William Marvin, a house carpenter, came early to Pike township from New England to ply his trade. He was an excellent mechanic and lost his life, 1837, by an accidental fall while working upon a house in Towanda. He was the father of five stalwart sons (whose combined height was 30 feet) and two daughters--John G., Francis, Eli S., Edwin C., William, Clarissa (Mrs. Oliver Northrup) and Sophia (Mrs. Stevens). Francis occupied the homestead with his mother, Lucinda; Eli S. went West; William settled in Smithfield.
John G., who had received his education at Middletown, Conn., engaged in teaching. In 1840 and '41, he had charge of the Athens academy and was "the ablest and most successful teacher and principal ever at the head of that widely known institution."
He read law and in the early '50's went to California where he was chosen the first superintendent of public instruction. He became eminent in the legal profession and in due time was elevated to the Bench. In hopes of restoring his health, he went to Honolulu where he died.
Edwin C., like his brother, began his career as a teacher and was his assistant at the Athens academy. He subsequently went to Bedford county where he read law and was admitted to the Bar. In the summer of 1853 he started for California, sailing from New York on the ocean steamer Northern Light. While coming up the Pacific coast, the vessel was wrecked and Martin and all on board drowned. The Marvin boys are remembered as gentlemen of fine physique, pleasing address, good looking and capable of working "their way through anywhere."
The Coddings are of English origin. Capt. James Codding was one of the first settlers of Taunton, Mass. He had a son Ensign James Codding whose son, James, married Abigail Cobb. They had a son James who married Joanna Eddy and had three children, David, Abiel and Abigail.
David Codding, the elder son of James and Joanna (Eddy) Codding, was born June 4, 1786, at Taunton, Mass. He received a good academic education and for several years followed school teaching in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. While teaching at North East, Dutchess county, he became acquainted with Susanna, daughter of Consider and Mary (Adams) Wood (pg. 248) whom he married June 7, 1812. In early manhood, Mr. Codding met with a misfortune which was a great handicap; while doing the "honors" in arousing militia officers, his gun burst, tearing off his left hand. However, after his marriage, his son John A. says: "Father taught school winters and worked on a farm as a day laborer through the farming season. He had only one hand but managed to do nearly all kinds of farm work. He could mow, cradle, hoe and rake and do many other kinds of work as well as any one. In October, 1823, he came with his wife and six children to Pike, Bradford county. He built a log house in the primeval forest, and for the next ten years, our parents struggled with extreme poverty. The house had only one window with twelve lights 7x9. The door was hung with wooden hinges with latch and fastenings of the same kind; a floor of unplaned boards came to within about 8 feet of the west end of the room and on that space a fire of wood was built on the ground without stove or chimney; a stone chimney was built the next season. We had no chairs or table; a table was improvised by wooden pins about 20 inches long driven into holes bored in the logs at the side of
(Illustration of Col. John A. Codding)
the room, and a long board placed on the pegs made a table where we all sat with our faces towards the side of the house. For chairs we had blocks sawed from small logs about the size of a nail keg. When we desired to move our block, we turned it down on the floor and rolled it to a place where we desired to sit. On such chairs, we sat and ate our roasted potatoes, and if we could get corn bread of the plainest kind, it was a luxury. In this primitive log house we lived 18 years."
With true pioneer courage, Mr. Codding struggled on. He cleared land, taught school and worked at the mason's trade. Later in life, he became a Methodist preacher and was superintendent of the Burlington circuit. His good and faithful wife bore her part most heroically, and in the evening of their lives, they enjoyed every comfort, surrounded by affectionate children. Mrs. Codding, b. Feb. 8, 1786, died Feb. 5, 1865; Mr. Codding died Aug. 19, 1874. They reared a notable family of four sons and three daughters:
Mary Adams, b. Oct. 24, 1813, married Jackson K. Bosworth, died Oct. 30, 1895; was the mother of eleven children (I--317).
Amy Tompkins, b. May 2, 1815, married Clinton Keeney, died Aug. 12, 1874; children, Lovisa, John, Mary and David.
