Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Monroe Township & Borough 1779-1885
Clement F. Heverly
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
||Do You Know that you can search just these
Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search
engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
up his residence near Boston, lived and reared a family. A son, Henry, married
Miss Catharine, daughter of George Head, of Nine Partners, N. Y., and settled at
Kinderhook. While residing here his children attended the same school with
Martin Van Buren.
Mr. Salisbury was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and lost his right arm,
with a wound in his left hand, at the surrender of Cornwallis. After the war, he
was elected sheriff of Columbia county. Having made a trip to the new country to
the West, with his brothers-in-law, Benjamin and Alexander Head, he purchased
1000 acres of land, put up a double log house, two and one-half stories high,
then returned and sold his property at Kinderhook, and started West with his
family, as he expressed it--- "to better the condition of his children." He
migrated when his son Henry was seventeen years old which would make his advent
into Monroe in the year 1797. His purchase included the land now held by the
Coles, and his house, the largest in the neighborhood, stood near the public
road between Samuel Cole's present residence and the watering-trough. Mr.
Salisbury is described as "a handsome old gentleman of a sunny disposition, with
a fondness for little folks, and a faithful and consistent Methodist." Mrs.
Salisbury was also a member of the Methodist church. They died at the homestead
in Monroe, and are buried at Cole's, the former living to be over 80 years of
age. Their children were---
George, who died before his people migrated from the "Empire State";
Abigail, who married John Brown, of Kinderhook, and resided there;
Rhoda, who married Enos Marshall, of Columbia county, N. Y.;
Elizabeth, who married Job Irish, moved to Bradford county, and died in
Smithfield. Irish was a man of natural talents, and became quite noted as a
Catharine, married Luther Hinman, and died in the West;
Amy, married Rev. Elisha Cole, and died in Monroe;
Nancy, married Elisha Wythe, of Towanda;
Henry, married Miss Catharine, daughter of Maj. James Swartwout, of Clinton,
Dutchess Co., N. Y., and for several years resided upon the ancestral estate of
Monroeton, but finally removed to "Hollon Hill," where he died Dec 27, 1845,
aged 65 years, 9 months, and 21 days.
Mrs. Salisbury died May 5, 1832, aged 56 years.
Unto Henry and Catharine Salisbury were born:
Hannah, who married John Simpson, of Mauch Chunk, Pa.;
Catharine, married Joseph Lippencott ( deceased ), a native of Philadelphia, and
for many years an extensive coal dealer at Mauch Chunk; she now resides with a
daughter at Joliet, Illinois;
Henry S., generally known as "Squire Salisbury," married Elizabeth Lippencott,
of Mauch Chunk, and for many years occupied the "Decker place," where he died;
Wealthy M., married David Ridgeway ( deceased ), and resides upon the Ridgeway
estate in Monroe;
Genette, married Benjamin Coolbaugh, of Monroe;
Delanson C., married Lizzie Piollet, of Wysox, and is now a resident of the
Orlando N., married Sophia Lyon, of Monroe, and resides in Clinton county, Pa.;
Jerome S., married Helen Corey, of Kingston, Pa., and died in Monroe. For a
number of years he was proprietor of "Salisbury's Mills."
The last named will long be remembered as three of Monroe's most entertaining
young men of "years ago." Their songs and stories were listened to by admiring
crowds, and in the political campaigns their melodious voices thrilled the
people and took them back to "When Old Monroe was Young."
* When Old Monroe was young, the people used to say,
That grog was indispensable in harvest and in hay;
And so with an unsparing hand, the whisky it was flung,
And drunkards by the score were made, when Old Monroe was young.
When Old Monroe was young, and Uncle Elisha preached,
The top notch of intemperance by many a one was reached;
And dark the cloud of sorrow o'er many dwellings hung
With deep disgrace and poverty, when Old Monroe was young.
