Benjamin Taylor, soldier of the War of 1812, born May 24, 1787 at Groton, Conn., emigrated to Rome township with his family in 1817. He came from Connecticut with his wife, two sons, a daughter and household effects, being conveyed by a two-horse team. The Hudson River was crossed at Newburgh. Mr. Taylor located on a piece of land on Taylor Hill and leased a house until he could build one of his own. He was a cooper by occupation and worked at his trade for a time at Wysox. He built a frame house, all the boards of which were fastened with hand-wrought nails. He cleared and improved his farm, whereon he died Sept. 11, 1860. He had married, April 18, 1811, Bathsheba Janes. She was born Nov. 15, 1786 at Springfield, Mass., and died Dec. 21, 1876 on the homestead. They had children as follows:
Edwin W., b. March 8, 1812, married Sept. 13, 1836, Harriet Ann Warner of Pike; children, Mortimer K. and Orville H.
Delamer, b. May 27, 1814, married, March 9, 1837, Melinda Fairchild of Herrick; children, Orlenzo M., Olin, Mary and Bertha; died April 24, 1887, and his wife, Feb. 18, 1888.
Abby Jane, b. March 17, 1816, married, Sept. 3, 1839, Ephah M. Towner of Rome, died Oct. 13, 1887; children, Martha S., Corrington A., Alma E. and Olin H.
Rev. Corrington E., b. Aug. 11, 1818, married July 9, 1845, Emeline A. Warner of Pike; children, Francis A. and Hedding O.; died April 27, 1888 and his wife, Oct. 5, 1884.
Almerin J., b. March 18, 1821, married, Sept. 5, 1844, Esther Hornbeck of Port Jervis, N.Y., died March 21, 1894; children: Orletta A., Francelia A., Laverna J., Eliza A. and Rachel E.
Addison W., b. April 3, 1824, married, May 5, 1846, Mary H. Stevens of Herrick; children, H. S., Eunice, M. A., A. and Hartley C. S.; died May 1, 1904, and his wife, Feb. 7, 1901.
Stephen Gregory removed from Kent, Litchfield county, Conn. to Pike township about 1824. He had served in the struggle for Independence and his record is given in his affidavit of Sept. 10, 1828, asking for the benefits of a pension as follows: "That he the said Stephen Gregory, aged 74 years, doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary war, enlisted for a term of 9 months about the first of March, 1777 in the company commanded by Captain Bardsley of Col. David Wooster's regiment of the Connecticut line; that he continued to serve in the said corps until December, 1777 when he was discharged near Crown Point, N.Y." He was present at Danbury and saw General Wooster shot from his horse. Mr. Gregory died at Pike in the early 1840's. He had children: Hezekiah remained East; Ralph; Jesse;
Samuel, a somewhat noted teacher; Eunice married Abraham Taylor of Pike; Betsey married Libus Smith of Pike; Elizabeth married John Keeler of Wyalusing; Lucy married Gurdon Williams of Pike; Mercy married Samuel Beecher of Pike.
Jareb Palmer, a native of Vermont, located near Alba in 1813 and engaged in clearing and improving land. He had married Esther Rice. They were the parents of seven sons and four daughters, all growing to maturity but one; Charlotte married Gen. Elihu Case of Troy; Russell married Sylvia, sister of Elihu Case.
Amos Alexander emigrated from Vermont to Troy township, 1815. In 1831 he went to Texas, settling along the Colorado river, his wife and sons going thereto, 1834. Mr. Alexander engaged in trade. (On) June 1, 1835, while returning from the landing with four loads of goods, he was ambuscaded by the Indians and he and his son Amos R. were shot and scalped. The wagons were plundered, the Indians carrying off $1,000 worth of property. Besides his wife Hannah, Mr. Alexander left two other sons, Lyman W. and Darwin S. and two daughters, Loraine (1st Mrs. Amos R. Soper, 2nd Mrs. T. S. Sheardown) and Mrs. Goodrich.
Putnam -- Among the original settlers of Salem, Mass. was John Putnam, the American progenitor of the Putnams in New England and among whose descendants were the distinguished generals, Israel and Rufus Putnam. John, the eldest son of Nicholas and Margaret (Goodspeed) Putnam, was of the 19th generation in the English line and the first of the American line. He was born about 1580 and died suddenly Dec. 30, 1662 in Salem, Mass. His son, Captain John, married Rebecca Prince and had a son Eleazer, who by his wife, Elizabeth Rolfe, had a son Henry who was killed at the battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775. Henry had married Hannah Billings (?). Their son Eleazer married Mary Crosby and had children, Samuel, John, Henry, Elijah, Hannah and Rhoda.
John Putnam, second son of Eleazer and Mary (Crosby) Putnam, was born Nov. 12, 1767 at Medford, Mass. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, his record of service being contained in his own affidavit as follows: "That he enlisted as a private in June or July, 1780, at Great Barrington, Mass. and served 6 months in the 1st Massachusetts regiment; that in the winter following he enlisted in the continental establishment and the following spring joined the 6th Massachusetts regiment, commanded by Col. Calvin Smith (Capt. Japhet Daniel's company) and served in that regiment at West Point, which was afterwards
consolidated with the 2nd Massachusetts regiment, until the fall of 1783." From a descriptive roll, he is described: "height, 5 ft. 5 in.; complexion, light; hair, brown; occupation, laborer; residence, Great Barrington." In 1817, he removed to Granville township and took up a farm in the wilderness which he occupied until his death, May 31, 1844. He married 1st Fiche Van Deusen and had two children, Katie and Lucretia (Mrs. Joseph Bush); married 2nd Lendy Andrus (b. Dec. 26, 1775, d. April 3, 1841), their children being Luman, Henry, Fiche (Mrs. Stephen Landon), Isaac, Lydia (Mrs. Heman Bruce), Sally (Mrs. Luther F. Clark), and Jane (Mrs. Van Rensselaer Champney). Both Mr. Putnam and his 2nd wife (are) inhumed at Granville Center.
