History of Sheshequin 1777---1902
C. F. Heverly
|00||05||24||56||76||96||116||172||208||226||249||267||294||308||318||332||334||351||373||Table of Contents|
Settlers From 1812 to 1840.
SAMUEL HOYT, a native of Guilford, Conn., who had married Mary, daughter of Samuel Bartlett of Vermont, after the removal of the latter to Sheshequin, also came with his family in 1812. He settled on the place now owned by Hiram Shores. He was a cabinet maker and carpenter by occupation, being especially noted for his skill as a builder. He was the first mechanic in that section of the country to use the square in laying out his frame work; and when he put up his first building, after coming to Sheshequin—the Snyder house—people came for miles around to see the frame. A large number of the houses and barns in the valley were constructed by him. Mrs. Hoyt was a celebrated tailoress and made fine suits for men. She was patronized from all the surrounding neighborhoods, and so busy was she kept plying the needle, that she frequently had the aid of a half dozen assistants. Mr. Hoyt died on the homestead, December 21, 1842, aged 73 years and 6 months. His wife died August 9, 1849, aged 70 years and 5 months. Their children were: Chlotilda, Hannah M., Statira, Samuel B. and Giles M. Chlotilda married Obadiah Spalding. Hannah M., married Samuel Marshall. Statira, born March 19, 1807 married Amos P. Spalding of Athens, died July 28, 1855. Samuel B. married first Flora Ames of Sackett Harbor, N.Y., second Mrs. Matilda Angle of Sheshequin; occupied the homestead for some years, then removed to Athens, where he died. Giles M., born March 20, 1820, married Almira Green of Green’s Landing, where he and his wife reside on the farm where they began life’s struggles together in 1839.
Peter Barnard came to Sheshequin in or before 1812. He married Roba, daughter of Abel Newell, and settled the farm now owned by Bird and Burton Gillett. He was a hard working man and cleared a considerable part of his farm. After the death of his wife, he disposed of his property and removed to Illinois, where he died. His children were: George, Julia, Sally, Polly, Lucy and Martha. George went to Illinois: Julia married Calvin Tuttle, and Sally a Collins.
Isaac I. Low, a blacksmith and nailer by trade, came to the town about 1812 and pursued the former occupation. In 1836 he removed to Athens village where he died. He married Catharine, daughter of John C. Forbes, and had children—Martha (Mrs. Spencer Elson), Polly, John Christian Forbes, Isaac, Luther, Sarah (Mrs. James Wilson) and Olive (Mrs. Henry Hewett) John C. F. commonly known as "Forbes Low," born October 2, 1816, is still living. He was a noted huntsman and waterman, and has many interesting recollection of early days.
John Lyons, a native of Ithaca, N.Y., who had married Jemima, daughter of Richard Horton, came to the Hornbrook settlement in 1813. He was a lumberman, and about 1840 removed to Standing Stone. His children were: Isaac, Richard, John, Elizabeth (Mrs. Mabu Horton), Rachel (Mrs. John Bish), Anna J. (Mrs. Christmas Hainesworth), Diana (Mrs. Alonzo Barns) and Mahala (Mrs. F. M. Maynard). The eldest son, Isaac, became a prominent and influential business man, and was elected county commissioner in 1861. He died at his home in Allis Hollow, March 27, 1902, aged 86 years.
Freeman Gillett came to Sheshequin in about 1813. He was a carpenter and joiner of superior skill. Among the building erected by him, were the Warren Gillett house, the Ensley Gillett house and the old Sheshequin church, He spent his last days with a daughter in Springfield township.
John Elliott.—The family from whom John Elliott descended came from the north of Ireland during the colonial period and settled at Albany, N.Y. "John Elliott and his brother, William, living near the Connecticut line, heard much of the Susquehanna country in its praise, more especially that part of it claimed by that State, and, therefore, the former and Joseph (the oldest son of William) packed their knapsacks and started on foot in the spring of 1803 to view the land for themselves, with a view to bring the families for settlement. The arrived in due time in Wysox, where John rented a farm of the widow Moger. He raised some corn and sowed some rye, and in company with his nephew cleared eight acres of new land and sowed it to wheat—the sowing produced good crops of both cereals. They returned to their homes late in the fall, and preparations for the removal of the families to the new country at once were commenced. Three span of horses and as many sleighs were loaded with the household goods and supplies, and the two families, numbering in all twenty persons, young and old, among them an aged grandmother. They crossed the Hudson and Catskill on the ice, as well as every other stream in their way, and drove on the ice from Old Sheshequin to the cabin of William Means at Towanda, where they were furnished entertainment for the night." William rented Mr. Means’ farm in Wysox, where he remained one year, then removed to Rome township, where he died at the age of 95 years. John continued to reside in Wysox till 1814, when he removed to Sheshequin and followed the occupation of shoemaker. His residence at different times was Hornbrook and Ghent. His wife was Elizabeth Snyder, a German woman. She died April 14, 1818, in her 47th year, and Mr. Elliott, July 4, 1857, in his 88th year. Their children were: Joseph, Hannah, Lucinda, Polly, Rachel, and Lucretia. Joseph married Jemima, daughter of Eli- 176 jah M. Horton. He owned the Elsbree farm at Hornbrook, which he sold in 1871, and removed to Kansas with his family, where he died two years later. His wife died a few years since, at the age of 94 years. Their children were: Isaac, William H., Joseph M., Urbain, Sally (Mrs. Ulysses Horton) and Jemima (Mrs. Thomas McMahon). Isaac died in Sheshequin; Sally resides at Hornbrook; the others removed to Kansas, Urbain since having died. Hannah married Isaac S. Horton, lived at Ghent, died March 7, 1877, in her 85th year. Polly married William Russell of Rome. Rachel married Daniel Hill of Sheshequin, died July 23, 1869, age 55 years. Zucretia married Elias Post.
Dr. Zadoc Gillett, a native of Granville, Mass., came to Sheshequin in 1815 and located on the place of now Warren Gillett. He had quite an extensive practice. After some years’ residence in Sheshequin he removed to Canada, where, during an epidemic of cholera he lost his wife and several children. He then returned to Sheshequin and practiced for a time, finally removed to Albany township where he died. He was the father of the late Jerome B. Gillett of Hornbrook.
