Chapter XXXI pp. 361-376
By Clement F. Heverly
Smithfield is the name of the township that was granted by the Susquehanna Company in 1795 to David Smith and it is presumed was so called (Smith’s field) for him. Smith never lived in the town, but the name has ever clung to the locality, sometimes embracing a much larger territory than now. The Bingham estate and Charles Carroll held the Pennsylvania title to most of the lands within Smithfield. Many of the pioneers had settled on Connecticut claims and were eventually compelled to re-purchase of the Pennsylvania holders.
Geographical.-Smithfield, comprising 1-28 of the area of Bradford county, is bounded north by Athens and Ridgebury, east by Ulster, south by Burlington and West Burlington and west by Springfield. Its surface is a high table-land, somewhat broken by streams which cross it. Most elevated in the north-central part, it is drained northeast by Buck creek, southeast by Brown creek and its tributaries, west and south by Tomjack creek and confluents. Smithfield was covered originally with a dense forest of hemlock, pine, beech, birch, maple, oak, ash and other timber. It was the habitat of deer and ferocious wolves, bears and panthers. Brook-trout were plentiful in the streams. The township has an area of forty two square miles and was formed from Ulster in 1809; population 1239 in 1920.
History: The Pioneers.- Isaiah Grover, a soldier of the Revolutionary War, found his way into Smithfield, 1792, bringing his family. He held a Connecticut claim, built a cabin and began improvements, the first in the township. His location in the wilderness was many miles from the nearest neighbor. It is related that when surveyors came to run out the lands, "The Grover children alarmed at their strange faces scattered like a brood of young partridges when disturbed." Grover sold his claim to Reuben Mitchell and moved to Canton township.
Reuben Mitchell, a native of Rhode Island, who had married Elizabeth Smith, came with his family to Smithfield, 1794, purchasing the claim of Mr. Grover. here he and his family were alone in the wilderness four years before other settlers arrived. his privations were many and severe, but he struggled on, cleared and improved a fine farm. He erected the first framed house in the township. His boys were great trappers. They caught many bears and frequently a panther. It is related that on a certain run they set their traps for Bruin and caught a bear each night, seven in succession. Mr. Mitchell was the father of twelve children: Urania; Reuben, Hannah, Welcome, Edward, Anson, Elizabeth (Mrs. Hadlock), Samantha (Mrs. Ezra Califf), Erastus, Jonathan, Asenath and George Washington, the last named, born February 3, 1799, was the first white child to see the light in Smithfield; Urania was married March 20, 1798, to William Buck of Ulster; Erastus died in childhood, November 4, 1799; thus in this family were the first birth, the first marriage and the first death in Smithfield.
1798.-Improvements were commenced this year by Foster, Baldwin, Waterman, Wheeler and a colored man called "Caesar." They soon discontinued operations and removed to other parts.
1799.- The comers were Oliver Hays, David Crouch, Elias Needham, James Satterlee and Samuel Satterlee. Hays removed West in 1820, and Crouch and Needham, after a number of years in an unsuccessful effort to establish homes, left the town.
James Satterlee, who enlisted at the age of thirteen years to fight for American Independence, was a native of Stonington, Conn. After the war he settled in Otsego county, N. Y., whence he removed to Smithfield. He, his family and effects were in the first wagon that passed from Athens to East Smithfield and were two days making the journey, having to camp out one night, the distance being about ten miles. "Two of the Satterlee children, a boy and girl, were in the woods, some months after their arrival, picking berries, accompanied by a pet shoat, which was also engaged in the same agreeable business of berry picking. Hearing an outcry from the pig, the children looked around and saw their pet in the arms of a bear, which was leisurely walking off on his hind legs with the squealing shoat." Mr. Satterlee died about 1830, aged sixty-six years. He had children: William, Polly (Mrs. Darius Bullock) and Sarah (Mrs. Abiram Pierce).
Samuel Satterlee was a native of Connecticut. He settled three miles northwest of Smithfield center. Taking an active part in political affairs, he was elected to the State Legislature in 1810 and ‘11. He served in the War of 1812 and was at Fort Erie when it was besieged by the British. From his connection with the old militia he was popularly known as "Colonel Satterlee." His death occurred, 1840, at the age of sixty-nine years. He had no children. His wife, Eunice, died, 1869, aged ninety-two years. She was a daughter of John Pierce and was born in Plainfield, Conn. Her father moved to the Wyoming Valley where he was killed in the battle of July 3, 1778. Her mother on learning of the dreadful disaster took little Eunice, then seventeen months old, and fled through the wilderness, reaching her friends in the East after many days of suffering and hardship. Mrs. Satterlee was regarded as the last survivor of that horrible event at Wyoming.
