Mansfield Advertiser Print Jobs : Mementos from Local Businesses in the 1880s
Object ID:
1014.1077.a
Title:
Order Form – A. M. Spencer
New Valley Mills, Canoe Camp, Pa.
Choice Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Feed and Meal
Scope & Content:
Order Form – A. M. Spencer
New Valley Mills, Canoe Camp, Pa.
Choice Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Feed and Meal
[Retan 1957] The New Era Mills were built by the Sherwoods as a grist mill and clothes pin factory. The building was sold, in 1888, to B. V. Strait. In 1893 Strait took in Charles Kingsley as a partner, and in 1897 Kingsley bought the business. He ran it with his son Ralph, and later Ralph alone, until 1933. It was then sold to Harry and Herbert Kohler, with Dean and Lee as managers.
[1897 History ]– The New Era Mills, on Main street near Corey creek , were erected in 1882 by the New Era Manufacturing Company, composed of Albert Sherwood, L.L. Flower, Clark B. Sherwood and Andrew Sherwood. The plant, which originally consisted of a four–run steam grist–mill and a clothes pin factory, cost $12,000. The clothes pin factory has been discontinued. Since July, 1893, the grist–mill has been operated by Strait & Kingsley. It is devoted to merchant and custom milling.
Date:
1884
Click to Enlarge
Order Form - A. M. SpencerOrder Form - A. M. Spencer