Earl Mastin, a shoemaker by trade, was one of the earliest settlers in the Ghent neighborhood. It is related that "Mastin and his wife were somewhat rare specimens of humanity. In one of their drunken carousels they got into a fight, which resulting rather as a draw game, the belligerents agreed to a dissolution of partnership. After some days of sober reflection. Mastin came to the conclu-
177 sion that he would make overtures for the resumption of amicable relations, but fearing the reception of his terms, if presented by himself, would be prejudiced, he decided to employ an ambassador, and therefore applied to Silas Gore, who undertook to negotiate a peace with the irascible woman. Mr. Gore brought the parties to his own house as neutral ground, and, after considerable diplomacy, articles of peace and amity were agreed upon and the reunited pair went home rejoicing. Just previous to that time articles of peace had been signed at Ghent in Belgium, between Great Britain and the United States, and Dr. Zadoc Gillett gave the locality the name of Ghent, which designation is likely to be retained a long time, in commemoration of the reconciliation of that novel pioneer pair." On a plain stone slab in the Sheshequin cemetery, the following imperfect inscription may be read "Here lies Sally Ann, wife of Earl Mastin, who died April 27, 1824, age 36 years, 5 months and 27 days.
"As I am now so you must be,
Prepare to die and follow me."
Mastin is remembered as being a "great fifer" He had sons, Charles and James.
Thadius Hemenway, who had served with the Massachusetts troops five years in the Revolutionary war and took part in the battles of Stillwater, Newport and Lake George, came to Sheshequin in or before 1813. He spent his last years in the Ghent neighborhood and Rome. The old patriot was fond of repeating the following:
178 "Hicks and Gibbs marched along from Watertown to glory:
Hemenway composed a song, and Bump told hunting stories."
His children, who married as follows, were: Sarah, to Gersham Towner; John, to Debby Hawkins; Joseph, to Pamelia Shipman; Levi, to Elizabeth Brague; Larisa, to Abraham Towner; William, to Rachel _____. Mr. Hemenway died in Rome township, his wife, Lavina, surviving him some years.
John Ditrich, who came to America as a Hessian soldier, during the Revolutionary war, remained here and in 1816 found his way into Sheshequin, settling the farm now owned by his great-grandson, Edward M. Vought. He improved a considerable part of the place and died thereon, April 11, 1840, aged 85 years. His wife, Elizabeth, died August 12, 1846, age 83 years. Both are buried in a private plot on the farm. The children of John and Elizabeth Ditrich were: Lewis, Charlotte, Hannah and Lydia. Lewis, after some years’ residence in the town, removed to other parts; Hannah married Joseph Vought; Lydia married Peter Vought of Rome—a brother of Joseph.
Henry Hiney was an early settler on the Bidlack place at Ghent. He made and peddled brooms and became blind. His wife is remembered as an ardent Baptist. Their children were: Timothy, Henry, William, George, Christopher, and daughters, Mrs. Cyrus Wheeler and Mrs. Earl Wright.
Henry Cleveland, a blacksmith, came from the East to Sheshequin about 1817. He had a shop at the forks of the road near the Brown place. After a few years the family removed from the town.
Burgis Drake was an early settler on the Widow Miller place at Black. He was the father of Jesse R., Ebenezer, Franklin, Isaac and James. He died in the ‘20’s and was survived by his wife, Hannah, a number of years.
Matthew Wright became a resident of the town in or before 1818. He settled the Joseph Vought place at Ghent, made a considerable improvement and died there about 1838. Both he and his wife are buried on the farm. Their children were: Oswin, Earl, Polly (Mrs. Larman H. Elliott), Sally (Mrs. Timothy Hiney), Druzella (Mrs. Reuben Perry), Margaret (Mrs. Hiram Perry) and Betsy. Oswin was the fiddler at the old-time dances and "apple bees."
Moses Woodburn, son of George and Mary (Putnam) Woodburn, was born at Stonington, Conn, October 2, 1764. His ancestory, John Woodburn, came from Ireland, landing at Boston in 1718, but three years later settled at Londonderry, N.H. Upon the breaking out of the Revolution, Moses was residing in Stonington, where in September, 1779, he enlisted as a private in the company of Captain Rathborn and served eight months: he re-enlisted three times, as follows: June, 1780, as a private in the company of Captain Douglass, Colonel Starr’s regiment, served six months; June 1781, as a mariner on U.S. brig Marquis Lafayette, served eight months; June 1782, as a mariner on U.S. brig Ran-
180 dolph and served two months. He assisted in capturing several prizes at sea, and was one of the guards that conducted Major Andre to be executed. One of Mr. Woodburn’s granddaughter says: When a child I remember hearing grandfather tell how Major Andre knelt in tears to General Washington and begged to be shot, and how Washington offered Andre his life if he would reveal the whole plot, but the brave young Englishman proudly answered, "No;"saying "I was born a gentleman though I die a scandalous death;" General Washington wept, as did all the soldiers." After the war, Moses removed with his father’s family to Cherry Valley, N.Y., whence in 1808, in company with two brothers. Naphtali and John, he came to Wysox, purchased land, and with his brother, Naphtali, built a saw mill on Wysox Creek. Twice the mill was burned, and having labored hard he became discouraged, sold out his interests and in 1818 removed to Sheshequin, settling on the farm now owned by T. R. Macafee. Here after he had got comfortably situated, he met with another misfortune. While all were away from home but his aged mother, the house caught fire and burned with all their clothing, furniture and store of provisions. After suffering many hardships, another, a double-hewed log house was erected, in which Mr. Woodburn continued to reside until his death—December 30, 1836. He had married before removing to Bradford county, Sena Wright, daughter of Edward and Chloe (Pomeroy) Wright. They had three children: Sally, who married Renselaer J. Jenks of Warren: Aseneth married Thomas Roger Davies of Athens, and Nancy Marietta married Ezra Pelton of Athens. Mr. Woodburn is remembered as "an industrious, kindly old gentleman." He was given a pension, under the Act of 1832, for his services in the war of the Revolution. He is buried on the farm where he spent his closing days.
Renselaer J. Jenks came to Sheshequin with his father-in-law, Moses Woodburn, and occupied a piece of land adjoining him. In 1830 he was commissioned a justice of the peace, and in 1833 opened a store at Hornbrook in the present tenement house of John H. Chaffee. His courts were held at the store. He removed West in 1836.
Warren Brown came to Upper Sheshequin, settling at the "narrow" about 1818.
