|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
Moses Taylor, a native of Vermont, emigrated to Bradford county, 1805, first stopping at Athens where he worked a rented farm three years then removed to Columbia flats. Here he purchased and made improvements until 1813 when he sold to Reuben Nash and took up his final residence in Troy township where he died, 1824. Soon after locating in Columbia, he erected a log school house, the first in the township. Mr. Taylor was a very kind man as the following will illustrate: He owned the only grindstone in the locality which his neighbors would frequently ask the use of to sharpen their axes; his reply was, "Yes, you are welcome to the stone provided you let me turn for you." By his wife Martha he had ten children. Two of his sons were Charles and Allen. In his will, Solomon Morse, David Palmer, James Wilson, Moses Wheeler, John B. Murphy, Polly Morse and Zadock Evenst, evidently relatives, are remembered.
Charles Taylor came from Vermont with his father Moses Taylor and located permanently in Columbia. He was a prominent and worthful citizen and many years a justice of the peace, earning a wide reputation as "the Squire who married couples successfully." He died Dec. 3, 1839, survived by his wife Marinda and children, Seba C., Charles, Howard, Nathaniel, Juliet (Mrs. Wm. G. Bradford), Lucy Jane, Alanson and Horace.
Allen Taylor, b. May 23, 1792 in Vermont, came with his father Moses Taylor to Bradford county, 1805. In 1816 he married Olive H., daughter of Joel and Lydia Stevens (p. 132) and settled upon and improved a large farm in Troy township where both died at a ripe old age, highly esteemed for their useful, Christian lives. They were the parents of 13 children, 10 of whom grew to maturity. Mr. Taylor at his death, Aug. 17, 1878, was survived by his wife and children, Joel S., James W., Zera B., Lydia (Mrs. Wm. Owen), Lucy M. (Mrs. Thos. S. Manley), Juliet (Mrs. John H. Hazelton), Cynthia M. (Mrs. Thos. Done) and Adah (Mrs. Hanford McDougal).
Jesse Moore, the first permanent settler of South Creek township, came thereto, 1804, from Orange county, N.Y., cutting his own road through from Southport. He settled about one-half mile below Gillett and made the first improvement in a wilderness of heavy timber. Soon after locating, he erected a log grist-mill with one run of stone on the west branch of South Creek, being the first mill in the township. He continued his battle against privations and hardships and cleared a considerable farm where he died in 1844. His wife died July 31, 1855, aged nearly 80 years. Their children were Jesse, David R., Gabriel B., Clarissa, Minerva and Sarah Ann.
Jesse succeeded to the homestead and died thereon, March 6, 1872,
past 70 years, survived by his wife Abigail M., son William Harrison and
daughters, the eldest of whom was Ida (Mrs. Charles Smith).
Philo Fassett, born March 3, 1787 in Vermont whose father, Philo Fassett, was an officer in the Revolutionary war, emigrated to Troy township, 1808, settling on a farm which he afterward sold to Reuben Wilber. In 1830 he purchased the Andrus possession in South Creek, a half-mile south of Fassett station. Having moved thereto, he enlarged his house and in 1832 opened it as a hotel. This he conducted many years in conjunction with the manufacture of lumber and the improvement of a large farm. He amassed a handsome fortune. Mr. Fassett married Marion Wheeler (b. Sept. 25, 1791); he died in 1868.
They reared a notable family of children: Newton P., John Q. A., Lewis H., Samuel M., Truman, Philo, Isaac W., Lydia (Mrs. Rufus Rockwell), Mariam (Mrs. Daniel Dobbins) and Mary A. (Mrs. Herman N. Comstock).
Griswold Owen, a native of Connecticut, came from Unadilla, N.Y. to Chemung where he married Annis, daughter of Roswell Goff. In 1809 he moved to Ridgebury and was prominent in the affairs of the new settlement. Here he died in 1842, survived by his wife and children, Julietta (Mrs. Josiah B. Wilkinson), Hector, Armitta F. (Mrs. Chas. French), John and Ency (Mrs. Knower Wounley).
James Dewey from the Green Mountains in Vermont came to Bradford county before 1812, first stopping in Smithfield but soon going to Ridgebury, locating on Bentley Creek where he built one of the first mills in that section of country. Here he died in 1829, survived by his wife Patience and children, James, Nathan, Ebenezer, Hiram, Polly and Sally.
James married Mehitable Van Camp and located on Doty Hill where he cleared a large farm. He died Aug. 14, 1872, aged 70 years. His children were Keturah, Levi, Harvey, John, Andrew J. and Eliza A. (Mrs. Callen).
Chubbuck--Of the pioneer families of Bradford county, the Chubbucks are descendant from Thomas Chubbuck, who settled at Hingham, Mass. in 1634. He was a man of thrift; died 1676. His son John was a selectman of Hingham and a lieutenant in the expedition against Canada. He married Martha Beal. Nathaniel, son of John and Martha, settled in Wareham, Mass. Their son, Ebenezer (b. 1725, d. 1810) was a soldier in the French and Indian war and a lieutenant in the American army in the war for Independence. He married 1st a
Miss Burgess and had sons Ebenezer and Nathaniel and four daughters (one, Polly married Dan Russell, (I--268); married 2nd Tabitha Fowler).
Ebenezer Chubbuck, the elder son of Ebenezer, with his father served in the Revolutionary war. In 1818 he removed from Connecticut to Orwell where some of the family was already settled. He occupied and improved the farm known as the Cleveland place. He married Lucina Craw, whose children married as follows: Amy to Robert McKee; Fanny to Asa McKee; Bissell to Elizabeth Black of Wyalusing; Mary to James Cleveland; Sarah to Peter Sturdevant; Lucina to Rufus D. Cleveland; Eben to Cynthia Frost. The patriot father was given a pension in his closing years. He died July 26, 1840, aged 78 years and 22 days, and his remains repose in the Orwell cemetery.
