Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Pioneer & Patriot Families of Bradford County PA 1800-1825
Vol. II - Clement F. Heverly - Pages 281 - 292
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Joseph C. Clark
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Additions and Corrections from Heverly's addendum have been incorporated directly into this transcribed version.

Photo by Joyce M. Tice July 2001
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
(Page 281, continued after Court Records)

Elisha P. Henson, a native of Windham, Conn., settled in West Burlington, 1815. He built a grist-mill and saw-mill which he operated some years then cleared and improved a farm where he died, 1860. He married Experience Pratt and had children, Erastus, Simeon P., Simon B., Martha (Mrs. David Corby), William I. N. and George W.

Simeon married Julia A., daughter of John Corby and followed farming. Their children were Louise (Mrs. Geo. Porter), Susannah (Mrs. Alden Fleming), Maria (Mrs. John Ray), Charles Alfred, Betsey, Adelia (Mrs. Francis Chilton) and Cordelia (Mrs. James Benjamin).

The Humphreys coming to Bradford county were descendent from Michael Humphrey who came from England and settled at Windsor, Conn. in 1643. Members of the Humphrey family, Alvin, Milton and William, began their emigration from Connecticut to Orwell in 1815. Dr. Dudley Humphrey, a son of Theophilus, and Dudley Case Humphrey came in 1819. The latter located in Warren township.

Dr. Dudley Humphrey practiced medicine in Orwell until his death, 1826, being survived by his wife, Eliza and children, James Dudley, Ann Eliza, Emily Almira and Theophilus. James D., the father of Ira B. and Charles D., died in Towanda, 1865.

Dudley Case Humphrey married Almira Gorham. He died in Warren, 1876, survived by his wife, Margaret (evidently second) and children Newton, Crittendon, Joseph, Seth, Elizabeth Page (late Elizabeth Chaffee) and Elsie Dewers.

William Sexton married Tamasin Fairchild of Little Meadows, Pa.; they removed with their family from Connecticut to Orwell, 1816, and there spent the balance of their days. Of their children, Mary married Wm. Pearl and removed to Ohio; Docia married Comfort B. Chaffee of Orwell; Jabez E. married 1st, Jenette Jillson of Warren, 2nd, Mary White of Windham; his children were William, Ruth (Mrs. Anson Collins), Melissa (Mrs. Orsemus Carpenter), Lydia (Mrs. Seneca Arnold) and Willis.

Henry Ransom, a blacksmith by occupation, located at what has since been known as Ransom Corners, Orwell, 1817. Here he died Feb. 22, 1862, leaving ten children: Harriet (Mrs. E. K. Collins), Mary (Mrs. Augustus Eddy), Hannah (Mrs. Stephen Vought),

(Page 282)

Charlotte (Mrs. A. M. Wattles), William C., Tamasin (Mrs. Lawrence Vought), Elisha, Amos, Harrison and Martha.

Other Smithfield Settlers -- Asahel Dutton was located in the town, 1808; in 1813 came Asa Farnsworth, Austin and Chauncey Kellogg; in 1814, Wm. Farnsworth, Seth Gates, Tartius Rose, Timothy Brigham, Judson Fairman, Stephen Wilcox, Abner and Nelson Thomas; in 1815, Joseph Ames, David Durfey and Frederick Perkins; in 1816, Jonathan Hall, Abraham Jones and Luman Kellogg; in 1817, Hezekiah Crowell; in 1818, Nehemiah M. Beach, Rufus Hosley, Eleazer King and Rev. Pentecost Sweet.

History of the foregoing families follow:

Asa Farnsworth, who was from Vermont, died 1824, leaving seven children.

Austin, Chauncey and Luman Kellogg were brothers. After a number of years they removed from the town. In January 1820, a sad and frightful accident occurred by which Mrs. Austin Kellogg and her infant lost their lives, being burned to death or suffocated. Mrs. Kellogg had been hatcheling flax from which the lint had filled the room with particles more or less fine. It was supposed a coal of fire fell from the fire-place, when it immediately blazed into flame, filling the room.

William Farnsworth came from Vermont, bringing his family and effects with an ox-team. He married Polly, daughter of John Carnegie and had several children, of whom William P. was the last survivor.

