Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1800-1825
Vol. II - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 221-236
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.


Photo by Joyce M. Tice 04 Jun 2000
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
(Page 221, Pioneers and Patriot Families continued)

Isaac Pratt, son of Daniel and Abigail (Bigelow) Pratt, was born March 10, 1758 at Colchester, Conn. He served three years in the Revolutionary war.

(Page 222)

In 1793 he came to Wyalusing, where he married Theodosia, daughter of Lieut. James and Hannah (Loomis) Wells (I--102). After eight years, he moved to Susquehanna county, locating just across the line, being the founder of what has since been known as Prattville. Here he died Jan. 3, 1822. His wife Theodosia, by whom he had nine children, born Oct. 23, 1770, died Feb. 27, 1814. He married 2nd, Feb. 4, 1815, Rhoda Bronson (b. Jan. 3, 1783, d. Feb. 4, 1838; she married 2nd Bela Ford). Children and marriages follow:

Betsey, b. Aug. 29, 1794; married May 9, 1809, Stephen K. Drinkwater.

Russell, b. Nov. 11, 1796; married Aug. 27, 1817 Olive, daughter of Elijah and Mary (Knapp) Towner; died April 8, 1861 in Towanda; children, Matilda (Mrs. Lyman E. DeWolf), Dr. Leonard, Calvin, Mary (Mrs. Andrew J. Easterbrooks), Dr. David S., Angeline (Mrs. Henry A. Burbank), Julia (Mrs. Timothy L. Olmstead), Sophronia E. (Mrs. Samuel W. Rodgers) and Hon. Joseph W.

Sophia, b. July 21, 1801; married, Nov. 27, 1823, Levi Camp (I--226).

James Wells, b. April 26, 1803; married 1st, Jan. 19, 1824, Ruth Canfield, 2nd, Aug. 16, 1852, Dorothy Smith Davis; died Sept. 8, 1867.

Hubbel, b. April 2, 1805; married Jan. 21, 1827, Esther Canfield.

Daniel, b. March 3, 1807; married March 5, 1829, Elizabeth Skinner; died July 20, 1870.

Lydia, b. March 9, 1810; married March 20, 1833, P. B. Sturdevant; died Aug. 17, 1847.

Isaac, b. March 12, 1812; married 1st, Oct. 3, 1837, Eliza Farnsworth Tupper, 2nd, Oct. 3, 1842, Lucinda D. Chubbuck; died Feb. 22, 1863.

Polly, b. March 3, 1816; married John Skinner.

Theodosia, b. July 8, 1817; married John Heath.

Phoebe Ann, b. April 21, 1820; married John Clink.

Amos Abbott located on Sugar Creek in Burlington soon after 1800. He married Catharine, daughter of George Bloom. In 1818 they sold to James and E. Long and moved to Canton. They had a son, John.

Zoroaster Porter came from Vermont to Troy, 1808. Here he lived some years then moved to Granville, being one of the pioneers of that township. He cleared and improved a farm upon which he died. His wife was Anna Keeler. They had four sons, Seth K., Minor T., Major B. and Albert. Minor T. married Anna, daughter of Abijah Ayres and had children, Edward, Sally (Mrs. Fred Black), Roxie (Mrs. Sheely Ayres), Nancy (Mrs. John Grantier) and Theodore F.

Jesse Marvin, a sash and chair-maker, located at Burlington, 1812. He put up a shop and turned his work by a foot lathe. It was slow work but three chairs to a cabin was a luxury. After a few years, he removed to other parts.

(Page 223)

Thomas Porter removed from Bethlehem, Albany county, N.Y. to Troy township, 1814. He purchased 150 acres of the Drinker tract which with the aid of his sons he cleared and improved. He was also a school teacher many years and was popularly known as "Master Porter." His wife was Mrs. Hannah (Mosher) Waltsie by whom he had three children, John, Uel and Betsey (Mrs. Warren Williams). He died, 1824.

John occupied part of the homestead until his death, 1858, aged 60 years. He married Martha, daughter of William Furman (pg. 201) and had eleven children, nine of whom grew to maturity: Betsey (Mrs. Howard Taylor), Julia (Mrs. S. H. Hill), Electa (Mrs. C. T. Merry), Lyman, Uel C., George, Furman, William Burton and Sarah (Mrs. F. P. Gates).

Uel, b. Dec. 15, 1805, also occupied a part of the homestead. He was a great hunter and in his young manhood proficient in all athletic sports. He married, 1825, Eliza Ann, daughter of John Furman (pg. 202) and had eight children: John F., James, Allen T., Alvin, Ida E. (Mrs. Anth Baumann), Eliza A. (Mrs. J. Norton Chilson), Mary (Mrs. Porter Hooker) and Elizabeth (Mrs. Phillip A. Palmer). Mr. Porter married second, Miss Mary Jenks of Elmira, no children resulting. He died April 30, 1886.

Solomon Brown moved with his family from Rutland county, Vermont to Canton township, 1815; the trip was made in March on sleighs. He purchased a piece of land, erected a log house and moved in before the domicile had either a door or window. He cleared and improved land until his death in 1856, aged 68 years. Mr. Brown married Fanny (Lusanna) Glass who survived him many years. Their children and marriages follow:

Huldah to Joseph Fellows;

Luthera to Nathaniel Hickok;

Betsey to Alexander Gage;

Cynthia to Daniel P. Knapp;

Arethusa to Jarius Crandall;

Jonathan to Clarissa Clark;

E. Fowler died unmarried;

Orrin, b. March 11, 1812 at Middletown, Vt.; married 1st, Nancy Wright, 2nd Roxana Tyler; died Nov. 12, 1911 in Canton within 4 months of 100 years;

Lorenzo to Laura Crandall;

Rufus died at 9 years.

