Gaius Adams, son of Seth Adams, a patriot of the Revolution, born January 18, 1781 at Springfield, Mass., in 1808 emigrated with his brother-in-law, Isaac Cooley, to Springfield township, Bradford county. For two or three years, these two families lived together and shared the hardships of a new country that were almost "famine to them." Maple sugar was the only source by which the wants of the family could be supplied in the spring. This Messrs. Adams and Cooley would "back" to Tioga Point and exchange for provisions and articles of comfort. "While the men were busy chopping a fallow, Mrs. Adams and Mrs. Cooley were making sugar. Dinner time was nearing but what could be got? Mrs. Adams remarked, 'I will find something' and started for the house. A diligent search brought forth a couple of small bags of beans which had been laid away for seed and a pork bone stripped of the meat. A handful of beans was taken from each bag, the
bone broken and boiled with the beans to give them flavor. The bran was next sifted to get material for a cake. In due time, the dinner was spread before the diligent workers and greatly relished, Mrs. Cooley remarking, 'how did you get up such a good dinner'." More than once, Mr. Adams was required to roast pumpkins in log heaps, while clearing his land, to satisfy the demands of an empty stomach. He passed through all the trying experiences without murmur, cleared and improved a fine farm, lived a useful life and died, 1857, highly esteemed by the entire community. Mr. Adams married in Massachusetts, Cynthia, daughter of Bela Kent, a soldier of the Revolution. She was born Oct. 4, 1785, a woman of beautiful Christian life, died Oct. 20, 1862. The children of Gaius and Cynthia Adams, who married as follows, were Henry Lewis to Lucy Sherman of Springfield; Joel to Hannah Strange of Sullivan, Pa.; James to 1st, 1834, Malinda Potter, Troy, to 2nd, 1850, Eliza Mosher, Wells; Bela K. to 1st Mary Cooley, Springfield, to 2nd, Mrs. Louise (Cranmer) Wattles, Rome; Margaret never married; Harriet to Sidney Struble, Dundee, N.Y.; Lucretia to Ambrose Brown, Springfield; Jere to Maria Scott, Smithfield.
The patriot father, Seth Adams, came to Springfield after his son. He died Nov. 18, 1835 in Troy, aged 88 yrs., 8 mos., and 23 days; inhumed in Glenwood cemetery.
Jacob Newell emigrated from Vermont to Springfield township in 1810, settling the farm afterwards occupied by his son, Barnard. The latter died March 3, 1863 in his 70th year, survived by his wife, Olive. Rev. Calvin Newell, born March 7, 1811, was the youngest son of Jacob Newell, who was a brother-in-law of Amaziah Thayer (p. 96).
William Furman, according to family history, was a native of Holland, born in 1758. "In 1776 he immigrated to America, landing at New York. Soon after, he enlisted in the American army in a New Jersey regiment. While with Washington's army on Long Island, he was detailed as sergeant of a detachment to guard the property of Mr. Hallock, a wealthy Quaker. Hallock had a fine well and a guard was placed around it that it might not be polluted. While Sergeant Furman was on duty here, the Quaker's daughter, Abby, brought him a large gourd that he might dip water from the bucket to drink and fill the canteens. He at once fell in love with the Quaker maid and after his term of enlistment had expired, returned to the island and asked her hand in marriage. The stern old Quaker would not permit his daughter to wed a soldier. They eloped and were married in New York, first lived at Delhi, N.Y., afterwards going to Great Barrington, Mass., where they reared a family of eight children."
In 1813, Mr. Furman removed with his family to Columbia township and was a man of prominence in local affairs, being several years a justice of the peace. He is described as a very handsome man. His death occurred in 1818. Mrs. Furman died, 1840, aged 92 years. "She never saw nor heard from any of her family after her marriage and always mourned for her friends." Both rest in Glenwood cemetery, Troy. Their children and marriages follow:
John married Betsy Bogart and was a prominent citizen of Columbia. They had 15 children; Peter S., Harriet (Mrs. Andrew Gernert), Eliza (Mrs. Uel Porter), Cornelius, James, William, Paul, Sally (Mrs. Barlow Gates), Elinus, Fanny, Juliette (Mrs. Chester Updyke), Charles, Mariette (Mrs. James Kinnear), Betsy Ann (Mrs. Raymond Gernert) and Robert.
Elizabeth married Michael Wolf, was the mother of eleven children, died in Columbia township.
Peter married Diadama Holiday and spent his life farming in Columbia. Their children were Maria, John H., Jane (Mrs. Hiram Mason), Pamphelia (Mrs. Wm. B. Watkins), George, William, Hiram, Eurania (Mrs. Decauter Goodrich), Orrin, Volney, Howard, Alvin, Caroline (Mrs. Alanson Taylor) and Philander.
Polly married William Brace of Springfield.
Martha married John Porter of Columbia.
Sally married William Baker of Troy.
Abigail, named for her mother, died unmarried.
Michael Wolf,(See Photo) a native of Connecticut and German parentage, emigrated to Columbia township, 1813, locating in what became widely known as the "Wolf settlement." Here he cleared and improved a large farm and died. He married, Elizabeth, daughter of William Furman. Their children were Abigail (Mrs. Robert Early), William, George, John, James, Michael, Martha (Mrs. Hosea Kennedy), Renselaer, Nelson, Horace and Maria (Mrs. Henry Gifford).
