This page is part of
Genealogy Sites by Joyce
No Unauthorized Commercial Use May Be Made of This Material
Typed for Tri-County Site by Wilma JOHNS Sakowsky
Clayton, W. Woodford, History of Steuben County, New York: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers, (Philadelphia: Lewis, Peck & Co., 1879 (Philadelphia: Press of J.B. Lippincott)), pp. 286-296.
This town lies west of Corning, and was formed from Painted Post, July 27, 1826. Lindley was taken off in 1837, and a part of Corning was annexed in 1856. The surface of the town is about equally divided between high rolling uplands, and the broad alluvial valleys of the streams. The hills rise from four to six hundred feet above the valleys, which are from one to two miles wide. The Tioga and Canisteo Rivers unite in the southern part of the town; the Tioga and Conhocton in the northeast part, forming the Chemung River.
SOIL AND PRODUCTS.
The lands of this town are divided into valleys and hills, three-fifths of which, perhaps, belong to the latter division. Nearly the whole of them in the valleys of the Conhocton, Tioga, and Canisteo are improved. The soil is a deposit of rich alluvium, well adapted to the growth of cereals, roots, and most of the choice fruits, and many of the farms are now carefully and scientifically cultivated. The hills, where the sides are not too preciptious (and this is rarely the case, though some of them reach an altitude of nearly six hundred feet above the rivers), are all tillable, and their soils of loam and clay generally produce good crops and are well adapted to fruit and grazing.
The first settlement in Steuben County was made within the bounds of this town. In 1786, William Harris, a Pennsylvania Indian trader, established his cabin and trading-post near the north end of the bridge which now spans the Conhocton River, in the village of Painted Post. While he was in Pennsylvania on a visit, about Christmas, 1787, his house was burned. This is the circumstance referred to by Judge McMaster in the following description of Judge Baker's visit to Painted Post, with his Indian guide, from his log cabin up the Tioga River, just beyond the Pennsylvania line:
"On the morning of Christmas day, in the year 1787, a backwoodsman and an Indian issued from the door of a log cabin, which stood half buried in snow on the point of land lying between the Cowanesque Creek and the Tioga River, at the junction of those streams, and set forth on the ice of the river for a journey to the settlers below. They were clad according to the rude fashion of the frontiers and the forest, in garments partly obtained by barter from outpost traders, and partly stripped by robbery from the beasts of the forest. Tomahawks and knives were stuck in their belts, snow-shoes were bound to their feet, and knapsacks of provisions were lashed to their backs. Such was the equipment deemed necessary for travelers in Steuben County not a century ago. . . . .
"The pioneer and his savage comrade pursued their journey on the ice. The Tioga was then a wild and free river. From its source, far up in the 'Magnolia Hills' of the old provincial maps, down to its union with the equally wild and free Conhocton, no device of civilized man fretted its noble torrent. A single habitation of human beings stood upon its banks, the log cabin at the mouth of the Cowanesque. . . . But it bore now upon its frozen surface the forerunner of an unresting race of lumbermen and farmers, who in a few years invaded its peaceful solitudes, dammed its wild flood, and hewed down its lordly forests, through which it flowed. The travelers kept on their course beyond the mouth of the Canisteo to the Painted Post. Here they expected to find the cabin of one Harris, a trader, where they might have lodgings for the night, and, if necessary for the comfort of the savage beast, a draught from 'the cup which cheers (and also inebriates).' On their arrival at the head of the Chemung, however, they found that the cabin had been destroyed by fire. The trader had either been murdered by the Indians, or devoured by wild beasts, or else he had left the country, and Steuben County was in consequence depopulated.
"Disappointed in this hope, the two travelers continued their journey on the ice as far as Big Flats. Here night overtook them. They kindled a fire on the bank of the river, and laid down to sleep. The air was intensely cold. It was one of those clear, still, bright nights, when the moon seems an iceberg, and the stars are bright and sharp like hatchets. The savage rolled himself up in his blanket, lay with his back to the fire, and did not so much as stir till the morning; but his companion, though framed of that stout stuff out of which backwoodsmen are built, could not sleep for the intensity of the cold. At midnight a pack of wolves chased a deer from the woods to the river, seized the wretched animal on the ice, tore it to pieces, and devoured it within ten rods of the encampment. Early in the morning the travelers arose and went their way to the settlements below, the first of which was Newtown, on the site of the present village of Elmira.
"The backwoodsman was Samuel Baker, a New Englander, afterwards well known to our citizens as Judge Baker, of Pleasant Valley."
SURVEYORS AT PAINTED POST.
That portion of the Phelps and Gorham purchase which now constitutes Steuben County was surveyed into townships by Augustus Porter, Frederick Saxton, and others, in the summer of 1789. Judge Porter, in his narrative published in Turner's History of the Holland Purchase, says with regard to the survey, "While engaged in it we made our headquarters at Painted Post, on the Conhocton River, at the house of old Mr. Harris and his son William. These two men, Mr. Goodhue, who lived near by, and Mr. Mead, who lived at the mouth of Mead's Creek, were the only persons then on the territory we were surveying." It seems that Mr. Harris did not become discouraged by the burning of his establishment in the winter of 1787, but subsequently returned and rebuilt his house, and had a comfortable place for the entertainment of the surveyors in 1789.
FIRST PURCHASE OF ERWIN.
Early in the summer of 1789, while the surveyors were yet at work in this vicinity, Colonel Arthur Erwin, from Erwins, Bucks Co., Pa., came to Painted Post with a drove of cattle, which he was driving to Canandarque (Now Canandaigua). While resting his cattle here he employed an Indian guide, mounted his pony, and explored the surrounding country. The situation and scenery so delighted him that he resolved at once upon purchasing a tract of land in this vicinity. On his arrival at Canandaigua he proceeded immediately to the office of Messrs. Phelps and Gorham, inquired if the land was for sale, and made them an offer for the land, which is now the town of Erwin. They were to take in part payment his drove of cattle, and the remainder was to be paid in gold. The next morning the offer was accepted, and within twenty-four hours after the deed was signed, Colonel Eleazer Lindley arrived, and made an offer for the same township. He, however, subsequently purchased the town of Lindley.
The first time the name of Painted Post appears in any record or legal document is in the deed of conveyance to Colonel Arthur Erwin, which we here copy as a matter of curious interest to the reader. It is undoubtedly the oldest deed in Steuben County.
"To all persons to whom these presents shall come, greeting: Know ye, that I, Oliver Phelps, now of Canandarque, county of Ontario, and State of New York, Esquire, for and in consideration of the sum of £1400 lawful money of the State of New York, to me in hand paid before the ensealing hereof, by Arthur Arwin, of Bucks County, State of Pennsylvania, the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge, and am fully satisfied, contented, and paid, have given, granted, bargained, sold, aliened, released, conveyed, and confirmed, and by these presents do freely, clearly, and absolutely give, grant, bargain, sell, alien, release, convey, and confirm unto him, the said Arthur Arwin, his heirs and assigns forever, the certain piece or parcel of land lying in the county of Ontario, in the said State of New York, being township No. 2, in the second range of towns, being north of Pennsylvania line, and six miles west of Massachusetts pre-emption, being six miles square, containing 23,040 acres, known by the name of Painted Post, to have and to hold the before-granted premises, with the appurtenances and privileges thereunto belonging, to him, the said Arthur Arwin, his heirs and assigns, to him and his own proper use, benefit, and behoof forever more. And I, the said Oliver Phelps, do bind myself, my heirs, and executors, and administrators do covenant, promise, and grant unto and with the said Arthur Arwin, his heirs and assigns forever, that before and until the ensealing hereof, I am the true, sole, proper, and lawful owner and possessor of the before-granted premises, with the appurtenances, and have in myself good right, full power, and lawful authority to give, grant, bargain, sell, alien, release, convey, and confirm the same, as aforesaid, and that free and clear, and freely and clearly executed, acquitted and discharged of and from all former and other gifts, grants, and bargains, sales, leases, mortgages, wills, entails, jointures, doweries, thirds, executions, and encumbrances whatsoever. And furthermore, I, the said Oliver Phelps, for myself, my heirs, executors, and administrators, do hereby covenant, promise, and engage the before-granted premises, with the appurtenances, unto him, the said Arthur Arwin, his heirs and assigns forever, to warrant, secure, and defend against the lawful claims and demands of any person or persons whatsoever.
"In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this eighteenth day of July, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.
"Oliver Phelps. [L., S.]
"Signed, sealed, and delivered in the presence of
"This deed, and deed of confirmation, from Nathaniel Gorham, were recorded at Albany, Feb. 9, 1792, by request of Joseph Erwin. They were also recorded in the County Clerk's Office at Bath, June 4, 1870, in Book of Deeds 128, pages 273-276."
TOWN OF PAINTED POST.
ORIGIN OF THE NAME.
The name "Painted Post" originated in the erection by the Indians of a monument to the memory of the brave Seneca chief, Capt. Montour, who died in the year 1779, from wounds received at the battle of Freeling's Fort.
"This account," says Mr. Chas. H. Erwin, "we get from Mr. Taggart, a young man, who was at the time a prisoner under the notorious Tory Capt. McDonald, and was present at the burial."
The celebrated Seneca chief, Cornplanter, being interviewed by Capt. Samuel Adams, in 1833, said that "a great chief and brave was there taken sick and died, and was buried under the shade of an elm, on the north side near the mouth of the Conhocton River, and that he (Cornplanter) was one of the council that placed over the grave a post stained with the juice of wild berries to mark the spot."
The spot on which it stood, and remained standing for many years after the first settlers came into the country, was within a few feet of the northeast corner of the wagonshop of Messrs. Stout & Hurd, erected in the spring of 1860, and was repeatedly identified to persons now living by such early settlers as Edmund C. Cooper, Capt. Samuel and Francis Erwin, Robert Patterson, and Samuel Cook.
