Bessie Pomeroy LEE 1900
Marriege to Arthur Wentworth HALL
The most interesting social event of the season took place on last Wednesday
evening, Sept. 5th, in the marriage of Miss Bessie Pomeroy Lee
to Mr. Arthur Wentworth Hall, of Brooklyn, Miss Lee’s name as an artist
of rare skill and genius is well known, while Mr. Hall who is connected
with a prominent legal firm in New York, belongs to a fine old Georgia
family, and has already won many warm friends here.
The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Charles Hamilton McKnight, whose beautiful rendering of the service made it particularly impressive. The marriage hymn "O Perfect Love," was sung by Miss Jeannette Kenyon. Music from Lohengrin was played softly throughout the entire service, and from Greig, von Fielitz, and Wagner before the arrival of the bridal party, changing to the march from Tannhauser as they entered the church.
The wedding procession walked from the home of Mrs. Charles C. Paine to the church, their path being carpeted and screened from the street by vines of wild clematis and arches of green boughs and golden rod. The aisle was outlined by torches of white and ping hydrangeas held aloft by rods wound with clematis and ending at the entrance to the chancel in an arch of the delicate Japan clematis, whose white-starred sprays combined with masses of bittersweet vines formed a screen at the chancel gates and also at either side of the altar, while flame-colored gladiolas and blossoms of the trumpet-creeper furnished brilliant bits of color.
The reception was held on the beautiful lawn at the home of Captain and Mrs. Ayres, and the bridal party received the guests under a canopy tent festooned with green vines and blossoms. The grounds were lighted brilliantly with Chines lanterns; numberless candles twinkled from every bush and shrub, and added to this the bright moonlight made the scene fairy-like.
The bride wore an Empire gown of heavy ivory satin with garnitures of exquisite lace and a stole of rare Eastern embroidery in gold. The bridesmaids wore Empire frocks of batiste and insertion over pale yellow slips, with flower-trimmed bonnets of the same quaint style, and carrying noes-gays of old fashioned garden flowers. Miss Emma Lee was the maid of honor and Mr. Fulton Hall of Philadelphia the best man. The bridemaids were Miss Ethel Lidgerwood, Miss Katherine Gerry, Miss Mary Corbett and Miss Kitty Lee. The ushers. –Messrs. William E. Carnochan, Roy Lee, Robert Corbett and Edgar Lee, all of New York.
The supper was served by the Guild of St. Paul’s church of which Miss Lee was one of the original members. Her wish to return to her childhood’s home and to be married among her old friends was a touching tribute to her love for them which cannot fail of deep appreciation.
I was thrilled to read the "wedding at St. Paul's." Miss Bessie Pomeroy
Lee is my Grandmother. The wedding dress has been worn twice since
1900, by my Mother in 1938 and again by me in 1975. My Mother is the
adopted daughter of Bessie Pomeroy Lee and Arthur Wentworth Hall.
Thank you for your work.
At left, Bessie Lee (lowest on stairs) with Emma and Kate Lee at time of Bessie's 1900 marriage
Below, Bessie's dress worn by daughter Amy in 1938 and grand daughter Joyce in 1975.
Joyce STILES with parents Hallett Holton STILES
and Amy HALL "Stiles" 12 July 1975 Mystic CT
|Bessie Pomeroy LEE "Hall" and daughter Amy Jamieson HALL
29 December 1938
Troy Girl’s Romance: Weds the Man Who Saved Her Life in Watkins Glen
Marriage Vows Unite Them
Miss Mabel T. Gray of Troy, Becomes Bride of Melvin L. Wooster of Elmira
– Wedding is the Culmination of a Pretty Romance Cupid, the God of Love
and Fate, the maker of destinies have played another game, and as a sequel
a quiet wedding was solemnized on Saturday evening, March 30, at the home
of Mrs. Evangeline Gray, on Canton street, in Troy, when her eldest daughter,
Mabel T., was united in marriage to Melvin T. Wooster of Elmira, in the
presence of the immediate families of the contracting parties, the Rev.
E. P. Morse officiating. fter the ceremony an excellent wedding dinner
was served by Miss Jennie Nelson, the popular cateress.
Courtship Tinged with Romance
The marriage was the happy culmination of a pretty little romance that dates back a few years when the parties were taking a trip through Watkins Glen one warm sunny day in October, little dreaming what the day would bring forth. While strolling along one of the narrow paths that skirt the edge of the many deep pools of that locality, Miss Mabel, in some unaccountable way, lost her footing, slipped under the guard rail and suddenly found herself submerged in water some eight or ten feet deep. Here was a situation to try the nerve of the most courageous. Her companion, however, proved himself equal to the occasion. As soon as he became aware of what had happened and realizing the necessity for prompt action, he planted himself as firmly as possible on an overhanging rock, reaching out a strong arm, to the drowning girl, as she rose to the surface which she caught with a death grasp, at equal risk to himself he succeeded in bringing her to the shore in safety. It is needless to say the trip through the Glen was postponed for that day, and returning to the hotel, a few articles of clothing kindly loaned by the inmates enabled her to make herself presentable enough to take the first train for Elmira, where she reached the home of her friends there in a much dilapidated condition. The sequel is soon told – the young man, it seems, had long cherished a secret admiration for his companion, which this incident only served to strengthen. While with her the “hero of the Glen” had found a place in her heart, which all arguments from her many future admirers failed to dislodge and thus the affair has terminated after the most approved style of the modern romance. The bridegroom is a young man of sterling worth, a trusted employee of the railroad company for years, while the bride is one of Troy’s most estimable young ladies, whose rare qualities of head and heart have endeared her to a large circle of friends. A graduate of Troy High school and later of the Mansfield Normal, she has been a teacher in the Troy graded school, also the graded schools of DuBois, Pa. The bride was the recipient of many beautiful and useful gifts from admiring friends by whom she will be greatly missed, as she leaves soon for her new home in Elmira, where she will be at home to her friends at No 44 ½ West Second street, after May 15.