Luman, b. Sept. 22, 1801 in Great Barrington, died Dec. 3, 1893 in Granville. He assisted in clearing land and was a carpenter and builder; was very studious, had a fine library and taught several terms of school; took great interest in public matters, was elected county commissioner, 1844 and served several years as justice of the peace. He married 1st Jerusha, daughter of Scoville Bailey; 2nd, Amy (Stockwell) Brigham; children, Lurenda (Mrs. Benj. S. Smiley), Amanda (Mrs. Chas. Drake), Selenda (Mrs. Valentine Saxton), Eliza (Mrs. A. S. Rockwell), Luman and Harvey.
Henry married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Saxton, and engaged in farming in Granville; children, Erastus, Philander, John, Jane, Benjamin and Laura (Mrs. Aaron Waldron).
Isaac married Abigail, daughter of Jeremiah Taylor and had children, Alfred, Sylvester, Orville T. and Milton.
Willard Green came to the Orwell neighborhood in or before 1804. In 1810, he purchased with his brother-in-law, Jacob Wickizer, a tract of land on Johnson creek in Rome; he subsequently sold his interest to John Horton. In 1817, Mr. Green married Jerusha, widow of Benjamin Coolbaugh of Macedonia (I--166). He served as a private in Capt. John Franklin's Independent company, Wyoming, 1780.
Prince Brothers, Abel and Joseph, who were sons of Abel Prince and born near Manchester, N.H., having purchased of Robt. H. Rose a tract of timberland in the western part of Warren township, came thereto in 1814. They were thrifty and enterprising, cleared and improved their land and became very prosperous. Their sister Fanny, who married Seth Nichols, also came to Warren.
Abel married Mrs. Ruth Elsbree Shaw of Albany county, N.Y., who by her former husband, Uriah Shaw, had children, Sally Ann (Mrs. Silas White), Mary (Mrs. Benj. Elsbree) and Walter; her parents were John and Polly (Martin) Elsbree and their children, Joseph, William, Martin, Ruth, Manson, Susannah, Anna, John and Ira. Abel and Ruth
Prince had children who married as follows; John to Elizabeth Hagadorn; Abel to 1st Mary Jones, to 2nd Zeruah Hines; Romanda to Alfred B. Corbin. Mr. Prince died June 21, 1867, aged 78 1/2 years, and his wife, May 18, 1870, aged 71 yrs. and 5 months.
Joseph married Lucinda Bates of Kent Plains, Conn. The former died on the homestead, April 16, 1844, and his wife, Nov. 12, 1852. Their children and marriages follow: Miles, Feb. 20, 1847 to Charlotte Elsbree; Myron; Joel died March 24, 1859, aged 25, unmarried; Lucinda A. to Edwin Williams.
Matthew Wright, son of Enoch Wright, a patriot of the Revolution, was born in Massachusetts. He served in the Revolutionary war as follows: Under Capt. James Noble, Col. James Easton, May 10, 1775 to Dec. 30, 1775; also under Capt. William Francis, Maj. Caleb Hyde from July 8 to 26, 1777; also under Lieut. Joel Clems, Col. David Rosseter's regiment, Oct. 15 to 18, 1780 on the alarm at Fort Edward. In 1798, he married at Lyme, Broome county, N.Y., Susan Lee. About 1818 he removed with his family to Sheshequin township, settling at Ghent where he improved a farm and died, 1838. Both he and his wife (were) inhumed on the farm where he lived. Their children and marriages follow: Oswin; Earl; Polly to Larmon H. Elliott; Sally to Timothy Hiney; Druzella to Reuben Perry; Margaret; Betsy to Hiram Perry.
James Long, a native of Vermont, removed to Chenango county, N.Y. where he resided some years, then in 1816 joined his brother Ezra at Troy and managed his hotel three years. Having purchased a farm at Burlington, he removed there in 1819 and opened a hotel which he conducted in connection with farming. Here he continued to reside until his death, March 29, 1854, aged 75 years. Mr. Long married Lydia, daughter of James Davidson (I--331); she died January, 1853. Their children: (1) Holden, b. Nov. 22, 1802; (2) Eliza, b. Oct. 16, 1804; (3) John F., b. Jan. 1810, succeeded to the homestead and was long proprietor of "The Bradford County Coffee House," a popular hostelry; was elected associate judge, 1856 and enjoyed in a high degree the confidence and respect of the public; died Nov. 24, 1865; married, May 25, 1831, Hannah L. Merrick (b. 1804, died 1885); their children: Philander, b. April 7, 1832, d. 1901; Martin James, b. Aug. 9, 1833 for 44 years engaged in business in Towanda; Mason, b. Aug. 16, 1835, died in Texas; Cecelia, b. Aug. 16, 1837, died unmarried in Towanda; Albert, b. Dec. 24, 1840, died Feb. 1891 in Towanda; (4) Nancy, b. Sept. 20, 1810, married 1st Isaac Cash, 2nd Jonathan Hill.
Samuel Wells, a shoemaker by occupation, came from Rhode Island and located at Terrytown about 1800. He took up land but lost his claim.
He had a family of nine children, one of whom, Daniel, married, Feb. 3, 1841, Ruey Strong and were the parents of seven sons and six daughters, all of whom grew to maturity.
Merritt -- Daniel, Gilbert and Hezekiah Merritt, said to be brothers, came to Wyalusing township about 1810. In 1813 Andrew, Daniel and Gilbert Merritt were in Wyalusing and Hezekiah in Towanda. Sept. 29, 1811, Hezekiah Merritt and Miss Polly Wells were united in marriage by Rev. Elisha Cole. 1822, Gilbert Merritt deeds to Samuel Merritt land in Wyalusing. May 8, 1834, Gilbert Merritt, aged 60, drowned in the river; his daughter Susan married Wm. Chamberlain. December, 1834, letters granted to Elijah Merritt on the estate of Andrew Merritt of Wyalusing. April 3, 1834, William Smith Tracy of Monroe and Miss Rachel Merritt of Wyalusing were married by Justice Harry Morgan, and May 15, 1845, Wm. Vanlooven and Hannah Merritt married in Wyalusing by Rev. S. F. Colt.
