Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Sheshequin 1777 - 1902
Photo by Joyce M. Tice 
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Sheshequin Township Page
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce
ReTyped for Tri-Counties by Deborah JUDGE Spencer and Donna WALKER Judge

History of Sheshequin 1777---1902

C. F. Heverly

pub.1902, Towanda, Pa. 
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just these Heverly books by using the Heverly button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
00 05 24 56 76 96 116 172 208 226 249 267 294 308 318 332 334 351 373 Table of Contents

Sheshequin#4 page 76

supposed them dead, not having heard anything respecting them since they went to the field to work three years before.

John Newell and sons, Josiah, Abel and John, came from the East, probably Connecticut, to Lower Sheshequin about 1784. Mr. Newell purchased lot No. 11 in Claverack, a part of which he sold to Joseph Salisbury, the balance being held by his son, Abel. In 1799 Mr. Newell and his sons, Josiah and John, removed to the headwaters of Towanda Creek.

ABEL remained upon his claim in Claverack. His possessions embraced the farms now owned by Ellsworth Gooding and W.D. Fox. He lived on the Gooding place, his house standing about ten rods from the river on the “lower road.” Mr. Newell married Sally Wilcox, one of whose brothers was slain at the battle of Wyoming. He died April 9, 1837, aged 78 years; his wife died April 6, 1831, aged 74 years. The children of Abel and Sally Newell were: Stephen, Hezekiah, Hannah, Elisha, Samuel, Roba, Lucy and Benjamin. Stephen married Catherine Cole of Kingston, N. Y. He inherited the homestead and occupied it until the time of his death in 1885. The children of Stephen and Catherine Newell were: David, residing in Sheshequin; John; Sally (Mrs. William Skinner of Minnesota); Catherine (Mrs. Joseph Keegan); William died at the age of 17; Sylvia (Mrs. George Frink, dead); George died at the age of 17; Mary (Mrs. Ransom Horton); Elisha J., who occupied the homestead until the time of his death in February, 1897. Hezekiah married a Miss Tuttle of Wysox, finally moved to the headquarters of Towanda Creek, where he died. Elisha married Anna, daughter of John Post, removed West with his family and died at Hale, Iowa. Samuel married in Potter county, Pa., finally removed there and died. Hannah married Horton, reared a large family and died at Hornbrook. Roba married Peter Barnard, lived and died in Sheshequin. Lucy married Elisha Forbes, died in Sheshequin. Benjamin lived on the Horace Johnson place for a number of years, where he kept a still. He died in Sheshequin.

