This page is part of the Tri-County Genealogy Sites by Joyce M. Tice
No Unauthorized Commercial Use May Be Made of This Material
Clayton, W. Woodford, History
of Steuben County, New York: with illustrations and biographical sketches
of some of its prominent men and pioneers, (Philadelphia: Lewis, Peck
& Co., 1879 (Philadelphia: Press of J.B. Lippincott)), pp. 323-336.
TOWN OF HORNELLSVILLE.
The town of Hornellsville was formed from Canisteo, April 1, 1820, and embraced, in addition to the present territory, the town of Hartsville and part of the town of Freemont. Hartsville was taken off in 1844, and part of Freemont in 1854.
The first town-meeting in and for the town of Hornellsville was held on the first Tuesday in March, 1821, at the home of Martha Hornell, then occupied by Peter Reynolds, when the following town officers were elected; Ira Davenport, Supervisor; John R. Stephens, Town Clerk; John Harlbut, George Hornell, James Harding, Assessors; Wm. B. Bostwick, Collector; Elijah Stephens, Stephen Webb, Poormasters; Stephen Coon, Asa Upson, Samuel Harding, Commissioners of Highways; Christopher Harlbut, Arvin Kennedy, George Hornell, Inspectors of Schools; James Taggart, William Stephens, Amos Graves, School Commissioners; Wm. B. Bostwick, David Whitney, Wm. Webb, Constables; Amasa Thacher, Justus Harding, William Stephens, Jr., Fence-Viewers.
In April an election was held to elect two members of Congress for the Twentieth Congressional District, resulting as follows: Wm. B. Rochester, 35 votes; David Woodcock, 31 votes; Sherman Camp, 38 votes; Jonathan Richmond, 34 votes. At the same meeting to elect members of Assembly for the counties of Steuben and Allegany, the result was as follows: Asa Lee Davidson, 38 votes; Wm. Woods, 39 votes; Amos Peabody, 25 votes; Grattan H. Wheeler, 25 votes.
LIST OF TOWN OFFICERS.
|1821.||Ira Davenport.||John R. Stephens.||Wm. B. Bostwick.|
|1822.||Ira Davenport.||John R. Stephens.||Truman Bostwick.|
|1823.||John R. Stephens.||George Hornell.||James Taggart.|
|1824.||John R. Stephens.||Samuel Thacher.||Truman Bostwick.|
|1825.||John R. Stephens.||Wm. Stephens, Jr.||Truman Bostwick.|
|1826.||Maj. Thos. Bennett.||Otis Thacher.||Truman Bostwick.|
|1827.||Maj. Thos. Bennett.||Otis Thacher.||Stephen Webb, Jr.|
|1828.||Jas. McBurney.||Otis Thacher.||Stephen Webb, Jr.|
|1829.||Jas. McBurney.||Augustus Newell.||John R. Stephens.|
|1830.||Jas. McBurney.||Thos. Bennett.||John R. Stephens.|
|1831.||Jas. McBurney.||John Morris.||Charles Lefferts.|
|1832.||James Dyke.||John R. Morris.||Erastus Lewis.|
|1833.||James Dyke.||Thos. J. Reynolds.||Andrew Morris.|
|1834.||Jas. McBurney.||Martin Adsit.||Daniel McAlmont.|
|1835.||Jas. McBurney.||Martin Adsit.||Daniel McAlmont.|
|1836.||Ira Davenport||Martin Adsit.||Daniel McAlmont.|
|1837.||Ira Davenport||Martin Adsit.||Asher C. Smith.|
|1838.||Ira Davenport||Martin Adsit.||Wm. D. Burdick.|
|1839.||Ira Davenport||Martin Adsit.||Wm. D. Burdick.|
|1840.||Hugh Magee.||Chas. Lefferts.||Vincent Stephens.|
|1841.||Hugh Magee.||Andy L. Smith, Jr.||Vincent Stephens.|
|1842.||John R. Morris.||Hiram Bennett.||John Burdew.|
|1843.||John R. Morris.||Hiram Bennett.||Philip Van Scoter.|
|1844.||John R. Morris.||Hiram Bennett.||Philip Van Scoter.|
|1845.||Thos. Major.||Rufus Tuttle.||Elias Ayers.|
|1846.||Thos. Major.||Andy L. Smith, Jr.||Elias Ayers.|
|1847.||Thos. Major.||Rufus Tuttle.||Wm. H. Doty.|
|1848.||Martin Adsit.||Daniel Bullard.||Wm. H. Doty.|
|1849.||Aaron Morris.||Wm. H. Doty.||Daniel Haas.|
|1850.||Aaron Morris.||Nath. Blaksley.||Daniel Haas.|
|1851.||Elisha G. Stevens.||Nath. Blaksley.||Fred E. Rogers.|
|1852.||Elisha G. Stevens.||Nath. Blaksley.||Fred E. Rogers.|
|1853.||Wm. Bennett.||Marcus E. Brown.||Wm. H. Doty.|
|1854.||Wm. Bennett.||Marcus E. Brown.||Philip Van Scoter.|
|1855.||Lewis D. Benton.||Marcus E. Brown.||Rufus E. Holmes.|
|1856.||Marcus E. Brown.||Chas. E. Baldwin.||Rufus E. Holmes.|
|1857.||Marcus E. Brown.||Nathan Nichols.||Charles Major.|
|1858.||Alanson Stephens.||Miles W. Hawley.||James McWooliver.|
|1859.||Alanson Stephens.||Theodore Badger.||James McWooliver.|
|1860.||Philip Van Scoter.||Nathan Nichols.||John A. Major.|
|1861.||Philip VanScoter.||Joseph Lamphear.||Elijah Cone.|
|1862.||J. H. Stephens, Jr.||Chas. C. Reynolds.||Elijah Cone.|
|1863.||J. H. Stephens, Jr.||Elmon D. Smith.||Henry F. Howard.|
|1864.||J. H. Stephens, Jr.||Peter P. Houck.||Henry F. Howard|
|1865.||John A. Major.||Mr. W. Hawley.||Henry F. Howard.|
|1866.||John A. Major.||Mr. W. Hawley.||Henry F. Howard.|
|1867.||Chas. F. Smith.||Mr. W. Hawley.||Henry F. Howard.|
|1868.||J. W. Robinson.||Mr. W. Hawley.||Henry F. Howard.|
|1869.||Arza P. Breese.||Mr. W. Hawley.||John A. Farnham.|
|1870.||John McDougall.||Mr. W. Hawley.||John A. Farnham.|
|1871.||John McDougall.||Mr. W. Hawley.||John A. Farnham.|
|1872.||John McDougall.||Mr. W. Hawley.||John A. Farnham.|
|1873.||Walter G. Rose.||Wm. H. Greenhow.||John A. Farnham.|
|1874.||Walter G. Rose.||Wm. H. Greenhow.||William Dickey.|
|1875.||Miles W. Hawley.||Wm. H. Greenhow.||Thomas Morrissay.|
|1876.||Miles W. Hawley.||Wm. H. Greenhow.||Wm. H. Harris.|
|1877.||Miles W. Hawley.||Wm. H. Greenhow.||G. F. Burlingham.|
|1878.||S. N. Shattnek.||Joseph Cameron.||A. B. Crockett.|
JUSTICES ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE.