Archelaus Temple, a native of New England, who fought for American Independence, spent his last days in Athens. All that is known of his service and family is contained in his affidavit of Sept. 11, 1820, asking for the benefits of a pension as follows: "That he the said Archelaus Temple, aged 56 years, doth on his oath declare that he enlisted as a private soldier in the town of Keene, Cheshire county, N.H. in the month of April, 1782 under Capt. Benj. Ellis, 1st regiment New Hampshire troops, commanded by Col. Henry Dearborn and continued in the service until January 1784 when he was discharged at Dobb's Ferry on the Hudson river; that by occupation he is a carpenter, infirm and unable to labor; has a wife, Emma Temple, aged 49 years." He died May 18, 1832 and is inhumed in the old cemetery at Athens. The following is recorded: "There was an agreement between Archy Temple and Solomon Talliday, another Revolutionary veteran, that when the first died the survivor should fire a volley over his grave, which was fulfilled to the letter."
James Ingals, whose sons, Samuel and William S. had settled in Wells township, 1817, also went from Elmira and joined them in 1822. He was a man of high standing in the community; died, 1829. His children were Abigail, married Thomas Osgood; Rosannah married John Miller and moved to Michigan; Leander; Samuel removed to Illinois and died there; Sabra married Strong Seeley; Jeremiah; Adelia married Helm Budd of Columbia; Olive married Wm. Tubbs and died in Michigan; William S. engaged extensively in farming and lumbering, was prominent in the affairs of the town and a man of sterling worth; died 1868,
aged 77 years, survived by his wife Catherine and children, Sarah C., Aaron K., Sophia B. (Mrs. Miller), Naomi S. (Mrs. Jones), Benjamin S. and Charles S.
Henry Hibbard joined the Standing Stone settlement in 1816. He married Margaret, daughter of Cherick Westbrook and in 1827 removed to Albany township, being the founder of the "Hibbard Hill" neighborhood. Here he cleared up a large farm and died, Dec. 31, 1877, aged 87 years. His 2nd wife was Marilla Lee, 3rd Angelica Smith, 4th Lovisa Rice; children, John, Electa, Orson, Celinda, Margaret, Olive, Eunice and Henry.
Stephen Edwards from Vermont and an auger-maker by occupation located in Albany township, 1816. A negro who had acquired some proficiency as a fifer came with him. Edwards occupied the Luce improvements a number of years then sold and moved West. He had sons, John, Ira, Asa and a daughter, Caroline.
David Sabin, a native of Rensselaer county, N.Y., born June 6, 1793, came to Albany township, 1817 and assisted in the construction of the turnpike. He afterwards settled on East Hill where he died Dec. 13, 1870. He was a hard-working man, noted for his great strength and fleetness in foot-racing. His wife was Martha Kendall (b. Jan. 21, 1794, d. May 5, 1871), and their children, Abigail, Mary Ann, Tacy, Edward, Martha, Sarah, Malvina, Robert S. and Phoebe.
John Bannister Gibson, the first President Judge of Bradford county, was born November 8, 1780 in Sherman's Valley, Perry county, Pa. He was the son of Lieut.-Colonel George Gibson, an officer of the Revolutionary army, who fell in St. Clair's expedition against the Indians on the Miami in 1791.
He received his preparatory education in the grammar school attached to Dickinson College, and subsequently studied in the collegiate department from which in due time, he was graduated. He entered the office of Thomas Duncan, who was afterward an Associate Judge of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and passed through a severe course of reading for the legal profession, and was admitted as an attorney-at-law at the bar of Cumberland county in 1803.
He first opened his office at Carlisle, Pa., and after a few years removed to the town of Beaver in the same state. From this latter locality he changed to Hagerstown, Maryland, and shortly afterwards returned to Carlisle. In 1810, he was elected by the Democratic-Republican party as a Representative in the lower branch of the Legislature and was re-elected the following year, during each session filling prominent stations on important committees. On the 14th of October, 1812, he was commissioned by Governor Simon Snyder, President Judge of the Eleventh Judicial District of Pennsylvania, comprising the counties of Bradford, Tioga, Wayne and Susquehanna (Luzerne being subsequently added). June 27, 1816, he was commissioned an Associate Judge of the Supreme Court, which,
(illustration of John Bannister Gibson)
at that time was equivalent to a life tenure, the appointment being "during good behavior." At the death of Chief Justice Tilghman in 1827, he was appointed by the Governor to succeed him. In 1838, at the date of the adoption of the New Constitution of the State, he resigned his office, but was immediately re-appointed by the Governor.
By a change of the Constitution making the Judiciary elective, his seat became vacant in 1851.
During the same year, he was elected an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, being the only one of the former incumbents who was nominated by the Democratic party. He discharged the functions of his office until attacked by his last illness. He died in Philadelphia, May 3, 1853. As a jurist, he stood among the highest in the land. At home and abroad, his transcendent legal ability was universally acknowledged. His judicial opinions are among the richest treasures of the country.
During the time (from January Term, 1813, to May Term, 1816, inclusive) Judge Gibson presided over the courts of Bradford county, Northern Pennsylvania was a vast wilderness with only a few wagon-roads, generally following the Susquehanna and larger streams. In making the rounds of his circuit in the five counties, Judge Gibson either came on horseback or by stage. He visited Towanda four times a year and held court for about a week during each visit. In 1813 and '14, the regular time of convening court was on the third Monday each of January, April, August and November. Beginning with 1815, the terms of court were changed to February, May, September and December and our terms of court have continued in this order ever since. Upon the erection of the county in 1812, the "Red Tavern," which stood on the corner of Franklin and Main streets, was established as the place of holding court and so continued till the old courthouse was built and occupied in 1816. The court-room was on the second floor, and the prisoners kept in side rooms adjoining, during trial, the jail (log) then being located at Monroeton. In May, 1816, Judge Gibson held the first term of court in the courthouse, which was also his last in the county.
