Charles Payne b. 19 Nov baptized 25 Nov 1804 Polesworth, Warwickshire, England son of William and Mary Payne. Charles was of Tamworth, England when he m. 25 Dec 1823 at Ansley, Warwickshire, Sarah Moore of Ansley, England by the vicar, both signing by mark.
1841 census – Chapel End, hamlet of Hartshill, Mancetter, Warwickshire
Charles Pain, 30, manganese miner
1851 census - Quarry Hill, Polesworth, Warwickshire
Charles Payne, 43, coal miner, born Warwick, Polesworth
Sarah, wife, 44, born Harwick, Ansley
William, son, 14, coal miner, Harwick, Ansley
David, son, 12, coal miner, Harwick, Ansley
Isaac, son, 2, Harwick, Foleshill
1861 census – Hockley, Wilnecote, Tamworth, Warwickshire
Charles Payne, 52, coal miner, born Warwickshire, Polesworth
Sarah, wife, 50, born Warwickshire, Ansley
Isaac, son, 11, born Warwickshire, Foleshill
Charles d. 3 Sept 1862 58y (David [son] Payne bible). Sarah Payne was living with her daughter, Hannah Orton in 1871 (census), at Wilnecote, age 65, born Ansley.
1. Mary Payne bpt 14 June 1824 Ansley.
2. Hannah Payne b. July bpt 12 Nov 1826 Ansley m. William Orton.
3. John Payne b. c. 1831.
4. William Payne b. 14 Sept 1834 bpt 6 Sept 1835 Hartshill (1861, 1871, and 1881 census give Ansley).
5. David Payne bpt 20 May 1838 Ansley.
6. Isaac Payne b. 23 Sept 1849 Foleshill.
4. William Payne bpt 6 Sept 1835 and wife Maria b. c. 1835 Wilnecote, were enumerated hamlet of Freazley, Polesworth, Warwickshire, England in 1861, coal miner. Enumerated at Chasetown, Burntwood, Staffordshire, England in 1871, miner. Enumerated Hockley Road, Wilnecote in 1881, roadmender.
7. Emma Payne baptized 1 Sept 1857 Wilnecote, Warwickshire.
8. Sarah Ann Payne b. c. 1859 baptised 17 Aug 1861 Wilnecote d. young.
9. Mary Jane Payne b. c. 1862 Wilnecote.
10. Sarah Ann Payne b. c. 1865 Wilnecote.
11. William Henry Payne b. Nov 1866 Hockley, Warwickshire.
12. Annie M. Payne b. c. 1870 Connock Chase, Staffordshire.
13. Isaac Payne b. May 1873 Burntwood, Staffordshire was residing with brother, William in Morris Run, Pennsylvania in 1910 and 1920, coal miner, arriving in 1894. Died single.
14. Edith Payne b. c. 1875 Burntwood, Staffordshire.
15. David Payne b. c. 1878 Hockley, Warwickshire.
5. David Payne bpt 20 May 1838 m. 14 Sept 1855 (bible) at Wilnecote, England, Mary Ann Fairfield b. c. 1848 Freazley. Enumerated in Hockley, Wilnecote, Warwickshire, England in 1861, coal miner. Enumerated in Wilnecote, Staffordshire in 1871, miner. Enumerated in Wilnecote, Warwickshire, in 1881, coal miner. They removed from England to America and settled at Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. David d. Morris Run in a mine accident, age 53, leaving five children (Mansfield Advertiser, March 13, 1889). It is related that Mary Ann was homesick for England and returned and d. there. Son, Jesse evidently accompanied her as he had three children born in England before his return to America. Children from family bible.