1800.- Jabez Gerould, a patriot of the Revolution, came with his family from Connecticut. His trials in the wilderness were short. He was taken suddenly ill and died June 12, 1802, at the age of fifty-three years. He was the first man buried in the settlement. His wife was Demaris Bennet and their children: Jerusha, James, Susannah (Mrs. Dutee Rice), Ephraim B., George, Ziba, Jabez L., Abel J. and Theodore.
Phineas Pierce came with his family from Poultney, Vermont, also in 1800. He built the first saw-mill in the township about 1806. He was twice married, first to Ruth Gaines by whom he had eleven children, second to Ruth Beebe and had three children. His son, Abiram, was prominent in the affairs of the new settlement and another son, Phineas, lost his life in the War of 1812.
1801.- Solomon Morse, Samuel Kellogg and Nathan Fellows with some of their children, February 11, 1801, were duly organized as a Congregational church at Poultney, Vermont. They immediately started for the "far west," arriving at Smithfield the same month, where they purchased homes under Connecticut title. Mr. Morse settled at Smithfield center where in 1808 he built the first grist-mill in the town. His daughter, Jemima Almira, baptized May 16, 1801, was the first person upon whom this holy ordinance was administered at Smithfield. Mr. Morse was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He had sons, Solomon and Benoni, and two daughters. His last years were spent with his son in Troy township where both he and his wife died.
Samuel Kellogg, who fought for American Independence, was a mechanic by occupation. He was intimately acquainted with General Washington and attended his inauguration as President in 1789. After settling in Smithfield Mr. Kellogg was given employment by Josiah Crocker in his fulling-mill at Milltown. he would leave his family Monday morning and return Saturday evening, bringing with him a week’s supply of cornmeal upon his back. He died, 1839, in his eighty-fourth year. By his wife Sarah Rogers he had children: Clarissa (Mrs. Samuel Bassett), Susanna (Mrs. Butson, Anna (Mrs. Phineas Pierce, Jr.), Cynthia )Mrs. Orramel Tracey), Timothy C., Alvira (Mrs. Asahel Tracy) and Leverett.
Nathan Fellows remained in Smithfield only a couple of years then removed to Sugar creek, leaving the county before 1812.
Michael Bird was a native of Roxbury, Mass. In his boyhood he was apprenticed to a barber and gave seven years’ time and work to learn that trade, which then required special skill and gave the artist high social rank as well as good compensation. Becoming proficient in the art, he was often called to the house of John Adams and other prominent families to dress the hair of both men and women and to braid their queues for balls and receptions. He often dressed the hair of John Q. Adams. In 1790 he married Betsy Lewis and afterwards moved to Rutland, Vermont. While residing here he purchased 160 acres of land in Smithfield under Connecticut title. In 1800 he visited his purchase, built a log house and made some improvements. he returned to Vermont and in March, 1801, with his wife and four children came to his home in the wilds. "To obtain food for his family Mr. Bird would walk to Milltown and work until he had earned a bag of cornmeal then brought it home upon his shoulders. Assisted by his wife and older children he often spent his evenings making brooms which he took to Tioga Point and exchanged for food and necessaries." In time he cleared his farm and died, 1851, in his eighty-third year, in peace and plenty. His children were Fanny (Mrs. Solomon Morse), John, Eliza Abigail (Mrs. Ziba Gerould), Harry Lewis and Laurel (Mrs. Daniel Andrus).
1802.- Dutee Rice, was from the same locality as the Gerould family and followed them to Smithfield. He was by trade a shoemaker, a vocation he plied in the surrounding country. He married Susannah Gerould and had children: Jerusha Ann (Mrs. Grandison Watkins), Susan Mariah (Mrs. Lyman Matoon), Hiram, Mehitable B. (Mrs. Montilion Seely), James G., John J., Jacob P., Caleb B., Betsy and Orrin B.
1803- Alvin Stocking joined the settlement. He died in the fall of 1817. For want of proper facilities, a bier was constructed and the remains carried a distance of four miles and inhumed at East Smithfield. He left children: Alvin, Sally J., Larry A., and John.