George Vibbert, a native of Connecticut and soldier of the War of 1812, born July 4, 1799, came to Sheshequin about 1818. He married Betsey, daughter of Richard Horton. Their children were: Eliza Ann (Mrs. Perrin Shores)., Richard, James, William, Ethelinda, (Mrs. Stephen Bidlack) and Mary E (Mrs. John Chandler) Mr. Vibbert died November 20, 1864, and his wife (born July 21, 1802), September 15, 1885. Both are buried at Bumpville.
Warren Gillett, a native of Granville, Mass., and a brother of Dr. Zadoc Gillett, joined his brother in the new settlement in 1819. He made the following record of his removal: "October 1, 1819, I, this day moved with my family into the town of Sheshequin after a tiresome journey of 250 miles from the town of Granville, in Massa-
182 chusetts, and settled on the highlands in the 35th year of my age. "W.Gillett." Mr. Gillett had received an excellent education, and for eight years taught school in the city of New York. He returned to Massachusetts to care for his aged parents, and after the death of his father the old farm was sold to furnish means to purchase "cheap, rich lands in the new country of the West." His aged mother, Rebecca, came to Sheshequin with him. He purchased an improvement and settled on the place now including the farms of his son, Rosseter, and granddaughter, Mrs. Horace Horton. Here he lived and toiled till the close of his life. He also taught school after coming to Sheshequin. Mr. Gillett was born May 12, 1784; married July 29, 1809, to Martha Ensley of New Jersey; died September 29, 1840. Martha, his wife, was born February 22, 1781; died August 4, 1855. Their children were: Lewis Bachus, Warren Ensley, Martha Emaline, Darwin Tyron and Rosseter. Lewis B., born May 12, 1812, in New York city; married Jemima, daughter of Caleb Shores; lived on the farm now occupied by his sons, Bird and Burton; died December 17, 1803. W. Enseley, born July 8, 1814, in Massachusetts; married Sarah E., daughter of Elijah Townsend of Rome; occupied a part of the homestead farm; died September 9, 1897. Martha E., born January 14, 1817, in Massachusetts; married Hiram Saunders of Waverly, N.Y.; died August 16, 1848. Darwin T., born August 15, 1821, in Sheshequin; married Viana, daughter of Jeremiah Kilmer; lived on the farm now occupied by his son, Allen; died March 22, 1882. Rosseter, born February 26, 1826, in Sheshequin; married Mary A., daughter of Elijah Townsend, occupies a part of the farm on which he was born.
Andrew Delpuech, a French gentleman of culture, who sought a retreat for pleasure and recreation in the course of his travels, found his way into Sheshequin in 1819. He and one Theodore Audra purchased 125 acres of land, along the river, of Richard Horton. Audra sold to Mr. Delpuech and removed from the town in 1821. The same year, Mr. Delpuech sold a two-thirds interest to Francis Joseph Pesse, "lately from Switzerland," and Joseph Menardi, "lately also from Coni in Piedmont, Europe." By conditions of the sale, the three gentlemen formed themselves into an association for mutual benefits. Each was to bear one-third of the expense of such improvements as might be made; and at any time should any one of them desire to sell his interest, notice of one years was required, and the other parties concerned to be given the preference. In short, their farm was to be conducted on the socialistic plan. However, the "association" did not continue long, for in 1826, Mr. Delpuech died. Of him, it is worthy of note to state that he was a personal friend of General Lafayette, enjoying his confidence and esteem, and received letters from him after settling in Sheshequin. Mr. Pesse, born at Tours in France, died March 27, 1833, aged 63 years. The property then passed into the hands of Mrs. Delpuech, a daughter of Mr. Pesse; subsequently, her son, William J. Delpuech
184 became the owner, it now being occupied by his heirs. In Riverside cemetery, Towanda, one of the tombstones bears this inscription: "Andre Delpuech, born at Geneva, Switzerland, A.D., 1799; died March 9, 1826."
John Chandler settled at North Ghent on the farm of now Martin Payne in 1819. His children were: Andrew, Charles, John, Nathaniel, Robert, Stephen V., Polly (Mrs. John Moore), Betsy (Mrs. Ira Tompkins) and Mrs. George Hicks.
Capt. James Smith, a native of Yarmouth, England, who was educated by the British government for the marine service, came to Sheshequin in 1820, settling on the farm now owned by his son, James. Until forty years of age, his life had been spent upon the seas, during which time he made three voyages around the world and visited almost every port. He was captain of a vessel for seventeen years, and as a representative of the navy was at different times in attendance upon the King’s court. The rich dress which he wore on court occasions was preserved and brought to America with him. After coming to Sheshequin he married Rebecca Gillett, a sister of Warren and Dr. Zadoc Gillett. He never lost his fondness for the water. He constructed and operated the first sail-boat on Lake Wesauking; also had sail-boats on the river and built canal boats. Captain Smith had received an excellent education, and is remembered as a kindly gentleman of courtly manners. He died October 1, 1860, aged 76 years and 7 months. His wife died July 13, 1850, age 68 years. Their only child, James, born April 24, 1821, married Diana, daughter of Nathaniel Shores; she died May 10, 1900, age 80 years.
George Gooding, a native of Devonshire, England, after a voyage of six months, reached Sheshequin in 1820. His father was a well-to-do farmer, but the somewhat romantic spirit of the young man led him to America. Upon locating in Sheshequin, he married, in 1824, Mrs. Jane (Smith) Eggett, a native of Yarmouth, England, and sister of Capt. James Smith. Mr. Gooding settled the John Mahoney place, where he lived till 1836, when he was called to England to look after his father’s estate. Upon his return in 1840, he purchased the farm now owned and occupied by his son. Here he lived till the time of his death, May 28, 1875, age 80 years, 3 months and 8 days. The close of Mrs. Gooding’s life was pitifully sad. In 1863 she was attacked and bunted into insensibility by a neighbor’s vicious ram. Her injuries resulted in loss of reason which never returned. She died December 27, 1867, aged 73 years. By her former marriage, Mrs. Gooding had two daughters—Mary Eggett, who married O. H. P. Kinney, and Jane Eggett, who married Ralph Gore. Unto George and Jane Gooding two children were born; Edward G., March 10, 1825, married in 1847 to Mahala A. Kipp of Troy, and has always been a resident of Sheshequin; Millinie, the second wife of George Gore, now deceased.