Judge Gibson possessed many accomplishments. He was an expert violinist and usually carried a violin with him on his circuit. After the adjournment of court, he hied himself to his room at the hotel and found both pleasure and recreation with "his fiddle and the bow." Upon the announcement of the death of Mr. Gibson, Chief Justice Jeremiah S. Black, his successor, said: "It is unnecessary to say that every surviving member of the court is deeply grieved by the death of Mr. Justice Gibson. In the course of nature, it was not to be expected that he could live much longer, for he had attained the ripe old age of 76. But the blow, though not a sudden one, was nevertheless a severe one. The intimate relations, personal and official, which we all bore to him, would have been sufficient to account for some emotion, even if he had been an ordinary man. But he was the Nestor of the Bench, whose wisdom inspired the public mind with confidence in our decisions. By this bereavement, the court has lost what no time can repair, for we shall never look upon his like again.
"We regard him more as a father than a brother. None of us ever saw the Supreme Court before he was in it: and to some of us, his character as a great Judge was familiar even in childhood. The earliest knowledge of the law we had was derived in part from his luminous exposition of it. He was a Judge of the Common Pleas before the youngest of us was born, and was a member of this court long before the oldest was admitted to the Bar. He sat there with 26 different associates of whom 18 preceded him to the grave. For nearly a quarter of a century, he was Chief Justice, and when he was nominally superseded by another, as the head of the court, his great learning, venerable character, and overshadowing reputation still made him the only chief whom the hearts of the people would know. During the long period of his judicial labors, he discussed and decided innumerable questions. His opinions are found in no less than 70 volumes of the regular reports.
"At the time of his death he had been longer in office than any contemporary Judge in the world;
and in some points of character he had not his equal on the earth. Such vigor, clearness, and precision of thought was never before united with the same felicity of diction. His written language was a transcript of his mind. It gave the world the very form and pressure of his thoughts. It was accurate, because he knew the exact boundaries of the principles he discussed. His mental visions took in the whole outline and all the details of the case, and with a bold and steady hand he painted what he saw. He made others understand him, because he understood himself. His style was rich, but he never turned out of his way for figures of speech. He never sacrificed sense to sound or preferred ornament to substance. If he reasoned much by comparison, it was not to make his composition brilliant, but clear. He spoke in metaphors often; not because they were sought, but because they came to his mind unbidden. The same vein of happy illustration ran through his conversation and his private letters. I was, most of all, struck with it in a careless memorandum, intended, when it was written, for no eye but his own. He never thought of display and seemed totally unconscious that he had the power to make any.
"His words were always precisely adapted to the subject. He said neither more nor less than just the thing he ought. He had one faculty of a great poet; that of expressing a thought in language which could never afterwards be paraphrased. When a legal principle passed through his hands, he sent it forth clothed in a dress, which fitted it so exactly that nobody ever presumed to give it any other. Almost universally the syllabus of his opinion is a sentence from itself; and the most heedless student, in looking over Wharton's Digest, can select the cases in which Gibson delivered the judgment, as readily as he would pick out gold coins from among coppers. For this reason it is, that though he was the least voluminous writer of the Court, the citations from him at the Bar are more numerous than from all the rest put together. Yet the men who shared with him the labors and responsibilities of this tribunal, (of course I am not referring to anyone who is now here), stood among the foremost in the country for learning and ability. To be their equal was an honor which few could attain; to excel was a most pre-eminent distinction.
"The dignity, richness and purity of his written opinions, was by no means his highest title to admiration. The movements of his mind were as strong as they were graceful. His periods not only pleased the ear but sunk into the mind. He never wearied the reader; but he always exhausted the subject. An opinion of his was an unbroken chain of logic, from beginning to end. His argumentation was always characterized by great power, and sometimes it rose into irresistible energy, dashing opposition to pieces with force like that of a battering ram. He never missed the point even of a cause which had been badly argued. He separated the chaff from the wheat almost as soon as he got possession of it. The most complicated entanglement of fact and law would be reduced to harmony under his hands. His arrangement was so lucid, that the dullest mind could follow him with that intense pleasure, which we all feel in being able to comprehend the workings of an intellect so manifestly superior.
"Yet he committed errors. It was wonderful that in the course of his long service he did not commit more. A few were caused by inattention; a few by want of time; a few by preconceived notions which led him astray. When he did throw himself into the wrong side of a cause, he usually made an argument which it was much easier to overrule than to answer. But he was of all men the most devoted and earnest lover of truth for its own sake. When subsequent reflection convinced him that he had been wrong, he took the first opportunity to acknowledge it.
He was often the earliest to discover his own mistakes, as well as the foremost to correct them. He was inflexibly honest. The judicial ermine was as unspotted when he laid it aside for the habiliments of the grave, as it was when he first assumed it. I do not mean to award him merely that common-place integrity which it is no honor to have, but simply disgrace to want. He was not only incorruptible, but scrupulously, delicately, conscientiously free from all willful wrong, either in thought, word or deed.
"Next, after his wonderful intellectual endowments, the benevolence of his heart was the most marked feature of his character. He was a most genial spirit; affectionate and kind to his friends and magnanimous to his enemies. Benefits received by him were engraved on his memory as on a tablet of brass; injuries were written in sand. He never let the sun go down upon his wrath. A little dash of bitterness in his nature would, perhaps, have given a more consistent tone to his character and greater activity to his mind. He lacked the quality which Dr. Johnson admired--he was not a good hater. His accomplishments were very extraordinary. He was born a musician and the natural talent was highly cultivated. He was a connoisseur in painting and sculpture. The whole round of English literature was familiar to him. He was at home among the ancient classics. He had a perfectly clear perception of all the great truths of natural science. He had studied medicine carefully in his youth and understood it well. His mind absorbed all kinds of knowledge with scarcely an effort.
"Judge Gibson was well appreciated by his fellow citizens; not so highly as he deserved, for that was scarcely possible. But admiration of his talents and respect for his honesty were universal sentiments. This was strikingly manifested when he was elected in 1851, notwithstanding his advanced age, without partisan connections, with no emphatic political standing, and without manners, habits, or associations calculated to make him popular beyond the circle that knew him intimately. With all these disadvantages, it is said, he narrowly escaped what might have been a dangerous distinction, a nomination on both of the opposing tickets. Abroad he has, for many years, been thought the great glory of his native state. Doubtless the whole Commonwealth will mourn his death; we all have reason to do so. The profession of the law has lost the ablest of its teachers, this Court the brightest of its ornaments, and the people a steadfast defender of their rights, so far as they were capable of being protected by judicial authority. For myself, I know no form of words to express my deep sense of the loss we have suffered. I can most truly say of him what was said long ago, concerning one of the few among the mortals who were yet greater than he: 'I did love the man, and do honor his memory, on this side idolatry, as much as any'."
