H O R N B Y.
This page is part of the Tri-County Genealogy Sites by Joyce M. Tice
No Unauthorized Commercial Use May Be Made of This Material
Typed for Tri-County Site by Wilma JOHNS Sakowsky
Clayton, W. Woodford, History of Steuben County, New York: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers, (Philadelphia: Lewis, Peck & Co., 1879 (Philadelphia: Press of J.B. Lippincott)), pp. 313-316.
Hornby was erected from the old town of Painted Post, on the 27th of January, 1826, and was named in honor of John Hornby, an eminant English land-holder. The town of Campbell was taken from it in 1831, and part of it was annexed to Orange, Schuyler Co., April 11, 1842. It lies near the centre of the east border of the county, and has a high, rolling surface, intersected by deep, narrow valleys, chiefly formed by Dry Run and Post and Border Creeks. Border Creek is in the southwest part of the town and flows into the Chemung, while Post Creek, in the south, enters the Chemung opposite Corning. The soil is a clayey and shaly loam of superior quality.
Asa and Uriah Nash, the first settlers in Hornby, settled in 1814 in the north part of the town, called Nash Settlement. Edward Stubbs, Ezra Shaw, Samuel Adams, and Jesse Understood settled in 1815. In the same year Jesse Platt, John Robbins, and Amasa Stanton, settled in the Platt Settlement, in the southwestern part of the town. James S. Gardner, Chester Knowlton and Aden Palmer settled in the Palmer Settlement in 1816. Others came near the same time, among whom were Hiram and Benjamin Gardner, John St. John, Isaac Goodell, Aaron Harwood, John Sayer, and Jacob Goodsell, with his two sons, Daniel W., aged thirty-three, and Henry, aged twenty-eight, each having families.
The first tavern was kept by E. Shaw, in the Underwood District, near the present school-house. A. B. Dickason, who afterwards spelled his name Dickinson, opened the first store on the old homestead about 1824. One of the first settlements as that of Levi, father of Ira Nash, the schoolmaster, near Nash Lake, a bottomless body of spring water, comprising some 60 acres, surrounded by hills and abounding with fish. Nash built a saw-mill at the outlet of the lake. Isaac Goodsell kept the earliest tavern at Hornby Forks.
Lorena A. Hendrick, daughter of Theodore and Charlotte Hendrick, the first white child born in Hornby, was born Jan. 19, 1818.
John Bidler and Lucy A. Platt, the first couple married in Hornby, were married Feb. 2, 1813 or 1814, by William Mulhollen, justice of the peace, and commenced housekeeping on Mead's Creek (now Campbell).
In 1838 the farmers first commenced to break up or plow land. Most of the land was sowed on new fallows with winter wheat, but sometimes with spring wheat and oats. In no case was there a failure of a crop.
To guard against wolves, Hon. A. B. Dickinson in early times built a high fence around a field to preserve his sheep. Wild-cats were numerous, destroying sheep for J. H. Humphreys as late as 1859, and one was killed in 1875.
Mr. St. John, a native of Rutland Co., Vt., came from Otsego at the age of twenty-four years, and located near where he now lives, in 1816, and boarded with his neighbor, Asa Nash, built the log house whose walls are still standing, made a small clearing, and returning brought out Theodore Hendrick, and bought the Nash place. His housekeepers locating for themselves, he again returned to Otsego, bringing his sister, who remained with him until he found a permanent housekeeper, Lucinda, daughter of Ledger Shumway, of Connecticut, and sister of Mrs. Jesse Underwood, whom he married in 1822. Mr. St. John had three daughters, one of whom was the wife of Mr. M. Nichols, Esq., of Bath. Although nearly eighty-seven years of age, he is still in good health and vigor, and well remembers the events of the early days in which he participated. He is the oldest of the early settlers remaining, and one of the few who, living in the land of game and hardy adventure, stuck quietly to his business, and made himself a home, while the early hunters of his day are "hunters" still, though less successful than in days of yore.
