Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Monroe Township & Borough 1779-1885
Clement F. Heverly 
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
How to Use This Site
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
History of Monroe - Table of Contents
Pioneer & Patriots Table of Contents
Say Hello to Joyce
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Deborah JUDGE Spencer
Formatted & Published by  Joyce M. Tice 2004
As with ALL collections of this type, the work of Mr. Heverly also includes errors. Please be sure to confirm what you find here through other resources as well. One reference does not a proof make.
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page

Continued From

pumpkins. Drying a lot of these, he took them to Syracuse and exchanged them for salt. "Pumpkin molasses," as it was called, was used to save the butter ; and thorn-apples were gathered and dried for sauce. Fruit was a luxury, and when in its season, Mr. and Mrs. Woodruff would spend and evening with Mr. and Mrs. Rutty on Sugar creek, eat apples, and enjoy themselves in the good old way of the days of long ago. Their trips were usually made on horseback, she occupying the rear seat on the horse with him. It was before the days of the invention of matches, and it was not an uncommon thing for them "to go to their neighbors to borrow fire." Through their frugality, after a few years Mr. Woodruff was able to buy out the interest of his brother, who then moved to Spencer, N. Y. After years of diligence and toil, the forests had been cleared away, and fruitful and luxuriant fields succeeded. But the change had cost a life-time, and justly the closing days of a model man were spent in peace and plenty. Of this worthy character his biographer says : "For thirty-eight years he was a member of the Presbyterian church, and was an elder in that communion at the time of his death. His life was an exemplification in religion, an ornament to society and benefit to the community. His strict integrity, indomitable industry, united with benevolence, rendered him almost invaluable in the church and community. Surely, we can say, ' a good man has met his fate." His demise occurred at the homestead, June 9, 1875.
"Sophronia Alden" Woodruff was born at Tyringham, Mass., May 9, 1793 and migrated to Monroe with her


father's family in 1800. "For sixty years she was communicant and supporter of the Presbyterian church, and with her husband rendered valuable aid to the church and its institutions generally." She was a faithful and devoted companion, a kind mother, and bore her part most nobly in the struggles incident to pioneer life. She died April 8, 1876.
The children of Jared and Sophronia Woodruff were---
Corydon, born Dec 26, 1814 ; was drowned June 5, 1837 ;
Philinda, born Nov 6, 1817 ; married Dr. E. H. Mason ;
Phidelia, born Feb 23, 1820 ; married Jonas P. Smith ; died March 23, 1856 ;
Jared F., born Jan 12, 1823 ; occupies the homestead ;
Bernice, born March 29, 1832 ; married George D. Jackson, of Dushore, Sullivan county, Pa ;
Oscar H., born Feb 13, 1836 ; studied dentistry and located at Towanda. He was a young man of much promise, possessed of endearing qualities and a noble Christian nature, but was called to the "Evergeen Shore" in the vigor of manhood and usefulness, Oct 29, 1865.
The Irvines ( originally spelled Irwin )--- John Irvine, born in Scotland, emigrated to this country with his parents, and settled near Milton, Northumberland county, Pa, where he owned a farm. During the Revolutionary war, anticipating the move of the British and Indians, Mr. Irvine loaded his goods in canoes and passed down the river with his family to what is now Cumberland county, for safety. While here he died, the family moving back to their old home after the troubles were over--- whence we shall follow their migration into Bradford county.


