Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Monroe Township & Borough 1779-1885
Clement F. Heverly
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
||Do You Know that you can search just these
Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search
engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
the father of “Jed Irish,” who became a man of considerable note in Carbon
Amasa Kellogg, born April 18, 1776, at Hillsdale, Columbia county, N. Y., was a
descendant in the fifth generation of Lieut. Joseph Kellogg, of Hadley, Mass.,
one of three Scotch brothers who came to America in 1660. The Kellogg farm at
Hillsdale was settled at an early day. During the Indian hostilities, a fort had
been erected for the protection of the inhabitants. The opening left for the
wagons was so narrow that the gate had to be lifted off its hinges when the men
went out to their work. One day while the men were in the fields, the news came
that the Indians were about to make an attack. Mrs. Kellogg (mother of Amasa)
flew to the gate and was not long in placing it upon its hinges, though it
weighted seven hundred pounds, and usually required the strength of three men.
However, miraculous as this feat may seem, it has become historical. In about
1798 Amasa Kellogg married Miss Eunice Chadwick, of Lyme, Conn. Having formed an
acquaintance with Abner C. Rockwell, while yet residing in the East, the latter,
upon being made Sheriff in 1813, wrote his friend, Kellogg, a promising letter,
which brought him in as a prospector. Rockwell made him his deputy, but during
the summer he found time to go up into Albany and make a possession. In the fall
Mr. Kellogg returned for his family. Loading his effects and family in a lumber
wagon, after a journey of ten days he reached his new home. In some places he
found no roads, and had to ford the creeks many times. There was not a bridge
over the streams from To-
wanda to Albany. His wagon was the first to pass up the South Branch of the
Towanda creek, and when he reached Albany in October, 1813, he found only ten
families there, and two in Overton. After remaining in Albany for about three
years, Mr. Kellogg moved into Monroe and settled the place now occupied by his
grandson, W. A. Kellogg. He lived in a double log house which stood where Mr.
Kellogg’s garden now is. He died with his son, Moses, upon the place, Nov. 30,
Once upon a time Daniel Kellogg, of Franklin, Luman Kellogg, of Smithfield, and
Amasa Kellogg, of Monroe, all early settlers, met. The question arose, were they
relatives? Upon tracing their ancestry, it was found that a descendant of each
of the original Scotch brothers was represented.
Eunice Chadwick, born May 9, 1777; died April 12, 1884
The children of Amasa and Eunice Kellogg were ---
Almira, born Aug. 21, 1799; married John Heverly and moved to the wilds of
Overton in 1816, being the second female there, and a most interesting character
in the early days of that town; she died May 18, 1880.
Moses, born March 23, 1801; married Miss Mehitable, daughter of Ebenezer Mason,
died May 4, 1864. Before marrying he taught several terms of school in Albany
and Monroe. In about 1825 he engaged in lumbering, and pursued that business in
connection with farming till the close of his life. For some years he was
associated with his brother, Ezra C., then with his sons, who succeeded to his
estates. Mr. Kellogg was a man noted for his sterling integrity and honesty. His
friends were many, and he was
almost continually honored with offices of trust, which were faithfully and ably
performed. It has been said of him that “if there was ever an honest man
Christian man, Moses Kellogg was one.”
Unto Moses and Mehitable Kellogg were born---Myron, Mary, Mathena (Mrs. Joel
Rice), Lewis G., William A., Charles H., Delanson, and Clarence. All are living
save Lieutenant Charles H., who died of wounds received in the service.
Mrs. Kellogg was born Oct. 8, 1804; died May 19, 1881.
Ezra Chadwick, was born at Hillsdale upon the Kellogg farm, Aug. 14, 1806;
married Lovina, daughter of Eleazer Sweet; died March 12, 1885. His life was an
active one, and was spent in farming and lumbering, for many years operating a
mill upon his own farm. In 1855 he was chosen County Treasurer and in 1870
County Commissioner, and proved an able and popular officer. Mr. Kellogg was an
observing man, possessed of a most retentive memory, and hence knew much of
early days, and was one of the most interesting in recounting old-time events.
Nothing pleased him more, in his last days, than to tell of the great changes of
his life, going back to the time when Monroe, Albany and Overton, all contained
less than fifty families. His recollection furnished many connecting links in
the local history of this part of the county. In all of his works of life he was
a just and upright man, charitable and generous in his spirit, and shared very
widely the confidence and respect of the community in which he resided.