Seth Gates, who was a cousin of Gen. Horatio Gates of revolutionary fame, settled across the line in Springfield on the farm afterwards occupied by his son, Horatio. Here he died at the age of 82 years and his wife at 97. They reared a family of 13 children.

Timothy Brigham, a native of Massachusetts and singing school teacher, came to the county before 1812. His mother was an own sister of Brigham Young, the Mormon high priest, although the Brighams never espoused the Mormon faith. Mr. Brigham resided in Smithfield, Burlington and Granville. He was twice married and the father of 11 children. His death occurred, 1845.

Stephen Wilcox, a soldier, War of 1812, was from Halifax, Vt. He cleared and improved the farm afterwards occupied by his son, E. U. Wilcox. He died at the age of 82.

Frederick Perkins came with his family from Goshen, Conn. He was a son of Luke Perkins and his wife, Matilda, a daughter of John Steadman. Both Luke Perkins and John Steadman were slain by the British at the massacre of Fort Griswold. Mr. Perkins died in Smithfield, 1838 and his wife, 1877, aged 94 years. Their children were Charles F., Joseph, Luke and Hope. Luke married Ruth Pierce and had a large family, three of his sons being soldiers in the Civil War.

Joseph Ames was from Rhode Island. He had a family of 8 children.

(Page 283)

Both he and his wife died on the farm afterwards occupied by his son, S. W. Ames.

Abraham Jones, son of Israel Jones, a Revolutionary soldier, came from Halifax, Vt. He was a surveyor and sub-agent for the Bingham lands. His sons cleared and improved a farm. He died in the township at the age of 94.

Jonathan Hall died in 1861, survived by his wife Sarah J., son B. J. Hall, brother Alvin Hall and sister Achsah Hall, all of whom were provided for in his will.

Hezekiah Crowell from Connecticut, a son of Samuel Crowell, a Revolutionary soldier, settled next the Springfield line. Here he died at an advanced age, leaving three sons and three daughters.

Nehemiah M. Beach brought his family from New Haven, Conn., making the trip with two ox-teams and a horse. He settled the Dallas Beach place, was active in church matters and his house headquarters for the M. E. denomination. He died at the age of 90 and his wife, Laura at 96. Their children were Stephen, Charles S., Lewis M., Truman M., Fanny Maria (Bush), Harriet Lucelia (Mrs. Chas. S. Brigham) and Laura Ann (Peckham).

Rev. Pentecost Sweet, a drum major in the War of 1812, came from Rhode Island, locating on the Jenny place, where he died at the age of 84, leaving five children.

Rufus Hosley, a native of Massachusetts, removed from Vermont, first settling in Smithfield and fifteen years later in Springfield. Here he died 1853, aged 76 years. His wife was Polly Gates by whom he had five children.

David Owen, a native of Connecticut and of Welsh descent, removed from the East, 1806 to Susquehanna county and from there to Wysox, 1824, buying a considerable tract of land. "He was a good farmer, a strict religionist and a regular contributor and attendant of the Presbyterian church. In his latter years, he was quite deaf and regularly occupied the pulpit with the minister to enable him to hear the sermon better." He died Dec. 23, 1851, aged 84 years. He was twice married. By his former marriage he had one child, Joel. His second wife was Aurelia Bennett, who died Dec. 16, 1853, aged 84 years. Their children were Lucinda, Lovica, Lydia, David H., John, Polly and Samuel.

Joel married and had two children, Curtis and Elvira.

Lucinda married a Mr. Wilmot and had two children.

Lovica and Polly died unmarried.

Lydia married Thomas Thayer and had two children.

David H., b. Feb. 22, 1802, married March 22, 1824, Sally Ann, daughter of Benjamin Coolbaugh, died Feb. 27, 1853; she, b. Sept. 10, 1803, died July 5, 1881. Their children and marriages follow: Mary A.

(Page 284)

to Charles Evans, Benjamin D. to Mary DeLong; Fidelia E., James S. and Charles R. died unmarried; Jerusha A. to Christopher Trepus; George W. to Jennie H. Hicks (Passmore); Ellen L. to A. J. Fisher; Alice B. to C. Everton Welch.

