What is now Overton was a great and unexplored wilderness in Luzerne county, when Daniel Heverly carved his way hither and made the first settlement in 1810. Before this date, the foot of white man had scarcely trod any part of this extensive domain.
Daniel Heverly, a Pennsylvania German, born in 1764, having been induced by the extraordinary opportunities offered in the "new country," sold the old homestead in Lehigh county for nine hundred pounds, Pennsylvania currency, and arranged for his emigration. Accordingly, in 1806, with his wife, five sons and two daughters, a heavy covered wagon, loaded with household goods and light farming implements, two horses, two cows and some young stock, he set out to find the rich lands, "flowing in milk and honey." His route was by the way of Williamsport, thence up Lycoming Creek to Canton, where he found Jacob Granteer, another German, with whom he remained several days. Proceeding down Towanda Creek, when near Greenwood, where John Schrader lived, his team got fast in the mud. A passerby informed Schrader that "there was a Dutchman stuck in the mud and needed assistance." Schrader, being a German and well disposed toward one of his kind, took his team and relieved the unfortunate pilgrim and offered him entertainment. Learning that his guest had a "long sock" full of glittering pieces, Schrader’s oily tongue run freely and pictured Heverly in "the land of promise," with gold enough to make him prince of all. Heverly drank his flattery, contracted with him to work his farm and remained.
After working for Schrader two or three years, upon the location of the old Berwick & Elmira turnpike, Heverly contracted to build several sections of the road, which passed through Southern Bradford. He was well pleased with the land which he found in the Overton basin, and thinking that the country would soon be settled along this road, he took up a tract of 640 acres. He had been told that the same was vacant land, and that it was only necessary for him to survey and occupy it to hold it. Heverly, with the aid of his sons, fulfilled his part of the contract in building the road, but is said to have been cheated out of most of his pay. Schrader also took advantage of his credulity and generous nature and swindled him out of much of his money.
Heverly built a log house and moved in with his family in 1810. His cabin stood at the southern end of the orchard on the place of Ms. Angeline Heverly, near the road. He made the first clearing opposite the Conklin house, on lands of now Francis Osthaus. Thinking these lands too wet to produce well, he soon after commenced other clearings farther north, on the opposite side of the road. Here, after having cleared away the timber and brush, he set out the first orchard in Overton, some of the trees of which are still bearing fruit. In the midst of many surrounding dangers, this bold pioneer lived, 14 miles from his nearest accessible neighbor. There were a few settlers over in Albany, but no means of forming an acquaintance, as there were no roads or paths between the two places. For three years Mrs. Heverly did not see a single female face, yet she was not disheartened or even thought of fleeing from the lonely spot.
Learning that a family had settled over in Sullivan county, on what is known as the Wanck place, Mr. Heverly and his wife set out one Sunday through the woods in quest of their new neighbors. They found them comfortably situated in a little log house and were most gladly welcomed. While Mr. Wanck sat in the door entertaining his guest, a bear was discovered in a briar patch a short distance away. There was no gun at hand, and the game was deemed too valuable to let escape. Heverly said he thought he could bring the beast down with a stone and would make the trial at least. Creeping carefully along, he was nearly upon the bear before being discovered. Bruin rose up, gave a grunt, but in the next instant received a piece of rock against his head, which felled him to the earth. Heverly followed his advantage and soon pounded the life out of the bear.
When Mr. Heverly came to Overton the woods was full of wild beasts, panthers, bears and wolves, which were very troublesome. They frequently destroyed his sheep, calves and hogs, but whenever he got a chance at them, their lives paid the penalty for their depredations. Not infrequently would Heverly and his boys tree a panther. Should they thus bring their wily foe at bay at nightfall, they would build a fire at the base of the tree and keep it burning all night, so as to keep him from escaping, when upon the dawn of morning they would bring him down with a rifle ball. Near where Fred Heverly now lives, Heverly discovered a bear in a hemlock tree, and having no gun with him opened battle with stones. One well sent struck bruin on the head and brought him to the ground, where he was quickly dispatched with a club.
Mr. Heverly after a few years built a second log house, near the present residence of Mrs. Angeline Heverly, and lived there several years. Subsequently he erected a double hewed-log house on the "Four Corners," a few rods below the second one, over a spring. Here he lived the remainder of his days. Mr. Heverly soon made an opening in the wilderness, and his first crops met the requirements of the family. Altogether, he cleared some sixty-five or seventy acres. He occupied his lands unmolested until 1827, when they were sold for taxes and bought by Dr. Weston of Towanda. Weston’s tax-title was subsequently bought by Daniel Heverly, 2nd, thus securing an undisputed title to the whole. Mr. Heverly gave his improvements to his son Daniel (upon the payment of a certain amount to the heirs), who transferred the title to his son, Eli, whose widow now occupies the place.
Mr. Heverly possessed all the characteristics of the ideal pioneer. He was courageous, could endure privations and hardships without becoming disheartened, and was resourceful in providing for every emergency. Though not a large man, he was in many respects a very remarkable man. He stood about five feet seven, had a well-knit frame and weighed 160 pounds. He was athletic and knowing no fear, unfortunate was the victim that stirred his ire. At the age of sixty years he would place his hands upon a horse’s hips and spring astraddle his back. He was a Hercules in strength, as the following will illustrate. About the year 1815 John D. Saunders erected a saw-mill on the South Branch of Towanda Creek. All the strong men for many miles around were at the raising to put the heavy timbers in place. As was common, in those days, a lifting contest was engaged in. Heverly outlifted every other man present, and one heavy timber was raised only by Amasa Kellogg besides himself.
Heverly had the true German grit and when thoroughly fired feared neither man nor beast. One Baker was well pleased with some of the lands claimed by Heverly, and concluded he would occupy them. He had been advised not to do so as the "old gentleman," then 70, would be after him. Baker only laughed at the old man’s bravery, and boastingly remarked that "if he scared him he would only have one more to scare and that would be the devil." Baker began chopping on the old gentleman’s possession. He only began, for as soon as the venerable German discovered him, he armed himself with a knot, and told bravo to move to other quarters, and curious to say, he did not wait for a second invitation. The old hero concluded that the devil was not a very brave being, if he could not demonstrate more pluck than one of his imps.
Heverly was a genius. He had learned the art of weaving, and when he came to Overton he brought his loom with him, manufacturing the cloth for his own and other families. He was also something of a tailor and made his own clothes. He had a knowledge of surgery, and whenever an accident happened in the neighborhood he was called to set the broken bones. For years he was the only person in the settlement, who could thus go to the relief of an unfortunate neighbor. With a butcher-knife and saw he manufactured the window sash for his house, and in many other ways exercised his ingenuity. He had a pretty good education in German, and sang with comforting satisfaction.
"Grandfather Heverly," as he was commonly known, had a great pride in raising fruit, and when the families following him, came in, his orchard bore apples, peaches, plums and cherries in great abundance. He was generous to a fault, and would not only ask the neighbors for miles around to come and eat cherries and fruit with him, but would tell them to take what they wanted. After he had gathered his fruit, when the boys and girls, of whom he was very fond, would call to see him, he would invite them to go up stairs and help themselves to apples. The last years of his life he lived alone, and one of his greatest pleasures was the visits of young people, whom he always made happy by some little gift. He learned to speak English, but was "very dutchy" to those who remember him. He never wore whiskers, and his grandson, Daniel Heverly, in his later years, is said to bear a very striking resemblance to him.
Like all men, Mr. Heverly was not without his faults. His German temper and determined will sometimes led him to be severe with his family, but when the storm had passed he made proper amends for his conduct. He was noted for his benevolence and honesty. Generally too credulous, he was sometimes taken advantage of by unprincipled men. His career is most interesting, and Daniel Heverly must be remembered as one of the truest and most heroic pioneers of Northern Pennsylvania. He died March 29, 1844, aged 80 years.
Many years before moving to Bradford county, Mr. Heverly had married Miss Catharine Ott, a lady of many excellent qualities. She was a neat and dutiful housewife, sharing the privations and hardships of her husband, like a heroine, with true Christian fortitude. Among other things, she had a fondness for flowers, and her flower-beds were things of beauty. Her handsomely decorated dishes, which she had brought from Lehigh county, were the admiration of the neighborhood, and used with great care. Mrs. Heverly is remembered as being tall and of good form. "Aunt Betsy" Streevy says: "When ‘old mother Heverly’ died I felt very sad, and when we buried her it seemed as if I were attending the funeral of my own mother." Her demise occurred January 20, 1831, at the age of 67 years. The children of Daniel and Catharine Heverly were—Betsy, Catharine, Hannah, John, Daniel, Jacob, Christian and Henry, all of whom were born in Lehigh county.
Betsy Heverly married Leonard Streevy in Lehigh county, subsequently moved to Overton with her family and died there, June 1, 1827.