John Haven, son of Simeon Haven, was born June 7, 1762 at Spencer, Mass. In the month of February, 1815, he emigrated from Sullivan township, New Hampshire and settled in the wilderness near Austinville, Columbia township. He brought his family and goods on two sleds. One sled was drawn by a span of horses and the other by two yoke of oxen. The horses performed the journey in 15 days and the oxen in 18 days. Two sons, Nathan and Luther, came the year before and made a clearing where the home was located.

(Page 224)

Mr. Haven died Aug. 13, 1820 in Columbia. He married Abigail Fay (b. April 16, 1762, d. Nov. 23, 1843). They had eight children as follows:

Amos died, 1799, aged 15 years.

Nathan, b. Aug. 29, 1786, married Harriet Soper, was a farmer, died Jan. 13, 1822 in Columbia.

Mary, b. June 23, 1788, married Aaron Baker, died Sept. 25, 1873 in Columbia.

Luther, b. June 20, 1790, was a carpenter and merchant, married Martha Beaman, died Feb. 21, 1842 in Columbia.

Viana, b. Sept. 17, 1792, died Jan. 23, 1864 in Columbia, unmarried.

David Carter, b. Jan. 14, 1795, was a farmer, married Betsy Dartt and the father of 14 children, died Jan. 5, 1871 at Lawrenceville, Pa.

Royal, b. Feb. 26, 1798, was a farmer, married Lucy Baker, died July 24, 1870 at Westfield, Pa.

Charles lived and died in Columbia. His children were Luther, Oscar, Aaron, Frank, Susan (Mrs. I. S. Aspinwall), Caroline, Harriet (Mrs. Walter Gernert) and Lydia (Mrs. J. P. Bullock).

William Hart, a native of New Jersey, came to Wysox at the close of the War of 1812 in which he had served as a farrier under General Scott. For some time, he was connected with Hollenback's store and house of entertainment. He afterwards kept a hotel and worked at blacksmithing in Towanda. The last years of his life were spent at Monroeton where he died, August 3, 1863 in his 74th year. Mr. Hart married Mary A., daughter of Henry Strope. Their children and marriages:

Mary Ann to Zera Rockwell; Hannah died at an advanced age, unmarried; Jared to Lorinda Huyck; Lanning settled in Michigan; Catherine A., 1st to Nelson D. Warford, 2nd to H. Lawrence Scott; Amanda died unmarried.

John Vandyke, a native of Holland, after coming to America, at first located near Trenton, N.J., later removed to Turbit township, Northumberland county, Pa. During the Revolutionary war, he joined and served in a Northumberland company of Rangers (1778-1783). In 1816 he left Northumberland, coming to Towanda where he purchased several town lots and a tan-yard. From Towanda in 1825 he removed to Moore's Hill, where he and his son, William had purchased a tract of timberland. Here as a faithful pioneer, he spent his closing years. He had married at Trenton, Miss Martha ______, an Irish girl. Their children were William, Davis, Wilson, John and Polly. Mr. Vandyke died Sept. 12, 1835, aged 83 years. His remains repose in the Ulster cemetery.

(Page 225)

William came to Towanda, 1815 and purchased of John Leavenworth a tract of land on Towanda creek, including a grist-mill and a saw-mill. He afterwards sold and removed to Ulster township, where he spent a busy life in farming and lumbering, and died July 15, 1863, aged nearly 77 years. He married Susan, daughter of James Daugherty; she died July 15, 1871, aged 86 years. Their children were James, Matilda (Mrs. Horace Granger), George H., Mary Ann (Mrs. John Gilmour), Davis and William.

Davis was Towanda's first saddler; he married Betsy, daughter of Francis Watts (I--287); removed to LeRoy township where he died.

Wilson was a tanner; married Clamensia Grizzal; removed to Allegheny Co., N.Y. and died there.

John married Sally, daughter of John Wilson, a Revolutionary soldier; removed to Canton township and died there; children, John and Elizabeth (Mrs. Wright).

Polly died unmarried.

Arnout (originally Arndt) is of Holland origin. Jacob Arnout lived in New York city and moved from there to a farm near Goshen, N.Y., where he and his wife died. He had sons, Peter, Jacob, Selah and George and a daughter, Abbie. Peter was killed in the Revolution; Jacob occupied the homestead many years; Abbie married a Mr. Burtiss and lived near Albany, N.Y.; George and Selah,see below.

George Arnout, son of Jacob, came from Northumberland county, Pa., 1816 and with his son, Jacob, purchased the farm known as the Salisbury place in Monroe township. He was an expert shoemaker, an occupation he followed in conjunction with farming. He died upon the farm, 1823, aged 53 years. His widow married Philip Sickler. Of the children:

Jacob occupied the homestead, died 1843, and his wife Susannah, Aug. 22, 1822;

Peter married Mary Irvine and died in Asylum;

Mark C. married Hannah DeWitt of Burlington and died in Canton;

Mary married Harry Benjamin of Asylum;

Alexander went to Indiana and died there;

Martha married John Irvine.

