|These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook. If the scrapbook compiler did not include a date or newspaper, then we do not know that information. If you do not have the time to enjoy the luxury of sifting through a scrapbook, these will be included in the Search Engine which you can reach from the "Front Door" of the Tri-County Genealogy & History sites by Joyce M. Tice.|
HOW TO SUBMIT OBITUARIES TO THIS SITE - Typed obituaries may be submitted by email to Joyce M. Tice either in the text of the email of by an attached file. PLEASE put OBITUARY SUBMISSION in the subject line of your email to help me sort the several hundred emails I receive weekly. Give your file an eight character name - do NOT call it OBITS or it will overwrite someone else's file. Make sure your full name is included so I know whom to credit. Submissions will be arranged alphabetically by SURNAME AT BIRTH, so make sure I know the correct birth name if you know it. If surname at birth is not known, married name or other alias will be indexed in parentheses. Also include the death date and newspaper if you know it.
Mr. and Mrs. Phelps Wakely of East Smithfield, who were married 18 years ago today. (handwritten on article 1940)
FOUR GENERATIONS AT FUDGE GOLDEN WEDDING CELEBRATIONS
Four generations—Mr. and Mrs. Harry S. Fudge, their daughter, Mrs. O. M. Barnes, her son, Leslie Barnes, and the son, Denny Barnes were represented at a most delightful occasion when Mr. and Mrs. Harry S. Fudge, well known local residents, celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary Tuesday evening in the social rooms of the Methodist church. A delicious turkey dinner was served by a committee of the Ladies Aid Society followed by greetings and felicitations on the part of the fifty relatives and guests of the happy and honored couple. The tables were beautifully decorated with yellow candelabra while profuse yellow roses adorned the dining room, suggestive of the golden anniversary. Late in the evening a colored film preview of the 1940 World’s Fair was shown.
Among those who enjoyed the occasion were: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Baxter, Rochester, N.Y.; Mr. Edward B. Baxter, Ithaca, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. George Baxter, Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. O. M. Barnes, Horseheads; Mrs. Ellington Neill, Binghamton, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Tate, Richard and Dorothy Tate, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Wilcox, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Locke, Corning; Leon and Rexford Baxter, Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Barnes and son Denny, Wilkes-Barre; Mr. Harold Baxter, Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Albert W. Fudge, Sr., Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Fudge, Jr., Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fudge, Montour Falls, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Walter Pike, Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Pike; Elmira; Mrs. Mabel Fudge, Elmira Heights; Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Carman, Elmira; Rev. and Mrs. Paul Brown, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. Glenn T. Allen, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. Guy Woleslagie, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dalrymple, Elmira; Elivon, Albert and Norris Barnes, Horseheads; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Fudge, Elmira.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred L. Andrus of East Smithfield, who were married 26 years ago today. (handwritten on article 1940)
Mr. and Mrs. Fernando Fitch of Granville Summit RD who were married 54 years ago today. They have lived on Saxton Hill for 47 years. (handwritten on article 1940)
In New York State, on and after July 1st, all applicants for a marriage license will be required to present medical certificates. Blood tests of each will be taken and the specimen sent to Albany for examination. Certificates will be issued by the physicians when the reports are returned. In order to be granted a license to marry, a person must be free from syphilis, or, if infected, the disease must be in the non-communicable stage. We are strongly in favor of this New York State regulation. Pennsylvania should have a similar measure.
MISS MIRIAM A. PHELPS BECOMES WIFE OF PAUL O. MAY OF MILAN
East Smithfield, March 12—Mr. and Mrs. Augustus T. Phelps of East Smithfield announce the marriage Miriam A. to Paul D. May, son of W. S. May of Milan. The ceremony was performed on Saturday, March 9 at the parsonage of the First Methodist Church, Sayre, by the Rev. S. Lawrence Martin, pastor. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Leon Reynolds of Nichols, N.Y., sister and brother of the groom and Miss Dorothea M. Williams of Roselle Park, N.J., cousin of the bride. The bride was attired in powder blue lace with gray accessories and wore a corsage of gardenias and violets. Mrs. Reynold’s wore navy crepe with dubonnet accessories, Miss Williams wore rose silk with navy accessories. Mr. and Mrs. May will reside in Milan. (handwritten on article 1940)
ANNE MCDONNELL TO WED HENRY FORD II
New York, March 11—The engagement of Miss Anne McDonnell to Henry Ford II, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edsel Ford of Grosse Pointe Shores, Mich., was announced tonight. No date for the wedding has been set. Miss McDonnell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Francis McDonnell, who maintain residences here and at Southampton, Long Island, was graduated from the convent of the Sacred Heart and later studied at the Grottanelli School at Sienna, Italy. (handwritten on article 1940)
Miss Gladys Wilbur, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wilbur, East Troy, and Kenneth Van Noy, also of East Troy, were married in the Methodist parsonage at East Smithfield on last Friday evening, March 22d, 1840, by the Rev. Owen Barrett. They were not attended. They will make their home with the bride’s parents Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur. The groom is employed by the Warner Produce Company. The young couple have the best wishes of many friends in this section.
Miss Ruth Alice Stevens, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leroy N. Stevens, Troy and Mr. Duane A. Shoemaker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Shoemaker, Canton, were married last Saturday, February 25th, 1939, in the Methodist parsonage, Canton, by the Pastor I. A. Guiles. The bride is a 1938 graduate of Troy High School and will be graduated soon from the Dermal Way Beauty School in Elmira. The groom is a 1937 graduate of Canton High School and of the Elmira Business College. They will make their home for the present with the groom’s parents in Canton. Mr. and Mrs. Shoemaker have many friends in Western Bradford County, who wish them great happiness.
Mrs. Helen Chamberlain, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Chace, Troy, and Wallace A. Keyser, son of Mrs. Maude Slater, Elmira, were married last Friday, February 24th in Williamsport by Rev. J. Howard Oke.
Max Shoemaker, son of Charles Shoemaker, Granville and Miss Lucille M. Andrus, Elmira, were married last Saturday evening, March 4th, 1939, in the Methodist parsonage, East Smithfield, by Rev. Owen Barrett.
They were attended by Miss Ruth Goodwin, Elmira, Miss Betty Foust and Rex Merritt, both of Granville Summit and Wilbur Slingerland, Troy. They will reside in Granville Summit.
BURLINGTON YOUNG PEOPLE MARRIED SATURDAY
Miss Carman Wed to Mr. Paris
In a pretty home wedding in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Paris, Burlington, last Saturday, March 25th, 1939, at 2:30 p.m., Miss Mildred G. Carman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Carman, became the bride of Rexford A. Paris, son of Mr. and Mrs. Paris. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Asa A. Nichols. The bride was charming in teal blue with matching accessories.
Following a wedding dinner, they left for a short honeymoon through New York State and will live, when they are settled, in an apartment on Church Street, Burlington. These popular young people have the best wishes of a host of friends in the Burlington section.
LEOLA S. REEVE OF SMITHFIELD WEDS SEWARD M. HAIGHT, JR.
Seward M. Haight, Jr., of East Troy and Leola S. Reeve of Smithfield were married at the East Troy Methodist Parsonage on January 21 by the Rev. Donald R. Boyd. The bride’s sister was the only attendant.