John married, May 13, 1834, Harriet Bachelder of Albany, N.Y., and had children who married as follows: Melvin B. to Cidney Lent; Fred H. to Ella M. Purcell; Frances J. to Frank E. Allen; Susan M. to James E. Suffern; Harriet F. to C. W. Cole. Mr. Owen married 2nd Mrs. Emily P. Osborn of Sheshequin and had children, Lizzie S. (Mrs. Henry M. Mears), John J. and Galen B. He died in Wysox, 1869, aged 61.

Samuel, b. Oct. 14, 1810, married Mary Flower Patrick, died in Wysox, July 7, 1884; she was b. Jan. 3, 1813, died April 11, 1881. Their children and marriages follow: Stella A. to C. O. Ward; Edwin G. to Susan A. Lent; Samuel S.; Prof. William Baxter to Eva F. C. Peters; Mary A. to Charles Wurtenburg; Marian L. to Louis Wurtenburg; Zephon Flower.

Horace Williston, the fifth Judge of Bradford county, was born May 31, 1783 at Suffield, Conn. He was a son of Consider and Rhoda (King) Williston. His father had fought in the French and Indian war and when the Lexington alarm was given, leaving his plow standing in the furrow, he hastened to the front. He was made an ensign under Capt. Elihu Kent and with a company of 59 men, set out for Lexington, April 20, 1775. After a few days, the company returned, when he re-enlisted in Capt. Oliver Hanchett's company under Gen. Joseph Spencer. Consider Williston was commissioned lieutenant of the company and served till Dec. 17, 1775 when he was discharged.

As a boy, Horace Williston went to Lewis county, N.Y., where for a couple of years he and his brother engaged in farming. He then removed to Whitney's Point and pursued the mercantile business for a short time. Retiring as a merchant, he went to Binghamton and began reading law with one LeRoy. In the winter of 1814, he removed to Elmira and entered the office of Vincent Matthews where he continued his studies a few months and was then admitted to the bar. He returned to Binghamton where he opened an office in partnership with Martin Whitney. During his practice in the state of New York, he was associated at the bar with Judge Nelson, Hon. John A. Collier and other eminent lawyers of that day and whose warm friendship he always enjoyed.

On Sept. 6, 1819, Horace Williston was admitted to practice in the several courts of Bradford county and in November following took up his residence at Athens. His subsequent career we give in the language of the late H. W. Patrick, who in speaking of the death of Judge Williston said: "He had been steadily engaged in the duties of his profession for more than 35 years and few have devoted their whole time so unceasingly as the deceased. At that early day,

(Page 285)

Illustration of Judge Horace Williston

(Page 286)

this and adjoining counties were only sparsely settled and the circuit of his practice included a large extent of territory. I have often heard him say that he attended the courts of Susquehanna, Tioga, Potter and McKean counties, which with Bradford at that time composed the district, regularly for a number of years and over roads impassable except on horseback. Added to this he was compelled many times to travel day and night and

suffer hardships which the youngest of us would shrink from. For more than 20 years, he attended the sitting of the Supreme Court at Sunbury without missing a single term and generally attended the District Court of the United States at Williamsport. He was always employed in the most important cases and there was scarcely a cause of importance originating in this district that did not embrace his name as an attorney or counsel on one side or the other. With what honesty and integrity he at all times discharged the duties and obligations incident to the profession I need not say -- the high and unblemished character which he always maintained in the public estimation is a sufficient answer. No honest client who sought him for an honest purpose ever left dissatisfied. With a keen and just sense of right and wrong and with that honesty of purpose which characterized him through life, with an active and impressive mind he embarked in the cause of his client, when convinced that he had been wronged and injured, with as much ardor and vehemence as if the cause were his own. And his accurate judgment of men, whether jurors or witnesses, gave him a great advantage over most of the profession and made him an efficient counselor, an invaluable colleague and a fearful opponent.