16. John Payne b. 25 June 1856 Wilnecote d. 14 July 1856.
17. Alfred Payne b. 27 Aug 1857 Wilnecote.
18. Charles Payne b. 23 July 1859 Wilnecote.
19. Arthur Payne b. 28 Oct 1861 Fazeley, Warwickshire, England.
20. David Payne b. 6 Jan 1864 Wilnecote d. 9 Apr 1870.
21. Mary Ann Payne b. 28 Dec 1865 Wilnecote.
22. Edith Payne b. 7 Aug 1868 Wilnecote d. 22 Mar 1870.
23. Herbert Payne b. 3 May 1870 Wilnecote d. 18 Dec 1870.
24. Emily Payne b. 9 Feb 1873 Wilnecote.
25. Jesse Payne b. 17 Feb 1876 Wilnecote.
6. Isaac Payne b. 23 Sept 1849 m. Hannah Preston b. 22 Dec 1847 (ts) Fazeley (1871 census) were enumerated at New Street, Fazeley, Tamworth, Warwickshire, England in 1871. His naturalization record filed in Tioga County, Pennsylvania states he was born in England and arrived at New York in May 1879, settled at Morris Run, dated 20 Jan 1882, age 32. He was a coalminer at Morris Run and later removed to a farm on the Troy Fallbrook Road on Armenia Mountain in Ward township, same county. A young nephew of Hannah's with the surname Preston arrived from England to be cared for by Isaac and Hannah after his mother’s death, but died sometime after arrival, probably buried Morris Run Cemetery. A brother of the first child, named Arthur Preston b. Jan 1869, arrived and was raised by Isaac and Hannah. In the 1899 Tioga County directory, Isaac was a supervisor and farmer in Ward township with 75 acres. Hannah d. 25 Jan 1900 (ts and Tioga County Death Record) 52yrs 22ds Ward township, Bright's Disease, buried Ward. Issac married 22 Nov 1902, Mrs. Jane Vaughn Perry, age 56 and a mailcarrier, Isaac age 53 and a coalminer. Her first husband d. 12 June 1900. Jane d. 719 Casey St., Elmira, New York survived by seven children from her first marriage, buried Fallbrook, Tioga County, Pennsylvania (obituary). Isaac d. 22 Sept 1927 Union township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania buried with Hannah in McIntosh Cemetery, Ward township.
11. William Henry Payne b. Nov 1866 m. c. 1888 Phoebe Ann Greene b. July 1871 England. William arrived at New York, March 1891, settled Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania (Tioga County naturalization), dated 25 Apr 1903, age 36. Phoebe arrived in 1892. In the 1899 Tioga County Directory, residence was at 36 Summit Street, Morris Run. Enumerated at Morris Run in 1900, coalminer. Residence was on Pleasant Hill, Morris Run in 1908-9 county directory, miner. Enumerated Morris Run in 1910, coalminer. Brother, Isaac, age 38, residing with family in 1910. Enumerated on Old Bloss Road, Hamilton township in 1920, coal miner. Phoebe d. 1953.
26. Maria Payne b. Feb 1890 England.
27. William M. Payne b. Aug 1891.
28. Leonard Payne b. Mar 1893 Pennsylvania.
29. Phoebe May Payne b. Feb 1895.
30. Arthur Payne b. 14 Jan 1897 36 Middle Row, Morris Run.
31. Annie Payne b. 12 Feb 1902 36 Summit Street, Morris Run.
33. Beatrice Payne b. c. 1908.
33. David C. Payne b. 20 Apr 1911 Morris Run.
17. Alfred Payne b. 27 Aug 1857 m. c. 1878 Charlotte Stratton b. Oct 1859. Enumerated in Wilnecote, Warwickshire, England in 1881, coal miner. They arrived in America in Apr 1883 (Tioga County naturalization dated 7 Sept 1897, age 40). In the 1899 Tioga County Directory, residence was at 9 Haskins Street, Morris Run. Enumerated at Haskins Stree in 1900, coal miner. Charlotte mother of ten children, six living in 1900. Residing 9 Haskins Street in the 1908-9 county directory and enumerated in Morris Run in 1910.
34. Lillian Payne b. c. 1879 Wilnecote, England.
35. Arthur Payne b. July 1881 England.
36. Elizabeth Payne b. Oct 1883 Morris Run, Pennsylvania.
37. child b. 1885 d. young.
38. Alice Payne b. Nov 1887 Morris Run.
39. child b. 1889/90 d. young.
40. Blanche Payne b. Aug 1892 Morris Run.
41. child b. 1894/5 d. young.
