Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Marriages of the Tri-Counties
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Home Page
Disclaimer
Guide 
Rutland Township
More Vital Records
More Marriages
Joyce
New & Search
Marriage Announcements Connected to Rutland Township
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the Marriage Records and  Marriage Clippings on the site by using the Marriage button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page? Be aware that you will also find some marriage notices in the Clippings partition and on the Bibles pages.

Miss Doris BENSON, (SRGP 37278) daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Benson, of Mansfield, R. D. 1, and Mr. Emerson OLDROYD of Troy, were married June 20 by the pastor of the Southside Baptist Church, Elmira. The community extends congratulations. They will reside at the home of the bride. (handwritten on article June 20, 1936)

BENSON - POWLINSON - Recently Married at Wellsboro [SRGP 59147 - 59148]
[Photo]
Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Powlison of Corning, married Apr. 27 at the Baptist parsonage at Wellsboro by Rev. Charles Sherrif.  Mrs. Powlison is the former Mrs. Marion Webster, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Benson of Roseville, Pa.  Mr. Powlison is son of Mrs. Bess Powlison, Tioga.

Merrick - Cook [SRGP 14131 - 10088]
The marriage of Miss Shirley Jean Merrick, daughter of Mrs. Mae Merrick, of South Main St., and Owen L. Cook, son of Mrs. Belle Cook, of Mansfield, was solemnize Saturday, November 20, 1948, in the Tabernacle Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia.  The ceremony was performed by the pastor, Dr. Henry Moody Morgan.  Attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Merrick of Norwood, Pa., brother and sister-in-law of the bride.  The bride wore a tailored suit of coral gabardine with black accessories and corsage of gardenias.  Mrs. Merrick wore a green wool dress with black accessories and pink rose corsage.  Mr. and Mrs. Cook are graduates of Mansfield Senior High School and Mrs. Cook is employed by the Harrington Studio.  Mr. Cook is engaged in farming in Rutland, where they will reside.

Copp-Potter- June 15, 1935
The marriage of Miss Mary Esther Potter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Potter of Antes Fort to Francis Lewis Copp of Rutland took place at noon Saturday, June 15, at the home of the bride. The Rev. Percival H. Lynch, pastor of the First Baptist church of McKeesport, who performed the ceremony, had officiated at the wedding of the brideís parents during his pastorate in Jersey Shore. Dressed in a white satin gown, fashioned along princess lines, and carrying the white lace handkerchief carried by her mother at her wedding, the bride was given in marriage by her father. She carried a bouquet of white roses and babyís breath. Miss Edna Williamson of Antes Fort and Donald Benson of Mansfield attended the couple. The maid of honor wore a turquoise blue chiffon gown made o=on long lines with accordion pleated cape and shirt. Her hat, which was of rough straw, matched the white of her sandals and she carried a bouquet of mixed flowers. Mrs. Potter, mother of the bride, wore a triple-sheer blue crepe. The mother of the bridegroom, Mrs. Copp, wore a powder blue chiffon gown with white accessories. A reception was held immediately after the ceremony at the Potter home. The bride and groom left later in the day for Yellowstone National park. The bride was graduated from the Susquehanna University in the class of 1932. She taught in Antes Fort 1934-35. Mr. Copp received his B.S. degree from Mansfield State Teachers College in 1933, and is now a teacher in the Sayre high school.

TO BE BRIDE
The engagement of Miss Esther POTTER  to Francis COPP (SRGP 65760)  of Rutland, Pa., has been announced by Mr. and Mrs. E. Mac Potter of Antes Fort, Pa., parents of the bride-elect. Mr. Copp is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Copp of Rutland, Pa. Miss Potter teaches at Antes Fort. Mr. Copp, who teaches in Sayre, Pa., is a graduate of Mansfield High School and Mansfield State Teachersí College.