At that time a crowd of upwards of 100 would assemble for their annual three days' election and general holiday, when an unusual amount of jollification took place. Wolves levied their tax upon sheep, so that it was almost impossible to keep them. Hogs fattened upon beech-nuts, which were abundant in the woods. Indians were never numerous nor troublesome, through their appearance sometimes did frighten the women. In 1824 they clothed themselves in home-made and home-spun wool and flax, which when made into cloth was taken to the primitive factory to be finished. The nearest store previous to Dickinson's was Bonham's, kept, at the river, by William Bonham, a small, thick-set, slow and easy man, who had the generation reputation of being "a good fellow." Goods were brought from Newburg, on the Hudson, in wagons, and consisted of bake-kettles and skillets, in place of the modern stoves. Ammunition was a heavy item of trade, all the boys having guns of some kind. Tea, coffee, and notions, which were sold in exchange for hides and grains, which were sent down the river in arks, or maple-sugar, which the teamster took North on his way after goods, many families making the greater part of their living from the sap brush. Wheat sold for five shillings and oats one shilling a bushel.
Ferenbaugh's, five and one-half miles from Corning, is in the town of Hornby, in a thickly-settled farming locality, four miles from Hornby Forks, on an old farm first opened by Fredalius Ferenbaugh, in 1826. The first farm on the left, just opposite the creek bridge, is that of Mr. Thomas Oldfield, which was the first settlement between Beaver Dams and Corning. A Mr. Hodge was the pioneer; afterwards came Martin Lane. Samuel Lilly, one of the earliest settlers yet living, resides just above on the same road. He is eighty-five years old, having been born in 1793. William W. Cole and Benjamin Lewis, Jr., were his pioneer companions.
An almost continuous row of farm-houses extends from Mr. Oldfield's along the foot of the hills to the left, surrou8nded by shrubbery and fruit-trees and backed by well-tilled lands, until you pass Benedict Ferenbaugh's, when the hills open to admit the beautiful valley of Post Creek, which is divided by the east line of the town and county.
In 1824, the only building in this valley was the little log house, on the present Oldfield place, and Mr. Samuel Lilly came up the creek in 1822, $300 in debt, with a family of nine children, and opened a claim on the Pulteney estate, paying for it by hard labor, such as only the early pioneers of a heavily-timbered country can realize, clearing 104 acres of timber-land with his own hands. At the time of this entry the country was all a wilderness, with only an occasional small opening, teams going up the creek to Watkins for goods and returning via Horseheads.
When up to Bath to make a payment on his lands, Mr. McCay, the agent, asked of Lilly, "How do you get along for roads?" He answered, "We don't get along at all."
After he had explained the condition of things the agent informed him that if he would open a road, the work thus done should apply on payment for his lands, at the rate of $1 per rod. This report was received with incredulity by his few neighbors, but Mr. Lilly complied, making 180 rods that year which was accepted and applied, and also 89 rods the next year. This road was opened along the valley below high-water mark, and subsequently had to be moved to the foot of the hill. Before this it took two days to go to Corning. Game of all kinds was especially abundant.
The first stage-route was established by A. B. Dickinson and Mr. Seymour, a tavern-keeper in Corning.
Among the early settlers was Isaac Lefevre, who built the first grist-mill in town, and Jane C. Leach, who is credited with having taught the first school. George Stanton was the first male child born in the town. The first death was that of John Stanton.
Alonso Gaylord was also one of the first school-teachers in the town as well as first assessor. He was intimately connected with the development of the town for several years, and much of the early improvement was due to him.
The late Hon. Andrew B. Dickinson became, at a later day, a resident of Hornby, and was perhaps the most remarkable and distinguished man who has ever lived in the town. Major dickinson represented this Senatorial district for four years, and for many years was a leading and influential politician. At the time he was one of the most extensive farmers and stock-growers in this part of the State. Under Mr. Lincoln's administration he was appointed minister to Nicaragua, where he displayed so much diplomatic ability that the government who which he was accredited made particular request, and offered pecuniary inducements, to have him returned. He finally consented, and settled in that country, purchasing a sugar plantation and living upon it until his death, which occurred April 21, 1873.