Selah Arnout, born July 12, 1768, came to Monroe after his brother George and settled near him. He bore his part well in the struggles incident to life in a new country and died upon the farm which he had carved out of the wilderness, Jan. 17, 1844. He married 1st, Prudence Knight (b. Feb. 14, 1773; d. Oct. 2, 1822); married 2nd, Widow Cummings. His children were George E., Samuel, Mahala, Hannah, Susan, Cidney and Joshua.

(Page 226)

George E., b. May 4, 1798, married Mary Wilcox, died May 17, 1860 on his farm in Monroe; his wife, b. Nov. 19, 1796, died July 9, 1868. Their children were George W., Emily (Mrs. Isaac Robbins) and Charles B.

Samuel went West when a young man.

Mahala married Jedadiah Irish and moved to Mauch Chunk.

Hannah married Clark Cummings of Monroe.

Susan married Abraham Orr and removed from the county.

Cidney married James Deegan of Dushore, Pa.

Joshua, b. Aug. 13, 1813, married Martha Chilson and occupied the homestead; died June 26, 1869. Children, Theodore, Mary J. (Mrs. Benj. North), George E., Emily H. (Mrs. Portus Coolbaugh), Martha M. (Mrs. Chas. Griswold) and Julia (Mrs. Hiram Dettrich).

Jacob Miller, a Revolutionary soldier, came to upper Sugar Creek in or before 1802. He located in Columbia but either left or died before 1812 as his name does not appear on the records after that date. Daniel Miller, also an early settler (1811) of Columbia, may have been of this family. In 1820 the Millers in Columbia were Daniel and Eleazer; a little later the names of Chester and Orrin Miller appear.

Abraham Weast made a possession in Columbia about 1804. After three years he sold out. He was a celebrated hunter and woodchopper. It is related, "notwithstanding, his skill in woodcraft, he once lost his way in attempting to go to Mill creek and wandered in the woods for three days. Being without his gun, he could kill no game and became nearly famished. Towards night on the third day, he came to a turnip-patch and began an attack upon those esculents to appease his hunger, when he was discovered by the owner of the vegetables, who took him to his cabin and by a judicious feeding on venison soup restored his strength."

Jones -- Asa, Phineas and Stephen Jones settled in Columbia in or before 1812. Phineas was a brother of Mrs. Comfort Peters (pg. 142). The Joneses sold in 1818 and removed to Central New York.

Jacob D. Burbank came from Vermont, a young man, to Warren, 1813. He purchased a farm which he cleared and improved. He married Amy, daughter of Clement Corbin and had children, Joseph Tripp and Mary Elizabeth (Joslin). He died, 1872.

Nathan Young, a native of Plainfield, N.H., born May 26, 1788, came to Warren township, 1814, and purchased a timber tract on the turnpike. Returning East, Feb. 4, 1816, he married Lucy Burton, whom he brought to his new home.

(Page 227)

Mr. Young was prominently identified with the growth and development of the town until his death in 1870. His children were Thomas B.; Oscar F. married Rachel E. Allen; Nathan married 1st Phoebe Coburn, 2nd Nancy Bowen; Sabra S. (Bowen); Lucy (Dunham); Elizabeth (Pitcher).

Jonathan Pease located in Windham, 1811. He took out a patent for a large tract of land in behalf of the settlers and then deeded off their respective lots to them. He died in Windham, Aug. 2, 1836, aged 69 and his wife, Charlotte, March 16, 1845 in her 80th year. Levi Pease may have been a son.

Stratton Sherwood, who served the American cause from the time "tea was thrown overboard until the close of the Revolutionary war," came to Warren township from Cortland county, N.Y. and followed farming. Here he continued to reside until his death, July 27, 1848, aged 96 years, 3 months and 18 days. His remains rest in the Cadis cemetery. He had three sons, Stephen, John and James and two daughters, Mrs. Nathaniel Bullock and Mrs. Henry Blanchard.

Joseph Gibbs, born April 6, 1762 at Andover, Conn., enlisted at Cambridge, N.Y. in April, 1781 as a private in the company of Captain Welps, New York troops, and served nine months. After the war, he lived at Whitehall, Lake George and Greenwich, N.Y., removing about 1827 to Windham township where he continued to reside until his death, 1847. Mr. Gibbs is remembered as "the model of the neighborhood for honor and integrity." He was an enthusiastic and devoted Baptist and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. His stately form, being nearly 6 feet tall, gave him a fine personal bearing. He hoarded with pride the old flint-lock with the barrel almost as long as himself, which he had carried in the service of his country. He was given a pension in his last years. Mrs. Gibbs was "a grand, Christian lady." They had no children. Both are buried at Windham Summit.

Dr. Nathan Scovell located on Wyalusing creek before 1813. He practiced in the surrounding country until 1822 when he sold to Dr. Ebenezer Beeman who came in from Wyoming county.

Charles Squires, a native of Massachusetts, born Sept. 15, 1787 and son of a patriot of the Revolution, married Nov. 10, 1810 in Connecticut, Mary, daughter of Santhare Webb. In 1815 he emigrated to Asylum township, Bradford county and pursued his vocation of blacksmith. Having purchased a piece of timber land in Herrick township, he moved thereto in the winter of 1820-21. To reach his log cabin, he was required to cut a road through the woods nearly two miles.