Andrew, son of John Irvine, came to Towanda ( then Meansville ) in the spring of 1813, built a tannery and was known as "Irvine the tanner." In 1828 he built the first brick house in Towanda, was treasurer of Bradford county from 1824-26 and again from 1830-31. He became a prominent man in the county, but moved to Warren county, Pa., in 1834.
George, a half-brother of Andrew, born in Northumberland county, Pa., March 1775, had moved his brother to Bradford and being pleased with the country, and with the other heirs, having been lawed out of his property, concluded to move hither also. He had married ( Feb 19, 1801 ) Miss Margaret Reed, daughter of Wm. Reed, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, who for seven long years of suffering and doubt, followed Washington's heroic army, at last to victory. In December 1813, Mr. Irvine, having loaded a lumber wagon with goods and his family, started with a four-horse team for Bradford, coming by the way of Williamsport and Muncy ( then Pennsborough ), up the Lycoming creek, which he crossed thirty-six times. The first night after arriving in the county, was spent at Spalding's tavern, at Canton ; then coming on down the Towanda creek, he reached Monroe, and took up his residence on the W. W. Decker place, in a log house which had been erected by the Fowlers. He arrived with his family at their new home on the 17th of the month, after dark. He contracted for 200 acres of land under the Asylum Company of which Bartholomew Laporte was sub-agent, and was to pay for the same in yearly payments. In the spring of 1814 he began


making improvements, his first clearing being about 80 rods south of George Irvine's present residence, in fields of now Wm. Irvine. He built a hewed log house about three rods east of where George Irvine's residence now is, and moved in his family in June 1815. He was the first settler between Fowlertown and John Benjamin's in Asylum, a distance of six miles. He was required to cut his own road from the South Branch to his possission, but was assisted by his brother, Andrew, and son, John. James Reed, then a lad of but eight years, picked brush and otherwise aided in the work. Their home in the wilderness was a dreary one for some time, as not a neighbor's house was in sight, and the woods being filled with panthers, bears and wolves. The last would come at night to within a short distance of their house, and make the woods ring with their unpleasant music. Sheep and hogs had to be kept in strong pens at night to be secure from these destructive beasts. One day James Reed and his brother, "Sam," had been away to mill, and did not reach home until 9 o'clock at night. The sheep had not been brought in, and they at once started out in search of them. They were found at the foot of the mountain three-quarters of a mile from the house. As James was following them along in the path, all at once they stopped suddenly, and gathered about the young shepherd for protection. He was well aware that some animal was in waiting, and for a moment was not a little frightened. Upon viewing the premises, he saw directly in front of him and his flock, a panther in an attitude ready to spring, and was only awaiting an opportunity. Keeping his eye close upon the


beast, he searched the ground with his foot for a club, and having found one, picked it up quickly and cast it at his formidable foe. The hint was sufficient, and the panther ran off through the brush, passing "Sam," who thinking it was one of the sheep, took after it. Luckily, he did not get hold of the animal, not knowing his mistake until his brother related his adventure. It was not an uncommon occurrence to lose a hog or sheep by the wild beasts.
John and James had been huckleberrying, and did not reach home until the fore part of evening. When within a short distance of the house the dog chased up some animal, and the boys, anxious to know what it was, followed. The animal treed, and James ran for the gun. Returning, John, whose nerves had been undisturbed, took the gun and succeeded in bringing the panther down ; but had only wounded him. The dog clinched the "terror of the woods," but was soon crushed to the ground. James grasped a club and fought for his faithful canine, until John could again give him the contents of his rifle and end his existence. However, the animal had so fastened his claws and fangs into the dog's body, that he had to be torn from him after death.
Mr. Irvine with the aid of his sons fought the savagery of nature, and in the course of years, hardship and toil, had cleared up a large farm and paid for it. Grain and game were generally plentiful, but once in a great while there would be a scarcity of the former. One season crops were a failure and Mr. Irvine was required to go to Northumberland for a supply of corn and wheat. For some years he gave attention to lumbering and built a mill on his premises