For many years the "painted post" was a noted landmark throughout the frontier regions of Western New York and Northern Pennsylvania. That it was a favorite haunt of the red man long previous to its settlement by the whites, is abundantly indicated by the great number of relics of Indian occupation found scattered in and around the place. Stone hatchets, flint arrow-heads, lance-points, pottery, mortars, and many other mementos of the past, and curiosities of the present, have here been gathered and preserved. They are chiefly pre-historic, showing that the occupancy of the Indians must have been a period prior to their intercourse with the whites, although at a later period it was undoubtedly a place of roundezvous for the wandering tribes and war-parties passing back and forward through the country. The fact that it was chosen as a burial-place of the chief, Montour, shows that it must have been a place for which the Indians entertained considerable ancestral reverence. Since the white people have occupied the spot, it has not been an uncommon occurrence, in excavating for cellars and digging post-holes, to come upon graves in which have been found the bones of Indians, pottery, arrows, and other relics. In 1847, Mr. Erwin, in sinking a post-hole on the southwest corner of his residence lotk, exhumed an Indian skeleton, and in the same grave found an arrow-point as white as marble, and pieces of broken pottery. In 1860 another Indian skeleton was unearthed, while excavating the cellar of the Bronson block, on the southwest corner of Hamilton and Water Streets. This grave contained the bones of a very large person, the thigh and arm bones being of an unusual length. It was buried in a sitting posture; in the same grave were broken but well-preserved pieces of Indian pottery and arrow-heads, showing that he had been amply provided with ammunition and cooking utensils for the long journey to the happy hunting-grounds.
The old town of Painted Post was organized as a part of Ontario County in 1793, and was represented by its supervior, Mr. Eli Mead, in the board which met at Canandaigua. Mr. Mead went on foot, by Indian trails, through the vast wilderness nearly seventy miles to meet his associates from the different scattered settlements at the county-seat. There was scarce a habitation on his route, and he was compelled to "take his hotel and bar in a knapsack upon his back in the daytime, and use them for a pillow at night, under the protecting roof of the dense foliage of the trees near his path." When the county of Steuben was erected in 1796, Painted Post became one of its original towns. It comprised the territory now embraced in the six towns of Hornby, Campbell, Erwin, Lindley, Corning, and Caton. The first division occurred in 1826, when Erwin and Hornby (including Campbell and Lindley) were taken off, leaving Painted Post reduced to township numbers one and two in the first range, or Caton and Corning. Caton was taken off as "Wormley" in 1839, reducing Painted Post to the single town of Corning, to which name it was changed on the 31st of March, 1852.
We have desired to obtain a complete list of the supervisors and other town officers of Painted Post during the time it was a town of Steuben County, but owing to the loss of the records, and the absence of reliable verbal information, we have been unable to do so. We find that Benjamin Patterson was supervisor of the town in 1806, and we have obtained from miscellaneous records in the county clerk's office the following list since 1823: Thomas McBurney, 1823-24; John Knox, 1825; Thomas McBurney, 1826-27; John Knox, 1828-29; Henry H. Matthews, 1830-32; Daniel Gorton, 1833-34; William Bonham, 1835; Samuel K. Wolcott, 1836; John McBurney, 1837-38; H. H. Matthews, 1839; Thomas A. Johnson, 1840-41; John McBurney, 1842-43; John Sly, Jr., 1844; Thomas A. Johnson, 1845-46; H. B. Noyce, 1847; Jonathan Brown, 1848; Benjamin P. Bailey, 1849-50; Daniel B. Cumpston, 1851.
PROGRESS OF SETTLEMENT.
David Fuller with his family settled in the town in the autumn of 1789; Eli and Eldad Mead, in 1790; Capt. Samuel Erwin and his brother, Francis, David and Jonathan Cook, Capt. Howell Bull, and several others, in 1792.
The first hotel, called the Painted Post Hotel or Tavern, was built by David Fuller in the spring of 1790; it was of round logs, one and a half stories, contained two rooms, and was located near the north end of the Conhocton bridge. Mr. Fuller was an agent and tenant of Col. Arthur Erwin, and for a long time the popular landlord of the hotel.
NARRATIVE OF THE LATE SAMUEL COOK.
"In the summer of 1792, I came with my father and family to Painted Post. Our goods from Tioga Point were pushed in a canoe up the Chemung and Conhocton Rivers by my father, and our cattle, sheep, and hogs were driven along the banks by my mother and sister and the children. In the Chemung Narrows we were met by a large party of Indians who were going to Tioga Point to make a treaty. At first my mother was very much frightened, but the Indians were very civil, and passed us with their friendly salutation of ‘sachoo,’ how do you do? Or ‘sachoo-ca-cho,’ how are you, my friend? We met with no other unusual incident until we reached and landed at a log tavern situated on the north shore of the Conhocton River, near the end of the bridge built there that spring. This tavern was kept by David Fuller, with whom my father and family boarded some days, or until he found a log shanty situated near the Post Creek road, into which he moved. I was then thirteen, and now I am eighty-one years old. Ephraim Patterson was then living in a house on the west bank of Post Creek, just above the Chimney Narrows; Ichabod, his son, was living in another, situated upon the farm remembered as Nehemiah Hubbell’s (father of Hon. Wm. B. Hubbell, of Bath, and Philo P. Hubbell, of Winona, Miss.); and Frederick Calkins was then living on the south side of the Chemung River, nearly opposite the chimney Narrows. We lived in this shanty a little more than a year, then moved up to Mr. Lindley’s, who was just commencing a new settlement, and built a log house near where Col. Morgan now lives. In 1793 or 1794 there was a log grist-mill built on Post Creek, just above Patterson’s house.
"In 1795, Benjamin Eaton opened the first store in the town,* if not in the county, for the benefit of civilization. It was situated upon the ground now used for the highway, at the head of the street leading from Knoxville to Corning Bridge. A man by the name of Comstock, from the mouth of Goodhue Creek, up the Canisteo, and myself, then nearly sixteen years old, started in a canoe for Wattles’ Ferry (now Unadilla) after his first stock of goods. We floated down the Chemung River to Tioga Point, then poled up the Susquehanna to Wattlees’ Ferry, drawing our boat upon the shore at night and sleeping under the trees upon the banks. We reached our destination in fie days, where we found Mr. Eaton, who had gone by land. The stock of goods was too large for our canoe, though it was a very large one, which compelled Mr. Eaton to purchase another small one, for which he paid one gallon of whisky. We loaded the canoes, and took charge of the small one, and we started down the river on our return. The water was low and the boats heavily laden, and we were frequently compelled to unload and ‘tote’ the bundles past the rapids. Without serious accident, but with severe toil, we arrived safely at home with the first stock of merchandise."
In 1801, John E. Evans came to Painted Post and boarded with Benjamin Patterson. He afterwards purchased a farm about a mile and a half south of the village, and built a house (the farm now owned by C. F. Platt). Mr. Evans was born in the city of London, England, and came to Philadelphia in 1800. Before leaving England he had been liberally educated. He possessed those active and business qualifications which made him a leading man in the early settlement of this portion of Steuben County. He taught the first school in the town, and numbered among his pupils Robert and John Patterson, Gen. F. E. Erwin, of Painted Post; Gen. Wm. D. Knox, of Junction City, Kas.; John Erwin, Esq., of Cleveland, O.; Col. F. E. Young, of Hornellsville; Thomas Wheat, Arthur H. Erwin, John McBurney, Samuel Shannon, Philander Knox, and many other well-remembered names. During the war of 1812 he was collector of revenue, afterwards postmaster. He was the first clerk in the town of Erwin, was re-elected six times; was justice of the peace; and in all his public and official positions maintained a character for capacity, honor, and integrity. He died, Feb. 27, 1854, at the age of seventy, leaving his second wife and three children.
In the early spring of 1803, Capt. Samuel Erwin removed with his family to Painted Post from Easton, Pa. His furniture and goods were carted to Wilkesbarre, the metropolis of the far-famed Wyoming Valley, on the Susquehanna River, and there shipped on a Durham boat and brought up the rivers to Painted Post. Capt. Erwin, wife and daughter, the latter then about fifteen months old (now Mrs. Eliza E. Townsend, living with her son, Edward E. Townsend, at the "Pines," four miles south of the village), came the entire distance on horseback, he carrying the child on a pillow in front of him. The distance was about three hundred miles. After a short delay at the house of David Fuller they moved into their new residence, a log house, situated a few rods east and south of the old log barn still standing upon the farm now owned by Gen. Francis E. Erwin, about a mile and a half west of the village. They lived in that house until about 1811, when they moved into the log tavern formerly owned and occupied by David Fuller, where they remained till 1823. Charles H. Erwin, the youngest son of Capt. Samuel Erwin, was born in the town of Erwin, where he still resides, April 30, 1822.
By this time there had been made in various parts of the town many new settlements. George Young, father of Col. Francis E. Young, and of Clement H. Young, of Corning; Edmund C. Cooper, father of Levi C. Cooper, of Painted Post, settled in the town about 1823. Mr. Young, then a single man, was from Philadelphia.
* In what is now the town of Corning.
DIVISION OF THE ERWIN ESTATE.
After the death of Col. Arthur Erwin his property was by allotment divided equally between his ten children, who were all then living. Of the number, Capt. Samuel Francis, Maj. Arthur, Mrs. Rebecca McKean, and Mrs. Mulhollon, became setlers upon their portions in the town of Erwin. The other brothers and sisters, except Mrs. Dr. John Cooper, subsequently disposed of their property in the town, chiefly to the brothers and sisters who had settled here. "Captain Sam" and "Uncle Frank," as they were usually called, came into possession of their portion, upon which the village now stands, and Maj. Arthur of the extreme southwestern portion of the town.
The division was made by commissioners chosen by the heirs of Col. Arthur Erwin, pursuant to an act of the Legislature, passed March 16, 1785, consisting of John Konkle, Eleazer Lindley, and Henry McCormick. A map of the town of Erwin, showing the several allotments made to each heir, may be found in the county clerk's office of Steuben County.
THE TOWN IN 1812.