The children of Ezra and Lovina Kellogg were---Brunette
(Mrs. Daniel Blackman), Ornaldo, Jemima (Mrs. D. W. Brown), Morris, Ellen E.
(Mrs. Samuel Irvine), Bernice (Mrs. J. V. Rettenburg), Stella, Amy, Ezra G.
“Aunt Lovina,” as she is commonly known, born March 12, 1813, is a very bright
and interesting old lady, enjoying vigorous health. For more than fifty years
she was the happy companion of E. C. Kellogg, with whom she celebrated her
Oliver W., born July 27, 1808; when a young man migrated to Texas, married
Judith Scratch, and died there in 1884.
Anna M., born Aug. 28 1810; married Hiram Baker and lived in Monroe for several
Daniel, born Feb. 14, 1813; married Eliza McMicken and resides in Albany.
Amasa Kellogg enlisted in the war of 1812 and went to Danville, where, after a
month’s absence with the company, peace being declared he returned home.
While Mr. Kellogg was living in Albany, Mrs. Kellogg made a visit to the Heverly
settlement, and upon returning in the dusk of evening, as she was going down the
Long Hill, saw, as she supposed, a yellow dog approaching her and felt much
pleased, thinking that some neighbor was near. But when within a couple of rods
of the creature she discovered her mistake, it being a panther. The animal
turned out and ran up a tree, and she made the best speed possible for Mr.
Luce’s, which she reached without being harmed.
George Arnout came from Northumberland county in 1816, and purchased with his
son, Jacob, the farm generally
known as the ‘Salisbury place.’ Jacob had been in previously and picked out the
location. Mr. Arnout worked at shoemaking, in connection with farming, and is
said to have been a capitol workman. He remained upon the farm until the time of
his death. Jacob did not come to the place to live till a couple of years later.
Having married, he built a two-story hewed log house, moved in, and began
improving his lands. He remained upon the place for a few years, then sold out
to Wm. Wilson. Other children of George Arnout were --- Peter, who died in
Asylum; Mark, who died in Canton; Mary, who married Harry Benjamin, of Asylum.
Selah Arnout, born July 12, 1768, came in after his brother and located upon the
place now occupied by his son’s widow. He bore his part well in the struggles
incident to life in a new country, and died upon the farm which he had carved
out of the wilderness, Jan. 17, 1844. He was twice married. His first wife,
“Prudence Knight,” was born Feb. 14, 1773; died Oct. 2. 1822. He married for his
second wife the “Widow Cummings.” His children were---
George E., born May 4, 1798; married Mary Wilcox in 1820; died May 17, 1860.
Before his marriage he had cleared a single field and put up a hewed log house
on the farm now occupied by Issac Robbins. He began single-handed and without
means. At first he met with many misfortunes---his first cow was drowned, and
one of his oxen killed and the other injured. But he was not disheartened, and
through industry and manly toil his farm was cleared up and paid for.
“Mary Wilcox” was born Nov. 19th 1796; died July 9, 1868.
Their children were--- George W., born Nov 23, 1825; Emily (Mrs. Isaac Robbins),
born Dec. 25, 1826; Charles B., born March 9, 1828; died Aug. 20, 1862.
Samuel, went West when a young man;
Mahala, married Jed Irish and moved to Mauch Chunk;
Hannah, married Clark Cummings, of Monroe;
Susan, married Abraham Orr and move out of the country;
Cidney, married James Deegan, of Dushore, Sullivan Co.,;
Joshua, born Aug. 13, 1813; married Martha Chilson and occupied the homestead,
where he died June 26, 1869.
Their children were---Theodore, Mary F. (Mrs. Benjamin North), George E., Emily
H. (Mrs. Portus Coolbaugh), Martha M. (Mrs. Chas. Griswold), Julia (Mr. Hiram
Martha Chilson, or “Aunt Patty,” as she is commonly called (born Jan. 2 1814),
is an active old lady, and resides alone upon the homestead.