on Marcy Run. In the "big flood" the mill was taken away, but another was afterwards built upon the place.
George Irvine was an estimable citizen, quiet and obliging, with a big heart for his poor neighbors. He was a liberal supporter of the churches and schools, and laborer generally for the public good. He was of a pacificating nature, and was frequently called to adjust the differences of his friends. As a man he was especially noted for his sterling integrity, and good common sense. Physically he was powerful, but his quiet nature never led him into difficulties. His demise occurred at the homestead, March 23, 1844.
"Margaret Reed," born March 26, 1780, was a faithful companion and a very devout Christian. She was a member of the Presbyterian church for over 73 years, and one of the few that belonged to that denomination when their meetings were held at the old Court House in Towanda. Upon the organization of the class at Monroe, she joined there, and remained faithful and consistent up to her dying day--- Feb 17, 1872.
Unto George and Margaret Irvine were born---
John, Dec 17, 1801 ; married Martha Arnout, subsequently Patience Merrett ; lived in Asylum till 1840, then moved into Wyalusing, where he died Oct 16, 1881.
James Reed, Nov 22, 1805 ; married Sarah Bull May 16, 1833 ; purchased the place which he now occupies and began improvements and built a log house thereon in 1829. He cleared up his entire farm, and for forty-nine years was a pilot on the Susquehanna for his father, himself and others. In addition to his own farm, he has helped to clear up two


others, besides having engaged in lumbering for some years. Mr. Irvine is a hale old gentleman of remarkable physique and memory. No man living in the county of his age, has a more accurate memory than he, and can tell as much of the history of central Bradford from 1813 forward as he can. He says : "I made my first visit to Towanda in 1814, where there were then but seven houses. These were Wm. Means', Andrew Irvine's, Adam Conley's, Henry Mercur's, Jesse Woodruff's, Simon Spalding's, and Ebenezer Gregory's." Mr. Irvine has many pleasant recollections, which are scattered along through this volume. He has been a useful and enterprising citizen, and is much esteemed by his neighbors. Our wish is, may his youth return to him, that succeeding generations may listen to his tales of when old Monroe was young.
The children of James Reed and Sarah Irvine are:
Elizabeth, who married Hiram Stevens ;
Samuel, who occupies the homestead ;
Sarah Bull Irvine was born June 21, 1810 ; died July 13, 1885
Welch Irvine, brother of Andrew and George, born in Cumberland county, Pa., June 15, 1780, was a boat builder by occupation, and followed boating on the West Branch and the Susquehanna for several years. Two brothers having already settled in the county, makes it obvious why he followed. He came into Monroe from Lewisburg, Pa., with his wife and child, in 1814. For awhile he stopped with his brother at Fowlertown, and in the meantime began improvements upon the lands he had purchased at Liberty


Corners. He erected a hewed log house, and moved his family in sometime in 1815, being required to cut his own road from his brother George's. His home was about twenty rods south of Mr. G. C. Irvine's present residence, on the opposite side of the road. Here upon his hundred-acre farm he spent his life in a most industrious manner. The first few years were the most trying, and he was frequently required to work for Mr. Fox, Bowman, or Means to provide the more immediate wants of his family. With the aid of his sons, he cleared up his farm, enjoyed his closing days in plenty, and, after reaching the allotted age of man, his soul took flight and passed to the God who gave it. "Mr. Irvine was a man." He was a faithful member of the M. E. church, and was one of the best read men of his time on the Scriptures. His life was pure, and his virtues and integrity unquestioned.
July 15, 1810, Welch Irvine and Miss Mary M. Kester were united in wedlock. Mrs. Irvine was a most estimable lady, and bore her part well in the scramble for a home in the wilderness. Early in life she became a communicant of the Presbyterian church, but joined the church of her husband in 1839, remaining faithful till the last. This good woman was born Feb 4, 1793 , and departed this life Nov 16, 1849. Her husband survived her only three months, his demise occurring Feb 12, 1850.
Their children were---
John B., born June 22, 1813 ; engaged in the foundry business at Towanda for some years ; died Aug 16, 1860 ;