42. Mary Ann Payne b. 11 Jan 1897 Morris Run d. 28 Oct 1897 8m 17d at 9 Haskins Street, Morris Run of whooping cough buried Morris Run Cemetery (Tioga County death record).
43. David Payne b. Sept 1898 Morris Run.
19. Arthur Payne b. 28 Oct 1861 left for America in 1881 at age nineteen with cousin, Charles Orton and went to Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, where their uncle Isaac Payne was residing. Arthur returned to England to court Elizabeth Grice who came to America and m. Arthur 25 Oct 1883 at Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Elizabeth Grice b. 16 Jan 1863 Fazeley, Tamworth, Warwickshire, England daughter of William Grice and Emma Blower. Arthur was a coalminer at Morris Run for about ten years. He and his family returned to England, but remained only a short time when they returned to settle in Glen Richey, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania where he was employed by the Peale, Peacock and Curr Coal Company. Enumerated in Glen Richey in 1900. Employed there for some twenty years when the family removed to Corning, New York. Arthur operated a restaurant with his son, Percy, at Bridge and William streets. About a year later he returned to Clearfield County for a year and a half. Returning to Steuben County in 1914, he settled permanently in Painted Post and held employment with The Leader newspaper as a watchman and with Ingersoll Rand as a member of its repair department until 1939 when he retired and lastly he was a custodian at the Painted Post town hall for nearly four years. He also served as town constable during those years and was an active member of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. Elizabeth d. 6 Jan 1952 at Painted Post and Arthur d. 22 Aug 1954 at the home of his daughter, Annie Olmstead 509 North Hamilton Street, Painted Post, buried Fairview Cemetery, Painted Post, New York.
44. David Payne b. 8 Aug 1884.
45. Percy Payne b. Jan 1886.
46. Charles Payne b. Nov 1887.
47. perhaps a child b. c. 1889.
48. Beatrice Payne b. Oct 1891 England.
49. Ada Payne b. 12 Mar 1894.
50. Phoebe Payne b. 9 Apr 1896.
51. Mary Ann Payne b. Oct 1898.
52. Arthur Payne b. 27 Feb 1901.
53. perhaps a son (twin) b. c. 1903.
54. perhaps a daughter (twin) b. c. 1903.
55. Archie Payne b. 27 May 1906.
56. William Payne b. 16 Aug 1908.
21. Mary Ann Payne b. 28 Dec 1865 m. c. 1885 John McKechnie b. June 1862 Scotland. John removed to America in 1870 and later became a minister. Mary Ann left England in 1885. Enumerated on School House Street, Blossburg, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in 1900, John enumerated as a student, evidently studying for the ministry. Removed to Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania. Mary Ann d. 21 Mar 1952 Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania, buried Pleasant Gap Cemetery.
57. Alexander McKechnie b. Aug 1889 Pennsylvania.
58. Maude McKechnie b. Feb 1893 England m. Duncan Herman. Maude d. Bellefonte, Pennsylvania.
25. Jesse Payne b. 17 Feb 1876. Wife, Edith b. 7 Dec 1872. In 1910 resided Glen Richey, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. Enumerated on Water Street, Morris Run, Hamilton township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in 1920, coal miner. Jesse d. 23 July 1942 Emeigh, Pennsylvania and Edith d. 23 Dec 1946 Emeigh. Cemetery marker relates Jesse born 1875 and some other records as 1874.
59. William David Payne b. 25 Mar 1898 Wilnecote, England.
60. Arthur Payne b. 14 July 1899 Wilnecote, England.
61. Sidney Payne b. 9 June 1901 Wilnecote, England, of Emeigh, Pennsylvania when his father died.
27. William M. Payne b. Aug 1891 m. 1 Apr 1914 (Tioga County marriage record) Celia Johnson. She was enumerated as Signe in the 1920 census enumeration, b. c. 1896. Enumerated on Lake Street, Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in 1920, coal miner.
William Payne b. c. 1914.
Mildred Payne b. c. 1916.