George married Leefe Kennedy and had children, Lydia (Mrs. Chas. W. Joralemon), Susan (Mrs. Oliver O. Besley), Hosea C., Rhoda (Mrs. Eugene Yeomans), John D. and Betsey (Mrs. Jefferson Warner).
James married Anna Mink and had children, William, Martha (Mrs. J. W. Harding), Charles, John, Kate, Thaddeus, Lottie (Mrs. J. W. Gustin), Horace L., Frank and Howard.
Renselaer married 1st Emma, daughter of Obadiah Brown and had a daughter, Alice (Mrs. Abram Joralemon); married 2nd Martha, daughter of James Fries and had sons, Jacob and James.
Nelson married Cecelia Edwards and had children, Sarah J. (Mrs. Dayton Shepard), DeWitt, Mattie (Mrs. Harry Chase) and Maranda; married 2nd Phebe Ferguson.
Horace married Huldah Haynes and had children, George H., Maria (Mrs. Lewis Hammond) and John H.
Joseph Wills located in what is now Troy village before 1812. He was a leading member of the Baptist church and a man of deep piety. He married 1st Abigail, daughter of Aaron Case and 2nd, after her death, his sister-in-law, Rachael, widow of Moses Case. He died, 1848, in Troy, aged 95 years.
John Mints came to Towanda township in 1812 and purchased the Alger property. He was a man of considerable enterprise. Soon after coming to the place, he opened a house of entertainment and built a saw-mill. The mill was supplied with water brought through a race. Very frequently the stream was dry and the mill without motive power, whence the people called it the "dry saw-mill." Mr. Mints took an active part in politics and in 1815 was the candidate for sheriff on the "Merino ticket." He sold in 1819 to Reuben Hale and moved to Pike township. He had a son, Ezekiel B. Mints, who died, 1877 in Herrick.
Benjamin Bosworth, a hatter by occupation, came from Boston about 1814 and settled in Towanda township on the Willis Fisher place. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary war and served an enlistment of nine months in the company commanded by Captain King, Colonel Marshall's regiment of the Massachusetts line. In his affidavit of Sept. 11, 1820, asking the benefits of a pension, he sets forth that he is a hatter by occupation; that his family consists of himself, wife, Mary, aged 68 years, grandson, Peter B. West, aged 12 years and a granddaughter, Amy Bosworth, aged 14 years. Mr. Bosworth died Dec. 27, 1847 in his 94th year and was inhumed at Cole's. A daughter, Susannah, married Williston West and after his death, John Haithorn.
Dr. Caleb W. Miles, a soldier of the Revolution, who had served three years in the company of Capt. Titus Watson under Col. Herman Swift of the Connecticut line, and was prostrated at the battle of Monmouth, came to Towanda about the year 1814. He first located on the road leading to Bowman's between Humphrey Goff's and Mr. Hale's. "He was a reliable man and counted a good physician for the time." William Means induced him to the village and built him a house on the Miller Fox lot. Here he and his wife, Rebecca, lived until his death, May 24, 1834, aged 73 years.
They had one son, George W. Miles, who became a watchmaker and for some years had a shop in Towanda. Both Dr. and Mrs. Miles were originally buried in the Means lot on Second street, their ashes having been removed to the Means plot in Oak Hill cemetery.
Cook--West--Amos Cook was a settler on Sugar Creek in Burlington before 1799. Elijah West from Freehold, N.Y. located near Towanda, evidently the Salisbury neighborhood, about 1805 and there died about 1809. His widow (Polly Salisbury) married Amos Cook who changed his location to Towanda Creek. After some years, the two families removed to Crawford county, Pa. Emeline, daughter of Elijah West, married Henry, son of Joshua Wythe (I--244).
Lemuel Landrus came to Sugar Creek, North Towanda before 1812. He married Phebe, widow of John Smith and occupied the Smith place until 1819 when they sold to Abial Foster. Landrus afterwards lived in Sheshequin until 1837 when he went West. Of this family, Samuel Landrus married Mercy, daughter of Mrs. Phebe (Smith) Landrus; Cynthia Landrus married Aaron Post.
Seneca Simons came to North Towanda with the Rutty family. Here he grew to manhood and in 1815 married Nancy Wilcox. He reared a large family and finally emigrated to Illinois.
Amasa Withey, a gunsmith, located in North Towanda before 1812. He married Elisha Carpenter's widow and lived with her upon the Carpenter place until his death.
Jeduthan Withey came to upper Sugar Creek about 1805. He lived some years in Columbia then removed to Canton township where he died in 1845. He was a soldier, War of 1812, and was popularly known as Major Withey. He left at his death a second wife, Mrs. Phebe (Thorne) Comfort, and children, Lemuel, Elias, Samuel and Roxy.
Shubal Maynard came with his family from Vermont to Troy in 1809. That section was still a great wilderness infested with destructive wild beasts. The family suffered many privations and hardships. One spring provisions were very scarce and "the last parcel was at the mill. To appease intense hunger, the straw ticks were emptied and the few remaining kernels found for a porridge. Potatoes were very rare, the eyes were cut out for seed and the balance used for food." Mr. Maynard cleared and improved a farm upon which he died in 1845. He was twice married. The children by his first wife were Archibald and Kate (Mrs. Stoddard), and by Polly, his second wife, Olive (Mrs. Erastus Booth), Cyrus, Amos, Susan, Lois and Abby Ann (b. Aug. 1827, m. Nov. 11, 1846, James McClelland, d. Jan. 29, 1899). Susan (Mrs. Geo. W. Shattuck) was the last survivor of the family.