Hannah Heverly came to Bradford county with her parents and while living with them at Greenwood married Jacob Granteer of Canton. Her children were—Eli, Electa (Mrs. Ozias Kilburn), and three others, who died in childhood. She died at Canton about 1819, and is buried, in the old cemetery on the Granteer farm.
Catharine Heverly came to Bradford county with her parents, and while living at Greenwood married John Granteer, brother of Jacob, of Canton. Her children were—Betsy (Mrs. Philander Case), Horinda (Mrs. Samuel Conklin), Catharine (Mrs. William Wilcox), Nancy (Mrs. Jesse Conklin) and Henry. She died at Canton in 1831, and is buried in the old cemetery with her sister.
John Heverly was born in Lehigh county, March 14, 1788, and came to Bradford county with his parents in 1806. He worked with his father upon the old turnpike, and upon locating in Overton, assisted him in making a break in the wilderness. He took up lands now included in the farms of Mahlon Chase and Mrs. Arvilla Carner. On April 4, 1816, he was united in marriage with Miss Almira, daughter of Amasa and Eunice Kellogg of Monroe. At the time of his marriage he had about four acres cleared. The next year thereafter he built a log house, moving into it before it had either doors or glazed windows, hanging up sheets to keep out the rain and snow. Mr. Heverly was required to go as far as Mr. Woodruff’s, below Monroeton, to get sufficient help to raise his house. This building stood two or three rods back of the framed house, yet standing on the place, which he erected in 1838 and occupied until his death.
Mr. Heverly was a pioneer, indeed. When there was only a foot-path and glazed trees to mark the way, he went to Muncy, a distance of 35 miles, on horse-back to mill. His trip required a space of two days and he carried provisions with him to eat on the road. The woods were full of wolves, and after Mr. Heverly began housekeeping, many were the nights, that he and his wife were kept awake by these grey denizens. The brutes would gather in the swamps nearby, and so numerous were they that "they fairly made the glass in the windows shake with their hideous howls." To Mr. And Mrs. Heverly, in their lonely abode, this was most unwelcome music and horrifying even to those possessed of the stoutest heart.
Mr. Heverly paid as high as two dollars per pound for tea and went to Meansville (Towanda) after it. He worked out a great deal in the vicinity of Greenwood and Monroeton, and was sometimes short of provisions. Amasa, his eldest child, says: "I remember when for a period of three or for days our only food was baked potatoes; father was away earning flour. After a time father managed to raise a beef each year. The hide was taken to Irvine’s tannery at Towanda and manufactured into leather. Our eyes sparkled with gladness when the leather was ready for father, that he might make our winter shoes. Deer were very plentiful, and father was only required to take his gun with him when he went after the cows to kill enough to keep us in meat." One day Mr. Heverly’s dogs treed four panthers, an old female and her three whelps. He succeeded in killing them all, though he had to dispatch the fourth with a club, his ammunition having given out.
John Heverly was a quiet, fair-minded citizen, who never meddled with the affairs of his neighbors. His time was diligently spent upon his farm, which was nearly all improved at the time of death. Before the close of the War of 1812 he was drafted, but never called out. Mr. Heverly was a Christian, and a man whose integrity was never questioned. He departed this life, August 11, 1864, in his 77th year.
|John Heverly||Almira Kellogg|
Amasa, born April 11, 1817; married Betsy Ann Betts; died April 29, 1888, in New Albany, Pa.
James, born September 3, 1819; married Sally Rinebold; died October 19, 1866, in Overton.
Eunice, born February 6, 1822; married George Irvine of Monroe; died August 14, 1903, at Liberty Corners, Pa.
Catharine, born November 26, 1824; married Gideon Boyles; died October 20, 1856, in Overton.
Maria, born July 12, 1827; married Solomon Wayman; died September 29, 1886, at New Albany, Pa.
Orlando, born November 26, 1829; married Hannah Warren; died November 15, 1891, at Tekamah, Neb.
Adeline, born February 21, 1832; married Sophronus Paris; living at Tekamah, Neb.
Almira, born May 1, 1834; married Orange M. Chase; died March 7, 1885, at Overton.
Oliver Delanson, born October 6, 1832; married Sarah Tompkins; died September, 1906, at Craig, Neb.
Mary Ann, born February 24, 1839; married George B. Neal; died April 17, 1878, in Towanda, Pa.
Daniel Heverly, born in 1795, came to Bradford county with his parents. His boyhood days were spent in the same manner as were his brother John’s. When becoming a young man he took up land included in the farm of his son, Daniel, began a clearing and erected a little log house, which stood on the present site of Daniel Heverly’s horse-barn. He had learned the trade of millstone cutter, and worked with the Northrups over on Millstone Run for some time, getting out mill-stones.
Mr. Heverly was quite a noted hunter, and is said to have been a "dead shot" on deer. He killed many panthers and bears, and had many narrow escapes in his encounters with wild beasts. On one occasion he came upon a large bear. He fired, but only wounded the animal. A fierce battle at once ensued between his dog and the bear. Before he could re-load the bear had got the advantage, and not wishing to lose his dog, he ran up to the bear and caught him by the hind legs to draw him off. The bear then turned upon him and he fought him off as best he could, till the dog could again close in by a new hold on the bear’s heels. Thus the battle went on for some time until the courageous hunter was nearly exhausted. Finally, their struggles brought them near an old tree, when Heverly seized a hemlock knot and dealt the bear several lusty blows across the head, ending the contest.
Once Mr. Heverly’s little dog saved him from destruction by a panther. At the time of the circumstance, he was living where his son, Daniel, now does. He had borrowed his father’s oxen to go to the mill, but did not reach home until after dark. Having returned his father’s oxen, before leaving his barn, he lighted a straw torch that he might avoid getting into the mud, as he had to cross the swamp between the two places. By the time he had reached the swamp. The torch had burned low. Hearing a jump behind him, he turned around and as he did so, was compelled to drop the torch, as it had burned to his hand. The remaining fragments gave one more flash, and he beheld a ferocious beast with large, glaring eyes before him. He was terribly frightened, but had presence of mind enough not to take his eyes off the dreaded beast. He called to his dogs, but they did not distinguish his voice. Again and again, he called, and finally the little dog made such a fuss that Mrs. Heverly let him out. He was soon to his master, and stood by him, keeping us such a lively barking that the panther finally walked off. The beast had evidently followed Heverly some distance, but did not dare attack him while he was with the oxen or had fire in his hand.
In 1918, Mr. Heverly married Hattie Talady, but their domestic relations not proving harmonious, they separated. Subsequently, in 1821, he was united in he was united in marriage with Miss Magdalene Wilt of Lehigh county. Their house was always a home for the new comers, until they could get started for themselves. Mr. Heverly had a pride in his fruit, and was generous. Not unlike many persons of his time, he was superstitious and a strong believer in witches. He also had his mineral bottle and sought for fabled treasurers. He firmly believed that the Overton hills were full of gold, silver and other minerals. He dug numerous pits, but never realized his fanciful dreams.
Mr. Heverly was naturally ingenious. He purchased a second-hand set of blacksmith tools, erected a small shop near his house, and did "considerable tinkering," which was a great accommodation to the people at that time, as they were required to go over to Matthews’s, near Greenwood, to get their plow-points sharpened, tools repaired, etc. He manufactured pine shingles, and drew to Monroe and Towanda, where he exchanged them for merchandise.
Mr. Heverly was a ready conversationalist, and had a fondness in rehearsing old-time events for the entertainment of his friends. He was a large land owner, and at one time had fully 800 acres. He gave each of his daughters a farm of 50 acres, and his sons the same or more. He occupied his first place some thirty-five years, then sold to his son, Daniel, and moved to the farm now occupied by his son Jacob’s heirs, where he died February 11, 1874, aged 79 years. He was an honest man, and member of the M. E. church.
Mrs. Heverly, known as "Aunt Modaline," was a quiet soul of kindly nature.
She was a model housewife, "famed for the "good things" she prepared for
|Daniel Heverly and Magdalene Wilt|
Her unexcelled bread and luscious honey were a luxury that made many a youth smack his lips with joy and wish that such a good woman might never die. About her home were beautiful flowers of many varieties, which were nourished with great care. She was truly a good woman, a faithful member of the Lutheran church, and was loved and esteemed by all who knew her. Her death occurred August 29, 1870 aged 80 years. The children of Daniel and Magdalene Heverly were—
Catharine, born January 18, 1822; married Reuben Rinebold; died March 18, 1867.
Elizabeth, born June 29, 1823; married Sylvester Chapman; died May 2, 1897.
Eli, born February 20, 1825; married Angeline Rinebold; died January 16, 1869.
Hannah, born February 22, 1827; married first William Waltman, second Jeremiah Kilmer, third Ezekiel D. Jones; died November 5, 1905.