In 1812 the settlement had grown to a size that required them to assist in adjusting the national difficulties with England. A day was appointed for determining, by draft, who should have the honor of defending our rights and privileges from the Tories. The draft was made in Bath, and several residing at Painted Post were chosen, among whom were Abner Trowbridge, Edmund C. Cooper, James Gillen, Thomas Wheat, and several more whose names cannot be obtained. Joseph Gillett, then living on Little Flats, below Corning, was a lieutenant in the regiment, and was wounded. Judge Thomas McBurney also held a commission. Edmund C. Cooper procured a substitute. Daniel Mulhollon, since removed to Jasper, enlisted twice before the draft; the first time his father obtained a release, contrary to his wishes; he enlisted again, and in one of the battles in Canada lost his left hand, or rather, had it so severely wounded that amputation was necessary. The drafted men were engaged in several battles. Lieut. Joseph Gillett was wounded, and compelled to come home. He detached from his company Mr. Trowbridge to accompany him, and neglecting to have this put properly upon record, Mr. Trowbridge was, very unjustly, put down as a deserter. Mr. Erwin, who states this fact in his pamphlet (Hist., Painted Post), says, "A truer patriot never went to war."
Those who were called out upon the second draft did not reach the scene of action before peace was declared.
"THE GREAT PUMPKIN FLOOD."
In the autumn of 1817, the town was visited with what has been designated the "great pumpkin flood." At this time few, if any, of the settlements extended far beyond the river-flats, and the waters overflowed the banks and swept nearly all the late produce off. The pumpkins, which upon the rich soil had grown in great abundance and to a great size, were very conspicuous, covering the face of the deep, swift current. The experience of a pioneer, which probably resembled that of many others, is given by Mr. Samuel Cook, as follows: "My father was then living in a log house, just above and on the opposite side of Tioga River from Erwin Centre. We had on the second floor, which was made of split hewn logs, some corn in the ear. The flood had driven two families to our house, and my father brought the sheep to the house in a canoe, and we shoveled the corn back, raised the floor and put the sheep in the second story. The water came in on the first floor and then we all went up into the second story, where we remained until morning,--three families, eleven sheep, and the corn, with scarce enough room for either alone.
"In the morning the waters threatened to cover the second floor, and my father took the families and the sheep out of the window into the canoe, and to the hill-side which was near by. During the day five stacks of wheat and oats floated off and went out of sight down the river, two of which were afterwards recovered (every sheaf, I believe); having floated over two miles, they were found landed right side up upon the head of Mulhollon's Island, opposite Edward E. Townsend's farm. It was to the settlers in these valeys the most disheartening even that had yet occurred, coming at that season, and before the crops were all gathered. Nearly every settler in the valleys of the Tioga, Canisteo, and Conhocton was victimized, and the destruction of property was only exceeded by the disappointment and suffering of the hard-toiling settlers."
THE INUNDATION OF 1833.
In 1833 the valleys of the Conhocton and Tioga were again inundated. This flood, being in the month of May, was occasioned alone by heavy showers. It came within twelve inches of reaching the height of the great flood of 1817, and was much more disastrous. Mills, manufactories, dwellings, bridges, lumber, cattle, sheep, and swine, were swept away by the swollen and remorseless current. Many reminiscences of this flood, and of the exciting and often ludicrous scenes which it presented, are yet vivid in the recollection of old settlers on the lower Conhocton. Says Mr. Erwin, speaking of its effect upon the river at Painted Post: "Timothy W. Whiting and his partner, William Boardman, in an effort to secure some lumber that had been rafted, floated past our town on two platforms of lumber that had broken loose, without oars. The water was so high that the "grubs' touched the Conhocton bridge, and they had barely room, by lying flat upon the platforms, to pass under it. Under the Knoxville bridge they were compelled to drop into the water and hold on to the platforms. They were, however, rescued below the bridge and before reaching the canal-dam, but the lumber was lost." The narrator also recollects seeing "Jacob Bullman, a well-known hunter, now living in the wilds of Michigan, ride past on three slabs with only an edging for a setting-pole, and safely step off upon the banks not a dozen feet from the bridge."
THE GREAT FLOOD OF 1857.
On the 10th of November, 1857, the waters of the Chemung River and its tributaries were higher than at any time before of which any record exists. About midday on the 9th the clouds gathered; presently the rain commenced falling, and it continued in torrents until in the night. It seemed as if the flood-gates of heaven were opened, and the people of these valleys were to share the fate of the antediluvians. All night men went to and fro carrying lanterns, the scene reminding one of the Dismal Swamp with its firefly lamps multiplied. In the morning the excitement was fearful; the waters were pouring into the low places and many of the houses. Steadily and rapidly the waters accumulated, and increased until the waves dashed against the planks of the bridges, which stood firmly, resisting the force of trees, logs, lumber, stumps, furniture, corn, pumpkins, produce and the flood-wood hurled against them. At three o'clock P.M. the waters were observed to be at a stand; two hours later they were visibly falling, and the people felt a sense of relief from the impending danger. The next morning presented a scene which baffles all attempts at description. The waters had risen in the night and completely deluged all the flat lands, so that at Painted Post boats landed at the door of the hotel, and it was a "perfect sea of water from there to the mountains on the west of the Tioga River, or where the river should be." It is impossible to convey a just idea of the misery, loss, and suffering which this flood entailed upon the inhabitants who lived within the field of its ravages.
The town of Erwin was organized, and held its first election, on the 7th of March, 1826, at the house of Daniel Rooks, Jr., which stood upon the site of the Erwin House, about four miles south of Painted Post. Erhan Pier, Esq., was the presiding officer. Capt. Samuel Erwin was elected the first supervisor, and John E. Evans the first town clerk. The town officers to 1878, inclusive, are as follows:
LIST OF TOWN OFFICERS.
|1826.||Samuel Erwin.||John E. Evans.||Silas Cook.|
|1827.||Samuel Erwin.||John E. Evans.||Silas Cook.|
|1828.||Samuel Erwin.||John E. Evans.||Silas Cook.|
|1829.||Samuel Erwin.||John E. Evans.||Arthur Erwin, Jr.|
|1830.||Abner Thurber.||John E. Evans.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1831.||Abner Thurber.||John E. Evans.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1832.||Abner Thurber.||John E. Evans.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1833.||John Cooper, Jr.||John E. Evans.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1834.||Chauncey Hoffman.||Julius Morgan.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1835.||Chauncey Hoffman||Julis Morgan.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1836.||A. C. Morgan.||Ansel C. Smith.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1837.||Francis E. Erwin.||J. G. Messereau.||Samuel Patterson.|
|1838.||Francis E. Erwin.||Washington Barnes.||Joseph E. Borst|
|1839.||Arthur Erwin, Jr.||Washington Barnes.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1840.||Arthur Erwin, Jr.||William J. Gilbert.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1841.||Arthur Erwin, Jr.||William J. Gilbert.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1842.||Arthur Erwin, Jr.||William J. Gilbert.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1843.||William J. Gillett.||Justin M. Smith.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1844.||William J. Gillett.||Justin M. Smith.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1845.||William J. Gillett.||Justin M. Smith.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1846.||William J. Gillett.||David B. Cumpston.||Nelson Carpenter.|
|1847.||William J. Gillett.||E. E. Townsend.||Nelson Carpenter.|
|1848.||William J. Gillett.||L. M. Badger.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1849.||Arthur H. Erwin.||R. O. Smith.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1850.||Arthur H. Erwin.||R. O. Smith.||Joseph E. Borst.|
|1851.||Ira P. Bennett.||Darwin A. Smith.||John Woolsey.|
|1852.||Uri Balcom.||Chas. J. Chatfield.||Clement H. Baker.|
|1853.||Uri Balcom.||Chas. J. Chatfield.||Oscar Jordan.|
|1854.||Samuel Erwin.||Chas. J. Chatfield.||Isaac N. Sutherly.|
|1855.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||William N. Howell.|
|1856.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||John Borst.|
|1857.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||Austin M. Smith.|
|1858.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||Austin M. Smith.|
|1859.||Arthur H. Erwin.||Francis Erwin.||Austin M. Smith.|
|1860.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||Isaac N. Sutherly.|
|1861.||Arthur H. Erwin.||William D. Farwell.||Isaac N. Sutherly.|
|1862.||Arthur H. Erwin.||Benjamin Farwell.||P.A. Easterbrooks.|
|1863.||William J. Gilbert.||H. D. Edwards.||Amos J. Banter.|
|1864.||Wm. C. Bronson.||H. D. Edwards.||Albert S. Ward.|
|1865.||Wm. C. Bronson.||A. K. Knapp.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1866.||Wm. C. Bronson.||Charles J. Fox.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1867.||Wm. C. Bronson.||Benjamin Farwell.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1868.||Alanson J. Fox.||Albert R. Sayles.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1869.||Wm. C. Bronson.||Benjamin Farwell.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1870.||Lyman Balcom.||Charles A. Rose.||Greeley D. Rood.|
|1871.||Ira P. Bennett.||F. E. Young.||Wm. N. Howell.|
|1872.||Chas. J. Fox.||P D. Parkhurst.||M. W. Hubbard.|
|1873.||Chas. J. Fox.||P. W. N. Sanderson.||D. W. C. Erwin.|
|1874.||Chas. J. Fox.||J. Monroe Smith.||E. D. Bonham.|
|1875.||Francis Erwin.||J. Monroe Smith.||E. D. Bonham.|
|1876.||W. S. Hodgman.||J. Monroe Smith.||E. D. Bonham.|
|1877.||Francis Erwin.||Henry D. Edwards.||E. D. Bonham.|
|1878.||Francis Erwin.||J. Monroe Smith.||E. D. Bonham.|
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|1833.||Ansel C. Smith.||1856.||Benjamin Farwell.|
|Benjamin Harrower.||1857.||Emery M. Wood.|
|1834.||John E. Evans.||John A. Shults.|
|1836.||John McClure.||1859.||Samuel Adams.|
|1837.||Ansel C. Smith.||Francis Erwin.|
|John E. Evans.||1860.||John A. Shults.|
|1838.||Charles K. Miller.||1861.||John A. Shults.|
|1840.||Charles K. Miller.||1862.||John Day.|
|1841.||Clement H. Young.||1864.||Francis Erwin.|
|Uri Balcom.||1865.||Samuel Erwin.|
|Ansel B. Wood.||1866.||Thomas F. Simmons.|
|1842.||Roswell Enos.||1867.||Samuel Erwin.|
|William Erwin.||1868.||Samuel Erwin.|
|G. A. Farnum.||1869.||Andrew J. Blackman.|
|1844.||C. F. Platt.||1870.||James S. Tobias.|
|1845.||James Munsell.||1871.||R. H. Schuyler.|
|Henry C. Wilcox.||1872.||Francis Erwin.|
|1847.||C. F. Platt.||1873.||A. B. Hurd.|
|1849.||Zatter Wilder.||1874.||James S. Tobias.|
|T. E. Young.||1875.||A. J. Ross.|
|1850.||John Tiffany||1877.||A. M. Smith.|
|John Day.||1878.||Chas. F. Dunklee.|
|Samuel Erwin.||James S. Tobias.|
VILLAGE OF PAINTED POST.