|----.||John Pitts.||1853.||James Atley.|
|1830.||Jabesh Lamphear.||1854.||Hiram Bennett.|
|1831.||John R. Stephens.||1855.||Homer Holliday.|
|1832.||Ephraim Wood.||1856.||John Hurlbut.|
|1833.||Charles N. Hart.||1857.||John M. Wisewell.|
|1834.||John Baldwin.||1858.||Richard C. Major.|
|1835.||Stephen Abbott.||1859.||Homer Holliday.|
|1836.||Dexter Straight.||1860.||John Hurlbut.|
|1837.||Chas. N. Hart.||1861.||Hiram Bennett.|
|1838.||John Baldwin.||1862.||William W. Osgoodby.|
|1838.||John Pitts.*||1863.||Homer Holliday.|
|1839.||John Pitts.||1864.||James McWoolever.|
|David Crandall.*||1865.||Hiram Bennett.|
|1840.||David Crandall.||F. Colegrove.*|
|1841.||Charles Lefferts.||1866.||S. M. Thacher.|
|1842.||Elisha G. Stephens.||S. D. Pitts.*|
|Israel Adams.*||1867.||Stephen F. Gilbert.|
|1843.||Sidney Frisbie.||1868.||Homer Holliday.|
|1844.||John Pitts.||1869.||Rodney Dennis.|
|Nathaniel Finch.*||Henry Howard.*|
|1845.||Hiram Bennett.||1870.||Charles E. Beard.|
|1846.||Benjamin T. Hoyes.||1871.||H. F. Howard.|
|1847.||Ethan Coats.||1872.||Martin V. Doty.|
|Andrew Morris.*||1873.||Homer Holliday.|
|1848.||John Hurlbut.||1874.||C. E. Beard.|
|Nathaniel Finch.*||1875.||H. F. Howard.|
|1849.||Nathaniel Finch.||1876.||Orson Mosher.|
|1850.||Hiram Bennett.||1877.||Edwin J. Cox.|
|1851.||Andrew Morris.||1878.||Henry L. Walker.|
|1852.||William E. Haight.|
VILLAGE OF HORNELLSVILLE.
The village of Hornellsville is situated in the upper Canisteo Valley, and at the intersection of the Buffalo division with the main line of the Erie Railway. Its railroad facilities and advantages for manufacturing and commercial interests are second to no other place in the county. Hornellsville is distant from New York three hundred and thirty-five miles, from Dunkirk one hundred and twenty-eight miles, from Buffalo ninety-one miles, and from Corning forty-one miles. The population of the village has rapidly increased during the past decade, and is at present estimated at between 7000 and 8000.
The history of the growth of this village from a rural hamlet presents a long period of prosperity and general improvement. But the period of its rapid growth began with the constructon of the New York and Erie Railway. In 1832 the Legislature passed an act chartering this company to build a railroad from some point on the Hudson River, through the southern tier of counties by way of Owego, to some point on Lake Erie. The route through this county was left undetermined. There was no clause in the bill compelling the company to construct the road by the way of Hornellsville, and the only sure thing was that it would go through the county somewhere, and perhaps up the valley of the Canisteo. Great anxiety prevailed, and when, at last, through the exertions of influential citizens, prominent among whom may be mentioned Hugh Magee, the late Judge Hawley, James McBurney, Charles N. Hart, Martin Adsit and others, the engineer decided to locate the road through this village, the joy of its citizens was unbounded.
In 1841 the pile-driver, a steam-machine combining pile-driver, locomotive, and saw-mill, made its appearance upon the route. It moved upon wheels, driving two piles at a time, and sawing them off at a level as it passed along. In this section it commenced operations at the lower edge of a pine woods, which stood back of the present depot, and moved eastward, constructing the original but long since obsolete road-bed of the great Erie Railway. The traveler through the valley sees at this day the relics of this early work, and perhaps wonders for what purpose and at what period so many piles were driven into the ground.
The company running out of funds, the construction of the road was for some time suspended, which was not only a serious blow to the hopes of Hornellsville, but for some time a great detriment to her business interests. The prospect of the road being speedily finished had stimulated unwonted activity; speculation had run high; real estate had risen rapidly; people had begun to look for "good locations" and "corner lots;" and land which had remained in one ownership since the early settlement had suddenly began to change hands, and to be "staked out" or fenced into lots. All this was brought to a sudden stand, and, it was feared by many, to a hopeless reversion, by the suspension of the building of the road. The work, however, was again resumed, and the road built through from Piermont, on the Hudson, to Dunkirk, N.Y. On Sunday, the first day of September, 1850, the first locomotive came up the valley, and stopped at this village. We need not speak of the rejoicing of the citizens, nor of their gratitude to the railway company, to whom more than to all other advantages the village owes it rapid growth and its present and prospective prosperity. The entrance of the road gave the place that impulse which it has ever since held, changing it from a small inland village to a prominent position among the thriving and prosperous business centres of the State.
The progress of the place rapidly followed. On the 19th of November, 1851, Edwin Hough published the first number of the Hornellsville Tribune, the first newspaper published in the town. The village was incorporated June 28, 1852. The branch road to Buffalo was opened the same summer.
This and the following year were marked by a whirl and excitement, and fortunes were made in corner lots. Large and expensive buildings were erected, and the population increased so rapidly that buildings could not be erected fast enough to accommodate the new-comers. The Tribune of that date states that there was not a single house to let in the village.
The first locomotive in Hornellsville was the "Orange, No. 4," built by the Norris Locomotive-Works at Philadelphia. She was also the first that ran to Attica, and in fact the pioneer of the entire road. Engine No. 90 was the next, and the first to sound the steam-whistle between Buffalo and Cleveland. She was taken from Boston to Piermont by N. G. Brooks and C. W. Tafts, on a schooner, then put on a scow and towed to Buffalo by the way of the Erie Canal, then located ona ship and taken to Dunkirk, and ran the first train at that end of the road.
In February, 1851, C. W. Tafts was ordered to Hornellsville from Dunkirk, to run engine No. 73; between Hornellsville and Andover as a construction-train. He came by stage, which took four days (instead of four hours, as at present). Jamestown, Ellicottville, Little Valley, and Angelica were stopping-places. Fare and hotel charges, $10. At that time Hornellsville contained about one hundred houses, two churches, and two school-houses. Cobb's Hotel, corner of Main and Canisteo Streets, opposite Mr. Adsit's store, was the resort of the weary traveler.
One week previous to the grand opening day of the road, engine No. 73, on a gravel-train, sank in the quicksand at Tip-Top Summit, just west of the water-tank, and it took over a week to get her out. She has been of great service since.
THE ERIE SHOPS.
The first Erie shop (or shed) was built in 1849. It was enlarged in 1850 to accommodate three engines, and machinery for repairing the same. It was burned in 1856. The ground was broken for new shops and engine-house, and the foundation-laid in 1854, the old shops being too small. The building was completed in 1856, and was dedicated by a grand ball, September 4, 1856. H. E. Buringer, ticket-agent for the company at the time, sold tickets for the ball. He has remained in the company's service ever since, holding positions of responsibility and trust.
The Erie shops, at Hornellsville, cover six acres of ground, including two round-houses. The latter will accommodate 42 engines. The car-shops employ 50 men; the machine-shops and round-houses employ 172 men; besides, there are 120 engineers and firemen on the Western Division of the Erie Road, and 300 engineers and firemen on the Buffalo Division. W. H. Van Densen in chief clerk of the shops. A. M. Rollins had charge, as general foreman, previous to 1851; in that year he was succeeded by Stephen Hobbs, but was returned by Mr. Martin in 1854. John Latham served as general foreman from 1859 to 1869; W. E. Cooper, from 1869 to Feb. 14, 1874; J. W. Chapman, from Feb. 14, 1874, to June, 1878. G. H. Griggs, present master mechanic, took charge of the shops June 15, 1878. There are four yard-masters: A. A. Dudley, William Bransen, George H. Bullock, and Ami Osgood. Thomas Stoddard, baggageman; Louis Hienderf, railway police; J. E. Neff, night police; A. E. Brow, chief telegraph operator. 75 men are employed in the yard, freight-house, ticket-office, and around the station, under the control of the station-agent, D. K. Belknap.
