Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Monroe Township & Borough 1779-1885
Clement F. Heverly 
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
History of Monroe - Table of Contents
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Say Hello to Joyce
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Deborah JUDGE Spencer
Formatted & Published by  Joyce M. Tice 2004
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page

Continued From


acres of Brockaway under his Connecticut title, paying for it in hard cash.
Mr. Alden moved in with his family in the month of December, with horses and sleighs, having two or more. The party crossed the river at Binghamton, where, at that time, there was but one log house. Mr. Alden had built a little log house, where there was a natural opening, about twenty rods below the stone house on the creek, and moved his family into it. "The wolves and bears were thick all around; and Mr. Alden kept everything, which the wild beasts could carry off at night, in pens. One night a bear came and took a pig which had six little ones, out of a pen six feet high, built of boards standing on ends. Mr. Alden heard the dogs bark, and getting up, took his gun and shot the bear, but did not kill him. However, Bruin released the hog, but she was so badly hurt that she died. The wolves would howl all night, and the family, which had left a pleasant home, were horribly lonesome and homesick enough."
Mr. Alden is described as a man six feet two inches in height, well proportioned commanding and of noble bearing. He was firm, benevolent, and possessed of good judgment. Though not given to frivolous things, he was fond of humor. For some time he was captain of militia, and hence was generally addressed as "Captain Alden." He was one of the first and most liberal supporters of the Baptist church in Monroe, and remained a consistent and faithful member until the time of his demise. Mr. Alden was of a distinguished and honorable line of ancestry, being a direct descendant of John Alden of the Mayflower.


Among other things, for a change, Mr. Alden enjoyed a hunt. The following is nicely depicted by his son, the "Elder" : "On a pleasant leisurely afternoon, in the midst of Indian summer, Capt. Alden and Sheffield Wilcox concluded to take a stroll with dog and guns and get out of the noise of the babies and away from the clangor of the looms and the monstrous noise and humming of spinning wheels, and all that, and have a pleasant hour or two by themselves. When about a mile and a-half east of where the borough now is, and while in their low-toned woodsman chats, slowly walking and hunting but little, they were suddenly aroused to an appreciation of their business by old Carlo, the inevitable attache, of a hunter plunging so unceremoniously into the midst of a flock of wild turkeys, giving the sylvan poultry a most wonderful scare. "To trees!" was the order of the day for the turkeys, and "to ambush!" for the men and dog. Carlo and men snugly ensconced in a convenient cluster of bushes, and for a little while all was still. The turkeys being convinced by the prevailing silence that their enemies were gone, began to chirp and call for each other in a language well known to the woodsmen of the times, and not unfrequently taken advantage of. Capt. Alden had acquired a fair knowledge of their vernacular and could imitate their calls so as to almost deceive himself, if possible. He answered them, and they replied and began to assemble in the tree-tops adjacent until two of their number had paid for their credulity with their lives ere they were aware of having been deceived by their language. The rest of their tribe having become more cautious, it was evident


that the sport, there, was up for the time. A fresh chew of tobacco, some chats, a little merriment over their success, Carlo let loose and the march resumed rather in a homeward direction. It was well on toward sundown, and they were on the east end of lands now owned by Austin Fowler, when all of a sudden Carlo gave his unmistakable war-whoop, signifying that he had business with a bear- immediate, imminent, and pressing - and away they went, dog and bear and bear and dog, with all of the noise and bustle that Carlo was accustomed to make on such exciting occasions. The chase led down the hills and down the ravine ( now known as the To-be-han-nak glen ). Mr. Wilcox, leaving the turkeys with the Captain, made good time in the hot pursuit, and was not far in the rear of the dog and game. The game crossed the south branch of the Towanda creek, about in front of where Samuel Lyons' residence now is, and held west for higher grounds. When Captain Alden had got to where Mr. North's factory now stands, two successive reports from Mr. Wilcox's rifle told of an engagement in close action, about one hundred rods south, when he made a halt to audit results. Presently he heard the hunter's welcome note of victory, and knew that the bear had been done brown, if not black. The turkeys, coats and other impediments, all deposited on a rock by the well-known spring near Mr. North's present factory, the Captain starts up to inspect the mighty game. When about half way up the battle ground Mr. Wilcox shouted to him to "bring an axe! bring an axe!" The axe was procured at Mr. Edsall's and, unfortunately, it was nearly as dull as a hoe; at least it was