"Mr. Williston was commissioned President Judge of the 13th Judicial District, comprising the counties of Bradford, Tioga, Potter and McKean by Governor Johnston, April 6, 1849. He held the office till Nov. 6, 1851. By an amendment to the State Constitution, the judiciary was made elective and Hon. David Wilmot was chosen his successor. The manner in which Judge Williston discharged his official duties gave very general satisfaction. His unblemished integrity as a judge, his great professional attainments, his familiarity with the duties of his court and his high sense of his judicial obligations endeared him to the profession and gave them the highest degree of confidence in his decisions. Of the private character of the deceased, what can I say? We were all his neighbors and his friends. My voice sinks within me and my tongue almost refuses its office when I bring back in memory the social qualities which so endeared him to the large circle of his acquaintances and friends whom he ever enjoyed while his health lasted. No man among us ever more enjoyed the society of his friends, and no man had a more happy faculty of making all happy around him. His last looks upon earth were upon those he most loved. They soothed his pillow, lessened the agony of his dying hours and received his affectionate and final blessing. He lived and died in the full belief of the Christian's hope." He died August 14, 1855 at Athens in the 73rd year of his age.

Judge Horace Williston was married January 8, 1809 at Lisle, N.Y. by his brother, Rev. Seth Williston, D. D., to Hannah Parsons (b. June 13, 1779 at Richmond, Mass.), daughter of Capt. Jacob and Lorraine (Sedgwick) Parsons. They had nine children, Rhoda, George, Horace, Lorenzo, Eliza, Hannah, Clarissa, Lorraine and John, all of whom grew to maturity except Hannah, and all but George, Lorenzo and Clarissa lived and died in Athens.

Horace, b. Aug. 7, 1813, married 1st, Jane White, 2nd, Catherine R. Barber and had children, Anna B. (Mrs. Lucius A. Sherman), Katherine M. and Rev.

(Page 287)

Horace; died April 13, 1878 in Athens. He was many years agent for the Carroll lands, Brigadier General of State Militia, one of the first and an active abolitionist.

Lorenzo P. read law with his father and was admitted to the bar Dec. 13, 1837. He removed to Wellsboro for the practice of his profession and was elected to the lower branch of the State Legislature from Tioga county. In 1860 he went West and was subsequently appointed Territorial Judge of Montana by President Lincoln. After the expiration of his term of office he returned to Wellsboro and continued to practice law until his death in 1887.

Alexander Kennedy (originally Canedy, Canada), a native of Vermont and of Scotch-Irish parentage, emigrated, 1820, with his wife, ten sons and nine daughters from Halifax, Vt. to Sheshequin. In 1822 he removed to Springfield township, settling a mile from Leona, where he and his sons cleared and improved a large farm, still owned by his descendants. Mr. Kennedy, who was born July 12, 1764, was a man of large stature, noted for his strength and athletic power. He married Catherine, daughter of David Brown of Colerain, Mass. She was born Dec. 20, 1770 and died Aug. 20, 1853. He died Nov. 12, 1847. Both inhumed in the family plot on the Kennedy farm.

Their children and marriages follow:

Sally to Abraham B. Gore, Sheshequin;

Alexander died unmarried;

Margery to Joel Guild;

David not married;

Noble to Betsy Haskins;

Avery to Achsah Shult;

Elizabeth to George Wilcox;

Polly to Chester Williams, Troy;

Lydia to Alanson Smith, Armenia;


Hosea to 1st, Martha Wolf, to 2nd, Lucretia Wilson, to 3rd, Maria Knowlton, to 4th, Ruth Ann Brown;

Lephe to George Wolf, Columbia;

Comfort to Hannah Smith;

Babe died;

Chester to Electa Hallock;

Annis to Elisha Rich, Springfield;

Morton to 1st Betsy Smith, to 2nd Lucretia Schaff;

Antis to David Fanning;

Samuel to Letty Hakes.

Capt. James Smith, a native of Yarmouth, England, who was educated by the British government for the marine service, came to Sheshequin in 1820. Until forty years of age, his life had been spent upon the seas, during which time he made three voyages around

the world and visited almost every port. He was captain of a vessel for 17 years, and as a representative of the navy was at different times in attendance upon the King's court. The rich dress which he wore on court occasions was preserved and brought to America with him. After coming to Sheshequin, he married Rebecca Gillett, sister of Warren and Dr. Zadoc Gillett. He never lost his fondness for the water. He constructed and operated the first sail-boat on Lake Wesauking; also had sail-boats on the river and built canal boats. Captain Smith had received an excellent education and is remembered as a kindly gentleman of courtly manners. He died Oct. 1, 1860, aged 76 years and 7 months.