The railroads add about 2500 to the population of Hornellsville. The average monthly pay-roll of men living in the village is, for the Western Division, $23,000, and for all three divisions, $40,000. There are about 30 miles of switching in the Hornellsville yard, and from 500 to 800 cars pass through the town each way every day.
Daniel K. Belknap was born in Bethany, Wayne Co., Pa., Mar. 17, 1828. His ancestor, Samuel Belknap, emigated from Wales, and settled in the town of Windsor, Conn., about the latter part of the seventeenth century.
His great-grandfather, Abel Belknap, born in 1739, married Elizabeth Stevens, and moved to Stillwater, Saratoga Co., N.Y., where he followed farming, and on his farm was fought the ever-memorable battle between Gates and Burgbyne, "The Battle of Saratoga." He was a soldier of the Revolution, first ranking as ensign, and at the close of the war as lieutenant of artillary.
His grandfather, Abel Belknap, Jr., was also a soldier of the Revolution, and after the close of the war moved to Cherry Valley, Otsego Co., where he became one of the early settlers. His children were five sons and three daughters, of whom Horace belknap, father of the subject of this sketch, was second, and was born at Cherry Valley, in the year 1792; married Susan, daughter of Joseph Skinner, of Damascus, Wayne Co., Pa. The skinner family were descendants of Admiral Skinner, who was one of the first settlers on the Delaware River, west of Port Jervis; was driven away by the Indians and Tories, and returned, after the close of the war. Horace belknap followed farming and lumbering; was in the war of 1812 as a musician (a fifer), lived the most of his life in Wyne Co., Pa., and died in Tioga Co., Pa., at the age of sixty-one. Of their five sons and three daughters, Daniel K. was third child.
He received only a limited early education. At the age of eighteen he went into the busy world for himself, resolved to do whatever would bring an honest livelihood. For five years he was with a company of civil engineers on the Pennsylvania coal roads, and his experience in this new business led him to desire more of a railroad life. Upon the completion of the Erie Railway he at once obtained a position, and for twenty-seven years has been connected with that great highway, in various positions of trust and responsibility. There are very few, if any, in the employ of the Erie Company who can trace their business relations with the road through all its administrations, as can Mr. Belknap. And it is said, that during its entire length, no man is better or more favorably known by all the employees of the road. For eleven years he was stationed at Deposit, N.Y., as agent, and for the past six years he has been located at Hornellsville. With all the changes in connection with this great thoroughfare, few have retained to so full an extent the confidence of the several administrations of this road as has Mr. Belknap. In all matters of local interests Mr. Belknap has not shrunk from responsibility, and supports with a liberal hand and willing mind, church and kindred interests. Since the organization of the Bank of Hornellsville he has been one of its directors. He has led a strictly business life, seeking no political preferment or official notoriety.
In the year 1857, Oct. 14, he married Elvira Blizzard, of Sullivan Co., N.Y. Their children are Walter and Laura.
The following is a list of station-agents at Hornellsville from the opening of the Erie Road, in September, 1850, to date: J. A. Redfield, Sept. 1850, to Feb. 1852; H. B. Smith, Feb. 1852, to Oct. 1854; J. S. Spellman, Oct. 1854, to March 1855; J. S. Sheaffer, March, 1855, to Jan. 1856; H. B. Smith, Jan. 1856, to Sept. 1858; T. P. Stowell, Sept. 1858, to May, 1863; W. C. Taylor, May, 1863, to March, 1864; E. Van Ruyle, March, 1864, to Nov. 1866; E. M. Canfield, Nov. 1866, to Nov. 1868; S. C. Jillson, Nov. 1868, to Feb. 1873; D. K. Belknap, Feb. 1873, to present time.
The following are the master mechanics and superintendents of the Hornellsville shops and the Western Division of the Erie Road:
Master Mechanics. -- Albert Griswold, 1851-53; Jas. Gilmore, 1853-54; Will. Hart, 1854-56; F. P. Martin, 1856-57; H. G. Brooks, 1857-61; John Durrell, 1861-64; M. E. Cooper, J. W. Chapman, G. H. Griggs, present master mechanic.
Superintendents.--W. C. Taylor, 1851-53; R. N. Brown, 1853-54; J. A. Hart, 1854-56; B. Smith, 1856-57; Charles P. Robinson, 1857-61; H. G. Brooks, 1861-64; J. S. Beggs, 1864, to present time.
INCORPORATION OF THE VILLAGE.
The village was incorporated, under the general law, at a court of sessions held in Bath, on the 28th day of June, 1852. The first election of officers was held August 30 of the same year, at which John H. Lillie, Thomas Snell, J. T. Wilbur, Richard Durbin, and Wm. C. McCormick were chosen Trustees; George Alley, Hiram Bennett, and Rufus E. Holmes, Assessors; Horace Bemis, Clerk; Martin Adsit, Treasurer; and James Fogle, Poundmaster. At the meeting of the board, John H. Lillie was chosen President.
1853.--Col. L. D. Benton, R. Durbin, D. S. Reyno, James Alley, John J. Ely, Trustees; D. S. Reyno, President; H. A. Patterson, Clerk; N. Chadwick, Treasurer.
1854.--P. C. Ward, William M. Hawley, R. L. Brundage, H. Bennett, J. M. Osborne, Trustees; Col. P. C. Ward, President; Ezra Bowen, Clerk; Martin Adsit, Treasurer.
1855.--T. J. Reynolds, J. M. Wisewell, W. R. McCormick, J. H. Lillie, C. E. W. Baldwin, Trustees; Maj. T. J. Reynolds, President; M. C. Prindle, Clerk; M. E. Brown, Treasurer.
1856.--W. G. Rose, R. Pardee, William Bennett, S. taylor, Martin Adsit, Trustees; Martin Adsit, President; J. R. Sheldon, Clerk; I. E. Sharp, Treasurer.
1857.--N. M. Crane, Mark Ball, L. E. Bowen, James Kinshern, Stephen Taylor, Trustees; Col. N. M. Crane, President; Miles W. Hawley, Clerk; I. E. Sharp, Treasurer.
1858.--M. E. Brown, Martin Adsit, J. P. Martin, Morris Smith, Philip Van Scoter, Trustees; M. E. Brown, President; Miles W. Hawley, Clerk; H. Holliday, Treasurer.
1859.--Morris Smith, Mark Ball, Philip Van Scoter, J. T. Glazier, Martin Adsit, Trustees; Morris Smith, President; Miles W. Hawley, Clerk; R. Parde, Treasurer.
1860.--Mark Ball, Nosh D. Ogden, David Conderman, James T. Glazier, Nathan Nichols, Trustees; Mark Ball, President; Miles W. Hawley, Clerk; I. E. Sharp, Treasurer.
1862.--Alonso Trumbull, Walter G. Rose, W. H. Coykendall, George H. Kellinger, Mark Ball, Trustees; Alonzo Trumbull, President; Ziba b. Guilds, Clerk; James W. Burnham, Treasurer.
1863.--Hiram Bennett, N. D. Ogden, A. Trumbull, c. L. Prindle, Trustees; Hiram Bennett, President; E. R. Reynolds, Clerk.