In the spring of 1833, Capt. Samuel Erwin first laid out the village-plat of Painted Post; that between the Hornby road and the river, and Hamilton and Steuben Streets. The plat was subsequently enlarged,-on the east by Gen. F. E. Erwin, H. P. Badger, and George W. Patterson, and on the west by Charles H. Erwin.
The village was incorporated under the general law July 18, 1860.
In 1840 the first church edifice was erected in the village. It is now standing, and is occupied by the Presbyterian society.
In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church erected their edifice on the corner of Chemung and Steuben Streets.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1852, and their house of worship erected in 1860.
PROGRESS OF THE VILLAGE.
We take the following notes showing the progress of improvements in the village and other miscellaneous matters from the excellent little work which has been our principal authority in preparing the matter for this chapter,-Mr. Charles H. Erwin's pamphlet "History of Painted Post."
"In 1822, Francis Erwin erected a two-story frame hotel, 70 by 50 feet, at a cost of $2000; Mr. Timothy Goodrich, architect. This was the first frame upon the site of the present village, and remained for half a century, lacking a few months, and was burned on the 29th of April, 1872. We have the original contract, in the handwriting of John E. Evans, and on the same sheet a draft of the front and rear, east and west elevations, with a plan of the ground, second, and garret floors, by Mr. Goodrich. It was purchased in 1847, by Willis J. Savory, who raised it one story. Capt. Samuel Bessley (father of the wife of the architect, Mr. Goodrich, of Mrs. George Haverling, of Bath, and of Mrs. Col. Uri Balcom, of Chicago) first, and for many years occupied it, and gained a widely known reputation as one of the best of landlords. It was situated on the northeast corner of Water and Hamilton Streets.
"The same year capt. Samuel Erwin erected the first frame store upon the northwest corner, opposite the hotel, which was rented to the late John Arnot, of Elmira. The late Hon. William S. Hubbel, of Bath, was his clerk. The next year (1823) he erected the house we now own, where we reside, and where now (December, 1873) we are writing this article, and in which there has never been a change
in the form of a room since it was first finished. Capt. Erwin occupied it until his death. It is now the oldest frame building, excepting the old grist-mill, in town. The same year he built the old grist-mill and saw-mill now owned and occupied by Warren S. Hodgman, and his brother, L. D. Hodgman, of Bath. John Spicer was the builder and millwright. There were four run of stones and a half-gang bolt put in the mill.
"We still have many of the old receipted bills for the materials, also the shipping bills. When these buildings were raised, the 'neighbors' from Tioga Point, Newtown, Big Flats, Lawrenceville, Lindley, Penn Yan, Bath, and intermediate places, were here to assist. The occasion was the last gala day for the old and first hotel of the town, and where all received their victuals and drink.
"In 1824, Mr. John Wygant cut the 'sheet-iron Indian which has ever since graced the village, perched upon a painted post. This effort, taking into consideration the times and their facilities, was quite a success; and when looked at as in commemoration and perpetuation of the original monumental post, we can the more readily overlook all the imperfections, and better appreciate, guard, and protect it as a memento.
"In 1847 the bank of Cayuga Lake, at Ithaca, owned by H. C. Grant, was purchased by Asa S. Foster, of the city of New York, and Cephas F. Platt, of Painted Post. In the spring of 1851 they removed it to this village, with a capital of $50,000. It was for several years kept in the second story of the Empire Block. In 1860 Mr. Platt became solo proprietor, at which time its issue was over $70,000, and he occupied for some years the brick building he had erected for a bank.
"In 1848, the late A. H. Erwin, Gen. F. E. Erwin, I. P. Bennett, and the late Henry S. Brooks, erected an extensive foundry and machine shop, with a block of three large stores, and the largest public hall in the county, over the stores, known as Mechanics' Hall. It was completed in 1849. Some two years later the company purchased Mr. Bennett's interest, and was known as Erwin & Brooks. In 1853, Mr. David Curtis purchased Gen. Erwin's interest, and the title of the firm was Curtis, Erwin & Brooks. In 1855 Mr Curtis gave one-half of his interest to his daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Erwin. The next year Mr. Brooks sold half of his interest to the late Judge Washington Barnes. Under the superintendence of the late James H. Simmons, of Fairport, N.Y., and until the financial pressure of 1857, it was unsurpassed by any establishment of the kind in Western New York, giving employment to nearly 100 men.
"In the autumn of 1850 the New York and Erie Railroad was completed between Corning and Hornellsville, passing through this village. In 1852 the Buffalo, Conhocton Valley and New York Railroad, made a junction at this village with the Erie. The Western Union Telegraph Company completed its line along the Erie road in 1855, and along the Buffalo, Conhocton Valley and New York Railroad in 1857, putting this village in momentary communication with all places along the lines and throughout the country.
"Empire Block was built by A. B. McCuller and Messrs. A. H. and F. E. Erwin, in 1841. It stood upon the southeast corner of Water and Hamilton Streets, the third story being occupied by Empire Hall.
"On the evening of Sept. 2, 1850, a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted in the village. Maj. M. H. McGrath was the first W. M. The order is now in a flourishing condition.
About the year 1832, the estate of William Erwin, in this town, was purchased by Isaac Gray, and two lawyers from Owego, Messrs. Platt and Dana. It embraced an area of some 4000 acres of land, bountifully supplied with groves of superior and valuable pine timber. They built the first mill upon the site of the establishment now known as the Gang Mills, and after a few years sold the property to Sylvester Smith, Abram Ogden, and col. Hiram W. Bostwick. A few years later, Judge Smith became sole proprietor, and for some ten or twelve years manufacturered lumber, and improved the lands. He then sold to Messrs. John C. Cameron and James U. Weston, two gentlemen who were credited with a long experience, and a practical knowledge of the lumber business; however these gentlemen did not long retain possession. In 1846, Rev. Norman Fox, father of A. J. Fox, one of the present proprietors, Abijah Weston, and William C. Bronson purchased of Messrs, Cameron and Weston this property. This enterprising firm immediately rebuilt and enlarged the mill, adding gangs, slabbers, edgers, lath, and other improved machinery, and, as the increasing demand required, added steam to their hydraulic power, new buildings, with planing and picket machines, until it has become the most extensive lumber establishment and firm in the town, county, or State, and the nucleus of perhaps the most extensive lumbering business in the United States, when aggregating the various results of the different manufactories over the widely-spread localities in which one or the other of these gentlemen are the principal owners. All of the members of this firm have their residence at Painted Post, and their mills are situated about one mile southwest of the village.
They have in their possession the title in fee simple to many hundreds of thousands acres of the best timberlands in the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and timber-rights, licenses, or Government leases, for more than a million and a quarter acres of the very best timber tracts of Canada. They own and run seven extensive gang-mills, that average each from ten to thirty millions feet of lumber annually, and four large planing-mills, with each a capacity of from 50,000 to 250,000 feet of dressed lumber per day, together with the immense and unknown quantities of shingles, lath, and pickets manufacturered by them, and the number of their employees is counted by the thousands.
The firm is now known as Fox, Weston & Co., Mr. William C. Bronson having sold his interest to A. J Fox and his brother, Maj. Charles J. Fox.
The Extract-Works of this village have applied a new method for the manufacture of the extract of hemlock-bark, an article of great importance to tanners and dyers, and also used in various manufactures.
In 1856 the Van Orman tannery, on Chemung Street, was purchased by Harvey Bissel and William D. Farwell. These gentlemen established a successful business, which was conducted under the immediate superintendence of Benjamin Farwell, of this village. In 1859, William D. Farwell sold his interest to Mr. Bissel, and about 1864 Mr. Bissel sold to Cyrus Pyle & Co., of which firm N. Spencer Thomas was a member. The latter, while connected with this firm, successfully completed the new method for the manufacture of the extract of hemlock-bark, and is the patentee and owner of the process, as well as of numerous machines used in making it. Mr. Thomas is now a resident of Elmira. William D. Farwell is a member of the gigantic merchantile firm of John V. Farwell & Co., Chicago. Mr. Harvey Bissel, who spent his last years in Toledo, Ohio, was an important aid to the business interest of this village, where he resided many years, and was indefatigable in his efforts to build up and improve the place.
The Extract-Works employ some twenty men; their capacity is from 3000 to 3500 cords of hemlock-bark, and about 400 cords of barrel material per annum, there being an extensive barrel-factory attached. The establishment is run night and day, and is under the efficient management of Mr. Charles Iredell. The products are shipped directly from the works to all parts of this continent, and to Europe.
Since 1855, tobacco has been successfully raised in the valleys, and nearly an hundred acres are annually planted in the town. Calvin Lovell, Esq., residing on a farm near the Gang-Mills, is the pioneer in the culture of this lucrative production.
About three o'clock A.M. on the morning of the 7th of May, 1860, a fire was discovered in the foundry then owned by Messrs. Curtis, Erwin, Brooks & Co. It spread rapidly and consumed the foundry block and buildings, the barn of the company, the barns, livery-stable, and market of the hotel, five dwellings and five barns on the north side of Water Street, and four stores, wagon-, and blacksmith-shop on the south side. It was estimated that more than $50,000 worth of property above insurance was destroyed.