Miss Ruth Maag, daughter of Edward J. Maag, East St. Louis and the late Mrs. Maag and J. Merton Greenough, son of Mr. and Mrs. Willis B. Greenough, Troy, were married at 12:30 Friday noon, August 9th, 1940, in the Church of the Epiphany, Washington, D.C. by the Rev. Duncan Fraser. They were unattended, just the immediate families witnessing the ceremony. Mrs. Greenough was Secretary at Parks Aviation College, East St. Louis. Mr. Greenough is a graduate of Troy High School, 1935, attended Albright College, Reading, and graduated from the Parks College of Aviation at East St. Louis, and is now employed by the American Air Lines, New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Greenough will reside at 160-09 Sanford Avenue, Flushing, L.I.
Miss Edna Reynolds, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Reynolds, and Maurice Wooster, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Wooster, Canton, were married Saturday evening, August 24, 1940, in the Methodist Parsonage, Wellsboro. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Carrozza, Canton. The bride was in black and white crepe and wore a corsage of white roses. The groom is employed by the Swayze Folding Box Company and is a graduate of Canton High School. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School, class of 1936, and is employed by the J. H. McClelland store. They will be at home about Sept. 15th in Canton.
JOHN H. MORSE, JR. TO WED SEPT. 29TH
Announcement has bee made of the forthcoming marriage on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 29th, 1940, of John Hamilton Morse, Jr. son of John Hamilton and Pauline Lilley Morse, Des Plains, Ill to Miss Shirley Katherine Click, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Click, also of Des Plains. The marriage will take place in the Methodist Church, Des Plains. The groom-to-be is a grandson of the Rev. Edward P. Morse, for many years beloved Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church here, and the late Mrs. Morse, the late Hon. Mial E. Lilley and Mrs. Lilley, Towanda. He is employed in a Chicago photographic shop.
Troy, Aug. 4—Miss Louise E. Bailey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Bailey of Granville Center and Robert P. Williams of Blakely, were married Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Bailey home. Miss Louise Baxter, Mansfield was maid of honor and Fred Snyder, Troy, best man. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. H. T. Punchard of Troy.
SMITH - SCURLOCK - Troy Girl Weds Washington Physician.. At the attractive home of Mr. And Mrs. James B. Smith in Centre street, at 6 o'clock last evening, took place the wedding of their only daughter, Miss Mabel Irene Smith, to Dr. Herbert Clay Scurlock of Washington, D.C., the bride's rector, the Rev. Robert Eurl Roe of St Paul's Episcopal church, officiating in the presence of a small company of relatives and near friends. The effective floral decorations were principally golden rod with setting of ferns. The bride was richly gowned in crepe de chine with point de Venese trimmings, and carried brides roses. She was attended by Miss Agnes Merriwether of Washington, in white, carrying golden rod. Mr. Anderson N. Scurlock of Washington, the bridegroom's brother, was best man. The Mendelssohn Wedding March was played by the bride's brother, Mr. J. Vogelsang Smith, one of this year's draduates and gold medal winners from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. Following the ceremony, one of Jenny Nelson's finest wedding suppers was served by the Misses Foote, near neighbors and associates in the choir and guild of St Paul's, of the bride who is one of Troy's most cultured young women. The bridegroom ia a practicing physician of Washington and professor of chemistry and physics in Howard University. The bride received numerous handsome gifts of cut glass, linen and silver. Her going away gown was of brown Panama with hat to match. Dr. And Mrs. Scurlock left on the 8:53 train north in a shower of confetti and well wishes for Saratoga Springs, Whence they are to go by boat down the Hudson to New York. They will be at home in Washington after Oct. 6th, at 531 Florida Ave.; N. W.. A novelty of the wedding was the serving of one course of the supper on a very beautiful set of willow ware dishes that have been in the bride's family since they were brought over from England more than a hundred years ago in the time of Governor Oglethorpe of Maryland. In attendance at the wedding from out of town, besides those mentioned, were Mrs. Charity Tucker of Baltimore, Md.; Mr. Charles Lomack of New York, and Mr. And Mrs. A. W. Peterson of Mansfield.