1864.--L. D. Pratt, Charles F. Smith, James M. Cook, Horace Bemis, E. H. Badger, Trustees; L. D. Pratt, President; V. B. Wetmore, Clerk.
1865.--Martin Adsit, Charles F. Smith, Mark Ball, Walter G. Rose, John R. Sheldon, Trustees; Martin Adsit, President; John Culbert, Clerk; Augustus McHenry, Treasurer.
Since the adoption of the new charter,
the following have been presidents and clerks of the village:
|1867.||L. W. Near.||J. M. Popple.|
|1868.||R. M. Tuttle.||A. S. Charles.|
|1869.||Rodney Dennis.||G. W. Brigden.|
|1870.||John B. Rose.||Miles W. Hawley.|
|1871.||S. E. Shattnek.||W. H. Van Dusen.|
|1872.||H. E. Buvinger.||W. H. Van Dusen.|
|1873.||Horace Bemis.||A. S. Charles.|
|1874.||James H. Stephens.||A. G. Howard.|
|1875.||Samuel Arnott.||D. G. Moriarty.|
|1876.||R. D. Jillson.||M. G. Graham.|
|1877.||Charles Adsit.||G. W. Brigden.|
|1878.||G. S. Humphrey.||F. F. Rathbun.|
First Ward.--Richard Stellman, J. H. Shaut.
Second Ward.--George Hollands, G. L. Boynton.
Third Ward.--E. I. Gilbert, J. I. Bentley.
Fourth Ward.--John Sauter, David Adams.
Fifth Ward.--J. W. Chapman, Thomas Kelley.
Sixth Ward.--B. F. Collins, J. W. Burns.
Police Justice.--George W. Brigden.
Assessors.--Edward Connoly, Thomas Burris, Harvey Prentis.
EARLY MERCHANTS AND BUSINESS MEN.
Col. Ira Davenport was the first merchant in the village. He came here in 1815 with a single wagon-load of goods, driving three hundred miles, from Harpersfield, Delaware Co., where he had for several years previous been clerk in a store in which his father had an interest. His first store, which he built with his own hands, was a frame building about 18 by 20, and stood just opposite the present foundry of Messrs. Rawson & Thacher. It was afterwards removed and converted into a kitchen of the "Black Horse" tavern, opposite. He built his next store just east of Main Street, being part of his residence, now standing, as a tenement-house, opposite Mr. Charles Hartsborn's. This house was long after known as the "Eagle Tavern," kept for many years by Hugh Magee.
Mr. Davenport's next store was the first brick house erected in Hornellsville,--residence and store combined,--and is now occupied by Martin Adsit, Esq. He used to haul his goods by team from Catskill, on the Hydson. Col. Davenport had stores in many other parts of the country, and made a large fortune in mercantile business. In 1847 he removed to Bath, and there resided till his death, May 2, 1868.
His nephew, Martin Adsit, Esq., succeeded him in business, and had also a bank in the same store for many years. Present locality, No. 127 Main Street.
Andy L. Smith, father of Andy L. Smith, the present merchant, was the pioneer of the tanning and shoemaking business, on the site of the present tannery of Mr. William O'Connor. He commenced about 1816, and after carrying on tanning for many years, closed that business and engaged in merchantile pursuits.
Dugald Cameron, son of the agent of the Pulteney estate at Bath, settled in Hornellsville about 1814. He occupied lands owned by his father, and carried on lumbering as his chief occupation. He was also a farmer, and at one time held the office of justice of the peace.
The first postmaster in the town was Judge Hornell. There is an impression that he was succeeded by one of his sons, but it is uncertain. Col. Ira Davenport was the next incumbent of the office, and held it many years. He was succeeded by Dr. Manning Kelly, who resigned in 1832. John R. Morris was then appointed, and held the office nine years, when he was superseded, under Tyler's administration, by John K. Hale, who held the office during the balance of the presidential term. Under Mr. Polk, in 1845, Maj. Thomas J. Reynolds received the appointment. The election of Gen. Taylor, in 1848, changed the order of things, and upon his incoming administration Martin Adsit became the incumbent, and held the office till the administration of President Pierce, when Andy L. Smith received the appointment, and held the office for a short time, when he was succeeded by Dr. Leman A. Ward, who held the office under Buchanan's administration. He was succeeded, under Mr. Lincoln, by E. G. Durfey, who was followed by J. W. Shelly. S. M. Thacher was his successor, and remained in office till the appointment of the present incumbent, F. M. Cronkrite.
The first school in Hornellsville of which we have any account, was established under the patronage of Judge Hornell about the year 1810. It was taught by Miss Sarah Thacher, in a block-house which was then standing near the residence of Deacon Mowry Thacher, a brother of the lady. The first school-house built in the village was of hewed logs, and stood on the site of the present cabinet-factory of Messrs. Deutsch, Tachachtli & Co. It was built about 1813. Mr. Thacher remembers being at school in it when peace was declared with Great Britain, and one of the large scholars, to celebrate the event, wrote the word "Peace" in large letters, and attached the slip to his hatband. This was the first district school, now District No. 7. The first teacher was a man by the name of Dudley Miller, who is described as a "tall and lean specimen of humanity, with military boots and little tassels hanging from the tops." It is said that he was a great gallant, but met with about as much success among the fair Katrinas of the Canisteo as his ancient counterpart; the hero of Sleepy Hollow. This building was burned down, and a small frame school-house was built on the site of what is now the Canisteo Block, corner of Main and Church Streets. It was moved off at the time the Presbyterian church was built. Among the teachers in this building were George Hornell, Jr., Uriah Stephens, and James Osborne. Solomon Head, irreverently called "Old Head," by the boys, was also a teacher about this time, and was followed by John Huntington, a brother of ex-senator Huntington, of Bath. He was succeeded by Rev. Samuel White, Mary Morris, Parmelia Stephens, and others. Deacon Mowry Thacher taught three winters, and was followed by John S. Livermore, Dr. Thomas, and Orange McCay.
In 1833 the district purchased the land for a school lot on the point between Canisteo and Church Streets for $40, and the "Old Red School-House" was built at a cost of about $200. The dimensions of the building were 22 by 28 feet. Ira Davenport was the architect. The first teachers who taught in it were Washington Cruger, Samuel Porter, H. V. R. Lord, and Samuel Street. The latter taught for a considerable length of time, and is better remembered than any of the early teachers by many now living, who during that period attended the district school. Many farmers' sons came in and boarded in the village, and attended school during the winter months. Mr. Street was somewhat severe in his government, but he possessed a kindly, Christian heart, and always commanded the respect of his pupils. He was followed by Hiram Bennett, Esq., and afterwards, Hiram Hood, John McAlmant, Orson B. Clark, and others taught the school.
In the summer of 1844 the new school-house, west of the park, was built. Mr. Clark finished his term in this building, and was succeeded by Mr. Street, who was again employed as teacher. After him came the following: E. B. Coon, A. E. Crane, Prof. D. Ford, of Alfred, Myron Harlbut, of Arkport, N. S. Scott, Horace Bemis, Mr. Marriman, Redmon D. Stephens, R. R. Rock, Mr. Rogers, Mr. Baker, Erastus Williams, J. H. Strong, Beston C. Rede, Elizabeth Bartholomew, Rev. S. D. Booram, H. J. Dunforth, A. G. Harrington, Mr. Murphy, W. T. Dunmore, and D. L. Freeburn.