Hewitts---Gurdon Hewitt and his sons, Calvin, Dudley, Gurdon and Wheaton came to Monroe as lumbermen, 1812, and for some years operated a saw-mill at Masontown. "Mr. Hewitt was a keen, stirring man and did quite an extensive business." He died in 1816 and the estate was settled by Gurdon, Jr. as administrator. The other sons went to Pine Creek and continued lumbering. Their sister, Eunice, was the first wife of Wm. Means, Jr.
Gurdon, Jr. married Celinda, daughter of Wm. Means and opened a store in Towanda, 1819. He served as county treasurer 1821-'22. In 1823 he removed to Owego, engaged in the mercantile business and in 1849 became a banker. He was remarkably successful and at his death in 1871 his estate was valued at over a million dollars. Frederick C. Hewitt, the millionaire and richest man in Tioga county, who died in 1908, was his youngest son.
While engaged in business in Towanda, Mr. Hewitt advertised in The Settler as follows: "NEW GOODS--Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! The subscriber having experienced a good run of business while there was some money in the country, is resolved, during the present scarcity of cash, to evince his gratitude to his customers and the public by doing business without a profit. The goods on hand together with a few packages of fresh goods to be opened next week will undergo considerable reduction in price: Young Hyson tea, best, $1.00; coffee, $1.00; tobacco, good, 20c; factory shirting, from 13c to 15c; stripes and plaids, 20c to 25c; nails 12 1/2c. Other articles in that proportion. Maple sugar and flax seed received in payment.
Towanda, Aug. 23, 1821 G. Hewitt."
Kingsley--John Kingsley came from England and lived at Dorset, Mass. from 1635-'48, afterwards at Rebbath and died June 6, 1677 at Taunton. He had a son, John, who married Sarah Sabin and lived at Windham. He died in 1732 leaving seven children. His son Amos married Ruth Adams of Canterbury, Conn. and in 1760 moved to Becket, Mass., where he died April 23, 1787, aged 90 years. Their children were Nathaniel, John, Joseph, Elijah, Alec, Abiah, Ruth, Amos and Isaiah. Isaiah married 1st Abigail Palmer and had nine children, married 2nd Sarah Palmer and had three children.
Isaiah Kingsley, son of Isaiah, born May 22, 1781 at Becket, Mass., came to Smithfield township, 1811 with his brother Sloan. He settled the Merritt Wood farm which he cleared and improved. He was an industrious pioneer and bore all his privations and hardships without murmur; died 1863. He married, April 1807, Arthusia Fuller (b. April 13, 1785). Their children and marriages follow: Isaiah Adna, b. Sept. 10, 1803, married Sept. 20, 1837, Ruth S. Brown, d. March 21, 1889; Esther married, January 1, 1832, John W. Miller; Orrin P. married,
Nov. 24, 1839, Mary A. Farnsworth; Abigail married, May 27, 1841, Merritt Wood; Sally married, January 6, 1848, Henry B. Brigham; Annie never married.
Sloan Kingsley, brother of Isaiah, who came from Becket to Smithfield with him, 1811, located on the Chester Cranmer place. Here he died, 1821, survived by his wife Almira I. and children, Harmon, Harriet and Rhoda (Mrs. David Ross).
Bela Kent, son of Dudley and Hannah (Granger) Kent, was born May 19, 1757 in Suffield, Conn. On the 13th of December, 1775, he enlisted under Capt. Ebenezer Huntingdon in the 22nd regiment, commanded by Samuel Willis of Connecticut. "He crossed the Delaware with Washington, was in the battle of Brandywine, wintered at Valley Forge and was at West Haven Island when the Americans evacuated New York city and the British crossed from Long Island and took possession. Having received no orders to retreat, Mr. Kent's company was surrounded by the enemy. They cut their way through the British lines and after great exertion reached the American forces. Mr. Kent served six years, was promoted to corporal and in his closing days was granted a pension of $116 per year." Soon after the war, he removed to Schenectady, N.Y., thence about 1815 to Springfield township, Bradford county. Here he continued to reside until his death, Dec. 16, 1834. His remains repose in the Grover cemetery. He had married Lucretia ______ and had children, Bela, Henry, Cynthia, Hannah and Margaret.
Bela died in young manhood.
Henry went West, died in Illinois, 1879.
Cynthia married Gaius Adams of Springfield.
Harriet married a Mr. Bedortha and lived near Springfield, Mass.
Margaret married Isaac Cooley of Springfield.
Hon. Edward Herrick, the 3rd Judge of Bradford county, was born October 26, 1787 at Amenia, Dutchess county, N.Y. The name is of English origin, the family in America being descendant from Henry Herrick who settled at Salem in 1629. Rufus Herrick, grandfather of Edward, held a captain's commission in the provincial army of New York and retired from the service with the rank of colonel. He was present at the assault on Ticonderoga. His son Samuel, who was the father of Edward, served as an orderly under him and at the close of his term of service retired to the ancestral estate at Amenia. Samuel Herrick married Margaret Per Lee, who was of Huguenot parentage.