Jonathan Thompson, a soldier of the War of 1812, came to the Hornbrook settlement in or before 1820 May 30, 1820. William Thompson conveys an "improve-
186 ment containing 73 acres" to Jonathan Thompson. This property is now embraced in the Ulysses Horton farm. Thompson continued to occupy the place till 1839, when he sold to William Gibson of Ulster. His wife, Mary, died in 1838 and he in the latter part of the 50’s. Both are buried in the Hornbrook cemetery. Samuel Thompson, a brother of Jonathan, was also a resident of the Hornbrook neighborhood for a number of years. He finally moved to Franklin township, where he died.
Nathaniel Moody, son of Nathaniel P. Moody, the first settler of Rome, came to the town about 1820 and was employed by William Snyder in his tannery. He subsequently married Mr. Snyder’s daughter, Sally. In 1833 he opened a store a few rods south of the present residence of William Snyder. This business he continued a few years under his own name, and with "Snyder & Moody" and Moody & Gore." He also kept a public house from 1838 to ’46. He died January 29, 1853, in his 53rd year.
Alexander Kennedy (originally Canada) came from Vermont to Sheshequin in 1820. He was the father of ten sons and nine daughters, one of whom, Sally, married Abraham B. Gore. In 1822 Mr. Kennedy removed to Springfield township, where he settled permanently.
Residents in 1820.—The following were the surviving taxable residents of Sheshequin in 1820, as shown by the assessment rolls (including that portion of the town subsequently given to Rome, but does not contain names of residents in territory afterwards taken from Athens and Wysox): Elijah Alger, Christopher Avery, Oliver Arnold, Alexander Canada, Avery Canada, Peter Barnard, Avery Brown, James Bidlack, Warren Brown, Benjamin Brink, Jr., Samuel Bartlett, Timothy Bartlett, Benjamin Brink, Daniel Brink, Henry Boyce, John P. Brocaw (cooper), Luther Carner (distiller), Silas Carner, Henry Cleveland (blacksmith), Joseph Elliott, John Ditrich, Elisha Forbes, Christian Forbes, Suzanna Fish, Harris Ford (distiller), Abraham Gore, Silas Gore, Avery Gore, Samuel Gore, Edward Griffin (millwright), Willard Green, Obadiah Gore, Zadock Gillett, Joel Guild, Warren Gillett, Isaac S. Horton, David Horton, Gilbert Horton, Isaac Horton, Elijah Horton, Joshua Horton, Henry Hiney, Timothy Hiney, Stephen Horton, Samuel Hoyt, Joseph Kinsbury, George Kinney, Joseph Kinney, Isaac I. Low, Daniel Moore, Samuel Marshall, Thomas Marshall, Earl Mastin (shoemaker), William Presher, William Rippeth, Mathew Rogers, John S. Rogers, James Shores (blacksmith), Peter Snyder, George Spalding, Willliam Snyder, John Smith, Ebenezer Shaw, John Spalding, Ebenezer Segar, Jonas Smith, Jonathan Thompson, Moses Woodburn, Mathew Wright, Amasa Witha (blacksmith), David Weed; single freemen, Theodore Audra, John Brink, Orson Carner, Lewis Ditrich, William Forbes, Jabez Fish, Guy Kinney, Hiram Merrill, Benjamin Snyder, John Snyder, Ulysses Spalding, Lorin Shaw.
Edmund Hill, a carpenter by occupation came from Southern New York to Sheshequin in 1821. He married Sarah, daughter of Josiah Marshall, and at first located
188 on the Mallory place. Subsequently, he moved to Orange Hill, on the Joel Macafee farm, and later purchased the Brink place at Hornbrook where he spent his last days. The Universalist church and the Ensley Gillett house are among the buildings he helped construct. In 1845 he was elected a justice of the peace, and was familiar known as "Squire Hill." "In faith he was a Universalist, in politics a Whig." He died July 31, 1856, in his 59th year; his wife died October 23, 1878, aged nearly 80 years. Their children were: Eliza M. (Mrs. James Sherwood), William K. and Emily R., of whom only the last named is living.
David Brown came to Sheshequin in or before 1821. He settled and improved the place of now P. L. Bidlack, and was quite a noted "bee keeper." He was twice married and had a large family. Of his children, Avery, Asa, William, Ruel, Joseph, Franklin, David, Porter, Philander, Lydia, Margaret and Betsy are remembered. His first wife was an Avery, sister of Mrs. Obadiah Gore. In 1840 he sold out and removed to Groton, N.Y.
Asa Hamlin, a physician, located in Sheshequin in 1822. He is said to have been the father of Orlo J. Hamlin, an artist and member of the Bradford county Bar, who became quite noted in Potter county. Dr. Hamlin early removed to other parts.
George Billings was a resident of Sheshequin in 1822. He had children: Alphonso, Leonard, Olive (Mrs. Isaac Elliott), Emily (Mrs. George Horton) and Eunice (Mrs. William Patterson). For his second wife he married the widow of Rev. David S. Blackman, and for several years occupied the Horace Horton place, from which he removed to Illinois.
John Sheeler became a resident of Sheshequin in 1823. He settled on the farm now occupied by George Menold. His children were: Arvilla (Mrs. Squire Lamoreaux), Mary (Mrs. James Ryder), Catherine, Phoebe, Esther (Mrs. Edward Jenny), Aaron, George, Archibald, Abisha, William and John.
Jesse Brown, a son of David Brown, one of the Wyalusing pioneers, settled in Sheshequin in 1823. He married Maria, daughter of Jabez Fish, and continued a resident of the town till the time of his death, November 21, 1882, in his 86th year.
Aaron French located on the Young’s place at Ghent in 1823. Hi wife was Mary Myers. Their children were: Sarah (married first Joseph E. Skinner, second Merritt Middaugh), Esther (Mrs. John Sheeler), Margaret (Mrs. James Culver), Naomi (Mrs. John Tompkins), Catherine (Mrs. Archibald Sheeler), Walter, Abisha and Aaron. The two last named were soldiers in the Civil war; Aaron died in Salisbury prison. Mr. French died January 1, 1851, aged nearly 84 years, and his wife, December 6, 1863, in her 86th year.
Lemuel Landrus came from North Towanda about 1824. He was an early settler on the George Horton place at Ghent. He subsequently moved to Hornbrook, and in 1837 went West with his family.
190 Alanson Lovelace came to Sheshequin in 1824 and settled the Mahoney place. He married Betsy, daughter of Jesse Smith. Their children were: Marvin, Stephen J., Matilda (Mrs. Henri Beloud), Lovina (Mrs. Patrick Dunn) and Jane (Mrs. Little).