(Page 228)

"The first night after moving in, the cabin roof was crushed by the weight of snow and only for the cross-beams holding, the family would have met serious injury if not death." The first crop was obtained by clearing away the trees and with axes and hoes, dirt was worked from among the roots, the seed deposited and covered over; an abundant yield resulted. Mr. Squires passed through all the trials and hardships incident to life in a new country, cleared and improved his farm, was a useful man in the community and died Jan. 29, 1865. His wife, b. Aug. 9, 1790, died July 12, 1866. Mary Squires, the mother, who drew a pension for services of her husband in the Revolutionary war, spent her last years with her son in Herrick and died almost a centenarian. The children of Charles and Mary (Webb) Squires follow: Mary, b. Oct. 4, 1811, d. Sept. 5, 1832; Charles A., b. March 18, 1813; George W., b Nov. 6, 1815, d. June 10, 1821; Constance W., b. May 18, 1817, d. Nov. 29, 1905; Harriet N., b. Sept. 30, 1818, d. July 29, 1835; John D., b. Jan. 2, 1821, married Eliza Baldwin. George W., b. Oct. 2, 1823; Susan M., b. March 9, 1825; Lydiann, b. Aug. 31, 1827; Pembroke S., b. Dec. 23, 1829, married, June 28, 1854, Harriet H. Lafferty, d. March 24, 1910; Albyna T., b. Sept. 22, 1831, d. June 27, 1911; Judson N., b. May 12, 1834, d. Sept. 18, 1853.

Cornelius Ennis (originally Innes, also Ennes, Annes), son of William, was born Nov. 5, 1761. During the Revolutionary war he served as a private in the Northampton county militia, Continental line. In 1816 he emigrated from Sussex county, N.J. to Standing Stone where he engaged in farming until his death, March 27, 1836. He married 1st, Sept. 22, 1781, Eleanor Decker and had two sons and a daughter; married 2nd, May 21, 1799, Deborah Clark, widow of Abraham Cole; she died Feb. 14, 1845, aged 84 years and lies besides her husband in the Ennis cemetery. Children and marriages follow:

Levi, b. March 25, 1782, occupied the homestead in Standing Stone where he died Jan. 13, 1858; married, July 1, 1804, Mary, daughter of James and Sarah Ann (Dunn) Adams; she died Sept. 4, 1869, aged 81 years, 8 months and 26 days. Their children and marriages: James to Minerva Martin; Isaac to 1st, Caroline Benjamin, to 2nd, Ellen Smith; Sarah Ann to 1st, Jacob Ross Emery, to 2nd, John Ayres; Alexander to Eleanor Stevens; Westfall to 1st, Henrietta Westbrook, to 2nd, Louisa Coolbaugh; Eliza died unmarried.

Isaac, b. July 12, 1786, came to Standing Stone, 1816 and there engaged in farming until his death, Aug. 6, 1844; married 1st, Oct. 18, 1807, Hannah Wood, who died June 20, 1840, aged 56 1/2 years.; married 2nd, Laura Havens and had a son, Daniel. Children by first wife and marriages: Elijah to Betsy Kellum; Ellen to John Powers; Matilda Jane to Samuel Biles; Eliza Maria to Horace Osborn; Cornelius to Cecelia Corkins; Deborah to Philetus D. Havens; John to Jane Coolbaugh; Hiram to Matilda Vanness; James L., George and William died unmarried.

(Page 229)

Elizabeth, b. May 9, 1784, married, March 4, 1802, John Smith, lived in Smithfield township and died there, Sept. 4, 1868; children, Mrs. Steel, Phoebe (Mrs. Weed), John, William, Henry, Joseph, Ellen (1st Mrs. McNulty, 2nd Mrs. Isaac Ennis); Judith (Mrs. Doty) and Deborah (Mrs. Isaac Westbrook).

Vanness (Vannest) -- Among the thrifty settlers who came to Standing Stone in the early part of the last century were the Vanness brothers, natives of Sussex county, N.J. George came first and soon after him his brothers, John, Daniel and Isaac Whitfield and sister, Catherine, who married Peter Lantz.

George Vanness, b. Aug. 11, 1791, removed from Sussex county in 1816, settling the Henry Fisher place. He was very energetic in clearing and improving his lands and at one time owned and operated three saw mills, shipping his lumber down the Susquehanna on rafts. Being an expert blacksmith, he manufactured many useful articles out of iron. He was a faithful Methodist and is affectionately remembered for his true kindness of heart and benevolence. He married 1st, Hannah Emery (b. Jan. 9, 1790, died June 8, 1844); married 2nd, Mrs. Asenath (Schoonover) Huyck; died Dec. 24, 1864. Children all by former marriage as follows:

Elizabeth married David King;

Hankinson married 1st, Miss Whipple, 2nd, Mrs. Matilda Titus, 3rd, Uranie Wilson, 4th, Hannah Heath; he was a blacksmith by occupation; died in Ulster;

Ross married Praxy Hickok, died in Franklin;

Mary married James Fletcher, removed west and died at Dixon, Illinois;

Sarah married Hart Gordon, died in Standing Stone;

Catherine married 1st, Rev. Thomas Tuck, 2nd Elias Jagger;

Hiram married Lodeska Huyck;

George married Phoebe Ogden of Sussex, N.J.;

Matilda married 1st, Hiram Ennis, 2nd Nelson Barnes;

Osie married Alanson Taylor;

Lucinda died in young womanhood, unmarried.