The same year Messrs. A. Weston, Wm. C. Bronson, Charles H. Erwin, and Wm. H. Calkins rebuilt the foundry and machine-shops, to which they have added at various times since. In 1865, with the addition of Maj. McGrath to the company, they erected the extensive door-, sash-, and blind-factory, which flourished a few years and was then abandoned.
The large three-story brick block on the corner of Hamilton and Water Streets was erected by Wm. C. Bronson, in 1860. In 1869, Dr. Orcutt's drug-store and H.D. Edwards' jeweler-store were added.
In 1870, Wm. C. Bronson and Harris C. Higman opened a bank in the Bronson Block. In 1872 these gentlemen purchased the Bank of Cayuga Lake, and Mr. Bronson the building of C. F. Platt. Mr. Bronson immediately commenced the enlargement and rebuilding of the old bank, adding an iron and plate-glass front and another story. In January, 1873, Mr. Bronson purchased Mr. Higman's interest and became sole proprietor.
In 1872, Mr. Bronson built on his lot, in front of the Erie depot, an iron-roofed, fire-proof planing-mill, and in 1873 opened, with George Dorn and Alva Bronson, an extensive lumber-yard. This mill has a capacity of 50,000 feet of dressed lumber per day.
On the 28th of February, 1873, the village was scourged with another desolating fire. All the buildings between Hamilton Street and the Erie railroad-crossing, on the south side of Water Street, including the Empire Block, were consumed. Nearly all of these buildings have since been replaced by better structures.
The first newspaper started in the village was the Painted Post Gazette, in the year 1846, by Mr. Fairchild. It continued to be issued only a few months. In May, 1848, Messrs. Ransom Bennett and B. M. Hawley commenced the publication of the Painted Post Herald, which was continued about one year.
In October, 1870, Wm. C. Bronson, H. C. Higman, and S. H. Ferenbaugh began the publication of the Painted Post Times. Mr. Higman retired in 1872. The paper has lately been discontinued.
John E. Evans taught the first school in the village, or rather in the pioneer settlement; for it was a quarter of a century at least before the village was laid out. "The first school-house," says Mr. Erwin, "that we recollect, was situated on the site of the dwelling now occupied by E. S. Borland, which is also Messrs. Hodgman's farm-house. This school-house was built of plank, and the rent of ground given by Capt. Samuel Erwin. The next one was built on the south side of the river, and is now used as a dwelling by Mrs. Hallack. In 1848 or 1849, the late Arthur Erwin built a large two-story frame building on the south side of the river, nearly opposite the residence of the late C. J. Chatfield. This building was rented to the district, together with two acres of ground, for $100 per annum, to be used for a district school. The main building was some 50 by 75 feet, with a projecting gable, supported by four large pillars in front, and a wing on the north and south sides, making a front upon the street of about one hundred feet. It was used by the district school till 1868, when the present model brick school-house on Charles Street was built, at an expense of $14,000, including the lot and furniture. William C. Bronson was the contractor, and Maj. M. H. McGrath the architect. The old building, after being abandoned for school purposes, was converted into a tobacco warehouse, and was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1871.
The public school is a union free school, with an academic department. It is provided with a valuable library of miscellaneous books and works of reference, has a fine lot of new apparatus for performing philosophical and other experiments, and is received under visitation of the Regents.
The school has been desinged by them to instruct a teachers' class during the winter term, beginnign Jan. 6, 1879, in methods of teaching, school management, and in general normal training.
Board of education.--S. B. Howell, President; E. H. Smith, Secretary; W. H. Calkins, J. Z. Wilder, A. F. Timerman; J. Monroe Smith, Treasurer.
Faculty.--E. W. Griffith, Principal; Bell S. Arnold, Academic Assistant; Florence E. Wilson, Intermediate Department; Minerva D. McCarty, Primary Department.
Calendar.--Winter Term commences Jan. 6, 1879; closes April 4; Spring Term commences April 14, 1879; closes June 27.
Rates of Tuition.--All actual residents, free; non-residents as follows: Academic Department, per term, $5; Primary and Intermediate Departments, $3.
Attendance during the past school year, 160; Academic Department, 75.
We learn from Mr. Alson Pierce, an early resident of Cooper's Plains, that one John Williams, a "Hessian," who had been taken prisoner at Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga, settled on lands adjoining the town line between Erwin and Campbell about 1795. In 1814 part of this land was bought by Judge McBurney, and in 1815, Alson Pierce and the two Cobbs purchased most of the remainder. Mr. Pierce came from the State of Vermont, and at the time of his settlement there was a road leading from Painted Post to Bath, along the Conhocton, by which the mail was carried on horseback once a week. John E. Evans was then postmaster at Centreville. The Bath paper was then carired open, and thrown into the yards as the carrier passed by. The first post-office at Cooper's Plains consisted of a "shingle nailed to a tree, under which the mail was stuck by the accommodating mail rider."
Judge Cooper settled in this part of the town in 1828. He was an only son, and his father resided in Easton, Pa. His mother was a daughter of Col. Arthur Erwin. His son, John Cooper, Jr., was a physician of considerable note, and the founder of the village of Cooper's Plains.
About 1841, Dr. Cooper built a large residence on his farm near the junction of Mead's Creek Valley with Conhocton, and laid out a portion of his farm into village lots. The place soon began to attract settlers. Albert Mulligan opened the first store, and subsequently Col. Uri Balcom, now a resident of Chicago, carried on lumbering and merchantile business, operating a saw-mill, which had been built by John Williams. Anson Buck, father of Edward Buck, Esq., of Addison, built and kept the first hotel. This house for many years after Mr. Buck left it was occupied by the late Daniel Ogden, whose reputation as a "prince of landlords" nearly absorbed the name of the village, for it used to be more frequently said "going to Ogden's" than going to Cooper's Plains. The building was burned in 1871, and has not yet been replaced.
The Rochester branch of the Erie Railway passes through and has a station at Cooper's Plains. There are a Baptist and a Methodist church, a large and commodious district school-house, a flouring-mill, steam saw-mill, chair-factory, wagon- and blacksmith-shops, one or two stores, a post-office, and some twenty-five or thirty dwellings, and the Good Templars maintain a flourishing lodge in the village.
In the spring of 1873 a depot was built near the west line of E. E. Townsend's property, and the station was called Erwin. A post-office was established here, and Mr. Townsend was appointed postmaster.
There are now three post-offices in the town of Erwin, viz., Painted Post, in the village of Painted Post; Cooper's Plains, at Cooper's Plains; and Erwin, at Erwin.
MILITARY RECORD OF ERWIN.
Abbey, John, private, 74th Inf., Col K; enl. Sept. 13, 1861, three years; re-enl.; lost an arm at the battle of Gettysburg; disch. In consequence.
Abel, Emerson W., sergt., 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years.
Adams, William Bradford, private, 107th Inf.., Co. C; enl. July, 1862, three years.
Alexander, Geo., private, 8th U.S. Col. Inf.; drafted July 17, 1863, three years.
Ameigh, Richmond J., private, 74th Inf., Co. K; enl. May 22, 1861, three years; re-enlisted; disch. June, 1865.
Ames, Ed, 161st Inf.; enl. Dec. 22, 1863, three years.
Andrews, Ransom Riley, private, 20th N.Y. Ind. Bat.; enl. June 6, 1863, three years; disch. Aug. 7, 1865.
Bailey, Charles Ames, private, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. Sept., 1861, three years; disch.; re-enl. same co. and regt. In 1863; wounded in battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864; died the next day.
Baker, Morgan Henry, musician, 50th Eng., Fo. F; enl. Aug., 1862, three years; disch. June 8, 1865.
Ball, Joseph Allen, corporal, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. April 12, 1861; wounded in the battle of Antietam in the right arm, arm amputated; disch. Dec. 5, 1862.
Barber, Henry C., 10th Cav.; enl. Dec. 31, 1863, three years.
Burnett, Henry E., 16th Vet. Res. Corps; enl. July 27, 1864, three years.
B__nes, Peter, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 18, 1862, three years.
Beers, Schuyler, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. C; enl. Aug. 31, 1864, one year; pro. to artificer; disch. June 13, 1865.
Benjamin, James R., 16th H. Art.; enl. Dec. 29, 1863, three years.
Bennett, Wilson Le Roy, musician, 6th Cav., Col. L; enl. Oct. 16, 1861, three years; disch. Oct. 23, 1864.
Berry, Francis, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Blanchard, William Alexander, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Sept. 1, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Blowers, John, 50th eng.; enl. April 3, 1865, one year.
Boardman, James, enl. Aug. 29, 1863, three years; sub. for James McGuire.
Bogula, James, 179th Inf.; enl. March 29, 1864, three years.
Borst, Ira A., private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; captured Dec. 15, 1864; in Florence prison three months; exchanged; disch. June 2, 1865; died in Nov.
Borst, Philo, corporal, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 4, 1862, three years; pro. to corp., Aug. 1, 1862; disch. Feb. 4, 1863; re-enl. 50th Eng., Co. A, Dec. 19, 1863, three years; pro. to artificer, July 1, 1864; to corp., April 23, 1865; disch. June 30, 1865.
Borst, Theodore, 50th Eng.; enl. Dec. 29, 1863, three years.
Borst, Julius Rowley, 50th Eng.; enl. Dec. 19, 1863, three years.
Brimmer, Lorenso, 50th Eng.; enl. April 3, 1865, one year.
Britten, William James, Jr., private, 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Aug. 2, 1864, three years; disch. Aug. 9, 1865.
Bronson, Irving, capt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 29, 1862, three years; pro. to 1st lieut., May 2, 1863; to capt., Sept. 20, 1865; disch. June 5, 1865.
Brower, Charles, private, 86th Inf.
Brown, Sanford Delos, corporal, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Brown, Gilbert La Fayette, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Dec. 19, 1863, three years; died Aug. 6, 1864.
Brown, Samuel Watson, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. Aug. 7, 1862, three years; disch. June 5, 1865.