The couple will make their home at Montoursville. (handwritten on article 1940)
Mr. William Morris and Miss Agnes Larrison were married last Sunday morning, September 24, in the Methodist Parsonage here by Rev. Paul M. Brown. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. A. Henry Case. The bride, whose home is in Lindley, N.Y., has been employed for some time in the F. P. Case & Sons’ office, Canton, and Mr. Morris, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Morris, Troy, is the manager of the Grand Union Store, Canton, where they will make their home. They left immediately after the ceremony for Niagara Falls, Canada, New York and Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Morris have the best wishes of many friends in this section. (handwritten on article 1939)
Charles Batterson, Mr. and Mrs. Willis Batterson, Mr. and Mrs. Russel J. Cowl, Mrs. Fred Canedy, Miss Marjorie Canedy and S. M. Canedy, Jr., expect to attend in Lock Haven tomorrow evening the marriage of Miss Florence Miller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Miller, to Mr. Harold Graves, Elmira. (handwritten on article 1939)
Miss Katrina Stehle, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Felix Stehle
of Bridge Street, and Edson M. Barnes, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. J.
Barnes of Poplar Street, were married Saturday morning at 11 o’clock at
the SS. Peter and Paul church, the ceremony being performed by the Rev.
Peter A. Nolan. Their attendants were Miss Eugenia Rinebold of Overton,
a cousin of the bride and Edwin Fish of Cortland, N.Y.
The wedding, though marked by extreme simplicity, was rich in beauty and dignity. In keeping with the season, quantities of hardy chrysanthemums were used as church decorations. The lighter, softer shades of the flowers, interspersed with green, were massed on the altar while the deeper shades flanked them at the sides, the arrangement being most effective.
The bride chose for her wedding a dress of moss green wool with a gray kid-skin jacket while the bridesmaid wore a wool dress of old gold coloring. Their corsages were chrysanthemums, in keeping with the church decorations.
Music for the service was provided by Mrs. James P. Daly, church organist.
Following the ceremony, a reception and wedding breakfast for members of the immediate families were held at the Stehle home.
Mrs. Barnes was educated at St. Agnes High School, Pennsylvania State College and the Robert Packer Hospital School of Nurses. At the completion of her training, she accepted a position at the Presbyterian Hospital in New York City, a unit of the Columbia Medical Center.
Edson Barnes graduated from Towanda High School and the Tri-State Engineering School at Angola, Ind. He is now employed by the Syracuse Adding Machine Exchange. Following their wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Barnes will reside at Syracuse. (handwritten on article 1939)
WEDDING OF MISS MILLS BRILLIANT AFFAIR
The Fall River, Mass, “Herald News” of Monday, November 20th, carried good pictures of the bridesmaids, bride, bride and groom and bride and her father in connection with the following account of the wedding of Miss Louise Van Dyne Mills to Mr. Richard Shove Borden.
Of wide social interest was the wedding on Saturday of Miss Louise Van Dyne Mills, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Beaumont Mills of 851 Highland Avenue and Richard Shove Borden, son of Mrs. Robert Remington Borden of 64 Underwood Street. The 4 o’clock afternoon ceremony was performed at the Church of the Ascension by the rector, Rev. Edmund J. Cleveland. The church was decorated with white chrysanthemums and white candles and the choir sang Harold Deplitch was organist.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, had eight attendants. She wore an ivory satin gown trimmed with lace worn by her mother and grandmother. She carried gardenias, lily-of-the-valley and bouvardia. Her sister, Miss Ruth Mills, was maid of honor and wore a gold taffeta gown with a matching doll hat made of tiny velvet bows. She carried yellow and bronze chrysanthemums. Another sister, Miss Betty Mills, was junior bridesmaid. She wore a gown of rose taffeta trimmed in blue and carried an old fashioned bouquet. Bridesmaids were Miss Sally Davol, Miss Mary E. Tripp, Miss Harriet Albro and Miss Harriet Brayton of this city; Miss Betty Prescott of Brookline and Miss Mary VanDyne of Troy, Pa. They wore gowns of powder blue taffeta with matching doll hats made like that of the maid of honor. They carried chrysanthemum bouquets of different colors.
James Judson Morgan of Naples, N.Y., was best man. Ushering were Robert R. Borden, Edward S. Borden and Sherman Brayton of this city; George W. Wheeler of Newport; William Barker of Westport Harbor; Nathaniel Davis of New York, Clifford Baker of Plainfield, N.J. and Theodore Marsters of Morristown, N.J.
The reception was held at the Mills residence. Mrs. Mills wore a dark brown crepe dress with green accessories and the bridegroom’s mother wore dark rust velvet with matching velvet hat. For traveling the bride wore a fitted teal blue coat and dress ensemble with silver fox furs and a small hat of silver fox. After Dec. 4 Mr. and Mrs. Borden will live at 35-06 94th Street, Jackson Heights, L.I. The bride is a graduate of the Masters School, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. and of the Erskine School in Boston. She is a member of the Junior League. The bridegroom was graduated from Middlesex and Phillips Andover Academy. He was a member of the Class of 1933 at Harvard University and the D. U. Club, Hasty Pudding Institute and the Speakers Club.
(handwritten on article 1939)
LURAY GIRLS AND HUSBANDS TO GRADUATE FROM NATIONAL U.
It is a bit unusual that Mozelle Painter and Madge Lee Brown should not have known each other during their childhood days in the little town of Luray, Va., but it is stranger still that they should have become friends after each had married classmates while studying law in National University.
When the two young women enrolled in the law school three years ago they had no definite plans for the future, but on June 17, 1937, Miss Brown was married to Fordyce Ward Kennedy and on March 25, 1938, Miss Painter married Gordon William Crozier.
The two women, with their husbands, will receive their diplomas at commencement exercises Tuesday night in Memorial Continental Hall, after which they will turn their attention to the problem of establishing themselves in their new position.
Both couples plan to practice law, but not together. Assuming they are successful at the bar examination, Mr. Crozier, now employed by Chester M. Wright, Associates, and Mr. Kennedy who is employed at the Navy Yard, will open law offices. Meanwhile, Mrs. Kennedy who works at the Department of Justice and Mrs. Crozier, an employee of the International Association of Machinists—their eyes open to the economic problem incidental to establishing a law practice—will keep their jobs, but they hope to be able to hang out shingles with their husbands later.
Mr. and Mrs. Crozier, who live at 2945 Connecticut Avenue, did not know each other before entering law school and decided to study lay independently. The Kennedys, who live at 1301 Vermont Avenue, had met prior to their school careers, and it was the wife—then Miss Brown—who first decided to study law. Mr. Kennedy went with her when she was enrolling and decided on the spur of the moment that he, too, would spend his evening in classrooms for the next three years.
And now that school is over, the Kennedys and the Croziers are making no predictions, but they hope that the coincidence which has made friends of the “small town” strangers is a good omen for the future.
Miss Edna Porter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carson Porter, Windfall, and Jack Hartsock, Troy, were married Saturday evening, June 24, at 7 o’clock at the Methodist parsonage by the Rev. Paul M. Brown in the presence of the immediate families. They were attended by Miss Ruth Porter, sister of the bride and E. N. Hartsock, brother of the bridegroom. After a wedding trip to Philadelphia and York, they will be at home after July 1st in their newly furnished apartment over the Biddle Bakery on Canton Street.