Simeon Bristol, or “Uncle Sim Bristol,” as he was familiarly called we find
among the more interesting characters of Monroe not far from 1818. Whence he
came is uncertain, but for seven years he claimed to have been among the Seneca
Indians and learned their mysteries in the healing art. He is described as a
thick-set, well-built man of a genial face, full of fun, enterprise, and
pleasant mischief. He was steady, sober, industrious, honest and good natured,
and with all the rest possessed nerve. He was a distiller by occupation, and
lived at Fowlertown and operated the distillery for Fowler Brothers. He
purchased lands now occu-
pied by Samuel Lyons, and Franklin Fowler, and made some improvements thereon.
His home was a log house that stood near where Mr. North’s residence now is. He
was a bachelor, and took great comfort with his hounds, a number of which he
kept for the chase. His hounds were always ready for a race, and at times would
break away from their fastenings and take a race to themselves without Uncle
Sim’s being present to superintend the hunt. The man that was in luck and killed
the deer, was expected to feed the dogs and render the skin to Uncle Sim,
reserving to himself the rest of the game, and all was right.
At length things became dull in the settlement, and needed a change. Something
new must be had, that would do to be talked about---something to make a
sensation or a stir. All topics had become old, even the seven pairs of twins
that had been so safely numbered with the populace. Freeman Wilcox had killed
his huge panther with a club while he was fighting the dogs. Sheffield Wilcox
had robbed a panther’s next of its young, and brought the ‘little varmints,’ as
he called them, and put them down in our door-yard for us to play with. The
wolves den had been invaded, the old one killed and the pups (five or six in
number) brought and exhibited to us for an hour, before drawing the bounty; and
even the ferocious bear’s lair was not sacred, he having been compelled to yield
his cubs of his life, or both, to satisfy the energy and daring of the men of
these times. Well, all of these things became old and commonplace and ceased to
be talked about, and a sensation was demanded.
Uncle Sim was equal to the emergency. He planned
and helped to execute the new and daring feat that would give new tone to
conversation for a month. It was to capture a live elk and bring him in as a
Moses Miller and Sheffield Wilcox, two veterans, were selected as the right and
left hand supporters. Forward was the word, and away they went to the deep
woods. Once in the herd and the dogs slipped, the fun is fast at once. Those
right good old dogs, such as Bose, Bessie, Trim, Tige, Mage, Drive and
Brandy---they would now make tramps scarce, and burglars law-abiding citizens.
The hunters were so sanguine of success as to have taken the rope with them with
which to halter-break and bring in his antlership, after learning him a few
things. You may not suppose that the noble elk was dragged down by the dogs and
then roped; not at all. He could not be loaded with dogs enough to down him. The
sport had quite a little more of the dangerous about it than the approach of a
prostrate and subdued animal. Some sturdy old male elk, with horns spreading
from four to six feet, usual makes a dash among the dogs by way of defiance, and
to defend the cows and calves that the dogs are barking furiously at, and by
this means he draws the whole pack around him at once, allowing the rest of his
tribe to make good their escape, if indeed they have escaped the rifles that
first broke the notes of surprise in their quiet camp. Sometimes this old
patriarch would find more of a fight than he bargained for, and get the worst of
the conflict all the way through. This is not a pack of untutored wolves that he
is defying, but dogs as true as ever drew blood or kissed the babies’ cheeks
before the homestead fire. They
will do all that their masters expect of them, and quit only at the signal of
The deer when persistently pursued invariably takes to the water. Not so with
elk. He takes to the deepest wilds of the wilderness and the highest peaks of
the mountains and to the ledges and cliffs that he is aware of, and proposes to
fight it out in that line. If possible, he will perch himself upon the edge of
some high, precipitous cliff, with his heels to the edge of the precipice while
his antlers guard his front, assisted by now and then a shot from the shoulder
with his fore-foot, which comes like an arrow at his assailants, and often with
marked success. He has practiced this kind of fencing for many years in his
battles with the wolves that have attempted to carry away or eat up the calves
of the herd. When in this, his natural fortress, woe be to the luckless
inexperienced hound that attempts to pass his rear and get a nip at his heels or
a taste of his hams. One of those dexterous kicks is most likely to disintegrate
him from both the cliff and the fight all at once; and if after a fall and
tumble of thirty to sixty feet without choice of a spot on which to stop, he
ever comes back to the fight again it will be as a wiser dog, if at the cost of
being a cripple for life. Nature has given this noble stag another advantage in
the contest that is scarcely ever mentioned in the description of the chase.
