History of Sheshequin 1777---1902
C. F. Heverly
|00||05||24||56||76||96||116||172||208||226||249||267||294||308||318||332||334||351||373||Table of Contents|
In 1801 he joined Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, F & AM, at Athens, and at the time of his death, December 17, 1871, was the oldest Free Mason in the State. Mrs. Shaw died April 10, 1868, aged 85 years. The children of Ebenezer and Cynthia were: Laura (Mrs. Sidney S. Bailey), Harry, Uriah, Norman, Hiram, Matilda (Mrs. Obadiah Gore), Eliasaph (Mrs. Samuel Thompson) and Ebenezer P.
JEREMIAH removed to near Canandaigua, NY, where he married and reared a family.
BENJAMIN married Margaret, daughter of Stephen Powell of Ulster, and removed to Penn Yan, NY.
LORIN married Electa, daughter of Daniel Kellogg of Towanda, lived at Milltown for some years then removed to Towanda, where he died April 26, 1857, aged 68 years, 9 months and 5 days. Mrs. Shaw died June 13, 1844, aged 52 years, 6 months and 19 days. Both are buried in Riverside cemetery. Their children were: Philander, Celemana (Mrs. William Elwell), Cynthia (Mrs. Everett Elwell), Lawrence, Celestia (Mrs. William A. Chamberlain), William B. (“nestor of the press” in Washington, DC.,) Maryetta (Mrs. James Lamon) and Frances (died at about 12 years).
ABIGAIL married William Ball; lived near Geneva, NY where she reared a family and died.
PHOEBE married Samuel Bartlett of Sheshequin: removed to Michigan with her husband.
DEBORAH married David Eddy of Penn Yan, where she lived, reared a family and died. Some of her descendants have become distinguished as ministers of the Gospel and in the medical profession.
Moses Park, a native of Preston, Conn., born August 1, 1766, came to Sheshequin soon after 1785. His father was a sea captain and was lost at sea when the son was of tender years. After coming to Sheshequin, Moses taught a school, probably the first in the town, and also began preaching as a Baptist there and at Tioga Point. In 1792 he married Mary, daughter of General Simon Spalding. A year later he commenced to preach Universalism, and in 1797 removed to the State of Ohio. Here he was commissioned a justice of the peace by Governor St. Clair. In 1801 he returned to Bradford County and purchased a farm in Athens township, east of the Susquehanna, where he continued to reside till the time of his death, May 30, 1817. He continued preaching at Sheshequin and Athens till the close of his life. The children of Moses and Mary Park were: Cynthia, born December 25, 1792, married Constant Mathewson of Athens; Clarissa, born April 29, 1795, married Nathaniel Flower of Athens: Harriet died young: Amanda, born November 24, 1799, married Jabez Fish of Sheshequin, died July 7, 1891; Rev. Chester, born January 20, 1802, married Lemira Fish, died in 1881: Moses died young: George, born July 25, 1806, married a Miss Hutchins, died in Athens where he kept a public house; Silas Warren, born March 18, 1809; Simon died young; Mary, born November 28, 1813, married Rev. G.S. Ames; Consider Sterry, born October 31, 1816.
Peter Snyder, who was of German descent, came from Lafayette, Sussex county, NJ, to Sheshequin in 1789. He purchased several hundred acres of land, settling the farm in the upper part of the valley, now occupied by Elisha Forbes. Here in conjunction with farming, he opened a tanyard, made saddles and harnesses and operated a shoeshop and still at the same time. He accumulated a considerable fortune. Mr. Snyder married first a Miss Larrison, by whom he had three children--Jacob, Mary and Maria. For his second wife, he married Mrs. Mary Young, who had two children by her former marriage--Thomas and Mary. The children of Peter and Mary Snyder were: William, Peter, Elizabeth, Katherine, Nancy, John and Benjamin Pitney. Mr. Snyder died January 14, 1822, aged nearly 78 years. His wife, Mary, died June 7, 1847, aged almost 94 years.
JACOB removed to Wayne county, NY, where he died unmarried.
MARY married and removed West, where she died.
WILLIAM learned his father’s trade and subsequently bought out his business. This, after a few years, he moved to the farm now owned by his son, William. He also opened a hotel, and “ Snyder’s” became a place of note, a considerable village springing up around him. He married Hannah, daughter of John Parks, an early settler of Rome. Their children were: Polly (Mrs. Harry Shaw), Sally (Mrs. Nathaniel Moody), Julia (Mrs. Charles Forbes), Wright, who married Delila Catlin, Mianda (Mrs. George Northrup), Emeline (Mrs. Loren D. Tyrrell), Eliza (Mrs. Frank Van Norstran), William, who was born November 24, 1826, married Laura M. Elsbree and John P., who married Sarah Prentiss, was killed at Morris Farm, Va., November 27, 1863. Mr. Snyder died October 12, 1860, in his 78th year, and his wife, Hannah, died June 19, 1881, aged nearly 90 years.
ELIZABETH married a Mr. Wheeler, removed to Wayne county, NY, reared a large family and died there.
KATHERINE married first Abraham Wandall, second John Chandler of Sheshequin.
NANCY never married; she died in Sheshequin in 1868, aged 76 years.
JOHN married Eve ____ ; for many years occupied the old homestead; died in Litchfield. His son, Orrin D., was killed at the battle of Chancellorsville.
BENJAMIN PITNEY married for his first wife Polly M. Harris. He died in Athens township, where he was an extensive farmer.
MARIA and PETER died young.
William Witter Spalding, a few years after General Spalding, a distant relative, had settled in Sheshequin, came from New England and joined his settlement. He was a descendant in the sixth generation from Edward Spalding, and a son of Oliver and Mary (Witter) Spalding, being born at Plainfield, Conn., November 18, 1767. His father was a soldier in the “ Old French War,” and also the war of the Revolution. In 1789, Mr. Spalding married Rebecca, daughter of General Spalding. He settled near his father-in-law, and took an active part in the affairs incident to the new settlement. In 1792, he was appointed the first constable for Sheshequin, an office he held, at different times, for several years. He was the crowning athlete of the neighborhood, as the following will illustrate: “In 1790, the Six Nations went on a treaty mission to Philadelphia. On their return they stopped at General Spalding’s and challenged the whites for a foot race. The challenge was accepted, and William Witter Spalding selected as the champion of the settlers and won the race. This gave umbrage to the Indians, and then Spalding challenged them to run a mile, but it was refused, and peace was maintained with much difficulty, the Indians drawing their knives for fighting.” Mr. Spalding removed to Genesee, NY, where he resided a short time. Here his wife died in April, 1813, when he returned to Sheshequin with his family. He spent his last days with his son, Colonel Robert Spalding in Wysox, where he died October 16, 1845. He is buried in Sheshequin. The children of William Witter and Rebecca Spalding were: Robert, Morris, Anna, Maria, John Adams, Erastus, Harriet B., Ruth Ann, Alexander Hamilton and Jane Rebecca.
COLONEL ROBERT, born July 1, 1790, married Aurelia, daughter of Elisha and Cynthia (Stevens) Satterlee of Athens. He engaged in farming, east of the river, in Athens township till 1840, when he sold his farm and removed to Wysox, where he had purchased the Seth T. Barstow place. Here he engaged extensively in farming and lumbering and also for a time kept a general store. He became widely known as one of the most prominent business men of the county. He was a colonel in the State militia, active in religious work and a philanthropist. He died in Wysox, October 6, 1853. His wife, born August 9, 1793, died September 17, 1869. Their children were: Cynthia S., wife of Francis A. Tyler of Athens: Alexander Hanson, a prominent citizen and the seventeenth sheriff of the county, died in 1882: Chester Pierce, who died in Towanda in 1896: Rebecca, who married Silas P. Gore of Sheshequin; Lemira K., who married Morris J. Coolbaugh of Wysox and removed to Kansas: Major Israel P., who died from the effects of wounds received at the battle of Gettysburg: Aurelia, wife of Jerre M. Collins of Towanda, died in 1892; Mary P., wife of Hon C.S. Russell of Towanda; Helen M., wife of William Elwell Jr., removed to Wisconsin where she died in 1887.
MORRIS, born March 24, 1792, married Carassa Cash, was county commissioner from 1834 to 1836, removed West and died at Tiskilwa, Ill., May 5, 1865.
ANNA, born June 3, 1794, married Henry Smith of Avoca, NY.
MARIA, born October 4, 1796, married William Briggs of Athens.
JOHN ADAMS, born September 7, 1799, died in Maryland, April 7, 1847.
ERASTUS, born October 17, 1802, removed to Tiskilwa, Ill.
HARRIET B., born May 20, 1804, married Cyrus M. Johnson and lived in Chicago, Ill.
RUTH ANN, born May 8, 1806, married Henry Marcy.
ALEXANDER H., born December 5, 1809, married Jane Gardner, died in Athens in 1839.
JANE REBECCA was born March 3, 1813.