Daniel, born October 25, 1828; married Jane Elizabeth Heverly; both living after a married life of sixty years. Handwritten note: Died Sept. 8, 1918.
Henry, born December 16, 1830; married Lovina Hottenstein; died April 22, 1863.
Jacob, born October 16, 1832; married Mary Dimock; died March 16, 1909.
Mary Ann, the youngest, died in the 40’s aged about 6 years.
Jacob Heverly, born in 1797, came to Overton with his parents. Being crippled by lameness, he learned the trade of shoe-making and was reputed a good workman. He took up lands now occupied by Fred Heverly, and erected a log house. Securing the services of Moses and Ezra Kellogg of Monroe, he had about fourteen acres cleared. He was unmarried, and lived upon the place until the summer of 1826, when he took the fever and died. His was the first funeral sermon preached in Overton.
Christian Heverly, born September 9, 1800, was ten years old
when he came to Overton with his parents. He, too, passed through the exciting
scenes of a pioneer boy. The following will illustrate: "His father kept
a couple of bear dogs and two or three guns. The woods were full of wild
beasts and the cattle roamed in the woods. It was the duty of one of the
boys to take a gun and the dogs, before evening, find the cows and bring
them in. On the occasion mentioned in the narrative it fell upon Christian
to go in search of the stock. He had only reached a short distance from
the clearing, when the dogs came upon a large bear and ran him up a tree.
Christian was young and timid, and, accordingly, moved with caution, now
knowing what sort of game he was going to find. Bruin is discovered and
the lad got in position to fire. Resting his fun, he pulled the trigger
and down came the huge beast. The father having heard the dogs, knew by
their barking that they had treed a bear, and fearing that the boy might
make bad work of it, took a second gun and hastened to the tumultuous spot.
Coincidentally he fired at the very moment as did the boy. Both balls had
penetrated the beast, but had not produced the desired effect. When Burin
struck the ground the dogs rushed upon him, one of which he seized in his
powerful arms and began squeezing his life out. Not wishing to be deprived
of his fighter, Mr. Heverly pulled his hunting knife and took a hand in
the battle. Burin fought desperately and the old hunter gave him several
lunges, fairly cutting his vitals away before he would release the dog.
The bear was killed, but the dog received injuries from which he never
|Christian Heverly||Hannah Warren|
In 1819 Mr. Heverly married Hannah Warren of Sullivan county, and began life for himself upon a tract of land now occupied by B. J. Hausknecht. He built a log house near a spring, below the orchard yet standing on the place. Here he lived until 1836, when he erected his framed house—the first in the township—and began living therein. Mrs. Heverly died in July, 1821, and her remains were taken to the Warren homestead on an ox-sled for interment. The roads were too rough to allow the passage of a wagon at that time. On November 27, 1922, Mr. Heverly was united in marriage with Miss Martha, daughter of Philip and Martha Kilmer of Fox, Sullivan county.
The house of Christian and Martha Heverly was the home for the Methodist preachers, both being church members of that denomination. "Aunt Martha," as she was commonly called, was a very neat housekeeper, and Mr. Heverly had a commendable pride in keeping everything in order about the place. His buildings were the neatest and best in the neighborhood. In 1832 he erected the first framed barn in the township.
Mr. Heverly was very industrious. He cleared up a large and handsome farm, which he occupied until his death. He was very liberal, enjoyed company and took delight in spinning his yarns. He had a fine orchard of cherry and apple trees, some of which yet bear fruit. He was a man of much pride, inclined to egotism, but was public spirited, and a worthful and highly respected citizen. He died December 27, 1860, in his 61st year. His wife, Martha, born February 16, 1801, was an excellent Christian lady, highly esteemed by all; she died June 15, 1873.
Unto Christian and Hannah Heverly one child was born: William L., born October 27, 1820; married Almira Old; died in Towanda, Pa., June 23, 1894.
The children of Christian and Martha Heverly were:
Hannah, born September 20, 1825; married 1st Samuel Annable, 2nd Eldaah Landon; died November 6, 1904, at Canton Pa.
Martha, born February 9, 1828; married Myron Annable; died July 15, 1852, at Canton, Pa.
Catharine, born July 9, 1830; married Horatio G. Ladd; died September 18, 1882, at New Albany, Pa.
Celinda, born April 21, 1833; married Edward Rinebold; living in Towanda, Pa. Handwritten note: Died, October 27, 18917.
Christian LeRoy, born June 8, 1935; married 1st Harriet Heverly, 2nd Eliza Place, 3rd Lydia Crandall; died February 28, 1910, at New Albany, Pa.
Three other children were born, but died young.
Henry Heverly, born November 24, 1803, came to Overton when a
child with his parents. His boyhood days were spent upon his father’s farm.
When a lad, his father used to take him with him in his searches for the
cows, as he had better hearing and could hear the tinkle of the cow-bell.
After he had learned the woods he was sent alone. On January 7, 1823, Mr.
Heverly was joined in marriage with Miss Rosina Kilmer of Fox, Sullivan
county. The wedding was held at the home of the bride’s parents. Ezra Kellogg
went after the minister, Rev. Daniel Wilcox, who performed the marriage
ceremony. A supper was furnished on the occasion, and in the evening a
|Rosina Kilmer||Henry Heverly|
Mr. Heverly was noted for his great strength. He was quiet, and never at variance with his neighbors. He gave his time to the improvement of his farm, which was one of the best in the neighborhood. He and his wife were two of the original members of the Methodist society formed in Overton. His death occurred September 5, 1871, aged 68 years. Mrs. Heverly, born January 1, 1803, was a devout Christian, kind mother and neighbor; she was the last survivor of the Overton pioneers. She died January 23, 1889, aged 86 years. The children of Henry and Rosina Heverly were:
Hannah, born January 1, 1824; married John Molyneux; died January 12, 1901.
Henry, born April 27, 1827; married Louisa Chilson; died July 9, 1898.
William, born July 9, 1829; married Olive Corbin; living in Forks township.Handwritten note: Died August 21, 1916.
Rosina, born July 3, 1832; married Reuben Camp.
Angelina, born September 23, 1836; married William J. Hottenstein; died March 12, 1898.
Hester Ann, born February 14, 1840; married Dr. John M. Heacock; living at Dushore, Pa.
Alexander Chauncy, born November 9, 1845; married Elizabeth Place; living at Overton. Handwritten note: Died April 11, 1936.
The settlement formed by Daniel Heverly and his sons was a noted one, and was known, for half a century as the "Heverly settlement".
Heverly Family History.
When the Heverly family came from Germany to Pennsylvania has not been determined. The ancestor of the branch, settling in Overton, was Adam Heverly, whose name is given in the early records as Heverly, Heberly and Haberly. On March 6, 1750, Adam Heverly took out a land warrant for 25 acres in Bucks county. During the French and Indian campaign Adam Haberly of Whitehall township, Northampton county, contributed for the use of the Province of Pennsylvania one draught horse, return of which was made June 3, 1758. In 1772 Adam Heverly is assessed in Whitehall, Northampton county, with a tax of 8?, 5s, 4d. In 1781 Adam Heberly is assessed as a resident of Macungie township, Northampton county, who on January 9, 1788, took out a land warrant for 116 acres of land in the said township of Macungie. During the Revolutionary war Adam Heberly was represented by a substitute in the Northampton county militia, 1871, commanded by Capt. Casper Greenamyer. The Adam Heverly, Heberly and Haberly, mentioned in the foregoing, are without doubt one and the same person. His known children were Daniel, Jacob, Adam, Philip and Ann Mary. There may have been others, possibly a Henry and John. In 1813, as shown by the Lehigh county records, Adam Heverly took out letters on the estate of Elizabeth Heverly. The said Elizabeth was evidently the wife of Adam Heverly, Sr.
DANIEL, removed to Overton, Bradford county, where his family history is given.
ADAM and JACOB evidently remained in Lehigh county, which had been formed from Northampton and the latter from Bucks.
ANN MARY married Christian Ruth and had sons Christian, Philip and Jacob. She died in Lehigh county.
PHILIP, who had learned tailoring when a young man, went to Schoharie county, N.Y., where he married Miss Polly Wright, the daughter of a prosperous innkeeper. While at Schoharie he built and operated a grist-mill. Subsequently he went to Mehoopany, Wyoming county, Pa., and ran a saw mill. Two years later he removed to Auburn, Susquehanna county, taking up a farm when that locality was a wilderness. Here he died in about 1853, in his 79th year, and his wife two years later also in her 67th year. The children of Philip and Polly Heverly were: George, Polly, Betsy, Susan, Sally Ann, Peggy, Philip, Jacob, Catherine, Daniel, John and Lovisa.
GEORGE married Betsy Dalton and occupied the homestead. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. His children were: Phoebe, married William Green; William, married Ann Tyler; Betsy, married Dr. Cornelius Lowe; Mary Ann, married 1st James Tyler, 2nd James Inman, 3rd John Sittser, 4th ____ Gregory.