The Gore Family.--The Gores are of English origin. John Gore and his wife, Rhoda, came from England and settled at Roxbury, Mass., in 1635. Samuel Gore, a grandson of John Gore, was a resident of Norwich, Conn., in 1714. Obadiah Gore, son of Samuel and Hannah Gore, was born July 26, 1714. He married Hannah Parks and died in 1779. Hannah was a sister of Captain Thomas Parks, the first settler of Litchfield, Bradford County. Obadiah Gore moved from near Boston to Norwich, Conn., thence to Wyoming in 1770. Of his advent in the new colony, Mr. Miner says: “Among the new body of emigrants, were two of the Gore family from Norwich, Obadiah Gore, the father, and Daniel Gore, his son, blacksmiths by trade, full of ardour and replete with Yankee ingenuity. They conceived the design of adding to the ordnance a new cannon. A large pepperage log was fashioned, bored and then hooped from breach to muzzle with stont bands of iron. Painted black, with a red mouth and mounted on a wagon, its appearance at least was sufficiently formidable. The first discharge excited at once admiration and hope among its friends. Re-loaded a heavier discharge, was driven home that a corresponding execution might be produced, the cannon split, and so terrible was the explosion that one of the iron bands, thrown a thousand feet across the Susquehanna, was afterwards found in the willows on the river shore.” Obadiah Gore was a magistrate under the laws of Connecticut. His commission, signed in April, 1778, bears the name of Jonathan Trumbull, then governor of Connecticut. He was an aged man at the time of the massacre, and was left in Forty Fort while the army went out to meet the enemy. “In the little band that marched forth on that memorable 3d of July, 1778, were his sons, Samuel, Daniel, Silas, George and Asa, and his sons-in-law, John Murfee and Timothy Pearce. Thus there were seven in the battle, while an eighth (Obadiah Gore, Jr.) was in service with the regular army; and it proved a most bloody and disastrous day to the family. At sunset five of the seven were on the field mangled corpses. Asa and Silas were ensigns, and were slain; George and Murfee were slain. Timothy Pearce held a commission in the regular army, but had hurried in. He, also, was killed. Lieutenant Daniel Gore was near the right wing and stood a few rods below Wintermoot’s fort, close up to the old road that led up through the valley. Stepping into the road, a ball struck him in the arm; he applied a hasty bandage, tearing it from his shirt. Just at that moment Captain Durkee stepped into the road at the same place. ‘Look out !’ said Mr. Gore, ‘ there are some savages concealed under yonder heap of logs.’ At that instant a bullet struck Captain Durkee in the thigh. When retreat became inevitable, Mr. Gore endeavored to assist Captain Durkee from the field, but found it impossible, and Durkee said, ‘Save yourself, Mr. Gore, my fate is sealed.’ Lieutenant Gore then escaped down the road, and leaping the fence about a mile below, lay concealed close under a bunch of bushes. While there an Indian got over the fence and stood near him. Mr. Gore said he could see the white of his eye and was almost sure he was discovered. A moment after a yell was raised on the flats below. The Indian drew up his rifle and fired, and instantly ran off in that direction. Though the wave of death seemed to have passed over and spent itself, yet Lieutenant Gore remained under cover until dusk. After dark he found his way to the fort and met his brother, Samuel, the only other survivor of the seven. The distress of Mrs. Murfee was very great. She feared her husband had been tortured. When she learned he fell on the field she was less distressed, and begging her way with the rest of the fugitives, traversed the wilderness and sought a home in the State from which she had emigrated, having an infant born, a few days after her arrival among her former friends. No tongue can tell, no pencil can paint the sorrows and sufferings of poor Wyoming; and all undoubtedly, occasioned by drawing away the men raised here for its special defense.”

Obadiah Gore, the eldest son of Obadiah and Hannah Gore, born at Norwich, Conn., was one of the most prominent men of his day in Wyoming. In 1776 he entered the Continental army in a regiment commanded by Colonel Isaac Nichols, and served six years; was commissioned first lieutenant by John Hancock, October 11, 1776, and by John Jay, March 16, 1779. At the organization of Luzerne county he was commissioned one of the judges. He and his father were blacksmiths, and were the first persons to use anthracite coal in Luzerne county, and began to use it in their forges about 1772. In the few blacksmith shops in Wyoming and West Branch settlements, coal was gradually introduced after its manipulation by the Gores. They were among the prisoners taken by the Pennamites in 1768, and were also in the terrible troubles of Wyoming, known as the first and second Pennamite wars. Judge Gore removed with his family to Queen Esther’s flats in 1784, and the following year came to the east side of the river and settled permanently on the farm now occupied by Hon. L.J. Culver. He was a man of great enterprise. Soon after settling in Sheshequin, about 1787, he built the first framed house and opened the first store in the township. He also built the first grist-mill (1807) and the first distillery in the town. Judge Gore performed many important public duties. In 1781 and ‘ 82 he was one of the members from Westmoreland to the Connecticut assembly. He was a member of the Pennsylvania legislature in 1788, 1789 and 1790. He was commissioned for Kingston in 1782, and in 1787, with Nathan Kingsley, was appointed a justice of the peace for the third district of Luzerne county. The first marriage entry on his docket is April 20, 1788, and is that of Mathias Hollenback and Miss Sarah Hibbard. Mr. Gore was commissioned one of the judges for Luzerne county in 1787 and served as such till 1791. The late Judge Bullock says: “Judge Gore was a man of superior mind, and benevolent in the fullest sense of the term. His name was a household word among the settlers in the back woods for a long time, and they ever found in him a friend who would assist them from his ample stores as their necessities required. His memory is yet highly respected by the few who survive, and who had participated in and were recipients of his favors.” Judge Gore married, 1764, Anna Avery. Their children were: Avery, Wealthy Ann, Hannah, Anna and Sally. He died March 22, 1821, and his wife, born December 18, 1744, died April 24, 1829. Both are buried in the Gore cemetery on the farm settled by Judge Gore. The mother of Judge Gore, who spent her last years with him, lies in the same cemetery. She died in 1804, aged 83 years.