dull enough to try a woodman's patience severely. The bear had "treed" to escape the noise and confusion that Carlo had created in his rear, and from his perch he had been dislodged by the rifle shots, only to lodge as bears are wont to do, in the bifurcation of the tree. The blood was dropping upon the forest leaves; Carlo was licking it up as his booty in the hunt ; and the bear- well, he was up there yet. It was, and O ! that dull axe. Uncle "Sheff" quoted some of the dead languages as they relieved each other in virtually mauling off the butt of that old pine, with now and then a good hearty laugh at the varied scenes and enterprise of the afternoon's sport. The bear they drew headforemost down to the creek ( now North's pond ) and thence down the creek to Mr. Edsall's spring, the place where the coats and turkeys were left on the rock. Here a light was procured ( pine torch ) and help being at hand, Bruin was made to part with his hide in true hunter's style.
"At about 10 o'clock in the evening the hunters were telling their adventurous incidents of the afternoon to the collected neighbors and friends before their evening fire, while a smile lit up every face, and every boy wished that he was a man, and the ladies were all glad that such men were made."
Timothy Alden was a blacksmith by occupation and worked at his trade for some time after coming into Monroe. In 1827 he built the stone house yet standing on the place where he settled.
He was required to pay for his land the second time and


to do so, as he expressed it, "hauled logs through the mud during the day, and sawed them at night."
Before his advent into Monroe he had married Lois Wilcox, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox, one of the heroic pioneers into Albany.
Timothy Alden was born Feb 22, 1770; died Sept 29, 1859.
"Lois Wilcox" was born Feb 5, 1773; died Jan 10, 1851. Their children were--
Adonijah, born about 1792, married a daughter of Rev. M. M. York, of Wysox, and after a few years went West where he died.
Sophronia, born May 9, 1793, married Jared Woodruff, a pioneer in Monroe, and remained in the township until the time of her death, Apr 8, 1876.
Louisa, born Jan 5, 1797, married Benjamin Coolbaugh, of Monroe, and died in the township July 14, 1846.
Philinda, married Warner Ladd, of Albany, in 1818, lived there for some years, then after her husband's death in 1832, she moved with her family to Monroe where she died. She is buried beside her husband at New Albany.
Permilla, born Dec 18, 1801, married Jacob Arnout and subsequently Charles Homet. Her death occurred June 4, 1876.
Sylvester William, twin of Sevellon W., was born March 19, 1810, married Frances, daughter of Thomas Wilcox, of Milltown, occupied the homestead until 1856, when he went to Wisconsin and there died in 1882.
Sevellon Wells married Mathena, daughter of Dr. Benoni


Mandeville, Nov 16, 1831. When a young man Mr. Alden entered the ministry of the M. E. church. He became one of the most widely known preachers on the circuit, and for a time was Presiding Elder. He was a man of much more than ordinary abilities. He was a great reader and had a most retentive memory. He was a frequent contributor to both the local and foreign press. His communications were full of interest and were a valuable contribution to our local history, for they supplied many forgotten facts and incidents of the early times in this section. He was without doubt better informed about matters pertaining to the early history of this part of the country than man living. In this field of local research he was an industrious gleaner, and it is due to his exertions that much in our early history has been preserved.
Mr. Alden preached what he believed, and believed all that he preached. Until the last his faith and doctrines were the same as when in the active ministry. In the heat of the war he endured some persecution because of his political opinions, but he always felt and remained loyal to the M. E. church, even to the day of his death. While attending to the duties and studies of pastoral work he gained a good acquaintance with Greek and Latin and was at times astonishingly classic, when his associates were least looking for such attainments. Education was with him a necessary and not an ornamental accomplishment. His power to acquire an education was great, and his mental retention scarce ever at fault when in the prime of life. Some arrogant pretenders of Greek and Latin were now and then put in immense


consternation by being squarely contradicted and successfully, by one that they had supposed entirely destitute of those acquirements.
The following biographical memoranda will be found of interest: "Sevellon W. Alden was converted to God in 1837, and joined the M. E. Church the same year. Was licensed to exhort on July 7, 1838, by Rev. P. E. Brown, the preacher in charge for the time being: was re-licensed by the quarterly conference at Towanda, Jonas Dodge, P. E., on Aug 5, 1838: was licensed to preach on the 8th day of June, 1839, by J. H. Wallace, P. E., and the same day recommended to the Genesee annual conference as a suitable person to be received by it for itinerant work; was received on probation in said conference in 1839; was appointed to Sugar Creek circuit with Amos Mansfield and E. H. Cranmer as colleagues, in 1839. On this charge this year there were reported three hundred conversions, and 224 converts joined the M. E. Church. In the regular work, he preached twenty-six times to get round the six weeks' charge. In 1840 he was appointed to Southport circuit, had for a colleague the ever blessed and lamented E. Colson, four and a-half years, and good revivals and great prosperity were the result. Was ordained a Deacon on the 5th day of September, at Dansville, by Bishop Joshua Soule, and by him re-appointed to Southport circuit in 1841. In 1842 he was appointed to Jacksonville station, and had a large revival. In 1843 appointed to Catharine, embracing Catharine, Havana, and Jefferson; had a powerful work of grace this year at Johnson Settlement and Havana. Having been ordained an