MISS VAN DYNE BRIDE OF MR. SKINNER
Church Filled for Pretty Ceremony
In a very pretty and stylish wedding Miss Mary Nearing Van Dyne, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bowers Van Dyne, became the bride of Mr. Osmun Skinner, son of Dr. Wilson Skinner, Easton, Pa., in the Presbyterian Church at 4 p.m. last Saturday, June 22, 1940. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Edward P. Morse, Pastor Emeritus, assisted by Rev. Philip Wolcott Furst, Pastor of the Church. The church was decorated by the Riverside Flowers Inc., Elmira, the marriage taking place on the rostrum of the church, which was covered with white, and ramps leading to and from the aisles were banked with Woodwardia ferns and Easter lilies, illuminated by candelabras. The bride, given in marriage by her father, was dressed in a white tulle, full skirted dress, with lace bodice, a halo of lace with finger tip veil and carried a bouquet of white orchids, lilies of the valley, tied with a formal satin bow. The Maid of Honor was Miss Louise Parsons, Troy, gowned in pale yellow marquisette with lace inserts in the bodice, a large hat to match. She carried delphinium, snap dragons, roses and baby’s breath. The Bridesmaids, all cousins of the bride, were Miss Ruth Mills, Fall River, Mass. And Mrs. Edward Anewalt, West Lawn, Penna., in fuscia pink dresses and transparent hats to match; Mrs. Richard Borden, New York City and Mrs. Thor A. Lundgren, Caldwell, N. J. in aqua marine dresses with hats to match, all carrying bouquets of delphinium, snap dragons, roses and baby’s breath. Mrs. Henry B. Van Dyne, mother of the bride, was dressed in blue crepe de chine with lace bodice, blue straw hat with flowers and a corsage of Briarcliff and delphinium. The groomsman was Dr. Robert Gordon Skinner, Easton, Penna., and the Ushers were Mr. Myles Lane, New York City; Dr. William Skinner, Easton, Pa.; Mr. Lawrence Lougee, New York City; Mr. Jeremiah P. Pitts, Riverside, Conn.; Mr. Kenneth B. Anderson, Tuckahoe, N.Y. The head usher was Mr. Edward E. Van Dyne, Brooklyn, N.Y., brother of the bride.
With Mrs. Wilson Weigester at the console, the musical interlude before the ceremony, included “Andante” 5th symphony Tschaikowsky: “Oh Fair, Sweet and Holy” Cantor; “Beloved, It is Morn” Aylard; “Walter’s Prize Song” Wagner; Medley of Dartmouth Sons, “Introduction and Bridal Chorus, Lohengrin and Wedding March from Midsummer Night’s Dream” Mendelssohn. Following the ceremony, “Men of Dartmouth,” “Dear Old Dartmouth,” “Dartmouth Undying” were played on the Tower of Chimes. A reception in the church parlors followed the wedding. Receiving in front of a bank of Woodwardia ferns were Mr. and Mrs. Henry B. Van Dyne, Dr. Wilson M. Skinner, the bride and bridegroom, the best man, Dr. Robert Gordon Skinner, the maid of honor Miss Louise Parsons. Music was by Carl Sacks Trio, Binghamton, N.Y. A wedding supper took place at seven o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, for the bridal party and families of the bride and groom. Music by Carl Sacks Trio. Mr. and Mrs. Skinner left shortly after for a wedding trip by motor through Canada and New England and will be at home after August 1st at 250 Carbrini Blvd., New York City. The bride’s going away gown was a navy blue chiffon suit, with white collar and cuffs, blue and white accessories, off the face Navy Blue straw hat.Mrs. Skinner is a graduate of the Madeira School, Fairfax, Va. (rest of article is missing – handwritten on article 1940)
|Anna Washburn Tidd and Dr. Mahlon Blakeslee Ballard [of Troy, PA] were married by Rev. Thomas K Beecher on Sept. 12, 1895 at the home of the bride's parents, Charles and Clarinda Kingsbury Tidd of Elmira. [Lengthy article will be sent later by Linda Smith who submitted the photos.]
|Helen Tidd Ballard and Clarence Eugene Huntley were married on May 12, 1923, at the home of the bride's parents in Troy, PA. She was the daughter of Dr. Mahlon Blakeslee Ballard and his wife Anna Washburn Tidd.
Mr., Mrs. Roy Nash to Be Feted at Open House
Towanda Daily Review, December 10, 1971
Suzanne Davis, Editor
A reception will be held to honor the golden wedding anniversary of
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Nash of Troy. The affair will be hosted by their
daughters and the American Legion Auxiliary, Sunday, Dec. 26, from 2 to
5 p.m. at the American Legion Home, Redington Ave., Troy.
Bernice SWEENY- Roy NASH
(SRGP 11167 & 11050)
Miss Eloise Bruce, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Bruce and Kenneth E. Gernert, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Gernert, will be united in marriage in the Canton Street home of the bride at 8 o’clock this Thursday evening, June 23, by Rev. Elroy Van Dyke, Elmira, cousin of the groom, in the presence of the immediate families. A reception to about 50 guests will follow at the home of the bride’s grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. N. C. Smith, Elmira Street. Miss Bruce was a member of this year’s class, Troy High School, and Mr. Gernert a member of the class of 1934. Mr. Gernert is employed by Edwin Pomeroy. After a trip to the summer home of the bride’s uncle, W. B. Bruce, Chaffey’s Locks, Lake Opinicon, Ontario, Canada, Mr. and Mrs. Gernert will reside in Troy Township. Both bride and groom have the best wishes of many friends in the community.