Brown, Wm. A., 50th Eng.; enl. Aug. 30, 1864, one year.
Brown, Henry E., 2d Inf.; re-enl. 22d Cav., Aug. 9, 1864, three years.
Burnsides, James, drafted.
Button, Miles, private, 179th Inf., Co. B; enl. March 3, 1864, three years; disch. May 29, 1865.
Brockway, Andrew, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July, 1862, three years; killed in the battle at Dallas, May 25, 1864.
Calkins, Milton, 2d sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; disch. June 18, 1863.
Campbell, William, 20th U.S. Col. Inf.; enl. July 25, 1864, three years.
Cassida, John, 50th Eng.; enl. Aug. 31, 1861, one year.
Carman, John, enl. Aug. 23, 1864, three years; sub. for Warren S. Hodgman.
Chapman, Alonso, 179th Inf.; enl. Mar. 31, 1864, three years.
Clark, John B., enl. Dec. 15, 1864, three years; sub. for Abijah Weston.
Christler, Charles, private, 141st Inf.; enl. Aug., 1862, three years.
Chatfield, Charles James, 1st lieut., 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. April, 1861, two years; pro. to corp., Aug. 1, 1861; wounded in the leg in second Bull Run battle, Aug. 31, 1862; disch. May 22, 1863; re-enl. 10th Cav., Jan. 2, 1864, three years; must. out 10th Cav. and appointed 1st lieut. of 20th N.Y. Ind. Bat., April 4, 1864; disch. July 7, 1864; re-enl. 1st U.S. V. V. Corps, Co. B, Dec. 5, 1864, one year; pro. to sergt., Jan 5, 1865; to 2d lieut. of 2d Regt., 1st Corps. July 24, 1865; to 1st lieut. same regt., Oct. 5, 1865.
Cobb, Charles, private, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. Oct. 7, 1861, three years; disch. and re-enl. Jan 1, 1864, three years; taken prisoner at Gains' Farm, June 1, 1864; sent to Libby prison eight days; moved to Andersonville for ten months; paroled April 29, 1865; disch. June 23, 1865.
Cobb, James Ezra, private, 35th Inf., Co. F; enl. for two years; re-enl. in 20th Ind. Bat.
Cobb, Wm., private, 23d Inf., Co. D, two years; re-enl. in 50th Eng., Co. A, one year.
Cook, Seth Dagget, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 5, 1862, three years; disch. Feb. 5, 1863; re-enl. in 10th Cav., Co. L, Aug. 25, 1864, one year; disch. June 23, 1865.
Coolbaugh, Jerome, enl. Aug. 14, 1864, three years; sub. for Alanson J. Fox.
Coon, Judson C., private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 23, 1862, three years.
Cooper, John, surg. Freemont's staff; appointed June 21, 1861; must. out Jan., 1862; reappointed A. A. surg. U.S.A., Feb., 1862; must. out and reappointed surg., 2d La. Cav., May, 1864; disch. July 24, 1865.
Cooper, Thomas Wallis, 1st lieut., 7th Inf., Co. B; enl. April 19, 1861; pro. to 2d lieut.; died at St. Louis, Oct. 31, 1861.
Cooper, Frederick, 2d lieut., 4th Mo. Cav., Co. F; enl. Dec. 24, 1861, three years; served as vol. aide-de-camp; commissioned 2d lieut.; disch. July 19, 1862.
Cooper, Benjamin A., private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 27, 1864, one year.
Conner, Theodore, corporal, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 7, 1862, three years; pro. in August, 1863; wounded at Chancellorsville; disch. June 5, 1865.
Coryell, Edward, private, 86th Inf., Co. C; enl. Nov. 5, 1861, three years.
Cornell, Wm. Harrison, sergt. 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years.
Courtwright, John, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. Dec. 23, 1863, three years.
Cowley, Bernard, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug, 1862, three years.
Cowley, Michael, 1st sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; pro. to 1st sergt., Jan, 1863; disch. June 5, 1865.
Creamer, Roscoe D., 16th V. R. Corps; enl. Aug. 5, 1864, three years.
Dill, John H., 16th V. R. Corps; enl. Aug. 5, 1864, three years.
Dodge, Leonard Lorycer, private, 112th Inf., Co. C; enl. Sept. 5, 1864, one year; killed at Fort Fisher.
Dorman, Eugene C., private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. March 15, 1865, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Duval, Abram, 50th Eng.; enl. Dec. 19, 1863, three years.
Edwards, Samuel P., 16th V.R. Corps; enl. July 27, 1864, three years.
Elwell, Thomas A., 8th H. Art.; enl. Dec. 29, 1863, three years.
Emory, George Washington, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. March 19, 1864, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Erwin, William Wilberforce, 1st lieut., 74th Inf., Co. K; enl. May 22, 1861, three years; sun-struck June 5, 1862; resigned on surg.-general's certific. of these injuries, Nov. 4, 1862.
Erwin, De Witt Clinton, 2d sergt., 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 30, 1862, three years; pro. to 2d sergt.; disch. June 13, 1865.
Evans, Charles Ernest, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 21, 1862, three years; disch. Nov. 14, 1862, disability.
Foster, homer B., musician, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years.
Fox, William Freeman, lieut.-col. 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 29, 1862, three years; pro. to major, Feb. 3, 1863; to lieut.-col., Sept. 5, 1863; wounded at the battle of Antietam; in left knee at Chancellorsville, and again in arm at Resaca; disch. in consequence.
Fox, Charles James, major, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 29, 1862, three years; pro. to captain, Feb. 3, 1863; to major, Sept. 27, 1864; disch. June 5, '65.
Fox, Norman, Jr., chaplain, 77th Inf.; must. Dec. 1, 1862, three years; disch. Dec. 13, 1865.
Freeling, Thomas, must. Dec. 16, 1864, three years; sub. for Alvah Bronson.
Furgison, Michael, 179th Inf.; enl. Aug. 6, 1864, three years.
Gilbert, Henry Erwin, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. Sept. 23, 1861, three years; died of congestion of the lungs, Dec. 1, 1861.
Golden, Charles, corporal, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; disch. June 5, 1865.
Goodno, Ira A., enl. Dec. 29, 1863, three years; sub. for Patrick Cowley.
Hale, James Lenson, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 30, 1862, three years; pro. to artificer, Dec., 1862; wounded in back by a spent ball, before Fredericksburg, Dec. 11, 1862; disch. June 13, 1865.
Hadden, Joseph, 16th V.R. corps; enl. July 30, 1865, three years.
Horner, Thomas, sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; pro. to sergt., Nov., 1862; disch. June 5, 1865.
Houghtailing, William, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. C; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years; pro. to artificer; disch. June 13, 1865.
Jennings, William Wallace, private, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug. 19, 1862, three years; disch. June 20, 1865.
Jordan, Townsend Bartlett, private, 20th N.Y. Ind. Bat.; enl. March 15, 1861, three years; disch. Aug. 5, 1865.
Kirkland, James, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 18, 1862, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Knight, John, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Sept. 19, 1863, three years; pro. to artificer, July 1, 1864, disch. June 30, 1865.
Knight, Lemuel Crater, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Dec. 19, 1863, three years; pro. to artificer, July 1, 1864; disch. June 30, 1865.
Lewis, Jesse B., color-sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 3, 1862, three years; pro. to color-sergt.; disch. for disability, Feb. 10, 1863; re-enl. Dec. 20, 1863, 50th Eng., Co. A, three years; pro. to artificer and corporal; disch. June 13, 1865.
Lewis, Solomon, private, 2d Cav., Co. E; enl. Dec. 20, 1863, three years; disch. July, 1865.
Lewis, Alonso, corporal, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 6, 1862, three years; since killed in a lumber establishment.
Manley, Jerome, 1st lieut., 6th Cav.; enl. Oct. 3, 1861, two years; pro. to 1st sergt., March, 1862; disch. for re-enl. Dec. 15, 1863.
Mann, Reuben T., 8th U.S. Col. Inf.; drafted July 2, 1863, three years.
Mathias, Francis, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 27, 1862, three years; wounded in right forearm at Dallas, May 26, 1864; disch. for disability, Jan. 27, 1865.
Mathias, Louis, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. Dec. 23, 1863, three years; shot in both knees, March 16, 1865; legs amputated and died in consequence, May 6, 1865.
May, Anthony, enl. Aug. 28, 1863, three years; sub. for Lenhart May.
Mayo, Thomas, corporal, 14th Inf., Co. E; enl. June 12, 1861, two years; pro. to corporal, Dec. 1862; disch. June 30, 1863.
McCanne, Henry, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. May 6, 1861, two years; disch. May 16, 1863; re-enl. 107th Inf., Co. C, Jan. 5, 1864, three years; trans. to 60th Inf.; disch. Aug., 1865.
McGrath, Michael Healy, major, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 6, 1862, three years; pro. to captain, Co. F, Nov. 14, 1862; brevetted major, June 10, 1865; wounded slightly in left knee, June 5, 1863, at Deep Run; disch. June 13, 1865.
McHenry, Matthew A., artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Sept., 1862, three years.
McIntosh, Parker, private, 23d Inf., Co. C; enl. April, 1861, two years; must. out May, 1863; re-enl. Jan. 23, 1865, one year.
McIntosh, Schuyler, corporal, 79th Inf.; enl. Sept., 1861; disch. for disability, July, 1862; re-enl.
McIntosh, James Gay, private, 74th Inf., Co. K; enl. 1861, three years; died of fever.
McIntosh, Alonso, private, 14th H. Art.; enl. Dec. 13, 1863; taken prisoner near Gaines' Farm, Va., June 14, 1864; taken to Libby prison; his father had a letter from him July 1, 1864, since when he has not been heard of or [last line of entry did not print on my copy made from microfiche].
McKean, De la Fletcher, private, 112th Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug. 23, 1854, one year; disch. April 23, 1865.
McKinney, Henry, 107th Inf.; enl. Feb. 29, 1864, three years.
McTigue, Thomas, 86th Inf.; enl. Dec. 31, 1863, three years; re-enl.
Miller, Frank, 50th Eng.; enl. Dec. 22, 1863, three years.