* In the autumn of 1843, Rev. Elisha Cole announced that he would lecture upon
temperance, on a certain evening, in the M. E. church at Monroeton. He had
invited Jewell Warford, George Tracy and A. L. Cranmer to be present and
paticipate in the exercises. Going to the store of D. C. & O. N. Salisbury, he
requested them to come and sing "Sparkling and Bright," the most popular
temperance song at that time. They thought they would give the people something
new, and accordingly sat down and composed the above before their uncle left the
house, and sang it to him. The exercises that evening were opened with "When Old
Monroe was Young," and the young men were encored again and again, so that the
lecture was very short, and very much to the discomfort of Mr. Cole. The
"twins," as they were commonly called, sang the song to the tune of "When this
Old Hat was New," repeating the last line.
When Old Monroe was young, and Rockwell kept the jail,
And John and Harmon, too, were there, in spite of bond or bail;
They cleared the land about the house, and also on the hill,
For grog and brandy then were free--- the county paid the bill.
When Old Monroe was young, "Squire Brown, he had a still,
And Alden, too, was not behind: he also had a mill;
Old Hess, he 'tended Alden's mill, and Rowley 'tended Brown's,
And various other sights were seen--- Old Bristol with his hounds.
When Old Monroe was young, Fowler's still-house was in prime,
And fights and frolics, frequently, were had in olden time;
Like short-tailed bulls in fly-time, they at each other sprung,
And many a battle there was fought, when Old Monroe was young.
When Old Monroe was older still, Uncle A., he came to town,
His shop exceeded all the rest, like Rockwell's and 'Squire Brown's;
The loafers all assembled then upon the Sabbath day,
And drank the rot to please themselves, and so did Uncle A.
When Old Monroe was older still, Capt. Alden kept the gate,
And all who refused to pay, Sevellon knocked them straight
But now he 'tends another gate, as I will shortly tell,
To guide the sinners on the road to shun the gate of hell.
When Old Monroe was older still, Jo Johnson was the man
Who dared to organize a house upon a decent plan;
He kicked the loafers out of doors with all their drunken brawl,
And strangers now can find repose whene'er they choose to call.
William Dougherty, an Irishman, came to Monroe in about 1800 from Northumberland
county, Pa., and settled at Greenwood. He kept a house of entertainment, and his
"log tavern" stood nearly on the same ground as now occupied by the Greenwood
hotel. His place was known as "Dorety's tavern." As early as 1808, or sooner, he
and the Schraders built a saw-mill on the present site of Slotery's mill.
Dougherty sold his property, after a few years, to Jacob Bowman, who in turn
sold to Daniel Gilbert. James, a brother of Mr. Dougherty, lived on the George
John Schrader came to Greenwood and settled, where the tannery now is, soon
after Dougherty ( perhaps as early as 1801-2 ). He was a Hessian soldier and was
captured with others at the battle of Trenton. Soon afterwards, he espoused the
American cause and joined Washington's army. At the battle of Brandywine he
fought with the noble PULASKI and came near being captured. Three times the
"Count" and his legion of horsemen charged the British center before it gave
way. Schrader and some thirty others broke through, but the line was immediately
closed, thus cutting off the brave thirty from the rest of their troop. Schrader
must get out of that or be hung for deserting the British cause. The whole
thirty wheeled upon the back of the newly formed line, with hacks and hewings
from saber and cutlass. Pulaski, determined to save his men, charged and
re-charged and finally rescued Schrader and fifteen of his comrades. However,
before the rescue, a red-coat stepped up to Schrader and thrust his bayonet into
his hip, and
in a few minutes the blood was running over the top of his boot. Mr. Schrader
once being asked what he then did, reiterated-- "O, mine gut, sir, you eats no
more breat in Englant. Mine saber sphlit him to his shoulders. I made two men of
him, but they were both deat men." After the war it appears that he settled at
Hagerstown, Md., where he married, thence found his way into Northumberland
county, Pa., whence he migrated to Bradford county. From the fact of his having
settled near the creek which joins the main stream at Greenwood, it was called
the "Schrader Branch." After some years, Mr. Schrader was dispossessed of his
land, and thereafter resided in different parts of the town, till the time of
his death at a good old age. He was of much use to his neighbors, in fulling
cloth for them. His children were---
John, who died in Monroe;
Harmon, who married Rebecca Neeley, occupied the Neeley estate for some years,
and also died in Monroe;
Katie, who married a Brown and died at Browntown, Bradford county;
Betsy; Polly; Frederick; Samuel.