David Seabury, b. July 20, 1817, physician, married Celinda A. Ladd, died Aug. 30, 1891; children, Lydia O., Martin O., Clarissa, Mary, Edgar and Julia.
John Alpine, b. July 6, 1819, married Nov. 14, 1847, Perciller L. Hodge, died June 1, 1909 in Towanda. He was one of the noted men of the county and in his closing years "the grand old man." He was a successful teacher, mason and merchant, one term sheriff of the county and 16 years a magistrate. He was long active in the old militia, passing through the different grades to colonel. In his old age he was remarkably brilliant and exact. Children: James H., lawyer, twice congressman, a 33rd degree Mason, holding the exalted position of Grand Secretary General of the Ancient Scottish Rite for the Northern Masonic jurisdiction of U.S.A.; John W., lawyer and former district attorney; Charles L., eminent physician in Duluth; Mary (Mrs. Alex. H. Davis), deceased.
Martin Ham, b. April 4, 1821, married Evaline Smith, died Dec. 7, 1910; children: Mary F., Burton O. and Leslie A.
Susanna Desire, b. March 14, 1823, married Albert F. Shadduck, living; children: Mary A., John and David.
Abner Wesley, b. Oct. 7, 1829, died March 30, 1835.
Morrow--John Morrow was a native of Dunleavy, County Monaghan, Ireland, where he tended a grist mill. He married Nancy, daughter of John Gamble (pg. 164) and some years after his sons and father-in-law had immigrated to Bradford county, he and his wife came also. Mr. Morrow was an expert builder of stone-wall fences and was thus employed by the more thrifty farmers after settling in Wilmot. His death occurred Oct. 24, 1837, aged 67 years and that of his wife, April 1860, in her 85th year. Both (are) inhumed in (the) Lacey street cemetery. Their children were John, William, James, Hamilton, Robert, Betsey
(Mrs. Lewis Page) and Margaret. James married Miss Sharts, died 1848; William died 1854; Hamilton married Jane Walker, died 1886 in Herrick, aged 74.
John Morrow, Jr., when a lad, came from County Monaghan, Ireland, with the Gambles to Wilmot in 1811. For a few years he was a merchant at New Era and Terrytown, then followed farming and cattle raising at Quicks Bend on the farm now owned by his son Wm. Gibson. Mr. Morrow married Sally, daughter of John Horton, Sr., (I--221) of Terrytown. He died Aug. 10, 1873; she, b. May 29, 1798, died April 27, 1874. They had six sons and two daughters, as follows:
George H. died, unmarried, Dec. 30, 1873.
John Wallis died, unmarried, March 20, 1857.
James Harvey married Sabra Smith, died June 22, 1857.
Deborah Ann married Andrew Fee, died 1910.
Nancy P. married Capt. John G. Brown, died April 1, 1874.
Francis Gailey married Sarah Webb.
William Gibson married Eliza Miller.
Hon. Paul Dudley Morrow, the fourth son of John and Sally (Horton) Morrow, was born February 17, 1828 in Wilmot. His early life was spent at home, where in alternate labors of the farm, the studies of the school-room and teachings of the home circle were laid the foundations of a good physical development, firm intellectual culture and high moral character which distinguished him through life. At the age of 18 he began a preparatory course of study at Franklin Academy and in 1848 entered the freshman class of Hamilton College from which he was graduated with honors in 1852. In 1879 this institution conferred upon him the degree of L.L. D. Previous to entering the academy and while pursuing his studies, he was engaged in teaching for several terms. Possessing a strong analytical mind, argumentative and practical in the ordinary affairs of life, turned naturally to the law as his chosen profession and immediately after his graduation went to Towanda and entered the law office of Judge Mercur as a student-at-law. In September, 1853, he was admitted to the bar, having studied law extra during his senior year under Dr. Dwight.
Entering upon his profession he found at the bar such men as Elwell, Adams, Mercur and others, who then were eminent in their profession and doing the principal part of the legal business of the county. To make for himself a place and obtain business against such competitors required no small ability, energy and perseverance. He made haste slowly but made it a rule to do well whatever he had to do; and, with an unyielding integrity of purpose, he attracted attention and won the confidence of the public, so that in 1856 he was elected district attorney. In 1862 he became a law partner of Judge Wilmot, who was then United States Senator, and remained with him until he was appointed one of the judges of the Court of Claims at Washington. He was subsequently associated with Henry Peet, Esq., until March, 1865, and then with Judge Mercur until March, 1870, when he received the appointment of Additional Law Judge of the 13th District, composed of the counties of Bradford and Susquehanna.