Like the pole-cat and panther the elk and secrete and discharge upon the dogs a
disheartening fluid that sometimes is of great service to him in holding his
enemies at a distance, whether they be dogs or wolves.
But here he is; in majesty itself, and the most inviting
specimen of game that has gladdened those hunter’ eyes; and now for the capture
and securing of the truly noble and worthy prize. The stealthy hunters advance,
the dogs, aware of the reinforcements, become more fierce, and the elk, with
steady nerve, parries every snap and despises every bark. He is at bay, and in
every parry, cut, thrust and kick he leaves no part of his person unguarded. He
fights by rule, not heeding the hunters, for they are not barking at him. The
stealthy hunters nevertheless advance, one of them taking up his position twenty
feet right in front of the quarry, his rifle at the ‘ready’ covering the game.
The other two men have fixed a noose in the middle of the rope, and a man at
each end of it, fifteen feet or so apart, and they are carefully approaching his
front with their rope extending as far as possible to keep them out of reach of
his horns. If he charges the rifle must kill him; if he makes a lunge, the noose
must catch him, and so goes the fight until the noose of the rope is over his
head, or has caught safely his horns, or until he get his head or horns into it.
Not a word is spoken until ‘There, we have got him!’ ‘Hold firm!’ ‘Call off the
dogs!’ ‘Be quick, Uncle Moses, and get your noose on his hind foot!’ &c., &c.
Right here the stalwart hunter’s richest fun just opens in all the plentitude of
the excitement. The surges, snorts, rears, lunges, falls, laughs and bumps and
tears and thumps that the three men and the elk take (about an even thing), are
sports that a blooded, good-natured hunter can but enjoy. It would draw a larger
crowd than any circus. The dogs are relieved and the hunters are more than
Clothes are a consideration never taken into the account any more than the
shins. The fight once open, all is absorbed in passing events. The intimation of
any necessity for a clothing store is when the hunter’s wife in good nature
reminds him of his approach to nudity. No account is taken of time passing; all
is devotion to the hunt, the game and success.
The elk was brought down the mountain and then down to Greenwood and to where
Monroe now is. Wilcox and Miller walked one on each side of him, close up to
him. He had become quite domesticated, except he yet remembered how to kick
viciously. He was stayed with Uncle Simeon at the still-house, to repair
damages, for several days. Then he was moved up South Branch to Albany to be
kept by Uncle Sheffield Wilcox. He became a fine pet, but never fully recovered
from the bites of the dogs, the bruises and injuries of the fight. He was a fine
specimen, but he pined away and died as he had lived, ‘game.’ This was the first
living elk captured by our hunters.
After some years Mr. Bristol married a Miss Wilcox, of Franklin, and moved up
the Towanda creek, where he died.
Sebra Phillips was also a distiller for the Fowlers at an early day. He was a
native of the East. While visiting at Fowlertown he lost his wife, then took up
his quarters with “Uncle Sim Bristol.” He left after a few years.
---Among the names of those contained in the first assessment of Monroe (1821)
is that of James Crooks, the pedagogue. He was one of the most noted teachers of
his day, and will long be remembered on account of his eccentricities,
and rigidness, or perhaps from the power of his “old shoe.” He taught at
Monroeton, and in many other part of the county.
William Day, a native of Rhode Island, and carpenter by occupation, resided at
Fowlertown til 1825, when he removed.
Abraham Hess, mentioned in the song, “When Old Monroe was Young,” was a resident
of the township from 1822 to 1824. Moses Rowley is the other character mentioned
in the same stanza.
John and Norman Stone lived upon the place afterward owned by Judson Blackman,
for a short time before the latter came in.
Solomon Tallady, who was noted for his athletic powers, lived on Millstone Run
for a time. He was the father of Wm. Tallady, of Albany.
Daniel Lyon, a native of Oxford, Chenango county, N. Y., born Sept. 22 1794,
found his way into Monroe in 1821. He was a son of Dr. Daniel Lyon, who was
drowned when the former was but fourteen years old, leaving a large family.
Daniel was the eldest of the sons, and hence the one upon whom the mother most
depended for assistance. He had learned the trade of mill-wright and
Monroe was a densely wooded country, with huge pines and other valuable timbers.