The Hortons.--The most numerous family settling in Sheshequin, whose prolific family record has been kept good down to the present time, is that of Horton. The Hortons are of English origin, their ancestry dating back to Robert de Horton in the thirteenth century. Barnabas Horton, the first of the family to come to America, landed in Massachusetts about 1633. He removed to New Haven, Conn., and afterwards formed one of the company that crossed to the eastern end of Long Island and settled the town of Southhold, being one of the patentees of that place. Joseph, son of Barnabas Horton, removed to Rye, Westchester county, NY. From him descended in successive generations, David, John and Richard. The last named was the father of Elijah, the Sheshequin pioneer.
Elijah Horton, son of Richard and Jemima (Wright) Horton, was born in Peekskill, NY., August 7, 1739. About 1762 he married Jemima Currie. Being desirous of giving his aid in the struggle for Independence, on the 22d of February, 1778, he enlisted as a private in Captain Fox’s company of Henley’s regiment, Continental Troops, for a term of three years. He served until November 24, 1779, when he was “invalided.” About 1780 he removed from Peekskill to Stroudsburg, Monroe county, Pa., where he purchased a farm. Owing to the depreciation of Continental money (of which he had enough to pay for his land) he was compelled to give up his farm and removed to Middle Smithfield, Pa., where he lived for a time. From the latter place, about the year 1790, he came to Sheshequin and settled near the river on lands now owned by Frank Brigham. Here he continued to reside till the close of his life. In 1816, when he was 77 years of age, the following notice appeared in the Bradford Gazette: “There is now living in the township of Ulster (which then embraced Sheshequin), this county, Mr. Elijah Horton and Jemima, his wife, who have now living 12 children, 74 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren, amounting in all to 109. Mr. Horton and his wife are in good health. He takes care of his stock of horses, cattle, etc., breaks his own colts and cuts his wood. His wife performs the household business without necessity of assistance from younger persons; they, therefore, have no person in their family but themselves. The eldest of their children has living nine children and twelve grandchildren; the other eleven of their children have all been married and had children.” Mr. and Mrs. Horton were both faithful members of the Baptist church. He died August 14, 1821, aged nearly 82 years. His wife, Jemima, (born July 6, 1744), died March 11, 1825, aged nearly 81 years. Both are buried in the Hornbrook Cemetery. Unto Elijah and Jemima Horton were born seven sons and five daughters: Elizabeth, Richard, Elijah M., Jemima, Fanny, Isaac, Joshua, Esther, Phoebe, Gilbert, Stephen and William.
ELIZABETH, born at Peekskill, NY, July 29, 1764, married Benjamin Brink, a soldier of the Revolutionary war; came to Sheshequin with her husband and died there, January 31, 1830.
RICHARD, born at Peekskill in 1776, married Tabitha, daughter of Isaac and Anna (Lattemore) Jayne. After his marriage he settled at Middle Smithfield, Pa., where he remained till 1792 when he removed to Sheshequin, settling on what is now the Towner place, which he purchased of Arnold Franklin. Here, as early as 1808, he opened a house of public entertainment, the first in Lower Sheshequin and continued as an innkeeper for a number of years. In his old age he lived with his son, David, where he died about 1834. Both he and his wife are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. The children of Richard and Tabitha Horton were: David, Isaac J., Anna, Tabitha 1st, Jemima, Tabitha 2d, Betsey, Diana, Richard, Josephine, Jane and Lorinda. David, born October 22, 1788, came to Sheshequin with his father’s family. He married Hannah Newell (born in Sheshequin, February 5, 1794). He was a man of much enterprise. In 1812 he settled on the George L. Horton place, where he died June 22, 1875. His wife died January 28, 1875. The children of David and Hannah Horton, all of whom were born in Sheshequin, were: Richard N., Nancy S. (Mrs. James DeMoney), Rhoda B. (Mrs. Richard T. Horton), Daniel J., Tabitha (Mrs. Moses Canfield), Eliza A., (died at 16), Adaline, (Mrs. Charles Chaffee), David, Benjamin, William P., Hannah (Mrs. C. D. H. Cole), Joseph E. and George L. Isaac Jayne married Ruth N. Ferguson, removed to Coles county, Ill. Anna married Caleb Shores of Wysox and reared a large family. Tabitha (1st) died young. Jemima married John Lyons. Tabitha (2d) married Nathaniel Shores. Betsey married George Vibbert. Diana married Stephen Shores. Richard married Eliza, daughter of James Shores of Sheshequin. Their children were: James, Elizabeth (Mrs. Abel Barner) and Tabitha A. (Mrs. Philip Seebich). Josephine married Daniel Culver of Sheshequin. Jane married Aaron Shores and moved West. Lorinda married Orrin Smith.
ELIJAH M., born in Peekskill, NY, June 9, 1768, married Pamela Ogden in 1791, and the following year came to Sheshequin. He settled on the farm now owned by E. H. Brigham, where he died August 9, 1835. The children of Elijah M. and Pamela Horton were: Isaac S., Charles, John, Lydia, Mary, Betsy, Elijah and Jane. Mrs. Horton died February 11, 1804, aged 40 years. Mr. Horton subsequently married Abigail Bullard, who bore him William R. and Lucinda. She died March 3, 1845, aged 65 years. All are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. Of the children: Isaac Snyder married Hannah, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Snyder) Elliott of Sheshequin. He took up land in a dense wilderness, several miles from any inhabitant, cleared it up and then bought several other farms and assisted in clearing those. He was not only a farmer, but occasionally a hunter as well, “frequently taking his rifle,” as he says, and going into the woods not far from his house he would knock down a deer or two and return home by breakfast time. One morning in June some seventy years ago he took his gun and went out into the woods about half a mile from his home, when a fine buck appeared before him and down he went. While reloading his gun he heard a wolf howl, and going a little further he brought him down also. On returning to the place where he shot the deer, behold a huge panther had taken possession of the buck and was regaling himself by licking up the blood and preparing to feast upon the carcass. He stood still for some minutes, thinking it rather cruel to kill him before he had a chance to take his fill of his much coveted food. But, at length, the panther saw him and showed signs of fight, and then put a ball through his brains. On going home for his team, he found he had been absent only little over an hour. Mr. Horton was a man of strong constitution and lived to a good old age, dying at the homestead about two miles from Ghent. The children of Isaac and Hannah Horton were: Sylvester, Emily (Mrs. Reuben Young), John E., Joseph, Lydia (Mrs. Edward Vought), Elijah, George, Elizabeth (Mrs. W. C. Ransom), James, Snyder, Hannah (Mrs. B.H. White) and Isaac R. Charles married Sally Brink of Sheshequin. Their children were Perley, Myron, Orrin, Jefferson, Burton, Benjamin and Charles. John married Margaret Rote and removed West. Lydia married Rev. David Blackman. Mary married first Smith Horton, second Rufus Cooley. Betsy married King Shores. Elijah married Elizabeth Ferguson. Their children were Rockwell, Stephen, Ogden, Curtis and Jemima. Jane Jemima married Joseph Elliott. William Bullard married first Melinda, daughter of Col. Franklin Blackman of Sheshequin. Their children were Harry L., Horace, Elizabeth (Mrs. Perley Hutchins Kinney), Amazilla (Mrs. Henry C. Kinney), Mary E. (Mrs. William M. Shores). Mr. Horton married second Saloma J., daughter of Jeremiah Kilmer of Sheshequin. Unto them were born Miles E. and Rowena H. (Mrs. T. G. Smith). Lucinda married John B. Smith of Sheshequin.
JEMIMA, born at Peekskill, NY, in 1770, married Eliphalet Gustin in 1787 at Stroudsburg, Pa. She came to Sheshequin with her husband in 1792, later removed to Burlington, where she died on the Gustin homestead, May 14, 1822.
FANNY married Seeley Hayes, who lived at Hornbrook for a time and taught school. He removed to Illinois with his family.
ISAAC, born in Peekskill, NY, April 19, 1772, came to Sheshequin with his father. He settled on the Frank Brigham place. He was twice married; first to Sally, daughter of Jonas Smith of Towanda, second to Laura Stephens of Athens. He died September 6, 1861, without issue. All are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery.
JOSHUA, born at Peekskill, NY, October 7, 1774, came to Sheshequin with his father. He married Lucy Thompson and settled on the place recently occupied by A. Chapman. Their children, who married as follows, were: Elsie, to Abraham Dunham; Lucy, to Lemuel Landrus; Sally, to Francis Forbes; Joshua, to Betsy Brink; William, to Sally, daughter of James Shores, Richard T., to Rhoda, daughter of David Horton. After the death of his first wife in 1814, Mr. Horton married Lucinda Ellis. Their children were: Ithiel married Polly Brink; Lucinda married Ethan Tuttle; Esther married Jackson Blackman; Ulysses married Sally Elliott; Fanny married Elijah H. Blackman; Eleazer married Harriet Chaffee; Lewis married Sally M. Chaffee; Luman P. married Phoebe, daughter of Richard N. Horton; Nelson married Lucy Bullis. Joshua Horton died February 19, 1863, and, with his wives, is buried in the Hornbrook cemetery.