In the fall of 1870 he was elected Additional Law Judge for a term of ten years. Under the new Constitution, Bradford and Susquehanna counties were each made a separate judicial district, and Judge Streeter having assigned himself to the latter in 1874, Judge Morrow was commissioned President Judge of the Bradford district for the remainder of his term. Having proven a wise, painstaking and honorable officer, in 1880 he was re-nominated by the Republicans of the county and endorsed by the Democrats, receiving almost a unanimous election. Judge Morrow was a hard worker, painstaking and diligent. Conscientious and upright in the discharge of his duties, just and correct in his decisions, he won the confidence and respect of all. He had a well-balanced, discriminating mind and an abiding love of justice. His sentences were always pronounced in touching words, full of good advice, revealing his true kindness of heart and noble manhood.
Politically, Judge Morrow was originally an active member of the Democratic party until 1854 when the Kansas and Nebraska question led him to cast his lot with the opposition and became a warm advocate of the principles of the Republican party. He was a ready supporter of both church and school interests as well as every enterprise looking to the advancement of literature and the preservation of good society. In religious belief he was a Presbyterian. Always genial, he was a true and warm friend. In 1857 Judge Morrow married Miss Harriet King Pitcher of Warren, a woman of rare intellectual and social culture. They had three children: Henrietta (Mrs. James T. Hale), John P. and Charles S., all deceased. Judge Morrow died in Towanda, Dec. 14, 1890, after a lingering illness and his wife, March 31, 1900.
Wilmot--Benjamin Wilmot with his wife, Ann, daughter, Ann, and two sons, Benjamin and William was settled in New Haven, Conn., 1641. William, the younger son, married Sarah Thomas. They had five sons and five daughters, all of whom married and left issue. One of the sons, John, married Sarah Clark and was the father of nine children. His son, Valentine, settled in Woodbridge, Conn. Randall, a grandson of Valentine, was born May 20, 1792, at Woodbridge. He was twice married, first, to Mary Grant, and secondly, to Mary Carr. Two children resulted from the first alliance, David and Mary, and five from the second, Jane, Lois, Edward, Maria and Celinda. All of these married except the youngest daughter. The father settled, first, in Sullivan county, N.Y., and later at Bethany, Wayne county, Pa., where he resided many years. He finally removed to Ohio and died July 9, 1876, at Bozetta.
Hon. David Wilmot, the elder child of Randall and Mary (Grant) Wilmot was born January 20, 1814 at Bethany, Wayne county, Pa. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and in the Aurora, N.Y. academy. Of his boyhood, one who knew him well writes: "David was not a bad boy and he had no vices, but he was the very spirit of mischief incarnate. Bright, active and alert, mentally, he abominated the very name of work and if freedom from
(Photo-portrait of Hon. David Wilmot)
that constituted happiness, then he was surely happy." At the age of 18 he went to Wilkes-Barre and read law in the office of Geo. W. Woodward. Two years later he was admitted to the Luzerne County Bar. Soon after his admission he decided to locate at Towanda and the records show that he was admitted to practice in the several courts of Bradford county, September 8, 1834, when he was yet under age. He soon became a conspicuous personage and early in his career gained a great influence over the people. He had a fine voice, a good presence and an eloquent tongue. He possessed a remarkable analytical mind but was not a great lawyer save before a jury. He relied upon his latent resources at the moment to make up for his lack of thoroughness and aversion to study. However, he was a deep thinker and with his quickness of comprehension and eloquence, carried juries while others more thoroughly versed in the law made but little impression.