Rufus M. Cooley, a shoemaker by occupation, who had married Mary, daughter of Elijah M. Horton, became a resident of the town in 1824, settling on the Martin Horton place at Ghent. He had children—Abigail, Elijah, Eliza, Polly and Jackson. In the latter part of the 30’s he sold his improvements, and with two yoke of oxen and a wagon emigrated West with his family.
Chester Park came to Sheshequin to reside in 1825. He removed to Athens in the 30’s, where he was a prominent merchant from 1835 till ’62, and died in 1881, age 79 years.
Jabez Tompkins, noted as a basket maker, came from Wayne county, Pa., to Sheshequin in 1826. He settled the Joseph Wright place, where he erected a saw mill and for many years engaged in lumbering. His wife was Hannah, sister of James Shores, by whom he had the following children: Daniel D, married Orilla Hemenway; Hiram married to Keturah Deats; John married to Naomi French; Ira married to Betsy Chandler; Martin married to Olive Deats; Harriet married to Nathan Baxter, and Eliza married to Burton Conrad. Mr. Tompkins died July 13, 1860, aged nearly 70 years; and his wife Hannah, June 11, 1857, in her 65th year.
Joseph E. Skinner located on the M. F. Smith place in 1830. He married Sally, daughter of Aaron French, and had three children, William, Oliver and Martha (Naomi). Skinner left his wife and went West; she afterwards married Merritt Middaugh. William married Sally, daughter of Stephen Newell, removed to Minnesota, became a man of prominence and was several times elected to the State Legislature. Oliver married Rachel, daughter of Archibald Forbes, and Martha became the wife of Clinton Shaw.
Dr. William S. Way came to Hornbrook in 1832, and occupied a little house in the hollow opposite the present residence of H. B. Lent. Here he taught a term of school, practiced his profession and kept the first post office established in Lower Sheshequin. He removed to other parts in 1835.
Anthony Middaugh came to the Hornbrook neighborhood in 1832. He married Charity, daughter of Timothy Culver, and had the following children: Merritt, Electa (Mrs. Caleb Ingerson), Caroline (Mrs. Thomas Weller), Timothy, Lucinda (first Mrs. George Ingerson, second Mrs. Rockwell Horton), Richard, Jane (Mrs. Alphonso Hamilton), William and Catherine (Mrs. Benjamin Forbes). Both Mr. Middaugh and his wife are buried at Hornbrook
James B. DeMoney, a lumberman, came to the town in 1832. He at first settled on the Milo Merrill place, and later engaged in lumbering operations at Center Valley. He married Nancy, daughter of David Horton, and
192 had the following children: Maria (Mrs. Isaac Horton), David, who lost his life in the Civil war; Burton A., a member of the 57th P.V., residing in Oklahoma, and William, living in Nebraska. Samuel P. DeMoney, a brother of James, was also for a time a resident of the town. He married Clarissa Tripp of Pond Hill.
The Deats Family—John Deats was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He settled in Northhampton county, Pa., where he reared a family of four sons and two daughters: Peter, Joseph, Margaret, Betsy, William and Henry. Henry, the youngest child of John and Betsy Deats, learned the shoemaker’s trade and followed that occupation. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. In 1824 he removed with his family from Northampton county to the Lake country, thence to Sheshequin in 1832. Here he continued to reside till the time of his death, May 17, 1876, in his 83rd year. He married Nancy Kitchen. Their children were: Keturah (Mrs. Hiram Tomkins), Mary (Mrs. Ebenezer Avery), John, Betsy (Mrs. Madison Heath), Sally (Mrs. Mervin Strope), Margaret (Mrs. Darius Tomkins) and Alfred C. Joseph who was a blacksmith, came to Sheshequin in 1833. He remained only a few years, removing to Big Flats, N.Y. where he died. He married Betsy Shook. Their children were: Christine, James, John, Margaret, William, Henry, Peter and Jane. William came to Sheshequin with his brother, Joseph, and also removed to Big Flats. His children were: Sally, Betsy, Christine, Harriet, John, Mary and William.
Curtis Frink, a blacksmith of superior skill, opened a shop at Kilmer’s Corners in 1832. He afterwards located on the State Road in Wysox.
Elias R. Hughes, a carpenter by occupation, came to the town in 1833. He married the widow Ames, whose first husband was a Mr. Warren. She was the mother of James Warren; William, Charles H. and Belisant (Mrs. William Johnson) Ames; and Thomas and Jane (Mrs. Orrin Lamoreaux) Hughes. Mr. Hughes died in Susquehanna county.
Elder Noel Rouse, a Christian minister, located at Hornbrook in 1834. He occupied a little house on the Chaffee farm, opposite the residence of B. F. Brigham. Here he kept a grocery and held his justice courts, having been commissioned a magistrate by Governor Ritner in 1836. He preached at the school house and became quite noted as the "marrying elder." After about five years he removed from the place.
Benjamin Stephenson, a native of England, in 1834 settled in the Ghent neighborhood on lands now embraced in the farms of Milo Merrill and Isaac Horton. He engaged in farming and lumbering. His wife was Jane Matson. Their children were: William, Benjamin, Anastagia (Mrs. Joseph Horton) and Mary (Mrs. Bennett Rice), Both the sons were soldiers in the Civil war. Mrs. Stephenson is remembered as "a very sweet singer." She and her husband are buried on the farm where they settled.
194 Parley Ayer, born at Haverhill, Mass., December 18, 1789, by occupation a woolen manufacturer, removed to Madison county, N.Y., about 1812, thence to Sheshequin in 1834. He and Edward Sickler built and operated a saw mill on the river near the present Quarry Glen club house. Later he was associated with David Horton in the old Gore grist and saw mill at Sheshequin. Afterwards he built a saw mill on Snyder Creek. He purchased timber of Jabez Fish and Zebulon Spalding, "choice of standing trees at $1 each." With his sons, Russell and Francis, he continued to manufacture lumber till 1847, when he removed to Greenwood, Ill., purchased a large farm and established a distillery. He subsequently engaged in stock raising. Mr. Ayer had married in Madison county, N.Y., December 11, 1814, Eunice Smith. Their children were: Russell, who married Wealthy Blackman; Francis S, married Sarah A. Tuttle; Charles married Dorinda Potter of Greenwood, Ill.; Caroline married first Hiram Blackman, second Henry Gerould. Mr. Ayer died at Greenwood, Ill., May 20, 1871, his wife, born December 4, 1793, died about 1875.