Nathaniel Chubbuck, son of Ebenezer, b. Oct. 16, 1764, settled near Norwich, Conn., where he married Nov. 27, 1788, Chloe Eaton (b. March 4, 1768, d. Oct. 11, 1832).
He resided in Connecticut until 1818 when he removed to Orwell township where his sons, Nathaniel, Aaron and Jacob, had preceded him. He purchased a large tract of land which he occupied until his death, March 13, 1825. The children of Nathaniel and Chloe Chubbuck were Nathaniel, Aaron, Hannah, John, Jacob, Sheldon (died at 5 yrs.), James, Chloe, Daniel O., Hollis S., Austin E. and Francis S.
Nathaniel, b. Sept. 5, 1789, married Jan. 28, 1812 Hannah Lovett of Norwich, Conn., died Aug. 1, 1865. He came to Orwell township in the summer of 1811, took up land and built a log cabin, then returned East. Upon coming to his new home with his wife, spring of 1812, he found the roof of his cabin crushed in by the weight of snow. Repairs were soon made by the assistance of kind neighbors and with a chest for a table and shingle-blocks for chairs they began life in the wilderness. After a few years he built a tannery and thereafter combined farming, tanning and shoemaking. During the year 1813, he invited Rev. Marmaduke Pearce, then on the circuit, to preach at his house. This was the first Methodist preaching in Orwell and Mr. Chubbuck the first convert. In 1823 he was licensed to exhort and so continued until the day of his death, being widely known as a forceful expounder of the Scriptures.
Of his eight children, four grew to manhood: Nathaniel J., b. 1812, married Ann Cooley, lived at Monroeton, died 1890; Horatio John, b. March 8, 1819, married Almira Chaffee and lived in Warren township; Lyman Sheldon, b. Feb. 20, 1822, married Phoebe Gleason, died Oct. 28, 1907; was long a teacher, farmer and useful public servant; children, Mary Ellen (Mrs. O. D. Stiles),
Melville Eaton, Clara Edith (Mrs. Chas. W. Stevens) and Ephton Eugene; Hollis Lorenzo, b. Aug. 23, 1828, filled an important government position during the Civil War, witnessed the assassination of President Lincoln and came near capturing Booth, living in Oklahoma where for more than 30 years he was an officer of the law among the Cherokee and Osage Indians and was also long an assistant commissioner of agriculture.
Jacob, b. March 5, 1797, came to Orwell with his brother Aaron; went back to Connecticut and married, Oct. 7, 1819, Minerva Tupper and returned with her at once to Orwell where he cleared and improved a farm; died, 1873; children and marriages follow: Harriet M. to George Crowfoot; Otis J., b. May 7, 1825, a successful teacher, county superintendent, 1863-'69, Register and Recorder, 1873-'76, married 1st Eunice Hicks, 2nd Ann E. Keeney, died Jan. 25, 1893 in Towanda; Chloe E. to P. W. Champion of Lanark, Ill.; Rev. Sherman A., b. Aug. 9, 1830, to Catalena Pendleton, many years a member of
the M. E. Conference of Central N.Y., died in Orwell; Ellen M. to Leonard O. Brown; Tracy J. to Mary Tripp; Julia A. died at 12 years.
Hannah, b. Feb. 16, 1793, married Joseph Hamilton of Windham, died Aug. 7, 1865; had two sons and a daughter.
John, b. Feb. 23, 1795, was a prominent physician at Nichols and Binghamton, dying at the latter place, March 18, 1878. He was a surgeon of the 1st regiment of Engineers, Corps d' Afrique, in service at Brazos and Santiago, Texas, 1863-'64.
Aaron, b. Aug. 4, 1791, married Jan. 3, 1814, Miss Matilda Dimmick, d. Aug. 19, 1881.
He received an excellent common school education and successfully engaged in teaching. Within a week after his marriage, he started for Pennsylvania with his wife and effects, loaded on an ox-sled, drawn by a pair of oxen and a horse. After a journey of two weeks, he reached the Orwell valley on Wysox Creek where he commenced life in earnest by clearing away the forests with his own hands and undergoing all the hardships of the times. "But by industry and frugality he obtained a competence and lived to see the country divested of its forests and to blossom as the rose, his neighbors and citizens wealthy and happy, the red schoolhouse located on every crossroad and the church spires within his view ascending heavenward whence 'good tidings of great joy' were proclaimed."
In 1819 Mr. Chubbuck was appointed justice of the peace for Orwell and Pike, performing his duties so faithfully and well that he was continued in that office by reappointments for 21 years. He was elected county auditor in 1834 and served 3 years. In 1842 he was chosen prothonotary and clerk of the several courts, serving a term of three years. He was elected an Associate Judge in 1856 but after a year resigned his office. During his term, however, he displayed his uniform ability and integrity, serving to the satisfaction of the people. Judge Chubbuck was of a candid and devotional turn of mind. In 1810 he experienced
(Illustration of Aaron Chubbuck)
religion and joined the Methodist Episcopal church. He was the first class leader in Orwell, a class of five being formed there in 1814 consisting of himself, his wife, brother Nathaniel, Chester Prince and Father Thatcher. He remained a leader of this class until 1857. One who knew Judge Chubbuck says:
"The great characteristic of his life was of the good and solid instead of brilliant and partook rather of sound discretion and good common sense, great honesty of purpose and kindness of heart. He was not great but good. No man had more of the esteem and regard of his neighbors and associates than Judge Chubbuck." By his wife Matilda he had three children, Lucinda D. (Mrs. Isaac Pratt), Horace G. and Matilda H. C. (Mrs. Chas. N. Mory). His wife died in 1854 and he subsequently married Miss Julia A. Smith of Nichols, N.Y. After the death of his second wife, he spent his closing days on the old farm with his daughter, Mrs. Mory.
James, b. April 5, 1801, married 1st Pamelia Keeney, 2nd Hester Crandall, 3rd Mrs. Cynthia Bull; was a leading member of the M. E. church, died Feb. 7, 1873; children, Carlos J., Charles E., Carlton K. and Caroline P. (Mrs. Francis C. Woodruff).