Miss Rebecca M. Griffith, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Abner T. Griffith, Leona was married at 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 5, 1939, to Dr. John Quincy Griffith, Philadelphia, in the First Methodist Church, Broad and Arch Sts., Philadelphia by Rev. M. Harold Nichols, pastor of the church, in the presence of only members of the family.
They left immediately for New York City, where they will take a boat for a South American cruise. Upon their return, they will live in Philadelphia.
Miss Ruth Mae Gerould, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Gerould, East Smithfield, and Harold E. Morse, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leland Morse, Troy, were married Wednesday evening, June 28, 1939 at 8 o’clock by the Rev. Don. R. Boyd, East Troy, at the parsonage. They were attended by Charlotte Brown and Russell Stanton, Troy. The bride wore a long dress of peach lace and carried a bouquet of delphinium., bridal daisies and baby’s breath. Miss Brown’s dress was of aqua moire taffeta. They left immediately after the ceremony for a brief trip to Niagara Falls and Canada. They now are at home near Springfield.
East Smithfield, Jan 7—The marriage of Miss Agnes Beach, oldest
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Beach to Robert D. Kennedy, son of
Mr. and Mrs. Ted potter, was solemnized at 8:30 January 6 in the presence
of the immediate relatives.
The bride was charmingly attired in a pale rose gown and carried a bouquet of pink roses. She was given in marriage by her father before a bank of evergreen trimmed with pink flowers.
The ceremony was performed by Rev. Owen Barrett. The only attendants were Miss Wilma Nichols, a school friend of the bride and Ellery Beach, brother of the bride. Miss Nichols was attired in a gown of light blue and carried a mixed bouquet. Immediately following the ceremony a reception and buffet luncheon were held at the bride’s home.
Those present were; Mr. and Mrs. John Beach and two daughters, Louise and Jennie; Mr. and Mrs. Ted Potter and children, Lucile, Eugene, and Mary; Mr. and Mrs. Ellery Beach, Sr., Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Rockwell of Troy; Mrs. Minnie Ayers of East Smithfield, Mrs. Howard Smith of Troy.
Both are popular young people, Mrs. Kennedy being a member of E. S. H. S., class of ’40, and Mr. Kennedy graduating at E.S.H.S. in the class of ’39. He is employed as a salesman for the Harris Candy Co., Sayre.
Miss Jeanette Pierce, of the First National Bank staff, and Lindley Stone were married last Saturday evening August 12, 1939, in the Methodist parsonage, East Smithfield, by Rev. Owen Barrett. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Israel Pierce, Smithfield, and the groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Stone, also of Springfield. They were attended by Miss Louise Ameigh, Wellsburg, N.Y., and Charles Pierce, brother of the bride. Mrs. Stone is a 1936 graduate of Troy High School and will return to her work in the bank following a honeymoon, which is including the Thousand Islands. The groom is engaged in farming and trucking. They will live in Columbia Cross Roads. This popular young couple have the best wishes of a host of friends in this section.
Miss Esther A. Evans, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Evans, Granville, became the bride of Mr. Albert B. Wrisley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Wrisley, West Burlington Township, last Friday evening, October 27th, 1939, in the Methodist parsonage at E. Troy, Rev. Don Boyd officiating. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Case. The bride, who is employed by the Van Dyne Oil Company here, is a graduate of Troy High School, class of 1936. The groom is also a graduate of Troy High School, class of 1933 and attended Mansfield State Teachers College. They are at home in the Nora Ruggles house, West Burlington. Mr. Wrisley is Principal of the Granville Center school.
Miss Sara Wrisley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Wrisley, and Thomas Case, son of Mr. and Mrs. Meade Case were married at 8 p.m. last Monday evening in the Methodist parsonage by Rev. Paul M. Brown. They were attended by Miss Esther Evans and Albert Wrisley. They are on a honeymoon to the New York World’s Fair and will be at home on their return in the apartment in the George W. McKean house that the bride has been occupying. Mrs. Case will continue in the J. H. McClelland store. Mr. Case is employed by the State Highway Department. Bride and groom are graduates of Troy High School and have the best wishes of hosts of friends in the Burlingtons and Troy.
Miss Julia Sadler, daughter of Mrs. Fanny Sadler and Mr. Earl Drake, Tunkhannock, were married on Wednesday, December 27th, 1939, in East Smithfield by the Rev. Owen Barrett. They were unattended. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School and is popular with a wide circle of friends through her many years with the Troy Tractor, Truck and Implement Company and the Troy Motor Company. Mr. Drake is employed by the International Harvester Company, Scranton office. Mrs. Drake will retain her position for the present and they will make their home in Troy.
Miss Mary Parke, who spent five years in Troy in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Putnam, and Mrs. Clyde Allen, son of Manford Allen and the late Mrs. Allen, were married on Wednesday, October 11th, 1939, in Covington, Ky., by the Rev. Goldsmith. They were attended by the bride’s mother, Mrs. Orey Alford, and Mr. Alford. After the ceremony, a reception was given in the home of the bride’s mother, Cincinnati, Ohio. The bride was graduated in 1939 from Troy High School and the groom was also graduated in 1932. He is employed in Cincinnati by the Queen City Roofing company and they will make their home there.
NEW JERSEY COUPLE MARRIED HERE SATURDAY EVENING
Groom Nephew of Mrs. Carter
John Kennedy Combs, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Combs, Camden, N.J. and Grace Beatrice Cooling, Collingswood, N.J., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Cooling, also of Collingswood, were united by marriage at the Baptist parsonage, Saturday February 23, at six-thirty by the Rev. James H. Carter. The groom was attended by his brother, Edward L. Combs, Haddonfield, N.J., the bride by her sister, Miss Elizabeth Cooling, Collingswood.
A wedding supper was served immediately after the ceremony at the parsonage. After a short trip, the couple will reside at their home in Westmont, N.J.
Those attending the wedding were Mrs. Edwards Combs, Camden; Mrs. James H. Carter, aunt of the groom and Master Edward Combs, III. The groom is a designer of furniture.
Mr. and Mrs. Guy Baker, Troy, announce the marriage of their daughter, Irene to Donald Baldwin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Baldwin, of Granville. The marriage took place on March 3d at two o’clock. The Rev. Porter, of Granville, officiated, using the ring ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Ferguson, of Windfall, were the attendants.
Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin are both graduates of the Troy High School. Mrs. Baldwin, R.N., is a graduate nurse of the Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre. The couple will live in Troy.
The announcement has been made of the marriage of Miss Henrietta Weigester, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Weigester, to Mr. Donald R. Cook, of Edwardsville, Pa., in Elkton, Md., January 2d, 1937.
Miss Frances Freelove, daughter of J. Alonzo Freelove and Allison W. Fay, son of Mrs. Fred Fay, were married in February by James O. McClure, Justice of the Peace, Elmira. The bride was graduated from Troy High School, class of 1935, the groom is also a graduate class of 1932. Mr. Fay has been employed for some time in the F. L. Ballard jewelry store. They will live in Troy. Mr. and Mrs. Fay have a wide circle of friends, who wish them many years of happiness.