John Wagner, of Northumberland, Pa., located at Weston Station, on the "Weston
place, " at about the same time that Schrader and others came in, but left the
township before 1816. When the "old turnpike" was put through he built the
"Wagner bridge" over the stream on which Kipp and Kizer's mills are located, and
named after him--- the "Wagner branch" of Millstone Run.
John and Benjamin Head ( brothers ) were among the first settlers at Greenwood.
John settled the place now
occupied by Mr. Andrus, and set out the orchard yet bearing fruit on that farm.
It is stated that Benjamin was killed by lightning, and that John was also once
struck by this electric fluid. His garments were spangled with polished steel
buttons, every one of which were cut off; the current then passed down his legs,
and out the heels of his shoes. He was knocked down by the shock, but received
no serious injury.
Daniel Heverly, a native of Lehigh county, Pa., came to Greenwood in 1806, and
remained there until 1810, when he and his sons moved into Overton, being the
first settlers there.
James Lewis came to Monroe prior to 1806, and settled the Shultz place. When a
boy twelve years of age he lived with his parents upon a farm within seven miles
of Sunbury, Pa. At the time of the French and Indian war, his father moved the
family to Sunbury for safety. He and his sons frequently took their chances by
going to the farm and working. One night while there they were attacked by a
band of Indians, and the father, standing near the port-hole, was shot. James
and his brother fled from the house by climbing out of a window. The former took
to the woods and was captured, while the latter, taking the main road, reached
Sunbury in safety. The Indians on their raid took several prisoners, which they
disposed of according to their customs of warfare, save young Lewis and a young
man named Wm. Thomas, who were spared. Young Lewis because he was old enough to
travel with the captors, and yet so young as not to endanger or injure them.
Thomas was reserved to
be given to an old squaw to replace a son of hers that had been slain in battle.
The prisoners were kindly cared for on their march in captivity, but when young
Thomas was adopted by his new mother, she went through a most ceremonious
routine. He had been in high spirits during the most of his captivity, but when
his new mother stripped him and then greased him all over, following that
application with Indian paint and feathers, wampum and blankets, the Indian
dance and song, and the full ceremony of making an Indian of him, the young man
broke down and wept like a child. He felt as if he could not be an Indian and
wear all this attire. The captives were taken to Canada, where after three years
they were released, Thomas becoming a white man again and Lewis returning to his
native place. He had changed so much that Mrs. Lewis could hardly believe him to
be her son. "An incident occurred while he was in captivity that cost him some
toil and painstaking in after years, without his realizing the object of his
labor. The whole party of Indians that were out on a marauding excursion,
numbered from thirty to thirty-five warriors, and was occasionally divided into
squads for the greater facilitating of plunder, and all the objects of their
raid. One party of thirteen Indians, on their march north, evidently came up the
Loyal Sock, and then crossed the "divide" over to the head waters of the
Schrader branch, and then traveled down that stream; while the other party of
about twenty ascended the Lycoming creek, and then down the Towanda to its
mouth, where they crossed the river. Each party was provided with a large bell
of wrought iron, which could be used in
keeping the party together, or in assembling them, if scattered by a hunt or
accident. They evidently had arranged to meet somewhere not far north and east
of Towanda. The party with which Mr. Lewis was kept, waited at the place
appointed ( perhaps it was on the Abner Hinman farm, as that was the usual
camping-ground for the Red men ) for some days, with considerable anxiety,
without any tidings of the missing division-- not even the "tunk" of the
notifying bell. When many days had elapsed a solitary Indian came into camp,
diseased and nearly dead of small pox, of which all the party save himself had
died, at their last halting place. He told his red brothers in the presence of
Mr. Lewis, where the camp of death was made, where the thirteen rifles and all
the plunder, the gold and silver and the "big bell" were hid; where the two
trees came together; on what stream, and all about it, and then died within two
hours after his arrival in camp.