POLLY (Mary) married Benjamin Van Nosdall.
BETSY (Elizabeth) married Abram Lott. Children: Lovisa, married Joseph Carlin; Betsy, married Mr. Lott; Polly, married Samuel Hyde; Eliza, married Daniel Devine; Milton, married Ann Maria Cool; James, married Miss Lowe; Charles; John.
SUSAN married George Devine of Rush. Children: Mary Ann, married Daniel Seeley; Sally, married Smith James, Daniel, married Eliza Lott; John, twice married, 2nd wife, Miss Carter; Parker, married 1st Miss Duell, 2nd Mary Terry; Norman, married Matsy Ann Carter; George.
SALLY ANN married Major John Fassett of Wyoming county. Children: Charles, married Mary Prentice; Lucia Maria died unmarried, age 80; Caroline, married Dr. J. W. Dennison; Emeline, married Stevens Dana; Sally Ann, married Joseph T. Jennings; George S., married Mary J. Vose; Alva, married Mary J. Kenney; John died, when a young man, unmarried.
PEGGY (Margaret) married John F. Dunmore of Rush. Had no children.
PHILIP removed to Overton, where his family history is given.
JACOB removed to Overton, where his family history is given.
CATHERINE married Morton Stevens; no children.
DANIEL died when a young man.
JOHN died in boyhood.
LOVISA married Nathan Green.
Frederick Kissell, a stone cutter by trade, came in from Schrader’s with Mr. Heverly in 1810. He "squatted" on a piece of land known as the McCann farm. He erected a log cabin near a spring, where there is a cluster of plum trees on the lower side of the road leading to Daniel Heverly’s. He cleared about five acres of land, then enlisted in the War of 1812, and served during the entire period of the same, when he returned and married Miss "Lockey" Clark. A son, John, was born to them in 1818. Kissell died in the spring of 1823, and was buried on a little ridge a short distance from his home, where he used to walk during his sickness. The grounds wherein his body is interred are said to have been selected for a burial by himself. His was the first grave in the township, although the first death was that of Mrs. Christian Heverly. Soon after his death, Mrs. Kissell went to Canada with her people, where she again married and never returned. The son, John, was brought up by Samuel Smith of Albany, and died a few years since in Herrick at an advanced age. Kissell was a worthy citizen, yet he liked his drinks and would sometimes over-indulge. "Grandfather Heverly" frequently secured his services as cook, and if liquor could be had, things became badly mixed in the culinary department. He had a machine for making ropes, which were then used instead of chains. Kissell was lame, and had the scar of a bayonet wound on his wrist. His by-word was "by-hedges."
Leonard Streevy, a German, who had married Betsy, daughter of Daniel Heverly, came to the township from Lehigh county about 1820. He located on land adjoining his father-in-law’s tract and made an improvement of about fourteen acres. His log house, with its huge stone chimney on the outside, stood in front of the present residence of Daniel Heverly, on lands of now his grandson, Edward Streevy, near the public highway. Mr. Streevy had a large family, but his children did not all come to the township with him. Betsy Heverly was his second wife, who he married some years before his migration to Overton. However, before locating in Bradford county, he had made a trip to Ohio with his family, intending to make "the West" his home. He remained about a year, then moved back to Lehigh county. His son, Isaac, was born in 1805, during his stay in Ohio.
In the summer of 1827, Mrs. Streevy died, and in the following year Mr. Streevy returned to Lehigh county, selling his improvements to his son, Isaac, who subsequently transferred the title to his son, Edward, who now occupies the place. Mr. Streevy had a great pride in his bees, and kept a number of skips. He was undoubtedly the first to introduce this industry into Overton. Isaac inherited his father’s fondness in this direction, and for years was known as "the greatest bee man in all the country round." Mr. Streevy died in his native county in 1829. By his former marriage, he had children: Thomas, Sally (Mrs. James Sniteman), George and Polly (Mrs. Julius Lockenbach).
The children of Leonard and Betsy Streevy were: Isaac, Betsy (died, unmarried, at 15 years), Nancy (Mrs. Ebaugh), Susan (Mrs. Daniel Kaufaman), John, Lydia (Mrs. Youel Miller), Catherine, Jacob, Hannah (died unmarried, at an advanced age), Shubina (Mrs. Guycoris), and Louisa, the youngest and only one living, born June 21, 1827, married William Kirkpatrick and resides at Titusville, Pa. Isaac, Jacob, John and Susan came to the township with their parents. The marriage of Susan to Daniel Kaufman in 1828 was the first in Overton.
Isaac Streevy having purchased his father’s farm, remained in the township and boarded with his uncle, Daniel Heverly, and "Grandfather Heverly," until 1830, when he was married to Miss Betsy, daughter of Christian Ruth, and moved into the log house, which his father had vacated. Here he lived for ten years, then erected a plank house, which stood nearly opposite the present residence of his son, Edward, and here resided until he built his new house. "Uncle Ike," as everybody called him, in beginning the scrabble of life for himself, set assiduously at work in clearing away the heavy timbers and preparing the soil for seed. His young and ambitious wife, who was blessed with an excellent physique, lent her willing hand in helping him log, pick and burn brush, frequently after night, reap grain, stack grain, make hay, etc. He cleared up his entire farm, which is now one of the most improved in the town, and spent his closing years in peace and plenty.
Mr. Streevy was a successful hunter and took great delight in reciting his "deer stories." However, he never wasted his time in the woods, only using his gun as necessity demanded to put in a supply of venison or a stock of peltry. He took great pride in keeping bees, and frequently had as many as seventy-five skips. He would do anything with them with uncovered hands and face without being stung, and was regarded as "a real bee-charmer." Many will long remember the "sweetness" that "Uncle Ike" used to furnish the young people, and "Aunt Betsy’s" wholesome bread and honey. For a number of years he manufactured cider for the people. He had a sweep-power and a beam-press. During the cider-making season his press was frequented by the boys of the neighborhood, whose wants were satisfied gratuitously.
Mr. Streevy was an honest man, careful in his business affairs. He did not envy his neighbor, but sought his friendship, and was glad to have them enjoy his hospitality. He delighted in reciting facts connected with his own life, and when a little animated made frequent use of the term, "By gollers." He was a highly respected citizen, and passed away September 24, 1880, at the age of 75 years and 24 days.
His wife, Betsy (Elizabeth) Ruth, was born July 24, 1800 in Lehigh county, Pa. She remained a maiden lady, until she came to Overton to visit her sister, Mrs. Jacob Hottenstein. Becoming acquainted with Isaac Streevy, a courtship followed and in the early spring of 1830 they were married --- theirs being the second wedding in the Heverly settlement. Beginning life, in the days of privation and struggle, not only was this good woman ever ready to assist her husband, but her usefulness extended to the whole community. In sickness she was always ready to give her gentle hand to the care of the afflicted, and anything that she could do to better their feelings was not withheld. She never did anything in word or deed to incur the displeasure of her neighbors, and all enjoyed her company and hospitality. "Aunt Betsey’s" garden, like her sister’s, (Mrs. Hottenstein) was a model, and her flower beds were much admired. Early in life she jointed the German Reformed church, in which she ever remained a devoted and consistent member. Of the original German Reformed class in Overton, she was the last survivor. The last eighteen years of her life were pitiful, indeed, she being totally blind. But her affliction was patiently and uncomplainingly borne, death coming peacefully on August 10, 1886, and ending all her sufferings. The children of Isaac and Elizabeth Streevy were:
Thomas, born January 2, 1831; married Caroline Bleiler; died December 8, 1907.
Phian, born March 2, 1833; married Peter Sherman; died May 2, 1862.
John, born January 7, 1836; married Maria Crandall; resides in Albany township. Died January 2, 1918.
Edward, born October 15, 1840; married Mary Christman; occupied the homestead. Died March 4, 1918.
John Streevy, born March 27, 1814, remained with his grandfather Heverly, upon the return of his father to Lehigh county. After the marriage of his brother, Isaac, he made his home with him until 1833, when he married Mary Staley, and soon thereafter began improvements and erected a log house on the Reuben Musselman farm. After a few years he sold his improvements to Cornelius Maloney, and moved to the place now occupied by Joseph Deiffenbaugh, and there resided until the time of his death---December 31, 1881. For many years Mr. Streevy worked at the trade of carpenter-and-joiner, and acquired proficiency in the use of tools. He was a natural mechanic and worked his own way up without an instructor. He had no knowledge of mathematics, and it seemed very remarkable that he should be able from his square to determine the exact length of a brace or rafter. Several of the houses and barns yet standing in Overton were built by him.