1804- Joshua Eames settled and commenced the improvement of a large farm. In 1814 he enlisted in the war and died on the Niagara frontier, leaving a wife and twelve children: Rufus, Esther, Warren, Electa, Lucy, Abigail, Lois, Lyman, Luther, Orrin, Lydia and Robert Rose.
Constant Williams from Williamstown, Mass. came also in 1804. In 1817 he sold his improvements and removed West.
1805.- Nehemiah Tracy, a patriot of the Revolution, emigrated with his family from East Haddam, Connecticut, arriving at his new home in the wilderness July 20. He first occupied a log cabin without floor and windows, but in a few months built a framed dwelling. "Mr. Tracy is remembered for his energetic manner and perseverance in all his undertakings. He was a man of high sense of honor and integrity, and honest in the fullest sense of the term by nature and practice." His wife was Lucy Olmstead and their children: James Olmstead, Orramel, Arobel, Buckley, James Gorham, Benjamin C., Elijah Selden and Sally Lord. Mr. Tracy died 1815, aged sixty-two years, and his wife, 1847, aged eighty-one years.
1806.- John Bassett became a settler, although he had been in the county since 1799. After his death, the farm was sold, the family removing to Illinois.
1807.- Noah Ford, Elias Needham, Zephaniah Eames, and Abner W. Ormsby. Ford and Needham were from Cooperstown, N. Y. After nine years they sold and moved away. Eames and Ormsby came from Becket, Massachusetts. The former sold and removed, 1818. Ormsby was a noted hunter as was his son, Levi D. He cleared and improved a farm upon which he died at an advanced age.
1808.- Asahel Dutton located in the western part of the town.
1809.- Samuel Wood was born, 1761, at Westminster, Massachusetts. In
his youth he went to Vermont to live. At the age of sixteen he enlisted
in a company of "Minute Men" and was assigned to duty in the division of
General Stark. In 1870 he was enrolled in General Arnold’s department at
West Point. On the 23rd of September while on a reconnaissance with a squad
of twelve men under command of a mounted sergeant they came upon a party
of three "cowboys."
These men had in their custody a prisoner, whom they had arrested, traveling on horseback and in citizen’s clothes, under the name of John Anderson and protected by a pass from General Arnold. They had suspicions that he was a spy. The sergenat taking one of his strirrup straps, buckled it around the captive’s wrist, handed the other end to young Wood and detailed him a personal guard in conducting the prisoner to Colonel Jameson’s headquarters. Here the prisoner was tried by a court-martial and condemned as a spy. Ten days later he was hanged under his real name and title of Major John Andre, adjutant-general of the British Army. Mr. Wood was three times called into active service. In 1786 he married Anna Califf and settled at Halifax, Vermont. His wife died, 1804, and he subsequently married Huldah Cole. In 1809 he purchased 360 acres of land in Smithfield and moved from Vermont with his family. He passed through successfully the struggles incident to pioneer life and died, 1828, honored by all who knew him. He was the father of twenty-one children.
David Titus and Ebenezer Pease came also in 1809. Titus was from Becket, Massachusetts. He died, 1812, leaving a wife and children: Ebenezer, Isaac, Lucy, Polly, Jesse, Joseph and Rowena (Mrs. Wm. McKean). His widow, Miranda, married a Mr. Randall. Pease was from Milford, New York. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and tanner and harnessmaker by occupation. "The old hero was wont to relate his thrilling war stories, hair-breadth escapes, trials and sufferings. Once he was captured by the Indians and was made to run the gauntlet. As he ran with the Indians on either side of him, he was severely beaten. Sometimes he was knocked down or fell exhausted when the drubbing would cease until he arose to his feet again. The Indians were going to scalp him, but fortunately he had a ‘double-scalp’, which the savages discovered and in superstitious fear of being haunted by the white man’s spirit desisted." He died in the ‘40’s, aged over eighty years. His children were Jesse, Stephen, Laura and Rhoda.
1810.- Asahel Scott, a native of Ashford, Connecticut, came from Halifax, Vermont, settling three miles northeast of the center. his wife was Elizabeth Peck and their children: Asahel, Ansel, Aaron C., Benjamin P., Linda (Mrs. Wm. L. Williams), Elmina (Mrs. Davis Pierce), Celia (Mrs. Joseph Perkins) and Eliza (Mrs. Daniel Harkness). Mr. Scott died, 1823, in his fifty-sixth year, and his wife, 1847, in her seventy-fifth year.