(Page 288)

His wife died July 13, 1850, aged 68 years. Their only child, James, married Diana, daughter of Nathaniel Shores.

George Gooding, a native of Devonshire, England, after a voyage of six months, reached Sheshequin in 1820. He married, 1824, Mrs. Jane (Smith) Eggett, a native of Yarmouth and sister of Capt. James Smith. He died in Sheshequin May 28, 1875, aged 80 years, 3 months and 8 days. His wife died Dec. 27, 1867, aged 73 years. By her former marriage, Mrs. Gooding had two daughters: Mary Eggett who married O. H. P. Kinney and Jane Eggett who married Ralph Gore. Unto George and Jane Gooding two children were born: Edward G. who married Mahala A. Kipp and Millinie, the second wife of George Gore.

Charles Phillips, from West Springfield, Mass., located in Springfield township, 1812. Here he died, 1860, upon the farm which he had cleared and improved, survived by his wife Anna and children, James L., Charles, Elijah, Martin, Mary, Sarah Ann and Caroline (Maynard).

Elam Bennett came as a settler to Springfield township in 1815. He was long a leading member in the Baptist church. At the time of his death, 1863, he and his wife, Mary, were the oldest couple in Springfield. Their son, Francis G. Bennett, succeeded to the homestead.

Ezra Rathbone, a Revolutionary soldier, settled near East Smithfield, where he died, 1829. While a mulatto, (he) was a very good man. He had three or four sons, one of whom, Abner, was quite a forceful Methodist preacher. Abner, with his wife, Betsey, 1837, conveyed 62 acres of land in Smithfield to Darius Bullock. Abner went West and purchased a property near Des Moines, Iowa, which became very valuable.

William Robinson, a native of Granville, Mass., born November 5, 1791, followed his brother, Curtis Robinson (p. 187) to Orwell where he spent the balance of his days. He married, 1811, Lydia Parker (b. Oct. 4, 1789) and had children who married as follows: Malenda A., b. Nov. 26, 1812 to Bishop Waterman;

Olive M., b. May 20, 1814 to Joel Barnes;

L. Eliza, b. July 4, 1816 to Judson Eastabrooks;

William O., b. April 18, 1819 to Alvira Snow;

Aurora P., b. July 9, 1822 to Mary Green;

James E., b. Oct. 20, 1825 to Mary Barber;

Almira E., b. Jan. 11, 1829 to Isaac Clark;

A. Celestina, b. Sept. 20, 1833 to Chester Parks.

Isaac Park, b. Oct. 25, 1784 at Groton, Conn., was a son of Stephen and Annie (Williams) Park. His father was a Revolutionary soldier and lost his life, 1792, while trying to cross the North river on the ice. Isaac learned the boot and shoe trade, served eight years in the Militia and as Minute Man, 1813. In 1814 he removed to Otis, Mass., where he built a tannery and shoe-shop and carried on business until 1818 when he followed his old friend and neighbor, Elihu Buttles, to Bradford county, settling in Herrick. Here he took up a farm and died May 7, 1850.

(Page 289)

He married, 1812, Hannah, daughter of Jonas and Lucy (Spicer) Gray of New London, Conn. They had children, Isaac Austin, Lucy and Jackson.

Isaac Austin, b. Oct. 26, 1814, married January 1, 1845, Melissa A., daughter of Levi Mericle, died March 16, 1892 in Herrick. He spent several years in the South-west then returned to Herrick and engaged extensively in farming. In 1862 upon the formation of the 141st P.V., he was chosen captain of Company D and served until April 1863 when he resigned on account of sickness. He was county commissioner (from) 1853 to '56, a prominent and worthful citizen, having the confidence and esteem of all.

Charles Stuart, a Revolutionary soldier and pensioner, came from the state of New York to LeRoy and there spent his closing years. In his will he provided for his wife Mary, children, Clarissa Gibbs, Elvira Kelly, Deborah Wilcox, Aurelia Grover, Sally Barnum and Betsy Shaft and grandson, Charles S. Minard. His death occurred Feb. 18, 1840 at the age of 79 years and 3 months; inhumed in the LeRoy cemetery.