"Uncle John," as he was familiarly known, was the violinist of earlier days and furnished music for the young people at their parties. He was a quiet, well-disposed man, much esteemed by his neighbors. Mary, or "Polly" Streevy, as she was commonly known, was born October 18, 1814, and died December 16, 1855. She was a lady kind in sickness, and greatly enjoyed the association of friends. The children of John and Mary Streevy were:
Alfred, born April 12, 1837; married lst Mary Moon, 2nd Lovina (Hottenstein) Heverly; died May 15, 1892.
Wilson, who married Hannah Munch; died December 3, 1895, aged 56 years.
Henry, who was unmarried, enlisted in the service of his country and was killed May 3, 1863, at Chancellorsville, age 19 years.
William married, and is living in the west.
Charles, born November 27, 1847, married Catherine Garlough; died September 14, 1907.
Elizabeth married George Essenwine and resides in Towanda.
Jacob Streevy returned with his father to Lehigh county
and there learned the trade of blacksmith. In 1839 he came back to Bradford
county and worked at this trade in different sections, until 1852, when
he opened a shop on the place opposite Fred Haverly’s. He moved to Dushore
in 1856, and followed blacksmithing and hotel keeping until 1874, when
he removed to the state of Washington, where he died about 1894, aged 80
years. He married first Lucy Brown; children---Lyman, Louise (Mrs. W. A.
Cramer), Mary E. (Mrs. W. E. Griggs), Lizzie (Mrs. Dorsey Griggs), Laura
(Mrs. A. L. Matthews), Hattie (Mrs. W. J. Murray); second wife, Eliza Jackson
of Dushore, by whom he had three children.
|Henry Sherman, a native of Mifflin, Pa., came to Overton from Columbia county in 1824. He made the journey on foot by the way of Kizer’s and Ellis’s with his wife, one child (George) and a sister, Beckie Sherman, afterwards Mrs. Daniel Garlough. He carried the gun and his wife the baby, and vice versa. Mr. Sherman had been induced to this locality by his father-in-law, George Hunsinger, who was living on Ringer Hill in Sullivan county. He took up his abode, for a time, with Daniel Heverly 2d, until he could prepare a home of his own. He "squatted" upon lands south of Overton village, and subsequently held 200 acres by "right of possession." He built a log house, like those of the pioneers generally, with a puncheon floor and bark roof, furnished with domestic articles of his own manufacture. This log cabin stood by a spring in Sullivan county, about twenty-five rods from Black creek. Mr. Sherman lived here about ten years, then built a second log house in the vale below Overton village, near the old road and about twenty-five rods from the creek. This building stood in Overton township.|
George, married and lived in one of the other counties.
Daniel, married Lorinda Larabee, removed West and served in the Civil War.
Amos died in his young manhood, unmarried.
Mary, married Charles Brown of Hillsgrove, Pa.
Peter, married lst Phian Streevy, 2nd Elizabeth Hatch; died March 6, 1891, aged 58 years.
Jacob, born November 2, 1834; married Hannah Musselman; died March 11, 1905.
Mrs. Sherman died in 1834, and in 1836 Mr. Sherman married Elizabeth Thrash, who as "Betsy" Sherman will long be remembered as the good Samaritan, always ready and administering to the needs of the afflicted. She regarded it as a duty to visit and comfort the sick, and would leave her bed at any time of night to assist her neighbors. Mr. Sherman died May 14, 1878, aged 78 years, and his wife, Elizabeth, March 5, 1881, in her 63ed year. Unto Henry and Elizabeth Sherman were born:
Catherine, married A. K. Woodley.
Nelson, born October 12, 1838; married Margaret Rowe. (Died May 24, 1912.)
William, married Emily Molyneux.
Loretta, married Augustus Bleiler.
John, died unmarried in his 37th year.
Moses, married and lives in Michigan.
Caroline, married Albert Molyneux.
Andrew, married Nettie Hottenstein.
Ann, married and lives in the West.
Edward, married Della Bahr.
Seven other children died in infancy, thus Mr. Sherman was the father of twenty-three children, a record that has never been equaled by any other man in Overton.
Philip Heverly, son of Philip and Polly (Wright) Heverly, born March 19, 1803, came to the township in the spring of 1827 from Auburn, Susquehanna county, having been induced hither by his cousins. He purchased the improvements made by his cousin, Jacob Heverly, of "Grandmother" Heverly for $50, he having left by bequest his property to his mother. Soon after Philip came in he married Miss Anna Kellogg, a sister of Mrs. John Heverly, and began housekeeping in the log cabin, which had been erected and occupied by his cousin. After about a year and a half domestic relations between Mr. Heverly and his wife became unpleasant and occasioned a separation. He returned to Susquehanna county, where he remained two years, then came back and married Catherine Thrasher. He built a log house a few rods above Fred Haverly’s upper barn, and took up his abode there in 1834. Here he lived for a short time, then sold out his interest to his brother, Jacob, and moved to Sullivan county, near Dushore, where he died January 1, 1880. He was an honest and industrious man and worthful citizen. His wife, Catherine, born August 8, 1800, died June 8, 1873. Their children were:
Solon, born June 24, 1835; married Caroline Graff; died June 29, 1898.
Reuben, born June 23, 1836; married Elizabeth Graff; occupies the homestead.
Barbara Ann, born January 28, 1838; died unmarried, August 19, 1869.
Henry, born January 17, 1839; died August 18, 1854.
|Jacob Heverly, a son of Philip and Polly (Wright) Heverly, born February 6, 1805, in Schoharie county, N.Y., having married and previously visited the "Heverly settlement," concluded to move into the wilderness with his young wife and take his chances with his brother in earning a fortune. Accordingly, taking such household goods as he had in a lumber wagon, he started with his wife and horses from auburn, Susquehanna county, and reached "the settlement" about the middle of February, 1828, and moved in with his brother.|
As soon as Mr. Heverly had located he set assiduously at work in falling the huge hemlocks and making ready for seed. Soon he had let the sunshine smile upon many acres, from which he reaped the golden grain, that always seemed to yield in abundance. "A failure was not known." He was rewarded in his first harvest by 400 bushels of wheat, oats and rye, which he threshed by hand. Wheat was then worth $1.00 per bushel, rye 50 cents and oats 25 cents. He cleared about en acres per year, and generally sowed to rye, as he had better luck with that grain than wheat. He harvested as many as fifty bushels of rye from a seeding of two. He contracted with agent Mix for 400 acres of land, which he occupied, and by unremitting toil, careful management and the favor of good luck, soon satisfied the $1,050 debt. By his own industry, he cleared fully 200 acres of his farm. He was a man proverbially up with the sun, did his chores before breakfast and then was off to the fields or the woods, where his time was spent diligently until the dinner call brought him from his labors. After his "hour’s nooning" he again returned to his work. He did his chores before dark, ate his supper and retired early. He had a great fondness for mush and milk, which usually constituted his evening meal.
He always put in a store of cider for winter, and during the long evenings enjoyed his glass and rolls of fried-cakes. All were welcome to share the fruits of his table, which was liberally provided. "Uncle Jake," as he was commonly known, took great pride in his porkers, and raised the largest and fattest hogs in the neighborhood. His stock was the best kept, and his sleek oxen were generally driven to church instead of his horses. His barns were always well stored with hay and grain and the people when out of provender, came to him for miles around. In short, Mr. Heverly was the most successful farmer of the pioneers and always had more than enough. He was a man of wonderful physique, and cleared more acres than any other man in Overton township. For about a year and a half he lived with his brother, Philip, then occupied the new log house, built by the latter, which stood in the field, some rods above Fred Haverly’s upper barn. Here he dwelt until the erection of his plank house, in which he spent his last days; it is yet standing and is the home of his son, Fred.
Mr. Heverly was the last of the heroic fathers, who struck the first blows for civilization in the township of Overton. He was a true pioneer and bore his part most nobly. He was a man pleasant in demeanor and slow to anger, disclosing a strong and fearless will power when thoroughly aroused. He was frugal, and none ever questioned his honesty. As a father, he was kind and indulgent, and never was he guilty of the use of improper language in the hearing of his children. He was much esteemed by his neighbors, enjoyed their confidence and was frequently called by them to fill places of trust and honor, always performing his duties with fidelity. In politics he took a deep interest, being originally a Democrat, but changed to Whig in 1840 and became a Republican in 1856. He never missed a township or general election. Mr. Heverly’s power of endurance was remarkable, always working, but seldom tired and never sick. Up to the time of his demise, he was never required to call a physician nor confined to the house a whole day by sickness. The activity of his mental powers was equally wonderful. On the 2nd of April, 1886, the summons came suddenly, and he died without pain or the utterance of a word.