ARCH OF LAUREL ATTRACTS MANY TO BRUCE HOME
Many callers were guests at the Roy Bruce home the day following the Bruce-Gernert marriage to view the lovely arch, wherein the bridal party stood through the ceremony and congratulations. The oval arch reached nearly to the ceiling and the pillars to the floor were complete covered with the flower of the mountain laurel, the flowers so closely arranged that the arch had the appearance of sculptured marble or a beautiful piece of architecture. Truly, an artistic setting, with a background of green foliage, and great clusters of red roses at the base of the columns. The outline was perfect—and credit for the design is due to Mrs. Frank Vineski, their neighbor who worked a full day to make it complete.
Mr. and Mrs. Earl Jefferson, Sheffield, Penna., announce the marriage of their daughter, Elizabeth Carolyne, to J. Edward Brenchley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace B. Brenchley, Canton, Penna. Mrs. Brenchley is a graduate of Sheffield High School and of Hoff’s Business College, Warren, Pennsylvania. For the last few years she has been employed in the law office of David J. Fanning here. Mr. Brenchley is a graduate of Troy High School, and resided in Troy until two years ago. The young couple expect to make their home with Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Brenchley, RD 1, Canton, Penna.
Miss Eleanor Strong, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Strong, Columbia Cross Roads, and Clyde Anthony, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Anthony, Milan, were married Saturday, April 22, at 8 p.m. by Rev. Paul Brown at the Methodist Parsonage, Troy. The bride was attired in black and white with matching accessories. She wore a corsage of white gardenias. Miss Edna Reynolds, Troy, her only attendant, wore a dress of powder blue with navy blue accessories. Her corsage was of Talisman roses and sweet peas. John Shore, Greens Landing was best man. Following a reception at the home of the bride’s parents, the couple left for a short trip. The bride was guest of honor at a shower previous to her marriage, given by Mrs. Raymond Bradley and Mrs. Ray Haven, Columbia Cross Roads.
LYNN THOMAS AND DOROTHA DUNBAR OF TROY TWP. MARRIED
Lynn Thomas, son of the late C. H. Thomas and Dorotha Harriet Dunbar, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Dunbar, both of Troy Township, were united in marriage by Justice V. L. Grenell in his office in Towanda, Friday, Jan. 28. Their attendants were the groom’s brother and wife, Mr. and Mrs. William Thomas. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School. They will reside on their farm near Troy.
Troy—James E. Corey, a former Trojan, who is an engineer with the Firestone Rubber Co., at Monrovia, Liberia, will read these lines about a month from now. In a letter to his friend, Merrit Smith, he told of receiving his Star-Gazettes from Elmira and although the news may be a little stale after a long sea voyage he enjoys every word about home. The many Trojans, who have seen his moving pictures of his pets in Sumatra, where he lived for three years, will be interested to know that he has a new pet. In Sumatra he played with cobras, but now he has a leopard he trained himself. The leopard rides with him in his car, comes to his whistle and behaves like a dog. Of interest also is the news of his marriage to a nurse employed by the company in Liberia. The nuptials took place the last of January, Mr. Corey is the son of Mrs. Samuel Canedy and a graduate of Troy High School and Syracuse University.
MISS SLINGERLAND MARRIED TO DR. KING
Miss Marjorie Mae Slingerland, daughter of Mrs. Bess Slingerland, Troy and Dr. William D. King, son of Mrs. Roy Lennon, San Francisco, Calif., were married Saturday July 2, in St. Anne’s Episcopal Church, Philadelphia. Miss Florence Slingerland, Troy, sister of the bride, was maid of honor and Mr. Edward Mass, New York City, was groomsman. A luncheon was served at The Warwick following the ceremony. Guests were the immediate families. Dr. and Mrs. King will be at home at 306 Riverway, Boston, Mass. Mrs. Bess Slingerland, Miss Florence Slingerland, Robert Slingerland and Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Redington motored from Troy for the wedding.
Miss Florence Bishop, daughter of Mrs. Samuel Wood Bishop, Pittsburgh, and Dr. Karl Zimmerman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mason Stewart Zimmerman, also of Pittsburgh, were married last Friday, June 3d, at 11:00 a.m. in the parlors of the First Presbyterian Church here. The bride is a sister of Mrs. Montague White. Mr. White performed the ceremony, assisted by his father, Rev. Henry White, Elmira. The parlors were beautifully decorated by Mrs. Annie P. Holcombe with flowers from her gardens. Dr. Zimmerman is a Pittsburgh surgeon and they will live there after returning from a honeymoon to California where Dr. Zimmerman will attend the meeting of the American Medical Association. A wedding breakfast was served by Rev. and Mrs. White in the Presbyterian manse, the guests including the bride and groom, his parents, her mother, Rev. and Mrs. Henry White, Elmira, Dr. McGee, Mr. Dougherty, Pittsburgh.
Miss Naomi Mary Allen, daughter of Manford Allen, Troy, Pennsylvania, and Mr. Samuel I. Skidmore, Caldwell, New Jersey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carmon Skidmore, Wilmington, Delaware, were married at 8:30 Friday evening, June 3, at St. Peters Episcopal Church, Essex Falls, N.J. by the Rev. Harold Ouderdonk.
Troy, June 28—the dictionary says that a “shivaree” is a “word derived
from the Latin meaning a noisy gathering with grotesque costumes and discordant
instruments of music, restricted to the reception of a bride and groom
on their home coming” but down here in the hills we call it a “horning
bee” and the one given to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Parsons, newlyweds, Monday
night was the largest ever seen in this community.