Chloe, b. Dec. 8, 1803, married Levi Frisbie, died in Orwell, Aug. 20, 1860; was the mother of 4 sons and 2 daughters.
Daniel Ostrander, b. May 17, 1805, married Polly Oakley of Susquehanna county, removed to Mount Vernon, Iowa where he died June 3, 1880; had a son Daniel J. and two daughters.
Hollis S., b. March 13, 1809, practiced medicine first at Orwell and afterwards in Elmira where he died March 4, 1883; married, 1831, Elizabeth A. Heath.
Austin E., b. June 16, 1810, was first a farmer, merchant at Elmira and finally a prominent Methodist minister of the Genesee Conference; died in Elmira, April 15, 1882.
Francis S., b. March 10, 1812, married Polly Robinson,
died May 15, 1890 at Nichols, N.Y., followed farming until 1849 when he
joined the Wyoming Conference of the M. E. church and was many years a
successful preacher; children, Rev. Emory F. and two daughters.
Dr. Horace LeBaren came to the upper Sugar Creek valley
before 1812. He married Laura, daughter of Nathaniel Allen (I--246) of
East Troy and located in Columbia township where he practiced successfully
until his death in 1827. He left children, Horace, Frederick, Charles,
Lydia, Laura and Lucy. His widow afterwards married Benjamin McKean.
Samuel Strait, a native of Rhode Island enlisted in the American army at North Kingston and served under General Stark at the battle of Bennington. He removed from Rhode Island to Vermont, settling at Manchester. In 1812 he purchased a tract of land in Bradford county in what is known as Farmers' Valley, Troy township. The same year, his sons Burton and Samuel came on from Vermont and located in Columbia. Mr. Strait came to his purchase in 1821 and died there, 1838 in his 97th year. His remains rest in Glenwood cemetery, Troy.
He was four times married and the father of 17 children. By his third wife, Jerusha Burton, he had 13 children as follows: Burton, George, Polly, Samuel, Jerusha, Isaac and Laban (twins, died young), Laura, Esther, Huldah, Thomas, Sarah and John H. B.
Burton, born Sept. 4, 1781; married, 1800, Rachel Saxton; died January 5, 1858. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, serving under General Dearborn in the 1st Vermont militia. He came to Columbia township in 1812 and was one of the prominent and useful citizens of the county. He served as justice of the peace, county auditor and county commissioner and was popularly known as Captain Strait from his office in the old militia. He had 11 children, part of whom settled in Tioga county. His son William married Mary Ann Besley.
Samuel, brother of Burton, came to Columbia with him in 1812. He was likewise a man of prominence and served as county auditor and prothonotary. He married Rachel Purdy and had four daughters and a son, Samuel, who was prominent in the business affairs of Canton, establishing the first bank there and engaging in the coal trade and milling. He married Laura M. Clark and had children, Dida C., Samuel S. and Julia H.
Elijah and Chester Prouty, evidently brothers and sons of John Prouty, a Revolutionary soldier of Spencer, Mass., early joined the Sugar Creek settlement in Burlington, the former coming thereto in 1803 and the latter a few years later. Chester married Mary Lytle of Wyoming county, finally removed to Center county, Pa., where he died at the age of 80 years. He had children, Nathaniel, Chester, Elijah, Jeptha, Maryetta and Mary.
Roberts (Robert, Robart)--Jesse and Nathan Roberts came
to the Canton neighborhood as early as 1803. Jesse had sons Jesse
and William. In 1853, William Robert and wife Loretta, James Pratt and
wife Eliza, Lewis Adams and wife Sally, Mary Ann Robert, J. B. Greenleaf
and wife Hannah, C. S. Elliott and wife Maria, Julius Pratt and wife Rebecca
evidently heirs of Jesse, deed to Jesse Robert land in LeRoy township.
There was another William Roberts contemporaneous with the former,
probably son of Nathan. He was born Jan. 29, 1796, married Betsy, daughter
of David Pratt, died 1865 in Canton. Their children and marriages: Mehitable
to David Cole; Hannah to William McClelland; Julius died unmarried; William
to Margaret Ann Sturrock; Lyman; David died in Iowa; Mary Jane never married;
Marietta to Erastus Putnam; Asa died in Iowa; Viola died in Dakota; Velira
to Frank Baldwin.
Jabez Fletcher, a native of East Haddam, Mass., who had been a seaman,
came to Smithfield township, 1811. He made numerous improvements which he sold to the settlers. He died April, 1847 in Smithfield, aged 64 years. His wife was Naomi Pettibone by whom he had children, David, Jacob, Stephen, John, James, Sylvia (Mrs. Uriah Williams), Almira (Mrs. Abram Kniffin) and Charlotte (Mrs. Abram Eastman).
Stephen F. married Rhoda Scouten and spent his life in farming in Smithfield. Their children were John P., Scouten, B. Frank, Jabez G., Alfred E., David C., Charles, Viola (Mrs. Madison Sargeant), Elizabeth (Mrs. S. Ross) and Ella.
Jesse Sumner, born September 2, 1789 in Halifax, Vermont, found his way to Smithfield in 1811 where he purchased a tract of wild land. He cut and cleared four acres, sowed to winter wheat and in the fall of 1812 returned to Halifax to claim his bride, Mary Miller Harkness. They were married Dec. 17, 1812 and soon after started for their new home. Their conveyance was a sled drawn by two yoke of oxen. On this sled were packed a feather bed with bedding, clothing, some furniture and provisions. When within a day's journey of their destination, Mr. Sumner was stricken with fever and died. The remains were taken to Smithfield for burial and Mrs. Sumner given a home in the family of Deacon Hackett, where Oct. 11, 1813 her son Jesse was born. She subsequently married John Bird (p. 29).