Miller, Newman, 50th Eng.; enl. Jan. 1, 1864, three years.
Millspaugh, Frederick, 16th H. Art.; enl. Dec. 9, 1863, three years.
Minsler, William, 179th Inf.; enl. March 17, 1864, three years.
Moore, William Henry, drum-major, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years; disch. by special order from Sec. Stanton.
Morrison, Benjamin P., 2d Vet. Cav.; enl. Aug. 2, 1864, three years.
Mosher, Albert, enl. Aug. 21, 1863, three years; sub. for George W. Coovert.
Mourhess, Ferril C., 161st Inf.; enl. Dec. 28, 1863, three years.
Myers, Francis, 50th Eng.; enl. March 17, 1865, one year.
Naramore, Daniel Hubbard, private, 74th Inf., Co. K; enl. Sept. 11, 1861, three years; wounded in the head; disch. in consequence.
Neal, David, drafted July 17, 1863, three years.
Northaway, Harlo, private, 10th Cav.; enl. Aug. 22, 1864, three years; disch. June, 1865.
Olmstead, Richard, corporal, 14th Inf., Co. C; enl. March 4, 1862, three years; wounded in the left arm and in the breast at Spottsylvania; disch. March 14, 1865.
Osborn, Lawrence W., corporal, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July, 1862, three years.
Owen, Jas. Clark, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. Sept. 3, 1864, one year; re-enl.
Outerbout, James F., private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 29, 1862, three years; wounded in the foot at Chancellorsville; disch. in consequence.
Pace, Lewis, private, 50th Eng., Co. C; enl. Aug. 31, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Pace, William, private, 50th Eng., Co. C; enl. Aug. 29, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Page, Sylvester Parchust, 1st sergt., 74th Inf., Co. K; enl. Sept. 1, 1861, three years; wounded in the battle of Williamsburg in right knee, May 5, 1862; again in the battle of Gettysburg, in groin; disch. Oct. 11, 1864.
Palmer, Joseph, private, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years.
Paxton, Stephen D., 179th Inf.; enl. March 31, 1864, three years.
Phelps, Nelson O., corporal, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 29, 1862, three years; pro. to corporal, 1864; disch. June 13, 1865.
Pitts, Joseph Theodore, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. Aug. 19, 1861, twenty-one months; disch. June 20, 1863; re-enl. 50th Eng., Co. A, Feb. 17, 1865, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Pitts, James, corporal, 50th Eng.; enl. Jan. 1, 1864, three years; pro. to corp.; disch. June 13, 1865.
Prouty, Lester J., 50th Eng.; enl. Aug. 31, 1864, one year.
Race, Edward, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1863, three years; disch. for disability, Feb. 8, 1864.
Reese, John, 86th Inf.; enl. Dec. 31, 1863, three years; re-enl.
Reilly, George, 16th V.R. corps; enl. July 26, 1864, three years.
Richards, Robert M., artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 30, 1862, three years.
Rose, Rankin B., musician, 86th Inf.; enl. Oct. 12, 1861, three years; disch. March, 1862; re-enl., artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F, Aug. 21, 1862, three years; pro. to artificer; disch. June 13, 1865.
Rose, Mortimer Wilson, musician, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. Oct., 1861, three years; transf. To regt. band, Oct., 1861; disch. in March, 1862; died June 1, 1863, consumption.
Russell, James, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. Sept. 19, 1861, two years; disch. May 22, 1863.
Rumsey, Isaac, 86th Inf.; enl. Feb. 15, 1864, three years.
Russell, David, private, 141st Inf., Co. D; enl. Aug. 21, 1802, three years; disch. July 19, 1865.
Russell, David Halsey, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. May 16, 1861, two years.
Russell, Oliver, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years.
Schuyler, Henry S., 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. Feb. 15, 1863, three years.
Sherwood, Amos W., captain, 86th Inf., Co. I.
Shoff, Peter S., enl. Aug. 27, 1863, three years; sub. for Valentine Miller.
Shultz, John Addison, captain, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug., 1862, three years; pro. to captain, March 14, 1863; in consequence of disease in his limbs, resigned July 31, 1863.
Smith, John Seth, corporal, 5th Cav., Co. B; enl. Aug. 17, 1862, three years; pro. to corporal, Nov. 11, 1862; wounded at Gettysburg, April 6, 1863; taken prisoner and sent to Hagerstown hospital; escaped April 19, 1861; left forearm and hand permanently disabled; disch. April 25, 1864.
Smith, Henry Albert, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 21, 1862, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Smith, Isaiah, private, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. oct. 28, 1864, three years; wounded at second Bull Run; leg amputated and died next day, Sept. 10, 1862.
Sprague, James R., 16th V.R. Corps; enl. Aug. 5, 1864, three years; re-enl.
Stevens, Park, 13th H. Art.; enl. Aug. 23, 1864, one year.
Thomas, Stephen, 86th Inf.; enl. Dec. 20, 1863, three years; re-enl.
Thornton, John, 16th V.R. Corps; enl. Aug. 5, 1864, three years; re-enl.
Tuttle, Hiram B., artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years.
Vastbinder, James M., private, 1st Rifles, Co. E; enl. Aug. 1861, three years; disch. for disab. Dec. 9, 1861.
Walker, Henry, 16th V.R. Corps; enl. Aug. 5, 1864, three years; re-enl.
Ward, Reuben Charles, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 22, 1862, three years; hon. Disch. by special order from President Lincoln; re-enl. 50th Eng., Co. A, March 16, 1864, one year.
Ward, Albert Scott, 3d Sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 15, 1862, three years; pro. to sergt., Feb. 10, 1863; wounded in right leg at Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863; leg amputated below the knee; disch. July 27, 1863.
Ward, Lewis, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Dec. 22, 1863, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Ward, William Carlton, private, 97th Inf., Co. F; drafted July 17, 1863, three years; killed in the second day's fight of the Wilderness.
Wheeler, Richard, 86th Inf.; enl. Dec. 20, 1863, three years; re-enl.
Williams, Alwyn, private, 74th Inf., Co. F; enl. June 1, 1861, three years; transf. to Vet. Res. Corps, June 24, 1863; disch. June 2, 1864.
Williams, Silas, private, 50th Eng.; enl. Aug. 7, 1864, three years.
Wilson, Andrew J., 16th V.R. Corps; enl. July 26, 1864, three years; re-enl.
Winer, Polydore B., 2d Cav.; enl. Dec. 31, 1863, three years.
Wood, Jerry V., 3d sergt., 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; was in the battle at Dallas, carried from the field with typhoid fever, and died the third day after. Not feeling well he had a pass from his officers, but refused to keep out of the fight.
Wood, Stephen Edgar, private, 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Jan. 1, 1864, three years; disch. Aug. 23, 1865; died Sept. 3, 1865.
Wood, Augustus Hazen, sergt., 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Sept., 1861, three years; disch. for re-enl. Dec. 16, 1863, three years; pro. to corporal, July 4, 1864; to sergt., Dec., 1864; disch. Aug. 23, 1865.
Woodruff, Ezra, private, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. Aug. 17, 1861, three years; disch. for re-enl. Jan. 1, 1861; wounded in left thigh at Spottsylvania, May 12, 1864, and disabled for further service; disch. May 11, 1865.
Woodruff, Wilson, private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; wounded at Chancellorsville, and transf. in consequence to V.R. Corps.
Wolcott, David Ferdinand, sergt., 5th Cav.; enl. March 10, 1862, three years; disch. for re-enl. Mar. 13, 1864; pro. to saddle sergt., April 13, 1864; disch. July 19, 1865.
Wright, Fred. A., private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 9, 1862, three years; disch. for disability, 1863.
Wygant, John, private, 23d Inf., Co. D; enl. Sept. 23, 1861, three years.
Yeomans, William Corey, private, 141st Inf., Co. E; enl. Aug. 18, 1862, three years; wounded in left shoulder at battle of Peach-Tree Creek, July 20, 1864; died in consequence, Aug. 20, 1864.
LIVING IN TOWN BUT ENLISTING ELSEWHERE.
Asch, Meyer, colonel, 1st N.J. Cav.; appointed Aug. 1861, three years; pro. to 1st lieut. and adjt., Oct. 1, 1861; to capt. Co. H, March, 1862; appointed aide-de-camp to Maj.-Gen. Pope, July, 1862; with Gen. Pope-1863-in Dept. of the Northwest; Nov. 1863, appointed asst. adjt.-gen. to Gen. T. C. H. Smith, commanding Dist. of Wisconsin; Jan. 7, 1864, asst. adjt.-genl. to Gen. Albert Sully, commanding Dist. of Iowa; Feb. 1864, chief of cavalry, Dept. of the Northwest; March, reported to Cav. Bureau, Washington, D.C.; April, assist. adjt.-gen. to Gen. Kautz, commanding cav., Dept. of James; Oct., taken prisoner in front of Richmond, six months in Libby, Sallsbury, and Danville prisons; March, 1865, appointed colonel, 4th Mo. Vol.; disch. May, 1865.
Barnes, John Dubois, chaplain, 13th Inf., Co. F; enl. May 16, 1861, two years; appointed chaplain, July 4, 1861; res. on account of poor health, Aug. 6, 1862.
Britton, Edward Daniel, corporal, 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Jan. 29, 1864, three years, pro. to corporal, Jan. 1, 1865; disch. Aug. 9, 1865.
Campbell, William Carlos, 1st sergt., 141st Inf., Co. I; enl. Aug. 19, 1862, three years; disch. Feb. 2, 1863, disease of the heart.
Chase, Francis Marion, private, 189th Inf., Co. I; enl. Sept. 9, 1864, one year; disch. June 10, 1865.
Cooper, Levi Cornell, musician, 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Oct. 16, 1861, three years; disch. for re-enl. Dec. 16, 1863, three years; disch. Aug. 23, 1865.
Decker, John C., private, 50th Inf., Co. F.
Dickinson, Edward, private, 20th N.Y. Bat.; enl. Sept. 6, 1864, one year; disch. May 8, 1865.