AVERY, born January 10, 1765, married Lucy, daughter of Silas Gore. He succeeded to the homestead, and was for some time associated with his father, Judge Hollenback, and William Buck in heavy land speculations. He took an active interest in the old State militia, and was commissioned, successively, ensign, second lieutenant, lieutenant and captain. The first house of public entertainment in Sheshequin was opened by his father and him as early as 1789. A portion of the building in which they furnished comfort for the weary 111 years ago, is still standing and forms a part of the Culver residence. Avery Gore was the first postmaster for Sheshequin, being appointed in 1804 and served for a number of years. He died July 30, 1847. His wife, a kindly and most remarkable lady, survived him many years. At her death, one who had known her long and intimately, wrote: “Mrs. Lucy Gore died in Sheshequin, Friday, March 23, 1866, in the 93d year of her age. The faithful journalist has frequently announced the death of the last survivor of the Wyoming massacre, and as often has the announcement been contradicted. We supposed we were recording above the decease of the last person connected with that terrible event in our early history, but careful inquiry discloses the fact that two are still remaining among us--Mrs. Satterlee of Smithfield, Bradford county, Pa., and Mrs. Deborah Sutton, residing near Scranton, Pa. The latter was old enough to recollect that she and her parents were taken prisoners and that some of the family were killed before her eyes. Mrs. Gore was nearly five years old on that ever memorable 3d of July, 1778. She with two sisters (one older and one younger) and her mother, was in Forty Fort during the battle, and up to the time of her death she had quite distinct recollections of many of the events of the day. After the patriot force had been routed, and a small number of them had succeeded in reaching the fort, they were surrounded and compelled to capitulate. Many of the outrages committed during this brief period, Mrs. Gore distinctly remembered. Her mother, a bold, resolute woman, seeing the danger and insult to which they were exposed, took her three children, the youngest in her arms, Lucy by the hand, the oldest clinging to her skirts, broke through the guard stationed about the fort and hastened to the river where she found a boat waiting, in which she and others safely reached Sunbury. This escape was fortunate, in view of the scenes of horror and outrages which followed. Silas Gore, Lucy’s father, and two of his brothers, Asa and George, were slain in the battle, and their names are inscribed on the “Battle Monument,” which stands upon the scene of the conflict. After General Sullivan passed through the country and dispersed the Indians and Tories, the family moved up the river to the valley of Sheshequin,--a miniature edition of the valley of Wyoming--where the subject of this notice lived for more than four score years. She died in the house in which she was married and ever after lived, and over which she presided so many years, and with such a generous hospitality that her name became a household word in all the land around. She reared to manhood and womanhood a family of ten children (five of whom she survived) and reared them so well that to the last hour of her life she was proud to own them as hers. Mrs. Gore made no boast or show of religious profession, but she lived the highest order of religion, constantly, distinctly, practically, yet meekly, unostentatiously. She lived and died firmly believing and ardently hoping that God in His own good time and through the agencies and instrumentalities. He has chosen, will save His people from their sins by turning every one away from His iniquities, and eventually bring in the last wandering prodigal to the fold of universal holiness and happiness.” The children of Avery and Lucy Gore were: Calista, born November 30, 1794, married Samuel Kennedy Gore, died January 6, 1849; Matilda, born November 6, 1800, married Guy Kinney, died February 20, 1861; Wealthy Ann, born March 6, 1803, married Byron Kingsbury, died April 19, 1884; Harry, March 20, 1805, married Elizabeth R. Ellis, died September 8, 1855; Edwin, born September, 1807, died November 24, 1890; Obadiah, born October 8, 1809, married Matilda Shaw, died October 10, 1893, was the father of Major W.H.H. Gore of Athens; Ralph, born September 21, 1811, married Jane Eggett, died March 20, 1889; Silas P., born December 12, 1814, married Rebecca Spalding, died December 19, 1857, Charles, born October 25, 1816, married Ann Eliza Ballenger, died in Illinois, February 15, 1865; George, born September 7, 1820, died September 27, 1869; Alfred died in childhood.