He very soon attracted attention as a debater on political questions, taking the Democratic side of the house opposed to Gen. Samuel McKean and his followers. In 1836 and 1840 he supported Martin Van Buren for the presidency, and in 1844 was nominated and elected to Congress as a "free-trade Democrat" from the district composed of the counties of Bradford, Susquehanna and Tioga. When the tariff question came up in the House, 1846, he was the only member from Pennsylvania who voted for the repeal of the "tariff of '42." In common with the Democratic party, he favored the annexation of Texas.
The Wilmot Proviso
Col. A. K. McClure, historian of Wilmot's time, says: "The Wilmot proviso that convulsed the country was simply a repetition of the Jeffersonian proviso to the ordinance of 1787. In 1846 when the Mexican war was in progress, it was well known that the purpose of the administration was to acquire Mexican territory with a view of creating future slave states, and thus maintain the equilibrium of the government as taught by Calhoun. On the 8th of August, 1846, President Polk applied to Congress for an appropriation of several million dollars to be placed entirely at his own disposal for the purpose of negotiating a treaty of peace with Mexico. The prospect of the erection of future slave states out of Mexican territory aroused the anti-slavery sentiment of the North, and among the most pronounced of the dozen or more anti-slavery Democrats was David Wilmot. The House had a decided Democratic majority and the Speaker was in heartiest sympathy with the administration in all its purposes. It was difficult, therefore, for
Democrats who were suspected of opposition to the policy of the President to obtain recognition for the purpose of offering the anti-slavery proviso. At a conference of anti-slavery Democrats, Judge Brinkerhoff of Ohio presented what became known as the Wilmot Proviso of which the following is the full text:
"Provided, that as an expressed and fundamental condition to the acquisition of any territory from the Republic of Mexico by the United States, by virtue of any treaty that may be negotiated between them and to the use by the Executive, of the moneys herein appropriated, neither slavery nor involuntary servitude shall ever exist in any part of such territory, except for crime, whereof the party shall be first duly convicted."
"Copies of this proviso were made and given to each of the anti-slavery Democrats with the understanding that the first of the number who could obtain the floor when the bill appropriating money to the President was under consideration should offer the amendment. It happened that Wilmot was the first to be recognized when the Mexico Peace Appropriation bill was before the House, and he thus became the father of what is now crystallized in history as the Wilmot Proviso. When offered by Wilmot, it produced the utmost consternation in the House, as many Democratic members had become alarmed at the anti-slavery sentiment developed in their districts. The House was in committee of the whole and to the surprise of both sides, the proviso was adopted by a vote of 83 to 64; on final passage the bill received 83 votes to 73 against it. The bill went to the Senate where Lewis of Alabama moved that the proviso be stricken out. It was the last day of the session, when Senator Davis of Massachusetts obtained the floor and spoke against the proviso until the hour of noon, when the Senate adjourned (for the) day. That was the first instance in which a bill was defeated by speaking against time in the Senate."
The measure, though lost in Congress, created a great agitation throughout the country, and was the wedge which split the Democratic party upon the slavery question. Many of the Democrats in the district made a bold assault upon Mr. Wilmot for this and tried to prevent his return to Congress. In 1846 he was re-elected on the tariff issue over Judge White, a high tariff Democrat, and again in 1848, mainly on the sentiment of his proviso. While he had been elected as a Democrat, he was a "free-soiler" and supported Van Buren for the presidency in 1848. In 1850 Mr. Wilmot again secured a re-nomination to Congress as a "free-soil" Democrat, which resulted in a split of the Democratic party in the district on the slavery question. The pro-slavery Democrats having put a candidate in nomination, for the good of the party,
upon Mr. Wilmot's suggestion, both candidates withdrew and Galusha A. Grow was selected as a compromise and elected. "Wilmot's great strength was his readiness to maintain his convictions. He never faltered when the slavery question was foremost and he became very generally appreciated and one of the great leaders in the anti-slavery movement in the nation. He never practiced the arts of the demagogue, strictly honest, and more than able to maintain his position against all comers. During his last term in Congress he was one of the most consistent and earnest, and certainly one of the ablest of the brave men who lined up to resist slavery aggression."