Some person or family which they had visited, paid them severely for their pains
by giving them all the small pox. Mr. Lewis, in his close scrutiny of all that
was passing, marked well the place of deposit described by the dying man, and
treasured it up in his mind for after years. Now we have a clue to the
inducements that moved Mr. Lewis to settle on the Schrader branch of the Towanda
creek. From the description which he received by the sick Indian, he was firm in
the opinion the treasures and spoils were hid on that branch, not far from the
present Greenwood. When age and infirmity were upon him, Mr. Lewis habitually
spent about two days out of a week up the branch searching for
the articles there concealed by the Indians. But he died without finding the
object of his search. In about 1840 when Gen. Henry Naglee, who was employed by
the Barclay company in making a survey of the line of their projected railroad,
was encamped near Lamoka, his cook in taking a stroll found the long-lost "big
bell." But the party knowing nothing of the history of the bell, of course did
not search for the plunder. The exact spot of the finding of the bell has not
since been identified, and consequently the lost treasures have not been
Mr. Lewis came to the county at an early day, at first setling in Wysox, where
he owned land on the Little Wysox, and built what were afterwards known as
Hinman's mills. For a time he was in partnership with John Hinman, but sold his
interest to him in 1793, and moved to Towanda. After a few years' residence here
he moved to the mouth of the Towanda creek and built a double saw-mill, where
the grist-mill now is at Hale's, whence he moved into Monroe. After some years
upon the Shultz place, Mr. Lewis moved to Greenwood where he died prior to 1830,
aged about 80 years. He was a citizen much esteemed. He had a family of four
sons and two daughters. Timothy H. and Benjamin only were residents of the
county. Timothy lived at Greenwood the greater part of his life, and kept a
hotel, which was carried away by the great flood of 1850. He died in 1871, at
the age of 73 years, and is buried at Franklin. His children are----
* The story of "the bell " in compiled from Elder Alden's papers, he having
known Mr. Lewis well.
James W., merchant at Greenwood ;
William S., a prominent physician at Canton ;
Benjamin L., butcher at Foot-of-Plane ;
Mary D., a resident of Detroit, Mich.
Amos Vincent Mathews was a settler in Monroe on or before 1808. He came up from
Northumberland county, and for a short time, it is said, lived in Overton on the
Paine place, on the line of the "old Muncy road," as it was sometimes called. He
made some improvements, then moved into Monroe, locating on Millstone Run, where
Hawes' mill now is. Here he built a log house and furnished accommodations for
raftsmen. He also had a blacksmith shop and supplied the people's wants in the
line of traps and bells, and in sharpening their tools. He is remembered as a
real genius, excelling as a bell-maker, and a man of considerable talent, being
of much service to the early settlers.
In 1812 he erected a large cottage-roofed building which he opened as a hotel
the same year, the sign being ornamented with masonic emblems. James Northrup
was the architect, although the building, which was started on a grand plan, was
never completed. Mr. Mathews brought in some fruit trees from Muncy and set them
out ( the first in the valley ), some of which are yet still standing and
bearing fruit. His house was a favorite stopping-place with raftsmen and proved
quite a lucrative business for him. In 1816 he sold his property to John
Northrup and moved to West Virginia.
Reed Brockaway was an inhabitant of the township for a short time, as early as
1800. He was a man of ability. The Luzerne Federalist of July, 1801, says : "The
Fourth of July
was celebrated at Wysox by a numerous and respectable company. Wm. Means
provided an entertainment, the style and elegance of which reflected great
credit on his taste and industry. An oration was delivered by Reed Brockaway.
After dinner a number of appropriate toasts were drank."