Jesse, only child of Jesse and Mary Sumner, married Nov. 21, 1841, Louisa, daughter of Ziba and Eliza Bird Gerould; was a splendid Christian gentleman; spent his whole life in Smithfield where he died Dec. 16, 1892; children, Orpheus Bird, Elbertine L. (Mrs. Lewis A. Bosworth) and Betsy Gerould (Mrs. Llewellyn Blackman).
William Compton, a ship carpenter and native of Providence, R.I., came from Otsego county, N.Y. to Smithfield, 1812. He was a son of William and Elizabeth Franklin (a niece of Benjamin Franklin) Compton. He married Huldah Beals, sister of Abigail Beals, wife of Rev. John Smith (I--245), who with Harry Grover, Elias and Francis Needham and others with their families emigrated to Kentucky. Mr. Compton occupied and died on the Rev. S. A. Califf farm.
Major John Parkhurst, son of Josiah and Elizabeth (Bigelow) Parkhurst, was born May 2, 1760 at Weston, Mass. The family moved to Framingham which was his home during the Revolution. In the summer of 1777 he joined the army and was assigned to guard Continental stores at East Sudbury. On April 1, 1778, he re-enlisted in Captain Holmes's company, Col. Jonathan Reed's regiment and guarded at Prospect Hill, Cambridge, British prisoners who had been captured with General Burgoyne. He was discharged July 4, 1778 and at once re-enlisted for six weeks in the company of Capt. Amos Perry of Sherburne. He went with the company to Providence and Lewiston, R.I., where his duty again consisted in guarding continental stores; in August the company was engaged in building redoubts near Newport, R.I. On July 24, 1780, he enlisted in Capt. Walter McFarland's company, Col. Cyprian Howe's regiment, for service in Rhode Island; the company went to Providence where they were detailed to guard stores on College Hill. He was discharged Oct. 30, 1780. Mr. Parkhurst married, Dec. 17, 1783, Sarah Bullard, who died Feb. 8, 1818, at Springfield, Pa. In 1813, in company with Wm. Evans, he left New Hampshire to find a new home in the West. They drifted into Springfield township where they purchased land, built a log house, then returned for their families. In the fall of 1813, they journeyed to their new home, being six weeks on the road. He and his family were prominent in the affairs of the new settlement. Mr. Parkhurst was a physician by profession though never in active practice. Most of his life was devoted to farming although he conducted a general store, some years, at Marlborough, N.H. He was popularly known as Major Parkhurst from his connection with the old militia. "He was an active member of the church, a man of strong political views and a contributor to various periodicals. He is remembered as a distinguished-looking man with keen blue eyes, white hair and a refined manner." His death occurred Nov. 1, 1836, at Springfield where he is buried. John and Sarah Parkhurst had nine children: John, b. Dec. 30, 1784, married, Sept. 8, 1822, Laura Gleason. Daniel, b. May 6, 1787, married Alma, daughter of Nathaniel Allen; practiced medicine in Springfield where he died, 1819. Josiah, b. March 12, 1789, married, 1813, Rachel Harkness. Sarah Maria (Sally), b. April 10, 1793, married Sept. 5, 1813, Wm. Evans (p. 211). Curtis, b. July 2, 1794, married Nov. 11, 1830, Jane Ann Kasson. Dexter, b. Sept. 21, 1797, married July 4, 1823, Miriam Spear. Joel, b. April 8, 1800, married, 1st, Nov. 16, 1835, Emeline R. Allen; married, 2nd, Mrs. Martha (Harrower) Steel; died Dec. 6, 1884, in Elkland, Tioga county, leaving an estate valued at over $1,000,000. Martha, b. April 2, 1803, married July 25, 1827, Micajah Seely. Ebenezer F., b. Nov. 1, 1807, married Nov. 8, 1829, Demis, a daughter of Aden Brown, and occupied the homestead.
Major Parkhurst married, 2nd, Margaret Randel of Canton.
Nathaniel Clapp, a Quaker, came from Livingstone Manor, N.Y. to Athens, settling near Spanish Hill before 1808. Of his children: Allen married Ann Quick, had several children and lived in Athens until his death; Deborah married William Gernert (p. 156) of Columbia; Elizabeth married Alpheus Harris; Nathaniel married Cynthia, daughter of Ira Stephens; was a prominent and active business man, elected county auditor, 1822 and a member of the state constitutional convention, 1836; his children were H. Clay, Stephen G., Amelia (Mrs. Wm. E. Allen) and Julia (Mrs. Barnes).
Samuel Bennett came from Orange county, N.Y. to Ridgebury,
1807, settling on the hill still bearing his name. He was a tailor and
plied the needle in connection with clearing and improving land. "His farm
was covered with berry bushes and he gave his place the name of Ridge-berry."
He was one of the most active promoters in forming the new township and
was given the privilege of furnishing a name, which was that of his farm,
and it was adopted.
Parley Johnson, a native of Tolland, Conn., came to Windham in 1811. He was a blacksmith by occupation. It is related that when he was moving from the East "he lost a horse and harnessed himself to the side of the remaining horse and drew the load until he could procure another." He settled on the Wappasening near Shoemaker's mill. He was thrifty and performed his part faithfully and well in the new settlement. He reared a large family and died, 1873, aged 88. He married in Connecticut, Lucia Webster. Their children and marriages follow: Lucia to James Finch; James M. to Jane K. Walker; Minerva to Peter Pierce; Almena to Daniel Shoemaker; Harriet to Augustus L. Smith; Caroline to Thomas W. White; Jefferson to Charlotte Briggs; Eliza A. to Lemuel Olmstead; Ellen to James Park; Parley to Eliza Manchester; Charles to Sally Osborn.
