Mansfield Advertiser Print Jobs : Mementos from Local Businesses in the 1880s
Object ID:
1014.1034
Title:
Payment Form – D. H. Pitts & Co.
Dry Goods, Clothing, Notions, Groceries, etc. 1884
People:
Pitts, Daniel Holden
Scope & Content:
Payment Form – D. H. Pitts & Co.
Dry Goods, Clothing, Notions, Groceries, etc. 1884
Produce of All Kinds, Bought and Sold
One of the oldest businesses is the present T. W. Judge Co. In 1865 D. H. Pitts had a store in the neighborhood of the present 15 N. main Street. He later moved to a store located on S. Main Street just south of the present store. This store burned and in 1873 Pitts Bros. (Dan H. and Aaron) built the brick block at the southwest corner of Main and West Wellsboro Streets. D. H. bought out his brother, and later it was Pitts and J. M. Clark, 1883; then 1896 Pitts, Ed Ross and Tom Judge; in 1905, Pitts and Judge; and in 1908 The T. W. Judge Company. After the death of T. W. Judge in 1910 it was carried on by his son, Wade, until 1943 when, after his death, it was purchased by Herbert Peterson, who had been associated with him in the business. In 1884 the south addition to the block was built. In 1923, the smaller one story addition was built containing a grocery department, closed out in 1939. In 1931 the second story was remodeled and in 1955 new fronts were built to the center store and the old grocery store remodeled for a bakery.
Date:
1884
Click to Enlarge
Payment Form - D. H. Pitts & Co.Payment Form - D. H. Pitts & Co.