(Illustration of Hon. Edward Herrick)
Of a family of ten children, Edward Herrick was the fifth son. In early life he was placed under the tuition of Rev. John Barnet, a noted clergyman residing in Dutchess county. After remaining several years under the tuition of Mr. Barnet, Dec. 6, 1804, he entered as a student of law, the office of his cousin, Gen. John Brush at Poughkeepsie. Here he remained till June, 1806, when he started for the state of Ohio. On his way thither, he paid a visit to his brother, Walter Herrick, who was engaged in mercantile pursuits at "Tioga Point," this county. Going to Zanesville, Ohio, he entered the law office of his brother, Samuel Herrick, where he pursued his studies for a year, thence proceeded to Chillicothe. Here he continued his legal studies until admitted to the bar from the office of his cousin, Henry Brush, Esq., Aug. 8, 1808, being then some months under age. He immediately entered upon the practice of his profession in Newark, in the county of Licking, and rode the circuit of the counties of Muskingum, Guernsey, Licking, Knox and Tuscarawas. In 1810 he was appointed district attorney for the three last named counties.
In 1812, on his return to Ohio, after a short sojourn in Athens, the war with England having broken out, Mr. Herrick was commissioned colonel of a militia regiment, and in the same year was elected to the Ohio legislature from the county of Licking, while still under the age required by law to qualify him for the office. In December, 1812, he took his seat and soon after signalized his advent to the place by introducing a resolution, which proposed to organize the legislative body into a battalion for home defense. The resolution failing, he remained in his seat until the adjournment of the legislature and then became engaged in the occupations incident to his military office. In 1813 the northern border of Ohio was the field of active military operations. Mackinaw had been taken, Hull had surrendered at Detroit and the whole peninsula of Michigan was under the enemy's control. The frontier settlements of Ohio were harassed by English and Indian allies, and the defeat of General Winchester had spread consternation throughout the state. The excitement incident to these events determined the people to their own defense and inspired the militia organizations in which Colonel Herrick took part. The seriousness of the situation had prompted his action in the legislature. But the magnitude of the danger brought to the defense of the state the regular troops, and the battle of Lake Erie finally restored the arms and authority of the government.
In the summer of 1813 Colonel Herrick returned to Pennsylvania and took up his residence in Athens. Here he resumed the active practice of the law in Bradford and the adjoining counties. The court records show that he was admitted to practice in the several courts of Bradford county, Aug. 17, 1813. In July, 1814, Colonel Herrick was appointed brigade inspector by Governor Snyder of the counties of Bradford, Lycoming, Potter, McKean and Tioga. July 6, 1818, he was commissioned president judge of the 13th judicial district or circuit comprising the counties of Bradford, Susquehanna and Tioga by Gov. William Findlay. He continued on the bench until Feb. 27, 1839, when he was succeeded by Hon. John N. Conyngham. In 1836, among the various public duties that had been imposed upon him, Judge Herrick was appointed by President Jackson a member of the board of visitors to the West Point military academy. Taking an active interest in public improvements, he was a delegate in 1825 to the canal convention at Harrisburg and strongly advocated the construction of the North Branch canal. The townships of Herrick in Bradford and Susquehanna counties were named in honor of Judge Herrick during his occupancy of the bench. The retirement of Judge Herrick from the bench closed his active professional life; from that period down to his death, which took place March 7, 1873, he remained in comparative retirement from public life. "Judge Herrick accumulated a handsome fortune by the prudent management of his affairs. His life was an example of probity and prudence, of well-appointed talents usefully exerted and fitly rewarded in every station he had been called to fill. In person he was above the ordinary stature, graceful in carriage, and in his latter days, as in his youth, a model of comeliness and dignity. His bearing bore always traces of that peculiar discipline to mind and manners which comes of a temperate habit and the exertion of an intelligent will, animated by an earnest principle and a benevolent and conscientious spirit. Of him, with all his worldly honors, his spotless life and manly virtues, his talents of head and heart, it may be said, as justly as it was ever said of mortal man--'He bore without abuse the grand old name of gentleman'."
Judge Herrick married 1st, Nov. 5, 1810, Celestia, daughter of Dr. Stephen Hopkins and had children, Castle H., Edward C., Helen Eliza; married 2nd, Rebecca, daughter of Andrew Ross of Washington, D.C. and had children, Andrew R., Edmond P. and Robert R.; married 3rd Eliza H., daughter of Judge Foote of Cooperstown, N.Y. Children married as follows: Castle Hopkins, b. Dec. 10, 1811, m. March 2, 1832, Rachel M., daughter of Samuel Herrick, d. Sept. 22, 1865; Edward Curran, b. June 22, 1814, m. Eliza Tyler; Helen Eliza, b. May 19, 1818, m. Chauncey N. Shipman; Andrew Ross, b. Aug. 4, 1833, died Oct. 21, 1852, unmarried; Edmond Per, b. Aug. 20, 1834, occupies the homestead, unmarried; Robert Rose, b. June 8, 1839, died Feb. 12, 1860, unmarried.