GILBERT, born at Stroudsburg, Pa., 1784, came to Sheshequin with his father’s family. He married Mary Beardsley, and settled on the place of now Charles J. Horton. Their children were: Freeman, who died at 18; Clarissa married Leonard Shaw: Reuben married Polly Pierce, and David, who went west. Mr. Horton removed West about 1850 and died there.
STEPHEN, born at Stroudsburg, Pa., about 1786, came to Sheshequin with his father’s family. He married Susan Mayhew of Lycoming county, resided at different places and spent the last years of his life in North Towanda, where he died November 23, 1868. His wife (born in 1788) died at North Towanda, February 28, 1873. The children of Stephen and Susan Horton were: Elijah H. married Mary Foster and lived in North Towanda: Hiram married Hannah Hovey and resided at Lawrenceville, Pa. : Shepard married Harriet Aela and lived in Painted Post, NY. ; Mayhew married Elizabeth Lyons and resided at Blossburg, Pa. : Elizabeth married George Williams; Mary married Benjamin Lyons: Catharine married Hiram Goff of Monroe, and Anna married Rosin Fox of Liberty Corners, Pa.
WILLIAM, born at Stroudsburg, Pa., May 14, 1789, was brought to Sheshequin when an infant by the family. At the age of 20 he married Esther, daughter of Christopher and Rachel (Coolbaugh) Cowell. In 1811 he settled on the place now occupied by his son, Isaac J. Horton, where he died November 23, 1858. His wife (born in Kingswood, NJ., January 19, 1789), died March 24, 1880, having attained the age of 91 years. Both are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. The children of William and Esther Horton were: Eliza, Delight, Richard C., Lucinda, William, Esther J., Rachel A., Isaac J. and Lucy A. Eliza married Joseph Tuttle of Sheshequin; Delight married Albert Tuttle of Sheshequin, who removed to Minnesota and was several times elected to the State Legislature; Richard C. married Elizabeth Smith of Sheshequin; Lucinda married Guy Smith of Sheshequin; William married Polly M. Rundell and removed to Iowa; Esther J. married John Vought of Standing Stone; Rachel A. married George Chaffee of Sheshequin; Isaac J. married Jane Rogers and occupies the homestead; Lucy A. married Joseph F. Blackman of Hornbrook.
PHOEBE married John Smith of North Towanda, who was frozen to death while hunting. Their children were Mercy, Fanny, Phoebe, Isaac and John. Mrs. Smith married for her second husband Lemuel Landrus, with whom she removed West about 1825.
ESTHER married Timothy Stratton of North Towanda, who removed to Ohio.
Ichabod Blackman, son of Elisha Blackman, was born at Lebanon, Connecticut, in 1762. He removed with his father’s family to Wilkes-Barre in 1772, and was in the skirmish at Exeter, July 1, 1778, together with his father and brother, Elisha. He fled with his father, mother, sisters and brother, Eleazer, July 4, 1778, through the woods to Stroudsburg, thence to Connecticut. He returned to Wilkes-Barre about 1784. In 1786 he was married at Goshen, NY, to Elizabeth, daughter of Jonathan Franklin. Five years later, in 1791, he removed to Sheshequin, settling the farm now owned by his grandson, George W. Blackman. He built a log house opposite the present Blackman residence, and afterwards a hewed log house on the upper end of the farm. Mr. Blackman was a shoemaker by occupation, and frequently made a pair of shoes at night after the severe labors of the day in the forest were over. In the month of April, 1798, he was drowned near the mouth of Sugar Creek, while crossing the river in a canoe on a very dark night. The children of Ichabod and Elizabeth Blackman were Franklin, Elisha and David S.
FRANKLIN, born at Wilkes-Barre, September 28, 1787, was three years of age when the family removed to Sheshequin. He continued the improvements begun by his father, and occupied the farm till the close of his life. In 1805 he conceived the idea of establishing a ferry across the river, and, constructing a rude craft, began operations. This must have been a severe task in those days, especially at high water and with a strong current; but it is said of Mr. Blackman that he was very skillful, and with the aid only of a long pole conducted his passengers over with safety. This proved to be a very successful undertaking, resulting in the establishment of one of the best ferries in the county. Mr. Blackman was a useful and influential citizen. He took an active interest in military affairs and held four commissions from the governor; first, as cornet (color-bearer) of cavalry; second, as first lieutenant; third, as captain of the foot; and fourth, as colonel of militia, by which latter title he was generally known. He was an ardent Whig, and several times the choice of his party for county office. He filled various local positions of honor and trust, among them being a justice-of-the-peace fifteen years. Colonel Blackman enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all his neighbors and had a very wide circle of friends. He married Sibyl, daughter of David and Louisa Beardsley. Their children, who married as follows, were: Melinda C., born September 28, 1810, married William B. Horton, died June 7, 1850; Elizabeth F., born March 23, 1812, married Arnold F. Ferguson, died September 29, 1880; Celinda D., born July 16, 1816, married Richard H. Fuller, died December 23, 1898; Hiram L., born February 23, 1819, married Caroline Ayer, died in California, December 19, 1850; Wealthy Ann, born February 9, 1821, married Russell S. Ayer, resides at Norwood Park, Chicago: David J., born May 23, 1823, married Esther, daughter of Joshua Horton, removed to Wisconsin, died April 6, 1888; Joseph F., born June 9, 1825, married Lucy Ann, daughter of William Horton, resides at Hornbrook; Mary E., born April 25, 1828, married W.H. Shaw, died April 19, 1898; George W., born February 19, 1831, married first Ada M. Kinney and second Margaret E. Hillis; he has been prominent in Odd Fellow work, was prothonotary from 1879 to ‘85, and is one of the most popular and highly esteemed citizens of the county; resides in Towanda. Colonel Blackman died August 14, 1880, aged nearly 93 years. His wife, Sibyl, a most estimable lady, born October 6, 1788, died December 12, 1864.
ELISHA, when a young man, settled at Pittston, Pa., where he died at the age of 93 years.
DAVID S., born on the homestead in Sheshequin, married Lydia, daughter of Elijah M. Horton, became a Methodist preacher of much power; he owned and occupied the Horace Horton place at Hornbrook, where he died September 5, 1828, aged 34 years. His children were Sterling, Bibbins, Franklin, Charles Ichabod, Elijah and David. Sterling, Bibbins, Elijah and Franklin settled at Rochelle, Illinois, of whom the last named is living . Charles I. died in California. David went to the Mexican war, which was the last ever known of him. Rev. David’s widow subsequently married George Billings and removed to Illinois.
Mrs. Ichabod Blackman married for her second husband Timothy Winship, a Hartford merchant, who had purchased the Connecticut title of all the lands embraced in the present township of Herrick. She died June 9, 1809, aged 42 years, and is buried in the Hornbrook cemetery.
Benjamin Brink, a Revolutionary soldier, who had married Elizabeth Horton, came to Sheshequin with the Hortons. He was born of Dutch parentage, August 29, 1763, at Kingwood, Morris county, NJ. He removed to Lower Smithfield, Northampton county, Pa., where he was living at the breaking out of the Revolutionary war. In the spring of 1780 he enlisted as a private in the company commanded by Captain Henry Shoemaker, Colonel John Chambers’ regiment, for the term during the war. The nature of his service and the duties performed by him were confined to the line of fortifications upon the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware river to protect the settlers from the Indians and Tories. He was employed in garrison duty, building and repairing forts; taking his regular turn in mounting guard on sentry, spies and scouts. He continued in the service till the latter part of 1783, when he was discharged. After the close of the war he continued to live in Lower Smithfield till the time of his removal to Sheshequin. His wife having died in 1830, he went to Elmira, NY.; remained there a few years, then returned to Sheshequin and spent his closing days on what is known as the “Beidleman farm.” He was given a pension of $8 per month, under the Act of 1832, dating from March 4, 1831. He died December 31, 1845, and his remains repose beside those of his wife in the old Sheshequin cemetery. The children of Benjamin and Elizabeth Brink were: Daniel, Jemima, Rachel, Benjamin, Elijah, John, Elizabeth, James and Hester.
DANIEL, born in Lower Smithfield, Pa., June 5, 1787, came to Sheshequin with his father’s family when a child. After reaching man’s estate he purchased the farm at Hornbrook now owned and occupied by John H. Chaffee. Here he lived many years, and as early as 1839 opened a public house in what is now the present Chaffee residence. Later he engaged extensively in the mercantile business, which he pursued in connection with farming. His store stood on the opposite side of the road from his hotel. In 1849 Harry L. Horton, the New York banker and millionaire, received his first lessons in business affairs as a clerk in Mr. Brink’s store. In 1842 Mr. Brink was elected county commissioner and served a term of three years. He sold out his interests in Sheshequin in 1854 and removed to Rochelle, Ill., where he died in 1885 at the age of 98 years. Daniel Brink married Rachel, daughter of Jesse Smith. Their children were: Daniel, Benjamin, Polly (Mrs. Ithiel Horton), Jane (Mrs. James M. Peck), Matilda (Mrs. Thomas Minier), Betsy (Mrs. Joshua Horton) and Sally (Mrs. Charles Horton).