Miss Belle Raymond Foote, second daughter of Mrs. M. H. Foote, and Mr. George D. Powers, Athens, were married this Thursday morning, June 1st, 1939, in the home of the groom by Rev. F. W. Trumbore, Rector of St. Clements, Wilkes-Barre, a former Rector of the bride. They were unattended. On account of the recent illness of Mr. Powers, the wedding was very simple. The bride is a graduate in 1907 of Troy High School and has accumulated an unusually wide circle of friends through her 18 years in the Robert Packer Hospital, recent years as chief anesthetist, Mr. Powers is in the furniture and undertaking business in Athens, where they will reside.
Miss Nell G. DePew, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred DePew, and Sevellon Smith, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Merton Smith, were married in Canton last Thursday evening, May 25, 1939, by Rev. Earl Sidler, in the parsonage of the Baptist Church. They have been on a honeymoon to Niagara Falls and will live n the groom’s home on Canton Street. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School and the Robert Packer Hospital Training School for Nurses. The groom is employed by F. P. Case & Sons, Inc. They have many friends in Troy, who wish them every good thing.
MISS HAIGHT MARRIED IN TOWANDA
Becomes Bride of Robert E. Perry
Miss Anna S. Haight, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Seward Haight, East Troy, and Robert E. Perry, son of Ray Perry, Sheshequin, were married at 10:30 Thursday morning, June 15th., 1939, at Towanda by the Rev. J. D. Herrick of the Universalist church.
They were attended by Doris Haight, State College, sister of the bride, and Roland Perry, brother of the bridegroom. The bride was charming in navy blue crepe with matching accessories. The bridesmaid was very pretty in dusty pink with blue accessories.
The reception was held at the home of the bride’s father. The following were present: Ray Perry, Marjorie and Roland Perry, Sheshequin; Mr. and Mrs. N. W. Allen, Rutland; Mr. and Mrs. Merle Haight and daughter, Joan, Burlington; Mrs. Anna Baxter, East Troy; Doris Haight, State College; Mr. and Mrs. Seward Haight, Floyd and Robert Haight, Troy.
The bride is a graduate of Troy High School and Mansfield State Teachers College. The groom is a graduate of Towanda High School and is successfully engaged in farming.
After a short wedding trip to New York and the World’s Fair they will reside in Sheshequin.
MISS GREEN BRIDE OF GEORGE SCHOONOVER
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at Saint Michael’s church in Canton on Saturday morning, July 1st, 1939, when Margaret Green, Canton, a niece of Mrs. Galen Williams, was married to George Schoonover, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Schoonover, Troy, by Rev. Joseph McHugh, Pastor of the church. Miss Kathryn Wightman, Elmira, was bridesmaid and Robert Evans, Canton, was best man.
The bride wore a gown of white lace and net with finger tip veil with crown of orange blossoms and carried an arm bouquet of talisman roses and delphinium. The bridesmaid was attired in a gown f blue organza and carried pink roses and delphinium.
Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Peckham spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Howard LaMont. Monday was the occasion of their fifty-eighth wedding anniversary. As both Mr. and Mrs. Peckham are in ill health no special celebration was made. Their many friends and neighbors extend their most hearty congratulations.
MISS MARY ISBELL MARRIED TO JOHN EARL BLOOM
Lakewood, N.Y. was the scene last Saturday June 18th, of a most attractive June wedding when Miss Mary Frances Isbell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Denis Francis Howe, became the bride of John Earl Bloom, son of Mrs. Mary Clark Bloom, Troy and the late Earl Mitchell Bloom at 11:30 o’clock in the rectory of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church. Rev. Timothy J. Lynch, Pastor of the church, performed the ceremony in the presence of relatives and a few intimate friends of the bride and bridegroom.
Miss Audrey Fillmore, niece of Mrs. George Schaad, Canton, and Merle Williams, son of Mr. and Mrs. Merle Williams, Troy, were married at 11:00 last Saturday morning, May 6, 1939, in their newly furnished apartment in the F. P. Case & Sons building, Canton, Rev. Larue Brown of the Church of Christ, Canton, officiating. They were attended by Miss Edna Reynolds, Troy, and George Anderson, East Troy. Mr. Williams is employed by the Swayze Manufacturing Company, Canton, as a truck driver. Following a wedding breakfast, they left on a short honeymoon.
MISS POMEROY BRIDE OF DR. BROWN
In a simple but very pretty ceremony last Saturday afternoon, June 25th, 1939, at 3:30 P.M., Miss Mary Frances Pomeroy, youngest of the D. F. Pomeroy family, became the bride of Dr. Lawrence W. Brown, second son of Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Brown. Rev. Philip Wolcott Furst, their pastor, performed the ceremony in the home of the bride. Decoration was of white phlox and blue delphinium. Mrs. John R. Deemy, sister of the bride sang “At Dawning” with Miss Louise Parsons as accompanist. Miss Parsons, piano and Mr. Oliver Mitchell, violin, played the wedding march from Lohengrin as the wedding party entered. The blue and white dressed pages—Elizabeth Pomeroy Byrem, Mary Frances Deemy, Dorothy Brown and John R. Deemy, Jr—preceded the bride and the matron of honor; her sister, Mrs. John A. Byrem, Glen Rock, N.J.—and formed an aisle of blue and white streamers. The bride was charming in white moire suit, white hat trimmed in blue and white accessories. She carried a bouquet of white calla lilies and blue delphiniums. Mrs. Byrem wore a rose print dress and carried white roses. The groom was attended by Rex Brown.
The following clipping from the June 24th issue of the Indianapolis Star tells of the marriage of the son of a former Trojan. Mrs. F. G. Lorenz is the former Bessie Sherman and is related to many in the Troy Community. Mr. and Mrs. Lorenz were recent guests of Mrs. Fannie Gustin. The Star says; “The marriage of Miss Marjorie McCowan of Clinton, Mo., to Paul S. Lorenz, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Lorenz, 3423 Salem Street, took place at 7 o’clock last night in the Episcopal Church of the Advent. The Rev. George S. Southworth officiated. Mrs. Russell Sanders, organist, played. Attendants were Miss Virginia Ann Lorenz and Frederick G. Lorenz, sister and brother of the bridegroom. The bride wore a printed sheer suit with white accessories and gardenias. After a short motor trip the couple will be at home in Indianapolis.
The Skinners and Morrells “Horning Bee” Saturday night. The bride-grooms had never seen one before (Mary told the cop, who was trying to break up the traffic jam caused by the mile long procession “That’s all right, officer, they are all with us.”) (Adelle said,” All my life I’ve wanted to ride in that carriage of Dad’s; guess I had to get married to do it.”) Doc Couch smashed into his fellow osteopath’s new car. The crowd gathered at the Old Mill Stream for square dancing.