Samuel D. Goff, a Revolutionary soldier, came from Connecticut to Standing Stone in 1813. Here he lived until his death, 1823. Of his children, Sally married Sylvester Barns and died in Rome; Thankful married Albegence Stevens, who, after the death of his first wife married her sister, Laura; Mary married John Terwilliger; Anson went West and died there; Lewis, b. March 19, 1805, died in Rome, 1897; married Charlotte M. Taylor and had children, Lorenzo Solon, Theodore and Edmond Frank.
Samuel Conant, a clothier by occupation, came to Troy in 1813. He purchased of Adrial Hebard and was associated with him in the fulling-mill below Long's mills. The following appeared in The Settler: "The valuable fulling-mill and carding machine, situated in Troy township and owned by Samuel Conant & Co., were consumed by fire on the morning of March 21, 1822." Another mill was built on about the same site in 1840 by Clement Paine. This was also destroyed by fire in November, 1875. Mr. Conant disposed of his interests in Troy, 1841.
Amos Himes located in "Himes Hollow," Troy township in or before 1813. Here he cleared and improved land until his death, 1843. Of his children, Charles; Lydia married Cyrus Holcomb of LeRoy; Tyrus married Emeline Holcomb of LeRoy, removed to Illinois, 1845, and finally to Washington where he died, 1879.
Reuben Nash settled in Columbia township, 1813, having purchased the improvements of Moses Taylor. He was a prominent and successful pioneer. In 1818, he was appointed the first postmaster for Sylvania, previous to which, Athens was the nearest point of postal communication. His death occurred January 18, 1842, his wife Harriet and these children surviving, Reuben, James, Abigail (Mrs. Abraham Moore), Marietta (Mrs. Silas Smith), Harriet (Mrs. Allen Taylor 2nd) and Helen.
David Forrest was born June 24, 1754 at Houghton, Windham county, Vermont. In March, 1777 he enlisted as a private in the regiment commanded by Col. Wm. Shepard of the Massachusetts line and served three years, when he was discharged at West Point.
After his discharge, he was orderly sergeant of an Independent military company at Houghton. In February, 1814, he removed from Vermont to Smithfield township, settling on the Fosburg farm. "When he came to Smithfield, he had quite an amount of money for those times. He was not only patriotic in the service of his country but was equally zealous in his Master's cause. He was a consistent member of the M. E. church and an exhorter. Nothing would please him better than to mingle his voice in praise and thanksgiving to his Master. In his old age, he would go from Smithfield to Burlington on foot, a distance of 16 miles, to attend quarterly meeting." Mr. Forrest married Abigail, daughter of Solomon and Jemima Morse (p. 26) who removed from Vermont to Smithfield in 1801. Their children were David, Experience, Oliver, Daniel, Esther, Darius, Abigail, Susanna, Azubah, Asa, Ira and Solomon. The patriot father who was given a pension for the services rendered his country, died July 2, 1835, aged 81 years. His wife died in 1837, aged 82 years. Their remains repose in Union cemetery, Smithfield. They left a large posterity, who were infused with patriotism, seven out of one family having served in the Civil War.
John Cummins came to Ridgebury, 1813, from Hartford, Washington county, N.Y. His wife was a sister of James Covell. He sold to Abiram Pierce, 1845 and died with his son John in the 50's.
Calvin West came with John Cummins to Ridgebury, 1813. He engaged in lumbering and milling and was very successful. He served as captain of militia and was popularly known as Captain West. About 1870 he sold out and removed to Wisconsin.
Jonathan Kent, who had married a daughter of Roswell Goff, came from Chemung to Ridgebury, 1813. He settled where the village of Bentley Creek now is. After several years, he sold and removed to Big Flats, N.Y.
James Covell, who had served as a captain in the War of 1812, came to Ridgebury, 1816, from Hartford, Washington county, N.Y. He purchased the possession of Silas Campbell, cleared and improved a fine farm. He experienced many hardships. In 1816, "the year without a summer," he paid $13 for a barrel of rye flour at Tioga Point. He died upon the homestead, 1864, aged 83 years, his wife Hannah and these children surviving, William, Polly (Mrs. James Otterson), James, Sally (Mrs. Rinaldo Chamberlain), Nancy (Mrs. John W. Brown) and Calvin T. Another daughter had married Calvin West.
Thomas Pemberton, a native of London, England, emigrated from Connecticut to Springfield township with his family, 1808.
He located near the Center but was not a permanent resident. He had a family of 10 children, Thomas, Norton, Henrietta, Polly, Richard, Gabriel R., Henry, Elizabeth, Ardon K. and Isabel.
William Evans, a native of New Hampshire, came to Springfield township with his father-in-law, Maj. John Parkhurst, 1813. Here he lived until middle life then removed to Lawrenceville, Pa., where he died, 1846. By his wife Sarah, he had children, Sarah Maria (Mrs. Reuben P. Brown), Allison H., Martha Rosetta (Mrs. Thos. J. Lake), William M. and Curtis P.
Joseph Webster came from Tolland county, Conn. to Windham, 1813. He purchased of the Smiths and engaged somewhat extensively in lumbering. In 1820 he was appointed a justice of the peace and served until his death, August, 1830. He had been induced to the locality by his brother-in-law, Parley Johnson (p. 179). Surviving at his demise were his wife Achsah and children, Joseph B., George W., Washington, Almira Ann (Mrs. John L. Howell), Anna M. (Mrs. George Smith), Angeline and Achsah. His widow married, 1832, Nathan Doane.