In 1851 Mr. Wilmot was elected president judge of the district over William Elwell, the independent candidate. He served as judge until 1857, when he resigned the office to enter the gubernatorial contest. His competitor, Wm. F. Packer, the Democratic candidate, was elected, but his defeat sounded the death knell of the Democratic party in the state and made him more popular than before. At a serenade given him at his home in Towanda after his nomination, he said: "I well understand I can not be elected but the canvass will be the means of establishing a party of which the people will be proud and can rely upon." His statement was verified the next year by a Republican victory in the state. In December, 1857, Governor Pollock appointed him president judge of his old district, and the next year he was again elected by the people. The political animosity engendered by the gubernatorial contest among his political opponents led to an organized effort to depose him as judge and a number of his enemies went to Harrisburg with a view to legislate him out of office. The movement was thwarted.
Mr. Wilmot was a delegate to the first National Republican convention, held at Philadelphia, June 18, 1856, and was chairman of the committee on resolutions and drew up the famous resolution denouncing "slavery and polygamy as the twin relics of barbarism." In the convention he was proposed for vice president on the ticket with Mr. Fremont and received 43 votes; the nomination, however, went to Wm. L. Dayton of N.J., Abraham Lincoln of Illinois being second in the list. In 1860 Mr. Wilmot was also a delegate to the National Republican Convention held in Chicago and was its temporary chairman. He with the Pennsylvania delegation was instructed to vote for Gen. Simon Cameron. After one ballot he saw that Seward would be nominated unless Cameron was dropped; whereupon the Pennsylvania delegation, he at its head, asked leave to retire. After consultation, Mr. Wilmot asked that their instructions be taken off which was agreed to by the delegation.
Upon the second ballot, nearly their whole vote was cast for Mr. Lincoln, which carried enough others on the third ballot to nominate him. President Lincoln never forgot Wilmot's efforts in his behalf and they were ever after devoted friends.
Judge Wilmot was a member of the Peace Conference held in Washington, 1861. When coming down from one of its meetings he said: "There is no use; we cannot agree and I am not sure that a war would be the worst thing that could happen to this country. I fear it is near at hand." In 1861 he was a candidate for U.S. Senator but Cameron held the balance of power and gave the victory to Edgar Cowan. Later during the same session of the Legislature when Cameron resigned the Senatorship to enter Lincoln's cabinet as Secretary of War, Wilmot was chosen to succeed him. At the end of his two years' term the Democrats had carried the Legislature by one majority and made Charles R. Buckalew senator. Soon thereafter Wilmot was appointed a Judge of the Court of Claims, a position that he held until his death. His vigor was much impaired during the last few years of his life by steadily failing health, and after his retirement from the Senate he ceased to take any active part in the political conflicts of the time. The end was sad. Continued ill health affected Mr. Wilmot's mind and he finally died of softening of the brain, March 16, 1868, at his home in Towanda.
Judge Wilmot was a man of strong convictions; a man greatly beloved by his friends and unsparingly hated by his enemies. He was a powerful speaker, keen in debate, carrying with him the hearts of his hearers and producing conviction in others frequently by the strength of his own. The devotion of his people in the Northern Tier of counties was unexampled. They had unbounded faith in his judgment and fidelity. He was the idol of the masses. His remains rest in Riverside cemetery where upon a plain slab is inscribed his name, date of birth and death and the text of the Wilmot proviso.
Judge Wilmot married Nov. 28, 1836, Anna, daughter of Thomas H. and
Katherine (Gregory) Morgan of Bethlehem, Pa. She was born April 14, 1814
and died March 25, 1888. They had three children: Charles Grant, David
and Thomas Morgan. The first two died at an early age, and Thomas M. in
1875, unmarried, at 30 years.
Daniel Orcutt came from Whitehall, N.Y. to Wilawana, Athens township, in or before 1808. Here he lived and engaged in farming until about 1840 when he removed to Chemung and died with his son John L. His wife was Deborah Tozer by whom he had six children, Barak, John L., Henry, Betsey, Sally and Calvin. Barak married a Miss Miller
and about 1825 removed to Ohio where he died. John L. married
Betsey, daughter of Lawrence and Sarah (Helm) Vangorder and had children,
John H., Calvin, Daniel, Sarah, Deborah (Mrs. A. I. Decker), James and
Betsey. He settled just across the state line in Chemung and engaged in
farming until his death. Betsey married Jeremiah Hollon and spent
her last days in Monroe township. She was the mother of Sally (Mrs. Joab
Summers), Charles, Daniel O., Deborah (Mrs. Guy C. Irvine), Eliza (Mrs.