William Scott, not related to Asahel, was a Revolutionary soldier and a native of Dutchess county, New York. He came to Smithfield, 1810, died, 1838, upon the farm where he settled, aged eighty-nine years. His wife, Mary Stancliff, died, 1839, aged eighty-eight years. They had ten children of whom the following are remembered: James, William, John, Thomas, Sally (Mrs. Eli Bose) and Celinda (Mrs. Jesse Pease.)
1811.- Jared Phelps, Jabez Fletcher, Asa Hackett, Isaiah Kingsley, Sloan Kingsley and Seth Wood were the comers this year. Phelps, a native of Windsor, Connecticut, was a soldier of the Revolution five years and served as a fife-major under the immediate command of General Washington. He married Rowena Fuller, located at Becket, Massachusetts, and from there removed with his family to Smithfield. They traveled with two yoke of oxen and a common cart, settling where the village of East Smithfield now is. Major Phelps died, 1827, aged sixty-seven years. His children were John, Jared, Rowena (Mrs. George Thomas), Ralph, Mary, Sarah, Augustus, Wealthy (Mrs. Gordon Wilcox), William and Henry. Fletcher was a native of East Haddam, Massachusetts, and had been a sailor. He made numerous improvements which he sold to the settlers. His wife was Naomi Pettibone by whom he had children: David, Jacob, Stephen, John, James, Sylvia (Mrs. Uriah Williams), Almira (Mrs. Abram Kniffin), and Charlotte (Mrs. Abram Eastman).
The Kingsleys were brothers from Becket, Massachusetts. Isaiah married Arthusia Fuller and had children: Isaiah, Adna, Esther (Mrs. John W. Miller), Orrin P., Abigail (Mrs. Merritt Wood), Sally (Mrs. Henry B. Brigham) and Annie. Sloan died, 1821, survived by his wife, Almira L., and children: Harmon, Harriet, and Rhoda (Mrs. David Ross). Ward was an Englishman. After eight years he removed to Ridgebury and finally to Tioga county, PA.
1812.- Dr. Darius Bullock, Reuben Beals and sons, Caleb, David, Jesse and Joseph, William Compton, John L. Pierce, Enos Smith, William Smith and Jesse Sumner. Dr. Bullock, who became the most noted of all the pioneers, came from Vermont on horseback and his whole estate on arriving in the new country, consisted of a horse, saddle-bag, pill-bag, four or five dollars’ worth of medicine and $2.50 in cash. Compton was a native of Providence and a ship carpenter by trade. Sumner moved from Halifax, Vermont, with his wife and effects on a sled drawn by two yoke of oxen. When within a day’s journey of their destination Mr. Sumner was stricken with fever and died. Pierce was a half-brother of Mrs. Samuel Saterlee.
1813.- Ezra and Stephen Califf, brothers, came from Vermont, and the next year their father, Stephen, and the balance of the family; also in 1813, Asa Farnsworth, David Allen, Austin and Chauncey Kellogg, brothers. Farnsworth was from Vermont; both he and his wife died June 17, 1824, leaving six children. The Kelloggs were from New York State. In January, 1820, a sad and frightful accident occurred by which Mrs. Austin Kellogg and her infant lost their lives, being burned to death or suffocated. Mrs. Kellogg had been hatcheling flax from which the lint had filled the room with fine particles. It was supposed a coal of fire fell from the fire-place, when it immediately blazed into flame, filling the room.
1814.- David Forrest, Wm. Farnsworth, Benjamin Hale, Tartius Rose, Timothy Brigham, Judson Fairman, Stephen Wilcox, Abner Thomas and Nelson Thomas. Forrest, a Revolutionary soldier, was from Vermont. his wife was Abigail Morse and their children: David, Experience, Oliver, Daniel, Esther, Darius, Abigail, Susanna, Azubah, Asa, Ira and Solomon. Farnsworth, a Vermonter, brought his family with an ox-team. He married Polly, daughter of John Carnegie, and had several children of whom William P. was the last survivor. Hale was from Rhode Island. He married Keziah Rounds and reared a notable family. Their children were John E., Benjamin, Mason, Ruth (Mrs. Hezekiah M. Peck), Lydia (Mrs. Nelson Thomas), and Allen. Brigham was a native of Massachusetts and a singing-school teacher. His mother was an own sister of Brigham Young, the Mormon high priest, although the Brighams never espoused the Mormon faith. Mr. Brigham was twice married and the father of eleven children. Wilcox, a soldier of the War of 1812, came from Halifax, Vermont. He cleared and improved the farm afterwards occupied by his son, E. U. Wilcox.