28. Leonard Payne b. Mar 1893 m. Ruth Parsell b. c. 1900. Enumerated on Front Street, Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in 1920, coal miner.
Gladys Payne b. c. 1919.
29. Phoebe May Payne b. Feb 1895 m. 3 Feb 1912 (Tioga County marriage record) Carl Verner Huggar.
30. Arthur Payne b. 14 Jan 1897 d. young. Resided Canton, Pennsylvania area.
31. Annie Payne b. 12 Feb 1902 m. 10 Apr 1920 (Tioga County marriage record) Eli Whitehouse.
Eli Whitehouse Jr., resides Cayuta, New York.
Annie Whitehouse m. a Noll resides Corning, New York.
32. Beatrice Payne b. c. 1908 m. a Lavris.
Theodore Lavris, resides Elmira, New York.
William Lavris resides Elmira.
Mary Lou Lavris m. a Halpin resides Horseheads, New York.
Doris Lavris m. a Personius resides 213 James Street, Elmira.
33. David C. Payne b. 20 Apr 1911 m. Margerie Manikowski. David d. 8 Jan 1995 Morris Run buried Arbon Cemetery, Blossburg, Pennsylvania. Margerie resides Morris Run.
William R. Payne m. Ruth, resides Arnot, Pennsylvania.
Jackie Payne m. John Repard, reside Nakomis, Florida.
Margie Payne m. William Love, reside Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
44. David Payne b. 8 Aug 1884 m. 1 Jul 1916 Ellen Conley, resided Painted Post, New York.
45. Percy Payne b. Jan 1886 m. Pansy Wixon, resided Painted Post, New York.
46. Charles Payne b. Nov 1887 m. Nellie Daisley, resided Painted Post, New York.
48 Beatrice Payne b. Oct 1891 m. George Husted, resided Addison, New York. Beatrice d. 1981.
49. Ada Payne b. 12 Mar 1894 m. Harold Smith, resided Coopers Plains, New York.
50. Phoebe Payne b. 9 Apr 1896 m. 4 Jan 1918 Jesse Cornell, resided Campbell, New York.
51. Mary Ann Payne b. Oct 1898 m. 28 Aug 1922 Roy Olmstead, resided Painted Post. Annie d. 1997/8.
Virginia Olmstead m. an Anderson resides Victory Hwy between Coopers Plains and Painted Post.
52. Arthur Payne b. 27 Feb 1901 m. 9 Sept 1922 Helen Stewart, resides near Campbell.
Betty Jean Payne m. Virgil Brisco, reside Clearwater, Florida.
Marjorie Payne m. Milton Tyler, reside Dunedin, Florida.
Faith Payne b. 1933 m. Lewis Waite, reside Tarpon Springs, Florida.
William C. Payne m. Marion Bennett (2)Phyllis Olmstead, reside Shell Point Village, Ft Myers, Florida. William was minister in Seaford, Delaware.
Arthur Payne resides Campbell, New York.
55. Archie Payne b. 27 May 1906 m. 1924 Clara Metzgar and 1952 (2)Ruth May, resided Painted Post.
56. William E. Payne b. 16 Aug 1908 m. Jan 1933 Arlene Guiles, resided Painted Post and owned Paynes Hardware with brother Arthur Payne.
59. William David Payne b. 25 Mar 1898 m. 15 Nov 1919 Genevieve Kendrick (Tioga County marriage record). Enumerated on Summit Street, Morris Run, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in 1920, coal miner. William d. 18 Jan 1961 Morris Run.
Virginia Payne m. George Jackson, farmer, resided Roaring Branch, Pennsylvania. Virginia d. 1994.
Hugh Payne resided Owego, New York. Wife, Grace. Hugh d. perhaps c. 1986.
Jesse Payne d. 1991.
Alvirta Payne (Mrs. ______ ) resides Covington, Pennsylvania.
60. Arthur Payne b. 14 July 1899 d. 1 Feb 1975 Emeigh, Pennsylvania.
61. Sidney Payne b. 9 June 1901 d. 25 Dec 1968 Emeigh, Pennsylvania.
J. Kelsey Jones
1999 - updated 2008