Some Early Physicians -- Dr. Thomas Alexander was located, 1807 on upper Sugar Creek in the vicinity of Troy. He seems to have had quite an extensive practice in the surrounding country. In 1816 he sold and removed to other parts. Dr. Ira Lee, an Englishman, 1813, came into the county to introduce vaccination as a preventive of smallpox. His first stop was at Burlington where he was looked upon as an emissary of Great Britain, commissioned to spread some dreadful disease among the people. He soon left, barely escaping a lynching at the hands of an enraged community. Going to Ulster, his new treatment met with more favor but he suddenly disappeared from the place, 1819.
James Grant and Oratio Grant, physicians, early followed the other Grants from Vermont to Orwell. The latter was local, while James practiced in the surrounding country and for a short time had an office in Towanda. Both removed after a number of years. Dr. Almerin Herrick came to Troy from New York state, 1817. After years of discouragement he built up a fine practice, and was one of the town's most enterprising and worthful citizens. He had been a soldier, War of 1812, and was the first postmaster of the village. He died, 1843 at Troy, survived by his wife Eleanor and children, Delos F., Fidelia M. (Mrs. Allen E. Thomas), DeWitt C., Helen, Lauranth, Juliet and Charles P.
Charles Comstock, son of Enos and Deborah (Kellogg) Comstock, was born September 25, 1795 at Norwalk, Conn. He came to Towanda, 1818 and engaged in merchandising. Under date of July 4, 1818 at Meansville he advertised as follows:
"Cheap Goods! The subscriber offers for sale at the store lately occupied by Col. Harry Spalding, a general assortment of dry goods, groceries, hardware, crockery, tin and
hollow ware, shoes, hats, irons, etc., etc., etc., on the most reasonable terms for cash or country produce. --- CHAS. COMSTOCK"
In 1822 he purchased a farm in Litchfield and moved thereto. The stone house, a celebrated landmark, was erected by him. He moved to Athens, 1828 and resumed mercantile pursuits which he conducted many years, in connection with lumbering. He died in Athens, Nov. 7, 1871. Mr. Comstock married Almira, daughter of Col. Joseph Kingsbury (I--238) and had children, H. Stanley, Henrietta (Mrs. Stephen Hopkins), Malcolm and Walter I.
Earl Mastin, a shoemaker by trade, was one of the earliest settlers in the Ghent neighborhood. He and his wife were rare specimens of humanity, sometimes belligerent and as often compromising. On a plain stone slab in the Sheshequin cemetery may be read this inscription: "Here lies Sally Ann, wife of Earl Mastin, who died April 27, 1824, aged 36 yrs., 5 mos. and 27 days, as I am now so you must be, prepare to die and follow me." Mastin is remembered as being a great fifer. He had sons, Charles and James.
Samuel Needham, a mason by occupation, came to the Towanda-Monroe locality before 1812. He had a son, Benjamin who located at Mauch Chunk and became a man of considerable note.
Beardslee -- Silas Beardslee, a native of New Milford, Conn. came to Wyalusing creek as a claimant under Connecticut title, 1794. He lived near Stevensville until 1799, then moved into Susquehanna county, settling in Middletown. In 1820, at the age of 59, he was killed by a
fall from a load of hay, leaving a wife, three sons and five daughters. One of the sons, John, born June 12, 1808, settled in Warren township and was one of the most successful and prominent men in the county. In 1864 he was elected and served a term as county commissioner. He married Adaline, daughter of Theron Darling and had a son, Randolph L. and one daughter.
DeWolf -- Near the close of the 18th century, Charles DeWolf came with his family from Pomfret, Conn. to Mehoopany, Wyoming county. The DeWolfs were of French origin and being Huguenots were expelled from that country on account of their religious opinions. They took refuge in Holland whence they emigrated to America. Two sons of Charles, Elisha and Giles settled in Pike township, the former in 1817 and the latter, 1824.
Elisha married Lucy Allen and had three children: Lyman E. who married Matilda Pratt, was register and recorder, 1846 to '49, removed to Chicago, practiced law and died, 1887; Giles N. married 1st Emeline Buffington, 2nd Mrs. Eliza Lott and lived to (a) remarkable old age; Elizabeth married Eugene Keeler.
Deacon Giles married Betsy, daughter of Willard Spalding, a pioneer from Vermont. They had 13 children, nine of whom reached matured years as follows: Eliza was twice married, each time to a Mr. Stone; Calvin went West, read law and for a time was a partner with his cousin, Lyman E. in Chicago; died 1899; Fanny married David Brink; Elias died in young manhood; James was a physician; Charles married Clarinda Taylor; Luther married a Dewey; Ellen married Dr. George Northrup; Clement married a Beecher and removed to Chicago.
In 1857, Deacon DeWolf removed to Carroll county, Ill., his family having all grown up and married and nearly all having settled in the West. He died, 1865 and his wife, 1872. Mr. DeWolf was one of the champions of the anti-slavery party in Bradford county.
Consider Wood, soldier of the Revolution, enlisted February 9, 1777 in Rhode Island under Capt. Joshua Benson in the regiment commanded by Col. Rufus Putnam of the Massachusetts line and served until Feb. 9, 1780 when he was discharged at the Highlands, N.Y. He participated in the battle of Bemis Heights and the skirmishes resulting in the capture of Burgoyne. After the war he settled in Dutchess county, N.Y. where, 1785, he married Mary Adams. About 1813 he removed with his family to Pike township and there resided until his death, Feb. 25, 1822, aged 64 years. Both he and his wife rest in the LeRaysville cemetery. They were the parents of five sons, all expert woodsmen, and six daughters as follows: Susannah married
David Codding, was the mother of six children, the late Col. John A. Codding being the fourth; died in Pike, Aug. 19, 1874, aged 88 years. Polly married John McAlpine and lived in Columbia county, N.Y. Josiah married Maria Prentice and lived in Pike; was a soldier, War of 1812. Aaron married Cornelia Carpenter of Ovid, N.Y. and resided in Pike; had five sons and six daughters; four of the sons were soldiers in the Civil War. Abigail married Augustus Adams of Mehoopany, Pa. David married Amy Wells and had three sons and five daughters; lived in Pike. Lucy married Russell Very of Bridgewater, Susquehanna county. Abner married Harriet, sister of Amy Wells and lived in Pike. Platt married Lydia Chaapel and resided in Pike. Deborah died unmarried and Rebecca in childhood.