Abner C. Rockwell, a native of East Windsor, Conn., born May 4, 1793, migrated
to Monroe not far from the year 1800. He had left his native State in company
with two brothers and a sister. The brothers located in Crawford county, and he
and his sister, "Sally," afterwards the wife of Jacob Bowman, 2d, came in to
Bradford county and settled in the township. Mr. Rockwell came from the same
locality as the Fowlers, who, undoubtedly, were the means of inducing him
hither. He took up his abode in a log house at the east end of the Monroeton
bridge, on the very same ground as now occupied by the Rockwell mansion. For a
few years he gave attention to the improvement of his land. Upon the
organization of the county in 1812, he took an active part in public matters,
and was made the first Sheriff of Bradford county. He built a log addition to
his house, which during his term of office was used as "a coop" for criminals,
and is frequently adverted to as the "old log jail." After three years Mr.
Rockwell again returned to farming, and gave attention to public improvements.
He built the original bridge spanning the South Branch at Monroeton at the time
of the making of the turnpike. He erected a framed house and opened it as a
hotel, and the building being the largest and best in the town was dedicated the
"Beauty of Monroe." Just when the sign
was raised is not known, but probably in about 1824. On one side of it was
painted the head and shoulders of General Lafayette, the other being ornamented
with masonic emblems. In connection with his hotel business, Mr. Rockwell had a
distillery, and conducted both for some years. The from part of the "Rockwell
hotel" is yet standing and forms the main body of widow Rockwell's residence.
Mr. Rockwell was a public spirited man, and donated the ground at Monroeton for
school and church purposes. He was a man of considerable ability, sterling
integrity, generous and popular, as may be seen from the fact that he was one of
the first honored, and entrusted with public office. After having located in
Monroe, before becoming Sheriff, he was united in wedlock with Miss Betsy,
daughter of Gordon Fowler. Their children were---
Maria, who married Joseph Montanye, of Towanda ;
Zera, who was a farmer in Monroe ;
James Lawrence, born Feb 15, 1814 ; was associated with Wm. H. H. Brown in the
mercantile business at Monroeton for about twenty years. After the dissolution
of the firm, he purchased Park's mills, now Brockwell Bridge mills, which he
operated until the time of his death--Nov 21, 1875. He also occupied the
ancestral estate, which is now held by his widow and sons :
William A., who was a resident and merchant of Towanda for a number of years.
Rolland R., who is at present a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Abner Rockwell's death occurred July 29, 1836, and his remains are sepulchred at
Cole's, with his compeers of early days.
The Hinman Family---- This family can trace its history back fully two
centuries, and among the descendants in Monroe may be found a fac-simile of the
armorial ensign of one of the Hinman ancestors who was a body-guard to Cromwell.
From this time the descendants were scattered over different parts of the globe.
John Hinman, the first of the name as connected with the history of the county,
was born at Stratford, Fairfield Co., Conn., Feb 5, 1748. After the
Revolutionary war, he migrated with his family from Woodbury, to Wysox, Bradford
county, and was among the first of the pioneers there. Somewhere between 1790
and 1800 he and James Lewis built the first grist-mill, it is said, this side of
Wilkes-Barre. Mr. Hinman remained a resident of Wysox up to the time of his
death in about 1834, when at the age of four score and six years, he made a trip
on horseback to his daughter's in the Genesee country, and died, suddenly, soon
after reaching her. His son, Abner C., afterwards occupied his estate.
Hannah Mallory, the wife of John Hinman, was born May 15, 1751, and died March
Their children were---
Lorena ( Mrs. Curtiss ), Sally ( Mrs. Hart ), Eunice ( Mrs. Talmage,
subsequently Mrs. King ), Martha ( Mrs. Luman Stanley ), Jemima ( Mrs. Mosier ),
John B., Charlotte ( Mrs. Sheffield Wilcox ), Abner C., Harriet ( Mrs. Amos York
), James H., Walker M.
John Burrows Hinman, born Nov 7, 1780, while yet in his teens, made the trip
West with his father. They had only a single horse, and each took his turn in
picked out a location they returned for the family. In the course of time Mr.