On December 9th, 1827, Mr. Heverly was united in marriage with Miss Mary, daughter of Larry and Irene (Fairchilds) Dunmore of Susquehanna county. Mrs. Heverly, though a woman weak in body but of stout heart, faced the dangers and privations in the wilderness, unfalteringly, and performed her part admirably. She was an exceptionally good lady of endearing qualities and womanly virtues. Her character was spotless and all spike of her in words of praise. She was an ardent Christian, and was wont to repair to her closet daily and pray in secret. She attended Sunday services regularly, sometimes walking, but usually rode her bay pony, "Sal," taking a couple of the children on with her. Rev. Charles Wright, who preached her funeral sermon, in conversation with us, thus referred to her: "Mary Heverly was one of the best women I ever knew; she was of the salt of the earth. Her house was always a home for the ministers. My soul was sore with sadness when I was called to pronounce her eulogy." "Aunt Charlotte" Ormsby paid this tribute: "I loved to visit Mrs. Heverly; she was an excellent Christian lady. She used to stop by the road-side, when overcome by fatigue, and read her Bible while on her road to meeting. She was not a strong woman." Mrs. Heverly took great interest in the rearing of her children, and installed in their minds principles, which being forth golden fruits. She was born September 12, 1805, departed this life, October 20, 1842. The children of Jacob and Mary Heverly were:
Curtis Russell, born August 8, 1830; married Mary Musselman; died December 1, 1905, at Macon City, Mo.
Jane Elizabeth, born September 19, 1834; married June 30, 1850 to Daniel Haverly by Justice James Heverly; living on the farm in Overton, where the sixty years of her married life have been spent.
Harriet Ladorska, born October 1, 1836; married LeRoy Heverly; died April 5, 1857, in Overton.
Minerva Paulina, born June 20, 1838; married November 19, 1856 to Rev. Parker J. Gates; celebrated her golden wedding in 1906; resides in Staten Island, N.Y. (Died February 10, 1922.)
In 1843 Jacob Heverly married for his second wife, Mrs. Almira (Betts) Haines. Their children were:
Mary Ann, born September 1, 1844; married Alexander Lane, resides at Burlington, Pa.
Jennie, born January 26, 1846; married a Mr. Craig; died in March, 1894, in Ohio.
Their marriage relations not proving harmonious, Mr. and Mrs. Heverly separated. In 1848, Mr. Heverly again married, his third wife being Mrs. June R. (Dunmore) Riley, a sister of his first wife. Their children were:
Jacob Fred, born October 20, 1849; married Miss Amanda Brown; occupies the homestead. (Died April 23)
Joseph Matthew, born December 27, 1853; married lst Miss Libbie Messersmith, 2nd Miss Anna Rollan; resides in Albany township.
Mrs. Jane R. Heverly, born June 9, 1815; died July 8, 1868.
Jacob Hottenstein came to Overton in 1829, where he was induced by the Heverlys, of whom he was a relative. Tradition has it that "his great-grandparents emigrated from Germany in 1711, and begin very poor, his great-grandfather was sold to pay their passage. It required seven years’ labor to liquidate the debt, when he was allowed his freedom. He sawed wood, earning money enough to buy seven pounds of tobacco, which he traded to the Indians for 400 acres of land, the same tract yet being occupied by the Hottensteins in Berks county, Pa." When Mr. Hottenstein was a child his parents removed to Lehigh county, where he remained until the time of his pilgrimage to Overton. In 1819 he was united in marriage with miss Lydia, daughter of Christian Ruth, who was a nephew of Daniel Heverly (lst).
|Jacob Hotttenstein||Lydia Ruth|
Having heard most flattering reports of the "Heverly settlement," Mr. Hottenstein concluded to move hither and take his chances in the new country. But he was a poor man and had no team; accordingly, Daniel Heverly (2nd) was sent for to move him in. Heverly made the trip to Lehigh county with his horses and wagon in the fall of 1829. Upon reaching the settlement in October, Mr. Hottenstein found he had a wife, five children, a few household goods and $5.00 in cash. After he had selected a site, the neighbors turned out to assist him in putting up a log cabin; his family in the meantime remained at Heverly’s. He "squatted" upon lands now included in the farm of his son, John. He cabin was a one-story building, covered with clapboards and stood about fifteen rods west of where the residence of J. C. Hottenstein now is. Nowhere in the construction of the building was a mail used. The furniture was limited and of the rudest makeup. During the first winter of Mr. Hottenstein’s stay in his new home, he accidentally fell a tree upon his cabin. Fortunately, it was not crushed, but suffice it to say that the family was not a little frightened. For some time Mr. Hottenstein found pioneer life severe, indeed. His family must be fed, lands cleared and a team had. It was evident that success could not be earned in the wilderness without true manly courage and honest toil. So with true pluck be began his struggle in the wild woods for a livelihood.
To provide the wants of his family, he work in the vicinity of Monroeton and Towanda, and not infrequently after his day’s work, backed a grist to his family, a distance of twelve or fifteen miles, through an almost unbroken wilderness. His journey, which was generally after night, was beset with dangers—the woods then being full of wild beats. One night he was coming across the huckleberry mountain with his bag of corn upon his back, he heard the wolves upon his track. By making good speed, he reached that "Baker clearing" before the brutes could do him harm. In order to reach his work, in time again in the morning to get in a full day, he had to arise very early. He had no watch and could only tell the time by the rise of a certain star.
During the sugar making season he was required to go to Monroeton, to borrow a kettle, that he might also, have some of the sweet product. After a time Mr. Hottenstein had made some improvements and became the owner of an ox-team. He would go the "Forks" to mill with his oxen hitched to a crotched sapling, slabs being laid across the forks to contain the grain.
Mrs. Hottenstein shared her husband’s hardships, and helped him log, reap grain, stack grain, rake hay, make sugar, etc. She had an excellent physique and was capable of great endurance. In 1840 she and her daughter, Lydia, went on foot, a distance of 124 miles, to Lehigh county on a visit. They remained seven weeks and then walked back. Mrs. Hottenstein took great pride in her garden, which was a model, and in her beautiful beds of flowers.
The older children were girls, yet they did all they could to assist their parents. Caroline says: "When I was sixteen years old I went to mill, where Frank Hanon has since lived. I led the horse. There was only a single clearing between Overton and there." Lydia says: "Owls made the nights hideous by their screeches around us. One evening as I stepped to the cabin door to see if the cow was in the yard, I espied two dark objects sniffing around, and said, "what pretty dogs"! Before forming an intimate acquaintance, it was found that the dogs were wolves, but they scampered off without doing me harm. When thirteen years old, I was ‘mill-boy’ for father and Uncle Ike Streevy. Taking Mr. Streevy’s ‘old Nancy’ with a bag of grain upon her back, I, walking, made frequent trips to Molyneux’s mill, a distance of six miles through the woods. This journey of twelve miles was made in a day. Sometimes I went to Blackman’s mill in Monroe."
By the dint of hard work, Mr. Hottenstein cleared about fifty of the hundred acres occupied. Of the early settlers, he was the most literary personage. He had taught several terms of school in Lehigh county, and after coming to Overton kept a private school at Daniel Kaufman’s. In the winter of 1847 he went to Luzerne county and taught, as he did, in the next two winters succeeding. In 1845, through Mr. Hottenstein’s efforts, a Sabbath school was organized at the old school house, and a small library procured. He acted as superintendent for two or three years. Mr. Hottenstein not only taught the young the word of God, but expounded the Scriptures to the older, and furnished them with scriptural food. He was a local minister of the German Reformed denomination for several years. He took the first newspaper in the township, Der Unabhangig Republikaner (The Independent Repbulican), published in Lehigh county at Allentown. This was the only paper read in the township in 1829, and Mr. Hottenstein went regularly eight miles after it, through a pathless wilderness, the post-office then being on the line of the old turnpike, beyond Dushore.
Upon the organization of the township, Mr. Hottenstein was elected justice of the peace, and continued to hold the same office for a period of twenty-five years. Politically, Mr. Hottenstein was an active and uncompromising Democrat. His first vote for President was cast in 1820 for James Monroe and his last in 1880 for Gen. W. S. Hancock. The day following election, overcome with excitement and old age tightening her grasp, he was placed upon a sick bed, from which he never arose, the end coming peacefully. Jacob Hottenstein was born January 1, 1799; died November 6, 1880. His wife, Lydia Ruth, born March 25, 1797; died January 5, 1879. Their children were:
Sarah, born January 10, 1820; married George Munch, October 5, 1847; died June 6, 1903.
Caroline, born October 12, 1821; married Peter Mosier of Dushore; died January 18, 1892.
Lydia, born April 18, 1824; married Sylvester Covey; living in Terry township. (Died January 16, 1916.)
Mary Ann, born may 1, 1826; Overton’s pioneer milliner, covering a period of twenty-seven years; died, unmarried, July 8, 1897.
William J., born January 15, 1828; married Angeline Heverly, June, 1854; died July 20, 1903 in Forks, Sullivan county, Pa.