Public improvements had begun, and mills were springing up all around. It was
just the place for one of Mr. Lyon’s occupation, and he was not long in finding
it. His mother and the rest of the family
came with him and his wife. Mr. Lyon purchased the Bristol place, but lived near
Mr. Fowler’s some time before moving to his farm. He gave his attention mainly
to mill and bridge building. He was one of the first workmen, and learned his
trade with Theodore Burr, who is said to have been the originator of
arch-bridges. Mr. Lyon built the original arch-bridges at Monroe and Masontown,
besides many others in and out of the county. He built a large number of mills,
and the first one in Overton. He was a real genius and could do almost anything
he undertook. In music he was very talented, and was not only the “chief
violinist” of sixty years ago, but could play the fife and flute well. Many a
gay dancer, now gray-headed, will remember how he use to enjoy himself with his
lady, dressed in homespun, at the parties in the happy days of long ago, when
“Captain Lyon” furnished the music. He was a man held in much esteem by his
neighbors. Being quiet, with full control over his temper, and possessed of
excellent good common sense, he was a natural leader and counselor of men. For
some years he was captain of militia, whence he got the title by which he was
generally addressed. He was firm, but pleasant in demeanor, and was endowed with
a kind and generous heart. He died upon the homestead in 1849.
He had been united in wedlock with Miss Eliza Lewis, of Tioga, N. Y., who bore
Sophia, Feb 12, 1821, who married O. N. Salisbury;
Eugenia, Oct. 15, 1822, who married Geo. Smith, of Monroe;
Eliza, Sept. 4, 1824, who married Wm. B. Dodge, of Towanda---distinguished as an
Otis. P., July 7, 1826, married Loretta Lawrence, moved West and died at St.
Samuel, Aug. 14, 1828, married Eliza Dodge, and occupies the ancestral estate;
Daniel, Sept. 7, 1830, married Ella Salisbury, resides in Iowa;
Theodore B., Sept. 22, 1832, married Eliza Northrup, resides in Monroe;
Augusta, May 28, 1841, married O. A. Baldwin, of Towanda; eminent as a vocalist.
Eliza Lewis, born Oct. 17, 1799, died in 1852.
Truxton Lyon, brother of Daniel, came to Monroe in 1821, and was assessed as a
“wood-carder,” and in the year following to a half-interest in a “fulling-mill,”
which had been purchased perhaps by his mother, and held for a few years. In the
course of time Mr. Lyon went West, made money, became a member of the State
Legislature, but lost his life and property in the time of the civil war. He was
the father of William Lyon, of Albany. Others of the Lyon family were: Randolph,
who went to Canada and became famous as a musician; Marcus; Sally (Mrs. Sherman
Havens); Cyntha (Mrs. Isaac Huyck); Laura (Mrs. Ross). Mrs. Dr. Lyon, nee
Elizabeth Noble, was born March 2, 1775, died in 1851, and is buried at
Judson Blackman, born at Peru, Mass., Nov. 30, 1798, removed to Connecticut with
his parents, thence to Pipe Creek, N. Y., when he found his way into Monroe,
ford county, in 1820 or ’21. He had formed an acquaintance with Isaac Lawrence,
who was employed by the Fowlers in their fulling factory, and came in through
his inducements. In 1821 we find him assessed as a “clothier,” and in the next
three years succeeding to a one-half interest in a fulling mill and 328 acres of
land. In about 1825 he and Capt. Lyon built a saw-mill on the South Branch, on
the lower end of his farm, and engaged in lumbering. He subsequently bought out
Mr. Lyon and continued lumbering and farming on a large scale for many years,
giving employment to a number of men. In about 1844 he erected a distillery upon
his farm, which after two or three years he sold to James Paine and his brother
Jeremiah, who removed it to the place of the latter at South Branch. Mr.
Blackman was a man well known in the county. Beginning life without a dollar,
through careful management, industry and the favor of good luck, he acquired a
fine fortune, which he left to his children. He was a liberal supporter of the
churches and schools, and the poor man was never turned away from his door. His
life, which was a successful one, was closed Dec. 28, 1864.