The Miniers—Daniel Minier, a German by birth, moved from Northampton county, Pa., and settled on the Warner farm at a very early day, being the first settler in the Milan neighborhood. He had a family of the following children: John, George, Abraham, Daniel, Elias, Elizabeth, Mary, Susan, Hannah and Anna. Polly Minier, the wife and mother, died December 14, 1842, aged 95 years. Abraham, born October 16, 1782, was an itinerant preacher and disseminated the "good word" for over fifty years; died August 10, 1865. He married Lillie Burch, whose brother, Rev. Robert Burch, was a preacher in the M. E. church, and at one time presiding elder of the Susquehanna district. Elias Minier, born January 12, 1787, married Judith H., daughter of Samuel Gore. In 1834 he moved to Sheshequin, settling the farm now owned by D. W. Chaffee. His children were: Sylvester, Samuel, Sarah, Mary, Daniel and Dow. Sylvester married Christiana Russell of Rome; Samuel married first Amanda Morley of Rome, second Lodema Vancise of Sheshequin; Sarah married Daniel Miller of Bergen, N.Y.; Mary died unmarried; Daniel married Martha Ridle of Ulster; Dow married Sarah Swain of Sheshequin. Mr. Minier died May 31, 1865, and his wife (born June 17, 1796), September 20, 1863. Daniel Minier followed his brother into Sheshequin, but subsequently removed to Wysox.
Thomas Johnson, a native of Orange county, N.Y. was five years old at the time of the massacre in Cherry Valley, where the family was living in 1778. His mother hid her little flock in the woods, went for aid and all were rescued from the bloodthirsty savages and Tories; the father was serving in the American army. Thomas was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was at the battle of Lundy’s Lane. Two of his sons and brother, Robert having settled in Sheshequin, he subsequently came also and spent his last years with his son, Richard. He mar-
196 ried Sally North and had sons, John, Thomas, Richard, William and Samuel, and seven daughters. Mr. Johnson died about 1856, and his wife about 1853, aged 80 years. Both are buried in the Abraham Miller cemetery and their graves are unmarked. Richard came to Sheshequin in 1834, married Eliza, daughter of Nehemiah and Sally (Parks) Northrup and had one son, Horace H. The father died August 19, 1870, aged 60 years, and his wife, April 2, 1875, aged 65 years. William married Belisant Ames, removed to Michigan, where he was killed by lightning while milking a cow. Robert Johnson, brother of Thomas, came to Sheshequin in 1831. He settled on the hill east of the narrows, on lands now embraced in the Macafee farm. He died there and is buried in the Miller cemetery.
Nehemiah Spencer came into the town in 1834. He occupied for a number of years the George Bastin place, then removed to other parts.
Dr. Amos Park, a gentleman of superior talents and skill, who was a son of Thomas Park, the first settler of Litchfield, located at Hornbrook in 1835. He was a model and successful teacher. In 1837, his life, full of bright prospects was closed at the early age of 32 years.
Reuben Young, a native of Smithfield, R.I. born February 19, 1815, came to Sheshequin in 1835. In 1837 he married Emily, daughter of Isaac S. Horton, and soon after settled in the wilderness on the farm of now Thomas Harvey. "By perseverance and hard labor he was able to harvest his first crop of wheat by carrying it together on two poles and thrashing it on an outdoor floor." He was a staunch advocate of temperance, and both he and his wife were pioneer members of the M.E. church at Ghent. They had children: Isaac L., who married first Mary C. Watkins, second Sarah Webb; and Susan L. married William P. Horton. Mrs. Young died March 22, 1885, in her 70th year, and Mr. Young, November 10, 1893, in his 79th year.
Reuben Griffin, son of Samuel Griffin, a Revolutionary soldier of Welsh descent, was born at New Haven, Conn, November 3, 1781. His father having settled in Canton township in 1799, a little later he and one of his brothers came also. From Canton he returned to Connecticut, where he married Sarah, daughter of Jared Norton, a Revolutionary soldier. He remained in his native State, working at his trade of shoemaking till March, 1816, when he removed with his family to Ulster, Bradford county. Here he continued to reside, following shoemaking and farming till 1835, when he settled in Sheshequin on the farm now owned by his grandson, Samuel Griffin. He died March 22, 1862, in his 81st year. His wife, born November 3, 1738, died July 3, 1884, age nearly 46 years. Their children were Minerva (Mrs. Isaac Lyons); Arlette (wife of Dr. Amos Park); John M. (unmarried); Angenora (unmarried); Samuel married Susan M. Wells of Orwell: Sarissa (unmarried); Sarah married William H. Bishop of Guilford, Conn., and Miles.
Joseph Lent, a soldier of the War of 1812, who was a son of Henry Lent, one of the Rome pioneers was born
198 near Peekskill, N.Y., May 22, 1786. He came to this county with his father’s family in 1798. On the 17th of October, 1805, he was united in marriage with Mary Ann, daughter of John and Ann (Hinman) Johnson—pioneers of Wysox. Soon after his marriage he settled on Pond Hill, where he continued to reside till 1835 when he removed to Hornbrook. In active life Mr. Lent was both farmer and mechanic. He spent his last years with his son, William J., where he died March 3, 1869. His wife, born December 30, 1785, died August 5, 1855. The children of Joseph and Mary Ann Lent were: Harry, Barbara, Anna, Hiram C, William J., Polly A., Catharine and Juliana. Harry, born September 2, 1806, married Anna, daughter of Jesse Smith, removed to Potter county, Pa., where he died April 15, 1866. Barbara, born August 7, 1808, married William Henry Hummel of Wysox, removed to Illinois and died in Kansas. Anna, born January 10, 1811, married Jesse Smith, died at Shores Hill, June 23, 1850. Hiram Crauf, born February 26, 1813, died unmarried in Sheshequin, March 1, 1839. Polly Ann, born October 8, 1818, was a milliner; she went to Illinois, married a Mr. O’Kane and died in that State. Catharine, born February 21, 1821, married Freeman Shores of Sheshequin, removed to Illinois where she died. Juliana, born October 26, 1825, married Collins Jennings of Sheshequin, removed West and died in Iowa. William Johnson, the third son, was born July 16, 1815, on the King place in Wysox. He became a resident of Sheshequin in 1835, which town, excepting an interim of about two years, has since been his home. In 1837 he was united in marriage with Harriet N., daughter of Abraham B. Gore. He purchased and moved to what is now known as the H. H. Johnson place in April, 1844. The Johnson residence was erected by him, and opened as a hotel in 1849 and continued as a house of entertainment for six years. Mr. Lent then engaged in lumbering and farming. He took an active part in the "old trainings," and was commissioned by Governor Porter captain of militia. His first vote was cast for Harrison in 1836, and he has voted at each succeeding presidential election since. He filled the office of justice of the peace for fifteen years, besides various other local offices. He is one of the oldest Odd Fellows in the county, having been a member of Valley Lodge since 1853. "Uncle William," as he is familiarly known, is a genial old gentleman liked by everybody. He possesses a most accurate and retentive memory of incidents and families of seventy years ago, and old and young alike delight in listening to his accounts of pioneer days. Mrs. Lent died in 1855, since which time Mr. Lent has made his home with his son, Hiram B. His only daughter, Mary, is the wife of G. L. Decker.