John Vanness came to Standing Stone about the same time as his brother George. He devoted his time to farming, was a good citizen and faithful member of the Methodist church. He married Sally Dunn, who died Sept. 3, 1849, aged 56 years; he died Jan. 12, 1853, aged 59 years. Their children and marriages follow: Nelson to 1st, Lois Chaffee, to 2nd, Amorette Huff; Jane to John Robinson; Erastus to Emma Hull; Wesley to Celestia Tuttle; John Jason to Emily Horton; Myron to Harriet Finch; Porter to Sarintha Conklin.

Daniel Vanness, b. June 11, 1795, after coming to Standing Stone, like his brothers, engaged in farming. He was a worthful citizen and active member of the Presbyterian church; died Oct. 11, 1849. He married Martha Huff (b. June 11, 1795). Their children and marriages:

(Page 230)

John to Julia Morris; Maria to Asheur Roals; Jehiel to Lucy Clayson; DeWitt to Julia Kilmer; Charles to Miss Froat, died in the service during the Civil War.

Isaac Whitfield Vanness came first to Wysox, then settled permanently in Standing Stone and engaged in farming; died April 26, 1873, aged 72 yrs. and 5 mos. He married Osee Shay who died Nov. 22, 1872, aged 73. Their children and marriages:

Vincent to Deborah Viall;

George to Betsy Froat;

Benjamin to 1st, Miss Jaggers, to 2nd, Sarah Lloyd;

Sally Jane to Rev. I. P. Towner;

Harriet to John Huff;

Sophronus to Julia Jennings;

David to 1st, Emily Taylor, to 2nd, Loretta Orshalt;

William to Ann Shay Rupert;

Edwin to Sally Ann Shay;

Phoebe to Erban Lindsley;

Ophelia to Matthew Greening;

Frank to Cynthia Robinson

Three of the brothers, David, Edwin and Sophronus, were professors of music and for several years taught singing school.

Matthias Scriven, born Aug. 14, 1775, moved from New York state into Susquehanna county, thence to Pike before 1813 and finally located permanently in Albany township. He was quite a noted hunter. He died suddenly, 1827, while visiting in the Lake country. His wife was Anna Sabin (sister of David); she was born Nov. 9, 1778, died June 13, 1855. They were the parents of 21 children, among whom were Benjamin, Joseph, Matthias, Oliver, Sabin and Stephen.

Samuel Smith, a cooper from Hartford, Conn., located in Albany township, winter of 1814-'15. "He was a capital workman and splendid citizen." After some years, his wife died and he removed from the town. He had no children.

Thomas Cox came to the county in or before 1813, locating on Towanda Hills. He was quite a noted hunter. He married Susannah, daughter of Uzziel Carter and had children, Hiram, Joanna, John, Nancy, Polly, Hannah, Delight, Wellington and Usual M.

Mr. Cox died Sept. 29, 1841, aged 59 yrs., 9 mos. and 17 days, and his wife, June 18, 1856, aged 70 yrs., 4 mos. and 10 days.
 
 

Lewis P. Franks, a printer, came to Towanda in 1817 and edited the Washingtonian, the first Federal paper in the county. After continuing the paper about a year, he turned its management over to Octavius Holden. Franks is remembered as a central figure, with a keen intellect but eccentric. He wielded an able and trenchant pen. Upon leaving Towanda he went to Philadelphia where he engaged in journalism.

Dr. Charles Whitehead located at Towanda in 1818. He was a man of ability and considerable eminence.

(Page 231)

From 1820 to '23, he was Register and Recorder of the county and served as a justice of the peace. He died March 26, 1825, aged 31 years. His wife afterwards taught several terms of school in the village.

William Kelly and sons, Lewis and William, mechanics, settled in Towanda, 1818. He established a ferry across the river, the wharf being at the terminus of State street, was known as the "Upper", or "Kelly's Ferry." He also kept a grocery for a while on Court street, which he sold to Benjamin Hunt. Mr. Kelly was a soldier, War of 1812. He died June 15, 1857, aged 86 and his wife, Delight, Aug. 30, 1830, aged 62 years. Both inhumed in Riverside cemetery.

John D. Wage came from Springfield, Mass. to Wysox in 1813. Here he remained only a short time then went into the wilderness at South Hill, Orwell township and cleared up a farm. In 1856 he sold his interests in Bradford county and removed to Wisconsin, where he died at an advanced age. Before coming to Bradford county, he had married a Miss Ferry by whom he had children, John, Chester Chapel, Henry, Abigail, Caroline, Elsie and Emily P. His wife having died, he married a second time and had children, Fernando, Thomas, Susan and Biansa. John joined a whaling crew and died at sea; Henry went to California in the 1850's, making the trip by wagon, died at Greeley, Colorado; Chester Chapel, b. Feb. 7, 1813, enlisted in the U.S. navy, serving from 1835 to '38, visited the four quarters of the globe and had many thrilling experiences; married, 1840, Ellen, daughter of James Lent of Rome and settled in Tuscarora, where he died Oct. 5, 1907; Abigail married Philander Barnes of Orwell; Caroline married Charles Stewart of Herrick; Elsie married Wesley Robinson of Orwell; Emily P. married George Wickizer of Herrick.