James Taggart, Asa Upson, and Stephen Coon were the first school$commissioners of the town of Hornellsville, elected in 1821. From that time till 1844 there were 44 different persons elected to the office, and during the same period there were elected 27 inspectors; the first of whom were: A. Kennedy, Christopher Hurlbut, and George Hornell, Jr., and the last were J. K. Hale, Hiram Bennett, and William M. Hawley. In 1843 the Legislature abolished the offices of commissioners and inspectors, and created that of town superintendents. At the town-meeting of 1844, Mowry Thacher was elected to the office, being the first superintendent of common schools in the town of Hornellsville. He had previously served ten years as inspector. The following year Samuel Olin was elected; then Comfort K. Baldwin (1846), Samuel Olin (1847), Dr. Baldwin (1848-51), Daniel McCay (1854-54), H. A. Patterson (1854), Elon G. Durfey (1855), the last.
In 1856 the Legislature abolished the office of town superintendent and county superintendent, and provided for the election of school commissioners in each Assembly district. The first for this district under the act was William S. Hall. He was succeeded by Rev. Horatio Pattengill, whose successors, in the order named, have been R. Dennis, A. T. Parkhill, Edwin Whiting, W. P. Todd, H. R. Williams.
PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM.
The public schools of the village of Hornellsville, by a special act of the Legislature, are organized as a graded school and placed under the control of three trustees as a board of education, who hold office for three years, one trustee being elected each year. To the graded school an academic`department, subject to the visitation of the regents, was added, and the first regents' examination was held in November, 1872.
The buildings now occupied by the schools are as follows:
No. (1) one (Park School), which contains the academic department, is on Union Street, opposite the park.
The building is a substantial brick structure, two stories high, with no basement, and will comfortably accommodate 750 pupils.
No. (1) (Fifth Ward School) is on South Canisteo Street, on the south bank of Crosby Creek. It is also a substantial brick structure, two stories high. The building stands upon a rise of ground, with its main entrance to the east. It is decidedly the finest school building in the village. It will comfortably accommodate 300 pupils.
No. 3 (Sixth Ward School) is situated on East Main Street. It is a two-story building, and is the only one of the ward schools built of wood.
The aggregate value of school property
is as follows:
|Buildings and lots||$25,000|
TEACHERS.--D. L. Freeborn, Superintendent.
PARK OR ACADEMIC SCHOOL.--D. L. Freeborn, Principal; Miss W. E. Brayton, Preceptress; Miss Maggie T. Welch, First Assistant; Miss Laura La Croix, Second Assistant; No. 6, Miss Mary Reilly; No. 5, Miss Fannie Norton; No. 4, Miss Belle Bronk; No. 3, Miss Belle Simmons; No. 2, Miss Belle Shelley; No. 1, Miss Nellie Spicer, Miss Susie Dunavon.
FIFTH WARD SCHOOL.--D. H. Hendershott, Principal; Miss Lizzie Graves, Assistant in No. 4; No. 3, Miss Alfa Gays; No. 2, Miss Mary Welch; No. 1, Miss Vandalia Varnum, Miss Ada Rockwell.
SIXTH WARD SCHOOL.--Miss Elizabeth Bartholomew, Principal; No. 3, Miss Eva Santee; No. 2, Miss Alice Aldrich; No. 1, Miss Eva C. Stillman.
BROAD STREET SCHOOL.--Miss Eugenia Morris.
John S. Jameson, J. W. Robinson, S. E. Shattuck, M. J. Baker, C. S. Parkhill, S. F. Cridler, C. G. Hubbard, Samuel Mitchell, H. C. Orcutt, W. E. Hathaway.
* See Medical Societies, in general history.
The present lawyers of Hornellsville are Harlo Hakes, Horace Bemis, James H. Stephens, Jr., William E. Bonham, I. W. Near, C. W. Stephens, H. Holliday, Wm. C. Bingham, D. L. Benton, Wesley Brown, R. L. Brundaga, John M. Finch, Rodney Dennis, J. E. B. Santee, D. M. Page, C. F. Beard, Fay P. Rathbun, J. F. Wetmore, W. W. Oxx, Henry N. Platt.
† See Bench and Bar of this county, in general history.
THE HORNELL LIBRARY.
This institution, as well as the building which it occupies, is a credit to the growing and prosperous village of Hornellsville. It occupies a capacious room in the Shattuck Opera House, a building in which would be an ori___ant to a city of 20,000 population. Part of this fine building is owned by the association, and affords ample and first-class accommodations for the completion of the plan, as to cabinets and collections of arts, which the enterprising managers have in view. The history of this library furnishes an example of what may be accomplished in the interest of literature and home culture by the united, energetic Naction of a few earnest spirits. In the spring of 1868 seven young men incorporated the Hornell Library Association. They had neither money nor books, but they proposed to get both, and to this end they procured and sustained a course of lectures, a masquerade or two was indulged in, festivals were held, and some money thus procured; more was secured by the issuing of life certificates. The first books were bought June 1, 1868. Now Hornell Library has on its shelves 6000 volumes.
This library was the first village
library established in Western New York, and its remarkable success induced
other villages to follow the sample thus set. It has maintained since its
organi~ation a successful lecture course, and we find upon its records
the names of many of the ablest lecturers in the country, who have from
time to time instructed and delighted large and appreciative audiences
under its auspices. During the first four years the average increase of
books was 1000 volumes a year.
The association is composed of 34
persons who own life certificates. They annually elect nine managers, a
president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The first board of
managers consisted of the following-named persons: I. W. Near, S. M. Thacher,
N. P. T. Finach, Miles W. Hawley, J. W. Shelley, Stephen F. Gilbert, E.
J. Johnson; Charles Adsit, President; John M. Finch, Vice-President;
N. M. Crane, Treasurer.
By a special act passed in 1869
all the moneys received from licenses and fines for the violation of the
excise laws were devoted to the purchase of books for the library. These
amounted at first to a sum of from $1000 to $1500 a year. The income from
this source, however, was by a subsequent amendment limited to a sum not
to exceed $500 per annum; and this has since been applied to the purchase
The following are the officers of
the association for 1878: Cass Richardson, President; J. E. B. Santee,
L. T. Charles, Secretary; C. H. Young, Treasurer.
Managers.--R. M. Tuttle, Chairman;
Cass Richardson, C. G. Hubbard, F. M. Sheldon, F. M. Kreidler, F. F. Finch,
H. E. Buvinger, F. M. Cronkrite, W. H. Johnson.
The association is composed of 34 persons who own life certificates. They annually elect nine managers, a president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The first board of managers consisted of the following-named persons: I. W. Near, S. M. Thacher, N. P. T. Finach, Miles W. Hawley, J. W. Shelley, Stephen F. Gilbert, E. J. Johnson; Charles Adsit, President; John M. Finch, Vice-President; N. M. Crane, Treasurer.
By a special act passed in 1869 all the moneys received from licenses and fines for the violation of the excise laws were devoted to the purchase of books for the library. These amounted at first to a sum of from $1000 to $1500 a year. The income from this source, however, was by a subsequent amendment limited to a sum not to exceed $500 per annum; and this has since been applied to the purchase of books.
The following are the officers of the association for 1878: Cass Richardson, President; J. E. B. Santee, Vice-President; L. T. Charles, Secretary; C. H. Young, Treasurer.
Managers.--R. M. Tuttle, Chairman; Cass Richardson, C. G. Hubbard, F. M. Sheldon, F. M. Kreidler, F. F. Finch, H. E. Buvinger, F. M. Cronkrite, W. H. Johnson.
FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF HORNELLSVILLE.