Elder by Bishop Waugh, at Yates, N. Y., in 1844, and in 1845 was appointed to the charge of Tyrone circuit. In 1846 appointed to Geneseo and Groveland charge; in 1847-8 Bath station, where a powerful revivals prevailed; in 1848 and '49 to Rochester--- third church; in 1850 and '51 to Penfield, two years; in 1852 and '53, Canandaigua station; thence for four succeeding years Presiding Elder of the Troy District; fourteen churches dedicated during the time; thence one year on the Burlington charge, at the end of which he took a superanuated relation; took a location at Rochester, Sept 7, 1862. He was never on a charge without more or less prosperity and conversion under his ministry."
Mrs. Alden, born Feb 25, 1807, is yet living, though she has been an invalid for some years.
A son, Philo E. Alden, is one of the first civil engineers in the county, later Superintendent of Mines at Bernice, and the present postmaster at Monroeton.
The Northrup Family ---- Nathan Northrup ( mentioned as a merchant ), married Sarah Crawford in about 1754, and removed from Connecticut to Sussex county, N. J., thence to the Wyoming Valley, before the "terrible slaughter" so sadly memorable in history. At the time of the massacre Mr. Northrup was at Forty Fort, but went out, took to the woods, and made his escape. For a time he settled at Nanticoke, on the property which afterwards, it is said, became very valuable. "Owing to the unsettled condition of the land titles, he removed to Bradford county with his family," being one of the pioneers.


"He came up the river in a canoe, bringing such effects as the family possessed." He settled on the flats about a mile below where Athens village now is, whence the family separated.
Richard settled in the Genesee country.
John came to Monroe and settled on the Vangorder property.
Nehemiah ( generally called " Myer " ) remained upon the homestead in Athens, reared a family and died there.
Bijah ( called "Bij" ) for a time lived upon an island in the Susquehanna, above the mouth of the Towanda creek. He was employed by Wm. Means for many years, and was one of the most noted of the pilots on the Susquehanna. After his brothers moved to "Northrup Hollow," he finally joined them, settling upon the Shultz place, where he spent the residue of his days. His wife was Sylvia Parks, of New York. She bore him a large family of children, but they are now widely scattered.
Fames also came to Monroe and lived on the Vangorder property for a number of years.
Anna married David Ross, but never lived in Monroe.
After Mr. Northrup's sons moved to Monroe, he came also, and lived with his son, John, with whom he died Dec 17, 1804, in the 77th year of his age
Mrs. Northrup or "Old Mother Northrup," as she was generally known, outlived her husband by many years. She spent most of her time with her son, Nehemiah, of Athens, but was frequently with her other children in Monroe. When something like a hundred years old she was espoused


by Alexander Howden, a pensioner for services in the Revolutionary war. The venerable pair, whose united ages would have gone back nearly to the landing of the Pilgrim Fathers, took their bridal tour, staffs in hand, to Sheshequin, hoping for a quiet little wedding. But the magistrate before whom they appeared ( Samuel Gore, Esq. ) spoiled the anticipated plan, by informing them that a few witnesses were necessary, whereupon he gathered in enough neighbors to make up a general surprise party, and the marriage ceremony was duly performed. Mr. Howden lived after this a dozen years and died in Athens. She survived until March 5, 1837, when she died among her children in Monroe, at the age of 105 years. Mrs. Northrup was active to the last. When past ninety years of age, she would spin eighty knots of yarn per day, and when a century old she would take the floor and dance and old-fashioned step with the agility of a girl in her teens. When past a hundred years old, she would walk from her son's residence in Athens to the home of her children in Monroe, a distance of twenty-two miles. She maintained the vigor of her mental faculties until death silenced her tongue forever.
The Northrups came to Monroe before the year 1800, and Nehemiah was a property owner in Athens at or before the year 1795.
John and James, like Bijah, were "watermen," and employes of the Meanses for some years before becoming landowners. John, after having lived upon the Vangorder place or an indefinite period, moved to the Woodruff farm, where he remained until 1816, when he moved his family to