Nathan Maynard, a native of Vermont and blacksmith by occupation, married Hannah Streator. The Streator family having settled in Orwell, Mr. Maynard came also in 1812. About 1830, he removed from Orwell to Rome village where he continued to reside until his death, May 25, 1855, aged 72 years. The children of Nathan and Hannah Maynard were Maria, Harriet, Hiram, Pierpont, William E. and Lemuel S. Mrs. Maynard died Feb. 2, 1819, aged 52 and he afterwards married Lydia Prince by whom he had children, Freeman, Jackson, Orson, Julius, Dayton (died young) and Hiram. Lydia Maynard died March 30, 1855, aged 62. Children married as follows: Maria to Daniel Miller; Harriet to Edwin Ridgway; Pierpont to Laura Washburn; William E. to Nancy Cranmer; Hiram went West; Lemuel S. to
Amanda E. Cranmer; Freeman to Sarah Tomlins; Jackson to Gulyelma Woodburn and removed to Illinois; Orson went West; Julius also went West.
Sylvester Barns, who was born October 24, 1785 in Washington, Litchfield county, Conn., was the third son in a family of eight children of Elijah and Marcy (Farnham) Barns, both natives of New England states and supposed to be of Scotch origin. His father, a farmer, served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war and died soon after its close. The mother again married and died in Greene county, N.Y. Sylvester, at the age of 17 years, purchased his time and being somewhat acquainted with the carpenter and joiner trade, engaged in that business in erecting forges at Salisbury, Conn., and other buildings. On the 25th of October, 1809, he married Sally, daughter of Samuel Darby Goff of Conn. Soon after, he removed to Sheffield, Mass., and carried on his previous business. In 1813, he removed with his family to Standing Stone, Bradford county and soon after to Myersburg, where he worked four years in Wm. Myer's grist-mill. He then, in 1819, purchased the farm and mill property of the Ridgways on Wysox creek in Rome township. The balance of his life was spent in clearing his new farm and carrying on his grist-mill, and during his whole career, integrity in all business transactions with his fellow-men was his characteristic. In matters of school and church interests he was never in the background but liberally supported both, and soon after coming to Pennsylvania he and his wife both united with the Baptist church of Orwell and Wysox. He was one of the organizers of the Baptist church at Rome and for many years a deacon. "Deacon Barns" died March 11, 1871 in his 86th year. His wife, born Nov. 7, 1787, died April 5, 1841. Their children and marriages follow:
Samuel Lewis, b. Nov. 17, 1810, married Jane E. Cannan, Rome.
Sally Maria, b. Sept. 9, 1812, married John Woodburn, Rome.
Elijah Farnham, b. July 25, 1815, married Amanda Forbes, Rome.
Harriet M., b. Oct. 16, 1817, married Preceptor Forbes, Rome.
Ridgway Sylvester, b. Aug. 2, 1819, married Harriet Forbes, Rome.
David Buell, b. March 15, 1821; married Mrs. Elizabeth (Chaffee) Kinney; died Sept. 20, 1903, being the last surviving member of the family.
Edwin B., b. June 8, 1825, married Esther Verbeck.
Allen W., b. May 28, 1828, married Maria Miller, was a member
of Co. A, 82nd P. V.; died Dec. 28, 1864 before Petersburg, Va.
David Olds came as a settler to Orwell before 1812. Here he and his wife Jerusha both died at advanced ages. They had a son Wallace
who sold the homestead and removed West. He had children, Warren, Edith
(Mrs. Nathaniel Lines) and Mary.
Streators were from Vermont, coming to Orwell about 1810-'11. They were Amasa, Lemuel, Nathan and Hannah who married Nathan Maynard.
Amasa married Hannah, daughter of John Lent, lived in Wysox a number of years then removed to Erie, Pa.
Lemuel was a man of prominence in the early political affairs of the county. He was elected Sheriff, 1818, County Commissioner, 1821 and Representative, 1823-'24-'25.
He had the unique distinction of being sheriffed while sheriff, the sale of his property being conducted by the county coroner. While attending the 1825-'26 session of the legislature, he died very suddenly and was buried at Harrisburg. He and his wife Charity (d. Aug. 5, 1824, aged 42 years) left three children, Price F., Lemuel W. and Harriet, aged 20, 14 and 12 respectively in 1826.
John Lyons, a native of Ithaca, N.Y., who had married Jemima, daughter of Richard Horton, came to the Hornbrook settlement in 1813. He was a lumberman, and about 1840 removed to Standing Stone. His children were Isaac, Richard, John, Elizabeth (Mrs. Mahu Horton), Rachel (Mrs. John Bish), Anna J. (Mrs. Christmas Hainsworth), Diana (Mrs. Alonzo Barns) and Mahala (Mrs. F. M. Maynard). The eldest son, Isaac became a prominent and influential business man and was elected County Commissioner, 1861.
He died March 27, 1902 at his home in Allis Hollow, aged 86 years.
William F. Dininger, a Frenchman and somewhat noted as a teacher, came to Wysox before 1810. He taught school in the surrounding neighborhoods; was a merchant in Asylum, 1817 and innkeeper in Wyalusing, 1818-'19. He took an active interest in political matters and was elected county auditor, 1814. He married Elizabeth (Strope) Vanhorn, daughter of Sebastian Strope (I--94) and finally removed to Ohio.
Churchill Barnes, who served in the War of 1812, was a settler in the upper Sugar Creek valley, Troy township, before 1812. He was prominent in the affairs of the new settlement, elected county commissioner, 1827 and many years a justice of the peace.
He married Samantha, daughter of John Dobbins (I--211) and at his death, Dec. 5, 1847, aged 65 years, left everything to his widow.
Chester Gridley, evidently from Vermont, came to Orwell in or before 1812. He was one of the first justices of the peace in the county. He had married Rhoda, daughter of Josiah Grant (I--300); died in 1814, survived by his wife
and children, Harry, Chauncey G., Charlotte, Sally, Lydia P. and Fanny.
Harry died in Orwell previous to 1852, survived by his wife Mary and children, Alice E., Henry N., Mary Ann and Martha C.
Chauncey G. married Sophia Morgan of Dimock, Pa.; spent most of his life in Orwell; died in East Towanda; had sons, Lewis B. (killed in the Civil War) and Elijah C.
Charlotte married Benjamin Buffington of Warren.
Sally married Henry Gibbs and was the mother of Elijah B. and Henry.