JEMIMA, born February 1, 1789, married Jonas Smith of Sheshequin, died December 23, 1825.
RACHEL, born March 3, 1791, married John M. Smith of Sheshequin, reared a large family and died March 7, 1872.
BENJAMIN JR., born May 12, 1793, married for his first wife a Miss Rogers. Their children were Amanda and T. Worthy. For his second wife he married Polly Forbes of Sheshequin. The children resulting from this marriage were Delilah (Mrs. Crans) and John. Mr. Brink lived in the upper end of the town, near the narrows. He died December 28, 1830, and is buried in the Sheshequin cemetery.
ELIJAH, born May 3, 1795, was a shoemaker; he died July 14, 1817, unmarried.
JOHN, born February 8, 1798, married Amanda Segar of Sheshequin. He lived on the place now owned by D.W. Chaffee. He died November 23, 1874, and his wife (born April 28, 1806), May 26, 1892. The children of John and Amanda Brink were: Orace (Mrs. Percival Powell of Towanda), Elizabeth, unmarried, residing at Ulster, Charles died at the age of 16 years, Julia died at the age of 10 years, John R. married Ellen, daughter of John Horton of Hornbrook, and resides at Creston, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Brink are buried in the Sheshequin cemetery.
ELIZABETH, born December 8, 1799, married Henry Bensley of Barton, NY, and had three children, John, Archibald and Mary.
JAMES, born November 29, 1801, married Mary Ann Bensley, sister of Henry, the husband of Elizabeth Brink. He spent the greater part of his life in Sheshequin, then resided in different places. He died May 11, 1881, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Layton, in Towanda. The children of James and Mary A. Brink were: William, Benjamin, Isaac, Seeley, Victoria (Mrs. A.J. Layton) and James. Mr. and Mrs. Brink are buried at Waverly, NY.
HESTER, born July 24, 1806, married Archibald Forbes of Sheshequin. She was the mother of a large family and died March 13, 1901, aged nearly 95 years.
William Ferguson, a brother-in-law of Ichabod Blackman, who had married Patience, daughter of Jonathan Franklin, came to Sheshequin about 1791, settling on the farm now owned by Theodore Smith at Black. He cleared a considerable part of the farm and died there February 10, 1826, aged 64 years. His children were: William, a shoemaker, married Nancy, daughter of James Shores, and removed West; Stephen married a Miss Atwood of Wysox and also went West; Benjamin married and removed from the county; Arnold F. married Elizabeth, daughter of Franklin Blackman, removed to Streator, Ill., where he died; Curtis married Ethlinda, daughter of Caleb Shores, and lived at Ghent; Jemima married Jesse R. Drake of Wysox; Elizabeth married Elijah, son of Elijah M. Horton; Ruth N. married Isaac Jayne Horton. Some years after the death of Mr. Ferguson, the property was sold to Hezekiah Smith, and Mrs. Ferguson went West with her sons.
Eliphalet Gustin, a native of Vermont and “journeying shoemaker,” who had married Jemima Horton of Stroudsburg, Pa., came to Sheshequin in 1792. He made the journey up the river with his wife, two children and a few household effects in a canoe. He landed at the mouth of Hornbrook Creek and took up lands, part of which is now included in the Frank Brigham place and the M.E. church lot. While living there he began excavating at the mouth of the creek with a view of erecting a mill. In the course of his digging he came upon an enormous horn, from which circumstance the stream and locality derive their name--Hornbrook. Once Mr. Gustin and Benjamin Brink pursued a bear and succeeded in running him into the river. They followed in a log-canoe, and overtaking Bruin dealt him a lusty blow across the head with a oaken oar. The animal disappeared and they supposed they had sent him to the bottom of the river. Suddenly, both hunters found themselves in the water, and Bruin in charge of an upturned craft. The bear now had the advantage, as the water was deep and his pursuers could only save themselves by clinging to the ends of the canoe. After some effort the canoe was floated to a point where bottom could be touched. Mr. Gustin held the canoe with its valuable cargo, while Mr. Brink attempted to discharge his gun. The powder had been dampened, so Bruin could not be dispatched in that manner. Our hero then charged the enemy with clubbed musket, and persevered until he had put an end to his bearship. When the battle was over, Mr. Brink found he had a gun without a stock and a badly bent barrel. In 1800 Mr. Gustin sold his improvements and moved across the river to the mouth of Hemlock Run, where he remained three years, then pushed up Sugar Creek, locating permanently in Burlington township. He died in 1860, at the age of 94 years.
Josiah Marshall, who had married Sibyl Brown, came from the Wyoming Valley to Sheshequin in or before 1792 and settled the Washington Towner place. He was a man of considerable activity in the new settlement, being appointed a supervisor of highways in 1792, ‘96 and ‘97, and constable in 1795 and ‘97. He died March 11, 1804, aged 41 years, 2 months and 23 days, and is buried in the family plot on the farm where he settled. His children were: Samuel, Thomas, Edward, Josiah B., Elizabeth and Sarah.
SAMUEL married Hannah, daughter of Samuel Hoyt, and occupied a part of the homestead where he died Jan 9, 1840, aged 48 years and 7 months. He had a family of several children, all of whom removed from the town.
THOMAS married Lucy, daughter of George Kinney, and also occupied a portion of the homestead till the time of his death, March 16, 1850, aged 57 years, 4 months and 11 days. He had no children.
EDWARD met with a misfortune when young, which left him weak minded; he died unmarried.
JOSIAH B. married Charlotte, daughter of John Goodwin of Kingston, Pa. He was a man of considerable prominence, but shamefully deserted his family, going to the Sandwich Islands, thence to California, where, it is claimed, he was the Marshall who discovered gold on the American river in 1848. He left the following children: Jane (Mrs. Abraham Gore), Caroline, Sibyl, Emily (Mrs. Albert Botsford), Thomas, Wallace, and Lemuel and Samuel G. (twins).
ELIZABETH married John F. Satterlee of Athens; died December 5, 1871, aged 77 years.
SARAH married Edmund Hill of Sheshequin.
Sibyl Marshall, after the death of her husband, married Ebenezer Segar; she died August 22, 1851, aged 79 years and 5 months.
Hugh Rippeth, a native of Ireland, who had married Huldah, daughter of John Franklin and cousin of Arnold Franklin, came to Lower Sheshequin about 1792 and settled on the H.H. Johnson place. Here he died about 1805. He had two sons and two daughters. One of the daughters, Jane, married Salmon Beardsley and lived near Rochester, NY. The elder son, William, married Polly, daughter of Samuel Shores. He settled on the farm now owned by W.M. Shores on Shores Hill, where he died June 23, 1835, aged 46 years, 9 months and 28 days. His wife died February 13, 1860, aged 62 years, 5 months and 18 days. Both are buried in the Post cemetery. Their children were: Marinda, married to David Shores: Jane, married to Nathan Green of Wysox: Amanda died unmarried: George W., married to Maria, daughter of Peter Shores, and died from the effects of sickness and exposure of prison life in the Civil war: John died at the age of 13 years.
Christopher Avery, a native of Connecticut, who served as a private in the Revolutionary war under Captain Williams, in Colonel Webb’s regiment of the Connecticut line from 1781 till the close of the war, came to Sheshequin a few years after his brother-in-law, Judge Gore, and lived with him. He enjoyed the benefits of a pension. He never married, and was familiarly known as “Uncle Kit.” He died May 3, 1830, in his 71st year, and is buried in the Gore cemetery.
The Omans, John and George, were among the early settlers of Upper Sheshequin. They removed from the town soon after 1800. John married Polly Wallace, sister of Mrs. George Murphy. They spent their last years at Geneseo, NY.
Timothy Culver joined the Lower Sheshequin settlement between 1790 and ‘95. He was a patriot and had served throughout the war in the struggle for Independence . In 1775 he enlisted under Captain Trowbridge, in Colonel Wooster’s regiment, and served seven months. He soon re-entered the service, joining the regiment of Colonel Elmore, under Captain Parmele, in which command he served one year. In 1778 he finally enlisted in the regiment of Colonel Welles, under Captain Judd, and served till the close of the war. He had entered the service as a private, but earned the rank of sergeant before his discharge. In one of the engagements with the enemy he was captured, and while a prisoner, with others, was compelled to unload a cargo of salt. The sacks in which the salt was packed were very heavy. These he was required to carry upon his back from the ship. So persistently was he kept at work that the flesh was fairly ground off his back, making great sores which were long in healing. The scars he carried to his grave, but he never forgave nor forgot the British for their cruelty. After the close of the war, Sergeant Culver married and settled on the Calneska, in Tioga County, NY. Here he reared a family of three sons, Amasa, Fred and Leander, and five daughters. His wife having died, he removed to Buckville, Chemung county. Subsequently, he became acquainted with and married Mary Brink, sister of Benjamin Brink of Sheshequin. He then joined the Hornbrook settlement, where he continued to reside till the close of his life. He was a carpenter by occupation and did the building in the new settlement. He owned and occupied different properties. Sergeant Culver is remembered as a kindly, genial old gentleman, greatly esteemed by all his neighbors. In his closing years he was given a pension by the government, which he had served so faithfully and well. He died in September, 1829, aged 88 years, and is buried in the Hornbrook cemetery beside his wife. She was born March 8, 1754; died February 25, 1845. The children of Timothy and Mary (Brink) Culver were James, Charity and Daniel B.