"Northrup Hollow" and took up his abode in the "Mathews house," which stood on the identical spot now occupied by Nathan Northrup's residence. He was a stone-cutter by trade, and was induced to the valley of Millstone creek from the fact that the valley and the surrounding mountains abounded in conglomerate rock of the mill-stone kind. Getting out mill-stones became an important industry. A pair of stones brought, when dressed, from $40 to 50, and sold readily to parties from the "Lake country," who would come in and get them. From the large number of those stones, gotten out along the creek, and the valley being the "centre of operations," the stream was called Millstone Run. The Northrups, being well represented in the valley, and the chief men of pioneer enterprise there, their home was dedicated "Northrup Hollow," Mr. Northrup secured Mr. Mathews' hotel property, and purchased lands adjoining, which he cleared up as opportunity would permit. The hotel, being on the line of the old Genesee road, and on the path followed by raftsmen when returning from their trips down the Susquehanna, had a liberal patronage for some years, and not unfrequently, in the spring, was filled to overflowing, as many as fifty stopping in a night for entertainment. The exodus of the Germans from the southern part of the State brought much cash to the proprietor of this "house of entertainment."
After the mill-stone business had ceased, Mr. Northrup gave his attention to lumbering, and erected a mill on his place in 1822, which he operated till the close of his life. He was a good shot and killed many bear, deer and other


game, yet he never wasted his time in the woods. Once, as Mr. Northrup and his father were getting out mill-stones on the huckleberry mountain, there came up a terrible rain storm, which soon drove them from their cabin to the rocks, where they found better protection. Their dog, which had accompanied them, upon taking new quarters immediately began investigating the premises, and was not long in making a discovery in a cavern not far from them. His lively barking soon brought the tenant out and to the view of the new visitors. Rushing by her company without any apologies, the mistress of the rocks took to a tree not far off. The dog kept the panther at bay, until Mr. Northrup could venture out and quiet matters with his rifle.
John Northrup was united in marriage with Polly, daughter of Henry Tallady, of Wysox, formerly of Catskill, N. Y. Mr. Northrup died in 1850, at the age of 88 years, and his wife subsequently, aged about 80 years.
Their children were:
Henry, born June 17, 1801;
Nathan, born Jan 23, 1803;
Polly ( Mrs. Moratt Merithew ), born Nov 14, 1805;
Stephen, born Sept 1, 1806;
John, born March 19, 1810;
Weltha ( Mrs. John Cox ), born Jan 1, 1813.
Of the family, Henry, Nathan and John are living, and within a half-mile of each other, in the quiet and picturesque little valley where their father brought them nearly seventy years ago. They have been very industrious, hard-working men and retain their mental and physical vigor to a


remarkable degree. Within three weeks of this writing, Henry has dug a cellar under his house, walled it up ( many of the stones weighing from 100 to 200 lbs ), and wheeled the stone and dirt excavated, several rods distant. Nathan, two years younger, will shoulder his stone-dressing tools and walk off to his work, like a man in his prime, and do a neat job and day's work, which but few men can excel. He is a fair-sized man while his brothers are more spare, and in their best, would tip the beam at about 140 lbs. avoirdupois.
Nathan and his cousin, William, have been "mighty hunters," and some of their daring adventures and skill with the rifle will soon be in order.
The Northrups are noted for their generous hospitality and true kindness of heart-- noble, and worth more than all the superficial polish that can be acquired by a selfish nature. Their opportunities in obtaining an education were very limited, yet their language is remarkably fluent, and correct.
James Northrup was a millwright and carpenter by occupation. While living in Monroe he operated Means' sawmill, and in about 1816 built the grist-mill on the same property. He was one of the carpenters upon the old Court House. In May, 1821, he moved to Northrup Hollow and settled on the "Western place." However, Jeremiah Ray had previously squatted upon the property and erected the skeleton of a house. In 1822, Mr. Northrup built the sawmill for his brother, John. He was "a good waterman." and it is said that he and his brothers, John, Nehemiah and Bijah, took, for Wm. Means, the first ark-load of wheat that ever passed down the Susquehanna. His demise occurred