No less than sixty-one cars met at 8:30 and proceeded quietly through town to the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. F. VonBuseck where Mr. and Mrs. Parsons were dining. Then amid the tooting of horns and lots of fireworks, the couple were escorted to an old-fashioned surrey drawn by a big gray team driven by Lynn Reynolds, Liston Alexander acting as coachman, wearing a high hat and livery and taken “for a ride” around Troy, followed by the now not quiet 61 cars, horns tooting, whistles blowing, firecrackers adding to the noise. After the parade, all went to O. W. Rockwell’s barn where the couple were remarried by Gerald Vickery and “Oscar”, Columbia Cross Roads “Charlie McCarthy.” The ceremony was followed by an old-fashioned square dance for all, the music being furnished by Grant Palmer’s orchestra. The parade marshals were F. L. Ballard and Lawrence VanDeusen; conveyance chairman, Liston Alexander; noise chairman, Raymond Morris; red torch chairman, Henry Case; finance manager, R. H. VanKeuren.
ENGAGEMENT OF MISS BESLEY AND MR. HILLYER ANNOUNCED
Mrs. Grace Greenough has announced the engagement of her daughter, Miss Catherine G. Besley, to Mr. Robert M. Hillyer. Miss Besley is a graduate of Troy High School. Mr. Hillyer is the popular proprietor of the Brookside Service Station.
MISS BESLEY BECOMES BRIDE IN PRETTY CEREMONY
Before a mantle, beautifully decorated with garden flowers and softly illuminated by candles, Miss Katherine Grace Besley, daughter of Mrs. C. L. Greenough, became the bride last Sunday evening, June 26th, of Robert M. Hillyer, son of Mrs. T. A. Hillyer, Fort Thomas, Ky., in the Greenough home on East Main Street. The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. Montague White, of the First Presbyterian Church at 8 p.m. The bride was lovely in a gown of pink chiffon and chose a Colonial bouquet of Sweetheart roses, forget-me-nots and lilies of the valley. They were unattended. Following a wedding dinner, they left for a honeymoon through Northern New York and parts of Canada.
The table was decorated with a two-tier wedding cake, a miniature bride and groom underneath a small arch gracing the top. The cake was surrounded with pink roses, white lilies and asparagus fern. Covers for twelve were laid, forget-me-not hand painted china, the gift to the bride under the will of her grandmother, the late Hiza Besley, being used. Two huge white wedding bells were suspended from the chandelier. Mrs. Hillyer’s going-away gown was of navy blue triple sheer.
Guests included Mrs. T. A. Hillyer, Fort Thomas, Ky., Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hillyer, Williamsport, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Besley, Columbia Cross Roads, C. R. Liggett, Alba.
The bride is a graduate of Troy High School, class of 1931.
Mr. Hillyer is the owner of the Brookside Service Station, lower Elmira Street. We understand that they will occupy the house that Dr. Boyer is remodeling on South Canton Street. Bride and groom have a very wide circle of friends, who wish them many years of married happiness.
JACK BLOOM WILL WEDD MISS ISBELL, JAMESTOWN, N.Y.
Engagement Announced Last Saturday Wedding In June
The society page of last Saturday’s “Evening News” Jamestown, N.Y.,carried a picture of Miss Mary Frances Isbell, in connection with the following announcement of her betrothal to John Earl Bloom: Mr. and Mrs. Dennis F. Howe of Lakewood, announce the engagement of their youngest daughter, Miss Mary Frances Isbell to John Earl Bloom of this city, son of Mrs. Mary Clark Bloom and the late Earl Mitchell Bloom of Troy, Pa. the wedding will take place in June. Miss Isbell is assistant to her mother as director of the Homemaker’s Club in the Fenton Building. She was graduated from Lakewood High School in 1934, and studied at the University of Buffalo Training School for Nurses. Mr. Bloom is a graduate of Union College, Schenectady, N.Y, class of 1937, and the Carson-Long Military Academy. He is a member of the Delta Phi fraternity, and associated here with B. F. Goodrich Company.
Mr. and Mrs. Howe are entertaining about 35 guests this evening honoring the betrothal, at their home in Lakewood. Among those from out-of-town will be Mrs. Mary Clark Bloom of Troy, Pa. and Paul Humphrey of Schenectady, who have been house-guests for several days; Dr. and Mrs. Arthur F. Glaeser and Kenneth Brown of Buffalo.
MISS KRESGE AND MR. PARSONS TO BE MARRIED JUNE 8TH
Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Kresge, Belleville, N.J. have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Evelyn Kresge, to Mr. John L. Parsons, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas W. Parsons. The wedding with the immediate families attending will take place in the Methodist church, Chatham, N.J. on Wednesday, June 8th. The bride-to-be was graduated from the Music Supervisors course of Mansfield State Teachers college with the class of 1937 and is music supervisor of the Troy schools. She is a talented musician. Mr. Parsons attended Purdue and Lehigh Universities and is an officer of the Troy Engine & Machine Company.