Thomas Munn from Tompkins county, N.Y. located in Litchfield township in or before 1812, sharing with others the privations and hardships of pioneer life; and here spent his days in clearing and improving land. He married Mary, daughter of Silas Wolcott. Their children and marriages follow:

Charles to Hannah Swartwood;

Silas to Sally Park;

Elijah to Anna Merrill;

Rowen to Jane Andrus;

Betsy to 1st E. T. Potts, to 2nd Alanson Loomis;

Joseph P. to Abigail Merrill;

Lemuel to Harriet Wilkinson;

John to 1st Eunice Johnson, to 2nd, Phebe Park;

Thomas to Mary Ann Lambert;

Ezra to Jane Chandler;

Ulysses to Charlotte Lambert;

Huston to Rachel Sinsebaugh;

William to Caroline Chandler;

Ransom died in young manhood.

Other Early Residents of Litchfield were Ruloff and Samuel Campbell, the latter of whom built the first saw-mill in the town, Alsop Baldwin, William Loomis, Daniel Bush, who built and operated a grist-mill, William Cotton, Nathaniel Hotchkiss, Absalom Adams and Paul Apgar, a blacksmith.

Squires Family from Connecticut of which Peter and Sturgis were members, was among the first to locate in Columbia township. Owing to land difficulties, it appears that only Peter remained and he removed to Ridgebury township where he settled permanently. Sturgis, a younger brother, returned East, joined the Connecticut Militia and served three years, or until 1815, during the War of 1812. After the war he went to the Lake country, thence Ridgebury where he continued to

(Page 290)

reside until his death in 1879, aged 87 years. He was a man of considerable prominence and was elected county commissioner in 1850. The Squires of the second generation in Ridgebury were Miles E., Nathaniel, Phineas and Reuben F.

John L. Webb, one of the most successful pioneer politicians, was born Feb. 25, 1794 in the state of New York. His parents were Connecticut people who had moved to the Empire state but subsequently returned to the "Land of Steady Habits." Among the shrewd and hardy Yankees he that was to play an active part in our political history, received his training and education. In 1813 he came with a neighbor to Chemung county, N.Y. and in 1819 was united in marriage with Annis Hammond. In 1823 he removed to Ridgebury township. His first political honor, after coming into the county, was the appointment as justice of the peace, an office he held about ten years. Becoming interested in public affairs, he soon took a hand in politics, espousing the principles of the Democratic party. In 1827 he was nominated and elected coroner and in 1830 county commissioner. He performed his duties with ability and fidelity and having made friends in the county and being a shrewd manager, in 1833 was nominated by his party and elected sheriff. Up to 1836 Mr. Webb had been successful in all his political contests. In that year he met with his first reverse. He was the Democratic nominee for Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, his opponent being Nathaniel Clapp, Whig, of Athens. The Whigs made a determined effort to carry the county and succeeded, defeating Mr.

Webb by 137 votes. Although active in the councils of his party, Mr. Webb was not again a candidate for office until 1845, when he with Victor E. Piollet was nominated by the Democrats for the legislature. Both were elected and the following year Mr. Webb was re-nominated. At the election held Tuesday, Oct. 13, 1846, he was elected, but having been taken suddenly ill, he died on the Saturday following. He was in the prime of life and vigor of manhood. His worth and abilities were being appreciated. Had he lived, he would have attained, undoubtedly, higher honors in the political arena. His good sense, natural shrewdness and unimpeachable character made him a leader among his fellows. Dr. Bullock, Gen. Samuel McKean, Jas. P. Bull, E. S. Goodrich, Wm. Elwell, David Cash and David Wilmot were his Democratic associates and warm personal friends. All the sons of John L. Webb became political leaders and filled high positions of honor and trust. Mrs. Webb survived her husband twenty-five years. They had one daughter, Polly S., who married Virgil S. Vincent of Smithfield. Of their distinguished sons:

(Page 291)