JAMES married Margaret French. He was a foreman on the canal; finally settled in Tuscarora township and engaged in farming till the time of his death. His children were: Daniel, Harriet, Mary, Aaron B., Timothy, Adolphus, Josephine, Jarvis J. and Margaret. Timothy and Adolphus lost their lives in the Civil war.
CHARITY married first _____, and had one daughter; second, Anthony Middaugh, by whom she had four sons and five daughters.
DANIEL BUNNELL, born in Sheshequin, April 19, 1807, married Josephine, daughter of Richard and Tabitha (Jayne) Horton. He settled the place now embracing the Franklin and Webb farms. Here he carved out a home in the wilderness and died August 5, 1856. His wife, Josephine, born April 6, 1809, died September 27, 1856. Their children were: Lafayette J., Hiram L., James P., Orrin D., Emily and Mahlon. Lafayette J. married Mary Patterson, and owns the old Judge Gore farm--one of the prettiest country homes in the county. He was elected to the State legislature in 1888. Hiram L., who was a sergeant in Company B, 141st P.V., was killed at the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864. He was unmarried and 31 years of age. James P. married Sibyl Park and resides in Buffalo. Orrin D. is a resident of Tuscarora. Emily is Mrs. Lewis H. Kilmer of Sheshequin. Mahlon died at the age of nine years. Mr. and Mrs. Culver are buried at Hornbrook.
Joseph Kingsbury.-- The Kingsburys, of whom our subject was a descendant, are supposed to have been of Scotch-Irish origin, having fled from the oppressions of the Old World to New England in the latter part of the 16th century. Joseph Kingsbury was born at Enfield, Conn., May 19, 1774, and was a son of Lemuel Kingsbury, a farmer. He received a good education and familiarized himself with the rules of surveying. At the age of 19, he bade adieu to his friends in the East, and with a horse, a small sum of money and a compass, turned his face towards the Susquehanna to find a home and employment. He arrived at Sheshequin in the spring of 1793, and at once engaged with General Spalding as a surveyor. This service ultimately led to his appointment as an agent for the vast landed estates of Vincent LeRay de Chaumont. In 1797, Mr. Kingsbury was united in marriage with Anna, daughter of General Spalding. Upon the death of the latter, be became the owner of that portion of the old homestead containing the original mansion, and resided there till the close of his life. He was esteemed a worthful citizen long before the organization of the county, having been appointed an overseer for Ulster in 1798 and constable in 1799. He was also one of the first supervisors and filled various other places of trust and responsibility. For many years he was the colonel of the militia of his district and postmaster at Sheshequin. In the early history of the county he was a Federalist, and was the first person to hold the position of commissioners’ clerk. After the formation of the Whig party he was one of its advocates. Of Colonel Kingsbury, his biographer says: “He was a man of marked characteristics. Possessed of more than ordinary ability by nature, he had brought to the storehouse of his information large additions by thought and reflection, gained from extensive reading and observation. In the field of political discussion he was an adversary of acknowledged force. He was bold, terse and argumentative as a writer; modest, timid and reserved as a speaker. In disputes among the early settlers, he exercised an extensive influence, and by individual appeal as agent, he was instrumental in getting the interests abated from their land contracts by the foreign owners. He became connected at an early day with the Masonic fraternity and held a leading position in the order. From an early period to his death, he was a member and generous contributor to the religious denomination of Universalists. Exercising charity to all and inculcating principles of morality and integrity in all around him, he strove to lay the foundation of good principles in the community, and among those, who, with him had opened up the forests to the sunlight and let in its genial rays upon the hearts and homes of the pioneer settlers. He was of fine presence, tall and strongly built. His wife was a most amiable lady and bore well her part in the scenes of his active and useful life. Their home was the seat of a most generous and refined hospitality.” Colonel Kingsbury died January 22, 1849, and his wife, September 18, 1864. Their children were: Mary, Almira, Byron, Burton, Ann Eliza, Henry, Joseph, Marion, Helen Mar and Lemuel S. Mary, or “Polly,” born August 17, 1799, married Allen Smith and spent her last days in Towanda; died December 25, 1887. Almira, born February 13, 1801, married Charles Comstock, who for many years was a justice of the peace and a prominent merchant in Athens; died April 4, 1882. Byron, born March 26, 1803, married Wealthy Ann, daughter of Avery Gore; removed to Towanda in 1825, where he died September 3, 1859. Burton, born March 30, 1805, married Rowena, daughter of Hon. George Scott; removed to Towanda and engaged successfully in business for a number of years; died June 15, 1871. Ann Eliza, born August 20, 1807, married Ira H. Stephens, the tenth sheriff of the county; died at Towanda, November 11, 1866. Henry, born February 3, 1810, married Matilda Clisby and spent his last days in Towanda; died June 28, 1887. Joseph, born July 2, 1813, married Matilda, daughter of Col. Hiram Mix; engaged for a number of years in the mercantile business in Towanda; was Deputy Collector of US Internal Revenue for fourteen years, and borough treasurer and secretary for more than a quarter of a century up to the time of his death, May 1, 1895. Marion, born September 30, 1815, married Hon. George Sanderson, distinguished as a lawyer, State Senator and banker; died in Scranton, June 23, 1886. Helen Mar, born July 11, 1819, married M.C. Mercur of Towanda; died April 8, 1841. Lemuel S., born September 14, 1823, married Sarah Osborne; occupied the homestead, where he died May 9, 1902.
Matthew Rogers, a native of Ireland, who was a soldier in the British army, came to America during the Revolutionary war. Having been captured, he espoused the American cause and never returned to his native country. He came to Sheshequin in or before 1795 and settled the farm now known as the Newman place, where he died June 2, 1832, aged 87 years. His wife, Lydia, died July 29, 1857, aged 85 years. Their children were John S., Hiram and two daughters, who married, respectively, Benjamin Brink Jr., and Orson Carner. John S., born in Sheshequin, October 17, 1795, married Maria Campbell; occupied the homestead till 1840, when he sold and removed to Litchfield; died January 7, 1879.
The Carners.--The family is of Holland origin, and originally spelled the name “Karner.” Lodowick Carner, a native of Sheffield, Mass., came to Sheshequin in or before 1798. “He was a very ingenious man, and miller for General Spalding.” Of his family, two sons, Calvin and Luther, and two daughters are remembered. One of the daughters, Mary, married George Kinney. Luther married Wealthy, daughter of Col. John Spalding. Their children were: Edgar, Mary, John, Charles, Henry, Sarah, George and Stephen. About 1820, Mr. Carner removed to other parts; Luther, also, after the death of his wife in 1833, left the town, settling in Ohio. Silas Carner, brother of Lodowick, followed his brother to Sheshequin, where he continued to reside a number of years. He finally remove to Athens and died there. He was the father of Orson, Amanda, Horace, Sylvia, Jay and Silas.
Henry McKinney, a native of Ireland, who had removed from Maryland, was a resident of Upper Sheshequin from 1795 till 1803, when he took up his abode in Athens township. He was drowned in the Susquehanna in 1806 by the upsetting of a canoe. His children were: Samuel, John, Margaret, Henry, David, Joseph and Cynthia.
The Bidlack Family.--In the struggle for Independence there was no more heroic and self-sacrificing family in the Wyoming Valley than the Bidlacks. James Bidlack and his three sons all bore arms against the minions of King George III. One son was taken prisoner at the battle of Long Island, and died of starvation on the notorious prison ships. Another son, Benjamin, served during the entire war and witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Capt. James Bidlack Jr. commanded the Wilkes-Barre company and fell at the battle of Wyoming while leading his men. He was seized by the savage fiends and thrown on the burning logs of the fort, held down with pitchforks and tortured till he expired. The day that Captain Bidlack led his men into action, his father commanded a company of aged men and kept garrison in the fort at Plymouth.