PENNSYLVANIANS MARRY IN CHURCH RITES
   Miss Geraldine Elizabeth Smith, (SRGP 02054) daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Smith of Millerton, Pa., RD 2, was united in marriage with Judson J. Brewer, son of Mrs. Lyman Brewer of Millerton and the late Mr. Brewer, on Saturday, July 3, 1948. The ceremony was performed at 2 p.m. in the Roseville Baptist church by the Rev. Orey Crippen of East Smithfield. The double ring service was used. Mrs. Thomas Harris of Roseville, played traditional wedding music, and accompanied Mrs. Chester Kennedy who sang, "I Love You Truly," "Because" and "The Lordís Prayer." The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, wore a gown of white satin, styled with a sweetheart neckline, long pointed sleeves, fitted bodice and full skirt with a train. Her lace-edged fingertip veil hung from a tiara of pearlized orange blossoms. She wore a double strand of pearls, a gift of the bridegroom, and carried bouquet of white roses, tied with long white satin streamers. Mrs. Harry Trowbridge was her sisterís matron-of-honor. She was gowned in a floor length dress of teal blue sparkle marquisette with a matching shoulder length veil and carried a bouquet of red roses and babyís breath. Attendants were : Mrs. Wilbur Andrews of Pine city, twin sister of the bridegroom, and Mrs. Donald Butcher of Sidney, another sister of the bridegroom. Mrs. Andrews wore a yellow marquisette gown with matching veil and carried talisman roses and babyís breath. Mrs. Butcher wore a gown of aqua marquisette, matching veil, her bouquet was yellow roses and babyís breath. Flower girls were Barbara and Erma Brewer, nieces of the bridegroom. They were dressed alike, in floor length pink organdy, with headbands of pink satin ribbons and net. They each carried baskets of pink and white flowers. Joseph Brewer of Millerton, was best man for his brother. Ushers were Boyd Smith and Wilbur Smith of Mansfield, Warren Smith, Elmira, brothers of the bride, and Grant Brewer of Millerton, brother of the bridegroom. The brideís mother wore an aqua crepe gown with white accessories and a corsage of gardenias. The bridegroomís mother wore a gray  crepe dress with white accessories. She also wore a corsage of gardenias. A reception for 150 guests followed the ceremony in the church parlors, after which Mr. and Mrs. Brewer left for a trip to Niagara Falls, Buffalo and Canada. Mrs. Brewer is a graduate of the Mansfield Senior High School. Mr. Brewer attended Millerton High School and is now employed at the Remington Rand. Prenuptial parties were given by Mrs. Charles Cook, Mrs. Darwin Neal, Mrs. Lewis Holton and Mr. and Mrs. Boyd Smith.

SWEELEY-HOLCOMB [SRGP 18804 / 18807]
 At the Methodist church in Roseville, on Sept. 4, Hazel Irene, youngest daughter of the late Mr. And Mrs. J.M. Sweeley, of Rutland, was married to Alfred D. Holcomb, only son of Mrs. D. Holcomb, of Jersey City, NJ.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. Freas Hess, of Roseville. (The Agitator:  Wellsboro, PA, Wednesday, September 14, 1921)

Copp-Potter [SRGP 65760/65761]
The marriage of Miss Mary Esther Potter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Potter of Antes Fort to Francis Lewis Copp of Rutland took place at noon Saturday, June 15, at the home of the bride.  The Rev. Percival H. Lynch, pastor of the First Baptist church of McKeesport, who performed the ceremony, had officiated at the wedding of the brideís parents during his pastorate in Jersey Shore.  Dressed in a white satin gown, fashioned along princess lines, and carrying the white lace handkerchief carried by her mother at her wedding, the bride was given in marriage by her father.  She carried a bouquet of white roses and babyís breath.  Miss Edna Williamson of Antes Fort and Donald Benson of Mansfield attended the couple.  The maid of honor wore a turquoise blue chiffon gown made on long lines with accordion pleated cape and skirt.  Her hat, which was of rough straw, matched the white of her sandals, and she carried a bouquet of mixed flowers.  Mrs. Potter, mother of the bride, wore a triple-sheer blue crepe.  The mother of the bridegroom, Mrs. Copp, wore a powder blue chiffon gown with white accessories.  A reception was held immediately after the ceremony at the Potter home.  The bride and groom left later in the day for Yellowstone National park.  The bride was graduated from the Susquehanna University in the class of 1932.  She taught in Antes Fort 1934-35.  Mr. Copp received his B.S. degree from Mansfield State Teachers College in 1933, and is now a teacher in the Sayre high school.