WEALTHY ANN, born August 10, 1767, married Colonel John Spalding, died January 2, 1854.

HANNAH, born September 18, 1769, married Elisha Durkee. Her interesting recollections will be found at the close of the sketch of the Gores.

ANNA, born February 8, 1772, married John Shepard of Athens, died September, 1805.

SALLY, born September 22, 1774, married Isaac Cash of Ulster, died March 23, 1813.

Samuel Gore, brother of Judge Obadiah Gore, was born May 24, 1761, and removed from Connecticut with his father and brothers to Wyoming. He took an active part in the struggle for Independence, and his services may be best appreciated and understood as expressed in his own language. In January, 1832, he penned a petition to Congress, asking for a pension, in which, after a respectful address, he says:

“Your petitioner’s request is of a singular nature, differing from the common case of those who served in the war of the Revolution: he was not engaged for any limited time; that he resided at Wyoming settlement at the commencement of the late Revolutionary war; that in the year 1777, in the month of May, he was enrolled in the militia of Captain Aholiab Buck’s company, and took the oath of allegiance to be true and faithful to the cause then at issue; that in December, the same year, he was drafted on a tour of duty up the river as far as Wysox and Towanda; the command he was attached to took 28 prisoners, men that had served under General Burgoyne the preceding campaign; that in the year 1778 the settlement was in almost continual alarm the forepart of the season, and what added mostly to their fears was that three companies of soldiers had been enlisted in the settlement and had joined the main army of Washington. The militia that was left was on duty the principal part of the time in fortifying, scouting and learning the military discipline, till the month of July, when the settlement was invaded by the British and Indians, under the command of Colonel John Butler and Brant, the Indian chief. Your petitioner was in the memorable battle and massacre of Wyoming, and narrowly escaped the fate of five brothers and officers, and the principal part of the company to which he belonged. In addition to his misfortune, in running across a bay or morass, the Indians in close pursuit, every step over knee deep in mud and mire, by over exertion, caused a breach in his body which has been painful and troublesome disorder ever since. It is unnecessary to describe the entire destruction of the settlement by the enemy, dispersion and hardships of the fugitives, old men, women and children fleeing through the wilderness, carrying with them scarcely enough to support nature by the way. The place was retaken in August or September following by Colonel Zebulon Butler and Captain Simon Spalding and a garrison replaced there. Your petitioner returned soon after and served as volunteer during the years 1779, 1780 and 1781, and was subject to be called on in every case of emergency. The expedition of General Sullivan to the Genesee country did not prevent wholly the depredations of the enemy, being frequently harassed by small parties. In the year 1782 Captain Spalding’s company was called to join the main army at headquarters and a company of invalids was stationed at the post, commanded by Captain Mitchell, soldiers that were not calculated for the woods, scoutings, etc. : Colonel Dennison gave orders to have the militia organized and classed, which took place.”