in 1824, at the age of 53 years. He was twice married, his first wife being Easter Hollis, of near Buffalo, N. Y., who bore him--
Sally, who married Gates Van Ross, of Albany, N. Y.;
Easter, who married Jacob Ringer, a waterman on the Susquehanna;
Ira, who resides in the West;
His second wife was Althea Tallady, sister of Mrs. John Northrup, unto whom was born--
Nancy, who married Samuel Cranmer, of Monroe;
William, born Dec 14, 1809, an active citizen of the town for his years;
James, never married; died in Monroe;
Benjamin, a resident of Towanda;
Cemantha, married Wm. Rockwell, of Franklin;
Nathan, died when a young man.
Mrs. Northrup died in 1868-69, at the age of ninety-four years, retaining her faculties to a remarkable degree to the very last.
William, the "Nimrod of modern times." is as straight and agile as most men of fifty. In compliment of his activity, he remarked--- " I can do as much as any of them yet," and we do not doubt the assertion. He is a man of average stature, great nerve, and possessed of an excellent memory. He says: " I never feared the game of the woods, and have killed Bruin in his den and out of it." In 1856 he was the hero of an exploit, that for cool courage was quite a match for Putnam's famous feat of entering the wolf's den, so celebrated in story. A party of thirteen, including Wells


Wilcox, Nathan and William Northrup-- the "big hunters" of those days--arranged for a bear hunt. A division of the party soon struck Bruin's track, and after having followed him a long distance, he finally took refuge in his den, nearly sixty feet under the rocks. The dogs were sent in to determine his location and test the ground. He growled like a lion, almost, upon being disturbed, and the canines kept their distance. At last the fiery eyeballs of the savage creature could be dimly seen in the distance, and Wells and William aimed their pieces at the glistening objects. After two or three shots apiece, the dogs were sent in and gave encouragements that the balls had taken effect. Yet all was very uncertain, and the beast might only be wounded, and thus made far more desperate. But at last it was concluded that some one should venture into the cave. The opening was narrow, and upon the call for volunteers, several would go in but "their bodies were too large, or their shoulders too broad." At last the feat devolved upon "William," who was not the smallest man, but the one of most daring. With rifle in hand he crawled in and crept along carefully, not knowing what moment he would receive a stroke from Bruin's powerful paw. But fortunately at the end of the cavern he found the beast dead, a ball having penetrated its brain through the eye. The dog-chains were linked together, and Mr. Northrup having fastened them to the animal's jaw it was drawn out. The bear weighed over 400 pounds, and its flesh was equal to the juiciest and tenderest of pig pork.
---- On one New Year's day Mr. Northrup, his brother


Benjamin, and cousin, Nathan, followed a bear to his den in the rocks. The cavern was almost perpendicular, at first, for several feet, then turned nearly at right angles. The passage was narrow and difficult to make a retreat in, so "Ben" and Nathan took the hero by the heels to aid him in his backward movement, if necessary. Reaching the turn in the cavern, which was too narrow for his body to pass through, by means of a short pole he determined the beast's location. Getting his gun nearly parallel with the pole, he fired and killed the animal. By means of a stick with a hook on one end, he succeeded in drawing the bear out.
William has killed as many as fifty bear, a large number of elk, and hundreds of deer. He has killed as many as twenty-one deer in a week, and not unfrequently two at a shot. One of his most notable shots was in killing two deer, and wounding a third, which was also captured. His largest bear weighed between four and five hundred pounds, and measured nine feet from the end of its nose to the extremity of its hind leg. The greatest number of deer which he ever killed in a day was five, and the greatest number of elk, three.
One night as William was watching a "deer lick" from a platform in a convenient tree, some beast of prey drove away the game several times, but disappeared before morning. The next night William and John Northrup both watched the same spot. As dawn was approaching, they could see some animal creeping along the logs about thirty rods away. William fired and killed it. Upon examination it proved to be some animal, the like of which they had


never seen. It was tawny red in color, shorter in the body than a panther and with longer legs and a shorter tail. The concluded it must have been the puma, or American lion, which is seldom found east of the Mississippi.
----- On an August afternoon, many years ago, William and Nathan were watching a "deer lick", when the latter, seeing a large buck advancing, fired at it. The animal dropped and he supposed it dead. But as he was about to use his hunting knife, the animal galvanized into life and sprang to his feet. William grabbed the buck by the horns, but had no sooner than done so, when the animal's antlers caught his tough doe-skin pants and almost completely undressed him. However, he hung on, and was carried several rods at a rapid rate, before the frightened animal could dislodge him and make its escape. He frequently clinched a deer and generally got his game. More than once, like Nathan, he has been chased by a bear, and only escaped by taking to his heels. In all of his encounters and adventures, he has escaped uninjured. Nathan's best record was seven deer in a day, five of which were shot without moving out of his tracks, and in another, five elk, all being killed without changing his position.
--- As a party was engaged many years ago in peeling bark for Andrew Irvine's tannery, their dogs treed a "cub" nearly a year old. It was determined that young Bruin should be taken alive. A program was arranged accordingly. The men were to form in a circle around the tree, with Nathan Northrup and the dogs in the middle, while William Northrup was to climb the chestnut and shake the