Hinman became acquainted with Miss Desire, daughter of Sheffield Wilcox, whom he
married July 4, 1804. Upon the settlement of Albany Mr. Hinman took up lands
adjoining his brother-in-law, and moved into that township with the first
settlers. Here he lived for a few years only, then moved into Monroe, and was
residing at Fowlertown in 1809, when Eunice ( Widow Young ) was born. He was
then a resident of Wysox for a short time prior to 1815, in which year he
purchased the Noadiah Cranmer property and became a permanent citizen of the
township. At first he took up his abode in the little log house which had been
occupied by Mr. Cranmer, then built a framed house, yet standing back of the
foundry and occupied by Mrs. Owen. And though his home was in the heart of what
is now Monroeton, Mrs. Young says: "I can remember seeing bears, wolves and deer
in numbers, crossing the field in front of our house. Everything around was wild
and dreary enough." Mr. Hinman gave his life to the environment and cultivation
of his farm. He was a model husbandman, and kept everything about his barns and
place neat and systematic. He was a dilligent, intelligent, public-spirited
citizen and a Christian gentleman. For many years he was a member of the
Presbyterian church, and was one of the first to subscribe, and a most zealous
worker in securing funds for the erection of the church at Monroeton. He held
many local offices of public trust and was always found careful, fair, and of
unquestioned integrity. He was known as "Deacon"
Hinman. His useful life was closed March 16, 1865. Mrs. Hinman, born Dec 1,
1787, died April 7, 1844.
Unto John B. and Desire Hinman were born---
Minerva M., born July 21, 1805, married Eldrad C. Camp, moved West and died ;
Abner Curtis, born April 11, 1807, resides in Indiana ;
Eunice E., born April 24, 1809, married Edward F. Young and resides in Monroeton
Sheffield Stanley, born June 18, 1811, married Weltha Langdon, and was one of
the earliest and most successful business men of Monroe. In his business years
he was ever industrious and frugal, and thereby acquired a handsome little
fortune. "He was a liberal contributor to the churches and every public
enterprise that helped to build up the place. He was benevolent and ever ready
to assist the poor and needy." His death occurred May 22, 1881.
Celestia R. born Sept 26, 1813, married John Hanson and resides in Monroeton.
John Burrows Mallory, born Feb 21, 1816, married Frances M. Dudley ; was for
many years one of the most prominent men of Monroeton. In business he was
careful and successful. As a citizen he was public-spirited, a liberal
contributor to the Presbyterian church, and did much for the upbuilding of the
community. In 1855 he was elected Justice of the Peace and held the office to
the day of his death ( July 22, 1885 ), with the exception of a few month. "In
the discharge of his official duties he kept in mind the great object of his
office--peace." He was a member of the Masonic order for nearly forty years. His
of him at the time of his death: "Surely we can say, ' a good man has fallen.' "
Harriet J., born June 29, 1818, married Dr. Emerson Shattuck, and resides at
Hornellsville, N. Y. ;
Lorena C., born March 13, 1823, married Joseph B. Smith, of Monroe; died July 9,
Catharine M., born Oct 16, 1825, married James H. Phinney, of Towanda ;
Mary D., born Sept 14, 1828, married Dr. D. N. Newton, of Towanda.
Rev. Elisha Cole, born Aug 15, 1769, came to Monroe in about 1810-11 . He was a
son of Samuel Cole, who came from the East to Macedonia in about 1775. His
possission in Macedonia covered all the plain from the mountain to the river. On
the breaking out of hostilities, Mr. Cole loaded his goods in canoes and passed
down the river to Forty Fort for safety. He was present at the time of the
battle; but did not go out of the fort. A son, Samuel, and son-in-law
participated in the battle and were slain. After the "massacre" the family
returned to Connecticut and remained until after the war, then came back and
occupied their former possessions. Elisha, who was a tanner and currier by trade
and also shoemaker, settled the place now owned by Col. E. J. Ayers. After
returning to the Susquehanna he was converted, and identified himself with the
M. E. church. On May 4, 1794, he was licensed to exhort by Valentine Cook ; and
May 5, 1798, he was licensed to preach by Thomas Ware, the presiding elder. He
was ordained deacon by Bishop Whatcoat, Sept 19, 1802 ; ordained elder
by Bishop Hedding, Aug 21, 1824. June 27, 1798, Mr. Cole was united in marriage
with Miss Amy, daughter of Henry Salisbury, of Monroe. Prior to this time he had
been a "circuit rider," but was a local preacher thereafter. On Sundays he would
go many miles to talk to the people and form classes, when the settlements were
yet in their infancy, and hence throughout the county is known as the pioneer
preacher, and Methodism owes more to him for its establishment and growth in
Bradford county, than to any other man.