William Marsh, son of Joseph and Abigail (Waldo) Marsh, born Jan. 15, 1783 at New Milford, Conn., emigrated to Pike township, 1817. He purchased a large tract of land which he continued to improve until his death in 1856. He married 1st Rachel Nichols and had children, Elliott, Wealthy, Cordelia and Amy; married 2nd Martha Nichols, sister of his first wife, and had children, Rachel, Lois, Aden, Lucy, Joseph H., Isaac and Hannah. Children married as follows: Elliott to Almira Roberts, Pike; Wealthy to E. B. Mintz, Herrick; Cordelia to E. B. Mintz, Herrick; Amy to M. D. F. Hines, Herrick; Rachel to John Bolles, Pike; Lois to Davis D. Black, Tuscarora; Aden to Elvira Payne, Enfield, Conn.; Lucy to Daniel C. Miller, Wilmot; Joseph H. to 1st Eliza A. Stevens, to 2nd Harriet Lines, to 3rd Sarah M. Carey; Isaac to Florantha Keeler, Herrick; Hannah to Gould Stevens, Orwell.
Baldwin -- John Baldwin came from England, 1638 and lived at Guilford, Conn. where, April 12, 1653, he married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Birchard. In 1660 he removed to Norwich and was one of the original proprietors of that place. His children were John, Hannah, Sarah and Thomas. Thomas, born 1662, married Abigail Lay of Lyme. They had eight children of whom the fourth was John, born March 8, 1704; he married, May 30, 1734, Lucy Metcalf of Lebanon, Conn. They had seven children, Jabez, who settled in Bradford county, being the youngest.
Jabez Baldwin, born Jan. 11, 1754, served in the Revolutionary war as follows: "December 20, 1775 enlisted at Winchendon, Mass. in 8-months' service, serving until Jan. 1, 1776 when he enlisted in the company of Capt. John Jones in the regiment commanded by Col. James Reed of the New Hampshire line and served one year; February, 1779 enlisted at Lebanon, N.H. in the company of Capt. Joseph
Taylor in the regiment commanded by Col. Timothy Beedle of the New Hampshire line and served one year; was in the siege of Boston and the battle of Bennington, the latter when he was under a 2-months' engagement." In 1815 Mr. Baldwin removed with his family from Massachusetts to Bradford county, settling on a farm between Troy and Columbia X Roads. Here he died May 10, 1825. His wife was Nancy Tilden, who died June 9, 1820, aged 56 years. Both inhumed in Glenwood cemetery, Troy. Their children were Charles Tilden, William, Lucy, Phebe, Thomas and John. Lucy married Ebenezer Preston of Troy; Phebe married Rufus Baldwin, her cousin, and came to Troy; Thomas married Lucy Hudson Smith of Troy and had children, Lucy Ann, Washington, Jane Electa and Charles Tilden, who married Electa White and had children, John, William, Edward and Ida; John married Lois Webber.
Alvah Churchill, a native of Berkshire county, Mass. and tinsmith by occupation, 1817, came to Granville township and pursued his trade. His wife was Aurelia, daughter of Elisha Andrus and their children, Achsah (Mrs. Dunham Ross), Calvin W., Amanda (Mrs. Harry Bailey) and Fayette. Calvin W., who was a successful farmer in Granville, married 1st Laura Holcomb, 2nd Mrs. Mehitable (Ralyea) Gee; children, Olney, Lutilia (Mrs. Hollis A. Holcomb) and Martha (Mrs. D. S. Sherman).
Joseph Gladding, a native of Barrington, R.I. emigrated to Bradford county, 1816, first stopping in Smithfield then settling permanently in Columbia, 1817. He cleared and improved a large farm where he died, 1880 in his 90th year. He married Marcy, daughter of Asa Bullock, and had children, Jerusha B. (Mrs. James M. Edsall), Emeline I. (Mrs. E. P. Shaw), Joseph N., Viall A., William P. and Charles E., register and recorder, 1869-'72.
Sharts (Shartz) -- Soon after 1800, Dr. John Paul Sharts located at Wyalusing for the practice of medicine. According to family tradition, he was called outside the county to assist during an epidemic and never after heard of, leaving a wife, one son and nine daughters. Mrs. Sharts died with her son in Wilmot; one of the daughters married a Bradshaw, another a Taylor and a third a Winslow, the others going to other parts.
John Sharts, only son of Dr. John P. Sharts, early settled in Wilmot on the farm now occupied by his grandson, William, and there remained until his death. He married Polly, daughter of Joseph Preston (I--288) and had 11 children as follows: Betsy married Ira Corbin, Warren; Sally married Daniel Folk, Warren; Ellen married
W. T. Grant, Wilmot; Lorinda married Warren Page, Wilmot; Mary married John P. Ely, Wilmot; John P. married Lovina Santee, Wilmot; Mrs. Thos. C. McCafferty, Wilmot; Mrs. Ezra Kinney, Braintrim; Mrs. David Thurston, Wilmot; Mrs. Sutton, Wilmot; Joseph died a young man, unmarried.