MISS WILKINSON BRIDE OF MR. LANE
Gladys I. Wilkinson, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Burt Wilkinson, East Smithfield, and Earl F. Lane, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emory Lane, Burlington Township, were united in marriage Saturday afternoon, April 20, 1940, by the Rev. W. C. Davies at his home. The bride was charmingly attired in a gown of powder blue lace with dark blue accessories and wore a corsage of pink rose buds and white sweet peas. The only attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Leon Lane, East Smithfield, brother and sister-in-law of the groom. Mrs. Lane was attired in a light pink gown with teal blue accessories and wore a corsage of pink rose buds. Following the wedding, the happy couple left for a short wedding trip. Both are popular young people in the community. Mrs. Lane graduated from East Smithfield in 1932 and from Sayre High in 1933 and at the present time, is employed by the East Smithfield Farms Co., E. Smithfield. Mr. Lane graduated from Dundee, N.Y. High School and is connected with the East Smithfield Farms Co., East Smithfield. After May 15th they will be at their newly furnished apartment in the A. F. Phelps home, East Smithfield.
Miss Vera Louise Kelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Kelly, Horseheads, and George Bruce, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Bruce, Troy, were married on Saturday, July 20, 1940, in the home of the bride by Rev. Herbert J. Gordon, Pastor of the Horseheads Methodist Church. Miss Jean Marie Kelly, sister of the bride and Norman Beardslee were the attendants. Ward Wayne Williamson played “Oh Promise Me”, “I Love You Truly,” and the wedding march from Lohengrin on the xylophone.
The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, wore a gown of pink lace with white accessories and wore a corsage of white gladioli and white sweet peas. The maid of honor wore a blue sharkskin dress with white accessories and carried pink gladioli and pink and white sweet peas. (rest of article is missing)
MISS POMEROY BRIDE OF MR. MORRELL IN PRETTY CEREMONY
Miss Adelle Pomeroy, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Webber Pomeroy and Mr. John Edward Morrell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank C. Morrell, Amityville, N.Y., were married at 4 p.m. last Saturday, June 1st, 1940, in the home of the bride’s parents.
The impressive Episcopal service was read by the groom’s father, Frank C. Morrell, and the blessing was given by the bride’s former Pastor, Edward P. Morse, Elmira, N.U. Mr. Morse was the officiating clergyman when the bride’s parents were married.
The home was beautifully decorated with spring flowers and the ceremony was performed before a screen of laurel bordered with white lilacs. White tapers were on each side of the screen. Mrs. Harry S. Mitchell, piano, Mrs. George F. Case and Mr. Oliver C. Mitchell, violins, played before the wedding. Mrs. Horace B. Pomeroy, Buffalo, N.Y., a very talented pianist played the Lohengrin wedding march as the bride and her attendants descended the spacious stairway and were met by the groom and the groomsman, Mr. Vincent Morrell, Amityville, N.Y. The bride was charming in ivory satin, princess style, with veil and train. Her wedding dress was also worn by her sister, Mrs. A. Henry Case, when she was married and the veil was her mother’s. She carried white roses and lilies-of-the-valley. Her maid of honor, Miss Ruth Timm, Yonkers, N.Y. and the matron of honor, Mrs. A. Henry Case, wore blue marquisette, Juliet caps and carried pink roses with ferns. The pages were John P. Case, nephew of the bride, and Rudolph Sitler, Jr., nephew of the groom. Little Miss Lydia Adelle Case, niece of the bride, was flower girl and carried a bouquet of sweet peas. The ushers were A. Henry Case and Lawrence Pomeroy, New York City.
For traveling, the bride wore a brown print ensemble with matching accessories. They are honeymooning at a New Jersey lake and will be at home after June 15th at Bogota, N.J. The bride, one of Troy’s most popular girls, is a graduate of Troy High School, Buffalo Seminary, Mount Holyoke College and the Erskine School in Boston, Mass. The groom is a mechanical designer with the Bendix Aviation Corporation. He is a graduate of Amityville High School and Columbia University.
Out-of-town guests included Mr. and Mrs. Frank C. Morrell, Dudley Morrell, Mr. and Rms. Vincent Morrell, Miss Isabel Inglee, Miss Erna Sitler, Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Sitler and Rudolph Sitler, Jr., Amityville, L.I.; Mr. and Mrs. Horace B. Pomeroy, Buffalo, N.Y.; Mrs. Adelle Shaw, Detroit, Mich; Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Pomeroy, New York City, Mr. and Mrs. James Dutton, East Orange, N.J.; Mrs. Thor A. Lundgren, Caldwell, N.J.; Miss Ruth Timm, Yonkers, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Edward Anewalt, West Lawn, Pa.; Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Weigester, Washington, D.C.; Brewster Ruggles, Brewster Merrill, Towanda; Mrs. Laura Lauer, Miss Caryl Lauer, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Lauer, Lock Haven; J. W. McLane, Encino, Cal.
MISS MARY LUCILLE DAVIES, WILLIAM A. BAKER WED AT MONTOURSVILLE
Montoursville, April 29—On Sunday morning, April 21, in a ceremony performed at the Bethany Lutheran parsonage in Montoursville, Miss Mary Lucille Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Davis of Towanda, became the bride of William A. Baker, son of Albert M. Baker, also of Towanda. The Rev. O. E. Sunday officiated. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas R. Sunday were the attendants.
Immediately after the ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served at the Hearthstone. Mr. and Mrs. Baker then left on a motor-trip to New York City and the New England states. They will be at home after April 30 at 6 Mix Avenue, Towanda.
Mrs. Baker, a former resident of Montoursville, is a graduate of Towanda High School and the Germantown Hospital Training School for Nurses. Mr. Baker is a graduate of Towanda High School and is in business with his father. (handwritten on article 1942)
MISS GILBERTA KINGSLEY BECOMES BRIDE OF EUSTACE G. KELLOGG
East Smithfield, May 21—The wedding of Gilberta Kingsley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Kingsley, and Eustace G. Kellogg, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Kellogg, both of East Smithfield took place Monday morning, May 20, at the home of Rev. H. A. Sealer who performed the ceremony. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Damon R. Young, sister and brother-in-law of the bride.
After the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride’s parents.
Mrs. Kellogg is a graduate of East Smithfield and Sayre High Schools, attended Mansfield State Teachers college for three years and has successfully taught three terms in the Greens Landing School in Athens Township.
The groom is a graduate of East Smithfield High School and is an electric welder at the Spring and Welding Works in Elmira.
After a short wedding trip the couple will be at home at 22 ½ College Ave., Elmira Heights.
Miss Dorothea M. Morrow, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Andrew Morrow
of Towanda, was married at 4 o’clock last Saturday afternoon in the First
Presbyterian Church at Norristown to Willis O. Benson, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Charles Benson, 545 Chester Pike, Prospect Park.
Rev. J. M. Corum, Jr., pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. Palms and lilies were placed at the altar. The bride was given in marriage by her father, county superintendent of schools in this county.
Organ wedding music was played by Mrs. Edgar Wismer of Norristown.
The marriage of Mr. Edward Strong Wilson to Miss Evelyn May Sprague, daughter of Mrs. Henry James Sprague, will take place at 4 o’clock tomorrow, June 28, 1940, at the home Mr. and Mrs. Miles Edgar Veevers.