cub off. William, performing his part successfully, the moment the cub struck the ground Nathan seized it by the back of the neck, and though it made a desperate struggle and scratched severely, he held the young brute till it had been securely tied.
--- One day during the huckleberry season, Henry Northrup, his wife and little boy started to the mountain to procure some of its fruit. His dogs came upon and old bear and her four cubs, which treed, while the mother remained at the bottom of the tree to protect her family. Mr. Northrup gave the old bear the first shot, but only wounding her, she escaped. With the four remaining charges he succeeded in killing two of the cubs and wounding the other two. Returning for more ammunition, he easily captured the balance of the quartette.
--- Henry and Nathan Northrup were up the creek one day with their father, in search of the proper material for a mill-stone. They found a bear under the rocks and killed it with a grub-hoe, their only weapon.
--- Early one morning in the fall of 1818, Henry Northrup saw a large panther chase two deer into the field on the hillside back of his father's house. He at first thought the trio were three deer, and informed his father and Frederick Kissell, who took their guns and tried for a shot. The deer discovering their move, jumped the fence enclosing the field, slowly pursued by an enormous panther. The dogs took after "the terror of the Northern woods," and soon ran him up a tree. Kissell got the first chance, and after his trusty rifle had spoke, the panther had passed to the Indian's


mysterious hereafter. The animal was found to measure eleven and one-half feet from tip to tip, and was perhaps the largest panther ever killed in Bradford county.
William Northrup had driven into the woods with an ox-sled to draw out some shingles, when he found a large catamount fast in a trap. Not having any fire-arms with him he undertook to despatch the savage brute with his heavy ox-whip. The infuriated creature sprang at its assailant; and with the heavy trap fast to one of its hind legs, succeeded in inflicting some unpleasant scratches on William's face. Seizing a sled-stake, he dealt several lusty blows before he could deaden the furious beast. There are several varieties of wildcats, and the largest and fiercest of the species are formidable antagonists in a hand-to-hand conflict. They fight with the ferocity of a tiger, and, with a diabolical cunning, aim at the face of an enemy.
--- Henry Northrup, coming home from Muncy on foot, saw where something had been killing sheep. His two dogs soon treed an enormous catamount. Approaching the spot, and having no other weapon he cast a stone at the creature. With a scream of rage, the savage brute sprang for his face. He met it with a kick in the open mouth, which gave it a set-back. The struggle that ensued was a lively one, but finally resulted in the death of the catamount, which showed fight till the very last.
The Northrups practiced "still-hunting" only, as they killed deer and other game for food, and not for mere wanton sport. Their usual method was to build a bough-house near a "deer lick," and when the animal came to take its


rations of salt, of which it is passionately fond, it could be shot from the ambush. Sometimes, however, they would build a scaffolding in a convenient tree, near the natural or artificial lick, and there await their opportunity. Rattlesnakes were without number, and it was not an uncommon thing to run on a den of them. The Northrups have killed thousands of these reptiles, and only two years since. William, finding a den, succeeded in killing sixty-five, alone.
The Salisburys---- Many years before the Revolutionary War, Henry Salisbury, a native of London, England, was a student at Edinburgh, Scotland. While there he fell in love with Miss Elizabeth Simpson, a young Scotch lady of wealth and refinement. Their feelings on this tender subject were mutual and they became engaged.
The young lady's parents interposing, for some unknown reason the marriage was stopped, and she taken to America with her father and mother.
Mr. Simpson settled at or near Boston, and though his daughter ( the only child ) lived a lady, she was not the same interesting child to him that she was before he took her from her fiance. Her life was passing in melancholy, and her health was giving way. One day as she was feeling badly, Mr. Simpson invited her and Mrs. Simpson to walk with him down to the wharf to see the ships come in, thinking that the exercise and various sights would please and benefit her. To her great joy the first person to disembark was Henry Salisbury, and it would be needless to say that there was a happy meeting. The father and mother at once consented to the marriage, after which Mr. Salisbury took