Owing to the loss of the records of the officers of 1826 is incomplete, but in 1827 there was a vigorous opening of roads, under the administration of Henry Gardner and James W. Holmes. Roads were surveyed from Elijah Robbins', three miles around West Hill; from David Smith's, north, through by John Dickinson's, south and east; three miles east from the county line; and nearly 300 days' work laid out that year.
At the three days' election held at Shaw's tavern, Knowlton's, and Dickinson's store, in 1826, the following officers were elected: Supervisor, A. B. Dickinson; Town Clerk, Josiah Wheat; Collector, Hiam Gardner; Justices of the Peace, Alonso Gaylord, Milo Hurd, Jonathan Fellows; Inspectors of Election, A. B. Dickinson, Josiah Wheat, Alson Pierce, Daniel Clark; Assessors, Alonso Gaylord, ---- ----; Commissioner of Highways, Amasa Stanton; Constable, Hiram Gardner.
LIST OF TOWN OFFICERS.
|1826||And. B. Dickinson.||Josiah Wheat.||Henry Gardner.|
|1827||Rice Nash.||" "||William Stewart.|
|1828||And. B. Dickinson.||" "||Pliny Cobb.|
|1829||" "||" "||" "|
|1830||Daniel Clark.||" "||Mile Hurd.|
|1831||" "||" "||" "|
|1832||And. B. Dickinson.||Jonathan Kimball.||Alanson Gibbs.|
|1833||" "||Josiah Wheat.||" "|
|1834||" "||" "||" "|
|1835||" "||" "||" "|
|1836||" "||" "||" "|
|1837||" "||" "||James Warrick.|
|1838||W. H. Gaylord.||" "||" "|
|1839||Amasa Stanton.||" "||O. D. Chatfield.|
|1840||" "||Henry Gardner.||John H. Gardner.|
|1841||" "||" "||" "|
|1842||David Smith.||Lyman C. Wheat.||Lemuel Wellman.|
|1843||" "||" "||" "|
|1844||" "||John F. Stanton.||" "|
|1845||Flavel W. Morrow.||" "||Elijah S. Hill.|
|1846||Peter Rhoda.||Philo Campbell.||John M. Bixby.|
|1847||" "||Darius Wellman.|
|1848||Willis H. Gaylord.||F. W. Morrow.||Darius L. Wellman|
|1849||F. W. Morrow.||D. D. Slauson.||Clark L. Smith.|
|1850||John T. Stanton.||" "||O. L. Underwood.|
|1851||Peter Covenhoven.||" "||Darias L. Wellman.|
|1852||" "||Samuel O. Masters.||Russel Wellman.|
|1853||John T. Stanton.||J. M. Bixby.||" "|
|1854||F. W. Morrow||J. M. Bixby||Russel Wellman.|
|1855||Wm. A. Armstrong.||Nial Gardner.||Orlando F. Rhoda.|
|1856||F. W. Morrow.||S. O. Masters.||Frank O. St. John.|
|1857||" "||Nial Gardner.||Charles G. Rogers.|
|1858||" "||D. L. Wheat.||" "|
|1859||George Adams.||J. Roof, Jr.||Philander Wellman.|
|1860||" "||John J. Hasen.||Charles G. Rogers|
|1861||N. B. Stanton.||" "||O. L. Underwood.|
|1862||" "||Michael H. Sands.||Silas Masters.|
|1863||" "||" "||And. J. Henrick.|
|1864||" "||Joseph D. Gilbert.||" "|
|1865||J. H. Ferenbaugh.||G. J. Murphy.||Philander Wellman.|
|1866||A-- Eddy.||Henry F. Harrison.||" "|
|1867||" "||John B. Smith.||Charles G. Rogers.|
|1868||Jas. B. Humphrey.||J. W. Dickinson.||George V. Whiting.|
|1869||Saml. Easterbrooks.||Myron A. Eddy.||Aug. J. Hathaway.|
|1870||" "||John Pitts.||P. H. Wellman.|
|1871||J. H. Ferenbaugh.||" "||David N. Lane.|
|1872||" "||L. J. Stanton.||M. J. Harrison.|
|1873||J. H. Ferenbaugh.||Peter D. Rogers.||M. J. Harrison.|
|1874||Saml. Easterbrooks.||Isaac N. Green.||L. G. Stanton.|
|1875||" "||Myron A. Eddy.||Richard H. Rogers.|
|1876||Samuel C. Erwin.||Frank Sands.||P. H. Wellman.|
|1877||" "||" "||" "|
|1878||Alfred Roloson.||Henry Wheat.||David N. Lane.|
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|1851.||Alexander H. Swartwout.|