MISS MADELINE DUNBAR IS ENGAGED TO MARRY BENTLEY CREEK MAN
Big Pond, Dec. 25—The engagement of Miss Madeline Dunbar to LaRue Montanye of Bentley Creek was announced at a Christmas party in the R. C. Dunbar home Saturday evening. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Craig, Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Robbins, Mr. and Mrs. Clifford May, Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Woodard, Misses Madeline, Eudora, Shirley Dunbar, Ruth McKnight, Alice Montanye, Messrs. Larue and Deo Montanye, Leigh Sturdevant, Bernard Grace, Ansil Young and Leland Robbins. (handwritten on article 1940_
Miss Betty Stewart, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Stewart, Interlaken, N.Y. and Paul E. Reynolds, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Reynolds, Troy, were married at 4 p.m. last Sunday, December 22d, 1940, in the Methodist Parsonage here by Rev. Don Boyd. They were attended by Miss Doris Nash and Paul Gates. Following the ceremony, a dinner party was held in Elmira. The groom is a 1940 graduate of Troy High School and is employed by the A. & P. store. Many friends wish the young couple all kinds of happiness.
Alden E. Swayze and Alise M. Motyer, both of Canton. (handwritten on article 1940)
PRETTY WEDDING AT GILLETT
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Holcomb, Gillett, on Sunday, May 12, 1940, at 10 a.m. when Miss Donna Merritt, daughter of Mr. Mack Merritt and the late Mrs. Merritt of Granville Summit, became the bride of Gerald S. Patterson, Washington, Pa., son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sydney Patterson, Columbia Cross Roads.
The bride wore a jacket dress of navy blue crepe with a corsage of white sweet peas. Her matron of honor was Mrs. Donald Holcomb, sister of the bridegroom. Her dress was powder blue with a corsage of pink sweet peas and rose buds. Mr. Holcomb was best man for Mr. Patterson.
Canton, Dec. 6—Lawrence G. Young, a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. D. Young
of Troy, and Drusilla E. Kennedy, daughter of James Kennedy, of Connellsville,
Pa., were married at the parsonage of the Church of Christ in Canton at
9 p.m.Wednesday by the pastor, Rev. LaRue Z. Brown.
Mr. Young is a graduate of the Troy High School and Mrs. Young is a student at the Mansfield State Teachers College. They will reside in Troy. (handwritten on article 1940)
WAYNE HUNTINGTON MARRIES VIRGINIA WALRATH IN QUIET WEDDING
The marriage of Miss Virginia Walrath, daughter of Mrs. Grace Walrath of Elmira, N.Y., and Wayne L. Huntington, son of Mr. and Mrs. Warren D. Huntington of Springfield was solemnized in the Trinity Episcopal church, Elmira at 10:30 Sunday morning, Aug. 11th. The Rev. Mr. Allington officiated.
The bride was very charmingly dressed in dusty pink crepe with navy blue accessories and wore a corsage of red rose buds. She was attended by a sister of the groom, Miss Josephine Huntington who wore printed green chiffon with white accessories and a corsage of pink rose buds.
The groom was attended by George Elsbree, a close friend.
The guests aside from the immediate families were a friend of the bride, Mrs. Carrie Enright of Wellsburg, N.Y., and an aunt of the groom, Mrs. Frank Sherwood and family of Palo Alto, Calif.
After the ceremony a delicious wedding breakfast was served at the Langwell Hotel, then they left at once amid a shower of rice and confetti for their honeymoon trip through the Adirondack Mountains and Thousand Islands.
They will be at their new home in Springfield after August 20th.
Brewster A. Ruggles, prominent Towanda business man, and Mrs.
Salkeld Ahlheim of Ridgewood, N.J. were married Saturday, September
28, at Fort Washington Collegiate Church, New York City, at 12 o’clock
noon. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Henry A. Vruwink.
The bride was given away by her father, Henry F. Salkeld. The matron of honor was Mrs. Elizabeth Heidenrich of Albany, N.Y., a sister of the bride, and the best man was Walter Brewster Merritt, nephew of the groom.
Ushers were H. F. Salkeld, Jr. of West Hartford, Conn., Charles F. Salkeld of Ridgewood, N.J., Dr. W. Glen Kilmer of New York City and James C. Costello of East Orange, N.J.
Immediately following the ceremony there was a wedding breakfast and reception in the Jansen Suite at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel for the wedding party and immediate relatives.
After a motor trip to Canada, Mr. and Mrs. Ruggles expect to be at home to their friends in Towanda about October 15.
On Sunday, September 8, 1940, at 2 p.m., Miss Beatrice M. Smith, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leon J. Smith, and Mr. George M. Pepper, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emmor Pepper, Granville, were married in the home of the bride by Rev. Paul M. Brown. The single ring ceremony took place beneath an archway of gladiolas and asters. The bride was charming in dark green with brown accessories. She wore a corsage of small white gladiolas and was attended by Mrs. Frances Kenyon, who wore a gown of cinnamon. The groomsman was Richard Hawthorne. The bride was given in marriage by her father.
Mrs. Pepper is a 1939 graduate of Troy High School and the groom was a member of the class of 1938. Mr. Pepper is associated with his father in the farming business. Following a wedding supper, the bride and groom left for a honeymoon that will include Sodus Point, Niagara Falls and other points of interest. Guests from elsewhere included the bride’s grandmother, Mrs. C. A. smith and aunt, Miss Ruby Ballard, Wellsboro.
The Mountain Lake church was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Tuesday,
October 1, when Elizabeth Louise Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Glenn Allen of Mountain Lake, was united in marriage to Albert Miller
Woleslagle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Woleslagle of Troy.
The impressive ring ceremony was performed by Rev. Warren Odom of Syracuse, former pastor of the Mountain Lake Church.
Before the ceremony Miss Phyllis Madigan played a piano solo, “Liebestraum,” and Misses Yvonne and Marilyn Lane sang “I Love You Truly.”
When the wedding party entered the church, Mrs. Warren Odom, wife of Rev. Odom, at the piano played “Lohengrin’s Wedding March” and “Mendelssohn’s Wedding March” as a recessional.
The bride, dressed in white satin with finger tip veil and carrying a bouquet of white roses, entered the church on the arm of her father, who gave her in marriage. Miss Leona Allen, sister of the bride, was maid of honor. Her dress was aqua taffeta and she carried pink asters.
Miss Sara Woleslagle and Miss Helen Woleslagle, sisters of the groom, were bridesmaids and were dressed in rose taffeta and carried orchid asters.
Richard Schaffer of Elmira acted as best man. Paul Allen of Athens and Elwyn Wrisley of Troy were the ushers.
The bride’s mother was dressed in a wine velvet ensemble and the groom’s mother wore blue with white accessories.
Immediately after the wedding a reception was held at the Mountain Lake Hotel. Nearly 60 friends and relatives attended. The couple received many lovely gifts.
After a short wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Woleslagle will be at home on Center Street in Troy.
Mr. and Mrs. Woleslagle both graduated from Troy High School class of 1933, and the groom is employed by F. P. Case and Son.
This is the first wedding to be held in the Mountain Lake Church which was built in 1896.
Miss Laura Jane Kulp, daughter of Daniel V. and Laura McCabe Kulp, Painted Post was married on Saturday, September 14, 1940 to Elwyn L. Jacobs, Corning.