The association of this bank was organized in November, 1863, by Martin Adsit, of Hornellsville, Ira Davenport, Constant Cook, Ira Davenport, Jr., and Henry H. Cook, of Bath, N.Y., who were the first board of directors, and held all of the stock. The bank commenced business May 1, 1864, in a small wooden building on the corner of Main and Canisteo Streets, with a paid-up capital of $50,000, and with liberty to increase it to $200,000. The first officers were Ira Davenport, President and Martin Adsit, Cashier.
First Board of Directors.--Ira Davenport, Constant Cook, Martin Adsit, Henry H. Cook, and Ira Davenport, Jr.
On the 26th of June, 1865, Ira Davenport resigned the presidency, and Martin Adsit was appointed in his place, and Charles Adsit was appointed cashier. On the death of Ira Davenport in 1869, John Davenport became a stockholder and director, and the same relation was assumed by Charles Adsit on the death of Constant Cook. In may, 1875, the capital stock was increased to $100,000, and all paid in. In 1870 the bank erected a new and substantial brick banking-house, No. 117 Main Street, and removed to the elegant quarters which they now occupy Jan 1, 1871. The banking-room is well and conveniently arranged, with first-class vault, time lock, etc.
The present officers are as follows: Martin Adsit, President and Charles Adsit, Cashier.
Directors.--Martin Adsit, Charles Adsit, John Davenport, Ira Davenport, Jr., and Henry H. Cook.
BANK OF HORNELLSVILLE.
Officers.--F. G. Babcock, President; W. G. Rose, Vice-President; W. H. Johnson, Cashier; F. H. Furman, Assistant Cashier.
Directors.--F. G. Babcock, W. G. Rose, Chas. S. Clark, D. D. Babcock, W. H. Johnson, A. Hubbard, D. K. Belknap.
N. M. CRANE & CO.'S BANK.
Officers.--N. M. Crane, President; S. H. Crane, Cashier; Charles Crandall, Teller.
Hornellsville has two excellent brass bands,--the P. G. Babcock Hook-and-Ladder, No. 4, William Snow, leader, and the Hornell Union Cornet Band, Prof. R. B. Perkins, leader.
THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HORNELLSVILLE,
consisting of 28 original members, was organized on the 10th of July, 1832. Chauncey B. Smith and Mowry Thacher were ordained elders, and have continued to officiate in that capacity till the present time. Of the original members these two elders, Mrs. Harriet Bostwick and Mrs. Hannah Thacher, are the only ones who survive.
The first church edifice was erected in 1834, and was a building 39 by 49 feet in dimension. In 1862 it was enlarged, the side galleries being removed and the audience-room extended 20 feet; at the same time its lecture-room and parlors were built. In 1871 its central tower was removed, a new front erected, and an organ purchased. In 1874 a third enlargement was made whereby 45 additional seats were secured, so that the church is now capable of seating 650 persons comfortably. The present membership is 329.
A union Sunday-school was organized by George Hornell, Jr., in 1820, and was maintained during the summer months only until Elder C. B. Smith became superintendent, in 1829, after which it continued both summer and winter. On the erection of churches of different demoninations, the school was divided, Elder Smith continuing to have charge of the Presbyterian division until 1841. He has since that time remained in the school as teacher. The present Sunday-school has an enrolled membership of more than 500 officers, teachers, and scholars.
Clergymen.--The following have served the church for the years set opposite their names: George P. King, 1832-33; Moses Hunter, 1834-35; Benjamin Russel, 1837-38; J. W. Hopkins (first pastor), 1839-41; C. B. Smyth, 1841-42 E. S. Peck, 1842-43; F. M. Hodgman, 1843-45; Foster Lilly, 1845-48; H. Pattengill (second pastor), 1849-57; F. W. Graven, 1857-58; Ira O. Delong, 1859-60; Milton Waldo, 1861-71; W. A. Niles (third pastor), 1872, and still continues.
Elders.--C. B. Smith, Mowry Thacher, N. C. Lockwood, Nathan Platt, T. Scott Thacher.
The annual meeting of the Young People's Christian Association occurs on the evening of the first Sunday of September. The Free Reading-Room, in the Babcock Building, is open daily, except Sundays, from eight o'clock A.M. to ten o'clock P.M.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF HORNELLSVILLE
was organized in 1830. Their meetings were at first held in private residences, and then in the school-house till their church edifice was erected.
The ministers who have served this church are as follows: Rev. Asa Story, 1830; W. D. Gage, 1835; Robert Parker, Nelson Hoag, 1837; Ira Bronson, Nelson Hoag, 1838; Samuel Church, 1839; D. B. Lawton, 1840; V. Brownell, 1841; Philo Tower, 1842; W. E. Prindar, 1843; Sheldon Doolittle, 1844-45; W. E. Prindar, 1846; John Knapp, John Spink, 1847-48; Carlos Gould, 1849; S. B. Rooney, 1850; James W. Wilson, 1851; A. S. Baker, 1852; James Asthworth, 1853; N. A. De Puy, 1854-55; H. N. Seaver, 1856; W. C. Huntingdon, 1857-58; J. R. Jacques, 1859-60; J. Walters, J. B. Knott, 1861; E. P. Huntington, 1862-63; Chas. M. Gardner, 1863-66; C. P. Hart, 1867; Thomas Stacy, 1868-70; W. C. Mattison, 1870-71; E. Wildman, 1872; C. C. Wilburn, 1872-73; K. P. Jervis, 1874-76; L. A. Stevens, 1877.
The Y.P.C.A. meets on the first Thursday evening in each month.
CHRIST'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF HORNELLSVILLE
was organized into a regular parish on the 6th of March, 1854. Rev. James Robinson was the first rector. The wardens and vestrymen were as follows: Aaron Morris, Charles L. Prindle, wardens; Martin Adsit, William H. Chandler, Peter C. Ward, Charles Strawn, George Hackett, T. J. MaGee, Thomas Snell, N. M. Crane, vestrymen.
Rev. Mr. Robinson resigned, and on the 1st of January, 1858, Rev. Floyd Windsor became the rector. Services were held in Washington Hall till the winter or early spring of 1860, when the building was destroyed by fire. The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid in May, 1860, and was opened for public service on Christmas-day of that year. Services have been held in it ever since by Mr. Windsor, who has been rector for twenty years. At the laying of the corner-stone the rector was assisted in the ceremonies by Rev. Lewis Thebon and Rev. Robert Harwood, of Angelica, and Rev. Horatio Pattingill, D.D., then pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Hornellsville. Hon. William M. Hawley also delivered an address. The membership has increased from 38 to 170, who are now in communion with the church. The Sunday-school, which for many years was under the superintendency of James W. Burnham, numbers 140 scholars, 16 teachers, 2 librarians.
Dow L. Sharp, Superintendent.
L. T. Charles, Secretary.
Wardens.--John Badger, Martin Adsit.
Vestrymen.--J. W. Burnham, Harlow Hakes, F. M. Sheldon, James Burns, Charles Strawn, E. T. Young, E. H. Badger.
J. S. Jamison, Clerk.
The Ladies' Parish Aid Society holds weekly meetings in the rectory.
THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HORNELLSVILLE
was organized on the 17th of October, 1852. The membership at that time consisted of 15 persons,--8 gentlemen and 7 ladies. Rev. Thomas s. Sheardown was pastor. During his pastorate of one year thirty were added by letter, baptism, etc. Their place of meetin was in Union hall, the third story of a brick block, opposite the Presbyterian church. Nov. 12, 1854, William Luke was called, and was ordained in December following. He closed his labors April 29, 1855, and the church was without a pastor till Jan. 7, 1856, when Rev. Henry A. Rose was called and remained till March 22, 1859. During his pastorate the first meeting house was built,--a substantial brick structure. From Aug. 2, 1859, to July 1, 1861, Rev. John B. Pittman was pastor. His successors were Rev. Jacob Gray, 1861-63; Rev. A. G. Bowles, 1863; Rev. Isaac C. Seeley, 1864-67; Rev. Joel Hendrick, 1867-72. On the 1st of November, 1872, Rev. D. Van Alstin, D.D., succeeded Mr. Hendrick, and is the present pastor.