Afterward, April 3, 1832, Sergeant Gore wrote a private letter to Philander Stephens, member of Congress, and from which is taken the following extracts : “I would take it as a favor if you would inform me what is the prospect of a bill for the general compensation of old soldiers and volunteers of the Revolution. * * * Some cheering information on this subject would revive my spirits, which have been almost exhausted during the severity of the past winter. * * * On reflecting back to these trying times, I would state some particulars respecting our family at the commencement of the Revolution. My father had seven sons, all zealously engaged in the cause of liberty. Himself an acting magistrate and a committee of safety watching the disaffected and encouraging the loyal part of the community. * * * Three of his sons and two sons-in-law fell in the Wyoming massacre. Himself died the winter following. One son served during the war, the others served in the continental army for shorter periods.” Then he draws a picture of some of the things he saw in that war, and says: “Let any person at this time of general prosperity of our country, reflect back on the troubles, trials and suffering of a conquered country by a savage enemy. Men scalped and mangled in the most savage manner. Some dead bodies floating down the river in sight of the garrison. Women collecting together in groups, screaming and wringing their hands in the greatest agony; some swooning and deprived of their senses. Property of every description plundered and destroyed, buildings burned, the surviving inhabitants dispersed and driven through the wilderness to seek subsistence wherever they could find it. This,” he says, and its truth is on its face, “is but a faint description of the beautiful valley of 1778, and it should be remembered the savages continued their depredations until 1782. John Franklin was chosen captain. Your petitioner was appointed to sergeant and had the command of a class which was ordered to be ready at the shortest notice, to scout the woods and to follow any part of the enemy that should be sent on their murderous excursions; that he performed four tours of scouting that season of about eight days each. Your petitioner never drew any pay, clothing or rations during the contest for Independence, but ammunition he was supplied with from the continental store. He had the charge of a family at the time (his father being dead); had to support himself as well as he could by laboring between spells and frequently plowing with his musket slung at his back.” He concludes with this pathetic sentence, after stating that he had been informed by the newspapers of the great spirit of liberality manifested by Congress toward old soldiers: “I take the liberty to request of your honorable body to take my case into consideration, and, if you, in your wisdom and justice should think that your petitioner is entitled to any remuneration, to do what you may think right and just; and your petitioner will ever pray.”