July 4, 1826, he was joined in marriage with Miss Lovice Rockwood, who was also
born at Peru, Mass. She died upon the homestead, Aug. 23, 1883, aged 81 years, 9
Lyman, born Dec. 4, 1828; married Jan Quackenbaughs, subsequently Mrs. Elizabeth
Fox; resides with his brother upon the homestead;
Daniel R., born June 16, 1830; married Brunette Kellogg, subsequently Mrs.
Jemima Hopkins; resides in Monroe;
Judson S., born March 29, 1847; married Cassie Wolf; occupies the ancestral
Libeus Marcy, a native of Connecticut, born June 19, 1793, migrated to Monroe,
Bradford county, in 1822, having been induced hither by a brother-in-law,
Chester Mason, who came the year before. After residing upon the “Parks place”
for a year or two, he traded his property for timberland, now included in the
farms of his son, Lyman, Mrs. Heisz and Mr. Wickham, and in company with Mr.
Mason put up a saw-mill and engaged in lumbering for a number of years. After
that business ceased to be a great industry, he gave the balance of his life to
the improvement of his farm. He was a man of indomitable energy, and fought most
successfully the battle of life. Three times he strided the distance between
Monroeton and Connecticut on foot, before the present day facilities of travel
were known, and when economy and frugality were a necessary part of the common
practice of successful life. He was one of Monroe’s best citizens, and filled
his place well in all the common duties of a citizen; and in promptness met the
responsibilities that were conferred upon him by his fellow men. Of littleness
and dishonesty he was never accused, and of bad faith he was never suspected. In
his advanced age Mr. Marcy enjoyed the fruits of his earlier sacrifices, in the
convenience and comforts that gathered around him, and in the beauty and
improvement that spread out before him. He
died Feb. 28, 1877, on the farm where he lived, reared his family and prospered.
He was twice married, his first wife being Lucy Keeler, who bore him---Charles,
Aug. 29, 1825, who resides in Monroe.
In 1828 he married Mary Edsall. The children resulting from this marriage
Lyman, born April 2, 1829, who occupies the homestead;
Moses M., born Dec. 25, 1831, residing in Terry township;
Elisa J. born Nov. 23, 1832; married Lewis Botree;
Hiram, born June 12, 1835; died in his country’s service, Aug. 5, 1863;
Selen, born April 11, 1837; residing in Monroe;
Vinson, born Aug. 31, 1843; residing in Monroe;
Mary Edsall Marcy was born Feb. 6, 1799; died Nov. 2, 1875.
Thomas Lewis, or “Uncle Tommy Lewis,” as he was generally known, a native of
Lebanon county, Pa., came to Monroe in 1822 from McKunesville, Pa. His first
stopping place was at Fowlertown, where he remained for ten years. He then moved
to South Branch on the place now occupied by his son, James H., where he
remained until the time of his demise, Jan. 27, 1854 at the age of 74 years.
In 1822 Mr. Lewis was assessed as a “wheelwright,” but his business was more
nearly that of a cabinet-maker. For years he supplied the people for miles with
spinning-wheels (both little and big), chairs, and bedsteads; and articles of
his manufacture are in use to this day. He worked faithfully at his trade, till
old age required him to quit it. His
son, Robert, had purchased a tract of timberland, who with his brother, James,
erected a mill on the very site of Harris’ mill in 1835, and began the
manufacture of lumber. James subsequently succeeded to the whole estate and
engaged quite extensively in lumbering, till within a few years since his time
has been more fully devoted to farming. Thomas Lewis was a man respected for his
honesty, and deep religious faith. He was a member of the Presbyterian church
for many years. In the rearing of his family he took a great pride, and never
did foul or wicked words from his lips blight the characters of his children. He
wedded Miss Charlotte Hughes, who bore him---
Mary, who married Jos. Brown and resides at Greenwood;
Robert, who lived and died in Albany;
Charlotte, who died when a young lady;
Margaret, who married James Dewitt, of West Burlington;
James H., who occupies the old farm;
Joseph, who resides at Dushore, Pa.;
Moses M., who occupied a part of the homestead when he died.
Mrs. Lewis died Nov. 27, 1850, aged 72 years, 4 months, 29 days.
Dr. Benoni Mandeville, a native of Branby, Mass., came to Bradford county in
1813, at first settling in Orwell township, where he practiced his profession,
and preached for a time. In 1822 he came to Monroe and purchased what is now the
W. W. Decker property. He resided in the town and practiced medicine for some
thirty years, then removed