George K., born Apr 18, 1815 ; migrated to Mississippi over forty years ago, where he still resides;
Guy C., born Aug 25, 1816 ; occupies the ancestral estate ;
Catharine M., born Nov 27, 1819 ; married John White, of Monroe ; died Aug 4, 1841 ;
James W., born March 6, 1825 ; located at Liberty Corners, and well-known to the people for years, as postmaster, merchant and farmer ;
Maria A., born April 8, 1828 ; married Harry Benjamin, of Asylum.
John D. Sanders, a native of Maryland, came to Monroe in about 1802-3, and settled the Ridgeway place. He moved into his log cabin before it had either door or windows. A blanket was supplemented for the former, and at night wolves would scratch against it, in the hope of admittance. Mr. Sanders had a large tract of land, erected a mill and engaged in lumbering for a few years, then sold out to Burr Ridgeway and removed West.
Daniel Gilbert settled at Greenwood in 1812 or '13. He was a son of Samuel Gilbert, a native of Connecticut, who migrated to Pennsylvania in about 1790, and lived at Plymouth for a short time. At about the time the French began coming to the county, he came also and settled below them, in Asylum. In 1809 or '10, Daniel moved to the George Bowman place and erected ( 1810 ) the house and barn yet standing on the premises. From here he removed to Greenwood, where he remained till 1817, then again took up his residence in Towanda township on the Patton place.


He was the father of Nelson Gilbert, well-known to the county, and one of the present Jury Commissioners.
William French, or "Bill French," as he was commonly known, came in from the East as early as 1813, and settled on the hills above Monroeton, near the Franklin line. He was something of a hunter, and in one of his early excursions he found three young animals playing about in a windfall, and not knowing what they were, picked up two of the kittens, when the mother, an animal the like of which he had never seen, pounced down upon him. He stood his ground well, but was required to let one of the kittens go. Upon reaching Absalom Carr's he found out that his kitten was a young panther. After awhile he took the young animal to the East and traded it for bear-traps and other paraphernalia of the hunter.
French afterwards had an adventure with a panther which did not result as profitably to him as the first one did. He struck the track of the animal just before dark, and followed it until darkness had fully set in, when the game took refuge in a tree. It was too dark to aim with certainty, so he took the lock from his gun to strike a fire with the flint, and by accident built the fire over it; the heat took the temper out of the lock, and his design was defeated. The resolved to wait till morning, and then make a new attempt on the game. But Morpheus soon engaged his attention, and he fell asleep, the panther still over his head in the tree. When French awoke the next morning the panther was not to be seen, having decamped during the hunter's sleep.
The Frenches were wont to go with their bags in search


of rattlesnakes. They captured many, thinking that there was a fortune in the enterprise, and took them down the river and disposed of them, however, without realizing their anticipations.
Anthony Vanderpool ( originally Vander Poel ), a Hollander by birth, came to Bradford county from Kinderhook, Columbia county, N. Y, in about 1790. He was a soldier in the War of the Revolution for three years, and the ancestor of the large family of that name now in the county. His first stopping-place was Aquaga, where he remained a year or two, then came to Durell Creek, and thence moved into the French settlement and engaged in the employ of that colony. We next find him in Monroe, where he built a small log-mill ( referred to as the "tub mill" ) on the South Branch. "Fowler's mill" afterwards occupied the same site. After remaining here for four or five years, and being despoiled of the title of his land, he again sought a new field of quietness. For a number of years he lived at Liberty Corners on the Hollon place and formed a considerable settlement there with his sons, and perhaps others. They lived in huts and had cleared a portion of the farm. It is stated that they had a burial upon the place. Again, as early as 1816, we find the family living on "Ellis Hill," having as many as six or seven cabins on the place now known as the "Williams farm." Their settlement was known as "Pool Town," and the hill as "Pool Hill." From here the family scattered, numerous descendants being found in the county, in settlements of their own kind. For a few years Mr. Vanderpool also resided upon the "Goff place,"