Wm. Irvine), Lyman G., Lydia (Mrs. Daniel Cook), Almira (Mrs. Jas. W. Irvine),
Harry S. and William. Sally married James Jones of Addison, N.Y.
and Calvin died in boyhood.
Jacob Bell came to Wysox before 1812, built and operated
a clothing and fulling factory at Myersburg which he and his wife Deborah
sold in 1814 to Wm. Allen who continued the business.
Reuben Eddy, a native of Vermont and soldier of the War
of 1812, came to Wysox, locating on the State Road in 1822. His wife was
Sally Burbank by whom he had children, Augustus, Amos, Reuben W., Jacob,
Miner M., Eliza (Mrs. Wm. A. Benedict) and Evaline (Mrs. Hoyt). Miner M.
and Jacob were soldiers in the Civil War. Mrs. Eddy died July 9, 1848 in
her 64th year and Mr. Eddy, Jan. 7, 1865, aged nearly 84 years.
Jason Potter, a native of Plymouth, Conn., purchased a
large tract of land at Potterville in Orwell and came thereto in 1824.
He married Clarissa Tyler of Montrose and had a large family of children.
Both died at Potterville which place is so named for the family.
Abraham Goodwin became a resident of Ulster in 1825. He
subsequently moved to Towanda and engaged in mercantile pursuits, was a
justice of the peace and commissioned associate judge of Bradford county.
Judson Blackman, born Nov. 30, 1798 at Peru, Mass., became a resident of Monroe, 1820. He was first interested in a fulling mill, then purchased land on the South Branch and for many years was extensively engaged in lumbering and farming. He was very successful and left a fine fortune at his decease, Dec. 28, 1864. He married, July 4, 1826, Lovice Rockwood of Peru, Mass., who died Aug. 23, 1883, aged nearly 82 years. Their children were Lyman, Daniel R. and Judson S.
Jeremiah Blackman, a brother of Judson, born June 6, 1804, came to Monroe in 1825. He located on the South Branch and engaged in blacksmithing, farming, lumbering and hotel keeping.
His death occurred February 17, 1878. He married Jane Edsall, who died
April 24, 1881 in her 75th year. Their children were Lucinda (Mrs. Chester
Carter), William H., Lamira (Mrs. Christopher Platt) and Sophia (Mrs. Edward
John Terwilliger, born January 12, 1806 at Ellenville, Orange county, N.Y., came to Standing Stone in 1825. Nearly his whole life was spent upon public works. He relinquished his position at the age of 71 years, having walked during the period of his faithful service a distance of 77,000 miles. For faithfulness and duty performed, he earned a record seldom equaled. He died in Standing Stone, Feby. 5, 1886. Mr. Terwilliger married Belinda, daughter of Benjamin Brown (I--118). She, b. March 25, 1817, died April 3, 1903. Their children and marriages follow:
Morgan E. to Celestia Edsell; Jane to Henry A. Johnson;
1st to C. H. Yontz, 2nd to Geo. Corson; John to Lizzie Adams;
Henry C. died unmarried; Rachel, unmarried, drowned Oct.
23, 1858; Charles L. to Ella Goring; Frank to Katie Vanderpool;
Ellen to Loren Westbrook;
The Huffs were among the Germans settling in New Jersey. About the year 1826, Henry, Isaac and Samuel huff, brothers and sisters Isabella and Martha, natives of Sussex county, removed to Standing Stone. Isaac after a few years removed to Smithfield and later to Athens where he died. Samuel removed to Ulster and died there. Isabella married Jacob Vosburg and Martha became the wife of Daniel T. Vannest.
Henry, b. Oct. 3, 1790, cleared and improved a fine farm in Standing
Stone, where he died Dec. 27, 1871. He married Susan Hankinson, b. May
3, 1793, d. March 31, 1844. Their children and marriages follow: John
Harriet Vannest; Uriah D. to Charity Donley; Isaac to Amret
A. Russell; Joel W. to Sophia E. Roof; Sally A. to John R.
Fulford; Priscilla died unmarried; Henry E. to Mary Newell.