Miss Harriett Marie Baldwin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Baldwin, Granville and Mr. C. Edward Quinn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Quinn, Troy, were married Saturday evening August, 31, 1940 at 7 o’clock at the Church of Christ, Granville by the Rev. Jesse Porter. The church was beautifully decorated with hydrangeas and gladioli and lighted only by candles.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, was dressed in white chiffon and carried lilies and baby’s breath. Miss Doris Nash, Troy, maid of honor, wore aqua chiffon and carried white gladioli. Miss Marjorie Mahood, Troy, bridesmaid, wore pink organdie and carried white gladioli. Howard Quinn, brother of the bridegroom was best man, and Charles Baldwin, brother of the bride, was usher. The wedding march was played by Mrs. Anna Taylor, accompanied by Miss Betty Strong, Gillett, violinist. Before the ceremony, Miss Marjorie Mahood sang “Oh Promise Me” and “ The Sweetest Story Ever Told”.
After a wedding reception at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Quinn left for a wedding trip to Washington and southern points and will be at home in Troy after September 15.
Mrs. Quinn is a graduate of Troy High School, 1940. Mr. Quinn is a graduate of Troy High School, 1937 and is employed at the Hillyer Service Station.
Out-of-town guests included Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Carr, Chester Carr and daughter, June; Mrs. Adeline Williams, Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Whitaker, LeRoy; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Capithorn, Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Case, Canton.
ENGAGEMENT OF MISS BLACK ANNOUNCED
Troy friends of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Linwood Black (nee E. Agnese Hooley) Greensboro, N.C. will be interested in the announcement of the engagement of their daughter, Miss Margaret Black. In connection with a fine picture of Miss Black, the following appeared in a recent issue of the daily newspaper there:
“Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Linwood Black announce today the engagement of their only daughter, Margaret, to Paul Dickson, son of Mrs. Annie Barnes Dickson, of Raeford, and the late Paul Dickson. The marriage will take place in early November at the home of the bride’s parents, 1007 Fairmont Street.
Miss Black is a native of Philadelphia, Pa. but has lived in Greensboro for the past 12 years. She is a graduate of Greensboro High School and a 1940 graduate of Woman’s College where she majored in art. At Woman’s college she was a member of the Alethian Society and of the Art Club for which she served as secretary and treasurer her junior year. The bride-elect is a grand-daughter of the late Rev. William Black, of Charlotte, a Presbyterian minister who was active in the organization of home mission work in this state.
Mr. Dickson, elder son of Mrs. Dickson and the late Mr. Dickson, is a native of Raeford. He graduated from Raeford High School, attended Danville Military Institute, the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and Marion Military School, Marion, Ala. He is a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. Until recently he was editor of the News-Journal in Raeford and at present he is lieutenant in the National Guard stationed at Fort Moultric, Charleston, S. C.”
Rev. and Mrs. L. Paul Rockwell came Tuesday evening from North Madison, Ohio, where Mr. Rockwell has been conducting an evangelistic campaign, for a visit to their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Perry Rockwell.
There will be a variety shower for Mr. and Rms. Russell Stanton at the M. E. Church on Saturday night. (handwritten on article 1940)
Miss Margaret C. Rumsey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rumsey, Columbia Cross Roads, and Griffin B. Hubbard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Merle Hubbard, Wetona, were united in marriage at 3 p.m., Saturday, June 22, in the Methodist parsonage at Troy by the bride’s pastor, Rev. Paul Brown. There were attended by the bride’s sister, Miss Charlotte Rumsey, and the grooms’ brother, Evertt Hubbard, Athens.
The bride’s dress was white with white accessories. Her corsage was pink rose buds, baby’s breath and white sweet peas. The bridesmaid’s dress was pale green with white accessories. Her corsage was yellow rose buds, baby’s breath and white sweet peas.
A reception followed at the home of the bride’s parents, Columbia Cross Roads. Mrs.
Everett Hubbard poured at the tea table.
The bride’s traveling outfit was rose lace with navy accessories.
After a trip through Southern Pennsylvania and Maryland, they will be at home with the groom’s parents for the present.
Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard are graduates of Troy High School and have the best wishes of a host of friends. (handwritten on article 1940)
Miss Mary Jane White, daughter of Mrs. Charles White, Snedekerville, and the late Mr. White, and Mr. John E.Snedeker, Jr., son of County Commissioner and Mrs. John E. Snedeker, were married last Saturday afternoon, June 8th, 1940, in St. John’s Rectory by the Rev. J. L. McHugh. The bride was very pretty in a dusty pink suit and white accessories and carried a bouquet of white stock. Her bride’s maid, Miss Clara McClure, wore a black and white bolero dress and carried yellow and orange flowers. Mr. Snedeker’s attendant was Mr. Theodore Vineski.
Bride and groom are graduates of Troy High School. Mrs. Snedeker has been employed for some time in the F. P. Case & Sons office and is one of the most popular girls in Troy. The groom is working in Towanda. They will reside for the present in the White home in Snedekerville as Mrs. White expects to be away for the summer. (handwritten on article 1940)
Miss Gertrude Packard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Packard, Windfall, and MR. Donald Rockwell, son of Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Rockwell, Troy, were married Monday, June 10, 1940 in the Silverbrook Methodist Church in Wilmington, Del., by the Rev. J. Harry Wright. Both are graduates of Troy High School. They will reside with the grooms parents for the present. A host of friends wish them happiness.
Miss Mary Helen Rathbun, Eat Troy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kendrick Rathbun, and Floyd Chamberlain, son of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Chamberlain, Troy were married Monday, June 25, 1940 at 8 p.m. at the Methodist parsonage of East Smithfield, Pa. The Rev. Owen Barrett officiated. Their attendants were Miss Marjorie Chamberlain, sister of the bridegroom, and Charles Rathbun, brother of the bride. A reception for the immediate families followed at the home of the bride.
THOMPSON-DEWEY NUPTIALS AT LOS ANGELES
Charles e. Dewey, Lieut. United States Army Air Corp., son of Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Dewey, Troy, Pa., and Ellen Maye Thompson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Thompson, Mansfield, Pa., were married in “The Wedding Manor” of Los Angeles, June 30, 1940, at 4 o’clock p.m. The bride was dressed in white silk with cap and veil and carried an old fashioned bouquet of white roses, gardenias and sweet peas. The veil was fastened on with orange blossoms. Her maid of honor was Miss June Roebuck, of Bakersville, Cal., who wore a powder blue dress and carried sweet peas. Miss Beverly Little, cousin of the groom, was flower girl. The groom and his best man, Mr. Robert Baxter, Atlanta, Ga., were in military uniform. Lieut. Dewey is stationed at March Field, Cal. After the marriage, a reception and buffet supper were held at the home of the groom’s aunt, Mrs. John Berg, Los Angeles. The couple left for a short wedding trip to Catalina Island, after which they will reside at 1814 Seventh Street, Riverside, Calif.
Arland B. Cooke and Miss Dorothy F. Brown, both of Troy, were married yesterday morning June 12, 1940, at 10 o’clock in the Methodist parsonage by the Rev. Paul M. Brown. They were unattended. The bride was very attractive in navy and white. The groom, a druggist in the Carpenter & Pierce Co., store is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Otis Cooke, Mansfield and the bride is a daughter of Leon Brown, Troy Township. She has been a teacher in the Martha Lloyd School for some time and is very popular among her friends.