Mrs. Ethel B. Canedy and O. W. Jaquish were married in Syracuse, N.Y., Monday, April 19, by David M. Bunville, pastor of a Methodist church there. They were guest last week of Mr. and Mrs. Thor Lundgren (nee Mable Van Dyne) Caldwell, N.J., returning to Troy last Saturday. Mr. and Mrs. Jaquish are at home in the Canton Street residence of the groom. (handwritten on article 1937)
MISS WILBUR BRIDE OF MR. THEODORE CALKINS
Miss Pauline May Wilbur, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wilbur, West Burlington and Theodore W. Calkins, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Weller Calkins, East Troy, were quietly married Saturday, August 28, at 4 p.m. at the home of the groom’s parents. The immediate families witnessed the ceremony. Miss Mildred Wilbur, sister of the bride, was bridesmaid and Mr. Seymour Barrett, Corning, N.Y. was best man.
The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Owen Barrett of the M. E. church, Blossburg, on the lawn in front of an arch of roses, summer flowers and gladioli. The bride wore a gown of white silk chiffon over white taffeta, redingote style with shoulder veil. She carried a bouquet of Talisman rose buds and baby’s breath. The bridesmaid wore pink silk chiffon over pink taffeta, princess style, with shoulder veil, and carried a bouquet f Sunburst rosebuds and baby’s breath. An informal reception followed the ceremony. A buffet luncheon was served.
The bride was a graduate of Troy High School in 1933, and the groom graduated at Troy High School in 1931. Both are popular young people in their vicinity. Mr. and Mrs. Calkins left for a trip to Niagara Falls and Canada. They will make their home in East Troy when they return. (handwritten on article 1937)
MISS BOHLAYER AND MR. LOOMIS MARRIED LAST SATURDAY
Miss Dorothy M. Bohlayer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Ernest Bohlayer and Mr. Arthur E. Loomis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Reid Loomis, East Troy, were married at noon last Saturday, June 19th, in the pleasant home of the bride’s parents, Farmer’s Valley. Rev. Floyd Guiles, East Troy, officiated. The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, was charming in a gown of white lace over white satin. She carried a stunning bouquet of flowers, picked from the garden of her future home, the former S. H. Spalding place. Her bridesmaid was Miss Florence Loomis, sister of the groom, who wore pink chiffon over pink satin. She carried delphiniums. The groomsman was Mr. John Bohlayer, brother of the bride. A delicious luncheon was served, the decorations being pink peonies and American Beauty roses. The bride and groom left in the afternoon on a motor honeymoon, which will include Niagara Falls, Canada and the Thousand Islands. They will be at home to their friends after July 1 st. The bride is a graduate of Mansfield State Teachers College and taught last year in the local schools. The groom is Secretary and Treasurer of F. P. Case & Sons, Inc. (handwritten on article 1937)
MISS WILLIAMS AND MR. SOPER WED LAST SATURDAY
Miss Beatrice Williams, Towanda and Mr. Rexford Soper, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Soper, Sylvania, were married at ten last Saturday morning in the living room of their future home on West Main Street. The simple and impressive ceremony was performed by the groom’s pastor, Montague White, of the First Presbyterian Church. The bride was attended by Miss Beula Vought, Towanda, and the groomsman was Mahlon Wenck, also of Towanda. A dress of beige with bolero jacket, London tan gloves, beige straw picture hat with London tan crown, beige and tan slippers was the ensemble chosen by the bride, who wore a corsage of Talisman roses. Miss Vought wore an ensemble of blue and carried pink roses. Mr. and Mrs. Soper are graduates of Mansfield State Teachers College. Mrs. Soper took graduate work at Columbia and last year taught English in the Ulster High School. Mr. Soper taught in Orwell and Wyalusing High Schools and completed a mortician’s course in Syracuse. He is associated with the firm of Soper & Mosher. The newly-weds left at once for a honeymoon in New York City and Canada. They have the best wishes of a host of friends in the Troy Community and elsewhere. (handwritten on article 1937)
MISS PALMER AND MR. HALL MARRIED IN PRETTY HOME WEDDING
At two o’clock last Monday afternoon August 23d, Miss Alice Louise Palmer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Grant Palmer, and Mr. James M. Hall, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hall, Columbia Cross Roads, were united in marriage by Rev. Paul M. Brown, of the M. E. Church, in one of the prettiest home weddings of the season. The bride was charming in a white chiffon gown with veil. She chose white roses and Maiden Hair fern for her bouquet. The maid-of-honor, Miss Charlotte Palmer, aunt of the bride, wore peach colored net and a leghorn hat. She carried dahlias and ferns. Robert Hall was groomsman. The vows were taken in the living room beneath an arch of evergreen and golden glow in the presence of the immediate families. The house was beautifully trimmed with dahlias and gladioli. Miss Shirley Palmer sang “Love is the Sweetest Thing” and Miss Louise Robbins, Columbia Cross Roads, played as the couple took their places beneath the arch.