Wellsboro Agitator, December 9, 1954
Barbara Sterling - MHS 1953............. Robert Seeley - MHS 1946
At the Roseville Methodist Church Sunday, November 28, 1954 at 3 p.m. was celebrated the wedding of Miss Barbara June Sterling, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Carl Sterling of Millerton RD2 and Robert Seeley, son of Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Seeley of Mansfield RD. The Rev. Arthur Marshall and the Rev. Orey Crippen performed the double ring ceremony. the bride given in marriage by her father wore a gown of nylon tulle over satin styled with fitted bodice and long sleeves ending in points. The high neckline with a net yoke was outlined with seed pearls and sequins. A skirt of bouffant style was finished with a cathedral train. Her fingertip veil of silk illusion with lace inserts and edging fell from a tiara of seed pearls and sequins. She wore a five strand pearl necklace, a gift of the bridegroom, and carried a Colonial bouquet of red roses. Miss Shirley Colby of Galeton, PA, was maid of honor and bridesmaids were Miss Betty Ann Rose, of Mansfield, a cousin of the bride, Miss Doris Seeley Creason, PA, a sister of the bridegroom, and Miss Phyllis Kennedy, Mansfield RD, PA. Verle Sterling of Millerton, brother of the bride was best man and ushers were Howard Baker, Mansfield RD, Duane Seymour, Mainesburg and James Pratt of Troy. Following the wedding a reception for about 200 guests was held in the church basement. After a trip to Washington D.C. and vicinity. Mr. & Mrs. Seeley will be at home at Roseville. Mrs. Seeley is a graduate of Mansfield Senior High School and is employed by the Westinghouse Corp., at Horseheads. Mr. Seeley a graduate of Mansfield Senior High School is engaged in farming near Roseville. He is also caretaker of the Rutland Township Roads.

ANNOUNCE ENGAGEMENT
Mr. and Mrs. Archie E. Benson of Rutland announce the engagement of their daughter, Margaret Eloise, to Byron Raymond Benedict of Mansfield, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd W. Benedict of Painted Post, N.Y. The marriage will take place in the near future. (handwritten on article Nov. 1935)

GRACE-KILGORE
Miss Dorothy Louise Grace, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harland Grace, Troy, and Melville Enoch Kilgore, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Kilgore, Coryland, were married Friday, Jan. 26th by the Rev. Orey Crippen, Rutland. After several weeks in Florida, they will be at home in Coryland. (handwritten on article 1940)

Wellsboro Agitator, 28 February 1906
Rutlandís Popular Young People Wed
There was a very pretty home wedding at the home of Mr. & Mrs. W.H. VanNess, in Rutland, when the marriage of their daughter, Louise M., to Mr. Colie D. Conable was solemnized. At 7:55 p.m. Miss Mae Hall played the wedding march and the bridal couple attended by the brideís sister, Edith VanNess, and Mr. Earl Shaw took their places under an arch of evergreens and in the presence of about thirty-five relatives and intimate friends were united in marriage by Rev. Mr. Earley. After the ceremony a sumptuous dinner was served. The brideís dress was light blue, trimmed with white velvet, and she carried a bouquet of carnations. Her traveling suit was of brown. Amid a shower of rice they took the train at Mansfield for Elmira and Dansville, NY. They will be at home to their friends after March 5, 1906. They are Rutlandís most popular young people and their many friends wish them a long and happy life. Among the guests from away were: Misses Ada Allen, of Tioga, Lena Squire, Painter Run, Gertrude Makley of Mansfield, and Messrs. Bert Bly of Jackson, and Earl & Walter Shaw of Mansfield.
 
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Published On Tri-Counties Site On 25 OCT 2005
By Joyce M. Tice
Email: Joyce M. Tice

You are the  visitor since the counter was installed on 25 OCT  2005