|1855.||A. H. Swartwout.|
E. B. Hungerford.
|1858.||A. H. Swartwout.|
|1859.||C. F. Benjamin.|
|1836.||David Smith.||1861.||John Ferenbaugh.|
|1863.||Joseph S. Chapin.|
|1864.||Isaac P. Goodsell.
|1839.||Ambrose Pond.||1865.||C. G. Wheat.|
|1840.||David Smith.||1866.||William Hamilton.|
|1841.||Simeon R. Kingsford.
John T. Stanton.
|1867.||Richard V. Van Vasen.|
|1868.||John H. Ferenbaugh.|
|1869.||C. G. Wheat.|
|1843.||Paranach Haradon.||1870.||G. J. Murphy.|
|1871.||C. L. Smith.|
|1872.||Willis S. Lilly.|
|1845.||Ambrose Pond.||1873.||Charles G. Rogers.
D. L. Wellman.
|1846.||C. D. Thomas.||1874.||H. W.
|1848.||Paranach Haradon.||1875.||Clark L. Smith.
Geo. J. Murphy.
H. W. Stephens.
The village of Hornby contains some thirty residences, two stores, a shingle-mill, shingle- and saw-mill, three blacksmith-shops, two wagon-shops, two shoe-shops, a turning- and rake-factory, a school-house, two churches, and the only post-office in the town.
Armstrong's Mills, on Cutler Creek, a saw- and grist-mill, comprises a small hamlet, a mile above which is the Wesleyan church. Ferenbaugh's, on Post Creek, consists of several residences, saw-mill, blacksmith- and wagon-shop, and school-house, and is a flag station on the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railroad, which passes through the southeast corner of the town.
The regular Baptist Church of Hornby first met on West Hill, in Robins' Settlement, and on Mead's Creek; Rev. Mr. Stone moving from Campbell to Hornby between 1824 and 1830, and holding meetings at both places.
Amasa Stanton and Dyer Wentworth were the first deacons. Revs. Bebee, Coriel, and Sheardown succeeded. About 1838 the churches formed two separate societies, and about two years after the Hornby society entered their new church at Hornby Forks. Amasa Stanton and Jacob Underwood were the trustees of the new church; Rev. Mr. Coriell preaching in it first. Rev. Ray G. Lewis succeeded, dying at his charge, March 29, 1851, at the age of fifty-two years. He was buried in the Goodsell Cemetery, near the scene of his labors. Then succeeded Revs. Parker, William Birdsley, Rev. Sanderson, Rev. William Sharp; 1860, Rev. W. W. Beardslee; 1862, Rev. P. P. Sanderson; 1864, Rev. F. O. Surbridge; 1866, Rev. Isaac Easterbrook; 1869, Rev. R. Corbit; 1871, Rev. W. C. Larned; 1873, Rev. S. D. Ross; 1876, Rev. Benjamin Hughes, B. P. Matthews.
The present officers of the church are: Clerk and Moderator, Josiah Easterbrooks; Trustees, John Adams, George Adams; Treasurer, George Adams; Deacons, John St. John, George Adams, Benjamin Borhees.