The bride is a 1936 graduate of Troy High School and the groom was graduated in 1935. Following a reception in the home, they left on a honeymoon to Niagara Falls and Canadian points. The newly-weds, who have many friends in this section, will live on the Hall farm, near Columbia Cross Roads, where he is associated with his father in farming. Among Troy people, who attended the wedding last Thursday in the Methodist Church, Athens, of Miss Dorothy Rogers and Mr. Sidney Cooper, Ulster were: Mr. and Mrs. jerry Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. H. Lamar Holcombe and daughter, Mary, Rev. and Mrs. Paul M. Brown, Mrs. Willis Flick, Miss Geraldine Flick, Miss Inez Rockwell, Miss Alta Newell, Miss Irene Van Noy, Mrs. George F. Case, Mrs. Lynn Slingerland, Mrs. J. H. McClelland, Miss Janet Greenough, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Rexford, John DeWitt, Miss Agnese Larrison, William Morris and others. (handwritten on article 1937)
Miss Geraldine Smith, daughter of Mrs. Myrtle Smith, and Willis Edward Batterson were married this Thursday morning by the Rev. J. H. Carter in the Baptist parsonage. Following a short wedding trip they will reside at 525 Elmira Street. The young people have the best wishes of a host of friends. (handwritten on article 1937)
The marriage of Mrs. Trevania Dallas Blair-Smith, widow of Hugh Blair-Smith, former treasurer of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company to Daniel E. Pomeroy of Englewood, N.J., leader in Republican politics and retired banker, took place yesterday afternoon in the bride’s home at 25 Fifth Avenue. The Rev. Carl Hopkins Elmore, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Englewood, performed the ceremony. The bride was escorted by her son, Dallas Blair-Smith. She dispensed with attendants. Mr. Pomeroy had Charles W. Hulst, of Englewood, for his best man. Mr. Pomeroy and his bride will go on an extended wedding trip until the spring and then will make their home in Englewood. Mrs. Pomeroy is the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Trevanion Dallas of Nashville, Tenn. She has another son, Robert Blair-Smith. Mr. Pomeroy is a director and former vice president of the Bankers Trust Company of New York, a trustee of the American Museum of Natural History, chairman of the committee of the Akeley Memorial Hall of African Mammals and vice president of the Hayden Planetarium Corporation. He is a member of the New Jersey State Republican Committee and of the National committee. This is Mr. Pomeroy’s second marriage. His first wife, the former Miss Frances Morse of Troy, Pa., died several years ago. (handwritten on article 1937)
Mr. Ross Williams, foreman in the plant of the Troy Engine & Machine Company, and Miss Sarah Thomas, Rochester, were married in Rochester late Saturday, November 28th, and are at home to their friends in the home of the groom on Redington Avenue. The bride and groom have many friends and relatives in this section. We extend congratulations and wish them a long and happy married life. (handwritten on article 1936)
Miss Gladys Agnes, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Spaulding, of Mainesburg, and Claude Charley Palmer, of Sullivan, were married Oct. 8, by Rev. N. Johnstone, at the Baptist parsonage in Troy. [Wellsboro agitator 19 OCT 1921]
March 28, 1906; Troy, PA [hand written on article] [From Gray-Strange scrabppks in Joyce's Museum]
A surprise awaited the ninety or more worshipers at the weekly prayer meeting of the Baptist church Wednesday evening. Following the benediction by the Rev. Hughes, the Rev. Samuel Earley, pastor of the Columbia-Wells Baptist church, stepped forward with Mrs. Letta R. Gray, of Elmira street, and the two were made husband and wife. The surprise was not quite complete, for from the back of the room at the conclusion of the ceremony came a shower of rice upon the wedding party. Mr. Earley was formerly pastor of the Baptist church at Mansfield. He was at Elyria, Ohio, for a number of years prior to his return to Pennsylvania last summer. Mrs. Earley came to Troy to reside soon after the death of her husband, Lafayette Gray, in Sullivan, three or four years ago. She is a sister of H.L. Rockwell, of Columbia, and has many warm friends here and in Tioga county. - Troy Gazette-Register
Allen Wayne Bright, son of D (Daniel) H Bright, of Alba, Marie Geneva
Gordon, daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Gordon of Columbia, South Carolina,
were united in marriage at the home of the bride's sister (Mr and Mrs Sidney
Maidox) in Williamsport, on December 22 by the Rev J J Ficklin.
Tthe bride is a graduate of Columbia high school and Benedict College, and has taught in the public schools of Columbia. For the past year she has been employed in Brosman's store in Williamsport. The groom is a graduate of Canton High School, and is associated with his father in farming. Mr and Mrs Bright will be at home after April 1 at Alba.
Miss Virginia Kelly, Troy, and Lewis Bahr, Sylvania, were married Saturday evening May 8, by Rev. J. C. Figart, Alba, at his home. They were attended by Miss Cynthia Bahr, sister of the groom, and Adolph Schlappi, both of Mansfield. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School class of 1935. Mr. and Mrs. Bahr will make their home for the present with the groom’s mother, Mrs. Bertha Bahr, Sylvania. (handwritten on article 1937)
Siegal O. Holcomb of Canton, and Fannie J. Rolison of Troy, were united in marriage on Thursday, March 25 at the home of the groom in Canton at 4 p.m., by Justice of the Peace, Rancy K. Morse of LeRoy. Following the ceremony a delicious wedding supper was served to the following guests: Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Shook and Mr. and Mrs. A. K. Sambrook of Troy; Mr. and Mrs. R. K. Morse of LeRoy and Mrs. Della Anderson of West Frankin.Mr. and Mrs. Holcomb will reside at the residence of the former on Troy Street, Canton. (handwritten on article 1936)
Miss Laurie A. Bogart Bride of Dale Robbins Jr.