Lydia P. died unmarried, 1852.
Fanny married _____ Chaffee and left children, Chester G., Sally and Edgar G.
Jacob Rogers located in Warren, 1812-'13. He had a large family and continued his struggles in the wilderness until his death, January 9, 1830. He was survived by his wife, Sarah, and eight children, Alexander, Dickerson, Philip, Nancy (Mrs. Penuel Corbin), Abrazina, Phebe (Mrs. Daniel Nolton), Hannah and Sarah, four other children, Zebulon, William, Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Wright) and Jacob having died.
Jacob, Jr. died in Warren, 1827, leaving a son, Jacob.
Zebulon left children, Enos, Rebecca, Sally and Maria.
William's children were James, John, William, Gilbert, Eliza, Polly and George.
Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Wright) left children, Daniel, Nancy and Parmelia.
Williston West came to the Harry Decker place in Towanda township before 1812 and cleared a considerable part of the farm. He died in 1819 at an advanced age and was buried at Cole's. His second wife was Susannah, daughter of Benjamin Bosworth by whom he had children, Williston, Andrew, Harrison, Lorenzo and Amy. His widow afterwards married John Haithorn. Williston married Polly Avery; Andrew and Amy went West with the Mormons.
Brague Brothers--Ebenezer Brague came to Ulster, 1812 and settled at Gibson Hollow where he died. He had children, William, Henry, Morris, Elizabeth (Mrs. Chas. Hawkins) and Mary. Horace, brother of Ebenezer, settled in Burlington township. He married Amy Bennett of Sugar Creek, their children being Francis, Louise (Mrs. Burton Northrup), Ellen (Mrs. Nathaniel Strope), Ebenezer, John, Horace, Ann (Mrs. Chas. Cadet) and Nathaniel. Charles, the third brother, lived in Burlington.
He married Nellie Foster and had children, Stephen, Jane, Cynthia, Hannah and Sophronia.
Dimmick--Amasa Dimmick of Tolland county, Conn., was an officer in the Revolutionary war. He left at his death, wife, Matilda and children, Amasa, Simeon, Matilda (Mrs. Aaron Chubbuck), Lucinda, Wealthy, Lois and Nancy. After some of her children had settled in Orwell, Mrs. Dimmick came there and died, 1852.
Amasa Dimmick, son of Amasa and Matilda Dimmick, born, 1787 in Tolland, Conn., came to Orwell, 1812. He engaged in the improvement of land until his death, Aug. 5, 1861. He married, Jan. 17, 1813, Sophia Price (b. 1788, d. April 1, 1885). Their children and marriages follow: Matilda Ellis to Wm. R. Sexton; Rev. Francis Asberry to Drusilla Dawes; Sophia to Levi Hoos; Wealthy to Sabin Allen.
Simeon Dimmick, brother of Amasa, came to Orwell with him the same year, 1812.
He was born 1793, d. 1863. He was a farmer in Orwell; married, 1816, Nancy Robinson. Their children and marriages: Caroline R. never married; Simeon L. to Amanda McKee; Nancy M. to Franklin Dimmick; Harvey E. to 1st Susan Case, to 2nd Dora Chaffee; Harriet N. to T. E. Gridley; Lafayette to Agnes Ryan; Electa to A. Clark Hanford.
John Dimmick, a cousin of Amasa and Simeon, came to Orwell with them or about the same time. His wife was Anna Frost. He died in Orwell, 1836 and she in 1845. They had no children.
Cicero Dimmick, a brother of John, came from Tolland, Conn. to Orwell after his brother and cousins. He was born, 1781, died, 1868. He married, 1808, Mary Charter (b. 1791,
d. 1865). Their children and marriages follow: Mary to Peter Bennett; Horace to Nancy Thatcher; Sarah to James Jones; Eunice to James Cleveland; Franklin to Nancy Dimmick; Daniel to Ann Alderson; Elias to Jane Darrow; Oliva to Arad Pratt; Lois to Huston Platt; Chloe to Simeon G. Rockwell.
Fanning--The family is supposed to be of Norman origin, dating back to Richard Fanyn of Ireland in the 13th century, who was killed in a rebellion against Henry III. Edmund, a descendant of Richard, came to America, 1633, settling at New London, Conn. He served in King Philip's war, as did also, his sons, Edmund, Thomas and John. His son Edmund married Margaret Billings of Stonington and located at Groton. Their son, Jonathan, married Elizabeth Way and had five daughters and sons, Jonathan and David. David was a soldier in the French and Indian war. He was twice married and the father of 18
children. His son Elisha was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving from July 10, 1776 to Feb. 24, 1781. He had children, Elisha, David, Polly, John, Abigail, Amos, Jesse, Betsey, Nancy, Daniel, Alvin, Hiram and Almira.
Elisha Fanning, eldest son of Elisha and Mary (Button) Fanning, was born Sept. 4, 1780 at Groton, Conn. He removed with his parents to West Springfield, Mass. and in 1812 joined the pioneer settlement in Springfield, Bradford county. He cleared and improved a farm at Leona where he died Nov. 2, 1859. He was one of the original members of the Methodist Society of Leonard Hollow and in every respect a worthful citizen. He married 1st, March 11, 1801, Betsey, daughter of Joseph Grace (p. 101); she b. Dec. 15, 1779, d. June 25, 1814; children, Amanda, Eliza, Hiram, William J., Charlotte, David, Grace and Edwin. Mr. Fanning married 2nd Naomi Barber; married 3rd, April 8, 1824, Mrs. Esther (Beach) McKean, daughter of Timothy and Abigail (Bennett) Beach and had children, Amos Button and Luther Jones.
Amanda, born Dec. 23, 1801, married Stephen A. Mills of North Towanda, died Aug. 22, 1879.
Eliza, b. March 17, 1803, married Ephraim Sargeant of Springfield, died March 5, 1885 at Marion, Iowa; children, Ephraim D., Robert A. and Emily V. (Mrs. Joseph L. Flint).