September 14, 1831, a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Bath to form a church in the town of Hornby met at the Knowlton school-house. Rev. B. B. Smith delivered a sermon, and 21 candidates were organized into a church. Josiah Wheat was made clerk, and Francis Northway, Josiah Wheat, and Sampson Bixby chosen elders. Thirteen more candidates were admitted November 20. Meetings were held at Chester Knowlton's house. The pastors were: in 1838, Rev. D. B. Butts; 1839, Rev. John Gray; 1847, Rev. P. L. De Home; 1854, Rev. Wm. R. Downs; 1856, Rev. John Gray; 1866, Rev. Mr. Chapman; 1869, Rev. J. G. Butler. Elders: 1838, Henry Gardner; 1852, Daniel D. Slawson; 1854, S. R. Hungerford, D. L. Wheat; 1858, C. G. Wheat; 1864, Andrew Hyslip. Among the first members were found the names of Haradon, Gibbs, Jennings, Gardner, Rockwell, Harrison, Cross, and Palmer. In March, 1851, definite steps were taken towards building a church, and Marcus Gaylord, Henry Gardner, S. R. Hungerford, D. L. Wheat, and D. D. Stanton were chosen trustees, and a substantial building erected the ensuing year. The present trustees are Charles Wheat, Alexander Steward, and Henry F. Harrison.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
organized a class at Mr. Abel R. Palmer's, under the preaching of Rev. James Hall, in 1828. Sylvester Brooks was class-leader until his removal from the place in 1838, when he was succeeded by Levi Coy. A division of sentiment occurring in the Methodist Episcopal Church, the organization of the Wesleyans in 1843, many of the members went over to that organization, thus reducing this church to but a very few members. After a short time E. P. Carr was leading a class under the preaching of Rev. Joseph Chapman. About 1863 the church was reorganized under the leadership of Rev. A. H. Shurtliff, with Alexander P. McCabe as class-leader, who was succeeded by Joseph Chapin and William Stevens, the present leader. Meetings were held at Mr. Palmer's and D. W. Goodsell's for several years. When the church reorganized they held meetings in the Baptist house until the Presbyterians tendered them the use of their house. Among the earliest members were Mr. John Chambers and wife, John Bixby and wife, Lemuel Wellman, James Roe and wife, Daniel Goodsell, and Henry Fero and wife. There are now about 45 members. The present officers are: Pastor, Rev. A. S. Gould; Stewards, S. P. Goodsell, A. G. Coyle; Class-Leader, William Stevens.
THE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH,
organized in 1843, drew largely from the Methodist Episcopal Church in this place, taking all but 8 or 9 of its 40 members. The first officers were: Pastors, Rev. Simeon Hall, Rev. P. A. Johnson, alternates; Class-Leader, A. Bixby; Stewards, W. Pierce, H. W. Bixby, Lemuel Wellman; Licentiates, John Bixby, Leander Pond. The organization toook place with a revival, and above 40 members were gathered in, among whom were Darius Whitney, Sidney Ellsworth, Daniel Pierce and wife, Abram Whitney and wife, and Daniel Bixby and wife.
Former pastors: 1844-46, Rev. John Kitchell, Rev. S. Philips; 1847-48, Leander Pond, licentiate; 1849-50, no pastor; 1851-53, Rev. Peter Slauson; 1854-56, Rev. Wm. S. May; 1857-58, Rev. D. E. Baker; 1862-64, H. W. Bixby, licentiate; 1865-66, Rev. T. W. Reed, who was succeeded by the present pastor.
Meeting were held first in the Knowlton school-house, and then at Hornby Forks, until 1851, when, in consideration of aid extended by this society to build the Presbyterian church, it was occupied by them on alternate Sundays. Several years after they left the church and held services in school-houses, their numbers declining, and being for some time without a pastor.