Loren D. Tyrrel, who married a daughter of William Snyder, came into the town in 1836. He settled the Thomas Catlin place, and died in 1873, aged 65 years.
Andrew W. Webb, a native of Orange county, N.Y., born August 30, 1810, came to Sheshequin and located on the farm now owned by his son, Andrew J., in 1836.
200 His wife was Elizabeth Bull, also a native of Orange county. Their children were: Job, Abigail (Mrs. Isaac Hollenback), William, Julia (Mrs. Lewis Brainard), Cyrenus, Sarah (Mrs. I. L. Young), Andrew J., Bradford and Mary A. (Mrs. M. E. Horton), Mr. Webb died on his farm, January 20, 1886, and his wife, March 7, 1888, aged 78 years.
Thomas Vann, a native of Lestershire, England, in 1837 settled on the farm now owned by C. W. Bowman. His wife was Elizabeth Sharp, also of Lestershire. Their children, who married as follows, were: William to Mary Smith; Edmund, to Almira Rodgers; Henry, to Mary Ann Bowman; Emeline, to William Miller; Charles, to Julia Tompkins; Emily, to Horace Miller; James, to Eliza Rodgers; Daniel, a soldier, killed at the battle of Fair Oaks; John, to Adelaide Bosworth; Amanda, to Charles Snyder. Mr. Vann died April 24, 1868, aged 68 years, and his wife, February 17, 1887, aged 86 years.
Douglass Davidson, a native of Vermont and son of Douglass Davidson, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Upper Sheshequin in 1838. He engaged in lumbering, farming and the milling business. By industry he accumulated a fine fortune, which, in his old age under a generous impulse, he transferred to a spendthrift and his earning of a life-time were quickly squandered. Mr. Davidson had no children. He died May 8, 1875, and lies in an unmarked grave in the Sheshequin cemetery.
Sullivan Chaffee, a soldier of the War of 1812, born January 22, 1786, came from Lexington, Greene county, N.Y., to Sheshequin in 1839. The Chaffee family is of English origin. The first of the name in America was Thomas Chaffee, who settled at Hingham, Mass, in 1637, but subsequently removed to Rhode Island. One of his descendants, Joseph Chaffee, settled in Connecticut. He was the ancestor of Calvin Chaffee, father of Sullivan, who removed from Connecticut to Greene county, N.Y. Mr. Chaffee purchased the Shores’ place at Hornbrook and continued to reside there till the time of his death, September 13, 1846. He was a noted hunter and fisherman. He married Catharine G. Deyeo. Their children were: Charles, John, Elizabeth, George, Matilda, Rhoda, Harriet, Abigail, Juliette, Sidney and Sally Maria. Charles, born November 25, 1812, came to Sheshequin a couple of years after his father. He engaged in lumbering and farming. He was a man of great energy, successful in his undertakings, and at the time of his death was the wealthiest man in Sheshequin. He married Adaline Horton; died June 12, 1889. John, born August 16, 1814, was accidentally killed at a shooting match, January 1, 1844. Elizabeth, born June 12, 1816, married first Dr. W. W. Kinney, and after his death David Barnes of Rome; she is still living. George, born November 11, 1818, came to Sheshequin in 1843. He engaged in lumbering and farming, and like his brother was a man of great energy. He married Rachel A. Horton; died November 17, 1901. Matilda, born Septem-
202 ber 11, 1820, married George Smith; died March 15, 1878. Rhoda, born April 19, 1823, married Daniel J. Horton; died April 11, 1902. Harriet, born February 19, 1825, married Eleazer Horton; died September 18, 1849. Abigail, born March 2, 1827, married Harry Smith; still living. Juliette, born August 10, 1829, died unmarried July 12, 1853. Sidney, born September 17, 1831, died unmarried January 20, 1852. Sally Maria, born June 7, 1834, married Lewis Horton; died January 27, 1897. Mrs. Chaffee died February 1, 1861, aged 69 years.
Abraham Fretts of Schoharie county, N.Y., became a resident of Hornbrook in 1839. He purchased and occupied till his death the farm now owned by C. J. Horton. He had six daughters, who married as follows: Nellie, to Benjamin MacAfee; Elizabeth, to Daniel Brink, Jr.; Catharine, to Marvin Lovelace; Rozana, to Abram Beedle of Broome county, N.Y., and Violetta and Christina. The two last named removed to Illinois, where Violetta married; Christina remained single and is the only member of the family living.
John Cornelius Vancise was born in Holland in 1756. When about eight years of age, his parents being dead, he and a brother were brought to America by friends. His early life seems to have been spent in the vicinity of Schoharie. Upon the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he immediately joined the American army and served seven years in the struggle for Independence. He fought at Bunker Hill, Trenton, Princeton, Monmouth, crossed the Delaware with Washington and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. At the battle of Monmouth he was badly wounded in the right leg below the knee. In his old age he enjoyed recounting his war experiences, always speaking of Washington with the greatest reverence. Mr. Vancise was a weaver by occupation, skilled in the art and wove many fancy articles. He married Deborah Murray, an Irish woman, and removed to Masonville in Delaware county, N.Y. They had six children: John, Simon, Samuel, Abraham, Peggy and Nancy. John was a soldier of the War of 1812 and lived at Masonville. Simon was also a soldier in the second war with England. He was wounded and lived only a few years after the war. Samuel (born in 1786 died June 1, 1891, aged 95 years) married Lottie Rose (born 1802, died April 14, 1881, aged 79 years), and in 1839 removed to Sheshequin, settling on the farm of now Martin Horton. His children were James, Joseph, Henry, Marcus, Cornelius, Hiram, Peter, Moses, Louisa (Mrs. Edward Arnold) and Lodema (Mrs. S. G. Minier), Joseph, Hiram and Moses were soldiers in the Civil war. Abraham married Anna Bush, and in 1841 followed his brother to Sheshequin, locating on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Frank Vancise. He was the father of eleven sons, nine of whom grew up and made a proud record for the family and their country by all enlisting and serving the Union at the front. They were Cornelius, Thomas, Andrew, Abraham, William, Riley, Robert, Charles, Jeremiah and Samuel. Mr. Van-
204 cise died January 4, 1881, aged 81 years, and his wife, February 23, 1891, aged 86 years. Peggy married and remained in New York state. Nancy married Hiram Rose and removed to Michigan with her husband where she died. After the death of his wife the patriot father came to Sheshequin and lived with his sons. As a result of his wounds, he lost nearly all use of his legs and went about on crutches. The government gave him a pension of $96 per year. He died October 30, 1849, aged 93 years, and is buried in the Sheshequin cemetery.