Hiram, b. May 27, 1805, was one of the early school teachers of Springfield, died Aug. 28, 1833, unmarried.
William Jayne, b. March 7, 1807, d. March 15, 1872 at Leona; married 1st Abigail, daughter of Avery and Sally Brown; children, Juliette Maria (Mrs. John F. Porter), Hannah M. (Mrs. James H. Ross), Isaac N., Alina Geraldine (Mrs. Walter E. Ballard); married 2nd Mrs. Henrietta (Hubbard) Bonfoey.
Charlotte, b. Feb. 16, 1809, married, May 2, 1832, John Ward of Springfield, d. May 29, 1884; children, Maria A., Philander L. and Lemira M.
David G., b. Feb. 15, 1811, married, March 14, 1833, Antis, daughter of Alexander and Catherine (Brown) Canedy, died March 15, 1903 at Wetona; children, Rosena Melvina (Mrs. Noah W. Smith), Amanda (Mrs. John C. Leonard), Ira S., Melvin D. and Adelbert C., former district attorney and president judge of Bradford county.
Amos B., b. Jan. 18, 1825, d. Dec. 21, 1897; married 1st Nov. 25, 1846 Martha Ann Smith; child, Ann Elizabeth (Mrs. H. M. Griffith); married 2nd Josephine Bonfoey; married 3rd Carrie Layman.
Luther J., b. Sept. 1, 1827, d. Dec. 31, 1910; married Orrill S. Phelps; children,
Ellen L. (Mrs. James M. Beach), Flora J. (Mrs. Curtis Swain), Clayton M. and Alice J. (Mrs. J. B. Dickinson).
Irvine (originally Irwin)--John Irvine, a Scotchman, emigrated to this country with his parents and settled near Milton, Pa., where he owned a farm. During the Revolutionary war, anticipating the move of the British and Indians, Mr. Irvine loaded his goods in canoes and passed down the river with his family into Cumberland county for safety. While here he died, the family moving back to their old home after the troubles were over. John Irvine was three times married, having children by each wife, 22 in all.
Three of his sons, Andrew, George and Welch came to Bradford county.
Andrew Irvine, the eldest son of John by his third marriage, was born May 28, 1789 in Northumberland county. In 1812 he and his brother Guy C., returning from the war, passed through Towanda. The place at that time was more remarkable for three streams of water running through it than anything else it possessed. The center stream caught the eye of Andrew as the spot to locate a tannery. Accordingly, he purchased a half-acre of ground of William Means and erected a 2 1/2-story log house thereon. In the upper room, he cooked his meals and slept using the lower room for a shop. Mr. Irvine's lot extended from one door south of where M. E. Rosenfield's store now is to Patton's block. His log house stood about 35 feet below Main street back of the Tidd Hotel. The tannery was situated on the creek, north and east of the log house. In 1814 he married Catharine McAffee of Turbot, Pa. Their eldest daughter, Jane, born Oct. 15, 1815, is said to have been the first child to see the light within the original borough limits. In 1828 he built the first brick house in Towanda. He was noted for his good judgment and sterling integrity. From 1824 to '26 he was county treasurer and again in 1830-'31. In 1836 he sold his property in Towanda and removed to Warren county, engaging extensively in lumbering and farming; died Jan. 4, 1853. His children, all born in Towanda, were Jane D., Mary Ann, Benjamin F., Catherine, Guy C. and Thomas J.
George Irvine, half-brother of Andrew, born March, 1775, had moved his brother to Towanda and being pleased with the country, concluded to remove to that section also. Accordingly, in December, 1813 he loaded a lumber wagon with goods and his family and started with a four-horse team for Bradford, coming by the way of Williamsport and Muncy up the Lycoming creek, which he crossed 36 times. He reached Monroe on December 17th after dark. He contracted with the
Asylum Land Company for 200 acres of land in Monroe township and began improvements thereon, in the spring of 1814. Having built a hewed log-house, he moved in with his family, being the first settler between Fowlertown and John Benjamin's in Asylum, a distance of six miles. The home in the wilderness was a dreary one, as not a neighbor's house was in sight and the woods full of panthers, bears and wolves. The last would come at night to within a short distance of their house and make the woods ring with their terrifying howls. Sheep and hogs had to be kept in strong pens at night to be secure from these destructive beasts. Mr. Irvine, with the aid of his sons, after years of hardship and toil, cleared up a large farm and paid for it. One season, crops were a failure and he was required to go to Northumberland for a supply of corn and wheat. Mr. Irvine was noted for his sterling qualities; he was a man of peace and bestowed liberally upon his poor neighbors and toward the public good. His death occurred March 23, 1844.
He had married Feb. 19, 1801, Margaret, daughter of Wm. Reed, a distinguished soldier of the Revolution; she, b. March 26, 1780, d. Feb. 17, 1872. They had eight children as follows:
John, b. Dec. 17, 1801, married 1st Martha Arnout, and had children, Mary Ann (Mrs. Milton Homet), Washington and Martha (Mrs. A. B. Sumner); married 2nd Patience Merritt, no children; married 3rd Emma (Stevens) Place, children resulting John M. and Ada L., died Oct. 16, 1881 in Wyalusing township.
James Reed, b. Nov. 22, 1805, married May 16, 1833, Sarah Bull, died, 1891 at Liberty Corners on the farm which he cleared and improved; was 49 years a pilot on the Susquehanna.
Mary, b. Aug. 22, 1807, married 1st Peter Arnout, 2nd Robert Bull of Asylum; was a lady greatly beloved and retained her mental and physical powers to a most remarkable degree; died April 18, 1901 in her 94th year.
Samuel, b. Jan. 18, 1810, married Margaret Irvine of Warren county, Pa., where he settled and died.
William W., born April 5, 1812, married Eliza Hollon, occupied a part of the homestead, died Oct. 23, 1897.
Anna, b. Feb. 23, 1814, married Joseph Bull, d. April 9, 1881.