The early membership of this church was made up almost wholly of new-comers to the place,--persons who had not made their fortunes, but were in search of them. They were thoroughly united, willing to work, and they accomplished much. The money for the purchase of the lot was furnished on liberal terms by members of the baptist Church of Elmira. The largest number added to the church by baptism during any one pastorate was when Mr. Hendrick was pastor,--73 being baptized and 140 added by letter, experience, and baptism.
The following who were pastors are now dead: T. B. Sheardown, William Luke, A. G. Bowles, I. C. Seeley.
During the year 1873 the church edifice was rebuilt and enlarged at an expense of about $8000. It is ow a commodious and substantial house of worship.
The church has enjoyed repeatd revivals of religion, and the present membership is 234. Present officers: Rev. D. Van Alstine, D.D., Pastor.
Deacons.--J. S. Haskins, A. Brown, D. B. Merriman, George Lewis.
Clerk.--O. S. Palmer.
Superintendent of Sunday-school.--A. S. Van Winkle.
Trustees.--C. Hartshorn, J. S. Haskins, A. Brown, J. Lamphear, O. S. Palmer, S. H. Merriman, J. W. Nicholson, E. M. Le Munyan.
ST. ANN'S (CATHOLIC) CHURCH, HORNELLSVILLE.
In 1843, Father Benedict Bayer came here from Rochester, and said mass at Thomas Dooley's, at Webb's Crossing. On that day he baptized 14 children. Three months later he came again, and said mass in Judge Thurber's old brick building. In three months he officiated again in the old school-house, where the brick school-house now stands. In 1844, Father McAvoy came and paid a visit once in three months, and continued his labors about five years. In 1849, Rev. Michael O'Brien came, and built a little brick church, 30 by 40, on Cross Street, by the railroad. The brick work was done by Adam Hill, and the carpenter work by William Mahar. Father O'Brien remained about two years, and was folowed by Rev. Father McCabe, for six months, and he by Rev. Daniel Moor, about two years, and after him Father McGlew, about two years. The next was Father Keenan, who remained eight years and doubled the size of the church by an addition. Then came Fathers Lawton and Gregg, remaining one year, and was followed by Father Story, one year. Father Creedan built the new church, situated on the corner of Elm Street and Erie Avenue, and the convent and school-house on the opposite corner. The church is a brick building, 110 by 60 feet, with priests' residence attached. There are 13 Sisters of St. Joseph, who are teachers in the school. They were brought here by Rev. William J. McNab, who enlarged the school-house to twice its original size. The school prior to that had been supported by the town as part of the common-school system.
When the first priest came, in 1843, his parish extended from Friendship to Corning, and from Rochester to the Pennsylvania line. Cornelius Carroll, now living in Hornellsville, before there was any visiting priest here, went to Rochester to get his three children baptized. He went by wagon to Danville, and down to Rochester by canal, and was over a week in performing the journey.
EVENING STAR LODGE, No. 44.
From partial records, and the recollection of old members, we gather the following items respecting this old lodge:
The lodge was organized in Canisteo some time before 1814. The first entry in the record (which has evidently lost some of its preceding leaves) is dated Jan. 17, 1814, at which time "Evening Star Lodge met for installation, and installed by brethren of Agateen Lodge, Joel Redfield, Worshipful Master; William Higgins, Past Master; John Ayers, Past Senior Warden. Brethren present, Andrew Simpson, W. M., Timothy Perry, S. W., John Stephens, J. W., James Jones, Nathaniel Thacher, William Mulhollen. Visiting brethren, Andrew Morris, Uriah Stephens, William Hyde, Samuel O. Thacher, Elias Perry, Sanuel Lenox, and Samuel Darby. Extra Lodge called, William Stephens' petition, and deposit paid; John R. Stephens' petition, and deposit paid; William B. Jones' petition, and deposit paid; Timothy Russell's petition, and deposit paid. William Stephens balloted for and accepted. John Stephens balloted for and accepted. William Stephens initiated, John R. Stephens initiated, William B. Jones initiated. The lodge closed in harmony."
At the next meeting a committee was appointed "to form a code and by-laws," and were instructed "to report of the lodge on the next regular lodge night."
The lodge appears to have been financially prosperous. In the minutes of the September meeting, 1814, "one hundred dollars and fifty cents" are reported in the treasury, and the yearly dues twelve shillings. The usual fee accompanying application for admission seems to have been $4 but we find this minute, "Samuel Hend paid $8 for first degree." Also, "George Hornell's petition and deposit received." "Voted that Brother Bernard have $10 from the funds of this lodge for the use of Brother ---- and family." And that "all the money paid into the lodge be kept for the use of the lodge." "Voted that a box be prepared, and all money put into the same, and the treasurer keep the key."
Dec. 23, 1814, Andrew Simpson was again chosen Master; John Stephens, S. W.; John Stephens (No. 2), J. W.; Uriah Stephens, S. D.; Elijah Stephens, J. D. Twenty-four members present at this election. "Voted that the nexxt stated lodge be held at the house of W. Mulhollen." "Voted that the steward furnish the lodge with the necessary refreshments."
The records then skip to "Feb., 1817," when the lodge is duly chartered by De Witt Clinton, Grand Master. Rev. Andrew simpson is still Master; William Mulhollen Secretary. Dec. 18, 1817, William Stephens was elected Master. The following year Elijah Andrew was engaged "to instruct twice a week for three months for $18, and a committee was appointed "to procure a suitable room in Upper Canisteo, near Hornell's, to hold Evening Star Lodge.
November, 1848--"Resolved that Evening Star Lodge be removed to the house of Peter Reynolds, a few rods from Davenport's." We have it from some of the old Masons at Canisteo that Evening Star Lodge was moved to Almond before it went to Hornellsville, to make room for the chartering of another lodge, and that Morning Star Lodge, No. 421 (now Morning Star Lodge, No. 65, of Canisteo), was soon after chartered. Of the old Evening Star Lodge, Andrew Simpson was the first master, and traversed the forest twelve miles from his home in Jasper, for about four years, to be present at every meeting of the lodge.
The lodges in Hornellsville and Canisteo were the only ones in the country which maintained their charter during the Morgan excitement. The anti-Masonic spirit was particularly virulent in Hornellsville at that time, and some anti-Masons threw the archives out of the window of the lodge. Col. John R. Stephens, a prominent Mason at that time, happening to be passing along the street, picked them up and preserved them. Col. Stephens, Maj. Thomas Bennett, and Besy Baker met under Maj. Bennett's sign-post in Hornellsville for several years, and made their returns to the Grand Lodge, thus preserving their charter intact.
After meeting at Peter Reynold's as stated above, the lodge made several other removes, each time for the better. Once, while occupying a building where Harry Johnson's house now stands, they were burned out, losing everything but the books, which were saved with risk by the late Hon. Miles W. Hawley, who was then secretary.
This lodge at one time bore the number 259, but was changed to No. 44 upon the reorganization of Masonry in the State, about 1840. Through all its vicissitudes and changes it has maintained an existence, and now numbers 100 members.
W. W. Howell, M.; W. Bridgen, Sec.
There are in Hornellsville other Masonic lodges, as follows:
DE MOLAY COMMANDERY, NO. 22.