James H. was born Dec. 4, 1820. He belonged to the Wilmot school of Democrats, but upon the formation of the Republican party, cast his fortunes with it. As in the case of his father, his first office was that of Justice of the Peace to which he was elected in 1847. In 1854 he was nominated and elected as a Democrat, register and recorder, and in 1857 re-elected to the same office by the Republicans. He was elected to the legislature in 1866 and re-elected for four successive terms and then again elected in 1873. During the session of 1871 he was chosen speaker of the House of Representatives. His record as a law-maker was a long and honorable one. He was at all times faithful in the performance of his duties and looked well to the interests of his constituency. While some more brilliant fell, he scoffed the briber's gold and was always true to the people and his county. In 1881 he was again elected register and recorder. At the conclusion of his official term, he retired from politics and gave his attention to the practice of law, having been admitted to the bar at the age of 65 years. The death of this splendid man and citizen occurred in Towanda, February 21, 1896.

William C. went West, read law and was chosen president judge. He also served as a member of the legislature in both Wisconsin and Kansas.

Henry G. prepared himself for the legal profession and was admitted to the Bradford county bar in 1849. He went to Wisconsin where he was elected to the legislature, serving in both the house and senate. He moved to Kansas and was chosen a president judge. His death occurred Sept. 28, 1910 in his 85th year.

Charles G. also went to Wisconsin and engaged in the practice of law. He was twice a state senator, two terms president judge then elevated to the supreme bench and finally became chief justice of Wisconsin. Instances are, indeed, few where father and all his sons succeeded along the same line and each through his own efforts.

David Griswold came to Wells township, 1818, purchasing of George Hyde. He was prominent in the affairs of the new settlement and several years a justice of the peace. He died, 1865, survived by his wife Sarah Ann.

Nathaniel N. Betts came from Oxford, N.Y. to Towanda, 1820, to officiate as clerk for Gurdon Hewitt with whom he subsequently became a partner. After Mr. Hewitt removed to Owego, he sent Joseph D. Montanye to Towanda as his clerk. He afterwards sold his interest to the other two and the firm became Betts & Montanye -- for several years one of the principal firms of the town. Mr. Betts was in his

(Page 292)

later years a magistrate and scrupulously honest in his official relations. He married Eliza, daughter of Wm. Means and after her death, Eliza C., daughter of Dr. Adonijah Warner of Wysox. His death occurred May 29, 1875 at the age of 76 and that of his wife, April 18, 1897 at 93 years. They left children, Eliza Ellen who married Dr. Henry C. Porter, and Nathaniel Noble, long cashier of the First National Bank of Towanda.

Samuel Starks, a Revolutionary soldier, came to the Orwell neighborhood before 1812. The last years of his life were spent in the vicinity of Tuscarora where he died March 18, 1834, aged 75 years. Charles Starks, evidently a son, was appointed administrator of his estate and furnished as bondsmen, Cyrus Shumway and Martin Lyon.

Nehemiah Curtis in 1820, a resident of Bradford county, on September 11th, in asking for the benefits of a pension, made affidavit as follows: "That he the said Nehemiah Curtis, enlisted for a term of three years on the -- day of June, 1777 in Massachusetts in the company of Capt. Joshua Eddy in the regiment commanded by Colonel Gamabel Bradford; that he continued to serve in said corps until August 6, 1780, when he was discharged from the service in the state of New York; that he was in the battles of White Plains and Frog Point; aged 65 years and a farmer by occupation but unable to work at trade; family a wife 60 years old." Further as to this patriot we are not informed.

Frederick Fisher, popularly known as "Major Fisher," came to the Monroeton neighborhood about 1820 and a few years later moved to the Towanda Hills. He was an active politician, prominent in local affairs, a singing-master and major of militia. At the husking bees and political gatherings his voice was always heard. He married Dolly, daughter of Rev. Elisha Cole; died May 14, 1857, aged 60 years, 6 mos and 7 ds; she died May 16, 1865, aged 66 years and 24 ds. Their children were John, George, Marvin, Willis, Laura (Mrs. Mace), Lamira (Mrs. Lyon), Avaline (Mrs. Merritt Knapp), Isabella (Mrs. Hiram Adams) and C. Orlando.