After a trip through the New England States, Mr. and Mrs. Cooke will reside in their newly furnished home, the William Weigester property, Center Street. Both bride and groom have the best wishes of a host of friends in the Troy community.
Wilma Fanning, daughter of the late Ulysses Fanning and Mrs. Fanning, Canton, and Theodore Sims, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Sims, Troy, were married by Rev. O. D. Young at his home Saturday, June 29, 1940, at 1:00. After a wedding trip through North Carolina, the couple will reside in the Miller house at Center and High Sts. Mr. Sims is a mechanic at the Van Horn Garage.
Miss Eleanore Krise, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Krise, Troy, and Eugene Case, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rodman Case, Towanda, were married at Reading, Pennsylvania, in the Albright College Chapel at 7:30 a.m., Saturday June 8, 1940, by Rev. Lewis Briner, an intimate friend and former classmate of the groom. They were attended by Robert Hoppes, Frackville, Pa., former room mate of the groom and Miss Betty Keim, Reading, Pa. The bride wore a beige dress with brown accessories, a large leghorn hat and a corsage of gardenias. The groom was attired in a white gabardine suit. Following a wedding breakfast at Hotel Berkshire, the bride and groom motored to New York and through the New England States of a honeymoon.
Miss Henrietta Bohlayer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William F. Bohlayer, Canton, and Raymond M. Van Noy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Van Nov, Alba, were married Wednesday, June 26, 1940, at Scranton by the Rev. Earl Confer. They will reside at Canoe Camp.
Miss Charlotte Brown, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Francis Brown, E. Smithfield, and Russel Stanton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Stanton, East Troy, were married at Rev. Donald Boyd’s residence, East Troy, Friday, May 31st at 6:30 p.m. The bride’s dress was rose georgette silk with white accessories. Her flowers were white stocks and blue for-get-me-nots. The maid of honor was Wilma Brethen, a class mate of the bride. Best man was Carson Bailey, both of Troy. The bridesmaid’s dress was blue lace with white accessories, her flowers were white and pink snapdragons. Mrs. Stanton is a graduate of East Smithfield High School. Following a trip to Niagara Falls they will be at home in an apartment in Mrs. Nellie Ballard’s house.
Miss Ethel Joralemon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Joralemon, Mud Creek Road, and Howard Summers, Geneva, N.Y., formerly of Troy, were married in the East Smithfield Methodist parsonage last Saturday, June 1, 1940, at 11 a.m. by Rev. Owen Barrett. The groom is the son of Mrs. Agnes Summers. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School. They were attended by Miss Irene Joralemon, sister of the bride, and Quentin Summers, brother of the groom. Following a honeymoon in Canada, they will reside in Geneva, N.Y. where the groom is employed by the American Can Company.
BEACHES CELEBRATE GOLDEN WEDDING IN SMITHFIELD
A very delightful gathering was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ellery Beach, August 28, 1939, as they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Dinner was served at noon to the immediate family, including a son George J. Beach, who, with his wife and daughters, Shirley and Helen, had come from Portland, Oregon, a daughter Mrs. Emma Zerby and her daughter Helen, Steelton; son, John Beach, Mrs. Beach and children, Ellery, Agnes, Jennie and Louise, son Clarence Beach. Mrs. Beach and sons Richard and Duane, also present were Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Wood, Galeton, and daughter Mrs. Edith Menkee, Akron, Ohio. Besides those who called in the afternoon, friends, neighbors and many from the M. E. Church came in the evening, bringing refreshments and a basket of beautiful flowers. Many gifts and cards were received during the day.
PEETS MARRIED 50 YEARS
Mr. Dwight Sargeant, Mr. William Young, Mr. and Mrs. Freeman Gates spent Friday, November 10th, with Mr. and Mrs. Fred Peet, it being their fiftieth wedding anniversary. Mrs. Gates presented them with a lovely wedding cake. Mr. Sargeant attended their wedding fifty years ago. All departed wishing them a long and happy future.
MR. AND MRS. THOMAS OBSERVE 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
A very happy occasion on last Monday, January 15, 1940, was the observation in their home on the Troy-Canton Road, of the 50th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Meade Thomas. About 140 guests were entertained during the afternoon and evening. Mrs. Thomas was Miss Lizzie Newell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Newell, Troy Township, and she and Mr. Thomas were married in the home of her parents on January 15, 1890, by the Rev. Henry Andrews. They have two sons, Albert, Utica, N.Y. and Sherman, Elmira, who with their families were present. With the exception of a few years, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have resided their 50 years of married life in the home they now occupy. Many useful gifts, including money, were received by the bride and groom.
SPRINGFIELD COUPLE MARRIED 50 YEARS
On last Monday, January 22, 1940, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brace celebrated their golden wedding anniversary by entertaining a number of their friends and relatives at a three-course dinner in their home in Springfield. Covers were laid for twenty-six. The table was tastefully decorated with gold and white flowers and candies surrounding a large gold and white bride’s cake in the center. The gold and white color scheme were carried out in the decorations of the other rooms. Many lovely and useful gifts were received.
Mrs. Brace was Miss Hattie Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Allen, Springfield, and they were married in Elmira on January 22, 1890 by the Rev. William T. Henry.
They live in the old Brace homestead, which was built by William Brace, Sr., who was among the first settlers in the community. Mr. Brace is well-known among dairymen, being one of the first breeders of short-horn cattle in the county.
Mr. and Mrs. Brace have two sons, Reid and Lou, both of Springfield, four grandchildren and one great-grand-daughter, all of whom were present.
JERSEY SHORE COUPLE MARRIED FIFTY YEARS
Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Goodall, of 1023 Thompson Street, Jersey Shore, celebrated their golden wedding on July 4. They are the parents of seven children, six of whom are living. There are 12 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. These relatives attended an anniversary celebration: Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Huck and children, Kenneth, Ellen and Marion, of Wellsboro; Mr. and Mrs. M. S. Goodall and children, Lawrence, Earl, Leon and Helen, and Mrs. F. M. Beauter, of Williamsport; Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Goodall and daughter, Ora, of Weatherly. Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Goodall, of Williamsport; Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Goodall, of Jersey Shore; Mrs. Dell Goodall and daughter Stella of Binghamton, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Russell Fowler and children, Bobbie, Harley and Phyllis, of Morris; Mrs. Romig of Weatherly; John Gray of Williamsport; Charles Wheeler of Wellsboro. Mr. and Mrs. Goodall received many presents. The oldest person present was Mrs. Dell Goodall, who is 85 years old, and a sister-in-law of the bridegroom of 50 years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Card, daughter, Marie Frances, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stanton were delightfully entertained by Mr. and Mrs. Fred W. Card at Morningside farm Saturday evening, Feb. 10th, the occasion being the nineteenth wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Card. (handwritten on article 1940)
SILVER WEDDING ANNIVERSARY AT GRANVILLE CENTER
Granville Center, March 14—Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Haflett celebrated their silver wedding anniversary Saturday evening, March 9. (handwritten on article 1940)
You are the visitor to this page of marriages since the counter was installed on March 7, 1999. Page relocated and Counter Reset 07 NOV 2006.