Mr. Gore was also a participant in the Yankee and Pennamite troubles. When his brother removed to Sheshequin he accompanied him. In 1785 he married Sarah Brokaw, but did not bring his family to the new settlement until a couple of years later. The first winter after he settled in Sheshequin he was compelled to go via Wyoming to the Delaware river to winter his oxen, no means of doing so being nearer. His money to carry him a journey of 150 miles was an English crown. The paths were impassable, nearly, but on the fourth day he arrived at Wyoming, where he rested and prepared feed for his cattle for the balance of the journey by twisting hay into large ropes and fastening them around their bodies and necks. He packed his wallet with Indian johnny-cake and slung it upon his arm, and entered the great “dismal swamp.” The snow was two feet deep and the weather severe. On the second day he had a creek to cross, so deep that footmen could not pass without wading. Mounting one of his oxen, he attempted to ride across, but the anchor-ice hit his legs, his steed played him false and left his rider to make his way out as best he could. He was now four miles from any house, his clothes were frozen and he alone in the depths of the forests and night approaching. He used to say he considered his chances for life more hopeless and desperate than when pursued by the yelling savages at Wyoming. Mr. Gore settled on the farm of now D.W. Chaffee. He built a log house near the bank of the river and afterwards a large house on the main road near the present Chaffee residence. At this time there was no mill nearer than Wilkes Barre. His family were nearly out of provisions. He must supply their wants and was required to make the trip, nearly 100 miles, by canoe or dug-out. High water delayed him and the journey would occupy seven days, two down and five back. He bade his family good-bye, and with a God-speed from his wife, with the assurance that He would be merciful, he started on his tedious journey. The mother and children standing on the river bank, watched the canoe until it became a mere speck in the distance, then with heavy hearts returned to the cabin to begin the long and anxious vigil. During the journey down the river he encountered a terrific shower or cloud-burst. Seeing the storm approaching, he ran his canoe ashore, took out his grist and placed it on the bank. He then pulled the canoe up, turned it over the grist and himself crawling under, kept the grain dry and probably saved himself from drowning. Without further delay, he reached Wilkes-Barre, and in due time he had his grist ground by the slow and tedious process of those days. This accomplished he started back on his laborious journey, poling the canoe against the strong current and heavy rifts, anxious as to the fate of his wife and the little ones. After seven days alone in the wilderness with her little flock, surrounded by wolves and other wild beasts, the feelings of the mother upon seeing the approach of her husband can be better imagined than described. In her “Early Times,” Mrs. Perkins relates: “About 1790, Mr. Gore was once home from Owego, where he had been to make some purchases, with his knapsack upon his back. He found the Indians quite numerous and hostile at Tioga Point, the river very high and could not cross it that night. For safety, he climbed a tree opposite the island and secured himself by a strap, where he stayed through the night. Early the next morning he went to the ferry with all possible stillness, where the ferryman took him across the river and he went on his way in safety.” Mr. Gore was for many years a justice of the peace, and is said to have been one of the best magistrates in the county. He always decided a case on its merits, regardless of quibble or nice legal technicalities. He was very regular also in his domestic habits, retiring early and rising the same. A story is told of him, which illustrates both of these traits of character. A trial had come before him in which the examination had continued until the usual bed-time of the ‘ Squire. After the testimony closed, the lawyer entered into a long argument of the case, as was his custom, and the court, as was its custom at that time of evening, went to sleep. Towards the conclusion of the argument, the attorney discovered the somnolence of the court, and with some abruptness aroused him, intimating rather sharply, he wished the court would keep awake long enough to enter judgment. “I entered that before you began your plea,” quietly yawned the court, pointing to the docket at the same time. The attorney subsided, while a hearty laugh went around the room at his expense. Mr. Gore was an extensive land owner, having about 400 acres along the river and as much more on the hill. He died May 2, 1834. After his death his widow received a pension. She expected a small amount only, and was very much surprised when $600 were counted down to her. With a sorrowful countenance and desponding tone, she said, “I don’t know what I shall do with all this money. I don’t want it.” Mrs. Gore, who was born April 10, 1764, died November 17, 1845. The children of Samuel and Sarah Gore were: Samuel Kennedy, Silas, Sally M., Abraham B., Judith H. and Nellie V.

SAMUEL K., born December 4, 1786, married Calista, daughter of Avery Gore, died July 9, 1840. They had a large family of children, the only survivor of whom is Daniel Gore, born in 1821, and a resident of the town.

SILAS, born September 21, 1788, married Catherine Elliott, died April 29, 1856. They also had a large family of children. Four of their sons, Samuel, John, Silas and Hollis, served in the Civil war. Samuel was killed at Fredericksburg; John died on the march, and Silas lost his life at Gettysburg. Mr. Gore lived at North Rome, where he died.

SALLY M., born July 26, 1791, married Elijah Townsend of Rome, had a large family; is buried at Bumpville.

ABRAHAM BROKAW, born August 6, 1794; married Sally (born May 18, 1794, died December 15, 1875), daughter of Alexander Kennedy, died autumn, 1840. Their children were: Harriet N., (born November 27, 1818, married William J. Lent, died August 28, 1868); Fannie W., (born April 9, 1819, married William E. Bull, died February 11, 1895); Abraham (born July 31, 1822) occupies a portion of the original Gore farm; Comfort C. (born July 20, 1825); Polly (born June 7, 1830, married Horace B. Chaffee); Lucy Ann (born August 8, 1832, married Bowen Chaffee).