Elisha Whitney, a native of Spencer, Mass., born 1747, served as a private in Col. Jonathan Warner's regiment on the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, and also in Capt. Joel Green's company under Col. Ebenezer Larned, serving 3 months and 3 days. He married 1782, Esther, daughter of Asa Clark, a Massachusetts school teacher. Mrs. Whitney (then Miss Clark) was present with Gen. Joseph Warren's wife when she learned the sad fate of that gallant officer at Bunker Hill. Soon after their marriage, they removed to Stockbridge, Mass. where they lived until 1810, then emigrated to the Wyoming Valley. In 1816, Mr. Whitney came to Wysox with his family and here resided until his death, July 4, 1832, aged 85 years. His wife died February 1, 1851, aged 88 years. Both are buried in the Wysox cemetery. They had ten children, all born at Stockbridge, as follows:
Rebecca died in Wysox unmarried.
Dr. Asa Clark, who was a physician of great ability, was the first resident physician of Kingston. In 1810 he was commissioned a justice of the peace for Burlington and Wysox, and in 1820 was elected register and recorder of Luzerne county. He married first a daughter of Col. Benj. Dorrance and had children, Benjamin, Mary and Nancy; married 2nd Susan Inman and had daughters, Elizabeth and Jerusha.
Elizabeth married Joseph M. Piollet (p. 96) and was the mother of Victor E., Joseph E., Frances T. (Mrs. Alexander Dewing),
Emily V. (Mrs. Thos. T. Wierman) and Elizabeth J. (Mrs. D. C. Salisbury).
Sally died Dec. 3, 1812, unmarried.
Elliott, b. 1791, came to Wysox in or before 1812 and engaged in farming and lumbering; he married, 1817, Maria Goodwin; died March 12, 1836, aged 45. Their children and marriages follow: Marshall G.,to Louise Vorpe; Elizabeth to Dr. David L. Scott; Charlotte to Rev. Abner Brush; Elliott to Celinda Stevens; Isaac N. to Mary Worden; Brunette to James B. McDonald.
Alvin, b. Dec. 31, 1793, engaged in farming and lumbering in Wysox, died Nov. 5, 1872; married 1st, Feb. 11, 1819, Mary Woodburn, married 2nd, March 10, 1850, Nancy Woodburn. Children (all by former marriage) and marriages follow: Asa Clark never married; Sarah died at 12 years; Ellen never married; Andrew Jackson to Olive A. Maynard; Mary H. never married; Charles Carroll to Margaret Vought; Allen Dorrance never married; Emily V. to Dr. Wm. Rice.
Ebenezer, b. Dec. 15, 1795, married Nov. 25, 1818 Betsey Woodburn, died April 16, 1838 in Wysox. Their children and marriages: Rebecca died at 20 unmarried; John to Helen Stowe; Bertrand to Mary Brown; Frances to Burke Bennett; Septimus died unmarried; Alvin to Hattie Furman; Amelia and Nancy died unmarried; Lucius E. to Mary Cooley.
Dr. Elisha, b. July 25, 1797, a graduate of Hamilton medical college, practiced at Wyalusing; it is said his library was the largest in the county; he married Sally, daughter of Humphrey and Hannah (Dodge) Brown; died January 10, 1847. Their children and marriages: Ellen to Daniel Coolbaugh, Wysox; James Monroe to Mrs. Edith Fawkes Woodfield of Stroud, Eng.; Darwin to Laura Bixby of Winnebago, Ill.; Sallie to Lyman Morgan, Wysox; Elisha to Cornelia Rugg, Sylvania; Esther to Harrison Lamb, Wyalusing; Mary Elizabeth to Jesse Allen, Wysox; Ebenezer to Adaline Blasdell, Montrose; Joseph Marie to Priscilla Anne Straw of Winnebago, Ill.
Esther, b. Dec. 23, 1799, married Moses, son of Napthali Woodburn; died among her children in Iowa.
Alanson, b. July 1, 1801, married Laura Towner and spent his last years at Monroeton. Their children and marriages: Electa died at 18; Franklin; Emeline to Henri Chubbuck; Clara to 1st Mr. Mingos, to 2nd Mr. Griggs.
John Horton, son of Lieut. John Horton and Mary De la Montanye, was born Jan. 25, 1788 in Wyoming, Pa. He married Sarah Wickizer of Wyoming and removed with his family to Bradford county, 1814, settling on Wysox creek, Rome township.
He purchased a timber tract of about 300 acres, which he cleared up and improved. He built a saw-mill on the creek near his residence and for a number of years also engaged in lumbering. He died Dec. 10, 1852, and his wife, April 6, 1863, aged 75 years; both inhumed in the Wysox cemetery. They had seven children as follows:
Mary, b. Nov. 23, 1810, married Wm. Trout, d. Sept. 24, 1864.
Rosina, b. Nov. 25, 1813, died unmarried.
Sarah Ann, b. Oct. 8, 1816, married Jarvis Buttles of Orwell, d. Aug. 7, 1881.
John, b. March 11, 1819, married Sarah Wickizer; children, Byron R., Lemuel and Ira. Mr. Horton was a soldier of the Civil War as were his sons, Byron and Lemuel; died in Michigan.
Josiah, b. Feb. 16, 1823, married Mary Lung and occupied the homestead; children, Emma (Mrs. G. H. Horton), Reese A. and Dayton.