Biles--William Biles with his wife, seven children and brother Charles came from Dorchester, England to Pennsylvania in 1679. He purchased a tract of land along the Delaware and settled at the foot of Trenton Falls. He became an extensive land owner. In the spring of 1682, after the arrival of William Penn, he was chosen to the council of Philadelphia and was a signer of the Great Charter. He died, 1710, and was succeeded by his son William. One of his descendants, Henry Biles, a recruiting officer in the Revolutionary war, settled near Stroudsburg, Monroe county. He married Phoebe, daughter of Alexander Patterson and had children, John, William, Charles, Henry,
Robert, Alexander P. and Benjamin. By a second marriage he had daughters, Polly and Betsy.
Alexander Patterson Biles, b. Oct. 28, 1783, married Sept. 14, 1801, Rosanna Place of Middle Smithfield, Monroe county; came to Bradford county (in) 1825, settling in Wyalusing township where he engaged in farming until his death, March 28, 1855; children and marriages follow:
John to Sallie Bramhall; Eleanor to Jacob Strunk; Phebe to Chandler T. Baldwin;
Samuel W. to Matilda Jane Ennis; James A. to Lizzie Vannoy; Charles to Jane Vannoy;
Polly to Chandler T. Baldwin (husband of deceased sister); Jacob P. to Mary Bunnell;
Rebecca to James Depew; George to Almedia Camp; Lewis to Catherine Vannoy;
Betsy to Calvin Camp.
Andrew Trout, a blacksmith and soldier of the War of 1812,
located at Towanda, 1821. In 1831 he was drowned with Geo. K. Bingham in
going over the Shamokin dam. He had sons, John, Ransom, William, Jackson
and George. John learned the gunsmith's trade, went to Williamsport and
became a man of standing and affluence. Mr. Trout's widow afterwards married
Stephen Hiatt, a blacksmith, came to Towanda in 1824. He was somewhat noted as a musician, being the sole violinist of the neighborhood. During slack times he was wont to go a-fishing with a neighbor, Munger, a fact which being observed by the poet of the town, gave rise to the following doggerel:
"I'll neither work your iron or steel,
Nor will I die of hunger,
I'll take my pole upon my back
And go along with Munger."
Lyman H. Hodges was one of the early inn-keepers of Towanda,
his place being where the Ward House now stands. He died January 13, 1837,
aged 36 years, leaving wife, Lydia and children, Mary, Samantha, Ann and
Sarah. His widow married I. S. Williams.
Daniel Crandall removed from Greenwich, Washington county, N.Y. to Windham township in 1815. He took up a farm in the wilderness and had made valuable improvements when his life was cut short by a sad accident. While assisting a sick friend with others, a tree was felled upon him, causing his death. His wife was Ruth Hurley, by whom he had nine children: Phebe married Mr. Wright of Nichols, N.Y.; Betsy married Charles Hill of Windham, died in Ohio, 1877; Samuel married Phoebe Doane of Windham, died in Smithboro, N.Y., 1883; Benjamin lost his life at 19 by accidental shooting while hunting;
Henry married Betsy Barney of Windham; Lydia Ann married Smith Forbes, died in Rome, 1886; Marion married Alexander Rogers of Windham, died in Tennessee, 1889; Daniel married Nancy Helen Cook of Windham, died in Iowa; Ruth married 1st, Charles Ellsworth, 2nd, George G. Smith, died 1905 in Windham, being the last survivor of the family.