Simeon Bristol, or "Uncle Sim Bristol," as he was familiarly known, was one of Monroe's most interesting characters (1818). When he came is uncertain, but for seven years he claimed to have been among the Seneca Indians and learned their mysteries in the healing art. He is described as a thick-set, well-built man of genial face, full of fun, enterprise and pleasant mischief. He was steady, sober, honest and with all the rest, possessed nerve. He was a distiller by occupation and operated the distillery for Fowler Brothers. He was a bachelor, lived alone and took great comfort with his hounds, a number of which he kept for the chase. "His hounds were always ready for a race and at times would break away from their fastenings and take a race to themselves without Uncle Sim's being present to superintend the hunt. The man that was in luck and killed the deer was expected to feed the dogs and render the skin to Uncle Sim, reserving the rest of the game and all was right." Finally, Mr. Bristol married a Miss Wilcox of Franklin and moved up Towanda creek where he died.
George Vibbert, a native of Connecticut and soldier, War of 1812, born July 4, 1798, came to Sheshequin about 1818. He married Betsy, daughter of Richard Horton. Their children were Eliza Ann (Mrs. Perrin Shores), Richard, James, William, Ethelinda (Mrs. Stephen Bidlack) and Mary E. (Mrs. John Chandler). Mr. Bidlack died Nov. 20, 1863 and his wife (b. July 21, 1802), Sept. 15, 1885.
Benjamin Corson came from the East to Monroe, 1817 and in 1820 settled in Albany. He saw hard times, indeed. "He made pine shingles and drew them on ox-sleds out to Homet's where they were exchanged for corn and pork; and it was with some difficulty that the stock of provisions was made to last until another load of shingles could be taken to market." He died in 1852, aged 87 and his wife, Betsy Smith, in 1842, aged 74 years. Their children were George, Samuel, Oliver, Richard, Betsy, Vinson, Ichabod and Thomas.
Simeon Chapman, b. May 12, 1799, came from Rensselaer county, N.Y. to Albany, 1817, assisted in the building of the turnpike and afterwards took up a farm where he died Nov. 11, 1868. He married Polly (b. Apr. 3, 1802, d. Mch. 22, 1879), daughter of John Nichols. Their children were Sylvester, Nelson, John, Lyman, Lucy, Elias, Levi and Charles.
John Nichols, a native of Connecticut, who was an expert basket-maker, came to Bradford county, first stopping on Gregg Hill and afterwards, 1818, moving to Albany where he purchased and improved a farm. In 1842 he sold and moved to Smithfield and there died, 1849, aged 72 years. He married Margaret, daughter of Robert Potter and had children, Sally, Isaac, Polly, Elsie, James, John, George, Kelsey, Julia Ann and Marian.
Jacob Eddy who had married a daughter of John Nichols, came to Albany with him, 1818 and settled permanently. His children were Robert, Alfred, Madison, Washington, Sally, Dency, Martha and Ruth.
John Pierce -- The wife of Col. Samuel Satterlee of Smithfield was Eunice, daughter of John Pierce. Soon after her birth, her father removed from Connecticut to the Wyoming valley where he was killed in the battle of July 3, 1778. Her mother escaped with little Eunice, then aged about 18 months, to the mountains and partly led and partly carried her through the wilderness for sixty miles to the settlements on the Delaware river, whence they returned to Connecticut. She married another John Pierce, a Revolutionary soldier, who came to Bradford county about 1801, and by him had one son, John L. Pierce, who died in Smithfield at an advanced age. The patriot father died in Athens township as will be seen from the following which appeared in the Northern Banner: "Another Revolutionary patriot gone -- died at the house of John Griffin in Athens on Friday, Nov. 14, 1834, John Pierce in the 82nd year of his age, much lamented by his relatives and numerous friends." He is supposed to have been buried at Milan but his grave is unknown and unmarked.
David Allen was a descendant in the fourth generation from James Allen, who it is supposed came from Scotland, 1639, and settled at Medfield, Mass. David removed from Massachusetts to Halifax, Vt. He married Experience Streeter and had several children of whom David, Joel, Jonathan, Ruth and Eunice came to Bradford county. After some of his children had settled in Smithfield, he came also. Being an invalid, he was brought all the way from Vermont on a bed in a sleigh, March 1818, by his son Joel. He was a man of strong character, a zealous Baptist and exercised a splendid influence in the community. His death occurred in 1825.
David, Jr., who had married Abigail Goodenough, removed from Vermont to Smithfield, 1818. He was a mason and farmer; died in Smithfield, 1839. Children and marriages follow: Asa to Lucy Graves; Ezra to Lydia Chamberlain; Lewis to Martha Carnegie; Tabitha
to 1st ____ Wilcox, to 2nd, John Lyon; Abigail to 1st, James Gates, to 2nd, David Nye; Jonathan to Anna Chamberlain; Polly to Stephen Wilcox; Betsy and David died unmarried.
Joel married Lydia Tucker, came to Smithfield, 1818, died 1875, aged 87 years, leaving children, Joel C., Lydia M., Amos T. and Mrs. Mary Harris.
Jonathan married 1st, Lois Califf (pg. 215), 2nd Eunice Smith; lived in South Creek and Smithfield; died 1844, aged 78 years. In his will, (he) provided for (his) wife, adopted daughter, Mrs. Lydia Hall, Prudy Balster, Alvin T. Allen, and brother, Joel Allen.
Ruth married Stephen Califf (pg. 215), was the mother of 12 children, died in Smithfield, 1847, aged 77 years.
Eunice married Jonathan Hall, died in Smithfield.
There was another David Allen, not of this family, who had settled in Smithfield in or before 1813. He died March 15, 1833, aged 69 years.
Conrad Hartman, a Hessian and very worthy man, came to Smithfield about 1816. He served under Colonel Rahl and was taken prisoner at Trenton where the colonel was killed in December, 1776. When his comrades returned to Germany, he concealed himself in a chimney and remained there until the shipping left the harbor. He married in this country and had a son and daughter. The son enlisted in the American army and was killed on the Niagara frontier, War of 1812. His daughter, Almira, married Calvin Cranmer with whom he died, March, 1828 in Smithfield.
King -- Capt. John King came from England, 1649, and settled at Northampton, Mass. He married Sarah Holton and they were the parents of nine sons and three daughters. Their youngest son, Jonathan, married Mary French of Deerfield who, when 9 years old, was taken captive by the Indians and carried to Canada, but afterwards redeemed. Jonathan and Mary King had six sons and two daughters. Gideon, the youngest son, born at Bolton (afterwards Vernon), Conn., married Charity Tucker. They had two sons and two daughters of whom Salmon was third.