Miami, b. 1825, married Douglass Walker.
Emily, b. 1827, married John Jason Vanness, d. May 3, 1867.
Jonathan Thompson came to the Ulster neighborhood before 1812. He enlisted and served in the War of 1812. In 1820 he settled at Hornbrook where he continued to reside until his death in the 50's. His wife Mary died, 1838. Samuel Thompson, a brother, also resided at Hornbrook, some years. He finally removed to Franklin township and died there.
Freeman Gillett, a mechanic of superior skill, came to Sheshequin in 1813. A number of substantial buildings built by him are yet standing. Mr. Gillett spent his last days with a daughter in Springfield township.
Jabez Sill, born March 6, 1763 at Lyme, Conn., was a son of Jabez and Elizabeth (Noyes) Sill. His paternal ancestor, John Sill, came from Lyme, England to Cambridge, Mass. in 1637. John had a son, Capt. Jabez Sill, who had sons Andrew, Thomas, Joseph and Zachariah. Joseph Sill, Jr. married Phoebe Lord and had 12 children, of whom Jabez and Richard, born Aug. 4, 1722, were twins. Jabez married Elizabeth Noyes and removed to the Wyoming Valley, being one of the five families who were settled at Wilkes-Barre in 1772. His children were Elizabeth (married Col. Nathan Denison--this being the first marriage in Wyoming), Mary (Mrs. James Gould), Naomi (wife of Capt. John P. Schotts), Esther (Mrs. Jonathan Fitch), Shadrach, Dr. Elisha N., Jabez, Moses, Amasa and Sarah (died in childhood). Shadrach and Elisha were members of Capt. Durkee's company in the Revolutionary war.
Jabez, only a lad, was at the battle of Wyoming and stood sentry at the fort during the battle. He afterwards joined Capt. John Franklin's company and served until the close of the war. In 1816 he removed to Bradford county, settling at Macedonia, where he continued to reside until his death, July 29, 1838. He was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Haight by whom he had one son, William. He married for his second wife Mary Osborn and had children, Sedley, Daniel, Jabez, Joseph and Lydia.
William married Catharine Sims and settled in Herrick township; children, George, Charles, Lydia (Mrs. Marcina Patch), Eliza (Mrs. Francis Viall), Edwin, Phoebe Ann (Mrs. Edwin Keeler), Joseph and Butler.
Sedley married 1st Abigail M. Barber, 2nd Mrs. Jane Clark; settled at Dansville, N.Y.
Daniel married Harriet Hungerford and removed to Maysville, California.
Jabez was thrice married; lived at Dansville and Lockport, N.Y.
Joseph married Ellen Coolbaugh and lived in Macedonia; their children were Miles, Charles Morris, Hannah, Emily, Ann and Mary.
Lydia married William Cook of Wilkes-Barre.
Dr. Ozias Spring came from Connecticut to Milltown, 1808, succeeding Dr. Prentice as a practicing physician. He also taught school a long time in connection with his practice. He was an active Baptist, licensed to preach, 1820 and ordained, 1827. He however did not preach long, continuing the practice of medicine until his death, March 21, 1860, aged 76 years. He married, 1809, widow Olive Grant, sister of John Shepard. She died July 20, 1850, aged 83 years. Of their children: Orrin B., b. Jan. 18, 1810, d. Jan. 3, 1893, married 1st Henrietta Ferguson, 2nd Emma A. Stevens, no children by either wife; Pamelia D., b. Nov. 15, 1811, d. 1906, unmarried; Emily E., b. 1813, d. 1896, married Cornelius Cuyler of Aurora, N.Y., and had a daughter, Emily.
Dr. Thomas Thomson Huston, son of Capt. Thomas Huston, a zealous patriot of the Revolution, and Jenette Walker (parents both Scotch-Irish Presbyterians), was born at Carlisle, Pa. Having prepared for the medical profession, in 1812, he came to Athens, married Eliza, daughter of Dr. Stephen Hopkins, and began practice, continuing until 1824 when he removed to the West Branch but returned to Athens in 1832. He opened a drug store, was a drover and several years a justice of the peace. "His reputation as a physician and surgeon gave him a good practice but much of it was among the poor, whom he served as long as he could go; and he was careless in collecting, so that he
never gained property. Dr. Tom, as he was familiarly called, was long, loose and lank, a veritable Scot, with a kindly eye and a fund of ready Irish wit." He held a high position in the Masonic order. Originally a Federalist, he joined in the Jackson movement and thenceforth was an uncompromising Democrat. He died May 2, 1865 in Athens, aged 73 and his wife, July 17, 1856, aged 62 years. They reared four daughters (Sallie W., Rebecca I. and two others) and one son, Charles Thomas, who read law, but engaged in newspaper work in Bradford and Lycoming county.
Thomas H. White--The Whites owned large tracts of land in Athens, Columbia, Sheshequin and other towns. About 1812, Thomas H. White established headquarters at Ulster for the sale of these lands. After a few years, he returned to Philadelphia and engaged in the mercantile business.