Captain James Bidlack Jr., the second son of James Bidlack, removed to the Wyoming Valley from Connecticut in 1773. He married Abigail, daughter of Captain Shephen and Mary (Abbott) Fuller. They had four children: Stephen, Sally, Hettie and James. After the death of Captain Bidlack at Wyoming, his widow married Col. John Franklin and removed to Athens. Colonel Franklin took her children under his own roof, and thenceforward was a father to them. Stephen married Lois, daughter of Captain Samuel Ransom, and removed to Spencer, NY. Sally married Franklin Chitsey. Hettie married Patrick and removed to Michigan. James, the youngest of Captain Bidlack, born September 22, 1778, settled in Sheshequin. He married in 1803, Esther, daughter of Daniel Moore, a native of Ireland. Mr. Bidlack first located on Orange Hill, on the line between Sheshequin and Litchfield, then lived for a time on the M.F. Smith place, and in 1822 located permanently at Ghent on the farm now occupied by his son, Daniel M. He was accidentally killed April 30, 1828, while loading a raft at Sheshequin. The children of James and Esther Bidlack were: Anson, born May 7, 1804; died unmarried April 14, 1865. He occupied the homestead and kept the family together after his father’s death. Mary, born January 20, 1806, married Joseph McKinney of Athens: died May 10, 1891. Sally, born September 28, 1808, married Philip Verbeck; died March 11, 1883, North Ghent. Lydia, born July 20, 1811, married Samuel P. Wolcott of Litchfield: died at the age of 72 years. Zipporah, born August 5, 1816, married John E. Horton of Ghent; died April 12, 1895. Abigail, born October 17, 1818, married Martin V.B. Towner of Rome: died on Towner Hill at the age of 76 years. James, born January 3, 1821, married Laura Russell of Rome: resides in Windham. Daniel M., born April 23, 1823, married Caroline, daughter of Cornelius Smith: occupies the farm on which he was born and has always lived. Stephen, born April 10, 1826, married Ethelinda Vibbert: resides at Ghent. Esther, wife of James Bidlack, born May 16, 1787, died August 28, 1863.
Josiah Tuttle, a native of Connecticut, born October 28, 1774, came to Ulster in or before 1794, and occupied lands which he sold to Charrick Westbrook. In 1799 he removed to Hornbrook, where he purchased the property now owned by J.F. Blackman. He had married Jerusha, daughter of Chester Bingham of Ulster. The latter, in 1783, when a child eight years old, was brought by her parents on horseback over the mountains from Wilkes-Barre to Wysox. Mr. Tuttle continued to make improvements on his purchase till his death, June 21, 1830. He was noted for his benevolence and was a sincere Mason. He and his wife were faithful Universalists and original members of the first class of that denomination in the county. They reared a family of seven stalwart sons (all six feet or over tall) and three daughters. They were: Chester, Dorinda, Edwin, Joseph B., Albert, Calvin W., William C., Eliza E., Ethan B. and Sarah A. Chester, born June 18, 1795, died January 5, 1848. Dorinda, born March 10, 1799, married a Mr. Lemon, removed to Potter county, Pa., thence to Minnesota, where she died October 25, 1862. Edwin, born January 17, 1803, married Keziah Kinner, resided in Rome township where he died. Joseph B., born May 5, 1805, married Eliza, daughter of William Horton, removed to McHenry county, Ill., where he died. Albert, born July 23, 1807, married Delight, daughter of William Horton, and removed to New Ulm, Minn., where he became a man of prominence. He was several times a member of the State Legislature. During the Sioux outbreak in 1863, his son, William, a son-in-law and a nephew were slain in the massacre near New Ulm. Calvin W., born August 8, 1810 , married Julia, daughter of Peter Barnard, removed to Minnesota, where he practiced law and died. William C., born March 20, 1813, married Permilla Horton (widow of Isaac Smith) and settled in Litchfield where he died May 20, 1889. Eliza E., born March 31, 1814, married Albert Hebard, died in Minnesota, August 22, 1861. Ethan B., born March 26, 1817, married Lucinda, daughter of Joshua Horton, died in Ulster, October 15, 1869. Sarah A.., born December 6, 1819, married Francis S. Ayer, died in Sheshequin, September 30, 1868. Jerusha (Bingham) Tuttle, born December 17, 1774, spent her closing days with her daughter, Mrs. Ayer. She bore her part nobly in the struggles incident to pioneer life, was a devoted Christian mother and “a strict disciplinarian.” She died November 28, 1857, and is buried beside her husband in the Hornbrook Cemetery.
Joseph Salisbury, who purchased of John Newlle, came to the Hornbrook settlement in 1799. He sold his claim to other parties, and in 1803 removed to the State of New York.
James Shores came to Hornbrook about 1799, and settled the place until recently owned by Mrs. Barnes. He was a blacksmith, and is remembered going about the neighborhood with his kit of tools, and it was called in those days, “whipping the cat.” He died March 5, 1837, aged 63 years. His wife, Elizabeth (Hamilton), died October 18, 1853, in her 74th year. Their children were: Stephen, Jonathan, Silas H., Elmer, Eliza, Sally, Nancy and Diantha. Stephen, born February 14, 1801 married Diana, daughter of Richard Horton; lived in Sheshequin, where he died, August 31, 1877. Silas H., born February 9, 1815, married Eve Ann, daughter of Jeremiah Kilmer: lived in Sheshequin, died June 1, 1883. Elmer joined his sisters in Illinois: while East on a visit he sickened and died, September 25, 1847, in his 30th year: he was unmarried. Eliza, born December 31, 1807, married Richard, son of Richard Horton, and after his death, Abram Barner; died May 7, 1898. Sally married William, son of Joshua Horton. Jonathan married Sarah Merithew and removed to Michigan where he died. Nancy married William Ferguson and removed to Illinois. Diantha went to Illinois with her sister, Mrs. Ferguson, where she married James Smith and reared a family; after the death of Mr. Smith she married a Mr. Bennefield.
Daniel Moore, a native of Ireland, came to America as a soldier in the British army during the Revolutionary war. He left the service of King George, never to return to the mother country. In 1785 he came to Tioga and located on lands east of the river. About 1790 he established a ferry at the Park’s place, which he continued to operate several years. He then joined the Upper Sheshequin settlement, and died finally at Orange Hill about 1830. Of his children: Esther married James Bidlack; Zipporah married Richard Lent of Rome; Polly married a Mr. Millett; John was a noted river pilot.
Samuel Bartlett, a native of Vermont, who was reared near the Green Mountains and served as a captain of one of the companies in Gen. Ethan Allen’s brigade in the Revolutionary war, came to Sheshequin and located on the farm now owned by Judson Macafee about 1800. He purchased a large tract of land, which he occupied till his death, July 1, 1810, at the age of 64 years. In Vermon the had married a Miss Meigs, who died before his emigration “West.” Their children were: Timothy, Hannah, Statira, Mary and Samuel. Timothy came to Sheshequin with his father. He married Huldah, daughter of Zephon Flower of Athens, and occupied a portion of the homestead farm, where he died February 1, 1821, aged 31 years. He had one son and a daughter. The son, at about the age of 14 years, was crossing the river on the ice with a horse and cutter, when the ice gave way and both he and the horse were drowned. The daughter, Mary, married Lathrop Smith of Horseheads, NY. Hannah married Cornelius Younglove and settled at Hammondsport, NY. Statira married a Mr. Clapp and settled in Washington county, NY. Mary married Samuel Hoyt, came to Sheshequin with her husband and died there August 9, 1849, in her 71st year. Samuel came from Vermont with his father and lived on the farm with him. He married Phoebe, daughter of Capt. Jeremiah Shaw. He took a prominent part in the early political struggles of the county and was elected county auditor in 1819. About 1834 he sold his interests to Colonel Kingsbury and removed to Michigan.
Adrian Post, whose ancestors were from Holland, came to Sheshequin with his family about 1801. He sold his property in what is now Paterson, NJ., with a view of locating in the Lake country. In the course of his journey he drifted into Sheshequin, and settled permanently on lands now owned by Lawrence Post and others. Here he and his wife died, the former about 1806 and the latter about 1835. Their remains repose in the Post cemetery, the grave of Mr. Post, it is claimed, being the first made there. The children of Adrian Post were: Peter, John, Elias, Aaron, Margaret, Anna and Sally. Peter never married, lived and died on the homestead. John occupied a portion of the homestead and died there. He married Betsy, daughter of Samuel Shores of Wysox. Their children were: Anna (Mrs. Elisha Newell), Lorena, (Mrs. William Morris), Matilda (Mrs. David Kilmer), Ellen (Mrs. Leander Burlingame) and Dennis. Elias owned a portion of the homestead on which he lived. He married Lucretia, daughter of John Elliott. Their children were: William, Joseph, Lottie, Anna (Mrs. Chester Childs), Jane (Mrs. Pratt Mosier), Lesulph (Mrs. James Shultz), James and Victor E. Aaron also occupied a part of the homestead. He was a noted old-time padagogue. He was self-taught and began teaching at the age of 17 years, continuing for forty terms. As a mathematician, he possessed unusual talents. He married Cynthia Landrus, and had the following children: Lucretia (Mrs. Stephen Vosburg), Lorenzo D., Lemuel L., Martha (Mrs. Andrew Smith), John R., Margaret (Mrs. Charles H. Preston), Laura, (Mrs. Horton Shores) and Ezmorelda (Mrs. Llewellyn Harris). Margaret married Joshua Shores. Anna married William Shores. Sarah (“Sally”) married first Nathaniel Fuller and second David Kenyon.