Meets every first and third Thursday in each month. A. G. Howard, Sec.; H. D. Leach, E. C.
STEUBEN CHAPTER, 101.
Second and fourth Thursday in each month. A. G. Howard, Sec.; L. S. Boardman, M. E. H. P.
HORNELLSVILLE LODGE, 331.
First and third Tuesdays in each month. A. G. Howard, Sec.; G. W. Griswold, M.
EVENING STAR LODGE, 44.
Second and fourth Tuesday in each month. W. Brigden, Sec.; W. W. Howell, M.
INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD-FELLOWS.
OASIS LODGE, 231.
Meets every Monday evening at Odd-Fellows' Hall, corner Main and Church Streets.
HORNELLSVILLE TANNERY, William O'Connor, proprietor.--tHE LARGE STEAM TANNERY OF Mr. O'Conner was established in 1864. It is exclusively employed in the manufacture of rough leather, of which 50,000 sides a year are tanned, giving employment to about 20 hands. The original part of the building was the old tannery built by Andy L. Smith, which has been enlarged, thoroughly repaired, and adapted to the extensive business carried on by the present proprietor.
Mr. O'Conner, from early boyhood, resided in Hartsville. He learned his trade in Le Roy, Genesee Co., and since his residence in Hornellsville has been closely identified with the business interests of the place.
THE FURNITURE-MANUFACTORY of Messrs. Deutsch, Tschachtli & Co. constitutes one of the leading manufacturing interests of the village. In 1871 this firm purchased the building at the foot of Main Street, erected for a sash- and blind-factory by Mr. James Barclay, and converted it into a large steam cabinet- and furniture-factory, but their principal warehouse is in the Canisteo Block, half of whih is owned by the firm. They make all varieties of plain and the best upholstered furniture, their upholstering being all done at home in their own shops. They do a large business, and give employment to about 50 workmen.
THE BOOT AND SHOE-MANUFACTORY of William Richardson & Co. was established Jan. 1, 1872, the fine brick building occupied by the firm having been erected by them in the fall of 1871. This building is four stories besies basement, and constructed with special reference to convenience for the large manufacture of boots and shoes carried on by the firm.
Mr. Richardson belons to a family noted for their enterprise in this business, his brother having one of the largest shoe-factories in the State, at Elmira. Previous to locating their business in this village, the Messrs. Richardson had been engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes at Almond, Alleghany Co., where their father had established the business in 1845. The members of this enterprising firm are William and Cass Richardson (half-brothers). They have another factory at Andover, Alleghany Co., and a tannery connected with it. The business of their factory in this village amounts to 150 cases of boots and 15 to 20 cases of shoes per week, and they employ 150 hands.
McCONNELL & CO., Planing-Mills, Dealers in Lumber, and Manufacturers of Doors, Sash, Blinds, Mouldings, Pickets, etc.--This is a steam-power establishment, employing some 50 to 60 hands, and doing a large and successful business. It was first established by Morris Smith about 1855. In the spring of 1867, Asa McConnell purchased the premises, which have since been enlarged more than four times their original capacity, and improved by the addition of all kinds of modern machinery adapted to the business carried on. They dress and manufacture into their various products about 4,000,000 feet of lumber per annum. The interest of Mr. Asa McConnell was purchased by his son, Floyd T. McConnell, in 1877, who has now associated with him his brothers, Benton and Philo F. McConnell, under the firm-name of McConnell & Co.
Mr. Asa McConnell is one of the oldest settlers now living in Steuben County.
George W. Terry's Flouring-Mill was built in 1856 by George and James Alley and William Bennett. In 1872, Mr. Terry bought the property. This mill has a capacity of 200 barrels per day, merchant and custom flour.
Rawson & Thacher are the proprietors of a large Foundry and Machine-Shops.
HOMEOPATHY IN HORNELLSVILLE.
Homeopathy met with strong opposition in the western part of the country during the early years of its history, and consequently its earlier advocates met with indifferent success. The first employment of homeopathic remedies in the treatment of the sick in Hornellsville was by Mrs. O. Sheldon, who came from Madison County in the year 1851, where she had been in active practice for some time, and to her belongs the honor of the introduction of homeopathy in this vicinity.
By her clear perception of disease and successful administration of remedies she secured a large circle of patrons and friends, doing much to overcome the prejudice existing against the system, and paving the way for its future success. For more than twenty years, and until homeopathy was well established, she held a good practice, and retired only by reason of declining years.
The next pioneer was Dr. Gray, who settled here about the year 1852, but remained only a short time. He was followed by Dr. Noble, during the year 1856, who remained about two years, doing more, but it seems an unsatisfactory business, for he left for more promising fields.
Dr. Morgan came here in 1860, and secured quite a patronage, which he held for several years, riding from Hornellsville into the adjoining towns. His wife was an earnest advocate of the advantages of homeopathy, and became something of an adept in administering to the sick in the absence of her husband.
J. E. Seeley, M.D., located in Hornellsville in 1866. Having graduated at Philadelphia and spent a year or more in the services of the United States navy, he was well posted in his profession, and although young in practice, he did much to satisfy the public that homeopathy was more than a myth; that it was in fact founded in nature, scientific in character, successful in application, and entitled to the candid consideration of an enlightened public. Dr. Seeley made many warm friends during the four years of his practice here. In 1871 he removed to Scottsville, N.Y.
Dr. H. C. Orcutt succeeded Dr. Seeley. He came from Vermont, where he had been practicing homeopathy for the previous eighteen years. He was born in Moretown, Vermont, April 16, 1822, his father removing to Montpelier soon after, where he spent his boyhood days. He studied with Asa George, M.D., of East Calais, and graduated in medicine in October, 1845, at Dartmouth College, an allopathic institution.
In June, 1846, he married Helen M. George, daughter of his former preceptor.
On graduating he immediately began the practice of medicine in Troy, N.Y., following the system which he had been taught for the six succeeding years, during which time his observations of the success of a homeopathic competitor led him to believe that there was real merit in the new system of medicine, and a more thorough investigation convinced him of its decided superiority, when he abandoned the old system and, removing to Orleans County, in 1853, began the practice of homeopathy, which he followed successfully up to the time of his removal to Hornellsville, in 1878. The marriage of his only daughter to Dr. Z. G. Bullock, of Alleghany, N.Y., induced him to make this change,--that the family might not be widely separated.
During the nine years of his residence in Hornellsville Dr. Orcutt has had a full practice.
In 1873 he associated with him Dr. C. W. Brown, a graduate of the Homeopathic Medical College of Chicago. This partnership existed about a year, when Dr. Brown withdrew, continuing practice a year or more, when he removed to Hammondsport, N.Y., and subsequently to Danville.
Dr. Orcutt continued alone in practice until the spring of 1878, when he became associated with Dr. W. E. Hathaway, which partnership still continues.
Dr. Hathaway is a graduate of the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia. He came to Hornellsville the latter part of 1877, from Elkland, Pa., where he had been in active practice several years.
Dr. J. L. Gage, formerly of Scottsville, N.Y., came to Hornellsville some time during the year 1877, remained about a year, and removed to Baltimore, Md. He was succeeded by Dr. McPherson, a recent graduate of the Homeopathic College of Philadelphia.
During the whole period covered by the foregoing history there has been no homeopathic physician, other than those mentioned, located within a radius of twenty miles. Homeopathy rapidly gained favor during the past few years, has now its proportionate share of adherents, and its future prosperity is certain.
MILITARY RECORD OF HORNELLSVILLE.