Rev. Salmon King, son of Gideon and Charity (Tucker) King, was born Oct. 4, 1771 at Vernon, Conn. He was graduated at Yale college in 1796, made a public profession of religion, 1797, was licensed to preach, 1798 and ordained, Nov. 5, 1800 at Orford, Conn. He was pastor of the First Church of Manchester at Orford eight years, and from 1810-'14 preached at Greensboro, Vt. In 1814, he removed to Warren township, Bradford county and Sept. 5, 1815, the Church of
Orwell and Warren (Congregational, changed to Presbyterian, 1824) was organized by him and Rev. John Bascom with 8 members. At this time, the country was sparsely settled and Rev. King shared with his people the inconvenience of a home in the wilderness. There were no roads and wheel-vehicles were curiosities. On alternate Sabbaths the pastor rode 10 miles on horse-back, the way being indicated by marked trees, to preach in Orwell. Services were first held in a log school-house, then in a frame school-house until finally a church was erected in which he continued to minister until his death. "Rev. King was a plain, primitive man, somewhat eccentric. His talents, piety and worth placed him on an eminence. He was remarkable in particular for his prompt performance of duty. No weather kept him from the place of meeting." His death occurred April 15, 1839, much lamented by the church and congregation. Mr. King married 1st, Mary Adams Isham and had children, Mary and Catherine; Mrs. King died, 1809, and he married 2nd, Mary, daughter of John and Abigail (Butler) Ames of Wethersfield, Conn., who was born Jan. 5, 1780 and died Sept. 15, 1821 in Warren; they had children, Salmon, William, Harriet, Abigail Ames and Jane; married 3rd, Mrs. Eunice (Talmadge) Hinman, May 28, 1822, no issue. Children married as follows:
Mary, b. April 12, 1805, married, Nov. 10, 1829, Hiram Stevens of Pike, died April 29, 1892 in Orwell; children, Mary A. I. (Mrs. Edward C. Bull), Harriet K. (Mrs. Hampton Champlin) and Salmon R.
Catherine, b. Dec. 18, 1806, died Jan. 4, 1850 at Stevensville.
Salmon, b. Dec. 20, 1809, married on Oct. 21, 1834, Mary Ann C. Pitcher of Warren, died Oct. 31, 1887 on the homestead in Warren; one child, William Edgar.
William, b. Sept. 14, 1811, married Sept. 7, 1840, Eliza Wynkoop of Saugerties, N.Y., died Feb. 15, 1879 near Planeville, N.Y.; children, Charles A., Mary S. and John S.
Harriet, b. Aug. 27, 1813, died July 30, 1834 in Warren.
Abigail A., b. Feb. 3, 1817, married July 9, 1845, William S. Bates of New Hartford Center, Conn., died March 7, 1872; children, Mary E. and Juliette.
Jane, b. Sept. 15, 1821, was the last survivor of the family.
John Kneeland, a native of Milton, Mass., served his country faithfully, both on land and sea, during the Revolutionary war. In May, 1780, while residing at Braintree, he enlisted as a private under Capt. John Calendar in the regiment commanded by Col. John Crane of the Massachusetts line and served 6 months. In April, 1781, he became a
seaman under Capt. John Cathcart on the ship Essex and in June of the same year was captured by the British. He was confined at Kinsalo, Ireland 4 months, then taken to England and kept until 1783. It is also claimed that Mr. Kneeland was one of the party of 50 men and boys, dressed like Indians, who on the night of Dec. 16, 1773, dumped 340 chests of tea into Boston harbor. He was given a pension under the act of 1832. In about 1816, he removed to Rome, Bradford county, settling the place known as the Harry Clark farm. He had married Miriam Baker of Boston. They had three children, two of whom died in early childhood, the third, Anna, married Hiram Frost of Rome. Mrs. Kneeland died Sept. 9, 1836, aged 70 years, and her patriot husband, noted for his exalted Christian character, August 21, 1851 in his 87th year. Both (are) inhumed in the Rome cemetery.
Benoni Hulett from Schoharie, N.Y. located in Litchfield in or before 1808 and there resided until his death about 1825. He had sons, John, Ira, Lewis, Samuel and Benoni. After their father's death, most of the family went to Ohio. Samuel remained in Athens township and died there, 1863, survived by his wife, Hannah and children, Nehemiah, Joel, Samuel, Jr., Rufus King, John, Peter (deceased), Mrs. Maria Vangorder, Mrs. Catharine Merrill, Mrs. Almina Rolinson and Mrs. Philomelia Lawrence.
Zenas Cleveland, who had served in the War of 1812, came to Litchfield, 1816 and there resided until his death in 1873, aged 94 years. He was unfortunate, being for many years bedridden and blind.
Struble Family -- Richard Struble was one of the early settlers of Litchfield. His son, Richard, located at Bumpville in Rome township. The latter married Huldah, daughter of Russell Gibbs and had children, Henry, David, Phoebe, Sally Ann and Priscilla; married 2nd, Lucy Gibbs, sister of his first wife and had children, Daniel, Louisa, Horace, James, John, Ralph, Jacob and Huldah. The daughters married as follows: Phoebe to Joshua Merrill; Sally Ann to Hezekiah Townsend; Priscilla to Abraham Campbell; Louisa to W. M. Vibbert; Huldah to 1st Elias Warner, to 2nd, a Mr. Brush. Mr. Struble and his wives died at Bumpville and are buried there.
Nathaniel Viall, who was a soldier, War of 1812, came to Terry township about 1813. Before coming hither from New York state, he had married a Miss Wilson, by whom he had six sons and a daughter. His wife died and the children lived with their grandparents who afterwards moved to Ohio. June 24, 1814, Mr. Viall again married at Terrytown, Hannah Gaskell and had children, Francis, Charles and Deborah.
The locality settled by him and his sons is still known as "Viall Hill." Here, both Mr. and Mrs. Viall died and are inhumed in Terrytown cemetery.