Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Historic Theaters & Other Entertainment of the Tri-Counties
Postcards & Photos
1959- History of Theaters in Mansfield PA
Twain Theater, Mansfield PA - Road To Singapore Playing
Pastime Theater
Township: Mansfield Borough, Tioga County PA
Photographer - 
Year: 1959
Mansfield Advertiser article
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Richmond Township / Mansfield Borough Page
More Theater & Entertainment of the Tri-Counties
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 

NEW OWNERS TAKE OVER AT TWAIN THEATRE
 Mr. and Mrs. John [Effie]  Antonio of Nelson and Mr. Harold E. Finnerty of Elkland are the new owners of the Twain Theatre, it has been announced by West's Farm Agency, local Real Estate Brokers who handled the sale. Mr. and Mrs. Antonio are well known in this area for their charter Bus Line and Mr. Finnerty is also connected with their service and has been connected with the Lyric Theatre in Elkland for fifteen years. Mr. Antonio is a native of Elkland and Mrs. Antonio [Effie] is a native of Nelson and a niece of Mrs. Genevieve Lawrence of Mansfield. They have one daughter, Linda Jean, age 7. The new owners took possession on May 26 but the theatre will be closed for a week and reopen on June 5 with the picture "The Mating Game." In the past there were three theatres in Mansfield before the building of the Twain.

The first theatre was Union Hall, on the third floor of the Ross & Williams Bank Building, which is now the First National Bank. In 1888 the Hook & Ladder Co. built the Opera House on Wellsboro Street about where the Borough Building now stands. It burned in 1913. The third theatre was the first motion picture house in Northern Pennsylvania. It opened in 1907 across from the Opera House on Wellsboro Street. It also burned in 1916. At that time it was operated by F. F. Van Norman. During 1916 the Star Theatre was built by W. A. McCausland and E. G. Cornwell and it was later purchased by the Van Norman family. It stood on the site of the present Twain Theatre. For a while, prior to 1936, the Star was leased by Jack Myers of Blossburg and was called the Rialto. Later in 1936 the theatre was purchased by Harry A. Taylor and Harry Swain of Mansfield and after a complete renovation it opened as the Twain. Mr. Taylor later purchased the interest of Mr. Swain and continued his ownership until his death in 1950. Since Mr. Taylor's death, the Twain has been continued in operation by his wife, Mrs. Louise F. Taylor and managed by his son, William F. Taylor. The Taylors, through the years have given a fine contribution to the progress of the community in affording it a high standard of entertainment and in keeping step with the progress in the picture industry when each new inovation was made. During the years the improvements have included the installation of the cinemascope screen, new projection equipment, new furnaces, air conditioning, new lobby and front. Mansfield has been fortunate in having had the Taylor family to give them such fine opportunities for entertainment in the past and is again fortunate to have new owners whose intention is to carry on the fine traditions of good wholesome entertainment set by their predecessors.


Note from Joyce - Since the Twain Closed in 1981, there have been no theaters opened in Mansfield since. It is without a movie theater. As of 2005, there are two video stores, but in the past they have come and gone as well. As of 2010 the Mansfield Downtown Development Corporation, which is a group of local and university people, is organizing and planning  a new theater. See the lower photo on this page about the Mansfield Opera House and its successors on that location for the proposed design.
 
1927 Yearbook Ad 1936 Yearbook Ad 1937 & 1938 Yearbook Ad
1944 Drawing Tickets from Twain Theater
Joan NASH "O'Dell" Scrapbook
Inside the Twain - a full house
1954 Carontawan ad.
Wellsboro Gazette, 7 November 1984
Putnam Buys Two Buildings at Mansfield
The Putnam Company, 5 East Ave., Wellsboro, has purchased the Twain Theater building on South Main St., in Mansfield, and the adjacent building that currently houses Pumpernickel's Restaurant and the Mansfield chamber of Commerce office, from John Antonio of Tioga. Putnam had held a lease on the restaurant building since 1967, but had experienced problems finding adequate parking area for the 125 seat facility. The theater building, which has been unused since 1980, will be torn down to make way for a parking lot in the near future.
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 01 MAY 2005
By Joyce M. Tice
Email: Joyce M. Tice

You are the  visitor since the counter was installed on 01 MAY 2005