George W., born June 18, 1830; married Melinda Waltman; died July 28, 1864 in Andersonville prison, Georgia.
John C., born April 18, 1833; married Rosina Kilmer; occupies the homestead. (Died June 28, 1911.)
Mandes, born October 2, 1834; married Charity Benjamin; resides in Potter county, Pa. (Died February 28, 1916.)
Solomon, born September 9k, 1838; died November 3, 1864 in Florence prison, S. C.
Hottenstein Family History.
William Hottenstein, the family historian of Berks county, Pa., furnishes the following: "The Hottenstein family is recorded in the Vienna collection of names of noble families as belonging to the nobility of the Frankish Knighthood. Their origin is traced back to the so-called Forest of Spessard, not far from Aschaffenburg, in Germany. In this forest lived already in 380, A.D., the Frankish Province Count, Reidbold Von Hottenstein. The name is derived from a hill in the forest, and signifies in the old German language a holy stone or work. The origin of the name is attributed to the fact that Reidbold held annually the great, solemn court upon a large rock under a powerful oak tree. His coat of arms contained two fields, one white and the other red, signifying wisdom, impartiality and strict justice. In the red field as well as upon the helmet was fixed a white falcon, indicating courage and eagerness for battle and besides this a Count’s crown. Thus originated the coat of arms of this family, which has remained unchanged to the present day. His wife was Illseboda, a daughter of a Westphalian Count. Reidbold died in 415, in high honors."
"Then in the line of descent came Alfred Von Hottenstein, who flourished in the year 506, and Ansgar Von Hottenstein, 887, who left a son, Filbert. Five of Fiblert’s sons were shipwrecked during the Crusades, and in 1288 the head of the family was Giselbert Von Hottenstein. His son, Hartung, became sole heir to the family castle and possessions. In 1524 the castle was demolished by the peasants during the Peasant War. Kuno Von Hottenstein, who was in the German army alone survived. In 1527 he assisted in sacking Rome, and the booty he secured revived the family fortunes. He had two sons, Nicholas and Ernst. Nicholas was also in the service of the German Emperor. His descendants still flourish among the nobility of Austria. Ernst remained at Esslingen, where he became mayor. He died in 11618 and left three sons, who immigrated to America.
"The three brothers arrived in Philadelphia, but the exact date of their arrival has not yet been ascertained. One of them died at Philadelphia, another removed to Lancaster where his descendants still live, whilst the third, Jacob Hottenstein, settled in Oley township, Philadelphia county, now Berks. This Jacob Hottenstein was the ancestor of the Hottensteins in Overton and Sullivan county. How long he remained in Oley is not known, but the records show that he moved to Maxatawney township in 1729. There he bought a tract of 116 acres from Caspar Wistar for 40 pounds and 12 shillings sterling. He married Dorotha Reber, and had four sons—Jacob, William, David and Henry, and two daughters—Dorothea and Maria. It appears that even during that time, when preachers of Gospel were so scarce he did not neglect to give his children a good religious training. Rev. Father Muhlenberg, the venerable Lutheran minister, residing at Philadelphia, frequently came to his house on missionary travels, to give his children catechetical instructions. The original farm of 116 acres, together with 327 additional acres which Jacob acquired afterward, are still in the possession of his descendants, William Hottenstein occupying the original farm. Jacob Hottenstein died in 1753, aged 56 years."
"The oldest son, Jacob, Jr. settled in Richmond township. He had four daughters. William bought a farm in Cumru township, near Reading. He had five sons—Samuel, William, Henry, Solomon and David, and four daughters. David Hottenstein, the third son of Jacob, lived in Maxatawney on the farm of his father. His issued consisted of three sons and two daughters—Jacob, David, Daniel, Catharine and Dorothea. Catharine was married to Jacob Grim of Macungie, Lehigh county, and bore him eleven children---eight sons and three daughters. Henry, the fourth son, became a doctor in Lancaster. Samuel, the oldest son of William, settled near Reading. Solomon, the fourth son of William, moved to Lehigh and became the progenitor of the family in that county. He had five sons and seven daughters. The sons were William, Peter, Jacob, John and Henry." Jacob was one of the pioneers of Overton, and Henry settled in Forks, Sullivan county.
Christian Ruth, who married Rowena Wolvert, and she having died, moved t Overton with his son-in-law, Jacob Hottenstein, in 1829. After three years he returned to Lehigh county, but came back in 1841 and lived with his sons-in-law, Hottenstein and Streevy, until the time of his death---June 16, 1857, aged 78 years. Mr. Ruth was a member of the U.S. Militia to put down the "Whisky Rebellion" in 1794. In 1798 he was one of those who opposed the "House Tax," which led to what is popularly known as "The Hot Water War." In Northampton county a number of persons were seized by order of the U.S. Marshall, but were rescued by a force under the leadership of John Fries. Mr. Ruth was one of Fries’ followers, and was arrested with him and the other ring leaders and sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment and pay a fine of $200.
Mr. Ruth’s son, Stephen, came to the township in 1847, purchased and occupied the W. F. Dieffenbaugh placed until 1867, when he sold out and removed from the neighborhood.
John Clark, a brother of Mrs. Kissell, came to Overton in 1829 and lived a short time in the old log school house. He began clearing on the John Molyneux place, and erected a log house in which he lived about two years, then sold his possession to Daniel Heverly (2d) and moved to the Alleghenies. He had a family of nine sons and a daughter.
James Daugherty, an Irishman, came to the township in 1829 from Columbia county. He began improvements on the John Streevy place and erected a log house below the public road, leading to New Albany. After clearing about ten acres, in 1840, he removed with his family to Muncy.
John Barchley, a Switzer, and razor-and-shears-grinder by occupation, came to the settlement in 1833. He built a log house on the W. S. Dieffenbaugh place, which he occupied a short time, then left the locality. Barchley is described as being a "strapping big fellow, who carried his grindstone upon his back with little or no effort."
Jacob Hunsinger came in from Sullivan county in the fall of the same year, and occupied the possession made by Barchley. After three or four years he moved to Muncy.
John Sniteman, a native of Lehigh county, who had married Sally Streevy, came in and occupied the same place in 1841. He also moved to Muncy in 1843. Stephen Ruth was the next occupant and owner in 1847. He sold to W. S. Dieffenbaugh in November, 1866.
Hiram Baker came to the township in about 1834 and began improvements on the McGovern place. He built a snug log house and remained upon the place until 1838, when he was succeeded by Daniel Kellogg. Kellogg continued improvements until 1841, then sold to Edward McGovern and moved out of the township.
Ludwig (Lewis) Rinebold, born April 17, 1787 and a shoemaker by occupation, came to Overton from Lehigh county in 1835. His family, consisting of his wife and nine children, were loaded in a two-horse covered wagon, together with all their household effects, and the journey made across the mountains. They carried a little stove with them, on which their cooking was done along the way. It was late in the fall when Mr. Rinebold reached his destination. He had $2.50 in money, a wagon, team of horses and a large family—no home and winter soon coming on. What could he do? This is what he did: He purchased 50 acres of land of Daniel Heverly (2nd), giving his best horse (the other was worthless) in payment for one-half of it. He traded his wagon with Mr. Heverly for a cow and fodder enough to winter her. He lived with his neighbors during the winder and made their shoes to procure food for his family. In return for his work he received a piece of port, some grain or a bag of potatoes. There was always a way out, and Mr. Rinebold in due time erected a log house, reared his family, and cleared and paid for his farm, which is now owned and occupied by his grandson, Addison Rinebold. Mr. Rinebold was a quiet, godly man esteemed by all. He died January 7, 1856. His wife was Sally Slotery, who was born September 8, 1792. She was a very ardent Christian, and spent much time in song and prayer. She died March 13, 1864. The children of Ludwig and Sally Rinebold were:
Edward, born February 7, 1819; married Celinda Heverly; died July 10, 1909 in Towanda, Pa.
Reuben, born March 20, 1820; married Catharine Heverly; died September 1, 1892.
Mary Ann, born November 5, 1821; married Dykeman Cole; died March 29, 1863.
Josiah, born May 2, 1823; married Margaret Crawn; resides at Sayre, Pa.
Sally, born January 18, 1825; married James Heverly; died September 6, 1864.
Ezra, born July 4, 1827; married Elizabeth Crawn; resides near Overton, Pa. (Died December 23, 1914.)
Lewis, born April 19, 1831; married 1st Mira Leonard, 2nd Jane Smith; resides in Overton.
James, born march 2, 1833; died June 10, 1864 in Andersonville prison, Ga.
Daniel Slotery, a German and native of Lehigh county, came to the township about 1837 from Waterloo, N.Y. He began a clearing on the Thomas McGovern place and erected a log house. In 1841 he sold his possession to Thomas McGovern, and moved to Sullivan county on the Osthaus place. Slotery was a shoemaker by trade, and a brother of Mrs. Ludwig Rinebold.