JUDITH H., born June 17, 1796, married Elias Minier and occupied a portion of the homestead; died September 20, 1863.

NELLIE V., born April 19, 1799, married Hiram Merrill of Litchfield, died August 24, 1857.


Thrilling Incidents--As recounted by Hannah Durkee, daughter of Judge Gore, and written from her lips by her daughter, Amanda Allen: “I was born in Norwich, New London county, Conn., September 8, 1769. When I was eleven months old my parents moved to Wilkes-Barre, on land granted by the king to the Connecticut colonies. They settled on the east side of the Susquehanna river, near Jacob’s Plains. We were driven off in six weeks by the Pennamites. My father was taken prisoner, and while crossing the river he said something displeasing to them, when one of them struck him with his oar across the forehead, which marked him for life. How he got away I know not, but he went with his family to New Jersey, where he lived about two years and then returned again to Wilkes-Barre. Father built a saw-mill soon after his return, and while he was building it my mother sent my brother. Avery, across the race to get some hewings to burn. When he was out of her sight he coaxed me to go with him. We crossed close by the mill. While we were crossing, he said: ‘Now, Hannah, hold on tight and don’t fall into the water.’ The caution gave me such a fright that I immediately fell in, and he said I was sinking for the third time when he caught me by the hair and raised me out of the water, and fortunately laid my face down and wrung the water out of my clothes as well as he could, and when my reason returned, for fear of censure, he cautioned me to keep still until they were dry. We lived there about two years, in which time father built a large two-story house, when we were again beset by the ravages of war. Here my mother gave birth to twin daughters; one of them did not survive long enough and the other was very weakly and had to be kept in a dark room. We learned the Pennamites had raised an army and were coming to plunder everything from the settlers and burn their houses. Father was stoning a well he had just dug. He got out, shouldered his gun, and every man who was able to bear arms went to meet them. They lay in ambush two miles below Shawneytown, attacked them and defeated them, and we were left undisturbed for a while. The Pennamites at that time were commanded by Colonel Plunket.

“Soon after father enlisted in the American army under a commission. He came home sometimes for recruits and stayd two or three weeks at a time. I saw him enlist a good many men. He was a lieutenant in the Connecticut line, and was absent at the battle of Wyoming. Many of our neighbors were home on parole and were killed in the battle. My father lived on the east side of the river, and my grandfather Gore on the west side. My mother’s parents lived with her at that time: their names were Avery. The day after the battle, July 4, 1778, a party of Tories came to the opposite side of the river and concealed, all but one, who called, ‘Over, over.’ Grandfather Avery, thinking him to be a neighbor, went after him with a canoe, when they rushed into the canoe and compelled him to row them over. They went to the house and told mother to carry out such things as she wished to save, as they were going to burn it. She commenced to carry out the best of the goods, and as fast as she carried them out they took them down the river where the rest of the party had arrived to carry off the plunder with the canoes. After collecting such things as they wished to take away, they set fire to the house and left. Mother brought water and extinguished the flames. Soon after another party came and fired it, and told her if she put it out her life would be a forfeit. My parents saw it burn. The started for New Jersey on foot, carrying such things as they could--provisions and clothing. Mother had my youngest sister to carry in her arms; she was then three years old. They had to pass through thirty miles of woods and encamped on the ground in the open air. Grandfather and Grandmother Avery continued their journey through to Connecticut, with several others, and performed the whole journey on foot and subsisted upon the charity of the people . At this time I was living with Grandfather Gore, near Forty Fort, and went to the post with them, July 2. When the alarm came my uncle Asa Gore’s wife was in travail. She gave birth to a son and then was carried immediately to the fort. The next day, Friday, July 3, 1778, our men, under Colonel Zebulon Butler, paraded all who were able to bear arms and marched out to meet the enemy. I had seven uncles in the battle, and out of these five were killed and one wounded. Silas, Asa and George Gore were killed, as were Tim-