(Page 433, part of Additions and Corrections)
Lent and Riker Family (Holland and German) -- They possessed the manor of Rycken, whence they took the name de Rycken. In 1096, Hans and Melichor de Rycken (Hans being lord of the manor) took part in the first crusade, heading 800 followers. Hans was killed. Melichor returned and a son of Melichor's settled in Amsterdam, Holland, where for two centuries, they occupied positions of trust. Captain Jacob Simosen de Rycken was a zealous supporter of William of Nassau, and a corn merchant. His grandson, Abram de Rycken, came to this country in 1638. He was the American ancestor of the Rikers and Lent family. In 1640 he received the first grant of land given, where the Brooklyn Navy Yard now stands. In 1642 he owned land in what is now Broad street, New Amsterdam. He was engaged in trade with the Indians. In 1646, he made a voyage up the Delaware as far as Fort Casmir. He lost his ship on that voyage. He married in 1639, Greta Van Hammersan Lent of Newton, Long Island, and was an elder in the Dutch church. In 1649, he bought what is now Riker's Island in the East river. He died in 1689, aged 80 years, leaving his farm by will to his eldest son, Ryck Abrameson de Rycken, who sold his farm to a brother, and with a younger brother, Hendrickson de Rycken, took the name of Van Lent, since corrupted into Lent.
It is not clearly understood why they did this, whether from the town in Lentz in Tower Saxony, or from some connection existing between the Noble House of Brunswick, or from a maternal grandfather. From a letter written to Governor Stuyvesant in 1659, appears the name of Hendrick Van Lent, soldier of Coronea, Long Island. He was the maternal grandfather of Ryck Abrameson de Rycken and Hendrickson de Rycken. In 1700, John de Rycken (since corrupted into Riker) bought land in the town of Cortland, Westchester county, N.Y., which he afterward sold to his nephew, Hercules Lent, for 150 pounds. The descendants of Hercules Lent are numerous in Westchester county, N.Y. He was one of the trustees of the Dutch church at Peekskill. He married Caterena Seboulson, daughter of Hendrickson Seboulson of Peekskill. Their children were Abram, John, Hercules and Anna.
Ryck Abramson Lent married Caterena, daughter of Jacob
Van Tassell of Sleepy Hollow. He bought extensive lands in Cortland. He was a miller by trade and an elder of Sleepy Hollow church. He had a son, Abram Lent, who married Mary de Ronda. Abram's son, Hendrickson Lent, married Mary de Pen, returned to Long Island and became the ancestor of the Long Island Lents, settling at Newton, Long Island. His grandson was a member of Congress from Long Island from 1829 to 1833. His son, James Lent, was one of the judges of Kings county. The Lents intermarried with all the old Dutch families. There were 50 Lents in the Continental army. Most of them in Capt. Kronkhyte's company, who was a cousin.
Hercules Lent, Sr., married Caterena Seboulson. Their children were Abram, John, Hercules, Anna and Hendrickson. John married Caterena Van Tassell. His 12 children rented 1,000 acres of land from the Van Cortland estate at Lent's Point on the Hudson near Peekskill. Paid an annual rental of one barley corn a year, payable on St. Michael's, the Archangel's Eve. He was the ancestor of John and Hendrickson Lent.
Henry or Hendrickson Lent (pg. 297, Vol. 1) was the son of Hendrickson Lent and an uncle of John Lent, 3rd (pg. 292, Vol. 1). Henry married Catharine Croft, sister of Barbara Croft, wife of John Lent, 3rd. Polly Croft, another sister, married Godfrey Vought (pg. 298, Vol. 1). Catharine, Polly and Barbara, and two brothers, James and John Croft, were born at Stillwater, N.Y. Their father, John Croft, a German and superintendent of an iron mine at Stillwater, died before the Revolutionary war and the family went to Peekskill where descendants of the family live. The wife of John Croft was a daughter of George Augustus, Duke of Baden. She fell in love and eloped with Croft, who was a steward, and came to America. After her husband's death, her father sent for her, but Captain Rice, the captain of the vessel that was to bring her back to Germany, sold the ship, pocketed the money and settled in Saratoga. Her father died shortly after and he, having no sons, the title went to distant cousins.
Henry Lent, son of Hendrickson, served in the Revolutionary war, 3rd regiment, Westchester Militia, Capt. James Kronkhyte's, Col. Pierre Van Cortland and Col. Drake commanding. Other Lents in Kronkhyte's company were Abram, Abraham, Jacobus, Hercules, John, John L., Albert, Tobias, Matthias and William. -- Furnished by Miss Alice Ransom.