.