On the 4th of March, 1877, Rev. L. N. Stratton officiating, the Westleyans dedicated their first church, at Shady Grove, on Cutler Creek, at a paid-up expense of $1200. The present officers are: Pastor, Rev. Henry W. Bixby; Leader, H. T. Jimerson; Stewards, C. G. Rogers, H. P. Fero, M. L. Baker, Mrs. R. K. Hays, Miss L. Bixby; Trustees, H. W. Bixby, E. B. Rolfe, J. N. Henry; Licentiates, D. Bixby, L. Horys; Church Clerk, G. W. Bixby. The present membership numbers 43.
MILITARY RECORD OF HORNBY.
Goodsell, Sylvenus John, private, 50th Eng., Co. B.; enl. Sept. 9, 1861, three years; pro. to artifice, Oct. 22, 1861; disch. March 3, 1863, for disab.; re-enl. 50th Eng., Co. D, Dec. 25, 1863; three years; pro. to artificer, April 10, 1864; to corp., Nov. 1, 1864; disch. June 13, 1865.
Hathaway, Augustus Jeremiah, private, 50th Eng., Co. A; enl. Aug. 27, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Clark, Henry Silas, private, 86th Inf., Co. C; enl. Nov. 18, 1861, one year; disch. Feb. 12, 1863, for disab. re-enl. 15th Eng., Co. F, Sept. 22, 1864, one year; pro. to artificer, Nov. 1, 1864; disch. June 13, 1865.
Bixby, Rufus Galusha, private, 50th Eng., Co. B; enl. Aug. 29, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Goodsell, William Levi, private, 50th Eng., Co. D; enl. Aug. 19, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Lane, David Nelson, private, 14th U.S. Inf., Co. B; enl. Feb 23, 1862, three years; disch. May 8, 1862, for disab.; re-enl. 50th Eng., Co. D, Aug. 17, 1864, one year; pro. to artificer, Nov. 1, 1864; disch. June 13, 1865.
Humphrey, William Wallace, priv., 188th Inf., Co. F; enl. Sept. 10. 1864, one year; pro. To corp., Oct. 10, 1864; disch. May 31, 1865, on acc. of wounds.
Snow, Geo. Simpson, private, 15th Eng., Co. F.; enl. Sept. 13, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Ely, Martin William, private, 107th Inf., Co. I; enl. Aug. 7, 1862, three years; disch. May, 1863; died at home of consumption contracted in the service, July 21, 1863.
Harrison, Wm. Nelson, priv. 10th Cav., Co. H; enl. Oct. 28, 1861, three years; pro. to corp. Feb. 1862; must. out at exp. of service.
Kirkendall, Alonso, private, 50th Eng., Co. G; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; disch. June 27, 1865.
Wheaton, Daniel, private, 50th Eng., Co. G; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; died in the service, March 11, 1864, at Washington, of measles.
St. Germain, John, private, 15th Cav., Co. F; enl. Aug. 26, 1863, three years; drafted; enl. before notified, taken pris. May, 1864, near Newtown, and has not been heard from since.
Van Ortwick, Geo. W., private, 15th Eng., Co. F; enl. Sept. 3, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Burnap, Tracy, private, 5th Cav., Co. B; enl. Aug 11, 1862, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Swartwout, Clayton, private, 9th Art., Co. F; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; disch. Sept. 25. 1865.
Leavenworth, Lyman Bixby, private, 9th Art., Co. F; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; wounded in right leg at Cedar Creek, Va.; disch. June 6, 1865, on surg. Certificate.
Burnap, George, private, 50th Eng., Co. G; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; died of fever, November 3, 1864; buried in Hornby.
Monday, Wm. Harvey, private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 29, 1863, three years; disch. June 13, 1865.
Velle, William D., private, 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. Aug. 1862, three years; disch. Feb. 28, 1863, for disability.
Stanton, Lawson Jay, corp., 86th Inf., Co. C; enl. October 19, 1861, three years; disch. October 22, 1864, at exp. of term.
Jaynes, Albert Munson, private, 107th Inf., Co. I; enl. Aug. 8, 1862, three years; died at Frederick, Md., Feb. 1863, of typhoid fever.