Califf--The first of the family to settle in this country was Robert Calef, born in England, 1648, came with his wife Mary and children to Boston about 1687 and died April 13, 1719 at Roxbury, Mass. He was a man of courage and talent and was the author of "More Wonders of the Invisible World," a book which had much to do with the overthrow of the witchcraft delusion. He had four sons and two daughters. Stephen Calef, a descendant of Robert, was born March 15, 1734 in Boston, Mass. He married, 1755, Anna Stearns of Waltham and had children, Anna (Mrs. Samuel Wood), Stephen, Ezra, Abigail (Mrs. Samuel Farwell), Lois (Mrs. Jonathan Allen), Lovira (Mrs. Joseph Darby) and Eunice. He served as a minuteman from Westminster during the Revolutionary war.
Stephen Califf (Calef), son of Stephen and Anna (Stearns) Calef, was born March 14, 1767 at Westminster, Mass. When a young man, he went to Halifax, Vt., where, August 9, 1787, he married Ruth, daughter of David and Experience (Streeter) Allen. He settled in the wilderness near Green river where he cleared and improved a farm and reared a large family. In 1814, tiring of the struggle among the rocks and stones and scanty income from a cold and sterile soil, he sold his farm that he might better his condition by going west and joining his two eldest sons already settled in Smithfield, Bradford county. Accordingly, on the 4th of October, with his goods and effects loaded on a huge wagon drawn by four oxen, the family, 13 in all, in a two-horse wagon and driving two cows to afford milk for their use, farewell was bid to the old home and the journey commenced. After a stop of three days in Owego, N.Y., Smithfield was reached on the 24th. Mr. Califf purchased 190 acres of the Thorp tract, 2 miles east of East Smithfield and in 1815 began
life over again in the wilderness. In common with the other pioneers, he experienced many dangers and hardships. "One night a large bear entered his sheep pen near the house, seized a choice mutton and lugged it off." After clearing and improving 130 acres of his farm, feeling the weight of years, in 1839 Mr. Califf sold and removed to Smithfield Center, where he died April 10, 1842. His wife, b. Aug. 15, 1770, died Aug. 13, 1847; both buried in Union cemetery, Smithfield. Their children were all born at Halifax, Vt. "The family has been quiet, peace-loving, industrious, and temperate. There have been three ordained ministers among the grandchildren and one lawyer. Several of the grandsons served with distinction in the Civil War, one being killed at Vicksburg." Children and marriages follow:
Stephen, b. April 28, 1788, in 1813 with his brother Ezra, their all in knapsacks upon their backs, came on foot to Smithfield where, after prospecting, each purchased 120 acres of land on Bucks creek. Here in company with their brothers, Jonathan and Hosea, 1822, they built a saw-mill and grist-mill. Stephen took an active part in military affairs and served as lieutenant before leaving Vermont. He married, Aug. 18, 1816, Matilda Perkins (b. June 24, 1801 at Goshen, Conn.); died April 28, 1874 in Smithfield.
Ezra, b. May 9, 1790, came to Smithfield with his brother, Stephen, 1813; married Samantha, daughter of Reuben Mitchell (I--245); removed to Illinois, 1836 and died there, 1844.
Ruth, b. May 31, 1792, married Martin Hurlbut; died July 8, 1857 in Smithfield.
Jonathan, b. May 2, 1794, married 1st Polly Chamberlain, 2nd Cynthia Orton; served as Captain of Independent company of militia; died March 22, 1871 in Smithfield.
Joel, b. Oct. 10, 1796; married Jane Salisbury; removed to Illinois, 1844 and died there, 1860.
Lois, b. Dec. 12, 1798, married Oct. 22, 1826, Eleazer King; died May 28, 1865 in Smithfield.
Hosea, b. Aug. 4, 1801; married Oct. 6, 1831, Mary Pierce; died Feb. 12, 1881 in Smithfield.
Samuel, b. April 25, 1803; died in Smithfield, Dec. 7, 1829, unmarried.
Enos, b. June 13, 1807, married, April 30, 1837, Luzina Bird; was a carpenter and millwright; several years major of militia; died Nov. 13, 1898 in Springfield.
Anna, b. March 22, 1809, married Billings Pierce; died June 10, 1888 in Elmira, N.Y.
Rufus, b. Oct. 14, 1810, married, Feb. 24, 1832, Phebe Lockwood Thomas; died April 16, 1888 in Smithfield.
Allen, b. Aug. 17, 1812, married Hannah Arnold Thomas; died Jan. 4, 1888 in Smithfield.
Samuel Severance, a native of Massachusetts, removed from Shelburne to Bradford county, settling at Springfield in 1815. "At the age of 18 years, he entered into the American army as a cook for General Washington and served in that capacity till 1781, when he enlisted to serve in the ranks, taking place of his father who had been called upon." His record of service is contained in his affidavit of Dec. 12, 1820 asking for the benefits of a pension as follows: "That he the said Samuel Severance upon his oath doth declare that he served in the Revolutionary war as a private soldier, enlisting March 21, 1781 in a company commanded by Capt. Francis Green in the regiment of Col. Joseph Vose of the Massachusetts line and continued to serve in said regiment until the 8th of June, 1783 when he was discharged; that his family consists of himself and wife, aged 58 years, both enjoying a tolerable degree of health." Mr. Severance married Azuba Smith. Their children and marriages follow: Sarah to David Phinney; Mary to Oliver Gates; Patience to John Harkness; Clarissa to Almon Berry; Samuel. The patriot father died, 1835; inhumed in Grover cemetery, Springfield.