Amos Kinney, who was among the early settlers on the west side of the Chemung in Athens township, at the age of 16 years entered the service in the struggle for Independence. In his affidavit of Sept. 11, 1820, asking for the benefits of a pension he sets forth as follows: "That he the said Amos Kinney, aged 55 years, resident in the township of Athens, doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary war as a private, enlisting in the year 1781 under Captain Marshall, Colonel Tupper's regiment and continued in the service until December, 1783, when he was regularly discharged; that he is a farmer by occupation, has a wife, 41 years old, three sons, aged respectively 10, 7 and 1 year and a daughter 4 years old." The sons are remembered as Washington, Solon and Byron; the daughter grew up and married. The patriot father died on his farm and was buried in an old cemetery above Chemung. His wife Margaret died, 1842.

(Page 232)

Dr. Zadoc Gillett, a native of Granville, Mass., came to Sheshequin in 1815 and located on the Warren Gillett place. He had quite an extensive practice. After some years, he removed to Canada, where during an epidemic of cholera, he lost his wife and several children. He then returned to Sheshequin and practiced for a time, finally removed to Albany township where he died. He was the father of the late Jerome B. Gillett of Hornbrook.

John Ditrich, who came to America as a Hessian soldier during the Revolutionary war, remained here and in 1816 found his way into Sheshequin, settling the farm now owned by his grandson, Edward M. Vought. He improved a considerable part of the place and died thereon, April 11, 1840, aged 85 years. His wife, Elizabeth, died Aug. 12, 1846, aged 83 years. Their children: Lewis moved to other parts; Hannah married Joseph Vought; Lydia married Peter Vought.

Joshua Lamphere, a native of Connecticut, and a carpenter and millwright by occupation, came to Wysox in 1815. He was a soldier, War of 1812. He married Margaret, daughter of Henry Tuttle and had the following children: Jenette (Mrs. Wm. Compton), Zelwin, Mary (Mrs. Stephen Clayson), John W., Adelia (Mrs. Squire Platt) and Daniel. Mr. Lamphere died on his farm on the State Road and is inhumed in the Wysox cemetery.

Seymour Brothers, Gould and Isaac, came to Pike township from Vestal, N.Y. about 1800. They were natives of Norwalk, Conn., but after that place had been burned by the British, the family left and finally settled at Vestal. Gould came in, bringing his family and effects, with a yoke of oxen and a sled. After having made some improvements, the brothers went to Sheshequin and procured apple-seeds, sowed them, raised a nursery and planted a large area to orchards.

Gould improved the farm afterwards occupied by Wilson Canfield. He took an active interest in public affairs, was chosen county commissioner in 1825 and attained the rank of major in the militia. He died in Pike, 1850. His wife was Martha Hart, who at his death with these children survived: Stephen, Philander, Julia (Mrs. Wilson Canfield), Nancy and Electa (Mrs. Wm. Hutchinson).

Isaac was also a man of high standing in the community, being appointed one of the first justices-of-the-peace in the county. He died, 1861. In his will, he provided for his wife, Ruth, and children, Philinda (Mrs. Chas. Hall), Chauncy and George (married Matilda Buck).

Jenks Brothers, Livingston and Renselaer J., came to Warren, 1811. The former had a store some years and was a justice-of-the-peace. He married Sally, daughter of Preserved Buffington, and had a large family with whom he removed West about 1836.

(Page 233)

Renselaer married a daughter of Moses Woodburn, lived in Sheshequin a number of years, kept store and was a justice-of-the-peace. He also went West in 1836.

Other Warren Settlers -- Henry Billings was located in the town, 1804 but left before 1812. Alfred Allyn and Jacob Allyn from Providence, R.I. came about 1810. The latter died, 1814 during an epidemic of fever, and the former in 1857. Seneca Allyn, who married Betsy Pendleton (pg. 159), came a little later. Charles and Robert Sutton were in the town as early as 1807; the latter remained until 1830 when he sold to Parly Coburn. Benjamin and Moses Buffum were located here in 1809 but remained only a few years. The Tripps, Elisha, Edward and Joseph, came in 1811 and James Mapes, 1812. About the same time, Elnathan Spalding from Rhode Island, who had an improvement in Windham, sold and moved to Warren. Both he and his wife died of fever, 1814.

Record Marriages -- In Orwell, July 24, 1808 by Justice Parly Coburn, Charles Wright of Owego, N.Y. and Miss Betsy Dunham of Orwell.

In Orwell, January 8, 1809 by Justice Parly Coburn, William Buffington and Grace Butler.

In Orwell, January 22, 1809 by Justice Parly Coburn, John H. Hill and Anna Corbin.

In Orwell, Sept. 26, 1809 by Justice Parly Coburn, Joseph Armstrong and Ruth Dewing.

In Orwell, Dec. 24, 1809 by Justice Parly Coburn, Daniel Seymour and Patty Coburn.

In Orwell, Jan. 20, 1810 by Justice Parly Coburn, Philip West and Mary Dunham.

In Orwell, August 30, 1810 by Justice Parly Coburn, Joshua Wythe of Towanda and Harriet Pond of Orwell.

In Orwell, February 20, 1811 by Justice Parly Coburn, John Cowles and Lucy Coburn.