The Smiths.--The Hornbrook settlement and that at North Towanda, for many years, formed the most important settlement in the old town of Claverack. In 1785, Jonas Smith of Connecticut and his son, Nathan, took up 200 acres of land, under Strong & Hogaboom, in what is now North Towanda, “bounded by the river and Sugar Creek, and known in the sub-division of the township as Numbers 69 and 70.” Mr. Smith had married Mercy Buxton. Their children were: Jesse, Lydia, (Rev.) Nathan, Enos, John, Sarah, Joseph and Charles. The father died between 1799 and 1802, and is probably buried in the old cemetery on the Bishop Horton place. His widow afterwards married William Coolbaugh. She died August 9, 1822, aged 78 years, and is buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. Of the children--Sarah married Isaac Horton. John was frozen to death while hunting. His children were: Mercy (Mrs. Samuel Landrus), Fanny (1st Mrs. William Lane, 2d Mrs. John Gustin), Elizabeth, Phoebe, Isaac and John. The widow, Phoebe Smith, subsequently married Lemuel Landrus.
JESSE, born November 25, 1766, married Jane Miller. About 1802 he settled the Gard place on the line between Sheshequin and Wysox. He cleared the greater portion of the farm, where he died December 23, 1843. His wife, born September 21, 1766, died March 15, 1844. Both are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. Their children were: Sarah, John M., James, Rachel, Jonas, Polly, Betsy, William, Jesse, Jane and Anna. Sarah, born April 21, 1787, married Lemuel Streeter of Wysox and removed to Illinois. John M., born December 24, 1788, married Rachel, daughter of Benjamin Brink. About the time of his marriage in 1808, he settled on the place now occupied by John Wanck, where he toiled, reared a large family and died July 14, 1864. His wife, born March 23, 1791, died March 7, 1872. Their children were: Benjamin, born August 19, 1809, married Eliza McGill; died August 3, 1891. Isaac, born May 20, 1811, married Permilla Horton; died September 30, 1839. John B., born December 6, 1812, married Lucinda Horton; died September 21, 1881. Calvin, born March 26, 1815, married Catherine Myers of Indiana; died September 19, 1894. Curtis, born June 16, 1816, married Betsy Gardner of Indiana; died December 22, 1889. George, born January 26, 1818, married Matilda Chaffee; died August 9, 1901. Guy, born May 6, 1819, married Lucinda Horton; died July 24, 1889. Elizabeth, born December 23, 1820, married Richard C. Horton; died March 9, 1894. Electa, born August 30, 1822, married George Heath; died July 28, 1901. Harry, born March 23, 1824, married Abigail Chaffee; died March 12, 1893. Miller, born December 28, 1826, married Jane Rundell; died February 16, 1902. Jay, born June 13, 1827, drowned July 10, 1845, while bathing in the river with others at Hornbrook. Charles, born March 6, 1830, married Melissa Allen; died January 22, 1902. Mary Ann, born May 18, 1834, married first Hiram Bowman, second Henry Vann; died February 11, 1885. Clark and Rachel died in early childhood. Rachel, born December 21, 1792, married Daniel Brink and removed to Illinois. Jonas, born October 3, 1794, settled in Sheshequin, but spent the last few years of his life in Williamsport, Pa. Polly, born September 29, 1796, married Ebenezer P. Clark; died August 19, 1867, and is buried at Wyalusing. Betsy, born December 26, 1798, married Alanson Lovelace; died in Sheshequin, January 8, 1866. William, born January 29, 1805, married Jane Blauvelt; removed to East Waverly, NY, where he was accidentally killed by the bursting of a gun. Jesse, born March 31, 1807, married Anna, daughter of Joseph Lent, and occupied the farm adjoining the homestead; died August 26, 1871. Jane, born August 25, 1809, married William Foster and removed to other parts. Anna, born December 17, 1811, married Harry Lent and removed to Potter county, Pa.
Zebulon Butler, who had married Jemima, daughter of Capt. Jabez Fish, came to Sheshequin from Wilkes-Barre in 1803. He brought with him a stock of goods which he sold to the settlers. He occupied a small framed house, with Harry Spalding, on the property near the present residence of William Snyder. Here the store was kept. Butler exchanged his property for lots in Wilkes-Barre with Captain Fish in 1809 and removed from the town.
Nathaniel Fuller, who had married Sally, daughter of Adrian Post, came from New Jersey to Sheshequin with his father-in-law’s family. He enlisted in the War of 1812 and was killed in an engagement with the enemy. He left one son; his widow afterwards married David Kenyon. The son, Richard H., born August 16, 1811, was reared in the family of his uncle, Elias Post. He married Celinda, daughter of Col. Franklin Blackman. For many years he was a contractor and builder in masonry. In 1850 he removed to East Waverly, where he died June 7, 1880. His wife died December 17, 1898, in her 83d year. Their children were: Charles R., Lois (Mrs. I.N. Andre), George L., Eunice E. (Mrs. Edward Rose), Harriet E. (Mrs. Charles Cunamon), Frank A., Miner P., and one daughter and three sons dying in childhood.
Ebenezer Segar, a native of Brattsboro, Vt., removed with his father, Henry Segar, to what is now LeRoy township about 1800. In 1805 he came to Sheshequin, married Josiah Marshall’s widow and occupied the Marshall homestead until the time of his death. His children were: Amanda, Patience Lenity, Charles E., Collins M., Julia and Henry. Amanda, born April 28, 1806, married John Brink, died May 26, 1892. Patience L., born May 13, 1808, married Uriah Shaw, died January 15, 1900. Charles E., born March 16, 1810, married Martha Slawson of Nichols, NY., died in Sheshequin, December 3, 1887. Collins M., born June, 1812, married Charlotte, daughter of William Spalding, and occupied the homestead for many years; died in Sayre, October 23, 1896. Julia, born July 18, 1814, married Benjamin Brown of Wyalusing. Henry, born February 15, 1817, married first Almira Rogers of Litchfield, second Maria P. Lockwood of Ulster, and resides at Ulster. Both Mr. Segar and wife are buried in the family plot on the Towner place.
John Christian Forbes was born October 25, 1759, at Brunswick, Germany, where his father was a large stock raiser. When he was sixteen years old he was sent by his father to deliver to the coast a drove of cattle, which he had sold to the British Government. Officers of the British vessel persuaded him to go aboard on the promise that the ship would land near his home, and much sooner than he could travel overland. After the vessel was out of sight of land, it dawned upon the young drover that he had been tricked and was being carried to some other part of the world. When he was finally landed it was America, being informed at the same time that he would be compelled to serve in the British army. He continued with the King’s troops until a good opportunity presented itself, then deserted and espoused the American cause, giving his aid in the struggle for Independence till the close of the war. He settled on the Delaware in Delaware county, NY, where, July 3, 1783, he married Deborah Williams. In 1806 he came to Sheshequin with his family. He located at first where the Valley House now stands, and two years later purchased and moved on to the place now known as the Peck farm. Here he continued to reside until after the death of his wife, when he lived among his children. He is remembered as “a kindly, Christian old gentleman.” He died April 19, 1853, aged 93 ½ years. His wife, Deborah, born in Delaware county, NY, August 30, 1764, died September 26, 1837. Their children, all of whom were born in Delaware county, except the two youngest, were: Ernest, Hannah, Catharine, Polly, Eunice, Elisha, William, Francis, Archibald, Montgomery and Charles. Ernest, born April 6, 1784, married Polly Smith, died in Rome, April 30, 1860. Hannah, born September 17, 1786, married Lawrence Rose, died in Sheshequin, June 3, 1839. Catharine, born April 23, 1789, married Isaac I. Lowe, died in Athens, September, 1873. Polly, born April 21, 1791, married Benjamin Brink, died at Athens, June 10, 1877. Eunice, born April 16, 1793, married John Hicks, died at Rome, April 8, 1877. Elisha, born March 13, 1795, married first Lucy Newell, second Sally Eastman, died in Sheshequin, September 27, 1834. William, born November 20, 1798, married Hettie Kendall, died in Indiana in 1881. Francis, born October 10, 1801, married Sally Horton, died in Indiana in 1882. Archibald, born June 22, 1805, married Hester Brink, died at Reniff, NY, December 18, 1883. Montgomery died in infancy. Charles, born April 13, 1810, married Julia Snyder, died in Rome, May 3, 1852.