1815.- Joseph Ames, David Durfey and Frederick Perkins: Ames was from Rhode Island. He had a family of eight children. Both he and his wife died on the farm afterwards occupied by his son, S. W. Ames. Perkins came with his family from Connecticut. he was a son of Luke Perkins and his wife, Matilda, a daughter of John Steadman. Both Luke Perkins and John Steadman were slain by the British in the massacre of Fort Griswold. Mr. Perkins died, 1838, and his wife, 1877, aged ninety-four years. Their children were Charles F., Joseph, Luke and Hope.
1816.- Conrad Hartman, Jonathan Hall, Abraham Jones, Luman Kellogg and Abner Rathbone. Hartman was a Hessian and very worthy man. He served under Colonel Rahl and was taken prisoner at Trenton. When his comrades returned to Germany he concealed himself in a chimney and remained there until the shipping left the harbor. He married in this country and had a son and daughter. The son enlisted in the American Army and was killed on the Niagara frontier, War of 1812. His daughter, Almira, married Calvin Cranmer at whose home Hartman died, 1828. Jones was from Halifax, Vermont. He was a surveyor and sub-agent for the Bingham lands. He died in the township at the age of ninety-four years. Rathbone was a mulatto and quite a forceful Methodist preacher. He went West and purchased a property near DesMoines, Iowa, which became very valuable.
1817.- Hezekiah Peck came form Rhode Island. His children were Sally (Mrs. Waldron), William, Hezekiah M. and Peleg. Hezekiah Crowell from Connecticut settled nest the Springfield line. He had three sons and three daughters.
1818.- David Allen, Jr., Nehemiah M. Beach, Rufus Hosley, Elezer King, and Rev. Pentecost Sweet. Allen was from Vermont; his father, David Allen, and the following brothers and sisters subsequently came to Smithfield: Joel, Jonathan, Ruth (Mrs. Stephen Califf) and Eunice (Mrs. Jonathan Hall). Beach brought his family from New Haven, Connecticut, making the trip with two ox-teams and a horse. He died at the age of ninety and his wife, Laura, at ninety-six. Their children were Stephen, Charles S., Lewis M., Truman M., Fanny Maria (Bush), Harriet Lucretia (Mrs. Chas. S. Brigham) and Laura Ann (Peckam). Hosley, a native of Massachusetts, came from Vermont. He died in Springfield at the age of seventy-six. Sweet, a drum major in the War of 1812, was from Rhode Island. He died at the age of eighty-four, leaving five children.
1819.- Cromwell Child, a Revolutionary soldier, with his wife, one son, Edward A. and three daughters, Margaret (Mrs. Geo. Tompkinson), Priscilla (Mrs. Salisbury) and Mrs. Wood, came from Rhode Island. He died 1838, aged eighty-one years.
The first church organization, see sketch Solomon Morse. In 1802, Rev. James Wood, under the Congregational Missionary Society, preached the first sermon and administered the first communion to the Smithfield church in a log building, standing at the foot of Mitchell hill. The communion-table was a large slab, split from a log, and supported by legs. The wine used was the unfermented juice of wild grapes tempered with water and maple sugar. The Congregational Society erected the first church edifice, 1811, in Smithfield. Nehemiah Tracy was a large contributor and sold his only cow to close the debt.
Primitive Schools.- The first, and for many years the only school house in the town, was built in 1806. It was a log building, half a mile east of the "Center," and accommodated the whole settlement. Ephraim Gerould taught the first school in it. Schools were maintained for a few weeks or months each year. In 1818 the first framed school house was built at the "Center". One of the pupils of Smithfield’s primitive schools says: "We attended school in the log school house in which one end was taken up with the huge fire-place. Spelling was the main study with some attention to writing, geography and grammar. Maple bark or log-wood, boiled in water, furnished ink and a goose quill, sharpened by the ‘Master,’ supplied us with a pen. The teachers boarded round, generally taking their dinners with them. These consisted of bread and milk or bread and maple sugar. Sometimes it was bread and jerked venison, or a piece of pork, roasted in the school fire-place. Money was very scarce and teachers were generally required to receive their pay in grain, maple sugar, flax, geese or other things, which they would take to Tioga Point and exchange for articles of comfort and some money. School was kept 5 1/2 days a week." Another says: "We attended school in the log school house, but at first in a log barn. To sit on the dunce-block was a common punishment."