Miss Laurie Ann Bogart, daughter of Mrs. Janet E. Well, Ralston and John E. Bogart, Bushkill became the bride of Dale Robbins, Jr., son of Mrs. Dale Robbins, Sr., Canton, on October 22, 1988 at Canton Ecumenical Parish, with Rev. Richard Barner officiating. The bride given in marriage by her father, choose a white satin gown, styled with a sweetheart neckline, short puffed sleeves, basque waist, full skirt detailed with ruffles and bows edged w with lace that extended into a chapel length train. She wore a wreath headpiece, trimmed with pearls and baby’s breath and carried a bouquet of silk roses and daisies with sprays of baby’s breath. Bridesmaids included: Lisa Arborgast, Holly Barner, and Amy Buchanan, all of Canton. Tom Weldon, Philadelphia, served as best man. John Geneski, Philadelphia; Rick Bishop, and Craig Seeley, Canton ushered the guests. A wedding reception at Canton Fireman’s Hall followed the ceremony. Mrs. Robbins is a 1988 graduate of Canton High School and is presently a nursing student at Mansfield University. Mr. Robbins is a 1986 graduate of Canton High School and is employed by Ward Township.
Miss Diane Calkins is bride of Gerald Brown in Canton Ceremonies
Miss Diane Calkins became the bride of Gerald Brown in the First Presbyterian Church, Canton, May 30. Rev. H. C. Humke performed the double ring ceremony. Miss Judy McCoy was organist and accompanist for the soloist, Miss Jean Merrill. Church decorations included a large basket of white gladioli flanked by lighted candelabra against a background of frosted laurel leaves. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John E. Calkins of 5 West Union St., Canton. Mr. Brown is the son of Mrs. Marguerite Brown of East Union St. Given in marriage by her father the bride was attired in a gown of Alencon lace over white satin styled with torso bodice having a bateau neckline embroidered with pearls and sequins. The long tapered sleeves were edged in the same way. The bouffant floor-length skirt featured small pleats at the waist line. Her fingertip illusion veil was held by a crown of orange blossoms and sequins. She carried white orchids, daisies and baby’s breath resting on a lace and pearl covered Bible. Miss Elaine Ridall was maid of honor. Miss Bonnie Loveless of Alpine, NY, the bride’s cousin, was junior bridesmaid. Miss Sandi Williams of Canton and Mrs. Robert Volgraf of Elmira were bridesmaids. All word street length lace gowns duplicating the style of the bride’s, the first in pastel yellow, the two latter pale blue. All wore matching lace hats and carried garland arm bouquets of red roses, blue daisies, baby’s breath and lace roses matching their gowns. Dale Mix was best man. Richard Calkins, Glenford Vermilya and Raymond Mix ushered. A reception of 175 quests was held at the Moose Home following the ceremony. For travel, the bride wore a black suit with white accessories and a white orchid corsage. Upon their return from Niagara Falls and Canada Mr. and Mrs. Brown will live in Binghamton. Both are graduates of Canton High School. Mrs. Brown has been employed in the office of Bellows-Valvair, Canton. Mr. Brown served two years in the U. S. Army and is employed in the office of Neptune Trucking, Binghamton.
Miss Kay Ayres and R. E. Porter Wed
Double Ring Ceremony In Methodist Church
The wedding of Miss Kathryn Claire Ayres, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O. Lanier Ayres, 12 Brann Street, and Richard Earl Porter, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rozell Porter, 93 West Union St., Canton, was performed on April 20 at 2:00 pm. The Rev. Donald Rahtjen, pastor, performed the double ring ceremony before the altar in the Canton Methodist Church. White gladioli decorated the altar. Miss Judith McCoy was organist and accompanied Miss Bonnie Shadduck, soloist, who sang, O Promise Me, I Love You Truly and The Wedding Prayer. Given in marriage by her father, the bride was lovely in a princess type gown of white satin fashioned with a V-neckline. The gown was made by the bride’s grandmother, Mrs. Mark Ayres. A Crown of braided white satin held her veil of silk illusion. She wore a pearl necklace, a gift of the groom. She carried a bouquet of gardenias, white daisies, baby’s breath, Baker’s fern, formed in a Hogarth line with a bird’s nest and green feathered bird in the center. Miss Annette Ayres was maid of honor and Miss Connie Ayres was bridesmaid for their sister. They wore gowns of Blue lace and carried a similar bouquet to the bride but of pink roses. Miss Amy Porter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilford Porter and niece of the groom was flower girl. She carried a garland basket of flowers and a bird in a nest. Master Barry Allen, nephew of the groom, was ring bearer. Robert Porter was best man for his brother. Ushers were Robert Cummings and Larry Porter. The bride’s mother wore a beige lace dress with brown accessories and a corsage of Cymbidium orchids. Mrs. Rozell Porter wore a light green eyelet sheath over white with bone accessories and an orchid corsage. A reception was held in the church social rooms immediately following the wedding. The bride wore a blue wool knit suit with beige accessories when the couple left for a wedding trip. They will reside at 134 N. Center Street, Canton. Mrs. Porter is a graduate of Canton High School, Class of 1961 and is employed by the Eureka Specialty Company, Troy. The groom, a 1959 graduate, is employed at Porter’s Western Auto Store.