William Presher was “the pioneer miller.” Upon coming to the Valley he saw the great need of a grist-mill for the accommodation of the settlers. He laid the matter before Judge Gore, who encouraged such an enterprise and offered assistance if he (Presher) would make the venture. Accordingly, the following contract was entered into:
“This indenture made the 6th day of June, 1807, by and between Obadiah Gore of Ulster Township, county of Lycoming and State of Pennsylvania, on the one part, and William Presher of the same place, witnesseth: That the said Obadiah Gore, for the consideration hereafter mentioned, hath demised, granted, and for use let, unto the said William Presher, his heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, the following described premises, viz: A sufficient piece of ground for a mill seat and yard for a grist-mill and other water works on Island Cove, together with a road from the main road on the east side of the river, opposite said mill seat to the same, (said Presher having undertaken to set up mills at the place aforesaid) with all the privileges and appurtenances thereunto belonging. To have and to hold the said demised premises, with their appurtenances for and during the term the said Island Cove mill seat may be considered a suitable place for mills, or water work machinery, or so long as the said Presher of his assigns shall keep it in repair, and the said Gore to be at one-half of the expense (except whisky) and the said William Presher for himself, his heirs and assigns doth covenant and agree to allow and pay to the said Obadiah Gore the one-half of the profits arising from the said grist-mill so long as the same shall be kept in operation. And the parties aforesaid for themselves respectively each with the other and their respective heirs, executors and administrators do hereby agree to abide by the above article. In witness whereof the parties aforesaid have hereunto interchangeably set our hands and seals. In presence of Avery Gore.
The said mill was erected by Presher and stood on the bank of the river a few rods northwest of the residence of S.G. Marshall. Presher continued to operate his mill till the time of his death, July, 1822, when it passed into the hands of Avery Gore.
Captain Jabez Fish, born at Groton, Conn., July 25, 1741, was one of the first settlers at Wilkes-Barre. He joined Captain Bidlack’s company and was in the battle of Wyoming. Of the 32 men in the company engaged, he was one of the eight who escaped. He secreted himself in the long grass, and so close were the savages he feared his own heart-beats would reveal his hiding place. While in this awful position he listened to the screams and cries of women and children as the terrible butchery went on. “Mrs. Fish supposed her husband to have fallen, and hastened with her children through the wilderness. Overcame with fatigue and want, her infant died. Sitting down a moment on a stone to see it draw its last breath, she gazed in its face with unutterable anguish. There was no way to dig a grave--and to leave it to be devoured by wolves, seemed worse than death, so she took the dead babe in her arms and carried it twenty miles, when she came to a German settlement. Though poor, they have her food, made a box for the child, attended her to the graveyard and decently buried it, kindly bidding her welcome till she should be rested.” In 1809, Captain Fish exchanged his property in Wilkes-Barre (which became very valuable) for 350 acres of land in Sheshequin. He came on and occupied that portion of it, now owned by his grandson. Lloyd Fish, next above the Universalist church. Here he died April 16, 1814. He married for his first wife Sarah Avery, sister of Mrs. Judge Gore. Of their children: Jemima married Zebulon Butler. A son, Thomas, remained at Wilkes-Barre. In 1797, Captain Fish married for his second wife Susanna Dana. Their children were: Maria, Jabez, Diantha and Lemira. Maria, born at Wilkes-Barre, April 4, 1798, married Jesse Brown, died in Sheshequin, July 16, 1847. Children--Ethlyn (Mrs. Elijah A. Parsons) and Mary (Mrs. Levi Wells). Jabez, born at Wilkes-Barre, August 3, 1799, inherited the homestead which he occupied till the time of his death, March 15, 1876. He married Amanda, daughter of Moses Park. Children--Elvira (Mrs. Oscar Smith); Susan died unmarried; George W. married first Ruth A. Kinney, second Anna D. Parsons, resides at Waverly; Jabez died unmarried; Lloyd married Lucy A. Gore and occupies the homestead. Diantha, born June 15, 1801, married Alvin Dana of Almond, Alleghany county, NY, died in the West. Lemira, born at Wilkes-Barre, July 25, 1803, married Chester Park, a merchant of Athens. Susanna Dana Fish, born at Ashford, Conn., January 11, 1762, died in Sheshequin, April 4, 1844.
A Negro Family by the name of Chintz were the first colored people to come to Sheshequin. They settled near Judge Gore’s in or before 1792. Of the family, Jacob, Peter and Phebe are remembered.
Comers and Goers.--For twenty-five years after General Spalding and Judge Gore had located in Sheshequin, many persons who did not become permanent residents, joined their settlement for longer and shorter periods. Some tarried for a time, until they could establish homes in the wilderness of the surrounding country ; others, of a migratory nature, left for whatever fields their fancy of adventure or opportunity for wealth, induced them.
Sheshequin in 1795.--The French traveller, the Duke de la Rochefoucault Liancourt, passed up the Susquehanna in 1795. On the 2d of June he reached what is now Ulster, and in his “Travels,” published in 1799, comments on Old and New Sheshequin, as follows: “We stopped at Solomon Tracy’s to rest our horses. This planter occupies an estate of 500 acres, only 30 of which are yet cleared and which belongs to the village of Old Sheshequin. Its owner arrived here about five years ago from the county of Orange in the State of New York; but he now intends to settle in Genesee; and , consequently, wishes to dispose of his plantation, which he holds from the State of Connecticut; the price he demands is $5,390, that is to say, about ten dollars and three-fourths per acre. Another landholder, at whose house we stopped to procure directions about the road, intimated to us a similar design, as he mistook us for land jobbers. His plantation consisted of 300 acres, 60 of which were cleared, with a corn and a saw mill, which he estimated at $1, 300. He asked for the whole estate $2, 600, which is tantamount to eight dollars and a half per acre. The state of agriculture is no better here than in the other parts of Pennsylvania, and even worse than in many of them, all the plantations being in that infant state where the soil yields rich crops without cultivation. The settlers are doubtful whether their rights to their possessions will be confirmed, have much business upon their hands, and are in general little able to advance money for the improvement of their lands so that they hardly give themselves the trouble even to plough up the ground. For this purpose they make use of oxen, the medium price of a yoke of which is $70. Wheat commonly sells for one dollar a bushel, rye for four shillings and oats from two shillings and six pence to three shillings. There are two schools in the neighboring country, which are both kept by women who teach needle-work and reading. To learn to read is, therefore, the only instruction which boys can obtain here. These schools are maintained solely by the fee of five shillings a quarter paid by each scholar. They are evidently insufficient, yet they are schools; and these are yet very rare in Pennsylvania. No place has been hitherto set apart here for religious worship. They who desire to perform this, assemble in private houses and engage a preacher for a yearly salary, which, however, is very small. Families of Methodists constitute the principal part of the inhabitants. On the other side of the river stands New Sheshequin, a small neat town, containing about twelve houses, which are built either of logs or rough boards. It is seated in a very pleasant plain. The justice of the peace, the surgeon and the pastor of the neighboring country reside in this place. It contains shops, in short, all those things which are found only in a principal town.”
As Seen in 1804.-- In the month of October, 1804, Alexander Wilson, the celebrated ornithologist, with two companions visited Niagara Falls. He wrote a rhyming description of his journey, called the “Foresters,” of which the following extract describes a night of Judge Gore’s and that portion of the journey through Sheshequin:
“Twas now dull twilight ; trudging on we keep
Where giddy Breakneck nods above the steep,
And down the darkening forests slowly steer
Where woods, receding, show a dwelling near,
A painted frame, tall barracks filled with hay,
Clean whitewashed railings raised along the way;
Young poplars, mixed with weeping willows green,
Rose o’er the gate, and fringed the walk within,
An air of neatness, gracing all around,
Bespoke that courtesy we so quickly found :
The aged judge, in grave apparel dressed,
To cushioned chairs invites each weary guest:
O’er the rich carpet bids the table rise,
With all the sweets that India’s clime supplies.
And supper served with elegance; the glass
In sober circuit was allowed to pass.
The reverend sire, with sons and grandsons round,
Ruddy as health, by summer suns embrowned,
Inquires our road and news with modest mien :
Tells of the countries he himself has seen,
His Indian battles, midnight ambuscades,
Wounds and captivity in the forest glades;
And with such winning, interesting store
Of wildwood tales and literary lore,
Beguiled the evening and engaged each heart,
That, though sleep summoned, we were loth to part :
And e’en in bed reposed, the listening ear
Seemed still the accents of the sage to hear.
The morning came; ye gods ! how quickly hies
To weary folks the hour when they must rise !
Groping around, we fixed our various load,
And full equipt forth issued to the road.
Inured to toil, the woods slide swiftly past,
O’er many an opening farm our eyes were cast ;
Here rich, flat meadows most luxuriant lie,
Some gleaming orchards gladly we espy ;
Full-loaded peach-trees, drooping hung around,
Their mellow fruit thick scattered o’er the ground.
Six cents procured us a sufficient store,
Our napkins crammed, and pockets running o’er:
Delicious fare, --nor did we prize them less
Than Jews did manna in the wilderness.
Still journeying on the river’s bank we keep,
And pass the Narrows’ high and dangerous steep,
That to the clouds like touring Atlas soars,
While deep below the parted river soars.”
End of page 171