George Merrill came into the town from Litchfield prior to 1840. He was a cooper by trade and one of the successful old-time huntsmen. He removed to Kansas, where he died.
Other Residents who remained in the town several years were: Joseph Green (1819); Nathaniel Hotchkiss (1822); Elnathan Beebe (1828), on the Milo Merrill place; Hiram and Reuben Perry (1828), on the Davidson place at Ghent; Cyrus Wheeler (1830), on the John Clark place; Harry and Harvey Paine (1833), colored, in the Black neighborhood.
After Sixty Years—Sherman Day in his description says: "Sheshequin, or New Sheshequin, is a neat village on the left bank of the Susquehanna, composed of farm houses principally, scattered for two or three miles along the road. The Universalist church, the only one, stands near the center of the village, about eight miles from Towanda, and six and one-half from Athens. The sweet vale of Sheshequin has been properly com-
205 pared by Mrs. J. H. Scott, the gifted native poetess of the valley, to a miniature edition of the Wyoming Valley. It is about six miles in length by one or two in breadth, and the broad fertile flats on which the village stands are closed in by mountains on every side, except at the romantic passes through which breaks the Susquehanna."
Residents in 1840—The following were the taxable residents of Sheshequin in 1840: Gustavius Ames, Francis Ayer, Parley Ayer, Russell Ayer, Briton Baldwin, Phebe Baxter, Anson Bidlack, Franklin Blackman, Hiram Blackman, Elijah R. Blauvelt, Benjamin Brink, Daniel Brink, James Brink, John Brink, David Brown, Jabez Brown, Daniel S. Bull, Leander Burlingame, Charles Chaffee, Sullivan Chaffee, Charles Chandler, John Chandler, John Chandler 2nd, Robert Chandler, Stephen R. Chandler, Jacob Conrad, John Coon, William Collins, David Crowley, Daniel B. Culver, Caleb Davis, Douglass Davidson, Henry Deats, James DeMoney, Joseph Elliott, John Elliott, Jabez Fish, Archibald Forbes, John C. Forbes, Abraham Fretts, Walter French, Arnold Furgason, Curtis Furgason, Richard Fuller, Michael Gannon, Ensley W. Gillett, Lewis B. Gillett, Jerome Gillett, George Gooding, O. Goodsell, Abram Goodwin, Avery Gore, Alfred Gore, Edwin Gore, Harry Gore, Obadiah Gore, Ralph Gore, Sarah Gore, Silas P. Gore, James Green, Joseph Green, Peter Green, John N. Griffin, Reuben Griffin, Alexander Hebert, Cyrus Hebert, Francis A. Hebert, David Heavner, Joseph Hemenway, Edmund Hill, Charles Horton, Daniel Horton, Daniel J. Horton, Elijah Hor-
206 ton, Ithiel Horton, Isaac Horton, Isaac S. Horton, Joshua Horton, Joshua Horton 2nd, John Horton, Joseph Horton, Richard N. Horton, Sylvester Horton, William Horton, William Horton 2nd, William B. Horton, Samuel L. Hoyt, Samuel B. Hoyt, Jason House, Samuel Hulse, Elias R. Hughes, Horatio W. Hughes, William S. Jaquas, Richard L. Johnson, Rowland Johnson, William Johnson, David Kilmer, Jeremiah Kilmer, Gabriel King, George W. Kinney, George Kinney, Guy Kinney, Horace Kinney, Joseph Kinney, Perley Kinney, Byron Kingsbury, Henry Kingsbury, Joseph Kingsbury, Orson Lamoreaux, Squire Lamoreaux, Alanson Lovelace, Thomas Marshall, George Merrill, Chester Minier, Daniel Minier, Elias Minier, Nathaniel Moody, Elisha Newell, Hezekiah Newell, Stephen Newell, Baldwin Nolten, John Ogden, Samuel Osbern, William Osbern, Abraham Paine, Ezra Pelton, Pesse & Delpeuch, Aaron Post, Dennis Post, Elias Post, John Post, Edwin Richardson, Orson Rickey, John Rogers, Hiram Sanders, Charles E. Segar, Ebenezer Segar, Henry Segar, Elenezer Shaw, Hiram Shaw, Archibald Sheeler, John Sheeler, Freeman Shores, Nathaniel Shores, Perrin Shores, Stephen Shores, Silas Shores, Edmund Sickler, Egbert Sickler, Jerry Sickler, Martin Sickler, Bezabell Smith, Brink Smith, Benjamin Smith, Calvin Smith, Daniel Smith, George Smith, Henry Smith, James Smith, Jesse Smith, Jr., John B. Smith, John M. Smith, John Snyder, William Snyder, Zebulon Spalding, Elizabeth Spencer, Cicero Spencer, Benjamin Stephenson, Ira Tompkins, Jabez Tompkins, John Tompkins, Martin Tompkins, Jonathan Tompson, Morgan Tompson, Samuel Tompson, Elijah Townsend, Albert Tuttle, Edwin Tuttle, Ethan Tuttle, William Tuttle, Loren Tyrrell, William Tyrrell, Thomas Vann, Samuel Vancise, George Vibbert, Butler Vincent, George W. Vincent, Andrew Webb, David Webb, Cyrus Wheeler, Samuel G. Wheeler, Elijah Willoughby, Joseph Wood, Mathew Wright, Reuben Young, William Young—Population 1010.