Charles Dieffenbaugh came in from Sullivan county in 1836 and built Christian Heverly’s new house, taking the Kissell place in payment for his services. In the fall of the same year, Mr. Dieffenbaugh erected a small framed dwelling upon his place, and on Christmas Day was united in marriage with Miss Martha, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Mullen. In February, 1837, he moved into his new home with his young wife. In 1841 he traded his farm with Owen McCann for property on Sugar Ridge. He erected a log-house and moved to the Ridge in May, 1842, being the first settler there. He cleared up a farm of about 70 acres, and in the meantime worked at his trade, that of carpenter and joiner. His death occurred January 13, 1876, aged 65 years. The children of Charles and Martha Dieffenbaugh were: William Sylvester, Hannah C. (Mrs. B. A. Crammer), Harriet R. (Mrs. F. L. Vangorder), Mary E., (Mrs. Artemus Fawcett), Joseph E. and Sophia, who died young.
John Molyneux, whose father, Edward Molyneux, had purchased a tract of land, came in from Sullivan county in 1837, and occupied that part of it, where John Clark had made an opening. He cleared land, erected a log house and kept bachelor’s hall until 1843, when he harried Miss Hannah Heverly. Mr. Molyneux was intensely industrious, and cleared and improved nearly his whole farm. He was the champion sheep shearer of the neighborhood, and an ardent Methodist. By word or deed he never injured anyone. He was born April 7, 1815; died August 17, 1897. The children of John and Hannah Molyneux were: Albert, Wesley, Lydia (Mrs. Daniel Peckham), Theodosia (Mrs. William W. Warburton), Charles, Emily (Mrs. William Sherman), Ellen (Mrs. Isaac Bailey), Cyrus and Fanny.
Wilt Family.----Among the Pennsylvania Germans, who took an active and prominent part in the struggle for American Independence, were several members of the Wilt family. One of these was Jacob Wilt, born, 1762, in Maxatawney, Berks county. He removed to Whitehall, Lehigh county, where he resided during the Revolutionary War. In April, 1781, he enlisted at Philadelphia as a private in the Company of Capt. Jacob Yehl in the "Dtuch regiment" of which Jacob Weis was Quartermaster, attached to the French army. With his command he was in the campaigns and long marches through Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island, and was present at the "grand frolic" given the soldiers by General Rochambeau at Hartford. He served until the close of the war receiving his honorable discharge in February, 1783. After his return from the service he married Miss Elizabeth Allen and spent the balance of his life in Salisbury township and Allentown. He died June 13th, 1858, aged 96 years and is buried in the Salisbury cemetery. His wife, born September 20th, 1765, died March 20th, 1822, buried in the Allentown cemetery. Jacob and Elizabeth Wilt had five sons and three daughters as follows:
Peter was a soldier in the War of 1812; died, unmarried, in Philadelphia.
Maj. Joseph was a soldier in the War of 1812; married and lived at Emaus; had a family of several children of whom there are distinguished descendants.
Magdalene married Daniel Heverly and removed to Overton, Pa.
Lydia married and had a family of several children; lived and died in Philadelphia.
Ann married Jacob Bogart; reared her family and died in Lehigh county.
Abraham married and lived in Allentown. He had several children, one of who was Edward, who won renown in the Civil War, being one of the gunners on the Kearsarge, who helped sink the Alabama. His cousin, J. Andrew Wilt of Towanda, Pa. has the distinction of being the youngest "enlisted" soldier in the Civil War from Bradford county.
Andrew Wilt, the fourth son, born June 11, 1801, learned the art of shoe-making and opened a shop in Allentown. On April 8, 1827, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Swartz, and continued to reside in Allentown until the spring of 1844, when through the persuasion of his brother-in-law, Daniel Heverly, he removed to Overton hoping to better his condition in life. Taking his family and such goods as he could load in a lone-horse lumber wagon (covered) he set out for his new home. The roads were bad and mountains had to be climbed. His horse became tired out and all, save the two youngest children, were required to walk the greater part of the distance. "When climbing the hills, the men would shove against the hind part of the wagon to help the horse along." To make this lonely and fatiguing journey required several days, and although unaccustomed to the inconvenience and hardships of pioneering, he did not all himself to become disheartened.
|Andrew Wilt||Mary Swartz|
Soon after coming to Overton he purchased a piece of timber land, which be began clearing as opportunity afforded. Here, after having erected a hewed-log house, he moved his family and spent the remainder of his days. To improve and pay for a farm and provide the wants of a family in those days meant to practice industry and economy, in which he was equal to the test. By improving his land in summer and working at his trade in winter and during stormy days, he was able to pay for his land and spend his last days in comfort.
In politics Mr. Wilt was not an office-seeker, but was an earnest advocate of what he believed to be right. His first vote was cast for General Jackson in 1824 and repeated in 1828 and ’32. He afterwards joined the Whigs and voted for General Harrison in 1840, his last vote being cast for Benjamin Harrison in 1888. He was a very strong Unionist, and was brokenhearted when the news came of the defeat of the Northern forces at Bull Run. Commenting upon the war, after he had allowed a son, not yet fifteen to go, and thinking that he would never come back, said: "I have done all I could, I have given my boy to the Union."
Mr. Wilt was a man honorable in all his dealings and placed an estimate upon men according to their integrity. He was exceedingly careful in the moral training of his family, and taught by both precept and example. And to him in his closing years, it was a great satisfaction to know that he never once had cause to regret the conduct of his children. "He never did an unjust or foolish thing, of which he was conscious, in his life." At the age of fifteen years Mr. Wilt became a member of the Lutheran church, and continued a faithful and consistent Christian and "died in the Lord," April 5, 1889, aged 88 years. His wife, known as "Aunt Polly," was born December 5, 1806. She was a lady of kindly ways and beautiful Christian character. She was not only the "sunshine of the home," but everybody enjoyed her company and a visit with "Aunt Polly." She died very suddenly, September 10, 1877. The children of Andrew and Mary Wilt were:
Francis S., born may 17, 1829; married Angeline Linebaugh; resides at Allentown, Pa.
Sarah, born June 11, 1832; married Morris J. Heisz; resides at Dushore, Pa.
Judia, born March 27, 1834; married Lyman Marcy; resides in Monroe.
Lydia, born November 5, 1835; married Apollos E. Scureman; resides at Dushore, Pa.
Maria, born June 26, 1839; died, unmarried, September 5, 1899.
Emeline, born June 28, 1843; married Clarence M. Williams; resides at Dushore, Pa.
Lucinda, born July 2, 1846; married Clarence M. Williams; died September 26, 1886.
Joacob Andrew, born September 28, 1848; married Emma I. Wellman; resides in Towanda, Pa.—See "Overton Boys of Mark."
Four other children died young.
James Molyneux, a brother of John, born September 22, 1816, on September 8, 1846, married Miss Esther Tomlinson. They at once began life together in the wilds of Overton, settling on the farm where they spent fifty-two years in faithful toil, prospered and died, highly respected by all. Mr. Molyneux died July 16, 1901, and his wife, April 23, 1897, aged 72 years. Their children were: Watson, Edward, Evelyn (Mrs. Job McCarty), Margaret (Mrs. E.C. Roe), Clara (Mrs. David Warburton), Jabez, Joseph, Charles and Fred. Two others died in childhood.
Jacob Musselman, a native of Horthampton county, born June 16, 1796, came to Overton from Lehigh county in 1848. He was a waver, and followed his occupation many years after coming to the settlement. On June 15, 1828, he married Miss Hannah Eizenhart. They were excellent Christian people. Mr. Mussleman died September 27, 1887, in his 92nd year. His wife died May 14, 1890, aged 80 years, 9 months and 20 days. Their children were:
Reuben, born October 13, 1829; resides at Overton. (Died April 23, 1913.)
Mary, born October 1, 1836; married Curtis R. Heverly; died April 9, 1904 at Macon City, Mo.
Edward, born April 14, 1840; married Clara Francke; died February 28, 1871 at Blossburg, Pa.
Hannah, born February 17, 1843; married Jacob Sherman; lives at Overton.
Ellen, born February 14, 1854; married Frank P. Bleiler; resides near Overton. (Died September 2, 1922.)
Cornelius Maloney settled on the Reuben Musselman place. After a few years he moved to other parts. His brother-in-law, Peter McGoy, came in and lived with him. "McGoy was a violinist and furnished music for the young people at their dances."
Kelsus Heath, a soldier of the War of 1812, came from North Towanda in 1841, and made the first improvements on the Brennan place, erecting a log house. He sold to James McGee, who came in 1842, and removed to Sheshequin. McGee occupied the place about four years. It finally (1855) passed into the hands of Andrew Brennan, a bachelor, who occupied and improved the farm until his death.