In Orwell, Dec. 31, 1811 by Justice Parly Coburn, Jeremiah Glover and Tamer Buffum.

In Orwell, Jan. 2, 1812 by Justice Parly Coburn, Livingston Jenks and Sally Buffington.

In Orwell, May 19, 1812 by Justice Parly Coburn, Luther Buffington and Mary Tripp.

In Orwell, October 24, 1812 by Justice Parly Coburn, Robert Buffum and Minerva Nichols.

(Page 234)

William Presher was the pioneer miller of Sheshequin. Upon coming into the Valley, 1807, he saw the great need of a grist-mill for the accommodation of the settlers. He laid the matter before Judge Gore who gave the necessary assistance and a mill was built which Mr. Presher operated until his death in 1822.

Benjamin Hale, a native of Bristol, R.I., born Jan. 15, 1771, emigrated with his family from Warren, R.I. to Smithfield township in 1814. He was a man of high character and many years a deacon in the Baptist church. He married Keziah Rounds of Rehoboth, Mass. and reared a notable family. Their children, all born at Warren, were John E., Benjamin, Mason, Ruth, Lydia and Allen. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hale died in Smithfield, the former in 1851 and the latter in 1843. Of their children:

John E. was prominent in the political affairs of the county, being commissioners' clerk, 1836 and '37 and county treasurer, 1838 to '41. He married Rebecca, daughter of Samuel Wood and emigrated to Knoxville, Ill. in 1846. Their children were Hollis M., Emmorette, T. Judson, James Ellery, Eunice W., Clayton and Celestia. Hollis M. was a merchant; T. Judson was a lawyer, married Sarah P. Pierce of Smithfield and went to Illinois, 1845; filled many positions of honor and trust and died, 1896 at Galesburg, Ill.; James Ellery was a lawyer, married Mary Hart Pierce of Smithfield and went to Illinois, 1846, thence to California, 1849; was chosen county judge, member of assembly, state senator and filled other important positions; died, 1895 at Auburn, Cal.; Clayton also read law and practiced until the breaking out of the Civil War, entered the 59th Illinois Volunteers, served four years, being promoted from captain to lieutenant-colonel; entered the regular army, 1866 and retired, 1890 with the rank of lieutenant-colonel; died, 1896 at Des Moines, Iowa.

Benjamin married Eunice, daughter of Samuel Wood; removed to Belvidere, Ill. and died, 1871 in Chicago.

Mason married Almira King of Smithfield and removed to Iowa.

Ruth married Hezekiah M. Peck and was the mother of William A., Capt. George S. and Hon. Benjamin M. and three daughters.

Lydia married Nelson Thomas and removed to Knoxville, Illinois.

Allen married Miriam, daughter of Samuel Wood and removed to Abington, Illinois.

Cromwell Child, son of Caleb and Bethia Child, the eldest of six children, was born Jan. 1, 1757 at Warren, Rhode Island. During the Revolutionary war, he enlisted and served from his native state. In 1819, he removed from Warren, R.I. with his wife, one son and three daughters (company comprising thirteen) to Smithfield township, settling two miles east of the village.

(Page 235)

Another son, Henry, who was on a sailing cruise, died on the coast of Africa in 1820. Mr. Child was a man of considerable means and had quite extensive business dealings. He was an honest, upright citizen, a consistent member of the Baptist church and highly respected by his neighbors. He and his wife spent their last years with their son Edward A. in Smithfield. He died about 1838 and his wife a year or two previous. Their remains rest in the plot on the Israel Phillips farm. Their daughter Margaret married George Tompkinson, another daughter married a Mr. Wood and the third daughter, a Mr. Salisbury.

Benjamin McAfee, a native of Middlesex, N.J. and Scotch origin, born March 9, 1764, while residing in Sussex county, enlisted 1777 in the company of Captain Ross under Colonel Crow and served 2 months in the American army; the same year, he re-enlisted and served an additional term of 2 months in the company of David Dunham; again in 1778 or '79 he served a third enlistment of 3 months in Captain Freeman's company of the New Jersey troops. He married Rachel Potter and in the 1830's removed with his family from Sussex county to Springfield township, settling about a mile east of Springfield Center. Here he engaged in farming and continued to reside until his death, July 17, 1844. He was given a pension under the act of 1832, which was continued to his wife after his death. His remains repose in the Leona cemetery. Benjamin and Rachel McAfee had six children as follows:

Samuel H., b. Oct. 10, 1796, married Hannah Riggs, died May 28, 1882 in Athens township; children, Joel, b. Dec. 31, 1819; Benjamin L., b. Feb. 22, 1821; Jemima Jane, b. Feb. 27, 1824, married Erastus Loomis; William F., b. June 7, 1826; George W., b. June 9, 1828; Julia Ann, b. March 30, 1830, died unmarried; John R., b. April 3, 1832; Susan E., b. April 14, 1834, married G. L. Easterbrooks; Thompson R., b. Oct. 30, 1836.

Pamelia died, unmarried, July 24, 1842, aged 47 years.

Joel P., b. July 17, 1800, married Mary Bridges, died July 14, 1890 in Springfield.

Phila married Samuel Hellems; had no children.

Susan married Henry Struble.

Benjamin I. married Caroline Wilder, removed to Lafayette, Ind. where he died; children, two sons and two daughters.