and Wm. Northrup and Wm. Tallady were frequent playmates of his younger boys. He died at Hale's in 1839, it is claimed aged 99 years, and was buried at Ellis Hill. His wife was Elizabeth Johnson. She died in 1837, and is also buried at Ellis Hill. Their children were----William, Anthony, Richard, Mary, Peter, Samuel, Lovina ( "Vina" ), Abraham, Henry, and Eleanor. The last named, Mrs. John Johnson, aged nearly 80 years, is the only one of the family living. William lived to be a centenarian, and all the others to a good age.
The Vanderpools and Johnsons.------ Hollanders early settled on the Hudson both above and below Albany, and their names are left to this day among the "Vans." The Vanderpool family settled in the Mohawk valley west of Albany, and were a prominent and somewhat important family in the early history of that section of the country. Judge Vanderpool was of this family, and stood second only to such men as Story, Livingston and Kent ; in fact, his decisions were held in esteem with all the jurists and barristers of the State. Anthony Vanderpool was of this family. There in the valley districts the family were both numerous and influential, and among its members owned and cultivated large real estates, some of which remain in the possession of the lineal families until this day." Martin Van Buren, the eighth President of the United States, was a nephew of Anthony Vanderpool, his mother being a sister.
Sir William Johnson, who bore so prominent a part in the French and Indian war, was given the management of the landed estate of his uncle, Sir Peter Warren, in the Mohawk


valley, upon condition that he would undertake its improvement and settlement. Accepting the offer he established himself in the valley at Warrensburg, 24 miles from Schenectady. "In addition to the settling and improving of the country, he embarked in trade with the Indians, whom he always treated with perfect honesty and justice. This course, added to his easy but dignified and affable manner, and the intimacy which he cultivated with them, by accommodating himself to their manners and sometimes even to their dress, soon won for him their entire confidence, so that he acquired an influence over them greater than was ever possessed by any other white man. He became a master of their language, speaking many of their dialects perfectly, and was thoroughly acquainted with their peculiar habits, beliefs and customs. He was adopted by the Mohawks as one of their own tribe, chosen sachem, and named Wariaghejaghe, 'he who has charge of affairs.' " He was the founder of Johnstown, lived in the style of an old English baron, and exercised the most unbounded hospitality. About 1740 he married Catharine Wisenburgh, a German girl, who died young, leaving him a widower with three children---a son, John, knighted in 1765, and two daughters, who married, respectively, Col. Claus and Col. Guy Johnson. Sir William never married again. He had for some years many mistresses, both Indian and white ; by whom it is said he had 100 children. Mary, or as she is generally called, "Molly" Brant, the sister of Joseph Brant, the great Mohawk sachem, whom he took to his house, and with whom he lived happily till death, is by some termed his wife, but they were


never legally married. He had eight children by her whom he provided for by his will, in which he calls them his natural children. Not only were his illegitimate children called "Johnson," but tradition says, "because of his high standing among the Indians, they named many of their papooses after him." Hence it is seen that the Johnsons coming from the Mohawk valley are either mongrels or full blooded Indians.
The origin of the two families named in the caption has now been fully defined, and we come to the reason of Mr. Vanderpool's migration to Bradford county. As already stated, it is seen that the Vanderpools were a family of standing and affluence ; and that in adjacent territory to them were large fragments of the once powerful Mohawk nation. "The Oneida tribe was a part of the original Mohawk nation, and this tribe had their head centre contiguous to Albany on their east, and Utica in their western association." Now it is easy to see how Anthony Vanderpool became acquainted with Elizabeth Johnson. It is said that he married her because she won his heart by befriending him in time of Indian hostilities ; and also, that a pleasant face, though yellow, captivated him, and both becoming environed in love, matrimony was the natural result. This move was decidedly distasteful to the haughty and somewhat aristocratic Dutch family, and hence Anthony ( called "Antony" ) having gained the displeasure of the family was cast off. He came to Bradford county while the Indians were yet here. Mr. Vanderpool is described as a man well-built, about six feet high, with all the characteristics of a "Dutchman," and some of the Indian, resulting from association. He was