Simons, Henry, enl. Aug. 8, 1864, one year; disch. June 25, 1865.
Scott, Jonathan, one year; killed in front of Petersburg; buried in Livingston Co., N.Y.
Remington, Washington B., private, 9th Art., Co. F; enl. Jan. 1, 1864, three years; disch. Oct. 9, 1865.
Lilly, Willis S., sergt., 188th Inf., Co. F; enl. Sept. 16, 1864, one year; disch. July 1, 1865.
Butler, Thomas, private, 15th Eng., Co. M; enl. Sept. 9, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Randall, Alonso, private, 50th Eng., Co. G; enl. Aug. 24, 1861, three years; disch. Sept. 21, 1864, at exp. of term.
Lashure, James H., private, 188th Inf., Co. F; enl. Sept. 12, 1864, one year; disch. July 1, 1865.
Ensling, Wm. Harrison, private, 86th Inf., Co. C; enl. Oct. 18, 1861, three years; disch. Dec. 2, 1863; re-enl. 86th Inf., Co. C, Dec. 3, 1863, three years; disch. June 25, 1865.
Southard, William, private, 97th Inf., Co. B; drafted July 17, 1863; disch. Aug. 5, 1865.
Duvall, Albert, Jr., private, 9th Art., Co. F; enl. Jan. 1, 1864, three years; disch. Sept. 29, 1865, by order 220 of the War Department.
Covenhoven, Peter, drafted, July 17, 1863; disch. Aug. 5, 1865, by general order No. 2, of War Department.
Culver, Wm. Henry, private, 50th Eng. Co. F; enl. Aug. 20, 1862, three years; disch. June 21, 1865.
Hilton, Sylvester B., private, 50th Eng., Co. F; enl. Aug. 31, 1862, three years; disch. June 27, 1865.
Taylor, Ebenezer Ovid, private, 35th Inf., Co. F; enl. May 15, 1861, two years; wounded at Fredericksburg; disch. May 15, 1863, at exp. of term.
Henderson, Alexander, private, 141st Inf., Co. B; enl. Aug. 21, 1862, three years; disch. June 24, 1865.
Wasson, John, private, 89th Inf., Co. A; enl. Oct. 14, 1861, three years; wounded at Antietam; disch. Oct. 21, 1864, at exp. of term.
Harriage, Myron James, private, 141st Inf., Co. B; enl. Aug. 21, 1862; three years; disch. June 23, 1865.
Scott, John D., private, 50th Eng., Co. D; enl. Aug. 20, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Ward, John Rollin, private, 50th Eng., Co. K; enl. Aug. 20, 1864, three years; disch. June 20, 1865.
Randall, Joseph Thompson, private, 50th Eng., Co. G; enl. Dec. 25, 1863, three years; disch. June 20, 1865.
Lamphere, Alonzo M., private, 10th Cav., Co. E; enl. Aug. 27, 1864, one year; disch. June 5, 1865.
Sands, William D., corp. 107th Inf., Co. C; enl. July 20, 1862, three years; disch. June 17, 1865.
Morrow, James Humphrey, private, 50th Eng., Co. D; enl. Aug. 25, 1864, one year; disch. June 13, 1865.
Green, Freeman, corp. 86th N.Y. Inf., Co. C; enl. Sept. 9, 1861, three years; died March, 1862, near Washington.
Clark, Francis E., private, 96th N.Y. Inf., Co. C; enl. Sept. 19, 1861; three years; re-enl. same regt. and co., Dec. 31, 1863; pro. to corp.
Pond, Leander, private, 107th N.Y. Vols., Co. B; enl. June 21, 1862, three years; died in the service.
Pond, Ambrose, private, 50th N.Y. Eng., Co. F; enl. Dec. 1863; died in the service at Baltimore.
Leavenworth, John R., private, 107th N.Y. Vols. Co. I; enl. June 21, 1862; must. out by general order.
Ladus, Daniel, private, 50th N.Y. Eng.; enl. 1861; must. out by general order.