After coming to the Salisbury place in Monroe, Mr. Cole's house was the
preaching place for years, as also the place for the quarterly meetings with all
of their concomitants. Here was the nucleus of Methodism in all of this part of
the country. Father Cole's large log house and capacious log barn, with a large
farm, and large fields of corn, associated with his large heart, soon was found
to be a comfortable place for the early itinerant and a Methodist home. In the
days of those grand old quarterly meetings, the people would come from twenty
miles around, and fully two hundred voices would sing to the tune of
"All hail the power of Jesus' name !
Let angels prostrate fall."
Father Cole was a man of close analytical powers of mind, and needed only the
educational advantages of the present day to have qualified him for the most
important positions of the church. "For a number of years Father Cole was the
chief preacher on all the Tioga charge and in regions beyond. At one place, it
is said that he preached a
characteristic discourse from 'the cloud coming up from the sea the bigness of a
man's hand.' In
treating his subject he said, ' he should, first, philosophize it; second,
analogize it; and third, theologize it.' It was a singular sermon, but quite
ingenious and not without practical effect," Mr. Cole was called from far and
near to preach funeral sermons--- when these sad events transpired in the new
settlements. As the country developed, the ministry grew, thus relieving him so
that he could give more attention to his farm, upon which he spent his closing
days. His life was a long and useful one. May his deeds and virtues live on,
down the ages! The light of his earthly existence went out forever, April 6,
"Amy Salisbury" was born March 27, 1777 ; died April 26, 1851.
Unto Elisha and Amy Cole were born---
Dollie, April 22, 1799 ; married Frederick Fisher ; died May 16, 1865.
Catharine, May 19, 1801 ; married Isaac P. Lawrence ; died Oct 5, 1848 ;
Abigail, Aug 29, 1803 ; married Midcliff Wilson ; died Mar 12, 1876 ;
Isabella, June 29, 1805 ; married John Wilson, a preacher of ability, who for a
time resided in Monroe upon the Cole homestead ; died July 7, 1849 ;
Amy, Oct 2, 1807 ; married Minor Knapp ; resides in Illinois.
Salisbury, Jan 19, 1810 ; occupied a part of the homestead ; died Feb 19, 1880 ;
Samuel, June 15, 1817 ; occupies a part of the homestead. Mr. Cole had his
little tannery near the watering-trough, on the same side of the road.
----Jared Woodruff, born at Barrington, Mass., Aug 14, 1789, made a trip to the
West a-foot and alone in 1812 or '13. With no particular point in view he
drifted into Monroe, and after having lived there for a short time, a brother,
Urial, came in and they purchased the improvements which had been made by John
Northrup. About fifty rods north-east of J. F. Woodruff's present residence,
they erected a double log house, and Urial, who was a married man, occupied one
part, and Jared the other, keeping, for a time, as in commonly expressed,
"bachelor's hall." He had a cow, and made his own butter by stirring it with a
spoon in a crock. Becoming tired of single-blessedness, Miss Sophronia Alden
accepted his hand, and they were joined in the bonds of wedlock March 2, 1814.
The young couple, full of hope and ambition, began life under the most trying
circumstances, and though their portion of this world's goods was very limited
and their privations many, by toil and courage they overcame all, and proved
themselves "victors" in the battle of life. The first year after their marriage
they packed the butter which they made from their cow in a barrel ( not because
the yield was so great, but because they had to practice the utmost economy, and
had no smaller vessel ), took it to Ithaca and exchanged it for a cake of white
sugar, a pound of tea, and some other groceries. The sugar and tea were all they
had for a whole year. One year Mr. Woodruff had but few products to turn off,
his best crop being