George Baker from Maryland located in Columbia township, 1814. He cleared and improved a farm, where both he and his wife

(Page 236)

Kate died. Their children were Parmina, Harlin, Joseph, Ruth, Rebecca, Sally, Zuba, Amanda, William, George and Gibbons. Harlin married Sarah A. Longwell and had children, John, Emmett, George, Sarah, William F. and Wilmot.

Bullock -- The line of Mayflower descent of the family to Samuel Bullock follows:

I. John Howland (1593-1673), married, 1622, Elizabeth Tilley (1607-1687).

II. Hannah Howland married, July 6, 1661, Jonathan Bosworth (1640-1686).

III. John Bosworth (1671-1719), married June 10, 1702, Elizabeth Toogood (1682-1716).

IV. Anna Bosworth (1706-1773), married Dec. 8, 1734, Samuel Bullock (Nov. 17, 1703-Oct. 15, 1779).

Stephen Bullock, son of Samuel, fifth in descent from Richard, the first of the family who came to America, married Mary, daughter of Hezekiah Horton of Rehoboth, Mass. In 1778, he commanded a company in Col. Tom Carpenter's regiment under General Sullivan and was in the battle upon Rhode Island in August of that year. He was a member of the general court of Mass. prior to the adoption of the State constitution of 1780. He was also a member of the convention which adopted that constitution. He represented Rehoboth in the Legislature six years; was a member of the Governor's council three years and represented his district in the U.S. Congress, 1797-'99. He was many years a Justice of the Quorum and was known as Judge Bullock. Two of his sons were Darius and Asa.

Darius Bullock, b. Oct. 10, 1761, d. Oct. 28, 1833, served as a private under Capt. Sylvanus Martin, Col. Williams, Massachusetts troops, Revolutionary war. He married Chloe Pierce of Swansea and removed to Halifax, Vt. They had children, Persis, Lydia, Darius, Nathan, Chloe, Jesse E. and Eunice. Dr. Darius (pg. 153), Nathan, Jesse E. and Lydia (Mrs. James Martin) settled in Bradford county. Jesse E., b. Feb. 25, 1805, married 1st, Sophrona Grant, 2nd, Margaret B. Wright, 3rd, Betsey Gerould.

Asa Bullock, b. May 3, 1763 in Bristol county, Mass. For many years he was a large cotton mill owner. He married, May 1, 1791, Jerusha Allen, a near relative of Gen. Ethan Allen; she died March 7, 1817 at Rehoboth, Mass., aged 50 years. The same spring (1817) he came to Columbia township, purchased land, made improvements, put in crops and in the fall returned East and moved his family. He was a man of splendid character and a worthful citizen. He died Jan. 1, 1831 in Columbia. Asa and Jerusha Bullock were the parents of seven sons, Asa A., Viall Allen, Samuel, Stephen, James, Ira Clark, Isaac Fowler, and three daughters, Marcy (Mrs. Joseph Gladding), b. March 30, 1792, Mary (Mrs. Peleg Peckham), b. May 19, 1794, and Rachel, b. 1798, who died young.

Asa A., b. Jan. 15, 1796, d. Jan. 23, 1837, married Olive Soper, b. Nov. 20, 1798, d. Sept. 20, 1847;

Viall Allen, b. Dec. 31, 1800, died Jan. 1, 1886 unmarried in Columbia;

Stephen, b. July 3, 1804, d. Jan. 24, 1888, married Lodema B. Luce, b. Oct. 30, 1815, d. Jan. 21, 1899;

James, b. Oct. 22, 1806, d. June 1, 1887 in Columbia, married 1st, Harriet P. Robinson (d. Jan. 29, 1842), 2nd, Martha Brace, b. Feb. 23, 1816, d. Dec. 30, 1912;

Ira Clark married Helen Pierce;

Isaac Fowler, b. abt. 1810, d. Dec. 22, 1873, married Lucinda Williams, was a prominent citizen of Springfield township.

Abijah Ayres, a native of Connecticut, came to Canton township, 1815 and soon afterwards located permanently in Granville township, where he cleared a large farm and died, 1836. He married Hannah Edward and had children, Abijah, Gilbert, John, Jemima (Mrs. Elihu Andrews), Moses, Isaac, Anna (Mrs. Minor T. Porter), Sally (Mrs. Silas Packard), Rachel (Mrs. Phillips), Lemuel, Marcus and Mary (Mrs. Reuben J. Palmer). Abijah married 1st Polly Sheely and had children, John, Betsey, Henry, Moses, Ellen, Hannah and Sheely; married 2nd, Thurza Palmer, their children being Mary, Eliza, Sarah, Christine, Lucy, Naomi, Marcus, Andrew and Burton.

Simeon Chesley, born in Canada, June 14, 1761, enlisted as a private, June, 1782 in Captain Sewell's company of Colonel Sprout's regiment of the Massachusetts troops and served one year. He resided in Luzerne county before moving to Granville township (1820), where he made application for the benefits of a pension, which was granted and after his death, extended to his widow. He married, Aug. 25, 1813 Elizabeth Shaffer of Kingston, Pa. by whom he had the following children: Simeon P. married Eliza Dudley of Burlington; Margaret married Henry Downs of Troy; Philip died unmarried; Susan married Orrin Pratt of Granville; Malachi married Elizabeth Tinklepaugh of Canton. The patriot father died Sept. 12, 1853 and is inhumed in the Windfall cemetery.