known as "King Pool" and was a man of no particular faults. Mrs. Vanderpool is remembered as a common-sized woman of dark yellow skin, pleasant countenance, slow of speech and fond of smoking. She was known as "Queen Pool," and the old people do not hesitate in saying that she belonged to the Oneida tribe. The complexion of the children varied, some being lighter than others. They had the characteristics of both the Hollander and Indian. Their language, impure, was strongly of the Dutch accent; while their dispositions were akin to those of the Indian.
It is stated that the father of "King Pool" came directly from Holland, and lived for a short time at Kinderhook.
Isaac Wheeler came to the county with Anthony Vanderpool, and moved from place to place with him. He was the "Wheeler" living on the South Branch when the Fowlers came in. He was a drummer in the Revolutionary war, and drew a pension afterwards. His wife was Eleanor Johnson. In 1822 he moved to Indiana, where he died.
Nicholas Johnson, a brother of "Eleanor Wheeler," also came from Kinderhook to the county between 1797-1800. Others of the name followed ; also Ambrose Vincent, Henry Cornelius, and a family by the name of Heeman. It is said that Mrs. Heeman and Mrs. Vincent were sisters of Mrs. Vanderpool.
Brown and Roberts.---- "The earliest settlers of Monroe found at the confluence of the Towanda creek with the South Branch, two hunters, named respectively Brown and Roberts, snugly ensconced in a strong, well-built log cabin, or


house, on the identical spot where the first county jail afterwards found a foundation. Neither of the hunters had any family. Each had a faithful dog and a trusty rifle, and a hunter's habits and constitution. Roberts, upon a time, went away, whether to hunt or for some other purpose, is not known, but he never returned. Some twenty years afterward a human skeleton and the remains of a rifle were found, overgrown with roots and the accumulations of time, within the ruins of one of the old French cabins, near Laddsburg. Conjecture has it that this was, perhaps, the last of the long missing Roberts. Brown was left with his two famous bear dogs, ' Carlo ' and ' Range, ' and a never failing heart and rifle, by which to obtain a living for himself and food for the dogs. He was a genial, kind-hearted man ; he made war upon the bears, panthers, wolves, elk, and all smaller game as he needed, but lived in peace and friendship with all the new comers to the settlement. When he had an abundance of game he was always ready to divide it all over the settlement, which was, in fact, a common custom of those primitive times. A fat deer fed every family within reach. Roberts after a time ceased to be talked about, and Brown and his dogs were contented and prosperous.
"A change was to occur that interrupted the quiet of the cabin, and the serene happiness of the entire little community. Brown was taken sick, was sick long, and grew slowly worse for weeks and months, and it was whispered by nearly all that he could not recover. The young men supplied him with the delicacies of the forest and stream, while the children gathered him berries and fruit ; and both young and


old seemed to vie with each other in their kindly offices, tendered to the friendly old hunter. The dogs were there by his bedside, except when sent for a short hunt, and they seemed to take an instinctive interest in the affairs of their sick master. Carlo wagged his hearty welcome to all that approached the cabin or bedside of the sick man, and seemed to ask of them to do all that they could for his suffering master. Range was more suspicious, and scrutinized all comers and goers to know if all was right. The Wilcox family had settled ( 1798 ) within a few rods of the hunter's cabin, and young Sheffield Wilcox took his first lessons in woodcraft from the old man before disease fastened upon him.
"The hunter died, and Carlo watched over him. The funeral was duly attended, and Carlo followed the coffin to the grave and saw it let down into its narrow home. The grave was filled up, Carlo refused to leave the place, and it took time to wean him from the grave of his master.
"The first funeral of Monroe ( that we have any account of ) had no blood relatives of the deceased for mourners, but a dog was admired by the sturdy yeomanry for his attachment. Sheffield Wilcox, Jr., inherited the dogs and guns, by the old hunter's directions ; and the ' hunter's mantle ' evidently fell, when he bestowed the hunting estate. Range in after years fell in a most terrific conflict with a huge bear, but Bruin fell in the same engagement, for that young hunter with his rifle was there. Carlo, the favorite of all, lived to an advanced age, ' the truest of his kind, ' and fought many hard battles with the forest game, and often had to