First Events.- The first settlers found their way into Smithfield by following along Buck creek and by cutting a road through the forest from the river. The first improved road was the Berwick Turnpike, constructed across Smithfield in 1819. First birth, marriage and death, see Mitchell family. Smithfield’s first Justice-of-the-peace was Samuel Wood, commissioned, 1813; the first constable, James Gerould, 1814; the first post-office, East Smithfield, established, 1825 with James Gerould, post-master; the first store, opened 1833, by Lyman Durfy, and soon after, same year, another by E. Selden Tracy; In 1821 a literary society, led by Dr. Darius Bullock, was organized with five members. The assessment for 1813 contains the following: Darius Bullock, doctor; John Bassett, tavern keeper; Asahel Dutton, cooper; Samuel Kellogg, carpenter; Reuben Mitchell, wealthiest citizen, valuation $1000; Nehemiah Tracy, owner of a saw-mill.
Patriotism.- The achievements of Smithfield soldiers in all the wars were crowned with glory. Record: Revolutionary War.- Cromwell Child, David Forrest, Arnold Franklin, Jabez Gerould, Samuel Kellogg, Ebenzer Pease, Jared Phelps, Ezra Rathbone, James Satterlee, William Scott, Nehemiah Tracy and Samuel Wood. War of 1812.- Luther Adams, John Carnegie, Christopher Child, Laben Cooper, Seeley Dibble, Joshua Eames, Asher Huntington, Simeon McCarty, Lemuel Orton, Jared Phelps, Jr., James Phillips, Phineas Pierce, Jr., Nathan Rose, Samuel Satterlee, Pentecost Sweet, George Tompkinson and Stephen Wilcox. Child not only served through the war but was in the navy forty years. Cooper saw service on the Canadian frontier and New York, was in many engagements and wounded at Chippewa and Lundy’s Lane. Orton was in the bloodiest part of the battle of Lake Erie and when it ended there were only five men left, besides himself on the vessel, who had not been killed or wounded. Tompkinson served on the frigate President under Commodore Rogers. Civil War.- Smithfield furnished two hundred and thirty two soldiers, more than any other township in the county. Of these sixteen were killed in battle, five died in rebel prisons and twenty-five of disease, while twenty-nine more were maimed for life. Spanish-American War.- Two soldiers. World War.- Fifty-one soldiers.
Distinguished Personages.- Smithfield has been productive of many distinguished personages. First among those of early days was Darius Bullock, who practiced medicine, taught school, was lawyer and filled many responsible public positions, ending with President Judge of the county. In California, James Ellery Hale became a Representative, State Senator, Reporter of the Supreme Court and District Judge. John Bascom, eminent in educational affairs, was made president of the Wisconsin State University. Harlan P. Bird began at the foot of the ladder and became a millionaire and State Senator in Wisconsin. Rev. Charles Chapin Tracy was many years a missionary at Marsovian, Turkey, and the founder of Anatolia college. Clayton Hale and Joseph M. Califf after serving in the Civil War entered the regular army and rose to high rank. Benjamin M. Peck served as captain in the Civil War and was Prothonotary and President Judge. Mrs. Nancy L. Bird was a pioneer temperance worker and seventeen years president of the Bradford county W. C. T. U. Mrs. Fanny (Andrus) Bailey was a beloved and inspiring teacher twenty-two terms and forty years a Chautauqua Camp Meeting worker.
Public Officials.- Representatives, Samuel Satterlee, Darius Bullock, John L. Webb, Wm. E. Barton, James H. Webb, Lorin W. Forrest, A. Scott Newman; President Judge, Darius Bullock; Prothonotary, Darius Bullock; Register and Recorder, James H. Webb; County Treasurer, John E. Hale, Joseph G. Waldron; County Commissioners, Darius Bullock, M. F. Ransom, George N. Bird; County Auditors, John W. Hale, Christopher Child, Earl V. Nichols; Jury Commissioner, Jerry Collins; County Surveyor, Thomas A. Seward.
East Smithfield, the only village in the township, is centrally located and has long been the center of business and enterprise. The town derives its name from the fact that before Springfield and Columbia were taken off, the village was in the eastern part of the township. With these changes it leaves the town west of the center.