Erwin, Samuel, private, 37th Inf., N.Y.M., Co. C; disch.
Evritt, Richard Philips, private, 86th Inf., Co. I; enl. March 22, 1862; three years; disch. July 4, 1865.
Fox, George Henry, private, 77th Inf.; enl. Sept. 15, 1864, one year; disch.
Halsey, Monzo De Witt, private, 20th Art., Co. e; enl. Sept. 5, 1861, one year; transf. About Sept. 20, 1864, to 142d Regt., Co. E; wounded in right foot in front of Richmond, Oct. 27, 1864; disch. June 24, 1865.
Kimball, Floyd, private, 188th Inf., Co. F; enl. Sept. 17, 1864, one year; disch. Aug. 11, 1865.
Leman, John Jay, captain, 107th N.Y. Inf., Co. G; com. Sept. 6, 1862; resigned at Atlanta, Oct. 25, 1864.
Lamphire, Alonzo, private, 10th Cav., Co. E; enl. Aug. 27, 1864, one year; disch. June 5, 1865.
Manly, Jerome, 1st lieut., 6th Cav., Co. L; enl. Dec. 16, 1863, three years; pro. to sergt., Dec. 20, 1863; to 1st lieut., Feb. 8, 1864; disch. Nov. 22, 1865.
Pitts, John William, private, 5th Art., Co. C; enl. Jan. 4, 1864, three years; disch. July 31, 1865.
Eagan, John, private, 161st Inf.
Eagan, Jeremiah, private, 1st Pa. Cav., Co. D; enl. July, 1861, three years; disch. June 1, 1864.
Sykes, Lorenzo, corporal, 23d Inf., Co. H; enl. May 16, 1861, two years; pro. to [remainder of entry did not print on my copy made from microfiche].
Teachman, Leander, artificer, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 15, 1861, three years; must. out for re-enl. Dec. 20, 1863, three years; pro. to artificer, 1863; wounded in the mouth in front of Petersburg, at Fort Hell, Aug. 12, 1864; disch. June 13, 1865.
Todd, Eli Gilbert, 1st lieut., 86th Inf., Co. C; enl. Sept. 11, 1861, three years; pro. to corporal, Nov. 27, 1861; to sergt., Aug. 25, 1862; disch. for re-enl. Dec. 31, 1863, three years; pro. to 1st sergt., Aug. 6, 1864; to 1st lieut., Co. C, Sept. 28, 1864; twice slightly wounded; disch. July 5, 1865.
Williams, Alwyn, private, 142d Inf., Co. E; enl. Sept. 5, 1864, one year; wounded in right thigh, Oct. 27, 1864, before Richmond; disch. June 7, 1865.
NAVAL SERVICE RECORD.
Cooper, Theodore, 2d asst. eng., U.S. N.; enl. Sept., 1861; pro. to 2d asst. eng., Sept., 1863; serving as asst. prof. of naval philosophy at Naval Academy, Anapolis, Md.
Curley, Patrick, alias McMannus, fireman, enl. Sept. 1, 1862, one year, De Soto; disch. May, 1864.
Curley, Patrick, alias Hughes, re-enl. July 24, 1864, sloop Juniata, disch. June 3, 1865.
COL. ARTHUR ERWIN.
In this connection it seems proper to record a few of the leading facts in the life of one so prominently identified with the first settlement of this town, and others in the county, as was Col. Arthur Erwin. He came from near the city of Antrim, Ireland, before the Revolution, and settled at Erwinna, Bucks Co., Pa., nearly opposite Frenchtown, N.J. He was a gentleman not only of shrewd business habits and untiring energy, but of culture and affluence. In personal appearance he was dignified, commanding, and affable, and of a kindly and generous disposition. He was the proprietor of a large landed estate, extending some eight or nine miles along the west bank of the Delaware River. During the Revolution he held a commission and served with some distinction in the American army. Soon after the close of the war he made a purchase of nearly five thousand acres of land in the Chemung Valley, near Tioga Point (now Athens), and subsequently, in the years 1789 and 1790 he purchased the town of Erwin and parts of the towns of Canisteo and Hornellsville.
He was twice married, and reared a family of ten children, among whom his sons, Capt. Samuel, Francis, and Maj. Arthur, bore a conspicuous part in the early settlement of this town and county.
In the summer of 1792 he visited his possessions in this vicinity, accompanied by his two sons, Samuel and Francis, who were to remain and superintend his business here. On his return, while stopping at the house of Daniel McDuffe, one of his tenants, near Tioga Point, he was shot, and died within a few hours,-supposed to have been assassinated by an ejected squatter by the name of Thomas.
CAPT. SAMUEL ERWIN.
Capt. Samuel Erwin was born in Erwinna, Bucks Co., Pa., May 4, 1770, where he received the rudiments of an English education at the "select schools." In 1792 he accompanied his father to Painted Post, and remained in charge of his father's large possessions here till 1795 or 1796. On the 10th of January, 1799, he was commissioned by President Adams first lieutenant in the 11th Regiment of United States Infantry, his commission expiring with the President's term of office. President Jefferson [I can't read next eight or nine words from my copy made from microfiche] the 2d Regiment of United States Infantry, and he was subsequently promoted to the rank of captain.
In 1801 he married Miss Rachel Heckman, of Easton, Pa., and removed from thence to Painted Post, in the summer of 1803, where he resided till his death, Nov. 10, 1836. He maintained, throughout his long life, a character for the highest respectability and integrity.
Physically, Capt. Erwin was the ideal settler and pioneer, his height being nearly six and a half feet, and his frame erect and powerful. It is said that for physical vigor and endurance he had no equal in the county, if in Western, New York. In manners he was a graceful gentlemen of the old school, courteous, kind, obliging, careful for the wants of the sick or suffering, and a model of probity in all his social and business relations. "His genial and social qualities have left the most grateful recollections among those who knew him in the intimacies of friendship."
In 1806, Capt. Samuel Irwin and his brother Francis were engaged in mercantile business, and continued selling goods till 1811. From some old papers it appears that Maj. Arthur Erwin was their clerk.
GEN. FRANCIS E. ERWIN.
the second son and third child of Capt. Samuel Erwin and Rachel Heckman, was born in the town of Erwin, Steuben Co., N.Y., May 3, 1803. He is one of a large and intelligent family of ten children who grew to manhood and womanhood. His educational advantages were confined to the common schools of that early day, yet by that untiring energy which has been a prominent characteristic of him through life, he acquired a good practical education. He was reared a farmer, which honorable business, combined with that of lumbering and some minor interests, has continued to be his occupation up to the present time. He has been successful in his financial dealings, and ranks among the solid and representative men of his native town.
Gen. Erwin has been a life-long Democrat of the Jefferson and Jackson school. He is a firm believer in a redeemable currency, or a currency redeemed in coin at the will of the holder.
He has held many positions of trust and responsibility, the duties of which he has always faithfully discharged, and with satisfaction to his constituents. During the years 1838 and 1839 he was supervisor of his town. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1841 and 1842, and served two terms. While in the Legislature he was a member of the Military committee, and during his second term was chairman of the same. The general's friends urged him to be a candidate for the third term, but he declined, preferring the quiet of home to official honors. He married Miss Sophia, daughter of Ansel McCall, of Painted Post, Jan. 23, 1827. She was born Oct. 23, 1806. Of this union, seven children were born in the town of Erwin, five of whom are still living, and are among the most respected citizens of the town or county.
Mrs. Erwin died May 16, 1856. She was a lady highly esteemed for her excellent traits of character, and died regretted by those who knew her. Gen. Erwin has held all the military offices in the State militia, from the rank of corporal to that of general, save that of captain.
ARTHUR H. ERWIN.
son of Capt. Samuel and Rachel H. Erwin, and grandson of Col. Arthur and Mary Erwin, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born in Erwin, Steuben Co., N.Y., Nov. 26, 1805. He was one of a family of nine children, all of whom lived to maturity. His early advantages for an education were chiefly confined to the common school of his town, then known as "Painted Post." When quite a young man he attended an academy at Easton, Pa., and here met Miss Frances M., daughter of William and Rebecca McKeen, his future wife. His boyhood was spent upon his father's farm, and he was also more or less engaged in lumbering. His father was engaged in the mercantile business at Painted Post; hence Arthur also had more or less experience in the business. He was a partner with his father in the store for several years.
He married, Feb. 2, 1828. Of this union twelve children were born. All are living except the youngest, who died when quite young, and De Witt Clinton, who was a solider in the Rebellion in the 50th Engineer Corps, and was honorably discharged, and returned home to the farm, and died Dec. 11, 1873. All of this large family were born in the town of Erwin, and the larger part of the house where the widow and family now reside.
Arthur H. continued in mercantile business till about 1830, when his health compelled him to seek outdoor employment; hence he went on his father's farm and remained about one year, when he returned to Painted Post and resumed his former pursuit, continuing till the winter of 1834, when he settled on the large farm, which continued to be his home till his death, which occurred Aug. 1, 1863. During these years he was engaged in the foundry business under the firm-name, Erwin, Bennett, Brooks & Co. During Mr. Erwin's lifetime he was extensively engaged in lumbering, and was the owner of a steam saw-mill. Like many others of this community, he was engaged as a farmer and lumberman. Mr. Erwin inherited a large portion of his property; and has made great improvements upon his home-farm, which is one of the best in the town. This farm has never gone out of the Erwin family since its first purchase in 1789.
In politics Mr. Erwin was formerly identified with the Whig party, but towards the close of his life he voted the Democratic ticket. He represented his town for eight consecutive years as its supervisor, and was such at the time of his death.
His wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Painted Post, and Mr. Erwin became a member a short time before his death. He was always a friend of education, and gave his children good opportunities for the same. He was a liberal supporter of the different churches of his town, and the poor found in him a friend indeed. He was a good citizen, a kind neighbor, a true and devoted husband, and an affectionate father. His name is held in grateful remembrance by the members of the family. He was buried in the family cemetery in Erwin, three and a half miles west of Painted Post. His widow still survives, and resides at the old home with her son Winfield Scott and three of her daughters.