be carried home in human arms, being so disabled by the fierce encounters as to be unable to follow his master. Good nursing and kind attention, usually, soon prepared him for another hunt. Mothers, in the evening, were wont to talk their children to sleep, telling them of the early hunter and his dogs, Carlo and Range.
"But alas for poor Roberts ! How did he die ? Did a poisonous snake bite him so that he died in one short hour ? Did he break his leg in that deep wood, so that he could not reach home ? Or did bilious colic seize him soon after his noonday lunch, causing him to sink down beneath the leafy canopy, in a hand-to-hand conflict alone with the Fell Monster ?
"Nude Nature was his shroud, the winds were his requiem, the insects were his undertakers, and the tall hemlocks waved his spirit away to the immortal hunting grounds. His dog returned, but told nothing. The great day will tell it all. We retrieve more facts than fancies from the obliviousness of the past."
The Hewits were lumbermen. They came to Monroe before 1813, and had a mill in operation at Masontown for several years, and did quite an extensive business. "Squire Hewitt " was a wide-awake, stirring man, and gave employment to several men. He owned at one time what is now known as the Parks place. Dudley, Wheaton, and Gurdon Hewitt were connected with the business. The "Squire" failed, and the settlement of his affairs was left to Gurdon, who transferred the estate to Eliphalet Mason. Afterwards the Hewitts went to Pine Creek, and engaged in lumbering


there. Gurdon became a banker in Owego, and a man of standing. A sister, Eunice, married Wm. Means Jr, and was the mother of J. F. Means, of Towanda. A brother, Calvin, lived in Asylum township.
From 1821 to 1822 Gurdon Hewitt was Treasurer of Bradford county.
Thomas Cox was an early settler and came at about the same time, and, perhaps, with the Northumberlandites. For a time he lived within the limits of Monroeton, then moved to the hills back of the village, in Towanda township, where he died. He married Susan, daughter of Usual Carter. U. M. Cox and Mrs. Nathan Northrop are children, and reside in the township.
Charles Brown came to the township and settled the Philo Mingos place, before 1813. He was a son of Thomas Brown, who settled in Wyalusing in 1783. He owned a large farm, and cleared up a considerable part of it. For a number of years he held the office of Justice of the Peace ( we think the first in Monroe ), and hence was generally known as "Squire Brown." He was counted a shrewd man in his time. He died upon the place and is buried there in the family burial ground.
He married Fanny Gilbert, and had a family of several children, none of whom are residents of the township. William H. H. for some years was associated with J. L. Rockwell in the mercantile business at Monroeton. Aurice married Joseph Homet. Burton and Byron reside in Franklin.
Samuel Needham was a resident of Monroe in 1813, and


was assessed as a mason. Some of the older inhabitants remember attending school with his son Benjamin, who settled in Mauch Chunk and became a man of some note.
John E. Kent, a blacksmith by occupation, was also a resident of the township in 1813. After having lived in Monroeton for a time he removed to the Kellogg place, and had his house near the junction of Kent Run ( so called after him ) with the South Branch. Kent is said to have been a skillful workman, naturally bright, with the ability to magnify in teling stories. He claimed to have found a vein of coal on the Kellogg mountain, and it is said brought in loads of it upon his back in a basket, and used it in his shop. When making his visits to this spot, he would never allow any one to accompany him. "Kent's coal mine" has been the subject of much speculation for years. His wife was Sally Cranmer, by whom he had several children. Orsemus became a Mormom preacher, and it said to have been killed by lightning. Omer went West and became a judge. Kent deserted his family and was never heard of afterwards.
Edsall Carr was an inhabitant of Monroe in 1813. He lived near where Hawes' factory now is, at first, then moved on the hills back of Monroeton. He generally accompanied the hunting parties, and was made the butt of good-natured fun. A daughter of his married Francis French, brother of "Bill." Carr went West in 1821.
Absalom Carr came about the same time as did Edsall Carr, and was no doubt a brother. He was something of a hunter.
Job Irish was an early inhabitant of Monroe. He was