George, b. Nov. 11, 1816, married 1st Jane Sweet, 2nd Eunice Heverly, occupied a part of the homestead, d. Sept. 5, 1890.
Rebecca J., b. June 28, 1819, never married, died at Liberty Corners, July 5, 1902.
Welch Irvine, a brother of George, b. June 15, 1780, was a boat builder by occupation and followed boating on the West Branch and the Susquehanna several years.
He came to Monroe from Lewisburg, Pa. with his wife and child in 1814. He settled in the wilderness beyond his brother George; cleared and improved a 100-acre farm where he died Feb. 13, 1850. Mr. Irvine was a man of fine intelligence; "his life was pure and his virtues and integrity unquestioned." He had married July 15, 1810, Miss Mary M. Kester; she, b. Feb. 4, 1793, d. Nov. 16, 1849. Their children were:
John B., b. June 22, 1813, engaged in the foundry business at Towanda some years, died Aug. 16, 1860.
George K., b. April 18, 1815, went to Mississippi when a young man, died March 20, 1901 in Dunn county, Wisconsin.
Guy C., b. Aug. 25, 1816, married Deborah A. Hollon, occupied the homestead, d. 1886.
Catherine M., b. Nov. 27, 1819, married John White of Monroe, d. Aug. 4, 1841.
James W., b. March 6, 1825, married Almira Hollon, many years merchant, postmaster and farmer at Liberty Corners, d. Oct. 9, 1903.
Maria A., b. April 8, 1828, married Harry Benjamin of Asylum, d. April 27, 1903.
Robinson--Capt. Dan Robinson of Granville, Mass. was an officer in the Revolutionary war. He had a son Dan, who married Betsy Cowdry. They had children, Alice, Abigail, Curtis, William, Clarissa, Sophronia, Corintha, Betsy and Chauncy, of whom the following came to Bradford county; Sophronia married Jarvis Lloyd, lived in Orwell and had children, Alphonso, Clarissa, James, Maryette, Sarah, Almond, Robinson, Whitmond, William, Julia and Julius; William married Lydia Parker and had children, Melinda, Olive, Eliza, Orlando, Aurora, James, Almira and Celestina; Carintha married Thrall Blair, lived in Orwell and had children, William, Linus and Addison; Betsy married Jerry Barnes, who died in Mass.; she afterwards came to Orwell with her sons, John, Jerry, Robinson and Chauncy.
Curtis Robinson, son of Dan and Betsy (Cowdry) Robinson, was born Nov. 21, 1783 at Granville, Mass. He came to Orwell in or before 1804, locating in the wilderness at Allis Hollow. His grandson, E. M. Robinson, occupies the farm which he cleared and improved. Mr. Robinson was a noted hunter and performed his part courageously in the new country. He married Rhoda, sister of Joel Barnes, Sr. (p. 9), died Sept. 23, 1854. She, born Oct. 15, 1781 at Blandford, Mass., died Aug. 21, 1871; both inhumed in the Orwell cemetery. Their children and marriages follow; Louisa, to Simon Kinney; Sally to Morris Woodruff; Polly to Rev. Francis S. Chubbuck; Betsy to John Johnson;
Dan to Lucy Howe; Curtis to Rhoda Smith; Wesley to Elsie Wage; Whitmore, when a young man, was killed in assisting moving a building; Linus to Clarissa Norton.
Daniel Brewster, a native of Long Island and said to have been a lineal descendant of Elder William Brewster of Mayflower celebrity, removed to Susquehanna county in 1800 and before 1812 came to Wysox. He married Roxanna Beeman of Wyalusing, enlisted and served in the War of 1812. He finally located on Lime Hill and pursued his vocation of tailoring; died in 1869, aged 92 years. His wife died in 1870. They had 12 children as follows: John married and lived in New York state; Nelson married and lived in Herrick; J. Hartwell married a Miss Washburn, died in Civil War; Eldad, the last surviving member of the family lived in Herrick; Davis went to California and died there; Caroline married John Kissel, died in Herrick; Parmelia married Nathan Coleman of Herrick; Hannah married Joseph Lee of Albany; Sally married Williams, brother of Joseph Lee; Jane married Samuel Woodruff of Wyalusing; Angeline married Horace Beeman of Rome; Philander was a Baptist preacher.
Isaac Miller, born Aug. 15, 1793 at Bennington, Vt., came to Burlington, 1812 and for many years was one of the leading citizens of the town. He served as a justice of the peace and in other local capacities. He married, April 11, 1822, Beulah, daughter of Isaac Morley (p. 102). In 1842 he sold his property in Burlington and removed to Boone county, Ill. where he devoted his time to the cultivation of his 320-acre farm. Here he likewise was a prominent and useful citizen. He died April 14, 1868 at Belvidere.
His wife, born Aug. 7, 1797, died Nov. 27, 1863. Their children and marriages follow:
Asenath, b. May 14, 1823, married Josephus Campbell of Burlington, d. 1841.
Clarkson, b. June 20, 1825, married Maria Daniels, was educated in Oberlin College, Ohio and for over 40 years was a prominent and successful teacher in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas. Died Oct. 13, 1908 in Rush Co., Kan., being the last of the family.
Isaac D., b. Dec. 26, 1827, married Caroline Akin of Crawford Co., Pa., engaged in milling and farming in Illinois, died March 2, 1908 at Belvidere.
Elizabeth, b. May 11, 1830, married Benjamin Tambling, died in Cohocton, N.Y.
Dorastus, b. June 5, 1832, married Nancy Haight, engaged in mining in Michigan and Africa afterwards settled on a farm in Ingham County, Mich., where he died Jan. 1892.
Julia, b. Nov. 17, 1835, married Henry Hill, died Oct. 9, 1890 at Belvidere, Ill.
Alfred, b. July 6, 1837, married Emma Tongue, died July 13, 1901 at Belvidere.
John, b. Aug. 25, 1839, married Ada Strong, died in Idaho.
Frances, b. Jan. 14, 1842, died May 6, 1857 at Belvidere, unmarried.